Speaker 1: And now gang Busters.
Speaker 2: Gangbusters presented in cooperation with police and federal law enforcement departments throughout the United States. The only national program that brings you authentic police case histories and night.
Speaker 3: Gangbusters presents the case of the Chicago federal gang would duck their way to it instolen currency until a ring leader's patient for saving an dollar lets them in the whole.
Speaker 2: Gangbusters has asked Lieutenant Thomas J. McGrath, retired of the Chicago Police Department, to narrate by proxy to a Night's case. Thank you, Don Gardner. But first, I'd like to mention that one of your Gangbusters listeners, a Missouri sheriff, just last Sunday he apprehended a murder suspect from Ohio whose description he had first heard on Gangbusters. I think that the sheriff and Gangbusters deserve a lot of credit for this latest assist to law enforcement.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you, Lieutenant McGrath.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, we hope to have the sheriff himself tell the story of this capture to our Gangbusters listeners on a later program. But now, how about tonight's case. Well done. This case had its beginnings in the city of Chicago, just about a year ago, on a cold, windy morning inside the candy store, she ran Bella Mama, as she was known, straightened the magazines left pored over by the kids who dropped in on the way to school to spend their nickels. Playing her punchboards. She heard a bell on the front door tinkle, and looked up to see a slightly built redhead man come in out of the coal. Uh.
Speaker 5: Lean, now, if you expect warm, go to Flora.
Speaker 2: It's coming. Don't worry, it's coming. You gotta scratch, he said, you know, eleven o'clock on the scrutchy.
Speaker 6: Hey, hey, I just straight.
Speaker 5: Out of the magazines.
Speaker 2: Keep your hands off, okay, okay, gotta do something waiting for Nick.
Speaker 5: Nick's here in the back.
Speaker 2: He told me he's gonna get a haircut.
Speaker 5: He's getting a haircut in the back.
Speaker 2: You're kidding.
Speaker 5: And Juliet, they teach Harry the Great to be barber, so Nick lets him practice and save a few cents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't make any difference that Harry Butcher save a few cents. That's important. Uh oh, it's important. Yeah, I know. In back and just tell you no, bring me a scratcheet when I get here, will you buy the moment? Hello? Nick?
Speaker 1: A man ran old your head still?
Speaker 2: Will your niggays through? Harry, I'm getting nervous, okay, your next thread? No thanks, what's the matter. I'm doing a beautiful job on Nick. You's get through and keep the hair from running down the back of my neck, so you'll take a bed. Stay careful about them, bess, Nick, they run up the water bills. You've got some objection to saving money and make big. I spend big A ten cent tip to a barber. I think nothing about it. Okay, you don't have to get wise. Is everything's sent sets at eleven? They're okay. I want to clean job'll steal the air. I don't spell it, the read the works. It's an easy mark neck fifteen or twenty thousand, no less how much you cut the hair. Okay, but after that haul, I'll throw the scissors right down. The sewer's haven't been and the money way. I can get there about eleven o'clock in the morning, maybe a few minutes sooner. A few minutes later, and the burger alarm. Two cashier's cages, foot button in each of'em.
Speaker 1: Foot button.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's not good? Cut their hair? Well, your guy can't even have an opinion around here? What about the gift shop next though? Yeah, that's the ticket, all right, Nick, it's the one man outfit. The guy opens up for business about nine in the morning. Okay, we do it that way. Well, we have any trouble getting in the gift shop, none that I can see, Nick, is a window in the alley. Two minutes with a jimmy and we're inside. Hey, what's the gift shop got to do with this? With taking the check, cash and outfit? What do we want with the gift shop? Then they say hair cut? Will you tell me what the gift shop has got to do with it?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Finish their haircut? I think that's the only thing I got to do with this is cut your hair. You know I got a stake in this thing too. You know, we got a burglar alund to worry about. We can't walk into the joint nice that Just like that, one of those cash heirs will step on the button. Well, what do you need the gift shop for? You tell him? Right, telling yourself, Well, somebody tell me. Look, we break in the gift shop the night before. So we go to work on the wall.
Speaker 1: What what war.
