Speaker 1: Out of the street corners. They scream. You knew it was coming. You've been waiting for this for months, rumor hardened into fear, and now they scream at you, the sirens, their hysterical wail, tearing through the white noise of the city, and you run. You run to pick up those things that can never be replaced, a picture of them in the days when they still loved you, your mother's wedding ring. And then you turn to your shelf of games. You only have room for five. Five Games for Doomsday. Five Games for Doomsday is a show in which board game personalities are thrust into a cabin in the woods to outrun an oncoming disaster, but can only take five of their games with them. But which will they choose? My guest this week is a legend in the gaming industry. A former systems analyst for Boeing, he formed a company named after his role playing guild that would become and still remains, one of the most significant names in hobby gaming. This company was Wizards of the Coast, who would publish Magic the Gathering and acquire tactical Studies, rules, and publish Dungeons and Dragons. After leaving WATSA. After the acquisition by Hasbro, he would go on to buy gen Con. My guest this week is Peter Adkisson. Peter, Welcome to the cabin.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you for having me. What a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: So my first question is how difficult was it for you to pick the five games to take to the cabin.
Speaker 2: Well, I was. It wasn't too hard. I had to think about, like, you know, I asked like, who's going to be there? I asked you, who's going to be in the cabin? You know? Is that my wifer is at my war gaming buddy, you know, and he's like, well, whoever you want or something like that.
Speaker 1: The premise is very thin, Peter, I could tell you that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So I figured I had to take some Diversity and replayability were the two things that I was concerned with. Diversity in terms of having different types of games for different types of people that I might find in the cabin. And I don't know how long I'm going to be there with only five games, So I wanted games that I feel I could play many times and really be happy with them.
Speaker 1: So let's go back to the beginning then, So when did you first realize that you were a gamer?
Speaker 2: Well, good question. I you know, my family played games. I mean not the types of games that we think it was gameing, you like hobby games. But as you know, I grew up in in sort of the environment like, hey, gaming is something you do, and it was things like peanutle and hearts and you know, you know, aggravation and monopoly and games like that. And then so I didn't really identify and didn't even wasn't aware sort of the wonderful world of war games and eventually euro games and all this sort of stuff like that that came as as I was a teenager, and immediately, like as soon as I was exposed to that world, like okay, this is where I need to really, you know, this is me, this is home, this is my dribe.
Speaker 1: And when you get an email from you, your your signature says peace love and wargames Are war games your first love?
Speaker 2: Do you think I think in terms of hobby games? Yeah, My the gateway drug was risk and from there I discovered Avalon Hill Games. This would be in the nineteen early nineteen seventies, and that you know, that was a hobby game industry at the time that miniatures, which were even harder to find, you know, like war were miniatures. So and then I kind of went on a forty year side quest into rgs and magic the gathering and board games were always there, you know, I just was never something I was fanatical about. I always liked board games, but and so recently, it was about a year ago I decided to go back. You know, it's like, hey, war games, I really want to go back into war games. And so I did. And the piece love war games. I just kind of liked the sort of the inherent conflict and the idea of peace of love and war games because I think that, you know, if you're a war gamer and you're honest about it and you're you're a good guy, there's always a little part of You're like, why am I spending all this time thinking about people killing each other? You know? And I don't really have a good answer for that. I'm okay with it. I know that it's just all fake, it's all pretend, and that I'm a good guy. But yeah, I like war games. Can you explain it to me? I don't know.
Speaker 1: So you went on then to study computer science? Why that?
Speaker 2: Well, I started off in history, to be honest, and I knew two people who have PhDs in history. One of them was working at a hospital and the other one was a janitor. You know, I love history, but you know, I want to be able to have a good income, you know, to support my family and do things. You know, I want enough money to support my family and have something left over to go and do fun things on top of that. So I thought, you know, how about computers. Yeah, let's let's try that. And so I was never I was never passionate about computers. I was okay at it. I mean, you know, I studied it, did did fine with it. But I just did it because I wanted to have a marketable skill.
Speaker 1: And so you you went on to have a job but one of America's most famous companies, Boeing. What was it that you did that?
Speaker 2: I you know, I love my time at Boeing. It was fantastic. I worked Boeing has you know, people think Boeing to think of airplanes, but Boeing is also very active in like rockets and aerospace and satellites and stuff like this. And I worked in that. I worked in that part of Boeing and It was a I was in a study group would study do studies for NASA and for the Air Force relating to space transportation, which is just a kind of fancy word for how do you get stuff up into space? You know, you know, that's what it's really about. And with my computer degree, I was there as a programmer and they called me a system's analyst, which I didn't mind because it was actually a better title in terms of conversations and stuff. So, but I was basically writing code, and I specifically this was pretty cool. I look back and like, wow, that was a cool job. I was writing code to to simulate the ground operations, you know, the ground of a launch vehicle, like like the place where you build a launch vehicle, like a vertical integration building or a mobile launcher platform, the launch pad, refurbishment centers and stuff like this. And so I would get input of what a projected scenario for delivering payloads into orbit, and I would model what sort of ground operations facilities and how long it would take up to build them and operate them to support that scenario. And it was kick ass.
