Speaker 1: Presenting Awes and Weald as the Third Man, the Lives of Harry Lyon the Fabulous Stories of the Immortal Character, originally created in the motion picture of The Third Man with the music by Anton Gallant. Here now is a story of power, politics and international intrigue. I got mixed up in it because I decided, just for a change of pace during an honest living, I got myself a concession in Molinia for Buzzo. Buzzo being, as you probably know, a popular soft drink, and Molinia being, as you probably don't know, a small island republic in the Mediterranean. The concession I went on a crack game. If it just happened the dice were loaded in my favor. But the way things turned out, I'd have been lucky as i'd lost. Stick around. I tell you about it. Orson Welles as Harry Lyme the third man in today's story, the Dead Candidate follow see nice and calm, isn't it You're getting off Millennia sday me too, for didn't.
Speaker 2: Take what I'm drinking Mary, So what about you?
Speaker 3: Buzz This is said that sounds like button.
Speaker 1: That's right, buzzo. Millions of people keep saying it keeps drinking.
Speaker 2: It though, sure I remember, but.
Speaker 1: It's a drink trill for they. So I have a confession for Milia. If I'm getting the butter old Gospels, do it last front for you? Aren't you pretty young to be getting married?
Speaker 2: Listen? How would you like to be called crown?
Speaker 4: You never see you under change a name like that.
Speaker 2: But miss not her lady in Washington told my foortsman and teach have for fifty sents, and you know what she said?
Speaker 3: He said, I'm going to marry a diploma and take.
Speaker 2: A journey across the seat. And that's it's true. Tony. What do you think the glass doing down the bar getting drunk? No, playing said broken with that Greek from.
Speaker 1: The second size is just the answer card shop.
Speaker 2: No, he's just a diplomat. Times were general in Washington to the Millennium and recovery.
Speaker 3: Some day, he says, they're going.
Speaker 2: To let him be the the minium secretary is today?
Speaker 1: When's the wedding? I don't know.
Speaker 5: I guess just the sceans.
Speaker 2: I fall in love with a Rarey is explained tooky. Looks like it's going to be an awfully long engagement.
Speaker 1: Now am I breaking the monotony. I warn you, Astro, you know very pretty everybody to kiss you.
Speaker 5: Very very much.
Speaker 2: That's all right here you're throats with him.
Speaker 6: I always anything.
Speaker 7: You wouldn't care if you are, yes, I'll be running along, don't your I must well, don't you want to know that?
Speaker 5: One I don't know or care? Really is my own occasion for being jealous. Channing, you can't force these things.
Speaker 3: You're not a light at all?
Speaker 1: What god I am?
Speaker 2: But I the ratings. I think it was hard. I could understrain now, and a moon like that and a sling.
Speaker 1: I don't think a balcony is provided on this problem.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't know what to do with it.
Speaker 1: If there was one, What do you do with a balcony?
Speaker 6: Romo, fine, it did nothing. It got over the garden wall, alady.
Speaker 5: For the balcony was too much for him.
Speaker 7: That's the whole purposeful balcony to present the opposite texts to each other with maximum visibility and the minimum availability.
Speaker 5: It's a romantic lascination.
Speaker 6: We prefer reading the fine prints only after a complex de time.
Speaker 3: You know what you are, Watino, You're a poof. You are going on about women in general when just two.
Speaker 2: Minutes ago, your woman in particular was being kissed.
Speaker 7: Oh yes, I forgot to ask you.
Speaker 2: What was that fellow's name? Harry Long?
Speaker 1: Never?
Speaker 6: Did I tell you?
Speaker 2: Listen, Jachimo. I want to talk to you seriously.
Speaker 3: I don't care how Latin you are, just because we don't love each other.
Speaker 2: There's no reason why we have to get married.
Speaker 5: They sleep over.
Speaker 2: I don't want to believe.
Speaker 7: Your best about getting into faults early tomorrow morning.
Speaker 2: I never should have let him go. That was my mistake. Fellow, that fellow line, he's not a fat fellow line. He's Harry Long. And what you mean to tell me you never heard of j Harry Long never. I'm surprised that you, Honestly I am. How long were you in Washington?
Speaker 5: What's that got to do with you?
Speaker 3: You were the diplomatic representatives of your country and you ought to be ashamed of yourself.
Speaker 2: How don't you any idea why Harry Lyme is going to the leading What you don't know? No, I don't to look things over for the president.
Speaker 7: That story the president of Malina.