Speaker 2: Do you think? The war between the gift shop and the check cash and joint. Oh, we cut it down to a thin layer of plaster. The truck delivers the money bags, the truck goes. We take a sledgehammer, knockout the plaster. Or in the gym? What's the matter of walking in the front door?
Speaker 1: Is too simple for us?
Speaker 2: We gotta make it a big production. Look, we knock out the wall. We're in back of the cashier's cage. We can see that they don't put their foot on the button. We make a cleaner getaway. Hey, what about the guy that runs the gift shop? What's he gonna do? He's gonna stand around and help us. We'll take care of him. A and and his customers.
Speaker 1: Who's gonna take care of them?
Speaker 2: There won't be any customer. Nah, the shape will be down, there'll be a nice sign closed, and a kind of death in the family. Nick, why it's half to nine. It's five alfter nine? Okay, it's five after nine. Just keep your head down.
Speaker 7: When is he coming?
Speaker 2: What do you think? He's a railroad conductor. He can be five minutes late. He owns a store. Yeah, and for just that reason. He ain't gonna like the hole we cutt in this wall. Shut up with your henry, get mere right and what is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure be down by the last layer of plaster. Don't worry about it. One good wall for the slutch handleway through. They think it's men for Mars, Mars. If this is Mars, or there's a guy there, okay, we jumping as soon as he gets inside, get it here.
Speaker 1: Shut out.
Speaker 2: You gotta come here, you he said, come in, don't you wise, don't you We won't shoot it was neat nick na set up in the names. I come back and get 'em time. Yeah, come on, go on, do it yourself. He won't give you any trouble. He's heavy.
Speaker 7: What's your out with you?
Speaker 2: We gotta work this thing out her.
Speaker 7: Come on you shut you gotta.
Speaker 2: Get the sign up. Okay, by the way, wait a minute. What the money truck pulls up at eleven o'clock, Well, then you you go outside and waite for it. Uh, sell themost two hours go outside and wait in the street and give me the eye sign when the money truck pulls away.
Speaker 1: Okay, boys, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Left it, yeah, sure, left it down. What do you say when we waiting for it? I shoot your back? Then? Oh he ain't going no plane? Okay, grandma, let me slench it all right, I got mine, I stand back. Get easy, but yeah, get on that side. Yeah, if you want to send right time set Okay, I want to give the word.
Speaker 1: Both of you.
Speaker 7: Knock out the wall.
Speaker 2: I'll jump through with the gun and you can run after him. Yeah, yeah, come on, come on, give the wood set Harry. I'm sad, okay, not get thrown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna get upon.
Speaker 5: Lady.
Speaker 6: Can you put away?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 6: Come it? That's it down the back?
Speaker 2: You bet your boot?
Speaker 6: Okay, on you move to the back.
Speaker 2: God move, I'm on, come on, all.
Speaker 7: Right, in a closet, all of it getting there with him?
Speaker 2: You shut it all right?
Speaker 1: Lock it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? They got that?
Speaker 1: Do Yeah?
Speaker 2: Come on, I'm on, let's go.
Speaker 6: Well or does it come to neck?
Speaker 2: Let me? He added, when you're in two m yeah, fourteen thousand, three hundred and thirty two and some change. Who needs a change? Come on, cut it up. Why don't you wait for Harry to get back from dumping a car? He didn't get his You take it and you cut it three ways, just a second? Where you go? It gets a second? Dalla mana, yeah, I Nick, come here matter?
Speaker 1: Wait him?
Speaker 2: Sure, Nick, that's the matter. Come on, come on, what's the idea? Nick? Telling my mom? How'd you like to make a first s? You know this is a real morning.
Speaker 1: What do you think it is?
Speaker 2: Jelly beans? Listened?
Speaker 1: Valla mama?
Speaker 2: When Harry gets back here, someing things got awfully hot. A couple of cops are around. Uh huh, redden me. We flew the bout cell and then he should wait until the morrow morning and give me a ring on the telephone. Okay, poor Nick, you'll once just seeen. Sure they'll never mind. Why give her a hundred Renny? Okay, Fy, what do you take the one hundred and tell Harry? Huh? Okay, Nick, if you say one hundred, hey, I.
