Speaker 1: Suspense, which is usually heard at this hour on Thursday nights, is taking its customary summer holiday. Suspense returns to the air two weeks from tonight on Thursday September.
Speaker 2: First, you are standing at the doorway of a cabin on Cashier Creek.
Speaker 3: Upon the ridge.
Speaker 2: The bloodhounds have caught your scent, and between you and the fortune, between you and escape yon, the white jaws of the deadly Cottonmouth.
Speaker 1: We offer you escape, designed to free you from the four walls of to day for a half hour of high adventure. Tonight we escaped to the worn out acres of a poor farm somewhere in the Southern Mountains with Irvin S. COB's Great Tale of Vengeance Snake Doctor.
Speaker 3: Far back in the Southern Mountains, it's quiet and hot and lonely. One Pine Scott Hill is very much like the next, and one Winding Creek differs little from Anana. The area through which Cashier Creek twisted was the same as all the rest, except for the snakes, deadly venomous cotton mouths moccasins. They have probably more snakes along Cashier Creek and anywhere else. Most people lived in constant, deadly fear of these snakes, but there was one man who even seemed to like them, a man they called snake Doctor. His cabin was the creek bottom where the cotton moles were the Communist and he earned his megal living by rendering down their soft fetch, bottling the oil and selling it. Snake Doctor seemed harmless enough, but there was one man who believed he was a colleague of the devil, who hated him because he wasn't afraid of the snakes. This man was Jaf Mourner, the snake Doctor's nearest neighbor. Jaf was that dangerous kind of man who suspected, feared, and hated anything he didn't understand, and he understood neither cotton moles nor the snake Doctor. Jaf was ornery, ignorant, and shiftless. He'd rather shoot squirrels in chop cotton. He'd rather fish and whole corn. And that's what he's doing now, fishing down at the big hole with his son and heir. Finney, who's old enough but not quite bright enough to handle the gun, missed him.
Speaker 4: Dogging any plain fool, I told you not to touch my gun.
Speaker 5: Trump on him popper. He gets in the creeph, the cotton mat talk found.
Speaker 6: In front of you, him the varmitt he gonna put on him with stop.
Speaker 7: You don't eat to son. He's dead. Now, come here, Paul.
Speaker 5: How'd he hit anything with that rifle? I had a beat drawer right on him, and I don't fool that for Paul.
Speaker 7: S turn up at Filthy Snake Whilst I'm a fishing.
Speaker 5: Becky was sunning himself not more than two feet from you. He was just two feet.
Speaker 4: Never mind, I kind of talk. There won't be no fish around httle funderation after all that racket. Well, come on, let's go.
Speaker 7: Home and get us some viddles.
Speaker 3: Jath Morning tossed his bait can into the creek and threw a stick after him. He stood there, watching the stick drift slowly toward the big hole, where the creek widened by behind a jam of driftboarding. Jaf watched as the eddie caught the stick and sucked it beneath the dam. Jaf was curious. He moved downstream eroded to and waited, watching the water boil up from under the driftboard. But the stick didn't come up. That was strange. It must have caught under there and a tangle of water soaked and sunken logs. Probably he'd stayed there for months. Perhaps stay there always.
Speaker 5: Let's get these.
Speaker 3: Paw Jay thought about this, and an idea began to form in his slow mind as he and Finnish started for home.
Speaker 5: How much are your reckons in this?
Speaker 6: And Paul, Daddy, what you john about this old cotton man?
Speaker 5: How much are you wreckon?
Speaker 7: Gow it down?
Speaker 5: Go it down? Why far?
Speaker 7: I'm go it down, like I say all.
Speaker 6: I was aiming on rendering the old cotton mouth's pat like the snake doctor does.
Speaker 5: I was in the ceiling make myself some money.
Speaker 7: I don't like a squirm of things around me, but it's dead. Neither word dropped?
Speaker 5: You scared on cotton mouths, Paul, I ain't.
