Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and kost In HT two, Los Angeles, Orange.
Speaker 3: County and Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, it is five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, September eleventh.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's the anniversary of nine to eleven, the twenty third anniversary, always so sobering. Do you still remember exactly where you were what you were doing on nine eleven, two thousand and one.
Speaker 4: Never forget.
Speaker 1: I'll be talking more about this, but we'll just suffice it to say, never forget. Also on a happy note, leaving the house this morning, I walked outside and it was cool.
Speaker 4: The air was cool, and I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: So aside from probably the people who are close to the fires where the air quality is so bad, you know, you take a deep breath in and just go, ah, maybe fall, it's just around the corner, it was a nice change.
Speaker 4: So we got a ton going on. Of course, we've got.
Speaker 1: The fires, We've got fired up candidates from the presidential debates. Rich Demiro's fired up about the new iPhone. A show that's on fire with Emmy nominations is the focus of Amy's on it this hour, and that's all coming up in just the next sixty minutes.
Speaker 4: So strap yourself in. We got quite a ride for you this morning.
Speaker 1: Here is what is ahead on wake up Call and the latest on the fires burning in southern California. The fire in the San Gabriel Mountains has exploded to almost forty seven thousand acres, destroying homes and ing communities of right Wood and Mount Baldy. Mandatory evacuations were issued for areas including right Wood, Mount Baldy, and Pinion Hills. Residents of Northern Claremont are under evacuation warnings as the fire moves southeast. A man from Norco has been arrested for allegedly starting the fire in San Bernardino County that's burned more than thirty four thousand acres.
Speaker 4: Evacuations have been ordered for Big.
Speaker 1: Bear, Running Springs, Forest Falls, and other communities as the fire spreads. Major highways leading into Big Bear remain closed as fire crews work to control the blaze. The US has accused Iran of supplying ballistic missiles to Russia. Secretary of State Antony Blincoln says the US had warned Iran that giving missiles to Russia would be seen as a dramatic escalation. We're going to be talking with ABC's Shannon Kingston about what the US plans to do in response, coming up in less than five minutes. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom on more than twenty two thousand acre wildfire in Orange County that started in Tribuco Canyon has been moving towards Lake Elsinore in Riverside County.
Speaker 5: The flames were driven by high heat winds in extremely dry conditions.
Speaker 6: You're looking at three to four foot tall grass with five to eight foot tall chaparral, and then the topography some of these slopes. You can see them right out to the east here. Some of them are barely hikable for even our most fit firefighters.
Speaker 5: That's Tal Hayes with the Cleveland National Forest. The fire started Monday while public works crews were moving large boulders with a front end loader. The flames moved quickly and have even threatened communication towers on Santiago Peak in Rancho Santa Margarita Steve Gregory Campine.
Speaker 1: News responders have been working hard to help people get out of the fire area.
Speaker 4: In the mountains.
Speaker 7: Deputies and police officers have been sounding high low alarms and knocking on doors. Samberdarino County Sheriff spokeswoman Maha Rodriguez says National Guard members have also been deployed, and they're.
Speaker 1: Really focusing on securing those areas that are under an evacuation order, helping us with any kind of voting issues or just any questions or concerns.
Speaker 7: A GPS app is being used to track where people have left their homes, where police couldn't make contact, and where people have chosen to stay in beaumap like trolley k if I Knews.
Speaker 1: Vice President Harrison former President Trump have argued over just about every topic that came up during their first presidential debate. The US withdrawal from Afghanistan was discussed, and Harris criticized Trump's deal with the Taliban.
Speaker 8: Donald Trump, when he was president, negotiated one of the weakest deals you can imagine. He calls himself a deal maker. Even his national security advisor said it was a weak, terrible deal.
Speaker 1: Trump said for eighteen months before the withdrawal. There weren't any problems with the Taliban because of a deal he negotiated with them as president, but he says the Biden Harris administration didn't stick to the agreements.
Speaker 2: Well getting out.
Speaker 9: We would have been out faster than that, but we wouldn't have lost the soldiers, we wouldn't have left many Americans behind, and we wouldn't have left we wouldn't have left a eighty five billion dollars worth of brand new, beautiful military equipment behind.
