Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have. This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 2: Let's not play one on Tom. Let's wind it.
Speaker 3: I love letting these guys after the show. So just thank you, give me are.
Speaker 4: Your attention, your fire and not a pisson.
Speaker 5: This is world champion, Dodger, world champion.
Speaker 6: Put a small soft.
Speaker 4: Time they get up people.
Speaker 6: What they want to.
Speaker 4: Die in a row two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache one of them. This ball's gone. You ready to go? Sure, Hell old time to the.
Speaker 5: Sound grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and go to the show. And now your host of Dodger Talk, Tim Kakes Clayton.
Speaker 7: Kershaw looking like vintage Clayton Kershaw as he is one step closer to three thousand strikeouts. Hi, everybody, and welcome to postgame Dodger Talk here on a five seventy LA Sports. The phone lines are wide open. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven to two five seventy.
Speaker 4: Jump on board.
Speaker 7: Let's talk from Dodger Baseball eight sixty six, nine eighty seven to two five seventy Dodgers salvage the finale of this three game series in Saint Louis with a seven to three win. They scored early, gave Clayton Kershaw elite to work with, and he was fantastic for five innings, one run, six hits, seven strikeouts, no walks, eighty two pitches fifty two for strikes. He got first pitch strikes on thirteen of the twenty one batters that he faced.
Speaker 4: He has now got two thousand, nine hundred and eighty three strikeouts in his Hall of Fame career.
Speaker 7: Wasn't a math major at UCLA, but I can tell you that is seventeen strikeouts away from three thousand in his career today, passing his former teammate Zach Grank for twentieth all time on the strikeout list. John Smoltz is the next guy in front of him. It's gonna be hard to catch Smoltze. He is ninety nine strikeouts away from John Smoltz. First things first, he's got to get to three thousand, which he is on track to do this season. But today, overall, his performance was fantastic. Five innings, the one run, the six hits that he scattered. He had a great third inning in which he came out with a one two three inning of Paris strikeouts. That's where he passed Zach Ranking to get into the twentieth spot all time.
Speaker 4: Had some traffic on.
Speaker 7: The bass pass in the fourth and fifth inning, give up a run with a two out double in the fifth to Mason win. But overall was very effective, and he was effective because he was able to get his austby pitches over for strikes and get swinging misses from the Saint Louis Cardinals. Today, you know, if there was ever an example in Major League Baseball for not having to throw one hundred miles an hour and v low and what what is a guy gonna do? How hard he can throw to get a past the guy and just go out there and chuck and be a thrower rather than a pitcher.
Speaker 4: Well we saw that for years.
Speaker 7: Greg Maddox the ultimate example of a sitting ninety one, ninety two, ninety three painting the quarters using your offspeed pitches, your change up to keep guys off balanced. Clayton Kershaw has evolved into the second half of his career as a different pitcher and today when everything working, it was fantastic to see. It was like an artist on the mound today. In Clayton Kershaw one time he threw ninety one and a half miles per hour, he was averaging eighty nine and a half.
Speaker 4: Miles per hour on his fastball.
Speaker 7: That was It wasn't pumping at past guys didn't have the v low, didn't have this spin raid. He just went out there and carved dudes up with his offspeed pitches. He had fifteen called strikes, twelve swinging strikes in this game. He was fantastic with his curveball and his slider. As they say, he had bite on his off speed pitches. He had that old Clayton Kershaw twelve to six curveball that was so vintage ten years ago that he got guys just to swing and miss with and punch them out. Today throwing eighty nine ninety miles an hour paint in the corners, and when you're throwing eighty nine to ninety it looks faster when you're throwing your offspeed pitches for strikes and you're getting swinging missus from pitches out of the strike zone. The Cardinals didn't do themselves any favors by swinging at pitches, lowing the strike zone out of the strike zone and helping out Clayton Kershaw. But his stuff was on point today for the Dodgers. And you heard him in the postgame. You heard Dave Roberts in the postgame, you heard Will Smith in the postgame with David Vasse on the field. All three of them said the same thing. The command was there, his off speed pitches were there, and when he pitches like it he did today five solid innings, gives up one run, scatters six hits, a little bit of traffic on the base pass, but he can get punch outs and swinging misses.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what the Dodgers need in this rotation.
Speaker 7: You can have your one hundred mile an hour chucker out there, you can take your ninety nine mile an hour thrower out there who get to give you three innings and just throw as hard as he can for as long as the arm's gonna last. I'll take Clayton Kershaw and an artist, a pitcher, a guy who can go out there and work hitters and give you five solid any day of the week. And that's what he gave the Dodgers today. And that's exactly what they needed, the bullpen came in. Lu Trevino gave up a run. Jack Dryer gave up a run. But how about the back end of the bullpen. This is what we thought when the Dodgers this offseason went out and acquired Tanner, Scott and Kirby Yates, that this back end the bullpen high leverage or leivers would look like. Now, certainly, Evan Phillips, we thought we'd be part of the pitcher But having Yates, Scott Kopek to pitch the final two and a third innings for you is basically how in my mind I thought the Dodgers back end the bullpen would look like from the seventh inning on or the eighth inning on.
Speaker 4: And today that's what we saw.
Speaker 7: Kirby Yates coming in getting the final out, Tanner Scott pitching the eighth, Michael Kopek needing nine pitches including a strikeout to get the final three outs of the game. That's how I envisioned this Dodgers' bullpen. And as we sit here on June the eighth, David June the eighth, finally we're seeing a healthy bullpen and these veteran high leverage relievers ready to go for the Dodgers, and you add in a Jack Dryer, an emerging Luke Trevino of ben Kisparius with an Alex Vesia look out, because this bullpen, this bullpen's now ready to go knock on wood. They can stay healthy and these arms can stay fresh and not be overused and taxed. This bullpen is ready and primed. Here on June the eighth, David, as they get ready to go into San Diego, And oh yeah, how fired up are you Dodger fans for this three game series against the Padres. Don't think that it doesn't mean anything, this three game series. It means a lot, because the Dodgers have a one game lead over the Padres and the Giants in the NL West. And to go into San Diego, get some separation, get to a three heck, to sweep a three game series would be tremendous. But to get a little separation, a little confidence, and just a little reminder to the guys in San Diego that the Dodgers are the best team in the NL West, that would be fantastic. This is a little reminder to guys like Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network and the Charger broadcast who will probably be at those games because he's a Padre season ticket holder. How big this series is gonna be. Yeah, I'll go ahead and say it. It's a rivalry. It has turned into a twenty first century rivalry. Sure, it doesn't have the history of New York and coming out West at the same time with the Giants, But this is a rivalry. This isn't the Diamondbacks who are trying to create a rivalry. Dodgers Padres, in my mind, is a current, present day rivalry. And they've played each other for many years in the Western Division of the National League, but with the emergence of what Manny Machado and Fernando Tatis Junior and the winning culture down in San Diego which they have built absolutely in Petco Park, and spending money in off seasons and all those off season trophies they have for winning the off season, which are just starting to collect, aren't they, Daniel Huh. The Dodgers and Padres is a fantastic rivalry in current day baseball, current day baseball, and I'm here for it because I can't wait for the next three days. And while the Dodgers go in with a healthy bullpen now and a roster that is pretty much healthy. Their starting rotation is anything but healthy going into San Diego with Tony Gonsolin now back on the injured list, it's Dustin May, TBD, and Justin Robleski pitching for the Dodge Now. Just a reminder for all those Padre fans when you look at who you've got set up, and thanks to DJ for sending me the three starting pitchers in this series, Nick Pavetta, Dylan Ceese, and Randy Vasquez Monday Tuesday Wednesday at Petco Park for the Padres.
Speaker 4: Oh, they set it up so Pavetta would start against the Dodgers.
Speaker 7: They set this up a week ago plus with their rotation, to set it up that their best three pitchers would be ready to go. And they're banged up as well their rotation, No you, Darvish, Michael.
Speaker 4: King is out.
Speaker 7: They're banged up as well. The Dodgers' rotations banged up. So it's equal footing in my mind going into this series as much as it can be. I guess with Dustin May, Justin Robleski and a TBD set to go for the Dodgers, you think about the Dodgers' rotation right now, three fifths of their starter are out.
Speaker 4: I just like to remind everybody of that.
Speaker 7: When you panic in the Dodgers lost two to three to the Saint Louis Cardinals, keep in mind Rokie, Sasaki, Tyler Glass Now, and Blake Snell are all hurt. Three fifth year rotation are hurt right now. You're relying on Justin Robleski, You're relying on Land and Knack, You're relying on bullpen games to get you through this. And a thirty seven year old Clayton Kershaw who shouldn't be one of your one to two starters in this rotation. He is a four or five starter in a healthy Dodgers rotation, and there's no shame in that for what he can then bring on the back end of a rotation when you have Snell, Sasaki, Yamamoto, Glass now all ahead of you. But as it is, the Dodgers banged up and they're relying on bullpens and guys who are taxing back and forth on Southwest airlines between LA in Oklahoma City. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the number. Let's get out to the phones. Thanks for being very patient. I appreciate that. Dodgers get the win on this Sunday, a seven to three victory over the Saint Louis Cardinals as Tommy Edmond drives in three. Dodgers get the victory and Clayton Kershaw well one step closer to punching his ticket to Cooper sound, Greg and Corona start things off here on this Sunday edition to Dodgers talk.
Speaker 4: How you doing, Greg?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 6: Case?
Speaker 8: You didn't leave much of us much for us to talk about.
Speaker 7: There's still some meat on that bone, Greg, There's still some meat there to get.
Speaker 8: Hey, And do you ever get a day off? Because I'm an avid AM five seventy listener and every time I turn on you're on.
Speaker 4: I do not take days off. Greg. If there was an eighth day, my wife would make me work it.
Speaker 8: Yep. I feel you, Hey, quickly, I'll try to run through this Kerseh. I'm so happy for him today, like this should have been his second win at least, and he's it's super cool. And what you said about I mean you were you were a ballplayer, you know, I mean, obviously Vlow is huge, but the great pictures when you were in the box, if you knew Vilo was coming, you're setting up for that and you're and that's what that's what you're concentrating on. But if you start, if you went up because a picture a picture like a like a like a glavin or those type of guys, you're it's it's it's a mystery. So and curtis figuring that out. He's he's transformed himself, which is amazing. Ye, and I hope he just continues to do that this year. And you know, however, many years beyond San Diego, I guess it is a rivalry. And credit to them, they finally made it a rivalry because they got the players and the team to do it, and their their fans are you know, all into it, and the the atmosphere and obviously San Diego is a beautiful, you know place, So it's it's become a rivalry in that sort. And they got the guys that back in Earth. So but I think I think we'll be fine. But I've actually call it in because the sustainability of the Dodgers, not just of the way things have been going, but I mean it's like they going it's it's a playoff atmosphere every single day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I was on once before this this season with Dave.
Speaker 8: He's stilling daughter talk at night. But and it's just it's these guys are it's it's a playoff. It's like a world series every night that they go into somewheer. It's just that they're on the road, yeah, everywhere, and they know that.
Speaker 4: Greg and I appreciate the phone call that they know that, and that's expected.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 7: You have got to target on your back when you're the defending champs in any sport.
Speaker 4: You add to that you're the Dodgers. You add to that even more.
Speaker 7: You're the Dodgers who spend a lot of money and go out and land all these big time free agents, including show Heyo Tani. That's a big target on your back. That's not just the defending champions target on your back. You've now got a huge bullseye on your back if you're the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: So whether you're playing host.
Speaker 7: To a team or you're on the road for three in Saint Louis or going back east to Miami, you've got a target on your back and teams are coming to hunt.
Speaker 4: They want to knock you off.
Speaker 7: They want to get to you and they want to be the team that wins the series and say, hey, we took two or three from the defending champs. We held Otani to one for fourteen. You know, we held Mookie Betts this weekend to one for the series in Saint Louis. That's what they want to be able to say, because those are wins for those kind of teams to their season.
Speaker 4: A quick update on Show Hey.
Speaker 7: Otani got hit on the left foot late in the game with a pitch appeared to be okay he is, and Dave Roberts said that Show Hey will go ahead and throw his simulated game in San.
Speaker 4: Diego on Tuesday on Tuesday.
Speaker 7: Now, he's not going to throw on Monday, but we'll throw on Tuesday his simulated a game he was scheduled to throw this weekend, but he will now throw that sim game at Petco Park on Tuesday, again a sim game for show Heyo Tani as he continues to build himself back up and get ready to return post All Star Break to the mound for the Dodgers, having already been an MVP at the plate now for a year and two months. That's go to Daryl and Palmdale checking in here on this Sunday afternoon after a Dodger win in San Louis.
Speaker 4: HOI you doing, Darryl.
Speaker 3: I'm doing good. Seeming like the Dodgers are doing better. They did exactly what they were supposed to do. It looked like the pigeon is coming together. Mostly they hit in Saint Louis. Bit they didn't get the timely yet, but they were hitting. Hitting. They got ten dicks, they got Russ today. But I liked what I saw. I really did. Mostly, like I say, the pitcheon get real good. They the Picchure had really coming along. And Harry, you know everything of a picky t you know, I feel good about him. Yeah, don't get the Dodgers.
Speaker 7: They know what to do, absolutely, dar David d it the other day that they're veteran club and they know what to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're gonna be okay, Daryl. I appreciate it.
Speaker 7: And they getting now held to Southern California to take on the Padres for the next three games. You mentioned the offense, Yeah, it's runners of scoring position. Those timely hits they just couldn't get the first two games against the Cardinals. It was one for twenty five in the first two games. With runners in scoring position, they out hit the Cardinals in the first game. They had nine hits equal to the Cardinals in Game two of this series yesterday and what turned out to be a really good pitching matchup and then a defensive miss queue and some good base running from the Cardinals and they walk off the Dodgers yesterday. Today, the Dodgers a much better job scoring early, taking advantage with runners on base to get those runs in and to deliver with runners in scoring position. They were three for fourteen today, a big hit from Tommy Evan twice, Hayes on Kim the two run triple. So yeah, a difference for the Dodgers today and what they didn't do the first two games delivering with runners on base. They had the opportunities. The Ducks were on the pawn, as the old saying was, the first two games, they just couldn't bring them in. But they did today and they got some really good pitching from Clayton Kershaw and the Dodgers get the victory. Now thirty nine and twenty seven on this season, as they remained one game up in the NL West over the San Diego Padres, who won earlier today the Giants in action and that game is that gone final calling as your Giants won the game, yep to call. The San Francisco Giants have beat in the Atlanta Braves four to three, so that is a final as well on this Sunday afternoon. So the Dodgers remained one game up in the Western Division of the National League. One game up on the Padres and the Giants. We'll take a time out, we'll come back, we'll get to more of your phone calls and wrap things up here on this Sunday edition of Dodger Talk. A good flight for the Dodgers now as they get ready to head back to the West Coast. A happy flight, as Dave robertsice to say. They'll pack up from Saint Louis head to San Diego as they'll take on the Padres for a three games series Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.
Speaker 4: By the way, what a week. It's gonna be. Three games against the Padres, and then the.
Speaker 7: Giants come to town Friday, Saturday and Sunday, followed by a four game series again against the Padres.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 4: Things heating up here in the wild wild NL.
Speaker 7: West Dodgers win today and say Louis seventy three victory over the Cardinals. Here on A five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio m.
Speaker 4: AM five seventy.
Speaker 6: LA Sports be anywhere at any time and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk all of those things. Search AM five seventy on the iHeartRadio app. We're streaming online. We stream every game too.
Speaker 4: Come find it.
Speaker 6: Back to Dodger Talk on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 8: Nice day in the booths today, good visitors here in recent innings, pomp In say hi, Bookie swings.
Speaker 4: He drives one deep to left. This ball's back and it is gone.
Speaker 6: That's a home run for Bets, and Mookie with his ninth home run of the season, gets a.
Speaker 4: Run back for the Dodgers. It is five to two.
Speaker 7: Mookie Betts with his solo home run and the seventh inning his ninth of the season. That was a big insurance run for the Dodgers to take a five to lead. They go on and beat the Cardinals today in Saint Louis seventy three. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast go to a five seventy LA sports dot Com keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card predicting the number of home runs in the game. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream Dodgers get the win in Saint Louis. They remain one game up over the Padres and the Giants in the NL West as they head to Petco Park Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for a three game series against the Padres. Dustin mate Nick Pavetta is the pitching matchup in the series opener tomorrow, first pitch at six four Showyotani will throw a SIM game on Tuesday before the game at Petco Park. And if in case you missed the injury news before the game today, Dave Roberts said that Tony Gonsolin's UCL in his right elbow is intact, so that is good Remember he had Tommy John surgery at the end of twenty twenty three. There's no damage and it is still intact, but Dave Roberts says it's gonna be a while before Tony Gonsolin starts to throw again, so that is good news. The UCL is intact, there's no need for Tommy John surgery for a second time for Tony Gonsolin, So go out. I got to the phones, Andy and Lake Elsinore. Thanks for waiting patiently here on a five seventy.
Speaker 4: How you doing Andy?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 1: Tim?
Speaker 2: I have three things to touch on. The first one is, you know, I know that we're only one game first place, but it's early and I love that we're, you know, just running a tight race because it's early in the season and I just think that if we were to be pulling away, it's just no competition and that just leaves as cold playoff time. The other thing is the pitching. You know, yeah, okay, so we need pitching. They're are coming back the ones we need. The relieving team is starting to get intacked. And then the last thing that I want to touch on is I honestly believe that it's time to put us on Kim on left field and take Conforto out. It's it's he he has a higher upside. What do you think?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon. I think they're gonna give the runway a little bit more run here for Michael Confordo especially in the left field spot. I Hayson Kim is going to be a center fielder in a second base, but I don't think left field is where they're going to start experimenting with him out there in left field where he's still learning center.
Speaker 4: Field on the go at the major league level. So I don't think that's a problem.
Speaker 7: So Michael Confordo is going to give a lot more runways we said, in left field, and we'll be playing when there's a right handed starting pitcher. When there's a left handed starting pitcher, he won't be in the lineup, and you'll see a different looking outfield arrangement for the Dodgers as they would face the Padres Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. It'll be all right headed pitchers Nick Poveta, Dilan Sees, and Randy Vasquez. Diane in Seemi Valley is next up here on Dodger Talk on AFI seventy.
Speaker 4: How you doing, Dan, Thank you for taking my call, Tim.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate the work you do, and I want to get back to what you were saying that the Dodgers have that, you know, that giant target on their back. You know, I follow a lot of sports and I see a lot of dynasties with a lot of hate going towards the winners, and we see it in our division of the AFC West. I am a Raiders fan like you are, and I hate the Chiefs and I always look forward to when the Raiders get a chance to beat them.
Speaker 3: And I think that's the way.
Speaker 1: The fans look at when their team faces the Dodgers. Their players play the best against the I mean I would, I would play my best against the greatest team of this decade. And uh and and to and to close out with that, I'm not worried about it. This is the Dodgers go through this kind of stuff almost every year. We go through these trials and tribulations, with our pitching staff, with our you know, some of our hitters not hitting, and our getting runs in when the traffics on the base, but we always pull through when it comes time for the postseason. I'm looking forward to our newest rivals of Padres and I'm looking forward to that series. And give a compass and and and just show how talented this and now West is because it is the toughest division to be in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt about it. Dan appreciate the phone call, Thanks for checking in.