Speaker 7: No better than get myself bit by him.
Speaker 5: Dip Bailey.
Speaker 6: Know the fella got hisself bit one who We're in a draft of liquor for mines. So he goes to work and he cuts open a life chicken and he put on his leg where the butte was.
Speaker 5: Bella lived too.
Speaker 6: Reckon Mister rives ever gets herself bit, I mean handling cotton mouths like he does.
Speaker 3: Who mister Ryves.
Speaker 6: Who, mister Rives, that's Old snake Doctor's real name, Mas says, out and call him snake doctor.
Speaker 4: Never mind what your moss says. Nobody in my family's calling those snake loving scum. Mister Rives.
Speaker 6: Heck, that's what I say, all right, But I made myself some money renting that cotton mouth fat.
Speaker 5: Down in the oil. How much your reckon old snake Doctor makes out and all.
Speaker 6: He sells, I don't ut, Tip Bailey says, Old snake Doctor's got more than a thousand dollars hit weat somewhere is in his.
Speaker 4: Cabin, more than that most likely cush it, old miser, don't spend nothing, ain't got nothing save that rack of bones mass Tip.
Speaker 6: Bailey says, whenever Old snake Doctor sets foot out in his place, he's got the granddaddy of all cotton mouths. And he leaves out in the cabin to stand god over his money. Tip Bailey says, he'd eat Old snake Doctor, put him in his pocket, live ones too.
Speaker 7: Snake Doctor ain't fitting a belive hisself.
Speaker 5: Mar says he ain't so bad, says he don't mean nobody.
Speaker 4: Harm yr Mar better be careful who she's so shavan with. She says, he just don't have good sands, had the fever too much? Daddy, you ever been in snake doctor's place?
Speaker 7: I don't have nothing more than I have to to do with that snake loving hohodoo.
Speaker 6: Dip Bailey says he bet it wouldn't be no task at tall for some no good to poke around the snake doctors shack and maybe find all the money and make off with it.
Speaker 5: M blame your son's durnire renting me. Now look my head full of sweat.
Speaker 6: Look, daddy, huh see full of sweat, durn near God, full of sweat? Come on, why turning down that a way? Paul, coming on noon dinner, be most ready.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell the snake loving hoodo that there's some of them cotton males on the quick side out, doesn't it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he knows that.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell him. He's got my leave to catch him. You don't need to come.
Speaker 6: Along if you're going over there his place, I'd kind of like to see it for my own, saying, go on in.
Speaker 5: Paul, he ain't a home else? Why is he to shoot his say? If by now I reckon, can you see any snakes?
Speaker 6: I told you to keep an eye out for I bet it's in one of them chinks, Paul, Paul, bet the money is in.
Speaker 7: One of living.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 7: Must be a dang snake itself living in a place like kids.
Speaker 6: I know you ain't looking for any money, Paul, But ifing you was, wouldn't you look at that the chink right up there?
Speaker 5: Where right there second log brother fireplace on the right. You see that the hole?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I reckon, I would look up there.
Speaker 5: Since we're here, it might as well see for myself, Paul.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't be a much surprised if old snake doctor had him, Paul, Paul, bo was.
Speaker 4: You looking for something, Jake mana snake doctor?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I was looking for you. I won't here, yeah, yeah, uh?
Speaker 4: Look here your hudo? What's side here? Sneaking up on folks? Who's took a trouble to come all the way down here to do you a favor?
Speaker 7: Huh? Eh, come on, Fenny, were getting out of here, yes, like as not.
Speaker 6: They had a dang old Marcus and scratching around in his pocket.
Speaker 5: Whils he was talking to you? Daddy? Do you mind how his eyes was when he come in.
Speaker 6: Do you mind how I kept looking up at the wall where I said, I bet he had the money between the chinks.
Speaker 4: Fnny, what don't you say nothing to your more about us being at the snake Doctor's. Please you understand why you just don't? And don't you go night again? H cus old vomit. He thought we was proud of as way he acted.