Speaker 1: And during it was during that time that you formed Wizards of the Coach what is the story behind that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we know, you know, I had an RPG. I was deep, deep into dungeons and dragons back in those days. And we had actually, me and some of my buddies had actually thought about starting a game company, and way back in college, you know, so like several years earlier, like at least five or six years earlier, and when the idea sprang from, we were opening up a judge's guilt supplement called the Invincible the City State Invincible Overlord or something like that, and we were looking through it, and my buddy Terry's like, you know, we could do this, you know, we could create something like this. And we were all like, yeah, that's a a great idea. And then I'm like, maybe we should finish college first, you know, just for the hell of it, right, And so but I never let go of that idea, and we finished college. We kind of went our separate ways, and I ended up in Seattle working at Boeing, and that seed had been planted, you know, and one day I just told my asked my buddy Ken who was there at that first meeting, and say, hey, why don't we do this. Let's let's let's start this company and do it on the side, you know, And so we did that. Wasn't that conversation happened in nineteen ninety and we uh and we got our buddy friends together and we just sort of re it was to do role playing games. It wasn't to do magic theatering. I hadn't met I had not met Richard Garfield yet, and we sort of reversed engineered the process of holding up a role playing book, like, how did they make this? What did they do? Oh, somebody had to type it up, somebody to do art, stuff like that. So we didn't even think about what it was like to sell it. We're just like, uh, yeah, And so we just started doing it. And I mean it sounds like we did it on a lark, but I took it very seriously. From as soon as they decided to do it, I started taking it very seriously. I continued working at Boeing for the next three years. But yeah, I did this on the side, and of course I met Richard and we would magic and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: So your first game then is intimidating, and it's a game that I've often thought of maybe trying to play. And then I think about it for another second and I just say, I'm not sure I have the intellectual capacity for it. And this is Advanced Squad Leader, So why are you taking ASL to the cabin.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you gotta there's a war game inside of me, right, So it's like I I one more game. Had had to be on the list, absolutely at least one, and you know, I just wanted something with a lot of playability. I mean ASLs best squad leader or squad leader, and you know either one does don't really matter. Has you know, it's tactical combat World War two, and there's just an endless supply of scenarios that you can play with that, and it's it's it's gone deep into all the different types of all the theaters of operation, all the different types of things amphibious landings or you know, gorilla action or you know the street fighting in Stalingrad or or or what have you, any anything, So it's just it's just the variety. And then there's something very tactically engaging about like, Okay, I've got a military force. What's in the force, what's the train? Like, what are the objectives? And then what's the force? The other side has and you know, setting it up, you know, push start pushing counters around. It just never gets tiring, you know. It's it's not like playing, oh, let's play the Battle of the Bulge. It's just the Battle of the Bulge every time, you know, instead of this time. It's it's just the wide variety of the stuff you can do with that game.
Speaker 1: And So how significant would you say as L's in the world of wall games.
Speaker 2: I think it's quite It is certainly very significant. I mean it is Is it the most significant game? I don't even know how can major those things, but you know it first of all, it has a long pedigree. It goes clear back to I don't know, nineteen clearly in the nineteen seventies is when it came out, and and it is and it's never died. I mean, like there's a lot of games that came out in the sixties and seventies and you play them and they're like, that's a little long in the tooth, you know, But you could play Original Squad Leader scenario one, set it up, and it holds its own here, you know, fifty years later. You know, it's just very very well designed. It came right out of a miniature you know, it started its roots are a miniatures gaming. It was a World War two tactical combat thing. So yeah, what other game has that pedigree in the work aiming? Uh? Nothing, nothing does and so uh and and I know, and certainly the genre has been tackled by many different designers, and there's other good ones. I also love Combat Commander is an excellent game that actually designed in this century, and same genre World War two, same scale, tactical combat. And and they're both they're both fantastic, you know.
Speaker 1: And so then there are people listening to this who will have played ASL, but there will be many people like me who are curious about ASL but are intimidated by it. Should we be? Yeah, I mean, thank you for the eldestizza.
Speaker 2: I mean that's the fun too. I mean that's I mean, I got it, Okay, I will confess I the complexity of these games is a feature, not a bug for me. I love like, Okay, this game is going to be really complicated, and I'm gonna have to spend some time to understand it and play it. And I think that's that's cool. If it holds up, If the complexity is rewarding in that you feel like that it gives you a richness that it's not just for complexity's sake, right, And that's what I think ASL fits that criteria. I mean, there are other games, I a World of War, the OCS system, I'll just not quite that complex. But I mean I think the complexity is yeah, but there are gateways into it. There are starter ASL, there are starter kits. I also, you know, to be honest, I said ASL, I actually primarily play the original squad leader across environment. But I figured, hey, if it's doomsday and I might be there for you know, it might be stuck in the cabin for a early long time, maybe it's time to take the plunge and really transition into ASL.
Speaker 1: I want to I want to go now more into Wizards of the Coast. So Richard Garfield, who some of the listeners might have heard of in this listening to this podcast, he approached you with a game that he is that he's a classic robo rally, and you told him it was too expensive to produce and could he come up with something cheaper.
Speaker 2: What was the result of that, Yeah, Well, you know we had I started Wizards of the Coast to do RPG stuff, and not even an RPG design, but like just you know, you know, like a system independent sort of supplements, you know, like campaigns and stuff and uh. And the thing about that stuff is it's just a book. And so we spent quite a bit of time just trying to figure how to make a book. And so Richard comes over this, you know, some missus game for us to published robt rally and this is a board game that you know would be in terms of components are not outstanding by today's major but for me as an RPT publisher, and eighteen ninety one, that would have been I'm saying, oh my god, I gotta I gotta make a map a board, and I got to make a box, and I got to make miniature robots or something like that and different and and a book on top of all that. Right, So, and you know, board games had a respectable position to market those days, but nothing like they are now in terms of a magnitude of And so I just like, I I like this game, and if I was a board game publisher, I would definitely want to publish this game because it's cool. I don't think it's going to set the world on fire, you know, Like I don't think if I'm going to get into board games, I don't know that this is a game that's that I you know, I don't know that I'm ready for that challenge. And I said, I just want something easier, you know, and he's like, you know is Richard's response was like, well, what would you like? I will design anything you want, which I love that response, you know. And I and so I said, well, how about a card game? I mean, just just just cards, no other components, no, no, no, no, just cards, you know, some of you put in your pocket. And because I thought, you know, printing that's printing on paper basically just like a book, but just smaller pieces of paper, right, and laminated and stuff like that, and and so, but I really want to make it clear to anybody that's listening and might be hearing his story for the first time, I am not taking any credit for the real innovation of the game, which was way beyond just a typical card game. I mean, I was just thinking of something like you know, Heart's Poker or whatever, but the different heart. And so I don't want to steal any credit from Richard. It was his entirely his brainchild to what magic gathering is.
Speaker 1: And so you know magic the gathering happens. We know Richard Garfield as Richard Garfield. You could never go back in time. So all of us listening to this know Richard Garfield as the inventor of magic. Richard Garfield, the great think of the great innovator. And the listeners can can have a drink.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm writing a book at the moment, and it's astonishing. I'm writing a book on the twenty first century in games. It's astonishing how many people in this century were inspired by magic. But what was Richard like at the time, you know, before he'd really had anything published, as he was pitching magic to you right, well.
