Speaker 1: Oh ye, folks, it's showtime.
Speaker 2: People say, good mind to see this movie When they go out to a theater they are cold sodasarn in the monsters in the protection.
Speaker 3: Booth, everyone for tend podcasting isn't boring?
Speaker 2: Cut it off, y, Return for the climactic clash between the forces of good and evil. Return to a galaxy far far away. Return of the Tedi the next chapter in the continuing Star Wars saga. The battle for freedom rags arm, the heart of a hero, the courage of a rebel, the strength of a leader, the loyalty of comrades, the power of the horse.
Speaker 3: The cunning of the enemy. The destiny revealed.
Speaker 4: Is the fad of Father, a legend fulfilled, an epic of heroes, villains, and aliens from.
Speaker 3: A thousand worlds crap.
Speaker 2: The quest continues, the circle closes, The saga lives on. Return of the Jedi begins May twenty fifth at a theater in your galaxy.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Projection Booth. I'm your host, Mike White, join me once again as mister Jamie Benning.
Speaker 1: Hello, how are you doing, Mike? Good to be back.
Speaker 3: Also back in the booth is mister Stephen scarlatta, Yo, thank you for having me. Sci Fi July continues with a look at Richard Markwan's Return of the Jedi, released on May twenty third, nineteen eighty three in the US. That is, the film concludes the original Star Wars trilogy was supposed to be followed fairly quickly by six or nine other films. Instead, it was followed by two Ewok films and some other infrequent bones thrown to fans by lucasfilm. From starting on ted Tween to ending by blowing up the Death Star, the film feels incredibly similar to Star Wars and New Hope, only not very good. We will be spoiling this film as much as humanly possible, so if you don't want anything ruin, please turn off the podcast. Come back after you've seen the Abominable Special Edition or any of the other futzedwith versions of the film. We will still be here. So, Jamie, when was the first time you saw Return of the Jedi and what did you think?
Speaker 1: It was one of my very sort of formative experiences. I lived in a little town, a little village southeast of London, and on my seventh birthday in June nineteen eighty three. I was taken to London by my parents, and my sister joined us, and my aunt and uncle, my cousins joined us as well, and we went to Hamley's at the big toy store on I was spoiled rotten. I think I got like snow Speeder and an Attat and bitfore Tuna, and I remember looking at those card backs with the black dowt Ewoks and all of that stuff, and then with these giant bags. We went to see Return of the Jedi at the Dominion, which I think was one of the biggest screens in the UK at the time, on seventy mil I ever remember there was a Whita Bix advert beforehand. I loved it. I loved the whole experience, and I have an affection for this film, which I think we're going to tear down in the next hour or so. But I do have an affection for the film because it kind of it was the first time I think I properly realized that films were made. If that makes sense that there were these names attached to the film. Yes, there was George Lucas, but there was Ken Rauston and Phil Tippett and all of those guys, because my sister at the time brought her behind the Scenes book. I bought the story book in the foyer after the film. My parents had pence left to spare after the Hamley strip and they let me buy that book. And on the train, my sister and I swapped books and I was looking through this thing, going wow, Matt paintings and compositing and model making and all this stuff. And that's when I think, think that sort of jump started my love of behind the scenes of movies.
Speaker 3: And Stephen, how about yourself?
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, I first saw it in the theater. I was a huge Star Wars fan when it came out. I was ten when it came out. I vaguely remember seeing the first one and mostly remember Empire waiting in a lobby to see it more than the actual movie.
Speaker 3: But when Return was coming out, I was excited. I was at the right age.
Speaker 5: I had the Marvel comic that had the entire movie and it It took me a month to finally see it because every time we went to the theater it was sold out or the line was around the corner, and my family was like, no way, We're gonna sit online for like three hours for you to see this thing. So it took like a month and it was hard waiting to Zill see that movie. It was so funny, like maybe when the first Avengers came out, the Marvel movie. I remember seeing it opening weekend and just being like, Damn, we're so spoiled today that we could see a big movie opening weekend Wolverine last year, like on a Sunday morning at eighth in the morning, opening weekend. But when Jedi came out, Dude, you could not get into that theater. It couldn't And so it was the wait when the movie was out to finally get a chance to get into theater.
Speaker 1: I think my dad.
Speaker 5: Found some theater that he heard about that doesn't have long lines, and that's how I finally got to see it. Yeah, I loved it. I was the right age for it, and I ate it all up Man with a Knife from fork Man. I loved it at the time, but throughout the years it became the one I watched the least, and then when I got into film school, when I rediscovered Star Wars. When I was in film schools, when I came to realization, no Empire is my favorite and probably one of the best movies ever made. And so, yeah, it was interesting returning back to Jedi.
Speaker 3: For this podcast. I think I saw it maybe opening weekend. Sorry, Stephen, I don't want to rub that in your face or anything.
Speaker 1: Because i'd let you Q.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I don't remember how I got to see it, but I remember it was it was me, it was my folks. I don't think maybe they just dropped me off or some time. I don't remember being there with my folks at all, but but yeah, I remember the movie theater. It was the Southgate Theater that eventually became an AMC, which is eventually now part of the Meyers Parking Lot Meyers thrifty acres for folks that are outside of Michigan. It's a chain around here. And yeah, I was eleven, so right around that same time, and I don't know what it was like. I think when I saw it initially I was stoked, but even watching it the very first time, I was like, oh, they're just doing another Death Star.
Speaker 2: Why.
Speaker 3: The biggest thing for me was Boba Fet when Boba Fett died, and just because I had fallen in love with that character from seeing you know, the Star Wars Holiday special seeing Empire strikes back, the whole thing of Consolo being frozen. I was just so, you know, like what's going on? And I had this headcannon of when Lando reaches down and like checks the vitals, was like, Oh, he's actually sending it to like defrost in a few hours or something, So Hana is going to like wake up in the back of slave one and kill Bubba fed or have a huge fight or something in that. I just had it all built up in my head as being like, Oh, this is going to be the best thing ever. And then when he just died in such a cartoonish way of like just dispatch within thirty seconds, and I was like, why is he even sticking around at Jaba's palace? Like he dropped off that the prize it should be out getting more money. You know, bounty hunters don't make any money standing around Jaba's palace, is what I think. Anyway, It's not like he's on commission or something. But yeah, so I don't know. I just I don't know how soon after because I know, I had plenty of action figures. I had a lot of Ewok action figures, a lot of those monsters that were on job as barge, you know, uh Rawatu had, those guys had a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: Lando and Skiff God disguised with a little helmet on.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well, dud, that was my favorite.
Speaker 1: That was a great for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mine was bash. I loved Hells.
Speaker 1: You know what Mike is about. You know, like, if you compare anything to the Empire strikes Back, you're going to struggle, right, So imagine if Empire had been a really shitty movie, the Jed I would probably be revered today because it would have been a return to form and it would have been back to the formula and the stuff that we love and all that kind of thing. But when you put it up against Empire, it really is a very, very different film. I remember when I sort of rediscovered the trilogy when I was probably about fourteen or fifteen, I think it had come out on VHS, and my mum was like, you really want that for your birthday? Aren't you a bit older? That kind of stuff? And I remember watching Empire for the first time in quite a few years and just thinking, because I knew Jedi more because I did it on tape from TV, I think an Empire, I was like, Wow, there's so much dialogue and there's so much character development, and you know, compared to Return the Jedi, which as my then eight year old daughter and when we watched it a few years ago, said to me, it's just a series of set pieces put together. That's kind of what Returned the Jedi is. You know, you've got the opening, and you've got the sail bars, and then you've got the Yoda scenes, and then you've got the Death Star stuff, and that's kind of it.
Speaker 3: But it does stuff.
Speaker 1: But I think because of that comparison to Empire.
Speaker 5: I was thinking, like, is it like a Halloween three thing? Like when Empire came out, was it not liked as much? But throughout the years it just gained more fandom.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people were kind of pissed off at the ending, weren't they that it was like such a downbeat ending. You know, you think about Star Wars, it's all tied up in a bow or right, Vaders aren't going off and maybe he's going to be in a sequel kind of thing. But when you get to Empire, it's very dark. You know, it doesn't have a proper ending for people. It isn't like the Bubblegum movie that the first one was. Yeah, it's interesting to try and remember how they were perceived in sort of isolation, those three films. But yeah, I think like you Stephen as well over the years watching back. Even though I have an affection for Return to Jedi, like I said at the top, I do know it is the worst of the three by some way. You know, it's actually quite made in places. There's some really badly focused shots. There's some pretty dodgy editing of sound under explosions and music editing is also a little bit wonky in places. You just don't see that in the other two as much.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I still dinner Well, it's all good man.
Speaker 3: The first movie felt like it was so poured over, you know, you had even like Brian de Palmer helping rewrite the open Scroll and the re edit, and Marcia having her hand in there. And it probably didn't help that the marriage was kind of on the rocks around this time, so she's probably not as involved as she was with the previous films. I think that's kind of a down thing, also, not having you know, it's just George writing and then Kasden coming in and cleaning things up. He doesn't have a lead bracket to bounce stuff off of either. I mean, it's just like, I don't know, it just felt like it was missing things and just having like mark One there, and I mean Lucas just admitting like I wanted a director that I can control, basically directing by proxy through poor Richard markwand I always felt bad for that guy. The story is better than the reality, the story that David Lynch tells about being approached to direct Return of the Jedi and just the thoughts of what Return of the Jedi could have been, you know, if Doune didn't happen and he directed this instead.
Speaker 6: I was asked by George to come up to see him and talk to him about directing which would be the third Star Wars, and I had next door to zero interest. But I always admire George. You know, George is a guy that does what he loves, and I'd do what I love. The difference is what George loves makes hundreds of billions of dollars.
Speaker 3: That would have been wild, But I can't imagine Lynch and Lucas's sensibilities getting on whatsoever. But hey, the sound editing would have been fantastic, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be down on any of the sound that is. But that whole Lynch thing, you know, he talks about being offered the film and being with George and then being taken upstairs and there's all these drawings and he's like getting this headache and it's getting worse and worse. In a way, I could sort of imagine Lynch doing Empire more than Jedi, because Empire is the kind of weird, spooky of film. He's got some pretty abstract ideas, you know, the dream sequence and all of that stuff, and maybe you know, if you'd left Lynch alone, like he left Kush alone to do it, but maybe he would have a very very very different Empire. But Return the Jedi, I think Lynch probably made the right decision, didn't he.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: I just love his little quote he was like, because it was a Georgia's film, he already designed these little bears and had all this stuff done, and he wouldn't have had control. And I think you could just see more of him in Dune versus we'll ever see it in Return of the Jedi, and we would never get Blue Velvet as like Dino's Apology in a way. You know, Lucas is going to give David Lynch an apology movie after what he puts him through for a Jedi.
Speaker 1: It's a real shame that, you know, Mark One didn't live longer, because it would have been interesting to hear his take on it. There's very little of him talking about the movie. I remember when I was making my returning to Jedi film, we mentor you that I dug around for stuff, and at the time, when it was a two thousand and eight something like that, there wasn't much around on YouTube of him talking. There's a few magazine interviews. You know, he did want to do the best job he could. But I think, you know, as you said, might that you know, he was employed because he was a fast and efficient director. You know, he'd made that I had the need or I think was the film that Lucas saw that kind of attracted him and he found it like really efficiently and moved and it was kinetic and it was always like moving along. Every scene was there for a reason, and he needed somebody that wouldn't be there, you know, going over schedule and going over budget. But yeah, I would love to hear his sort of his answers to a lot of the questions that have been raised about you know, was he a puppet at the time, because some people you speak to you on the set, I said no, No, he was very diligent. He had it all in control. He made a lot of the suggestions, including the the booh stuff and you know, Jabber being there as a prisoner and all of that kind of thing. So maybe you have more more more say in the film than we realize.
Speaker 3: I believe he.
Speaker 5: Had to say in bringing in Annakin at the ending as a ghost.
Speaker 1: I thought, I read that, and I think that might be right.
Speaker 3: You know which version of Anakin?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: I always think like Luke is going to look over at the end of that special edition and see Hayden Christensen there and go, where the fuck is.
Speaker 1: That is this guy? I mean, you know, I kind of get why they did it. It really annoyed me at the time, But now so much time has passed with the prequels existing in the world, I've come to accept that they're not for me. Then they're for another generation. And you know, when Anakin turned up again in some of the TV stuff, in the last couple of years. I think it was in ah Soka. I can imagine they were very excited, those fans, and you know, I can't take that away from them. But at the time, I said, why are you changing this movie? Some of those tradition changes I do not like.
Speaker 5: I went last year to like the fortieth anniversary screening. They had it like over here at the cinema on the x D screen, like their rip off Imax, and I remember sitting down at first, I'm like, I was really excited to rewatch it because like some of my favorite moments in Star Wars are in Return to Jedi. That's why I have like, I appreciate the movie, but man, when they're at jobs Palace in that new musical number starts, oh good Lord.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. It was excruciating.
Speaker 5: And then you guys shared with me the original cut, which I watched, and I had more appreciation of that, and I was so happy not to experience that sequence again. And the sarlac hid putting in like the mouth. It was just like watching it in the theater. I was so bummed by it. I was like, dude, this is brutal. And then the effects don't hold up as much either in the special edition unfortunately, but watching the version without all that is really good though.
Speaker 1: I think the thing is when you see those movies, you want to be reminded of the time that they were made, that they are a product of that time. Right next week on the twelfth, or this week's around the twelfth, they're showing how the BFI here the British Film Institute, they're showing the original nineteen seventy seven Star Wars Die transfer print in stereo and it's been sitting in the arcohol Wow for decades.
Speaker 3: I'm amazed they're allowed to show that.
Speaker 1: I believe it's gone to the very very top. I won't say any more than that, but I think because the particular festival it's only is the Film on Film Festival, which is about showing Celli Lloyd. You know, they've got the Twin Peaks pilot without the weird European cuts on as well. They've got a couple of nitrate prints of older movies. But Stars is the kind of opening night thing. There's doing two screenings of it, and yeah, it's amazing that it's happening because even at the TCM Festival, a couple of weeks back over in the States, the Empire Strikes Back that was shown with George there was the special edition again. You know, you've got this one arm of George and his endeavors to push every thing into the digital era from the start. But now I think a lot of these filmmakers are getting to that point in their career where they're looking back to their origins and kind of accepting their work to a certain extent. So yeah, it's going to be interesting. Apparently somebody quite high up is coming to announce the film or present the film in London, so yeah, I'll feel you in on who that is. But that should be interesting.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, that's amazing because I don't think I've ever seen those versions since, like VHS or anything, because like, yeah, like this return version, I haven't seen it in years. You know, this is the first time rewatching it like this because I hate all I mean, Lando breaks the fourth wall when he has to lower his like helmet thing. Yeah, but all the singers when they're singing the gibberish, it's just they're singing it into the frame.
Speaker 1: That's where and the tonsils in the back of the throat of that main singer is just like it just that, Yeah, you're right, that stuff doesn't fit. But I kind of see those special editions in a way as an exercise to kind of prove that the prequels could be made. Could we make digital environments, could we make digital characters, and also to fund that as well, because I mean, they made a heck load of money back in what was it, ninety seven, so I can see that as a kind of a stepping stone. But you know, I'm fortunate enough to run the originals in some format, and I think I was around for the trilogy screening at Elstreet Studios or the cinema that used to be opposite E. L. Street Studios in the early nineties. It was the last time the original prints were shown before they were all gathered up then the special editions were going to be and I think it was like ninety two maybe, So yeah, I'm excited to see it all these years later. Yeah, it'd be interesting, But Jedi, I mean, the only thing that really is miraculous about that special edition is that Fermi Taylor, who plays Ulla the Green Dancer, looks exactly the same, you know, twenty years on.
Speaker 3: While I was doing my research for this, I found there was a whole fetish community around Ula. I didn't realize. Yeah, but yeah, there's like subreddits and things just dedicated to her life. What's that rule when something can be sexualized on the internet, Like, she definitely gets sexualized. And I think like her popularity is what really spurned the Ahsoka character, because I don't think that Ahsoka would be Ahsoka without Ula. Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well, the original Return of the Jedi had a few frames taken out of it for the special edition because when she falls into the rank or pit, there is a bit of a moment where her boot pops out, and they shaved off like two or three frames they remember for the special edition. Not that when looking, but I just heard that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you're right. It is just like such the series of set pieces, I mean, the whole thing at Jaba's Palace, I mean that takes up so long. Why didn't they tell C three pm? What was going on? Why is he so fucking clueless? Like he feels like Marcus and Salah in the Last Crusade, where these really competent characters from the earlier films suddenly turned into complete morons, and it just feels like he's a moron through this entire movie. Like we talked about his character in the first movie, and when we talked about episode four I new Help, which I still hate calling it that. When we talked about Star Wars, that was the name of the movie. And when we talked about Star Wars, we talked about how George wanted him characterized like a used car salesman, and that was there in that movie, and I could see it in the second movie as well. But there's no subterfuge at all in this film. He just I can't tell a lie. I can't I can't tell these people I'm a god. And I'm just like, haven't you watched Ghostbusters?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I guess not, because Ghostbusters was eighty four. This was eighty three. Right when someone asked you if you're a god, you see yes. But he just feels so stupid in this movie and constantly like what did I do? And like all the slapstickiness, and especially around him, like getting smacked by Jaba, falling off the skiff, like all of these things where it's just like what happened to this character? It just you're undermining yourself.
