Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Monster Talk is supported by listeners like you. Find out how you can contribute via Patreon or with reviews at monster talk dot org, forge slash support. Your contributions, large or small, make a huge difference. Thanks. One of the most satisfying aspects of researching monsters is when you can find interesting facts that have become the focus of legend for reasons I still don't understand. Some historical characters seem to accrete legends the way old houses collect spider webs. Such is the case with this week's subject matter, perhaps the most legendary character of Quebec history yet based on a very real person. She had a full name and a short life, but her afterlife has been lengthy and fakend, giving birth to many many legends. Was she a witch? Was she a murderer? Poisoner? Hey, let's stop being care We're going to talk about lecre though.
Speaker 3: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 1: A giant, hairy creature Mark Ape part Matt in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. Get the creature known as the Luckness monster Monstertal.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. A really fun thing about creating Monster Talk is I get to learn stuff if I'm being honest. If I'm being honest. In many ways, the self motive force of this show is my insatiable curiosity about the macabre and the monstrous. Monster Talk gets me in touch with people who've done deep research on topics that I've often never even heard of before. Some listeners suggest them as an episode topic, and such is the case with today's subject, the woman they call le Corvo. Legends say she killed as many as twenty husbands, that she was a witch, that she was a poisoner, that she consulted with werewolves and other dark forces, that she would come back from beyond the grave and do harm. But behind all that, it's an interesting historical study of a woman a suspicious death in the middle cage they call the Gibbet. Our guest today is historian Joseph Ganie, and check out the show notes. In addition to the links to additional research material, he also provides some photos relevant to the story of this notorious figure. Of Quebec History.
Speaker 1: Monstertal.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be talking about an interesting character, but first let's find about you as an interesting character. Who are you, Joseph Ganie.
Speaker 1: I am the one, the only, the irreplaceable Joseph Gangy. Yes, indeed, I'm actually a doctoral student at Lavalle University in Quebec City. I'm originally from Northern Ontario and I'm French Canadian despite the goofy Northern Ontario. Acci and a, is that your friend and the wood Chipper are there? But yeah, no, And I specialize in the Seven Years War, So that's basically the French and Indian War for Americans at lovely period of nine years. Don't do the math that preceded the American Revolution. So basically there would be no American Revolution without the French in Indian War. And so I'm currently working on. My doctoral thesis is studying military intelligence within the French armies, everything having to do with spies and gathering information on the enemy.
Speaker 2: Wow. Interesting, that is interesting. I wish we had time to go into.
Speaker 1: That another day.
Speaker 2: Does anybody so the French and India the Seven Years Does anybody called the Frindian War?
Speaker 1: No? But I've once seen a cartoon where they had Americans going, oh no, it's the French French Poodle and Indian War.
Speaker 2: It's a I like history, but and we do get into it occasionally, and I guess we will be about to get into a little bit. Does this topic have anything to do with war?
Speaker 1: Honestly, absolutely there is. There is. There is a context absolutely with that period. First of all, I think like the best way to start is is to kind of back up with with what the actual story is, because the the irony is that this is a very well known story, uh in French Canada without necessarily being accurately known. But outside of French Canada, most people will have heard of it, probably thanks to the TV show a few years ago Creepy Canada. La Correvo's story actually made the top ten Scariest Canadian.
Speaker 2: Ghost stories Creepy Canada.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think I forget if it was like late nineties, early two thousands.
Speaker 2: I have to track it down. That sounds awesome.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was doing some research on this topic and it just seems like we've got the English language scoop on the story by in large because there's just not very much out there. But I did discover that there was a heavy metal band by the same.
Speaker 1: Name, I believe, so, yes, it's that's really.
Speaker 2: Good through the magic of editing. I don't think anybody knows who we're talking about yet.
Speaker 3: I don't think they do either. We're being mysterious about it. So Lcorvo and Joseph, if you could give us her full name?
Speaker 1: Oh, her full name is Marie jo zift Coivo.
Speaker 2: And basically does that make her marry Joe Corvo?
Speaker 1: I guess so. Really, when you think about it.
Speaker 2: I think that sounds like an Appalachian story from a previous episode. All right, go ahead, sorry.
Speaker 1: Which I'm actually halfway listening to right.
Speaker 2: Now, wait till we get done with this interview. That's my advice.
Speaker 3: So all right, perfect, Hey, well, I think we ask the big question. Who is she?
Speaker 1: Well, Mattie joisef Corriveau was traditionally regarded as a witch in French Canadian folklore. She was said to be a woman that basically would murder her husbands and finally got caught. There are hundreds of versions of her story. The most traditionally she killed two of her husbands, but you have some versions where she had over twelve where she killed each one in a more sordid manner, from one after another, whether poisons, abbing, strangling, one of the weirder ones just basically taking a pillow and sitting on her last husband's face. And the idea was that she was a witch who would be peddling in in love potions and poisonous brew and so on. And she finally gets caught and she was punished, and depending on the version you hear, either she was executed by hanging and then placing a gibbet, or she was squarely put in a gibbet, left to die hanging, and then after her death she would basically be haunting the south shore of Quebec, of the Quebec region, and you would actually have parents telling their kids, come home, come home earlier, else that Koreivo will get you which and these stories still circulate to this day. And what I find fascinating as well is that I'm French Canadian, but I'm from the next province over. I'm from Ontario, and as a kid, even I had heard of the story. This is how infamous it is in French Canadian society.
Speaker 2: Are there a lot of French Canadian ghosts. You mentioned Creepy Canada, so obviously they had to flesh out a whole season. Did they did they hit like the Wind to Go? Or like what kind of things did they cover? If you don't mind me asking a TV show.
Speaker 1: Well, that's for the TV show. They surprisingly had very little French Canadian folklore. They tended to try to cover Canada from coast to coast, so you have you would have stories from haunted lighthouses in the Maritimes to strange disappearances in Ontario and and so on. I don't recall there being that many monster stories, unfortunately, but it was a lot of like gray ladies, haunting buildings and so on. Lane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, I want to hear about la poutine.
Speaker 1: By the way, good on you for saying it more or less correctly. Some people will say, like whether we'll actually just stretch it like pootie, and it's like no, no, poots it and it's just spin it out.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's what's for breakfast, That's what I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh you can have it in Quebec. Can you have it for breakfast? Now there's a place that's open twenty four hours?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, they have it. You know, this is really a weird tangent, but they have it in Detroit too. You can get it at what they like, what we would call it, kind of a diner or greasy spoon. They call a coney Island and so they yeah, you know, yeah, hot dog's chili. But you can get poutin in us of this place. It's a good deal anyway.
Speaker 1: Fun fact Detroit used to be French. A lot of people don't know that.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, I do that because we've talked about the the werewolf of Gross Points and a few other things related to Yeah, and then of course we still haven't covered but I owe us an episode on named Rouge.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, yes, indeed.
Speaker 2: So many fun things in that whole area there. But how did you get an interest in La Corvo?
Speaker 1: Well? It it was a nice coincidence where I was originally interested by it as a kid because the imagery is quite lively when you think of a woman punished by being put in a cage or a gibbet. So that already struck my imagination as a kid when I would when we would read about her story in our textbooks in elementary school. But later on as I became a specialist of the French regime in North America, specifically a seven years War. Well turns out that the true story happens in the year seventeen sixty three, which is the end of the French and Udian War. That's where the real story gets fascinating if we backtrack with her life. Essentially, very little is known of mahisho Zeft herself besides the fact that she was born in seventeen thirty three, so that would make roughly thirty years old when she was executed. She had gotten married at the age of sixteen to her first husband, Charles Bouchal Charles Bouchard with the English pronunciation. As far as we know, they had a happy marriage. They had three children, two daughters and one son, but he eventually he eventually passed away in the seventeen fifties, I believe, from what seems to have been smallpox or some disease that caused a great fever. So that kind of breaks that first part of the legend where she would kill all her husbands one after another. But where it gets interesting is that she remarries. Shortly after she marries her neighbor Luis de Zier on July twentieth, seventeen sixty one, and things go off on a rocky start. First of all, we're talking about the seventeen sixties, the early seventeen sixties, when just to recap everyone's history, you have French North America, the Colleague of New France, which stretches roughly across two thirds of the continent. A lot of Americans don't realize the American Midwest was very much French. Just look at your geography. I have Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Happy Green Bay was actually beavel all these French names you can find around in the American Midwest, all the way down to Louisiana. Now, through war and diplomacy, that whole territory ended up being carved up between Great Britain and Spain. Now, Canada was conquered by the British in seventeen sixty when they took Montreal. And so when that Codevo gets married in seventeen sixty one, the colony had been British for a year, and so so everyone is uncertain is the colony going to remain British as France going to get it back through diplomatic negotiations. No one knows for now, But in the meantime she gets married and her husband turns out seems to be unfortunately quite violent, and her father would regularly get into spats with him, and they would actually get quite public. People would be would be talking about these run ins between the two men. But worse than that was that Machholz effort actually talk to British soldiers and try to seduce them or offer them anything they wanted in exchange for beating up her husband to give him a lesson, And until finally, in January of seventeen January seventeen sixty three, the twenty eight year old duds Ye is found dead in his barn, supposedly trampled by a horse. Now, at first, no one makes anything of it. They bury his body immediately, But that's probably what what brought up suspicions was how quickly the family buried the body. Usually in French Canadian society back then, they would wait two or three days before burying it, and so people were starting to whisper that this might have been a murder. And sure enough, days later.
Speaker 2: Are you saying that murder is beating a horse death?
Speaker 1: Actually this was the reverse, the the the alibi, whether the horse beat the guid to death?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I say in the popularity though, I think she's like true, murder's much more exciting. So yeah, yeah, you know, it was like chickens.
Speaker 1: You could have said this was murder most foul.
Speaker 2: Oh nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it seems like these two deaths are unrelated.
Speaker 1: The unrelated, Yes, indeed, contrary to the.
Speaker 2: Uh yes, are they related by marriage?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is that, yes, yes. In February of that same year, basically there was a military tribunal that was brought about military court investigate the death because so Louis does you was dug up? His body re examined. Sergeant George Fraser of the Fraser's Highlanders had examined the body, and in his report he wrote, and I'm quoting, upon examining the body of Louis du Z, I found two wounds in his face, one near his upper lip, which penetrated through the flesh and upper jaw. The other wound a little before the eye, which was about four inches deep. Two other wounds on the left side of his head, which fractured his skull. His lower jaw was fractured without a wound. The wounds on his face and head were about three inches from each other. I am of the opinion that those wounds were the cause of the man's death. Signed George Fraser, fourteenth February seventeen sixty three. And so the court decided that there was a murder, and so they tried both Marijelost and her father, Joseph, because he was the one who had the reputation of getting into fights constantly with his new son in law.
Speaker 3: And they didn't they didn't investigate the first death, they didn't revisit that.
Speaker 1: No, the first death was admitted as being a natural cause. The priest attested to it. So basically, at the end of the tribunal, the autopsy was in February, but the first tribunal was in March March twenty ninth to April ninth. So on April ninth, the military court concluded that a murder had been committed and that it was Marijeozest's father fault, Joseph, and so he was set to be hanged on the fifteenth Wow. And what's interesting is that she was also seen as being part of the of the murder, so as to quote the document, the period document. The court is likewise of opinion that Marie Joseph Corriveau, his daughter widow Louis Helena Helena Dudsy, is guilty of knowing of said murder, and doth therefore adjudge her to receive sixty lashes with a cat and nine tales upon her bare back at three different places Visavie under Gallows, upon the marketplace of Quebec, and in the parish of Saint Valier, twenty lashes at each place and branded on the left hand with the letter M and the letter M for murderer. Ye. Now there's a giant twist in the story is that her father is set to be executed on the fifteen of April. Now, just before his execution, he ends up speaking with Father Glapion, who was the superior of the Jesuits in Quebec city, and almost like an Alfred Hitchcock twist, he confesses that he didn't commit the murder, but he didn't want to go to hell for basically committing suicide through lying ah And so Father Glapion is now stuck with the choice of revealing what was told to him or leaving an innocent man be executed, and so he obviously tells the local authorities, and so there's a new trial altogether, which takes place April fifteenth, ironically, the day that Joseph was supposed to be executed, and they immediately lay the blame on Marie Joseph. Confession is given and so on, and she is set to be executed three days later on the eighteenth. And so she was to be executed on the Plains of Abraham, which are now famous for having been the setting of the battle for the City of Quebec in seventeen fifty nine, the famous one where both generals died Moulka and Wolf, very famous in Canadian history, even though technically it's a year later in Montreal that Canada gets lost to the British altogether. But point is, she's said to be executed on the plains, and one's dead. Her body was to be placed in a gibbet and exposed on the south shore of Quebec in what is now the city of Le v just across the river. So, just so people have a mental image of how the region looks geographically, is that you have the city of Quebec and there's the Saint Lawrence and right south on the south shore, the Saint Lawrence is the city of le v that ends in a point as the river turns northwards towards the ocean, and it's on that point that the cage the Gibbet was exhibited because it was a perfect spot where you could see back in the day, you could actually see it from both sides of the shore, and anyone coming from villages down the river would come up to the city and see the cage. Yeah, very gruesome.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess the point is it does have a deterrent effect too.
Speaker 1: If that was the idea. Yeah, yeah, But this is where it becomes fascinating because this was seen as particularly gruesome by the locals.
Speaker 2: Now mind you and smelly, I imagine.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, yeah, because the body was left there for forty two days, which was actually short. And let me explain is that traditionally, in under French law in the colony, you would punish criminals with hanging, or for particularly nasty crimes, they would be executed with the wheel. Now it's not the wheel you're thinking of, the and the medieval stretching wheel where you're strapped and they just basically start your limbs No, this is the wheel where they would strap you on a big on a on a big wagon wheel and break every bone in your body with an iron mass and basically let the birds peck you to death. So there were there were gruesome punishments in New France.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: The other very gruesome one is for suicides. You would actually have your body dragged all the way to the public market, face down and then exposed to public infamy.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, like, after you've committed suicide, they dragged you and then put you on on display.
Speaker 1: Basically look at the coward who took his own life.
Speaker 2: But if they dragged you face down, wouldn't you be pretty much unrecognizable?
Speaker 1: There are many strange.
Speaker 2: And I found a hole in their plan, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought they were just buried at crossroads.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they would just be abandoned in a in a an unclaimed field. But point is that these criminals would be exposed at crossroads or in public markets and so on, but usually just hanging off of a rope. That's about it. But the British had their punishment looked particularly gruesome because of the iron cage, the gibbet. So that was the extra added creepy factor for the locals, because even though gibbets had been more or less common in France as well by that period in the eighteenth century, it wasn't common anymore, and it was never really brought into the colonies as a practice, So this kind of stuck to people's minds. And in fact, what's also interesting is that La Corriveau was not the first person put in a gibbet. There's actually a French soldier in seventeen sixty one that had been caught by the British after a quadruple murder and also put in a gibbet and also inspired his own legend, but that's probably a story for another day. All in all, the reason why La Carrevo's case is fascinating is because remember we're at the end of the war, and in February of seventeen sixty three, a peace treaty is signed with between France and Great Britain, and so the war is over, and they also confirm that Canada will remain British, and so the temporary governor of Canada, James Murray, figures, oh, crap I gotta make friends real quick, and so he orders the cage to be buried. And that's why, even though to us it would seem in humane seeing this body for forty two days, it was technically really short. Usually bodies were exposed until he would just completely fall apart and there was nothing left to expose. And so that's particular, and that brings us to the second part of her story, because the cage disappears for about one hundred years until eighteen forty nine or eighteen fifty one, we're not sure. It's between those those dates. People were renovating the cemetery in Levy and as they're digging up, as I recall, I believe they're trying to make the wall wider, and as they were removing stones, they stumbled on the cage, which back in the day would have been buried outside of the cemetery. They stumble on the cage, and all of a sudden, people are talking about this. And this is a period of time where people still had memories of their grandparents and they would say, oh, my grandmother, my grandfather told me about this lady that was in a cage and in a gibet that was exhibited. And then people start talking about the story, and also fascinating that this is a period in time where Quebec intellectuals are obsessed with writing the history of the province, are obsessed with writing down the folklore. Where speaking of ethnography, this was a movement that we're seeing in Europe. In the US. Just think of the Brothers grim for example, just writing down all those old folk tales. So the discovery of her cage happens in that precise movement in the intellectual world, and so many writers latch onto her story and start telling their own versions, and from then on other people will tell a story. And it was snowball with details and so on, to the point where people didn't even believe her story was true. But as for the cage, the cage disappears yet again, and I'll let you guess where it went.
Speaker 2: It was it still in Canada, not at all.
Speaker 1: It made its way to Montreal. Basically, people were encouraging people to come and visit and give a small amount of money, and they eventually sold it to P. T. Barnum made museum.
Speaker 2: That would have been my only guess. That's really funny.
Speaker 1: But of course, let's as we recall P. T. Barnum's museum burns down in eighteen sixty five in New York, and so for the longest time, many people thought the cage had had been destroying that fire, even though there are rumors going about that the cage had been seen the Gibbet rather had been seen at the Boston Museum, that apparently P. T. Barnum had lent or rented the cage to I forget the name of the owner of the Boston Museum, but that it was there until finally it made its way and none other than Salem, Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: Really absolutely why essentially just ended up in the collections of the Peabuddy Essex Museum.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure people in Massachusetts are screaming saying it's not how you pronounce the museum's name, things like TBD or something like that. So please forgive me people from Salem in Massachusetts. I I admit I don't know how to pronounce that museum.
Speaker 3: So is it still there today? Can you see it today?
Speaker 1: Well, back in twenty eleven, researchers on the internet, I believe it was Vicky lap Poynt had mentioned that the New York Public Library had a bunch of black and white photographs. I had to do with Quebec history, and the president of the le v Historical Association stumbled on a black and white photograph and the description of the gibbet in the photograph was gibbit having contained the widow duds. Ye. That's an oddly specific detail because your average person only knows the name Krivo, and anyone familiar with the true facts of her story immediately recognized, Wait a minute, the widow duds Ye, that is La Correvo's gibbit. And so as the rumor was running amok on Facebook that the cage possibly still existed at the Peabody Essex Museum, because the photograph also said a picture taken seventeen thirties in Salem at the Peabody Essex Museum, I actually called up the museum to ask them if they had if they still had the gibbet, and a few days later they contacted me back and confirmed that they had it. And by the time I was supposed to go down and see the cage. Because just a little side note for any of your listeners that read French and want to know more about this cage and the story of that Kohivo. Two friends of mine, two wonderful friends of mine, Catherine Felnant and Dave Karivo wrote the definitive biography of mahisho Zeff's life and how her legend just snowballed into infamy. And as they were writing, I contacted them about the cage, and we were set to actually travel to Salem to see the cage, until at the last minute the museum contacted that said never mind, we're actually shipping it to Quebec because now that they knew the infamy of this collection piece they had in their museum, they immediately contacted the Museum of Civilizations in Quebec and they had their best specialists take a look at the cage, and I am happy to say officially, as of last year, the gibbet is now back in Quebec where it belongs with its legend and infamy.
Speaker 2: But they did confirm for sure it was hers though right.
Speaker 1: The paperwork indicates it, and so far nothing seems to contradict the cage's identity. Everything sticks, the timeline, the paperwork, the paper trail metallurgically. Now that the museum actually owns the cage. Because they have the Museum Civilization did have to basically make a case that the cage was authentic before the Peabody Essex agreed to donate it.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And now that they do possess that, they want to push their analysis see if there's anything metallurgical they can get out of it. But so far all the circumstantial evidence evidence fits with the gibbet. And then it's actually one of the only two authentic gibbets in North America.
Speaker 2: So you would you say that after wrestling with that question, it's a steel cage match.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: Joseph, did you do you finally get to see it?
Speaker 1: I did? I did. I was very fortunate every time has been exhibited to the public or for scientific scrutiny. I've found a way of seeing it. And in fact, if anyone is visiting Quebec between now and the end of January, the cages the gibbet is actually currently exhibited at our Museum of Civilizations along with all the best pieces of the collections. There's a wonderful exhibit. It's basically curators favorite pieces and the case is right in there, right in the back with all of the artifacts having to do with crime and murder. Uh. Now you might be wondering why is the cage temporarily exhibited. It's basically because of its infamy, ironically, because let's not forget that Marjuozev did have three children, and they, in their turn had many descendants, and so some people will question the cage's curiosity aspect is it is it really proper and humane to make a spectacle out of this basically a tool of torture and humiliation that had been used against someone's ancestor, especially considering that her the murder wasn't gratuitous. She was basically defending herself against a violent husband. Confess if she did, it was basically a forced confession. I do recall having read an article one time by a modern, a modern lawyer, and I just wish I remembered her name, and she had concluded that if this case were to be brought to court today, it would have actually been dismissed for lack of actual proof, because everything was circumstantial according to what people would say and so on. And there's so many contradictory eyewitnesses, including one who swore he saw three people leave the bar, and including one that was bloodied, So it's really hard to tell. Was she the one who actually did the act. Now we do know that she wanted to get rid of her husband. She had been approaching people to at least give him a good lesson, not necessarily kill him. But that is unfortunately the problem with primary sources that are written, especially in this case. It's fascinating to know that like the court documents, which by the way, were not found in Canada but actually back in back in England in the nineteen forties by one of her descendants, all the documents are nearly completely in English, even though the occupying British force were in a French country essentially, so one wonders how much of the court had trouble understanding the cross examinations because of the language barrier.
Speaker 3: And I was wondering too how the locals would have reacted to the British coming in and making decisions about what was to happen to her.
Speaker 1: It harkens back to what I was saying about how even the British were kind of embarrassed by the GiB At once peace was declared, because as much as they had been really imposing basically an iron fist and their ruling just to keep the peace, well, once the colony became British. The idea was to try to make friends as fast as you could so you wouldn't have that friction between the British and French Canadian.
Speaker 2: I'm curious about how her case became sort of associated with the folklore of being sort of a female version of blue Beard, where you know, how did did you an your research? Did you happen to note when these stories about her being responsible for multiple husbands stacking up, you know, like you know, to large numbers. Yeah, yeah, how did you find any pattern about when that started to sort of accrete around her story?
Speaker 1: Basically everything starts after the discovery of the cage, where you have people that at first are just basing themselves on what their grandparents remembered, and then from then it just takes on a literary life of its own. For example, many people will always say, oh, yes, La Corrivo, the witch that was put in a GiB, She never was a witch. Ironically, as a colleague of mine, Stephanie Pettigrew in Acadia put it, Canada's most famou a witch wasn't a witch at all. Because these are all elements from literature that were added much later in the late nineteenth century. Yeah, yeah, And as I had mentioned earlier, the story has snowball so much. The cage once that had disappeared into the US, people forgot about the cage having actually existed, but the story remained to the point where people didn't even believe that this was a true story to begin with it. It really became pure legend, and so people just ran with it. There was no there's no case to be made of having any purely historical inquiry into the story. And in fact, as you'll recall earlier, I mentioned that was one of her descendants in the nineteen forties who he went to England to find the original court documents, precisely on a quest to prove that the story of her execution was true. Because this is also in a time where genealogy was becoming quite popular in French Canada, and so people knew they were descended of this woman, but without necessarily knowing the true details. And so it's really from the nineteen forties that we finally were able to say, no, no, she only had two husbands, she didn't have twelve, and so on. Oh, she really became an icon in popular folklore, not only through oral history, but also on the Quebec literary scene. Either people would write books about her entirely or she would be she would have a supporting role. I'm trying to remember the author's name. He had written a novel named The Golden Dog, where all of a sudden, a krivo. She's not a thirty year old young woman. She's actually an old crone who basically poison, sells poison to people and to spurned lovers and so on. And even to this day you see the figure of Marijosef Karivo being common deered and transformed again and again. Where you had nationalists during the Quebec referendum periods trying to show her as look at the injustice brought upon by the British putting our people in cages and so on, then you have people trying to put a feminist slant going look at this victim who was just protecting herself from a violent husband, who ends up being punished for having defended herself. And so it's fascinating how Lako turns from historical figure to boogeyman, to a national symbol to a feminist symbol. And today we're coming full circle, right back to the historical person thanks to the cage having been rediscovered again. So it's this weird perennial lie the many lives of Lacoiveau, if we can call it that. And it's just such a fascinating character because she she combines two historical regimes, the French and British. Reyme she combines folklore in history. Uh, and and so on. It's just one of those like Lynchpin characters of our history that that even though she was your average person, really just has like this extraordinary afterlife in the popular consciousness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just being looked at it through the lanes of different ears.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And in fact, just a fun fact, a few years ago, Canada, for three years in a row had their Haunted Canada postage stamps, and I believe their last year of doing that, they actually had that Corrivo on a Canadian stamp. So you can actually send mail with that Corrivo and her and her gibbet.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who would have thought? What a strange story it is? Yeah, isn't she there? Aren't they ghost sightings of her today? And or she manifests as a pultageist.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's always that rumor. It's funny. And here here's the funny thing too, is that I should mention that i really love Lea Corivo because I've spent the past ten years. I've been in Quebec for ten years, and for ten years I've worked at the Ghost Tours of Quebec and every night we would tell her story. And what was fascinating is that I would constantly have people from the South Shore going, yes, I know the story we used to talk about as a kid. And there's always someone's family member who swore they saw they saw the ghost or whatnot. It's interesting to know what, skeptically speaking, what came first, the chicken or the egg. As skeptics, we can probably argue a there is one direction. But in popular folklore you you will see that Lea Koivo comes back as her witch form because she wants to hang out with other witches, do the Witch Sabbath and so on.
Speaker 2: Hanging out at this point.
Speaker 1: There are stories of also where werewolves would come howling under her gibbet for her to come out and and come celebrate the Black Sabbath and so on. And in fact, if anyone is interested in reading one of the original stories having to do with it. I would strongly suggest reading The Canadians of Old by Philip Aubert de guesp do my best English pronunciation of his name. Uh. He was basically our earliest French Canadian novelist, and he would he basically wrote a book that was a mishmash of childhood memories, of of what his elders would tell him through oral history and whatnot. And he basically just created this anthology with a single common thread of two characters interacting with each other. But point is, there's a there's a whole chapter, and in fact, there's two chapters dedicated to Le Corrivou, and you can actually search for it on archive dot org.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should put a link to that in the show notes.
Speaker 3: Just a little side question. I'm curious about her three children. So they were, they survived, and they continued and had their own children, and so far, so far.
Speaker 1: As we know, and in fact, what's interesting is that madijel Zev had eight siblings and she's the only one who reached adulthood and she herself only had three children. And we were not sure if she had any other children because they don't appear in the in the birth records, because if she did have, for example, a miscarriage, or if a child died shortly after birth before being baptized, they probably would have buried the child without bothering to go notify the church, because at this point the child was seen as unbaptized then beyond that church sacrament. But as far as I recall, I do believe her children, if not all, there are many corrivos today descended from her. Now I don't have the exact numbers, but we do know that she had many descendants. So I wish I had actual numbers and name who had the most descendants, but unfortunately I can't.
Speaker 3: I'm glad she's able to live on through them anyway.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you know, I we'd like to finish our interviews with this sort of signature question. What's your favorite monster?
Speaker 1: Joe? Oh, it's in my head. I always have like that holy trifecta where I love were wolves. I absolutely love were wolves, and I'm also lumping in the Beast of Chevode in there, like I'm just nuts about that story, and movie wise, I love the creature from the Black Lagoon. But but for the occasion, I will name Bigfoot. And this is why. So uh, so we're we're in December, and last year, unfortunately my mother passed away, but I was finding Thank you, I was lucky in finding this. Amongst your documents. There was a clipping. I'm amazed she had actually kept that. It was a clipping from a magazine and it is my earliest memory of Bigfoot where I think I was like five or six or something like that. So for anyone in Canada, if you remember al magazine, I have no idea if it still exists, but it was a nature magazine for kids, and it was a little clipping explaining Bigfoot, just an excuse to praise my mother for having fed my my my cryptosological needs as a kid without telling me. I was fastened by this. It was just like one paragraph with a with a sketch of like, oh, yes, there's apparently this ape like man creature running around in the woods. She went to the library took out all the books she could on Bigfoot, and my favorite one when I was a kid, if anyone remembers monster Mysteries, it was a book by I believe it was Rupert Matheuse, and it was wonderfully illustrated. Just every night my mom would read that book with me and just got me hooked on Bigfoot, and just for that, tonight I have to love were wolves, love creature for the Black Lagoon, but tonight is definitely Bigfoot, just because.
Speaker 3: Of that awesome great choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I think, you know, even as much as my mom. You know, really, I think frowns on a lot of this stuff. She did take me to go see King Kong, and I can't even imagine what kind of ridiculous begging I must have done to warrant that. But I still have a really great memory of her taking me to go see the the was it seventy six version of King Kong? You know, Dayla Renz's version, And it's just those when your mom or your dad takes the time to indulge your monster taste. It's it's a really big deal.
Speaker 1: See King Kong. I have like a reverse experience where what's that version of King Kong where they like, I think it's like King Kong Tour or whatever, where they give them like an artificial heart and bring them back.
Speaker 2: And that's like, uh, it's it's actually the where King Kong lives, I think, because he hooks up with that you have like his girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something that he has a son or whatever, which was actually I think it's just a chimpanzee. But the point is, like I remember watching it as a kid, and at one point, like King Kong just starts eating people or whatever. My mom's like, oh my god, and she just like ran up covered my eyes like they're just garbage bags kind of deer. It's just special effects. But I don't want you to see this.
Speaker 3: I remember my mom taking me to c Et and was I think I was about four or five at the time when it came out, and uh, and then afterwards I was seeking some kind of reassurance that aliens didn't exist. But no, no, she convinced me that she tried to reassure me or not reassure me by telling me that aliens certainly did exist.
Speaker 1: So I hate. I could not stand, you know how, like kids have like the monster onto the bed or whatever I had. There was like this little room right next to the right next to the bath up where we have the hot water heater, and every time I would take my bath alone as a little kid, I would always imagine ET's long fingers just sticking out from that little room, ready to strangle me, just freak me out. Oh did not like? Did not like?
Speaker 2: I liked him all right until the Atari game came out. All right, Joseph, thank you so much for listening to the show and for joining.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I think it's been great to talk about a lesser known character monster.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Monster Talk, this science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 3: And I'm Karen Stolzner.
Speaker 2: You just heard an interview with historian Joseph Kanye about the Quebec folkloric figure known as Le Corvo. Check out our show notes at monster talk dot' org for more information about her, plus some photos that Joseph shared with us at the location where her body had been gibbeted. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views expressed here are those of myself and my guests and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode, we strive to bring you the very best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, We now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forwarge Slash support. That's monster talk dot org forwarge Slash support. We have links there to our Patreon page as well as a donation button. Another great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love kindles so we can share our digital libraries with each other. And finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or where you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners, and please share our show on your favorite social media platforms.
Speaker 6: Longtime listeners to Skeptoid and also to our colleague podcasts often asked, what can I do? We all believe in the value of critical thinking and of the intellectual tools that help us tell fact from fiction, but we don't always know how to best spread those tools to others. Well, let me offer one easy and effective option. Skeptoid Media that's Us, by the way, is currently in production on a feature documentary titled Science Friction, about how the media abuses its science experts by misquoting them or editing them out of context, exploiting their reputations to promote sensationalized news or fake documentaries promoting debunked alternative histories. Part of our mission is a nonprofit, is that we will retain educational rights to give this movie free to teachers worldwide, alongside complete professionally produced educational materials to bring formalized lessons in critical thinking and scientific skepticism directly into classrooms. To retain those rights, we're crowdfunding the initial production. We're just about halfway to our goal right now, which you can see at Sciencefriction dot tv. You want to know what you can do to give the tools to students, this is it. We're asking a basic contribution of one hundred dollars. If you're on the team, now's the time to take the field and play ball. Please come to Sciencefriction dot tv and make your tax deductible donation to Science Friction. We ask one hundred dollars, but any amount helps. Donate enough you can even become an executive producer and get a legitimate screen credit. Sciencefriction dot TV. Watch the promo and see our store.
Speaker 2: Worries Monster Talk. The music's by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 5: Did you know that you can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally? Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app currently compatible with iOS, Android, PC, mac, Kindlefire, Kindlefire HD, and BlackBerry Playbook. Head over to skeptic dot com slash Magazine slash app to find out more and download more of your favorite Skeptic content.
Speaker 2: Joseph, you've heard the show before, so you probably.
Speaker 1: Know absolutely fact. I'm having a fanboy moment right now. I'm like, I can't believe I'm on the show.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just skip the last question.
Speaker 1: Then, Oh it hurts. That hurts.
Speaker 2: I'm now your favorite monster, Joseph, I'm now your favorite