Speaker 1: Bring a new sponsor on FTP. We have Bighorn Golfer dot com and want to suck less at golf. Get yourself a full swing kit launch monitor. Don't take it from me, I'm not on tour anymore. Take it from the goat Tiger Woods. He put his name on it, so you know it's got to be the shit. While you're there, check out their top of the line of electric push carts to my country clubbers. Make the boys at the club jealous. Get your ass on one of those badass golf scooters. They sell hunting bikes too. It is a perfect FTP fit. That's Bighorn Golfer dot com.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Travis Miller, creator of PJ Memes. I've been all over the place. I hungover drinking my coffee. Don't know why I made the decision to come onto this podcast, but hey, let's jump right in. Let's talk some shit, let's have a good day.
Speaker 1: And we can't let that happen. We just can't let that happen on this podcast because we are for the people.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day. The guy's a hell of a player. Beyond nails.
Speaker 1: That is the hardest. Part three of the PJ organ it's a hybrid three iired or four iron.
Speaker 3: Every day it's for the People. You were the last group off off a split t horseshoe on number ten and you do a happy gill work.
Speaker 1: What the hell's wrong with that? Well, it's another episode of Four of the People. We have had four co hosts in a row. Now, that's probably a record for this podcast.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: We haven't looked it up. We don't look up things. We're not a stat statistics pod. No facts here. But we have Travis Miller from PGA Memes. If you've seen a funny meme in the last three, four or five years, it probably came from this guy, especially if you saw a golf meme. Travis Miller has been what you've been all with four or five states in the last week. And he joins us hungover maybe something at his coffee, We're not sure, but Travis Miller, PGA Memes on Four of the People.
Speaker 2: Cheers boys, I'm glad to be on here. Long overdue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were just talking about it and you were at Tory Pines doing all this stuff. Everybody, you know, if you follow for the People, you probably follow PGA memes that go hand in hand. You're also one of your sponsors, Pins and ASA's sponsored spun thored the pod in our early days, right, that was like first first few episodes, but went you went to Tory filled a bunch of content, then you went straight to Taylor Guc's house. Dude, what's it like just jet setting all over the world and then trying to leave it lead a normal life at home.
Speaker 2: It's been pretty incredible. Man. I had a demanding job forever and uh got into golf because of that job, and then now to be able to do this, I mean, I still like to bring that comedy aspect to golf through memes. I love memes. I love them. Before PJ memes started, i'd I'd be on the road, like looking at my phone and just start laughing out loud. It's something that related to my life, and i'd, you know, you share it with like twenty people, you know, and then I'm like, hey, there's nothing in golf like this. But to turn it into kind of what I've done now, and I have the media side of my company where I will work with players and great different stuff for them, it's pretty nuts, man. It's I do find myself like pinching myself every week, like all right, hey, I'm walking nine holes right now with Jason Day and Reggie Bush and talking to John Ram on the putting green for thirty minutes. I'm like, this is nuts, man. Let me go make a meme real quick and come back. Yeah. It's like, while, what.
Speaker 1: Did you do before you started PGA memes?
Speaker 2: So right in college, I was a broke college student. I was trying to make it in baseball actually, and I got injured, and all my roommates for football players and all were Mormon guys because my dad transferred for work from Los Angeles to Park City. So when I was going to college in Utah, was all these Mormon guys that came home from their missions. And one of them came home one night was like, hey, like bet my buddy made two hundred and fifty grand selling alarm systems last summer. He's like, he's doing a party tonight to recruit some guys to come with them. Do you want to go? And I had twenty bucks. I'm like, I'm eighteen years old. I had twenty dollars in my pocket. I wanted pizza and two hundred fifty grand sounded interesting to me, but I didn't know about selling alarms. So we went all nine of us signed up that night, and we packed our bags moved to Chicago for the summer, and I ended up being the top first year rep in the company made I didn't two hundred fifty grand, but I made six figures selling alarms. And I'll tell you it was like the best thing ever for me because I learned a lot about like life and discipline and just you know, just like a bunch of Auden stuff like credit, balancing your finances and just like interacting with people, taking rejection and stuff. And my best friend's dad start wanting to start a company and he let me be a part of like the beginning of that, and so we started our own alarm dealership. Became the fifth largest ADT dealership in the country. And uh, after like five years, we transitioned to commercial security. And all all security is boring as hell, by the way, and so I mean, we're recruiting reps and selling and there's a lot of money in it, but I'm not loving it. And we went to commercial security. I was looking for something else and the company we were selling contracts to was located in Dallas now Brings Home Security, and they recruited me to go over and run their national dealer program, and I took the job, And honestly, that's what got me into golf, folks. I had to start doing all that client golf that you see like Who's Golf, fining and dining, and so I got to play some of the best courses in the world on someone else's pocket and got to just meet a bunch of cool people golfing. And I sucked because I was a baseball player. I still suck, but it was Uh. I saw golf for what it is, man Like, you go out with your buddies and you talk shit and you bet, you drink and you have fun. Uh you know, you birdie the last toll. You want to come back and play again? Like I mean, I just I had so much fun. I got addicted. But when I saw it on TV, I never really was interested in golf. I thought was really boring, and I thought a lot of the players didn't have any personality at all. And what I learned after knowing a lot of them and getting to know a lot of them, they do there's a lot of great dudes out there that are funny, and there's a lot of them that aren't that funny and they're dicks. But you know, if they don't have the opportunity, they're playing for a lot of money, they're playing for world ranking points. When they come off the course, the questions they ask are stale. It's the same same stuff every time. Answers are the same thing. So it's like it's easy to not dive and immerse yourself into golf from the professional level, you know, if you haven't got out there and played on the local munis or played with your buddies. So that job really opened the door for some cool things for me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know what you did in the process of all of this and the in the process of going from a security salesman alarm system to PGA memes, you sent Smiley Kaufman into retirement.
