Speaker 1: We're Tom Lorenzo and this is the Bitter Kitten Movie Club. Hallo Kittens, Welcome back to another edition of the b k MC is supplemental edition of the PSO podcast where we take a look at one film and unpack it and I want to say terror to shreds, but although we might actually tear this one dish, this week's film is Mac Is the Bride, directed by Maggie and written by Maggie chillenhol starring Jesse Buckley, Christian Bill, Annette Benning, Uh Peter Sars, Guard Cruz Jake, all of Maggie's friends.
Speaker 2: Family, family she hired.
Speaker 1: I was really looking forward to this entry because we hadn't seen it, and because it's modern, it's from the last year, and you know, a lot of the films we've been doing lately have been films we you know, really really well, or films that are like thirty or forty years old. So it's nice to return to the modern era and also to unpack a film that, honestly, I didn't have a lot of information going into it. I wanted to see this film when the trailer first dropped like eighteen months ago, and it looked amazing to me. And I know I read a few reviews when it came out, but I genuinely did not know what the film was. I knew it was a Bonnie and Clyde take on the Barida Frankens s liign, but I really went into this one cold.
Speaker 2: I was surprised that he kind of disappeared.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was there was a well it didn't get good reviews, right, you know, and well, I do want to say, let's start with this Magigillen. Hall's directorial debut was twenty twenty One's feature debut was twenty twenty ones The Lost Daughter, which we talked about on our podcast at the time, which is a very good and it's a very good film. However, I came away from this film with the idea that, Okay, she's not fully baked as a director yet. She really she's got skills, she's got a perspective, she's got a great visual sense. But I don't feel that. I look at the Bride and I'm like, this is the this is the work of someone who's just not there yet. And I do want to say that part of this was colored by her appearance. A couple of weeks ago, Magagillen Hall she appeared on Turner Classic Movies to introduce some films in one of the one of their programs they bring on yes and they and.
Speaker 2: They usually a director or an actor, y, yeah.
Speaker 1: And they and one of the and one of the films that she introduced was Bebbet's Feast, which we had just done a b KMC about. So we were watching it and I was alarmed. Actually, I was like, oh, okay, she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. Like Ben Mangawitz, the host actually had to push back again she got a couple of things wrong, and you know, it's fine if you don't if you get a few things factually wrong in the discussion of a film, but it was more like her perspective on that film was just not correct. It was you know, she at one point she said all of the elderly actors were not actors, and he was like, actually, no, they are like legend legends in Danish filmmaking. And then at another point she said the director was only interested in Babet and he made everybody else look terrible, So that Babbitt and it was like, no, that's not what's going on in this story. So I did come away from that thinking she's interesting, but I don't think she's quite there yet as a director. She doesn't seem to get certain nuances. And I understand I'm laying all this groundwork because I know that people are going to think that sounds condescending or dismissive of a female director. I can't really help that. Like I said, her debut film I thought was amazing, amazing. I think she's very talented. But between that interview and this film, I came away thinking, Okay, she's just not there yet. I want to see more from her. It's sort of like Olivia Wilde when she did Don't Worry Darling. It just wasn't a fully baked film. And my understanding is that her new film, The Invite, is supposed to be amazing. I'm not diminishing a female director. I'm pointing out that a lot of times when actors move into directing, they don't always get it right right, and some of them need time to figure it out. And that was my take on The Bride, was that great ideas, really great ideas, great visuals. She pulled out some amazing performances, although really Frankly, the only truly amazing performance was Jesse Buckley, and I think probably you just need to point a camera at Jesse Buckley, But I don't want to diminish her as a director and as a writer. It's an accomplishment this film, and there's a lot about it that I actually really really loved, and very little about it that I hate. In fact, I can't say that I hate any part of it. I just kept getting frustrated with it because it just didn't feel like she was following through on some of her concepts. That's my intro.
Speaker 2: What do you want to say? True? Is that Windy announced The Bride the movie. I was very excited about it. I was like, that's interesting. It's a different take. We're going to focus on the bride and not on freakancy. And then when I read that she was going to be directed in the movie, I was like, of course, she's a feminist. She's a wonderful person. She's actually very interesting as a person.
Speaker 1: And as an artist.
