Speaker 1: I didn't think about it something.
Speaker 2: I have nothing. I have absolutely nothing.
Speaker 1: You know, Balky, when I was when I was in the first grade, I actually had a magic show. I did it.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I had a magic show that I did in front of the entire My elementary school was kindergarten through sixth grade. In the last day of school, we do a talent show and I had a magic act, the Magnificent Bend. I had seven or eight magic tricks that I planned and I actually learned these just but it was before the internet, Like I bought like a pack of tricks and then it just comes with instructions and all that. And I pulled a rabbit out of a hat. I had a die that I could predict what if you rolled a six. I basically I set it up so that it always added up to seven, and then I predicted that it was gonna the addition was going to add up to seven no matter what you rolled. But I would be able to predict what you were doing there. And I had a whole bunch of things, and I'll be real. In first grade, I absolutely knocked it out of the park, Like I killed it into the planet. I was going to be David Blaine before David Blaine was a thing in second grade. Katie Kramer, I'll out her first and last name, Katie Kramer.
Speaker 2: I'm sure she's a big listener to this.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, That's why I feel comfortable doing it. She outed how I had a secret compartment in the hat for the rabbit before what a jerk? Tell me about it? And I was doing it in second grade as I was, I was maneuvering. Oh, I was devastated. I still went on and did the show because I was a trooper after that. But that was my swan song. That was the end of it there. And so when we see movies like now you see Me three, Now you three Me if you will, it brings me. It harkens back to that era of my life where I really do love magic and magicians, even though my future was cut dramatically short by a couple of jerks.
Speaker 2: So how did you Why did you give it up? Was it because of the of the of the people outing you and how you pulled it off?
Speaker 1: So I'll be honest. The pack that I had, I had maxed out all the tricks, like first and second grade, I basically just did the same show. It's not like I had adapted, and there really wasn't. I didn't grow up in a house. I'd be like I needed a whole new magic sets, like short of me learning new card tricks on my own. Again in a pre internet era, I really didn't have many means much means to go on with it from there. And you know how it is. They even make a comment in the movie I wanted to be a magician then I turned twelve. Do you know who that was that I can't place it?
Speaker 2: That is Andrew Santino, who is a stand up comic. He co hosts the Bad Friends podcast with Mad TV alum Bobby Lee, and he was also in the film Ricky Stinicky with John Cena.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it, but I've heard great things. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a funny guy. He's a very funny guy. And I knew he was in this film, and so then I see him in the beat. It's basically the first scene that Andrew Santino yet, and I'm like, Oh, I wonder if he's going to play a significant role in this man. No, No, it was basically a cameo. He was in that scene and that was it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he did. But so I've always had an affinity for these movies from that perspective because I did love magic like you can. Still my whimsy has been kind of beaten out of me over the decades. You know, I'm a bit cynic. You guys hear it when you listen to me, whether it's here or on outside the box.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that a guy like you, who is so cynical about everything, like, was fascinated at one point by magic, all right, or maybe you weren't fascinated by it. You're like, I'm sick and tired of these people doing this stuff. I don't know how they're doing it. I'm gonna do and I'm gonna know how to do it. I'm gonna know, I'm gonna know how they're pulling it off. So you can still be cynical about it, be're like, ah, that's nothing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but I mean picture that dude, seven year old Ben, Like, there were probably ninety kids per grade in my school, So from kindergarten to sixth grade, that's seven grades. That's over six hundred kids that I'm standing up there pulling a rabbit out of a house.
Speaker 2: That's insane. That is insane, that's kind of nuts. I was thinking because like when we did I mean, I did a talent show and I went to University Wisconsin, Green Bay, which I think is just Green Bay.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I went there for one, not one.
Speaker 1: Semester, one full year, so two semesters, and I got to I'm watching it happen. Yeah, this is awful, fantastic, And I did.
Speaker 2: They had a freshman talent show, and I did like, you know, drama and school plays and performed stuff. I hosted some stuff in high school, like our big frolic whatever you know, skit things that we would do for homecoming and prom every year. I hosted those, and you know, I didn't mind being in front of people. But then when I was getting up for this Green Bay thing talent show, I did stand up comedy for about twenty twenty five minutes. But it's nothing that I wrote. It was Seinfeld stuff that I memorized. Oh and you know a lot of these people, like some of them knew Seinfeld. This was back in nineteen ninety eight, September of nineteen ninety eight. Sure, and this is right when right, I think right when it was going off the air. I think it just had gone off the air or whatever it was. And so know these college kids, not a lot of them are into side. So I think legitimately a lot of people thought I was really funny, and I wasn't the only I wasn't the only stand up comic. There was like two other guys, and I didn't think they were very good. I think one guy had one good joke and then that was it. But I mean, I'm just ripping off Jerry sign on this. Oh yeah, crowd went crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, you're talking nineteen ninety eight. That's pre video, that's pre on demand, that's pre you know, seasoned DVDs, that's pre basically internet. I mean, I realized it existed, but not in any kind of meaningful way. So like unless you caught it live and memorized, Like, how did you even have it?
Speaker 2: Because I would videotape all the Seinfeld episodes. Yeah, and I'd watch these like before I go to bed.
Speaker 1: Watching I did that with Simpsons.
Speaker 2: There you go, but the Seinfeld Show would have like him doing stand up comedy, you know, before ever, and so I remember these bits and just I watched so much of it. Ben it just came naturally. I didn't even think I had like a sheet, you know where you're like, okay, and I got to do this this like I don't even think. I just I had it down and you have the and what's with ID?
Speaker 1: I didn't. I did not do it.
Speaker 2: I did it in my own style because I felt like that would be too obvious, like what's to do? I couldn't do that. So and I don't think I think they had like three finalists or whatever, and I don't think I made made it, which sucked, and I had again again, you have people coming up to you after like I can't believe you weren't in the top three or whatever, and I'm like whatever, it doesn't matter. But then that night, like there was like a dance, like a freshman mixer or whatever, and so many people like came up and like wanted to talk to me and hang out. People I knew from Appleton that I mean that we knew of each other, but we didn't really really hang out. They were coming up to me and like, oh, now now you want to hang out anyway. So that's that was like the largest crowd that I ever did. But I was nineteen or eighteen at the time. Sure you're seven. Yeah, and like when my seventh grade was seven, when I was seven years old, first second grade classes, man, there's like, I don't know, ten people, fifteen people. I went to a small parochial school.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When my my eighth grade class graduated, you know, and then you go to the high school in the next year. There were seven people in my eighth grade class seven one girl, one girl, six guys. That was it. So it's totally I mean, I can't even imagine being seven years old.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say something comes off as judgmental here, but but that sounds like you came up, you're very well adapted. That just seems like those are like the formative years and have such a small group of people that that's suit. And it's basically that you know, the same core group. That's yeah, like you're all friends or enemies.
Speaker 2: No, there wasn't an I don't think any, but there was there was no enemies going on there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, because you played sports, that's that's everybody played. Everybody played sports. All all six guys played sports, not all the sports. Some of them skipped soccer, some of them skipped you know, basketball or whatever. But all of them played that's what it does. But we've digressed. We've been off topic far long enough. Now you see me through, you don't, Now you don't. Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the thing I said. I made up my mind that I was gonna like this movie, and I came through. Yeah, myself, I like this movie. Now, I will say there are certain things I'm like, really, yeah, a man, but it was it was light. It was light. It was very light where I was kind of like, I guess, you know whatever. I think it was much more formulaic into to the second movie than the first one. It reminded me of how formulaic Hangover Part two was to the original Hangos.
Speaker 1: I had a very similar thought, very similar thought. I was thinking American Pie, but the same idea because there's.
Speaker 2: The American Pie. Two was a little bit different. I think.
Speaker 1: Then, oh see, I think it hits all the exact same plot points, just the actual moment. Instead of getting you know, sticking your thing in a pie, you use the American you glue your hand through right principle.
Speaker 2: Well I get it, yeah, yes, but I think American Pie two was more. American Pie was like, these guys have known each other for forever. They have the very very friendly, familiar, familiar familiar relationships. Then they all go off to school, and then they come back and you can see that these guys have changed significantly in just a few months, you know, coming home for summer break or whatever. So to me that it was it was a little bit different for American Pie too, because I think these characters were significantly different than what they were when they were high school seniors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were a lot of plot points, and I will say, I'm glad you brought that up because that's where I wanted to start.
