Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Don Isles. I worked on the software for the Luna module when it landed on the Moon. You're listening to the Doctor Sky Experience.
Speaker 2: And welcome back, ladies and gentlemen, to the Doctor Sky Experience, heard exclusively here on Talk Radio seventy seven WABC in New York. Our producer for the Doctor Sky Experience is doctor d Richard Dugan. The Doctor Sky Experience talks with great guests from the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, weather and celebrity guests in the mix. And how about common sense interviews about our American heritage and a great guest, Ladies and gentlemen, if you're big fan of the Apollo missions of the nineteen sixties and seventies, and who wasn't. As we just celebrated the fifty third anniversary of the Apollo eleven landing on the Moon, that part in history is what we're going to be talking about today with an author and a person who knows so much about how to land an Apollo lunar module and the surface of the Moon. His name is Don Isles. His book Sunburst and Luminary and Apollo Memoir, A little bit of a brief outline about our guest and the book. It opens the curtain on a complex story never before told from the inside. The creation the onboard software for the Apollo spacecraft. Every word is written by the author himself and his own fluent and unfiltered voice. Pressure to college, he's assigned to program the lunar descent, the complex maneuver. At the apex of the mission, his code is running and the lunar module's computer as Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin descend the lunar surface. On Apollo eleven, he works directly with astronauts to perfect techniques for landing more accurately. He explores Houston and at Cape Canaveral, he flies lunar landings in NASA's best limbs simulator. On Apollo fourteen, he experiences a taste of fame when he finds a timely answer for a problem that could spoil Alan Shepherd's mission. With that, we'd like to welcome Don Isles to the Doctor Sky Experience. Sir, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm very well, thank you very much. Happy to be with you today.
Speaker 2: Well, happy to be with you, sir. I'm so fascinated. As a young boy I was thirteen years young when they Apollo eleven landed on the Moon. And little did I know that one day I'd be talking to a man who he and his team were so much responsible for that safe landing on the surface of the Moon. Let's start off with your background and your bio. Let's talk a little bit about how you got started in this whole area, which I'm going to say respectfully as coders. I hope that's a good way to describe your profession at that time. How'd you get started?
Speaker 1: Don We didn't call it coders at the time. We called ourselves software engineers or something computer scientists. I got started because while searching for a job after graduation, I had the good luck to fan my way into a sort of a back road behind the railroad track behind MIT where the MIT Instrumentation Lab had its head quarters. And I walked in and asked for a job, and they gave it to me.
Speaker 2: Wow, kind of by luck. That's interesting. In the world of nineteen sixty six was kind of a much different world than it is today. But coming straight out of Boston University, this must have been an exciting time and great thanks, I guess goes to who John McCarthy and then George Cherry and so many others that help you get that job. And it's amazing because you were saying in your book that there was kind of not a good spate of success in the job interviews that you were getting, so you kind of just walked in here and lo and behold. The rest is what the history of what we're going to talk about in this interview.
Speaker 1: Well, the key is whether the place you walk into is hiring. And at that time they felt the need to staff up quickly because a new phase was the beginning. The software for the lunar module had to be written.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. And describing your salary there, I've loved did a little bit of research on you, as every host should do. You were paid approximately six hundred and forty dollars a month in those days. Was that considered to be in those days a little bit of money or was that considered to be fairly decent for the time.
Speaker 1: It was certainly not a princely strategy, but by the ground rule that you should be able to afford your housing your rental on one quarter of your gross salary, it worked well.
Speaker 2: And you also have a great interest see what I love about your book, and ladies and gentlemen, in this particular book, it's not a man who's just talking about code and all technical scientific things. There's some of that in the book, which is necessary to explain great achievements that he and his team did. But what I liked on about your book is you have a human side to this book. You describe personal feelings in the time. Describe to us for those that weren't around in the nineteen sixties when you were a young man, describe that whole experience then. I mean, things were a lot different than they are today. I'd like you to explain to the listeners of this audience, just give us the feel of the sixties.