Speaker 5: Prowlers, mall then up already you pull in your time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got time up for a dinner, got down the spring and got me the pole.
Speaker 5: If you tell you stumps you can.
Speaker 8: Catch innyc and Jebb, how.
Speaker 4: You think I can catch fish with fetty? Fine off my gun and cut miles all the time.
Speaker 8: M hent his heat on the buddy can bear any colder but the creek uh had poured on Miss Rives, come buy here spell of gold?
Speaker 7: My knight shook the pieces with a chill. Uhh he come by?
Speaker 3: Did he?
Speaker 7: What did he come in?
Speaker 3: Just from men?
Speaker 2: Just for a minute?
Speaker 3: What do he want?
Speaker 5: He wanted to?
Speaker 8: Could have given me some fir zailment, jezbe I could drag one sord food afore the other barey could make it up here from his place.
Speaker 5: My dosed out.
Speaker 8: Now butler's acre drops wola, give him a little smidge and liquor.
Speaker 5: On, h you would please? Don't Jeff don't want me? Don't Jeff don't want me? Just poured on mister, mister.
Speaker 3: Mister Ves.
Speaker 4: How many times I gotta tell you that Hoodo's name is snake doctor.
Speaker 7: You don't mean nobody know?
Speaker 8: Huh?
Speaker 4: He give made his skin of lost wits, hide and teller and you calling him mister Rives. Mmm, you'll be calling him honey and sugar next without I lot.
Speaker 5: You please, Jeff please, bad names?
Speaker 7: Eh w I aim? What's his name? Now?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 7: What's your pull?
Speaker 4: Missed Rives name?
Speaker 2: Naw sneez?
Speaker 3: God kiss him on and rubbed the ugly red weld on her corny arm and gave the frying pan full of sizzling side meat a hopeless nudge. She prayed that time and food might take the edge off Jafe's temper. Phinney slouched in from the spring, saw the mark on her arm.
Speaker 5: Harping, wamping you again, Ma, what'd you do this time?
Speaker 3: She silently dished up the hog back and corn bread for her two men. While they sat at table She ate on her feet, serving them between bites, as was the custom in the morning household. After dinner, Finny stretched out under the chinaberry tree. Kissy sat on the porch, fanning herself and dipping snuff with a peach twig, scarring it back and forth on her gums. Jave took his ease on the floor of the back room, but he didn't sleep. The meanness was stirring in him, and his hatred of the man He couldn't understand, the man who'd got rich off a cotton mask. His mind was working on something he'd seen that day and another thing he'd heard. He was adding them together. That stick could had disappeared under the log jam and the snake doctor's money. It was four o'clock before any of moved, and then Jave spoke to his wife for the first time since noon is it?
Speaker 8: Where is that the vile drinking liquor by the wind and took it out in your parking before you laid down.
Speaker 5: I ought to carry a votle of liquor with me. How much get bit by a moccasin? Sis Paul Wood.
Speaker 7: Better not of that ma kit you find it?
Speaker 4: Jay, I just remembered I won't be needing the total special off with me while I'm going.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't take no chance, Dave.
Speaker 5: There just one cotton mailed.
Speaker 4: Bike, gotting mouse dog down the slashers e us along a creek. I'll be all this evening's up along Bailey's Ridge and.
Speaker 7: A high ground. I fixing the gold shooger.
Speaker 4: And the gummy chances, young squalls, twich non doch time with them, barking all ramo this morning, reckon, I come along. You staying here? Son, Oh dang it, you'll.
Speaker 6: Be steaming in the place when the rain comes down. Boy, you might be neath me.
Speaker 4: You stay here, dang killy, you set me up a snack of cold set on the chef, right, Claire, I won't get back to this plumb dug.
