Speaker 1: Greeney's in salutations everyone of Trich Wilson Walking Too. Fantasy Baseball Live Today is January fifth, about three o'clock in the afternoon. I'm here with as always from my good buddy mister Tim McLeod. What we who we now refer to as mute boy.
Speaker 2: You know that that modern technology, it still stumps me on acasion, Rich.
Speaker 1: We would have been started two or three minutes earlier, but Tim could hear me. I I couldn't hear Tim. He assumed it was something on my side. And Tim what what was the answer?
Speaker 2: Apparently I accidentally leaned on the but for my headset and there we were.
Speaker 1: There, we were catching.
Speaker 2: Each other because of my technology challenges.
Speaker 1: Again, that's that's okay. We've got a great show, Timmy. We are starting Tim's rankings, which is very exciting. We starting with catching and Tim and I were talking about it beforehand. It's it's pretty close to where the ADPs are going at the NFBC. And Tim, why don't you kind of give us your thoughts on why you think that's the case.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think catchers is a smaller group, and you're looking at with that smaller group, I think for the most part, the numbers heading into each and every season are fairly well defined, so that that leaves us cause to be pretty much in the same area. And I think it was that way last year, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: It's been that way since we've started doing this years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yeah, it's it's just a category a position that isn't a controversial per se or doesn't have the overall numbers. Like when you look at the oatfield, you're looking at a base of you know, fifteen times five seventy five outfielders just to fill your slots. And with that sheer volume of numbers comes the opportunity for larger discrepancies when you're looking at filling in a lot of cases, you know, a twelve team league, you're in twenty four catchers. Okay, I think that twenty four is fairly well divined, and you just don't get the wild swings that you can with with deeper positions.
Speaker 1: I think that makes total sense, and I appreciate. I appreciate what you said there, and I agree with it. And we're going to about my NFC draft and how I look forward to it, how I set up was going to handle catching and then how sometimes the draft presents opportunities or challenges to me and you've got to be able to kind of adjust to that. So we'll talk about that as well, and then if we have time, but you probably won't, well, we still have the Al West fantasy questions. We will get to that at some point, but we'll just use that as filler if we run out as time. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: It makes total sense. And I agree one hundred and ten percent on your statement. You know, it's fine to make plans going in, okay, and you start looking at what you want to do, But a draft, it's it's a live, living, breathing entity. And just because you make yourself a plan, it doesn't mean when opportunity arises you don't deviate from it if it's going to better your opportunities. Yeah, it's hard to go in saying I'm going to do this, this, this, when there are fourteen other teams play yourself and the myriad of combinations that can occur at times. So I think it's very important that you are very flexible on draft day and take advantage of those opportunities when they exist.
Speaker 1: Opportunities are bad decisions, all that kind of stuff plays into it, and I said, why don't we just talk about it now? Because one of the things as I was going through it, Like Tim knows me very well, I'm very methodical. I think through everything, which is a great attribute and also a curse because I can overthink things. And sometimes I find myself doing that. I look back at it and go, that just was dumb. You know, I should have just done the thing that made the most sense and not overthink, you know, the extremities and the kind of very outward fringe cases. And sometimes I do that and it gets me into trouble. But we'll see Timmy. First of all, let's talk about it. Can we talk about the first round? I just want to go through the first it's.
Speaker 2: A it's here, I gotta know, it's.
Speaker 1: Uh, And there's a couple of very interesting interesting ones in here. There's some very interesting picks which we're going to get into that. I kind of went, wow, that guy went early. But so fifteen team league, NFBC Draft and hole, no trades, fifty rounds. I think most people listening to this podcast know that particular format. There's literally I think last year there were five thousand leagues, No five thousand teams, So whatever five thousand divided by fifteen is. There's a I mean, there's a lot of leagues out that play this particular format.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a popular one. There is no dotor boat. Then, as we mentioned here, it's replaced the mock draft, and it's entirety pretty much.
Speaker 1: Number I'm just going to give you the first seven. I'll give you the first eight players, and then I'll let you comment. Number one Bobby Wit Junior, two, La de la Cruz, three, show Heytani, four, Aaron Judge, five, Gunner Henderson six, Jose Ramirez seven, Kyle Tucker and number eight one Soto. What's the first thing that comes to your mind?
Speaker 2: The batting average price to be paid for Elie de la Cruz at number two versus the rewards on the stolen bases. I don't know if I would have headed in that direction, I would have been more comfortable building batting average. That's the first. That's the thing that leaps out with a man. Hey, I get Elie dela Cruz, but if he hits two thirty, you're gonna have to find batting average somewhere. And finding batting average after round ten is a lot tougher than finding stolen bases.
Speaker 1: I don't know who this player is, but I love kind of what they did because they took Ellie do look, you're gonna this because this is a this guy's gonna win going away or he's totally screwed.
Speaker 2: So Ellie fences.
Speaker 1: Here's his first five picks, Elie de la Cruz, Ronald Acuna, Jacob de Gram, Yamamoto, and Rookie Sasaki besides Yamamoto. There that's a lot of risk, so a.
Speaker 2: Huge, incredibly huge risky. It could be golden and it could be it could be a struggle. The one I questioned the most out of that group pro would be Sasaki because there's pictures you can take, you know, with de Gram and who's his second Pittu Yamamoto, Yamamoto. That's high risk right there. What I would have done is taken a possibly skip, taken a bat rather than that third picture, and then gone with a picture in the next round. You know, one hundred and seventy, five hundred and eighty and relatively safe as he's just safe compared to some pitchers, you know, starter, you know, just building one hundred green or somebody you know, he took.
Speaker 1: He took Tyler glasno To two rounds later. So it's it's a high risk team. And you know, at first I'm looking at going, well, that's I would ever have done that. But if you if you've got the balls to take ledl like Cruise with the second pick, I mean, why not, I mean, why not completely go for it. It completely could blow up in the guy's face. Or he could literally win this league going away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's not going to finish midpacket.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so, which which which I really really I thought that was fun. I mean, part of the reason you play this is to have fun. You know. I try to have fun with drafting all rookies a few years ago, and it was fun at the draft table and pretty miserable six months. But uh yeah.
Speaker 2: I think my my philosophy is I'd rather have fun over the six months than two weeks to build the team in the off season. But let's just be yeah.
Speaker 1: So, any any other Otani, Judge Gunner, Jose Kyle Tucker want so.
Speaker 2: Anything, Yeah, I probably would have moved up one.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yeah, But.
Speaker 2: That's again, that's the only one that really leaps out to me is Ellie, and again it's his philosophy and good for him. Over works.
Speaker 1: Still, I still maintained that one soda might be the safest floor in all of baseball.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so uh okay, nine through fifteen, this is where it starts to get interesting. Julio Rodriguez all the way up to nine, Mookie Betts, Paul Skeens at eleven, Corb and Carrol We had talked about that at one of the podcasts we were doing. I was on the clock. I might have taken care if he fell to me at thirteen. He didn't. As as told to everyone, I would take Vlad Junior, I did. Fernando Tatis goes at fourteen, and then the guy I was hoping that would be on my team at thirteen was not. He goes with a fifteenth pick, and that is Jackson Cheerio, So.
Speaker 2: What do you think of He went a couple picks higher than mine, and I thought I was reasonably high when I took him. I think third pick in the second round. So yeah, it's I got no problems with the pick.
Speaker 1: I don't either. I mean, it's it's it just it just shows how he's moving up and Corbyn Carroll dropped a little bit right. He went to the twelfth pick, and you and I talked about it. Would I take Corbyn Carroll with the thirteenth? And I might have if he would have gone one more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got one starting next week, the second one of the two that I do early. And if Corbyn Carroll's there at thirteen, yeah, you'll find just wait to my team.
Speaker 1: What about Paul Skins at eleven?
Speaker 2: Uh? I get the love for Paul Skins. Look what he did last year. If he stays healthy, there's no reason that we can't anticipate him doing the same thing. But again, he's heading into his sophomore year. He hasn't got a full year in Yeah. I for me, it's not It's not a route that I'm going to be taking. I'm going to you know, if I'm drafting towards the back end, I'm not touching pitching until my third pick and just go accordingly and let them fall where they do. I I don't want to have to overpay for pitching when I think the mid tier has plenty of options once you get into rounds five through to ten. In there, there's lots of really good options in that range. I'd rather if I have to take three pitchers back to back and play out of that particular area of the draft.
Speaker 1: That's kind of my thinking as well. So I agree wholeheartedly with you there. But overall, I mean the guys that when nobody really dropped and and guys went really early though. Jackson Cheerios first pick, last pick in the first round, Wyatt Langford, first pick in the third round.
Speaker 2: In the third round, Okay.
Speaker 1: He went with the thirty first pick. I mean his ADP is sitting in fifty. I mean, so I was hoping he'd be on the board when I came back around for my third pick, and that was not to be.
Speaker 2: So well, again, the upside potential is there. Okay, we saw the strong September. It's the real deal, and people have strong feelings about some players. I'm sure Tristan Cassis went ahead.
Speaker 1: He went late, he went late, he went late, he did Cassis went the tenth round early in the tenth round.
Speaker 2: Wow, wow, whoa, whoa, Yep, it was. It's been a different it's.
