Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. What Else is going on?
Speaker 2: Time four? What's happening? Rock Well?
Speaker 3: The Park fire burning up in northern California has continued to jump up the ladder and is now the sixth largest fire in state history at three hundred and sixty eight thousand acres Today, after the weekend of lower temperatures and increased humidity, they did say that they were able to cut fire line around twelve percent to the fire, but it is going to get warm again up there, so they said that.
Speaker 2: They said that the.
Speaker 3: Fire more than doubled in size several times in just a matter of hours, and there were a lot of those fire natos, the whirlwinds that create from the rising heat. As the weak progresses, temperatures are expected to rise, it'll make fire behavior obviously increase due to the high heat. Amazingly, for as large as that fire is, there are relatively small numbers of evacuations, just into the thousands and one hundred hundred plus structures destroyed, but thousands are still threatened.
Speaker 1: A video that uses AI of AI voice cloning tool to mimic the voice of Kamala Harris saying things she did not say, is raising concerns about the power of AI to mislead in an election year. Video gained a lot of attention because Elon Musk shared it on x on Friday without explicitly noting it was originally released as a parody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is I think going to be the weird gray area of how we have political speech now and maybe just going forward indefinitely. Yeah, which is Elon Musk thought he was doing something funny. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he's smart enough to know the difference between AI generated content and something because.
Speaker 1: It irresponsible, because he's smart enough to know and to share it to people that he knows will not be smart enough.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think he well, yes, it is completely irresponsible, and that's where he then has to come out. I know he's posted since then and said things like, uh, well he's I mean, he's he's a he's.
Speaker 1: He's gonna say what he wants to say. He's like a Trump. You know what I mean. You're not going to be able to rein that in He's this guy, he makes these jokes all the time. Yeah, he's a child, he's an adolescent boy.
Speaker 3: So and he actually wrote something about I just talked to Esteems professor. I can't even say the name because it's a it's a d joke. Yeah, but it's like parody is still legal in the United States or something like that. So but yeah, he's got it, He's got to do better. I just don't know if he realizes the power that he has.
Speaker 1: Like most athletes, Simone Biles will play injured. It is a calf injury. No, no, no, no, no, it's a lower extremity injury. Yes, she is in the lineup for all four events during the Olympic team finals. Is that going to happen? Did I read that correctly? That that's going to happen during our show tomorrow? I believe so, well be prime time in Paris. Yeah, so yeah, that's exciting. We can do live play by play. And there's a twist.
Speaker 2: Oh my, oh, she nailed it.
Speaker 1: Flipped. That was a flip, and that was a handspring. Oh and what wow, twisty twist twist.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what it sounds like.
Speaker 3: She will go last for the US on three events, the vault, the floor, and the balance beam, and then will be up second on the uneven bars. Jordan Chiles finished fourth in the all around qualifying. She was not happy. She was not happy when she got bounced out of that all around. A former Dodgers pitcher has died. It was actually a former Giants pitcher as well. Reyes Moronta died in a car crash in the Dominican Republic at the age of thirty one. Terrible crash yesterday, apparently near where his father lives. He joined the Dodgers in March of twenty two before he and he appeared in twenty two games before he moved on to other Major League teams. Eventually went in played in Mexico and the dr as well. Most recently played for the Bravos de Leon of the Mexican League.
Speaker 2: I just released this past Thursday.
Speaker 1: Robert Downey Junior returning to the Marvel Universe. He made an appearance at Comic Con over the weekend revealing that he will play Victor von Doom in a new Avengers movie called Avengers Doomsday.
Speaker 3: Somebody on our talkback had said, this has to do with the multiverse. You wouldn't get it, which that is one thousand percent correct.
Speaker 2: I don't quite.
Speaker 3: You lost me in the first season of Loki where you did the time variations and I was not catching up.
Speaker 2: It was hard to get through that.
Speaker 3: But somebody wrote on Twitter, your listener is correct and saying that you just wouldn't understand you don't.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: This is why I happened to know about the multiverse being a collection of alternate realities which share the universal hierarchy.
Speaker 2: Who who are you?
Speaker 1: Well, everybody knows. It's the subsection of the larger omniverse, the collection of all realities.
Speaker 2: What is happening right now?
Speaker 1: Well, it was a big weekend. It was predicted to be a big weekend, and Deadpool and Wolverine certainly delivered. Jason Nathanson joins us to talk about the cascading cash that is surrounding this blockbuster this summer. Oh, I like your alliteration there, That's what I do, Jana.
Speaker 2: And you're a professional.
Speaker 1: Oh, let's not go crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's okay about it'd be nice. It's a Monday. We'll see where we are by Friday.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, I mean we talked about it on Friday that this was going to be record setting, and it was bigger than we thought.
Speaker 2: I think I had said that it had a shot.
Speaker 4: At getting to two hundred million, and then it was two hundred and five million with estimates yesterday, and then this morning the final total two hundred and eleven million, and the sixth best opening of all time and the best R rated opening of all time, So a bunch of different records set there. Obviously great news for the movie theater industry. AMC Theaters says that it had it sold the most tickets because when you look at this stuff, you go, okay, it's over two hundred million. It beat the original Deadpool, which earned one hundred and thirty three million, But did that beat it adjusted for inflation, which I think it did actually, but it might not have sold the most tickets, And AMC is saying that, yeah, this sold the most tickets of any R rated movie in the chains one hundred and four year history. Wow, so doing really really and merch sales were really good, of course, I'm sure popcorn and drink sales were really good.
Speaker 2: So this is stuff that they need and it's going to.
Speaker 4: Continue because there ain't nothing much coming up on the Horizon for a little while here, as we get into the August dog days of summer where there usually is not anything.
Speaker 1: Are you so excited about Rob Downey Junior returning to the Marvel universe? Oh?
Speaker 2: I lost my mind. If you listen to the Screams comic con mine was the loudest.
Speaker 1: I'm sensing a notch of a sarcasm here.
Speaker 4: No, well, okay, this gets into a little bit of something that I think we talked about on Friday with when you bring back a character like Wolverine in the in the Multiverse, right, And we made a big deal about Wolverine's death in that in that film a couple of years ago. How there are no consequences to these films, right? And in the last Avengers film, we made a big deal about the death of Tony Stark iron Man, Robert you devastated?
Speaker 2: I sent a little sarcasm.
Speaker 1: I was really upset. I really liked iron Man really yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, So were you crying when you watched it?
Speaker 1: I did not cry. I was when I believe that he was really dead, Like I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that he was really dead.
Speaker 4: Well, but that's that's the thing, whether he was dead or not. And I don't really if I believed when they said that he was dead and that was the end of that character. And fine, you know, but the again, those are there's supposed to be consequences in these worlds, right, So when people die in films and you know, you're supposed to go, Okay, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's that's it for them.
Speaker 4: And now with bringing back now we don't know exactly what this iteration of doctor Doom is because in some parts of the comic books, there is a world where Tony Stark, who became Iron Man, becomes this really bad guy. So there you have to imagine there's probably going to be some connection there. But then also, this guy wears a mask most of the time, so he could be Robert Downey Junior in a mask the whole time. But if you're going to hire Robert Dwney Junior, I think you're going to probably want to see his face at some point.
Speaker 2: I would hide him behind it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, he's not going to be hiding because didn't you see him at Comic co. Yeah, he took a press conference.
Speaker 4: He took the mask off, but that was just to reveal to the whole crowd who he is. You know, I don't know exactly how they're going to do it. But again, this is this has been my problem and some other people's problems when it comes to what Marvel has done as of late. In the Multiverse, you can just do anything right, bring anybody.
Speaker 3: Back, you know, Like it's like somebody called in and described it similar to storylines in a soap opera.
Speaker 1: Well, it's alternate realities. It's a collection of alternate realities which share that universal hierarchy, a sub section of the larger omniverse.
Speaker 4: Did you just read that or did you just about your ahead because those were words that I never pictured you putting together.
Speaker 1: Well you don't know me at all.
Speaker 2: Apparently not so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But if there are no rules and you can just do anything, then why what am I watching? And why am I watching this? And when two characters are fighting, you know, why do I care? If they're just going to bring something?
Speaker 1: If you want to put it this way, like the multi can be destroyed, like you saw an endgame, but if it ends, it's reborn as a completely new form. So it makes sense that if iron Man died, he could be reborn as the Boom Guy.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, there are Boom Doom, but there are just there are so many.
Speaker 2: As we saw a Spider Man too.
Speaker 4: And here's the other thing though, spider Man, the Spider Man, the the animated versions of the Spider Man films have done the.
Speaker 2: Multiverse very very well.
Speaker 4: And I will say Deadpool and Wolverine I thought did it very very well as well.
Speaker 1: Well, also shopped in universe. Let's just throw that in there.
Speaker 4: And so we have to kind of trust that Marvel's gonna do this well hopefully. You know, I'm not gonna I'm all reserve judgment until I actually see it. But for me, you know, I get I get it. Look, we had some stumbles in the Marvel universe. We why we kind of want to course correct. Deadpool and Wolverine is the first way to do that. And then the second way to do that is bring back the guy who started it all in two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine with the first Iron Man movie, Robert Downey Junior. He's the biggest guy, and also the Russo Brothers, who were the guys who behind the original Avengers trilogy. I get that. Go back to the well, go back to what worked. I'm fine with that.
Speaker 1: It all goes back to the web of life and destiny.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's often what you say. I often get a text message from Shannon that says that, usually in the middle of the night, and she's been in a casino for a while. But yes, I wish you were in the room here with it.
Speaker 2: Terrifying. I'm scared right now. You need somebody in between men two. What I help out is not comfortable.
Speaker 1: It's like the Dodger hat in orange and black.
Speaker 2: It is it doesn't fit right. Oh, yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know, you know again, I get what they're doing. I understand why fans seem to be pretty excited. And we'll see what happened. You know, these movies are a couple of years away at this point, so we'll see what happens, and we'll see what happens again in the short term with Marvel, because I think also, as we talked about on Friday, it's fine for dead Pool and Wolverine to do as well as it did. But one of the reasons it did is because it's R rated and everybody loved it and the humor was raunching and blah, blah blah. You can't do that with the other Marvel movies. You can't be as bold and brash as this one was. When you have the PG thirteen movies.
Speaker 2: Did either one of you go see it over the weekend? No, we were just talking about see it tonight. Yeah, okay, yeah good. And this is one of those movies.
Speaker 3: I mean, you point out that obviously was able to They were able to get away with a lot of stuff because it is our rated. It's one of those that does not translate to a TV broadcast. There are a couple of movies, handful of movies where you don't have to have the swearing, but this I will. In fact, I tried to watch Deadpool two over the weekend on the TV and it did not It.
Speaker 2: Didn't work, did not work. It lost a lot of that, which is fine.
Speaker 4: But again, like you know, in this day and age, who's watching this stuff on TV?
Speaker 2: Right you're probably I felt stupid for doing it. If you want to watch you go go watch the streaming one.
Speaker 4: It's right there. You're probably already paying for it. I missed those days though, just flipping around seeing what's on the channels, and it was a different time getting sucked into something good.
Speaker 2: You know, don't isolate that. Please you notice we stayed very quiet. I know you did, and I knew exactly where you were going to. May not have a great week you too. Take care. Thanks man Talk Friday, and it's good you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.