Speaker 1: Hello there, and welcome back to be disconnected here with Anthony from Petroglyph Media, one of our youngest up and coming boutique Blu Ray Companies, and Anthony so excited to be able to share this inspiring story.
Speaker 2: So thanks for coming on, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Ryan. I don't even know where to start. I mean, one thing that we probably should say at the very beginning is you've already talked a lot about the process behind this, and so there's a link of the description below. Everybody needs to go check out the episode of the trash Backs podcast that you did. Fantastic conversation. I'm gonna try to not double up in a lot of the same questions and cover some other stuff, so please go listen to that as well. You've got a lot of really great points that you bring up there. But genuinely excited to talk to you about this one thing that you didn't go in too much on. There is a lot about yourself. We talked about the process and what went into the first release, which we're gonna be talking about just a minute. But uh, how how did you get here? What's the history of Anthony?
Speaker 3: Uh So, the history of Anthony is uh, you know, I'm from New York City, I'm from Queens. Grew up as a monster loving kid, you know, watched Monster Vision as a child when it was like marathons, got Zilla marathons, so really into monsters as a kid, and then kind of transitioned into horror later on into my teen years. I feel really, you know, grateful that I grew up in that time when when physical media was was taking off, when Anchor Bay was you know, starting to release all these you know, European horror films, and really jumped on that wave and got really into that at the time, and I've just been collecting ever since, uh, you know, since I was a teenager pretty much. So yeah, film I mean, growing up as a kid, was super into special effects. When I was young, I really thought I was going to be you know, it was right before Jurassic Park came out, so there was like still this idea that stop motion might still be going on, and then having to watch all those documentaries around the release where Phil Tip is like, oh, this is the end of it for us, and then you know, as I got older, kind of getting into you know, the other aspects of filmmaking. My mother was the one that introduced me to Alfred Hitchcock. So that's when I, you know, obsessed with what a director does. When I was young, I was watching an episode of The X Files. I think it was the one might have been the first season where they go, uh, there's like there's like these bugs in like the Pacific Northwest. I was watching that episode. I was with my father and it said directed by Joe Napolitano. So I was like, oh, Dad, somebody with our last name. And he goes, oh, yeah, that's my cousin.
Speaker 2: And this was never really verified and I still have no no garification of this if this is.
Speaker 3: True, but Joe Napplezano was from Brooklyn and apparently he was my father's cousin.
Speaker 2: They moved out to California.
Speaker 3: When he was young, and he you know, when I was when IMDb came out, I looked him up and totally did not look at the rest of his filmography, just saw that he worked on Kingdom of the Spiders and I was like, amazing, that's great. Totally blew past the fact that he was the first assistant director on Scarface Blowout, but no.
Speaker 2: Kingdom of the Spider was what mattered to me at the time.
Speaker 3: Having that idea planted in my head that somebody in my family tree works in Hollywood made me feel like, no, maybe that'll happen for me one day. And I honestly think that all of us that collect these movies and are really into the special features, deep down inside we all want to make our own films, and I think that's why we gravitate towards this stuff. The special features are not for the average people that were buying them from Walmart and Best Buy in the first place. They were always meant for people like us want to be filmmakers. So yeah, that's that's Uh, that's kind of me summed up.
Speaker 1: Well, as a surprise, here's cousin Joe. Let me bring him in. I'm just kidding. That's incredible. I mean you mentioned collecting. Everybody can see what's behind you that are that's watching the video. I mean even got the super rare Al Adams and set. What What what are you into nowadays? Who are you buying from? What kind of companies do you like supporting? Uh?
Speaker 3: Definitely, you know Vinegar Syndrome for sure, Arrow, all the major ones, I mean all the major boutique labels.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, I have two.
Speaker 3: Sons, so as a parent it gets difficult with tuition to kind of make those big purchases.
Speaker 1: So the cheap right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, at the.
Speaker 3: Same time, I'm in So I'm in bell Rose, Queen Rose, Long Island.
Speaker 2: I grew up on the Queen's side.
Speaker 3: I never got a chance to live in Brooklyn where things are really happening and cool. I am in the same I'm literally like three blocks away from the house I grew up in. But yeah, all all the major boutique labels. I pretty much support anything that catches my eye. The one thing that escaped me recently that I really want to purchase is that that Eureka said about the German crime movies. The crime I think that I want to get my hands on. And yeah, just you know, nothing, nothing in particular stands out outside of that recently, but yeah, just whenever anything catches my eye, I'm on it.