Speaker 2: Jesse, Okay, just go ahead. No, I don't know, because I was going to ruin something, So you go.
Speaker 1: Ahead, Jesse Eisenberg stick. I think once you hit a certain age, is no longer acceptable. You know what's funny? Okay, I have to interrupt.
Speaker 2: I was watching Social Network, but he was just so annoying and you know, and I'm like, God, this guy is so good at that, So maybe his shtick has reached its limit for you give me more. Really, I like it. Yeah, I like how he plays this arrogant the guy who's super arrogant.
Speaker 1: But shouldn't be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he has nailed that, and it's it's different because I think in what was movie he did with Kieran Culkin that Kieran Culkin won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, it's like two cousins on a trip to Europe or whatever. I can't remember what it's called. Besides the point, but I thought his character is very unlike what he did now you see me. I think Zombielan he plays a different type of character.
Speaker 1: I disagree.
Speaker 2: I think in the first Zombielant and I think in uh was it called Adventureland that he Yeah, I think he was a totally different character that he played. You know, So I think that he there. He's not like he's getting type cast because I still think he has a wider range, but you clearly do.
Speaker 1: I feel like he is the social network and everything he does. When he's Lex Luthor, he's Mark Zuckerberg. Yeah, that's true. When he's Atlas, he's Mark Zuckerberg. When he excuse me, he's yeah, Mark Zuckerberg. Yeah. When he's Zombielan, he's Mark Zuckerberg. It's just a very and maybe it's one of those things like maybe hitting a little too close to home, because that was the trajectory I was on in my early twenties. I mean you, we just joked about how cynical I am, Like I have that element. I'm a quick witted person. I'm a smart ass at times, but I've reined it in because it's only cute up to a certain point. I'm pushing forty.
Speaker 2: What did you identify with in this movie?
Speaker 1: Oh, without a doubt, I was the uh and I even had a reason why and why am I blanking on? But it's it's Bosco. I was Bosco in this and I even had a very distinct reasons of similar heights and I can't remember. He's a very frame. He doesn't have good posture. I don't have good posture.
Speaker 2: I think I don't like the posture and the frame thing. I just think like it's because you guys are so tall. Maybe it's just normal to like communicate with other people, you have to hunch down a little bit. And that's the Yeah. I think if you, if you lived in in the land of the Amazons, you'd have fantastic posture and quite frankly, what are your six four? Yeah, you'd probably be six seven, you know that's seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no ah, God, And like I would, this is what I always say to you. I wish I wrote stuff down when I was in there, because I even walked out of there like, oh, that's literally a ben thing to say, Like I've never related. This might be the most I've related to a character in one of these kind of things. But it hit very close to home a lot, a lot of the messaging that that he had here. But but s Eisenberg. I have just always found I don't believe in zodiac signs, but if they're real, whatever our zodiacs are, just don't gel Because there's something about Eisenberg that I'm like.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm sure it's not just you. Yeah, And he plays into that in this film, Yeah, like he is supposed to.
Speaker 1: Be by the way he gets me to laugh. I don't want to sound like it's an off putting character. I'm just saying it's been the same thing for twenty years, Doug, Right, That's what I'm saying. But go ahead, I apologize.
Speaker 2: No, that's that's all right, because I think that he has to and I would I would contend that he has never played up the the jerk, mean magician that is full of himself more so than he did in this one. The second one he had a redeeming quality, didn't he save Mark Ruffalo?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Second one? Yeah, so there was a selflessness there, there's some vulnerability. He kind of like got everybody together at the end of the second one when it was them against Harry Potter and Michael Kine.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I do think that this one the character has played differently.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Is that because you had three new magicians, right, and there was less elbow room for him to kind of have sort of like a redeeming arc.
Speaker 1: I don't know, or would it have been cannibalizing because I'll be real. Bosco LeRoy's character, I think is very sim not in a style but in attitude. I think they're very similar types, like you know, a little too big for their breches. They don't think they needed, like it would have been redundant.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny is like you can kind of match up, yes, like the the new magicians with the old ones or whatever, Like you had what was what was the woman's name, June or something?
Speaker 1: I can't I have it up here? Yeah, June Rube Claire, Yeah.
Speaker 2: June Rouclaire, which is another weird name. Why do they pick such weird Bosco Leroy yeah yeah, but she was like the Dave Franco jack that.
Speaker 1: Was so similar that they could have killed Dave Franco in the first five minutes for like a little bit more stakes.
Speaker 2: But they can't do that because they already killed them off in the first one. Oh I forgot, I remember, Yeah, so you can't. You can't do that again.
Speaker 1: But it was so redundant their characters, like to the point where they literally make a joke about it.
Speaker 2: But I think that was the idea, is like, oh you got your lock picker, look at the New Age one that like, you know, so so those two and then I think, uh, I can't remember the guy's name, the actor's name, but Bosco Leroy, dominic dominiccessa thank you. Those two him and Isberg to me like matched up whatever. And then you had Justice Smith, who I think was sort of like a brand new like he wasn't he obviously wasn't Merret McKinney, and he was not Isla Fisher, although they had a scene together, didn't they they did?
Speaker 1: But to be frank Man without giving too much away. I think they're kind of setting up for him to be the Eisenberg of the group, even though Leroy shares more of those traits in terms of what he actually means to the group. They even had them say the same catch frack.
Speaker 2: I'm going to move past that because I don't think it's worth talking about for the purposes of this podcast. Yeah, but the introduction, the first scene got me. Yeah, it was well like kind of a magic trick by the director and the screenwriter all in its own fooled me. Yeah, totally absolutely, and then it set me up. I'm like, okay, like, yeah, we're in it now.
Speaker 1: Every scene, the Diamond High scene wonderful, Like, honestly, I wish there were more of it, like those are You said you like the parts and they ruined it and I called you a Cretan. It really is the best part.
Speaker 2: What what they oh no, no, no, where they show you.
Speaker 1: How Yeah, where they ruin it is what that's called.
Speaker 2: So I'm not a Cretan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you want people to ruin magic tricks are kind of a Cretan. Trust me.
Speaker 2: It was a diamond heist. Okay, I want to know how they pulled it off. It's like it's like Ocean's eleven not showing you how they robbed three different.
Speaker 1: Well, no, because they're not magicians. They're robbers. This is different the magicians. You shouldn't ruin the trick. So it's a different it's a different component here, but specifically the diamondized one, Like I was like, ah, this is gonna be a good movie. Like that. That was when I really kind of bought into what was going on because I couldn't help. Are you familiar with honest trailers? Yeah, okay, they did an honest trailer for it always comes back to Marvel. They did one for Age of Ultron, and at the very end they like, you know, they do starring and they do all the jokes with all the different names, and the last thing they do is and the New Avengers, and it was Falcon and Scarlet Witch and Vision and and and down Cheetah one blanking on his name machine, Yeah, war machine, And then the voice for aunut trailers goes yay, and like I remember feeling the same way when it happened, And now I love all those characters ten years later, like they all have their backstories, but at the time, I couldn't help, but reminisce to that when I was meeting all these new characters, and that at.
Speaker 2: The end of Age Ultron. Yeah, I thought that was the end of.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's it's the end of Age all and the Civil War is with Tony Sank when stan Lee rip drops and they like have the cell phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then but then remember Captain America and Scarlet not Scarlet Witch, Black Widow come in and they see Scarlet Witch and.
Speaker 1: What that's there? You're conflating that I am. I am one hundred you're you're wrong. I would actually bet my house on it. You're one hundred percent wrong.
Speaker 2: I can't. I can't do that. But we're talking about the same scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's the end of Age of Ultron.
Speaker 2: And then and then Chris Evans goes Avengers and then it cuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the end of Yeah, you're telling me that was the end. I swear to God that we'll look it up after this is over. Remind me of looking up of Tony right now, I'm one hundred to quote Marissa Tomay.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, you're right, yes, because Civil War ends with.
Speaker 1: Them breaking them out of jail. Thet Yes. So yeah, so that was Agel Trud.
Speaker 2: I almost just lost my house, thank God.
Speaker 1: But I say all that to say, anytime the old cast wasn't on the screen, I felt like I was looking at the new Avengers from Age of Ultron, and I was like, yeah, and I'm sure if they did two more movies of these guys, I'd be into it more. But I just I just didn't get there in this movie.
Speaker 2: So what got me there? It was that scene which was kind of hokey, but I think it was put there for a purpose where there I can't remember how it starts, but it's all these guys, all these magicians pulling off these magic tricks like yeah, you know, like like rapid fire or whatever. And it was the old ones and the new ones, and the new ones are holding their own oh sure. And the other thing we should mention too is this movie came out are the second one came out nine years ago. The events of this movie are set ten years from when the last one ended. Yeah, okay, and without you know, spoiling a whole lot here, the four Horsemen are kind of not together, right, something happened. I'll let you watch it, but they're kind of not together, so they're a little out of practice. Now they're kind of doing stuff on their own, but they haven't had to team up with anybody, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not but it's not the same at all. And now you made me think I didn't relate to Boss Goo. It was Dave Franco, Jack Wilder. Yes, because I was sitting there, they all kind of in their own variation of it, sell out because they were Dave robot hood and they're doing those kind of things. And I was sitting there thinking back to me on the freaking picket lines and Occupy Wall Street and where life is today, and I'm like, ah, no, I get it, Jack, you gotta make a living. I keep doing it.
Speaker 2: He I mean, what was Daniel Atlas doing.
Speaker 1: I don't remember. He's the only one that it seems like he was just floating. Then he was the only one who sold out. Dave Franko was the only one that sold out. Mary McKinney was Harrelson's getting drunk on the akin.
Speaker 2: He's drinking himself to death.
Speaker 1: Yes he's depressed, right, but he's not No, but he's not fighting the good fight anymore.
Speaker 2: I guess Isla Fisher ends up selling out. She didn't sell out.
Speaker 1: She comes to suburban you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because she got she didn't want to do all this, you know, putting her life in danger in all this stuff. So she ends up becoming that's not a sellout. There's no sell out there. She gets married and has kids.
Speaker 1: That's not selling You find yourself reflecting on one battle after another when they were talking about that kind of stuff though, because that's kind of the inverse of that, those people that may be held onto it too long, and that was kind of the way.
Speaker 2: I didn't think about it then, but I'm thinking about it now.
Speaker 1: Their own version of just like, yeah, no, I'm gonna whatever. Not selling out is what I'm definitely not going to fight this fight anymore and I'm just gonna, you know, host outside the ball.
Speaker 2: But I think like selling out is the wrong term for it, too, because I think what happened that caused them to splinter would be like, you know what to help with this? This is sure, you know, and I get it. Although when Jack Wilder died in the first one, they didn't seem to bother him, did not seem to bother them.
Speaker 1: No, it didn't didn't all right.
Speaker 2: Speaking of death, there's a character in this film, and I'm not going to reveal who may or may not have died.
Speaker 1: I we should just say it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want to say. I don't want to say, all right, may or may not have died. And then I think about this type of movie and the fact that we did not see a body a dead body, right.
Speaker 1: I had the same thought, But we did see a death. I don't know.
Speaker 2: If we did, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised, because no one ever dies in these kind of movies. But like, it's not like it was the Hound when Aria Stark leaves him bleeding leaning up against the rock. When that happened, I'm like, oh that that's like the first time I ever guessed that somebody didn't die and was right? Was that?
Speaker 2: Walking walking dead rules unless person see him die, and especially in this kind of movie.
Speaker 1: So I feel like though, and also I can only say so much because you want to avoid spoiler. Well, let's just say that actor or actress or actress, in my humble opinion, was really showing his or her age. You might as well just say that. Well, because I wanted to talk about this because it's Margan Freeman, and I think they had to kill him off because I don't want to this. It's his blasphemy because how do you say, like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not gonna reveal who it was, but he was really showing his age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well obviously, Well it could have been Woody Harrelson. It could have could it could be it could be.
Speaker 2: Marking the same thing. I was thinking the same thing watching this. I'm like, is he talking slower? He was moving slower? He was He did not seem like it all.
Speaker 1: It felt like he was acting worse like and that's blasphemy because he's a phenomenal actor.
Speaker 2: I just I just feel like he can't talk like normal and.
Speaker 1: He's not the same anymore. And you could feel it. And so I'm like, oh, so they gave him an out. That's what it's kind of the way I look at And we we do.
Speaker 2: Know a fourth one underway, yes, and whether he's in that or not, we don't know. Michael Kane retired from acting, so we knew he wasn't going to be.
Speaker 1: In the side exactly, and I didn't know he retired by the way you both got yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he retired from acting because he only wanted He didn't want to do like supporting stuff anymore. He wanted to be a lead. And he's like, why am I going to try to be? Who wants to hire me as a lead actor? When you have all these younger, good looking guys. So to help with that, I'm just hanging it up. That's basically why he I don't remember what his last film was, sure anyway, it could have been Dark Knight Rises. Actually yeah, So so getting back to More, I would imagine that regardless of if he is retired or if he is not acting, or god forbid, if he dies before the fourth one, there will be some sort of at minimum a cameo. Now, he wasn't a huge part of this film, in fact, like two scenes maybe one scene really, so I would imagine that we will see appearance in the fourth one. Whether that's posthumous or or a I or CGI.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but it definitely was sticking out to me, and it was it was but to.
Speaker 2: Me when I saw that, I was like, Okay, well I don't think he's dead, but certainly I could see them.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, real life circumstances kind of like.
Speaker 2: Well, it's sort of like Isla Fisher. She wasn't in the second one because she was pregnant at the time and couldn't couldn't, couldn't do it, and they just made a convenient.
Speaker 1: Excuse for that.
Speaker 2: Well, now you have the excuse actually written into cannon for this for this third d.
Speaker 1: And I was so my dad has always called I don't know if this was his creation or if he heard it somewhere else, but he always calls Morgan Freeman baby pigeon, because baby pigeon. Yeah, have you ever seen a baby pigeon?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen a young Morgan Freeman? Now? Is it the radio clip?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, radio clip like he.
Speaker 1: Did radio in the seventies and he's got a big afro and knock and jive. It's great.
Speaker 2: But the mugshot photo in Shawshank Redemption, it was the only young Morgan Freeman.
Speaker 1: I okay, But like, how old is is Shaw Shank Redemption? It's like nineteen ninety right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but remember they that photograph, At least I think it was an old photograph of him.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying is he looked like he was old in that movie. Thirty.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm not saying, yes, he looked old in that movie, obviously, but I'm saying in the photo he looked very No.
Speaker 1: I understand what you're saying. You're talking about you can tell there is a there. I mean, I don't know about a thirty year difference. I think he's aged very nicely. But yes, he did look old in that How old is he in real life? I think eighty one, I believe. I looked it up. It's just like Ian McClellan and Patrick Stewart in X Men. I saw that one in two thousand, like, these guys are old as hell, and then you see him today and you're like, wait, how old were they? Right, that's a good point. Morgan Freeman's the same way with this, But this it really stuck out and it was borderline distracting, just because I know how competent he is as an actor. Yeah, but that was, however, the best scene in the movie, in my humble opinion, the fights. The fight scene in like the House of Tricks when they're fighting. You guys listening, you know the kind of room I'm talking about where it's like the spinning room. No, no, no, the dimensions are thrown off that one person super tall, one person super short. I was sitting there watching it happen. I'm like, I can't believe this has never been done in a movie before. And I'm so happy I'm watching it right now because this is such a good idea.
Speaker 2: They went to. They went to all out in UH, utilizing every portion of magic and optical illusions that that we have been blessed with UH in the world in the history of magic. They and that was like the whole mansion in Yeah, it was a Versailles or Paris where it was, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I believe it was in France. I don't remember France somewhere, but they had Houdini strait jacket, they had a bunch of other magicians you've never heard of, and all the special tricks, and they had one of those optical At one point, they slide a piano at someone and it looks like they slide a child sized piano, but it's a real size, and you're sitting there knowing it's a trick, you know, it's an illusion in your mind, cannot grasp what you're looking at, and it was just it was a very awesome scene.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna retract what I said. No, I'm not going to it. Maybe it was the best scene in the movie. It was not my favorite scene in the movie, but it was very cool. Yeah, that they were and that was where they did That was the mansion where they did the rapid fire magic tricks, right, yes, yeah, so that whole portion for the magic geeks out there, like, oh this is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, slid a hand if you're into it. There's times where you don't know if they're actually doing the tricks or if it's cgi because like that's like how good they've gotten. It's some of those tricks. It's like Paul Rudd and a man learning how to do the close up magic. Like it's the kind of movie that'll make you walk out of there being like, I'm gonna learn how to do this stuff because that's awesome.
Speaker 2: There was like my buddy the first when the first Fast and Furious came out, he went and saw that movie and then he came we came out, We're like, oh, it was awesome, you know, or whatever, and then we get into his card. He's like gunning it through the parking lot, you know, like just like totally inspired of what he saw in the movie all right, play off the gas Let's this is not this is not movie, this is real life. And and I don't know how many people will like want to do magic based on this, like uh, you know, maybe younger people or whatever like oh I want to get into magic or whatever. But Andrew Andrew Santino said like at the start, like, oh yeah, I love magic, and then I turned twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, exactly what I will say, A nine year old Ben would be in love with this movie.
Speaker 2: I thought my kids, like I tried to show them, like I tried. This is like when the first one came out, and it was like I was flipping through channels and was on, I'm trying to get my kids, who are you know, right around nine or nine, and I'm trying like, hey, magicians who are robbing banks with magic? And they're like, eh, like.
Speaker 1: What are you even my kids?
Speaker 2: How is this not?
Speaker 1: Like you what?
Speaker 2: What about a world that we live in where you could just use get really good at magic and then just rob banks and.
Speaker 1: Steal like you know what I mean? Yeah, it should be right up there, Alley. I wonder because like I hated Westerns growing up, and that's what my dad grew up on and I always wonder if he's like, why won't he watch this freaking John Wayne movie, like because it's boring and they're all the same, and like maybe maybe that's their attitude. Who they all knows that the youth today I got nothing. Yeah I got it. I don't either, but this I know. I would have loved it when I was younger, and I don't want it to sound like I didn't enjoy it now. It was. I described it that way on your show. It's dumb fun It is too fast and furious and gone in sixty seconds. This is that version of Ocean's eleven best performance of the movie. In my humble opinion, Rosamund Pike.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask you what you thought of her accent, because she is British, is an English actress, and she had a South African accent.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, perhaps this is because I perhaps this is because I've watched District nine way too much. Yeah, but he reminded me, and I can't remember the actor's name.
Speaker 1: He was in the eight team as well. Yeah, I know the guy you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's from South Africa. Yeah, and he played a South African in District nine.
Speaker 1: It's all a metaphor for apartheid in South movie.
Speaker 2: Exactly, yes, with the prawn, and yeah, how have they never made a District ten? That would have been a great one.
Speaker 1: I know that there were rumors about Oh really, yeah it happened. Yeah, that was phenomenal.
Speaker 2: So every time she would talk I couldn't take her seriously because I'm thinking because the character he played in District nine was kind of like this cartoonish, not cartoonish, but he was out of his depth, you know. Yeah, oh yeah, And and so I hear Rosamund Pike and at least Harry Danny Radcliffe when he was the villain, like, I took him seriously.
Speaker 3: But when you're talking like this, all it's one way, your voice is going up, and everything seems so sugary and sweet and nothing bad of it happens. And I'm rich and I steal and and my my family is descended from Nazis.
Speaker 2: You know it just ah, I was, I was, I was out. I was out on her.
Speaker 1: Really, I just.
Speaker 2: There's there's a certain part of me that was like, okay, well, when when she's operating like this, talking like this, really not taking these magicians very seriously until she realized she has to and then there's certain there's a certain point of like, oh, how diabolical is she going to be?
Speaker 1: To me? She wasn't.
Speaker 2: She was She was like a bad but not a big bad. She was a villain, but she wasn't a super villain and to me just did not really have She didn't represent strength at all. To me in this movie, there was no there was no strength. It was the choices that she made. Was was from a week and panicked state that that she was in And that's not a villain.
Speaker 1: That's I don't that's see, that's it. I didn't get Radcliffe, okay.
Speaker 2: Was operating from a position of power the whole start until the very end. If you go back to the first one, and I don't really know who the villain is in the first one. In the first now you see the FBI, I don't guess. Technically, yeah, Morgan Freeman, Yeah, I guess Morgan Freeman. I but but to me, and let's let's use Morgan Freeman as an example. He was strong the whole way.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: He even brought it up to Mark Ruffalo's character is like, like you know you're you're two steps behind her, I'm two steps in front of you, and then you find out at the end, well, I was actually Dylan Rhodes. It was two steps in front of him the whole time. But that's not the way the character is portrayed for the majority of the movie. That's he was. He was strong, he was powerful. He didn't know what this guy is capable of, right, same thing with Radcliffe and Michael Kane and then this one.
Speaker 1: It was just kind of like, you know, I did. I didn't consider it from that lens, and I actually appreciate that input. And you're kind of changing my mind because I'll be real anytime I see this actress, it's kind of like seeing King Joffrey in the movie. Yeah, as soon as I see King Joffrey in the movie, like does he could be the nicest guy and then be like, ah, that son of a bit. You know he retired from acting. I didn't know he is. Uh.
Speaker 2: I can't remember his name, but the dude who played King Joffrey in Game of Thrones retired from acting and he is teaching drama somewhere acting.
Speaker 1: I bet all the students hate them because of that role.
Speaker 2: Could be and probably went out on the bottom.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but the.
Speaker 2: Rosamund Pike, I see her, I'm like, uh, goner.
Speaker 1: Thank you. And she's evil as crap in that movie, as is everybody, not exclusively her, Like everyone's a bad person in that movie, but she's a unique kind of bad in that movie. And that's a ten year old flick. Eleven years old, and I still see her. I care a lot. It's a Netflix movie with Tyrian in it. Peter dinklic that if you haven't seen that, she essentially plays someone that robs people that are going into hospice care, that she takes advantage of Alzheimer's patients.
Speaker 2: It's got to be her look.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it's the like the look like she can't be this heroin She's got to be this fem fittale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so her previous roles and I guess what's stuck out to me And maybe it's a little bit of my own imagination going with it a little bit. On this villains in South Africa they run and they run a diamond mind. I think there could have been a very very strong urge to have the villain mirror Elon Musk, especially in this current climate. Yeah, and I think it was a good move to go distinctly away from that image because there is a polarizing element to that there. And I think she was unique in her way. But you bring up a ton of good points that I think are worth acknowledging that. I mean, she gets a call from a deep voiced phone call early on that's screwing with her, and from that moment on you don't find out who that person is for most of the movie. So there's a whole other element screwing with this girl beyond the horseman that she is always trying to gather her ground. And yeah, I never thought about it until you high actively she acted. Her character acted from a very reactive sense of state of mind rather than being the one controlling everything. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, and I'll say this about Rosamund Pike. I don't know a whole lot else of the stuff that she's been in. In fact, I was thinking about this after the movie. I'm like, God, you know, the only thing off the top of my head I can think of that she was and she wasn't even a big part of this movie. And it's a great movie.
Speaker 1: Ben.
Speaker 2: If you've never seen it, you probably have Ryan Gosling Anthony Hopkins Fracture.
Speaker 1: Hell, yeah she was.
Speaker 2: She was his boss, slash like lover or whatever in that movie and that one. That is when I'll go back on YouTube and watch the final Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have it on DVD. I liked that.
Speaker 2: That was a good flame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was in a Jack Reacher. She was a I'm sure if I thought about it long enough other ones. Was she in a Bond?
Speaker 2: It seems like she should have been. Yeah, right to one of the Bond girls that like dies early because she's trying to screw with James Bond, you know. But no, I don't. I don't remember her, and she might have been I don't know. Okay, So that was Rosamund Pike. Let's get into the not the twist at the end. Let's talk about the I don't want to say cameo, but let's talk about the appearance by the character. Yeah, about halfway through the movie, you know what I'm talking about at the police station. Did you see it coming? Were you surprised when that character revealed his or herself.
Speaker 1: To a certain extent, Yes, but I was more so caught off guard as to like why they didn't just start with that person in the mid.
Speaker 2: I think they tried to explain that they didn't do a good enough job. Then they didn't. I don't want to get into it on air. Yeah, we've ruined this movie enough for people with the Morgan Freeman thing.
Speaker 1: Oh please.
Speaker 2: So I kind of like, because I was researching this movie heavily, not even right before I saw it. I've been researching this for months. I saw a thing on YouTube. It was like a YouTube short of Jesse Eisenberg in a tuxedo congratulating everybody on the rap for the filming of Now You See Me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, how did this movie start filming? I didn't even know about it.
Speaker 2: So then at that point, I'm like, I'm diving down the rabbit hole without a helmet.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go as deep as I can. And I found out different stories on this character's involvement in this movie. That he or she was going to be in it, that he or she was not going to be in it, yeah, that he or she would have a small role, that she he or she would have a large role. So as it's getting closer and and they they reveal this person, this drunken person, and I'm like, okay, I know what's going on here. Oh sure, And and then at that point I realized who it was. And it wasn't a big reveal to me.
Speaker 1: What's funny is I thought it was Bosco because he's so good at impressions. But but look, how.
Speaker 2: Look how tiny Bosco is like seven feet tall that that person was not very tall.
Speaker 1: I say it was a smart guess, Okay, I didn't. I was more so caught off guard about why that person wasn't just like involved from the start.
Speaker 2: But well here here she was also upset that he or she was not Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: They have that in the in the plot there as well. That that was an interesting one. That was that was enjoyable, But.
Speaker 2: There were some I would say that is not the only example of lazy, convenient dus Mockina writing that we saw in this film.
Speaker 1: Oh no, and these these movies are dependent on that, and for better or worse, they're dependent on that. I just accept, like, okay, yeah, it doesn't bother me at all in these kind of relies. I'm telling you, this was an hour and fifty two minutes and at no point, was I ever hour fifty two? Yeah, I did not think it was that long, That's what I'm saying. And there were times where I would check my phone for the time, because again, my Tuesdays are pretty long, and I'd be like, son of a bitch, thirty minutes when by since the last time I checked the phone, I was expecting this to say ten minutes like it, it really does. It flies by. There's contrivances, there's there's moments who you're like, well, wait a minute, and then you just move on there.
Speaker 2: There's one part of this movie where one of the magicians is kidnapped, and I just thought it was like the middle part of the movie, and I'm like, oh no, this is this is setting up for the end here. Oh yeah, you know, like I thought that was like I thought it was only like halfway through, and I'm like, oh my god, this really has been fun okay.
Speaker 1: And these do train your brain. It's it's similar to Naked Gun how it starts off super funny, but by the end of the movie you can kind of tell the joke pattern. Like you you hear the setup and you're like, oh, I kind of see the punch. There is a moment where I'm not going to get into why it matters, but they show you a Roseman Pike driving in her car and it's almost like they hit a speed bump, but she just goes, oh, and that was all that happened. I'm like, well, that meant something. I don't know what it means, but that definitely meant something. I was with you on that, and sure enough, it meant something. And like they train your brain to, by the end of the movie, you're like, oh, that meant something, ooh ooh, this is definitely on point.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't even say that long that the There is a scene.
Speaker 1: I think I know what's on your top in the house, No, in the house with all the tricks, and they foreshadow what's coming later. Now, okay, what part is that. They're like going over all the different traps and they're like, oh, this is the straight jacket, this is the bullet catch, this is this moment, and you're just like, I'm just like, oh, well, I know what's coming next. Okay, was there a straight jacket thing?
Speaker 2: But okay, well whatever, I did think so I'll get to my point in a second. But the house thing, the portrait on the wall.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, really, nobody else thinks like this is just like like okay.
Speaker 1: So you just oh, that's impressive. See that was in one ear and out the other for me. You know what I'm talking about? Yeah, I do, and that just happened. I was like, all right, that's fine. I was.
Speaker 2: Yeah at that point, I'm like, you guys are just like just like, okay, this is normal to you, like magicians, these people that are paid to fool and like, so that that was weird to me.
Speaker 1: Didn't set off any alarms. But I thought that was very bizarre. No, I didn't even know alarms.
Speaker 2: The one thing I was going to talk about is on the houseboat. Not a houseboat, it's just not like a barge or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, And they're all kind of like meeting each other for the first time after they escape the was that the heist, the diamond heist that they escape, and they're talking about Henley Isla Fisher's character and how she's married right m and they point out something that she's wearing right on Yeah, yes, yes, yes, yes, And I'm like that's important. Oh sure, you know, because we're talking, you know, you think about what the movie's about you think about like why would you, you know, focus in on that. That's kind of a bizarre thing. And then the line that Eisenberg had afterwards wasn't even that like quippie or anything. Yeah, okay, so that's that's There was a lot of like rough around the edges writing in this movie. Yes, and I don't want to lazy's probably not the right word, but just stuff that should have been smoothed out a little bit better. Yeah, and and to the point where I, Okay, this leads me into my next point. Let's talk about the end. Did you see? As I said, when I watched this, I did not see this coming. But I said after I was like, when it was going on, like, I bet Ben saw this coming? Did you see it coming?
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna answer this in a way, and I'm going to say before I even get into it that what I am describing is not what happens in the movie. But I'm just gonna allow my own conjecture as to how I got to where I got to. You talk about the lazy writing one of the or not lazy, but rough around the edges kind of writing. Yeah, there's a line early on in the movie where they say magic's not about what you see, it's about what you don't see, right, And they say that, and so I'm sitting there like, okay, I don't line. By the way, it was one of the first lines and it stuck out to me. I'm like, that is going to be the big rug pull, Like that's going to be the line and it's going to be somehow reminiscent, like that's what it was. So I'm sitting there, I'm like, what don't I see in the entire movie? You got a deep voice? We said this.
Speaker 2: I don't even remember this.
Speaker 1: It's like I think it's at last like as a voice over. Okay, as they're like setting up that first trick, and so I'm sitting there like, okay, what don't I see? Then you get the deep voice calls two Roseman Pike like kind of screwing with her, being like I know who you are and you need to turn this over X, Y and Z. So I'm sitting there and I am trying to tie the voice knew who Rosamund Pike was, yes, and like she's like he's like, I have this info on you, and I can sink your whole company if you don't do all the stuff that I want you to do. Yes. Yes. So I'm sitting there and I'm like, Okay, clearly that person is going to be relevant to the plot. Clearly this is going to be the lynchpin.
Speaker 2: You know you Okay, I'm gonna interrupt you just for a second there. I I this is that. This is how I should have been actively watching it. That never crossed my mind. I knew there was something going on. I was much more invested into the Horseman. Yeah, and I think that's that's the This goes back to the whole magician's credo of hey, look here, but really you should be looking here, Yes, exactly, And that's why it was. The phone calls were brief, Uh, there weren't. There weren't a ton of them. And I think it pushed me right to the limit of like where I didn't think I should be caring about that part. But obviously, you, being a more cynical, uh conditioned movie watcher, Yeah, it was pushed over your limit. He realized, Okay, there's something going on here.
Speaker 1: This is this is huge. I trained myself early on watching saw movies, like you realize those kind of that you're like, oh, well, wait a minute, dude, I predicted the end of Saw seven and Saw four, But that's another story entirely. That's okay.
Speaker 2: I could not do that, but I will say of your most impressive movie watching things that, now, if you would have predicted the end of the first Saw, we'd have a much wider Oh.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, I'm not even gonna get it. I will say. I didn't say it out loud, but I was sitting there thinking, I'm like, what if he's just the guy dead in the center of the floor. But like, I thought that was so stupid that I was like, I'm not even gonna say it out loud. No, it was a great ending because they did it in the right way, but like I didn't think they'd do it the way that that I was thinking in any event, So I say all of that to say, and again, this is not the ending, and I'm not saying anything about this beyond then I assumed the person on the other end of the phone was Mark Ruffalo, and that he was pulling the strings secretly from behind the scenes, and.
Speaker 2: We will we will not say whether that's true or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say, I'm not spoiling the ending for you in any way, because I did not get the ending because he was not the voice, he was not the disconnected Ipically, that.
Speaker 2: Wasn't the very ending anyway.
Speaker 1: No, but like that to me was the ending. I assume you meant to guess was the the that part of it.
Speaker 2: The identity of the person who was revealed to be on the other end of the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that you didn't see that, I didn't see that. That surprises here, you're breaking of what you're saw for And so I know, yeah, I was pleasant well because I had I walked because I was like, what isn't being shown? And I'll say this off the air to you, I'm realizing now how that line still ties in in a way that I'm only just realizing right now.
Speaker 2: But uh, because no, I don't think I mean, we'll talk about it, but I know exactly. I mean, I think I know exactly what you're gonna say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And because I was headed down that pathway, I think it distracted me from other possible outcomes because I was so sure, because so many other characters were being brought out of the woodwork, there's no way the Mark Ruffle is not going to do something in this movie, and sure enough, he didn't end up doing well.
Speaker 2: And the other thing too, is how many people you didn't know Michael Kine retired. Maybe maybe it was Michael Caine, you know, and think about you know, how he was left at the end of the second one. He could honestly maybe he had a history with you know, it's the Andy Garcia al Pacino thing in Oceans right, yeah, where like, yeah, I mean you're bringing Garcia back. Oh, it turns out he hates al Pacino's character and you know what I mean. And so they could have been one of those anyway. Oh sure.
Speaker 1: And I will say, knowing that another movie was already in the works, part of me was wondering, like Fast and Furious ten the literal tagline on it was the beginning of the end. Yeah, And I was like, well, son of a bitch, that means this movie isn't going to end on a high notes because obviously it wouldn't be the beginning of the end. It would just be the end otherwise, And so you kind of knew the path that was going on. I'll be real, I expected this one to end on more of a cliffhanger than it does. This cliffhanger that it ends on. I think is is very open ledge.
Speaker 2: Yeah hanger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like we definitely have an idea, but like, realistically, they could take it fifty seven different ways like you have. It's not like they leave you with them.
Speaker 2: Oh it's fine, yeah, but no, it's no, that is what you want you I mean, at least that's what I want see for this film. I want a nebulous ending. Bet no, I because I want I don't want them to pigeonhole themselves into something. Okay, well we kind of set up we kind of have to do it this way.
Speaker 1: But you just said that the that uh that Rosemond was not the kind of bad guy that you're done in this kind of move. What if it ended with that voice being like some kind of significantly more threatening presence who maybe one of the horsemen does die at the end. You're like, oh my god, this guy means business, Like when Captain Barbosa comes back from the dead. Yeah, Like you're like, okay, now we mean business like. This was just more like more wackiness is coming. You get ready for it.
Speaker 2: So so I don't know if I've brought this up. I know I've thought about bringing this up on this podcast several times, and I may have brought it up Silicon Valley HBO show.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it, but I'm familiar with it. Okay.
Speaker 2: Every single episode is about these like, you know, really smart tech guys that like face this huge daunting Oh my goodness, this is going to wreck the planet technology. Yeah, and then some miracle happens.
Speaker 1: Sure, okay, and.
Speaker 2: To god whatever, and and then like oh thank god. And then they always put like a scene right at the end like, oh no, it's even worse than we thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: It was every blanking episode.
Speaker 1: And Barry the uh Bill, Yeah, that every episode would be like I can't wait till next week.
Speaker 2: And and and it was always just like it took you on this ride of like it's this is good, this is good, this is good.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's bad. It's bad. It's bad. It's bad. It's so bad. It's so bad.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's awesome, it's awesome. And then the last fifteen seconds, oh my god, it's off. It's worse than it was ever, you know. And that and that's how it and I feel like to do that in this film where it's like you know, you're you're you're happy, you know, like the old Horseman and these quasi new horsemen or whatever. It's it's great. And then to have like a thano stinger or something like that at the end. I get what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that was kind of more of what I was expecting, especially knowing you're getting another one already, because there's no guarantee. It's kind of like how we left twenty eight years later not knowing there was going to be a part two, and I was like, what the hell just happened? And then you realize there's a part two, You're like, oh, that's a great ending, Like I'm very excited to see what this crew of crazy people is going to do with this kid on the other side of it. Yeah, and there isn't that moment. They definitely leave you wanting more and like, I'm sure it'll be fun and like, uh, I have a feeling that there's going to be a passing of the torch in that next movie, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because well I don't know. I think this type of movie does not necessarily prevent you from being an active character while getting older.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, I would agree with that.
Speaker 2: I don't know any of these actors in this movie who would turn down a chance to do this film again. Ala Fisher came back for this. She was super excited to do it again. I can't imagine any of them would turn this down. It's not like any of these careers are just skyrocketing to the moon.
Speaker 1: I mean, i'd say, Whaty Harrelson doesn't have to take any work. He doesn't want to take the stage of his own. But I think he likes doing it. He's with all these younger people. Yeah, and he thought he was great in this. We really haven't touched on him too much. I thought his character was awesome in this movie. His character is awesome in every single every single movie. Yeah, No, that's real. Although I will say what bothered me about him is that, like I realized it's the writing, right, Like you can't it's not actually him. I understand this, But when he's like, ah, these young people can't stay focused, I'm like, bro, you're Woody Harrelson, Like it doesn't make any sense that this is coming out of your mouth.
Speaker 2: Was he drinking at the end of the movie with.
Speaker 1: Some kind of pomegranate like juice? Drinks.
Speaker 2: So it was alcohol yeah, because that was like.
Speaker 1: The running gag because like gen Z, they don't drink man, Like they're not drinking.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was like a THHC drink or something.
Speaker 1: Oh, I just assumed it was some fruity drink that you know, tastes good but not alcoholic. And he clearly had a drinking problem throughout most of the true Oh I forgot about that, yeah, And so so that it was just.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, turning the corner, like Okay, his life's not over, and.
Speaker 1: Which like they do a really good job of like subtly hinting at a super depressing life for him, but like not really ever bringing the paste down. Like during the interrogation scene, Roseman Pike just like hits him with a line. Then I'm like, wait, did I miss something? But when when did that? And like no, it's just she picked up on his mannerisms and kind of mentalisted him a little bit, and I'm like, this is that's like that that was actually too smart of a scene to be in this movie. Probably it was a really cool sit I just think that all four horsemen were portrayed as having a really depressing post horse in different ways, in different ways.
Speaker 2: Like I think the only one that sort of achieved happiness was Henley, and even she was like she gets the card from the eye and she didn't seem to fight it, like you know, there's a certain part of her life that was just left unfulfilled. Daniel Atlas never wanted The Horseman to break up, so you knew he was ticked off. I can't imagine Dave frank. I mean it seemed like Dave Franco kind of talked himself into doing like what he was doing on these cruises was awesome and it was great, but he really didn't believe it do it for the perks. Yeah. And Barrett McKinney wanted to kill himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this was you pick up on The Horseman ten years later in a very mostly very very dark place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it speaks to different personality types because I think you and I have very like in mind. I've lived out here for just over three years at this point, but like by and large, I'm a city guy, right, Yeah, very different environment that I have moved out out into here. And so when I see the Henley story, like I was hanging out with people like not a million years, you know what I mean. And so you're like, well, no, that's not selling out, that's that's achieving the that's the picket fence, that's the dog and two children and all that. I'm sitting there, I'm like, yeah, you know what I mean. Yeah, And it just depends on the personality perspective, whether you're older and you're kind of going through you know, a little bit of a rough patch. Maybe Woody Harrelson's experiences a little more. Maybe you had that low paid job where you thought you were making a difference, then you end up in a corporate gig and you're Dave Franco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll bring this up too. Outside of Henley, none of these characters had any family that we knew about, all right, Yeah, Dave Franco split up with Lizzie Kaplan's character. We phone out at the at the at the start of the movie, and you could tell the way he talked about it he was pretty depressed about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I thought they were setting him up with that June girl. My this is so creepy. Please don't make this sound Oh you couldn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, Frank was like forty one. How old is she?
Speaker 1: How old she is? No, I can find out.
Speaker 2: She's got to be like early twenties, got to be early eighteen.
Speaker 1: She's eighteen, born in August twenty seventh, two thousand and seven. She is a young eighteen.
Speaker 2: I remember there was an episode of Talking Dead, which you're familiar with, right, that's like the post Yeah, and god, can I can see the guy. I cannot think of what the showrunner was like for the Walking Dead universe. Oh, this is going to irritate me. Not Greg Nickottaro, Oh I thought that too.
Speaker 1: It was nothing. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: Anyway, he was on and they asked about a potential are we seeing a relationship developed between Lauren Cohen's little sister who I'm forgetting what her name was, Bethany in real life? I want to say, I don't know her little sister on the show and Daryl Dick norman Ritis's character.
Speaker 1: Oh sure.
Speaker 2: And Chris Hardwick brought this up to whoever the and he basically it totally caught me off card He's like, it's like, well, I'm not even going to dignify that with a response, like it would be so creepy. Yeah, because she was like twenty yeah, and Darryl Dixon in real life is like fifty something. I'm like, oh yeah, whoa okay, But yeah, I never I never really saw that. I thought that was just more of a matching of wits.
Speaker 1: Yes, now after having seen the whole movie. Yeah, I don't put it past Hollywood to do anything stupid. And that was when I'm like, don't do it, don't do it, don't do it. And they put my mind at ease till the end.
Speaker 2: We talked about we talked about how formulaic this was and how close it was to the second one.
Speaker 1: Do you like that?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's giving people what they want. I mean the second one was successful, so let's just do it again? Or do you think you need the twist? But sometimes the twists spend are not the twists we want, And it's like, wow, I didn't like that they did that. This is this is what Hollywood is dealing with when trying to create stuff that's going to sell. It's like, how much of it do we do that's the same but not so same, not so similar that everybody says, oh it sucks, they just redid it. But you gotta be make it a little bit different to the point where it's like, oh, that's not what worked. That that I don't want to see that. That wasn't good. It's a balancing act.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting you bring that up because I can share my own experience with it. I wanted there to be one more big magic trick. I felt like they replaced Oh you don't like the big reveal, No, no, no, I mean I think they replaced a middle of the movie magic trick with that awesome fight scene in the Magic House, And what's wrong with that? So I say that to say. I was sitting there, half of my brain was like, I wanted it to do because that's the normal formula is, here's the trick that introduces you to what the movie is gonna be about. Here's that mid tier trick where stuff kind of goes sideways and kind of sets up where the rest of the movie's going, which technically does happen in this scene still, and then and then here's the big trick at the end, that's the final act of what this film is going to be. And I sat there, half of my brain was like, I really wish they had one more of those awesome little trick moments where they do like a big thing and some rich guy ends up getting screwed over, and part of me was like, actually, this diversion from the path is probably the best part of the movie in my opinion, and probably the most enjoyable sequence. So, like I can see, I am of two minds about it, because I found myself leaving there thinking I wanted that extra trick and also thinking I didn't want to lose that scene. So like, I thought it was formulaic, and it kind of broke the mold a little bit in that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I think the mold is mostly together for me after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I shouldn't say broke the mold. That's extreme, But at least they went about in a different route.
Speaker 2: They tried to do something a little bit different. I don't think it was different enough. I'm ask I'm gonna spoiler free. I want to ask you about the role the elevator played in the final reveal. Okay, when we see what they were doing in regards to the elevator mm hm, and knowing that that the the heart diamond that that everybody's after in this film is what sixty Stories Underground fifty stories underground in the desert or whatever. It's down, it's underground.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh I had the same thought already, know what you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Say, I'm not going to say it. Then, Yeah, did that?
Speaker 1: So that clearly makes any sense? It doesn't make any freaking sense. Yes, I'm like watching this, I'm like, okay, that that that wouldn't you know? You know? I was thinking. So in Pittsburgh there's a place called the Carnegie Science Center. Andrew Carnegie and built it, and it's a place Carnegie. You don't even start with Carnegie. Oh, I will turn this podcast around right now.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, just give me a second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where's he from? He's from Pittsburgh. Okay, you are the only person, granted you're from the Pittsburgh area. Yeah, you're the.
Speaker 2: Only person I've ever ever heard and a nationwide level, Yeah, including other people from Pittsburgh card not that I know other people. Yeah, I've never heard that. Yeah, a buddy of mine from New York about do you know Dale Carnegie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Carnegie Hall and all that. Jezz, there's definitely Carnegie. But he's Andrew Carnegie, and.
Speaker 2: So I'm never gonna get used to that.
Speaker 1: So the Carnegie Science Center's there, though, and they have a thing.
Speaker 2: Almost seems racist, quite frankly, like you're going, you know, I don't think that there's a whole lot of black people in central Pennsylvania, but it almost seems like you guys are going out of your way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, go ahead. But I say all that to say, they had an elevator in the Carnegie Science Center where there'd be like a minor and he would be taking you further and further into the Earth's crust, but you never actually opened the doors. It clearly didn't actually go anywhere. It would just rock back and forth while you were in there. And when you were seven, you thought you were going to the center of the Earth. But it's not that. But no, I say that to say, when you're twelve, you know this is a thing and the elevator isn't going anywhere, And they essentially are trying to convince you that these grown ask people fell for the fact that that elevator was going somewhere, Like I just it doesn't make any Oh, it was going somewhere, right, but not in the direction. That's what I was just like they they there's gotta you know, it doesn't make any sense. And I'm sitting there thinking of carnag and I'm like, who's following for this right now?
Speaker 2: There were certain and I mentioned too with the with the portrait at the at the Paris mansion. I brought that up to in regards to who with all these people here that are trained to sniff out bs, that are trained to fool people for a living. And this guy's like, oh wait a minute.
Speaker 1: Oh look at oh look at this guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that this is the stuff I'm talking about. That was The elements were there, but they needed it. This needed this script needed one more rewrite, not a rewrite, but it needed one final edit to go through it and fix these tweaks because it I spent two minutes thinking about this, right And I feel like if I had a few weeks to think about this, yeah, I could have easily come up disect with answers to like, oh, how do how do we fix this?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: You just do this? Oh yeah, perfect, that's much better than we had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agree. There there were definitely a couple of moments of that, and I mean, and I even said to you, like, I mean we're probably getting close to ratings here. But despite the fact that the plot was very similar to Running Man, or I shouldn't say the plot, the message of the movie is very similar to Running Man. I found myself, I don't know, I don't know if i'd agree with that really now, I guess it's more so just like a ninety nine percent one percent totally. They flat out referred to themselves as anti capitalist magicians in this movie. I'm like, Oh, this is a freaking charged way to describe yourself in this climate. Like that's a falsy move, but like there's definitely an element of like, here's the Blood Diamond people and the way they take advantage of people, and that's always been the theme of these movies, and that very much. It was like, here's the media people and how they take advantage of people. In Running Man, I think there's a very similar message of what the movie is. I guess I agree, and and I found myself thoroughly more engaged and questioning less in Running Man. Despite the fact that there were just as many plot holes and logical inconsistencies in that one.
Speaker 2: Is that I didn't notice it as much, Right, That's.
Speaker 1: Just it is. It wasn't as apparent as it was yesterday. But nevertheless, do you know what Ariana? Did you know Ariana green Blatz is in Marvel? Ariana Greenblat? Who do I? That's Rune? That's that's that's the eighteen year old we were talking about. You know she's in Marble.
Speaker 2: No, that's not that's her name. Yeah, Oh that's her real name, June June, June June.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, who who is she in the Marble? So I was I had her filmography up because I didn't recognize any of it, and like, as soon as I say the movie, you'll probably give it away because now that we know she's eighteen? How many people? Was she in Miss Marvel? She in the Marvels? Was she in x Men? Is she gonna beet one of the x Men movies? No, she's been in. She in one already and you've definitely seen it. Man boy, think about one of the most impressive Hollywood achievements ever in the form. She was an Endgame half we were the close. She was an Infinity War Yeah, and I'm trying to remember who she would have been she Did she play like a superhero super villain? Nope? Was technically then I see as soon as I saw it was Infinity War, I'm like, oh, it has to be this person.
Speaker 2: And it was Yeah, how much of the movie are they in.
Speaker 1: Two or three minutes? I give up? She's young Mora. Oh really yeah, oh I I would not have guessed that really immediately, I'm like, this has to be right, but I looked it up just to be sure. But yeah, about that. After you snap your fingers, that's who you go and talk to. Yeah, what did it cost you? Everything? Everything?
Speaker 2: Okay? Good stuff?
Speaker 1: Can it work? Yeah? All right, I think we're all right.
Speaker 2: Anything else to say on the on this, Uh, like I've exhausted everything we've talked about. Eisenberg, Merret McKinney, Dave Franco, the New Horseman, I think, uh, for me, get a lot of credibility right away.
Speaker 1: It's it's gonna be. They're the new Avengers to me, and not the Thunderbolts. I mean the new Avengers at the end of the even realistically, the new the Thunderbolts are going to take some time for them to grow on me a little bit. Well.
Speaker 2: The other thing with Thunderbolts not that I want to turn this into Marble. They're competing against so much, right, the Thunderbolts are competing against We found out at the end of Fantastic Four there's a lawsuit filed against them for utilizing it. So we know that Captain America and Falcon New Falcon have their team, the Young Avengers have their team, the Fantastic Four coming around the Blanket X Men. So it's just like, this is like bigger than the Avengers now at this point, it's much bigger. And then you get like battle World or whatever coming up with doomsday and like and.
Speaker 1: Tony dark is is Victor von dum Yeah, I mean guy says we can't spoil anything. He's running around, has been on the internet for years. My dad hears this. He definitely didn't know that was gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Well, then your dad is I'm sorry. I'm just I'm assuming certain people are on the internet. I was at I was at the Harley Homecoming festival last year, getting ready to watch was it Cypress Hill? No, it was after Cypress Hill. Who's coming on? After Oh Red Hot Chili Peppers, Oh Cool? I was getting ready for that. All of a sudden, my phone is blowing up because Comic Con was going on, and they just revealed Robert town Jr.
Speaker 1: As I'm like, what is it? All right? It was, and like and like, uh, it's so funny. One of that because I've watched the reveals, like everybody has their own YouTube reveals, and and so this one guy was like filming it and they're like, oh, the one person that could that could ever play Victor von dum or whatever. And then this guy is filming at this idiot. This guy is filming it right as is taking his mask off. He's like, it's Jared Leto. That's very tough. I do want to I'll bring this back to the movie here from Marvel, please, but I'm gonna have to use it because you said you were researching this movie in the lead up too, And I have to say, as much as Ai bothers, me and I have tried to become the opposite of that as I get older, because I think I spoiled so much of Phase one, two and three of Marvel by researching the shit out of it that there was some stuff that would have blown my mind that didn't catch me as off guard as I would have as I wanted it to. So I kind of avoid that stuff. What's interesting is that I see it with Doomsday, and I'm willing to bet I don't know if these now You See Me movies are high enough cachet to pull it off. Eighty percent of what's out there now is deep fakes. There's a chance that I've seen real stuff that's gonna happen in Doomsday, but I don't know that I saw it because there's so much other fake information that looks real. People. Have you seen the pictures of like the entire old school X Men cast just hanging out talking behind the scenes in like their cartoon accurate outfits in live action And I'm just like, okay, so is this either going to piss me off? And they're standing there and it's like six X Men with Toby Maguire Spider Man, and I'm like, okay, so this is either spoiling it like everybody's saying it, say I, and like I'm saying, like the era of being able to spoil this stuff for yourself, You may spoil it, but you're never gonna know enough to know if you spoiled it or just read another deep fake. And I actually love that because we have spoiled way too much shit for ourselves, and like, it's not like like I knew we were gonna snap away everybody in Infinity War in that movie. I didn't lose anything from that because I knew the story. I didn't, you see, I had read the original, so I knew where he was ultimately headed. And I didn't lose anything. But if I, like my brother and I happen to be at the same theater, we didn't go together, but we happened to be. He did not know how that movie was gonna end. I'm walking out with my girlfriend. He's walking out with his girlfriend and he happens to drive past me when I'm walking out. He goes, Dude, he goes, I know you're at this movie. I'm like me, neither. He goes, what the F You're like, yeah, man, tell me about it, like he was like, and he never acts that way about movies. Like I'm like, oh, I'm jealous of that feeling right now.
Speaker 2: I did not. I did not see it opening night, and I think I had a show or something going on, so I couldn't see it. I was gonna see it the next day, and I couldn't.
Speaker 1: Resist, you know, me, I can't. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I went on the internet and I think it was Variety or something, and somebody posted, here's here's the fallout from all those superheroes dying at the end of Infinity War. And I'm and I'm looking at it, and they're showing these these still images of you know, Scarlet Witch turning to dust and Falcon turning to dust and everybody you know, and I'm like, oh my god, well, this clearly isn't real. Yeah back then, back then, I just thought it was fake. So then I actually see the movie and I'm like, my god, it was it real? And then all of a sudden they started I'm like, oh my, it's I I spoiled it. I still didn't believe it, and then I had the same reaction.
Speaker 1: And that's the world we live in. Six out of ten, I'm gonna go seven and a half on this.
Speaker 2: I Like I said, I my biggest critique on this was that it was just it was too repetitive from the second one. But ultimately I love the second one, so why wouldn't I love this one. Well, it's because it was a lot of the same stuff. But that's okay. I still enjoyed it cannot go lower than a seven. Also, couldn't give it an eight seven and a half.
Speaker 1: You think the second one was better than though, just based on typically yes, because and what did you make of the big reveal at the end, like the final trick reveal, like the whole Oh, I thought it was well done outside of the element you're talking about, like the.
Speaker 2: Whole the whole thing, the whole process, the whole lead up, the set up everything.
Speaker 1: So so to me, it was like you've said.
Speaker 2: This before when when you're watching a movie and you're like, oh, I've seen this movie before, I seen this done before, And I'm kind of like, ah, well, you know, it was a little bit of a letdown, but not a massive one. And uh and and so I think that's my biggest problem with this. But I do like the lead up that we're going to see a fourth one hopefully yeah, and hopefully soon, and hopefully Morgan Freeman's in it. But I don't know, you never.
Speaker 1: Know exactly the best horror movie that I would like to see Daniel Radcliffe come back for the I have a feeling he will, he will, yeah, But the best horror movie I've seen since.
Speaker 2: Him and Rosamund Pike teaming up to take down the horse.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. I like, add a little bit of that.
Speaker 2: And Andy Garcia just throw him get Terry benedict in on this.
Speaker 1: But I I love Smile. I think the original Smile is one of the best things to come out in a decade. Smile two is the exact same movie in every way. If I saw a Smile too first, I'd probably tell you that was the better one because it's the same Smile.
Speaker 2: She was the same as Smile.
Speaker 1: It's the same movie, just a different. Instead of being a psychiatrist, she's a pop singer, but the same, it's the same plot points, has the exact same.
Speaker 2: The twenty one and twenty two Jump Street movies, I mean twenty two Jump Street. Like just points that out, like, like Nick Offerman, is that his name Nick Afferman from yes, where He's like saying, just do the same thing again. Yes, it's the exact same you know it like and and we as the audience are like, well, but it's a it's a comedy, so it's a little bit different, so we can actually respect it a little.
Speaker 1: But when you when you take the chances, you chance everybody like Megan two point zero. You chance there and being like I actually kind of hated that compared to the first one. Yes, or you say I actually kind of love that compared to the first one. Not with Megan, but you like with Terminator too. Instead of making the same thing again, you're like, I'm gonna do something totally different. Yeah, and uh with this, what we're seeing is they're like, let's not take the chance, let's not roll the dice. No one's gonna think this is the best one, but nobody's gonna come out of it hating it. And the cast is strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anytime you have magic and twists, like you know, you know, the writing is gonna be good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was good.
Speaker 2: It wasn't great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's where I'm at with it here. We don't know where we're going with this show. For me, there's not a lot of good stuff out there. I do want to do the Five Nights movie, but I don't even know if that's coming out till two weekends from now. I think we have two weekends from that, but we'll figure it out. We'll talk a little bit off the air, but until then, that's bulky. I'm Ben this is off topic. Have a good Thanksgiving everybody. We'll talk to you next week.