Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are Get.
Speaker 1: Off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are crying or turning off.
Speaker 1: The countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Intermurals, Brother, gold Play Intermurals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee. So we made an executive decision here on Coffee and Company earlier in the week on Monday, that we were going to embrace football season actually being here because week zero is here right tomorrow, there will be football games and we will watch, we will wager, and we will enjoy ourselves. I mean, I can only speak for me, but I know I'm not alone. I know the Company man himself is with me on this. But I have to say, just to be honest, it doesn't feel like it, you know what I mean, Like I'm kind of I'm not having to like psych myself up because to be honest with you, as much as I am happy that we're gonna have football tomorrow there's no games that I really care about. There's some opponents that we can watch that Louisville will in fact play three of their opponents, and the twelve games they play this year are all playing tomorrow, so you gelt somewhat of a look at these opponents. But like, I don't know, it just wanted. I wanted today to feel like here we go. It is in fact here, but I think I've kind of learned throughout that, you know what, I get it like week zero, it kind of isn't really a thing like it is, but it's not. And I tried to just lean in earlier this week and embrace it. But I'm not feeling the vibes.
Speaker 1: John, I gotta say, I am feeling the vibes. But one thing that could really play rub off on me about week zero is if there was a Marquee primetime matchup. And I know you've got the twelve o'clock June game in.
Speaker 2: Iris, respecting George, it's in Florida State.
Speaker 1: Come on talking about the Nevada game at eight pm, Like that game's not gonna I mean, if you want to watch football and there's nothing else on, sure you're gonna pop on SMU versus Nevada, but it would be it would add a little juice to Week zero if they had a top twenty five versus Top twenty five matchup to get things rolling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the ceiling for Week zero if your team is not playing when you have these type of matchups, because Week zero last year, and I guess even the year before was kind of the same as far as the type of games that you get the ceiling for. It meaning like the best, like the best thing is just knowing that you can, in fact turn on a football game tomorrow and it really is a game that counts, you know what I mean, And it's you know, occasionally you'll see you know, for example SMU Nevada. I don't think it gets any any added boost here, but at least it does include a power for team sunt until this year and then yes, as you mentioned, the game in Ireland, of course is a big deal, just because it's rare to see, you know, teams from from from the States travel across the pond to play a game of American football. But I mean, I'm ready for it again. I've already had my bets locked in for quite some time, so there's excitement there. But I felt like if I did what I did on Monday, which is really just lean in, like, you guys are losers if you're not excited, week zero is here and we got real football, and now here I am on Friday, I'm like, yeah, they didn't really work out for me, but hey, John said he's feeling the vibes and I'm hopeful that they will rub off in these next three hours.
Speaker 1: And here's what'll happen to you, Nick. This is what happened to me last year when Notre Dame and Navy kicked off in Ireland. Leading up to it, it just felt like a weird, underwhelming type of matchup.
Speaker 2: It was Navy, writer was an army either most Navy. It doesn't matter, It doesn't matter. You're right, Yes, when.
Speaker 1: Georgia Tech and Florida State play tomorrow, I think that's for you and for other people. If you're watching that game, that's when it'll hit that college football is officially back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll make me in fact what it does. And this is another positive here is I'm trying to find some potential positives for Week zero because it's just awkward and kind of weird if for being honest, but it'll make you even more excited to know that next week your team plays, Yes, right, like that's that's I think where I'm because I know Florida State and Georgia Tech. That'll be the first game you get to watch, and Louisville will play both those teams, and you know I'm gonna be thinka well next week, Louisville's got Austin p and you know that's not a real opponent for being honest here, it's an FCS team and they're not any good. However, you know, I'm sure we'll overreact to everything, the positives, the potential negatives that they're there, and you know it's what it's all about. So welcome in everybody. Happy Friday to you. It is coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's and this is Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us as we always on a Friday. Try to get the weekend started for you. Maybe your weekend has already started, and if that's the case, cheers salute. Hopefully your weekend is off to a good start. If not, maybe your weekend starts while we're on the air. Maybe it starts once we wrap it up, but either way, we're gonna try to carry some good vibes here as we get the weekend started. That's always our goal. I can't guarantee that we've done it every single Friday, but I tell you this, we're gonna try. That's what we do. Day off for us, well, there are days off the Fridays now when it comes to vibe enhancement, that's what we try to do. So stick with us, take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. You can also listen live on the iHeartRadio app. A couple of guests gonna join us today at four o'clock. We'll bring him in. He's doctor Larry Bench. You know the name, it's the name brand around here. Larry Ben's from pro Rehat Physical Therapy. He'll join us around four o'clock when to get his thoughts on obviously the big injury we've been talking about all week, which is and you know Larry obviously for you know, patient safety, prophecy, that kind of stuff. I mean, he