Speaker 2: You know, he was still a student at the time. He was in his last year, I think are very close to his last year, and he wasn't aspiring to be a game designer at all, and not professionally, right, He was aspiring to be a mathematics professor, you know. And he was a math student and he was very smart, very slupbull. But Richard is also very playful and a bit mischievous, you know, like somebody who will play a prank on someone, but careful not to like try to really embarrass or get them in trouble or hurt them or in any sort of way, you know. Just and so he has a clever playfulness to him and a silliness you know about him too, like wearing mismatched colored socks, which he's famous for, you know. And and he used to carry He'll be he'd be in a board moon meeting. It was much later, but he would have done this then too. This is you know, taking a spoon, you know how you take a spoon and kind of balance it from your nose, you know, like that. And he would he carry around a little horn, like a little bicycle horn every once in a while. So he'd say something and it'd be kuind of a quiet and he goes, you know, off the horn. You know. That's that's who Richard was. He was very modest because you know, he was uh, it was just nice, you know, not always super talkative. Sometimes I have run into people who thought that Richard was aloof for arrogant, and boy, that is that is not fair at all. He but he sometimes is just kind of quiet and like doesn't feel like, oh there's some silence in a room, I need to fill it by talking.
Speaker 1: I mean, shyness can often come across as a loof right.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, But I wouldn't even say it's shy. I think he's he can be quiet. He can be like, Okay, there's a conversation here, and I don't feel like I have, you know, something interesting enough to say it, So let's let somebody else talk, you know, and then like he you know again, going later on in board meetings, So he was the largest shareholder was the Coast because they brought us magic, of course, and he would he was always on the board of directors, and oftentimes he would go an entire meeting without hardly ever saying anything, and then when he would say something, it would be profound, you know, like even the business guys sitting at the table were like, eh, interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I often take the opposite tack, which is throw as much against the wall as possible and hope that something sticks. And it really does so obviously, so obviously, you know it's been told a thousand times. He brings you magic, magic becomes magic. People are paying ludicrous amounts of money for black loads and all of that sort of stuff. But how did this change your life? Was it at this point that you stopped being a systems analyst of Boeing and became what's the CEO full time?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I when Magic came out in nineteen ninety three, it it kind of trickled into the market with a little things, and then the alaunch was at gen Con. That was our official launch Magic, and it went really really well, and we had we sold. We had no idea how much to take we sold, and we didn't actually sell everything we had at the at the booth, and so we had some much or but distributors who were there heard about it and saw the excite of it and all came and they all came and bought everything we had left. So by the end of the show, we had sold out everything we'd taken to the show. And I'm sorry, I have no idea how much that was. I don't so but then I you know, I flew home to Seattle and the next day I went in and told my boss up Boweing, that's it. I'm out of here, you know. So it was three years that I was doing my day job at Boeing and moonlighting as the CEO was the the Coast, and so when I told my boss I was quitting, he was really excited because he had invested.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So then then it was yeah, changing, I mean, it was so thankful, thankful for the you know, the prosperity of being able to publish a great game and have it, you know, have the company take off and be super successful. And of course that I was able to get an income better than I was making and boeing in the income that I could up of working going and also that the company was making up money that I wasn't having to pay a lot of company's bills, you know, And so that was there was just so wonderful to focus on this one thing, you know, and not really worry. I mean, you're always worried about money when you're running a business, but there's a difference between worried about you know, or do you have enough to eat and pay rent? Versus like, wow, am I really maximizing when you turn on an investment for the shareholders? Those are different levels of worry. So it was nice to just be able to sink into playing the game of running Wizards of the Coast.
Speaker 1: And so I think it's undeniable that Magic changed the world to a greater or lesser degree. I mean, as I say so many designers. I was speaking to Mark Herman, the war game designer, and he says he based the card driven system on Magic just one thing, for instance, which which blew my mind because they seemed very different concept.
Speaker 2: You know, I would love to meet Mark Hervis someday, I think as well.
Speaker 1: I was with him at a convention this this spring, and he's he's a very nice.
Speaker 2: Guy, that's what I've heard.
Speaker 1: And and also you know it, it has gone on to keep the brick and mortar store kind of a float over the last twenty years. Were you surprised that Magic changed the world in the way it did, because I guess you can never foresee that kind of success.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh? Absolutely. We were just hoping for you know, we just we just like, okay, this is doing really well. Hey, we can quit our day jobs and do this full time. I mean, that was like our dream of house. That's the goal, right, That's that's the goal, Like just get to where we can be self employed in this in this industry. The fact that it was so much more than that, of course, we couldn't have anticipated that, and we were always worried it was going to crash, you know, We're always worried that it was just a bubble and there was a bad and what's going to happen when people move on from I think started doing something else. It's not that we lacked faith, and I mean we we certainly knew Magic was a great game, and we enjoyed Magic ourselves. But you just, you know, when you're being pragmatic as an entrepreneur, you're always thinking about like when's the other shoe going to drop? You know, when when's when things gonna uh turn differently? You know. And and in the nineties, you know, the threat was, you know, computer games, why these computer games are getting so good? And then especially things like a request where you can play online with other people and the graphics, like how do board games going to card games whatever? How's it? How are we going to compete with that? Right? And there was a genuine worry that, you know, within ten years nobody would be playing tabletop games at all, and thank god we couldn't be from the truth, you know.
Speaker 1: And so how long was it that Richard was the sole designer on Magic? When did you start recruiting new people to come in and design com.
Speaker 2: Oh, actually that was baked in with Richard. Okay, so the the original Magic R and D he used a Boeing term, and you know, the game design and development staff at Wizards at least for Magic to gathering and all of our training card games eventually and so on. The heart and soul of those of that group were all people that Richard went to school with. And because when Richard when he designed Magic and started playtesting Magic, he was still a university student at the University of Pennsylvania working out his mathematics PhD. And so the people that he and he was he wasn't one of these designers don't understand the value of playtesting. He he lives, He thrives the playtesting. He thrives with showing his game to other people and getting feedback. And he's tough. He can take the you know, whatever the critique is and analyze it. And so who better than a whole bunch of people who are at a in advanced degrees in hard science as any university. And so it's like, you know, physics students and chemistry students and mathematics students and attorney you know, tax attorney even worse, you know, just all these and so when he came over, Magic took off. We just started hiring some of those people in with us as developers. But then, you know, there's a fine line, and some people just want to be designers or just want to be developers, but of course a lot of people can do both, right, So a lot of these developers were natural choices to design sets, and Magic lent itself so well to that, because you know, there's one thing with magictery gathering comes out in its original form, but everything since then has been an expansion to Magic gathering, right and building on the original, and so it lent itself to being able to open the doors to other people to put their creativity into the game. And so yeah, that's that's how that all happened.