Speaker 2: As an artist, she has very interesting things to say about the industry, about women in general and all that. So I was like, she's perfect for that. So I was very looking forward to and then when it was also announced that Jesse Buckley was going to be the Brider, I was like, all right, perfect match. So I was curious about it. I watched the trailer and I was like, all right, great, let's see. And then I kind of forgot about it because people stopped talking about it and it didn't get very good reviews, as you said, and then I just was like, well, i'll watch it later. So I watch it. We watched it separately, we didn't watch it together. My first reaction, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not because I was watching The Pillies game less.
Speaker 2: Yes, while I was watching The Bride. Yeah, my first reaction was like, what the hell am I watching here? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You were annoyed.
Speaker 2: I was like, what is going on here? It's just felt like too much. Then I read a ton of interviews with her and the pretty much. She admits that it was too much for her, that she was a little scared, and that she felt like overwhelmed most of the time. And then every interview.
Speaker 1: She's sorry to say that comes across, and every interview.
Speaker 2: She gave, she talks about how today most of the movies are don't really are defined by a gender, I'm sorry, a genre and she feels like, and then she mentions like one bet or after another or whatever she talks about that, well, look at that movie, for example, you know what is that? So she every interview she kept repeating the same thing that movies today are not really defined by one genre, and she felt like she wanted to do something like that. And I feel that's why the movie feels a little all over the place. Sometimes. You know, it's it's a musical, it's a horror movie, it's a love story, it's all that, which is fine, But at first I don't. I don't think. I think for a movie to succeed, that's just my opinion, you really have to have a core. You have to have a basic understanding, right of what message you get?
Speaker 1: What are you trying to say here? What is the point of making this movie?
Speaker 2: What is the message here? I agree, what is the takeaway here? Otherwise the audience is lost, you know, the viewer is lost. That's how I feel about it. So in the beginning, I was like, what am I watching here? I had no idea, and so that was it. I appreciate many things about it. Anyway, we'll talk about all the details.
Speaker 1: But let me that was my first thing, so generally on the same page, and I don't think there's gonna be much disagreement about where we where this film fails for us. So before we turned on the mics, I brought this up and we both said, all right, let's talk about that on the mic, which was I really didn't get the whole Mary Shelley thing. I just didn't get it. It felt very confused to me. It had me running off. I mean, I knew the broad particulars of Mary Shelley life and everything, but the idea to portray her as this sort of I mean, she came off fairly crazy, right, she came off like unstable. She came off I don't know. It's not for me to unpack who Mary Shelley was. If that's the version of her that you wanted for this film, that's fine. I just I what are you doing here? Like, what's the point? You know, Mary Shelley is the author of the Frankenstein story, but you actually placed her in this story and then you had your lead character possessed by her. What is the point? First off, it confuses the viewer because is this meta or not? Or are we I mean, at a certain point. I guess we were supposed to believe that Mary Shelley from the Grave is telling another version of this story, and but that's not how the film plays out, or the film gets very confused about how that sort of thing plays out. Another example of this is and yeah, you can be you can interpret these things anyway you like. But I feel like if you don't as a director, if you don't have a point for showing me this, then you're just confusing me. At the very end of the film, when they're in the drive in theater and he's talking to her and then they both appear on the screen. Now they had that happen earlier in the film, and yeah, that's a subjective thing there in the movies, and they see themselves up on screen. But the way that scene was shot, Penelope Cruz also saw them up on screen. She kept reacting to them on screen, And I'm like, you can do this, you can do this sort of fantasy based thing, the interpretive sort of thing, but you have to have a reason for it. And I don't understand what's the reason for that, right.
Speaker 2: I think there's too many elements tried to be injected. Yeah, at the same time, My understanding is she gave interviews, She gave me interviews, and she talks about how well the writer Mary Shelley, Well, apparently I don't know much. I don't know all the details. But apparently it was kind of a dare when she wrote the book, you know, because she was a woman and she wanted to prove that she could write a book as a woman to her friends and all that, and she told that story. So I think in the idea here was to what if she had a different story in her head, or if she framing does not support that, what if she had a different character, or what if she wanted to develop the Bride more, you know, as a full on, you know character, because the apparently this movie is based on the nineteen thirty five version of Frankenstein correct the Bride of Frankenstein. And apparently in the movie, the nineteen thirty five version, the Bride only appears for like two minutes or whatever, like she's not right. And so the whole idea was to write a movie and direct a movie about focusing on the bride. And so what if Mary Shelley had all these ideas that she never used for the Bride? But and I got that, all right. I'm looking at Mary Shelley here in the beginning of the movie, but why is Jesse Buckley playing her?