Speaker 1: It's in the same thing happens to Harrison Ford's Handsello as well. He just turns into this dfast as well. It was just like, what's going on? Oh hit Bob a fair, I'll hang on what your brother's sister?
Speaker 3: What you know? Come on, tell me what's going on?
Speaker 1: I can't tell you?
Speaker 3: Could you tell?
Speaker 2: Luke?
Speaker 1: Is that who you could tell? I'm always taken out of a movie if kind of rules have been set and then suddenly a character does something purely for a little kind of story point that doesn't fit their character, and I feel return the jedif if you refer to the other two movies, some of the dialogue that comes out of those characters' mouths in that movie, or some of their actions just really don't fit with what you understand about them. Yeah, that whole thing at the start with Jab of the Heart, I love it. I love Jab of the Heart because when I first saw him on screen, I was like, oh, why is that thing?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 1: This is amazing and it you know, I'm fortunate to call Dave Barkley, one of the puppeteers, a friend, and Toby Fillpott as well, and I've interviewed those guys a few times and found out all details about that. I'm you know, I'm far more interested in return to Didi behind the scenes than I'm actually of the movie itself, since maybe I was fifteen or something like that. But I still have an affection for those scenes. But they really don't make much sense, you know, the hologram, Like why is he doing that with a hologram because he's coming anyway? Is it like multiple attempts to do what? But so Laya's there, she's dressed up, she's got Chewy's and now Chewy's captured. Oh and Hansell has been released. Now he's captured. Lay is captured. So is Luke gonna come anyway? Or is Luke late to the party? But hang on it, he left that he did the hologram message. It just doesn't gel. But these things didn't occur to me until I was in my twenties. Probably I just used to sit there and just love all the hardware and the character moments and all of that stuff. So I don't know I've become cynical in my old age.
Speaker 3: The Java stuff.
Speaker 5: There's still some of my favorite things in a Star Wars film. But you're right, watching it this time, I didn't realize how long it keeps going. You just keep introducing characters and it just goes and goes.
Speaker 8: And go too.
Speaker 5: Luke comes in, and I guess it's due to like so many rewrites they were doing so fast on the movie that it's very off and like you were saying, just like all the characters are off, I don't buy, like you said one hundred percent with Han Solo.
Speaker 3: It's not Han Solo.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's the Carbon the Night or wherever the hell.
Speaker 3: He's so much softer in this movie.
Speaker 5: He's not the Han Solo from Empire, and Darth Vader's not the Darth Vader from Empire. I don't really feel like Luke. I guess his development has to be stronger in this movie. But when he's lurking around Jaba and then threatening him and everything, I don't even buy his threats to Java. Is there just something really off with the characters period? And I think Ley is just there. And I guess mostly because in the original draft she was already supposed to be on Endoor throughout the whole first act, and then they were with all the rewrites, so like, oh, now, she's gonna just appear here, and I guess that's why she has nothing to do until she strangles Java. But it is kind of a mess watching at this time, because you guys give me so much stuff to read and watch, and then it made me think even more about it, like, oh my god, this movie is really a mess. I didn't realize.
Speaker 1: But there's a bit in from Stars to Jedi and the Making of a Saga, the big long documentary they released around the time of the Return of Jedi was released, where Richard Markorn is there looking very officious for me. He's got his clipboard and he's obviously got like script or storyboard on it, and Harrison Ford says, okay, I'll try and say it without moving my mouth in case you choose not to use it. So I got the feeling like you were just talking, Stevehn, that the rewrites were happening sort of on the fly, and they were having to shoot alternate scenes potentially, or just always have in mind that something might not be used or could be used in a different way. And there's also a bit where marketed there in Jabber's Palace again with Richard Markwon and the energy between them is really weird. I think he says like old Jabber is becoming a really big star now, and Mark Hamill says, oh, oh is he? Or you know something like that. This just this weird moment where you think these two are not connecting. I don't know, I don't know what it is. I don't think I've ever heard mal Hammill talk about Richard directly, and I've dug through, as you know, many million interviews over the years. I might be wrong, there might be something out there, but he just felt like there might have been a little tension on set because of course this is a massive, massive movie, and the expectation was high. The budget was pretty huge for the time. But again it was you know, George throwing a lot of his own money in as well, So just some of those behind the scenes bits, it just feels a little bit more clunky than it should have been or could have been.
Speaker 5: Going back to what you guys were talking about originally with Empire, going off what you're saying, it's like, I think that's why this movie is so nice is because like he knows this is wrapping up with this one, and he knows the next few things are going to be Ewok movies and the Droid cartoon. He's trying to play it as safe as possible with this movie. It's got to be a success, you know, it's huge and everything has to be played safe. He can't make another dark sequel. And I think that's why it is what it is.
Speaker 3: And like what Mike was.
Speaker 5: Saying, it's like everything is a callback to Star Wars in this. You know, it's like the opening is the same as the opening of Star Wars with underneath the Star Destroyer and you know some of the stuff you guys gave me where It's like Jab's Palace is the canteena scene all over again. You know, it's like another assault on a death Star. You know, another whole planning scene about the Death Star. It's like we've pretty much another Yoda scene.
Speaker 3: You know, Yoda originally wasn't in this.
Speaker 5: But the director wanted Yoda in it. It's like everything we've seen before from the previous movie. It's like trying to remind.
Speaker 3: You, like, oh, yeah, you love that original movie.
Speaker 5: We're going to start again on the desert planet we were already at in the first one.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to hear some Mark Hamil interviews where he was sort of talking about knowing what you knew from Empire and the success of that or the relative success of that, and the way the film and the characters would go in he I think he says something like, you know, returned to the Jedi. I thought I was going to have this mohawk and I was going to be like turned to the dark side, and like everyone nobody can believe that I've been turned, and then the last minute I kind of save them and all this kind of stuff. And I think he said jokingly. I think it was on a Kevin Smith round table things some years ago. He said, I thought Bobaffett was going to take the helmet off and it was going to be my mother. And you know, he was looking for all of this sort of mysterious stuff that had all been kind of lined up, and he wanted it to be answered in some way and to continue going in that dark direction. But I think you're right, George just wanted to make sure that it was a prophet. He wanted to get it done. I think he was probably exhausted by this time. Like you said, the divorce with Marshall was going through at the time, and it just feels like, yeah, we know the formula, let's just do that with a few new toys thrown in.
Speaker 3: Even when you look at the scene of later talking with Wicked, it's basically when Luke is talking to R two and the swamps and or like him meeting Yoda kind of, but Wicked doesn't speak English, so it's almost the exact same thing where Leah is doing this.
Speaker 5: Now cha, well, it looks like I'm stuck here.
Speaker 1: Trouble is, I don't know where here is.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I gotta do as fine as Yoda if you even exists.
Speaker 1: Can sit down, you want something to eat.
Speaker 3: This place gives me the creeps.
Speaker 9: I feel like.
Speaker 3: Like we're being watched. Oh wait, put your weapon.
Speaker 5: I mean you no harm.
Speaker 10: I promise I won't hurt you.
Speaker 5: Not come here.
Speaker 3: The first movie feels like Luke's movie, right. The second movie could be Luke or could be Hans's movie, because they're both equally very important. And then it comes to the third movie and I'm like, well, whose movie is this? It doesn't feel like anybody's movie at this point, So I.
Speaker 1: Have Vader or the Empress movie. In a way, they're the sort of biggest character.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and I guess it's supposed to be Anakin's redemption. But at the same time, he's been a villain for two films, very vicious villain, and yet now suddenly we're supposed to see good in him, and I'm like, I don't see what you're seeing Luke. And Luke's whole development feels like it takes place between these two movies, because when he shows up, it's like, Okay, to your point, he's making all these threats. I don't feel like he's a badass. I don't feel like he's any sort of threat to Jabba whatsoever. I had read while I was doing my research, so first I read it and then I saw it. So when I read it, it was, oh, yeah, the movie was supposed to start with Luke building his lightsaber and when the beam comes out, it's green, So we don't know is he good is he bad? Because we've seen blue versus red, we've never seen a green lightsaber before. We don't know what this guy's doing. And so I was like, oh, that's cool, Like throw us off the scent a little bit here at the beginning and kind of do that thing that you were talking about where it's like, oh, maybe he's turned to the dark side. You know, he left his training too early, all these things. And then I finally saw that scene. I didn't think it was actually shot, but then I saw it where you see, it's just a connector between Darth Vader at the beginning talking to jarjirod that imperial dude. And then we transitioned to Tattooine and you see Luke working on the lightsaber. You see he's in a cave and you've got R two sitting across from him. You've got three po in the back outside, and it goes basically right into them leaving and going to Java's palace. So you don't get the sense that Luke has turned at all. There's nothing there. It's just like, oh, yeah, he's working on lightsaber. Okay, cool, you know. And then that even like, had they kept that scene in there, it would have just added more to the confusion as far as why's he shown this hologram? Like, we know he's here, we know he's on Tattooin.
Speaker 5: He feels too invincible also in this movie, you know, I don't know what his plan was if R two wasn't there to give him the lightsaber. First, he goes for the gun at doesn't work, And that's the only time you see him kind of vulnerable is the Rank Coors scene.
Speaker 3: Because every other.
Speaker 5: Scene he's just kind of invincible. It's very odd, you know, I'm never fearing for him at all or anything. And when you see Darth Vader not as himself, like Jamie has that phenomenal film youmentary you sent me and I watched and I was blown away by it. There was a sequence in there where Vader's choking out someone and I'm like, yeah, that's what's missing from this movie, is Vader choking motherfuckers out because you were threatened by him. He's so scary an empire, He's choking everyone out. That's just missing from this movie. I guess they have to soften him so when he turns at the ending and the whole like everyone I guess was expecting was Luke's battle with the dark Side, it's only in that one scene when Vader pisses him off, when he talks about his sister. That's the only kind of time you see it. But that's not at all in this movie. You don't really get a lot of that, and It's something they teased with Daisy Ridley's character that last trilogy and never went through with it at all either. That's like they always set it up, but then they just kind of back away from it. And by the way, you're also right about that Wicked scene. I never thought about it that it's totally mirroring Luke and Yoda.
Speaker 3: You nailed that.
Speaker 1: There's something about Luke in this. It feels like they wanted to paint him as getting above his station too early, Like Yoda laughs at him, so certain are you? He says about being a Jedi and that, and then Harrison Ford or hand Solo should say, has that line, which again doesn't fit his character. I've been out of it for a little while and everybody gets delusions of grandeur. That's not a Han Solo line. It felt like they wanted to kind of say that Luke is kind of going too early and it's too risky and it's too dangerous and he could turn to the dark side. But it isn't really developed enough for us to kind of feel that danger until that very last moment, you know, like you said, where Vader kind of pisses him off and he goes it gets a bit angry and whatnot, and then culminates with him throwing the lightsaber away. I feel if they'd have built that up a little bit more, Luke is just getting a bit too carried away too quickly, you know, the quick and easy path and all of that stuff. Maybe mirroring some of those threats Theo's dangers that Yoda talks about in Empire, it would have felt like he had more of an arc through the movie. I just didn't. Yeah, I just don't buy where he is or what he's doing.
Speaker 3: For most of I don't want to be this guy, but I don't need to see every scene of connection materials, YadA YadA. But it always feels and this is such a minor quibble, but I'm going to bring it up anyway. It always feels to me like the scene where he turns himself into the Imperial Guards and they bring him to Vader. Not seeing him turn himself in is a missing opportunity to see how he would handle himself in that type of situation. I want to see that. I don't care about him hanging out with the Ewoks and all that kind of stuff. I almost want him to leave the story a little bit earlier and separate out of me, because we see them separate right after the whole job of skift thing where you' the Falcon goes right and the X Men goes left. And thank god he showed up at Dagoba when he did, because if it was fifteen minutes later, Yoda would be dead again.
Speaker 1: It feels like the writing is inefficient in a way. You know, it doesn't ring true like it does, particularly an Empire and also in Star Wars. But yeah, you're right, if you hadn't have turned up, he would have just got one little croak ten minutes later and that would have been it for Yoda. But again, it doesn't feel like Lukey is stripped of anything at that point. Like when you know Obi Wan dies in Star Wars, you kind of go, oh shit, he's on his own here, like he's just met this guy and he's his mentor and he was going to teach him. What's going to happen?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: Okay, they're escaping the desk Star when Yoda dies, I think he has that moment, doesn't he. Where he says to ar To, I don't think I can do it. I can't do it alone. Then Ben Kenobi arrives, that's a whole other thing. But I don't feel his vulnerability at that point as much as I did when Obi Wan died. I still love this movie.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's all good. I'm now trying to call you you are moron for liking this movie.
Speaker 5: No, no, not so.
Speaker 1: I just you know, it is one of my favorite movies still because it's dumb and it's part of my childhood. But you know, when you're a kid, these things passed you by, all these little pot points and things and character changes and things that don't feel right in the character. But it's not until you get older you stop picking it upart but you never hit people do this with Empire.
Speaker 5: Just all the stars aligned for Empire to make it perfect. Lawrence Kasden, the director taking more control because Lucas was so overwhelmed by everything.
Speaker 1: And the dop as well. I mean, Peter Sushitski looks amazing. Empire hurts the other producer, Kurts.
Speaker 5: I think he got a different producer for this one, which Lucas had his hands all in this one for sure versus Empire, and not saying Lucas is, you know, incredible, But I think there was just all these elements in that. And then I think it was also that Kasden had Kirshner's back more. And then when it comes time for this movie everything Hasden wants to do, Lucas is like, nope, because Kasin's more in a frame of mind of Empire. He wants to kill off characters. He wants to kill someone off during the Jaba scene, so the stakes are high.
Speaker 3: Well, hell, Harrison Ford was first in line. He's like, yeah, kill off my character please. It was funny because when they what was the New Star Wars movie he was in where he died. Was that Arsa Aikins. Yeah, And I remember right before the movie came out, I tweeted, because it was still Twitter back then, I tweeted, Oh, I really like the New Star Wars movie. It's such a shame that Han Solo dies and people were out for me for blood, and I was just like, I didn't know that he actually died in the movie. I was just taking a guest because I was like, he's been wanting to be dead too since nineteen eighty three. He wanted to die in this movie and like, yeah, kill this character off. I mean, I love Han Solo but would have really raised those steaks. Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had that same guest. I remember saying to my wife, is the only reason Harrison's going to have returned to this movie because he wants to be killed off? Yeah, because there wasn't another version of the script as well, where you know that Blast is chasing them out of the Death Star and there's that little second have they perished or oh no, here's the Falcon and the X wings and stuff. They were going to actually get rid of Lando at that point as well in one version of the script, and again it would have felt like, you know, the stakes were raised, Like you know, when you take away a main character, you really do feel the peril for everybody else. You think, well, anything can happen now. But yeah, it's just played so safely. But you know, the other thing I was saying about Peter Sushitski's it was The dop On Empire. You know that film looks amazing to this day. I saw it in the cinema again. It was a special edition The Least Heinous, I guess a couple of years ago, and me and my mate turned to each other at the end and we said exactly the same thing. We said, Wow, it still works, doesn't it in that movie? You know, it still really looks amazing. You look at Jedi has a really sort of flat look to it. Alan Hume was the DOP You know, he worked on some of the Bonds later on, but he worked on the Carry On movies, and you know, he was as DP, and it has a very sort of fight look to it. I think turned the Jedi.