Speaker 1: In just a moment. We'll return to the second act of escape. But first, that wonderful variety show with a purpose CBS. This is one hour long program. This is Broadway will be round again tomorrow night on most of these same stations. Comedian Abe Boroughs, Broadway playwright George S. Kaufman, Master of Ceremonies Clifton Fatiman will all be here playing host to the top stars of show business. Hear these top stars and their top acts. Then listen closely as the expert showmen on This is Broadway helped them with show business problems. And now we returned to the second act of escape and tonight's story.
Speaker 3: Snake Doctor Jaith Mourner turned north to his struggling corn rolls, and in a minute he was lost from sight. He kept on for nearly a mile till he came to a wild red mulbery tree. Where there are mulbray's, there are bounderby squirrels. Very neatly he shot two young grays right through the head. Jaffe was a massed marksman and unsuspected by any who knew him. Jave had another quality, one that made him more dangerous than the rest of his kind. Jave had an imagination. Today it was an excellent working order. He tied the brain squirrels together and swung him over his shoulder. If needed, they'd be his alibi. And Nanny sat down under a tree for a while. Got plenty of time. Don't need to get on the snake doctor's place. Will about dust when he comes out to feed that sway back mare his'n mist ride. He sat out two brisk thundershowers and the influence between them nan He set off in a wide arc down Barey's Branch, along the skirts a little cypress slashed down to the sunken flats edge in Cashier Creek. It took more than an hour, a careful traveling, for he came to his destination, a screen of horse less than fifty yards behind the snake Doctor's cabin.
Speaker 4: No matter how alen he is, you get up and come out to feed the rackabooms, mare mysteries. We'll I learn him to go call. He get around another man's woman jay morning.
Speaker 3: The ladies jealousy heat him the white hatred. At this moment he was a Vengeaneer's hon Eye didn't admit even to himself, but the real reason he was here was his snake doctor's money. Hit him behind the log by the fireplace.
Speaker 4: Home wrecking snake loving vomit. Well ten minutes from now, I'll chunk him down a big hole in a creek like I did that stick this morning, and he'd go down and never come up, and nobody will miss him.
Speaker 3: Nobody.
Speaker 4: You know, he's gone for leastwise a week, maybe a month, and maybe if I could get around to it might come back this way some day, book around that cabin and his and just to see if it's true's.
Speaker 2: Having all that money hid away.
Speaker 3: Jaff Mourner's speculations were cut short. The cabin door opened and a figure stepped out into the growing dusk and walked toward the stable. He saw the snake Doctor's lop, the old straw hat, and his dog coat drawn over a pit. At this distance he couldn't miss, and he didn't. The figure jerked backward and then one face forward. Jae started for him. Then he stopped. His eyes bugged, his mouth formed a scream that he couldn't utter. His rifle dropped to the ground. He had just killed the snake Doctor, killed him dead with a thirty two caliber slug through the head. And there on his door still stood snake Doctor hole and sound staring at him.
Speaker 5: Jaye mana, what have you done?
Speaker 3: The scream came at last for Jaf Mourner had seen the devil, a snake Doctor, who arose alive from his bullet riddled body. Jeaff whirled and ran into the deep docking and woods, whimpering like a whipped puppy as he tore through the brush. Escape. He must escape this, this thing. He must get under the shutter of a sound roof. He must have the protection of four walls around him. He ran and ran for hours. It was close to midnight when he came out on a dirt road a short distance southeast of his own land. Beyond the next bend, he'd be inside a home. And then he stopped. Around the bend. Coming toward him was a joggling lighter landing hanging on a buggy. Jake flattened himself in a clump of brush to hide until the traveler passed, and then, just as the rig was opposite him, he heard a call coming from the other direction.
Speaker 5: There who dovey?
Speaker 7: Oh there?
Speaker 6: Oh, ex.
Speaker 5: Me, Davis, ware that you tip Bailey?
Speaker 7: Yeah from the junction tolerible tide? What brings you out this time of night, Davis? Somebody's sake, see nothing.
Speaker 9: It's been a postl of trouble of popping in these bottoms tonight, stiddy boy.