Speaker 1: Another topic that came up was race. Trump questioned Harris's race again but says he doesn't care. Harris argued Trump called for executing the now exonerated Central Park five in New York. The five teens were wrongfully convicted of raping a woman. A remembrance event is going to be held at the Flight ninety three National Memorial in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. Today marks twenty three years since the nine to eleven attacks, when hijackers took control of four airplanes. Two crashed into the World Trade Center towers in New York, one hit the Pentagon, the other crashed into the field. President Biden and Vice President Harris are expected to make an appearance at the Flight ninety three memorial. Let's say good morning too, ABC's Shannon Kingston. Shannon, the US and UK are making accusations and taking some action against Iran.
Speaker 4: What's going on, good morning?
Speaker 10: Well, that's right. The concern here is that this could open up a new chapter of escalation in Russia's invasion of Ukraine, because now the US and UK they formally accused Ran of supplying Russia with short range missiles. Now, the fear here is that that frees up longer range munitions that Russia could use against areas of Ukraine that have been largely unscathed by the war. I'm talking about Leviv areas near Poland, which of course is a NATO country. And if there's any overlap there, that triggers a whole bunch of concerns about drawing NATO and the US into that conflict.
Speaker 1: Okay, And with this official accusation that the short range ballistic missiles are being supplied to Russia, is this a new development or has it been going on for a while and they're just now acknowledging it.
Speaker 10: It has been percolating for some time. There's been concern, there's been warning from the US and his allies that if Iran does follow through and actually complete these shipments of me missions, there will be consequences. But this is the first time we've actually had official confirmation from the US and the UK. Now, Iran support for Russia's war is not new, of course, They've been giving UAVs and other material support to Russia for months and months now. This is just a step up in that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're actually doing the sanctions, are we're threatening the sanctions?
Speaker 10: We have imposed sanctions. But here's the problem with US sanctions on Iran. There are already a whole lot of them, so there's really not much more that the Biden administration can do at this time. They did roll out sanctions against Iran air that's Iran's main airline, but that has been under sanctioned by the US for more than a decade. What's really consequential here, Potentially, it's the sanctions that are being ruled out by the European allies that's the UK, France, and Germany because they do have more economic overlap with Iran. They've already moved to cut off flights from Iran kind of go back on some of those bilateral flight agreements, and they say they're also looking into imposing their own sanctions and that could crunch Tron's economy further.
Speaker 1: Okay, and do do sanctions now, Shannon, have anything to do with reports that Iran is enriching more uranium and getting closer to having capability to build a nuclear bomb or is it just sort of coincidental?
Speaker 10: Absolutely, well, the sanctions that are already in place, that's what that's the main issue at hand between the US and Iran. Of course, when the US exited the jcpoa that Obama era a nuclear deal that was supposed to constrain around nuclear program, they reimposed every sanction on the book. Some of that was eventually alleviated a bitter in the Biden administration as they were trying to renegotiate that contract. It did allow Iran to increase some of its oil experts oil exports rather, but basically that is still the underlying the elephant in the room, if you will, between the US and Uran, and really European allies are concerned as well. They just don't have the same terror designation on the IRGC that the US does, so that's a difference here.
Speaker 1: Okay, and how does this all vote for the US around our run relationship and discussions of possibly restarting the Iron nuclear Deal.
Speaker 10: I'd say that's been pessimistic that that could possibly happen, especially, you know, heading into we're in't an election year, the election cycle is in full swing. I've seen as politically risky by the Democrats if they were to resume talks on that front. And also there's a lot of political will on either side, it seems because even though Iran has new leadership, allegedly more moderate, it just hasn't been a lot of outreach. And of course, seeing this step here to complete the delivery of missiles to the Kremlin, they you know, Roon knew how this was going to play. They knew it wasn't going to vode well for them. So I think it's a cult relationship that's growing colder.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: And aside from the money, what does Iran get out of supplying the ballistic missile missiles to Russia?
Speaker 10: So the US says that in it, of course money Around's economy is not there's not a lot of revenue options, so this is an important factor. But the US says they're also getting intelligence from Russia, and that intelligence does include connected to nuclear issues. So again, another underlying ferure is that information supplied by Russia could accelerate Auran's already rapidly growing nuclear program and take them closer to being able to develop a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 1: All right, Shannon Kingston, ABC News, thank you so much for explaining everything and giving us some insight into what's going on overseas.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it, of course, thanks for your time. All Right, let's.
Speaker 1: Get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A jury in LA has convicted a homeless man of stabbing a UCLA grad student to death.
Speaker 2: Peter said Sean Smith recorded himself expressing a desire to kill women inside a furniture store in Hancock Park in twenty twenty two. He stabbed Brionna Cooper eleven times, even recording the audio of her final pleas for help. Cooper's mother, Laurie Cooper, says she's grateful for yesterday's verdict.
Speaker 11: The DA didn't a wonderful job and the jury's the jury really listened to the evidence that they heard.
Speaker 2: Smith now faces a sentence of life without parole in downtown La Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Parol has been denied for the Santana High School shooter in San Diego County. And He Williams killed two people and wounded thirteen others in Santee in two thousand and one and was denied parole after serving less than half of his fifty years to life in prison sentence San Diego County DA Summer Stephen says the denial was a relief to the victims' families.
Speaker 12: Their kids are not coming home. They don't have a release date from the death sentence that and Williams gave them, So this is some solace is to have the denial of parole for this horrific act.
Speaker 1: Williams will be back up for parole in just three years. Orange County Supervisor Andrew Doe has been stripped of all board and committee assignments. He has been accused of directing millions of dollars in contracts toward a nonprofit linked to his daughter and didn't disclose her involvement. The supervisors are expected to vote on censuring Dough during its next board meeting. More pregnant women are being forced to travel further to deliver their babies. Or go without pre natal care. A March of Dimes report found that over a third of counties in the US are maternity care deserts. That means they don't have a single doctor, nurse, or midwife who specializes in maternity care. The report predicts the US is going to face a shortage of twelve to fifteen thousand obgyns by twenty fifty one. Angelino, who gave up acting for nearly two decades, is giving it another shot, and now they're there's a movie based on his life story.
Speaker 5: Rich Grosso took a fifteen year hiatus from Hollywood to pay the bills, raise his kids, and be a family man. But now, after years of being burned down, he's stepping into the limelight with a full feature that's loosely based around his life.
Speaker 13: And when I got back on set, it hit me it was like cathartic, like oh my gosh, I gave this up and now I got a second bite at the apple.
Speaker 5: Grosso recruited the talents of award winning short film director and writer Stephen Ward to direct the movie.
Speaker 9: It's about storytelling, and this was storytelling at its best.
Speaker 5: I think Grosso and Wards say the production was made with mostly volunteers. As far as the audience goes, Grosso says, this film isn't really made for Gen Z or millennials, but rather the baby boomer population.
Speaker 13: They're used to going to the movies for what we call their content.
Speaker 5: You know, we used to all going to the movies.
Speaker 13: Now it's where we seek out our content. Well, the knee jerk reaction of that demographic is going to the cinema, and they weren't making this type of film for my generation anymore, and I personally missed it.
Speaker 5: Don't say it is about real people of the Boomer generation that have been kicked around by life and still fight through their demons every day in the pursuit of love and happiness. The movie made its debut on August thirty first at the Studio City International Film Festival, and it's currently in a limited run at the Landmark Pasadena Playhouse until September twelfth. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: Oh that's tomorrow, Andrew, we gotta go see that, like today or tomorrow. The fire that started in Tribuco Canyon has grown to more than twenty two thousand acres in just two days, and it's spreading into Riverside County. The fires burning in steep rugged mountain terrain. Evacuations remain in place for the Robinson Ranch community and have been expanded to communities along the Ortega Highway near Casper's Park. The fire burning in the Angelus National Forest has exploded in nearly forty seven thousand acres as it burns toward right Wood and near Mount Baldy and part of Pinion Hills. The fire in San Bernardino County is fourteen percent and surrounded. It's burned more than thirty four thousand acres. Smoke and ash from the fire has traveled as far south as Temecula. The air quality in most of Riverside in San Bernardino Counties is considered unhealthy or very unhealthy. People around the globe are remembering the victims of the nine to eleven terrorist attacks on this twenty third anniversary. Family members are gathering with local leaders in Lower Manhattan for the annual reading of the victims' names. During the ceremony, there will be six moments of silence to mark when both World Trade Center towers were struck and fell, when the Pentagon was attacked, and when United Flight ninety three crashed in Pennsylvania at.
Speaker 4: Six oh five.
Speaker 1: It's handle on the news. The gloves came off pretty quickly at the presidential debate. Bill's going to have a lot to say about that. Right now, let's say good morning to the host of Rich on Tech on KFI KTLA's tech reporter Rich Dmiro.
Speaker 4: Morning, Rich.
Speaker 14: Hey, good morning to Amy.
Speaker 1: So you're doing fun stuff playing with new toys this week week.
Speaker 14: Yes, we've got all new gadgets from Apple. Not only did they announce and show off new iPhone sixteen and sixteen Pro models, but also new air pods and new Apple Watches. So a lot to get through. Which one do you want to hear about first?
Speaker 1: Well, I want to hear if there's anything revolutionary about the new iPhone.
Speaker 4: First.
Speaker 14: Well, you know, so on the smaller models, you know, very similar, obviously upgraded when it comes to the cameras and the kind of battery life, but they're very similar to the last model. On the pro models, that's where a lot of the upgrades happened. Both models have this new thing called Camera Control. This is an extra button on the phone that lets you not only launch the camera but also use it as a shutter. So now you can just in one snap, just open that camera up with this with this dedicated button, and then press that again to take a picture. So it's a lot faster. I like that.
Speaker 4: Where's the button which side?
Speaker 14: So it's when you hold the camera horizontally or the phone horizontally. It's on the top, so almost like a real dedicated shutter button. So it's gonna take some getting used to muscle memory, but I will tell you already I've learned. It frees up one icon on your home screen because you don't need the camera icon anymore on your home screen. So that's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and I like that they're making the move back to it, you know, where it feels like what a camera used to feel like maybe a little bit.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and especially on that pro model, they are really making this like perfect for content creators like myself, because not only do you have that dedicated button, but they've also made I mean, nerds are nerding out over this like four K, one hundred and twenty frames video, which is like super high resolution and you can slow it down audio. They have improved the audio. Amy you might get a kick out of this. They have four studio quality mics now, and we got a demo where you can literally use this phone to film a movie, or film voiceover work or record voiceover work. Because the microphones are that good. Obviously, that's going to take a little testing. Pricing remains the same as last year, starting at eight hundred dollars for the standard models, starting at one thousand dollars for the Pro models, and of course AI coming soon. It's not launching with these devices. Next month is when we'll see the AI updates.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, so was it supposed to launch right now or did we know that it was going to be later that AI would be rolled out.
Speaker 14: Well, yeah, I think it's delayed. I think ideally, come on, if you're Apple, you wanted to launch this day and date with your new phones. I don't think it's ready. I think they want to get it right. But the reality is if people are thinking of upgrading, you know you're going to want to get these new phones or have the iPhone fifteen Pro models to get the AI. So I think if Apple had their way, they would have had AI ready on the day these phones are available, which is next Friday, by the way, But they don't they never announced the date when they said AI would be available, but clearly this is delayed. You don't launch software a month and a half after the phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, Well, but better to roll it out probably and have it kind of bug free rather than roll it out when it's kind of not ready for primetime.
Speaker 14: Right, yeah, exactly. And this is Apple. They're a big company. A lot of people use these phones. By the way, one more thing, two more things on the iPhones.
Speaker 12: Ye.
Speaker 14: First off, if you have an iPhone that you like, that software update to iOS eighteen that's happening on September sixteenth, so that will be a free update four days before the new phone's launch. That'll give you a bunch of new features. But one new feature that I'm very excited about, Amy, you can now finally pause video in the middle of a recording. That's something you could do on Android for a long time. That feature is finally coming to the iPhone.
Speaker 4: Well, it's about time they caught up. Huh okay, say that way? Yeah, okay, So tell me about the new AirPods.
Speaker 14: Yeah. So Airpod's for really really small now they have a noise cancelation model, so you basically can choose do you want to pay for noise cancelation or not, and so the a really nice. The noise cancelation is pretty good from my experience and testing them out. These are just really small now this time around, so I think they're gonna sell a ton of these. One hundred and twenty nine dollars without noise cancelation one hundred and eighty dollars with noise cancelation. If you jump up to the pro model of the air pods AirPods Pro two, those are actually getting a function that will double as hearing aids. You fake hearing.
Speaker 4: Aids like real hearing aids.
Speaker 14: Yes, really like clinical grade hearing aids. You can take a hearing test from your iPhone and it will adjust the acoustics on your AirPods that they function as legitimate hearing aids. That's pretty incredible. I think a lot of people are going to use this feature because maybe they don't want regular hearing aids and now they can have them through these AirPods.
