Speaker 1: All right, everybody, tonight's episode of Wrestling Magic, we're just gonna have a little bit of a conversation. So tonight, my friend King Scully and I we're just going to talk about things that don't really need to be in wrestling anymore or just never needed to be there in general. But you guys know how it is. So without further ado, kink Scully, how you doing, man, how you've been. It's been a long time since I've heard your voice on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm all good, Thank you, Thank you for coming to me with this. It sounds like he'll be a good little chot.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, definitely, man, And I couldn't think of anybody better to have it with. But anyways, so starting off, things that we don't really feel are needed in wrestling anymore or just in general. So there's things in wrestling that we might see it on a weekly basis at this point, or maybe it's just been there for so long. Nobody knows why it's there. Is there any examples that you can think of that, you know, it's just kind of not necessary.
Speaker 2: One of the things that annoys me is just like a nickname thing, but every time they come out and they say. Michael Cole would say, I think they've stopped it a bit now, but they put it in their names on the name plates and that, like sef freking Rudins. And remember when Dean Ambrose is the lunatic Fringe and they just keep going on about that every time it's the lunaficic Fringe and all that. It kind of got too repetitive and annoying, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I get that, because I mean, just say who they are, what they're I get it if it's like it's actually part of their name as the character or whatever. But to do it just constantly, for you know, Dean Ambrose, you don't have to say it every time, and especially Romans back before he was the tribal chief, which constant he's the big dog and it's his yard. Nobody cares. Man, just let us see the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there was one when they called see it weren't so bad when they called Cane the big red machine. That weren't so bad because they didn't do it all the time. But there's a time was it Devil's favorite demon or something? They kept saying, yeah, like that, and it's just like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel that that's one thing that we can definitely say it's just not really necessary or needed. And it makes sense when it's the character's name, like the Boogeyman, all right, that's his name for the character, Like that's all you see him as the Undertaker, that's just who he is. And I guess it's one thing when they say demon Balor or anything like that, because I mean, that's another part of the character and it's a specific character that he's playing. Within the character, it's like his alter ego or something, or Will of the Wisp as Jeff Hardy used to be at times. So it makes sense when it's the full character, but not when it's just, oh, yeah, it's Jeff Hardy. I don't need to call on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. It's just a bit like it's frustrating because it's just they say it too many times. You don't mind them seeing it now and again, but you don't need to hear it a million times in one match, if you go with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that. It's one thing when it's like at the very beginning of the match, while they're introducing them or whatever they come out, they say the name you know, hey, it's the Lunatic Fringe Dean Bros. Okay, cool, gave them the nickname whatever. But then after that you don't have to say it again for a while. Just wait till the end of the match if that, you know. But moving on to sorry, what was that?
Speaker 2: Well, there's one thing now you can choose one, all right.
Speaker 1: So something that I personally don't really see the point in and I never really have. I'm going to say, the WWE draft. And I get it that this was probably created at some point when Vince or whatever executive decided, Hey, you know, we want to seem like a real professional league. We want to have a draft just like the NBA does, just like the NFL does, just like MLB does you know, major League Baseball? And they probably just wanted to kind of ride the bandwagon and say, hey, yeah, we're professional sports league too. Look we have a draft just like they do. And it's not really necessary, Like I can understand if they were specifically to be like, Okay, we're only going to show the NXT guys that are coming up or the new up and comers, and we're going to show a draft for which show they're going to that to me would be okay, because then it's like, Okay, you're showing where the up and comers are going. Just like with how the draft is for the NFL, it's like, okay, what team is picking these college athletes and where are they going next? It makes sense for that, But for the WWE Draft, it's just it's the guys who are already on the main roster for the most part going to different shows. And does anybody even pay attention to who's on what roster? Does that even? Like, does anybody care about that? They switch it every week? For what? It seems like? What do you think? Man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly that Like one minute, Seth run into his raw den He's on Smacked Down, And I don't know the remains on war Denni's on SmackDown? Which one are they on? Do you know what I mean? What was what's the point of having it if then everyone on the same show anyway? And what is the point as well of having two Wow? This is probably I should probably wait for this bit, but it kind of comes into the draft because what is the point of having two heavyweight titles if both champions can go on any show anyway?