Speaker 3: It's not surprising that you said James Bond because I actually had James Bond in mine. Maybe it's because I've been doing the ranking on Bond podcast, but I really had James Bond in mind as far as those set pieces, and especially some of the set pieces that go, in my opinion, on for too long. I like the idea of the speeder chase through the forest Moon of Indoor. I really like that, and I like the way they shot it. It just feels like it goes on for a little too long, kind of like a lot of James Bond chases do. But again, I think I was probably right there with you. Jamie's first watching everything I could get my hands on around the making of this film, and I did the same thing for Empire. Did the same thing for Star Wars, because back in those days you didn't have the Internet. You couldn't go watch this the YouTube special or something, and if you didn't see it on PBS or on Nickelodeon or any of these kind of channels, you just didn't see it. But if you recorded it and you could just watch like over and over again, like how did they do this Starlac pet thing? How did they do the speeder bike? So seeing the speeder bike sequence taking apart and showing like, oh, here's where it's stopped motion and here's how we did the speed of this, and then having who's a Ben Burt come in talk about the sound effects. I mean, the sound affects themselves in this movie, and that's to me kind of the one of the funniest parts of the film is when C three p I Is telling the story of Star Wars to the Ewoks and it's all through the use of sound effects, and I'm like, yes, like these sound effects are classic, the whole cranking of the ad ads and everything, and it's just like, oh, this is so cool. But of course what I'm watching that now, I'm just like, oh, this reminds me of that scene in Rain of Fire where Christian Bale is in Gerrard Butler when they're re enacting Star Wars, and I'm just like, yes, Star Wars is this classic tale, like it is the mythology of our times, and like it's so funny because yeah, like and then like you're saying, we went real dark with the second one, the third one just playing it so safe and just it felt like it was just such a kiddy movie, you know, like having the Ewoks in there, having the Teddy Bears, having the slapstick having like, oh my god, having fucking Chewbacca do a Tarzan yell as he's swinging over and I'm like, oh man, it was so funny because at the same time, as I was listening to a recording of just Return the Jedi the soundtrack, basically I've flipped over and I was listening to We Hate Movies talking about Revenge of the Sith, and they're like, oh, yeah, Chewbacca does a Tarzan and yell and I was like, oh god, that sounds so awful. And then I listened to Return the Jedi and he does it again. I was like, oh fuck, or he did it the first time.
Speaker 1: I should say Yeah, there's also that bit with the speed of bike when the Scout Trooper. I love that design, by the way, the Scout shoop. Oh, I'm with you on the speed of Bikes. That was Nila rotis Jimiro, who again I'm happy to say as a friend of mine, he's actually sending me something very cool this week. Just to quickly aside, I've interviewed him three times now and we've become quite chatty on WhatsApp, and he sent me a load of drawings that he did original drawings for me of his iconic designs. One is a Scout Trooper, but Regal Robot I've been doing these reproductions of macettes of the characters that you see in that documentary. They're all on the table.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: He made the design of this thing called the Yuzz'm, which I think is the guy that sings in the special edition. But originally it's just in Jamber's palace like leaning up against towards this little guy with like little pipe cleaner arms and a fuzzy kind of body. He was sent one of them by Regal Robot and he's like, I don't want it, I'm sending it to you. Jamie so I'm getting that in the post this week, which should be fun.
Speaker 5: I noticed him too during that making of Just Mike said it to us, and I was like, oh, he was a character in I't know he was a character until the special edition.
Speaker 3: But keep going. I'm sorry he mean to interrupt you.
Speaker 1: No, no, that's fine. And Nilo said to me that because he did some little sketch cards to go with this model, and he said, you know, I got through like half a dozen of these drawings and then I realized I was bored. And that's why we didn't develop that character, because it was a dumb character. It is a dumb designed So I'm getting it. But the point I was going to make was about the Scout Troopers was there's that bit where one of them has the front end chopped off with the like Luke's light saber, and it goes it's like this really really sort of cartoony whistling sound as it spins around, and that feels very non Star Wars, you know, like Bember of course, as we know, went out and gathered all of these organic sounds, and I think that speed bike sound was when he heard like a jackhammer in the road and the air hose got a stone in it, and he was like, wait there, and he ran off and got his recorder and recorded that sound for the speeder bikes.
Speaker 3: That's incredible.
Speaker 1: A lot of these organics are grounded, real world sounds, and then when you hear the Tarzan call and the spinning speeder bike, it just feels like we're in a tech avery kind of environment.
Speaker 3: It gets silly, man, the movie just gets silly. That's odd.
Speaker 5: I mean because it was for kids. Because I was thinking about the third Indiana Jones movie at the trilogy, the Crusade. It's like they did the same thing. You had this dark temple of doom, and then all of a sudden they're like, all right, now, let's put Indiana Jones back as a teacher. You like that, you know, you like the Nazis, Let's bring them back. You know you liked all the traps. So in the third act of this movie, there's gonna be traps and instead of melting people, it's gonna be ghoulish when he drinks from the goblet. They brought back the original. So they just they wanted to, like, you know, do like this Raiders DLC for a Crusade. It's the same movie as Raiders, and it's soft again and nice, you know, and he's kind of you know, it's something he would go on it to do again. What I appreciate about Jabna's Palace this time was I didn't realize how they pushed all those monsters in the front and then they just had regular people like in the background, you know, cause I've noticed this time there was some dude that looked like Candy Man with his jacket just shown behind Jabba.
Speaker 3: I was like, Oh, there's.
Speaker 5: Actually like regular as humans hanging out behind all these you know, there's that weird monster just chill and not doing anything. I was like, who all these people gathered here?
Speaker 3: You know, like you're talking about, why is Boba there? I mean, it must be a happening place.
Speaker 5: He's just hanging out.
Speaker 3: Lots of musical acts there, that's for sure. Hey, Jaba loves his mutancy. I come here for the entertainment.
Speaker 1: And it certainly feels like returned. The Jedi is jabbasine compared to the Cantena scene. It feels like in Jedi is far more sort of performative. They're all like coming towards the camera behind Luke, and you know you've got Claptu there going like this, and the gammery and guards kind of stomping around, Whereas in Star Wars, you know, they're in their booths, they're having their own chats, and then when the lightsaber thing happens with Kenobi, they will turn around to look. You know, it feels like people are having their own lives, whereas with the Return of the Jedi and that Jabasine, it feels like they're there for the scene. To me when I'm watching now, well, I.
Speaker 5: Did think it was interesting this time around watching the Jabbazceine. I guess the bib Tuna dude. Once Luke does the Jedi mind trick on him, he does kind of disappear in the back and see three PM steps forward like he It kind of shows Jaba, like how he treats the droids and when he's done with someone, he just discards them, and you can kind of see it with that. This time around, I noticed it with that character and I thought that was kind of cool, like he's kind of discarded after that scene to the background.
Speaker 1: Bitt.
Speaker 3: It is one of my favorite characters. I mean, just the way he speaks in that kind of like pig Latin are two daytoa type of stuff.
Speaker 1: And he swears like the second he's on screen, like he calls jab bowanka and I remembers like a teenager going, WHOA hang on a minute, did did you just say that?
Speaker 3: It's such a great design too, you know? Yeah, Like I've always teeth.
Speaker 5: I was fascinated by his action figure too as a kid.
Speaker 1: I think that's yeah, because the figure kind of looked wet as well, didn't it. It looked kind of slimy and wet.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I also wanted to take his head tail thing and straighten it out and stuff. I love those types of figures, you know, where you can actually interact with them a little bit more ones with the helmets, yeah.
Speaker 1: The robe and the kind of chest piece underneath in the Yeah, and the staff with this sort of spindle on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love that meme that's going around where it's the I can't remember what movie it's from, where the girls like to say those three words three.
Speaker 5: Words I'm yours.
Speaker 4: They were no longer thank you.
Speaker 1: That's all I needed to hear.
Speaker 2: I do know.
Speaker 1: I think of that actor Michael Carter bit Fortuna. I think of him every time I go on the underground, because he's the guy in American Wealth in London that's chased through the underground.
Speaker 3: Oh really.
Speaker 1: If ever, I'm in a tube station in London and it's kind of quiet, I feel like I'm in that movie which scared me for years when I was a kid, and I think of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, staying with Jaba's Palace a few more minutes. Seeing Book of Bilbafet really recast the rank or keeper who apparently showed up in Book of Bilbeffet, but I didn't realize it was the same character. But like this whole thing of how the bond between a rank or keeper and the rank corps, and like when he cries after the ranker monster is dead, I'm just like, now I feel totally bad. Like when I was a kid, I was just like, Oh, isn't that funny this guy's crying over a monster. But then now I'm just like, oh, man, like this is Pathos right here. And then you compare that to the scenes of droids have peen sensors. Now this is a thing we put peen sensors and droids where and that whole thing where the droid is being tortured, so reminds me of just like a Disney Rider. Reminded me of like Pirates of the Caribbean, so funny, like the guy turns the thing, the droid turns, it comes down and then it comes back up. Then they just keep doing that. I'm like, that's odd.
Speaker 1: It feels like at some point they said they wanted sise Noodles in the Rebo band to start up on that big scream, and they wanted it to match with somebody else screaming, Okay, let's make a droid do it, and nobody went to droid's scream. You know, do they feel pain? It's just they put that idea together and off they went. Maybe George wasn't on the set that day.
Speaker 3: We're talking about how characters might die. I mean, when Han Solo looks at the Millennium Falcon and he has us, I don't know, it's just a strange feeling. I'm never going to see her again, that never comes back whatsoever. And that's like this moment of pathos where I was like, oh wow, yeah, something bad might happen, but don't worry. Nothing bad happens.
Speaker 1: It's probably when Lando was due to die, right exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And get mon Matha and her thing where she's just like, oh many bothans died to bring us this information, and you're just like, oh, fuck man, that sounds like really intense, Like give me that movie. Don't give me Rogue one, give me the Bothens that are dying because of this. Like that's what I want to see, is like these Bothans.
Speaker 1: Well that's much later, of course, isn't it. Yeah, for a return of Jabdi. But I tried to recut a trailer once I'll make a Return of the Jedi trailer to make it dark. So I died with every hero has a journey or something. I was sort of mirroring the early prequel one, and I picked a bit of dialogue. You know, there's that bit of dollar where Hansally says, you're throwing away a fortune here, don't be a fool to Jabber when he's trying to negotiate with him. I put that in as the falkm was entering the Death Star, and I proceeded with a bit of him and Lando kind of talking or something. So I tried to use some of the bits of dialogue to sort of kind of make you worried about the characters and about the iconic spaceship and stuff. And it's amazing how quickly you can snip out certain scenes from that movie and give it a darker feel, you know, the stuff with the emperor, the lightsaber battle at the end. You get that kind of chorus stone voices that rises up after he says, you know, about his sister. There are moments in there sort of sprinkled throughout, but it feels that as they remove scenes and swap things around, they forgot what they also had left in. In some cases that no longer work. You know, they would have worked perhaps with the scenes left in. Who knows. But there's a really good book called The Annotated Screenplays. Lam's really good, and it kind of picks out all of those different changes, all those evolutions of the script. And you know, it's always tantalizing, isn't it for fans like us to go, I wonder what it would have been like if this had happened, X, Y, and Z had happened. But yeah, I think there is a bit of movie in there somewhere. I don't know if there's ever been a fan at it or trying to make it darker, because there's probably means to do that now. I would think it'd be interesting because it is the least favorite of a lot of people of that original trilogy, and it's usually number three, So maybe it's time somebody does go in there and have a little play with it.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you could save it from the ewarks, though, yeah, we all wish.
Speaker 1: That they were Wookies right at the time when George was talking about the Wookies. But then we saw the Wookies in one of the prequels and it's Revenge of a Sith. Revenge of the Sith. It was pretty bad.
Speaker 3: I love that movie though.
Speaker 5: That's my third favorite Star Wars movie.
Speaker 3: I gotta say. But that's why I won't ever be hard on you say and you like Jedi, because I get it. I have my revenge.
Speaker 5: This that's my third favorite. It just got re released and my friends want to see. I'm like, it's so good, like hatting and blowing me off.
Speaker 1: It's great. It did really well. It got like in the top five movies week, Hid in the Chops.
Speaker 5: Oh did he over here too? And then it was gone in a week later.
Speaker 3: I wasn't able to go see it. I was so bummed that was just a week release.
Speaker 5: But going back to what you were saying about the Lando and the Millennium Falcon, what I always got from that scene was him telling there won't be a scratch on it, and then you start seeing it get messed up. It turned into like that Corey Haym Corey feld Me movie License to Drive, where he has he.
Speaker 3: Starts messing it up again, it just goes silly.
Speaker 5: I just think the first half of this movie with Jaba and the Starlac pit and all that stuff, but then once they start getting on. I love the speeder bike scene though too. It's one of my favorite things. But after that is when I start to tune out. I mean, even though one of my favorite shots in the Star Wars movie is the POV from the cockpit with all the tie fighters coming at it, that's probably one that in the Star Destroyer crashing it to the other those are some of my favorite moments from a Star Wars movie. I love that stuff, but it's just unfortunately for me, it's like not my least favorite Star War movie by a mile at all. But as an adult, when I was a kid, I loved the Ewoks stuff. I loved it, but as I got older, it just, yeah, it doesn't work for me as it used to when I was younger.
Speaker 3: And I think that's how it is. What a lot of adults.
Speaker 1: Mentioning those battle scenes at the end, you know, some of the best battle scenes in those Star Wars movies and even some of the late ones. The complexity of some of those shots. There's a documentary which I'm sure you would have seen at some point. It's called How to Film the Impossible, and they visit ILM and this guy's got like the sheet of like a three paper and it's got like a grid on it, and there's an X to mark where every ship interacts with another ship or crosses the path of another ship in that famous shot where there's like seventy five elements or something. Just the complexity that they had to go through doing that optically just kind of blows my mind. I've spoken to some of those guys on my podcast, and I can never quite come to terms with just how difficult that must have been to kind of imagine and plot out and then do optically and still maintain the resolution. And you know, there is a mistake and if famously there is a mistake and it where two Ti fi as appear in front of the falcon rather than behind it where they should be, just for a frame or two. But yeah, some of that stuff in those those bat scenes, it's just fantastic, just the sort of choreography of it, the way that you can read those shots and understand the geography, and they're doing that with models, you know, and doing it optically compositive. It's pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, even just the shots of the Ewok encampment where you've got the three or four different planes of action and you see them in the trees and everything. I was just like, that's really gorgeous because I think of something like, you know, Fellowship of the Ring and they do something similar with when they come to Ribondll and you just see like, oh, yeah, here's this fore ground, here's this background, here's this mid ground action. But to do that all with Matt paintings and double exposures and all these things, it's just like, wow, that's pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Some of the best matte paintings in the I would say, you know, Mike, Mike Pangrats, you know, Chris Evans and I think Harrison Ellershaw might have done some as well, but yeah, some of that. Whenever you see those posters online like these are matte paintings, there's always a thousand people going, wow, I didn't know this was a mate painting. It's such an amazing sort of lost art.
Speaker 3: In a way. Leader's entrance into the movie with all of the troopers there, and you're just like, that's a mate painting. Like the guys that are moving are all real, but then all these stormtroopers standing here, I'm just like, holy shit, that is amazing that you could do that.
Speaker 5: The concept of that Death Star just half built. I think it's iconic.
Speaker 3: It's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is a nice design. There's some fantastic designs in this film. They feel like they belong, don't they that Every kind of even the speed bikes you could, oh yeah, they feel like Star Wars instantly. I think, you know, having those same design as through the trilogy, you know, Nilo and the others, Joe Johnston and yeah, just.
Speaker 3: Even having Joe Johnston and Ralph mcquarie doing those paintings, I mean, it's amazing. Now when I watch some of the newer Star Wars stuff, and I'll be like, oh, I've seen that before. Where have I seen that? And then I think back to those old paintings from seventy seven to eighty eighty three, and I'm just like, that's where I saw it. Like those images are so burn in my mind, like seeing a throwaway character in like the Han Solo story and I'm like, oh, that was one of those McQuary paintings.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I think the Mandalorian used like concept art from Empire dyn used with like the ice spiders or something.
Speaker 1: And what that's right, Yeah, that was a mcquarie, wasn't it.
Speaker 5: When you watch all the making of and then you know this little book where you just see like the bibfit, you know, whatever made it on screen, there was concepts before it, a number of concepts before it that got there.
Speaker 3: All the concepts are amazing.
Speaker 5: Also, it's just like, but you know, they just couldn't pull it off yet.