Speaker 7: Twenty forty.
Speaker 2: Go on, Bella mama, get out front.
Speaker 5: Sure you want a spotch sheet?
Speaker 3: Ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Then he ain't got time for horses today. Go on, Bella Mama, Yeah, I'm going what's the pitch?
Speaker 1: Nick?
Speaker 2: Harry's good for cutting hair, but he wouldn't know what to do with this kind of dough. He worked in me he's got his slice coming. Don't seven grand sound better to you than four and a half? A little better? Harry won't be so pleased. Well, style on my mom, I got another job just like this. When it's all set, you could use his help. Then they kiss off. Look, kid, you do this to Harry, maybe you got me in the and now don't give me that now a red business. I know how you are with the buck. They cut it half in two right now, there's plenty cut it happened too right now, Okay, if you want it that way, yeah, I want it that way. What happens about Harry when he wises up in Somati? You don't think there's enough water in the leak? Yeah? Yeah, I guess there's plenty. But we need him on the other jobs that we storm. Okay, man, yeah, okay, come on, let's split it half in two, so dawn. Within an hour after this sensational robbery, the ring leaders were already planning to dispose of the weakest member of the gang and share the money between themselves. But what criminals consider a weak link often proves the strongest wedge for investigating authorities. Now back to Gangbusters, Lieutenant McGrath you were telling us that a gang of bandits led by nick Lecoco held up a Chicago currency exchange and robbed it of a large sum of money. That's right, Don, and the first move of the police was to thoroughly question the witnesses in the case for information that might lead to an identification of these men. The next morning, Captain Rogers and the Chicago detectives went to the hospital where the gift shop proprietor was taken for treatment as a result of the blow on the head he'd received. While the victim rested, Captain Rogers sat alongside his bed, attempting to get facts that would be valuable in the investigation.
Speaker 4: Now, mister Kline, how much of a look did you get at these men?
Speaker 1: Not much at all.
Speaker 7: I'm afraid they hit me almost soon as I walked into this store.
Speaker 4: Would you be able to recognize any of them if you saw them again?
Speaker 2: The one that dragged me him back, I don't think i'd recognized his face, but when he was pulling me, I did notice something. Oh what he thought I was unconscious and I wanted him to think I was so he wouldn't hit me again. But when he was dragging me. I noticed he had a tattoo on his arm.
Speaker 4: Huh, a witch arm.
Speaker 2: Let's see now he's pulling me backwards. He had, Yes, it was right on between the wrist the ol bow.
Speaker 4: Do you remember what kind of a tattoo it was?
Speaker 7: Mister klein was a girl.
Speaker 2: I think the bathing beauty. Are you sure of that? Oh, I'm pretty sure it can't.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: I think this will be a lot of help to us, mister Kleine. If anything turns up, we'll be in touch with you.
Speaker 5: Hello, bellamma, Oh hello, all right, Say it's not safe here.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't care what's safe anymore. I'm trying to locate Mick.
Speaker 5: Well, I didn't see him since yesterday, not since the cops was round you.
Speaker 2: You didn't call him at the hotel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I called him, but he ain't there.
Speaker 2: I I gotta get in touch with him. He's got something of mine, you know, Harry.
Speaker 7: I like to help you, but I don't know nothing.
Speaker 2: Okay, give me a change for a quarter. I'll try to call him again.
Speaker 1: Sure you uh ain't seen read either, No, neither of them.
Speaker 6: Listen, alright, the cops with here.
Speaker 2: You'll get in through it. Give me it.
Speaker 1: Change, sure, I'll try him once more.
Speaker 2: Where you like that, I'll get it. Okay, Hello, Bella Mama's.
Speaker 7: Let me talk to Bella Mamas.
Speaker 1: Just Nick, Harry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Harry.
Speaker 7: I've been trying to reach you all over.
Speaker 2: What do you think I've been trying to do?
Speaker 3: I want my dough right, and.
Speaker 2: Maybe we had to fly.
Speaker 7: We think we're hot. We spent last night and tacked.