Speaker 2: So you sent.
Speaker 1: Smiley Smiley to the booth single. You single handedly sent him to retirement. Why are you picking on my boy.
Speaker 2: Smiley so much back in the day, man, I'll tell you I do have some regrets.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I'll say that I have some regrets because I'm not a bad guy. Man, I'm not and I've I've made amends with everybody except for Smiley, because dude, I've had a couple of people that hated me and have come at me hard and we're cool now we're good. But Smiley, him and I have never spoke. I feel like Speeth and JT, like like JT followed me for a while and then when he had his his F word moment in Hawaii, I made a couple of funny memes about it with the office clips and stuff, and I thought they were great. They were really funny, funny memes, some of the best ones ever and followed me unfortunately after that. But soft, like that little click, I've not been able to like really do much with that click because of my Smiley interactions. Like Ricky and I are cool, but like just I don't know. One day I'd like to talk to Smiley. Dude. He's doing good on the booth though, man, I mean.
Speaker 3: He has found all Yeah, yeah, you look like a hero. You look like a hero at this point. Man, you put him in the booth, he could be one of the best analysts ever. That's that's the hard thing about golf too. It's like, I mean, it's a little more chill when you're out there, like on a nice course PGA tour course, but that's their work. So like guys on the course and off the course, like Pete will tell you it is, it is way different. Like some dudes on the course are just like I mean, you think they've probably killed people in their spare time because they act like such assholes on the course, but really they're the nicest guys ever. Like they're the guys who want to drink, hang out with whatever. You hate playing golf with him, you freaking hate it. Then there's the opposite, like like slow dudes. Slow dudes are so nice on the course because if you're slow and you're like, you're the worst person on the planet, like no one would want to even play golf with you ever again. But off the course, you're like, this guy's so nice, he's always such a dick. I don't want to see this guy ever off the course. So it's kind of hard to size up. That's what dude, That's what I was wondering, because at some point you're gonna run its course where you're gonna you're gonna light everybody up at some point. Is there anybody that that is like personally, you feel his off limits. Like I got to watch myself with this guy just a little bit, just just because I know I might want to be boys with him one day.
Speaker 2: No, man, I mean I agree. Like when I first got into golf, like Ricky was my favorite player and the reason why reason what that was was like I said I wasn't a golfer, and I was in my office one day. We shared this big room and I don't got a buddy named Tim. That was like just talking about Ricky Faler about wearing all orange or like the crazy colors and the long hair. He's like, dude, there's this like motocross kid who's such a good golfer and he's like fun to water on PGA touries. Like it's like unbelievable to see him out there like paired with Tiger. Yeah, you know, he's like it just doesn't look right, but he goes it's cool to see and I remember, like, what are you talking about? Checking it out? And it was kind of right when I was starting to get into it, So I like gravitated towards that. I thought it was really unique. It stood out, it was interesting. He held himself pretty well, and he still does hold himself together really well, and so I just a'm like, that's my guy. You know, I love Ricky Faler and even him though man big jokes about. I Mean Ricky, Sure, he broke through and won the Big One with the players credible back nine, you know, and that was one way that shut a lot of people up. But you know, he had a really hard time getting over the top and the majors. He got real close that one year where he was top five and all four, and now he's in some you know, a major slump. And I've grown sensitive to guys who struggle that are good dudes, Like, because the golf is personal. You know, if I'm NFL memes or NBA memes, I can make fun one of the Cleveland Browns for sucking forever, you know, and like then you can personally attack to Sean Watson for all his massage mishaps and uh, you know, being a sexual predator or whatever. Like you know, it's like some of that stuff, it's like, Okay, you could drill down on the city, the team, and then player that deserves it. With golf, it's like I'm going out, Smiley, It's I'm going right at Smiley and I get it. Man, golf is a grind. You can be on top of your game and then one thing flips and you can't figure it out and mentally you're just screwed and and then all you need is a meme page just pounding on you and all these people like that's what I mean. I look back and I'm like, dude, I could I've done some things differently. Absolutely, you know, dude, he only got pissed at me one time, though, like publicly.
Speaker 1: You got mad at you. Oh dude, hey, yeah, we need that story. Yeah, he probably was.
Speaker 2: Like twenty natties deep, dude, and came at me in the middle of the night. It was like it was I found a picture, like, dude, this is one of the funny things about making memes is finding pictures that like, yeah, that will just be like, oh, this is perfect. And I just got done watching like Wolf of Wall Street for like the sixth time, and the scene where McConaughey is like how many times you jerk off a day? And he's like, I don't know. It was a rookie numbers. You gotta step it up, right. So I find a picture of smiley, and is this is at his wedding and his bride is like reading like her vows to him or whatever, and so but the picture is like he's like like dialed in listening to her. I mean, obviously it's the best, most special moment of their lives together as a couple. But he's like adamantly listening to her. And so I make that meme and she's like, and I go for reviewing his scorecard. These are rookie numbers. You need to step it up, which was like funny to tell, like it's a great meme, but it's like a very intimate, special, private moment. And I found the picture on Google Images, you know, and he's and he just like, listen, hey, pro like he calls it pro hey, pro, Like, dude, I love the memes, love what you do, but pro like, you got to leave my wife, my family out of it, like you didn't just and he's right. I was like, dude, you're right. Man. I'm like, yeah, yes, I got it. There. I gotta not do that. That's crossing the line. And I took it down. It was only up for like an hour, and I think there was a miscommunication. I mean, I might have even stepped out and been like, dude, I'll, i'll, you know, take it easy on you, But I feel bad. But I wasn't gonna like stop making jokes about him or other players, like it's what I'm supposed to do with PGA memes. But you know, I know that over time, it just was. It got to the point where I was beating a dead horse. And even people that were commenting are like, hey, dude, like Smiley's it's done.
Speaker 1: You've killed you have killed him, You've totally killed him.
Speaker 2: He's dead.