Speaker 3: We should probably address the elephant or the bantha in the room and talk a little bit about the sister and just this whole from a certain point of view, And yes, there is another kind of thing. That was the thing I was talking about in that people just don't believe when you tell them how much Star Wars changed from beginning to end, because somehow George seems to have sold it that he knew exactly what he was doing from the beginning, and I'm just like, no, that is the absolute opposite of truth. He did not. He might have had a plan, but it changed so much as it went along. I have concepts of a plan. My god, this whole thing of we're going to retro fit Anakin to be your father, and that albi Wan didn't tell you about this stuff, and surprise, you have a sister, so I guess the whole sister thing. It just feels like a way to resolve the romance between Han and Luke and Lea. It doesn't add anything to the story whatsoever. It might have like back during you know, Splinter in the Mind's Eye or something like that, have we learned that they were brother and sister? And that's what those like training scenes in one of those second second trilogy things like where we had the fake layer that just looked absolutely terrible, you know, the d aged layer. Like I was like, oh, well, that reminds me of this thing. But yeah, it's like, why do we have to have that, I guess now because of the force powers that Ben Solo ended up having. But again, that just was all, we don't know what the hell we're doing when it came to that second trilogy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're absolutely right about George, you know, and him kind of changing his mind with you. All you got to do is look at those annotated scripts in that book and look at any interviews he gave early on. Yes, he had plans in his mind to make multiple movies and relogies potentially, but he was mixing and matching ideas, you know, and that's what he did. And you know, like every creative endeavor, you have to think on your feet on the day and try and make the best of it. And I think occasionally he just kind of like lost sight of where things were going. I mean, if it was always his plan for Luke and Leia to be brother and then what the heck was he doing in the Empire strikes back with them sort of creating a kind of love triangle. And yes, that idea was there in early concepts that they were brother and sister, but then he sort of abandoned that. But then, oh, I've got enough money to make another movie. Okay, now we need to kind of resolve this, you know, like he didn't originally have Obi being killed off at the start, you know, and then he realized he was just standing around and had to have that conversation with Guinness. I always think back to, like, there's that moment where Luke says in Star Wars, how did you meet my father? Or how did you know my father? And Alec Guinness does this kind of intake of breath and he looks the other way, like, chit, I've got to tell this story. But I remember seeing an interview the Guinness where he said that at that point, I sort of assumed that there was a backstory. So I just realized that if I just did a little thing with my face, that it would look like this, some big deal went on all those years ago between us. And of course that now has resonance because of we know what I'm you know, evolved afterwards and unfolded afterwards. But yeah, I find those sequences really weird. In returns to edit, when Luke tells Lea that Vader's his father, her reaction is really odd. If she's figuring out, oh, hang on, he's my father too, and he tortured me. And we've been chasing across the galaxy trying to, you know, get rid of this guy. And where's the moment where she even reacts to them being siblings or that she's the daughter of Vader That it's just not there. It just feels really weird, that whole scene. And then Han Solu comes in and he does that really weird sort of patting on the back thing, kind of looking around with Leia. None of that feels I think the only thing that really carries that is the kind of is the atmosphere there. There's that mist sort of hanging in the air, and it's quiet out the back while all the other stuff's going on, and then there's that nice Luke and Layer score going on. I think it would have benefited from having a few more takes or a few more.
Speaker 3: Rewrites that he'll see, You'll tell Luke.
Speaker 5: Caudi another unhandshole of the moment. But where I find fasting about the other thing is I was too young when I saw an empire in the theater to catch the other line.
Speaker 3: It wasn't until like the.
Speaker 5: Secret History of Star Wars, when I listened to that book over and over again. I realized, like how people were like, who is the other? And listening to that book, it's about oh, because George was going to do another trilogy and the other was going to be carried on. According to that book, that's what the other was supposed to be the character that was going to be in the sequel trilogy, because at that point that George Lucas was like, I'm making another trilogy after this, and then somehow while doing Return, he just got burned out and was like, all right, we're not doing that. There was a star log I wish I wrote down which date it was, but it says right in front of me, Star Wars saga continues and it says, you know, Revenge of the Jedi is released.
Speaker 3: I was back when I still called Revenge of the Jedi.
Speaker 5: On May twenty fifth, nineteen eighty three, the firm begins plans for the next trilogy of films in the nine part saga, you know, so they were ready to go with it, and I guess he just got so burnt with Jedi and just knew it's gonna be a nice movie and we're gonna have the Ewok stuff, and he doesn't want to do him anymore. But and then that's when the other turns into Princess Leia. It was like, Okay, now I can turn her.
Speaker 1: Into this other.
Speaker 5: But I guess people were so upset buck in that for waiting three years to find out who the other was. I was too young at the time, so but that stuff. I was all learning from secret history of Star Wars. But I'm And then they said in this Starlog article that they were gonna do the sequel trilogy in reverse order.
Speaker 3: They were gonna do three, two and then one. Wow, yeah, I have it right, I'm looking right at it.
Speaker 5: That wasn't Starlog, so they did when it was Revenge to Jedi before it turned into Return.
Speaker 3: They still had thoughts of.
Speaker 5: Making other Star Wars movies, but then some maybe it was the divorce and everything where he was just like, this is maybe ruining me and I want to keep doing Star Wars is maybe the technology is not where I want it yet, and I'm going to take some time off.
Speaker 3: I'm going to make a lot of experimental films. Now that's my dream. Where Sho got yeah, yeah, we got Howard the Duck.
Speaker 1: That's kind of experimental, and Tucker.
Speaker 3: I tried watching those two Ewach movies today.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, I haven't met That was probably my worst cinema experience as a kid. I remember saying yeah, yeah, and my parents said, oh yeah, We've got surprise for you, and they gave me this tick and I was like the Star Wars like wow, and I'm sitting there going where's Luke, Where's Hans Solo, where's Princess Leia?
Speaker 5: What is this thing?
Speaker 1: And I remember walking out of the cinema and I was that eighty five, so I would have been like eight or nine years old. I think it's the first time I really experienced like the proper disappointment because where are my favorite characters. I want to see the further adventures of these people, you know, where is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: The old look is good either, right, the euarks in there.
Speaker 1: No, they were made pretty cheaply, you know, and they were made or it's like the other thing you think about Jedi, you know, as opposed to the other two. You know, the first one they went to Chinisia. They went to the UK of course to shoot an Elstree. Second one they went to Fincer in Norway and then back into the UK. Obviously also Elstreet's returned to Jeddo. But then they did the rest of it in the States, you know, they it feels like they didn't kind of branch out and go to some exotic place, so you do kind of go, oh, yeah, that's the Redwood Forest and oh yeah, that's that's you Arizona.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe that was a budgetry thing as well, or just to you know, you can kind of understand why Lucas ended up doing so much digitally because all of the pain he went through his sets being blown away and flooding and white outs and snowstorms and all of that stuff. I can totally understand it.
Speaker 3: With the Sands storm that didn't get included.
Speaker 5: But I did the shark documentary Shark Exploitation. When I interviewed Carl Galtlieb and Joe Alves, they boil said and swear by they wish they could have done CG with the shark. They were like, you know, even though we love that fucking shark, we love it and we wouldn't want a CG. But according to them, they're like, in a second, that's what they wish they had because they're the ones that were in the trenches dealing with it and the stress and the harp.
Speaker 3: But they in a second, we'd want to do a CG One Shark.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I mean, I'm making this Joe Al's documentary, have been for a couple years and we're going out to Martha's Vineyards next week to shoot some stuff with Joe. And what's the line Joe said, you know, you might as well give it a go because it's going to be the best there is because nobody else is trying it, you know. And that's how they kind of approached George. It's like, yeah, Okay, we're gonna make this thing. We're gonna put it in the sea, and we're gonna have to find this location with the bed of the beach has got to be this height and that they've got to find, you know, places inland, and it turns out Martha's Vineyard is the right place. George talks about building the sal barge in Return to Jedi, how it took three hundred laborers, five months, whatever the stats are, he says in that documentary, and then it's on film for like minute and a half, two minutes or something. You just have to kind of do the best that you can to get that thing. You don't need to show off the thing that you've made. I think that's one of the real lessons I learned from Georgie in that documentary is you know, you shouldn't ever give yourself a pout on the back for the graft that you've done, the work that you've gone through, because maybe you need to cut that shot out. Actually maybe it doesn't work. Maybe it did take six months to get but maybe it needs to come out of the movie. Maybe return the Jedi needs more of this teachings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's sail bars and then the Sarlac set that they did. It is huge and it'sn't seen to wrap your head around that they built all that.
Speaker 3: I hate this whole thing that we have to go back to tatuin why was Jabba? We don't have the scene of him coming to the docking bay and threatening hand Solough in the world that the three of us grew up and that scene didn't exist. I was job on tattooing, Like why couldn't his palace have been someplace else? And it just feels like we keep coming back to tattooing and like all of these even when it's not tattooing. It's Jaku. It's another desert planet. And I'm just like, come on, guys, like you know, Luke says in the first movie, if there's a bright.
Speaker 5: Center of the universe, you're on the planet that is farthest.
Speaker 3: From classic line. This is the backwater burb. But instead it becomes the center of the fucking universe for all nine movies. And you're just like, for christis, can we get away from tattooing? Thank God? They don't go back to tattooing in an empire. Use some other planets, man, Let's go see some other places. But this is just like, all right, we're back here. We're doing this again. And you know, basically, they replace Darth Vader as a bad guy with the Emperor. And even when it came to the Emperor as a kid, I was a little disappointed because I was like, oh, he's just a little old man, like I was expecting somebody like tall and grandiose and somebody very very commanding. Instead he's just like he's like mister Burns basically, the way he carries his hands and stuff. It paid a pretty penny for this pretty penny, but it was worth it, though, I do love what a snide bastard he is, especially when they're.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends are right.
Speaker 3: Oh man, the way he's just mocking Luke, I'm like, Okay, that's pretty good. I like that and like mcderman's voice, especially in this movie.
Speaker 1: I think it's the best sort of version of the Emperor. I think in the pre cause it just feels like he's wearing this really big kind of prosthetic and it all feels a bit fake where he's sort of hooded and you don't quite you see his piercing eyes, but you don't get kind of good look in. I think that's a good thing In Jedi. I quite like the Emperor. It's a terrible action figure. I remember sending off like give it a row. I remember sending off tokens for that like, and it was like one per household and one to my other grandparents, one to my house. And then I got, wow, it looks it looks like my nana.
Speaker 3: Those little Kenner proofs of purchase. Well, and then it had the electric like plastic thing that you could put on it so it looked like force the original I didn't have that either.
Speaker 11: Ninety Yeah, this one was just like the walking stick and a gray thing with a face. That was it, and the cloak was plastic. It was no, they didn't give you it was the moment, wasn't it.
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Why were jawas the best action figures because they had the cloth cloaks.
Speaker 1: I had another Ben Canobi and I painted it like gray and put Luke's Jedi robe on him and that was my Emperor nice.
Speaker 5: I was so cussed up with that much better. Well, you're talking about tattoo in. I mean it was going back to what I was talking about with Raiders of the Lost Stark. I think they just want to remind people everything from the first movie again somehow by putting it back there. That's my only thought of why they wouldn't put him somewhere else. Yeah, because, like you said, it doesn't you know, you could just call.
Speaker 3: It a difference. It doesn't have to be that play.
Speaker 1: You're right, And there wasn't there something in some of the early scripts that Luke was going to go back to Ben's house to try and discover something about building a lightsaber, and you know, so you've got that, so then when they remove that, it's like I was talking about earlier, They're like, okay, so we're still on tattooing, but we're going to do this now, So where's the motivation to go there anymore? It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: That makes sense. When I was talking about the cave, I was thinking, oh, that kind of looks like Ben's house, But they don't ever short from the other angle inside the cave looking out.
Speaker 1: It is a cave in that instance, because there's a matte painting that was unused that had like a little cut out for R two and three PO and you could see the X wing and presumably the Y wing the layer and two ear arrived in. Yeah, I think again, it's like each time they sort of change their mind on how a scene was going to work or who was going to be involved, they forgot the original intention of why they were there in the first place, and therefore it loses its meaning.
Speaker 5: Well, Yeah, like in your film Dementary, you had this whole thing about prune faced action figure characters that were supposed to be on endoor, and I'm like, why weren't they on endoor helping the fight and stuff like that? That's kind of disappointing.
Speaker 3: I never noticed those guys, Thank you, jam Neither did I those guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, to watch Jamie's film and Dementary, it's fucking phenomenal. Instead of watching a return watching Return of the Jedi, watched that.
Speaker 1: Returning to Jedi still on Vimeo. But I remember when there was that sort of little resurgence of Star Wars, the sort of the dark times. I remember about nineteen ninety one going to Forbidden Planet here in London, and there was a fanzine there called the UK Star Wars Fan Club, and it was a black and white fanzine. I think I had a color cover, but it's all black and white in the middle. And there was an article in there, a feature in that each quarter or whatever it was, and it said have you noticed I think was the line, And I wrote in to say, oh, I've just bought the wide screen versions of the film, and for the first time I've seen FX seven, the medical droid on the left hand side of the frame in the Rebel meeting. And then wait a minute, there's like the proof faced guys in the back and I'd never seen them in the four by three before, and all of that stuff, and when you bought those widescreen editions and blew them up to horrible low resolution, there was so much more in the frame, you know that, Like you see that big, weird a man of Man character, like the yellow and green guy with the staff with the skulls on it, and all of these amazing designs that are sort of lurking in the background. Because those early VHS's I had, they were so murky, like you could barely see any detail in them. I remember watching Alien on the VHS for the first time. I could barely see a damn thing. But yeah, I remember that was a big thing, the UK Stars Fang Club, and then there was that build up in like, oh, George is going to re release the movies and he's going to make some changes, and then there's Stars Insider magazines coming out and all of that, and then you know, it just was a sort of arc of disappointment from there on.
Speaker 3: Really, let's go ahead and take a break in them. We'll be back to talk about those dark times and maybe talk about the unmasking of Darth Vader as well. If we're talking about disappointments anyway, We'll be back in a few minutes with an interview with producer Jim Bloom right after these brief messages.
Speaker 10: Classically is a film Journey to the East, a curated streaming service offering the best of contemporary and classic cinema from Eastern Europe and Asia. Using coupon code Mike fifty, you can get Classic Membership for just five dollars fifty cents a month, giving you the opportunity to sample award winning films, documentaries, silent masterpieces, classic comedies and more. You could also get access to the Classically Journal, exclusive cast and director interviews, video essays, and watch lists. Visit Klassiki dot online and sign up now to start your adventure in film.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask you about Jedi, especially because your title changed between Empire and Jedi, and I was curious as far as how did your fonsibilities changed between the two films.
Speaker 12: On the Empire Strikes Back, I was originally hired as an assistant producer and then because of my responsibilities and my work, Gary came to me with I'm sure George's blessing and said, you've done such a good job, we want to make you an associate producer and have you share that title with Robert. Robert was one of the great men. Originally when we were hired, because Gary offered me a job as an assistant producer, that was my title, you know, which could mean a lot of different things. But I knew quite a bit about movie making at that particular point, and I had started with them in nineteen seventy two on American Graffiti and had stayed in touch with them over the years. Then you know, it was like in November December seventy eight, early seventy eight, Gary calt and said I'd like you to be my assistant, and it was like WHOA. I had seen Star Wars and I had loved it, and I remember, you know, if.
Speaker 8: I need to talk quicker, just just give me a.
Speaker 12: And I also tend to jump around to quite a bit I had gone to In the spring of seventy seven, I went to visit Gary in his office at Universal, and he because I had stayed in touch with him over the years, and he was kind of like a mentor to me, and I enjoyed talking to him, and if I needed a piece of advice he would often offer to me. And he took out this coffee table book of still photos that had been camped of Star Wars because it was a couple of weeks before the release of the movie, and it just like blew me away, completely blew me away. It was just like, oh my god, look at this stuff. This is just fucking amazing. And you know, I was just so taken with the look of these, you know, mostly black and white, comped photos that they put together in this coffee table book. And then when the picture opened, I went to see it the first weekend and I was so taken. I was attempted to stay there and watch it again, but I didn't want to get back in line. But I'm sure I saw it again very soon after. But I went to summer early early show at the Regency, which was the big theater at the time in San Francisco, you know, big seventeen millimeter screen, blah blah blah, and I was just like, you know, everybody else, well that was Star Wars. Yeah, I was just like whoa. And then anyway, after Star Wars came out and it did so well, I went to work in the summer of seventy seven. My first job as a first assistant director was with Matthew Robbins directing Corvette Summer, where I met with Corvette Summer, at which point Mark got into a car accident and completely blew his face apart. Unfortunately, a little bit before it worked this great looking California surfer Kate and just destroyed his face in this car accident, which is why in Empire the movie opens with the wampa ripping it face apart, because they needed a reason to say what happened to Mark's face, and that was it. They covered him up and the wamper rips his face apart, which is why he looked so different. I was a very young first, a d even by any standards. I was twenty four. I hadn't turned twenty five yet, and it was pretty young to be an assistant director at that time. And then after Corvette Summer, Phil Kaufman asked me to work on The Body Snatchers, which I did, which was great. It still holds up today as a great movie, even more so today than before because, you know, one of the great lines from the movie, Donald Sutherland says to forgetting Brooks name her last name, at the moment she sort of becomes his love interest in the movie, you know, with like what's happened to my husband. You know, he's not the same anymore. And Donald says, well, maybe he's become a Republican, you know, because he's become a pod person and he's just like so weird. Yeah, and more true today than it's ever been before. And it was true in the nineteen seventies, you know, but even more so now than it was then, unfortunately, and much to my dismay and depression. And then after that Gary call and he said, I'd like you to come work for me on Empire. Oh, you know, what do you want me to do? I want you to be my assistant producer.