Speaker 1: So that was very confused, Bob of me as much as what are you trying to everything that you were saying that's lovely? That does not come across in the film, right, But that's I think I I think it's very clear that she wanted to look at this from a feminist perspective, right, I mean in a way that's almost like, well, why would you not? I mean, you're a female director making this movie in twenty twenty five, how could you not?
Speaker 2: And focusing on the bride obviously.
Speaker 1: So, so she cast a woman as the mad scientist, and she cast a woman as sort of the lead constable who's trying to track down these monsters.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So all of the basic characters of Frankenstein were gender switched. But then she did nothing with that. There's a little bit of time where Annette Benning unpacks her own history as a mad scientist and her own history with these kinds of experiments, and apparently she had a husband that she res but she doesn't go anywhere with it, and a net Benning just drops out of the film for like an hour. Similarly with Penelope Cruz, I get what you're trying to do. I do, but at the same token, if you're not doing it in a way that's strong and makes sense, that I am stuck asking a bunch of questions like why is a Spanish woman working as a detective in Chicago in the nineteen thirties? Like of course I'm taken out by that, And yeah, I mean, I guess you could just throw you know, history and just let her be a female detective in the nineteen thirties, as if that was something that existed, Like sure, just you don't have to explain. But then they had a male cop, go who are you? And why am I taking orders from you? Like you can have it both ways. You can gender switch these stories in a way that is historically inaccurate, much in the same way you would have all these for instance, black aristocrats in Bridgeton. You're deliberately switching it up. But then you can't have characters act like you know, you can't have characters comment on it, essentially, because then it pulls you right out of the story and we'll get into the performances because I know you have things you want to say about Penelope Cruise's performance. We'll do that after the break, but right now I'm just focused on conceptually. This film did not work for me. You pointed out that it is a musical or horror film, a love story, or it tries to be all three of those things, And as soon as she said that, I was like, well, that actually sounds like an interesting movie, Like it's not impossible to do a musical horror love story. The thing is that I never got the sense that that was what she was doing. In fact, it wasn't until the final shot of the two monsters grasping hands as they that was when I was like, oh, she's really doing this as a love story, because it was pretty confused up until that point. And this is what I keep coming back to. Fine, you want to do this as a love story, well you can't spend the entire film having Frankenstein lie to her about what he did, about what her name is, about who right, and then have her what just forgive that. They never get to that point. They never really explain why she makes that shift at the end of the film, like she was really angry when she found out that he had lied to him and then okay, no, it's a love story. Similarly, Listen, I did laugh when they started doing putting on the Ritz. I don't know if you got the reference, but it is a reference to young Frankenstein. It's an iconic reference to young Frankenstein. But again, there needs to be some consistency when you apply that sort of thing. Similarly, at the end of the film, when the credits were rolling, they played the monster match, and again it's like, if you wanted a campy take on the iconography of Frankenstein and you wanted to make all these references, I would be on board with that, But you can't drop in one every hour and then not follow up. So yeah, I actually thought the musical number was fun. It was fun to watch. They were all screaming their heads off, and the choreography was really great. Didn't really wasn't really well explained about what was going on in that scene. But the thing is, you can't just have one musical number dropped in the middle of a movie. You got to follow up on that. There has to be an aesthetic, there has to be a consistency to that world. So quite frankly, there should have been more than one musical number, right.
Speaker 2: She explains a lot about the process of making the movie and why she did certain things. She talks about the you know, very much inspired by nineteen thirties musicals and how fake there were, the Hollywood fantasy of the nine thirties and that's why they.
Speaker 1: Had which is not a very sophisticated take on that at all. It's just like, I'm sorry, it's not I.
Speaker 2: Feel that, like things are not very consistent, and they I don't know, they feel like separate elements in the movie. It doesn't feel like.
Speaker 1: One now, there's no cohesion to it.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's not one big thing. But anyway, I, like I said, at first, I was like, I have no idea what I'm watching, but I'm gonna watch it and you know, go with it, and again everyone is great. I also, I actually thought that that Benny did a very good job with whatever she had. I mean, she came across as this intelligence and I liked that that approach, that she was an intelligent woman, didn't wasn't surprised by anything, like you know, she you know, just yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, why don't we take a short break and then we'll get into some of the performances, and also some of the things like you just did that we actually like about this because I have to. I don't hate this movie. I just think it's a deeply flawed one. Okay, all right, we'll be right back. We're back chatting about The Bride. And I did want to get into some of the performances. I mean, the performances are fun across the board. I don't there's not a single one that I didn't like. Jesse Buckley fucking amazing, I mean seriously, and especially when she had to do the rapid fire shifts between she was playing Ida, she was playing the Bride, she was playing Mary Shelley, and she would sometimes have to do all three in the same sentence. Fun to watch, great to watch. And when she does that primal scream thing like just you just feel it coming up from her.