Speaker 1: He's like in his coffin already. He's hell of an announcer. So great job you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he came at me. Lee Westwood came at me publicly in the comments.
Speaker 1: What did he say?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: I'm sure that meme was fantastic, Lee Westwood. There's just tons of ships you could post about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one, this one I've shared a couple of times, but it's such a great story. Man. He there was a picture of him and Luke Donald like I don't know if it's a practice round or in a regular round, but I photoshopped Tiger like poking up over a bunker like a lip of a bunker and I'm like, wow, look, fifteen majors in one picture, and like Lee, just within five minutes, Lee commented on there like all real funny coming from a bloke that lives in his mom's basement with a tiny penis, And I'm like, dude, this is the best thing you ever like want to react. I want a good reaction, right, And I was like, this is unbelievable. So half the people are like on team Lee, like yeah, f PJ memes, you probably couldn't even you know, break a hundred, you know. And then there's half the people that are like Lee, like quipping a bit, You're never gonna win a major. And so I'm like, okay, well I don't want people pouncing on Lee, Like I'm like, I already did the joke. But it kind of when guys react that way, at least in my beginning days, like it made me feel the fire, Like it made me want to create more memes about that person because I'm like, all right, this obviously irked them, so let's let's go ahead and turn the knife just a little bit more, you know, like let's let's fuck with them a little bit more. And like it was it was fun. But like Michelle Wee, for instance, I made a meme of her. It was like a giraffe bent over drinking out of a river, and I was like, that looks like her putting stance table right. She commented on there, She's like, oh my gosh, this is the funniest thing I've ever seen. I hate you. And like everyone commented on that, like, oh, Michelle, You're so cool. You can make fun of yourself and you know, and like behind the scenes she's still been She's cool, and like I wasn't trying to be a dick about it, just it was funny. It looked just like her tabletop putting stands, which was a terrible look. But Lee, I had to I flew to Abu Dhabi before like the COVID world shut down, and I I was on the t box interviewing players and doing content and Lee was in the field and I'm like, oh god them this one.
Speaker 1: Did they recognize you? Like do all the players know who you are now when you're out there?
Speaker 2: Like are you that now? They now they do because of the home course stuff or whatever, But like before that, no, not so much. Maybe a couple guys, but like I.
Speaker 1: So Lee didn't know who you were standing on the T box. You saw some random fan with a phone and a microphone.
Speaker 2: It's just like yeah, so that's what I assumed. Like when I went to Abu Dhabi, they were they were like, I mean, there's like there's quite a few American players that play there, but there's like a couple that are always like paid. The paid players that year was kept because he was world number one, and then Bryson and then Patrick Cantley or the three paid guys that were like big names, I guess, and then there was a bunch of other like Americans. Then a lot of European tour players believe it or not. I don't know if it was you or if it was Graham McDow or like the one and two first like pro golfers that followed p Jammes. And then then there was a lot of like European players like that were just dying laughing like because they I felt like a lot of them had their perception and what they thought of some American players, and so they would just comment in the DMS, and you know, and a lot of wives, a lot of caddies, and a lot of players would privately in the DMS, they try to give me in thrower tell me like, yeah, you're right about this, like keep making jokes about this, like that guy's a dick or you know. And so it was pretty funny to see that. But no one knew who I was or my face or anything. And Abu Dhabi there was maybe a few like Bryson knew who I was a couple of people, But when I'm out there, I'm like, I don't think he knows who I am. And I'm like, I'm not quite sure how I address that. And his group's coming up, and I'm a little like, I know he's not gonna like beat my ass or anything like that or like try to start a fight, but at the same time, I'm a little nervous about meeting him and just like squashing this beef and I'm trying to think of how I'm going to address it. But we just dive into it. Like the camera guy that was there was like he was like the man. He would be like, hey, real quick, Sergia or Lee or whoever, can we just ask a few questions for social media, like nothing about p jamimes, right, So he's like all, right, of course, so he comes over and ask him like five questions or something, and he did a great job and it was funny. We both were laughing about it. And then when it ended, I just like shook his hand and kind of grabbed on and I'm like, by the way, I'm like, I'm PJ. Means like I'm the guy who runs that account, and he goes, I know who you are, man, and he's like, how's your mom doing? Like just like we both like we're dying laughing. And then since then, like him and I've been pretty close, Like we actually got hammered together at the Durrel Live event. Uh Like it was like Wednesday night. We're in the lobby at the Trump Moral just getting hammered in Lee Westwoods there. I'm like, this is full circle right here.
Speaker 1: For sure. That's it, dude.
Speaker 3: I think I think Lee like rabbit He it seems like he rabbit holes himself a little bit in comments because you know, he probably likes to booze it, so all of his comments they'll be like I think booze driven, like after hours and he'll just comment on his own either tweets or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: And I was like, you gotta appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Just just yeah, just introduce your gut yourself as the guy that lives in his mom's case.
Speaker 2: I get that way now too, man, Like there's I hate people with some of their comments, and you just want to quickly say something, and like there's times I'm like, all right, I'm just gonna block this guy because he's a moron, you know, like there's no value in whatsoever having him ever be on this page again. And then there's times I'll comment something and then I like, a few hours later, I look at what that caused and I'm like, probably shouldn't have done that. But yeah, because you're never gonna win an argument about that on the internet.
Speaker 1: No, you're not.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The Sculfers are fragile too, man, They are so fragile. They're the most fragile athletes on earth. So how's the relationship between live and PGA Tour? So you do both, You're like one of the only ones that does content on the PGA tour, Like last week you're at Tory for a few days doing stuff and they don't obviously they want you there. And then live You're you're at the live events too, doing similar content. So how do you balance that?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 3: Like it?
Speaker 1: I feel as if it's a seesaw and the pendulums like this, they're fighting each other, but you're not fighting them. You seem to get along with both.