Speaker 5: I want you to help me.
Speaker 12: I want you come to London. I want you to go on location and help me make this movie because it's going to be bigger and you'd like you were around.
Speaker 8: And it was like whoa.
Speaker 12: And I remember saying to him, you know, I said, Gary, you know I always thought at this point in my career, I might sort of turn my attention to becoming a director because I'd worked with so many great directors. I mean, it was just like mind boggling that in my short career I had gotten to work with George and Francis Coppola and Sam and Bob Vautman and Hal Ashby and Phil Kaufman and Matthew and I'm sure I'm going to forget some people, Steven Spielberg, all these great directors, and I had learned so much from working with all of them. Yet after working with Phil, I thought, I think I could do this. I think I've needed to plus forty six episodes on the Streets of San Francisco TV show working with Carl Malden and Michael Douglass and what treat that was. And Gary said, Jim, He said, I want to tell you that there isn't anything that you're not going to learn on this show working with me that won't make you a better director.
Speaker 8: And he was right.
Speaker 12: There wasn't anything. You know, I learned so much working on those movies, and I've learned a lot about producing movies as well, and an incredible amount of visual effects because my first part of working on Jedi was to move ILM from Dan Eyes up to Santa Fell and to hire all the guys that I brought up who had worked on Star Wars up to Santa Fell. You know those guy guys when you think of the core guys and what they've all gone on to do. Jennis muirn Joe Johnston, Richard Edlin, Phil Tippett, Ken Ralston, Bruce Nicholson, Laurene Peterson and Steve Galli, Peter Kuran, all the guys who went on to lead all of the key departments at ILM. And so when I started my job on Empire, working at the Parkway House, which is George's office, and you know, I was in some little back room, the kitchen, you know, it was where my office was, and you know, working with Why used a joke I called the Parkway Princesses, which were Jane Bay and Lucy Uchiever Golson and Chrissy England, you know, and previously went on to run ILM and become a great production person and all these other people. And then they had found the warehouse in Santra Fell where ILM was going to be. And then we went to work on building ILM into a visual effects facil you know, with being sort of multi purpose, which was to be a visual effects facility, but when we weren't making Star Wars movie, it would become a visual effects facility for other movies. And the first two other movies that we did at that time were Dragon Slayer and then Raiders of the Loss, you know, the next two movies that came through ILM, and then you know, we got ready to do Jedi. So to serve it explaining the difference between the two things was that I was the general manager at ILM as well as being the associate producer on the movie. So I had two hats to wear, and Gary wanted me to go to run the second unit in Norway. You know, it was like his producer, second unit producer in Norway. And so I moved to London in November of seventy eight and then stayed there November December January February, scouted Norway with everybody, and then went back with the unit in early February when we began principal photography, and principal photography was supposed to be five days and turned it to seven or eight blah blah blah. And then I stayed with the second unit, which was supposed to be two or three weeks and became six or seven. Because as the joke is, all the weather, it's never this bat until the movie company shows up, and that's exactly what happened. There were days on end when just like there were with the first unit, that it was a complete white out and we couldn't get up on the glacier to shoot. It just wasn't safe to go up there.
Speaker 8: You could just you couldn't see.
Speaker 12: And we were we were in these snowcats, and we were following.
Speaker 8: The way the cross country skiers did.
Speaker 12: The Norwegians just go out and go, but they tie themselves and they go from poll to get up to the glacier, to get up the mountain or go where they were doing, because there are a lot of dangerous grasses are But we couldn't move a unit up there and work. And I mean we always used to joke that, you know, they would serve pasta for lunch and from the time got from the plate to your mouth, it was frozen, you know, or you take a pee in the time that the pe hit the snow, it was frozen. You know, it was really could But then you know, it was you know, February into March, and later in March. Eventually it got a little bit better, and then we got our work done and you know, some of the most important work, which is why Gary wanted me there was because I understood the visual effects of the movie, and I understood how critical when you put a shot together. It's not just the unknown Rebel troopers running away from the explosions planted in the snow, but it's being able to see the snow Walkers coming up from behind them and the other guys people. You know, they hadn't made a lot of effects movies before then. It was still a very young business back in the late seventies and eighties as far as what they had done on Star Wars and what we were trying to do on Empire. And so I used to argue with Peter McDonald, who was the second unit director, and then he would set up a shot and I'd look through the lens and I'd go, Peter, we got to frame up. I said, what do I need to frame up for? I said, because the snow Walkers are back there, and the snow Walkers are firing laser cannons into the snow that are creating the explosions in the foreground, in the mid ground that all of these troops are running away from. Okay, he would do that, and then you've got this beautiful battle that we created up there. And then the other thing that I also knew that was critically important were all of the snow Speeder helicopter background plates that we shot with a sixty five millimeter camera mounted on a gyroscopic Westcam rig for you know, understanding all that stuff and appreciating the movie and knowing all of the storyboards by heart and all of the great, you know, conceptual work that Ralph McCrory did, who I became very friendly with, you know, during those days. You know, I just had a great appreciation for how beautiful the movie could be because I knew that Ralph did it on Star Wars, and I knew what we can do it again. And you know, I also try to instill on everybody this spirit core.
Speaker 8: We're making a sequel, but it's going to be better.
Speaker 12: It's not going to be shitty, because most sequels were crappy and this was shitty. So when Empire was over, George came to me with Howard Kazangian, and first it was Charlie Weber, but anyway, they said, we want you to be a co producer on Jedi, you know, and there be two of you, you and Robert be in the UK and you'll be over here. Because the other mandate for Jedi different than Empires that we were going to shoot all the location work in the United States because it was getting too dangerous to go to Tunisia. You had your job is stuff there, and you know, we need you to find a desert. And George Joyce had a vision to do a Redwood planet, you know, Redwood planet, which is what we did. And so you know, we had to go out and find those locations in the US and you know, hire the cruise and blah blah blah. The other thing that was advantageous is that we were a San Francisco based company, not an LA based company, and I knew who all the good crew guys were in San Francisco, which there was one, you know, which was which was a challenge because they're not as talented as the LA guys were. Because at that point I had worked with San Francisco Cruise and done a lot of work with LA Cruise, you know on Batford Glory and Coming Home and Close Encounters and Hack and Pause movie.
Speaker 8: The Killer or Leading.
Speaker 12: You know, I knew what it was like to do a studio movie, to do independent movies out of LA how talented. You know, the movie business was in Los Angeles, it wasn't in San Francisco, and so but I had to kind of covel a group together that had the chops to do a movie like Jedi. So the responsibilities changed. And the other thing that changed was that we made Empire and I went to London November to go was not for me to be the general manager of ILM, but to be system producer on the picture and to be overseeing ILM a little bit, but to hire a general manager. And I hired a guy who I had worked in the live action because I felt that he had the production responsibility that wasn't emblematic at that point in the visual effects business in the US, because you know, who are you going to hire. They either worked on Close Encounters here, worked on Star Wars. You had either worked for Doug Trumbull, or you work for you know, the First John Company. And so I said, gee, this makes a lot of sense to me to bring some production guys in here, because they know about making movies.
Speaker 8: And it's not that much different.
Speaker 12: You know, you got different groups, but everybody's contributing the movie, and the scheduling is a little bit different, and so I brought that skill set with me to Empire.
Speaker 8: So I hired a guy who I.
Speaker 12: Had worked with on the Streets of San Francisco TV show, who lived up there, who knew a lot of the local guys, and I also hired him because I knew he could make a deal with the local union rep too, because we kind of had to do that in order to bring the guys out of LA. And the guy in San Francisco was a vice president in the IA nationally and he had the cajone ace in the USIA to tell the guys in LA, no, we're doing it this way, and I'm going to do it that way, and he would listen to him because he was on that executive board. So it worked out that way. There were other financial reasons why we didn't want to do it with the LA group. We wanted to do it as a San Francisco group, and we got special dispensations from the IA in LA when we do the live action photography to hire camera guys and construction coordinators and special effects guys to.
Speaker 3: Do the work that had to be done.
Speaker 8: And when it came to like.
Speaker 12: Grip and electric and stuff, we mostly worked with local guys out of San Francisco under their contract, and the LA guys would come up and work under the Sam Francisco contract and it got worked out. So you know, I did a lot of that stuff. And then on Jedi after production was over, the guy who I hired from streets of San Francisco was like, I can't deal with these visual effects guys. They're just it's just too much for me. With their official effects guys are different than live action guys. You know, live action, Oh, we're going to go in and get it done and blah blah blah, and you're moving all the time and it's quick, and the visual effects guys are they're a pretty nerdy group. I mean, if you talk to these guys, I say it affectionately because I really love all these guys because I knew them so well. We were all like a family. But it's a different group because they had a very different vision of filmmaking. You know, live action has put the camera down, get the actors, get the shot, you know, blah blah blah, and visual effects is like I got to build twenty different layers on how I'm going to put a shot together until it's finally done, and back then everything was in the optical printer, you know, it wasn't digital. He kind of missed being on the set. And after I came back from London, what happened was then we finished the Norwegian stuff and I was supposed to stay in London for the rest of the shoot, but Gary came to me and said, things are not going well in Santra Fella. I want you to go home and supervise what's happening there. And I got back there as soon as I was there.
Speaker 8: Over a few weeks. Dick said, you're here.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 8: It's been fun, but I'm out of here.
Speaker 3: You don't need me.
Speaker 8: You do it, you know it, you understand it better than I do.
Speaker 12: I don't enjoy it. I'm taking off. So he left and then I took over at ILEM and we put the picture out, and back then it was a very difficult, complicated movie to do because we're doing stuff that nobody had done before. So those are different responsibilities. And when Empire was over, I didn't want to spend my life running a visual effects facility. I wanted to be a film producer. I didn't want to be a visual effects general. Manager, and George wanted me to stay on and run the place. I saw gona like to find somebody to take my place, because I'd like to go back and make movies again. I liked making movies from here the script, let's go make it all the way into the theater. But I like working with directors. And he said okay. And then I brought Tom Smith in, who I had worked with right after American Graffiti. He was a documentarian, but he's kind of a nerdy guy. I mean, I had that nightly, a very technical filmmaker, you know, a cameraman editor, knew a lot about filmmaking. Tom came in and it was a good opportunity for Tom. Tom fell right in and he became the general manager for many years until he left, and then he became a producer at one point, you know, produced visual effects and produced features and stuff like that. I still talked to Tom, you know, he's still a friend. And so then Tom came in, and then after photography was over, Jedi was set up in such a way that hal Berwood and Matthew Robbins, who I'd mentioned before, who I had met on close encounters, when they came into do additional script writing and also worked as like the first two characters to walk off the mother ship when it landed in the box down in because they were at the pilots from the nineteen forties who got carried away by the aliens. They were going to go make a movie called The Grid, which is this great science fiction time travel movie that I often think that Terminator stole from at some point because it's all about coming from the future back to the present to fix something that will affect the future. Great we never made it, unfortunately, you know, it's one of those I put a design team together for Matthew al was going to be the executive producer because he was going to off and direct. So I was going to produce the picture, and we were set up at the Lab Company, and we needed a lot of pre production so to figure out what the movie was going to look like and what it was going to cost. This, you know, that was part of this way of making movies then if you were doing stuff that but he could quite visualize, and I hired Sid Meade. You know, Sid used to be this great designer at a wonderful great designer, industrial designer, and Ralph McCrory and a guy named Peter Lloyd out of Colorado. We have this great art department and this guy's turned out all this wonderful conceptual stuff for this time travel movie. When we were like designing the future and designing the President, and I was in touch with a well known professor of linguistics from UC Berkeley named George Lakeoff, who is going to help us create a language of the future five hundred years from now. And we were going to do some of the future stuff with subtitles, you know, but people would be speaking whatever English was going to be. Yeah, it was really cool. It was a great idea. Anyway, the right stuff came out and it was a great movie, but it tanked. And when it tanked, the lad Company Warner Brothers said no, we're not going to make the grit and tell them to go find a partner. We'll give you fifty percent of the budget. Anyway, we didn't make the movie. There were things that I learned that I found out later when I went to work at studio about the way movies are made that I didn't know then, And it's like, I wish I would have known then what I know now. You know, which is when I'm forgetting the guy's name at Universal, you know, cent to me, I'll make it for sixteen million, but I wouldn't do it a penny more. And I said, you know, I really need eighteen to do it. He said, I'm a only going to give you sixteen. That company will put up eight. All put up eight, and then you go make your movie. And I should have said, let's go. You know, I should have just said let's do it, because I should have learned the lesson. But Steven taught me on close encounters, which was very funny, which was we were getting close to going at photography and the guys at Columbia said to Steven, lose two days out of the schedule. You got to cut back by two days. And it's like, I don't know where are we.
Speaker 8: Going to find two days.
Speaker 12: And I went into a meeting with Steven's office with the first assistant director, Truck Myers is a great ad and I was his second. And we gave Stephen the board and we said, Steven, we don't know where to find two days. Here's the board. And Steven said, give me the board. And we handed the board to Steven and he took the board. He went and he shook it. Two little day strips, which is how you separated the days on a production board, fell out, and he picked him up and he handed him to chucking me and he said, here, those are your two days.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 12: He knew that once they got into it and they were making the movie, they're not going to stop him.
Speaker 8: There's no way then.
Speaker 12: You know. The thing that I learned when I went to work at Sony as a creative and production executive was the filmmakers tell you eighteen, and the executives tell the corporation twenty, you know, and everybody's got a buffer built into this thing that you're doing so that they all look good. Well, it's just a that's a fucking game. The Grid would have been a really great movie, particularly because of the time. I love time travel and science fiction type stuff, and one of my favorite movies is Chris Mark Versus Laste, great movie. I remember producer named Tom Luddy who passed away a couple of years ago, who was one of the first director curators of the Pacific Film Mark.
Speaker 8: I can Berkley and when.
Speaker 12: I came out to cal and went to school, I used to go to the film markive all the time and watch movies and hang out in the projection booth with the projectionist and watch movies, or go down and see movies and our remember Us where I first saw Loge Italian. That just blew me away. It's like, it's a great movie. I just love the story. I just love the love story. You know, a guy who dreams, and he keeps dreaming. You know that he's on the jetty and he's witnessing something and he's not sure what it is, and he falls in love with this woman and who's this woman?
Speaker 8: And then they grab him.
Speaker 12: Because he's got this intense dream quality about him and they need somebody who's a dreamer that they can send to the past or to go figure out what's wrong. Anyway, I just thought it was a great idea. There were like the qualities about that that Halm Matthew borrowed to do the Grid. It was a love story and there's a woman in the present and a woman in the future, and you know they're trying to solve a problem. All the stuff just looked great. You know, the stuff that Ralph came up with, Sid came up with. It was just like the first time I saw the Star Wars design stuff, it.
Speaker 3: Was like WHOA One difference as well between the two films was Gary Kurtz. He mentioned that he was kind of a mentor to you. How was that not having him on the production of Jedi?
Speaker 8: It was different.
Speaker 12: Gary and George had a falling out, you know. I think it's well documented that Empire went millions of dollars over budget because of lots of different reasons. Georgie decided he didn't want Gary to be the producer on Jedi, so we hired Howard. And then Howard came in and it was fine. It was different, you know, very different guys, different producers, different backgrounds, you know, different sensibilities, you know, all those things. But from my point of view, it was fine. You know, we were working with Kirshner, was the best of the Star Wars directors Empires. I think Empire's best movie, you know, and I love Star Wars as well. And then you know, I think Jedi was a different movie than the first two for lots of different reasons, different story thematically, where the company was at that point in time, what the mandates were, all of those different things. What was happening in Georgie's life, both professionally and personally, and et cetera, et cetera. You know, Curse is a real director. The performances that the actors give are by far the best in Empire. I think, you know, these some great stuff, you know, I all these joke that Princess Leah's you know, whine in the snow cave. I'd rather kiss a wookie, And Hans says, I can arrange that, you know, just little things like that, you know, or I love you know, I forgin, I love you, I know Han soul goes, I know, you know, there's just stuff between the characters that was. You know, George is a great director, but I think Chris is really an actor's director. You have that sensibility. I love Kursh She's a great guy. I got to know him really well. He's a very funny guy.
Speaker 3: Did you interact with Richard Markuan that much?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 12: I did, yes, And I think it was a tough show for Richard because we sort of took a director with not the experience that like a Kersh had and put him into George's world. So he always would look to George, say what do you think, what do you think? And so that was part of you know, I don't think he quite understand visual effects the way that George did at all. So that was also a challenge to come on board for all of that. And George was around quite a bit during the shooting with Richard, depending on what was going on, because I think he sort of needed that help and support. You know, most of the time work was happening because it's you know, you're in like, you know, how you want to come work playing George's playground, you know, I mean that's kind of what you're doing. From Star Wars to Empire was a little bit different, but from Empire to Jedi it was a lot different on top of that, because it's really it's George's world. It's George's movie in a sense.
