Speaker 1: It's time to hit the pitch on the drive. The RSL Insider today and every day is brought to you by beer bar Head Downtown for watch parties and game day shuttles to the stadium more at beer BARSLC dot com.
Speaker 2: RSL is an action tonight and we will see the debut of one of their new players. Rowan Cruz has received his visa and it's eligible to make his club debut tonight in League's Cup Action. Kurt Schmidt, the primary decision maker, the Director of Soccer Ops or whatever the new title is. He's just the guy that signs the players, which is a very important role.
Speaker 3: Kurt. Happy Wednesday, sir.
Speaker 4: How are you? I'm good.
Speaker 3: Let's start with Rowan Cruz.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the new player you have signed and potentially we'll get to see him tonight. Origin story, Kurt, When did you first hear about him? How did this process play out? What kind of what kind of player is he?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've we've actually been aware of you for for a while.
Speaker 4: I think it's.
Speaker 5: Been it's almost been a at least nine or twelve months since we first heard his name. We actually, you know, worked on him earlier in this in this season in the primary window, he had made a big move to Bota Fogo, but there was a chance that they might not use him as much as they thought, and so we we were speaking to them about alone a few months ago, but things didn't quite line up, and so to have them line up now is obviously, you know, serendipitous, which you always need a little bit of that in this in this line of work. But you know, it's good that we were to line everything up and bring him on board for the rest of this year and and hopefully next year as well.
Speaker 2: So Pablo this week referred to him as like a nine and a half, you know, a striker that can score goals but also make plays.
Speaker 3: What sort of player is Ruwan?
Speaker 5: Yeah, nine and a half nine, He's he's sort of done both of those things. And one of the things that's the positive about him is he can fit with the rest of our players. He doesn't have one role that he has to do this thing, so you know, you can only pair him with these certain players he can balance off I think anyone in our attack currently that we would play up top next to him, which is a positive. He is probably a little more comfortable or adept in that nine and a half role, which just means, you know, he's someone that maybe.
Speaker 4: Gets the ball defeat a little bit more.
Speaker 5: And comes from a slightly deeper space than the nine whose main job is to stretch and push the center backs back and occupy those two guys to create some space underneath. So he's a guy that can play and connect. You can play the ball into him, get it back off of him, combine. He moves well after receiving and passing, and he finds good spaces in the box, and he was able to score quite a few goals doing that thing in Bulgaria.
Speaker 2: So help me understand the type of level he's been playing at, Kurt, and how that compares, if it does at all, with MLS. It's been has always been fascinating to me to witness players come from certain leagues in certain countries and certain levels in other places and either really struggle to acclimate or just shine right out of the gates. How how does his level of play recently compare to what he's going to be up against NMLS.
Speaker 5: It's a great question, and level of play doesn't where he's coming from doesn't so much dictate how he'll do here, But it just tries to give you clues because the adaptation risk is one of the biggest risks that we encounter when we're signing players. How do they adapt to this league, adapt to this country. There's a lot of off field factors that play into it, cultural factors, or you know, they once you know, they come to practice, they go home, they come to games, they go home. You know, they're at home more time than they're with us often, So when they're at home, what are they doing.
Speaker 4: Do they have a.
Speaker 5: Family, are they you know, do they know how to go grocery shopping? Are they comfortable eating the food in this culture? All these things play into it. Language is certainly the obvious one, so all those things play into it. So it's hard to say that he's coming from this level, so you know, we know he can do this sort of.
Speaker 4: Thing in our league.
Speaker 5: One of the things though, that was very important to us as we were looking for this player, that we find the player who was used to carrying the load for his team.
Speaker 4: So if we find a guy who has scored, you.
Speaker 5: Know, double digit plus goals in the season for a team, has been the main man and had to put them on his on his back at different points. That's something you know, that's that's something that we wanted this player to have experience so that when they come here, they they won't be surprised if that's something that they're asked to do here, but they can shoulder the goal scoring load and not be the first time that they've been asked.