Speaker 2: How's that work? Yeah? Well, okay, So I'm glad you asked that question. This will be the first time they'll get publicly like just set it straight. But the PGA Tour, I don't know that they want me there, to be honest with you, I don't. So. I own a company called five nine Media as well, and in that I represent brands and players, and one of the players that is on my roster that represent is Jason Day. And so I'm credentialed at the PJ Tour inside the ropes in the practice area to get content for Jason. And last year I was getting a lot of content with Ricky as well. And Ricky has a media company though himself, and so we're not going to be doing a lot with him this year. But like so I'm there, like in I'm like I'm there for like team Jason Day. I have been hired in the past to go to PJ Tour events, but it's not been with the tour. It's been with like the sponsor, so like CJ or bb go or Charles Swab. Shoot, there's a couple more at and t or something like that, may do something. But what's funny is like they come up with these grand plans of what they want to do and then they share that with the tour, and the tour is like, no, you can't, you can't do these things. Like a last event, Yeah, okay, So the last time I got hired to go to a PJ Tour event was CJ Cup at Summit Club, so a little over a year ago, and they paid a lot of money, by the way, Like so I'm like, yeah, I'm gonna go on. And Jason played in that event. So it was like killing two birds with one stone. And then they hired a YouTube a two YouTube kids, and then another like Instagram guy. Okay, and so we kind of all knew each other and we go and you know, I got paid really good, and I'm I'm sure these YouTube kids got paid more than me. Well, anyways, I had all these plans, like I was gonna be at one of the tea boxes on Tuesday and we were going to play some games with some players and ask questions and make it comedy, lighthearted, nothing that would be inappropriate, something that a fourteen year old aspiring golfer would watch and laugh, you know, or a fifty year old guy like it was just funny stuff, and had a few other little things We're going to do with individual guys, and they literally shut everything down, Like the Friday before I was supposed to go, PJ Tour said, hey, with our media rights, we can't film things on the course with players. We can't. We can't do this, we can't do that. This is what you can't do. So this I literally then Bbgo and CJ Cup was livid, but they still paid me my fee, which I, you know, felt terrible about. I tried to do everything I could, So I went to the fan zone, which there were no fans there. Summit clubs behind two private gates. It's like, you know, it's a great field. It was a hell of a field, but like no fans were there. So I went to the fan zone to show everybody what I was about. I went to Bbgo's station, ate some of their food and shared what that was all about. And I did like a quick video at the beginning of the week, like with the driving range behind me, which I was like even worried about doing that right, and just talked about how strong the field was and if you're in Vegas or you close proximity, you should come out to the event and check it out get some tickets. Like so that's all I was able to do. But for me, like I I have a business background, and I also I'm not in this for just this overnight like sensation to make a quick buck. So like I went and like reached out to a couple of players who I'm friends with and like got content from them from their hotel room. See where it's safe, Like BJ Tour doesn't have rights to their fucking hotel room. So I'm like, so I went out of my way to go do that for bb GO and CJ Cup, which they were like super great, gracious for, but like that's the kind of stuff that's like it's terrible, it's ridiculous, you know, And like they just screwed over their sponsor where they probably paid like between everybody that they brought out, they probably paid one hundred grand and all that money was literally for waste in my opinion, because they brought out those like good good YouTube kids, their whole bit is to play on the course and shoot content and show people what that's all about. And they weren't even able to do that. So it's like, why are they there? You know?
Speaker 1: Well these are some archaic policies though, because when I did my Happy Gilmore in fifteen, I'm sure you know Drew Steckel, Sure you know Drew Drew filmed it. Drew filmed it on his cell phone. I told him. I was like, I'm a happy Gilmour, this bitch right down the fairway over here off ten. You know, I'm in last place. Who gives a shit? He's like, no, you won't, Yes, I will get your phone out. So they announced me and I do it, and then I post it. And when I landed Abu dabby half halfway back to Fort Worth, I have one hundred and fifty text messages, phone calls everywhere from everyone, all the way as high as Tim Fincham. That was back when Fincham was a commissioner, and they were all pissed, you know, blah blah blah. Metea writes, you can't do that on our golf course. It's our golf course, you know, our media rights, blah blah, it's the same thing. This policies have been in effect forever, and they won't They just won't change in with the times. I guess since you've got so much acts with Live as well, you know your access with Live is probably unlimited. I mean, I'm sure you could go to eny Hole until whatever, and once that they see that, you know they're gonna have to start adjusting some of this stuff because there's good Good guys. I don't know what the that that contract with I think they said with Callaway.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, they signed a huge deal with Callaway, and I mean Callaway's listen. A lot of people are like, what the hell, Like it's a big deal, Like I bet that was a seven figure plus deal that they did with Good Good. The thing is with marketing, man, those kids get not only as Good Good, but individually they all get hundreds of thousands, millions of years per video. They're putting out multiple videos per week and they reach an odd demographic like to me, like, I can't even watch the PGA tour like done TV, like unless like I have a horse in the race or someone who I feel like there's almost a friend of mine now, Like I don't watch it, like I'll follow it on my phone. That's it. So like I won't watch a kid play golf on YouTube, Like I just can't understand that. But like people are just gung ho about that, And so I think it's a good move by Callaway. Taylor made signed a couple of guys too, and they're giving them access to their athletes, And I think it's a good win for that because they're they're athletes. As much as they might not want to do it, it's opening them up to a new demographic of fans and people. And like pip thing is real, Like last year through the efforts I've did with my media company, I mean j Day I started working with him. I'm like, dude, you're such a likable guy. You have a big social presence already. I'm like, but your social is terrible. Like all it is is like Astra Zeneca ads, Like you're not even posting anything about golf. You know, I'm like, what are you doing there? Right? He's like me, I don't do that, you know. He's like I just He's like, yeah, it is what it is. And then like the next day he's like, do you just want to do it? You know? Like, let's figure it out, and he literally was. We got him into the top twenty of the pip last year, which was the it was first top ten, I think the first year. Now it's top twenty to get paid. So he's eighteenth place and he got a two million dollar bonus for pipy.