Speaker 1: Are you Are you staying up to date with modern films too, or do you mostly live in the the class immediately the face change, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's my uh my, and my film education is lacking outside of these these genre films.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, like if somebody were.
Speaker 3: To kind at me with like like, I don't even know most of the films in the Criterion, the ones that you're supposed to know if you have a really well rounded film education. I mean, it's basically the stuff that you see behind me is really what keeps me going.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get it. I'm a lot of the same way. I've still never don't tell anybody this isn't public, but I've never seen a Bergman movie still and I want to just haven't gone around to it.
Speaker 2: That was the name that was coming up in my head.
Speaker 3: And whor's of all, for the longest time, I had never seen The Godfather, and everyone would say, well, you're Italian and that's a great piece of American cinema and you've never seen that.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with you? I mean, I have seen it now, but for a long time that was Did.
Speaker 1: It live up to the hype? That's the big question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it lived up to the hype. The hype. I could see why people consider it.
Speaker 1: It's all right, yeah, you know, well, we're talking about names that come up, things like the Criterion stuff. A name that most people are not going to raise when just discussing film is Hydropenea And this is such a cool double feature to come out with as your first release. You got funerals in the estro, You've got Triangulo de Ororo. This is the slip cover, double sided, two different titles. For those that have not heard the trash Mechs podcast? Who is Hydra Wow, that's not the name. Who is Hydroa?
Speaker 3: So is Colombia's like genre Attur. He is when you think of genre cinema in Colombia, it's him. He's a one man industry basically started out in the seventies. He has a pretty lengthy filmography, pretty much sticking with horror or action adventure. And you know, he comes from a country where there really isn't a very robust film industry. It's not like Mexico or Argentina where there's like these big international films that played across all of Latin America. So for you know, in America we used to like people like George Romero and Toby Hooper that.
Speaker 2: You know a lot of people that went out and did it on their own.
Speaker 3: There's there's uh, there's that history. In Colombia, there is not a lot of that, and right it really took a lot for for him to break out on his own, and it's really commendable. And he's definitely you know, he is known there because he inspires you know, new generations of film lovers and filmmakers, uh there. So within Columbia he's pretty well known in the film circles. Film students know about him, revere him. But outside of that, you know, not known really in America. You know, I think some of his films have played in festivals, probably in Europe and Spain, but really.
Speaker 2: No play here at all in the US.
Speaker 3: Although I did state that, you know, the these were the first ever American releases, but tri Angelo Lero apparently did get a US VHS release back in the eighties, which I was not aware of, but no subtitles, uh though unfortunately because those negatives were lost, our print probably looks like that, exactly the same as the VHS. But this show is restored. So yeah, he's you know, when you I think he should be not maybe as well known as Sey Coffin Joe or Narcisio, even as Menta in terms of South American horror, but he's up there, I would say, if you're thinking of like three names from South America in terms of horror genre and higher opened. You should be up on that list because he's done a lot well.
Speaker 1: And one thing that's getting more and more important nowadays, especially with something like Letterbox, a lot of people are paying attention to, uh, you know, crossing off list or the big thing is with something like this, crossing off countries of films that they've been able to watch from. And I don't think I mean, i'ven't logged everything I've ever watched, but before this, I don't think I'd even had a Colombian film on my list, which just really goes to show lack of distribution, lack of attention, lack of access to many of these films. And this is just such a cool entry point for somebody that is already into physical media because it's such a physical media, like already coded cult type of film. It's such a great double feature for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, I mean, you know, unfortunately, so it's it's gonna be the genre films that travel the most from from from foreign countries. They there's a there's a line in the documentary not quite Hollywood. I forget who says it, but you know, a good punch up needs no translation, like fights sell anywhere in the world, and I think gore genre films sell anywhere in the world no matter where they come from. So they're the easiest access points to kind of getting people from the outside to look in and see what your country has to offer. So it's a it's a good cinema is a great soft power to have to to let people know about your country, your culture and things like that. And for anyone who doesn't know anything about Columbia or hasn't seen a Colombian film, this is a good entry way. One of the things that I say on the on the back cover of the disc is that you know, one of the people who was really inspired by Hydro Benja is Sierro Guierra, who is the first Colombian director to be nominated for an OSCAR for Best Foreign Film for Embrace of the Serpent. So you know that lineage right there from Hydro Benice to this guy, it's he inspired a lot of people.