Speaker 2: She's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she is completely wild.
Speaker 2: I did not understand the split personel and in the beginning before she actually died, So I don't get that.
Speaker 1: I don't get any of that stuff. The Mary Shelley's I don't get it when she's not well utilized, when.
Speaker 2: She's at the restroom with everybody else or the club or whatever, and then she started like, well, speaking in tongues or whatever. It just made no sense to me. I was like, why is she doing that?
Speaker 1: I said, we were going to talk about the performances and what we liked. But that is one of the main flaws of how the story is told is that we are never told who Ida is. And I mean there is a certain as you pointed out, in the original BRIDI Frankenstein Elsa Lanchester is only in it for like two minutes and all she does is scream. She gets no lines, she gets no name. So this film is a response to that. So it's it's we're going to have her speak her truth throughout the entire film over and over and over again, and we're going to have her seek out her name, right, you know. But that quest to find out her name, to find out her identity has no weight to it because we the audience don't know who that person was. And I get it, there's like this twist at the end because she was working with the cops and blah blah blah. But I think the tragedy of Ida would have been a little bit more, a little easier for the audience to grasp if we had actually seen Ida as a fully realized person, right, We never got to see that. She started acting crazy in her first scene and then she was dead two minutes later.
Speaker 2: I think the scene's in the car when they actually having a conversation about when she questions him and then he finally tells the truth and she goes like, well, who was I? I don't know who I am. I don't know who I was.
Speaker 1: More of that, more of that exactly you had. She also had that idea about Ida or the bride inspiring women all over to go foul in, and it was just dropped in with no follow up. And I know that there was a post credit scene or whatever with those, but that was actually a good concept. You had an idea there, and you just didn't go with it because you kept throwing everything at the screen and.
Speaker 2: The Bonnie and Clyde thing, and then they're in the paper and that's why every women in the country was trying to write it's just be her.
Speaker 1: It was trying to do too much, all right. More about the performances, I thought Christian Bale gave a great profile. I thought he was also he actually found humor in that character. And you know it's you kind of inevitably are going to compare it to Jacob e Loordi. Both of these films came out in the same year Gamma Del Torros Frankenstein and this. And I had my issues with Del Torros Frankenstein, mostly because I don't think Frankenstein is a is a sexual slash romantic figure. I don't think he works that well. That's more of a vampire thing than a Frankenstein thing. So and then Jacob Elordi was this highly romanticized version of the character, borderline beautiful. I mean, they did make him look like but he was borderline beautiful. And I didn't agree with that, and I didn't like it. And Christian bale I was like that that's closer to what if you want to do a romantic frank and sign, that's what you do. You do this pathetic, somewhat grotesque figure, and they did. They made the point of showing like he's not some beautiful His body was grotesque, right, And he's like an inceel, like he doesn't understand women at all, he doesn't understand roman at all. He wants it, and that wanting is you know, it's your heartbreaks for him, but at the same time, you're like, no, this person should never ever ever enter you know, no. And I think he managed to straddle that line where you feel the romantic side of this character, but you also know there is no way that this character is literally a monster.
Speaker 2: No. Again, he's conversation with the doctor the scientists. It was very interesting when he's talking about like, you know, I want to feel somebody, I want to you know, I want to feel love and all that have have apartments.
Speaker 1: Really well done, and and.
Speaker 2: You know the scientists like, yeah, well, yeah, all right. I had that it's not a big deal. But you know, she she doesn't understand that, you know it. He never experienced anything. So I just thought it was moments like that. I thought it were interesting and deep in a way, but then it sort of like evaporates and then then we're back to them dancing or running with a gun. Yeah. I mean it's beautiful. It looked beautiful. The costumes were gorgeous. The everything about it looked beautiful. It looked expensive.
Speaker 1: The production design is amazing, the costumes, especially obviously hers.
Speaker 2: Yes again, uh.