can't give us probably every little detail, despite he is somebody that would have it, but Colin Lacy like, how realistic is it that he gets out there and he again, Larry's not going to give us. Hey, here's the exact day he's cleared to practice, here's the first game he can play in. But you know, given Larry's profession and what he does, again, he's the I mean, he's the owner of pro Rehab physical therapy. Guy knows about rehabbing injuries. He's close to U of L. So I'm just gonna stop doing the word vomit here and just you know, see what he's willing and able to share with us, because I know he's got a lot of stuff, but again there's things he can't share because that's how it works. So he'll join us at four o'clock and at five point thirty, the one, the only mister Kent Spencer from Whas eleven, he'll stop by and we'll get his thoughts on a variety of things, including the big high school matchups tonight because high school football is underway. I'm gonna be under the lights tonight, John not playing, but I'll be at North Bullet High School because yeah, the alma mater. They've got their first home game and it's youth night, so I guess the local youth football teams here. They're hosting them. And it's the kids who play for the play for the league in the community that would feed into North Bullet, you know, when they get a lot older. My son is four years old, so he's got a long ways to go. But they're hosting the youth leagues tonight, and you know, Moose is gonna be out there seeing what it looks like to play the real sport, right tackle football. In fact, I hadn't thought about it till just now. I don't know if he's ever been to a real football game. I don't know when he would have. I've never been able to take him to a Louisville football game, just because you know, it's not easy to do. He's at the AH now though, like this year, like we could take him to a game, and we probably will. But yeah, hopefully he's as excited as I am. It's just gonna be me and him, the wife and my daughter. They've got some plans with some family that's in town, so little Dad sun night out out under the lights. It Uh gosh, I'm embarrassed. I was I was gonna say the name of the field that where I went to school, North Bullet High School, and you know where I'll be tonight. But I should know it, and I think I do, but I don't want to get it wrong. What's worse just admitting that you're not sure or saying it confidently and not having the name right. That's a good question because both are bad, right, especially as a proud Bullet County guy. You know, I think I'm gonna google it. I mean, I want to say, is that I know there's a Collins in there. I know that's I know that's a thing. Yeah, c T. Collins Field. There we go. And I was gonna say that, you know, you'll just have to believe me. You can call me a liar, and I get it, But like that was what was I was gonna say, And I felt like, maybe it's not CT. I knew there was. I knew there was a Collins in there, so it at least.
Speaker 1: Was Eganfield, at least when I was there. I don't know if it's changed, but that's a big.
Speaker 2: Name out there in matt Washington. I know that, so I wouldn't be shocked if, you know. When I asked kent Spencer about the big high school matchups tonight in the Kentuckian area. Wouldn't be a shocker if he doesn't bring up my North Bullet Eagles taking on Holy Cross. But you know, maybe he does. Maybe he decides to humor me and just you know, gas up the Eagles because I have no clue if they're going to be a good team this year. But I'm always gonna support him because that's my that's my squad. Shout out to North Bullet. All right, so let's get right to it. I know everybody's waiting. I say that sarcastically. So first of all, thank you to those that did come out to the Bats game yesterday. I am sure you were there just because you wanted to be there, But there were people that said that they came because they wanted to see if I would embarrass myself. And I was, oh, I just say this. I when I did my practice throws yesterday morning and on Wednesday as well, I overestimated how far it was, Like I did, I guesstimated with a tape measure to get to sixty feet in six inches, and I felt like, Okay, I'm throwing with a t ball, which is not a real baseball, right It's it looks like it, but it's softer and doesn't weigh the same, So I, you know, a little makeshift mound slash plate. You know, I was at one end of the fence and I measured out and I put something down at the other end that I felt like was close to sixty and a half feet. But then I added, I made it a little bit further, thinking okay, well I might be thrown with a different ball. So therefore I am going to, you know, make some adjustments here to try to give myself the most realistic look here as far as throwing a baseball from the pitcher's mound to home plate. So in doing that, you know, I was I was throwing it pretty hard, not like you know, to where I was throwing gas, and it was going to hit the radar but ended up. If I would have just relaxed and kind of loft at it rather than just trying to make sure I didn't fall short, I think I could have put together a much better pitch than I did. And it wasn't good. It was not good. It was not a strike. Buddy back, God love you brother. You really worked hard to make sure that that just didn't go way outside and hit somebody in the head. He had to work for it. I didn't want to make Buddy bad work that hard, but it just happened. It was high and outside, but he made me not look as bad. So again, this is in no way me saying that my pitch yesterday was impressive. It wasn't. In fact, my goal was to make sure you could still say you've seen much worse first pitches than that one, and I do feel very confident that that goal was accomplished. But I did better than I thought I would, because again, if you listened at all, my expectations were very, very low. So I exceeded my expectations. I feel like if I ever get an opportunity again, which I probably won't, I will do better. And you know, it wasn't the worst pitch ever. So thank you to those who came. And I'm a little embarrassed internally, and now I'm gonna share with you because you guys know him an open book. When I left yesterday, left the