Speaker 1: One thing that I don't know it means more and more to me is I've watched more of these movies. Roger Ebert was quoted once as saying movies are empathy machines and for me, which is hilarious because I currently my day job, I work for immigration and I've never been fortunate enough to be able to travel outside of the country and so being able to see like traditions and part of people's culture through something like this really is for a privileged white cyst male, like the direct access to this form of empathy with Colombian specifically if they are in their home country. At least, you know, I can meet Columbians here just the same to speak to them, but it's not quite the same. And being able to literally see a funeral procession or you know, how their their filmmaking history came to be. It's such a unique way to envelop yourself in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, film is like it's it's it's your first passport, you know, going to the video store, as you know, as a young teenager being able to rent films from around the world.
Speaker 2: You have access.
Speaker 3: That's your that's your travel before you can you know, freely leave the country. You're you're visiting the world through the lens of other filmmakers and how they viewed their country and how they viewed certain topics and things going on there. So yeah, it definitely gives you insight into into other cultures.
Speaker 1: The physical release itself. We got to get into this. Obviously you're excited about these films, you are excited with the film, or you're inspired by the story, you want to get it out. How do you go from that just saying, well, shit, I got to do this myself.
Speaker 2: So big inspiration for me, Bill Olson from quote, Oh wow, nice. And I'll tell you why.
Speaker 3: Why Because he let so much of his persona be on the Internet that you kind of got a real feel for the guy. And you can kind of walk away and say, this process might not be as mysterious as I'm imagining in it to be late. You know, this sounds like a regular guy who doesn't necessarily have to have like some business degree or film education.
Speaker 2: Like he just probably went out and just did it and just gumption.
Speaker 3: And maybe I can do the same because I've collected enough, I've listened, I've read enough, you know, the Blu ray boards and whatnot. Maybe I have enough knowledge that I can give this a shot. And that was kind of like the impetus. I just felt like I could do it, so let me see what happens. And yeah, I just made that initial outreach to this website in Columbia that was host was streaming his films because I couldn't see them and I was really dying to see them. And one of my friends has joked that, like this was like the most expensive way to ever just like get a movie subtitle.
Speaker 2: So you could just watch it. Like that's what it was, This is passion project.
Speaker 3: I could just finally see it because I didn't see the movie until it was like restored, Like I no, I did not watch it beforehand, like I licensed it blind, just going off of yeah, significant it was historically and just from the few clips I had seen from it, just I just kind of knew off the bat that this was going to be something I would enjoy. So it didn't feel like too much of a risk, Like I knew I was gonna love it no matter why. But yeah, it was just a leap of faith, I.
Speaker 1: Guess inspired by Bill Olson. And then the actual physical product, obviously there's a lot of uniqueness in this. You've got the double sided slip cover, you've got the really great double sided original art here. Is there anybody you were trying to emulate with your actual physical product?
Speaker 3: Just I mean, obviously with the slip cover, trying to be like vinegar syndrome.
Speaker 2: Of course with the artwork.
Speaker 3: So I kind of like just pulled out all my all my favorite Blu rays that and looked through the artists and one of them was the Suspiria, the four k Uh and it's the same artist.
Speaker 2: I reached out to him because I found out that he was from Columbia. He had done he had done Suspiria, he had done Demons, and I was like this, I like, this guy's are artwork, he's from Colombia. It just feels like it has to be him. And he was. He was very, you know, very eager to do it.
Speaker 3: He knew of hydrophenigia and he was like, wow, he'd be honored to do it.
Speaker 2: So I was glad that that worked out.
Speaker 3: And he was a huge help because I, you know, I don't know how these things get formatted. He he helped with the layout of the uh, the paper that goes into the sleeve. I didn't know how to do any of that. He he offered to help me on that, and you know, when the next release comes about, we're gonna be working together on that next release because I he was just such a huge help getting this release to.
Speaker 2: Where it is to looking as professional as it does.
Speaker 1: Honestly. I mean the art was the first thing I saw obviously when you go to the website, but he captures the faces in this so perfectly. It is crazy how much the likeness is exactly what it looks like on both sides of the slip cover. I mean both of the films. It's immaculate what he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's it was incredible.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was overjoyed when I saw the results and we worked on it a few days. Like I was, I was giving him like so for tri Angelo Lero, like the points of reference, I'm like, just look at all those Italian ripoffs of Indiana Jones, like the posters for those, Like, that's our point of reference when we're trying to create this thing and come up with how we.