Speaker 1: Well, your next game is Magic, and one thing that is the I think the usp to Magic. I work in a board game shop and I see people's sort of reaction when they open a bootstore, and this is rarity. Tell us about how you came up with rarity, why you came up with rarity, and if you think that that is an important factor in magic subtraction?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's you know, that's first all, it's all Richard. You know, I didn't personally, and so the rarity, you know, it was people won't believe me, you know, I know people don't believe me when I say this. There's some people do, but not. But like, it was never about trying to get people to buy more, you know, it was it was just about how to make cards special and how to add variety to the game. Like there's some common cards, Well, you need lots of land cards, just basic things, you know, like bears and wild growth and you know whatever, you know, just sort of the we recognize that there are many cards that are just kind of the fundamental building blocks of having a magic deck, and then there should be these cards that are weird special. Richard actually saw you know, a lot of the rare cards. You you shouldn't want too many of those in your deck. You know, they're too weird, right, I mean, sure, maybe some of them, but you know, like a Chevan Dragon, Okay, it's a great card, but it's expensive, you know. I mean, if you draw a couple of those in your opening hand, you're like, I wish I had, you know, goblins instead, And so I think it was just I don't think it was anything more complicated than that, just sort of recognizing that different cards should be more common or less common in other cards, and that it would be fun to be Like Richard, we never anticipated it would be so big like and so Richard's vision for magic, the way he described it to me back in those days, was that it is funny because we're there now. We have been for a while, but in nineteen ninety three is unfathomably He's imagine that magic there's so many cards. An ideal world, there would just be so many cards that you've you been playing a game and somebody plays a card on the table. You've never seen it before, and so you read the card and find out what it does. And you know, at the time, we couldn't imagine that, like, well, yeah, okay, that's if you're an avid magic player. There's only a few hundred of them. You're going to see all the cards. I mean, now we're there, It is kind of like and so rarity. There's rarity in terms of ravers of common and uncommon, but there's just rarity in terms of like the lifespan of magic has been around long enough that cards like when I play magic. I sometimes play Magic at conventions and I take old cards, not because they're I don't take like really expensive cards, you know, But I'm just talking about like I took all the pre constructed decks that Magic the Wizards made for Magic in the nineties, and I have one of each of those decks, and I take them in a suitcase, mister suitcase, and I take them and I play them, and people love it because most people are like, oh yeah, I never say, oh ice Age, Oh here's four decks that feature ice Age or Ursasaga or tempest or whatever. And I think that's the beauty of the rarity is the and it's also circles back to your question, why would I choose magic the Gathering to take with me is because there's so much variety, and there's so there's just so much of it.
Speaker 1: A lot of people choose this because frankly, it's cheating, because you could just take all of magic and then you've got a game for the for the rest of the apocalypse.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, Yeah, I cheated too. Yeah. I was thinking about that too. I mean, asl is the same way, right, Okay, probably the scenario where you're dashing off with with a bundle of things under your arms. Okay, you're not taking the entire Magic collection and every ASL expansion, et cetera. So yeah, I cheated along with the best of them.
Speaker 1: And so you know, how long did it take for the secondary market market to kick off? And when you see the prices of some cars, does it make your eyes water? Well?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I don't. I well, I water. I don't know if you mean out of sadness or out of joy, but neither one.
Speaker 1: I mean just pure incredulity.
Speaker 2: I think incredulity. Yeah, yeah, that's I think that's that's part of it. Yeah, I saw it's it is. You know, we we never wanted magic to be out of reach of people, right, and so we when magic started becoming very quickly, like Magic comes out in nineteen ninety three, within six months, people are hoarding cards and it's hard to find. And it takes us a year and a half from when Magic cames out. It wasn't until Fallen Empires that we got to our goal of magic, that that the latest expansion would be available at ms RP at retail for like three months. That was our state of goal, like we want when you come out with a new set, we don't we want you to be able to buy it at ms RP. It's the opposite of wanting this crazy price uh inflation. We never wanted that, now we do. It's wonderful that people want to collect cards, and we certainly want to, you know, wanted to accommodate collectors to some extent. But it was always gamers first, you know, and if the uh so now, uh yeah, yeah, it wasn't. It wasn't about these crazy prices. But you know, it is nice that some people who made investments good and have been able to It is heartwarming when somebody tells me I sold my magic collection from the nineties and bought a house, you know, like first set my kids to college, and like wow, I mean, okay, that is that's great, that's wonderful.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk now about what C and D and D because for me, as a D and D player, I actually only started playing D and D fifth edition, and so what C and D and D have always been inextricably linked for me? How did you end up buying TSR and was the sort of completion of a circle for you?
Speaker 2: Very much completion of a circle in that I started, you know, the I mean, I started with war games in terms of my personal love, but I started with the coast to do RPG stuff, and that's where I thought the market was. That was my passion, my primary passion at the time in the world of games was RPGs. And we actually and we published some RPG stuff before Magic Tellaslan Order, and we continued even after Magic came out with the like every Way and some other things. But we realized that we were not It wasn't a good place for us to be competing, and that it was in that in those days, RPGs were such a small sector in terms of economics, in terms of dollars compared to Magic, that it just wasn't worth our time to be in it. And I made the statement, you know, when I closed down our RPG department, I said, okay, I you know, if we can't have the number one brand in this category, we shouldn't be in it. Well, they're not. Later we had the opportunity to get the number one brand. So the only the reason we had the opportunity was that the TSR fell on hard times as an independent company. Ben Riggs. By the way, it's written a great book about this, uh and John Peters has written articles about it as well, about the history and it. Uh. Yeah, and you know, they were basically on the verge of bankruptcy. They needed somebody to buy them. They were in a cash to the lockdown and it was ended up having I ended up having that opportunity, which was absolutely wonderful and thanks to Ryan Nancy who opened that door. And so it was like a full circle. It was like, wow, this is what we got in got into doing. I love magic, really happy. You know. Magic was a wonderful consolation prize if you will. I mean that's now, you know, in terms of you started off doing RPGs and had you know, did something else. So it was so that's how it happened.
Speaker 1: And so you know, you were a player, and I assume you started playing D and D when you were young, and D and D is this very cool thing that you do as a kids, and he opens you up to whole new worlds and new ways of creativity and storytelling. Was it just playing bloody weird to think I owned this now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god. Yeah, it was so surreal, you know, to go to Lake Geneva and to buy a company, and it's just weird, I mean, buying a company, Like how how do you do that? What you do with a bunch of money? And it feels kind of awkward, you know, and like, I don't I deserve this aside from the fact that I just happened to have a bunch of money and can make it happen. But I also knew that I was saving a lot of people's jobs and saving a game that a lot of people really loved, and many people thank me for that over the years. So I knew that we were doing a very noble thing in addition to a very smart thing economically, you know, with our money. And but yeah, it was very hard, Like the morning that the deal was done. You know, we went and sign documents at Lorraine, the previous owner's place, the night before and the next morning, okay, so she meets me at the company, you know, and hand me the keys literally here's the keys of the building. And I sent in the car before I went in to see her and just cried. I mean, like, I'm like, what am I doing. I was raised on a farm and Idaho, you know, Yeah, it was very emotional and weird.
Speaker 1: And so, as far as I know, Gary Gox wasn't there at that time. Dave Hoison kind of was only there right at the beginning as far as I know. I mean, what was your relationship with those guys, Like, after you bought it, did you consult with them? Did you speak to them? What were their feelings on that acquisition?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, we did. I did know Dave and Gary outside of all this through gaming, but only briefly, you know. And of course, when I became interested in in acquiring D and D and kind of the word got out that I might be, then they were both uh. You know. In fact, I got to make have a really nice series of game sessions with Gary guy because he lived in Lake Geneva still and so uh. And so when in the process of acquiring both before the deal was done and after the deal was done, I was going out to Lake Dania, spending a lot of time there. And you know, it can be kind of awkward. You're buying a company. You don't go out, you know, you don't go hang out with the employees. You know, as much as you might like to and wish you could, it's just too awkward. And probably inappropriate for some legal reasons. And so you know. So, so Gary actually gave me a call. He said, hey, you know you want somebody game with, come on over. So I went over and played. Uh. We played war games together. I'm playing Battle of the Bullets actually, and we played U D Day and and UH Africa or some of the old classic Alan Hill games. And I didn't know Dave as much, but I met him a couple of times. But then then I had a you know, after the deal was done, I had a business reason to spend them. I certainly wanted their warm wishes. I was worried about I'll be honest, I wasn't. I didn't feel like it was the right thing to try and recruit them in some way, you know. I just felt that well, selfishly, perhaps I just want to put my own stamp on the game and thought that I knew better maybe in them, or you know, just I have my own opinions about how the game should go. And uh, but I wanted there. I was hoping for their endorsement, and they did endorse it. They we got the two of them on stage together, UH for at gen Con. I remember exactly what year, but it's either the year renounced D and D third edition or the year we published it. I can't remember which. And I also wanted a There was a lot of legal disputes and some open lawsuits, some legal actions between various you know, between various parties related to all this, and so I wanted a clean bill of health on the intellectual property. So I went and went to Gary and Dave and a couple other people and just paid them a bunch of money to sign over just a statement of varying that we owned property entirely and blah blah blah. So that was I think that was a good thing. I mean, it certainly a good thing for me. I think it was a good thing for them too, because they certainly weren't getting money from TSR.
Speaker 1: So yeah, And so then you know, you're in a position where you are the originat sort of magic, which by this time is probably the biggest hobby board game in the world, certainly the biggest CCG, and and you owned D and D, which you know is at this time legendary. People of my age remember the cartoon and all of that sort of stuff. Where was wats then at this time? Were they the pinnacle of hobby publishing.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say we were certainly in competition for it, you know. I I think that it kind of depends on how you value companies and look at stuff. But Games Workshop was a pretty close uh to to us in terms of size and magnitude. In fact, they were actually a public companies I think probably still are. I don't don't keep track of things, but so it wasn't like we were alone. And also depending on your on which year you pick, you know, at some point and whether or not you want to include you know, you Gil and Pokemon in in as hobby games. Uh, you know, at some point Pokemon passed us up, you know and became a bigger company than was the Coast and know and stuff. So but there was certainly, you know, we certainly have you know, felt happy that we were, you know, in that stratosphere if you will.
Speaker 1: So you next game means dungeons and drugons And we've talked about the business, so we don't need to we don't need to dwell on the business. Let's talk about the game. So what's your favorite class to play? Oh?
Speaker 2: My god? So okay, well, come on, man, a wizard of course of course, yeah, totally. Seriously, I like playing. I mean I liked it more in earlier editions back I mean now, I mean, okay, all the every edition is good. Okay, every edition of D and D is great and wonderful, fabulous. Firstly, I preferred it back when Wizards were the only ones that were casting the spells, or most most of the spells, you know, the magic spells. They are not the healing stuff, right, So now it seems like everybody's a spellcaster, and so it feels, uh so my preference playing you know, a early edition wizard. Modern editions, Yeah, I think kind of doesn't matter. They're all kind of yeah, everybody do everything.
Speaker 1: But it's one of those things like I've never played the early editions, but I hear that Wizards are essentially one hit killable, a level one. I mean, how do you deal with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, it's wonderful, man, It's it was this idea. Yeah yeah, I mean, you were a first of a wizard. You had one spell. It was probably asleep. Although if you're fighting Goblin Stuf, sleep's pretty good or magic missile or something, and the party protects you because the party can't do what you can do you know the things that you can do, like if you know read, you know readmagic, nobody else can do that, you know. And so there's certain spells that that you alone have that the party is going to need. So the party protects you. And that was a very special dynamic and early D and D. And yeah, you're right, you don't, you know, protect the wizard? What's the comedy? But and so you are the weakest character in the party, but as time goes on, eventually you're the most powerful character in the party, right And and I you know, I think Jonathan I always like this about it. But Jonathan Tweet, who's lead designer and third edition we had, you know, he you know, he brought me around and they know, you know, a better game design would be at every level all the classes are balanced with each other, like okay, boring, but you're probably.
Speaker 1: And so then what kind of D and D do you like? So when I run D and D, I'm very vibes based. I'm not very rules based. I like to tell a story. I'm far too nice to my players. What are you? Are you someone who likes the tactic call the sort of war gaming aspect of D and D or are you more of a storyteller.
Speaker 2: I like trying to both, you know. I my favorite edition these days is Shadow Dark. I think. I think it's really brilliant. I think, uh, Kelsey did an amazing job of that, and and that is it has. I like the old school field of things. I love the old school D and D. I know it's almost a mantra now, but I like that feel of danger and the importance of tactics and uh and a lot of combat. I like that. But I was also never a fan of how clude you the system was, and I think, uh, I think that so I I like having a combat heavy, drama heavy, you know, on the verge of death, you know, trying to you know, crawl your way through there, you know, through the dungeon, unlimited resources and and barely escaping to tell the tale. And it's it's hard to push it to that without accidentally, you know, killing. I don't really actually want any player characters to die, but I want them to feel like they could and be worried about it.