studio to go down there, I was really really nervous, but I couldn't. I couldn't really, like I kept telling myself, why are you, like, who cares like you? If you if you walk up there and you throw down, like you fall down while throwing it, and it has to roll like you're no, you're not a You're not. It's not gonna be a big deal because like, nobody knows who you are. Like, you know, maybe some people in the Louisville Twitter world or whatever would like have fun with it, you know, clown me be mean about it, But like you know, I'm just I'm telling myself, like it's not that big of a deal. There's not a lot of pressure, there's no expectation. I mean, I'm throwing pitches along with the U of L president and Pat Kelsey among others. Like again, they're gonna introduce this basketball coach everybody's excited about because he's injected real enthusiasm in the basketball fan base. But the first time in forever, you know, and then there's me who people are gonna say, who the hell is this guy? So I kept telling myself, you have nothing to be nervous about, don't be nervous, just chill. And what did calm? Two things calmed me to where I went out there and I'm like, oh, I don't care if I you know, when I was up there throwing, I wasn't nervous. But when I was walking in after I parked and I got to park next to where the players Parke John feel like kind of a big deal. But anyways, I'm walking in and there was a gentleman who was getting out of his car U and he was with his wife and two children, and he stopped me and said, hey man, I just wanted to say, I really appreciate you at you talking about special needs kids. And I kind of looked at him like, oh, well, well, thank you. And then he showed me. He showed me I think it was headphones that he had that had for autistic children and it's got you know, the the the autistic color ski, you know, the the sign that you see for like autistic awareness, that kind of stuff, and you know, he just said, my son's autistics. So you know, I really appreciate that. And that made me completely, like just so appreciative that, like somebody said that to me, which has happened before, but when it never gets old and it's not something that happens all that often, and my mind was just so in a pretzel worried about this stupid first pitch, and then that just made me feel so good. And for those who don't know, you don't listen very often. My daughter's special needs. She's intellectually disabled, has a lot of the traits of an autistic children with sensory issues and whatnot. And I've talked about it here and there over the years, and it's something i'm you know, I'll use this platform to always talk about that and make people aware and advocate for special needs people. And you know, that just got me thinking, Okay, well, hey, at least whatever I get to do, which is who knows, maybe this will be my last show. Who knows. I mean, I hope, God willing it won't be. But you just never know how long this kind of stuff is going to last. And I love doing it. It's a lot of fun. But I also try to use the platform when I can to you know, not inspire or make the world a better place, because that's given myself too much credit. That's just that's a little much. But you know, hey, tell people, hey, there are kids with special needs. You know you should. You should educate your children about their differences and inclusion. That kind of stuff I'm getting emotional thinking about it, but that's something I wanted to do. So I was just so on cloud nine from that. And then my kids get there and they tell me, uh, by the way, big shout out to Brandon Klein, who works for the Bats, who was the guy who you know, when I got there, helped get me situated, took me down in the basement where I got to run, you know, come out of the tunnel and all that kind of stuff, and he said, yeah you can. You can bring too, as much as two people out there with you. So I had both my daughter and my son with me, and once we got out to the field, my my daughter could see her mom, my wife up in the you know, right next to the where we were doing it in the stands, and she wanted to go with her mom, which was fine. But you know, Moose was was I mean, he was he was excited as can be. He's a little little like he was a little nervous, I guess, like he kept, you know, just holding onto my leg, but like he could tell this was this was cool for him. I mean, he thought it was awesome. But he was most enamored by one man, and that was Pat Kelsey. He just he got to see him for the first time. He just thought, like, I mean, he was like any you know, he's right, he said, Pat Kelsey's pitch was a lot better than yours, Dad, And it was. It was a lot better, much better. So I took him out there with me, and you know, I don't want to give the little fellow too much credit, but like that made me not as nervous. I don't know why, Like I just felt like I was just you know, so once I was there, it was you know, it was great, and I'm so appreciati that the Bats let me be a part of it, especially on a night when they were including people that you know, should be called upon to throw out a first pitch, you know, the president of the University of Louisville, the head coach of the Louisville men's basketball program, other folks that work at u of L in very prominent positions. So it was great and the night was awesome. I mean, those two dollars beers were flowing. I'd tell you that right now, John, they were flowing pretty good, and it was just a beautiful night. I know, the Bats let one, I mean, they let a lead slip away late ended up losing, but one of the Reds pitchers that was drafted not that long ago was pitching, and it sounds like he continues to show that that was a good investment, a good draft pick by the Reds, who, of course, you know, that's the parent club of the Bats, so it was great. And I don't just say this to you know, kiss the rear end of the Bats, who you know, let me be a part of something really cool. But if you ever just like want to get out and do something, like you know, you want something to do, go to a Bats game. I mean, I'm not a big baseball fan. I mean I don't. I just don't. It's not a sport. I was totally exposed to a whole lot when I was growing up, But like, there's