Speaker 1: Damn good. Hey that was probably worth it for you, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was like still ranked over one hundredth in the world. So it's like goes to show doing that stuff is certainly worth your your time and you know, your investment and stuff like that. But it's just it's crazy how the PGA Tour saw our caic with stuff. But I'll tell you, like my badge this year and now have a pee on it so I can go into the practice area. Last year I couldn't. So that's a big stet you. Yeah. But even like so, like Reggie Bush was out there and we share the say like he has his agent, but he also has like a guy that reps me that in the golf business that he's also helping Reggie a little bit because Reggie's really obsessed with golf and I shot. So when I was out there, my agent was like, hey, can you help get some content for Reggie, and I'm like, I don't know, man, I'm like, I'm there for Jason if I if I have time and it works out, I will for sure. Well turned out they played together, so I was like, well, shit, this is easy. And so I was like being very careful because even Reggie, who's probably the like arguably one of the best, if not the best college football player ever in like a football legend, like, and Jason and him were interacting like awesome the whole time. Jason's giving him tips and they're you know, good back and forth. I'm being careful as I shoot Reggie because he has rules, like he can't post certain things for him to share. But at the same time, it's like, you know, people who follow Reggie Bush like they like worship Reggie Bush, they love Reggie Bush and like and also there may be some people who follow Reggie that never thought about getting into golf, but they could see that Reggie's obviously addicted to it, so he can bring in a ton of new people into the sport. And like it's just ridiculous, but like we were able to cut something up that I thought was good that he posted. But like at the end of the day. It's like the PGM tour needs to think bigger, you know, they need to think like, how can we let these athletes or these creators come in and give them what they need to do, Because what's going on on a Tuesday at Tory Pines that's going to impact your media rights.
Speaker 1: Right, Let's be real here, Like, let's be real. It's the worst day of the week on tour, I think. I mean, it's the worst day of the week. It was always the most boring, and they had a huge opera. They have a huge opportunity to really see let let the world see these guys for their personalities on Tuesdays, because you know, that's why at augustin Nashnal, most people like Tuesday as the best day because they can actually get autographs, talk to the players. They're hitting a shitload of shots from all over the place. They're going up to the fans and interacting. Tuesday's the best day at the Masters really is by a lot of people's way out. So Tuesdays on the PGA tour have the opportunity to be the same thing. But with all of the killer archaic policies they have with their Media Rights. It sounds as if it'll never be that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's it's moving slowly. They did some stuff last year in the FedEx Cup playoffs, and I think it's I mean, well, it's obviously because of what Lib's doing, but they let guys go into the press conference that are like creators or comedians. They let some guys do YouTube videos during practice rounds or even play like the Monday after and do some cool stuff and gave them primo access, and like, you don't need to pay some of these creators to go do some of this stuff. Giving someone a platform or access is good enough. It really is, because then it gives you, as a creator or as a brand, credibility with your audience to know like, well, hey, you're not just going with your friends to like Bridlewood and Flower Mountain to go play golf every week, like you're actually on East Lake and you're talking to Zandershopley or you're playing around with Harry Higgs or some I don't know, like it's something, but they're slowly getting there. But like with Live, Greg and I've done content before Live happened and he was great, Like I can't explain it like he was great. Him and I clicked and did really like well together, and we cultivated a little bit of a friendship. And from what I've heard, like a lot of people have been like they like, Greg's one of those guys either like him or you don't like him, Like there's really no middle ground with Greg. But him and I clicked right from the beginning, and so he was like I apparently from what he said, I was one of the first people he called when the league was when he signed as a CEO and commissioner, and he's like he basically told me, He's like, this is what's going to happen. I'd love for you to be a part of it and give you the access you need. He goes, You're obviously a big platform, you know, and you toe the line of you know, golf media and stuff, and I think it could be fun, and we'll give you the access you need to create stuff with players and be a part of the movement and stuff. Like I get it. You probably still want to do stuff with the tour, and I get it, like this is just this is just golf and good for the game, and you do what you want to do and so I didn't take one dollar from Live last year, like yeah, and so people think I'm like sitting on a bucket of blood money over here or whatever, but no, I did not get paid one dollar. They did pay for some travel for me to fly to places, and I'm grateful for it. I mean, I got to go to the first London event, and I did not know what to expect. A lot of players who I've become friends with, you know, are what they call defectors or villains or whatever, went over there, and so it was a safe place for me too because I knew I knew a lot of people. And I went to the London event and I was pretty I mean I was actually wildly impressed, like with how it looked and felt the energy, it.
Speaker 1: Was a vibe like it was.
Speaker 2: And then the fans there are different than American fans, but I'll tell you, like it was packed. I went to the fan zone. They had a ton of apparel. I didn't quite know what to make with the team names and all that stuff, and I still don't know, and I don't know what's going to be permanent or not. But all the merchant I sold out, Like I was like this isn't like I'm like, this is pretty pretty wild, you know, But to be there for the inaugural one thought was pretty cool. I think I ended up going to three more and I have a good relationship with the Trump family, so like I went to the ones that were at the Trump properties for sure, but they do they gave me all the acts I needed. I was inside the ropes not only in practice rounds, but I could go inside the ropes during tournament rounds I wanted to. I played in two pro ams, could have played in any problem that I wanted. I could go into the media center. I mean, I could you know, what kind of content do you want to create? Like they're looking to me for some ideas to get creative and stuff, and so like this year we're looking at other ideas of what we can do together for sure, and it's like I think it's been good for the game. Like I don't think they're trying to really make golf fans like golf more. I don't think they're trying like and obviously they would love to have more American fans move over to Live and or just like Live, But what I have seen are the people that don't know anything about golf or don't like golf or getting to golf live is very appealing and people worldwide in different countries. I think Live is going to be appealing and uh, you know interesting for those fans that come over. I think it's going to ultimately will grow the game in a way that maybe the PGA Tour can't or couldn't or isn't thinking about. But I like them both. Man, I'd love to be able to be that person who can do both and balance it out. But unfortunately, the way the world we live in today, it's super toxic. And so it's like Live in pgates is every bit as bad as like Biden versus Trump. Right, it's like the same thing, you know. And if if I could go to Live Mexico event next month, but then you know, the PGA Tour is like, hey, come do some fun stuff at waste management, I would do both. Yeah, I'd do it with a smile on my face, and I'd have a hell of a time and I would give both of them one hundred percent of my effort and go from there. But I think people look at it as like you have to pick one side or the other, and you you just don't you know.
