Speaker 1: While the twilight Zone Podcast takes a short summer hiatus. Tonight, I bring to you another episode from the archives over in the After Hours Club Patreon dot com slash twilight Zone Podcast. And if you're a new listener to the twilight Zone Podcast, this isn't generally how the show goes. We tend to focus more on episodes of the twilight Zone, but over in the After Hours Club, I diversify into all things sailing, and on the episode that I'm going to bring to you tonight, way back in twenty nineteen, I used to do a kind of magazine show over there called The Fifth Dimension, where I would look at other road sailing related work. Orse sometimes it would be reading a short story. But in this particular episode, I join up with my friend Al Shades Murder, presenter of Presenting, Alfred Hitchcock Presents to talk about an episode of stud Judo one which was written by Rod Sailing, called The Strike. And it's one of two episodes that Alan I did looking at some really really early sailing work. So I will put the other one out in maybe a week's time or something, but for now I'll hand you over to twenty nineteen Tom Elliott to introduce you to the fifth dimension and the strike. I'm going to begin tonight's show with a quote within a quote, and I'm taking it from Nick Parici's book Rod Sailing, His Life, Work and Imagination, in which he puts a quote from Mark Zickery's Twilight's Own Companion, in which he quotes Rod Sailing. So it starts out with some words from Sailing himself, and he says, a lot of these early scripts were rough, underdeveloped, hurried. Some were still pretty bad stuff. And then Zickary carries on, but to be fair, it should be said that if they were bad, at least they were bad in the right direction. A quality which could be seen in these scripts, even as it can be seen in Sailings later scripts for the Twilight Zone, was that even the waste of them revealed a primary concern for people and their problems. Sometimes the situations were cliched, the characters too dimensional, but always there was at least some search for an emotional truth, some attempt to make a statement on the human condition. So this is in a section of the book that is looking at Rod Sailing's early early work. Now we've all heard of patterns we've all heard of Requiem for a Heavyweight, But what else was going on around that time? Because Rod Sailing was gathering some steam in his wake, you know, having these moments where he knocked out the park with those kinds of plays, but also he was still developing his he was still feeling his way through the world of television and finding out that it could be a very frustrating place. So in a two part show, I'm joined by a longtime friends of the show, Al Shardsman, and we're going to talk about two of those early Sailing plays. And these aired on a show called Studio One, and it was one of those early American anthologies that just ran and ran. It had about ten seasons and four hundred and sixty seven episodes, and pretty much anyone who was anyone either wrote it, directed it, or starred in it at that time. And it wasn't so much an anthology in the sense that the Twilight Zone is, or even the forerunner to the Twilight Zone Tales of Tomorrow, where it does have a sort of overriding feeling to it. Studio One was more a time and a space just to put plays on television. So it's a little different from how we view television today or even when we get to the Twilight Zone. So let's jump over to my chat with Al when we begin looking at our facet story tonight. I welcome back, you know, one of the best friends of the Twilight Zone podcast. My good friend Al shared Al. Did I pronounce your name right?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: You did? Close enough anyway, Okay, yeah, yeah, I'll take that.
Speaker 1: We're off to a good start. Then it'll probably be downhill from here. We'll see, we'll see. Al. You brought to my attention a couple of shows that Rod Sailing did before before he started the Twilight Zone. So why don't you just sort of tell us about the release that you discovered these shows on.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I was looking for Serling dramas anything available on DVD, and one of them I discovered was this set put out by the Archive of American Television called Rod Serling Studio one Dramas, and it's two episodes from Studio one Westinghouse. Studio Westinghouse, the television program from the early fifties, early to mid fifties, and one of them is The Strike from nineteen fifty four and the other is The Arena from nineteen fifty six, and they're fascinating in terms of early Serling work. I think the Strike Surling wrote when he was twenty nine years old, and which is pretty impressive when you look at it, I think, and only mid in his early thirties for the Arena, so they pre date the Twilight Zone by a good four to six years. And they are certainly part of the education that he had in television that led him to decide to do The Twilight Zone. So I think that they are. They may not be as important in the in the Serling of as requen for a Heavyweight and patterns and things like that, but they're definitely part of the building blocks of his career and and show him developing as a playwright. Actually, because they really are essentially plays for television. Uh they there's there's very limited sets and I'm pretty sure they were done live, so you know, you had to work them out in the same way that you would in the theater, where if somebody has to go on to a different set, you have to have a moment where they can get there, So you have to have a little bit of a little bit of transition writing. So they're real education. I think for a writer too.