Speaker 1: The threats of death has to be real, right, otherwise it's pointless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that threat of death has to be real and and it has to be strong enough. I mean, and and so I mean once in a while, you know it's going to happen, and and it's always sad what it does, but at the same time, it's crucial for the enjoyment of everybody else, for the for the long term of the of the campaign. So but I never liked how cluegy a lot of the early edition rules were, and so one of the reasons I like Shadow Dark is it it? It's I think Kelsey went through it and grabbed the best bits out of every single additionally edition of D and D and then ruthlessly cut out all the crap. And uh so that's that's what I play now.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk now about your the end of your time at Watson and gen Con. So why did you leave Wizards of the Coast.
Speaker 2: Well, I have that weird sort of entrepreneurial thing of like, you know, you start a company and eventually you move on. I get. I think part of it was that Wizards stopped being real interesting for me after D and D, in the sense that the company got big enough that it's it was hard to you know, entertain launching new games because you've got a business, you know, You've got Pokemon and Magic, which are both several hundred million dollars revenue businesses, and you have D and D, which D and D is a tens of millions dollar business, which is small compared to the other two. And so like, I have a company at running a company that where D and D is the small product, and I'm having trouble having it get all the attention I wanted to get. Although it's doing you know, we're doing well, but you launched anything new? What you know, how do you do that? Like? And you know, and I really wanted to be able to be publishing doing new things all the time. And I just I don't feel like I could do this. And I was also just as an entrepreneur, we're you know, thinking about things like return on investment and maximizing shareholder value and all this sort of stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I had to respect the fact that all the shareholders of Wizards of the Coast in the nineties, a few of them were investors, but for the most part, it was all sweat equity. It was all all the people who built the company, and every employee had had shares of stock and Wizards of the Coast and so when Wizards got really big, people are like getting out the calculators and looking up, you know, how do you value this company? My stock worth right, and realizing that, wow, hey, I'm a millionaire. But and then to go down and try and buy a house, you can't buy a house with it. And so it's just on paper. It's like, you know, unless you can convert this ownership into cash, it doesn't mean anything. And so I felt that there was I just felt it. I was definitely there were people had stock were saying, Peter, come on, let's sell the company or take on a big investor or something, buy a bunch of people out or something like that. So we we the message was clear by around nineteen ninety eight that we had to have some sort of what they call a liquidity event where you make the stock liquid, you know, sellable for the shareholders. So that was the primary driver. But personally I was okay with it because you know, there was I was curious about doing something else too, And I also liked the idea of like quit while you're on top.
Speaker 1: Man, you know, and so then why gen con.
Speaker 2: Well, uh, you know, after I left, you know, after I sold Wizards to Hasbro. I stayed on there for about a year and a half, and then after I left that, you know, suddenly I was unemployed and I was too young to not be working, and it was very much like, well, what do I want to do next? And don't want to start in a company whatever. And I told my successor at Wizards as a part of Hasbro, I said, you know, at some point, Hasbro is going to want to sell some of the different parts of this company. You know, you should think of me as a potential buyer because I know the company really well, so I might be interested. And so sure enough, at some point I got the call and said, yeah, you were right, Peter. We're selling off four different business groups of of Wizards, and you know, would you be interested in any of them? One was the magazines, one was the online store, one was the brick and mortar stores, because some people remember the Wizards had a change. We bought a chain of retailers and in the nineties, uh uh and and gen Con and so gen Con, Oh my god, I mean to me, you know, when we bought TSR, it's like, yeah, we bought d D And I'd always like yeah, and gen Con. By the way, because even though it was much bigger now, it was then it was, you know, the biggest game company around, at least in the US market. And so, uh well, send me the financials. I was pretty sure, just based on my own memory, that it was a profitable business. And uh so they sent me the financials and we did a deal, and I loved it because it put me after a year of not having a job. I felt, wow, I'm not connected to the gaming industry. I'm used to having this position of prominence in the games and being relevant, and now I'm not relevant, and so acquiring gen Con, uh me, it gave me a place in tabletop game, a professional place in the gaming industry that I was missing. Didn't realize I would miss when I sold off Watzy.
Speaker 1: And you know, as you said, gen Con is now huge. It is. There's always the big argument which one's bigger, essenal gen Con, but it's definitely one of the two biggest analog gaming conventions in the world. And this was achieved under your stewardship. How did you achieve that? How did you change gen Con to make it this huge institution?
Speaker 2: You know, I I wish I had a real like you know, gen Con is a very logistical sort of organization. Running a convention is it's almost a trap to in to do it as as like you don't if you get too creative. It's almost a bad thing to do. I mean, like, really, what you want to focus on is you want to focus on the operations. And that's what we did. It was like, Okay, we've got it. We've got to have a really kick ass registration system. We've got to have the right city because Milwaukee was not the right city. We need to have the right venue contracts in place, the right hotel contracts in place. We need to organize around how do we do this. We need to have really good people in all the positions, the important positions of the company. Uh So it's not a very sexy answer, but that is the answer. That's that's what we did. We we just took what was already an absolutely wonderful show and and and it was the biggest in the US. Yeah okay, esson who knows, but and uh uh, and we just we just doubled down on it. And I I also had the a very strong interest in wanting spectacle, like what what can we do? This is kind of exception all the logistics stuff, but like in addition to all that, is there something we can do that is just really special that you can't do anywhere else. And I met Jeff martin True Dungeon, and I saw that. I invited him to bring True Dungeon to gen Con and for a long time comes in a place you could play True Dungeon. And so that was like a huge sort of spect I think that was an important part of it. It was certainly our best selling event for many many years, probably still is, you know, and doing things like like those opportunities. Sometimes you have these opportunities we're like, oh, hey, we could make a spectacle out of this, Like when grabbing the stadium, Like when we got really big, we say, hey, what if we rent out the Colts Stadium Football stadium is right next door and just like have space for gaming on the on the grid iron, right, you know. And so and then that year that we did that was also the fiftieth anniversary of gen Con, and so we did a big fifty of gen Con sort of thing, and we built a museum. John Peterson, Paul Storenberg and Bill Mainhart helped me do this. We effectively created a Tabletop Gaming History exhibit there, and we built a facade of the Horticultural Hall in Lake Geneva, which is where the first gen Con was held with fifty attendees back in nineteen sixty seven or sixty eight. Always get confused which one was. That's some very embarrassing to me, And that was right on the fifty yard line of the stadium, you know, So I think that, And then you know, just you know, being being a good salesman and talking to all your exhibitors and like appreciating them and loving them and loving all the attendees and playing lots of games, you know, And that sort of thing always comes naturally for me because I love playing games, I love hanging out with gamers, and I love, you know, showing my appreciation to all the people that come to my show.
Speaker 1: So your next game, and he's a sort of it's from a Leviathan of the eurogame world and it's one of his biggest games. And this is a feast for roading. So how good is Uve Rosenberg?
Speaker 2: I think it's amazing. You know. I don't know him personally, you know, so, I but I love, you know, I love the work replacement games that you know they I feel like he's like, if you think about the world of eurogames and stuff like that, he's like the guy that's running, that's carrying the ball straight up in the middle towards a touchdown. You know, he's like doing the hard work, you know, Agricola, Coverna, you know, fast for own. You know, just these are his games are absolutely fantastic. And I I could have picked one of several fields of r Oh my god, if I'm gonna be stuck in the cabin. But you know, for if I stuck in I can't say my wife, now, can I?
Speaker 1: But if I'm.
Speaker 2: But have the pleasure of my wife being there, it's optimized for two players fields of row. It's just amazed. So yeah, I think that he is. There's something sort of to me. His designs sort of define the central position of what. And I'm not a euro games expert. I'm saying this is kind of a euro Games dabbler. But I just I just love his games, you know.
Speaker 1: So you know, as you say, you're you know, you're a wold gamer, You're a role playing gamer, You're a thematic gamer. What is the joy for a thematic gamer? What is the joy of a good euro game.
Speaker 2: Well, the theme is still important for me, it is, I think maybe I can now I can see, you know, over to an adjacent space where somebody doesn't really care about the theme. I can see that. But for me, I like the theme. I like magic, the gathering. I never forget I'm a wizard dueling with you as a wizard, you know. Uh So the theme of you know, of developing your garden or running your biking clan, you know, you know. Uh, I think the theme is I don't know if it's important. It's certainly important to everybody, but I think it's important. It's certainly important to some of us, and it's very important to me. I love the theme of the game. It's very and I really enjoy the the aesthetics that have developed in gaming, you know, like it's basically a box of toys now, you know, and you know the beauty of tabletop games, you know, the higher end ones with lots of cool components and all that stuff like that. Yeah, I like that. It's nice.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk met about the future. So what are your plans for the future. As I know you've sold some of gen Con to our mutual friend Corey Thompson. Does that mean you're stepping back?
Speaker 2: Yes, I did. I retired from I haven't run Jencon directly for like a wow, fifteen years or stuff like that. So I for a long period of time, I was the chairperson of the board of directors, and which is there's for a long time four I had three other partners who are owners in the company, and so I am. But about a year ago I decided that I was going to step back and not even be the chairperson of the board anymore. And so Brian Lewis is doing that. He was I've known Brian forever. He was a general counsel, was the coast for back in the nineties for a while and stuff. So he is, he's chairing the board now. And I did sell some stock. My wife kind of suddenly decided that we were moving from a condominium which she owned uh in downtown Seattle, UH to to get out of the downtown area. And and so I said, well for moving out of downtown, I want a big house. Then, I mean, you know, I loved I loved living downtown. The reality is living that now you have to live in a condominium. We're apartmenting. Right, So so if we're gonna if we're gonna go out in the neighborhood, I'm gonna lose the joy of being downtown. What how do I make this? What am we gonna get? You know? What? What is it? What is going to be the improvement to offset the disappointment? And I for me, it was like, well, okay, if I if I can have a house, now I guess I guess we have to live in house. Let's make a big house. So yeah, so I sold about a quarter of my holdings in gen Con to uh Corey Thompson and John Peterson and use that to my house. So yeah, so we live in a house. And and I am even though I am the largest shareholder of gen Con, I just like, Okay, I don't want to I just I just want to think. I don't want to think that much about it anymore. I just really want to be able to well play more games.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I'd say, then, I think let's let's take modesty and put modesty in a box somewhere where it's not going to interrupt us for the next five minutes. When you think about your impact on the world of hobby games. How would you assess it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I yeah, I know, I try. You asked me to put modesty aside. That's hard to do because I really don't see myself as I see myself more lucky than good if you you know. I mean, I know it's a horrible thing to say, but you know, none of the things I've done would have happened if it would have been for Richard Garfield designing Magic the Gathering. I mean, you know, like, let's come on, you gotta be honest now, I'm I take pride and uh and I feel like I was a good steward for that game, you know, like like he you know, the idea for the game came based on a conversation he and I had, so I was there. I contributed to the thought process that that to whatever foundation of thinking had to happen for him to have the eureka idea to create Magic Gather. So I did contribute to that. I didn't know it at the time, but I've learned that designers work best if you give them a box to work inside of.
Speaker 1: Limitation is vital for creativity.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly, you have to I didn't know that, but you have to have when you have some parameters, you know. So by telling him I wanted a card game and it just had to be cards and nothing else, and that I thought I could get good deals on fantasy, science fiction and horror art because I was a participant in these. I would go to these fantasy, science fiction, horror conventions, literary conventions, and at a staple at these conventions was art shows. And I recognized that there was a lot of art being made and they had nowhere to sell it, really because there was a very limited market of people of businesses buying this type of art. There was you know, books like TSR and there were people publishing books, but you know, so covers of books, but even RPGs mostly just to cover mostly interior stuff was all black and white. So so Richard designs magic. And I'm flattered that he don't know how much of his obligation, feeling like he was obligated to let me published it since I contributed to the thought process there, or maybe he saw something in me that uh that he thought well, because I certainly wasn't an experienced businessman at the time, but I think he so. I So I always felt like I had to prove that he made a good choice. That was a driving force that I didn't want to disappoint Richard. I really wanted him to feel like he made a good choice by bringing that game to me. And so if I did anything well, it was I took that responsibility seriously and was at least competent enough of a businessman that that we published, we raised the money, got it out into distribution, and managed our way through several you know, the inevitable rocky situations that happened in the you know as in the tail of that, you know, like the market glutting and you know problem in international distribution, organized play, you know, repositioning the brand from I always felt that one of the proudest moments I had on behalf of the company I was managing. Like any company I've run, where like this a company does under my leadership, Sure, but us as a company get together and do something really difficult as a company not relying on just some creative smart was when we repositioned the brand of Magic the gathering from being a primarily a collectible and a speculation where people are speculating product to a organized play, a mental sport. The idea that we're going to make this game about competition.
Speaker 1: And I guess having elite players is when I think about Magic, I think about the Magic churn, I think about these these world champions. I mean that must have been wonderful and weird at the same time, right, yep.
Speaker 2: And this is where my proud the thing I'm most proud of is that that was a conscious decision. It was we hired a guy that had a sports marketing background, and we said, we want to make Magic an intellectual sport, and so he helped us design competition structures, you know, like the Pro Tour and the Grand Prixs and the pre releases and and organizing the ranking systems and all this stuff like that. You know, we had to build all that from from scratch, and none of that relied on Richard Garfield being a genius, which is what magically gathering. So I feel like if I you know, forced modesty in the box, I think I feel the best about is is that moment actually taking taking this game that Richard did, and then with his guidance all stead. I mean, Richard loved the idea. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't something I did without Richard and Richard and Scapphlias Rick Errans contributed mightily to this whole thing. We as a company, uh did that at the moment, you know, and I was, and I'm The other thing is I'm glad I recognized the potential in gen Con and and acquired it. So I think those are what I'm most proud of, those two things.
Speaker 1: So your last game, then, is is optimistic that you'll have electricity in the in the apocalypse. But this is a video game, and this is Sid Maya's Sieve six. So how important is Sieve? Do you think two analogue games?
Speaker 2: How important civilization in general? Specifically said my civilization?
Speaker 1: Well, sidmya civilization.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I don't think it's important analogy games at all. I mean yeah, I mean, I don't know. I mean because I mean there's lots of video games and it has some effect on analog games, right, but I don't I don't know. If that game didn't exist, with the world of table dot games be any different.
Speaker 1: Well, my my favorite game of all time wouldn't exist. So for me, it's it's very significant because through the through the ages was the designer decided that it was going to be a board game implementation of.
Speaker 2: Save Oh the CGS game exactly. I love that game. That's an amazing game. That's a hard game. That is a really hard game to play.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I don't play it well, but I enjoy it when I play it.
Speaker 2: Okay, then I'd be willing to play with you. Sometimes I have I'm good friends with Nate heyes, who's as a long listed design credits and he loves that game. And it's just like, well, okay, in all fairness, doesn't matter what game we're playing. We have a joke that when Nate comes over to play, the rest of us are all playing for second place, competing.
Speaker 1: I know some people like that, yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well okay, then I could see that if there wasn't a Sidmyer civilization, maybe there wouldn't be through the ages, and that would be horrible. But I think also the other way around, right, you know, there's always been a little I'm not up on all the gossip, but I've never met sid Meyer. But you know, there were always, you know, sort of accusations that that sid Meyer's civilization was a derivation, if you will, of the old Avalon Hill right civilization game. From the sixties seventies or something like that.
Speaker 1: I think that's I think that's that's no longer a rumor. I think that's fairly established fact at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I think also nobody cares this, right, right, I mean, because that's just the way games work. Everybody designs games based on other people's games. You know, Richard Garfield didn't care that other people were designing trading card games that looked a lot like Magic Gathering, you know, didn't care, right.
Speaker 1: That's why I think gaming mechanisms shouldn't be copyrighted, right, because it allows the creativity of the old industry.
Speaker 2: Well, I think copyrights are fine. I think it's patents that are dangerous. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's uh yeah, I think even though I mean, we did patent certain aspects of Magic the Gathering, but you know, we were never we were never jerks about it. We never sued any of the The only people that we enforced the baton with was with Konami and Pokemon. But yeah, no, I am uh uh yeah. I think it's an interesting point. Okay, So, uh you know, at sid Meyer Civilization, I think it's a great franchise. I don't play many video games. I don't like them. I'm much better play with a human opponent. But I do like having a game where, at some point, you know, if you're feeling it is to play a game, and there's nobody around to play with it. So okay, you play, But to me it is the last resort there's, you know. And but I love I love the genre civililding games. I just I love that genre. Games through the Ages is a great game, the old Avalon Hills civilization, And to do it electronically, that's just a wonderful fantasy to start off, as in the Stony Age, I got my settler, got a warrior, build a city and start build a monument, you know, and build more warriors and go out and conquer them. And I think, I, you know, I and I also debated, well should I choose six or seven or so five or whatever? You know, and you know, I could have chosen a different one, but I think, uh, there's so much replay value with all the different civilizations you can build, and all the different uh map types and slower long and which uh uh you know, which civilization you're playing, and all that sort of stuff like that. Oh, in different types of victory conditions to diplomatic or science and stuff like that. I think there's just this huge, uh array of different ways you can play this one game. So throughout most of the games, except for FEAV and all the other games I've chosen, I was rating highly at the criteria of you know, how long am I going to be in the cabin? What's the replay value of this game?
Speaker 1: So I've got one more question for you. So you're heading out of Seattle towards the cabin, and you go at a corner and the back door of the car flies open. Four of the games fly out, Dinah, Ravine into a river, and I swept away to posterity. Which game do you hope is sitting on the backseat of the car.
Speaker 2: I really go with Peace for Owen because out of all those games, that's the one my wife will play, and I am I'm certain I would not have left Seattle without her in the car with me.
Speaker 1: So I guess you're not a very big social media guy. But if you ever do post anything, if you ever write articles or anything like that, how can people see what you're up to.
Speaker 2: These days? Really, I'm primarily only active on my personal Facebook page, so I'm Peter Adguson on Facebook, so follow me there. That's that's about it. I also once in a while I did start a newsletter a couple of years ago sent but I haven't I don't use it very often, but I do have a newsletter. So to reach out to me on Facebook messengering, it's I give you the way to subscribe to that.
Speaker 1: Excellent Well, Peter Atkinson, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thank you Ben, thanks for inviting me on.
Speaker 1: You can support the show in many ways. You can tell a friend, you can talk about it on social media. You can talk about it in your own blog, podcast, or video. You can support it directly by going to Patreon dot com, forward slash five gfd for a rolling donation or for a one off donation hitting the papal link at the bottom of the website five g fd dot com. It's these donations to keep the show going. You can join the best discording gaming by going to five gfd dot com and clicking the button. Also, if you want to say something nice about the show, she want to say something horrible about the show, in contact me at five Games for Doomsday gmail dot com. And if I've succeeded in dancing to the falling bombs and gufforing at all of it. I'll see you in two weeks for another five games at Doomsday