Speaker 1: It's nice eyes with Dan Ray. I'm telling you easy Boston's news radio very.
Speaker 2: More much Madison, and I'll tell you thank God it's Friday tgif I suspect many of you feel that way for a whole bunch of reasons, one of which is that summer will arrive officially during our program. So we're going to start in the spring, and we're going to finish in the summer. And by the end of the show, and certainly by the first two or three days, we will be broiling. And we're going to talk with a Boston Globe media relogist, Ken Mahan at eight forty five about that. We're going to talk with the mayor of Wemster, Dean Mazarella, and we're also going to talk about a new show called Moonwalkers. It's a journey with Tom Hanks during this program. But first, after I introduced myself as Dan Ray, the actual host of Nightside with Dan Ray and Rob Brooks. After having enjoyed an evening off our day off yesterday, is back in his normal position in the WBZ control room with us. We're delighted to be joined by really long time in an excellent WBZ News reporter, great friend, Kendall Buell. Kendall, welcome to Night's side. I think you've been with us before, but it's been a while.
Speaker 3: It has been a long time, Dan, great talking to you.
Speaker 2: Great to talk with you. So you were up in Gloucester today for the re enactment of the Battle of bunker Hill. But Bunker Hill was about thirty miles to the south or the southwest. There's a little confusion here, so let's start to unravel this. Why was the two hundred and fiftieth commemoration of the Battle of bunker Hill, which really really was, I think arguably the beginning of the revolution, with all due respects to our friends in Conquered and Lexington. Why was the recreation of it the commemoration of it?
Speaker 3: Loster Well, because the organizers are going big, really big, as well they should because you're absolutely right, then, Conquered Lexington, those were skirmishes. Bunker Hill was the big battle that really kicked off the Revolutionary War. That's the one that sent the message to the Crown that they had a fight on their hands, and also sent the message to the militia across Massachusetts and across the colonies that they could take the fight to the British. So it's such an important event to commemorate as we stand here on the eve of the nation's two hundred and fiftieth birthday. Of course, we just celebrated the two hundred and fiftieth birthday of the Army and that's exactly really what the birth of the Army was really the Battle of Bunker Hill. So this is such a huge event and the the organizers decided to really go big. We're talking about a thousand reenactors and then thousands and thousands of people who are going to be in Gloucester to watch for each of the days of the events. And the fact is, if you have that many people the real Bunker Hill, well it's not going to do it. Charles Town has changed quite a bit over the last two hundred and fifty years and with the urban development there, you really couldn't do such a large scale operation, just as far as having all that many reenactors, but also logistically speaking, accommodating that many spectators as well. One of the organizers in Gloucester said that the parking alone has just been a logistical nightmare for them. It's enough that they've cracked, they feel, but it was a very hard thing to do. It is very hard when you look at all the people who are going to be coming to Gloucester and just how big of an event that they have planned. It's very hard to imagine it actually happening in Charlestown.
Speaker 2: So this is throughout the weekend in Gloucester. Tonight's Friday, obviously the twenty The Battle of Bunker Hill, I guess was actually on the seventeenth, if I'm not mistaken, Yes, yes, So have they reenacted the battle or is the best yet to come? And will that happen over the weekend?
Speaker 3: They're not. So Today was all about getting set up, and getting set up was exactly what was going on from very early on as they put up the tents and just kind of secured the perimeter of the area. There was a press conference this morning where we heard from the Mayor of Gloucester, Greg Virga, various people from Revolution two fifty who have been helping organize this event. State Senator Bruce tar the Senate min Order leader, was there. He is actually going to be one of the reenactors is tomorrow in honor of one of his ancestors. Who was one of the youngest combatants in that particular battle. They just kind of set the stage for everything today. Then came the crews who are setting up the encampments, and then the setting up of the fortification is going to be the first real big events starting tomorrow. This is when the colonial militiamen, seeing that they had the British, were advancing on where they were bunker and breeds Hills, trying to get the high ground so that they could mess with the British navy, who we're going to try to break the siege of Boston. It was feverish work to get these fortifications, these redoubts as they're called, all set up, and that is going to begin the whole reenactment tomorrow at eight point thirty, and then throughout the day tomorrow you're going to have the British first landing, although they're actually not going to be coming by sea, but they're going to be showing up at half Boon Beach there in Gloucester. The first attack on those colonial missures militias will be at one o'clock, and then the second and then ultimately the third successful attack on the Colonials will start taking place at four o'clock and then the whole thing is going to be repeated on Sunday, doing it on two consecutive days just so that they could really accommodates as many spectators as possible, because they're very, very excited to tell this story and to bring this seminal piece of America's history to life for as many people as they can.
Speaker 2: Well, I know talking to having talked over the years to some of the enactors, they take this very seriously and when they practice for these events, they want everything to be just so, and it's great. Any idea how many thousands of people? I guess either day will work, But is there is there any tips we can give any of our listeners that one day might be a little easier than the next. I'm thinking that maybe Sunday might be a better day to get up there. Or is it flipping a coin?
Speaker 3: It is absolutely a flip of a coin. I am not going to venture up trying to get anybody advice on what day to go. But the advice that I will pass on, and this comes from the Gloucester Police, is check the Gloucester PD Facebook page or go to the Revolution two fifty website. They're going to have real time updates on which of the satellite parking lots become full, which are more easily accessible at any given time with the traffic patterns and all that, because that's what people are going to want to do. They're going to want to go to these satellite parking spots that have been set up around Gloucester, around Manchester and avail themselves of the free shuttles that'll get them there. And of course, yeah, it is, it really is. And of course Gloucester is served by the MBTA, so that would really be a very good way for people to get there. But yeah, the officials are being very proactive and keeping people informed on what's going on just from a traffic and parking standpoint, to try to ease the expected congestion as much as possible.
Speaker 2: Well, Kendall, I'll tell you, I don't know if you're going to be working this weekend, but if you are, you're going to have a front row seat. And I know that you're a history buff yourself. You have a lot of aspects of it that maybe people who don't know us very well. You're a very active guy, kept in shape all the time, so I think that if you're up there tomorrow, are they going to be some fine reporting, that's for sure. So thanks so much Kendal for all the information tonight and really set it up really well. And I appreciate particularly you're working on a Friday night, that's for sure. Thanks Kendal, appreciate so much. Look forward to seeing you around.
Speaker 3: Absolutely my pleasure there.
Speaker 2: All right, Kendall. But ladies and gentlemen who is on the scene in Gloucester with the reenactment of the Battle of Bunker Hill in Charlestown will take place tomorrow and on Sunday when we get back, we're going to talk with the Dean, i should say with Dean Mayor, Dean Mazarella, the mayor of Leminster. Lemister is going to be competing along with about nineteen other communities nationwide for one of the ten All American City Awards. Though that's not bad odds if there's going to be ten winners out of nineteen competitors. We're going to talk with the mayor on the other side. By the way, if you haven't pulled down that WBZ app, which is really an iHeartRadio app, go to your app store pull it down. New and improved. Put it on all your devices, your laptops, your desktops, your phones, your tablets, what whatever you have. And when you do that, please make WBZ your number one preset on that, just like on your car radio, so that we will always be just a fingertip away from wherever you might happen to be in the world. You'll be able to check in on WBZ as to what's going on in Boston. And the other thing which I'd like to draw to your attention when you do pull it down onto any of your devices, there's a talkback button there and you can actually leave us a thirty second commentary. You can tell me something you like about Nightside, something you don't like about Nightside, something you liked about a comment or whatever. We of course always want you to call the show is because it's a radio talk show. But if you're in a position where, let's say, I don't know one o'clock in the afternoon someday the thought strikes you, gee I like that or didn't like that, you can take advantage of the iHeart app and be in touch directly with WBZ. My name is Dan Ray. We will be in touch directly with Mayor Mazzarella a beautiful Lemonster, Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: Right after this, It's Night Side with Dan Ray, Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to a Friday night edition of the night Side News Update with us is longtime mayor of Leminster, Massachusetts, Mayor Dean Mazzarella. Mayor Mazzarella, I covered you as a TV reporter. Now we're doing something on the radio. How are you tonight, sir?
Speaker 4: I'm good. I just seems like a while that we've got a chance to to speaks. Are you?
Speaker 2: Are you besides being a man a mayor named dean dean in this case Dean Mazzarella, are you also the dean of the Massachusetts mayor mayors?
Speaker 4: So what they say is that I'm the longest serving mayor ever ever?
Speaker 2: Wow? When were you first elected? What year?
Speaker 4: There's no there's no benefits to this.
Speaker 2: No, ninety three? Yeow, so ninety three you now have done over thirty.
Speaker 4: Years, right, thirty second year. I was a cop for ten and business owner for the whole time I was throwing both. I wonder you know how you know how it goes three and flies?
Speaker 2: Oh? Believe you know the Latin the Romans had it right with the Latin phrase tempest fugit. So I wonder if there's a mayor and you're the mayor of a legitimate city. I mean, you're not the mayor of you know, backwater West Virginia, pardon my you know, and there was you know, we po dunk Iowa or something. You're a mayor of a real side.
Speaker 4: I'm wondering if a man. Yeah, I you're the manager. You're the actual city manager, right, But.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if that, if you may not be the longest serving mayor in the nation.
Speaker 4: I'm up there. I can tell you up there, I guess, Like you know, there's some smaller cities that you know, the mayor's been there longer. But I'm up there, I guess. But well, say you some to think about it, well.
Speaker 2: Mayor Mazzarella. Some of these cities have, like I'm in Wyoming, they have twelve residents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, I'm the.
Speaker 2: Mayor here of bug Tussel Wilhoaming since I was fourteen years old. I'm maybe three now, and nobody else wants to run against me. Geez, that's as a nineteen ninety three mayor. Just to give it in some perspective, I was just beginning my efforts on behalf of the Joe Solvati story. Getting Joe and three other guys out of prison took fifteen years.
Speaker 4: For us fourteen. You know, you know that Peter Lamoney was my father's best friend.
Speaker 2: I had heard that, and Peter, who I got to know after you get out, very nice man. Okay. I can't talk about what he might have done during his career, uh but but I think there was a time when he actually saved the life of a guard in a prison riot and walk in Walpoles, and I know a little bit about that. But I spent Dick Barrow worked in that case so long, and I spent, I spent.
Speaker 4: I remember fourteen years.
Speaker 2: And then the day that Joe and Peter and the estates of the two men who died in jail were awarded one hundred and one million dollars and they got the money. They got one hundred and six million, sixteen million dollars from the FEDS. That's the day I started this program nightside. And we're now in our eighteenth years.
Speaker 4: So I remember, no, I remember, and I remember it well and well. They all grew up in the West End. My father was a West End sure. Yeah, and you know they stayed friends forever no matter where they moved or you.
Speaker 2: Know where they were moved to where they with the case of Peter, Peter at a great restaurant on Cambridge Street. So let's talk about this honor. Has the city of Lemonster ever competed for one of these All American Cities Awards? Previously? Never?
Speaker 4: And that's what's sorry, I mean I think we've put in but this time we made the finals. We're one of twenty and uh next week we'll be heading up to Denver, Colorado, and we're going to.
Speaker 3: Go for the gold.
Speaker 4: You know, we're going to go for for the final. Wow, and I'm pretty excited. We're excited about it. It's it's uh, it's we've never made it this far and uh so yeah, we're excited.
Speaker 2: How many just just to put in perspective, every year, how many people, how many cities try to win the nomination when when they.
Speaker 4: Starts in hundreds, hundreds and hundreds. Yeah, and we made it to the we made it to the finals.
Speaker 2: And what and so they're out of the twenty finalist ten so you got a fifty to fifty shot here. Ten right, we'll be given that designation. So the question is what did they judge? What are you judged on? Are you judged on cleanliness? Are you judged on you know, good government? Are you judged on crime? What? What? What are you judged on? Do you have any.
Speaker 4: Idea well, like take for example, Johnny Oppis was born in Leminster. Johnny Appleseed was all about nature and and you know, planted trees and we had the last running orchard, apple orchard in the city where Johnny Applete was born, and it was about to be developed. We stepped in and the community got together and it was over five or six million dollars total at the end, but we ended up raising enough money, getting some state grants and then we purchased it. But beyond that, they looked for the sustainability, like, okay, so you purchased it twenty years ago, so you know, how's it going. And one of the things they looked at is were you able to keep you know, that orchard running and you know things like that. So you know, you did a project, you did something that you know, changed the community, how did you sustain yourself through the process, And that's really what the whole that's what our you know, that's how we were selected on the sustainability and right now that orchard runs ninety volunteers. It's it's it's an incredible resource for the city. It helped to preserve the reservoirs that surround it. So and it's one of those pieces of land that on a clared day you can see Boston. So you know, they look for, you know, what was the project and is it did it sustain itself with the use you keep it going?
Speaker 2: Okay, So that really is in this competition. Lemonster's calling card, that's one of them.
Speaker 4: And then we had the big floods in September level and ten days later we had the journey up to Sea Festival, you know, in the same place that had five feet of water. So you know, that's what they're looking for. That's what they're hoping to see.
Speaker 2: Resilience, you know, resilience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little engine that could and traditionally.
Speaker 2: All of that. How many people are in your great city at this point?
Speaker 4: How many forty five thousand people? We still have seventy two factories in the community that are very lean and energy of fission and we recycle a lot of plastic. We make a lot of plastic, but we recycle probably more than any other place the country. We get plastic that comes from the ocean and recycle it. There are companies here that make things like via degradeable g cops that people use in their coffee every day. And so very diverse in the community. We have many, many, you know, countries represented here and everybody's That's the other thing that's unique is it's so diverse and everybody gets along. And you know, Devon's was very close. In the military, you have to be a team. Construction was big Inleminster. You got to work as a team. Manufacturing was you know, it's still you know, it's still huge in Lemister. And you got to work as a team. And that's the stuff that breaks down racial diversity and divide personalities is these are things that nobody cares. You have to work as a team. Military, construction and u and manufacturing.
Speaker 2: Well. Best of luck. Uh, not that you need any luck, because I think you deserve it. I'll also tell you a little known fact about Leminster. My mom was born there.
Speaker 4: I know that, you know, I think I knew.
Speaker 2: That once before. Yes, well, I had my roots a little bit in Lemonster, And uh, every time I've been up there, I've enjoyed the community, enjoyed that whole neck of the woods up in a central mass up in north central Massachusetts. Keep us posted. And when you win this thing, you bring, bring all the gold. I'd love to have you back on and talk about it.
Speaker 4: I have to tell you your loyal listeners. George mc namara is a guy from Lemons that I know. George, and this guy was your pr man. There was never a conversation that didn't have your name in it. I can tell you that he never missed the show, he never missed attendance. And he passed away just about a year ago, and he was had.
Speaker 2: Word from George in a while.
Speaker 4: And oh yeah.
Speaker 2: You get to become friends with people. I remember George. God do I remember George and I he was a good guy. Yeah. Sometimes you think, well, maybe people have lost interest or they've you know, they've moved moved.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well hopefully if thing now is my cruise when I used to drive the cruise that you can only dial in on w b Z right at night, listen to Larry Clake over the night. Yeah, today you can take the app with you in anywhere in the world you can listen.
Speaker 2: I hope you take the app to Denver and you let us know and we'll have you back when you win. Okay, I'm not gonna jinks you. You you got you. You are destined for greatness here for a whole bunch of reasons. You're you're great anyway. Always enjoyed govern here and I so enjoyed our conversation tonight. And if if you talk to any of Georgie's family, please pass along. Michael Dolen says, I've had not informed of that.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, Well, well.
Speaker 2: Mayor Mazzarella, Dean Mayor Mazzarella, who also I think is the Dean of Massachusetts mayors. The Mayor of Lemistry is going to Denver. He's gonna win a big award for the city of Leminster, and we'll tell you all about it when it comes back. Thanks again, Mayor. We'll talk soon. All right, We get back and to talk about the Moonwalkers. A Journey with Tom Hanks, an immersive cinematic experience, so one of a kind perspective on Humankinds past and future voyages to the Moon, narrated by none other event Tom Hanks. We'll be back with all the specifics right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everybody. There's a big event coming up in Boston and it's going to be at the Sanders cat the Saunders Castle in Boston, which with us is Richard Slaney. He's the CEO of Light Room. The company behind this immersive experience is called The Moonwalkers, a Journey with Tom Hanks, narrated by Hanks. It's an immersive cinematic experience, so one of a kind perspective on humankind's past and future voyages to the Moon. This sounds fabulous. Richard Slaney, welcome to Nightside. How are you.
Speaker 5: I'm very good, Thanks for having nice to be.
Speaker 2: So when how was this project born and how did you folks get involved in it? And how long has it been in the incubator.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a really funny story. Actually we made a big immersive show in London with the artist David Hockney and the week we opened, Tom Hanks came as a guest of David and we just got chatting in the room. So our room in London is a big immersive room projected on all sides, and Tom was just immediately taken with the space and the format, and he said, well, you could do anything in here. You could walk on the moon in here. And I said to him, well, okay, how about we make a show, you know? And some months later Tom had written a script. He's obsessed with the Apollo missions. He's obsessed with space, as many people know from his movies and TV productions he's made about this subject, and we wanted to make something different, and we went about it, worked with NASA, worked with Tom, and a few months later we'd made The moon Walkers and it's been a huge hit in London and we're just thrilled to bring it out to Boston.
Speaker 2: So it premiered in London. Is that the proper term?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I guess it is. It's somewhere between a film and an art installation. Really, it's hard to describe until you've been in it. But yeah, we had a premiere in London a little over a year ago and we're probably now sort of more than two hundred and fifty thousand people something like that have been to seat in London, alongside of other shows, and it's just It's just a really wonderful show that Tom's made because it tells you the Apollo story and for those who were who were there in that era and they remember the moon landings, it's very nostalgic in that way.
Speaker 3: Has got great.
Speaker 5: Footage and stuff like that. But also, yeah.
Speaker 2: From watching it on a black and white television sitting on the floor.
Speaker 5: Well that's it, you know, That's what Tom talks about. He remembers it being twelve thirteen years old, and he talks a lot about how it shaped his life. You know, he was inspired by that. And what's crazy is that as humans, we've not been anywhere near the Moon in all our space inpormation for the last fifty something years. No human, no human has been near the Moon since nineteen seventy two, right, and we're going again next year with Artemis. So that's the first time since the seventies that anyone has been in lunar orbit. And that will be a crew that I've had the privilege to meet and work with. And you know, that'd be the first woman ever to be in lunar orbit and be near the Moon, first person of color, like it's going to be, it's going to be amazing. So we talked to that crew as well, the Artemis crew, and the show features them a little bit. So it's both sort of nostalgic and it's also looking forward. But it's just a really really fun show and a really lovely thing to do.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about Boston here. Okay, So you're coming to a very nice location, the Saunder's Castle. Well used to call us of the castle at Park Square, but that one has the name the Saunder's Castle. I believe that's the location. Have you visited it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure, the location yet I assume you have.
Speaker 5: The team is on site right now building it. So yeah, I've see I've seen photos of videos that I don't come to Boston until I fly on Monday, so I'm still here in London up late to set to you and I come next week to see it.
Speaker 2: When does the show open? And I assume will it run here for some period of time? It sounds to me like it's a it's a really great experience, and I hope that it's here.
Speaker 5: It's just not one and done, right, It's absolutely not one and done. We So we open next Friday, and I think we're on sale for the next couple of months. You can get tickets at fever up dot com or just search Room Walkers Boston. You'll find it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're there.
Speaker 5: I'll pick it songs out for the next couple of months at least, and we hope for longer because it's it's one of those shows that I think we in London at least people come again and again because they come often sort of inter generationally. You get grandparents bringing grandkids to get the parents at the same time. It's really fun. You get school groups, you get everything in between. Yeah, because it's like I said, it's about it's just under an hour long, but it's it's very immersive, so you learn a lot, but in a way that's not It doesn't feel like you're learning, you know. It feels like the best teacher you ever had is just guiding you through something.
Speaker 2: And that's just to ask you the question that probably I shouldn't be asking, that is, will Tom Hanks at any point make an appearance here in Boston.
Speaker 5: We're not sure, to be honest, that's okay.
Speaker 2: You never know who might slide into the seat next to you. Is is the seating in the theater atmosphere describe it if you would, And this a show sort of around you. We have a couple of those theaters in Boston wanted the Museum of Science where they're sort of like tiered seating and it's a very immersive experience. Is that someone with what we'll experience here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess it's similar to the projection is all the way around you. It's on all forward and on the floor, so you're you're really in it. You can move around the space if you want to. You're not sort of fixed into like a to start seating. There is seating there, but you can also lie on the floor if you want to. Always a couple bits of rakee seating so you can see the show from slightly different perspectives. And then there's really an amazing score as well, amazing music by a composer called and the Kit in which we recorded at Abby Road here in London, So you've got this sort of huge orchestral score washing over you, the voice of Tom and the voice of the Astronauts, and then video from those amazing the footage the Astronauts took. So every image you see in the show is from the Apollo archive, is from the photos that the astronauts took and the movies that they took on the Moon, and some of that stuff works incredibly well as brilliant photography that the astronauts took that when it wraps all around you, it really shows you what they were experiencing on the Moon all those years ago, and it's really compelling.
Speaker 2: Is there any shot of whichever the astronauts were who hit the off ball in the moon?
Speaker 5: I'm wondering if, yeah, there is, there is a little bit footage of that. Actually, it's one of the sequens is Tom loves talking about. Is the thing is Thomas met I think all of the moon were because at some point in his life was he can look out from stories that he heard firsthand from them. But they talk a lot about things they love doing on the Moon. So some of them loves to throw things. They throw the packing foil that came with all their equipment that they were going to just leave there. They could throw it and it would it would go, you know, six hundred yards or something.
Speaker 2: So if you hear the golf of the longest drive be the longest driver of your life, if you think about it, really, if you really cranked it out, there. Well, that's great. So it starts next Friday, which was going to be I think that would be the I get my calend twenty seventh. It would be the twenty seventh, right, and running through most of August. Moonwalkers Boston will get you there, get your tickets in advance. Everybody knows where the Saunders Castle is, and who knows you might be there the day that Tom Hanks decides to drop by and see how it plays in Boston. I really.
Speaker 3: As well.
Speaker 5: That's the real funny.
Speaker 2: How about that joy? You never know? Why not.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of people from those you know, Harvard and Mit and all these other places in Boston who are.
Speaker 3: Around the place.
Speaker 5: So let's let's hope we get some of them in as well.
Speaker 2: All right. Richard Slaney, the CEO of light Room, the company behind this immersive experience, thank you so much. Honored to talk with you, and I hope you enjoy. Have you been to Boston before? Yeah? I have.
Speaker 5: It's a great city. Can't wait to be back there.
Speaker 2: Good. Well, we'll see you see you sometime in the not too distant future for your time, Thanks Richard. Richard Slaney talking about the Moonwalkers a Journey with Tom Hanks, an immersive cinematic experience, one of a kind perspective on human kinds, past and future voyages to the Moon. And it's narrated by none other than Tom Hanks. Boy, this should be fun. When we get back, we're going to talk about something it might not be a lot of fun, and that is a heat wave in Boston next week. Three days and we could hit one hundred degrees. I think it's three days of ninety That makes it a heat wave, So I think we're pretty confident of that. Ken Mahon, Boston Globe Meteorologists, will join us. Also. We'll talk a little bit about the wind today. I was indoors most of the day and didn't experience it, but Ken will give us up to date on all of that and what to expect weatherwise for the weekend. Back on Nightside right after these messages.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Well sometime, I think it's within the next hour or two. I think it's ten thirty nine. But if anyone's going to know when summer will officially arrive here in Boston or in New England, it's our guest Ken Mahan, Ken, is it about ten thirty nine tonight that summer actually creeps into our neck of the woods?
Speaker 6: Hey, that's right, Dan, thanks for having me back. You are absolutely right. Summer Solstice. The official time for the Greater Boston area is ten two pm. Ranges between. Yeah, you were close, you know, you're maybe a little more like Worcestern Mass it will be ten thirty nine. But yeah, summer Solstice, that's right. The longest day of the year tonight anyway, and then we start losing a couple seconds in the nights at first, over the next couple of weeks. But yeah, summer Solstice.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's for us for the fun of it. Let's talk about the weekend. What are we looking at. Tomorrow is going to be a dry Saturday, which is as rare as a dry martini here in New England.
Speaker 6: You are absolutely right. Can you believe it was fourteen Saturdays in a row where Boston saw some form of measurable precipitation dating back to early March. This is the best odds that we have over the last three months where we could actually have a completely dry at least Saturday and Sunday. The weather setup essentially has a pocket of dry air just hanging out uh in the Northern Atlantic, and that should actually prevent Boston, at least the eastern coast of New England from seeing any precipitation this weekend, which I'll tell you what everybody will really enjoy.
Speaker 2: Uh. Is that unprecedented. I know that they keep weather records for everything, but I don't assume that they keep weather records for Saturdays or Thursdays or Tuesdays, you know, always. I think with the last Saturday, the Saturday, well it would have been in March of Saint Patrick's Day weekend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, it's funny, and you hit the nail on the head, Dan, if this, if this happened on a Thursday, and nobody would care.
Speaker 4: Right, I actually had to.
Speaker 6: I had to dig out the data and it was, yeah, there was a trace of rain the weekend of what was in March eighth and ninth. And then yeah, it was Saint Patrick's Day weekend where ended up being about a start of an inch or so in the greater Boston area. And then yeah, we've seen it, you know, either whether it's a Saturday or Sunday or both days leading up through last weekend. But I think we're going to be in good shape this weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, let's we get through the weekend pretty well. And the temperature Saturday and Sunday, what are we looking at tomorrow? And and again I realized, always tough a few weather guys, because temperature in southern New Hampshire could be very different from the temperature in Worcester or down on the Cape. What are we talking about?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: And then you're talking you know, you're talking peak sunlight right with the summer solstice, so you have a sea breeze up and down the coast, so Cape Cod, the islands in North and South Shore, going up into Portland, you know, they're dealing with the seabreez that keeps it five to seven degrees cooler on average.
Speaker 5: So what I.
Speaker 6: See is I see favorable conditions mid eighties tomorrow, which would be beautiful, very low spot chants for a shower, but well west of Boston. And then Sunday, Monday Tuesday, we're going to start seeing the temperature click up towards that heat wave category. Upper eighties Sunday, maybe a hint at ninety degrees on Sunday, afternoon, and then Monday and Tuesday, you're climbing towards triple digits. I have a circle between ninety eight and get this one oh one. Perhaps on Tuesday we get a pretty favorable high pressure system that's just going to open the flugates in terms of heat and humidity.
Speaker 2: So to have a heat wave, correct me if I'm wrong, you need three days consecutive. Each day has to register ninety degrees? Is that the if we're talking a couple of days as one hundred?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, that's that's absolutely right. So for each New England state, all six states, at ninety degrees is the threshold. And then three consecutive days of having ninety plus temperatures, we're going to be dancing right along that Starting Sunday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday is almost a sure lock that we're going to be well above that threshold. And then as the heat builds over from Sunday through Tuesday, so it with humidity, you're going to be talking tropical life. Do points into the low seventies on both Monday and Tuesdays. I wouldn't be surprising if we saw a chance for some storms developed at least two day evening in response.
Speaker 5: To that, So.
Speaker 2: During the year here in New England, and I don't know if you are hip to these, I'm sure you're hip to it normal summer. How many ninety three days do we have it in normal summer? Would you say?
Speaker 3: Funny?
Speaker 6: It's like you were in my meeting room earlier this week. We just sort of circled around like a number of eighty degree days, ninety three days that we've seen in a typical summer. So like around here, the greater Boston area, spreading through most of some New England, anytime during a typical summer you see between eight to ten ninety degree days. That's an increase over the last couple of decades, but it, yeah, between about eight to ten or so ninety degree days we've a little bit normally.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming that we're getting if we knock off safe three nineties in the first few days of June, the twenty third, twenty fourth, and twenty fifth of June, we're going to be way ahead of the curve in terms of what.
Speaker 6: We Yeah, yeah, it's funny. You sort of led right into what I was going to say, yes, or very much ahead of the curve and we're just seeing summer as a season sort of bloat earlier and later two in the year, so giving us more chances than many degree weather well into September.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, my experience, and I'm not a weather guy, although I enjoy weather and I watch it closely, all of you folks on TV, and I checked the Globe every Sunday on the average daily highs and lows. I'm fascinated by that. But the fact of the matter is that it seems to me like New England springs have kind of disappeared. We kind of have a late spring, if we get any spring at all, and then we're right in summer, and then I think the best months of the year are September and October and even into November.
Speaker 6: I'm right there with you. Yes, spring has certainly shortened over the years, and summer has sort of expanded the most comfortable I'm right there with you, September, October, even a few weeks early November, most sort of ideal temperatures as far as I'm concerned. Some people love the heat and the humidity, some people love the rainy showers of spring. But yeah, summer kind of fires up earlier and spring kind of has been a dog over the last five to ten years.
Speaker 2: If the truth be known, I am a New Englander. I love when the weather changes, and I love the summer. By the Labor Day middle of September, I'm more than ready for some cooler nights. And then you get through the football season, college football season. I'm ready for the holidays, and then give you a little bit of snow in January February, and let's do it all over again. So I love the changes, really do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm with you. I'm with you as well. I grew up in Worcester, Mass and I was in a bunch of different markets across you know, the country and experience all four seasons, but nothing is nearly remotely close to what New England is. And I'm with you with the turning of the leaves during autumn, the snow we're near Christmas and spilling into the new year. And then of course you start seeing the flowers bloom and whatnot in spring, and then yeah, we have summers, and we have pete leaves, and there might be might be seeing our first one in the next couple of days.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine being a weather guy or weather gal or whatever and say I don't know Phoenix, Arizota. Well, let's going to you one hundred and four today and one hundred and four tomorrow and one hundred and four every day through next week. Back to you, Bob.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one of my former colleagues is now an NBC. Let me see your Fox reporter for San Diego, and they in our group chat, they're like, well case sixty seven degree funny, and that's that's about it.
Speaker 2: You got it. Let's go to sports. Hey, Ken, I really enjoy talking with you. I hope you realize that. And thanks so much for being available, particularly on a Friday night and summer at ten forty two. So I'm going to mark ten forty two on my notes tonight and we'll try to celebrate it. Okay, thanks so much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I like that a lot.
Speaker 6: Dan is always really appreciated you.
Speaker 2: Take care, talk soon, have a great weekend. Stay cool. All right, we get back. We're going to talk about not the weather. We're going to talk about rats, and rats are more of a problem than I think we realized. Don't want to come to and bring you a little down on this first weekend. First, well, not full, but almost full weekend of summer. Rats and some diseases that rats are carrying, and we got to be concerned about it. We'll be back on Night's side right after the nine o'clock news