Speaker 2: Wanted it everybody positioned. So that was that was a really fun process. But yeah, really happy with the results.
Speaker 1: On the the Trashbacks podcast episode, you mentioned a lot of things that you know, you just talked about that it was a risk, but during this process, you're losing your job, You're unemployed for parts of it you're trying to figure out how to handle, you know, translating over the phone while signing agreements. What was a you know, like the biggest thing in this that you never saw coming that just shook you in the process.
Speaker 3: The price for the restoration, because I had I had a certain budget in mind, and I didn't really you know, I think I had seen somebody else quote how much it costs to produce a Blu ray and it was somebody saying, oh, Kino said this at one time, that this is how much it costs. I was like, well, I just happened to have that now because my mother had sold her house and you know, me, my brother and my sisters, we all got a little chunk of that. And I asked my wife, I said, would you be gracious enough that I kind of pursue my dream with this this bit of change, and she said yes. And you know, it obviously ended up costing more than that, which.
Speaker 2: Is why it took so long, because I had to wait until I had the next round of funds to keep going. But yeah, when I saw the price for the restoration, I was like, oh my god. I was like, I think the next release I'm definitely gonna look for a film that has already got an HD transfer already made, probably because I don't know if I'll be able to do this right away again. That was yeah, that was the biggest thing.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And there were one other thing that happened was and I don't want to make it sound like the.
Speaker 2: Company did that did the restoration, did the bed job. It's Metropolis Posts who did a razorhead, Gray Gardens, Pink Flamingo. They're amazing.
Speaker 3: But when they scanned the film, apparently somebody's eyelash fell into it and they discovered that once we had already sent it back to Columbia, so then I had to ask for the Archives to release it again and send it back.
Speaker 2: To the US so they could rescan it. And that was I was like, I.
Speaker 3: Was freaking out when that happened. I was like, oh my god, they're gonna they're gonna hate me for this. And because I was just so nervous that something would happen because it was the last copy of this film available, like there's no other cerials for it. I'm like, if I'm the one that loses it, I'll feel horrible. But luckily that wasn't the case. Metropolis Post took care of it. They were amazing, But that was one thing that popped up that.
Speaker 2: Would like really scared me, Like, oh really.
Speaker 1: That's a lot to ship it back and forth twice, and I mean, gosh, that's terrifying in so many different ways. I understand if you want me to cut it, but I am going to ask for anybody that's inspired by your story, can you share how much the restoration cost or ballpark at.
Speaker 5: Least I'm gonna say ballpark the costs of a brand new twenty twenty five, all right, if.
Speaker 3: I want that, the company would want me to Yeah, there right, I'll say this. I chose them because I wanted to go with somebody in New York so I could come and keep an eye on the prospect that did reach out to act for. Their prices were around the same, I think, but I wanted it to be in New York so that way I could come in and you know, yeah, going so and I was really happy.
Speaker 2: With the with the work.
Speaker 3: It took a while, like I said in the other interview, I don't know if that was because that's how long it really took to do it, or because a twenty.
Speaker 2: Four just like took preference over my stuff. I don't know, right, but yeah, so the cost of a brand new car was just the uh, just the restoration itself, and that's my initial budget was, right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that leads to something that makes me very worried for more to come out of your brilliant mind. I mean, you go on your website right now and this pretty incredible, rare package of two movies is twenty dollars, Anthony, How could you afford to sell this for only twenty dollars? Right?
Speaker 3: Basically, there's a thousand copies sitting in my bedroom and my wife needs to see them.
Speaker 2: Gone touche.
Speaker 1: That checks out, Seriously.
Speaker 3: I have priced it at thirty initially when when it first came out and nobody saw it, and I just thought to myself, this might be a hard ask because yeah, you can charge you know, today's.
Speaker 2: Lucio fuol Cheese Birthday, Happy birthday, Lucio ful Chee.
Speaker 3: You could release a four K of Luccio fool Chee right now and charge whatever you want.
Speaker 2: It's built in name recognition. People pay that price. Nobody knows who Hydropnedia is. How could I dare ask somebody even for a double feature, to pay thirty. I didn't feel like I was really going to get anywhere with it, and it was at that price for about a month. I probably didn't do enough promotion at that time either.