Speaker 2: No, the president of the United States.
Speaker 1: What he got to do with the president?
Speaker 3: Okay's Harry j Mine got with the president.
Speaker 5: I thought it was Ja.
Speaker 2: That's the same thing. You mean.
Speaker 7: He's one of those presidential advisers.
Speaker 2: The president doesn't make a move without him.
Speaker 3: Of course, he's don't see a tick too much in the paper. He likes to keep behind the scenes.
Speaker 6: But Susie, you're always making up stories.
Speaker 5: I bet this is another one.
Speaker 7: If it's the president, we're sending somebody to Malina, we would have heard about.
Speaker 2: This is an official Oh yes, that's what he always works unofficially in Cagnito.
Speaker 3: This time he's pretending to.
Speaker 6: Be a representative for Buzz, you know, Buzz off with Braso.
Speaker 2: It's a soft dream.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what today.
Speaker 6: If you got down the companion when they're not play the prow, you.
Speaker 7: Can see the purposes, the purpose, what other just for this firecare?
Speaker 6: Well, go and look at him anyway I did.
Speaker 1: Were doing the meeting.
Speaker 2: Well, at least you're being for summing.
Speaker 6: I'm just trying to send a cable the arra rising you. Yeah, you're the wild man, an't.
Speaker 1: You as saying you've been playing a guitar the Indian? Okay, you want to some specials and you've got the.
Speaker 5: Sound of your quick hands on the telegraph.
Speaker 7: Seat, and nations space depends on you. Now you can take this from victation. It sis being told, of course, but then quote costs a little money, and a little money is exactly what my country doesn't have. A millennium Foreign ministry, most different, most pertain line the line first name Harry a Millimia city. My shift tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Am I going to fast for you? Okay?
Speaker 7: Good for your information decline with the American president chief Confidential advice line is first visiting Millennia.
Speaker 2: Obvious stuff.
Speaker 6: Certainly, I need not remind you that our repeated a sense of saying financial aid from Alignia from Washington's being always refused due to American prejudice against what they referred to as quote dictatorships unquote stock. This presidential adviibler line would be looking for every up what you can come off, come up and terrorism in a police state. Did I say that you will not find any such seed?
Speaker 7: Repeat lying, will not find any such pain you're democratically watching?
Speaker 1: Is that all right?
Speaker 7: Send it straight wist That'll be twenty dollars.
Speaker 5: Mistress, my nice yancey will tell you good night, good.
Speaker 3: Morning, good morning, Harry, Bamama's ready to la.
Speaker 2: Have you contented? Thenia before here.
Speaker 1: Looks nice for me. All those banners and flag don't see a holiday.
Speaker 2: Don't you know what's going on about this space?
Speaker 3: Well it's an awful little dictatorship for one thing, Harry, What are you really doing?
Speaker 1: I mean really doing buzz? That's what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Buzz.
Speaker 1: Well, you get keep on saying, but you'll keep on drinking buzzle.
Speaker 2: Not molina.
Speaker 3: They drink a bomb in the it's made out of the rhymes of tangerine.
Speaker 1: Well, the days of Bahamaa are drawing to a clothes that's not noise.
Speaker 2: I think it's completely national anthem. Look, there's a pilot coming out to meet.
Speaker 1: I got an orchestra on the pilot both too. They're really going to town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm afraid I've start him.
Speaker 1: Please take my advice gravely.
Speaker 3: It's the first thing you do when your neque agitiator, if you get him to sign over that buzz open session.
Speaker 1: Now, how do I get to's e that They say that he's coming out to me with all his table.
Speaker 2: That's right, with all his tabin.
Speaker 1: Have you got any money?
Speaker 2: There's three dollars less in my purse one so wonderful.
Speaker 1: You can take me to dinner tonight. Later in the season, when the citizens started buzzing off of Buzzo, I'll take you.
Speaker 2: So we're all having dinner together.
Speaker 1: We're all having the you Juachemo is coming to not only.
Speaker 2: Juachimo, the President, the President's wife.
Speaker 1: It's seven and the president. You mean, it's Dictator Admiral of.
Speaker 2: The who puts Obama and the lease him the same as me.
Speaker 1: That's missus Pucci bamba, missus Dictator. And we're all having dinner at the same table. That's yeah, you're kidding.
Speaker 2: What is the advantage on the back here?
Speaker 3: Take my binat agree with the banner's face.
Speaker 1: Va h h that's funny. You know what it looks like.