Speaker 4: To do that.
Speaker 2: So as far as the way this contract works, it is a loan with a purchase option, is what I've read. I would imagine that you would very much like to keep him around long term if it works out. So what's this process going to be like and kind of walk us through what options you have to kind of keep him here long term if he steps in and plays really well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this structure just gives us flexibility.
Speaker 5: But certainly, you know, we brought him here because we like him, and you know, we'd love for the relationship to be longer term. For now, he's he's with us for a minimum of basically twelve months, and then we have an option to extend through the end of the season the loon and then before the loan terminates, we have the option to purchase him should we decide to do so, and obviously a lot of factors going to that, you know, his performance being one of the biggest ones, but certainly the finances and all that play into it as well. We think it's that, you know, a good number relative to what he's moved for recently, and given you know, the expectations of what he could do for us, you know, so we're comfortable with those those aspects of it.
Speaker 2: I believe he's been on the ground eleven days, so give us some early returns in training, meeting the team, you know, meeting his teammates, meeting the coaching staff. Pablo was singing his praises about what a nice kid he is. So eleven days actually here on the ground, what can you share?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that nice kids speaks speaks more English than you might expect from a guy who's only lived in Bulgaria and Brazil. You know, gets along, seems to get along really well with his teammates, and you know, he's gotten into some training sessions. Now. It's been a little tough because of the closeness of all the games Wednesday Saturday, Wednesday Saturday, the rhythm of the trainings have been a little bit broken up.
Speaker 4: So we haven't seen in the pun in sort.
Speaker 5: Of big spaces with our group, just because our group's been recovering and preparing for the next game. But we've seen him in moments in front of goal. You know, he's looked good. He's got he's got the soft feet. Like I said, he can combine, he moves well off of that. So those those have been positives, and like I said, off the field, he seems to be integrating. Obviously that's a slower process, it'll take time, but the early returns on that are very good.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling you're going to tell me this is up to Pablo, but do you think we will see him tonight?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I mean it is up to Pop comes to the game.
Speaker 5: I'd be surprised if he doesn't decide to put him into the game tonight at some points. And certainly it's a good moment to get him into a game, you know, in this last League's Cup game, as we as we start restart league play on Sunday, you know, regardless of what the League's Cup future holds for us, getting him into this game is going to just help speed up the acclimatization of him to our team in our League.
Speaker 2: As far as the approach tonight, I believe I started reading the tiebreaker scenarios Kurt, then I decided I wanted to go on living my life. But I believe you need all three tonight and like six results to go your way. So it's an interesting approach where obviously you want to win and get all three and then hope that luck is on your side, but with such a small chance of advancing and a team that probably is suffering from a bit of fatigue because the truncated schedule, maybe you want to rest some guys too. What's what's the approach tonight as you enter the league scut match?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, we've got to take you know, this is a very cliche, right, We've got to take care of our result.
Speaker 4: The rest of it is in the hands of the universe.
Speaker 5: So you know, the other night, I think things broke for us had we maximize our point total, but we didn't take care of our job. So we just have to do do what we can do, control the controllables and do it in front of us and then you know, figure out where the chips fall after after everyone else plays. But from a fatigue standpoint, you're right. I think certainly the whole group has been playing and putting in the work and playing every you know, every three.
Speaker 4: Four days over the last few weeks. But there are some.
Speaker 5: Guys you know, that have had more games than others. And we you know, we've brought the Eggle off the bench the other night because he's you know, he's played more games in the last two months than I think we have as a team, just with.
Speaker 4: The Gold Cup and those sorts of things.
Speaker 5: And you know a few other guys who haven't really been rotated out in a while, you know, maybe get a little bit of a rest or come or come off the bench and play a few less minutes in this one, and we get to see some of the some of the guys that you know that need to push for their starting jobs from the bench. But I think that we put out a team, or we will put out a team that we're really confident and while also preparing for you know, the next run of games.