Speaker 1: I agree with that, And I was gonna say the one thing that I feel like does stay uh continuous no matter what is they do kind of keep the title separated. Like I believe that the US title stays on Raw if I remember correctly, and I believe the Intercontinental title stays all Smacked, and I might have those switch, but you know what I mean, like they stay to those shows. The champions can go wherever they want, but it seems like those titles will stick to those shows, and that's their mid card title, and I get it, but is it really that big of a deal and does anybody really pay that much attention to the Roster'd be like, oh wow, Kovie Kingston made the jump again, does anybody really care? And why would anybody care? It's one brand that has two different shows. The rosters aren't all that. It's not really something that needs to be separated. It's a TV show. It's not anything insane to me. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Man? Did you just drop something?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I did, unfortunately, Sorry about that.
Speaker 2: That's all right? So yeah, Like I guess that the reason that might do it as well is so they could get the exposure of certain superstars in matches on each show. So like if they're going to be on SmackDown, which at LA night, for example, he's currently on SmackDown, he's the US Champion, he's where he's fighting on SmackDown, you don't see him one more. So all these matches are going to be on SmackDown, which means he gets seen on the show, where if he was on both, you might not see him as much, if that makes sense. Yeah, I can see what you mean it might be because would you think, do you think the roster's quite big?
Speaker 1: Would you say, oh, yeah, definitely for WWE right now, it's definitely a larger roster than well concidering they also have three different shows, including NXT being their developmental Yeah, i'd say it's definitely a larger roster right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite big one in it. And then you've got all like the legends and now you come in now and again in the background. So I guess you can kind of see why they have it. But when they don't actually stick to their own rules, it's a bit pointless.
Speaker 1: Exactly what is the point of having these rules if it's just not going to stick. I mean, there's no point in it at all. But all right, I digress anything else on it, Bud.
Speaker 2: Not on the draft.
Speaker 1: Now, okay, what's next for you? Bud?
Speaker 2: The next thing? I guess this is more to do with the most recent and that is the theme songs. Okay, so what annoys me and I think what is the point is how many times does someone have to change the theme song? Like I think Damian Priest has had about twenty different versions of the same tune, so surely they should test it before they release it, and then you stick with that one for so long. But I'm sure since he left the Judgment day he's had like a few different versions of it, like they've tweaked it, and I think even the Rock they've tweaked tears a few times, and they've like recently, I mean not like over the years, which is fine, but recently he'd have one feet the Rock would have Summit on SummerSlam, and then the next time you see him it's a bit different, and it's like, how many times did they have to change the version of it? What is the point?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I guess I could see that, and I think the only way that I could justify it for the Rock is maybe because he has kind of gone through a heel turn since the first time he came back a couple of years ago and getting involved with the bloodline and everything. I feel like it changed sometime in there. I don't know. It is kind of interesting to see how often these guys have changed their songs recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not so much like changing the song, but it's just the same song, but so and then the week late it'll be a bit different, Like bron Breaker he had, so the song, the theme song he's got now has actually got like words in it, like someone singing lyrics to the tune that he had before, which is fine, you don't mind that because they're but like some of the songs as well, the music is so genuine now now it's not like when Jim Johnston done it. Who he made loads of class theme songs, but now they're all a bit crap, do you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hearing a shout out to Jim Johnston. You know, he made some really great theme songs back in the day. They were just iconic. When I hear glass shatter. Nowadays I immediately think stone cold when I hear a bell toll Undertaker, and it's insane how well that he just put these things together. He really was an artist at his craft. And uh yeah, I've heard apparently recently that he has reached out and basically told aw hey, he'd be fine with coming in and making some stuff, and also has opened up the door for WWE like, hey, I can make some more stuff you guys want, which all for it if they're going to allow it. I would love to have Jim Johnston's old themes coming through and his old magic coming back, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, like he actually took time to look at the character and write like a song that would suit them and that would stick with them, So it's okay, Like with sure Michaels saying so he probably had three or four versions of his Sexy Boy theme, I know, like Sensational Cherry sang get Out one point and all that, which is fine because it's the same song. It's just changed over Like when Sensational Cherry she left, like they split up, so she's not going to sing the theme song any more, if you get what meat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's fair, And like you brought up with some of these stars and not keeping the same song or at least a similar one. Do you remember when Big show turned heel and then they made his a little bit more sinister and slower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I do remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I saw something about that the other day and that did just come to mind, Like it's the same song. They kept it relatively the same, but they changed it for a reason. At that point, it was like, hey, they don't want it to be as upbeat. It's now he's a heel. It has to be a little bit more menacing. It needs to be yeah, menacing and aggressive. That's the way that I would put it. But other than that, yeah, man, I kind of think back to Caine and Undertaker because like their themes. Besides, when Undertaker is the American badass, which totally fair, it's a different character at that point at least that's how it feels to me. But it feels like their's lasted for like twenty something years, you know, especially Caines, because he was always just the demon. It was always that organ sound and seeing fire everywhere. That's Cain's thing, and it worked for him, you know.