Speaker 6: It looked like Viva Harry line.
Speaker 2: That's what it said.
Speaker 1: I'd give you my word. That's how it happened. Why am I doing it all here? I was actually trying to hustle an honest, but yeah, I was going straight and look what I got into.
Speaker 2: It, sous.
Speaker 1: He managed to explain the situation just before the official Breeding Committee got on board. He only meant to impress your boyfriend and here was the whole Marinian Republic around the dictatorship, turning it allowed to impress me. First I was surrounded by numberless ducky based little gentle jingling with medals. And then I was confronted by the fabulous powle Lolita with the regress of both regress so very white shark with a peep. They also breathe eyes and skin like uncolored margitin and.
Speaker 7: In your own life, in the name of a glorious media, my husband, I bid you welcome to the island paradem Malinia.
Speaker 6: Liva, Malia, Lisa.
Speaker 1: On shore, a lot of beat up looking characters without any shoes that's been issued arm roads of paper roses. They threw the roses at me and I was put in an open car with Lolita and all fluent for a triumphal tour of the island. Whatsn't well? As the turns in just a moment, as the third anast.
Speaker 5: And orson welles.
Speaker 1: As the third man continues with today's story, the dead is candidate as a sixth thirty. That afternoon, I will still an honored guest, as the Mallenian state in the bank was scheduled in my honor. We take you now as the presidential palace, where Lolita is sending herself into an evening dress. Admiral, his medals all arranged, is waiting for us. You know the signs of the queen.
Speaker 7: See who that is to the plum. It's what your excellency uncle is fading fast. I expect to hear any more that he has taken wings.
Speaker 1: So but as foreign minista I ever had.
Speaker 5: I gather, I inherit the pose.
Speaker 7: But please don't bother to object, your excellency and my Ancle lizy or as recovered speech long enough to.
Speaker 5: Brief me on the job.
Speaker 7: What do you mean in your The essential for a post in your husband's government is information, and I cannot remember that your unclesy broor whatever minister of information. He was Minister of Culture, which is a title, and chief of secret police, which is a fact. In Millennia's information is politically importing in direct relation to who has it about who? Uncle EZI draw had lots and lots about everybody. A legacy is handing down to me.
Speaker 1: But don't worry all.
Speaker 7: That jab will be as closely gathered as before. I look upon this as a point of family honor, and I look upon it as a form of black man. I suggest we stop bickering from you, Ora and get down to immediate questions of stake, such as such.
Speaker 1: As persuading this hurry line.
Speaker 7: To use his influence in Washington to get up some of that money.
Speaker 5: And how are we going to do right? All?
Speaker 7: That's easy by convincing Lime that Malignia is really a democracy. No, these only demonstrations of my maccip or limes benefits of Putin is.
Speaker 5: Ethical for the musical diusical just said to speak for a little today?
Speaker 1: What about my seeing your rage was dynam.
Speaker 7: Your family, see people, freedom of speech, freedom of worship, short hours, higher pace all the advertisers, and had lunches for the children in school.
Speaker 1: Not surely there was applause.
Speaker 7: We don't even have a school.
Speaker 1: To serve the launches.
Speaker 7: It was just for lines benefits.
Speaker 5: Get his name on a check.
Speaker 2: It's not for his speech, for his lunches.
Speaker 1: The next thing that would be wanting to vote.
Speaker 7: That's just what I was going to suggest, what we must if we were the Shakespeare busy d mind with a presidential campaign, You mean with more than one candidate and ballotsis you know we're trying to look like at the maccracy antry. Well, what to be more plidi to me democratic than a presidential election? That's just killing. Some must agree with Lolita the idea of a presidential election in Malinia issue.
Speaker 1: May I ask why why?
Speaker 7: Because there's only me to vote before you find someone else? Why should we you mean somebody on our side? Somebody says me, for instance, you're not a president.
Speaker 1: Sounds of antism.
Speaker 7: Let's not get our servis in a communist manas is just as necessary to an election.
Speaker 1: It might suggestion we combine the two. And you want me to run against the rest? Where are you going to find one?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I did sea of your Campo Tempo. We only called him.
Speaker 7: A restrual tampo and almost forgotten it was nothing but the milk and.
Speaker 1: Water social democrats.
Speaker 7: I's the real trouble with Temple is he is dead Campo, so the planet before your time, sweetly, Campo was the resident of the Republic before they could is up.
Speaker 2: What did he die of?