Speaker 1: Sandy Powell, the legendary costume designer, did the costumes for this and again I don't mean to sound condescending, but cogentle on Hale gave an interview and I was like, oh, girl, you you really don't have the instinct shit where she fought with Powell about the orange dress and she's like, it's too bright. I wanted a brown dress, and Sandy Powell apparently said to her, I don't do brown. And they fought over this, and you know she she admitted Maggie gentle on Hale, she said, when I saw it on set at night, I realized that Sandy Powell is a genius. And I was like, Weney, it took you too long to come to that realization. I mean, the best thing about the one of the best things about the films is the visualization of her is how not just the orange dress, but the hair, the hair, the stain on her face and everything. At one point she picks up a piece of black tool and puts it in her hair like a veil. Just clever shit like that. And then if you look the like her, her tights are like turquoise and her boots are red. And none of this, none of this is accurate to the nineteen thirties, Like those boots that she was wearing were straight out of the Victorian era. The whole thing had sort of a steampunk vibe to it. But it looked amazing to be a film, and Doctor Euphronis's laboratory also looked amazing on films, just had that universal pictures kind of nineteen thirties. One final thing about that all of these references. You have references to Young Frankenstein and the Monster mash and but you don't really have it. You set this film in the nineteen thirties, which is when the original Frankenstein films came out, and you even refer like I said that her laboratory had a certain Universal Pictures feel to it. I thought that would be more of an homage to Elsa Lanchester somewhere in that film, and I didn't see it. You're making all these other references, but you're not going to reference the original iconic bride of Frankenstein. That seems strange to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I again, I think she had too many ideas. I think she wanted a modern take. Maybe that's why she avoided the original movie. And you know, there's a ton of elements and they're interesting, but when you put them all together, it feels like too much and there's not a I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was a good idea for a movie, but yeah, she just didn't follow through on it. And I am looking forward to what she does next because I do think she's interesting and creative, but everything about this film felt underbaked and confused.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and I think everybody gate. I mean, for the most part, everyone gave a phenomenal performance. I do think Penelopecrusis is an amazing actress. Yeah, she is absolutely fantastic. If you haven't watched any any one of her Almodover movies, I mean, she's incredible, incredible.
Speaker 1: But she struggled with this.
Speaker 2: But she she's not good in English. That's the bottom line here.
Speaker 1: She's not She's not good in English. She can be good, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think she can. But anyway, I think it's it And because the character is not very well developed, you know, there's not much there as a character, you combine both and it was just like what are you doing there? I mean that's how I felt the whole time. I mean, like, what's the point of this character? And it's you know, she's not doing a very good job.
Speaker 1: I think the film. I'm sorry, go ahead, Yeah, I think she had this concept, like I said, with the female constable, female and scientist, but then she muddled it up because she wanted her husband in there and she wanted her brother in there. So there were like storylines with these two male characters that are just muddying up this story. If you had focused on the female detective, as odd as that character was, and the female scientist and the female monster, you could have had something there, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, it took me a while to understand, what's your fascination with this? With this you know actor? Right, and even that was not well and then like and then and then she when she gave interviews, she talks about like, well, he was he's fascinated with movies and musicals and blah blah blah, and then with with and then his attraction to the bride is because she's she's sort of like an actress.
Speaker 1: It was it just so it was not well fought out. And that's basically, uh huh, the take on this film. Do you have anything else you want to add?
Speaker 2: No? I mean I I I have to say that when I watched it last night and then when I finished it, I went to bed and I was like, oh my god, what did I just watch? But then I woke up this morning and I thought more about it, and I things begin to make more sense.
Speaker 1: It's definitely an interesting idea for a film.
Speaker 2: Right, And I was like, all right, now I get certain things. And then I watched a couple of interviews. I was like, all right, but again, we talk about this all the time. You wouldn't have You shouldn't have to do all this homework now to appreciate some form of art.
Speaker 1: I agree. So an interesting take, but way too confused and muddled. That's it for us this week. I have to put together a list of films for July's BKMC, which I have not done yet, and I don't think it's going up until Monday, so I don't have a list for you just as of yet, and I don't I don't know how many. I think there are five Fridays July, in which case we might take next Friday off because it's July third, and who the hell's listening to a podcast on that weekend? So we'll be back soon. I just don't know when it'll either be next week. Or the week after with the next BKMC. Please check out Tom and Lorenzo dot com for the list of films to watch, and once again thank you for listening. I love you.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye