Speaker 1: Welcome back to the deep dive. Today, we're jumping into something really essential, getting a handle on red Hat Enterprise Lenox nine rh A nine. We're basically mining the Enterprise Lenox nine Certification Study Guide, the RHGSA one from twenty twenty four for the absolute core stuff.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The mission really is to pull out those key ideas about RHGL nine administration, make it clear maybe even you know, engaging, avoid just drowning you in information.
Speaker 1: Yeah, think of it as a shortcut. We're not replacing the guide obviously, No, no, definitely not.
Speaker 2: But it's like a focused look at the must nose. So whether you're just kind of RHL curious or you're actually you know, needing to work with.
Speaker 1: It, right, we hope this helps you nail down those fundamentals and maybe you uncover a few surprising bits along the way. So useful. Okay, let's kick off part one, getting started setting things up, and then the command line itself. So groundwork first, hardware. Now, the actual RHCSA exam. It doesn't test hardware.
Speaker 2: Knowledge, but you need something to run it on, obviously, Exactly it.
Speaker 1: Has to be a six to four bit system. That's a must. And if you're using virtual machines for practice, which, let's be honest, is probably how most people learn this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, highly recommended.
Speaker 1: The guide suggests aiming for at least eight GB of RAM. That's if you want to run a couple of vms comfortably, right, like.
Speaker 2: A server and maybe a client, or just two practice machines.
Speaker 1: It mentions VMware workstation players specifically, which is a solid choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but KVM is another great one, especially if you're already comfortable in a Linux environment.
Speaker 1: They're just different ways to get that virtual sandbox set up, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and having that good practice setup is key. It just avoids a lot of frustration down the line if your base system can actually handle it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so installation itself. You've got your boot, media, DBD, maybe.
Speaker 2: USB, uh huh, the usual suspects.
Speaker 1: Then you hit partitioning. This is where you're dividing up your disc.
Speaker 2: Think of it like setting up drawers in a filing cabinet before you put files in. Create the partitions, assign mount points like the main slash for the root directory or home for user files exactly, and the way richil nine organizes files within those partitions. The default file system is excess. That gets the main focus in.
Speaker 1: The guide, right, So you set up your partitions, choose your software, and for learning, the guide points towards server with uy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That gives you both the command line and a graphical desktop, which can be handy when you're starting.
Speaker 1: You set the root passwords super important, that's the master key.
Speaker 2: Don't lose that, huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then there's a little initial setup after the first boot.
Speaker 2: Pretty straightforward stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're logged in now the command line that's where the action.
Speaker 2: Is pretty much, and the default language the shell you're talking to is.
Speaker 1: Bash, right BSh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: There are others like KSh, tcs ZISH, yeah, you might see them, but Bash is the default you'll find yourself in.
Speaker 1: You can have multiple command lines open these virtual consoles.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like having different text based screens. You can flip between them seatrawl alt F three, seatrawl alt f four, things like that. Each one can be a separate log in session.
Speaker 1: Handy. Okay, course skills finding your way around.
Speaker 2: First up PWD print working directory tells you where you are right now.
Speaker 1: And CD to move change directory.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and you need to get the difference between absolute paths. Starting from the root like a full.
Speaker 1: Address all major documents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and relative paths which are based on your current location, like go up one level CD, or go into this directory here's CD, durnet, we.
Speaker 1: Got it, and this path variable ah path.
Speaker 2: That's basically a list of directories the system checks whenever you just type of command name like l's or p doud. It's how it finds the program.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the tilled.
Speaker 2: Oh, the tildy that's just a shortcut always takes you back to your own home directory. Super useful.
Speaker 1: Nice okay. Dealing with files and directories.
Speaker 2: Listing them l's that's your basic listing command, but the real power is in the options like.
Speaker 1: Aero for the long listing, shows missions, size, date, right.
Speaker 2: And a to see all files, including the hidden ones that start with a dot. Then you've got at to sort by time. It shows the inn number like a unique id for the file on the disc. R R reverses the sort order, and MSR capital r that lists everything recursively like all the subdirectories too.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, so l's is pretty powerful.
Speaker 2: Definitely worth learning those options. Creating directories mm deer make directory and the optic option is great. It creates parent directories if they don't already exist. So mm ear MmpD one, deer two, deer three works even if deer one and deer two aren't there yet.
Speaker 1: Saves time and empty files.
Speaker 2: Touch just touch file name, or you can update the timestamp of an existing file.
Speaker 1: With it too. Okay, Copying, moving, removing.
Speaker 2: CP for copy, MV for move, which also renames files by the way, and RM for remove.
Speaker 1: And this is the one to be careful with, right, No.
Speaker 2: Trash bin exactly. Once you arm something, it's generally gone. So yeah, double check before you hit enter.
Speaker 1: Good advice. What about links? Hard link soft links?
Speaker 2: Right, So MMn file name link name creates a hard link. Think of it as two directory entries pointing to the exact same data block on the disc. If you delete one name, the data is still there under the other name. Soft links or symbolic links are made with LNNSS. That's more like a shortcut. It just points to the name of the original file. If the original file moves or gets deleted, the soft link breaks.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. So hard links point to the data. Soft links point to the name.
Speaker 2: Pretty much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, permissions, This looks important.
Speaker 2: Chwud very important schmad changes the mode the permissions. You can use numbers like schmod six forty file.
Speaker 1: Six four zero. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: It's octal. Each number represents permissions for user, group and others. Six is read and write, four plus two four is read only. Zero is no permissions.
Speaker 1: Ah. Okay, r as four w is two.
Speaker 2: X is one exactly. Or you can use the symbolic mode you gore x like schmod g plus w file adds right permission for the group g com for user G group oh others.
Speaker 1: Okay, that seems more intuitive, Maybe it can be.
Speaker 2: The guide also mentions special dits sgid G plus s on a director means new files created inside it get the directory's group, not the user's primary group, and the sticky bit O plus T on a shared directory like tm tem it means only the owner of a file can delete it, even if others have right permission to the directory.
Speaker 1: Ah. Useful for shared spaces.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then chound changes the owner th hg RP changes the group pretty straightforward, and the ooh mask that sets the default permissions. When you create a new file or directory, the system starts with full permissions and then subtracts whatever the mask specifies, so it controls how things are created initially.
Speaker 1: Okay, kind of like a template for new file permissions sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it masks off permissions.
Speaker 1: Then chatter file attributes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another layer chatter. Let's you say, attributes like immutable plus I. If a file is immutable, nobody can change or delete it, not even root.
Speaker 1: Seriously, not even root.
Speaker 2: Nope, you have to remove the immutable flag first. With chat r, there's also a pend only plus a where you can add to the end of a file but can't delete or change existing content.
Speaker 1: Interesting, okay. Working with text dot redirection super useful.
Speaker 2: The greater then sign redirects output to a file overwriting it double greater than a pens to the file. Less then feeds a file as input to a command, and the pipe sends the output of one command directly as input to.
Speaker 1: The next, Say chaining commands together.
Speaker 2: Exactly and two redirects error messages.
Speaker 1: Specifically, good to know searching text dot rep rep.
Speaker 2: Is your best friend for searching dot GP pattern file name, and it gets really powerful with regular expressions. Those special characters like dot for any character, square brackets for set of characters, question mark plus plus star for matching repetitions.
Speaker 1: Let's you do really complex pattern matching.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and if you just need to compare two files, see what's different, use diff.
Speaker 1: Defall one file two simple enough YEP editing files. Okay, VI, this one has a reputation.
Speaker 2: It does, it's powerful, it's everywhere. But yeah, it had a learning curve. The key is understanding its modes, especially command mode.
Speaker 1: Right, we're not typing text directly exactly.
Speaker 2: You use keys like to search forward, to search backward right, followed by commands like W to wright, save, q to quit, or to buq to save and quit.
Speaker 1: Okay. And these special versions VBO, VG pseudo.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, those are wrappers around V, specifically for editing critical system files like et cetubas, food, et cetera, group and etcetera. Pseudos they add safeguards like file locking to prevent multiple people editing at once or messing things up too badly. Definitely use those when editing those specific files. But if V is just too much at first, well, you can actually change your default editor. You set the editor environment variable and the guide mentions NANO, which is much simpler and more like a standard notepad style editor, and you at the bottom pretty intuitive.
Speaker 1: Good alternative to know about definitely. Lastly, for this section, getting help documentation crucial.
Speaker 2: Man pages are the first stop man command name read the manual.
Speaker 1: People always say that.
Speaker 2: Because it's true, especially check the example section at the end of many men pages. Super helpful.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is an apropos?
Speaker 2: What shared as gives you just a quick one line summary of what a command does. Apropos keyword searches those summaries, so if you can't remember the command name but know what it does, apropos can help you find it.
Speaker 3: Nice and infodocs oser doc Info is another documentation system, sometimes more detailed than man pages, but maybe less used now and yeah, asha doc often has rehabiens examples, extra docs provided by the software package itself always worth a look.
Speaker 2: If you're stuck.
Speaker 1: Lots of places to find help, then for sure. Okay, let's shift gears part two, Managing the system itself. Starting with software right.
Speaker 2: So RHL uses RPM packages. That's the underlying format, But the main tool you'll use to install, update remove software is DNF.
Speaker 1: DNF okay you replace YM right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. DNF is the modern version. It talks to repositories basically online collections of software packages. These are configured in files under ETCM, DOT Repo, dot D and.
Speaker 1: Red Hat subscription management.
Speaker 2: That's how your system proves it's allowed to access the official red Hat repositories and get updates in software. And DNF handles dependencies automatically.
Speaker 1: Meaning if you install program A and needs library B to work, DNF figures that out and installs library B too exactly.
Speaker 2: Saves a ton of.
Speaker 1: Hassle so common DNF commands.
Speaker 2: DNF List shows available or installed packages. DNF install package name, DNF update updates everything or just one package. DNF remove package.
Speaker 1: Name, okay, install update, remove what else.
Speaker 2: DNF info package name gives you details about a package. DNF repolist shows you which repositories your system is actually using, and DNF provides file name as useful, it tells you which package owns a specific file like a SERB and.
Speaker 1: Mash ah handy for tracking things down.
Speaker 2: And While DNF is the main tool, you can sometimes interact with RPM files.
Speaker 1: Directly using the RPM command.
Speaker 2: Right rpmdshis package dot RPM installs a specific RPM file, I install viver bose h hash marks for progress. RPM dosh qa lists all installed packages, rpmdsh QL package name lists all the files inside and installed package okay, and RPM dash K package dot RPM verifies the package's digital signature using gpgkeys usually stored in et cetera, KERPM, DOUSHDPG to make sure it's legitimate and hasn't been tampered with.
Speaker 1: Security check good. What about module streams ah modules?
Speaker 2: There a way? Our HL offers different versions of software like maybe Python three point nine and Python three point one one on the same system without conflicts. You can use DNF module list and DNF module infotasy what's available? Okay.
Speaker 1: It provides flexibility exactly right. System startup the boot process. How does that work?
Speaker 2: It's a sequence. First, the bios or UA five firmware initializes the hardware. Then and it hands off to the bootloader.
Speaker 1: Which is GRB two and RHL nine correct.
Speaker 2: GRB two then loads the Linux kernel into memory. The kernel starts up, mounts a temporary initial filesystem called the INNA tramps, and finally the kernel starts the very first real process, which is systemed. System gets process ID one and it takes over managing the rest of the system.
Speaker 1: Startup system does the big boss.
Speaker 2: Then pretty much the conductor, As the guide.
Speaker 1: Says, what about GRB two itself? Anything we need to know?
Speaker 2: You'll see its menu at boot. You can choose different kernels if you have them. Pressing E lets you temporarily edit the kernel boot parameters useful for troubleshooting. Sometimes its main config file is etc default grub a key setting. There is jur rub time out how long the menu waits before booting the default entry?
Speaker 1: Right. So, systemed you said it manages everything.
Speaker 2: It manages services, devices, mount points, almost everything using units. These are just configuration files telling a system to how to manage something.
Speaker 1: Where are these unit files?
Speaker 2: System Wide defaults are in e U solob systemed system and your customizations or locally installed ones go in its systems system Targets. Targets are special units that group other units. Think of them like run levels in the old days. Multi user dot target is your typical command line server state. Graphical dot target adds the graphical desktop on top of that.
Speaker 1: How do you control these units and.
Speaker 2: Targets with the system's statle command?
Speaker 1: It's central, okay, What can I do?
Speaker 2: System statle start service name stop, restart, reload to reread config without a full restart status to see if it's running and get recent logs.
Speaker 1: Basic service control Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then system tell'll enable service name makes it start automatically at boot disabled, stops that is enabled, checks the current setting, and list units shows everything system is currently managing.
Speaker 1: Can you change the default state like boot to command line instead of graphical Yep.
Speaker 2: You can set the default target using system teleset default.
Speaker 1: Okay, what if things go wrong during boot? How do you see messages journal?
Speaker 2: Telll that's the command to view the system journal, which collects logs from pretty much everywhere.
Speaker 1: So system lugs are centralized now largely.
Speaker 2: Yes, And for troubleshooting, you can manually boot to a specific target by adding like system d dot unit multi user dot target to the kernel line in grub. Okay, and there's dart dot break. You can add two, which interrupts the boot process very early, drops you into a shell. Useful for things like receiving a lost root password. Power for stuff can be a lifesaver. Oh and interestingly, commands like shut down, reboot, halt they're mostly just links pointing back to system.
Speaker 1: Techle Now, system really took over?
Speaker 2: It really did. And for time management, time detectal shows and sets the system time and time zone, and cronid is the service that sinks your clock over the network using NTP.
Speaker 1: Got it? Okay? Users in groups.
Speaker 2: Right, You generally don't want to be logged in as route all the time, bad practice. So you create regular user accounts.
Speaker 1: Where is user info store?
Speaker 2: It's mainly in Etcetera's user info etc. Shadow, Secure password info, etc. Group info and etcetera Shadow secure group info. Defaults for new users come from at clog in dot DEFs.
Speaker 1: And the commands to manage them.
Speaker 2: User AD creates a user, User MOD modifies an existing user. You can use options like EDES to change their shell AOD for home directory, DAD them to supplementary groups. User at deletes a user. Use ther option with user del to remove their.
Speaker 1: Home directory too important detail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Password username changes the user's password. You can also use password batstin to pipe a password in maybe from a script. Password atch l username locks an account, you unlocks it ato E sets and expiration date.
Speaker 1: Lots of control their end groups plant.
Speaker 2: Group, AD, group, mod, group del. Simple enough. Users have one primary group but can be members of many supplementary groups. That's all defined in et cetera.
Speaker 1: Group. Okay, what about getting root privileges when you need them.
Speaker 2: Well, they're sue switch user. You can sue to become root if you know the root password. But the more common and generally better way.
Speaker 1: Is pseudo right super rousers do Yeah.
Speaker 2: It lets specific users run specific commands as route without needing the root password. It's configured in et ceter Suitors use the pseudo command to edit this safely, or by adding files in et cetera suters dot and.
Speaker 1: You can grant permissions to groups like the Wheel group exactly.
Speaker 2: Often admins are just added to the Wheel group and that group is given pseudo access in the configuration. You can also allow passwordless pseudo for certain commands with the no pay SSWD tag okay.
Speaker 1: Flexible user environment files like Bash RCI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those control your shell environment, et Cetera profile and etceterashard are system wide. Then each user has their own Bash profile for login shells and augershar for interactive shells. There's also etceeter profile dot d, which contains scripts run at log in good place for system wide customizations.
Speaker 1: Setting aliases, environment variables, that kind of thing exactly, okay, storty deep dive partitions again.
Speaker 2: Tools you've got f disc, which is older works well for MBR discs. Then gie disc is for modern GPT partition discs, and parted is another powerful tool works with Both can be used interactively or scripted.
Speaker 1: What can you do with them?
Speaker 2: The basics Print the partition table, P create new partitions and delete them D change the partition type to use LDC the type codes like a E for Linux, LBM eighty two for swap, write changes to disc w or quit without saving Q.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned needing to tell the kernel about changes.
Speaker 2: Yes, crucial step after using f disc or g disc or parted to change partitions on a disc that's in use, the kunnel might not see the changes. Immediately, run part probe to ask the kernel to reread the partition table or just reboot.
Speaker 1: Okay, reboot, got it. Formatting.
Speaker 2: Once you have a partition, you need a filesystem. Use mkfs, mkfs dot, XFS dev's day one formats that partition with XFS or mkfs dot, ext fours dB two for.
Speaker 1: EXT four and mounting making it usable.
Speaker 2: Right, you mount the filesystem onto a directory a mount point. For permanent mounts that happen at boot, you can figure them in etcetera.
Speaker 1: Snet what's in there?
Speaker 2: Each line defines a mount the device, often by UUID, the mount point directory, the filesystem type like x SpaceX to four, NFS mount options, and then two numbers for backup dump and filesystem check.
Speaker 1: Order pass okay, and you find the UIDs with ball kid.
Speaker 2: Great command shows uoids and filesystem types for all your block devices. Using UIDs and haf STAB is better than device names like devs to one because the device names can sometimes change, but uaeds don't.
Speaker 1: Good. Tip and manual mounting.
Speaker 2: Mount device, mount point and mount mountpoint or device simple okay.
Speaker 1: Now, LVM Logical Volume Manager sounds complicated.
Speaker 2: It adds a layer, but it's incredibly flexible. The ideas you take your physical desks or petitions and designate them as physical volumes or pvs using PV create IPS. Then you group one or more pvs together into a volume group or VG using VG create. Think of the VG as a pool of storage.
Speaker 1: Space coolest space. Got it.
Speaker 2: Finally, you carve out logical volumes or lvs from that v G pool using lv create. These lvs are what you actually format with a filesystem MKFS, dot XSS, div, MYVGMLLV and.
Speaker 1: Mount O so PV MIDG MELV miile V filesystem exactly.
Speaker 2: You've got commands to display and manage each layer PB display, VV, display V display VJE extend at PV to VG, lvextend grow in LV, and the big benefit is resizing. You can add another desk, make it a PV, add it to the VG with VEG extend, and then grow an existing LV within that VG using lvextend. After extending the LV, you just need to resize the filesystem inside it.
Speaker 1: How do you do that?
Speaker 2: For XFS, it's XFS growths mount point. For x four it's re sized two SVGLV. You can often do this online without unmounting. That's huge flexibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds real useful. What's the autom mount ad off.
Speaker 2: It's a service that automatically mounts filesystems, often network shares like NFS, only when someone tries to access them and unmounts them after a period of inactivity. Configured it in at COUTO, dot master and related files.
Speaker 1: Okay, handy for on demand access YEP networking time basics.
Speaker 2: First, it addresses your systems address subnetmasks, defining the network size, often in CIDR like twenty four and the default gateway the router to reach other networks standard.
Speaker 1: Stuff, and the main command now is IP.
Speaker 2: Yes, the IP command is the modern tool. IP address show replaces if configure that IP route show replaces Route I, neighbor replaces ARP. It does a lot, so learn IP definitely. You'll still use ping to test connectivity, trace route to see the path packets take, and hostnamechial to view or set the system's host name.
Speaker 1: Where network settings stored.
Speaker 2: RHBL nine uses Network Manager heavily. Connection profiles are stored as files in Acceta Network Manager System connections.
Speaker 1: How do you configure Network Manager several ways?
Speaker 2: NMTI is the command line tool very powerful. Nmto me gives you a text based menu interface simpler for some tasks, and if you have a GUI, there's NM connection editor.
Speaker 1: Choose your weapon.
Speaker 2: DNS configued usually handled by Network Manager too, but the resulting DNS server list ends up in ecresol dot com. You can test DNS lookups with tools like dig or hosts.
Speaker 1: Okay, secure remote access, SSH.
Speaker 2: Absolutely essential s s username at host name, connects you securely, SEP securely copies files, sepfil user at host dot path and SFTP gives you an interactive secure FTP like session.
Speaker 1: Secure alternatives to older tools like telnet and FTP exactly.
Speaker 2: Don't use those anymore if you can avoid it. Firewall RHTL uses Fireworld by default. It uses zones like public, internal DMZ to apply different levels of trust and rules, and it manages access using pre defined services like HTTP, SEEPR specific port numbers.
Speaker 1: How do you troll it?
Speaker 2: Check status with system s system status Fireworld check if enabled with system is enabled fireworld. The main command is firewall cmd.
Speaker 1: What can firewall cmd do?
Speaker 2: Lots AD service remove servicesh AD port ADYADATCP remove port ADADTCP. Use permanent to make changes stick after a reboot, but then you need reload to apply them to the running canfig list all shows the current rules.
Speaker 1: For his zone. There's a guy too, yeah, firewall can fig okay and making assets even more secure with.
Speaker 2: Keys highly recommended. Generate a keypair on your client machine with shosh keygen, then copy the public key IDRSA dot pub or similar to the server using a shock of eyed user at host.
Speaker 1: What does spage copid do?
Speaker 2: It automatically appends your public key to the sumprovised keys file in the user's home directory on the server. Once that's done, you can staution from your client without needing a password because it verifies using your private key much more secure.
Speaker 1: Definitely sounds better than passwords. It is all right, broader security topic.
Speaker 2: Sell Linux Security Enhanced Linux. It's a mandatory access control MAC system standard Linux permissions should I or not are discretionary access control DAC. The user owns the file, they decide permissions. SELinux adds another layer where policy decides what's allowed, regardless of ownership.
Speaker 1: How does it work modes?
Speaker 2: It runs in one of three modes. Enforcing actively blocks violations, permissive logs violations, but doesn't block or disabled off completely. You check with get and force change temporarily with set and force zero, permissive or set and force one. Enforcing permanent change is in ETCeteras configure.
Speaker 1: Okay, what does it actually control? Contexts?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Everything, files, processes, ports, gets, and SELinux security context It's like a labeled user, dot role, dot type That level policy rules say things like a process with the HTPDT type context can only write to files with the HTPPD size content type context.
Speaker 1: So it restricts what processes can do even if running is root.
Speaker 2: Especially if running is root or if a service gets compromised. You manage file contexts with some manage f context to set defaults and restore senecon to apply those defaults. J con changes a context manually for a specific file, but that might not survive.
Speaker 1: A relabel okay and boollians.
Speaker 2: Celinicx buollions are like on off switches for specific policies like allow hggpd to connect to the network. Use getspool a to list them and sets the boolean name on or sets po bully name off to change them. Use jash p with setspool to make the change persistent across reboots.
Speaker 1: How do you troubleshoot Selenix issues?
Speaker 2: Check the audit log usually var logatitatt it dot log. The audit service lawns denials. The sealer tool part of set tools can analyze these logs and often suggest restore con or sets bool commands to fix the issue.
Speaker 1: So first claub odd, then Selenics on top.
Speaker 2: That's the idea. Layers of security.
Speaker 1: Managing resources processes.
Speaker 2: This is the classic command. Pso shows all processes in detail. Ps axle shows even more. P s e Z is useful to see the Sylenux context of processes, and TOP gives you that. Real time interactive view shows cpu usage, memory, running processes. Let's you sort kill processes.
Speaker 1: Right there, very hand delid processes.
Speaker 2: Kill pid sends a signal, usually sigterm terminate politely by default kill naff nine pid sends sigkill force kill uses last resort, kill process name kills all processes with that name.
Speaker 1: Signal SIGTERMI yeah.
Speaker 2: Sig up often tells a demon to reload its configuration. Sigin is what cool plus c sends. Sigteruramasks nicely sick kill forces it.
Speaker 1: Controlling priority nice re nice.
Speaker 2: Nice starts to command with a specific scheduling priority. Higher number means lower priority, more nice to others. Re nice changes the priority of an already running process. Okay.
Speaker 1: Monitoring over time.
Speaker 2: The system package provides SAR, System Activity Reporter and IOSTAT. SAR collects historical data on CPU memory, IO, network, et cetera. IOSTAT focuses on disc iostats great for tracking performance.
Speaker 1: Trends, scheduling future tasks. Contron yep chron.
Speaker 2: Is for recurring tasks users edit their own schedules with crontab. The format specifies minute, our day of month, month, day of week, and then.
Speaker 1: The command system wide chron jobs.
Speaker 2: Those go in at cedacron or as separate files and etceteracron dot D. There are also directories like etcetercron dot hourly, etceteracron dot daily, et cetera, where you just drop scripts you want run at those intervals.
Speaker 1: Simple enough. What about one off tasks.
Speaker 2: At schedules A command to run once at a specific time, like at ten thirty pm tomorrow. You type the commands press crash all plus d at Q list pending jobs at scheckblurm removes them.
Speaker 1: Handy for delayed tasks. Yeah. Basic scripting BASH scripts.
Speaker 2: Super common for automation. Starts with the shebang line hashtag dot bin. Bash use variables, command, substitution, command, or backticks to capture output control structures like if conditioned then and down fire or four I in list at ton testing conditions with test or ton right, and scripts can take arguments one two dollars, et cetera. The exit command sets the exit status zero usually means success.
Speaker 1: Logging where do messages go?
Speaker 2: Traditionally cislog handles it config and as she can. Ra sizelog dot com defines rules based on facility like kernel mail, user and priority info warning error to send messages to files, usually under varlog like varlog messages varlog secure.
Speaker 1: But systems has its own journal yes.
Speaker 2: And journal lichells the tool to read it. It captures syslog messages plus output from services managed by system. By default, it might only store logs in memory, but you can configure you're persistent logging to varlog journal.
Speaker 1: So check both varlog files and journal ductel good idea. Yeah. Finally, containers big topic now huge.
Speaker 2: The guide gives an intro. Containers are like lightweight isolated environments for apps. They share the host OS kernel, unlike vms, which emulate whole hardware stacks.
Speaker 1: So they're faster, use fewer resources.
Speaker 2: Generally yes, much faster startup, lower overhead. Great for developers packaging apps and dependencies, and for operations deploying them consistently drives DevOps well.
Speaker 1: What makes them work? Names basis true groups.
Speaker 2: Those are key Linux kernel features. Name spaces isolate things like process IDs, network stacks, user IDs, C groups limit and manage resource usage, CPU memory and c Linux helps provide security separation between containers.
Speaker 1: And the hosts, and the tool in RHL nine is Podman.
Speaker 2: Yes, Podman is the main command line tool for working with containers and container images. It's designed to be compatible with Docker commands, which helps.
Speaker 1: So containers aren't just lighter vms about packaging and portability too.
Speaker 2: Absolutely package your app and all its libraries, dependencies, everything into an image. That image runs the same way on your laptop on a test server in the cloud. That consistency is a massive.
Speaker 1: Benefit, game changer. As the guide says, Okay, Podman commands.
Speaker 2: A lot overlap with Docker. If you know that. Podman run imagine name creates and starts a container. Podman tuss list running containers a forall, pod Men Stop Container aid, Podman start Container aide, podmn.
Speaker 1: Restart Managing container life cycle.
Speaker 2: Right, Podman pom and canterrad removes a stop container. Podman Images lists images you have locally. Podman vian image.
Speaker 1: Removes an image getting images.
Speaker 2: Podman pull imagine name downloads from a registry. Podman push uploads your own images. Podman's search term looks for images in registries.
Speaker 1: What about running commands inside or copying files?
Speaker 2: Podman exec it containered command runs a command inside a running container like Bash to get a shell. Podman sipe copies files between the host and container. Podman logs shows contains output inspecting things, Podman inspect container it or image eyed gives you tons of detailed Jason info. Podman tag lets you give an image an alias or new name, and Podman version shows versions.
Speaker 1: Can you run containers like system services? Yes.
Speaker 2: Podman can generate system unit files for containers using Podman generate system then you can manage them with system sucleshall user often run as non root user services.
Speaker 1: Persistent data containers are ephemeral by default.
Speaker 2: Right. If you want data to survive container restarts, you need to mount host directories into the container using the ACV option with Podman run like defvpathon hoost dot pathing container Okay.
Speaker 1: And registries where do images come from?
Speaker 2: They're like app stores for container images. Docker hub is the big public one. Red Hat has its own registry registrate dot red hat dot Io. Companies often run private ones too.
Speaker 1: Phew, Okay, that was a lot.
Speaker 2: It really is a broad landscape, isn't it. RHL nine administration covers so much from the absolute basics right up to containers.
Speaker 1: But you start to see how it connects. Right. Yeah, command line skills are fundamental for almost everything.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, managing files, users, services, even containers often comes back to the command line.
Speaker 1: And maybe things clicked a bit more like how trim new permissions and Cylenix contexts work together for security, or how.
Speaker 2: System changed the whole boot and service management game compared to older systems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or the flexibility LVM gives you for storage.
Speaker 2: Hopefully some of those aha moments happened.
Speaker 1: But this deep dive, it's really just scratching the surface.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure, the guide lays it all out, but you really learn by doing getting those vms set up, trying the commands, breaking things, fixing things. That's where mastery comes from.
Speaker 1: So definitely encourage you, the listener, to get hands on experiment. Focus on the areas you need most, maybe storage, maybe networking, maybe containers.
Speaker 2: Whatever fits your goals.
Speaker 1: So here's a final thought, today's one. With containers becoming so dominant, how do you see these fundamental OS admin skills evolving? Hmmm, will mastery of the command line and deep system knowledge still be as crucial, or will higher level tools and automation, abstract, more of it away. Where's that balance heading.
Speaker 2: That's a really interesting question. The tools change, but understanding what's happening underneath that seems like it will always be valuable. Definitely something to think about as you keep learning. RGL nine