Speaker 2: You made another signing that became official, so I can ask you about Victor Olatunji. I believe he had arrived on Sunday, not available tonight.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: My understanding is you're hoping to get that visa across the line prior to this weekend.
Speaker 3: You've got New York on Sunday.
Speaker 2: But let's start with same question to ask you about cruz origin story. When did you first discover this kid? What was the process that brought him here at Salt Lake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that one was a little more recent.
Speaker 5: I think we picked him up just in the last six months and started following him.
Speaker 4: You know, he's a guy that.
Speaker 5: Is is like we talked about nine to nine and a half, he's more of a nine to nine or he's got a you know, he likes to play up top, he likes to be physical.
Speaker 4: He's got a big frame. You know, he's got.
Speaker 5: Got more size than we have elsewhere on our team and strength, and he's he's.
Speaker 4: A guy that can hold the ball up, that can run in behind.
Speaker 5: He's got good speed, he's good at driving the defense back and creating space underneath him for guys like Diego and Diego to operate. And he's a big target, you know, in and around the box for us to find in.
Speaker 4: Front of goal.
Speaker 2: Interesting he reference his size, Well, that was one of the first things Pablo reference. He actually said, we're kind of a small team. More of like a target or an athlete that just happens to be tall.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't say he's like, you know, he's not a guy that kind of makes all his money in the air. From that and from that standpoint, like so, he's not a guy who can only really play with his head or is you know, maybe dominance with his head. But the average of the world, he's more well rounded. But from a from a size standpoint, yeah, he's he's a big boy that's gonna occupy a lot of attention from center backs and he's going to make it really really difficult on the other team center backs to uh to win the ball off of them.
Speaker 3: What is uh Ole Tunji?
Speaker 2: As far as his contract details two point five million fee TAM For our listeners who know nothing about TAM, including me, that's what he is. But is he around for multiple years?
Speaker 3: What? What are his contract details?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've got we've got four years or sorry, four plus years on him with option including the option years and got TAM.
Speaker 4: I guess you're right. It will be a one point that means.
Speaker 5: But essentially what it means is we took that transfer fee and instead of paying you at once, we've structured the paintings out over over a few years.
Speaker 3: Are you a bigger fan of Tam or gam?
Speaker 4: Uh? Neither.
Speaker 5: Just just give me cash that you can send me cash, Spence. I don't need Tame or Game right now.
Speaker 2: At some point I'm gonna make you laugh on the show. I don't know how I'm gonna land, but at some point I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 4: Uh. How do you think you should say something? Fun?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 3: Fair enough? Fair enough? Well played, sir?
Speaker 2: How do you how do you anticipate Cruise and Olatunji fitting in with Diego, Diego Gozo, you know, don the whole group like when when they have enough time under their belt, daclamate to Pablo and get in the right shape and this thing is going to be fully developed.
Speaker 3: How do you kind of see that group playing together?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean they both bring slightly different things. And like I said, Victor is the guy that will stretch and push center backs back and create space underneath him for guys like Diego Diego to operate in that space, receives able turn and then play the ball through and you you know, find him with their through balls ideally and creating some long goal. You know, Rwan or Huan is someone who who both those guys can play the play the ball into and get it off of and so they can combine around around the defense to to create space. And he's he's someone that will give them that target and be a reference point for them for you know guys, you know guy like Dom on the wing or Gozo even you know, both guys will be really good targets behind the last line and in the box for their service. So you know, they provide I think different things for each one of those guys, but the the the net net of.
Speaker 4: It all is both guys will make the jobs of the.
Speaker 5: Other other you know, two three four attackers whatever underneath them a lot easier.
Speaker 2: So let's see, today's date is August sixth, Kurt, just so you know that is there's fifteen days left in this window. Is your work done? Are you working on other editions? What can you share with our RSL fan listeners.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're working on probably one, uh one or two more things. You know, it's obviously you know they haven't come together yet, so you know, nothing's guaranteed, but I'm hopeful to get one or two more guys in the door.
Speaker 4: Potentially there. You know that may necesitate one, one more one or two out at some point.