Speaker 3: What's up for the people fam. We're super excited to have Gooder Sunglasses as a sponsor for the entire year. Gooder Sunglasses every pair twenty five to thirty five bucks, one hundred percent UV protective, one hundred percent polarized, and they make great golf specific lenses. They make brighter lenses. They make a dark lens called back nine Blackout. That's my favorite for multiple reasons. So go ahead and head to www dot goodr dot com. Insert code FTP fifteen. That'll get you a nice little discount. Also, free returns within thirty days, one year warranty, free shipping over fifty bucks. So go ahead, get yourself a couple pair of goods and have a day. Hey guys, we all know golf is hard, but looking good on the course definitely doesn't have to be. Our guys that Live Forever Golf promote a comfortable lifestyle on and off the golf course. They've got Polos golf shorts, five pocket perform pants, out of wear, active wear, a bunch of cool T shirts, a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of cool hats.
Speaker 3: You can go to Live Forever golf dot com and remember remember it's for the player, not the game. So use code nails twenty to get yourself twenty percent off live forever golf dot com their nails check them out. Pete and I have talked about this a bunch, dude. It's it's like people are golf fans. They really don't care. They're going to watch whatever. You don't think someone wants to watch, like Rory or rom You don't you think someone doesn't want to watch like Cam Smith. The comments section is where, like you know, people just start making shit up the whole time, where it just seems like it's the you know whatever Biden versus Trump and all this other crap like that it's so stupid, but like we'll watch. I mean, you're crazy to not want to watch Rory, you know when he's playing his best. Same with same with DJ when he's playing his best. But you guys talked about the dumb policies for you know is content and you know they don't show every single shot on the PG tour, Like if somebody is there and it's a random shot that they're recording and they show it, like who cares. It's like a moment in time no one will ever see again. I just told Pete like, I was a million over in the Byron Nelson and I found the club face for the first time in like the whole round and I hit it to like a foot on the seventeenth hole last year, and the cameras were rolling on one of those stream channels, right, it wasn't like real TV. So I like a screenshot and recorded it, and like within an hour, of course, it's I'm like, wha first only good shot of the week, blah blah blah. It's like your account will be suspended if you. I was like, I hit the fucking shot. Like it was me hitting the shot. Like it's not like I'm sitting in front of my TV when the broadcast is going and then putting it on my own channel with my own sponsors. It's like, literally, I hit the shot right there and they're like, no, sorry. I was like, this is the dumbest shit I've ever heard in my life.
Speaker 1: But that's how it goes.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned you mentioned that you were like you and Gregor boys, all right, did you take the picture of him running on the beach.
Speaker 2: No? I did not. Let's set the record straight there, that did not happen that man, that's funny though, like the people people are asking, you know, people need to know these answers. It wasn't me, but what a oh, what a picture, man, geez I.
Speaker 3: So that's the best Halloween costume of last year. Really, if someone could have pulled it off. I tried to pull it off. I didn't have the hair, I didn't have the I didn't have the pex or the abs, and I didn't have the peace.
Speaker 1: So like it was, it was over about nine making it.
Speaker 3: Happen, and I didn't have a beach, and I didn't have a beach either.
Speaker 2: So I did a home course episode with him, and he's, uh, a well cultured guy, right, like you mean he played all over the world when he played on tour, but then he travels off a lot now and whatnot as well. But like he had this big wooden penis like right in front of his house, like on this like counter, and we kept going, you know, like usually before we start filming, we'll do a tour and you know, get to lay of the land and then it's not scripted, like I didn't. I got the idea off the MTV cribs. But none of these golfers are like charismatic enough to be like, welcome to my house, man, like open the door, like, right, come in here. You're like you probably get like two or three guys who could do that and like kill it. But like for me, I'm like, all right, I guess I gotta be in this. We'll do like a walk and talk and I always try to find ways that, like, hey, can we talk about something that, like, you know, would be cool that people wouldn't know. Can we talk about like maybe you got charity stuff like goots yesterday, like him and his wife started a foundation, but it's a cool story, Like there's a really cool thing of how that began. So I gave him that platform to talk about that. I want things to be like win wins, right, So with Greg, like this is more of a win for me and like, but we we were able to talk about live. This is before things really got moving. But he was confirmed, like for the first time publicly, like players had signed on that episode, and so we got some good info. But when we're going back and forth between rooms, I see this big wooden dick and I'm like, what is this? Like why do you have this? His house is unbelievable and his wife's an interior decorator for like some of the highest in hotels in the world, and so their home is like you could imagine, there's no like expense spirits beautiful.
Speaker 1: This wooden dicks.