Speaker 3: The part about me losing my job was right when the promotion started kicking in, because I suddenly had a bunch of time.
Speaker 2: But I just felt like twenty, like you can't say no to twenty.
Speaker 3: And my main thing was I want this guy to get exposure more so than anything, you know, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I did not do this to get rich. Obviously, I would like to.
Speaker 3: I would like it to eventually become profitable so I can continue to do it doing this and make this my thing. But that was money was not my main focus. My main focus was kind of preserving this film for my sons, getting this director exposure in the United States. He has a lot more films, and like I said in the other podcast, I don't want to just be the Hydropniga guy. I want to branch out and do other things. So if anybody else, any other labels are listening, he's got a lot of other stuff to offer and to be great. If somebody put together a box set of his films because I want him.
Speaker 2: To be more well known.
Speaker 3: There's very few figures like him who are just you know, from outside of the US that have a genre filmography and they're just doing it themselves. You don't see that very often.
Speaker 1: Especially in Latin America. I mean it's been mentioned time and time again, but we are sorely missing on entire countries filmographies, let alone like some of these very like high regarded filmmakers that have entire careers just waiting to be resuscitated and granted, you know, like discussing these funeral is from a theatrical print and then Triangulo is from a one inch tape master. But there are so many of these countries where the elements are not perfect. We still deserve to do something with their films and archive in a way where they can be seen for generations.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Okay, so people getting into this and inspired by you need to have a shit ton of money. We get that. The other thing for a lot of people's curation. You don't want to just do Penia films. If this is something that somebody watches this and they say, you know what, I want to fund your next five releases. What are what are dream things that you want to do? Is there like a theme for the label that you want to keep to or.
Speaker 3: So a lot of people have just assumed that it will be Latin American genre films, which I'm I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: I do want to dip my my my.
Speaker 3: Feet in that again, but I also had it in mind that I would kind of in my mind, I wanted to go all over the world. Yeah, there's there's just so many countries where there's just so many films in my head.
Speaker 2: That have not gotten releases that I that I want to hit up, and I just I have I'm afraid to mention them. It might be an unreasonable fear, Like I get it.
Speaker 3: There was a show you where I forgot I think it was Celeste had the copy of it. We're showing it, and then I saw that Deaf Crocodile was like, we're looking into South American films as we speak.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god, I guess something that I have my mind on. So like, what is it? There is a film I'll say it because I don't think it's the thing.
Speaker 3: I'm going to probably get my hands up but there's a film from Poland called like Curs of Snake Valley that I believe has an HD restoration that was on it played in New York a few years back. It's like Indiana Jones type film with UFOs and a monster in it, and it's pretty enjoyable, and that was one of the films that I had considered. I also like thought of kind of expanding into just like world cinem in general, you know, not genre films. Like there's other films from South America that I want to release, specifically Argentina. There's a film called Dark Side of the Heart with Dario Grandinetti, who was in the Amadovar's talked to her. So that is a film that I love that I would love to see get, you know, a restoration. So yeah, not just harror. So that's why I named the Petroglyph because it's kind of like unnameable. It's not like a horror specific name, so it kind of allows like a latitude to just kind of release anything. So all I can say is whatever I release, it'll be very personal to me. So it's you're getting it's gonna be a line that's very personally curated. So it's not I don't foresee this company growing at such an enormous rate where there's gonna be lots of people and I'm going to have an acquisitions department and people are gonna be making decision.
Speaker 2: It's probably gonna be me, just me for a very long time, if anything. And so whatever you're getting is something that I personally like and I feel that you need to see.
Speaker 1: So for anybody watching, he's going to get an MGM deal and we'll be seeing seven of those starting next month.
Speaker 3: There's like so many studio films that I'm just like waiting for that I haven't seen, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: What is the hold up? I don't want to ramble it, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, my big thing is I want to see you succeed. So I'm really suggesting to anybody that's watching this to go in. And I don't normally do this because I really hate saying just buy something to support, but this is the sort of thing that we need to speak with a twenty dollars bill to be able to say this is something that we deserve to have restored, we deserve to have archived, and not just we as the community, but the filmmaker deserves to be honored like this, and to see more of this come from somebody like you is immense And I really hope that people will see this and respond by going to the website and purchasing. But for those that are somehow not convinced yet, why don't you try to elevate or pitch funeral first?