Speaker 5: You know that depends on a lot of other factors as well, But if it all comes together, we might add one or two more pieces this window.
Speaker 2: Are we looking in the attack? How are we looking on the back line? It feels like your midfield is your strength. But where are we looking.
Speaker 5: At That's a good question. I'll probably keep that, keep that to myself for now, but probably not.
Speaker 4: We're not We're not likely to sign another striker. Three three's on us in one window.
Speaker 3: Fair enough. Speaking of your midfield, you know, a Mecca.
Speaker 2: I know he's not one hundred percent yet, but man, it's just a reminder of what he is when he sells. Now that he's been back playing you know, thirty forty to fifty minutes or whatever. But Ruiz, it's such a feel good story. Against Club America, he may have been the best player on the field. Then oh Haita somehow has channeled his inner like Rinaldo. He had one goal in like eighty games and he has three in the last three. What sort of advantage does it give you to have three preferred you know, central holding mids you know, in your formation, you typically play two of the three.
Speaker 3: It feels like that's your lynchpin. Curt Is that fair.
Speaker 5: It's definitely in the strongest part of our roster, the deepest part of our roster. And you know, honestly, it's a massive headache for Poplo, you know, and Pablo's got three, you know, three or more guys for two spots that all want to and and honestly are capable of starting you know, MLS games.
Speaker 4: For him, and you know, it makes the competition tight.
Speaker 5: You know, it's it's pushed, you know, a guy like joelk Liskin to write back at times.
Speaker 4: So you know, it's it's certainly a headache and a.
Speaker 5: Problem for for the coaching staff or Pablo. But but those are the good problems that that we like to try to give give our coaches is you know, not not who we're going to play because nobody is stepping up, but who we're going to play because everyone's playing at their top level and and it makes it difficult to pick the best too. So Pablo, it's it's really really good to see where.
Speaker 4: He's at right now.
Speaker 5: He's been he's been fantastic, obviously, he's missed a lot of time with injury, and it was very reasonable to expect and to see the last few months, you know, for him to get back into it and get back closer to the level he was at when this sort of injury, uh situation started about roughly eighteen or now it's like almost two years ago. So to see his play the last few games has been phenomenal. You know, his passing, his vision, his ability to create chances for us, and then even some things that I don't think were his strength a couple of years ago, he's now working on and improving to the point where these are not liabilities, are things that concern us as much, which is you know, some of his defensing, his work rate, defending his work rate, his ability closed down space, his ability tracking back, his willings to do things like that. That's been phenomenal. And then you know, it's really hard to elaborate too much on Olheida. I mean, obviously, when a player like that is scoring goals for.
Speaker 4: You, then you'll take it.
Speaker 5: And you know he can't can't do can't do much more than that other than recover the ball as much as he does, cover as much ground as he does and then also put the ball in the back of the net.
Speaker 2: So I find the art and honestly science of talent evaluation and sport fascinating. I always have on a scouting level, and you know, nobody bats a thousand. Everybody has misses. Everybody has a lot of misses. You just hope that you can intertwine some of those misses with some big home runs and some good hits. It didn't work out with Lachlan, and you know, I'll let you kind of elaborate as to why you think that is and also intertwined in your question. I'm wondering what your personal approach is when it comes to analyzing and whether or not this is even possible when it comes to analyzing if a young man is ready to be a professional, because when it comes to being a pro, all these guys have talent. Every professional athlete has talent. They're used to dominating younger leagues. They were dominant in high school, they were dominant in college, they were dominant in juniors. If you want to play in the pros, if you want to play in the highest level, talent's not enough.
Speaker 3: You've got to be a professional.
Speaker 2: When it comes to the way you analyze these things, how can you be sure that you're signing somebody that's ready to do what they have to do for you every day, not just game day.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, first I would say, you're never sure, right, and you know you're trying to analyze all these things from afar and until they're here in your group, in your team, you know, in your city, you don't know them as well as you do when that happens. So we do a lot of work obviously evaluating talent, like you said, and watching the player play games. We have multiple people watch, We do rankings, we watch clips, we watch full games. You know, we ask people that we know who.
Speaker 4: Know the player or who's seen the player.
Speaker 5: What they think and get adside feedback on all those things. But then we do the same thing and you know, when it comes to the character mentality side of the game, you know, we do a lot of reference checks of hopefully we find people that play with him, people that he played for, coaches he played for, people that you know, just aret familiar with those marketplaces and and just know a lot about the players in that marketplace, and you know, we try to find out, you know, hey, what kind of person is this?
Speaker 4: What kind of kid is this?
Speaker 5: And it's and it's never black and white, right because these are all young men and you know, sometimes young men are you know, great citizens, and sometimes young men do things that are you know, not ideal or make mistakes and as we all.
Speaker 4: Have when we were young. And so you know, you've got a.
Speaker 5: Parts thing, and we through what's important, what's not important? What what it's a deal breaker for us essentially, and and what what what things can we work on with the player? Are the things that we can help him overcome or the things that will change if he comes here versus where he's at. You know, is you know, maybe he's a leader in his locker room there, Well is that going to translate here? You know, when he's a new player in a new country, you know, is he going to be a leader in the locker room here?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: You know, those are things that we have to work on and find out. And you know, again, until they're here, it's you know, you can never fully answer all of those questions. But we do go through a lot of exhaustive light work to to find out as much as we can about these these players before we bring them here.
Speaker 3: Why do you think it didn't work out with Lachlin?
Speaker 5: Good question, you know, And and sometimes timing is is a big factor, you know.
Speaker 4: I think Lachlan someone who's come in.
Speaker 5: And a lot of a lot of success in I guess and sports in general, but certainly in this game, is is about.
Speaker 4: Being ready, being prepared to.
Speaker 5: Seize your opportunity, you know, and to go to someone else for a second, like you know, Nocaliskin and I spoke in pre season about you know, his pathway and his future and what that looks like and and you know, the net net of the conversation without you know, going too far into it is and like you can play at this level, be ready, it's coming when you get it, don't let it go right And that's obviously something that he's done. And you know, I think, you know, certainly Lockie had opportunities with us as well. And I don't think, you know, through any deficiency or fault I guess of his own. But in the games where he was, you know, he had the opportunities to to grab the game. It wasn't that he uh, you know, played extremely poorly. It was just he didn't grab it. He didn't take the opportunity, and and that was difficult. And sometimes some some players, for various reasons, may get a few more opportunities.
Speaker 4: Some players may get a few less.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it's you know, your attitude, your personality, your characters. Sometimes with how you're training, it's your work great. There's a lot of factors that go into how many opportunities are you going to get? But the reality is, if you're a good enough flair at this level, you are going to get an opportunity and are you going to be prepared to take it? And you know, whether he was prepared to take it or not. You know, I don't know if he prepared himself, but I know that when he did have those opportunities, it's unfortunate because I think he has a lot of talent. He's a good player, he's a good kid. But yeah, he didn't he didn't grab it on the field. And a number of factors came together in the summer window to make this the right move for him and the right move for us.
Speaker 4: Obviously, it frees up a.
Speaker 5: Roster spot, international spots and cap space. All those things were advantageous on our side, and you know, he he gets a clean start and a fresh started at a new club, and he's able to work his way up there.
Speaker 2: There are very few players in MLS, if any, that have had the calendar year the Diego has, the die A Luna has. He has the Gold Copis experience where his star just shot through the roof. He has the Skills Challenge All Star experience. Then he has the task of carrying a heavy load for you guys because he's that good. What do you see lately? Is it a little bit of fatigue? Is he pressing too hard? Is this a young man learning to be a star? I remember Donovan Mitchell went through this. He went through a real downtime and I talked to his coach, Quinn Snyder, and he said, he's learning to be a star. I don't think anybody saw the Donovan Mitchell evolution when it happened, and I'm not sure how many people saw Diego star shooting through the roof the way it has is. Is this a young player just learning to carry a very very heavy load both on.
Speaker 3: And off the field.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you did a great job of answering my question. That's tollally above your spot on, you know, and it's you know, I guess it's what are you saying when you say learning to be a star? And I think it's just you know, obviously, you know, you get to where you are by doing what you've done. And so sometimes when people get to a certain points like well, I've got to you know, it's on me now, I got to do a little more, And sometimes that pushes you to try things a little bit differently, and it's you know, it's just about realizing, like, hey, just just do my thing. My thing got me here, my thing will be fine. And I think Diego when he's come back, he's I mean, he's putting a ton of work, he has a ton of miles on his legs.
Speaker 4: Fatigue is certainly playing into it, you know, learning, learning how to kind of even off the field, you know, deal with some of this stuff.
Speaker 5: And Diego is a really like well grounded kid, down to earth kid. And you know, I've never seen a person as young as he is deal with the attention he's getting in such a good, positive, you know, seemingly healthy way.
Speaker 4: So like all that is great, but you know, like that that type of the year he's having would obviously affect the best of us.
Speaker 5: And in some way, and so obviously he's not he's not, you know, not that it's that better or worse, but he's certainly not in the same headspace and expectations for himself and pressure on himself now as he was, you know in March or in February when when he got to us from from nationally camp, right, and so all that's changed, and so that requires some adaptation on his part on our part, and it's you know, it's just about learning and growing together and figuring out, Okay, how do we how do we maximize you know, what's going on with you, Diego, how do we how do we harness what you've gotten the best way possible?
Speaker 4: How do we you know, add some.
Speaker 5: Players around you to help maybe make your job a little bit easier, take some load off of you so that you know, you can be more impactful in fewer moments rather than having to try to do something in every moment. So that's that's really the process that we're going through right now.
Speaker 2: How much of his skill set, if at all, colored your context and decision making when you were scouting cruise and all the tune gi you know, and I talked to Pablo about this, this week. I've always been just give me the talent, give me the talent, will figure it out. I've always been a give me the talent guy. But also, you know, certainly this is the case in other sports. I'm not sure how pertinent is in soccer. It's a much different game. When you have a player as brad as Diego. Do you analyze what he does well when you're scouting these other players to make sure they fit his skill set or is it just like these guys are awesome, let's figure it out.
Speaker 4: No, not not the second thing. I've been. I've been a place or two where.
Speaker 5: It's the second thing of just let's get talent in the door and figure it out. And you know, I think you you that works out when you get really really lucky, you know, and it's it's tough, but it's certainly not something that's repeatable or systematic.
Speaker 4: So you know, when we were signing these two players, we.
Speaker 5: Absolutely kept a close eye on what we thought Diego's strengths were, what were things that we could compliment him with, and what were things that would enhance his skill set. And you know, like I described the two guys to you earlier, right, we you know, he's a guy that likes to op right in the space underneath. So we found someone or wanted to find someone that could play on the iceland that could stretch. You know, if Diego were a player that loved to run in behind from deever positions and you know, be the guy who runs to the near post, then we probably sign a different player, right, who maybe does different things than that. Right, But so the compliment to what Diego does is someone who does stretch, who does run in behind, and then bringing in someone like Ruan who he can combine with, right, and so he's not trying to dribble three four players in the middle.
Speaker 4: Of the defense.
Speaker 5: But he's now someone where maybe Diego can beat one or two players off the dribble, but then combine and play one two to get around another one and use him as a decoy at times or use him as an option at times to feed and eganscoble. So yeah, I mean when you talk about do we look at what would compliment Diego? Absolutely right, and as well as the rest of the team. I don't want to just focus on Diego there and put too much on him. We focus on what we have and how do we compliment that and that's critical to us.
Speaker 2: Last week, Yeah, you know, I've asked you about Rafa Cabral pretty much weekly, and you know you alluded to something a little bit earlier like sometimes your best laid plans aside, you need a little luck. And I'm not saying you got lucky here, but he has just been as bad as any spot on your roster in my opinion, and you could make a case that keeper is the most important position in soccer, and watching him last week against Club America, in those pks, there's a little Nicki Rimando feel with the way he stepped up.
Speaker 3: It didn't work out.
Speaker 2: Against San Luis San Luis, but what can you say about what that addition has meant to you to your club this year?
Speaker 4: I'm honestly can't can't say enough.
Speaker 5: It wasn't luck getting someone with his character, his mentality, his leadership. Those were all things that we we you know, dug into in the in the sort of recruitment process and and came back with flying colors, like there were no question marks, no doubts about his character, his mentality, his leadership, what he could add to our team in our locker room, and so from that standpoint, you know, he's he's been as advertising and it's been great. Obviously, the you know, the part that was a little bit less certain was just he's coming he's coming off the season where he hasn't played with any games, and you know, he's he's getting a little older, which you know, for a lot of players is an issue, but for goalkeepers it's it's much much less of an issue. You can get goalkeepers playing, you know, into thirty thirty nine, forty forty one. You know, like goalkeepers can play for a long time in that position, especially as they as they get older. They understand positioning, they're good with their feet, they can organize, and those are all things that are strengths of his obviously.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean, but he also ticked a lot of boxes for adaptation.
Speaker 5: He spoke English, he played abroad and two and I think two different countries before going back to Brazil and coming here. You know, so he ticked a lot of boxes that made you think like, Okay, this is a guy that a you know, has has shown he can adapt after his own country, speaks the language here, he probably adapts well here, b I think, you know, and this is what we love to see from guys is his desire to come to come here.
Speaker 4: You know, he really wanted to come here.
Speaker 5: And that's something that is isn't lost on us either, because those players, those players, when they get here, they're the committed, they're the most committed.
Speaker 4: They integrate the.
Speaker 5: Best into the team, the club, of the community, and those are the types of guys that we love to have.
Speaker 3: Last thing, Kurt, I'll set you loose on this.
Speaker 2: It got late early for you guys with a rough start, but you're unbeaten in eight of your last nine and you went from thirteenth to eight in the West since mid June.
Speaker 3: Why the turnaround? What do you attributed to most?
Speaker 5: I mean, look, we are the I think the third or fourth youngest team in terms of you know, playing time, minutes wait at average age in the league. And the answer sometimes this question is is really obvious, right, So what a young players do? They develop and they get better as long as they're given minutes and they're given proper coaching, and that's you know what ourgan is one. So you know a lot of our group has gotten better, right and they've developed, and so that's helped results along. I think learning, you know, the coaches figuring out a little bit of tweaking the tactical structure a little bit at times has been has been helpful as well. Right adding Gozo in a few games there is that is that second striker option as well as a wide option. You know, having that flexibility in him, that's something that has helped the team and the team structure a lot as well. So figuring some of those things out on the fly and then honestly out of it is you.
Speaker 4: Know, not to go back to this, but something is a little bit of luck because you know, we.
Speaker 5: Had games I think early in the season where our performance and if you look at someone like the underlying more advanced statistical metrics, you know our performance was good. We should have won this game or drawn this game, or we shouldn't have.
Speaker 4: Lost this game, and we did lose the game. Then you know, you get to some of these games later and that that has switched a little bit.
Speaker 5: And so that's something whereas you play more games and you have a bigger sample size, as long as you keep playing at a good level, you know you're you're gonna do what those things usually say you should do. And and I think that's that's where things have gotten as well, and we're continuing to play at a high level and the team has now more confidence and more belief, which you know is a virtuous cycle.
Speaker 2: Now, well, it's been fun to watch the turnaround. Congrats on that. Congrats aren't getting these players across the line. Good luck tonight, Kurt, and I appreciate the time.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, appreciate it. Thanks all right, Kurt.
Speaker 3: Schmid urseld action tonight in league's Cup play.
Speaker 2: They're back in action in MLS Cup play against New York coming up on Sunday,