Speaker 7: Stity, what do you mean a killing?
Speaker 3: That's what I mean.
Speaker 4: You don't see who got killed.
Speaker 9: I'm fixing to tell you it happened just around dusk time at down an old snake Doctor's place. Yes, was it?
Speaker 4: He was killed?
Speaker 9: Give me a time tent. It seems like snake Doctor's been a chilling lately. It was pretty bad off today. So Miss Kissy Mourner she footed it down from her place to his, and fetching some physic with her and a plate of hot bittles.
Speaker 1: Am I have thought that?
Speaker 7: Miss morning Mighty thought you.
Speaker 9: Want to hear this?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 9: Oh boy, well pitty. Soon after she got there, it seemed like he was tired, and he tried to get up out of his bed to go and feed that old crowbait nagat his'm it started in again by then, pouring down hide. So she made him stay where he was, and she put on his old hat and throwed his old coat around her. And he wanted to keep out of the wet and no more. And she got outside and a shot came from the age of the woods, and down she went with a bullet through brains killed that this is a dog. It was that low flung husband or hers done it.
Speaker 7: That's who they shot it with him.
Speaker 3: Sure thing, oh coy, sure thing, that's certain.
Speaker 9: Snake Doctor jumped up when he heard the shot, and he catched a quick look at chafe over the fence there was no long streak, and kiss his arm where he must have walked her during the day.
Speaker 7: Why hanging just shot you good? Did they kitch him?
Speaker 9: No, but they're gonna chef get they get. But he's due any minute with his pack of hound dogs tray a lot of lay good ground being damned the way it is, for sure, old snake doctor. He's just saying, the lord's going to strike the murder down in his track. But me, i'm'na put my main dependence on their bloodhound.
Speaker 10: Poor miss Marna, she always was a good hearted, hard working woman.
Speaker 3: Did that stunt? I shut, Kizzy?
Speaker 4: Did you hear something just there?
Speaker 3: See I did?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Probably a rabbit breaking through the brede.
Speaker 9: And listen, Yeah, the sheriffs are coming.
Speaker 3: You can hear them hounds of.
Speaker 10: His just for sure.
Speaker 9: I gotta hurry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, come on, I'll see you back at the morna.
Speaker 3: You sure will. Jase didn't waste no time more than his dead wife. He had a chance against a pack of bloodhounds if he started right away. But Jake's imagination went to work again, as if backtracked along the creek, but him in the spotty moonlight.
Speaker 4: Gotta throw those dogs off the trail. He got away the creak, even if it is full of.
Speaker 3: Hot and mounts.
Speaker 7: Must be all around me. Now, folks say, don't strike the water.
Speaker 3: Hoping folks is right.
Speaker 4: I've got to get back to the snake doctors. Get his money while he's still up at my place, and kisses remains. Get his money and the rest will be easy. I'll make for the deep timber cross country to the river. Make it for tomorrow sundown. Find me a shanty boarder to ferry me to the Arkansas side. Will get me a haircut, and catch me a train for someone else. I got to get snake Doctor's money first.
Speaker 3: Snake Doctor's cabin was dark and empty when Jay reached it, only a few dull embers in the fireplace. But he knew where the chink was. He'd find it in the dark. He scrabbled the logs, felt some bark, He felt the clay more to crumble under his fingernails. There it was a hole big enough for a man's arm. He plunged his hand into it, touched something slick and smooth, and then something sharp plunged into his thumb at that with the fire flickered to life. Jay yanked his hand out of the hole, saw two tiny bleating punctures in his thumb. At the mouth of the hole stretched the wide open jaws of a cotton mouth. It worked fast. He felt the pain leaping from his thumb to his hand, seeping up his arm. If only he had some liquor, if he had a fresh kilt chicken the slap on the wound, but he had nothing. Then a sharp, horrible pain wrenched his heart, and then a second, and there, in the firelight, the huge cotton mouth poised in its crevice. Jay fleeped out of the shack, started blindly for the timber. His stagger stumbled. Then he pitched forward on his face, his open mouth full of weeds and muddy grass stems. The cramping fingers of his outstretched right hand almost touched a reddish black smear on the wet, trampled grass rittens by gravy. I'd call it that, would ju I reckon.