something about being at a baseball game to where you can enjoy yourself with great ballpark food. They've got cool promotions that they do, and nobody does better promotions than the Bats. And that's just not me being a louivillion that says that if you go look at how they evaluate in rank which baseball clubs out there have the best promotions, the Bats are always up there. I mean they do a great job, everybody from top to bottom, Greg Galliot and his entire team. So you know, we've gone to three or four games this year, and obviously last night I was there for that reason. But I mean it's anytime we go, it's a reminder, you know, you go to Slugger Field, you can take advantage of again. Last night, two dollars beers for like a three window. You know, they had I think it was two or three dollars chicken fingers last night, and they were like a big basket that you'd get at a restaurant where they'd charge you twenty bucks. So if you ever just are looking for things to do, things to take, you know, to take the kids, I mean, you won't find a first of all, a better view of the city of Louisville. The atmosphere is great, parking's not a mess. Tickets are very affordable, and if you like, if you pick some people can't because you know they have other things going on. But if you strategically sort of map out which days you want to go to a Bats game, you know, once a month, twice a month, I feel like giving them where the economy is, it can actually be one of the more affordable and awesome. I mean, there's you can actually go and drink and eat and let your kids play on the playground, let your kids rite the merry, go round, enjoy baseball. If that's your thing, obviously that's why people are there. There's baseball. But like I'm just saying, if you're not, I mean, if you're somebody that never thinks I want to go to a baseball game, don't just look at it like that. Look at it as an event, as something to go do with your family and your friends. And I'm telling you, if you if you pay attention to what they're doing and the promotions, the deals they're offering, with the mini games they have every year, like you can do it and then it'll be way more affordable than you would think, and probably way more affordable than anything else that includes, you know, great atmosphere, downtown Louisville, beautiful views, awesome food, boot booze. I mean, they got a full bar. You don't have to just get the two dollars beers. So again, would I'd be saying this on a Friday if I wasn't just there last night to throw out the first pitch probably not, but I'm also willing to say everything I just said is true, and in fact it's it's factual. So, you know, again, thank you to the Bats, and you know, we'll see if I ever get a chance to do that again. If so again, I'm confident that it'll you know, it won't be fast, it's not going to register. But if you, if you, if you, if you've seen the video, which by the way, it's out there on all my social media, if you want to go check it out. And it's not like you got to run to your phone to pull it up and watch it. It's nothing entertaining. It's just you know, me throwing out a pitch, throwing a baseball. But it was very very you know, high and outside. But again, big thanks to Buddy Bat for getting it done. But I'm telling you, if I got a chance to throw another one, I feel like I might even you know, I might even get it in the strike zone. I don't know why I was so intimidated when somebody told me sixty and a half feet, I'm like, oh my goodness, can I get it there? And that really wasn't the challenge. It was just, you know, so I threw it so I wanted. I threw it so hard I didn't have any type of control because I was so I was so worried about it falling short that it just you know, there was no control. And as soon as I walked off the field, by the way, every camera in town, seemingly from the local media in television was there, and you know, not to not to cover me thrown at the first pitch, but obviously to see Pat Kelsey do it and do a Q and a. He talked to the media afterwards last night. I actually have some sound from that, just just a quick little Q and A with him in regards to him being a big Reds fan, him moving into his house in Louisville. The Indiana matchup that, of course we found out yesterday is going to be the Battle for Atlantis game for them in their first their first match up there. So but yeah, all the cameras and stuff were there. As soon as I walked off the field. Jody Dimmling said, well, wasn't the worst one I've ever seen, And I was like, it makes me so glad to hear you say that, Jody, because that's exactly my goal. Just don't put out there something to where somebody can say, well, now we know, in fact, the worst first pitch we've ever seen. So again, big thanks to the Louisville Bats, and they're in. You can go to slugger Field tonight. I mean, the hot weather has has emerged once again. It's not terrible. It's gonna be much worse over the next week. But man, once once it cools down a little bit, there ain't no better. I mean, I get we set in the the area that is the grass area that's over near the playground, so the kids could play and we could kind of just you know, hang out and you know, take in the atmosphere and take in those two dollars beers and I mean just a beautiful, beautiful view of this beautiful city that is Louisville. So also I want to say thanks to the people. Like there are a few people there last night that, like I know of that I haven't talked to in a long time, just friends that I haven't caught up with, a caught up with in a while, or just acquaintances. There was somebody that he used to work with, and you know, some of them were just there, but there were others that that did say Hey, I'm not even staying for the game, but I wanted to come and see this, so I wasn't expecting that. But thank you to those that did that. That was that was really cool. All Right, enough about me, We'll move on because I know there's another name we've talked about quite a bit, and I still feel like we have now. I mean, i'll just say It'm Mariy Huggins Bruce. He's in Louisville. He has enrolled in school. He's here. That was first reported by I believe Jodi Dimmling. I don't know. Ty Spaulding has