Speaker 3: So Funanazinestro involves a young girl whose father has just passed away. She has to stay at their the family hacienda with her stepmother while her uncle goes in clears up legal issues regarding his death and the transfer of his money and whatnot. And there's suspicious things going on at the hacienda regarding the stepmother.
Speaker 2: She may have been involved in the father's death.
Speaker 3: And this young girl is very afraid of being alone, very afraid of the supernatural, and without giving away too much, things escalate from there. Some people see things they're not supposed to see, and some murders take place, and yeah, it's a very it's a slow burn, but it's got a lot of atmosphere. Definitely, I think Armando from trash mach set at best. It's like it's a film that you have to watch for the lights off in the dark at night to get the full effect.
Speaker 1: It is one I rewatched last night to be able to talk about it again. And sure, it's not the greatest movie ever, but there's so much to enjoy about it. I mean, first off, the restoration for being from a theatrical print looks pretty damn great for how old it is. One thing I really wanted to point out that didn't get into a lot of detail in that episode is the sound in this movie is so good. Like there's not just atmospheric sounds either, there's like iconic sounds that you So I will probably never forget a couple of the things that you hear in this movie.
Speaker 2: It's great, that's awesome. That's great to hear.
Speaker 1: There's the stepmother. One scene, she goes to laugh and she does this really like throaty and it's so funny in the moment that she does it. It's great. So that's our first one, but our second one, which is a really great By the way, this is an incredible choice for double feature, but it pretty much could not be more different than Funeral. So tell us about what we're getting on the other side of this.
Speaker 3: So Ti Anglolero is a very pulpy adventure film, very much probably trying to ride the waves of Indiana.
Speaker 2: Jones.
Speaker 3: We have an island, a treasure map. There are radioactive plants, man eating plants. Basically this woman and I forget if it's Sara. I think it's her brother that goes treasure hunting on some island that they've heard about since they were a kid. He comes back, he's got all these burns on him, and these other people that are looking for this map, they get it. They kidnap her, they take her to the island, and it's up to her brother to come and save her and his nephew.
Speaker 2: From what dangers they encounter on Ghost Island.
Speaker 3: So really fast paced, much faster different totally, like you said, very different from Funanasinstro, much more fast paced. It's got a great bar bar room kung fu battle in the middle of it. But yeah, I chose that because I felt like they these were the two films from his filmography that would stand out the most. You have one that's the first Colombian horror film, and you have this action film, and I felt like these were the these had the elements that they could put together they could sell really well.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of that, one of the main things I wanted to hear near the end of this is the reception to this. So first of all, how how has it sold? Are you? Are you pretty happy with what you've gotten out there so far?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's a limited edition thousand copies and we're close to the halfway points and it's only been selling some March. So for a film that no, you know, nobody's really heard of beforehand, I feel that's that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: So I'm very happy with it. And if I can be gone with.
Speaker 3: All the copies by the end of the year, I'll be extremely happy, and my wife will be happy.
Speaker 1: I was about to say the wife loved that.
Speaker 2: They have more space to play in in the house, but yet, No, the reception has been great.
Speaker 3: I've been getting a lot of messages on Instagram. I was never like on social media at all because I really hate it, but I have.
Speaker 2: To for promotion and whatnot.
Speaker 3: And people write me messages, people who are from you know, Colombian lineage or background saying, you know, they had never heard of it and this is what they had always been looking for because they're genre fans.
Speaker 2: And they always wondered about this, So to hear that is is just amazing.
Speaker 3: That really really makes me happy that because that was what I kind of aim to do, because that's important. It's important to see people from your culture doing the things that you want to do, because it kind of gives you permission to do it as well.
Speaker 2: In a sense.
Speaker 1: What about the receptions of the films themselves? Have you been paying attention to, like letterbox reviews exploding and people finally starting to talk about Pania.
Speaker 2: Most of what I saw in letterbox was good.
Speaker 3: I think there was like one review that was kind of negative, and I was like, I shouldn't look at this anymore because it's going to hurt me as if I made the film myself, I shouldn't take it so personally.
Speaker 2: But no, everything has been pretty good.
Speaker 3: I've been I was very, you know, careful to not try to oversell the films, like this is not a gore fest. Somebody had written that it's like it might not be even classifiable as a horror, but you know what, everybody else online has spoken about it as a horror film.
Speaker 1: So I have no problem a horror film.
Speaker 2: As considering it horror.
Speaker 3: But Everything that I've read has been pretty pretty positive, so I'm happy that people have enjoyed it. The link on phone naucing Thatshra is a bit much. People comment about that, but that's understandable, totally understandable.