Speaker 1: Well, it was it was the counterculture.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The music had changed with rock and roll, sexual morays had changed, in part due to the birth control pill. There were it was a renewed interest in what we now call recreational drugs, in particular pop or grass or marijuana, if you will. And it was also, of course the Vietnam War and consciousness that came out of that that activated people in a hold you way, and all those things were going on at once at the time when I was entering my twenties and living in the middle of the middle of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, a different time. Indeed, as we talk about and listen to so many great guests that we have on this particular arc ive known as the Doctor Sky Experience. And if you're just joining us, ladies and gentlemen, so much more to come here on the Doctor Sky Experience again. This particular podcast here heard exclusively on talk radio seventy seven WABC in New York, and our producer proudly is doctor d Richard Dugan John. Describe this because I'm looking at the book here, and you've written this book, as I said, not just from a humanistic side, but also from a technical side, which makes it really good. And you have the book, as you know well, over three hundred pages. Part one is about learning, Part two, as you know so well, is flying, and part three is exploring. I want to learn what was it like to be in that particular position there as you're working in this particular laboratory. Weren't they first starting to work on navigation systems like gyroscopes and accelerometers for what conventional military aircraft? Was that how they really got their start?
Speaker 1: Well, yes, to some extent that's true. The start of inertial guidance system goes back. Systems goes back to the early fifties, and it happened in Boston, i should say, in Cambridge at Doc Draper's laboratory, which was the MT Instrumentation Laboratory, and they first used gyros and accelerometers for instrumentation in this sense of strapping them to engines to learn things about now to improve the performance of engines. During the Second War War, they used some of this technology gyros in particular to create a gun sight for the Navy that made a tremendous difference the ability of surface ships to defend themselves from air attack. And then finally after the war they began to apply the principles much more generally. And a famous event from the instrument teby Instrumentation liaboratories history was in nineteen fifty three when the first self contained system was installed in an airplane. It turned out that MIT owned a bomber at that time, no bombs, I'm pretty sure, but this B twenty nine was equipped with the guidance system and flown from Hanscom Field near Boston to la and the purpose of the flight was first of all to test this system and also to take Doc and his team to a conference in La where navigation systems were going to be discussed. And to make cut the story short, they arrived in LA with an error of only ten miles, which was a triumph. And at the meeting, DoD Draper, after listening to many reasons from other speakers why it could not be done yet, came to the front of the room and announced that he had just done it. But from that system it was a straight line to the Apollo system. And as you say, some of the stops along the way were military. Many of the components of the Apollo inertial sensor, not the computer, but the inertial sensor are in common with the early sea launch ballistic missiles.
Speaker 2: Very interesting.
Speaker 1: But it all came to a head an Apollo where the human interface had to be added, where the computer was added, and it became a much more flexible and complete system.
Speaker 2: Well, folks can get a good view and actual pictures in this particular book with our special guest Doniles. The book entitled Sunburst, Loom and Apollo Memoir. And here I'm looking here at page one ninety one, as hopefully listeners out there will get a good copy of this book wherever copies of this book are sold, which is just about everywhere, including Amazon. You see Doc Draper and the navigation simulator on the roof of the building you know so well, AISL seven at seventy five Cambridge Parkway. It looks real happy in there, and I guess that must have been a safe spot, in a really proud position, and a proud moment, sitting on top of that building developing these very complex systems that were yet to go to another level to the moon.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yes, that's very true. The purpose of that simulator was to see whether the optics and the interface, the human interface was capable of, shall we say, aligning the inertial censor. By the time I came along, it was not in heavy use because it had served its purpose. But you could go up there and look at it, or even sit in it if you liked.
Speaker 2: John. I'm fascinated about this, and I've always had a gap in my knowledge of the Apollo program, and what I'm about to ask you is probably some things that many people out there, of course, would like to know. We always think of Apollo like Apollo seven, and I know you've had the honor, I'm sure of talking to Wally Sharrah. We've had him when he was with us here on the Earth a few times on our radio shows in the past. But talk to us a little bit about the early apollos, because what we're going to hear in this interview, ladies and gentlemen, is a man who helped to vevel so much of the software for the descent stage, the power at the scent stage, which is about a twelve minute experience. We'll hear this later in the interview. But what were some of those early apollos that maybe a lot of people don't know about. Where the lunar module was, what simply tested in Earth orbit? Am I correct?