Speaker 2: To be fair, his f defersion, he's gott with the is it slow chemical? Yeah? That that's an amazing theme song.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I hear you. Man, I really enjoy it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So like that, there's certain theme songs that like this. This is where I'm trying to get at with this is there's certain theme songs from years ago, like that one or Shameless is old one. There's loads of theme songs, even Drew McIntyre's old one. That's a brilliant one as well, like the old one.
Speaker 1: Oh, the one by Shaman's Harvest, I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that one. And they're a really good band as well. But yeah, all those good ones that they stick in your head and you could just play them because you like them or like Randy Orton's voices or whatever, because they're decent tunes, or even all the Triple H songs have been good, even especially the ones by Motorhead or whatever. But like nowadays, I just think they're all a bit generic. I think Death Rebel do them now or whatever they're called. But it's just not nothing really sticks out. Really. They're all a bit like Cody Road song for example, it was nothing to do with them? Was it? He had that in AW? Didn't it?
Speaker 1: I believe he did. It's been a while stop watching the AW footage, but I think it was the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was because the band do sing that song are the ones that used to do like Dolph Zigler's song, and I think they did, like the Midses song and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I could see that, and I mean, thinking back on it, there's so many iconic ones from the past and going into the future. I'm a little nervous to see because, like you're talking about, it is pretty generic now and it is a little embarrassing because you know, something that I've realized is I don't like when the merch for wrestling and the stuff for wrestling just screams this is specifically wrestling. Like if it's a song that sounds good outside of a wrestling situation, like voices like I can probably go to the gym and start lifting to that and I'm not going to have any problems. But if I'm listening to I don't know, like Dan Hausen's theme song, if you ever heard that one, I'm not going to be into that. Man, it sounds weird and he's not w w necessarily, And you know, I want to say this is more of just wrestling in general, but yeah, generic themes really not a good thing to have, So yeah, I totally agree with that, and I think I did okay at times, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could even have like even instrumental music, like look how good Gang Grel's theme song is or gold Dusts was pretty good as well, Like even if it's just instrumentally, then I often necessarily have singing or words in it, but like now they just sound like someone's just can't be and just put it together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that, and somebody that I would also put in that category. Since Gay Nakamora his theme where it's kind of a I believe it's called The Rising Sun by CFO, very nice sounding, and I can listen to that outside of just watching wrestling, and it's not bad. Honestly, I really enjoyed the sound of it. It's calming at times, but then it gets intense and it's cool, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've tweaked that one a few times, which is fine light even as his current character. It's fine lights. They're not necessarily unsuccessful with some of them, but majority aren't ones like you've got like Seth Wallin's theme song, which is just a sing along and it Yeah, then Jay Ushow's theme song which obviously the fans go up to that and it suits his character, but it is annoying because he takes twenty minutes to get get in the ring because of what he's yea.
Speaker 1: In the yeating thing. Man, it's funny how much the gardener hates that, but it does make me laugh a little bit. I think there's some things in wrestling that are just for the fans. It's not really for the wrestlers at times, because you know, like when Orange Cassidy used to do like keep his hands in the pockets and just like kick at the shins and the fans would go nuts over it. Some things are just for the fans to make them laugh and they love it. So just give it to him once in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: But all right, So moving on something else that I think we even talked about this at one point, contract signings for title matches. Why it feels like it's such a filler moment, you know what I mean. It just doesn't feel authentic at all. It feels like, Okay, we have a time slot here, we know there's a title match coming up. What can we do to fill the time slot that we have nothing planned for? Oh? Why don't we throw in a you know, contract signing. Do you really think any of that has ever been like taken serious? Does anybody actually care about it? Because whenever I've seen elimination chamber or anything like that where it actually includes the title, I've never seen. All Right, everybody please sit down to this table. We're all going to sign over here. All right, everybody please initial by line six. Nobody's doing that. It's not serious. And I get it, it's wrestling, but to an extent, I want it to be somewhat realistic. If you're in this league already, shouldn't you just be already prepared to go in and fight for the title. Why do you have to sign a contract over? And why don't they always do it? It seems like it's very situational where it's like, oh, yeah, we just need a time slot field, let's throw in another one of these contract signings that isn't really necessary. We don't always do it. They don't. They don't keep it consistent, and that's what's annoying to me. What about you, man, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I get I was wondering why you were saying that. I wonder if you know, like their little folder thing and it's got their clip peopboard with and they flip it over and it's got the vitt and finger and they sign it. What does it actually sound it someone took their time to write some up for nothing just because no one's going to read it. It's not like a proper document, is it.