Speaker 1: Oh? Some of the boys were chasing him.
Speaker 2: The boy, my.
Speaker 7: Boys, it was selling upgoing in the last days of the Civil Wars, and you know the sea cliff up west of the country club above the Christen camp called Brother sleep Well Temple left with all the people that he fled, escaping justice by leaving the country, which.
Speaker 1: Is after all, more or less what happened. By the way, where's one in.
Speaker 7: The Grand Imperial Hotel in his suit?
Speaker 1: He wanted a hot pass if he guess that the Grand made history.
Speaker 7: While I was in America, excellency, I made quite a survey of election campaign methods, and in many it is, and even in some space you will always make me another drink. Look, I'm sorry to press this point, but I'm not mistaken, am I? In the beliefs that we're taking a real crisis.
Speaker 5: Crisis bankruptcy, not too much water service.
Speaker 6: Now to get back to the American election, I'll take so many nuts.
Speaker 7: So the lata hey that some political machine is talent fire reform past. Yes, well, if each other party gets a bigger boat, there's a venerable tradition of dropping the ballot boxes in the river. But the best tactic is to ensure victory from the outset. And for this purpose the cemetery is there. What's cause the cemetery party works attend to the public radia. They can sell the names on the tombstones and make careful lists, which coming very handy on election day. There's no better way of getting a comfortable majority for the straight partifices. Really, there's nothing more reliable than the dead voter. Now my igrea is even better without boasting.
Speaker 6: I feel that there's a whole mark of trusting all all right, what is it?
Speaker 1: Hy put it simply?
Speaker 7: I thought, but if you can improve your chances in political campaigns by using day, well why not make up to you?
Speaker 1: Be sure? Fine?
Speaker 2: But how do you do it?
Speaker 1: Isn't it obvious I'd be candidate? Naturally? I wasn't present for any of these secret meetings estate, but later I managed to feat it all together in jail. How did I happen to be in jail? We're coming to that just for a minute. Let's review the situation. A millennium dictatorship was busy turning itself into a democracy to put it over on hairry Lyve, who in turn was putting it over on Millennia. The banquet in my armor and his story was a big d in which all the guests had up themselves nightively tanks up on a Bomea. I managed finally to get away for a Taksier and with Duby the driver put it up to a place called lovers Leap.
Speaker 6: Novels leap is what they call it can already, but cambo Leap is the little man.
Speaker 2: Camp first name. The man is going to Randy a lesson they tell us about is my hair?
Speaker 6: The drivers, you don't mean to say he jumps in the y s yeah, Andior Lisa, he did not have any choice, but he couldn't have lived. Oh, we have always told ourselves that it is signor as I've been.
Speaker 7: Both picked him up and someday he comes filing back and deliver Malinia from its pomp.
Speaker 1: The driver andel heard about the election.
Speaker 3: Maybe the driver wasn't it the better?
Speaker 1: That's true? Well, driver, they just announced the election to night. Campo is going to run for president? Too bad or quite too bad? Well, it was said they were running him for president. Yes, then we must certainly be dead.
Speaker 7: Yes, but what happened to say in extute cool said the candidate.
Speaker 2: Of course it is your idea.
Speaker 7: What happened is this social democrat is temple will see an extenior. Of course, how can you see said, just what makes it a good policy. We encourage the parsular notion that Camp is alive, and since he's not, he's a perfect.
Speaker 5: Candidate to run against the admiral.
Speaker 6: But that links sugar plan will be defeated.
Speaker 7: Yes, both in public is notoriously and graceful.
Speaker 1: But listen to the SiO.
Speaker 7: Really so the temple apparently announces that the infirmaty and all days makes it inadvisable for him to return from excience to think so the man.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, from camp or relief, the millennium moon was still going for for us, Harry, Yes.
Speaker 2: Come clean, of course, that's no keep your hand. I want to look at you.
Speaker 1: You have noticed to the driver you're a very nice driver, I'm sure, but I wish you'd go away. You will be needing me to drive you to the host hospital.
Speaker 2: It's true, you're coming out in spot.
Speaker 6: Yes, and just when you see tomorrow morning, what kind of filleniums?
Speaker 1: Three weeks at least, hm, millennium legels. That's what I had to thank for missing the better part of the history making millennium election campaign. However, Susie who came daily to put press through through the bars or the pet cause get getting pretty closely informed.
Speaker 6: Come in, yes, excuse the chess please, but we're offully busy in here. Yes, I'm not at the Minister of South chest I have a drink. Sheef sixt police and the admirals.
