Speaker 1: And it's Jake Novak and Michael Cohen in for Roger Stone this evening. We're going to start you out with some breaking news, especially as we approach the 25th anniversary of 9-11. I found this decision today to be very interesting. We want to talk about it. A military judge has decided that the trial of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, remember that guy? That was the guy with all the back hair and we woke him up in the middle of the night. He was the one who actually planned the intricate planning of 9-11. He's been in our custody for a very, very long time. Since just a couple of years after 9-11, he's been in our custody. He's been at Gitmo Bay and now we have a date for his trial. Still pretty far off. It's not going to be until June 5th, 2028, but Michael Cohen It will still be a military tribunal. He's not going to get that civil trial that the liberals wanted, that Eric Holder, when he was attorney general, wanted. So I guess that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine what that trial is.
Speaker 2: Going to be like?
Speaker 1: Under Barack Obama.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was under Barack Obama that they wanted it to be a civil trial.
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: They have him exactly where he belongs. What bothers me the most, you're talking about 27 years. As we now are out to celebrate, and one of the things that we have going on here at 7-7 WABC, they're doing a gala in, and for the benefit of first responders and And their families and so on, which I think is beautiful. But 20, 27 years before this piece of garbage ends up seeing a court or I should say a tribunal decision.
Speaker 1: You know, you're an attorney and I know you're a registered Democrat and it's. It's refreshing to hear you be also on the side of think common sense of not wanting to have a civil trial for this guy. We can go into the reasons why I think a civil trial would have been a just an atrocity, an atrocity if we have a civil trial for this guy. So I'm glad we're not doing that. It was so much pressure on Holder and Obama and they ended up changing their mind two years later on this. But, you know. World War II was kind of a big thing, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: Well, one would think so.
Speaker 1: Well, we had the Nuremberg trials within a year of the end of that war, and there were some really bad dudes in those trials. This is an outrage that it has been this long. And if you think that somebody like KSM, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, is really... You know, suffering away every day at Gitmo. Probably not. I think he's in his element. He probably has a lot of buddies. I don't think that he has been punished properly.
Speaker 2: So out of the two of us, one of us actually spent some time in the pokey. And it ain't you there, Jake. So let me say this. It sucks. All right. And I can tell you, I was in the low of lows. I was in a place called Otisville, which was a satellite camp and it was horrible. And when I mean horrible, it is horrible. Say whatever you want. Guantanamo Bay is definitively worse. And I hope, I hope that KSM is being treated poorly. I really do. I hope that they're, I hope that they're doing at least worse than what they did to me. That's what I hope for this animal who caused the death of so many, so many Americans and so many individuals.
Speaker 1: You know, it's, it's amazing to me that it, because during that period when it was being debated, Whether or not there would be a civil trial for this guy. It was shocking to me how many people didn't understand why a civil trial would be an atrocity. Can you imagine being a family member of one of the people murdered and you got to hear in open court? a lawyer basically saying that your loved one had a comment. Also, the networks.
Speaker 2: Right, you know, because there's the old adage, right, that everyone's entitled to the best defense that money can buy. And here's the thing that would bother me about that type of a trial. You know that there's outside money that would be coming in To the United States. Nobody talked about that. Guaranteed 100 percent money would be coming in from these outside sources and they would end up funding an entire group of attorneys, a real true legal team, in order to try to defend this animal.
Speaker 1: Well, you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I wanted to talk about. This would have created a financial network. And listen, they're doing it already. In fact, there's breaking news tonight also about how Antifa in Portland was funded by Hamas. was funded by the IRGC. Not a surprise to me, but now that there's evidence of it, I think that's big news. So it wouldn't have only been all that money coming in, but Michael Cohen, the relationships that would have been made, the terrorist groups would have made relationships with big time New York law firms and they would have had, they would have been able to use them for anything else they might want to use them for. It would have been an absolute disaster in addition to being, I think, incredibly hurtful for the victim's families who don't deserve to hear some wisecracking lawyer talking about how Somebody at Bear Stearns or Canterford Sterl, to be more exact, had a comment.
Speaker 2: Could you also imagine if no decent law firm ended up taking KSM's case? Now the taxpayer has to actually foot the bill because you cannot have a trial, specifically one such as this, without having court-appointed counsel. Meaning we, on top of everything, have to fund the defense for this monster.
Speaker 1: I urge everyone to go watch Judgment at Nuremberg. You know, that movie holds up. The movie was made not, I think, as it was early 60s, I think it came out. Understand how these military trials go. It's not like you're not allowed to have a defense. It's not like you don't have certain rights. But KSM, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, was a military combatant against the United States. Just because it was an attack on a civilian target doesn't mean it wasn't a military attack. And it was. Al Qaeda is still a paramilitary terrorist army. And to me, it was one of those things where somebody out there just thought too much of themselves in the legal profession and thought like this was just so obvious. Of course, he should deserve a civil trial. It only took two years for them to reverse that. But here we are. It's going to be 17 years after that reversal and 27 years almost after 9-11 before this guy actually sees some kind of a trial. I don't know. It seems to me that's an atrocity, too, that people.
Speaker 2: Have to wait that long. It's a total miscarriage. You know, they always say that justice delayed is justice denied. I truly feel for the families. And by the way, I know a bunch of families that lost members. I know my next-door neighbor growing up passed away. During the 9-11 attacks. And I got to tell you something. They wouldn't be happy. They're not happy that this monster is still breathing. He doesn't deserve to breathe the air. That's my, again, my opinion. And I would have liked to have seen this thing move a whole lot more expeditiously.
Speaker 1: I mean, we have an entire generation of Americans who were born after 9-11 now. don't really know about it, are susceptible to all kinds of lies and other mischaracterizations of the attack. But all you need to do is just listen to what al-Qaeda itself said, what Osama bin Laden said. And what I would have liked to have seen even more than swift justice in a court of any kind, tribunal or not, would have been for him to have been dealt with like Ayman al-Zahiri. Now, Osama bin Laden, everybody knows, he was like the chairman of the board of al-Qaeda. He didn't really personally plan stuff. Ayman al-Zahiri was the CEO. Khaliq Sheikh Mohammed was the one who was his number one operative for the 9-11 attacks. But Ayman al-Zahiri, four years ago now, almost exactly four years ago, we took out with the CIA operation with the drone. He was living in a fancy building in Kabul. I can't believe there are fancy buildings in Kabul, but I guess there are.
Speaker 2: When you have their sort of money, you can build something fancy anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was a precise strike. I mean, I think he was in an apartment building. They went right to the window. and got him. That was a good... And he was a terrorist even before we knew what al-Qaeda was. He was also the one behind the assassination of Anwar al-Sadat in Egypt. They let him out. I mean, the whole thing. So to me, that was much... Listen, they want to fight a war, then die in a battlefield. Get them on a battlefield. But if we got to have a military tribunal, at least let's do that instead of... Can you imagine what the security would have been like in lower Manhattan? People coming... I mean, if they're coming there for... For Luigi Mangione, there probably would have been a bunch of Islamist protesters.
Speaker 2: Well, you should have seen when I was on trial the amount of people that were flooding the streets. This would be like nothing that we've ever seen here in New York. And, of course, our mayor would probably be, I don't know, talking nonsense, more nonsense about this trial and how unjust it is.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: Think about, for example, like what he's talking about now with this Hindu nationalist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's this, so there's a guy, the party that actually rules India, they actually have a democracy there. They actually have elections there. They've had them for a long time. It's the world, I think they call it the world's oldest, you know, functioning democracy, the world's largest democracy as far as population is concerned. So the party that is the ruling party, the majority party in India is, It's known as the BJP. I'm not going to mispronounce the Hindi words, so don't worry about that. Their leader, Mohan Bhagwat, is coming to Madison Square Garden on Saturday. Now, of course— Are you going, Jake? Well, you know, I'm going to try.