Speaker 1: It's just what is the point exactly? I can only imagine that do they have an actual legal team going over this? Yes, this is a legal and binding contract that means absolutely nothing like that care And I wonder what's actually on there? Do you think it's maybe just a bunch of jokes or something.
Speaker 2: I know, that's what I mean. And they got a few pages as well. It's not just like one page, so what the how did they need to write on an ordeo of pages?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I hear that, and like terms and conditions of what it's a vesting much it's scripted? Do you know what mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly it. It just seems kind of useless to me, And I get it. Maybe you want intense segment from it, but it just seems like a type of segment that isn't necessary. And I really have never cared for it. What about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's a bit stupid as well. And they always have someone, always a text of a person, and don't they And you can always see what's going to happen anyway, And the table that they sign it on't always seems someone goes through it.
Speaker 1: You know, You're right, it's kind of funny to think about that. They're not very good at this whole legal thing. You know, they can't ever just sit down and sign the contract like normal people.
Speaker 2: Know.
Speaker 1: They have to attack each other. It's every single time, you know. But it's a little redundant at this point, and I really see no point in constantly bringing this back. I mean, there's other things that they could bring back that would be so much worse. But realistically, that's one of those for me. Like can you imagine if they brought back TUXI doo't matches more often?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 1: God?
Speaker 2: As well when you say, like with the contract signings, like so I'm I'm facing Van Deora next week, Yeah, and the winner faces Cody Roads for the title. Yeah, and I beat Vandel I've won. Why do I have to sign the contract facing Cody Boats avoided one exactly?
Speaker 1: It seems so strange and do you think they have to sign anything for the money in the bank contract?
Speaker 2: Well, what's actually in the contract exactly? What's in your lunch box? Some sandwiches?
Speaker 1: Okay, otis, But I see where you're going with that. But yeah, it's always weird to think about. Does the champion have to sign as well? Did he sign it before the ladder match ever happened? And if the championship changes hands in between, does he have to go and sign the money in the bank contract as well? For whoever is going to be able to challenge him at some point?
Speaker 2: Where does this go exactly? And why did they have to bring it out every time they have a match. I know it's to show that they're the money in the bank, but surely you'd want to keep it to yourself in the back so the champion forgets that you've got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear that too. I mean I remember I want to say, mis had it for like a year and it was just constant Okay, he's cashing it. Oh no, he's not run back, and it's like, can we get past this? It was becoming so predictable every week, And yeah, I know, if the gardner was here, he'd be saying we can do without money in the bank matches and stuff like that. But you know, that's more his opinion than mine. I think it adds a little bit of chaos.
Speaker 2: What about you, man, Yeah, it definitely adds chaos. The match itself is pretty good there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that. I enjoy it personally, and you know, to each their own, and that's kind of what's nice about wrestling, magic and just wrestling in general is other people are gonna have different opinions and it's cool. There's no problem with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just think like the match is normally full of like really good spots, and normally you have someone going through ladders or tables and it's they're quite enjoyable to watch. But on the same thing, is the briefcase is a good thing. Why can't you just speak number one contend or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I could kind of see that, and it is a little bit annoying in some ways, like it is kind of cutting the line. But to me, it just kind of means that whoever gets it, they are able to at any point add that little bit of chaos, and there's always that question of are they cashing in tonight? You never know and that's what's good about it for TV, but also it can be annoying in the sense of the competition that we are trying to see it as you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got to admit some of the cashis have being enjoyable there, like like Seth Wallin's one, oh yeah, quite a good one and Dolf Zigler's one the poppy got when he cushed in on Alba del Wo.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and then I want to say, wasn't it the first one where Edge came out on Sena with it? And then you just hear Vince McMahon, this person is cashing in their money in the bank contract right now, and then you see him walking in a scene as like bleeding out of his face and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. So they are enjoyable to see the costumes to be fair, So I guess we're kind of in the middle or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they coordinate it well and they know what they're doing, it's great. But who is the guy who challenged for like the Intercontinental Championship or something with it? That just made me question, like why would you go for a mid card title with that you have a chance to go for gold and you're choosing silver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a stupid thing. Why would you do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I still don't get that, but you know it's whatever that's in the past. They haven't done it since, so I'll give them that credit at least. But yeah, I think we beat this dead horse a little bit. So moving on. What else you got, man?
