Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and Company hour number three, five o'clock on a Friday, getting you set for the weekend. If your weekend has already started, congratulations to you. Our weekend will start here in about an hour and I'm looking forward to it. Football's here. I talked about it earlier in the show we embraced Week zero. We started the week by saying, Hey, anybody claiming that football season hasn't started yet because it's only week zero, they're wrong, because we've got games this weekend, which we do, and we're now just a day away from those games. But I just haven't really it hadn't felt like it's really here. I thought maybe believing in the power of positivity would help to where, you know, just talk week zero, gas up week zero in these games enough and then the excitement will be there, and it just isn't there now. Maybe just maybe the uh, you know, the vibes will will really take off tomorrow when there is real football to watch and you'll know that it's not like a preseason game or anything like that. And for Louisville's sake, if you're a Louisville fan, I should say, you know, you've got three teams that play tomorrow that you're gonna play. This year, you only play twelve teams, so you know, maybe you know, get a look at both Georgia Tech and Florida State who Louisville will play. Actually, level won't play Florida State. They play Gorgia Tech, they play SMU, and they played Nevada tomorrow late at night. So I guess there's only two teams they play, not three. I just keep thinking Florida State's on the schedule because they have been every year. In fact, Louisville has played Florida State every year they've been in the ACC. Because last year, in the first year with no divisions, obviously they didn't play them in the regular season, but they played them in the ACC championship. So I'm still embracing it that football is in fact here. But I did feel as we got closer to actual games that I would have a little more, little more juice to it, and it just it hadn't been there. So but John he's told me that he's feeling good about Week zero he's excited, so you know, maybe by the end of the show, my excitement level will be right there where his is. I just remember, I mean I mentioned it earlier in the show. Whenever Notre Dame.
Speaker 3: And Navy kicked off, I didn't know how I was gonna feel about watching that game, and it ended up not really being that close of a game, obviously, but.
Speaker 2: I remember instill your heart.
Speaker 3: I remember sitting on the couch and just realizing it was actually a college football Saturday, and really enjoying myself. Especially for some reason something about the game being in Ireland. It does add to it, even though we're not anywhere close to that country. I think it's just a unique little thing to have. It's kind of like it reminds me of the carrier games for college basketball. I don't know if they do those anymore. Will they do them out?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they That was cool. They stopped doing that because they oftentimes would end up not being able to play or having to delay because of the like the moisture on the floor. Yeah, like they kept you talk about the game where they pla them on like a jet. Yes, yes, yeah, that was a really cool idea. And man, the visual of that looked cool, but I think they kind of realized that it logistically was a nightmare. And I don't know what led to it. I'm sure it's something to do with the weather and where they were doing it, But they'd had to stop the game for ten minutes and you know, drive the floor because it just kept me because it was a condensation, a little little moisture that would obviously, you know, cause some injuries. But yeah, I mean it's tomorrow's game. Is an event game, right, like you know, it's an ESPN thing. They've got their whole crew there doing shows and it's not a big time matchup. Although Florida State this year, I don't find them to be that intriguing. But last year, their whole season itself and them being left out of the playoff like that was that When you recap a college football season from start to finish and you look back on all the big storylines, certainly all the controversy that's up there, is it not like that's an unprecedented thing, a Power five team going undefeated, winning their league and being left.
Speaker 3: Out, especially when you think of the playoff this year having twelve teams, you know they would have been in that playoff, even if they were dropped down a few seeds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just talking about it. You're helping John. You're getting me more excited. You get me more excited because actually I know that there's really no win for the ACC tomorrow as far as perception of the league, because if Georgia Tech ends up pulling off the upset, everybody will just claim, well, that means the ACC sucks. Florida State thinks they're elite. They just lost to Georgia Tech. Like that'll be the reaction from a lot of people. If Florida State kills them. There really isn't much of a reaction other than you know, that's what you're supposed to do. You're Florida State and Georgia Tech stinks. So I guess that's the better scenario if you're somebody that does care about the perception of the league. I do care about the perception of the league. However, like I if Florida State loses, I mean I think that would make the league look a little bit look a little bit more open at the top to potentially win it. And if you're Louisville, which I'm a Louisville fan, that's what I want to see. Doesn't mean Louisville would be the one that would Actually, you know, Florida State ends up taking a big step back this year because Dju, their quarterback who stunk at Clemson and was a little bit better at Oregon State, is now at Florida State. Like maybe they realize, yeah, this guy like that again, that's actually what I'm more interested to see tomorrow than anything. And they're gonna run the hell out of the ball as they should Florida State, and they'll probably run the hell out of the ball a lot this year and not really have him be a guy that really just tries to beat teams with his arm. But he was not good at Clemson and at Oregon State. Like I mean, I can look at you know, I can look at his numbers and they tell me he was I but like why is Florida's I mean again, I don't, I don't. He was never good at Clemson. In fact, you can kind of point to him is when like things like when when they started taking a big step back as a program at Clemson and last year when he was at at Oregon State, I mean, he completed fifty seven percent of his passes, which is the third. I mean, he's played four years of football and at Clemson he was we all saw it. He wasn't very good. And then at Oregon State, you know his numbers. He threw for more yards lift year than he did anytime at Clemson, but his percentage was lower than it was in his last two years at Clemson. You know, he had twenty one touchdowns last year. That was low. I mean again, he was he was kind of the same guy at Oregon State as he was at Clemson. And now he's at Florida State. And yes, they've got a lot of pieces and a lot of talent around him, but so did Clemson. So it's not that I'm rooting for the kid to fail, but like, I don't know why he was such a highly It's what it does is it reminds you that, man, if you've got the five star billing coming out of high school as a quarterback and you look the part, you're physically built the way he is. This dude is six five, two fifty. You can milk that and live off that alone for a long long time. I'm making sense, John, like a guy can go and prove he's not that good in college or certainly just overrated based on what was expected. But yet they'll still there's guys who get drafted based off that. Still, like it's wild to me.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think of an example of someone who may have gotten drafted, but somebody was.
Speaker 2: Sam Darnold was not that good at usc Do you remember the name Gunner Keel?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, he picked somebody. He was from Columbus, right, very highly touted Indiana. I think he was committed to the Hooters at one point before he committed and went to LSU, I think or something like that.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you about Gunner Keel that was flamed out. That was the kind of guy who when he committed to Indiana that was that was not national news across the planet, but like that was a big deal because he was a phenom recruit at that time and was from Columbus not far all from Bloomington, and uh yeah, was there for one year, went to Cincinnati and at Cincinnati, you know he was only there. Well, I guess he was their starter for two seasons, but you know, he wasn't very good, but yeah, he was. I mean, and again, you were probably really young whenever he was coming out of high school. Yeah that was in two thousand, but I remember, like again I wouldn't have remembered his name, but I remember there being a kid from Columbus that committed Indiana and it was at the time the highest I mean, he was the I think he was the number one quarterback in America when he committed in twenty elevens long time ago. So you know, maybe dju is the perfect fit because they're only going to ask him to do what he does well, which is, you know, not make tough throws and you know, kind of be a game manager and do just enough and maybe that works, right, but I just you know, he's not And again I keep saying he's stunk. He wasn't like a guy that you felt like he shouldn't be on the field. But like when you're at Clemson and again now he's at Florida State, a better program as we speak today, you can't just be out there not being like there's a standard. There's an expectation at Clemson and at Florida State that is not at Oregon State to where if you are if the team's not struggling and you're not if the team is struggling and you're not making plays Like that's not something that they really live with. They're gonna move on to somebody else. So again, I'm actually really anxious to see what he looks like tomorrow. My guess is, again they run the hell out of the ball and he doesn't have to do a whole lot, which is probably gonna be their mo all year. But you know, Florida State, whenever I hear people mention them as a team that could get to the playoff this year and is of course the favor to win the ACC this year, I hear them bring his name up, and I'm like, if they do get there and they are really good again, it won't be because of him. Not to say he won't deserve any credit if he's a starting quarterback, he's a part of it, but like, they've got elite talent all over the field outside of quarterback that makes them great. And there was actually a really good ride up on twenty four seven Sports. I didn't get a chance to read it in its entirety, but it was a breakdown of how the recruiting analysts out there, for the most part, do a pretty good job right kids that come out of high school more often than not that they tout as the guys who are going to be NFL draft picks. More often than not, they're right. Now, they get some wrong, There's no doubt about that. There's no perfect science to it. However, the twenty four to seven Sports we find the article here because I do know. I found it to be interesting and I think you guys would as well, as far as guys like Okay, it's just over the last ten years, the recruiting industry has become much better at a value scouting and predicting a prospects future, but nailing five star quarterbacks remains a coin flip proposition, Malakai Nelson being the latest example. So, Malaki Nelson was a five star quarterback, and there's not many of those, right, there's high four stars. There's actually not that many four star quarterbacks, to be honest with you, but here a five star quarterback. You're you are in an elite tier. And this kid was one of those. He went to USC was expected to be the guy that steps in and takes over for Caleb Williams and couldn't win the job, transfers to Boise State and didn't win the job there. So again we're talking about a guy who coming out of high school was a five star quarterback, the number eleven player in the country at USC, didn't win the job there, transfers to Boise State, didn't win the job there. Like that there are guys who I mean, I'm not hearing anything about what's going on at Boise State practice, So you know, I don't know this for certain, but I feel like if you're at Boise State, if you are Boise State, I should say, and you have this guy that has all this height because of you know, his high school recruiting and you know, maybe he didn't win in at USC just because of you know, somebody else that really emerged. But for them to not at least give him a shot to be the starter and see what happens tells me he must really suck. I mean, that's harsh, But like, what's Boise State got to lose? Letting this guy go out there and at least, you know, play for a half and see what he can do, but not even starting him in to start the year, and he clearly proves that the backup Maddox Madson won the job. But still like that's that's a pretty crazy outcome for a kid that two three years ago, you know, people thought he was going to be an NFL quarterback, and maybe he still will be. But man, I mean, that's that's that's sad, honestly. So there are yes says here that, well, it's too long of a of a of an article to just kind of skim through it and make it make any sense to you guys on the radio, But there are a handful of examples of guys out there that just you know, were as good as advertised. But it really is a coin flip, like because again, they'll give out let's say they give out eight five star rankings to QBS annually on an average basis, four or five of them might end up being dudes that still start and play, but they're not great and they don't look anything like an NFL quarterback. And then there's three or four, maybe depending on the year, where you're like, okay, yeah, I can see it. This guy he's led Georgia or Alabama or you know, Clemson like Trevor Lawrence, like those schools to national championship contenders, So therefore he's proven he's really good. Now, well, he do it in the NFL, we'll see. But then there's some guys that, man, you just ask yourself, how the hell they get that so wrong? And I mean, I would never claim it's easy to do that. Meaning watch high school kids and know for sure in football specifically that it's going like they're going to be. I think, honestly, I think football will be in a harder sport to evaluate as far as potential in anything. I mean basketball, I'm sure you know, first of all, in basketball there's far less players. But even taking away the fact that there's so many more football players, I just feel like it, you know, you just don't know what's going to translate. Anyways, We'll move on, all right. We're gonna talk to Ken Spencer coming up here in about ten minutes. Looking forward to to doing that. But if you are just now joining us, we did talk more about the Amari Huggins Bruce situation. It is playing out kind of like it sounded the last few days, which is that he did leave South Carolina, dropped out of school, has caught a flight back to Louisville, did that yesterday, is enrolled in school. He he is in the online active directory for the U offl student database or whatever they call it, and now it's just a matter of figuring out how he could be eligible. So UL has not and will not comment on it because again they're not allowed to. So he's done everything needed to do on his end, and he did it in a very quick amount of time. Drop out of school, quit the team at South Carolina, come back to Louisville, en rolling school. He's here and now just you wait to see what the NCAA tells you can do. And I shouldn't speak about this is if that's such a matter of fact thing, because I don't know. But if you are U of L like I don't know, I'm just I'm thinking out loud here. Clearly, he's good enough player to play here, and you know, if you could make it work, clearly, I think they would want him. And who knows, maybe they're the ones that, you know, without breaking rules, without tampering behind the scenes, they put a bug in the ear of somebody who knows him to tell him, hey, why don't you come back home. I don't believe that they would do that because I think they would just assume that it's just too late in the process for that to happen, which it is, and that's why I think it's gonna be tough to see him eligible this year. But like, what if he gets here, he moved back. Nobody's been able to talk to him from U of L. But then somebody that's like a spokesman for the school that's not with the athletic department, maybe somebody from compliance, was like, yeah, we're glad you loved it here, man, but like we're not doing this, Like again, I'm sure that's not the case. I have a hard time thinking he would be here and have left South Carolina in a matter of forty eight hours to come back to Louisville if he didn't think that they wanted him here. But it all comes down to how is he going to be eligible? And that's what I don't know. I've yet to hear anybody give me any legitimate reason as to why he would be granted eligibility. Because if you're U of L, here's what you're doing. You know he's here, and you're probably aware that you're going to have a tough time explaining to them that there was no contact made with this young man, because any contact with him would in fact be tampering. I mean, you could get away with it and say I don't know, no, you know, maybe it was all but maybe it was the legal way of doing it, which is, hey, tell a high school coach when you're talking to when you're talking to him about a current player on the high school team that also, you know, coach Tamari Huggins Bruce, that you be and I don't know. There's ways to do. We all know that, right, So if you're u of L, you already know they're going to ask like, how did this come about without tampering? But also because he did not go through the process of being cleared to be contacted by a school, because you have to do that by going through the portal, the portal is closed. Therefore, I would imagine UFEL is going to say, Hey, here's the situation. This kid's back here, he's walked on to this too, or he's on campus paying his own way, he's a student. Now what can we do here? He didn't enter the portal because it's closed. Can we speak to him? Can he join the team? Can he be with us but have to sit out a year? Like I'm sure that's what UFL would be doing. From a compliance standpoint, and you never know what the NCAA is gonna do when it comes to anything. They're extremely unpredictable. However, I just have a hard time seeing them giving you the thumbs up and saying, Okay, you're good to go. He can play. But maybe I'm wrong again, I guess crazier things have happened. So it's been a wild week. It's been really the Amori Huggins Bruce week, to be honest with you, and you know, he would be a nice addition considering you lost a guy to receiver an injury, and during our conversation with doctor Ben's earlier, I mean, I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't play this year. I'm not saying that for certain. You never know with an injury, but it's gonna take a while for Colin Lacy to recover, so you know he's needed. If they could get him, I would say, hell yeah. But he's also not somebody that is going to change the way people look at Louisville if he's in the mix. And I think just because of this wild story being such a talking point this week as we anxiously wait for Louisville football, to start. I think people have kind of maybe overvalued a little bit of what he brings to the table, if in fact he's even able to play this year. All right, don't go anywhere. Kent Spencer from WHS eleven is going to join us, coming up here on the other side, it's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, it's coffee and company. Field By. Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety a Friday afternoon, getting you set for the weekend, and we now bring him in. He is mister Kent Spencer, who joins us each and every week to talk about a variety of things. Ken, how are we doing on this Friday afternoon?
Speaker 4: My friend man high school football is back. I don't know why every time this happens, I've been doing it a long time, but each of that first Friday night, I get a little juiced, I get a little act.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it. You're a ballplayer yourself, so I'm sure you know there's some nostalgia that'll never go away when it comes to playing under the lights on a Friday night in your community where you're from. I mean It sounds corny to some, but man, I get it. Trust me, I totally get it. I'm actually going to a high school game tonight as well, and I'm looking forward to it. Before we get into some of the action, though, I asked your buddy Kendrick Haskins this the other day, I'm gonna ask you the same thing. How often? And I'm sure they're not directly calling your extension at the office or emailing you. But you all put so much work into covering high school football, and I know the Friday night production again, there's so many people that put again a lot of work into making it happen. And I still think it's awesome that kids get to go home on a Friday after they've played a football game and they know they scored a touchdown and they have a feeling that maybe somebody was there with a camera and they might get to see themselves on TV. Again, it's corny to some, but I think it's also really special. It's something that you'll remember forever if you get that moment. But I bet no matter what you guys do, there's always people complaining about you didn't give our school enough, Why didn't you Why didn't you include us?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: And I just you know, that's got to be annoying.
Speaker 4: You know it probably honestly, like it probably doesn't happen as often as you may think. That makes me feel good then yeah, and and and you know, a lot of times, to be quite honest with you, like if if if teams are having, you know, good seasons, those were those would be the people that that may complain like, hey, we're having a good season and you're not. Your guys are never nowhere near us. Well generally speaking, if if you're having a good season, we're gonna be there. And so you know, we're trying to get the best games, we're trying to get the best teams on and all and all that. Obviously you want to spread the love. But yeah, I think I think we do a pretty good job of it. I think everybody does to be, to be quite honest with you, And so it doesn't happen as often as as you may think. Happens every now and again generally honestly doesn't really happen.
Speaker 2: A bunch of football what other than just you know, following a team tame's success if they're having a special season, meeting it's not the type of season they typically have. Like, what are what are some really good I guess what would be a really compelling story to you to feature a team that maybe is middle of the pack, Like they're not a team that's going to compete for the state, They're not really a threat. But like I feel like there are there are, There are so many good stories within high school sports that you guys get a chance to share. How do you come up? How do you find out about find out about some of these stories? Obviously there's not sports information departments at high schools, but is there? Do athletic directors communicate with you guys as best they can to try to, you know, keep you guys, you know, in the loop as far as what could be a compelling and interesting story to your viewers?
Speaker 4: You know what? Honestly, Nick, you know we have like tonight, we're going to have five people out with cameras and including myself. And so when you step foot on these high school campuses and you go to these games, you know you're gonna you're gonna talk to people. You're going to keep your eyes and ears open. Generally speaking, that's where we find most of our stories. And then that makes sense. You'll go out and visit a practice this seah. I mean, you know, it's a lot of it can be word of mouth and hey, you're here, Hey how about this? Have you heard about this? So for the most part, I think that's where we get our high school stories. You know, we don't get a ton of calls every now and then. I think you will get an email of somebody suggesting something or hey, I don't know if you do this, but I just want to draw this to your attention. But most of the ideas that i'll I'll come up with, or because I've got boots on the ground and you know, I'm at a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that makes total sense. And if you're somebody that's really into the high school football scene because you've coached for a while, or if you have a kid that's on the team, like they know who you guys are and they know if you're there covering the game, they're hopeful to see uh, some some action later on in your in your in your broadcast. But also they may hey, hey, I got you got you got to hear about this story. You gotta hear about that story. But you know, as somebody who you know, I peaked in high school as an athlete, you know, the only uh you know, I didn't have much of a college career at all, and high school sports was so important to me, so uh. I know, back in the day, it was a big deal to pop open the newspaper and see, you know, the box score that had your last name. But now that's not even a thing anymore. So to see all the work that is done by you and your team to to still cover high school sports is awesome. But again, I don't think people realize how much work actually goes into it. It's it's a lot. So again, shout out to you guys. As far as tonight's matchups as it gets started, what are some of the bigger games that folks are buzzing around, buzzing about around town.
Speaker 4: Well, actually, I think we got we got a couple of really good ones. I'm man, you at at Central is our a game of the week, and this is the ways they play in that opening week every single week. You know, the last time Central beat Manual was twenty eighteen, so it's it's been a minute for them. But they love to play up early, you know, in the season the competition and it's a it's kind of a good test to see. Manuel's got a new coach this year, Keith that Clough has come over from Seneca and so I'm kind of interested to see new coach for the Crimsons. Hey, how are they going to be? I think that's a that's a really good matchup tonight. Trinity's on the road at Bryan's station. You know, two six A powers right there. Trinity's the defending six A state champs. Kind of a low, low key but awesome matchup. And it was last year. I mean, it could be a real barn burner is Atherton and KCD. Atherton, led by Anthony White.
Speaker 2: Had shout out to coach White.
Speaker 4: Last year they made a run. They were undefeated for a long time. You know, like they just did some things that Atherton has it done ever ever or in a really long time.
Speaker 2: Anthony White has has such a cool story because he he's the way I mean, he's kind of given them a brand when it comes to sort of you know, not only the way they play, but you know his personality and I think he's well aware what Atherton as a football program was forever before he got around and now like they've got you know, they they've kind of got the cool factor. They've got some pretty good players, they've got kids that are that are getting recruited. I'm sure he had options to go elsewhere after putting together a special season last year. So I love to see that they've they've got some momentum. And whenever I went to Northwold High School and our football team was was pretty good when I finished playing when I finished school my last two years, but we were really bad my first two and Atherton at that time was in our district, cant and it was the only game we knew we were gonna win. Like I think we went one in eight or one in nine my freshman year maybe, and then the next year we were really bad, but we we knew we could get a win against Atherton. Not not anymore, didn't they aren't they the Ravens Not? And they changed their their mascot.
Speaker 4: Yeah they're sitting you know, they're the Ravens.
Speaker 2: Now good for that man. Yeah, I pull for schools like that, Schools that you know, don't always get a chance, often don't often have you know, trophies to hang up after every season. But when they they've got some momentum they build and uh it sounds like they're gonna be really good again this year.
Speaker 4: So no, that yeah, that's gonna be fun. And KCD always makes a run of it, you know, for them for themselves. Matthew Jones does a really good job there. And then you know it's kind of it's such a cool thing. It's Collins at Shelby.
Speaker 2: County and rivalry. Baby, yeah, I love those.
Speaker 4: Kind of like you know, Inner County rivalry games. I mean, you know, the place is gonna be you know packed, they're gonna you know, like there's gonna be a line to get in the gate for that one tonight. Always is it. It always seems to light up the scoreboard. So I'm I'm always like those are kind of some of those games that kind of really stand out to me about man, these these can be really good. And then over in southern End Indiana you got Silver Creek and Charles.
Speaker 2: Town another rivaly. That's good stuff right there. Ken Spencer is our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven nine. You guys can follow Kent on Twitter at WHS eleven. Kent. All right, so I wanted to get your thoughts on on the the the list of the top five quarterback rankings for Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. I feel like this would have gotten more attention. But these two guys, of course, two the best quarterbacks of all time. Certainly they put out who they believe right now are the top five quarterbacks in the NFL? Have you seen this list? Because I want to. If not, I'll run through it real quick.
Speaker 4: I've not seen the list.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Peyton Manning here are his top five quarterbacks right now, Patrick Mahomes number one, Joe Burrow number two, Justin Herbert number three, Lamar Jackson number four, Josh Allen number five. And I got it wrong. Brady only did four. He went with Mahomes number one, Josh Allen number two, Lamar Jackson number three, Joe Burrow number four. Any surprises to you on the as far as how that came out? And you know, how would you rank the top four top five quarterbacks? As the NFL season is getting ready to start here before too long, so.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have. I wouldn't have Herbert.
Speaker 2: In there, thank you. Maybe they share an agent or something.
Speaker 4: He just doesn't do it for me and I'm sure he's great, right, Like, I'm sure he's just fine or whatever, but he's just kind of missing something for me. Honestly, if I was, if I was ranking the quarterbacks, I would put Mahomes one. I would put Lamar to Burrow three, give me Josh Allen at four, and then I know he went down with a with an achilles last year. But but I'd have to put Aaron Rodgers at five and maybe and maybe he's done, but I'll have to see it to believe it, so I'll put I'll put Aaron Rodgers at five. That would be my list of five. What do you think.
Speaker 2: I have the top? We have an idea I have unless I got it wrong. So Mahomes, Lamar, Burrow, Allen, those were your first four, right, yep? Those are mine. That's exactly how I have it as well. And then my fifth. You know, I didn't think of Rogers, but it's because I guess just out of sight, out of mind. He didn't play a year ago. I feel like after that you're probably looking at a big gap or against somebody that you just assume eventually Father time is gonna is gonna get him. I think the top four are are pretty clear, and all have have really proven that. I mean, I think, you know, Josh Allen has proven to be really really good. They haven't really broke through to actually make it to a super Bowl just yet, and neither has the Ravens and Lamar. But Lamar has two MVPs. Uh, and you know, to get to get to the Bowl, they got to get past the Jugger not that is the Kansas City Chiefs. So yeah, what do you think there's still so much love for Herbert. I'm not gonna say he's terrible and that he's like a he's a bum. His numbers are fine, but like, I just don't know what has led people to throw him in that elite tier.
Speaker 4: No, I don't either. I mean to be honest, Like if I was gonna take Rogers out and I was thinking about like putting somebody in, I wouldn't even have considered Herbert. And and everybody says he's a he's a system quarterback. Maybe he is, and I'm not I'm not necessarily saying that that brock Perty would be my number five because he wouldn't, but I would I still have him ahead of Herbert, a guy that I would like seriously consider throwing in and he was just a rookie last year. Is c J.
Speaker 3: Stroud?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, I'm scared. I'm a Colts fan. I'm scared of death of c. J. Stroud. Yes, yes, he's gonna run our division.
Speaker 4: And you're a Colts fan at no offense. You've got Anthony.
Speaker 2: Richardson who sucks out loud. He's so bad. Did you see him last night? Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I saw the you know, I saw the pick six to Jordan battle. He was laid over the battle man. That's gonna get you beat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They so apparently they they practiced together before the scrimmage like they're I guess leading up to that game. I guess that's pretty common now. And our buddy Chris mack he and I talked earlier this week. He had somebody that was there and he was like, and he's probably just just given me a hard time because he knows I'm a Colts fan. But he was like, no, I'm telling you. Apparently the Bengals beat the Colts like like you know, they were they were a JV team And Richardson looked terrible, and I'm like, all right, you're probably just giving me a hard time, and then sure enough they played last night, and I'm like, Okay, I think what you heard in practice is exactly what happened. The Bengals are gonna be good this year. And I'm not a Bengles fan, I always kind of lightly root for him because I know so many Bengles fans that like never thought that they would have a quarterback that gave them the cool factor that took them to the freaking super Bowl. Which it's still crazy to say that Joe Burrow did that, but I mean I was I was happy to see that the legends that are Brady and Manning ended up including them in their top five. But I was blown away by the NFLPA of votes the players themselves, who didn't even have Burrow was like one of the better quarterbacks in the league. Like, I was really surprised by that.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, you know, sometimes like you know, last year for him, it wasn't that great of a year because he didn't have a training camp. They started off slow and then a season, So I think in some of this it can be out of sight, out of mind.
Speaker 2: He rushed back, there's no way around it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I would I would imagine that that he is. He's going to be pretty good this year. I mean he's had a full training camp and apparently he's looked good at these you know, enter team practices that they've had with with other teams. So yeah, well we'll just kind of see how it all shakes. You know what, I'll say this. I know you say that you're not a Bengals fan, but I get the sense here in the last year or two, I think you're maybe trending a little bit.
Speaker 2: You may be, well, mean, yes, oh, there's it's there, it's there, and let me let me explain it to you, Ken, because I I think I am, but I also know that my my team is the Colts, and I think them just having no, no real hope for the future. I just find myself kind of latching onto the Bengals. But when the Bengals made a Super Bowl and I was so excited for him, I felt like a fraud. I felt like a poser because I wasn't going through the hard times like you guys, did you know what I mean? So like I want I want to, I do like him, but I feel like when I say it in front of those that have you know, have been who day and since birth. I just feel like I don't belong.
Speaker 4: Well, look there's always room.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you. That's that's all I needed to hear. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well, I mean if I want to watch a better team than mine, the team that I do find myself rooting for, it'll it'll. Uh, it'll be the Bengals this year.
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: One one quick, one thing I want to ask you, uh before we let you go, if if you were debating on these two guys as you're starting quarterback, who you going with Jalen Hurts or to a tug of aaloa O.
Speaker 4: That's that's that's tough. I'm gonna go with Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I think two is two is gonna be good this year. But I'd still go Hurts too.
Speaker 4: And and the reason why I would go with Hurts is because I believe to it has so many weapons und Hill, but man on the big stage when I watched him, I just didn't see it. And yeah, so Hurts could be a clutch player. Uh he the guy's tough as nails.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that dude. Yep, I'm with you, I'm with you. Totally agree. Can't you are the man. I appreciate you making time. Keep up the great work. Stay safe tonight and we'll talk to you soon. Brother.
Speaker 4: Hey, good to talk to you, buddy.
Speaker 2: All right, take care. That is Kent Spencer, always appreciating making time for us again. WHS eleven. They'll have all the coverage of the high school action tonight and we got to take our last break. We'll come back here and wrap it up, get out here for the weekend. There's no doubt this song is extremely corny, but it's also extremely awesome. When this come out, does it show you? I don't know if it shows you on the on your twenty ten Boys of Fall? Is that it's that old?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 2: My goodness, I feel like I.
Speaker 3: Love this album in general by Kenny Chesney. It's got Somewhere with You on it probably my favorite all time Kenny Chesney song.
Speaker 2: I've When I think of the Kenny Chesney music that I love, you know, it's it's way back in the day, like whenever I was there young. Yeah, I mean I mean early two thousand's, late nineties, I guess, and but he I don't know. I mean whenever he went from being this good old boy from from East Tennessee to being a guy who wanted to be the beach cowboy. That's always like you know, in Ken Kun tried to like, you know, take some of Jimmy Buffett's image and you know carry some of that as well. So you know, he he kind of became a little uncool in the world of country, but like he's a legend and he's great. Like I I've seen him, I've seen him live a couple of times. I'd go see him again.
Speaker 3: He's he's one of the few country artists that can regularly do stadium tours.
Speaker 2: I feel like, oh yeah, no, he and he's It's a really good point because that's you know, I think I could throw other artists out there that people would say as relatively as big or maybe a little bit less noteworthy or like, you know, notable. But one thing they can't do, because many can't do it, is to have the stadium tours for this long, right, like doing it as long as he has and people are still gonna go. So yeah, Kitty Chesney, Boys of Fall, I need to go see him again. It's been a long time since I saw him, but I saw him a few times when I was much younger, and then I I mean when he yeah, I mean, I guess the last time I saw him when he was in Louisville. He did a show many years ago at at Cardinal Stadium. At ellen N Stadium, wasn't that then it was Papa John's. But anyways, we're out of time. Everybody had a good weekend. We got football Week zero. Let's get fired up. We're back at it on Monday, right here on Sports Talk seven ninety