also been reporting on it as well. So he's here, he's enrolled in school, but he's not with the football team yet. And that's sort of how we saw this thing playing out, right, And we'll get into it a little bit more on the other side here, I'm trying to kind of set the table before we get to our first break. I want to try my best to keep this thing on track and you know, work on my clock management. But in the last two three days, this is sort of what it seemed like. Yeah, look, I mean there's clearly something going on. He's no longer at South Carolina, he's not practicing with them. Is he gonna beat Louisville. Now we know he's at Louisville. Now we know he's a student, he's enrolled in school. But how does he become elig Well, that's what I don't know, and I've not even heard. I mean, I've read every write up that the local guys here do in regards to this story, because it is a story, but I've yet to hear anybody throw out any type of theory as to how he could be eligible. The only thing I can think of is that just nobody cares about the NCAA anymore. So we'll get back into that coming up here. On the other side. It's not going to dominate the show or anything like that, but it is something I want to want to get to. Also, we've got a sports wagering controversy on the Internet that I find to be hilarious, so we can get into that as well. If you're into, you know, seeing where your team ranks in regards to talent in college football. The twenty four to seven Sports Crew they have team total team talent rankings, and I want to give them a little credit. Again, there's no perfect science to rankings or anything like that or formulas when it comes to players and all that stuff. But they actually are putting something together here that factors all of it. Freshmen, returning players transfer portally like your overall ross. And I was a little surprised to see where some of the local teams came in, So we can get into that as we get yourself for the weekend. College football season is here, It just doesn't kind of feel like it yet maybe tomorrow, Like whenever I see Georgia Tech in Florida State playing in Ireland, I just don't even know if that's going to do it for me, because that's just weird. But anyways, I hope John's good vibes about week zero rub off on me. Stick around. It's coffee and company, it's a Friday. We're feeling good. We are fueled by Thornton's You knew that though, keep it locked on Sports Talk seven ninety so I mentioned that the Bats are back in action tonight, and I forgot to mention that it's margarita night. So if you're a tequila fan and you love a good margarita, tonight is the night for you to get your rear end to Slugger Field. They also have a fireworks show that they're going to do a little later. So hey, I mean, take advantage of that. Who wouldn't take advantage of that six dollars Margarita's and you can stay for the post game fireworks. So we're at Slugger Field all right. Coffee and Company. That's us. We are fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program if you haven't already. It's free, it's easy to do, and your life will be better. You may not even know it. There's no way I can prove that to you. I just want you to trust me that life will be better if you are living it with the Thornton's Refreshment Awards membership in your back pocket. I mean, you don't actually have to have the card. You can just put your number in whenever you know your phone number and whenever you get gas or whenever you're checking out at the self checkout. Thornton's has spoiled me in a major way. And I know that there's others that have copied what they do, because I mean, imitation is really flattering to be honest with you, but the self checkout at a gas station? Like, how do you exist as a gas station if you don't have self checkout? Right now? I mean anytime I go cause again and this is this Thornton's'm putting this on you. I mean, I don't know why you which is with as much love as I have given Thornton's, and I think the love has been mutual. Like why don't you just put one in my backyard? Like, open up a Thornton's in my neighborhood and it'll it that. I mean, it'll be your best location, I bet, But there you know, there are times where I'm out and about and I can't you know, Bullet County, for example, there's not one in Bullet County. I mean, who do I got to talk to get a Thornton's in Bullock County. You've come close, in fact, you put two near the county line. But there are times when I'm out in the county a little bit, you know, a little more south of Louisville than where I live, and you know, I got to stop in at other places and they don't have the self checkout, and I'm like, what are we doing here? What are we doing anyways? Shout out to Thornton's shout out to Mary Huggins Bruce as well, because he loves Louisville so much that he wanted to come back. So this is something that I still kind of can't believe has played out the way that it did. But Louisville has a star receiver transfer in Colin Lacy. That move alone is what led to a Marriy Huggins Bruce. I believe, you know, realizing, you know, I should probably look into my options if I do hit the portal, and he had an option to go back home and play at South Carolina, where he's from. He had a lot of love for Louisville. I can't remember, and it's not as if he did anything crazy, But I just know of some people that got to know him a little bit during his time here he was here three years, and also people at U of L that just still continue to speak highly of him. They're not talking about him right now because he's they're not allowed to, but he was somebody that I think of when I think of guys. Tran and I've talked about this before, he to me is a great is the is the first example of someone that nobody wants to leave. He's not a superstar, but he's valuable to you. You can be okay without him, but you don't want him to leave. He seems to be pretty well liked by the community. He likes it here, but he now has a chance to leave and go play where maybe he can get more reps. So he decided to do that and go back home. But it was kind of a bummer because you know, it was the first one I can think of in that in that situation. So him making sure Louisville fans