Speaker 1: Been a different kind of draft. I mean, things have been a bit all over the place. Let me just tell you a little bit about my my picks. That's people probably interested in. So we're in the seventeenth round, and it is appropriate that we're talking about catchers because I have none yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, getting it's getting close to that time, I would think.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, so it's getting pretty close, and so we're going to talk about what happened there in a minute. But my second pick, so I wanted one of four players that were left, Fernando Tatis, Jackson Curio or Jared Durant or Francisco lindor Jan Duran, one of those four guys. I was pretty sure with five picks i'd get one of them, and I got Jared Durant. Not my first pick. I would have liked to have had Jackson Curio, Francisco Lindor, Jared Durant, Fernana Tatis. That would have been the I wish I would have had those guys. So I got the third up. But that's that was okay, it was good. So I got a got an outfielder, got the first basement I wanted come come back around. Lots of pictures went off the board. Jacob de Gram, Corbyn Burns, Dylan Cees were off the board. Paul Skins, Trek Scougble, Garrett Cruschets. All the big guys were off. So I wanted a short stop. I wanted a high end shortsop, so I went with Corey Seeger. So I felt like I had big power with Seeger and Guerrera. I had big speed with Duran. I didn't have a picture yet, and this is where it was interesting. So next one Hayter, Mason Miller, George Kirby, and I'm sitting there going I really need a picture, but should I take a closer? And I'm looking at it and all the big closers are off the board. The next tier is coming up, the Felix Bautistas, Ryan Helsley's, Andre's mun those guys right, and I'm trying to calculate it and figure it out. I said, I think all of them are going to be gone, but maybe I'll have a shot at Robert Suarez or maybe Jeron Durand so that was my that was my thoughts. So I saw Chris Sail on the board and I'm thinking, man, the fourth round, Chris Sale, yeah, he heard his hat as it was a lap problem or back problem in the playoffs, but he was awfully good. Everything in the data looked good about him, so he was my first picture off the board. He was not one of my targets, but I thought it was an opportunity because I'm looking at the other starting pictures and he by far was the best picture on the board. Then I came back in the fifth round with Hunter Green. Your fault, I got Lad Durant, Seeger Sailing Green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you got balance on your offense, you got a big speed guy. You got power average. When you look at your your pitching, Yeah, Sailing Green, you're looking at three hundred and fifty two, three hundred and fifty to four hundred strikeouts at your top two. I thought, with Grady, Ara and Web, yeah, that's a that's a fine choice it all.
Speaker 1: But as I was, as I was worried, Durant and Suarez went rap before me, so I I was left with the next group of uh Alexis Diaz and Lucas Ersig. They were the next two off the board. So that's why I went with Hunter Green, because I'm thinking, we're gonna wait for a while. I looked and it was myself and one other team were the only people without a closer yet, so I'm thinking there's no point in jumping in early on one of those two guys. One of them is going to be when I come back around the next time through. So I went green. I love Seya Susuki. I decided to get my second outfitter, so that's who I went with in the sixth round. Then I came. I came back with my first closer. I wanted lucas Ierusa. He went about five picks before that, and I got Alexis Diaz, which is it's a volatile guide team. I'm not I'm I felt for almost twenty four hours. I just felt bad. I just didn't like the pick. I'm like, but I needed a closer. That's what I got. But I look back and I love all my first guys, but I got Alexis Dias. So I got to figure something to do.
Speaker 2: So what is what is your The one positive with Alexis Diaz is Cruise is now a Yankee, okay, And I think the leash will belong with Alexis Diaz and that counts. Okay. If you're going to take from the cheer you're in with with risk on closers. If you're going to take your risk knock off the cloes in waiting. Okay, that isn't waiting, and it improves your odds somewhat. You know, if you're if you've got three or four closers sitting there and they all have that same risk, find the one that's got the lousiest setup guy and go with him. At least that's what I would do.
Speaker 1: I would have preferred. Lucas Er said, I think he's a better picture. But I liked your logic there, and I knew that Cruz had left, so that was another. Yeah, it was almost I gotta take them like, I don't want to wait any further. I gotta take a closer because in this in this draft and holds it, there is no waiver wire. That is the guy you get.
Speaker 2: You're blowing off a category. And let's face it, even if Alexis Diez is mediocre at best, of the fourteen other teams that have the that have that have closers already, because every team probably has one at this stage, maybe maybe some teams have two. They're going to deal with injuries, and improves your chances with every injury, hoping that Alexis d Is isn't the one getting injured right.
Speaker 1: So I took Alexisis in the seventh round, coming back around on the eighth five picks later. And I saw a lot of young kids coming off the board early, and I got some older players. I mean, I mean, you know, I'm Vlad Junior is a little younger, but I got some older guys, and I really wanted Dylan Cruz on my team. So I took Dylan Cruise in the eighth round around early, but given what I was seeing, he wasn't coming back.
Speaker 2: No, And I think that's something that you know when you're drafting at either end, especially, Yeah, you wanted Dylan Cruz. You believe in Dylan Cruz. Who cares if it's around early, he'd be a right could have been around late. Somebody could have taken him the round before. You you know what I mean, It's a it's a game where you don't know the answer. And hey, I don't think moving a player up around or two. I don't see any problems in that whatsoever. If it fits to what you're looking for. And you believe in the Blair.
Speaker 1: Well, I believe in I believe in I believe in the next player. It's a little risky because he might not he's not signed yet, and that is Jack Flaherty as my third pitcher. I mean, I think he figured some stuff out in Detroit. I hope he goes back there and then the next round, Timmy, I'm sorry, Mike Trout in the tenth round, Okay, I mean, give me a break.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, if.
Speaker 1: It wasn't you know what I mean. Yeah, cass has went one pick before that. I mean they were both just sitting at the top of the queue for a while. I'm thinking, what what is going on here? Yeah, he's hurt, and once he gets hurt, he's done. I mean, I get it. But Mike Trout was on Arguably he's having his best year before he got hurt last year. This is a guy that's the data still likes. Looks like he still has it. So I said, Mike Trout in tenth round, I'm in.
Speaker 2: I think he was leading major League Baseball and home runs.
Speaker 1: He was, That's right. Unfortunately, that was that was in May and he never came back. So there's that detail, right, So I like it.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: So I've got four outfielders at this point, and people who've read my draft targets. I was saying, you know, you don't need to go early on on outfielders, don't wait till late. But it was just an opportunity, and uh, all of those guys were targets of mine, and I jumped on them. I got four pitchers, I've got a short step. I got a first baseman, no middle infielder's, no third baseman, no catcher. That's where I'm sitting. So coming back in the eleventh round, I looked a little light in stolen bases, though I believe that Cruise is going to provide that. And obviously Durandez I went with the cal Garcia. As you know, I'm still a believer.
Speaker 2: He's your guy. With him.
Speaker 1: Then I felt like it was time to go back for my second closer because I waited on my first one. I didn't want to get you know, the guy in Colorado Kinley or something like that. So so I was sitting there with Peter Pete Fairbanks. Uh, Peter Hodge, you know, I loved him, turn me on the him. But I'm looking at Liam Hendricks and everybody's forgetting about Liam Hendricks, and I didn't want somebody else to figure out that Liam Hendricks is a pretty damn good pitcher and should be back, and it's with Boston. They're saying he's going to be the closer. It was a bit of a risk, but I went Liam Hendricks.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, here in the tenth round.
Speaker 1: I'm in the twelfth round, okay, and.
Speaker 2: You got you got Hendrix. Yeah. The issue with Hendricks is if he does struggle, Chapman's there, that's okay.
Speaker 1: I will make sure I grab Chapman.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I was going to say, yeah, I get Chapman a little bit later on. But you know that Liam Hendricks is actually younger than Chapman.
Speaker 1: Yes, well a lot, most everybody tell me Chatman.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we always think of Hendricks as being old, but he's a he's a full uh he's a full year younger than Chapman. Hmm, yeah, no, that's he.
Speaker 1: But at this at this point, most of the catchers have gone off the board. I just, I mean I liked Tyler Stevenson. I mean, I I like Francisco Alvarez, but I was busy with Michael Trout and making sure I shore up catching. I just I felt like I had other needs to fill and once I decided to wait on catching. Well, I decided to wait on catching, and it was okay, that's what you do. Yeah, because another another young player that you and I talked about, we think he's ready for a breakout, as Jackson Holiday. I wasn't gonna let him get past the thirteenth thirteenth round. So I took Jackson Holiday, came back with Sean Maniah and Gavin Williams, and then finished it up in the sixteenth round with And I told everybody was going to do this the guy I hate, Nolan Jones and my team there you go. So just so everybody knows, I don't hold a grudge. I will take a guy if I think there's value there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think there is a sixty and outfield at that stage has got to be getting for these bars.
Speaker 1: I've got five of them. I've got five of them, and there's and I got a second basement, a third baseman. I don't have a catcher. That's the only thing. So catching is going to be my weak point and maybe closing. So I'm going to have to probably go early with some setup guys. I might even go with, you know, a low end closer here for my third guy, just to make sure I get it. I've got seven pitchers, so it's I gave up on I I gave up on catching, and you got it. Not every sometimes things just don't work out. But I liked other players better as I was going through the process.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just like the old Rolling Stone song. You know, you can't always get what you want, but you might end up with what you need and that might work oh better in the long term. Right, Yeah, yeah, Yeah, you can't pass up Mike trow in half a season. He can. He can give you twenty plus home runs and fifty five sixty RBIs yep. Yeah, find another outfielder, stash them away or two, which you're going to do in a fifty rounder, and pray for health, right Sean.
Speaker 1: And I was did not make my targets, as our patron members know this, but he was right on the cuffs. And I'll tell everybody why. If you take a look at his first and second half splits, they're pretty stark. It was a five sixty eight first half era like a three eighteen second half era. And if you take a look at his delivery, he lowered his delivery, which is probably gonna put a lot more stress on his arm, so he could come up with arm injury. I just hope it won't be this season. But he literally coming to the left side with a little lower three quarters delivery, given his stuff, that's going to flat out play. And I think that that attributed a lot to the success he had in the second half. So it was a calculated take there, knowing that something definitively happened, that he changed something, he had the success. Yes, there's more injury risk now, but I'm hoping acrossing my fingers he'll be good for another season.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, if you get one hundred and twenty five to one hundred and thirty innings, that'll suffice where you drafted him. Yeah, yeah, that works. That works. And by by not just looking and saying, well, you had a better second half, you found the reason why.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, sometimes you have a better first half or a better second half and there is no reason why. That's a little more concerning than than searching through and coming up with the definition.
Speaker 1: The nice thing about slow drafts is Sean and I, because I looked up quickly looked at the splits and like, wow, that's pretty dramatic and looked at the stuff and I didn't really see any difference in the stuff. I'm going, well, that's really weird. Has he been interviewed? I mean, clearly, somebody that was that much better in the second half than the first half, somebody must have interviewed him on that. So I found an interview where he said, yeah, I changed my arm delivery. So then I went back to went back to the video. I looked at his like an April delivery and an August delivery, and sure enough he had lowered his delivery. And I go, okay, done, Yeah, yeah, no, you're You're It's a calculated it's a calculated risk. So if I take out my pitch and I got sale Green Flaherty, Maniah, Gavin Williams is my top five guys. I feel really good about it. Timmy, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like what you've done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I got two young bets with Holiday and Cruise. Holiday might blow up on both of us, but I think in the thirteenth round, I just think the upside. The data looks so good on this guy, even though the data that counts his batting average, home runs and solar basis looks terrible. Uh, the underlying data looks a lot better than that.
Speaker 2: Well, and if you're going to take a chance on a player, take a chance on a player that has significant upside, right yep, and he does as just cruise. Yeah, So no, I I like it when you what's left for catcher or are we gonna are we gonna leave that to to when we actually discussed the catching position.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's I mean, I've got some ideas, but there's a lot of our Patreon members are playing in this league, so that's what that's what they're taking Ryant Langford early and things like that. So I'm gonna hold that to my I've got a guy that I want. If you read my my targets, you'll see who that is. But it's it's it's going to be too under the radar guys. It just is. And I'm probably gonna I'm probably gonna get young rookie catcher as my third or fourth guy, So makes sense. Maybe your guy Carter Jensen or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are going to see catchers get called up in a long season, so there are no shortage of young kids chomping at the bid. So no good good job, good job.
Speaker 1: I think I feel good about it. I mean, you never do when you're going through it, particularly when it's slow. I mean, the emotions are up and down, and because it's so long, you don't really have an emotion at the end. It's just you look at these players and I go, well, I like all the players. Do I like my construction of my team. Boy, I wish I had a catcher. Boy, I wish I had a top endcloser. So I always go to the negatives, right, It's like, man, I wish I had this, but I just don't. I don't know what to say it. Don't you know what?
Speaker 2: You can't get everything you want At some point in time. You know you made your decision when you your fourth pick, Chris say, yeah, yeah, you know, do you want to strike out and the overall influence of that low era cast upon your team or do you want to go with a closer at that stage? And I went went with the starter. I know, I know in my draft I took I'm just gonna pull it up real quick, but I'm pretty sure I took Josh Josh Hater early. But after Hater I just sort of just sort of left it and the way you go right, Well, what I did.
Speaker 1: And again this is an advantage of slow dress is you're looking that up. When I knew I had a chance to take Chris Sale, I'm like, I mean, thirty seven years old one Tommy John Surgery was Cygong Award winner plays for the Brave. So just do really good things with pictures? Or do I go with a closer What do I do? And I literally just close my computer, got on my running shoes and I went out for a run. And somewhere midway through my run, I said, I'm taking Chris Sale. That's the that feels like the smart play, the opportunity that's there. So for all the people that draft that, I apologize, you're on the clock for forty minutes. I was out thinking, but that's I thought that was a critical like I could screw this complete. I could screw this draft up right here. And that's that's the decision I made. We'll see if it works out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I took Hater, but I took Kirby at three thirteen, and then I took Haber Hater, and I took Biby Skip Skip So so.
Speaker 1: So Hater lasted to the fifth.
Speaker 2: Round, fourth round. I went with two pictures in three four.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so I went Seeger and sale, you went, uh, you went Kirby and Hater. Hater was Hater available, Hater was already gone.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, Well, the difference between our two drafts is we we have a waiver wire and play in season, okay, and you don't. Okay. So that changes the matrix big time.
Speaker 1: I could have gone Kirby would have been there with the third pick, but Hater went to pick aftermine in the third, so he would I could not have done the guy picking in fourteen with Hater Kirby.
Speaker 2: So okay, okay. So in fact, interesting.
Speaker 1: He did Francisco Lindor Hayter Kirby. He did the exact same thing you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, except I got Cheerio with my second pick. And then of after I had my two bats, I had one, two, three, four. My next five picks, four of them were pitchers.
Speaker 1: Yep, I will take. I will tell you it's fun drafting.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is fun. It's it's it's you. If you can't you can't beat an early draft, you're really It just gets you, warms the cookles of your heart.
Speaker 1: Doesn't it totally agree. So I hope everybody got something out of that, not saying my picks are right, saying my strategy is right. But at least you got a chance to hear two guys now with two drafts, Ten's draft in my draft, talking about our logic and what we're doing and whether it makes sense or not. And if you can apply that to some of your thinking, good or bad, you could say that's totally not the right way to do it. I'm going to do something different, at least hopefully, Timmy, the conversation helps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it is early, a lot of things are going to change. But I think the logic that we both utilized in trying to assemble our teams is solid and hopefully but like you said, I just reiterated, people can get something out of it when they get into their own to.
Speaker 1: Mean to take a break. Wow, we've gone thirty four minutes forgot to wish you happy Happy New Year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, happy New Year you and the family as well.
Speaker 1: Rich Now you're probably not a curb your enthusiasm. Larry David fan but he did a whole episode on when is it too late to wish somebody a happy New Year, which I think he came up with three days, so I might be a little late. But next week it is too late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next week, yeah, it probably is. I posted memap on the up on my Facebook page about people in Christmas decorations, like why are they putting them up? Like three hundred and sixty some odd days early?
Speaker 1: So when do you take your Christmas decorations down?
Speaker 2: I don't whenever whenever Joji decides to pull them down. Right now, I'm saying they're up for next year? How's that? I'm early?
Speaker 1: Are they so? Seriously? Are the Christmas decoration? Do you still have Christmas decoration in your home? Up?
Speaker 2: Let me just take a quick spy around here. I live here, but you never know it. Sometimes I think, uh no, the tree is the tree is down, but some of the other stuff is up. Lights, internal lights, we get some lights and rees.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's time to take them down.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, don't you think? Yeah, I'll mention that.
Speaker 1: Some please don't ours comes down January.
Speaker 2: That richest direction our our.
Speaker 1: History here is January first. Everything comes down, whether we still like it or not.
Speaker 2: It's okay.
Speaker 1: In places in the South December twenty second, I'm excuse me, Jim's twenty six trees are out on the side of the road. I mean, that's that's it. There, You're done with Christmas is done.
Speaker 2: Well, I know in retail stores are already ever, they're already pushing palaties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. So we got a little bit of news and notes. And as I reported last week, and what I was hearing about Jack Flaherty was he didn't want to go back to the Orioles, and that's now being reported pretty broadly that it didn't go so well with them, and nobody knows why, just didn't go very well. So the Orioles need pitching him, and they turned to forty one year old Charlie Morton. It's only a one year deal, but it's almost like taking Lewis a rise in a draft. It feels like you've done something wrong if you have to have Charlie Morton in your rotation.
Speaker 2: Well, and hey, not knocking them for chasings again. Over there's only a one year deal and he's thirty five. It's almost like they're taking that, they're taking what's left over, and you know what, Charlie Morton, he might be an upgrade. Okay, Over with Baltimore can currently rule as a number five starter. But I've said it numerous times already taking the Oaths to the promised land. Yeah, four nineteen year A last year is age forty one, season forty two this year.
Speaker 1: It's embarrassing town, It's embarrassing.
Speaker 2: I think the O's right now are in the process of doing what the Jays did four or five years ago. The mindset, we've got all these prospects, We're not going to give them away. We're not. You know, we got four years of stability and the big bets and everything, and before you know it, it'll be two years before Gunner and Adelaie walk and they'll be saying the same thing and they won't have a title.
Speaker 1: I just I think it's now practice. I think it's terrible. I mean that this is the direction they're going, and they either nobody wants to sign with them or they're just unwilling to fork over the prospects or fork over the money. It is not a good situation. And I mean Charlie Morton's he's fine, He's a number five starter. They don't need number five starters. They need somebody to replace Corbyn Burns that they just do. And it's not Zach Efflin. It might be Grayson Rodriguez, but he's a kid.
Speaker 2: Still, well, yeah, he's a kid, and he's also lost time due to injuries so far right he has.
Speaker 1: Indeed, I think he's really I think he's very good.
Speaker 2: Though, yes, I agree, I think he's a very good pitcher. But they need they need a number one, number two type starter. I think Athlyn's a fine number three, and maybe someday Grayson Rodriguez will be that das or then number two. But right now there's a hole at the top of that rotation and they're not It doesn't look like they're going to be trying to fill it anytime soon.
Speaker 1: It just feels like Max sures there's going to be the next guy they announced, and it's just, you know, what the hell are you doing? Like there was a there was a meme that said Joe Biden was a pretty good pitcher in his days. He's only eighty two years old, so he's a available now, so they're gonna sign him. I'm like, great, the list, next on the list, get the old guys out there. Anyway, I'm disappointed, as uh, my wife's a huge Oriols fan. As everybody knows, I watch a lot of the games. It's it's it's upsetting as a fan, and it's as an analyst. It's also ticks me off because it's just not right. I mean, they're they're they're not going about it the right way. I can't believe this is gonna work.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, I can't believe it's gonna work either. I think what's going to end up happening is they're gonna waste Ano. They're one of those what total of five six years. They're gonna waste another year this year and next year they're going to be searching for the same thing that they could have been actually having this year, that that's a starting pitcher. Unlet's and let's say let's they have plans on signing Sazaki. Yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, apparently Sasaki's the end of the month he's sposed to sign. They're saying after the twentieth. I don't know why they picked the twentieth, but that was a report I saw. So he's gonna go out less.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. He's making his rounds right now and doing his due diligence. But I'm sure he's got a short list of teams.
Speaker 1: Somebody sent us a note, maybe it was Bob king High that that you Darvish told him to sign with the Cubs. That's what he heard.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you know, if you look around Major League Baseball, the Cubs have got a great history of signing Asian players. So does Texas. Okay, Boston has had more than its fair share of Asian players. Okay, there's a group of teams that have done their due diligence over the years and have signed a lot of the Asian players. And I'm sure they're going to all be at or near the top of the list, you know what I mean, Darbish. No, Darvish is very close to Zaki Affharan, and again I wouldn't be shocked if he signed with the Cubs. Yeah, i'd say, is a Zuki go back to food Jakowa that they've had plenty of players and recruited heavily from Asia, I wouldn't Yeah, Texas is another team outside of the West Coast that's done the same in Boston. On the East Coast, the Yankees. Boston and the Yankees of both done their fair share of recruiting other japan and Koreas.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the good news for him is he can sign with any team that he wants because they're all because he's going to be limited by the international money and there's not a big discrepancy between the teams with the lowest international budget and the highest international budget, so he's you know, he should be able to pick the team that he wants to go to. The Dodgers think it's going to be them because they have nobody for this first time in years, one of the big international signings, they haven't committed to anybody, so they've got everything lined up to grab him if they don't. As Tim and I have talked about, somebody who's been made a commitment to is not going to get the money and it's just going to trickle down, which is going to be fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a question for him, rich can teams offer to an international player like Suzaki? Can they offer him so many flights? Did your pany here? Can they offer him a a luxury box? Can they offer him perks of that nature?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I would think that'd be a little dicey because it's not a major league contract, and that might they might think that that is that's financial that's a financial compensation that's above and beyond what you're allowed to sign internationally. So I'm going to say no. But that's just that's just thinking about.
Speaker 2: It about a car and a driver, security, all those things.
Speaker 1: They might be to get away with that because that would be considered part of the baseball development process.
Speaker 3: But I'm just curious because I would think everybody would be I think everybody would be providing that an interpreter and a driver and things like that.
Speaker 1: So but I don't know if you can get away with You're going to give him a half million dollar luxury or a million dollar luxury box, which is an asset of a million dollars and he basically goes on stubhop and puts it out. You know, I'm not sure that would be allowed.
Speaker 2: Well I'm sure his goal it wouldn't be, But I get where you're coming from. Yeah, you could turn that asset into cash pretty quick.
Speaker 1: It's kind of hard to do that with an interpreter and a driver. I mean, I mean, I guess you could make your driver be an uber driver at night or something like that. I mean, I get, but that would be a little that might be a most demnimous type of money. But I would think a luxury box would be a big deal. So that's they're good questions. I haven't thought through that. I'll ask some of the agents that I work with and see what they say.
Speaker 2: But yeah, i'd be cus I'd be curious as to how far you can go okay before you cross that line. And there is a line there somewhere, I just don't know it.
Speaker 1: It's probably anything that is of significant value, would be my guess, and that's always going to be open for interpretation. I would guess a luxury box is too much. A driver is probably not. Now it's the driver driving a Ferrari versus you know, a Ford. I don't know so, but but that's interesting, so always interesting thing, all right. The other signing was it's not hassan Kim, it's I think hasan kim. Is that how you would pronounce it?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I think it's high. Otherwise rounds like an eye, But I could be.
Speaker 1: H y E s O n G is the way I read it, as opposed to h a hyphen ata se o n G. But so I got my my, uh, I don't know anything about this guy. Tell us about him. But you've ritt just realized you're going to get a couple of zero point zeros as you're talking about.
Speaker 2: It, but I can't hear them, so I just ignore it.
Speaker 1: Okay, why did Dodger sign him?
Speaker 2: Why did Dodger sign him? I think we might have to discuss that with Gavin Lucks.
Speaker 1: You been saying that, you said that one last week is Gavin Luck's going to be the starter on I think I said July first or something you said. No.
Speaker 2: Well, I think this might sort of play into this because Kim was a shortstop before moving to second base, and I've looked I've looked at the film of of Kim and I think he can still play strong enough. I think it is enough range there as a second baseman. Defensively, he's elite. Okay, we're talking krem Dela Creme. As far as his defense is concerned. Uh, Looking from the shortstop, I would say he's probably average, maybe a bit above. But second base. Second base is where you ideally want that glove, and it, like I said, is truly elite.
Speaker 1: So what kind of offense are we talking about here?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's where things get tricky. He's a e lite off hitter, So you're looking at his biggest year from a PowerPoint of view in Korea, even with their their dead bull. Last year he had eleven home runs. So I think you're looking at a guy who's going to hit a handful three or five home run.
Speaker 1: Because power has not been translated at all coming from from the KBO.
Speaker 2: No. But again, you're looking at a guy who's lowest OBP in the past four years is three seventy two. He hasn't had a batting average under three hundreds since twenty twenty, so he can't hit. His contact skills are good. He's stolen as many as forty six bases four years ago. Last year he stole thirty, got cut six times, score ninety runs.
Speaker 1: So if Mookie Betts plays short, Gavin Lux play second, you're saying that Heisan Kim is an elite second baseman. Offensively, sounds like he's a better hitter at least, maybe Lux has got more power. Isn't Kim gonna play second?
Speaker 2: Yes? I would. Again, if BET's bets goes to short, Kim could very easily slide in where Lux is at second. Actually, I think Kim could slide into shortstop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they said that evan't They said that Bets is playing shortstop.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, who knows. The Dodgers could still sign three more shortstops. Who knows. They got the kid from Miami there still too. So I definitely defensively, Kim's an upgrade at second base over whoever they put there. Okay' he's that good. And you know what I mean, I'm probably hitting the nine hole if he plays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's not hitting lead off. No.
Speaker 2: No, I think shoey Otani is relatively safe and goes to bed for each and every night knowing that. But again, hey, if you're looking for power, ain't gonna be there. If you're looking for speed, he can provide it along with a decent hit tool. And it's all about what happens with second and shortstop. Uh in l A. And we have no idea at this point in time it is going to eventually shake down. I don't believe Gavin Lux is the answer though, and I think signing this guy basically reinforces that.
Speaker 1: So I have a couple of shares at least one year and Gavin Lux in the Dynasty League, and I tell you to him, I'm a little worried that Gavin Lux is either going to get moved or he's going to be a part time player, because I mean, he did not have a strong season last year, was on top prospect, he missed an entire year when he was hurt, and he just didn't put it together last year, and that was his chance. And the Dodgers are too good. I mean, they're not going to sit on their laurels and wait for a guy to produce. They're going to find somebody else. I go ask Josh, Josh Outman, go ask Ken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, and hey, this signing basically says, hey, if you're not going to get it done, we're going to get somebody who we believe can, maybe in a different fashion, maybe providing different overall numbers. But yeah, you take a look at I had Kim Strake Oats walks. He struck out sixty two times last year, walked forty seven the year before, seventy seven and fifty seven, eighty three and forty seven. Yeah, he knows how to find his way to first base, yep, and and hit for high average at the same time. So I think there's something there in your draft hold. I'd probably look at him after thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I might as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because I really think if the Dodge, the Dodgers are are showing an incredible urgency to want to win now and win more. And they I know they don't have big money tied up in Kim, but they're they're doing everything to win it, not just next year but into twenty six and into twenty seven, and why not. That's they're They're there to win it. That's what everybody should be. There.
Speaker 1: Who I feel bad for is Dalton Rushing. I mean, yes, guy is about ready. If not he is ready, there's absolutely no room for him.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah. And again I think that's something when you look at teams like the Dodgers and the Yankees, there should be a I don't care how good the prospect is, barring rookie sazaki, you know, there's no no room at the end, right get there, they'll go and they'll get players. So it doesn't doesn't matter how good Dalton Rushing is does it unless he is elite, they'll go. They'll find somebody, right.
Speaker 1: It's it's unfortunate with these really good teams. You got to be elite and then when you when you get the call. It's unfortunate him. You got to hit the ground running. There is no adjustment period. You gotta go to for four the first night and and keep it up. I mean, it's just the way it is. It's unfair, but it's it's true.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, look at pay Payos.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, he was good the first month and then started the struggle and he's so so deeply buried. Yeah, it's there's no shot. And the same as with Outman. Outman has split problems and he's hoping for a trade. Payas is hoping for a trade. I bet you a Dalton Russians called his representative and saying, hey, get me out of here. I mean that they're these guys are really stuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are. And you're same with the Yankee system, right, not to the same extent right now as the Dodgers, but it is the same principle, right it is.
Speaker 1: It is, Timmy, let's take a break and then let's talk about your catchers.
Speaker 2: Sounds good.
Speaker 1: And so nothing's nothing's cooking on my draft here. I'm six or seven and slots away from picking.
Speaker 2: So speaking of catchers, I did remove one from the list with the Kim signing.
Speaker 1: Who is that Diego cart Oh, that's right, we didn't talk about That's right. I had him in the notes as well. He got DFA, which is rough, which means any he's taken off the forty man. That's what that means. And any team can now sign him to a major league deal if they want, probably not, but a minor league deal. It is truly remarkable how far he has fallen.
Speaker 2: Well, patience is a virtue. The Dodgers don't have much of it right now, do they. Hey, Carte is We've discussed him numerous times, and he's a product of his own making right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just yeah, he came in overweight that one year. And I mean from everything I hear from the Dodgers, Dodgers directly, they really like the kid, you know, but he just didn't perform and others passed them, and you know, they need it room.
Speaker 2: And yeah, he's sick and he's looking up at when he's looking up at rushing. Yeah, that's not a good sign, is it. No?
Speaker 1: And it's just it's I you know, I'm sure the Dodgers would have loved to have kept him. I hope somebody else signs them. There's a ten day waiting period. But if he re signs with the Dodgers, it's not it's not good. I mean, if you got him in the Dynasty League, good luck. I mean, it's probably not the guy to hold on to.
Speaker 2: Well, no, and let's face it, we know what the Dodgers' plans are or the catcher for next year. They brought in Austin Barnes, thirty five year old Austin Barnes to be their back up to Will Smith. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, also Barnes, he's always been there unless he moved. I mean he's he's a long term yet Dodger guy, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess sorry that. Yeah, they still have barn City. They they picked up an option or something. They kept Barnes for next year, so we know what their plans are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Will Smith is still elite, he's still not that old and he's signed. And you know, I'm Dalton rushing words he play where is Diego Cartie? I mean, it's it's tough. It is really really tough if you're you're in the Dodgers farm system at the moment, Timmy, let us talk about your catchers. Okay. One of the pieces of feedback I gave Tim, I don't know if you've received that yet, And Tim kind of gave this opening paragraph, which is well written and makes a lot of sense, like you can go here, you can go there. What are you doing? How are you handling catching?
Speaker 2: Uh? I'm looking at the Midgiar, I'm okay. I probably will not have rostered any of the top eight or so catchers. I am looking at the Austin Wells Kybird gueez uh, Gabriel mar Marino. I haven't Herrera might take a chance on bow Naylor's sitting sitting down after twenty, I'm I'm not going to be. I'm gonna be.
Speaker 1: That's a little later than mid tier, though.
Speaker 2: Well mid mid mid tier for me is after after. I would say about pick eight, Francisco Alvarez is going at one fifty one, which is your tenth round. The odds of me owning anybody above that are probably relatively slim, unless I'm in a keeper situation. I got somebody.
Speaker 1: Salvarez is an eleventh round pick. That's where you gotta grab the eleventh round, So that's that's where you're looking. Tenth round, get them, jump the line around and grab.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm looking at Alvarez, l angel Leers, Real Muto. I like the price on Real Muto. Uh, Tyler Stevenson. That's sort of your top seven or eight are all going in, But until you get to o'hapi in round age, you're looking at around seven six and up. I'm going to be focusing on high end bess, high end starting pitching, maybe with a closer in there. In the first seven rounds or so. I get the value, but I just I think I can do better overall by by looking at what I'm calling the mid tier, which is Alvarez to about pick eighteen nineteen somewhere in that ring.
Speaker 1: My analysis, Mine analysis proved as well your point. I think we've been saying for a long time that catching is getting deeper. It is, and I think we're seeing the fruits of that now. And Austin Wells, you know, third and Rookie of the year, fine guy, Tyler Stevenson. How many home runs did Ryan Jeffers have? And those are those are guys that you can get in the fourteenth fifteen, sixteenth round. I just think there's value there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I in the first I did. I think I got Wells in the eighteenth or nineteenth round something like that. Yeah, he he just kept following, Nobody kept taking him, so finally I took about me sit there forever. You know what I mean. It's uh yeah, So I get the value of having the consistency of a will Smith or the upside of Yan Yourdiz or Adley Rechman, or the overall great numbers from William Contreras. But I think the difference between who I take other than a catcher and the catcher I take later on I think is going to prove to be more valuable than William William Contreras and a twelve thirteenth round. Uh, whatever's on the board, yep.
Speaker 1: And William Contreras is very good. He's your number one guy. He is the ADPs. His ADP is twenty seven to twenty three, is very very good. He's in the elite of the elite. How hardy hits the ball, exit velocities, all that kind of stuff, So he deserves that number one ranking.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I basically, in my tears, William Contreras, I have him right now as the only elite catcher. You know, what really sean to me wasn't so much the home runs. Sorry, every ized bad. That all speaks for itself. But he scored ninety nine runs, which is twenty two more than the next closest to his runner up twenty two runs scored. That's a lot of runs scored.
Speaker 1: Yeah, coming from the catching position is amazing. But in my draft him, he went in the second round, the eighth pick. I mean he went twenty third.
Speaker 2: That's that's yeah, Yeah, I get it. That's not going to be the way I play the game.
Speaker 1: I mean, no, he went in front of Bryce Harper, in front of you know, to tell Martay, I struggle with that.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, if I was going to take Controller in round two, I'd be doubling down and taking Adley or Yan your Diaz or Celpras or cal Riley. I'd want will Smith. I wouldn't be going just William Contreras. I'd be over interesting at that position. That's that's the way I would play it. If I was playing that game, I would want to have two of the top seven eight catchers yea and hit in that direction. If I'm going to look at Contreras, what's the point of taking Contreras and then doubling doubling down in round twenty four with Joey Burt. It's part of self defeating, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But the theory is it goes back to ron Chandler and his scarcity resource or theory that catching is such a scarce resource that you need to get a high end one, and that William Trais is so much better than you know, the number twentieth catcher off the board, that that's why you go there. But I'm not sure I agree with the theory. I'm not sure it's true anymore with catchers. I guess that's my point.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, we've come a long way from the days of Oh Orga Pisada and who is the big guy from the Mets Hall of Famer Dodgers guy. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, We've come a long way from having two three catchers and twenty three let's fill in the blanks because it doesn't matter catchers. Now, we we have catchers into the late teens that produce decent numbers, and even five years ago, we didn't have that, did we. No.
Speaker 1: I mean it's still weighing pictures. I mean, he's still going to get five hundred bats or you know, it's not going to be it's going to get six hundred and fifty or something like that that you know, you get some of these, you know, like who I picked Durant? Jared Durant, is you know, going to bat lead off and just rack up at bats for you and stole a base opportunity, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, coming in at number two, you now you've got them flipped. You got Adlie Rutchman in front of Yon your Diaz and goes Yon your Diaz than Natalie Rutchman. What are you thinking with two and three? Here?
Speaker 2: H retch fand really had himself a terrible second half, bad like that. Yeah, it was ugly. I think you only had three home runs in the second half. First half, he was looking like the best offensive catcher in the game. And I don't see a repeat there. And as much as I like the potential from Diaz, I don't think. I don't think Diaz is a thirty one hundred bat and I think Adli Ruchmand still could be. So that's that's why I have him flipped.
Speaker 1: I mean, Yon, your Diaz chases everything. I mean, how many walks did he have last year?
Speaker 2: Wasn't very many, It wasn't an It wasn't. I have some concerns with Diez, but I think a floor of twenty eighty is a solid enough floor when you take into consideration his youth versus the guy that I have at number four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jan Your Diaz walk three point nine percent of the time, which was an improvement from two point nine percent of the time in twenty twenty. This guy's a free.
Speaker 2: Swinger, Yeah, yeah, he is. I just think Adle is a better all around player and pay my selection as him being my number two catcher just reflects that.
Speaker 1: Then you go Salivard or Peress. Sal Perez Cayl Riley finishes out the top five, which is chalk with how they're going in the NFC. Anything to say about those two.
Speaker 2: Well, Salperez last time he had less than twenty homers was twenty fourteen. That's a long time ago. In a full season cal Rally, he's got everything you want except for one thing batting average. But the numbers he produces are such high caliber, like thirty four home he was first home runs with thirty four. Second in RBI it's with one hundred, yeah, third and run score with seventy three. You can live with a two twenty batting average when you're elite in those other categories.
Speaker 1: Up against his peers, Tim Goes, Will Smith and Wilson Contreras, they're flipped in the NFBC, but they're very close. For for slots, we're gonna call that chalk Logan O'hoppi comes in at number eight. Anything to say about those.
Speaker 2: Three, Ah, when you look at the catcher position, Will Smith is about as safe as you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: I believe so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, over the past four years, twenty five, twenty four, nineteen and twenty home runs, the RBIs are amazing. Seventy six, eighty seven, seventy six and seventy five RBIs over the past four years. Safe floor in the sixth seventh round. Yeah, he's got to be your guy. And that's why I moved him up a little, just a notch. I was flipp back and forth as far as where I should put Contraras, and I had him as high as five and as low as right where he is, and they're they're all fine choices.
Speaker 1: And you could argue that Wilson Contreras is gonna be at first base this year, so there might be more at badstly played all the time. But this could be the last year he's a Catri.
Speaker 2: Eligible if the Cardinals are true to their word, Yeah, it will be his last year. And Logan o'happy I love Okay. I think what we learned last year, the important thing was the shoulders to do heal and that torn La laboring the costume cost of most of his rookie season.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think that, as I say in mine ear, I think the best has yet to come. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Logan o'hapi move up this list fairly, dramatically, fairly quickly, and right now there is a there is a gap between Wilson Contreras will Smith at ninety three. Then you were to one sixteen, and that to me is your your second tier. Moving afterwards, you're looking at the Francisco Alvarez down the list pretty well begins another tier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at his Baseball Savant page. That's Logan o hop It's fascinating average ex VELOSSI way up there at seventieth percentile, heart hit rates, seventy ninth percentile. Bat speed though is at the twenty eighth percentile. What he is doing is his launch angle. Sweet spot. He's got so much launch in his swing he's able to control the launch and meet it so that he gets the maximum value out of launch in bat speed, which is pretty It's a truly remarkable feat. So he's got aggressive, got great hand eye coordination, and really great back control. He strikes out too much, doesn't walk enough, but man, guys should be able to hit some home runs based on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I said, I think the best is yet to come. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see o' hobby move into the twenty five to thirty home run range with seventy to eighty RBI's. Part of the problem that I think will limit o' hobby is the surrounding cast, the same problem with say Landelaire's moving down the list of bit Yeah, the Angels aren't the powerhouse, and neither are the a's that will that will limit You know, you take a look where all of the catchers above pretty well are. They got pretty good offenses around them except for Ally maybe Yeah, it's okay, it's okay, it's not a poor offense.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the Angels are not very good.
Speaker 2: So no, the Angels aren't there. Neither are the a's and that will limit RBI opportunities. I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to me, let's take a break and come back, and then we're going to finally get a movement. Tim is finally stepping out with one guy about time. Tim will tell you he doesn't look at the NFC rankings at all because these are his rankings, and when they they align with what the NFC is, it's just they align. There is no there's no contriving going on.
Speaker 2: No, No, I I put I put things together based on my right. They're my rankings.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I even I even told Tim because Tim, Tim and I had the succession last year. I had this brilliant idea that I could take. I could automate seventy percent of Tim's job. Tim, let me let me give you all the all the NFC rankings. Everybody order. Remember I told you this by position, and all you gotta do is like, all you got to do is move them around? And timay is No, I'd rather go through it and put them and not be influenced by Worther Frank and be able to type the names in because then I have a better feel for it as a technologist. I was offended by that as a baseball guy, I'm like, okay, I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, over the course of the year, okay, our season okay ends at the end of September. Okay, I start putting this together in November and December, and there's a gap in there. Okay. And as much as I would like to be delusional and state my memory is such that I can remember what they did last year and all of the inner workings, I can't. So as I go through and I type them and look at all the names individually, it gives me a chance to reference back to what they did and just double check. And it's a it's a lot of work. I agree with you. Your system would I could. I could bang this off in probably ten percent of the time, but I wouldn't feel.
Speaker 1: Comfortable doing it. Rich Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just not who I am, you know what I mean. I'm we gotta look at it, right.
Speaker 1: I'm all about see, I'm all about getting automation and let me come up with algorithms that like figure all the stuff out and then slurp something together and then I'll find tune it and you take it. You do it. Just the opposite. I mean you literally go from from building blocks, let's build this thing up, build it up the way I want it, and then I'll find tune and I I let everything. I let the system tell me how it should be based on algorithms that I've built. It's just a different way to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I go through roster resource and go team by team and manually type out all the names as I'm looking, and.
Speaker 1: I have a type I haven't typed. I haven't typed a player's name in all year, you know.
Speaker 2: I just you saw the word document. Every single name on that was typed in.
Speaker 1: I subscribe. I subscribe to a service that actually puts the players, particularly the Latin players, so they've got all those apostrophes and ascente cues and all that kind of stuffer over there, and it actually filters all that stuff out because then you don't get machinal names if you try to match without without the accent being there. So I've got that built into it as well. So when I type in logan o' hoppy logan o HOPI comes up.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, No, what I do is I rely on my editor to me calls correction.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's impressive. All right to me, the first one that you step out on here in a big way. Actually, as Francisco Alvarez, you're all in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, when I look back to that season is a twenty one year ol when he had twenty five, I am all in. I think Alvarez is going to take the next step this year, and I think we're I think that twenty five home run season is not his best season. I think we're going to see better, better to come, and I'm willing to pay a little bit of a premium for Elvis. I think he's going to have a very good year. I'm a believer.
Speaker 1: I have a tendency to agree with you if you like the power. There's few catchers that I think can provide that level of pop. He's still twenty three. He does average ex velocity and Howard rates aren't huge, bat speed is above average. He's a better catcher than people gave him credit coming through the minor leagues. By the way is framing and pop times, those were all really good. So you know, for people who thought he'd have to move to first base, that's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his defense was never heralded. It was so bad that generated. Yeah, and I agree with you. I think he's better than what was anticipated.
Speaker 1: What is a little curious, and I think maybe we're there's some value here is in two thousand if you look at the date in twenty twenty three, he hit the ball a lot harder, and as a twenty two and a twenty three year old, you don't generally see things go down. They usually go up. So I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of injury that was providing this lack of exit velocity. Because twenty twenty three he looked like he was a power hitter. Last year he did not, and it showed in his eleven home runs.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, agreed.
Speaker 1: So going back to Thames thought, there's probably more power in the bat than what he's showing. Shaye Langlears finishes up the top ten. As anything else you want to say about Langlears.
Speaker 2: The only thing that I'd like to do is provide a little bit of food for thought. He had twenty nine homers and drove in eighty runs last year. He also struggled with a two twenty four batting average. If you want to draft Cowl rally, why don't you wait three rounds and up shade Languelars because you're getting pretty much the same player. Just some food for thought.
Speaker 1: I agree with you, I mean the you still put Oakland. I how are we characterizing the athletics because the way it isn't fangraphs. They just have athletics. They have at H.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hate a t H. I haven't decided yet whether I want to go O A C or S A C O A K sorry or s A C.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think it's O A K O A K anymore. I think that's definitely gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go s A C. Now if that doesn't matter, what's what.
Speaker 1: Is the I got that? I thank you, Tom. Let's see I deserve Let's say we're so an FBC still says O A K. They still got Oakland. So so they're they're more established than we are, So stick with Oakland. Oak I think you're stepping out too much. If you go SAC, people go what so. But it'll be interesting to see what they what everybody eventually goes. I guess we're waiting on MLB to tell us what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it could be could be a while. But now I've got Langlers is pretty well talked too, but I think it's.
Speaker 1: I think that's a brilliant observation Tim makes. If you like cal Riley, wait forty picks and take Shane lang Lears because they're very similar.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The only difference I think is is the maybe the supporting cast. But you look at the home run RBI numbers batting average, Yeah, it's ones of me. The other's a mini me, but are very close ones.
Speaker 1: I yep uh number eleven through fifteen, J T. Lilmuto, Tyler Stevenson, Austin Wells, Ryan Jeffers up for slots, and then Cabert Ruiz. You like Ryan Jeffers in that group the most? Tell us why?
Speaker 2: I have no idea because I didn't think I really liked him all that much. I think the problem with Jeffers is a lot of people take a look at the twenty twenty three batting average at two seventy six. I think he posted like a three sixty babbit that year. The two twenty six last year, again, the babbot was incredibly low. I think somewhere in between is a likely destination. Ah, I like I like Jeffers for the homer and RBI production over for say Luiz Moreno Sean Murphy. But there, I'm it's not a lot to pick and choose. They're all very close in the in this range.
Speaker 1: But this is this is the area that you're fishing in. Romoltos Wells Jeffers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm finding despite the fact that i'm i'm I match up with Wells. I granted I a small sample size. After I was in there was no love for Wells at all, Okay, so I ended up getting a great bargain. I thought, I'm, you know, towards the eighteenth nineteenth I'd give I'd watch him very very closely. I like Austin Wells. I think he had a fine rookie season. He's young enough we could see more, and he plays on a team that's gonna have him. There's gonna be a lot of guys on base ahead of him, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The data looks okay. The nothing really stands out. I mean, does walk a lot, strikeout, mid pack power, midpack, no speed, there's nothing that that highlights that made this guy's gonna be an All Star, And there's nothing that says he's a bus He's kind of sitting in the middle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, perfect mid round choice as much the same as you know you look at Yeah, you look at caber Ruiz. He's young, show he's only what twenty five, twenty six. I think there's a I think there's a better season than what we've saw movie forward. The one that concerns me probably the most from this group is JT. Real Muto and the potential for overpaying for him. I think the decline has commenced, and I, hey, there could be another twenty twenty three in the tank, but I ain't going to bet on it and pay forward. So if you're looking purely at name recognition, that could be a mistake. With real Muto.
Speaker 1: I would agree that guys like this who go earlier than they should based on name recognition, but if he starts the fall, I would be interested.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Sixteen through twenty is Gabriel Marino, a guy that you don't like at all, and he's somewhat chalk as Sean Murphy. So we'll go back to him in a minute. Jonah him up five slots, Ivan Herrera, Connor Wong who you're down three on which I totally get you. A terrible two thirds of the season a great April and May. But it's just what it was, just four point thirty babbit driven or something crazy like that. Tell me about Gabriel Marino, Well.
Speaker 2: I love the hit two, but is it ever going? Is the power ever going to catch up to it? That would be my concern. And when you look at the supporting cast around him as far as catchers, ye know, Jeffers is a twenty home run guy. I think Ruiz can be a twenty home run guy. Murphy's already hit twenty. I'm him. You're looking at you know, fifteen Ivan Herrera. You can you can spec based pick based on that twenty twenty three season at Triple A Men Memphis. Now he's got the job. I just have trouble with Marino because I don't know if he's ever going to be more than ten to twelve home runs.
Speaker 1: If you look at the data, because I researched extensively, Gable, Marina Flanner hit that guy hit. There's no question. Chase rates with rates, strike ball, grace are all upper tier. He hits the ball pretty hard, he has no leverage in a swing. He's Mical Garcia all over again. I mean, it's a guy that had a average exa Velossie of ninety miles an hour, which is that's that's a leap hit over ninety's that's what you want, not a leap. It's definitely above average. But he's got a launch angle last year of eight point eight degrees, which was double what it was in twenty twenty three. He needs to add a little bit more leverage to that swing. To me, I think then the power happens. But it's twenty four years old. It would seem like it's a good setup. Whether it happens or not, who knows.
Speaker 2: And it's not that I'm down on him, it's there are other catchers. Yeah, as important as the batting average category he is, you know, home runs an RBI's count two and I just haven't seen enough you get to, you know, from a power part to move him up. You know, hey, if he if he hits twenty home runs this year, he could be a top ten catcher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah, it's his hit tool would suggest that. But yeah, I agree. I mean we can always tucking theory, but until the guys actually do it, I mean, it's still just that theory. Sean Murphy, you've been down on him for quite a while and think you he's going to lose playing time to your number. Oh forgot, where did you put Carter Jensen yet? Drake Baldwin, that's right, Drake Baldwin.
Speaker 2: He should be in the thirties. Thirties somewhere, Yeah, thirty five? Okay, Yeah, my narrative sums up my thoughts to a tea. The sound that you that you're hearing is Drake Baldwin pulling into the parking lot.
Speaker 1: Wow. So Drake Baldwin does not have a driver. That's what you're saying. He's not He's not special enough to have a driver. That's very true. I think I agree with it, and I think Sean Murphy it's it's time to step it up because what he did last season was not good.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't, and I don't I don't believe he's going to I think Drake Baldwin could be the number one catcher in Atlanta heading into twenty twenty six, if not sooner.
Speaker 1: Sounds like he should be one of my catchers. Then that I that I grab So, so let's see Sean. Yeah, let's see Sean Murphy. What am I looking at here? It's good behind the plate. Yeah, walks a lot, good bad speed. Why isn't he why is he producing tend home runs last season? Come on, what's what's up with that? I don't know. Yeah, it's not obvious what's going on.
Speaker 2: But okay, yeah, what is obvious is that the NFBC. For me, we're pretty much in agreement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, for sure. Slid Coming to number twenty one is let's take a break here. Just yeah, let's take a quick break and we're gonna do the next ten and then we'll start to wrap it up. Okay, sounds good. Number twenty one is Bow Nailor, then Patrick Bailey, then Hunter Goodman, Joey Bart, Danny Janssen, Lewis Compensano, who broke my heart last year, Corey Lee. Tim loves himself from Corey Lee, so to ask him about that? Many Indie Rodriguez coming in at twenty eight, Travis Darnault and Alejandra Kirk. Tim hates Alejandra Kirk and I get it. It's down nine from where he's going in the NFBC. Let's where do we start here? Joey Bart, you're not a believer.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm not. He strikes out too much. Yeah. Yeah, he's going to hit twenty home runs if he plays as the number one catcher. But he's struck out seventy three times in two hundred and fifty three at bats. Yeah. Last year he posted a two sixty five batting average. I'll take the under on that two sixty five. Heading into twenty twenty five, I think we could see Mendoza lign type batting average there.
Speaker 1: You could. It's actually good to see that he might have a career though, because yes it is. Yeah, but yeah, I mean there's power there, but the batting average, I'm not sure bow Nailor I was dead wrong on him. I mean he just when he got to the major leagues that the game was too fast for him. Tommy and the speed disappeared. The athleticism has gone gone away. I don't know. Maybe that now Josh Naylor is no longer in Cleveland, maybe bow Naylor will explode. I don't know what are your thinking? What's your thinking here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much the same as yours. I think what we have is a situation where twenty twenty five could prove to be a defining year for Naylor. I think he's still young enough that we can potentially see what we thought we would. But it's got to be. It's got to be this year. It's time. Who's either got to step it up or he's going to be you know that catcher you grab in twenty team leagues as your number two Austin Hedges Like.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, that's like as particularly defensively. Let's see. Uh he's with the Guardians. Who's who's chomping at the bit there for the Guardians? Who's the number two catcher Austin Hedges?
Speaker 2: See I thought they did something with Hedges.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Austin Hedges hit one fifty two last year. That was only one hundred and forty six played appearances. But he's he is a definition of a second catcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the old school defensive catcher. Yes, that's awesome. That's who Austin had you.
Speaker 1: Some bow nail or. They've given the job the bow nailer. It's yours. Make it happen. That's what they've said to him.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is what they have said. And he's got to take the bull by the horns and get her done.
Speaker 1: You heard it from the great Tim McCloud. Get her done, Get her done compensan and you like him a little bit more than the NFBC. What's see what timbro compissant? A second half struggles resulted in the motion. Yes he did, Yes, but he enters twenty twenty five. Is the number one catcher for the Padres as a late number two pick. The potential to perform his late round draft slot is intriguing. Why he stuck the second half?
Speaker 2: Yes, but is his career going to be defined by the first half or the second half? How much potential is there? What could we see with Cap and Santa? Uh? Yeah? I Hey, obviously the Podrey still believe because they didn't go out and get anybody. Okay, he's going to get the offer tunity And if you look at Campnsana's overall numbers last year, okay, they're not that bad considering in the second half he basically when he did show up, maybe it wasn't good. Wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Wasn't good? He makes great contact. You know where he's bad. Look at his defensive skills behind the plate, six percentile on blocks above average, second percent tient, framing pop times thirty eight percentime. He's a terrible defensive catcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's twenty six last year, eight homers and forty rbpis okay, well, and that's considering he didn't play basically from the beginning of augusta on and he was in the minors the second week of September.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm just intrigued by the fact that I think you could have a yeah, twelve home run, fifty to fifty five RBI catcher as a number two that works. I'm not ready to give up the ghosts yet. On Luis Caffasana.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, doesn't hit the ball all that hard, but it could be ten. I mean, two hundred and seventy seven at bats with eight home runs give them another eighty. You should be able to hit twelve something like that. Ten to twelve. That's about what the data suggest.
Speaker 2: Which could put him up in the Connor Wong, bow Naylor, Patrick Bailey and that group of catchers.
Speaker 1: Right, he has expected batting averages two forty two, so there's some there's fifteen points higher than what his regular what his traditional batting average was. But yeah, okay, that's Lewis compack.
Speaker 2: Hunter Goodman intrigues me.
Speaker 1: Where's Hunter Goodman? Did did I mention.
Speaker 2: Him a couple of spots.
Speaker 1: Oh, there he is, Yeah, there's Hunter Colorado.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Hey, he's going to swing and miss a ton, but when he hits it, it goes a long way. You want to toss a dart at twenty five home runs? If they toss it in his direction, I think he can do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to look at one of the things I was looking. I put the last year's ADP, not rank I should have put I guess I should have put rank, but I put ADP. Do I like ADP? Or should we have ranked there? What would you rather want to know? Where they ranked? Where they went in drafts? Your rank?
Speaker 2: H I like the format as it is.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the guys that really have popped up is on your yan your dias up fifty splots. Logan of Hoppy wasn't because he was hurt last year, so he wasn't even ranked. Shane Shane lang Lears is up one hundred and twenty slots. JT No, Shane lang Lears is down one hundred and twenty size. I'm sorry he he fell huge last year. Huh you see that? I'm sorry, So I'm sorry he's up He's one twenty three this year. Last year was two sixty three. This year Jasamozo was was one thirty two last year seventy three. So he's definitely dropped. Yeah, so interesting to see where some of these guys went last year. All right, let's let's just bop around, Okay. No love for Alejandra Kirk. I get that. Anybody from thirty one through fifty that you want to bring to our attention, maybe Carter Jensen.
Speaker 2: Carter Jensen would be one, Drake Baldwin would be another, Augustin Ramirez would be another, and Kyle Teal all the kids, there's some kids in there. Yeah, Adulton rushing, Uh, I should have dropped him. I should have dropped him further than they did.
Speaker 1: It's tough to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not a big fan of gl Amya either in Chicago with the Cubs. But again, I think it's the kids. Teal is close, Ramirez is close in Miami, Baldwin is close. Moving further down. Carter Jensen, I think I have him at at fifty. I don't think he's.
Speaker 1: As my guy is. Moys's Ballastero's That's who I'm very intrigued about coming into this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I moved him down a little bit. I had him in my first goal round. I actually had him up in the thirties. But with what I'm seeing coming out of Chicago and the Cubs, I don't know, you know, Originally I was looking at Miguel Amaya right as being the catcher or but why did they bring in Carson Kelly. Maybe I'm overthinking this one, but bringing in Carson Kelly on a short term deal to me that maybe they're not as high on not that they're not as high, they just want to give him another year in the minors. So that's why I moved out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's fair because he is very, very young, but he ate it up the Triple A last season and was one of the best performers in all of the minor leagues last year. So played in the Fall League.
Speaker 2: Didn't do great.
Speaker 1: I didn't think he did all that great, but I mean he looked good.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm sorry, Yeah he looked good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but you know, I think maybe he was a little tired. But Carson Kelly is your back up to mgl Amaya. If you don't believe in migl Amaya. Is there much of a distance between Carson, Kelly and the Miglamya.
Speaker 2: Probably not except for the opportunity factor. They didn't bring him in. They're not, They're they're paying him something to be there, right, So that pushes I think bias Tero's down a little bit, which is basically the way I think I have them ranked, Yeah, thirty six and Kelly at forty four and Bias Stereos at forty eight.
Speaker 1: David Fry was very good last season, but as you report, he's not expected till mid mid season Tommy John surgery. That's that's really disappointing because I think it would have gone a lot higher if not.
Speaker 2: I think so as well. And I think that's you know, the NFBC folk have him at thirty four, Well, you're only going to get half a season. I moved him to forty seven. But again, if you if you have an IL, which the NFBC doesn't, if you have an IL in your league, gay move Fry up a little bit. Hit him up in your mind, as you know, you can move them to your IL and away you go right sit on him for sitting on him for a few months.
Speaker 1: Let's talk pirates. We talked about Joey bart a little bit sitting behind Joey bart Is, Jason Delay and then coming back as Indian Rodriguez and then Henry Davis. First of all, first question is is Henry Davis having career in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I really don't know, but I'm not going to pay to find out.
Speaker 1: Does Indy Rodriguez spend considerable time in Pittsburgh this year?
Speaker 2: I believe so? Yes, so I who really liked what Rodriguez did in you know, his age twenty two and twenty three seasons. Okay, he's supposedly going to be healthy. I could see very quickly Indy Rodriguez being the number one catcher in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: Enjoyed Bart's demoted or Jason Delay is what do you think happens there?
Speaker 2: I think I think a job share between Rodriguez and Barton. Eventually Bart's free swinging high strikeout ways. Then you're looking at the other two guys moving into a backup situation to Andy Rodrigue's a lot of moving parts and a lot of will depend on how Indy Rodriguez plays this spring, but I think that's one possible scenario that could they could.
Speaker 1: You know, he's coming back from Tommy John. So I believe it's Davy John, right, So, but Henry Davis is the one that's that's a little disconcerting. I mean, if you're a Dynas league ownered half Henry Davis, I mean, he's he's getting buried on this step chart again, buried, not not with Will Smith in front of him, but still buried.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, that's that's I I know where to brag about some of the trades we've made, but I treated Henry Davis straight up for Brent ran Doyle. I'm rather happy with that deal.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well that's really good. Good for you.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I got lucky at the right time.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, that's that's what it's all about. Tell me sake a final break, come back, and let's wrap up catcher.
Speaker 2: Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 1: All right, Tim, I got the hard questions now, Okay, which player not in the top ten has a chance to emerge there? This? Uh this after the after the season. Oh, don't give me number eleven.
Speaker 2: No, I no, I'm not. I'm not gonna do that. I'm I'm gonna I'm gonna do something a little a little bolder.
Speaker 1: I'm twelve.
Speaker 2: No, I'm hell, you know me so well, don't you. I'm gonna go with Austin Walls.
Speaker 1: Wow. Really yeah?
Speaker 2: I think I think if he can get the home run totals up into the twenty range, I could see him hitting seventy seventy five, are we? I like Austin Walls a lot. I think he could make a significant move up this year. I think this will be the year that he does it.
Speaker 1: If he does, oh that's that's impressive. Next question for you is which top ten player will not be there next season?
Speaker 2: Okay, now this is where you get the tim you expected. I'm gonna go with Wilson Conturers.
Speaker 1: Okay, give me another one.
Speaker 2: And I got the answer I expected.
Speaker 1: Can be a surprising one.
Speaker 2: A surprising one, cal rally.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: What happens if he bats one ninety and his home runs fall off to twenty you know, twenty home run sixty RBIs that gets some other the top ten in a hurry, doesn't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, one year it's going to be sal Perez. I don't know if it's twenty twenty five, but one year it's going to be sal Perez. It's gonna the time is going to catch up to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got what ten consecutive seasons twenty or more home runs. Yeah, at some point in time it's it's all going to it's all going to come crashing. But I think he's got another twenty low twenty, mid load to mid twenty home home runs eighty to one hundred or hey, Elson, you got that Bobby Whit guy in front of end the order, doesn't it?
Speaker 1: It sure does. But I mean he turns twenty thirty five in May.
Speaker 2: Yep, Catcher, I'm gonna Catcher's age better than second basement. There's ateresting question.
Speaker 1: I don't know. They probably don't. Salperez might be an exception.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and again, Salperez, I think will start uh seeing more and more time despite his defensive pros. I think he'll see more time at first base moving forward, which I think bodes well for Jensen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it doesn't vode well for Vimp is a pretty good base so it's gonna be interesting to how they square that square that round peg. Okay, give me a couple of sleepers. I think he already did, but why don't you reiterate them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of sleepers when you when you start looking at round fourteen to sixteen, I got a man crush on caber Ruiz I have for a long time. I'm not ready to give it up. Ruiz would be one that I think could outperform his current two O seven adp Ivan Herrera is very very interesting. Okay, moving into the full time role in Saint Louis. But again, if I'm looking at focusing on the catchers and the big upside, there are so many kids chomping at the bit. Pick one, you know, Baldwin. Yeah, I'd say rushing, but in la Hey, rushing gets traded. Yeah, Augustin Ramirez, Kyle Teel, Okay, go down, Biasteros Okay, Hey, Sam Vassello Okay, he's sitting there at fifty two right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now you're just named naming names. I want to give me your top two.
Speaker 2: Guys, Cabert Ruiz and Drake Baldwin.
Speaker 1: Okay, you heard it from the great Tim McCloud.
Speaker 2: I saved it to everybody, everybody else.
Speaker 1: And and my thirty first sleeper is.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm here for, Tommy. I am the host, that's the hostess with the most is So yes, yes, are you avoiding drafting anybody?
Speaker 2: Yes, I when I when I look at this list, there's there's a couple of players that I am definitely definitely avoiding drafting. One would be JG. Real Muto unless by some chance he significantly falls. Okay. Uh, Sean murrh would be another one. I'm not going to touch him with a ten foot pole. And if you see Alejandra Kirk on any of my team's rich call nine one one, I've been kidnapped and I'm held for ransom. Okay, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: It's a shame because, uh, when I did my when I wrote my algorithms, he actually scored pretty high. And I had to look to a couple other things just to say the power is probably not really like I can hit for sure, and he's a good defender.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I watch almost all the Jay's games, okay, and it irritates me to know when to see him turning doubles into singles. It's I it just does you know, I think I think the hit tool is great, but I just think he's so badly out of shape.
Speaker 1: No, I just no, no, no, no air conditioning matters.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The one guy that I mean, maybe this is this is blasphemy. The guy that worries me is Adlie Rutchman. I mean I gonna pick I have to spend a fifth round pick on him. And I don't have an answer as to what happened in the second second half, and that bothers me.
Speaker 2: I I personally think he was tired.
Speaker 1: Well tell me you can get more sleep. I mean I don't know what the answer is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you don't have an answer, right.
Speaker 1: Quite frankly, getting tired is not an answer. I mean that might be an answer, it's not a good answer.
Speaker 2: No, No, I when you look what you did the first half? Okay, what changing the second? I guess we have to you know, maybe that's that's something you can address him one year.
Speaker 1: Okay, put it on me. That takes takes some research. Try to figure out exactly what happened, all right, all right, big Sean, I'll try to figure out what happened.
Speaker 2: But you know, when you go from sixteen fifty nine, two seventy five to three twenty two oh seven, was he hurt? Was?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: I just think he's too talented, you know, Am I gonna project his second half?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think he could be a six forty two ten type. I can't do it. I just can't. I don't know what happened, but I don't think we'll see a repeat of it.
Speaker 1: Well, here here's I'm gonna add something else to it. Okay, Well, the one thing that's always bugged me with his profile, he doesn't hit the ball hard. He never has. He's got thirteenth percentile on batspeed, twenty ninth percent on average excevellasi just like I forgot that we were talking about. Uh, it's got this incredible square op ate.
Speaker 2: That just here.
Speaker 1: Oh HOPI gets this. He's the ability to kind of control the bat and make it happen and give me the guy like William Contrere's that just hits the ball really hard. That to me is sustainable power that you can project that power. The guy that's getting it because he's got a really good swing and really good eye hand coordination. That gets off a little bit, you might have you might have the answer why his second half went went south like it did. That's what bothers me about Adlie Rutchman.
Speaker 2: And it's fair. I don't have any problems with those concerns. I just think there's too much talent there to repeat that second half and maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, the talent is there because you see it. You see it in a square up rate eighty seven percentile means that he's he can hit the ball and get the maximum leverage out of the batsman that he is. That is definitely skill and talent. Is it repeatable long term? That's what we don't know. We and Contrari's should be able to run into twenty to twenty five home runs with his eyes closed. He's got that much power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and his spot in the batting order and the supporting cast guarantee him the RBI's run scored. Yeah, the whole package falls into place very nicely, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: And Rutchman is a little bit it's more of a it's almost like a power pitch versus a finesse pitcher. William Contreras is a power hitter, Aby Richman is a finesse player. I mean he's using all kinds of other skills as opposed to just mustling through stuff. And I don't know, got me, it's gonna be a little worried there.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'm sure if you looked at the results coming out of Baltimore for him, and let's let's let's throw a top ten pick in there with him. The second half was not good the gun or was it.
Speaker 1: It was not. It was not as good. It was still it is because his first half was ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Baltimore didn't look great in the second half as a team, did they They did not. Anthony Anthony Centander is the one that powered them to They're finished pretty.
Speaker 1: Well, totally. I totally agree with you. But I mean, Gunner Henderson, man, it all looked really, really good. So yeah, so let's take a look at let's take a look at his splits here. Yeah, to eighty six, two seventy three, not bad. It's the power that he lost twenty eight to nine, so the power kind of went around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's huge.
Speaker 1: But he hits the ball really hard. I'm not sure exactly what happened there.
Speaker 2: But uh, I'm believing blaming on the wall and they're fixing it this year, right now.
Speaker 1: That's true. You know again, I talked about me kind of out smarting myself. Sometimes you wonder if the Orioles are out smarting themselves. I mean, they're clearly a smart organization and really know what they're doing. But sometimes you can get too clever.
Speaker 2: Well, they need a picture, Yeah, go get one, Go get one. Yeah, seems rather simple to me. But then again, hey, I'm living in a hundred in the host at minus twenty five today one hundred nowhere, So who's smart.
Speaker 1: That's a fair point. Let's give you a insight on. Tell me what's what's for dinner? Good good, first of all, good show, great stuff on the catch if you got like this, first base I believe is next week and then the other ones will fall after that. But great stuff to me.
Speaker 2: Thanks rich. I had a lot of fun doing it, even though it was long, slow and laborious.
Speaker 1: That's all right, that's all right, all right, tell me what's for dinner? And I gotta get you out here because I'm about to lose power.
Speaker 2: So yes, okay. For dinner tonight, we're having a and it was handcut by the butcher yesterday off of a nice sirloin. The we're having uh, a stir fry with the cauliflower and thinly sliced surloin.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, you're having a vegetable.
Speaker 2: Well, it's in the dish. It doesn't mean.
Speaker 1: Because this is not a cloud.
Speaker 2: I know. I actually I'm not calling you.
Speaker 1: Actually okay, oh broccoli, I thought you cauliflower.
Speaker 2: They're okay broccoli.
Speaker 1: First of all, cauliflower is not green. Cauliflower is white. Wow. Okay, well that sounds great except for the I'm not a big I'm not a big friend of the broccoli. So, uh, not a big friend of the broccoli. But we're having.
Speaker 2: My first week of New Year's resolution or whatever.
Speaker 1: We've been trying to eat healthy this week. I mean we both just just overdid it since Thanksgiving. It's just but uh oh, Timmy said, I have no idea what's for dinner. But last yesterday for lunch, we went up to Wilmington, which is a really cool historic town and we take a lot of tours and stuff up there, and so we usually we went to some friends. We did like an hour and a half tour of an old Antebellum mansion that was fun, and then we went to lunch at this place called the Copper Penny. It's just like a normal sandwich sandwich place, like a bar kind of thing. It was, but it was fun. Yeah, and I'm looking at the menu and of course Lorie's got is eating salads and I saw this something called smoke tomato soup, and I go, well, I don't know what that is, but it sounds great. I can eat it. So I had it, Timmy. I'm telling you, this soup was the best soup I'd ever eaten in my life. It was unbelievable.
Speaker 2: We got We enjoyed a barbecue based it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I had a little bit of a kick to it. It had a little bit of a smoky taste to it. I don't know how they made it, but man, it didn't taste much like tomato soup to me. It just it tasted great. And so we bought some extra bring homes. So that's we're eating it up again tonight. So in fact, I'll be back up in Wilmington tomorrow getting my car's service and I might stop by and get some more soup. I left it that much.
Speaker 2: So it's fascinating when you you're when you're traveling and you and you run into I ran into in Oklahoma, of all places you would think barbecue steak. I ran into an Italian restaurant and I can't remember what the community was. I got marked down somewhere I'm gonna go back there. An Italian restaurant. They make all their own noodles, all her own sauces, absolutely everything in Oklahoma, Okay, And she was probably one of the best Italian meals I've ever had in my life. And I just sort of stumbled into the place. And sometimes these restaurants you stumbled into in your travels. She can find some really really excellent eateries, can't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Far be it from me to correct the great Tim McCleod. But as a resident of New Jersey for the last twenty five maybe thirty years, living with Italians everywhere, they're not noodles. It's pasta. Uh you call it pasta. You do not call it noodles. Or Chinese restaurants have noodles. Italian Italian joints have pasta. Doesn't matter if it looks like a noodle or not exactly. So all of our New York, New Jersey friends I have, I have duly corrected the great to McLeod.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I will I will file a lot away for future reference, especially when I'm in New Jersey, because I got skate.
Speaker 1: If you go to a if you go to an Italian joint, which you could throw a rock at any any corner New Jersey hit an Italian Joe. It's that prevalent. And you go in and ask for can I have some noodles? They're gonna look at you like they're gonna use the f work. That's all I'm gonna say, Get the f out of here. Yeah, what you say, exactly exactly, timmy great stuff. My friend will be back next week and Tim and I hopefully will be recording on Friday, the National League West Prospects, so you get to look forward to that. So timmy great stuff and I'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Sounds good. Be safe, be well, and enjoy that tomato soupa