Speaker 7: Campaign manager to see you us, Thanks for sea and where this is bazzo? Person is buzzle the static sweeping a barme.
Speaker 1: In the right of the market.
Speaker 2: Now tell me about campus.
Speaker 7: Temple is doing allmost as well, and preason never heard of him. No, besides, the Admiral Campus is the only candidate Freeze.
Speaker 2: There isn't a candidate.
Speaker 5: It's a dream you mean like Basil Well.
Speaker 2: For Preezer was deary and Brazil really if you.
Speaker 7: Asked me, Jesus Line gave me a nine percentage of the buzzer concession and there's no need for competition.
Speaker 1: Competition is your marketing exactly here?
Speaker 5: Let me lead your.
Speaker 7: Campus dying Well, I just wrote them, we love it, fellow country, and you see we thought it. We best let him die officially just from the election is more dramatic.
Speaker 1: That way in the whole lot safe.
Speaker 7: But hello, see if your distance got in quarantine, not anymore.
Speaker 1: I thought out the bars with my nail file. Besides my spots defeating, aren't they Susie a.
Speaker 3: Little Harry, But they've said a lot of the.
Speaker 1: Mind to Takimo. I came here to make a compression.
Speaker 7: Sorry, we haven't got time for that now.
Speaker 1: This election has gone far enough. Or we got instuctions from Washing. No, I don't ever get any constructions from Washington. It's a Susie's idea, Wakino. She just made up one of her little stories.
Speaker 7: I wait a minute, are you trying to tell me you are not the president's right ten man?
Speaker 1: Sorry? Arrest what.
Speaker 2: American?
Speaker 1: Fight it away? En route to the Who's town, my little and thought Friday and I encountered a new visitor to the island, a dassa ambassadorial sort that chunt to the crew cut. Look here are you an American? I thank you, mane, you can get me out of this. My name is Lime.
Speaker 2: Did you say line?
Speaker 1: Yes? Line? Not rhyme? A buzzer? Yes, I'm Jones a friezo.
Speaker 2: But data.
Speaker 1: Give me the newspaper.
Speaker 6: Let's be the newspapers on the hold.
Speaker 4: Why are you not even about the choir?
Speaker 6: So let's keep her head. Yeah, this is what is here's no headline to say, Lord.
Speaker 1: That holds discovered.
Speaker 6: Not the lord there, that's right, all out the cards throws on the bars the thing he goes, He tell us, wait, wait, wait, I can't throw that headline?
Speaker 1: What never mind?
Speaker 7: The newspapers tell the boys about to burn up the ballot boxes.
Speaker 2: Too late, too late?
Speaker 5: Follow me?
Speaker 2: Too late?
Speaker 1: Too late?
Speaker 2: Is matter?
Speaker 1: A piece is composite?
Speaker 7: Yes, but it's just not that.
Speaker 6: If he's a lie, you mean boys be dead?
Speaker 3: After all, he's just hen.
Speaker 7: He's been in America, holy time working for Freezo.
Speaker 2: What's freeze?
Speaker 7: Another one of the subtrees.
Speaker 6: Temple has been working as a bottle.
Speaker 2: By saying, let's trans and works. Well, you know how Freeso is about.
Speaker 7: Buzzo or that this is not a competition between Poto power or yes it is now Frizos is a way to edge Buzzo out of Malignia.
Speaker 2: They shuttered a special.
Speaker 1: Train, a special planes.
Speaker 7: President is a temple.
Speaker 2: Is you into Malignia to night?
Speaker 1: Well you know what that means. It means a special plan for us going up.
Speaker 6: Well, your excellency, we have dared breasly and we have sailed. That's what do you want?
Speaker 1: My name is John who cares joan'srizo.
Speaker 6: Senora, your excellency, gentlemen, I beg him inform you that.
Speaker 5: Malinia is liberated.
Speaker 6: What do you mean liberating?
Speaker 1: You must face the logic of history, Senora. Yes, democracy has come to millennia by courtesy of Freezo carry Lyon returns in just a moment, mm.
Speaker 2: And Verry lies.
Speaker 1: Included in the liberation had to say was one slightly spotted jail bird by the name of the same line. I was also included on the passenger list of the outdooring claims. And and there you have it, the inside dope on the burst of the nations. I'll never go straight again, unto.
Speaker 4: Stas conting and conjecting from school into a fist at a pen, fact and adduced on the