Speaker 1: That's a good point you mentioned there, because you know Studio One. I suppose in some ways you could call it an anthology, but it doesn't seem like an anthology to me in the same way that the Twilight Zone is, or like you know, Night Gallery or Tells in the Crypto or whatever. It really is just a series of plays, isn't it, rather than a sort of an anthology with a similar kind of theme, because they could be anything. I mean, these two stories, we've got a war story and we have a political sort of drama as well, So it doesn't seem like an anthology in the same sense as I would normally think of an anthology if you see what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yes, the anthologies like Twilight Zone or Alfred Hitchcock presents, those sorts of things have some overriding theme or overwriting presence, whether it's Sling or Hitchcock or whatever. These arearly just shows that did plays on television. I think Playhouse ninety was pretty much like that too. It was a thing in early television, which is actually a shame that it doesn't exist anymore. The there's an ad on the front of this DVD set that I have advertising another collection of Studio One dramas and they list with some of them are and they're all vastly different. One of them is the original Twelve Angry Men, Oh wow. So yeah, and then there's something that has Seal Minio in it, and there's something that's Jack Lemon in it, and they're all just individual plays, completely distinct. So yeah, you know, the fact that Serling was able to crack this is you know. I mean, we look at Twilight Zone now and Playhouse ninety and think of those as being like, you know, the real pinnacles for Serling, but I think being on Studio One was as well, and it established him, along with Playhouse ninety, as being one of the top playwrights for television in the early fifties, along with Patty Chaiyevsky and Reginald Rose. In fact, I was reading somewhere, I'm not sure if it's in Nick Pees's book or if it was in the little liner notes that came with this DVD that Gorvi Dal put out a collection of the best plays for television in the fifties, and one of them is The Strike. So it was established Serling. I think in ways that he actually you know, went on from there, but it certainly is I think a major part of his career.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: You referred to Nick Perici's book then, and obviously I referred to it too, because if anyone wants to know more about this era of sailing, it's indispensable, really, isn't it. It's fantastic in that regard. You know, it covers so much stuff that I didn't even know about, in such great details. It is like an expanded Twilight zoned Companion in a way. He goes into all these things, he digs up letters and so on, and if he's to be believed, which of course why not. The arena is actually quite important in a sense beyond what actually ends up on screen. But we'll get to that in a minute, because we let's start off with our first story, which is called the Strike.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry I paused the unforgivable question. You never mentioned fear in front of enlisted man? Do you I mean letting them know that an officer might be afraid to.
Speaker 5: Chaplains have guy blanche In that respect, you can ask any you want.
Speaker 4: You're the Army's chosen people. And at the point of interest, major, are you afraid twenty hunting for Chaplin reassurance.
Speaker 5: I'm fresh out of reassurance. You see out there, that's our escape route, the only one available. I've got to lead these men through it in less than three hours, and across the river the Chinese are setting it up, artillery, setting it up someplace to look right, smack down our throats, just waiting for our.
Speaker 4: Withdrawal, and then let us have it mature. I'd like to be able to help you take some of the weight off.
Speaker 5: Ask God to deliver a patrol of twenty men I sent across that river. Deliver them safe and sound.
Speaker 2: There right stations over here, Captain.
Speaker 5: Tell Captain Sloane, I sent you. You're at his disposal. Everything from bandaging to last rites.
Speaker 1: First broadcast June seventh, nineteen fifty four, Written by Rod Sailing and directed by Franklin Jay Shaffner, North Korea, January nineteen fifty one. Major Gaylord commands more than five hundred soldiers hold up in a farmhouse on the banks of a river, surrounded by enemy and with virtually no escape route. With dozens of wounded and dying men, it looks increasingly likely that the troops will need to move out from their location, even though it will be a virtual suicide mission. One day earlier, Gaylord ordered a platoon of twenty men to head out on patrol to ascertain the strength and exact location of the enemy. But they have not retained and Gaylord's men have been unable to reach them by radio. As the situation grows more desperate, Gaylord agonizes over his decision to send out those twenty men. Command orders them to move out the following morning, leaving behind the platin its fate unknown. Shortly after receiving these orders, however, the missing platoon re establishes radio contact and communicates their position. Another message from command follows Air Force planes have spotted the enemy artillery and will provide cover simultaneous with the withdrawal of Gaylord's men. They will need only Gaylord's signal to begin bombing the enemy's location, which is exactly the same as that of the platoon. To some of his men, Gaylord's dilemma is no dilemma at all. Simple mathematics says it makes sense to sacrifice twenty men to save five hundred, But Gayload sees nothing simple about ordering the deaths of twenty of his own men and refuses to give the signal. The strike is a war story, something that clearly Sailing has carried throughout his career, the war stories and so on. It's a reg killer feature in the Twilight Zone. But this is an early war story with familiar Twilight Zone face in it, which is good. Yes, So let's let's just get into this one. Al, let's just you know, what are you what are some thoughts on this? On the strike?
Speaker 3: Well, the Strike is I've found it fascinating in that it essentially is a play where nobody really changes.
Speaker 1: It's it's.
Speaker 3: It's a city, and the situation doesn't change, so it becomes a philosophical exercise essentially. It's really it's really an exercise in utilitarianism. To put that into popular culture references, it's like what mister Spock says in The Wrath of Khan, which is the the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the or the one. So essentially you have a situation where you have major Gaylord played by James Daily, who is curmudgeonly and sort of against being a commanding officer right from the beginning, who is in a Sophie's choice to some extent, a no win situation in which he has sent out a platoon of twenty men across a river. This is in North Korea. This is during the Korean War, which only ended, like I think a year before this was shown, so it's something that's very current for the viewers at the time. And he has sent a platoon out to scout out where the enemy artillery might be. But they build a bridge which they have to destroy, and then they get trapped themselves in their own location, so they have to retreat. But they know that the enemy artillery will obliterate them once they start to retreat. So the only answer to that is that the army will send in the Air Force will send in planes that will commit an air strike. And that's what the strike is in the episode. If you look at the title without seeing anything else, you figure it's going to be, you know, like a union strike or something. Yeah, yeah, No, it's an air bombing strike. The problem is that the platoon that the major has sent out is in the same location as the enemy artillery, so that in order for the bombers to successfully let the five hundred men who are on the other side of the river, that are trying to retreat successfully retreat. The twenty men who are on, who are in the platoon are going to have to die. And what's interesting about the whole story, I think, is that the major goes through all these pangs of conscience and blames himself for sending the platoon out to begin with, and yet ultimately he has no choice, which is powerful, but is at the same time it's kind of frustrating when you're watching it, because again, you know, he has to decide it's cut and dried. There's no way out of the situation. So he either has to save five hundred men or he has to save twenty men, and ultimately there's no decision there, but it devastates him. It reminds me of the Tom Godwin story The Cold Equations, which was actually made into a Twilight Zone in the third season of the eighties Twilight Zone. And the whole point of the Cold Equations, which is why it's called the Cold Equations, is that there are certain things that are just so in terms of math or physics or whatever that there's nothing you can do about. And it's interesting in that in the Cold Equations, I don't want to say too much, but it's a It takes place sometime in the future, and there's a guy who has got his own personal spaceship. He's hauling cargo or something from one planet to another, and he discovers that there is a young girl who has stowed away on his spaceship because she wants to go see her father or something like that. And the problem is he now weighs too much to land successfully and his ship is stripped down to begin with. So the Cold equations, are you weigh too much? What are you going to do? There's no solution to that, And it's and it's tough, and it's and it's hard, but there's noating around it.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: What I read about with the eighties Twilight Zone jumping ahead to what you'll be dealing with somewhere down the line here, is that there was one studio executive who refused to accept the whole point of the Cold equations and suggested that because in the Cold Equations, the only solution is and I'm spoiling this like crazy, is that is that he has to jettison the girl out of the ship, has to kill her, and there's no other way around it. But there was a studio exec who who apparently came up with this great idea that he suggested, which is that at the at the end of the show, the ship opens up and the girl comes out. She's all right because the pilot has cut off his legs and sent them out. So so, and then whoever was writing the the the.
Speaker 5: It might been J.
Speaker 3: Michaels Strazinski, I'm not sure whoever was writing the teleplay at that time, said well, you know, this sort of defeats the whole point of the story, which is the cold equations. So anyway, this is sort of the same kind of thing. There's really no getting around it, which makes it a little bit frustrating. I also think it's a little bit.
Speaker 1: Cheating.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit harsh to say that on Serling's part in that the only guy in the entire group that is fighting against this decision is the major. Everybody else tells him he has to do it. He has to do what he has to do it, which makes it sort of easier for him ultimately to do it. I think there should be more guys that are sort of on the fence. But in any event, you know, even though it's sort of a foregone conclusion to watch the major sort of which you watch the major work through it's not even really acceptance that this has to be done on but you watch them work through acceptance of command, right, and that is I think really powerful and works really well.
Speaker 1: I said before we started record now that I struggled a little bit, and I'll tell you what I struggled because a lot of it I put on my own back kind of thing, because it's so much television from another time, isn't it in the way it's presented, you know, like the Twilight Zone. I don't think you really need to make many, if any concessions for because the form is still there. But this is so you know, they're talking about guys who are elsewhere. They're talking about a bridge, they're talking about you know, air strikes. They're talking about so many things that aren't there and we never see. So it's all got to be conveyed with weirds and you know, there's a lot of guys there. I kept getting mixed up with with who was who and it was you know, and I purely admit that this is you know, that was the art form at the time, that was television, and that's the way it was. So it's like I struggle watching silent movies. I can't. I really struggle watching them because it's just such a different experience. And it was similar with this, you know. I got to about twenty minutes in and I paused it to see how long it was, and it said twenty minutes, and I thought I'd been watching it for an hour, you know. Was it was very slow at times. I was confused. But it's like watching Game of Thrones in a way. Half the time you don't know who anyone is and who's related to who, but you just sort of get the gist of it as you go along, you know what I mean, And by the end you're kind of fine and you know what's going on and who everyone is. But I think that the form of it was quite a struggle for me. You seem to have adapted to it a lot better than me, you know.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, let me say that, as a lover of silent movies, if you see them the way they're intended, then you can really appreciate them. They're really a different art form than regular movies, and if you think of them as just regular movies, then you'll see all the gaps and the weaknesses in them. But if you can see them in a theater with a big screen and either a live organist or a live orchestra, it's a totally different matter. I've actually been, you know, for my Hitchcock podcast, I've been looking at I recently watched several of the silent Hitchcock films and I'm just getting them on YouTube and such, and on those you either have no sound whatsoever, or they just have some generic soundtrack they put on there, and in both cases they're very hard to watch, but that's never the way they were intended. Anyway, Enough of that digression, I think that you know, the way to look at these Studio one things is not necessarily as television, but as theater as plays. You could take the strike and you could put it on stage, and there's essentially what there's like three sets in the whole thing. There's the main camp where they are they go outside a few times, and then there's a spot where they have a tent where the wounded are, and you could set that up on a stage and do this script exactly the way it's written for Studio one, and I think you would deal with it a lot better because you'd recognize that you're watching a play and it's on stage. The fact that it's suddenly on your TV screen makes it seem some to be something sort of alien and it might be hard to get into. But the other thing is, as you know, is, as we said, the Korean War had just ended, so people watching this at the time were very familiar with a lot of this kind of stuff. I assume it is sort of difficult to watch it and say, Okay, they're talking about a bridge and they blew up the bridge, and there's a strike, and where's the enemy, you know, and it's the Chinese, and where's the artillery and you know and so on. So I missed a lot of that my first viewing of it. It was really only the second viewing, when I was paying really close attention that I figured out, oh, yeah, well they built this bridge and these guys went across the bridge, but then they had to blow up the bridge and all this sequence of events that sort of, you know, inevitably leads to this unsolvable situation. The other thing that I think that I appreciate about it because it is like a play you don't really have, like a musical soundtrack. There's no musical more playing. It's all very much just guys on stage doing these things. I appreciated the way Serling with his dialogue sort of creates this tone. And he not only creates the tone just amongst the harsh things these guys are talking about, you also have like this, but becomes almost this background sound of the one the radio man who is constantly going out with Razor Red. This is Razor blue CP, Razor Red, This is Razor Blue CP, over and over. It becomes like this thing that's just it becomes the soundtrack. Essentially, this pems the score of these words in the background. When you have the scene in the medical tent, there's a guy who's so shell shocked. All he does is he says his name and his home address over and over and over again, and he becomes sort of this background sound. So there's this background sound of human voices, some of which are in despair, that I think also become like the equivalent of which your score would be. And I think that my guess is that Serling intended that, and I think it's really works really well. It's really powerful.
Speaker 1: Now. One thing that I didn't struggle with was our major gay lord who is played by James Daly, who, of course is from a stop of Willoughby. Maybe my favorite Twilight, don't. I don't know. I'll decide that at the end, when all is said and done. Oh, I can't wait in about twenty years time. But you know, it was so good to see him, Because you know, I'm not a scholar of this era of cinema. I can't say I've seen him in anything else. I might have done and not realized it. But you know, to see him as got Williams this sort of guy who's cracking up. But here he's maybe cracking up to a degree, but for a whole different reason. And he's more of a grizzled sort of military man, but not completely. He's got, you know, this element to him of doubt about what he's doing. Like you said, so, I really enjoyed James Daily in this. I think he's almost out of time. I find I think he's like an actor from another era. Personally, he's a bit more naturalistic than a lot of actors of the time, I think. So what do you think of him?
Speaker 3: Oh, I think he's tremendous in this. He conveys this weariness and everything that's going on with with that that group, that platoon. It's cold, they don't have any food, they're tired, they're shell shocked. He conveys all of that in like in his look and in his voice. He loses control, often ends up screaming at people for little reason, and it all feels very real. I actually think the other guys around him are really good too. I can't remember what their names are offhand, but they are actors who were in a lot of TV in like the fifties and sixties. So the guy who plays Chick, and then the other guy who is I can't remember his name, Frank's.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: I think those two guys are excellent as well, and they also they just sort of fit into this whole feeling of this weariness of war, which I think a lot of what Serling is trying to convey in this is that weariness of war that he experienced that I think affected him his whole life. And you can see how this is going to affect these guys their whole lives. James Daily, clearly it's going to affect him because he's made this decision that's going to haunt him, but you can see how it's affecting the other guys as well. There's a line that I wrote down which I think that I think is a great line where that convey in its own way what war does to people. And it's I can't remember who says it. It's Frank's or Chick or one of those guys talking about how the James Daily character is not commanding, he's not leading because he's not making the decision that he has to make to have these twenty men in this platoon killed. And the line is one of them says, in times of sanity, it might be called an attribute his conscience, but this is not times of sanity, and it's not an attribute. So I thought that was one. You know, there's a lot of little lines, a lot of really great Surling esque lines in there that convey these sorts of horrors of war.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some great little stories as well. A new Wunda kind of because he does bring in like he would often use the names of his old soldiers that he knew in his fiction. It wouldn't surprise me if some of them are in this. But he tells the story about the guy who's coming to camp and he doesn't give the password. He doesn't give the sort of secret wed and the reason is because he's being followed by Japanese soldiers. So he's like he sacrifices himself because he knows they're going to spray bullets down there and kill him, but also the Japanese soldiers. So there's some great little stories like that in there as well, isn't there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's that is a real character building part of the James Daily character is that's that's a story he tells when he was in World War two and and he he's amongst the guys that are asking for the password, and it's not him, it's the other guy he's with, who essentially says spray them that he has to kill him. He hasn't given isn't giving the password, And that turns out to be the right thing to do. So that's a lesson in terms of you know, this is this war and sometimes the moral thing or the thing that you really want to do is not what you do. I did find it interesting though, that later in the show there's a couple that there's a there's a British officer comes in with a chaplain and somebody reports to the Major and says there's this British guy out there and he doesn't know the password, and the Major says, well, let him in one of the time. So so he, you know, he goes against exactly what he seemed to have learned before, which once again demonstrates that he's he really can't conform to what war is forcing upon him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, okay. You sound pretty positive on this one, Alan, and I am too, because I did like it. It's something that I would really like to go back to. I'm just trying to climatize to a bit more, if you know what I mean. So I don't I don't know whether we can sort of rate it or what, but just what's your overall kinds of opinion of it.
Speaker 3: Well, I like it quite a bit, though I do feel like, as I said earlier, that it sort of stacks the deck in one direction, not just the not just the hopelessness of the situation, but the fact that the Major seems to be the only guy who's fighting against it. I mean, even the chaplain essentially tells him, you know, this is what God is telling you to do. So that to me is a weakness in it that he sort of helped along in his decision. He's sort of caught in these rapids, you know, of opinion that it doesn't make it any easier to his conscience, but there's no way he can make another decision. I think there's no way he can make another decision anyway. So I think it would work better if you had less of everybody saying Major, you have to do it, you have to do it, you have to do it. I mean there's even a moment where he wants to just give up command and he says, you know, one of you other guys give the order, and they say, no, you're in charge. You have to do it. So it's like, you know, to a great extent, the script and everybody around him in the script forces him into this corner, which I find less than satisfying. But otherwise I think it's really powerful and it shows the horrors of war and how sometimes there's just no good decision, and it shows how people can be tormented by it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think if I look at it overall, I did struggle a bit, But like I said, that may be more of an acclimatization thing. Could it have been a bit shorter probably. You know, it's interesting that Sailing wanted to make The Twilight Zone an hour in the beginning, but he soon sort of realized that half an hour was the right format for it. And I wonder whether this would have benefited as to being a bit shorter. But at the end of the day, is that just me being not used to this style of television. So the jury's out on that one. We'll see, but I think people should definitely watch it. It's out there on YouTube, it's easy to find, or or they can get that DVD release that you've got as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I would agree actually that it would be better if it was shorter. He's clearly written to just as they often did on television, you know, until recently. Actually it was always on television. He was clearly written to a length, and this is an hour show, so he has to write something that is essentially an hour long. So yeah, I agree that it probably would have been more powerful shorter, but I think it still works pretty well.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to stop it there for this month, and next month we'll be looking at another episode of Studio one written by Rod Sailing, So join us then, on the fifth Dimension. Good Night for now,