Speaker 3: And but yeah, I did.
Speaker 12: I liked Richard, but I think it was a tough assignment, but certainly one that he was happy.
Speaker 8: To take on it.
Speaker 12: Who wouldn't be happy to take on And you want to be a millionaire come direct these movies. I mean that's kind of like a crass bottom line, but you know, it's the movie that you know, it is a business after all, and people think that way. You know, not only that, but it's also you want to, you know, come direct a sequel to the two most successful movies of all time or top five or whatever it is. It's like, how does the director say?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 12: They usually don't unless their last name is Spielberger says, or you know what I mean?
Speaker 8: And that wasn't Richard.
Speaker 12: I mean, I don't know how many features Richard had done before. You know, he did Iye of the Needle, which is a good movie, and I think the movie that attracted him to George.
Speaker 3: I know, with so many producers, so much of it is solving problems, and I was curious as far as some of the problems that you had to solve while you're making this, from.
Speaker 12: My point of view, is logistical through. That was the really first challenge for me was putting a unit together without being able to call on all of the key people out of Los Angeles and keep the quality of the work up to where it had to be to make a Star Wars movie.
Speaker 8: That was a big issue.
Speaker 12: The other issue was initially was finding the locations. Okay, we want to go shoot in the desert, where do you do that? In the United States, and you know, we looked all over Robert and Norman Reynolds. Norman is a great, wonderful production designer and a lovely guy, great guy. We took this reconnaissance for about two or three weeks where we went looking for locations for the desert and then for the woods. We went from La outside of Vegas to Saint George, Utah, all around Utah, into Colorado, into the Four Corners area of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah. You know, looking around those areas trying to find jobas you know, where's where are we going to build a barge? Nobody would ever build a barge can today and that then nobody had ever built a set as big as we built.
Speaker 8: Outside of Arizona.
Speaker 12: We built a sailboat that didn't sail in the middle of the dunes, you know what I mean. It's like I remember when we first talked to sailing consultants who we hired to work on the movie, and it's like they said, Okay, what do you want to do? He said, we want to build a sailboat in the desert, and they would look at us like, what, who builds a sailboat that doesn't sell? You're going to put in the desert where it's windy, and how are we going to keep it from moving when the sails are sailboats, that's how they were, and you put the sails up and the sails apply pressure to the boat to make it go through the water. So those are some of the challenges. Was building this huge, fucking built a boat down in the middle of the desert. So it was like being down there and getting the crew in and the time to do it all. And then the other difficult part about the Redwoods is all the Great Redwoods are either in national parks, in state parks, or on private property. And the national parks and state parks are happy to have you just stay on the path, don't walk off the path. We need to plant some explosions in the trees. It was like, what, no, we can't do that, nor would you expect them to. And then the private forest people who owned a lot of the original growth primary growth, never touched redwood. They didn't know why anybody near it because it was back during the Save the Redwoods time and they didn't want word out that they had stuff like this because they wanted to log it. They didn't want movie people coming in, left wing movie people coming in and letting people know where their old primary growth forests were. So the challenge was is how do you find somebody who's got it. Well, we did, you know, And what's interesting is that we found this. It was a curtain of primary growth redwood between Highway one oh one and this completely logged out old growth strand of redwoods. And they left the curtain up so that people on the highway couldn't see how they demolished all of the wood behind it. And that's why it was there, because they were saying, okay, we're going to From their business point of view, it was I think it was a private company. I wasn't a public company. It wasn't like Pacific Lumber. It was a small family group called Miller Realm and it was like Miller and then spelled the name backwards.
Speaker 8: That was the name of the group.
Speaker 12: And they owned these beautiful trees just south of the Oregon border and between Crescent City and the Oregon border. And our location supervisor for that redwood stuff a woman named Mickey Herman. She had scouted the entire coast of California. She knew every redwood grow from Santa Cruz to the Oregon border. She's seen it all in helicopters. And she hired a local guy up in Crescent City who turned out.
Speaker 8: To be a savior as far as finding this.
Speaker 12: And he found this piece of property and he knew the people, and they invited U sent And the first day that we went looking through the Redwood location, I remember walking through the redwoods, the thousand year old redwood groves, and walking down into the hill and stepping into fern force that were the ferns were up to my shoulder and seeking into the leaves and all of this gross underneath these huge you know, like near woods type redwoods, And I felt like I'd been transported back, you know, thousands of years to be in this farce. I mean, it was a religious experience to do that. The stuff had never been touched. And so they said, oh, yeah, you can shoot here. We want to put things on the trees. Okay, do whatever you want. We need to build a road, no problem.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 12: It was like we found the redwood planet, and we found these trees that we thought we'd never yet.
Speaker 8: It was just amazing.
Speaker 12: Those are some of the challenges. Okay, let's go find the locations. We got to do it here in the States because we're not going in Norway for the snow, or not glad of Tornesia for the desert, et cetera, et cetera. Anyway, we found everything, and we had to kind of launch those units and make it all work.
Speaker 8: And then we had to integrate a.
Speaker 12: UK crew with an American crew because the UK guys were only bringing their keys over, not their all their support people. Had to integrate art departments US Art Department, UK Art Department. And we also had a big second unit up in the Redwoods. We had to put a US second unit together to do all the second unit work, all the Ewok battle stuff without the principles, you know, with walker feet and trees falling over and tree gags and explosions and you know, stuff like that. And we also had the Ewoks, which was the largest congregation of little people since the Wizard of Oz, you know, nobody had ever made, you know, which was which is great fun, you know in a way. And they were all up in like you know, and we put them all together in a like two or three motels up in it's north of Smith River Brookings in Brookings, Oregon because it was close and you know, it was kind of remarkable. We also did the whole Blue Harvest thing, you know, because I knew that we couldn't make a Star Wars movie, you know, without somebody going, oh Star Wars shirt, there goes the It was ten dollars became fifty. So I said to George early on, I said, let's we need to come in like we're making another movie. And I thought, let's just pretend it's like making a horror movie. And I tried to come up with the most boring name that I could think of, and it was like Blue Harvest. And the whole idea behind the named Blue Harvest is it was supposed to uninspire you to ask, right. It wasn't like a horror movie like each you're young, you know what I mean. There was nothing active about it, nothing made that It was too like peak your curiosity when you think of like Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Living, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: There was nothing less.
Speaker 12: I said, no, no, no boring. It's like the Harvest. That boring and the fact that you know you're going to take that and combine it with it wasn't like red harvest or blood harvest. It was like blue harvest.
Speaker 8: It's like blue. It's like this passive color, you know what I mean.
Speaker 12: It was supposed to put you to sleep, and so that's where blue Harvest came from. And the tagline was supposed to be ridiculous, horror beyond imagination, Like who wrote that line? It's like so cliched, you know what I mean. It was just supposed to be dumb. And so that's why that's where all of that came from, you know, And it kind of worked for a while, you know, until people started talking about Harrison and Cowrie and Mark and R two and C three po and snow walkers and speeders in Daha and we did it in Yngan, we did it, so it kind of worked. The other thing we were trying to do is that as Star Wars it become so popular that there was a huge following of fans who were going through the trash cans at Isle m and looking for stuff all the time. We just wanted to make sure that nothing happened to attract any attention to that. So that's where Blulble Blue Harvest was. So yeah, it worked for a while.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of titles, what do you remember as far as the title changing from revenge to return and then.
Speaker 8: It was revenge.
Speaker 12: And I said to George one day, and maybe other people said the same thing, and I said to him, I don't know if a Jedi would seek revenge. It's not part of the Jedi philosophy. And he went to my George imitation, Yeah, that's interesting. Now, only think about that. You know, within like a week or so, it changes the return of the Jedi. Revenge is a better word for a movie, but it's not what the movie is about. It's really about the return of the Jedi. So it changed from I still have Revenge of the Jedi t shirts and sweatshirts and you know, but it changed from revenge to return. I guess other people must upset it too, because I remember reading something about it a while ago. But then there's a lot of not invented here stuff that happens in Hollywood. When you have a good idea, you sometimes find out years later that other people take credit for it.
Speaker 3: He said, you're doing a lot with the second unit. Was that George directing that?
Speaker 12: No, it was David Tomlin directed that, and David was the first assistant director on Empire and then on Jedi, and he was a good second unit director because when we were shooting the second unit up in the woods, the first unit was back at doing Blues screen work, and because it was with the Principles, George wanted to be with them, so.
Speaker 8: He gave the second unit to David. Were with that point was.
Speaker 12: Very well versed in the Star Wars universe, having worked on Empire and all of Jedi with. Richard had also worked with some of the greatest directors in the world as well in his career, and he was sort of a really good choice and had directed second unit before. Because the second unit stuff was mostly action stuff with stunt men and battle stuff and special effects, and because he had a good grasp of visual effects at that point, he stayed on to do that, and we were essentially shooting storyboard sequences. Just all that stuff had all been storyboarded the head of time, so we knew which pieces we were doing and when and what they looked like, and everything was sort of built to accommodate all that. David stayed on to do the second unit when we were up in the woods, and then sometimes we had like a third unit, and I directed a few shots, you know, like I did in Norway Little Things, Robots moving right to left or whole Second Night Little Things.
Speaker 3: I've always been so impressive as far as the way that the miniatures match with the rest of that, especially like the logs rolling in the atsdes and all that. It looks so good.
Speaker 12: The challenge was not so much matching the miniatures to the real, but matching the real to the miniatures, because most of the stuff that you see is mostly models miniature stuff, either matted into shots or complete shots with just the miniatures in them.
Speaker 8: And you know, most of the time.
Speaker 12: We did have a full sized chicken walker up there, but it didn't really move it just you know, wasn't really practical to move it around. You can kind of see it, but it was built and designed and created a book. The great detail that the guys in the model shop and the stop motion guys did with Phil Tippett and John Berg and that whole stop motion group that did a lot of the snow walker and the little chicken walker type stuff. I'm sure if that was the name that they finalizes.
Speaker 8: Driver.
Speaker 3: How'd you even move that thing around?
Speaker 8: Or a crane?
Speaker 3: You know, then find a spot or it.
Speaker 8: You know, it came in pieces.
Speaker 12: They bring the pieces down and then get some crane down there or something small to kind of build it up again. That put scaffolding around it and just construct it. It didn't move too much when it was there. I think the viral quill quite a few years prety limited and maybe what it could do, and it didn't always worked the way you wanted it to.
Speaker 8: It's like big stuff. Those are tough pieces to move around.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a.
Speaker 3: Pretty arduous shoot. But did you have fun on it?
Speaker 12: I don't know if I ever had fun shooting one of the movies because they're just so difficult and so complex and there are so many pieces and so many elements that you need to keep in mind all the time, but the way it's all being assembled and put together. Ansley enjoyed working with the people that I worked with. And I loved working with George because he's so brilliant as a filmmaker, and loved working with a lot of the English crew. I just love working with Norman Reynolds and working with Robert Watts because they were so professional and so much fun to make a movie with. I love my team of people who I put together, you know, I was you know, back in those days. It was always very important to me because of how I grew up in movies, to put good people together, to like leave your personality at the door. People you know, and you were like working on the movie together, and it's not about ego. It's about you know, doing what's right for the movie and making the good decisions, and you try to leave the ego, you know, is to put a group considerate human beings together, because I'd worked on a bunch of movies where people were not considering and there were too many assholes around, and it just you know, you know, making movies is hard enough without having to be surrounded by people like that. So it was always very important for me to put a When people used to say this about the movies that I produced, it was just so nice. That was important to me to hire key people would be good people. Life's too short, you know, making movies is hard enough to make a movie without having to work dickheads, you know, and so you try to avoid that kind of stuff whenever you can. So there were lots of people who enjoy their work, people who care about the work. You know, people are mean and shitty and they don't care and they're just cheap. When somebody's faced with an opportunity of making a decision of I can do this or I can do that. If I do that, i'm helping them. And if I do this this fuck them. If you're not nice to them, they go fuck them. I asked for this or I wanted to do that, and they said no, it's fuck you go hang yourself. The old expression used to be, if they're going to hang themselves, don't stand on the rope and you try. I never enjoyed that, you know, so that if I went to somebody and I needed a favor, I wanted to do something, they were say sure, okay, great, Because.
Speaker 8: You try to create a team. You know, you're putting a team of people.
Speaker 1: Together and you make a movie.
Speaker 8: You're like making this little army.
Speaker 12: It's moving around from place to place and you know, going here and the vaving there and setting up shop and coming in with the trucks and the people and all the blah blah blah, and you know, and you know it's like it's you know, no room for assholes. I mean, that's the way I feel and I don't like working with them, and I don't want them around the movies that I worked on. It's just, you know, it's kind of something I learned from working with George and Carry is that you know that's not.
Speaker 8: The way you do it.
Speaker 12: You know there's still life. As I got older, the other stuff you learned is that it's a movie.
Speaker 8: Be life is life.
Speaker 12: Somebody has a family member who's dying, you sort of say, yeah, go take care of your family member for a few days, as opposed to say, well, we got the shot tomorrow morning. It's like, give me a break, because I've seen too many unhappy people who in divorced families because they had this attitude of that the show must go on. Come on, guys, get real. It's not bring surgery. It's movie making. We'll figure out a way to do it. I don't want people getting hurt. You don't want people dying. They don't want to make stupid mistakes.
Speaker 8: It's not worth it.
Speaker 12: There's another way to figure it out. But I guess there are other people who don't agree with that philosophy. Directors should throw a walkie talkies. Although I didn't work with too many, I work with life's too short. It's like it's hard enough, let's try and enjoy it while we're doing it.
Speaker 3: All right, We were back and we were talking about return to the Jedi, and yeah, that's funny, Jamie. I had in my notes the dark times post Jedi, because we went for a lot of years with nothing. As Star Wars fans. It was, you know, you had those two Ewok movies, you had the Droids cartoon, you had the Ewoks cartoon, but that was about it. There wasn't a whole lot going on. So yeah, you had like Banther tracks and then eventually Star Wars and Cider as a magazine. But there it was a really dry, dry period for us.
Speaker 1: The Christmas eighty four, it must have been. I got the Ewok village and a few of the Ewoks figures, and I got the Rebel Troot Transport as well. I remember my sister got a Commodore sixty four and I was like playing with my Ewox and I'm looking across at this Commodore sixty four and I was ignoring my Ewox and I was going, I want one of those, you know. And that's kind of when I gave up Stars and my mom gave away all my stuff to this really annoying kid down the road. I'll never forgive or him for that. And then I remember going to another toy shop, a toy shop that I used to visit to buy Stars figures, and I remember seeing those here. There were the tri logo packs. They had like the Spanish and the Battalion and the English as well, like your Power of the Force era, and it had like the Barada figure and the Luke Stormtrooper figure, and some of the more Ewoks and the Imperial Dignitary. I think you barely see him in Return of Jedi, but I remember going, oh, I want one of those, and my mum said, you've grown out of that. And then there was a period in that same toy shop I remember passing where everything was being sold off for like fifty p and I still regret to this day, and I still got this image of just like all of the toys just stacked up from all the different eras, Star Wars, Empire, Jedi, oh my god, all of them, you know. And there was this period between eighty five and maybe ninety one where there was just nothing. I think you've mentioned about Stars Insider, but The precursor to that was the Lucasfilm Fan Club magazine. Remember seeing that one day. The thing that really sparked it again for me was when I found Steve sand sweets from concept to screen to collectible. There was this gold and black book with Vader on and it. We opened it up, my buddy and I we were like seventeen at the time or something like that, and it was all the figures and we're like, I didn't know that one existed. I didn't, you know. And we got we were started to go around you know what we call charity shops, you'd say thrift stores, I guess, and boot sales, table cells, just buying this stuff up. And that's when I kind of really got back into it all again. But I remember that period of like nothing, and I still hankeered for more stars. I wanted like an animated show with the further adventures of Luke and Ann and Leia. I wanted more movies. I wanted more video games, you know, And I guess there were some video games, you know, tie Fire and X Wing and all of that stuff on PC later on, But those times they did seem like the dark times. There wasn't much about and if you were still into Star Wars, it was like, really, haven't you moved on Turtles or Mask or something else. I don't know a Mask, Yeah, those not our masters in the universe.