knew that it's all love. He's always going to be a cardinal. He's just you know, he's going back home. Like that just stood out to me, so you know, it was understood. Like I don't understand. I mean, maybe one day we'll get there to where fans don't have this feeling of being disrespected by a player because they decide to leave, Like I mean, I've never had that, but I understand, Like if you're a diehard fan, I mean, like it's kind of like getting dumped, right, Like when a coach leaves for a better job that you know is a better job, Like you can maybe hit pause on the energy that's flowing through you. That makes you a die hard fan. That's just you know, at times makes you crazy because that's what we are. Fan is. I mean, fan is short for fanatic. So you know, when you give it some thought, like you know, they're probably doing what's best for them, but in the end you're dumped. They've dumped you, they're moving on from you. And you know that's technically what Amari Huggins busted, but it was, you know, what was best for him, at least he thought so. Colin Lacy comes in, didn't have a big spring, and then ends up starting to really come on in fall camp and then he gets hurt on Saturday in the scrimmage and is now out for six to eight weeks, has a broken collar bone. He's going to miss extended time. I mean, I have no problem saying this. It's not like I'm, you know, breaking any hippo laws or anything. But I think everything they've told you is exactly the truth. He had broken collar bone injury. He's had surgery, and they initially said six to eight weeks. They've not adjusted the press release by any means, but they've made it just I've now been told, you know, team spokesman type of stuff like extended time not really wanting to give as much of a range. Doesn't mean he won't be back in six weeks, but it sound like it was a pretty bad break and it could take him a while to get back, you know, does that mean it's closer to eight than six? I don't know what does mean it's longer than eight, No clue, Only time will tell. But that's a big hit. And then out of nowhere this and again. Maybe we'll find out eventually whenever he does get cleared to join the team, if that happens, and he can maybe you know, share some insight on his end as far as what happened, like did he I mean did he was? Was Saturday the day where he realized he didn't land on the depth chart where he wanted to at South Carolina, and he didn't earn a starting spot. In fact, I don't know, I don't have the South Carolina depth chart pulled up here. But and this could just be what fans say because he's getting you know, of course he's taken a beating online from South Carolina fans, you know, for calling him a quitter. You know you weren't good enough to play here see you later. Some were saying he was third string. I don't know if that's true or not. However, you know, Saturday, like it sounds crazy, but I guess it really isn't crazy. Like did he get done with practice on Saturday at South Carolina realizing this isn't working out the way he wanted. He's back home for his last year of college football and he's not really looking to have a bit. He's not expected to have a big impact within their offense. Well, then he sees the guy who came in that had to be a factor in his decision to move on is now hurt and going to miss time. He loved Louisville. He's missing Louisville. Did he just think, like, I wonder if I could maybe make this happen, And it hasn't. I mean, it has happened, but it hasn't because again, he's here, he hasn't rolled in school. He's back in Louisville, he's a student, but he's not rejoined the team yet because I guess they're trying to figure out if and how they can do that. So a very unusual situation here as far as you know, roster transaction. But I just still have yet to hear anybody give me any kind of anario where Because here's the thing. Louisville's going to reach out to the NC Double A and say, hey, this kid is back on campus at school as a student. What can we do? What are we allowed to do? And I can't see a scenario where they just give you the green light thumbs up, you're good to go. Let him back on the team. How many he never played at South Carolina? Right, who cares? It's not like it's you know, I'm not acting like he shouldn't be allowed to play, because really it's stupid, like kids should be able to play wherever they want. And technically he got here before school started and he never played a snap for South Carolina. So it's not like I'm defending the NC Double A. A's like, no, these are their rules. He's not gonna be able to play. But they have a portal window. And I assume they have that portal window because they want to enforce it that you can only transfer during this time. In fact, there's something we can get into a little bit later where the NCAA Football Oversite Group is actually looking into eliminating the spring transfer portal window, which would be good for the sport. Means these guys can't come in for spring ball and or they can't come in in December and go through spring ball, collects them nil money and then bail like many have done across the country. So you know, with all that said, I'm not trying to act like you know, eat it Amuri. Huggins, Bruce, you can't play, because if I hope he can play, why not? Right? He just gives you another receiver at a spot that you have had a big injury at and he's not a guy that's going to lead the acc in receptions or yards, but he can play a little bit, and you now need more depth because you lost a guy that was going to be on the field a lot. In fact, Huggins Bruce, let's just say in a world he gets cleared, I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't start, because I think Hicks, who is probably going to be your starter at that spot now that that Lacey's hurt, you know, I think he didn't. I mean to be honest with you, he hasn't proven it yet because he's a red shirt. Freshman. By all accounts and people I've talked to, he's a better player than Huggins, Bruce. Now you've got to show that on the field, you know, when it matters in a real game. But I just don't see a scenario where he's able to play. And again it's not because I'm saying he's done something wrong, but like why how? Because