Speaker 2: Ever, there's this wooden penis, and I'm like, so he catches He catches me like looking at it and pointing it to like put the camera guy or whatever, and he goes, oh. He's like, he's like, do you want to know about that? And I'm like, well, yeah, of course, you know. And so he told me the story and I was like, well, we got to film this, you know. But basically he was in the city. I don't even know what country. It is, in a tiny country, but they like worship the male reproductive organ and so like he's like, you go into this church and there's justises everywhere. You go into these stores and they have penises, and he goes, you went on the street and they're like carving penises like out of woods back and he's like, so I just you know, this young lady was carving a penis right there, and he goes, I thought it was just really cool. And he's like, so I peyter her and got one you know, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, I was like, all right, dude, but yeah, I brought up He's like it's a small it's a little small, but it'll work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not. I brought up picture of them and all that stuff. I mean, he's got a good sense of him where he's he's fine.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 2: Greg's a he's an interesting guy. I mean he's he's very confident, let's put it that way. And I know that's why a lot of people don't like him, because he's a confident guy and people look at that as he's super self serving and stuff. But I think it's interesting with their league because he is you know, when you you've heard the term in football like players coach, right, Like he's like that as a CEO, Like he really does have these players interest in mind, like and he knows some of the things I think that you know, he had as a disadvantage as a player on the tour that could have been better, which I think he tried to make changes earlier on and got pushed out for that. But he has their their interest in mind. He's he's created you know, this league with with others and you know, financially it's a huge impact for these players, but ultimately the rest is up, you know, to be determined what's going to come of it. I mean a lot of guys at Tory were privately are like, you know, I hope the leagues come together, Like I hope that we can do something together, like they like, they like what they see how to live. I think a lot of people are afraid to step out and you know, become that villain or the defector because it does impact you, not only on the fans side, but pocketbook too. I mean, yeah, sponsors that are running away from these players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had Hudson Swafford on was that Colleen? Right before the National Championship? We had hot On and I specifically asked him, you know, it's straight up because it's been rumored around Sea Island, Georgia where he lives that there's people that just won't talk to him. He's not allowed to go to certain places. Now, it's like, have you lost friends over going to living? He said, yeah, Like I've lost friendships. I've mended a few, Like there was a couple where I had to sit down and have a tough conversation with them blah blah blah. But those are fine out and there's just people that won't talk to him anymore. And I think it's just fucking bullshit.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: It's just it's like if you start another job where you're getting paid ten times more than you were, and it's jealousy. I was like, dude, this guy's just got to be jealousy. I mean, you're making one more money than they are, you're doing less work. That's ultimately what everyone wants to do, and you know, he was just one of the first people to have the nuts to go over there and do it, and that's that's effectively what it is. But you're right. I mean, the guys that told you at TORI that they want the two leagues to come together, I don't think that'll ever happen. I don't think they'll ever merge. But as far as you know, relationships being ended and then accepting that there are two, I think that will happen because you know what unlimited money, right, I mean, they're not going anywhere, so at the very.
Speaker 2: Least, how cool would be if there was a like a ryder Cup type of deal between the two leagues. Talk about viewership, I mean, because ultimately it does come down to money. Money speaks volumes, and that money doesn't even have to be Saudi money for that to happen. Like, but can you imagine those two leagues ultimately having a two to three day match against each other. I mean it would be absolutely electric. I mean yeah, it would be content heaven for one, it would be the viewership would be through the roof. And you've got at the highest level of players in both leagues. You've got the best, you know, it'd be it'd be pretty cool to see and hopefully, like at the very least, that's something maybe we can get. Because the President's Cup, the international team, I'll give them this, They had a lot of heart and Trevor Emmlment is a great guy, and like I'd love to see like how they battled it out. They did way better than I thought they would. But President's Cup isn't quite righter Cup. You know, It's like it'd just be cool to throw something else like that in there, But who knows.
Speaker 3: PD and I, dude, I agree with you one hundred percent. PD and I were like talking about the President's Cup before and then like credit to them, and like Tom Kim obviously emerges as a star all this other stuff, but we're like, what's the point of this thing, Like it's going to be one hundred to zero.
Speaker 1: I don't know how many points.
Speaker 3: Are available, but like throw a little Live versus PGA Tour action and this thing is going to be.
Speaker 1: This thing's going to be amazing.
Speaker 3: Obviously they didn't do that, and shit, those guys played their asses off. I mean they were that was underdog central right there, you know, going into that, and they've lost star. I mean the tour, the PGA Tour. I don't even know if Koepka would have made the team. I guess DJ might have been the only shoe in maybe that would have made that team. But then the the internationals were down, like they're, you know, five out of their top six dudes, So yeah, they just would have got would have got roasted. But that's that would be that would be fun for sure, man. I Mean it's a different mindset on tour. Like if somebody is if they're well established in infinity money, it doesn't matter. But if someone's may miss like ten cuts in a row they made zero dollars, they're gonna be on edge on tilt, ready to get pissed.
Speaker 1: Like live golf.
Speaker 3: If someone has like one hundred million guaranteed and they're shooting you know, hockey sticks every round, it's like, make fun of me. I'm lapping all the way to the bank the whole time. Like whatever the mindset is probably changes a little. Same with other sports, dude.
Speaker 2: There's other sides to the live thing that I felt LIV missed the mark on though last year where they didn't share. But like I give you, I'll give you an example you had. I think Henny Dupless this I think so I'd pronounced his last name, but he he was part of Charles Schortzel's team in London and so but Henny took like I want to say, he was top five individual placer and then they won the team deal. And if you won the team deal, I think it was like seven hundred and fifty k a guy. Well, Henny's career earnings like weren't that that much. I mean he was playing on like the Asian Tour, some DP world events and stuff, and like hadn't made a lot of money. Well, all of a sudden, he made like two million plus dollars in one weekend, playing three days in London. You know, and when when I'm on the range. He's like like one thing I saw, I lived that. I really thought it was cool. Was like the ranges were like partitioned off by team, and the first week, like the four Aces had a little bit of a different team because like Patrick Reed hadn't signed yet and so they had a guy I can't think of his name, but like I personally never heard of him, right, and like DJ's on the range of them, like helping him, talking to him, like cutting it up with them and stuff like never seen DJ do that at the range the PJ Tour events, you know ever, And I was like, this is pretty cool to see, like these guys kind of come together that never would have their past never would have crossed, you know at all. And not the Dustin's a bad guy at all. It's just he probably never have given this guy at the time of day ever, you know, even if he came out to him like, hey man, you want to come look at my swim, give me a couple of pointers like he did, like what like yeah, So, I mean seeing all that was pretty cool. But like going back to Henny though, I saw him at the next event because I enjoyed my time in London. I was like, I want to go to the first one in the United States to see how it goes, how the fans react, And so I went out to the one in Portland. And when I talked to Henny on the putting Green and congratulated him, I mean he was He literally was talking to me. He had tears in his eyes about how because he did. He's not a player who got a signing bonus, He's not a player who had any guarantees with live He was going to have to like continue to earn his way to keep coming back. But he risked a lot by doing that because he didn't know what that meant to him for the dp World Tour at that time. He knew what it meant at the PGA Tour, which he wasn't on. But he he did it, and then it changed his life. Like he made more that week than maybe his whole career earnings or maybe equaled it. I don't I don't know exactly the number, but it literally.