Speaker 5: No, but you're right, it was disappointing when you finally found out that Return was the last movie. So I think I brought up on when I was on a Dune episode with Mike, like, that's how I got into Dune was because it was supposed to be the next Star Wars. That's why they were That's what the magazines at the time where everything was promoting it for and there was toys, and I'm like, oh, this is the next June. You know. I didn't see it in the theaters, but I rented it and dubbed it on like ripped it to Betamax tape, and I'd watch it over and over again to like it because I thought it was going to be the next Star Wars. And of course years later I learned, you know, of course it was never going to be another Star Wars. It was so disappointing not having another Star Wars. And then yeah, I just kind of I don't remember the exact time I fell out of the toys. It was probably I think I got into Gi Joe after Star Wars because I was still really young. I was ten when the movie came out, so I was still playing with all that shit and Masters of the Universe. But it was it was sad, and then it wasn't until the early nineties, or like I said, when I got into film schools, when I rediscovered Star Wars again.
Speaker 3: And you can see it from a different eye, you know, because I had roommates.
Speaker 5: We're all smoking weed at the time, and you're watching it now in a different mind frame and rediscovering it and being like, oh shit, my friend's a laser dis player, my roommate, and you're like, dude, this is amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that Definitive Collection laser it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I remember, Yeah, my friend had it and he called it the Defective Collection because there was like missing pieces and the extras were really scant, and just like oh yeah, Like we were excited. We were thinking, like, oh, the Holiday Special is going to be on here, because that was such an important part of our lives growing up.
Speaker 1: And do you know, I wasn't aware of the Holiday Special until I started to collect style stuff again, Like in the early nineties. I remember being a toy fair just down the road here and this guy had a VHS obviously boot leg, So what is this? And it said this fills in the gap between stars and the Impire stress back.
Speaker 3: I was like, what, there's more like?
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe, you know. And I've got home with that same buddy of mine that we discovered since weeks book with and we put it.
Speaker 3: In and we were just a few poor guy, Oh my god, what.
Speaker 1: Is happening us? Have we just entered another dimension? I'd know, because it never got screened in the UK as far as I know, so it was completely off our radar, never mentioned anywhere in any of the books I had. Have you seen the documentary about the Holiday special?
Speaker 3: Oh? A Disturbance in the Forest? Yeah, fantastic. Oh I need to watch that.
Speaker 5: I saw it live when it was on as a kid, and for years I thought I made it up or something, because I remember we all gathered around and watched it, and I had a vague memory of it, and I didn't think it was real until like the Internet and later on, when I just like that was a real thing that we sat around there and watched on TV one in my.
Speaker 3: Head that cartoon with Boba Fete was like a half an hour long. It was probably maybe like five ten minutes or something like that, but it might have the best thing. Yeah, and I loved him writing the dragon and he had that cool little spear thing and just the voice characterization, like that's right, friend, you know, I loved that. I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, he was so badass. It was so ripe to be put in an animated world style Wars. And I just feel like, you know, there was that fan a few years ago that did that kind of X wing of tie fight, a kind of battle or something in a kind of an anime style. He was just a fan just with saying, Lucasfilm, give me some word, and that's some of the best stuff I've seen. And I would have loved that as a kid, you know, just imagine that like a weekly series of The Further Adventures of Droid's was a riot. But you know, it didn't kind of scratch that itch.
Speaker 3: I'm sure had I been younger, that Clone Wars cartoon would have been right up my street. Or like there was another one too, not bad Batch, but there was another cartoon that was supposed to be really good Rebels Rebels, thank you. And I think that also would explain a lot of stuff that's going on in the Star Wars universe now that I'm not aware of, because even as a kid like I would hear these things and like they would start to build the expanded universe. Like I remember, I was huge into the Marvel comic books, and I really liked the comic book that came out after Jedi where it showed Bulba Fet coming out of the Sarlac pit because it was protected by his armor, and then he gets picked up from buy some jahwas and then eventually, like I think, he is on top of a sand crawler and it crashes over the side of a mountain, so he ends up dying again anyway, but you hear more about the Mandalorians and all this kind of stuff, and I was like, Wow, this is really cool, and then you see the way that they handled it and book at Boba Fet where it's just like, Oi, I got rescued out of that thing. I want to be friends with everybody, you know, Oh, you need a job, you know, and it's just like, what the fuck is this show? This is awful?
Speaker 1: Did you know the only thing I liked about that show was that we were back there. We were back in Jab's palace, and I could look at it again for an angle. That was the only aspect to like today.
Speaker 5: He's like Han out of a carbon night man, you just change ye.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Every episode had them going in that back to tank for you know, half the episode and flashing back to the sand people, and I'm just like, all these poor sand people they're gonna you know, they got massacred by Anakin. They're probably still talking about it today. I did actually like that show. Unfortunately, I liked the two Mandalorian episodes that they snuck into Book and Bubba fut Phenomenal.
Speaker 1: They were great, Yeah, these are good.
Speaker 5: Phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're really good. Third season of The Mandalorian where it was just like the whole Katie Sacoff thing, I'm like, I'm getting ready to be done with the show.
Speaker 8: Guys.
Speaker 3: This was originally so great. As soon as they brought Luke in, I was like, oh, please don't bring in Luke. I don't need this to be tied to the Skywalker family anymore.
Speaker 1: This is why I loved Andors so much, though, because it didn't need to be Star Wars ultimately, and it's really well written. The sets are amazing, the performances are amazing. It's got a great soundtrack, it's got nods to films that we've all discovered after we fell in love with Star Wars.
Speaker 3: I thought that was great.
Speaker 1: And you know, I've said to friends of mine who goes stars, never seen one. You know, I don't know why they're are friends, but I said to them, this is the series for you because you can watch this and you don't really have to know anything about Jedis or jah Wars or anything. You can just go in and see it for what it is, which is a great bit of TV. I think those other series they just tried so hard to kind of connect dots in the same way that the prequels did.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, look, there's a big arrow here to say that was po was built by Anakin's that what.
Speaker 5: I was so disappointed by the Obi Wan show because of the layer thing, because for years they were talking about there was gonna be an obi Wan movie, and I was so excited because I thought you McGregor was perfect casting and him getting older to play obi Wan.
Speaker 3: I was so hyped.
Speaker 5: But then that TV show, it just it puts Princess lay and it's like, why we don't need that, Why can't we just have that Seventh Samurai Adventure?
Speaker 1: And Luke was in there as well, wasn't it at the Homestead? I think the little Luke and I do you know? The brother about that show for me was when they have that fight. It wasn't the fight itself, it was that moment where he's half an Akin half Vader and the voice keeps changing. I was like, that should have been in the prequels. That is what we all wanted to see.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the problem with the prequels.
Speaker 3: For me.
Speaker 5: I like the prequels, except I don't like the Phantom Menace. I think the Phantom Menace him being a kid throughout the whole Phantom Menace really rushes the character development in the two other movies. That's the one I'm not a big fan of. I like Darth Maul and I love the pod Race. There sequences and Phantom Menace I like. But I liked Episode two and three way more. But the things I liked about the prequels was at least compared to the later sequels trilogy at least everything was different. In the prequels, we were seeing things we hadn't seen before, spacecraft and villains and set pieces that were original, versus the new trilogy we got, which was, well, we had to now go back to the original Star Wars and show you all the cool things you liked in that again, versus we got to see new machinery and we've never seen a padre, so we've never seen a lot of that stuff before.
Speaker 3: That's why I liked the prequels.
Speaker 5: But Episode one bummed me out because I thought it wasted, and again, as a kid too much, I always kind of wish it was like Good Fellas, where we had him as a kid for twenty thirty minutes and then we got to see him gradually grow up. But that would make it a completely different movie.
Speaker 3: The second movie feels like such a waste to me. That feels Attack of the Clones. It feels like a detective movie that I just don't care about.
Speaker 1: Where it's you didn't get it, it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'll be ones trying to figure out who's building these clones, who's ordering these clones. There's this whole thing about you know, Darth Sidious and then Darth's who was that Chrisopher Lee played to count count do you? But he also has a Darth name. He might be Darth Tyrannus or something. I don't know, Count dou Killa the rush to make him Darth Vader in the last five minutes, I was like, no, no, no, Like the whole third movie should be him as Darth Vader. The second movie should be The Fall from Grace, and it just like all the rules of like, oh, Jedis can't get married. I'm like, what what is happening here? Like why is this the conflict? And appreciate your opinion, Steven, I just have nothing good to say about those prequels.
Speaker 5: Whatsoever, Dude, It's all good Chris for years that I get a lot of anger toward me for defending the people, ate me for defending them, But it was just like I just liked that they were different and I had a great time.
Speaker 3: Except Phantom Menace.
Speaker 5: I'm not the biggest fan. I do love the duels in Phantom Menace. There were so many things in Phantom Menace. I like it, but it just can't I can't handle him as a kid being a fighter pilot and doing all that. It feels like he should have been a teenager at that point of the movie doing that, but him being still that young. I'm not gonna buy his relationship with Finalie Portman in this second?
Speaker 1: Are you an Angel? Imagine Return of Jedi didn't exist, right, and all of those series, the prequel let's say the prequels, then the series, and then the sequels. Imagine they're jumping off point was the Empire strikes back? Because if you think about it, a lot of those shows and those prequels and those sequels, esthetically and tone wise, they are more Return of the Jedi than they are Empire or Star Wars. I think, you know, as much as I love some of those environments I've talked about, you know, Jabber's Palace, altern of Jedi, I think that you know, we really needed to get away from all of that stuff and that asthetic. I'd love it if it went down that path that the Empire was on and Luke had really turned to the dark side and a few people have got killed off, and imagine what we'd been having now, maybe we wouldn't have had to wait all these years to have and or which you know, deals with some pretty grown up topics, and for this Jeni, it's for our generation, right that show. It's not for anyone else. It's not for the kids who liked Rebels or even the prequel guys potentially, But yeah, I just I just thought, esthetically, they do you match your to in the Jedi more than they match anything else.
Speaker 3: It is so fitting for twenty twenty five, just this whole idea of this push towards fascism and stuff. And it's so funny because of course I had to think about Trump while I was watching this, and thinking, he probably wants to be the Emperor, but at best he's job of the Hut, this whole thing of who's going to pay me the most kind of thing and bargaining with Boosh and all this stuff. You get to the Emperor's scenes and you're just like, no, this guy knows what he's doing. He's got everything taken care of. His fatal flaw is that he doesn't think that Vader will ever turn, and he thinks that those people down on the surface of the planet of the fourth Moon of Endoor are going to succeed. I do like there's a deleted scene where the Emperor orders them to fire on the moon and basically wipe out everybody, like take out that that whole thing, including all of the imperial people that are down there, and you have this whole thing of Gerad like having conflicting feelings and stuff, and poor jar Gerard is just completely elominated from the film, other than like one scene where it's just like, oh, yeah, I need more people. I can't build this that fast, and it's like, okay, yeah, you're on every project that I've ever been out on my life during my normal nine to five. Not enough time, not enough resources, but yet you want perfection, Okay. Great.
Speaker 1: I interviewed the editor returns It, who was Markwan's editor, a guy called Sean Barley lives in West London, and I went to his house for the morning and we chatted about it and he was talking about that early cut he did that was quite plodding. I think the film was like two hours forty minutes or something like that, but it had all of those scenes in. It had those scenes with the guys gunning on the falcon dressed in their kind of you know, camouflage, fatigues and stuff, and more of them going down on to end or you see the guys all sitting behind them. There's a couple of shots back there, and you know, he said, I actually really liked that version, he said, because it made more sense. He then didn't say much more about it. I really wanted to kind of prone to see if he had like a VHS not cough of it somewhere, but we did show me it was the splice that he cut the film with, and went up to these little office upstairs and there it was the little splice and he said, oh, I've got probably half a dozen of Revenge of the Jedi T shirts knocking around somewhere. Oh my god, we should we go in the loft now?
Speaker 3: And god, yeah, they changed that title so late. I mean there was a movie theater I used to go to around here that still had a Revenge of the Jedi poster in the marquee, you know, in the lobby, and I was just like, oh, yeah, like that would have been something. And yeah, just this whole like Jedi don't take revenge thing. I was like, Okay, I guess I can see that. But at the same time, return is such a weak title.
Speaker 5: No, you're right, but it fits the movie because it's such a nice movie.
Speaker 1: It was going to be return originally as well.
Speaker 5: It doesn't deserve the title Revenge of the Jedi because it makes it sound too you know. It's just it's a nice movie. So it asked to be return and we got Revenge for the third Star Wars, which is.
Speaker 1: A rougher movie. And I love how many people take responsibility for that to as well. Like I've spoken to Jim Bloom. I haven't heard your interview with Jim, but he says, you know, he remembers talking about it, and how Kauzandin says that he came up with it, and George said it was his idea, you know. And you know, I work on big TV shows and big sports events. I can't remember who made a decision in the thick of it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'm sure things I've claimed that I've done when not my idea. Originally, it was just a little spark of an idea that somebody else gave me and I ran with it. I remember that there was a cinema near us that had that poster up for a little while as well, and I remember when I went to see it, I was like, I thought it was this other movie, And I can imagine those people who were at that kind of sweet spot age for Empire going into Jedi and seeing the word revenge and thinking, oh, this is going to be one hell of a thing. This is going to be for us. I'm now fifteen or sixteen or whatever they would have been then, and then they got this fluffy little jolly all wrapped up in a bundle movie.
Speaker 3: It also, Jedi, isn't that it's I can't remember the term for this, but it's both a plural and a singular or noun. So it's like, is it more than one Jedi? Is it the Jedi? Yes, yes, exactly, like they've been asked out before. And if we don't know, like we know that Yoda's around, we knew that Ben was around, Like how many other Jedi are there? So it feels very weird when it's like, no, no, Luke's the last one. I'm like, I'm sure there are other Jedi that are out there someplace, but and I was really hoping, like no, no, this is like at the final hour, all of these Jedi are going to show up and be like, we're here to help you in your fight. We're here to help take down the Death Star, Invader and the Emperor once and for all. And I got to say, as a kid man, when they unmasked Vader, it was one of the most disappointing things in my entire life.
Speaker 1: Is that you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, after seeing the back of his head in the second movie, I was like, Oh my god, this guy is gonna be so fucked up. And then it's yeah, Grandpa, what are you doing here Sebastian Shaw having those big, bushy eyebrows.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my god, because that's the important thing. They removed the eyebrows, because their eyebroads should have been gone. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that unveiling. I think for a lot of people, including David Prows, it was a disappointment. You did want to see somebody a bit more messed up. But I think for years I was a bit scared of that scene in Empire where you saw the back of his head. And what I do, or what I did i'd probably still do to a certain extent, is if I'm scared of something, I just sort of turn it into something else. And I remember as a kid thinking it looked like raspberry ripple ice cream that you can buy here, and I done. If that was the thing in the States, it was like vanilla ice cream with like this ripple thread of raspberry and you get a little tasted of a little hit of raspberry, and that's what it looked like. It looked like a scoop of that on Vader's head. So for years I was I was scared about seeing what was on the other side. And when it happened, my cousin was next to me and we were sort of like getting a little bit closer and just thinking, what's going to happen here? And then we both oh, that's what it is. It's just an old.
Speaker 8: And I guess.
Speaker 3: We did see the Emperor in the second movie as well, and he had the It was cool. It was like chimpin monkey eyes. Yeah yeah, and then you could see him in person. You're just like, oh, okay, back and change it.
Speaker 1: Yet Luke had just taken the mask off, and imagine if you'd just taken the mask off and we just saw Luke's face just kind of go or maybe he looked just like Luke, you know, like the dream sequence in Empire maybe is like an old version of Luke. God, there's so much potential with that sequence yeah, it feels like a lost opportunity.
Speaker 3: And then the poor guy just dies, and the death of Yoda and the death of Darth Vader they do nothing for me. There's no feeling. I'm just like, Okay, poor cross eyed Yoda just faded away. You know, he's one of my favorite characters. In the second movie. They give him such short shrift in this film. Then he just disappears, and then yeah, like we build up to Darth Vader and then you go, oh, he's just a harmless old man. He's basically the Wizard from the Wizard of Oz. You're just like, he's the guy who's pulling the levers and everything, and you're just like, how is this guy such a threat for the last two films, And now you see what a weak old man he was.
Speaker 5: You weren't off completely when you were talking about like the return of the Jedi being Jedi as I have a podcast Best Movies Never Made, and we had JW. Wrinsler, one of the nicest human beings I've ever met, so kind, and he was telling us that the original version of Jedi, during the ending when Luke has wanted with the Emperor, that the ghosts of Obi Wan and Yoda come back and help. They're like help defending him against the lightning and everything, you know, and then the final, the very.
Speaker 3: Ending, is that they become human again.
Speaker 5: So in a way, that title, the way you were thinking about it, there was a version of it where it was Returns of the Jedi. In a way when you were saying that reminded me of have you seen tweet? This could have been going on for years, but I'd just been seeing it recently NonStop, someone saying I just realized after seventeen years of watching Star Wars. The title episode Return of the Jedi refers to Darth Vader's.
Speaker 1: Return as Anakin and not Luke.