here's here's something that I just cannot see not being the case here Louisville, the university, the compliance department Before they do anything with this kid, they're going to reach out to the n s double A and ask what they're allowed, like what, like, what's the process here? This kid is back at you of ella and he wants to play. What are we looking at right? Like, you know, can we talk to him? He hasn't been cleared because he didn't enter the portal because you know, the portal's closed. And I just what I find a heart. What I have a hard time seeing is the nsaba A just saying okay, you're good. Who cares? But then again, the n SBLA is extremely and I mean extremely unpredictable, So maybe that is what they end up saying. Who knows, But man, this guy, I mean, he must really really love Louisville and who you know, that's awesome to hear because you know, Louisville's a great place and he loved Louiville when he was here. I don't think he left louisll because he didn't love it. He left Louisville just because, you know, he had one more year left and he thought South Carolina would be a better opportunity for him and it didn't work out that way. But him, what do you think about this? John? Like, try to put yourself in his shoes, and I guess we can't really do that. But is there a scenario that he just did all this without even knowing if he'd ever be able to play this year? Because I feel like that's probably what he did. But then again, I'm thinking, like who would do that. That's a really rash decision to just leave your team and get on a plane after dropping out of school and then re enrolling at the school. You just mean, that's like that's a four day window here for Amari Huggins Bruce, where like he just kind of did something rash and I don't I just have a hard time thinking there's any indication that he he like he's been told, Hey, it's all gonna work out, You're gonna be able to play this year. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's hard to put yourself in his shoes because this is a very unique situation. I do hope the best for him. Maybe it'll work out for him in the long run or I guess a short run, because I mean, he's only got one year left. But it's gonna be interesting to see if he finds his way on the field for louis Ville at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I kind of hate it for him because this story and just this this whole unusual scenario. I think it's led people to think that he's better player than he is. I mean, like, and I know you're not super familiar with him, John, and you shouldn't because he's just an average receiver. I say he's above average, but I mean he's not somebody that, like, you start looking at Louisville differently because he's there. And yet just because of like all the Internet rumor stuff like, I just I think it's I don't think people are out there claiming he's a great player, but just given how much attention this whole thing is received, and people are obviously excited about the thought of him being able to play this year. But I don't think it would. I mean, I don't think it would. I mean, again, I have no problem saying this. Maybe I'm way wrong, and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If he's eligible to play, I think he would be a backup here, and it wouldn't be because he just got here. It would be because they actually think that the young guys are probably a little bit more you know, maybe not talented, but like they really like what they have with guitarist Hicks, who's the backup. But again you've got more experience with Huggins Bruce, and clearly he he knows the offense. But some of these guys who've been practicing for you know, and even though these guys are red strip freshman like Hicks that I mentioned, I mean, he's a guy that was here last year, right, It's not like he you know, he didn't get a chance to play. It's it's not like he he's you know, just showing up. He was here a year ago, and they expect big things from him. I mean, they liked him and still I mean they were talking highly of him before Colin Lacey got hurt. All right, let's get to you a quick break. We'll come back on the other side, And I want to talk about an athletic accomplishment that I find to be crazy impressive, But yet nobody seems to be. Like I'm thinking to myself, why isn't this being talked about more? Why isn't this a bigger deal? This is insane. I'll tell you what it is. On the other side, it's Coffee and Company. We are feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. First time that's happened in a while, John.
Speaker 1: It happened the first time, the first return from this bur or the other break you two times in a row.
Speaker 2: What do you blame that on?
Speaker 1: Again, I don't know what to blame it on. I blame it on next Gen in general. But it's aggravating.
Speaker 2: Well, what like, do you hit stop?
Speaker 1: Listen? So what happens is every once in a while, it will whenever you hit it, it'll kind of say it twice a little bit at the very beginning, and then that cuts off the end. It's very It's like a glitch almost in next Gin.
Speaker 2: So you just how long is it like seven seconds or something five seconds, five seconds, So when you just hit play and it plays to the end, it just plays to the end, but it doesn't finish it.
Speaker 1: I think the way to solve it. First of all, you're correct, But I think the way to solve it would be if I re uploaded it and added some more empty space at the video.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, now, okay, Now I know exactly what you're talking about as far as how next gin works, as far as the time space thing, yeah, got it. Okay, now I get it.
Speaker 1: I get it, and it pisces me off though every time.
Speaker 2: And I don't care. I'm I mean, I didn't even notice that it had done it earlier, like like you said, And it's not a big deal by any means, but I know it bothers you. So that's why I'm like, all right, well, I don't want John upset because I need your vibes today. Right.
Speaker 1: I could easily fix it myself.
Speaker 2: I just don't do it.
Speaker 1: Well because happened. I mean, you said it nine times out of ten. I mean, we just started doing remote shows again.