Speaker 2: The key and you had to leave me. Well, listen, I need the dough. Where can I meet you? We decided to pull another chap tomorrow and see the grown.
Speaker 7: Don't pick up tonight. You don't know where?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know where?
Speaker 7: But what about now?
Speaker 1: I want my end.
Speaker 7: You'll get it, you'll get it.
Speaker 2: We take what we get tomorrow.
Speaker 7: We had it together and split a bottle business.
Speaker 2: But I need it now. Be there a night. We'll talk about it. What's the talk about it?
Speaker 7: You'll be there.
Speaker 2: Come on, Nick, let's start splitting up the dough right now. This is the second in my job. Llry. Right now, we got more to think about than splitting up. There's a million cops in the neighborhood. Traffic's pretty bad, right, I think good? Well, look, this is the second job. I broke my back over and I ain't seen a dollar yet. Pull over right quick? Yeah, what's not listen, marry the traffic's having three guys in the car. Loups, there I go one. You take the street cut of all? Omama's out caught? How way I make it snappy? Will every cop and town is headed his way?
Speaker 1: Okay, give me this score.
Speaker 2: I'll take it to Bellamar Canet going when we can't stand here, come on, I'll phone Inn an hour. Okay, but be sure you do. We'll phone tomorrow right right. He'll never want to talk on the phone again.
Speaker 6: Yep, cash here made an identification the guy with the tattoo.
Speaker 2: Huh yep, she nailed one.
Speaker 6: Picture immediately, Harry Wagner, this one.
Speaker 1: Good, good works.
Speaker 4: Sargeants. Have you got a line on this present?
Speaker 1: Whereabouts?
Speaker 4: The record show is last day?
Speaker 1: I just could.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'll be right with.
Speaker 4: Your sergeant, Patan Rodgers. Oh where Cedar Grove?
Speaker 2: Cedar Grove?
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll get going out there.
Speaker 1: See you. Come on, sergeant, watch another currency and.
Speaker 2: Exchange stick up, same tunnel game. Let's get out there.
Speaker 6: I'm right with you.
Speaker 2: Hello, is this balle Mama's yeah it's you, Nick, Yeah, it's me, Harry.
Speaker 7: Where are you anyway?
Speaker 2: Never mind? Where we?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Listen?
Speaker 7: Wait, can I meet you? I want my end?
Speaker 2: What end?
Speaker 4: What end?
Speaker 7: Do you think the dove from those two June?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 7: What's going on?
Speaker 2: That's too much money for you? Harry?
Speaker 7: Listen there, I cut a right to my cut.
Speaker 2: I'll give you all right to something else. I'll get your things together and get out of town. Yeah, and I found out that better for you.
Speaker 7: They give me some of it.
Speaker 2: I kind of right, didn't you just hear me tell you the blood of time.
Speaker 7: I don't leave without my cut.
Speaker 2: Okay, Harry, I'll send a couple of guys over to see you.
Speaker 1: What for?
Speaker 2: Do you think you're gonna get pushed?
Speaker 7: I said, no, guys, I'll get it. I'll just give me a chance to go home and get my stuff to get it.
Speaker 6: I'll give you nothing.
Speaker 2: Well run. You like the way I handle it?
Speaker 7: Not too well?
Speaker 2: No, you think you coulda done better? You got his cut while scared of the death. He might want another free haircut sometime. The more he's scared the fasties out of time, Nick hero one day with Harry, I just think twice before you try something like that on me. Open up, Harry up, Let's push the door in, Sergeant.
Speaker 6: Looks like that's the only way we'll get in, and he's got it.
Speaker 2: Bulleted me inside, all right together once more, Skiffin. Then okay, Harry.
Speaker 6: Must be around some place in the closet.
Speaker 2: Watch him out.
Speaker 4: Okay, Harry, come out of that closet.
Speaker 6: Come out of there. We'll shoot through the door.
Speaker 2: Come on now, listen, right, guys, Please don't get out of town. Tell me if you can keep my cut, I'll get out of No, tell me. I don't want to get pushed. I'll get out. You can have you can have my end. You're end of what Harry?
Speaker 4: The tunnel jobs.
Speaker 2: You? Who are you? Guys? He didn't send you Diddy?
Speaker 1: Your law?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Harry, we're law.
Speaker 2: What were you saying about Nick? Nick? Nick? I? I don't know any such guy. Nick, Well, you don't know. Come on, let's go down town. We'll see how much you do now, Red.
Speaker 6: Hell Nick, how are you doing?
Speaker 4: Surnama?
Speaker 2: Thanks? Hey buying the drinks. You've got plenty of dolls. So if you listen for the last time, don't make any more cracks. About me being tight with it out Okay, okay, forget it. Yeah you hear anything from Harry now as you he's the left town. Okay. So now I said, look bad, I got another guy lined up and another job prettier than the last two. What do we do with the other guy at the job? Something like Harry maybe? Or is it me this time? I'll just watch your step, Nick, Harry, And there entirely different guys more ways than one. Hey bot tenners over here, Well, captain, I'd say, Harry don't know any more. And he's told us nothing I'm doing on that hotel address he gave for Nick U.
Speaker 6: Now Nick checked out three days ago and read him too, And.
Speaker 4: I don't like guess Bella Mamma's candy store is the only bet.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 4: But it's a good bet.
Speaker 2: Okay, keep a set up on the place. One of them's bound to show up there sooner or later, from force of habit of nothing else. When one shows up, he'll lead us to the other. Now back to Gangbusters.
Speaker 5: Oh go on, Oh Red, alright, you don't like Bella Mamma no more?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 6: I love you, Bella Mamma.
Speaker 2: I love you like a mother.
Speaker 5: I don't see you no more.
Speaker 1: Eh, you know how things?
Speaker 2: Uh? I got a fast mottling business.
Speaker 7: How's uh?
Speaker 2: How's a nick lice? Fine? I visually gets the more worried he gets about breaking a dollar and Harry. Well, I don't see Harry much anymore. Hey, you got a raising for him?
Speaker 5: She'll right help yourself over there by the couple on. Now, Mama, don't play the horses.
Speaker 2: That's the only thing I don't like about you. You remind me too much of Nicky. They keep the change. Hey, Mick, Uh, what's open? Will I met the job? Bread?
Speaker 6: What do you think?
Speaker 2: He's sure? Nothing else? What I mean? I just want to tell you I got about twenty bucks in my pocket and that's all. What's second to do with it? Plenty? Did I get an idea? You're gonna get me out there and pull a gun?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Red, don't now read me. You don't think I'm toping up the car around at ten grand with me?
Speaker 1: Do you?
Speaker 2: I'd told you this is a job tonight. Okay, Pardner, this is a job tonight. Take the other bridge, right, Huh? That's matter? I think of a van, Doug, Yeah, it's a van in back the two guys hopshit thinks. Hold on, we'll find that they're staying with us, said son.
Speaker 6: Give him all ready, not a lot of traffic, and.
Speaker 2: They comes, it's cops, all right, hold.
Speaker 6: On, I'm gonna take your time. Watch it right, they're gonna climb it.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 6: Go on, hurry, please open and stay where you are.
Speaker 2: Hint, oh, okay, cover, Okay, don't even do more. That's the idea.
Speaker 6: Take them down.
Speaker 2: Sorry, now you keep your hands all right, that's more like it.
Speaker 6: Nick, I'm an onum captain. Accept that racing sheet from bella Mama's.
Speaker 4: Okay, go on, walk over to the sidewalk.
Speaker 2: Oh on, walk, he said, And that dawn was the end of this notorious gang of tunnel bandits. The ring leaders are now serving maximum terms of forty years each in the Illinois State Penitentiary at State Still Well, Thank you, Lieutenant Thomas J. McGrath for this most enlightening case history and Gangbuster's congratulations to all the members of the Chicago Police Department who participated in the investigation leading to the arrest and conviction of these dangerous criminals. Tonight's case was dramatized by Stanley Niss and directed by Ted Corday, with Ted Decortia and Frank Reddick in leading roles. Don Gardner speaking gangbusters as a phillips h Lord production