Speaker 2: I've got to be honest with you. I have Shabbat, so I'm going to end up taking a pass.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Listen, it depends on what they're serving. Indian food is like my second favorite food, and I'm a sucker for it every single time, and I'm always looking for new stuff. so i can only imagine what the vendors are going to be like there but uh and it's a part of my dreams and i'm not kidding but um it's amazing you know he so mamdani sounds a lot like he sounded when it came to Netanyahu coming to New York. Remember, he wanted to try to arrest him, but I'm sorry, I can't. Here's what he has to say about this guy from a Hindu party in India. He doesn't like him either.
Speaker 3: You know, I also stand here as the first Indian American mayor in our city's history.
Speaker 1: Big deal. You don't like anything about India. I don't care that you were born there.
Speaker 3: Mazel tov.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big deal.
Speaker 3: Continuing. And my mother's family is all still in India. And the vision of India... that I was taught by my family and the one that I grew up being very familiar with was of a pluralistic society.
Speaker 1: Not baloney. Pluralistic society. He was brought up by communists, communist sympathizers. This party, the BJP, is not just a Hindu. They call it a Hindu nationalist party. No, it's an anti-communist party. Let's continue.
Speaker 3: Secular republic that believed in the belonging of each and every person who was from India. And it has been incredibly troubling to see the rise of a movement that is predicated on an exclusionary vision of any country, frankly. And so it is one that I find myself in deep opposition to, not only as an Indian American, but also as the mayor of a city that believes deeply in the belonging of each and every person, no matter their color, their creed, their religion, their faith, wherever they're from.
Speaker 1: Should the rally be canceled, though, at MSG this weekend?
Speaker 3: I don't support the rally, but I don't know if the city has any jurisdiction on canceling a private event.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's constantly unable to do this. He talks a good game. The BJP party, yes, it is hoping for basically a Hindu national estate. That's what they're going for. They don't want Islamists blowing up people in India. And so suddenly they're the bad guys. This is the party of Nahendra Modi, who was a tremendous friend of President Trump. I don't know if you ever had any dealings with him over the years, but he's a tremendous ally of this country. We've got to get them to buy less Russian oil, but that's another, you know, listen, we don't agree on everything. I know that's your mantra. You can't agree on everything with somebody. Otherwise you should be locked up.
Speaker 2: Well, I certainly don't agree with Mayor Moran Mandani in light of, yeah, he's okay with this individual from the BJP coming to Madison Square Garden, but he couldn't find the time to to participate in the Israeli day parade. I mean, again, but yet he'll turn around and he'll talk about my Jewish brothers and sisters, right? He'll talk about things like that. He'll talk about how this is New York City, that this is the home where everybody, race, religion, creed, color, it doesn't make a difference unless, of course, you're Jewish. And you want to participate in the Israeli day parade. Then he's going to put his foot down.
Speaker 1: Also, Michael Cohen, he showed up at Pakistani events. Pakistan is an Islamist country. They are not a pluralistic society either. What a joke. India is much more pluralist than Pakistan ever will be. what an absolute joke this guy is.
Speaker 2: And me personally, I don't care if he's the first Indian. I don't care whether you're male or female. I don't care black, white, brown. It doesn't matter to me. Do the job that the New Yorkers, that all New Yorkers need you to do. That to me is the most important thing. Once they start hitting that whole, that whole race, religion, creed, color card, then you know that they're full of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the last thing I'll say about this, uh, Mamdani and all the other people who are upset that there is a more Hindu nationalist party that's been ruling India for quite some time now. You know what? If you didn't want that party to take control, then you should have told your so-called pluralist people, who were the children and grandchildren of Gandhi, by the way, to stop being communists, because that's why the people voted them out. And that's how you got a Hindu nationalist party running your country. But it's still a democracy, and we can't say that about almost any other country in their region.