Speaker 2: A thing that annoys me for quite some time now is kicking out of finishers. They're meant to be a finishing move. You don't mind it in a big, massive main event like out WrestleMania between the Rocking Stone Cold the Rocke might have had two stunners before he actually lost, but and a load of other moves. But now it just seems like everyone just tries to go for their finish at a one hundred times in the match, like, ain't got any other moves?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I hear that. Uh, that is a good one to bring up, because you know, I actually was talking with my supervisor at work the other day about this, and he used to be a wrestling fan, but he's talked about like, yeah, it's just kind of become a little boring and we're kind of reaching the point of and he kept saying the death of the finisher, and I started thinking, you know, he got a point. Everybody keeps kicking out of everything. It doesn't seem like it matters anymore when somebody hits their finisher on you. Now, I will admit when uh, I believe it was Edge versus Randy Orton, when Randy Orton at the very end of that match was a couple of years ago because it was during COVID. But when all of a sudden he brings back the punt, that made it seem like a good reason to be kicking out constantly because like, okay, yeah, the RKAO is just not doing it. He's bringing back that old move was such a nice callback, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, on that note, I agree with that, but it's just a bit like annoying, Like how many times just the kickout? Like I know, there's been some matches recently where someone's up to do like three finishes to win or four finishers, Like how many do you need to do? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And doesn't Cody Rhods usually hit three crossroads before he actually pins anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think like sometimes he'll do one, they'll kick out, and then because a bit later he'll probably do like a double or a triple one or something. I think that's how it kind of went with like maybe room remains and all that.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe, But yeah, it's a little annoying just because like, what is the point of the finisher at this point? And I think aw had a bit of an issue with that, especially God, it felt like everything was such a spotfest for a while. And sometimes it can be good, you know, Indie shows have the place for that, but man, when you're trying to compete with the grandest stages of them all and you want to put out that and you diminish your own finishing moves, especially things like Canadian destroyers as or Mexican destroyers, whatever you want to call it, it's the same move, as cool as it looks. They want to be kicking out of it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, is it just Canadian? Because the best Lou did it, it's Canadian?
Speaker 1: I think originally it was the Canadian Destroyer, but then seeing Penta do it, and lately who's been calling it the Mexican Destroyer. I'm like, all right, it's just the destroyer at this point. Whatever. But yeah, it's like it's such a cool move, but we don't need ten of them in a match, and we don't need people no selling them and hitting each other with it. It's it's not necessary and it just kind of diminishes. What is the point of the move if you're going to use it that often? You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and another finisher, the sweet to music used to be a brilliant finisher. But now everyone does superkick as a normal move.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, you got light in WWE, You got the Use Shows doing two injured superkicks in aw got the Young Bucks doing two injured superkicks. It's just like a bit repetitive. It's like, come on, and you've got some house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could use some more originality when it comes to that sort of thing. And I liked the u when the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega were doing the BTE trigger or v trigger whatever they called it. I thought that was a cool move because it just seemed so vicious that three people line up in front of you they all hit the knee on you at the same time. That seems hard and that seems painful. But the superkicks thing, it did get overplayed a lot, and I totally agree superkick mania is now what we need.
Speaker 2: Man, No definitely not.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, I'm really sad to see the death of the finisher of it does go this way. Ah. So something that actually was brought to my attention as well.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I asked this in a live chat with Perry Saturn. He was doing Ask Me Anything the other night, and it was really interesting to listen to him talk about some of his experiences and everything, and anybody who wants to support Perry and help him out. He's got a there's some sort of a game or something like that that's going on that's called WU. It's like World Wrestling Organization something like that. I don't exactly remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it does give proceeds to him and help him out as well as other wrestlers. But point being, during the chat he was answering just regular questions but also promoting that game, and during it I asked, Hey, what is something that you think can leave wrestling at this point that just doesn't have a place for you. He said, well, I would say gimmick matches without any build up. If you're just going to throw it in just to throw it in, there's no reason for it, and it's kind of pointless, and he recalled a couple of times where that's happened to him when he was in WCW as well as He also brought up pay per views always having gimmicks. It's not really necessary. You can just have a pay per view, not if WrestleMania doesn't have to be the only time that you have regular matches. And just because you have a War Games match for the men, doesn't necessarily mean you need to have one for the women. Again his words, but still I do kind of agree to an extent, like let them have their own pay per view at that point is what he brought up, Like why not have a women's specific pay per view? What's wrong with that? What do you think?
Speaker 2: Man? Yeah, I see that, But like did they used to have pay per few called like Hell in a Cell or whatever and stuff like that, And it's just like, why would you have a name for pay per view when all the matches on it ain't going to be Hell in this out you and you can have one heading this out, So what's the point of naming a pay per view after it?
Speaker 1: I could see that. I mean elimination Chamber. I don't imagine that every match that night is going to be an elimination chamber match. But I could kind of see why it has its place, but not always, you know what I mean. I think that's what he was getting at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I kind of get that. Like you used to just have paper fews called like no Way out, the Edge, over the Edge, Yeah, judgment day armages. There's loads in your house ones, won't they?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was for a while. It's interesting seeing the history on that and if anybody wants to read up on it, the Titan Sinking, Titan Shattered, Titan Screwed series, it can really help you learn a little bit of that history because it spells it out pretty clearly for anybody. But yeah, it's interesting just to see how many we used to have. I believe there was even like a rock Bottom pay per view at one point that was like nineteen ninety eight or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was, there was one of these. It also depends, like I get what he's saying, Like with a gimmick match as well, there is sometimes it is a good thing to have one light. When you had Seth Wallin's first CM punk in the cage match, because of their build up and their hatred towards each other on TV, so everyone and they're hit beating each other up every week, and they got to find some way to end the rivalry. So they have a cage match, which is fine, but there's other ones. How many times do you see a street fight? You kind of see it quite often, do you? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Definitely.
Speaker 2: You don't need a street fight all the time, do you?
Speaker 1: No, you really don't. And I understand there's a certain level where they kind of do bring back the hardcore rules to I guess pay homage to ECW back in the day, but it's not always needed.
Speaker 2: I agree with that, yeah, exactly, And if they wanted to do that, they should just bring back the hardcore title. I know, because the twenty four to seven title weren't really the same thing, was it.
Speaker 1: It really wasn't, And a PG version of a hardcore thing is not a good idea. You basically would be taking Ah, you're just taking the fun out of it, you know. The whole point of it was, Yes, it could be defended twenty four to seven, but it's also a hardcore title. It's not meant to be just oh yeah, if you can pin that guy while he's sleeping, you can have that belt. To me, it's a low card belt. Who wants that? Nobody was going to care about it. What is the point of having it? You know, who's going to brag about? Oh yeah, the guy's a three hundred and eighty seven time twenty four to seven champion. It's a joke. Come on. Nobody cared about it. And that's something else we're I'm glad that we're rid of, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, definitely, or do our truth was entertaining? But that's because he's the national treasure when it comes to it.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, our truth is great. And you know, even though I'm kind of making fun of that title, he made it entertaining. And just the fact that wasn't there one night where he's like hiding under the ring, like up on a table and then you see somebody like pulling out the table and then they see him just laying on it and smiles at him awkwardly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he did make it good.
Speaker 1: To be fair, Yeah, I will give him that.
Speaker 2: He uh yeah, really do I agree that that's titleways pointless? Really?
Speaker 1: Definitely? But uh yeah, man, you got anything else? You did bring up something else in our conversation that originally sparked this, so I want to let you have that one. I don't want to take it from you.
Speaker 2: What was it called? Remember?
Speaker 1: Oh was the poll parts?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah? Yeah, they keep happing in regularly, didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I get it. When there's something that works, you want to use it over and over. But the formula is getting old and it's becoming too repetitive, to the point where it's like I don't care about seeing these cat fights every single time that I get on and watch RAW for once, Like I don't want to see the same thing over and over again. If I wanted to see that, i'd keep watching the same movie. Let's see something different next time.
Speaker 2: You know, Well that the problem anyway, They didn't even do their job, so maybe they'll hold them back, but they still like manage to get away and fuck carry on fighting. So it's the same thing over and over again. Like you can see what's happening. It's like a pair of kids fighting at school and you've got the teachers trying to hold them back.
Speaker 1: You know, I might be the only one who does this, but do you ever look at some of these people that are holding them back and everything and try to figure out. Are any of these going to be the next world champion at some point?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And I always say look at them and think, what the hell is that guy going to do? He didn't exactly have any muscle on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of these guys are tiny, and it's like, Okay, maybe he's going to be a high flyer or something. You know. I don't really have a whole bio on some of these guys that we just see, but little do we know. At one point Joe Henry was one of those bodyguard types that we've seen on TV. We just didn't know it at the time. There's a there's a couple of wrestlers that used to be the rose Buds. I believe, I want to say it was Alias and someone else. I can't remember who the other person was, but yeah. It's funny when you start looking at these extras that you think are on there quote unquote extras, and then later on you see them on TV and you're like, hey, do I recognize this guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think Braun Struman was one of the Booze puts as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe it was Braun. So, yeah, it was Braun and Elias. I know were in the rose buds and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that guy I did that, but that was a type a book gimmick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, And that's another thing. We don't need some gimmicks. Just need to go ahead and go off into sunset, like one gimmick that I've always thought about that we don't need anymore. We don't need the foreign heel gimmick. We don't need Russia versus America or anybody for that matter, And we don't need like how Russev was portrayed against Sena. For a while, it felt like I was watching a Cold War era wrestling tape or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get what you mean. And the funny thing is he an even Russian anyway exactly?
Speaker 1: They called them the Bulgarian brute as well, which made me like, so why, Okay, I get they're somewhat close, but what this doesn't make sense?
Speaker 2: And then Lana is not Russian, She's American.
Speaker 1: So I'll make a little bit of a pass on certain things, like they're gonna play a character, it's cool, but like, if you're going to portray them as another country entirely but still give them like Russian ties, that doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I get that they're close, but nah, man, this just doesn't work for me. And yeah, I think we can do away with some of those heels and some of those type of characters. It just doesn't work anymore. We don't need the Iron Chic and what's his name anymore. I mean call off yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that type team, the French Ones what they called Love Assistance Mmmm okay, yeah, I think that they were a novel one new didn't like Americans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just don't need that as a gimmick anymore. It it served its purpose maybe back in the eighties, maybe even a little bit in the nineties, but nowadays it's just kind of coming gone. I especially understand it from before then, because you know, you had a the whole memory of Nazis and stuff was still fresh, and you saw guys like Fritz von Era coming out and acting that way. And at the time that makes sense. But nowadays that's kind of coming one look down on and nobody really wants to see it anymore. I get it. We don't need it anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. There is something or kind of myths as well with wrestling, what something and that is the old style count like El HEBNA slow count or whatever. They don't seem to do it very much anymore. It's very when the rest free count, it's for me one two free one two, like who counts like that?
Speaker 1: That's fair. I can understand that. But I do appreciate that at least they are consistent a little bit more with the referees nowadays. Excuse me, but something that I remember growing up and watching was I remember seeing like you would see a heel holding the face in the corner or something, and then you'd see them going beyond whatever the count was that the referee was giving, and then eventually, depending on who the referee was, they'd either pull them apart or they just call for the disqualification. I remember thinking, like, man, depending on who your referee is, you're getting screwed in these matches. You can be winning by this disqualification, or you can be just getting pulled apart and then getting cheated against later. That's kind of messed up. So I do appreciate that they worked a little bit on the consistency of being a referee.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, yeah, yeah, I can see that. I just missed that. I guess the dram of a the old style count that's true.
Speaker 1: I mean some refs are better than others with that. Like what's her name from aw Audrey? I think is her name Audrey or Aubrey wanted it too. I don't really remember her full name off the top of my head right now, but she has done a pretty good job of trying to be a character as well in the ring. And talking with Mike Keyota, he had explained, like being the third man in the ring, it really does give a different perspective on certain things because being that guy, if you mess up, everybody's gonna notice, and your performance is just as important. It's just not the same way. But if you mess up, boy do they know, and boy does everybody call you out? He actually explained, like Sean Michaels apparently used to be notorious for if a referee messed up their matches, especially at house shows, after the show was over, he'd be one to like tell the whole audience be like, yeah, this referee is a pos he don't know what he's doing type of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can see. Is it must be like quite difficult, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Maybe a little bit at the time, but yeah, it's something that God, I would love to have a conversation with him about it. I think that'd be really cool. But I digress either way. But yeah, man, So anything else that you can think of about things that we just don't needt a wrestling because I'm kind of tapped out at this point.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, you submitting you?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think I have anything else in my head anyways that we don't need anymore. But I do like that we kind of went to like things that we could use more of as well. If you have any of that, go.
Speaker 2: For it, dude, Yeah, what can we use more of? Well? Going back to the finish I thing just to finish and whin the goddamn match on a normal show rule or something, and you didn't have to kick out on that, do you know me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't really need to play up too much drama on your just regular shows, you know. I will say that, Uh, what was I going to bring up? So when it comes to these promos recently, did you hear about what happened with the Charlotte and what's her name?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it apparently went off script and all that, But I do kind of wonder if it was a work just to get some heat on it if you go, I mean.
Speaker 1: Maybe, but yeah, Charlotte and Tiffy, I mean hearing and seeing what they were saying. Apparently it's also been removed from like Netflix and stuff. I'd have to go back and see if it's actually there or not, but from what I've heard, yeah, they're like taking it pretty serious. I don't know everything that happened. I've read the script of it, but man, if that's really going on, I'm kind of impressed if it is a work, but if not, then it's a little too real there.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like because obviously they're going against each other, so I know, not every wrestler likes each other, but they have to work together or whatever. But in this case, it's probably they were struggling with their promos, I think, and the back and forth wasn't exactly brilliant, and because they were getting very good feedback what I could hear. But like on this Narviia, it was a case of I think Tiffany said something about have ha been what free marriages or something.
Speaker 1: I think it was three or four divorces at this point. Yeh, yeah, yeah, it's a.
Speaker 2: Bit and then she walked out the ring and then Charlotte said something like Ludwig's in my DMS, which is obviously not true, but.
Speaker 1: I mean it's entertaining. I'll give it that. So I do kind of hope it isn't work and I hope they're not going too far against each other there. But you know what, maybe they're doing some method acting. I don't know, maybe they agreed to it beforehand, and maybe they're just having fun. But that's the case, Yeah, heck, have fun with it. But all right, I'm kind of coming to the end here. I don't think that we have too much in the mind right now. So I guess I could ask Scott, do you have any recommendations for the audience this week?
Speaker 2: It's a British drama. I don't know if you've watched it, MAV called Adolescence. Have you seen it?
Speaker 1: Oh, I've seen the trailers on Netflix. I haven't watched it yet, but I do want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, basically, the main character the lad he plays to like called Jamie, and he's accused of killing murdering a fellow schoolgirl. Basically, but the main purpose of it, it's only four episodes, one series, four episode. The main purpose is it of the program is it goes deep into the characters themselves. So rather than just be like, oh, yeah, why did you kill him? And oh I killed him because of this or whatever like that, it's more of a you see more of the character, like them getting angry and like what it means to like the parents of the kid, what their life is like afterwards, if you get me.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Interesting.
Speaker 2: So it's very like The camera work I found was quite entertaining as well because it was different, like it follows the actors around rather than just like laid back. It kind of follows their footsteps, if that makes sense. So when they go into a room, you'll go into the room with stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see, so they're like legitimately following them instead of just being like a camera set up in the next room for them or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And it's kind of cool, loud they did it, and it's got like Stephen Graham, who's like one of the most underrated actors. He's brilliant. He's from Liverpool and he's been in loads of things like This is England. I don't know if you ever seen that film.
Speaker 1: I have not yet, but I'll put it on the list.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, and he's also there was also one of my favorite series that came from This Is England film, which was This Is England series. There was eighty six, eighty eight, and ninety and basically they continued from that film, so he was in all them as well, along with the original actors from the first film. And he's just a brilliant actor. He's really past, like really good at what he does basically. So that would be my recommendation for someone to watch.
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds good man, So my recommendation for this week, guys, there's an old movie and I guess they're making continuation of it soon and I'm really excited for it. It's gonna be starring Liam Neeson. So let's go back and watch the original. Let's watch the old Naked Gun movie because as dumb as it is, that comedy Leslie Nielsen put out, I love it. I eat it up. That's one of my favorite things ever between Airplane the Naked Gun. Some of the Scary Movie franchise loved it. But yeah, so I guess that's it for this week. Guys. As usual, do some nice for somebody you never know who needs it. You guys know where to reach us at this point. With that the words of Memphis Mark, we're out.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to the WWE podcast. Don't forget to subscribe on your favorite podcast app so you don't miss a show, or head to WWE podcast dot com and for all of these shows add free head over to Patreon dot com slash WWE podcast. Until then, we'll see you next time.