Speaker 10: There's a sort of rough justice in the way he died. Look his hand reaching out just about touching the blood where his woman fell. But in all my life I've never known but two or three people actually was bitten by water moccasins, And until tonight, I've never had personal knowledge of anybody dying from the bite of any kind of snake is a fact, you know.
Speaker 5: I'm to hit rifle off now, I'm gonna kill the dang rappertile.
Speaker 10: And kill my ba Mourner's boy kicking up the first yep and no good like his paw call me, I'm the boss man. What's the trouble?
Speaker 7: Tip Henny Hears.
Speaker 5: Went out and he's hey, I'm to kill the snake that bitten my paw.
Speaker 6: Then I'm making that snake doctor humping for keeping a repertile in this place.
Speaker 7: Your paw, God, what was his do?
Speaker 9: Finney?
Speaker 5: Snake doctor ain't to blame. He's a who de devil.
Speaker 10: Look here, Barr, mister Rives, give me all his savings nearly one hundred dollars to pay for billing your mother decent. That's how much you thought of her. Now go on home, behave yourself in the Finnis.
Speaker 7: There ain't no reason for your hanging around here.
Speaker 5: Somebody ought to kill a reptile.
Speaker 7: Doc.
Speaker 9: Just a minute ago you started to say something about snake bite, not killing about them two marks on his thumb.
Speaker 3: Then snake's gashes like some I've seen.
Speaker 10: Oh that don't explain.
Speaker 5: It's finny Morna.
Speaker 7: He's in the cabin, the fool kid. Come on, doc, he's probably shot.
Speaker 5: Let's gonna get me like you got my po.
Speaker 7: Said he shot at something in the cabin. Come on, doc, let's go see.
Speaker 10: All right, I don't see anything.
Speaker 9: Then he's had enough happened to him yesterday and today to upset even a bride boy.
Speaker 3: So we can't.
Speaker 7: Oh there it is what that cotton mouth up there in that hole in the log over.
Speaker 10: There, Snake Doctor told me about that vombit look at him closer, David, No, sir, not me, Go ahead. It's just a stuffed snake.
Speaker 7: Stuff.
Speaker 10: Snake Doctor believes in precautions because that holes where he hides his money. That snake would scare away anybody who didn't know it was stuffed. But just to be sure, old snake Doctor lined the hole with coils of barbed wire.
Speaker 5: I see you mean them marks, and Jeff's thumb.
Speaker 1: Was got off the barbed wire.
Speaker 3: That's right, sir.
Speaker 10: Lots stronger hearts and jeef mourners would stop beating at a scare like that.
Speaker 3: Be switched.
Speaker 7: Old Snake Doctor is a cute one any.
Speaker 3: Escape.
Speaker 1: Produced and directed by Norman MacDonald. Tonight brought you Snake Doctor by Irvin S. Cobb, adapted for radio by Fred Howard, starring Bill Conrad as jaf with Paul Freeze as Finney featured in the cast, where Ira Grossel as a narrator, Bill Lally, Ruth Perrott, Wilms Herbert, and Edgar Barrier. Music is conducted by Wilbur Hatch.
Speaker 2: Next week, you are groping through the midnight dimness of a gigantic department store, and suddenly you realize that a hundred eyes are staring at you from the shadows, and a hundred hands are reaching for your throat, and your most urgent desire is to escape.
Speaker 1: Next week we escape with John Collier's story Evening Primrose be with us next week at the same time, when once again we offer you escape, Ethelbert is at the barn and in case you are about to enter on another thrilling crime photographer adventure Tonight, it's a story entitled Big Danger, and it will be along on most of these same CBS stations in just a moment. This is John Jacob speaking. This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System,