Speaker 1: Well, Yes, the early flight mostly concerned the command module, and I was a lunar module specialist, so I didn't have a whole lot to do with them and mostly did not meet those astronauts. But the exception of that was the flight that called LIMB one at the time because it was the very first lunar module off the out of the clean room at Beth Stage where Grummand built it, and it was an unmanned test whose main purpose from NASA's point of view was to verify the propulsion systems, by which I mean the ascent stage that would get the spacecraft off the moon after they had landed, and the decent stage that would take them down to the Moon. And they accomplished those objectives. But because of the case, where shall we say, our software was misinformed? What we missed on that flight was a rehearsal of the computer control of the spacecraft.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is amazing off today, ladies and gentlemen just hearing this, but please continue, don I'm sorry to cut you short.
Speaker 1: Oh, no problem at all. It meant that for Alan Clemp and I only was really my mentor and my partner in creating the lunar landing programs. Our first rehearsal was thus rained, and our next time to see our software running was Apollo eleven itself. Maybe I should say another word about the limb one problem. Yes, please, We had software that was required to test whether thrust had appeared after the engine was activated the decent engine, and if trust was not measured within a certain length of time, to shut the engine down. Unfortunately, we had not been told that a decision had been made. I think just before launch to delay the arming of the engine. As a result of had not come up to thrust in our software since the engine off signal, and it was impossible to recycle the software at that point, so NASA took control and did the engine firings under control from Houston.
Speaker 2: It's amazing because when you look at the beautiful spidery craft that you know better than anybody that I've talked to about in Grumman of course aerospace manufacturing this out investige Long Island. I imagine this must have been an honor of a lifetime to be able to not only be part of writing the software, but can you describe the visual of that. I mean, we've seen these particular modules, the lunar module, the command module in museums, but what was it like to be a young man? I mean more from the humanistic side. You walk into places like Grumman and you see this craft there, I mean, it looks otherworldly. To describe your experience, it must have been onspiring.
Speaker 1: Well, ironically, I've had better looks at real lunar modules well after Apollo eleven that I ever did beforehand. Interesting, you know, the one that's in the air and space Museum at Washington is really if you're at Washington, you should certainly go and see that because it was a real lunar module and it was lovingly restored and it's quite quite a sight. My experience of lunar modules while it was working on the job was from the inside, from the cockpit out. There was a mock up sharing the space with the cockpits in Florida that was used for rehearsing the walking down the ladder, exiting the limit, going down the ladder on the lunar surface, but that was a fairly crude replica except for those features. But the cockpits that were available in the simulators were the opposite of that. They were realistic to the last detail and quite an experience to get to a play astronaut in or sometimes a company an astronaut in during lunar landing simulations.
Speaker 2: You're listening, ladies and gentlemen, to the Doctor Sky experience proudly here on talk radio seventy seven WABC in New York our producer extraordinair, Richard Dugan, Doctor D. We're today talking with Don Isles. Yes, there's so much to talk about in this interview today and in our special podcast the Doctor Sky experienced the book entitled Sunburst and Luminary, an Apollo Memoir. As we continue here in this rather exclusive interview with a gentleman that I think really has so much knowledge and we're so proud to have him and call him a friend of the show. As you know, sir, this is interesting. So the title of the book Sunburst and Luminary, if I have it right, Sunburst was the program for the Earth orbit testing a lot of the lunar module, while Luminary was the lunar landing portion of that. Elaborate a little bit more about that because I know for people that are not as technical, you go through some incredible detail in this book, which is important. But please describe the difference between the two and how they were developed.
Speaker 1: Well, we knew these programs best as a big book of paper. The Sunburst was the name of the program that flew the mission I was talking about just a few minutes ago, the Limb one mission and Earth Orbit. Luminary was the program that flew all the lunar landing missions, and also Apollow ten, which was the process rehearsal for the lunar landing. There was also by the way, a sun Dance in between there to Apollo nine, which was a mission in Earth for me. With both the command module and the lunar module, I suppose I could call the book Sunburst, Sundance, and Luminary, but I chose to leave out sun Dance because didn't really concern the lunar landing very much. What these books showed us, because remember we're at a time when there were no terminals of any kind to read code own. What these books contained was the program did fit inside a computer that was really very modest by today's standards. It had in all thirty eight a words. Each word was the size of two bytes, so you could say it had memory totaling seventy six kilobytes, of which only four kilobytes was what we called a racimal memory, meaning read write memory. The other seventy two kilobytes contained the program, and since it was divided into two byte words, there was the vasti for something thirty six thousand instructions, and that was all written down in this one lump of paper, which is what we stared at when we wanted to think about the code. It was organized operationally into a number of programs key programs because they were designated things like P forty or P sixty three, which happened to be the beginning of the liutar landing was P sixty three, And there were also routines that wore our names. And this was all laid out in somewhat vague form in a requirements document called the A Guidance System Operations Plan. But we very soon realized that the real time nature of what we're doing was the hard part, and that was not really very well covered in the the GEESOP as we called it. So that's what we were doing. We were figuring out how to write the navigation, the other and the human interface and the things that went with that inside rather small number of possible instructions, say thirty thousand, and to do it in a way that maximize the capability of this little machine.