Speaker 1: I gotta get these from my mom, so, but they're going to be air pods, so it's not like you can it's not a hearing aid that you put in your and you don't see it's your action AirPods.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's not discreet, but I think that might actually have some pros for people because you know, a air you know, hearing ads are very expensive. Plus it's it's kind of a process. But if you're on the edge or on the fringe and you want something that can just help you hear in conversations, yeah, I mean, are you gonna wear them to a restaurant that will be well, that remains to be seen. The well see, there you go. But opening up access I think is a great thing. And by the way, these are about two hundred and eighty dollars versus you know, several thousand for you know, regular hearing aids. So it's only a good thing I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, Now let's talk about the Apple I Watch it or the Apple Watches, because there's a couple fun little features.
Speaker 4: One it helps detect sleep apnea.
Speaker 14: Now, yeah, as you can see the trend here, Apple is just all about health these days, and so yes, if you wear the new Apple Watch Series ten or even the old Series nine or the Ultras, they will detect sleep appna and so you know, it looks at little micro movements in your wrist and it will send you notification saying, hey, we think you have sleep apnia. Go talk to a doctor. Here's a principal PDF you can bring to them with all of your information. And so I thought that was pretty pretty interesting as well.
Speaker 1: But that means you have to sleep with it on, and I can't sleep with it on because it doesn't I have to charge it at night while I'm sleeping.
Speaker 14: Well, funny you would say that because the new Apple watches are thinner so you don't mind wearing them to bed, and the battery lasts a little bit longer, so yes, you would have to figure out a way to charge the Apple Watch. This is my problem with the Apple Watch. I don't wear it to sleep because it's like you have to figure out where to charge it. Some people charge it right before bed, some people charge it while they're in the shower. But I think the Apple Watch also charges faster now, so fifteen minutes of charging gives you eight hours of use, which is kind of like the sleep time. So if you could charge it for fifteen minutes before you go to bed, now you can check for sleep apnea and get your sleep stats.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then there's another new feature that will allow us to listen to KFI on the Apple Watch.
Speaker 14: Yes, just the small thing, but I thought this was kind of cool. This is coming to the series ten and also the Ultra watches where you can now use the speaker on the watch to listen to audio like you know, music and podcasts like the Kfi whatever you want to listen to. That is a change. Used to not be able to do that. Only thing you could do through the speaker was listen to or talk to Siri and also make phone calls. Now if you forget your headphones or you just want to you know, people take a walk sometimes and they just want to listen out loud. Not saying you do it, you know, in public with a million people around, but you know, if you're on a trail by yourself, why not.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the phone or the air pods can't pair with the watch though, right, No they can?
Speaker 14: Yeah, oh they can't. You conmpare the air pods. Yeah, this is just again I think Apple's getting to the point where they're just giving people more options. So, yes, the deal is that you're at the gym or you're on a run, you have AirPods with your watch. But now if you forgot them, or you just want to have your ears open to the world and still listen to something, have a companion. Then you can use the speaker on your watch to listen to something.
Speaker 4: And it's always good to have KFI as your companion.
Speaker 14: Nice companion.
Speaker 1: Okay, Rich is going to have tons more to talk about, more in depth with all of the new toys as they call him from Apple that have been unveiled, Lots and lots of good tech information and you can hear him on rich on Tech every Saturday from eleven to two. You can see him on KTLA and you can follow him on Instagram at rich on Tech. You can also check out his website, rich on Tech, rich on Tech dot tv.
Speaker 4: Rich Jimiro, thank you so much for your information.
Speaker 12: As always, thank you, Amy.
Speaker 14: Have a great day, all right.
Speaker 1: The fire in the San Gabriel Mountains has exploded to almost forty seven thousand acres yesterday it was to get four thousand. Homes have been destroyed and the fires threatening communities of Brightwood and Mount Baldy. Mandatory evacuations are in place. Residents of Northern Claremont are under evacuation warnings as the fire it moves to the southeast. A man from Norco has been arrested for allegedly starting the fire in San Bernardino County that has burned over thirty four thousand acres it started a week ago. Evacuations are in place for Big Bear, Running Springs, Forest Falls, and other communities as the fire spreads. A case of dengay has been confirmed in Baldwin Park. This is the third ever confirmed case of locally transmitted dengay in California that's not travel related. Public health officials say the potential risk for widespread transmission of the virus remains low in La County.
Speaker 4: At six oh five, is handle on the news.
Speaker 1: As I just mentioned, it's been twenty three years since nine to eleven, and some families are still trying to hold Saudi Arabia accountable. I'll let you know if they're making any progress. At five point fifty, we're going to take a look at the good, the bad, and the ugly from last night's presidential debate with ABC's Stephen Portnoy.
Speaker 12: Amy's on it, Amy's on this, as on it, on it?
Speaker 4: What am I on? I'm on the stream?
Speaker 1: Lots of movies lots of TV shows, documentaries, you name it, I'm watching it. And the hope here is that I can direct you to some some things that are worth your time and maybe direct you away from some shows that just really aren't worth your time. This one is. It's called Showgun. It's on Hulu. There are ten episodes. It was just released this year, so it's it's a newer show, and I had not planned on watching this. Showgun really just isn't my kind of show. As you know, I'm a Disney person. I love rom coms, I like action movies, that kind of stuff. This just didn't peak my interest. But it's been nominated for twenty five Emmys. That's record breaking. It just won fourteen Emmys at the Creative Emmy Awards, and we'll find out how it does when the rest of the Emmys are awarded on Sunday night, because the big ceremonies this Sunday. The series follows the story of John Blackthorne. He's an English sailor. He gets shipwrecked in Japan, and then there's Lord Toranaga, who's a powerful leader who has fallen out of favor in the ruling party. This is all based on a book, and apparently it pretty much follows the book.
Speaker 4: It's just as opposed to there was a movie Showgun.
Speaker 1: But this really gives you the opportunity to really dig deep into the storylines. It's set against the backdrop of politics and power struggles in Japan, and in Japan, death is preferable to dishonor, so there's a lot of death because they don't want to be dishonored. But I would say that the series pretty much grabs you from the beginning. It's beautifully shot, and as they introduce the characters to you, you're trying to figure out who's on which side, who's going to fight for whom, what secrets the characters have, what's going to happen next. There's romance, there's betrayal, there's battles, there's forbidden love, and there are unlikely alliances. You really have to pay attention because I had to rewind the show one time because again, there's a lot going on and I had totally missed like a major thing. So I was like, Okay, this is a show you need to actually sit down and watch. And the other thing that lends itself to really sitting down and watching is because it's Japanese and English, there's a lot of subtitles, so you really have to pay attention to what's going on. The show is brutal, it's violent. Sometimes it's soft and kind, but more brutal and violent than soft and kind. Interesting to watch that the in this show that Japanese puts so much emphasis on honor, being polite, respectful in society and the way that they talk and address each other, and then on the other hand, they're just absolutely brutal and jarring, and they chop off each other's heads all the time, like it happens all the time, and in the firm I'm not giving anything away by telling you this.
Speaker 4: In the one of the first scenes of the.
Speaker 1: Show, they literally boil somebody and I was like, who does that? Well, apparently back in the day that's what they did. I haven't read the book. I didn't know what to expect, and I loved it. If you have read the book, I think you're still going to love it because it was really shot beautifully.
Speaker 4: The question now, is is this the end?
Speaker 1: Because the show follows the book, and apparently, according to the producers, it ends the way the book ends, But is there more story to tell.
Speaker 4: There might not have been, but now they're talking that. The co creators are saying there might be an FX in Hulu, and the estate of the author of the book, James Clavell, says they're working to extend the critically acclaimed global hit drama Showgun and moving the story forward. I would watch that so Showgun. It's on Hulu. It's up for twenty five mm. He's already one fourteen. I'm on it. I think you should be two. It's a good watch.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The donation of two police dogs that originally stalled in la have now been accepted.
Speaker 2: The city Council voted nine to five to accept two canines trained by Adler Horst International Facility with the same name as one of Adolf Hitler's bunkers. Council woman Unsses Hernandez objected, saying a letter asserting there's no connection between the two wasn't good enough.
Speaker 4: Assurances do not remove the historical weight and trauma that the name Alderhors still carries.
Speaker 2: Earlier this year, the council delayed voting on the donation by the Lapd Foundation asking for further vetting of Adler, Horst and any Nazi overtones. The donation has valued at more than twenty six thousand dollars in downtown La Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Former President Trump and Vice President Harris have argued over a lot of topics at their first and possibly only presidential debate. Harris started off saying she and President Biden had to clean up after the Trump administration.
Speaker 11: Donald Trump left us the worst unemployment since the Great Depression. Donald Trump left us the worst public health epidemic in a century.
Speaker 1: Trump defended his administration's response to the pandemic and said the Biden administration benefited from bounce back jobs. He says the economy is in worse shape now.
Speaker 9: We have inflation like very few people have ever seen before, probably the worst in our nation's history.
Speaker 12: We were at.
Speaker 9: Twenty one percent, but that's being generous because many things are fifty, sixty, seventy and eighty percent higher than they were just a few years ago.
Speaker 1: On the issue of abortion, which a lot of time was spent on, Harris claimed Trump would sign a national abortion band. He said that he wouldn't have to because the issue is now up to states. Taylor Swift is announced she's going to be voting for Vice President Harris for president. She put out a statement last night after the debate saying she supports Harris because she fights for the rights and causes that Swift believes need a warrior to champion them. Swift encouraged her fans to do their own research and come up with their own conclusion of who they want to vote for. Tonight, the Dodgers take on the Chicago Cubs at Dodger Stadium, with the first pitch going out at seven. You can listen to every play on AM five seventy LA Sports and stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. The best casino in the Southland is Marongo Casino Resort and SPA Good Times.
Speaker 4: Five six a m.
Speaker 1: Was the time that Flight eleven hit the World Trade Center North Tower. A moment of silence was held at the Memorial and Museum in New York City this morning. It still brings me to tears. Twenty three years later. Five more moments of silence are going to be held this morning to mark the time the second plane hit at six three and then two more for the time each tower fell, the time the plane hit the Pentagon, and then that sixth moment of silence will mark the moment that United Flight ninety three crashed into a field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. A data Remember and never forget. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom and the latest on the fire is burning in southern California. The fire that started in Tribuco Canyon has grown to more than twenty two thousand acres in just two days and is spreading into Riverside County. Evacuations remain in place for the Robinson Ranch community and have been expanded to communities along the Ortega Highway near Casper's Park. The fire burning in the Angelus National Forest has exploded to nearly forty seven thousand acres as it burns toward Rightwood and Mount Baldy and part of Penyon Hills. The fire in San Bernardino County is fourteen percent surrounded. Smoke and ash from that thirty four thousand acre fire has traveled as far south as Temecula. The La City Council's approved to twenty two percent sewer service rate hikes starting in October. Several feet increases will follow until twenty twenty eight, when sewer rates will be double what they are today. City officials say the increases are needed to maintain operations and improve aging infrastructure.
Speaker 4: Mayor bastilest to approve it.
Speaker 1: We're just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning, and Israeli official has floated a controversial new idea trade safe passage for Hamas's leader in exchange for the release of the hostages. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen Portnite. So Stephen, what are your takeaways from last night's one and possibly only debate?
Speaker 15: Yeah, there's a debate over debates this morning. What was going to be another one? And that's part of the story, because look, the pundits came away from last night with a very clear and universal takeaway that it was Kamala Harris's night that Trump was on defense most of the night, particularly on issues such as abortion, where Harris really had some very strong lines going after Trump for what she said where the Trump abortion bans Now it's her phrasing all the country. She talked about the struggles that the families go through now with women, she says, having to bleed out before they can have emergency of abortion care. What you were putting women through is unconscionable, Harris told Trump, and so that was a powerful moment for her. Trump was on defense when it comes to election denihilism. He doubled down. He said he was sarcastic when in recent interviews he's done. He said he's lost by a whisker. He attempted to litigate this bizarre online conspiracy theory about migrants consuming household pets in the town of Springfield, Ohio. And on the whole, it was, as I say, Trump being put on the defense, taking the bait, you know, as Harris tried to point out that there were times where people leave Trump's rallies when he starts talking about, you know, Hannibal Lecter and windmills causing cancer. And Trump went on that bizarre version about what's what said to be going on in Springfield, Ohio, which the town manager there tells ab seniors there's no credible.
Speaker 4: Evidence of it. Yeah, it was interesting. You mentioned the baiting.
Speaker 1: She came out of the shoot baiting him, and you could, I mean, you could hear it. You could just go, Okay, yep, she's going She's doing exactly.
Speaker 4: What everybody said she needed to.
Speaker 1: Do, because they were like, you gotta bait him, and she just would. She was just doing these little digs digs, digs digs, and he and he took the bait.
Speaker 15: I mean yeah, And you have to really give the credit to Harris, her campaign team for preparing as well as they did with as wide a birth as they had. And we're in a really arming Harris with lines that proved to be effective in playing to Trump's soft underbelly, which is his you know, his ego, his sense, his enlarged sense of self, and the idea that what matters to him is the crowds that come to his rallies. And Trump went down that line and then took it again in a bizarre turn, bringing up off the all things most Americans have never heard of. You know, this comes out of the right wing echo chamber, and if you live on Twitter X and you follow Republicans, there's a good chance you've seen these memes they're called these days, there's you know, these graphics of increasingly made by artificial intelligence, that show Trump with cats, what does it all mean? Where does this come from? Most Americans don't live in that space. They have no idea what he's talking about, and so he says such things as migrants are eating cats and dogs and there's no evidence of it, and it becomes part of our American political history.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 1: I think though that you know, Trump spent a lot of time on immigration, but I don't think he got any credit for it.
Speaker 4: But I think he.
Speaker 1: Wanted to push that because that's such a huge thing for him, and I think that he made some great points. But like you said, he kind of you went off the rails, and Harris seemed so, I don't know, not necessarily calm, but she knew what she was going to say. I don't know if she memorized everything, but she sounded like she almost sounded scripted to me, like she just.
Speaker 15: Oh, yeah, listen. There's no doubt that her preparation had her memorizing things and she was able to recite the prepared lines, and maybe she could do it again. I mean, look, she wants to have another debate because she wants another chance for Americans to see it, and closer to the election.
Speaker 4: Well, Trump wants to have more debates too, So.
Speaker 15: He did until this morning when he said he's having second thoughts about that. Let me quote him directly here. He says, I'm not inclined to do it. Yeah, because he says he won the debate by a lot. He says his argument is that you know, when a fighter loses, they want a rematch, but when a fighter wins, you walk away with the win. So he says he won last night. He in fact, he calls it one of his best debate performances.
Speaker 1: Ever, I don't know about that. I mean, I know he said that. I don't know about that. I think she got under his skin and it showed.
Speaker 15: I think she got under his skin and it showed. I think that's a fair assessment. Look at the same time, Trump tried to prosecute arguments against Harris. In his final closing argument, he said, what a lot of his supporters wish he had opened with this idea that Harris has been in office for three and a half years. She's talking about the economy. He did try to bring up the price of household goods and food in particular, but you know, it was not a consistent line throughout the debate because it didn't be, in part because the topics that were brought up put Trump on the defense. A lot of conversation about election denihalism in January sixth, which are not Trump's strong suits. He went right off into the idea that he won the election in twenty twenty, which he didn't. More people voted for Joe Biden than Donald Trump, and he, you know, simply doesn't believe it in narc these otherwise, and even went so far as to say that he wasn't even offered the opportunity to make his arguments in court because the judges throughout the cases on standing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well so, Stephen Portnoyse says.
Speaker 4: The pundits say right, it was a win for Kummela. She did what she needed to do last night.
Speaker 15: I mean, I think that it definitely was a better night for her than it was for Trump. I think that it advanced her interests from a campaign standpoint. I don't know necessarily whether it will change the dynamic of the race, because Americans' views of Trump at least are fixed. The question is whether people who may have been skeptic about Harris, we're convinced last night that they can support her if they were not necessarily certain that they should.
Speaker 1: Okay, Stephen Boortnoy is saying, thank you so much, appreciate it, Glad we got to talk to you today. Uh Neil Savedra and I are going to do something really crazy.
Speaker 4: We're going over the edge.
Speaker 1: We're actually we're going to be doing this for Union Rescue Mission to raise money for them. They have some fabulous programs to help homeless people become not homeless anymore, and they really focus in a lot on the people who want the help, and that is so important to me, which is one of the reasons that I'm getting behind this.
Speaker 4: But we're going to.
Speaker 1: Be repelling down the Universal City Hilton, like twenty four I think it's twenty five stories, but maybe that's because they don't count the thirteenth floor because there is it one. But anyway, twenty four to twenty five stories. We're going to repel down the side of the building to raise money for the Union Rescue Mission and we wanted to give you a little sneak peek of what it's going to look like. So if you would go to my Instagram at Amy K King or at KFI AM six forty, we show you where we're going to start from and kind of where we're going to end up. We're going over the edge, so we can just help one. We can't help all of the homeless people. We can't solve that alone, but you know what, we can make a donation and we can help one. So that's what we're asking you to do. You can get a link to donate. It's at Amy K King and of course I would love it if you follow me. We're going over the Edge on September twenty seventh. We'll be telling you more about it and please donate if you can. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen any time on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear Wakeup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.