Speaker 1: The big thing though, is just seeing the access, Like I imagine this has to be super gratifying to see, you know, your film come out and then suddenly, oh, yeah, the letterbox reviews are going to shoot up because people couldn't see this before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I was, and it occurred to me like maybe two or three weeks after I had started selling copies. I was like, I should check letterbox and see what's going on there because I had, you know, previously, there had only been like three reviews each for both films, so it really wasn't much out there. And then yet to see it slowly, you know, start to rise up in number was gratifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't remember how soon after you launched I even discovered that you were a thing. Yet, how did you first get the name out about Patrick Cliff?
Speaker 3: So basically just got on Instagram. I had a friend make a really kind of really nice trailer and I think I was telling the guys from trash macs. Like the algorithm worked because I had always, like I said, I've never been on social media, but I kind of always like cyberstalked Armando because he just puts such amazing stuff on.
Speaker 2: So I was like, as soon.
Speaker 3: As I got on Instagram, I'm going to follow this guy, and I guess through following him, it kind of went out to everybody that follows him, and I guess it just kind of worked that way.
Speaker 2: And as I started putting.
Speaker 3: Up ads, I started getting more and more you know, people into it. And then when you posted about it on Instagram, that shut up. Like it was crazy that that weekend. So I really appreciate that. Like I came home and I was like, oh, I got a sale, and I was like, wait, I got another one. I'm like, what the hell's going on the other like, this wasn't happening. It was like before that, it had been slow, like maybe one or two a day, but then won every like ten minutes, I'm like, something happened.
Speaker 2: I was checking.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, the Disconnected wrote about it, So thank you for that. That was a huge course.
Speaker 1: That's that's literally all I try to do is help small, small groups like this, and funny enough, I think you mentioned him in the Trash Mix podcast Mondo Micabre Jared Honor from Mondo Micabre, don't. I don't think I told you this yet. He's the one that let me know that the release existed. He found out through some way and he went, did you know about this? Because I'm sure you want to post about it? I went, hell, yeah, you know, I want to post about this. This sounds great and post about it immediately, and then it has exploded. I mean, we've talked about it. I've got my own discord. Many many people in the discord have purchased it, so we've all talked about the films in there, and it really seemed to just word of mouth, keep keep going thankfully.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Yeah, no, I'm really happy with the reception.
Speaker 1: That's great. So yeah, no plans for a second release or anything. We got to get this one out of out of the bedroom. But other than that, other than purchasing it, I'm assuming that sharing the information about this and word of mouth is the best way for people to support you right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's available directly through me through my website. Diabolic DVD has copies of it.
Speaker 2: There was some other company in the UK that has it now.
Speaker 1: To the Treasured Films. Probably I think that's the name of the film Treasures is the name of their online side.
Speaker 2: I think possibly it was his Strange Devices.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe maybe, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But if you're in the UK, there's somebody, there's a there's somebody.
Speaker 1: There that I'll find it in the links of the description. Anything else that you want to hype up or promo or anything else that I can do to help.
Speaker 3: No, I just want to say to everyone who's already purchased a copy, thank you so much. You have no idea what it means to me. Anybody who's on the fence. Twenty dollars, you can't go wrong. And yeah, once once, I uh, once all these copies are gone. I don't I don't know if there's going to be like a standard, you know, edition of it just depends on how how how quickly I run out. But then I, you know, hopefully soon I will start working on what that next release is. And I do not plan, even though I know it will.
Speaker 2: Be just as difficult as this first release. I do not plan to disappear into the ether. You will hear from me again.
Speaker 1: Amazing and yet I mean you can tell on the spine it is petroglyph media number one, so that there has to be a number two. That's the rule.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Well, on that note, Anthony, thanks so much for your time. I mean, I as somebody that works in physical media, I dream of being able to start a label and hearing hearing that story of just yeah, nobody else is gonna do it. I got to go do it. I knew I had to talk to you. So this has been incredible and just appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: Thank you again for having me on.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully we'll chat again soon. Everybody, go go purchase from the link of description below. We'll see you next time. Thank you for listening to the Disconnected podcast. There's one big thing that you could do to help the show, and that is to leave a rating and review on the podcast service of your choice.
Speaker 4: Toss Times, Times, Times, tist, species, instats, don'ts
Speaker 5: Sho