Speaker 1: Changed his life.
Speaker 2: And then he gave it gave him the most confidence to go out there the rest of the season and play freely and play his game and stuff. And those are stories that are pretty freaking cool man like, and you get those on the tour too, or like a guy out of nowhere it goes and wins and doors open up for him and stuff. But it's it's good all around. I just it's you got the haters and all that stuff. Hopefully in time things change.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Now they're on the CW. So you know, after you tune into Dawson's Creek or whatever, you're gonna be able to watch some live golf and you know, get some more fans.
Speaker 3: Perfect it's like perfect man, So we'll see that is good. That that it's I mean that it's on there.
Speaker 1: I don't don't.
Speaker 3: I couldn't tell you another show that's on there. Honestly, obviously Dawson's Creek was that was Nail Speck.
Speaker 2: Well I googled, so when I came out, I said, like, there's memes here, you know, And so I was like, so I was looking at Gossip Girl as one that's big you have, like the old Superman Shi was on there. There's some good shows, some bangers, you know, we'll see. I don't know if the wright audience, but apparently though the CW is on our new leadership and they want to grow aggressively and all that. So, I mean it would be matchmen in heaven, man. I mean, at the end of the day, they had to get it somewhere. And although the YouTube broadcast wasn't.
Speaker 1: Bad, it wasn't bad. We talked about this on FTP too, But you know, and I made the argument, I don't know, you know what kind of facts there are on this or whatever. We don't. We don't dabble in facts on this pot.
Speaker 2: But the.
Speaker 1: Clubhouses, the locker rooms, the pro shops at golf courses all over the world, they don't change channels. Those motherfuckers stay at Golf Channel all the time, right, All that's it. So I don't know how many how the percentage of the PGA Tour's ratings come from channels that never get changed in all of those places. Probably a good amount, probably a lot, but that's probably that was one of the problems with lives. Your ratings are terrible. Well, a lot of it has to do with you know, this sixty five year old man. The GM at all these country clubs, most of these are they don't know how to get YouTube broadcast on their TVs, right, They just don't know how to do it now that it's on a channel, Maybe some of those don't get changed on ten to twenty percent of the TVs in locker rooms, But I think that was a big part of their deal last year's They just they couldn't have that channel that never gets changed in the locker rooms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, how are you going to go and stream all that at Buffalo Wild? Wings can't stream one hundred TVs on YouTube and expect the quality to be worth their shit watching it.
Speaker 1: So I mean, it's just ain't gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to definitely open some more doors for them, and it's going to bring in new fans to all the gossip Girl you know, freaks are going to just love Cam Smith's luscious locks and all that stuff. I mean, it's we'll see, it's going to be He'll be good. But to go back to what you're talking to though about Hudson, I was with them at the range and I don't if he told you this story, but we were on the range together in Portland and he got a text from one of the top golfers in the world and it was a bad text. It was just like a text like of just sheer disappointment, you know, like I can't believe you did this, and you know you and I will never like talk again or something. I don't know exactly he showed it to me, but I don't know exactly what I said. It was something along those lines like you and I are done, I'm not going to talk to you again or whatever. And he's like, I never even talked to this guy. He's like, he's like, you know, like maybe a couple of times, you know, He's like, but he really sent me this text, Like he went out of his way to send me this text to say that. And I'm like, wow, like and it was a player that that's where everybody loves, big name and I was just like, that's just I was shocked. I was like, this is because to your point, man, when I ran that National Dealer program. Going back to my job, it was my livelihood, right I have mouse if you've got kids, and and like, so it was my job to not only bring in new authorized dealers, but to make them successful and help them grow. And my number one dealer, who was my best friend at the time, left he went to another dealer program because they paid him more. And I obviously, like I cared about the financial stability of our company, but like I did everything I could to like offer him the top maximum pay, and then sometimes it's beyond pay, right, it's like what other perks can we do to give you? I did everything I could, But he left, Yeah, and it hurt man, Like it hurt my paycheck that next year, because you know, it hurt the program. But he was still one of my best friends. Like he did what was good for him and his family, and the offer he got, he would have been an idiot to not take it.
Speaker 1: That goes back to golfers being soft basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you're right, just softest can be because you know Cam's Smith. Leaving doesn't hurt Justin Thomas. If anything, it helps him, like Justin now maybe has less competition to where he can maybe win in more events or something. It's not gonna hurt his paycheck more money for he helped. Yeah, Yeah, the tour just upped all this money and stuff they found it, you know, hanging out under Monahan's couch or whatever. It's like it's like at the end of the day, like he helped him, So why be salty? You know, it's like just hey man, you made the businesses move on, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well uh that's that's pretty much all we got for you. We've got to roll out here in two minutes. I know it's kind of an abrupt, you know, hard stop here, but uh, we're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna stop it right there. That's Travis Miller with PGA Memes.
Speaker 2: This is FTP.
Speaker 1: We'll see you all next week.