Speaker 5: I don't think that's where Lucas intended, but I find it interesting because in a way it could make sense.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until later years that that ever occurred to me, and I don't know if it was something online that sparked that, but yeah, there's that sort of duality. Luke's decided he's not going to go to the dark Side. He throws his legs over away, the Jedi returned. He's now become a Jedi. This is him reaching that kind of peak and simultaneously, there's you know, Anakin saving his son and getting rid of the baddest guy in the universe and chucking him down the vent. So yeah, it could be read like that, but I don't think anyone talked about that at the time. Maybe for twenty five thirty years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all the information you guys gave me, I didn't see that once, but I think that it is fascinating. I saw that tweet recently in the last few weeks getting ready for this show. It's just been popping up everywhere all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, weird.
Speaker 5: And by the way, I mean, I don't know how did Darth getting split in half going down one of those things like the Emperor?
Speaker 3: How do they always survive that?
Speaker 8: Somehow?
Speaker 1: Palpatine returned.
Speaker 3: Well, even Luke's lightsaber apparently survived that as well, because that little orange creature and was like, oh, here's Luke's lightsaber, and I'm like, this is the blue one. This isn't the green one oak?
Speaker 1: And what was it? Like, that's a story for another time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that will mean any of the sequels. I do like the person who gives the ted talk quote unquote about how all the Star Wars movies have the wrong titles.
Speaker 1: What happens?
Speaker 9: In episode one we meet Anakin Skywalker The Rise of Skywalker. Years later, we find out that Palpatine, leader of the Sith, have ordered an army to destroy the Jedi. Revenge of the Sith. In episode three, Order sixty six happens and the Clones Attack Attack of the Clones. In episode four, ovi Wan teaches Luke that it is time for the Jedi to return. Return of the Jedi. In episode five, Yoda teaches Luke how to use the Force. The Force awakens. Episode six, both Yoda and Anak and die, which makes Luke the last Jedi. After the Empire has destroyed, a new empire comes. The Empire strikes back. Come on guys. An episode eight, Luke train's ray and then sacrifices himself to give the Resistance a new hope. Finally, in episode nine, Palpatine returns from the dead, making him the Phantom Menace. Thank you for coming to my ted talk lucasfilm hire me please.
Speaker 3: Oh I never thought of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, some of them did that with the Last Apes trilogy. Also that all the titles are for those Because I'm completely confused.
Speaker 3: What movie is which now Jesus, Yeah, well, I'm confused by the sequel trilogy because I'm just like which one's force awakens, which one's last. I just know that I don't like any of those. I'm not like some sort of misogynists where I'm just like, I can't handle Daisy Ridley in this role. I just felt like, yeah, yeah, no, I like her a lot too. I really wish that she had joined forces with Kren like that moment that I think we all talked about. Had she gone with him, it would have set the whole trilogy in a way better place and shown that conflict because instead, a good character starts good and ends good and as good all the way through, as opposed to somebody who actually has a moment of doubt and then redeems themselves complication. Yeah yeah, and Ben could have been that, but he wasn't.
Speaker 1: But you see those posts online. You know, how come this happens and then that happens and then this didn't happen. And the answer is always bad writing. It's never about some expositional thing or character thing. It's just somebody didn't think about it at the time, and they just forgot what they had. In some cases, I'm able to sort of compartmentalize those films as sequels, as maybe somebody has a go at rebooting Star Wars and this is the result. I don't have to hold them as some sort of canon. I'm not part of a religion, as a lot of people seem to think it is the case. But I experienced those films, particularly that first one, The Force Awakens, through my daughters, who were quite young at the time. How old is that film now? Yeah, just remember them kind of you know, skipping down the high street here where I live and wanting to go to the Disney store and buy an Action figure. And I thought that was great, you know, I thought fantastic, this is their Star Wars. And I lived the first time I saw it. I was with my cynical forty year old mates. Okay, so we're talking, oh, ten years ago. I'm fifteen next year, so blummey and I remember, it's all coming out, just going a lot to process, you know, we're just trying to find a way to like it. And then that second one, I didn't go on with a torn of third one, I kind of just gave up on. Yeah, well, I was really pleased that my kids enjoyed it, and again, like you see another generation of people into it. And you know, I went to Star Wars celebration here in London a couple of years ago. I did a panel about and OR about the visual effects and OR for ILM and what was fantastic about that was just seeing all the different generations of people and all the different cost plays, the effort the people put in, and the love they have for these tiny little moments in the films. Like one guy, one of the best costumes I saw. He was Obi Wan, but as a ghost, so he had this blue neck cut and kind of stitched all the way around him and he's appeared to glow as he was walking along and that's just like, you know, it's like two minutes in one of the movies. But yeah, I love that about Star Wars that it's got. There's so much of it now that so many people can find what they love within it. And I've never been one of those people who wants to defend or argue, you know, a particular point in the movie. Just you know, if you love it, great, if you don't, just go and watch something else.
Speaker 5: I hear you. I like a lot of movies people can't understand why I like. But you know, that's why I'll never argue with people. Like when The acle I came out, everyone's ripping it apart.
Speaker 3: I just get my opinions to myself.
Speaker 5: You know, it's like I want to go on there and rip things apart. But I do wish they would have went with the Duel of Fates draft instead of Rise of Skywalk. I just thought that was a more fitting finale to that trilogy. There was just this great I don't know. It was like Gray with this dual lightsaber fighting Kylo Ren with his crossguard lightsaber. It just seemed like such a visual in my head for the poster and just I don't know, man, instead of you know, Kylo Ren turned into a good guy and then.
Speaker 3: Just I don't know. I found that movie to be kind of a mess.
Speaker 5: Maybe years from now, when I returned to it, I'll appreciate it, because that happens with me with certain If I don't like something now years later, I could go and appreciate it. But them getting rid of that draft, I just always felt like, I don't know why they did.
Speaker 3: I thought it was really cool, but because they fired the director who wrote it.
Speaker 5: Now they had to get rid of I thought a really good story, and then instead we got the warps chased and the movie is really cool. But that's all I remember. I just watched it once and I was just kind of like bummed out by it. And then especially years later getting my hands on that draft and then I read it and I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: This is great.
Speaker 1: I have to get hold of it. You just brought up a good point. Then they all watching you dislike them. In years later you fall in love with the me, you know, for me, I guess later on it would be a good example of that. But I think that's what's unique about these three original Star Wars films is I've loved them in every phase of my life, you know, since I first saw them, through my teens and my twenties and my thirds. Now I'm in my late forties, and I still love those movies, and still I don't I probably don't watch them once a year anymore like I used to a few times a year. I don't think I've seen Star Wars for good three or four years now. So the screening next week this week's going.
Speaker 3: To be very good.
Speaker 1: But I've always found something to like about them through all the phases of my life. And that's pretty unique. And I think it is really bloody hard to make these movies and make a good one of these movies. You know, all the tools have been there in the past and it has not been achieved. And it just goes to show what a miracle and Or is, and what a miracle Empi Strikes Back is and the original Star Wars is. You know, you think of the confluence of all those things that had to come together, all those artists, the timing, at the politic call landscape at the time, the need to want to have something that was fresh and new and exciting and different. You know, it's pretty amazing that it happened. And hey, we happened to be on Earth at the time they were released. Isn't that pretty amazing We were here for Star Wars. David Bowie, the Rolling Stokes. You know, it's kind of crazy, really Indiana general.
Speaker 5: It's you know, just so much cool stuff growing up with and experiencing.
Speaker 3: For the first time.
Speaker 1: You know. One of my shout out to Waz He is a hypnotherapist right used to be an editor and he recently got a message from somebody to ask if you can hypnotize me to make me forget Star Wars because I want to see it again for the first time. He said, give it a go. I won't pass any judgment on that, but I do love that idea of just being able to have your memory wipe to re experience Star Wars all over again. But then you'd have to wipe so much else. Wouldn't you all the things that reference it over the years and lean into it. Wouldn't that be great to watch it again for the first time.
Speaker 3: When we talked about a New Hope, one of my co hosts for that was Rob Saint Mary, who really hadn't watched Star Wars and so it was very new for him, and he just knew so much of it from the culture, like you were saying, like all of the references, like I'm surprised that we have gone for almost two hours. We haven't done like every other group of men talking about Return of the Jedi and just drooled about Princess Leigh and the slave girl outfit. I'm very proud of us because like that comes back all the time. I mean, even that friends with their fetish for that thing, and I'm just like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Yai. But like, yeah, that's a major part of the culture as well. Like now you see when you go to like the Star Wars conventions and stuff, how many women are dressed up like princess Ly and her slave garb. You know, it's pretty phenomenal.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think that's another example of what we were talking about earlier where it doesn't fit the character. You think about Empire and she's feisty and she's finding back, Okay, she's falling in love with and Solo and you know he's been taken off and I love you, i know, and all of that stuff. But to see her just sat there in front of Jabba just not saying I'm doing anything. You just think, where is the fire? Where's the fire gone? What has happened in the interim here? Yeah, I'm sure it was a sexual awakening for a lot of young men, But it's the thing that feels the most out of place to me, I think in the whole of that trilogy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because she was supposed to be doing something else, and that makes sense now she's not really doing much there, and also like no one's like paying it you know, like Luke doesn't even pay her no mind.
Speaker 3: It was like, yo, what do you now?
Speaker 1: He's just the stoic and doing his thing. And Hans says, where's Ley and she goes, I'm here, and that's it. That's all we get.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Obviously she does strangle him in the end, and that is a great moment that she gets through that, and carry would talk about that in interviews with you know, she hated or she loved Jabba, but she hated the what did she call it, the mung in the corner of his mouth, and she got to strangle him in the end was great. But yeah, it's a difficult topic, isn't it, because so much has changed since then. And I can kind of see what they're harkening back to the whole kind of Arabian kind of look and the Flash Gordon thing, and I mean Nilo Rhodashumiri designed that costume, and I think George initially said, no way, we can't do that, and he kept sort of pushing George all the time with these ideas, and eventually he kind of went for it, and then I think he he almost regrets it, you know, And I think it was Kenna wasn't it said they were never going to make an action figure of her like that. Oh, I ain't know that. And two years later as Bro did one. But it's the bit that, you know, I've got three daughters. If I'm watching that movie, they said to me, I think it was about five years ago. So it's your birthday today. What movie do you want to watch? So, oh, let's watch with Tanage. I was probably the most family friendly of the three, you know. And we're watching and that bit came on, and I'm looking at my three girls, you know who at the time, two of them are developing into young women, and I did feel a bit shitty. Maybe that's a fan edit that needs to be done.
Speaker 3: They covered up with Daryl Hannah's but in Splash. I'm surprised they haven't done the same thing for Return of the jub Oh. Yeah, digitally made her hair longer and it looks awful. Whoever did the special effects for it did not know what they were doing. It looks like she's wearing a pair of panties made out of fur.
Speaker 1: In defense of the effects artists, they probably did know what they were doing. They just didn't have the time All the money to do.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, let's take another break in. We're going to play a preview for next week's show. Right after these brief messages, after all.
Speaker 5: These years, I thought I knew you, but it turned out to be a stranger.
Speaker 7: We're fighting for our lives, and my family must survive.
Speaker 13: Yes, the most shocking experience of their lives. Doubly shocking because it can happen to you.
Speaker 3: Still, right my trailer, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Cola cops?
Speaker 1: They're busy with the new highway patrol?
Speaker 13: All right, The lawless are on the loose, making it necessary for law abiding citizens to make their own law.
Speaker 7: I could going fire a shadow over their heads. Maybe that'll upset them. Right, there are no civilians. We are all at war.
Speaker 3: Give me, I'm good with the I'll stay here and I'll kill them.
Speaker 13: This is civilization's jungle after the jackals of society have ruthlessly ravaged it, ending the world of decency.
Speaker 8: I killed two men.
Speaker 12: I tried to kill them too, but I missed.
Speaker 5: I just wasn't a good enough shot.
Speaker 3: That's right. We'll be back next week when they look at panic in the year zero. Until then, I want to thank my co hosts, Stephen and Jamie. So, Jamie, what's the latest with you, sir?
Speaker 1: Still doing the podcast? The film you mention this podcast. I'm just in the process of editing episode one hundred and twenty eight, and funnily enough, it's an episode that I'm just trying to throw out there at the moment because I'm so busy. It's an interview from ten years ago with Anthony Forrest, who played not only the deleted Fixer who was one of Luke's friends at Toshi Station from the original film. We also played the move along Stormtrooper and there's some great stories about him traveling out to Tunisia and getting drunk on champagne with Mark Hamill on the way back and sticking stickers all over a sleeping Alec Guinness I think he talks about at one point. So yeah, still doing the podcast and working on this. Joe Alves, Jaws production designer, the camera's production designed lots of stories from Joe we've been compiling over the last few years. We're out to Martha's Vineyard next week to shoot more of that. Thanks to the gofund me that I started. If anybody's listening and wants to help us. Then the go fund me is still active. If you look for not your Average Joe or Jamie Benning and go fund me, you'll find it. I just keep chipping away at things that I love to do, so yeah, you can find me as film We mentories pretty much everywhere online. Also, my return of the Jedi Unauthorized Timeline book, which you mentioned earlier on is still available. Myself and Justin Berger released that for the fortieth anniversary. So it chronicles the film, as it says, from seventy six to twenty twenty three, because you know, that's the first time Jabba the Het has talked about and we go through the whole process sort of listing out all of the dates and everything that happened on those dates. And this is information you can find in Rinseler's book and in some of the other books as well. But you know, shown in this format is quite interesting that you'll see like, oh, there was an Ewok costume test on the day that the Sandstorm scene was shot, and you know, you see the film in a kind of different light, and then all the way through production, post production, all the way up to its anniversary. So that's available on Amazon pretty much everywhere you can get Amazon. Like, here's an examplele we recreated a load of call sheets as well. Some of the pages are just like call sheets, listing out who was on set that day, what's the date today? On eighth of June. Right, let's have a looked. So here we are in June. Is the and entry for the eighth. There's one for the ninth. Oh, there we go, there's one for the seventh. The Hollywood Reporter announces Jedi inned seventy million in twelve days. That was June seventh, ninet eighty three. If we go back to eighty two June, they've probably won during production here, so the ninth of June, the Jedi Creature Shop schedule on those days had Tony and Randy skin rancor whatever that means. And then like I put a couple of bits of my interviews in there. I've got diaries of the guys that worked on Jabba that have never been seen before. They're not like deep diaries, but you know, Dave Barkley says like here is so there's these entriesome day. That's a shot that mattered the swords of Dave and the Jabba there, but it says first day Elstria rather at eight am. Creature Finger extends in Stuart's lab and check out Jabber Toby and I get inside. It's okay, and we meet with Robert Watson, Doug and you know, just little bits that you wouldn't have known about before because everyone's got a story, right. But yeah, it's like you can get the paperback version for like twenty bucks on Amazon.
Speaker 3: Fantastic and Steven, how about yourself?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do a podcast called Best Movies Never Made? Right now, I guess when this episode comes out, nearing towards the end of an epic going through all the unmade Superman movies. We just did the Mario Puzo draft, and then we did the original version of Superman three, and then we're gonna be doing Lives and Reborn and I.
Speaker 3: Wrote a huge article about that years ago, and yeah, it took me forever to track down some of those scripts.
Speaker 5: Holy shit, Yeah, dude, it's massive because I do all the outlines and oh my god. Yeah, well you thought that Weur Batman episode was the longest. I think this is gonna beat it. So you can check that out. And I want to see more shark content. I know Jaws fiftieth documentary is coming out. I got a bunch Shutter Shark Exploitation, and I'm excited for Jamie's documentary on Joe Alves because there's so many things we couldn't really get into Joe olves a lot in the documentary because we have to touch on Jaws, where we have hundreds of other shark movies to get to. But one of my favorite things about Joe Alves is when you watch the opening of Jaws, when they're running by those fences in the beginning, like, that's all Joe production design.
Speaker 3: He puts those fences up. You now, the Dude's freaking amazing.
Speaker 5: So I can't wait to see Jamie's documentary because I just love Joe Alves and there's so much I don't think people appreciate or even know about the guy. But yeah, if you want to see a cool shark documentary about shark movies, check out Shark's Ploitation on Shutter and just the podcast in that. At the moment, I'm working on something new, but I don't think I can announce it yet. Hopefully going to be finishing this summer, but yeah, you can follow the podcast on Twitter and Blue Sky Now and Instagram and all that to see concept art from all the movies we talk about.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you again guys for being on the show. Thanks to everybody for listening. If you want to hear more of me shooting off my mouth, check out some of the other shows that I work on. They are all available at Wadingwaymedia dot com. Thanks especially to our Patreon community. If you want to join the community, visit patreon dot com slash Projection Booth. Every donation we get helps Projection Booth take over the galaxy
Speaker 9: To ants to an