Speaker 7: It is the best overall division, not just in the National League, but in baseball, and you can look at the records, you can look at the overall competition.
Speaker 4: It is really good.
Speaker 7: The Padres, the Giants all looking up at the Dodgers and the Arison, the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 4: It's interesting.
Speaker 7: Listen to MLB Radio earlier today with our buddy Jim Boden, and he was talking about it. The Diamondbacks. They're run with Corbyn Burns injury and the way they have not played well lately. They've lost three in a row, they've lost six of ten. If they continue this trend for the next few weeks, they're gonna become sellers at the trade deadline. And they've got Zach Gallen, They've got some other guys who are at the end of the year contracts that they're gonna look to deal here this offseason or at the trade deadline before the offseason. So it'll be interesting to see if they are sellers at the deadline because of where they're at.
Speaker 4: But it's starting to shape up right now.
Speaker 7: And what was a four team race in the NL West because the Rockies are terrible, it is now turned into a three team race in the NL West and three really good teams. And when you look at the overall pitcher I look at the Dodgers roster as a whole, what they have now, what's out there, what's coming back? And you have to look at the Dodgers and say, Wow, Blake Snell, Roki Sasaki, and Tyler Glass now all out there, all coming back at some point from the injured list, and you throw in a show, hey, Otani, They're gonna get four starting pitchers back from what they don't have right now, either.
Speaker 4: Before the All Star break or after the All Star break. That's four.
Speaker 7: Three proven starting pitchers and Roki Sasaki coming back to help out this Dodgers rotation, either before or after the All Star break.
Speaker 4: So that's something to keep in mind.
Speaker 7: Is how much better this Dodgers team is going to continue to get with that influx of starting pitching?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 6: Is he?
Speaker 4: We got to wrap things up real quick before we say goodbye?
Speaker 6: Is he?
Speaker 4: How you doing?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 9: Hey Kim? How are you? I'm good? I did it. I did one wait, kat least k two hours three, But I'll take it, I guess. But anyway, I'm looking forward with TV Candy Ago series. I thought, I I hate your card race the wor's THEE? What happens is this series?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Ah is good series. It's really I'm really looking forward with you and yeah, probably have their home pitching problem too, So what's the how it goes?
Speaker 7: It's gonna be fun three days, Azie. I appreciate it. Great to hear from you as always. Have a great rest of your Sunday afternoon. That's gonna do it for Dodger Talk here on a FI seventy LA Sports. Many thanks to Daniel West, Many thanks to Colin and Eye for all their help today. Hanging out with the guys has been a lot of fun as the Dodgers get the win makes even better as the Dodgers pick up a victory over the Cardinals seventy three Clayton Kershaw five innings, seven strikeouts. He gets his first win here in twenty twenty five, and with those seven strikeouts, he passes Zach Granky for twentieth on the all time strikeout list, and now Clayton Kershaw twenty nine and eighty three, he is seventeen strikeouts away from three thousand.
Speaker 4: Dodgers.
Speaker 6: Back at it.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow, let's go. It's the Padres.
Speaker 7: Been waiting for two months for the first meeting between the Dodgers and the Padres and a rematch of last year's NLDS. Dodgers heading to Petgo Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for a showdown against the Padres lt Moroco Casino Dodgers on Decade.
Speaker 4: It all started at five thirty.
Speaker 7: First pitch is at six forty by the Way one out of Way UCLA Baseball. The Boys are buzzing right now in Westwood as they lead UTSA seven to nothing in the ninth INNY one out of Way. John Savage and the Bruins from punching their ticket in the Super Regional and going to Omaha for the College Baseball World Series, have a great rest here.
Speaker 4: Sunday afternoon saw everybody results