Speaker 2: Incredible, John, I got to ask you this more from a humanistic side. You know, Apollo eight, we all remember I was just a young boy. We watched around Christmas even sixty eight, and I've spoken to Jim Lovell on this one and I got his interpretation of what they did. Of course it was great, But were you kind of surprised that NASA had moved that quickly forward to do that man mission around the Moon. I mean it seemed like in my opinion, and I'm not a space scientist like yourself, but wasn't that a little quick? I mean, they made a decision to go and a manned effort. And look at Artemis today, we're trying to get artemists to go around the moon, not with people in it. Was that a little surprise to you that they did it in a relatively quick way?
Speaker 1: Well? I was I crossed, shall we say. It showed me working down in the trenches. It showed me that they were serious about doing this. Yes, you know it came across as a bold decision, but I think it was very definitely the right decision. It was one of those variant decisions that I think were probably necessary for us to meet the goal that Werestin Kennedy.
Speaker 2: Had said, absolutely, you know this is amazing. Let's go back to November sixth, nineteen sixty seven. You described that as a very interesting day. There you are, I guess, with your other colleagues conducting a special meeting with the astronauts. That would be the first and second and possibly third and may even fourth to the landing of the moon. But you describe in there the humor of Pete Conrad. I always followed him. I never had the privilege and honor of speaking with him, as we know, sadly he perished in a motorcycle accident, as very much as sad as that is back here on earth when he did all these things in space. But describe that meeting, because now we're talking one in that room with not only national heroes that go to the moon, yourselves and the people developing the luminary portion for the lunar landing and descent. That must have been quite an experience. Talk a little bit about that in Pete Conrad.
Speaker 1: Well, it was my first exposure to astronauts, and it quickly erased any idea that astronauts were the least bit that's the right word, the least bit cut from the same cult, shall we say, because they showed a variety of types. I wasn't invited to the meeting in its entirety, but at the point where the meeting reached the area of the literal landing programs, Alan Klump, who I mentioned a few minutes ago, he let me know that I should come in, so I did, And at first I assumed that the sort of molding a guy with a gap between his teeth and a nice glint plaid sued who was mostly on his seat, was some sort of particularly buoyant Nassa manager. But it was actually the astronaut Pete Conrad, who was very expressive. You know, It's a little hard to describe because it was a blend of you know, extreme intelligence with a little bit of an all shucks sort of the manner. Yes, ironically, of the Apollo astronauts, he was the only Ivy leaguer. He was from he got his degree at Princeton. Didn't know that, yes, I you know, I in the book, I resisted the temptation to characterize astronauts according to what film star they remanded me. But for me, Pete Conrad was sort of the mix of Richard Widmark and Slim Pickens, uh, you know, the cold calculating versus the you know, the fun loving. But also at the meeting where Jim Lovell, who I don't remember so well from the meeting, and Neil Armstrong, who I do remember. One of the things he was interested in, which was the one of the meters that that our software used to give into information to the astronauts, and the cockpit was oriented in a fashion that made interpreting its meaning not totally straightforward. So he discussed that a little bit, which was an eye opener for me as to astronaut thinking the way astronauts stall.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, folks, you're here with me, Doctor Sky here on talk radio seventy seven WABC in New York. The Doctor Sky experience continues, and what a great guest, folks. Don Isles his book Sunburst, Luminary and Apollo Memoir. When you watch, if you're old enough like myself, I'm sixty six years young. I remember seeing this lunar landing. I had to ask permission done for my parents to stay up late that night on the East Coast time zone there. But wow, what an experience as we all saw. The handiwork that you and your team help is kind of the silent heroes of this particular mission, as I would like to describe it, but I want to go and I always do. A tribute to the astronauts of Apollo one with a sad event that happened. January twenty seventh is nineteen sixty seven. But I learned something in your book by describing, and there is no reflection on you on the software side of this. But poor Gus Grissom, God blessom. You describe him sitting in a bar by himself in Cocoa Beach, and he was kind of frustrated, as I'm sure I would be in any other astronaut at the time, with the spacecraft, all the problems they had with the Apollo one capsule. What do you say, and I quote, what we have here is a heath kit, and that's an amazing end to quote describe him. Had you ever met Gus Grissom yourself, sir.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid not. I never did have occasion to meet him. I began to meet astronauts in the run up to Apollo eleven, other than the meeting in nineteen sixty seven that I described.