Speaker 2: We yeah, so yeah, And for those who don't know, today I am remote with the good equipment and hopefully it's a situation where you wouldn't have even known if I didn't say anything. It's not like how we were and with the pool zone. Yeah, the pool zone last week. But you know, obviously I'm gonna do I will be doing probably many of the postgame shows for football here in my home, and I just we just you know, earlier this week, I wanted to make sure and see if this you and we're good. We're good. It's just that little thing. I just know that it bothers John. And you know, trust me, if you were if it and I know you so I know it has nothing to do with me. You just you know, you're a perfectionist, which is why you're good at what you do. You don't want little glitches on these clips, the liners that we play when we come back, So you know, that's that's one of the many things that makes him the company man. You know, he doesn't he's not cutting corners. He don't want any glitches. He wants it to sound as it should sound. So I'm confident we'll we'll either get it figured out or you know, it'll happen again and you'll get upset, and I'll just tell you, and I'll just have to tell you that it's okay. So we're good, all right? So am I crazy when I say this? I think it is unreal And I would have never believed you that that it was possible. Maybe not possible, but like I can't believe that Tom Brady at forty seven years old can dunk a basketball with ease, wearing jeans. I mean, I'm not gonna act him like he's the most athletic specimen that's ever walked this earth, but like I would have never expected that he'd be able to do that at all. Because Tom Brady, yes, he played in the NFL a lot longer than most, right he probably mean he could still play. Tom didn't walk up. Tom Brady didn't leave the NFL this last time around because he was getting old and like couldn't play anymore now he wasn't. I mean he wasn't as good as he was in his prime, of course, but like that wasn't because he's an old man, Like he takes care of his body. I mean, he looks younger now than he did probably ten years ago, right the TV twelve method, But at forty seven years old, and how tall is Tom Brady. I'm gonna guess he is six ' three. He's six ' four. Like, am I crazy to say that a six ' four guy who is forty seven was never known to be an athlete? Right? I mean, clearly he's a professional athlete. He's one of the best of all time. But as far I'm talking pure athleticism, right, Like, if you'd told me he could never dunk at any point in his life at six foot four, I would have believed you. And even when he if there was ever a rare situation during his twenty three years in the NFL that Tom Brady took off running, it would end up as a viral video because nobody could believe he runs like that because he doesn't look like somebody you'd ever see on an NFL football field. He looks like a pretty boy, a model or something. So there's this video that is on It's on Twitter if you go to overtime on Twitter. It shows him dunking at forty seven years old, and he's wearing you know, he's wearing Tom you know, Tom Brady's wearing the jeans that hug your privates. He's not wearing bad loose athletic genes. My man's got the tight jeans on that look like they'd fit my eight year old daughter, and he's out here just dunking it like it's nothing. And I just, again, when we ever, if we ever decide to put together a list of the most insanely impressive athletical athletic accomplishments, just these guys that are just built different. This is not gonna end up mentioned, but I have I just I couldn't believe that. I mean, forty seven years old. Yes, he's six or four. I know people that are six six that can't dunk, especially at forty seven. I mean, I, I mean, yes, I know the answer to the question I'm about to ask him. I overdoing it. Yeah, But nobody's acting like this is impressive, and I'm telling you it is to me.
Speaker 1: I'll say when I when I was in high school, I don't know why this made me think of this. I mean, I guess it is dunking related. There were people who I was friends with. We'd hang out and shoot basketball on the court atter school sometimes and they're probably maybe six foot, but they get dunk fairly easily.
Speaker 2: And I know they're younger.
Speaker 1: But when you think extra four inches was six ' four and you were a professional athlete. I don't think it surprises me as much as it maybe it did you. To me, it's the forty seven years old thing. Yeah, that's what gets me. Now Again, he's clearly still taking care of himself working out. But I mean, there are NBA players that are forty seven that have retired, and yeah, they probably if they can't dunk, it's because they don't take care of themselves anymore and they just aren't trying to be athletic.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I don't know. I just thought that that was insanely impressive. But back to your point about being a pro athlete. When I played in the Chris Mack Fantasy camp, again, we did win the championship. I know some people are probably still talking about. As I say all the time, it was a big deal. But Chris Redmond was on one of the other teams. And you know big Chris, you know, bowling a China shop, right, guy who looks like a football player playing basketball. But he was a good athlete and everything Chris Redmond was, I mean, he was good at everything. Obviously much better a football than anything else. He's a legend around here. But you know, he would be out there playing basket and it wouldn't look like, oh wow, that guy should have been in the NBA. But he'll do something athletically. He'll make a move, make a shot, just make a play, maybe one that sometimes does require some really good athleticism, maybe one that you're just like, damn, Chris, I didn't know you had that in the bag. And then you'll remind yourself, oh, yeah, that guy played in the NFL for a decade. He's a professional athlete. We are not so like to that point, John, You're right, like the guy was in the NFL. You know, even if he isn't known for athleticism in the NFL, his athleticism is probably much higher than the average Joe or even a guy that you know was an athlete, but not at that level. So again, I just felt like it was really impressive. And in high school, I mean I remember I was like one of like the eight, like the eight. I don't know, it was gonna exaggerate a little bit, but like everybody who played on my high school team that started could dunk other than me and I guess one other, but he did dunk one time, not in games. We never we only had two guys that ever dunked in a game. But like I remember, whenever I was like a freshman, there'd be kids like it at lunchtime, shooting around in the gym dunking, and they, you know, they were like, you know, sixteen years old and six foot six two, and I'm like, oh, he can dunk. I bet he starts for the varsity team. And like these kids never played basketball. So you're right to that point, like you know, when you're in your athletic prime, at that age, you got probably more hops than you'll ever have, But it doesn't necessarily translate to you know. Now, once I got older, I realized, yeah, you can be you could be an average joe. But if you're you know, tall enough and you've got a little bit of ability to jump, you can throw it down. I was never able to dunk, which probably doesn't surprise you guys. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side and bring him in. He's doctor Larry Ben's of pro Emphysical Therapy. We've got two hours left. You're on a Friday. As we get you set for the weekend, it's coffee and company feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety