Speaker 1: Welcome to Skin and Soul. I'm Gwenhemkarsley, a transformational body, sex and Soul coach, and I'm inviting you on a bold, unfiltered journey into the heart of our humanity through the lens of Arrows. This is where we strip away the shame, dive into the unspoken, and embrace the wild.
Speaker 2: Raw truth of our desires.
Speaker 1: Together we'll crack open the taboo and cover our deepest intimacies and awaken the pulse of our sexual essence. Because real transformation it's messy, it's thrilling, and it's oh so delicious. Buckle up, loves, Skin and Soul. Beyond the Pale starts in three two one.
Speaker 3: Let's go Hello and welcome. I'm Gwenhem. I'm your host of Skin and Soul Beyond the Pale, where we get to talk about what it means to be profound, the humans through the lens of arrows, and the myths and the guck of it all. And today I am joined by Jenny White, who has an incredible story. She's a retired registered nurse whose careers span more than thirty years in ICUs in trauma unit surgery, public health and long term care and in the midst of her career, she became the patient life threatening brain tumor left her in a coma. When she awoke, she could no longer remember her husband, had lost many memories, and had to relearn how to walk, how to talk, and essentially rebuild and reinvent her life. And along the way she did discover this beautiful spark of being a talented writer and has her debut novel, a medical thriller, The Triggering Scent, which actually draws on her years and expertise in healthcare and her own lived experience. So welcome, Welcome, Jenny.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much for having me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a pleasure. I just want to give people context around where you came from before we dive in, So just giving people just an idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I lived been in Ontario, Canada, and I became a nurse at the right page of twenty one and went back to school a couple of times to upgrade to do different things like ice you training, and then degrees and master's degrees and all that kind of stuff that I needed for administration. So I raised five kids and it's been quite a journey. You know. Being a nurse was sort of all consuming. So I had a great partner who helped raise the kids, and between us we both worked shift and we just managed to navigate and do what we needed to do.
Speaker 3: And at what point did you get the brain tumor in your life in your career?
Speaker 2: So actually I recently had the brain tumor. So I was actually retired as a nurse and enjoying retirement very much, doing the things that you always hope you're going to do, like travel the world and you know, do the things that you've always wanted to but didn't have the time to do. So it was actually just a little over two years ago that I had brain surgery and I just wasn't feeling well. One day, the nurse inside of me said you might be having a stroke. You better get checked, and so I got myself to emerge, and sure enough, they did the scans. Took it very seriously and they said, well, the good news is you're not having a stroke. The bad news is you've got a large brain tumor and it's going to kill you sooner than later. So that was the turning point of life where everything just kind of went upside down and backwards, and we just took one day at a time and went forwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then from my understanding, you woke up and you couldn't remember anything anymore. So the man next to you is no longer familiar. What was that experience like?
Speaker 2: Well it was at the time, it didn't really register on me. I just remember thinking, gee, I wonder who that is. And you know, the nurses and the doctors were asking me, who is this?
Speaker 3: Who is this?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, no idea. And I think I broke his heart that day actually, when he realized that I had no idea who he was. And I was actually tied to the bed because when I was coming out of my coma, I got quite combative. You know, there's a saying that nurses make the worst patience. Well, I kept that myth alive, and I apparently was trying to rip off bandages and rip out ivs and all the things that I shouldn't be doing. So they had to protect me, so they tied me to the bed. But when I woke up, I remember thinking, oh, this is bad. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you wake up, and you know, we spend so much of our time in our life being identified with one person as as we are, we build this person and then you wake up and have no idea who that person is anymore. Yeah, what was that experience like?
Speaker 2: Well, I remembered the nurse asking me what my name was, and I didn't have a clue. I was thinking and thinking and trying to come up with a name, but there was just nothing there. So I attempted to say something, and then the nurse said to me, she said, dear, you're just making sound. You're not speaking. We can't understand. You don't panic. You know, it is expected sometimes and it should improve shortly. But that was another realization that, oh, yeah, I've got a problem here. I can't I don't identify who people are. I don't know my name. I oddly I knew I was in an intensive carry in it. I guess the nurse inside of me was so familiar with that environment. You know, I recognize the smells and I recognize the sounds and the monitors and the activity. So that didn't freak me out at all. I remember just kind of waking up going, yeah, I think I've got some issues here.
Speaker 3: And did you find yourself as you started to? I mean, which is crazy because it's only two years ago. Really to be able to relearn. I just have to address that. Relearning how to walk and talk and create ate a whole new life from that point is a miracle and to itself. So when you think about who you were, if you do remember who you were before, now.
Speaker 2: Well it's funny. Memories are starting to come back. And they told me it would probably take about a decade before more and more memories kind of we're triggered. But one of the interesting things was, you know, my immediate focus was on relearning how to walk and talk, because those were two key things that I thought I should still be able to do. So I went under extensive physiotherapy and then speech therapy. The walking came back first. I was able to get the muscle memories to kick in. The speech was tougher. And when I was working with the speech therapist, he said to me one day, he said, you know, things are just not moving along as well as I had hoped. He said, do you think you could try writing words down? And you know, my brain was working. I knew what I wanted to say, I just couldn't say it. So I tried writing words, and you know, simple words first, like hungry, tired, you know those kinds of words, and they were actually the words that I wanted. So that was like a key discovery that I now could communicate with people via writing what I wanted to say. But it also helped rewire my brain. So as I did a little bit more every day, I started to realize that, okay, things were starting to make sense. And then we worked more on like phonics and going back to like you know, kindergarten where you're learning how to speak, and between the two things, I was able to get my speech back. As you can see, it's it's not too bad right now.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say it's pretty impeccable. I wouldn't at all.
Speaker 2: Well. I know, it's funny because there are days still to this day when I wake up in the morning and I have trouble with speech. So if I'm overtired, or if you know, something else is going on where I'm not feeling well, sometimes my brain just goes on vacation for a bit and I can't get the words out again, and then you know, it might be a day or two and then they're back. Every day's an adventure.
Speaker 3: Every day's an adventure. And then how did you end up meeting the people in your life. So you know, you didn't recognize your husband, how about your children, your friends?
Speaker 2: No, No, I played well, I didn't really play dumb because I was dumb. Really. They thought that I was responding to them normally, but I really didn't know who they were. So I remember my husband telling me about the kids, what their names were, where they live, because they're all adults now, and the fact that I had grandchildren, and you know, we started pulling out picture books and photographs and things and going through them, and you know, it took time for me to say, oh, yeah, that's Michelle, and oh yeah that's Craig, and you know, kind of working it through that way. But I still have a lot of memory loss. Perfect example, we went to a family wedding not too long ago and had a great time, and I remember looking at people going, I know you, but I don't know you. I recognize them, but I couldn't put a name to them. I couldn't put an occupation to them, or where I knew them from, or how I was related to them. But I just kind of played along like, oh, yeah, everything's fine. Well after the wedding, I realized I couldn't remember my own wedding. So then, you know, I kind of lost it and my husband, you know, took me in his arms and he started talking to me about our wedding twenty years ago and who was there and what I wore and where it was and you know, it's an odd experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was gonna say so when he you know, I actually my first question is did people recognize your personality or did everybody think, oh, this is a completely different person or something, or did they just meet you? And that it depends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it depends on who you talk to. Like, all of the family knew that I struggled, and they didn't emphasize that at all. The people who were, you know, not necessarily close to me, but who I had known at some point were just very you know, calming and sort of saying, oh, my name's so and so and this is what I do and here's how we're related. And that kind of helped. But it it makes you feel very vulnerable because you just feel lost. You feel really, really lost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would think also there's an element of you know, again, we spend so much of our lives becoming someone, and I wonder how many of the masks fall off than just naturally, and you end up being an essence of yourself. I don't know if that was your experience, but I think, like what is left over? What's the part if you believe in a soul or an essence within you that's continual, and what part of you is personality? You know, that's part part of the brain, And what part of you is is you now?
Speaker 2: People tell me that my personality has changed a little bit somewhat is the terms that they use. They don't specify how my personality has changed, but I know that I'm different, mainly because I can't remember who I was before. So when I was lying in bed in the hospital recovering, I remember thinking, well, okay, yes, I have a problem here. I don't have my memories and I'm not able to speak at the time, so I thought I can't go back, so I can only go forward. And I was so grateful for being alive because the surgery that I have was quite critical and dangerous, and you know, I had talked with the doctors. They fully expected me to die as well. In fact, it took a while to find a neurosurgeon who was willing to give it a go. Because surgeons, especially in Canada, you know, they live and die by statistics, so they don't want people passing away on their operating table, right because it makes them look bad or incompetent. With brain tumors, real estate is everything, and mine was just in a really bad spot. It was strangling some arteries, so the likelihood things could go very wrong was quite apparent. And so, you know, even going into the surgery, I had those chats with the family and I told them, you know, nurses know too much, and I told them that I fully expected not to survive. And I did all the things you do, like, you know, prep for your funeral and write your obituary and all those kinds of things that you don't really think about, but I did, and you know, I think that prepared me for the surgery. So when the surgery day came, I was ready to go. It was like now or never kind of thing, because if we didn't do the surgery, I was sure to die. So this was a glimpse of hope. And when I woke up, even with my challenges, I was just so grateful for being alive that I thought, okay, well, clearly I've been given a second chance. So I've got a blank slate, so instead of really mourning my old self, I just thought, Okay, this is a this is time to just reinvent and go forward.
Speaker 3: Amazing. So how did your husband meet this new woman that would eventually.
Speaker 2: Show Well, you know, he I think he's had it worse than I have had it because in many ways, you know, he's still living in the past with the old me. So when you talk to him about it, you know, he don't say a lot because he's a guy. But when I do get him to chat a bit, you know, he'll say, I kind of wish I had the old Jenny back because I'm still struggling to figure out the new Jenny. And I am too, And he's got thirty years of memories and I have very very limited ones. So you know, he'll say to me, do you remember doing this? No? Do you remember so No? So you know, all you can do is is get help, And you know, we kind of there was a point where we had a conversation, is it time to go our separate ways? Because we're different people. I'm a different person now and we're more like roommates than we are a married couple. So we laugh about it now that you know, after twenty years of marriage, we're dating again because we're trying to reinvent new memories going forward as opposed to working with what we had in the past.
Speaker 3: That's really beautiful that you can do that. That's so now you're I don't know, I think that's a without over romanticizing it, because I think there must be a lot of challenges along the way, having to meet somebody new and looking at your husband knowing he's your husband and he's a stranger, which waking up and having to reconnect and do it consciously. I think most people don't even think about doing in their relationships. So in a strange way, from the outside, it looks like, wow, you actually get this opportunity to reinvent, reignite if it's meant.
Speaker 2: To be well exactly, you know, And as you said, people think, you know, oh, what a great thing you know that you can have like a you can have a new affair with your husband. Well, that's one way of looking at it, But when you're in the shoes of trying to do it's it's very daunting. It's you know, you feel lost, you feel vulnerable, you feel angry, you feel you question whether you're doing the right thing, but you know the fact that he's stuck with me through through it all and helped me. I mean, he was the one who made my meals and did my laundry for me for almost a year before I was able to pick those tasks up again. You know, I have to give him credit for that. A lot of people wouldn't have survived the marriage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he was very loyal. So what was it like coming and meeting your body again as a woman, just even feeling back into this strange body that you no longer remembered.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I find my emotions are different. I almost feel somewhat flat most of the time, almost like I don't really have you know, huge joy or huge sadness. I'm sort of in the middle, just kind of existing. And you know, I've been told that that's not uncommon with brain injuries and brain surgery. Because of where my tumor was, they kind of had to dig a little to get at it. And as a result, you know, brains don't like to be touched, they don't like air to be exposed to that, and it does you're never the same.
Speaker 3: There's a saying in.
Speaker 2: Neurosurgery that air to the brain, you're never the same, and that is so true. I find that I'm just different. It's hard to describe, but it's different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it sounds like you just have a little bit of removal from your emotions. How about the sensations in your body, the experience of being alive?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, like I said, I'm very grateful to be alive. Why try and live every day doing something positive. I think I've become much closer to my spiritual side and that I know that it wasn't just the doctors keeping me alive. I know that, you know, there was a bigger force there keeping me going and giving me really this opportunity to continue to serve, you know, when you think about it. I was a nurse for thirty three years, and in that time I obviously worked with a lot of people and help them get through crises, and once I became the patient, it was a very different, humbling experience. I used to think I would understand when people were on a ventilator and you know, couldn't do anything for themselves, and I used to talk to them as their nurse and caregiver, and then to be on the other side where I know I'm on a ventilator and I can hear voices of people talking to me and telling me what they're going to do, but not being able to do anything about it. It's shocking. It's really an insight, which I think you saw probably in the book. What I did was I took what I was experiencing and I put it into my character, so I was able to express my emotions through the character. So I think that was kind of a unique way to heal. But it helped.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was I wanted to say, it was obvious and knowing your story and then reading the book and looking into the character, we got a really good insight on what it must be like to not recognize and not know what it's like just relearning what it is to be in a body and not be what other people expect and trying to grasp onto the life that you sort of had. And like I said, two years is not a long time to have heard whatsoever. I mean, I'm looking at you not short of a miracle and just thinking about even being in a bed and you're saying, you know you're lying there helpless, you're strapped down because I guess you you know, I think a lot of patients want to pull out.
Speaker 2: Yeah you have that urge, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's one of my biggest nightmares, absolutely completely, And I was thinking, you know, it makes me think of a lot of coma patients, you know, as you can hear them, and that we take for granted that people know that there's that there's someone there, or that you can hear the voices even if you're not so you can hear the tones, and understanding that you also came from such a long time of being in the medical industry. Industry. I don't know how much of it is true, but I have a suspicion that there's a lot of true.
Speaker 1: Stories in there which we can go, oh god, yeah, you know what pilots go through, right, like, yes, exactly, I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure. You know, writing was something that really helped me wire my brain. I knew as a nurse that even though your brain cells don't regenerate, you can reroot traffic for lack of a better analogy, in your brain. So I deliberately took the effort to every day try writing something, even if it was just a couple of words, because that encouraged pathways to be built so that other parts of my brain could take over what I was missing. They tell you, they showed me images of I did have a stroke during the surgery, which is you know, which wasn't unexpected. It was a small one, which was a blessing, but it was just enough to annoy my speech center that it didn't want to play anymore. So I had to figure out a way to make that happen.
Speaker 3: I'm flabbering asked to buy your story. So my my mother's had a few strokes now, I mean she's got what we would call vascular dementia, and so it's really so watching her I'm going to say slowly to grade in factity to be her fully herself. But it's really been a slow journey and it's amazing to watch her kick into other parts of her brain. She's really really clever. And what it for me, what it teaches us, is that we have that capacity to reroot our just our experience, and that's without having any injuries or without having any I'm going to say, major events, somebody milling in our brains.
Speaker 2: Right right, Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Good, No, no, no, go on, I was just gonna.
Speaker 2: I was just going to tell you a little bit about the writing journey and how that helped in that when I realized I could write some words down, I kind of vacillated between being upright for twenty minutes and then sleep for another four hours. So in those times when I was kind of awake, I would practice doing things, and I started creating stories about kids in my brain. And I think it was because I couldn't remember my childhood particularly. I remember lying in bed thinking, yeah, I wonder what I was like as a kid, And so I kind of gave myself permission to go back to being a five year old again, and I said, Okay, I'm five. What would I be doing if I were five years old? And in my brain, I was thinking, Wow, I'd be creating adventures. I'd be creating imaginary friends. I'd be playing with my dog, I'd be skipping, I'd be reading. I'd be doing these things. And so I started crafting children's stories because they were short, they were simple, and I could remember them. And so on those twenty minute or half hour periods when I was awake, I would just jot down like an outline of a story, and so that's kind of how the process works. So I started with kids' stories just because they were simple and clear and didn't use big words, and it evolved into novels.
Speaker 3: And when so in your childhood, though, you came from quite a traumatic childhood, which you also don't remember, so I think it's really interesting then you started writing these children's books, and are they I have no idea what type of child's books they are, what kind of adventures they are, but it feels very much like it's a rewriting of the adventures that you may have wanted to have. Is that yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, So that was one thing I was thinking, you know, what would a kid be doing? And so, you know, you'd go to the zoo, you'd go to the fire hall, you'd go to the farmer's market, you know, things that we take for granted. But it helped me get on the computer and start exploring again. I actually had to learn about fruits and about and about aquariums and about farms because I was thinking, okay, what animals would be on a farm, and I couldn't come up with anything. So I go to my computer, I type in farm and of course all the animals came up, and as I looked at pictures, I had to figure out what I thought the animals were, and then i'd looked below to see what the caption was, and oh, yeah that is a horse, and oh yeah that is a cow. So that was kind of how I prompted my memories to come back.
Speaker 3: And when your memories came back as a child, were you surprised by them? Were you detached by them?
Speaker 2: Well? I had been told. My husband had sat me down and kind of we had walked through some of the things that had happened in my childhood, and as a result, I ended up putting some of them into the book. But I'm kind of detached from them, as in, it's like someone's telling me facts, but the facts don't mean anything to me. They don't elicit an emotional response from me. It's like, oh okay, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which I find is really interesting when you think of maybe you grieved it in your previous life, that there was more aggrieving going on there, because when I look at you today, there is even though you say, oh, you don't have like as much joy or as much bigger emotions. I see somebody that is filled with light.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel that that has come. I feel like it's starting to evolve more and more, and as I'm finding joy with writing and with just exploring that industry and learning something new and trying something new, that is joyful for me. And I'm in a position where, you know, I'm retired, I have a pension, my husband has a pension. We're secure financially. I don't need to worry about going out and getting a job. I can play, so I have that definite advantage of just being able to explore, try if if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, I'll go try something else. But I'm having fun. So as long as I'm having fun, that's all I care about.
Speaker 3: And do you think that the old version if you were from your your husband or your children, because you are so curious as a person, do you think you were always curious as a person? I always love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I was, And I always enjoyed change. I always enjoyed adventure, and I certainly got it. So I think I was kind of hardwired right from the get go to to be empathetic, to try new things, to not be worried about boundaries, to just try new things.
Speaker 3: And in so one thing that I wanted to shift to a little bit was your experience as an earth and in healthcare, because I do think that there's there's huge problems, particularly in Canada. I don't know if it's unique to Canada. I certainly don't think it is. Uh, And how your care was in in the surgery, the most care and sad on and that you've been an advocate as well for long term care and your experience and that because I think there's a huge gap that happened there. Yeah, and we're not.
Speaker 2: Taking this absolutely, yeah, absolutely, And actually my second book is I put my character Abby into a long term care home and kind of create a thriller story around that some of the things that I saw as a director of nursing. But to write, healthcare worldwide really is in crisis. You know, nurses in some countries are not well respected and not well paid. And what people need to really understand is is the nurses really your gatekeeper to good healthcare. They're the ones who see and hear and act, and they're highly skilled, and they're knowledgeable, and they're empathetic and they look at the whole person versus a say a physician who you know, looks at a problem, identifies the problem, fixes the problem, and then you're gone. Whereas a nurse, she's looking at the whole person. You're emotional, you're spiritual, your family, you know, all of the other pieces that make up a human being. So when you become the patient, it's an interesting experience. I have to say, the staff where I was at my hospital were fabulous. They took good care of me, and you know, we have a well, what's the word I want see, here's one of my challenges in healthcare. We protect each other. So if you're a nurse and you're become a patient, you know, you're sort of looked after with a gold glove. And I remember as they were putting me out in the operating room under anesthesia, they were making me laugh and I just thought, oh, what a blessful thing that they were doing for me, because my last thing that I might remember forever was being you know, laughing and feeling content and okay in their hands. So that was a huge thing. But there's so many other challenges with healthcare, things like tight budgets and short supplies and you know, not having the tools that you need. Violence in the workplace is huge. I mean when I was a nurse, I used to get kicked and punched and bitten and things thrown at me and all kinds of things. But it's getting worse now. I mean, nurses are actually being killed in some cases where unhappy families are coming back for revenge. And you know, it's not it's not fair, and it's incredibly traumatic for people, and there's they've got to fix it. They really got to fix it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's something that I've noticed in healthcare is that there's often an understaffing and I just I didn't realize until your book of how much a nurse. I mean, I've always known that nurses do a lot, but just being able to monitor everything that's going on, it's, uh, it was eye opening. And and I would agree me just watching a lot of nurses get I know it from my own mother. She attacks people, right, so, I mean as part of her illness, and it's it's a real thing, and there aren't enough resources. And I think it's scary that we're not taking care of our elderly.
Speaker 2: You know, And and writing these books is giving me an opportunity to highlight some of the challenges in healthcare, Like you said, you know, just these processes people dementia, people don't understand what they're doing, and it's still the nurse who's their caregiver, who takes the breunt of it. And you know, it's it's just really unfortunate. And I think it's a way that I can highlight some of the challenges and make people aware of some of the things that could be fixed that just need to be brought to light. That there has to be discussion and interest in the public to make change. And when you start putting things out in print where people are reading them and going, gee, I wonder if that really happens, Well, that's it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't want to ruin any of it, but I'm just sitting there going, oh, yeah, it's like I said, it's like the pilot with there's things you just you don't want to know to know, Yeah, what happens, how the scalpel gets left in. I'm not saying that's not in the book, by the way, but I've heard of it, right, I've heard of yeah, you know, people getting there there their organs sewn in and so on. So I think that's one of the highlights of just reading how much nurses do and how much and you had so much understanding around it. So and then moving into writing, which now you're bringing it into the story in so, I just want to bring in your experience again of be coming back alive into your body. Yeah, you know, you spent your life caring for other people. What was it like then being on the opposite, the opposite side of people coming and caring for you, caring for you? See I can't speak either.
Speaker 2: Oh that's okay. Well, in some ways it was really annoying, you know. So perfect example. So I'm in a too bad room because the hospital that I was in didn't have private rooms, and I think everybody who has brain surgery should have a private room just so you could turn off the lights, close the door and be quiet. So I had a relative healthy roommate beside me who had lots of visitors, and they were very loud and boyish and joyful, and I was like, oh, please go away. My head was just exploding. And every time I felt like I went to sleep, I felt like I was being woken up every other minute to have procedures done, tests done, vitals done, dressings change, and it just felt like a never ending cycle of awake, a sleep, awake, asleep, and it was it was tough.
Speaker 3: I was like, I always feel bad for even just babies, right, they're just always yanking them every five minutes. Oh, you're just thinking like, please leave me alone, just let me sleep and be in peace.
Speaker 2: Exactly because you're just so tired and you just feel so unwell that you just really want to curl up under a blanket and just go to sleep and not wake up for quite a while.
Speaker 3: So then what changed in your relationship with let's say, just even touch and being touched.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, interestingly, I didn't really have any changes in that department. You know, everything felt the same. My biggest challenge was when my legs didn't want to do what I wanted them to do, and that was scary. So you know, you don't really think about walking, but there's probably about thirty different muscle groups that are used to walk a step, and I couldn't get my foot to go in the direction that I wanted it to go. So I was being man handled for lack of a better word, only because they needed to get me up and moving, and so I remember kind of being dragged or put the floor holding onto a walker, and I had a nurse on either side of me and my husband pulling the ivy pole behind me and just kind of being forced down the hall. So that didn't feel good because I couldn't do what I wanted to do, which was to walk. Another example, they took me to the sink to brush my teeth because I beat at a coma for four days and I'm sure I needed to brush my teeth. And they got me to the sink and I remember looking at the toothbrush and the toothpaste and thinking, okay, those probably are what I need to brush my teeth. And the therapist said to me, she said, okay, go ahead and brush your teeth. And I'm looking at her like what And she said, you know, pick up your toothbrush. And I'm thinking, okay, which one of these is the toothbrush? So I didn't do anything. So she picked up my toothbrush put it in my hand, which felt really awkward because it isn't normally how I hold my toothbrush. And then she said, okay, now put your toothpaste on. And again I picked up what I you know, the only other thing that was there, which was the toothpaste, but I couldn't figure out how to get the cap off. So even something as simple as brushing your teeth was like a major accomplishment. And you know, the five minutes that it took to brush my teeth felt like three hours. By the time I was done, I was absolutely exhausted.
Speaker 3: So how long did it take you then to go from because like I said, two years is not a long time to be able to be walking and talking to getting up and having control over your body and feeling into your body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the first month I was pretty much just doing straight physiotherapy, and I was able to get up and wander around with a walker after about a month on my own without falling over. Balance was an issue as well, So between the two things, I finally got that under control, and that was probably just related to the swelling going down in my head. Speech took longer. It took more like three months before I could really start to express And as I said, now that I I had a communication method, I felt a little better about not being able to speak. So I just had to work at it. In terms of self care, like taking a shower, that kind of thing, it was probably around the three month period when I wasn't falling over anymore and I was safe to be able to be in the shower by myself. So yeah, it was kind of along those timelines. And then once I started getting speech back and started to have some stamina in terms of staying awake longer than twenty minutes or half an hour, then I was able to get on the computer and play a little bit and figure out what I wanted to do and get some courses behind me and that kind of thing. So it was a slow process, but once I learned the art of writing from the courses that I took and I got the outline sort of navigated, then it kind of wrote itself fairly quickly.
Speaker 3: And were you doing it on the computer because I was just watching something recently talking about how handwriting lights up your entire brain, which really gets its work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I wrote out in long form the the outline, and then what I would do is I would take a chapter and I would start to type, and that helped as well. But there were you know, thank Heavens for spell check, because my words were all jumbled and the letters were in the wrong place. But you know, the computer helped sort that out. But yeah, that's kind of how it worked.
Speaker 3: Beautiful. Thank you. What do you think brought joy back into your life or what brought Yeah, what brought pleasure back into your life?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I was so determined to come out of this in a positive way that every day I worked at improving and trying new things. So once I realized that I could write, that brought me joy. It brought me a sense of accomplishment, and it brought me a sense that, Okay, things are going to be okay because you're making sense, you're moving forward. I don't know what it's going to look like yet, but I felt like I was accomplishing something and that brought a lot of self esteem back to me. I have to admit. I mean physically, I looked horrible. I had this massive scar over my head. I was bald. I have a hole in my head where my skull has been removed and they can't put back. So I'm deformed, for lack of a better word. So that's why my hair is the way it is. It covers the scars, it covers the hole. But I'm conscious now of what's important, so it doesn't really matter what you look like, it's more important that you find a purpose. And when I found a purpose, that brought me joy because, as I said before, you know, I want to find a way to serve. So my kids' books are in libraries and daycares and they're helping kids learn to read. My medical thrillers are entertaining, and it's giving me a way to highlight some issues that I think are important. So between the two, I feel like I've got a bit of a purpose now. And I share my story to share hope with people that if you're stuck in bad circumstances, they're temporary and you have the power to make change. And so, you know, I sort of say to people, look, if I could go from a coma to a best selling author, you can get whatever it is you need to chasege done. You just have to kind of have a path. I had support from my friends, my family, my church, and you know, I just one foot in front of the other day by day.
Speaker 3: And how about your children, So what is your relationship like with your children these days?
Speaker 2: Well, it's different. You know, It's not like I'm their mother and they're my kids. It's more like we're friends and coexisting adults. Perfect example, my son came for dinner not too long ago, and of course I served dinner and he looks at me. He goes, Mom, I don't eat this, and it was like, oh yeah, like I totally forgot. So you got to write me a list of what you'll eat, what you won't to eat, so that I can remember because I always forget what he doesn't like. It's so funny.
Speaker 3: So that must be pretty hard on them to have a mom that is not Yeah, that is not the same person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think it is. I think it is, but I try. As I said to them, I said, you know, we're just gonna have to make new memories. Just pretend like you know, I've parachuted in and we're just gonna have to go forward.
Speaker 3: I love that you have such a positive attitude where most people would cave in. Honestly, marriages would be disintegrating, and you walked into everything and just said, okay, let's go, let's try, let's let's forward, let's not get stuck in what's backwards. So these will be interesting questions for you to answer since they're coming from a very new place. Yes, my ten questions that I always asked, So, okay, it's interesting. Yeah, what is what is one truth your body has always known that your mind took years to catch up to.
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, I don't know. How's that for an answer? I guess that you know, as long as you're young at heart, bodies young, and as long as you stay active, you're active.
Speaker 3: Thank you. What is the most intimate moment you've ever had that had nothing to do with sex?
Speaker 2: I think just being grateful I was alive and just giving the universe gratitude for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and being reacquainted with yourself again. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: If you could be remembered for one sensation you gave someone, what would it be?
Speaker 2: I hope. Hope is the word that I give to people that as long as you're willing to try and put one foot in front of the other, you know you could accomplish anything. My physiotherapist said to me when I was having my rehab, She said, baby steps will take you all the way to the top of Mount Everest, just keep going.
Speaker 3: Thank you. If pleasure were a language, what would your first word be?
Speaker 2: Comfort?
Speaker 3: Yes? If your erotic life had a title like a novel or a film, what would it be called.
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, we're gonna have to think about that one.
Speaker 3: Shall we come back to it?
Speaker 2: Well? Keep it?
Speaker 3: Okay? What is one thing that you've never said out loud, or at least in your recent new life that you wish someone would.
Speaker 2: Ask you about what it's like to be in a coma.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was one of my questions. I was thinking, well, we might get there before we go if we have a moment. Okay, what part of your erotic self are you still afraid to bring to the light?
Speaker 2: My goodness, these are tough questions. I think experimenting with kissing again would be interesting.
Speaker 3: Kissing is an art, honestly, it's and it's edity. But I think we underray kissing about kissing.
Speaker 2: I think so too, right?
Speaker 3: What dies in you when you pretend? And what comes alive in you when you don't?
Speaker 2: It dies in me when I'm not truthful. I feel like a fraud, I guess. And what was the second part of the.
Speaker 3: Question, And what comes alive when you don't pretend?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think my my personality comes out when I don't pretend. I think I'm a bit of a risk taker.
Speaker 3: Perhaps, well, and this isn't a question I normally ask someone, but because of your experience, what is your favorite part about your personality?
Speaker 2: My willingness to try new things. I know a lot of people are really scared of change and feel very uncomfortable when they're kind of pushed into a corner and don't have a plan. I'm kind of the opposite. And maybe that's why I did okay with the surgery, is that, you know, my my options were limited, and I chose to want to try and survive, and so I took the risk that you know, the neurosurgeon who said yes, was going to do his best. But as I highlighted in the novel, sometimes that isn't always what happens.
Speaker 3: No it's not. But we like your neurosearch and I hope yes we do.
Speaker 2: I can't remember his name, but yes, I.
Speaker 3: Finish this sentence. When I leave this life, I want my skin to.
Speaker 2: Remember, Oh, a soft touch.
Speaker 3: Thank you. If the soul has a scent, what does your smell like today?
Speaker 2: So? M hm flowers, mhm, specific flowers or any flowers, just any flowers. I love flowers.
Speaker 3: And now we get to go back and circle back. If your erotic life had a title like a film or a novel what might.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness hidden Jenny Ooh.
Speaker 3: I love it and too funny. I would love to know what your experience was as being in a coma.
Speaker 2: Well, it was interesting. So as a nurse, I knew that they were going to be giving me specific drugs to deal with the trauma in my head. So I knew there were drugs to reduce this swelling. I knew there were drugs to kind of take away the anxiety and the fear. And I remember no fear at all. I remember specific voices. I remember being turned and realizing I was being turned, but not being able to help or to or to move. But I remember the feeling of being turned on my side and back again, which the nurses do right to keep you from getting bed sores. And the only other thing that I really remember is being cold all the time, because you know, they don't put heavy blankets on you when you're in that I see you because they're monitoring all the different things, and since they had to tie me down, I guess I was particularly bad at that. But you just have a light down on and it's not even tied behind your name, and you're just cold all the time. I Actually, when I woke up, I actually thought I might be dead because I was so cold. I thought, oh, maybe I am dead, you know. And I remember looking around thinking, no, no, no, I recognize this and this and this. So that's what it was like for me to be in a coma.
Speaker 3: So when you say you were looking around, you could see around you even though your eyes were closed.
Speaker 2: No, no, it wasn't until I woke up that I saw that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And do you remember dreaming?
Speaker 2: No, I don't not at all. I know some people have very different experiences, but no, not for me. And I didn't, you know, and I didn't visit the other side y as some people do. Like some people float. I've heard people talk about how they float above themselves. I don't remember that at all. I might have, but I don't remember it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you for that. I love you have such a spark in you, and I've just loved reading your books. I want to make sure I send everybody to your site, which is Jenny White dot Ca, to go and take a look at at your journey and the books. I believe you have two more coming. You have one of the publishers, one that you're writing, so you're a prolific writer now and I look forward to hearing more stories. And if there's any pearls of wisdom that you want to share with us before we leave today.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the main pearl of wisdom that I want to leave with people is possibilities. Is hope and possibilities that every day you're alive, you are in control, even though you may not feel like you're in control, and that the ability to change is possible and it doesn't have to be a dramatic change like what I went through, But you have the power to be in control of your own life and existence. And it's okay to ask for help, it's okay to explore. And I think as a society we need to challenge what we think is the norm. So, for example, people will look at me and go, oh, you're senior. You know you should be relaxed, you should have your feet up and begininning or something, and It's like, no, no, no, no, I'm not done yet. I've still got things to do. So you know, I'm challenging that myth of slowing down and being incapacitated. I have no plans for that at all. No.
Speaker 3: I love that you have a reinvention. Now, I'm going to say later in life, whether we call it golden ears, I'm not sure I like that term. But that's something that's always given me hope because when I was growing up, it was your life was done at I don't know, forty fifty whatever, it was, right, you were finished, go and go and pack it up. And now people are reinventing themselves and doing so many things and courting again, learning how to kiss again, learning to create like new hobbies and you know, for you creating new wire patterns. So thank you, thank you for sharing. Yes my pleasure, So everyone, thank you for joining us today. I will see you again next week and again if you want to read her latest book, The Triggering Scent, and you can also go to Jennywaite dot ca. A thank you and good night or good morning wherever you are.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Skin and Soul with me, Gwenham. Join me Fridays at ten ampst on Transformation Talk Radio.
Speaker 3: Catch the podcast.
Speaker 1: Anytime on your favorite platforms. You can follow me on Instagram at louvology. Ready to Take the Next Step book A compatibility call with me at Gwenhemcarsley dot com