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talt in there. Let's continue here and the rest of the time that we have here. And I appreciate your time, sir. This is just awesome. I could go on for hours here. The Apollo eleven mission, of course, Apollo ten came within fifty two thousand feet of the lunar surface. And you know, if I was on board there, I probably want to brought that baby down to the surface, but they followed the good rules with all the software that you had developed and things that happened. To describe this whole scenario as we describe it in your book, and I think people should really read this, is that there's actually three separate maneuvers that have to take place. One three phases for the lunar landing, and you described them in the p version like p. Sixty three, P. Sixty four, p. Sixty five. Can you give us I know it's kind of technical, what do they need to do? And how did the Apollo eleven then makeage journey down to the surface of the bone.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll describe that. Let me backtrack on one point. I mentioned that Luminary flew all the lunar landings, but Luminary was a program that continued to evolve, So in a sense, the program for each mission until we got to Apollo fifteen was actually different. New capabilities were being added, occasionally bugs were found, and so the Apollo ten program, which I believe was Luminary Revision sixty nine approximately, would not have done needed more work before it was ready for a lunar landing, so for Apollo, and leaving us side of the question of fuel, for Apollo ten to have tried to land would not have worked out very well. Now, the lunar landing did have three phases, which was important in large part to make possible landing accurately at a spot on the Moon. There were two. The main thing that had to happen to land, to go down from lunar orbit to the Moon was to shed velocity. We were going. You go around the Moon much slower than around Earth, so we were going I believe the number is around thirty six hundred miles per hour fifty five hundred approximately feet per a second the way we've thought of it, and that's with respect to the Moon. And the main job is to cut that down so that your velocity with respect to the Moon at the point you touch it is a very low you know, a few you know, three foot feet for a second. Let us see say you also need to be a right side up when you land on the Moon. You also wanted to be not in the middle of any violent maneuver. You want to be in a fairly calm state. So to do that required an equation that could satisfy fairly complex terminal conditions. The other thing was that it had to be possible for a reasonable amount of time or the astronauts to be able to look out the front window of the limb and see the area in front of them where they were going to land, and to be able to modify their trajectory if they saw that they were coming down in a place they didn't like, and that required cutting the landing into several phases. The first phase, which was designated P sixty three, was called the breaking phase, and it began at an altitude of about fifty thousand feet, the velocity of about fifty five one hundred feet per second, and it began with the limb thrusting directly ahead, directly into the direction of motion, trying to shed that velocity. And during that phase, which lasted ten minutes or so, the limb gradually did maneuver to a more erect posture, but even until the end, the view ahead was not really satisfactory. The way we achieved the visibility requirement then was to switch to a second phase, which used the same equation but with different targets, and as a result of the targeting that caused the limb to pitch forward, so that now the astronauts had a good view of the surface. And on every mission except Apollo eleven, you'll find the astronauts are reacting vociferously and enthusiastically at that moment because they've trained, above all to be able to orient themselves at that moment, to recognize the pattern of craters ahead that would orient them and show them where to go.
Speaker 2: Well going this upswer, Yeah, because excuse me for just jumping in here. They're all watching something called what the disky, which is five display kind of five five line character display. And I'm amazed that that was there. What that was actually the key to this where they had an input on that screen or onto that device, the various p programs that you're talking about. But how did you describe it? You call it the disky? Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Discy for display and keyboard?
Speaker 2: And I'm just curious. I go back in the old days when a lot of my electronic engineer friends of the sixties, they said, in those days, they didn't have really good displays like we have today, they had something called NIXI tubes. Is that something that was around at that time? I guess the old place.
Speaker 1: Nixi tubes were around the displays in the DISKI were not Nixy tubes, and I can't really speak to exactly what they were, but some sort of electroluminescent display, and it was strictly numeric. They were just looking at numbers, and they had to know what those numbers meant, and they had to know where the decimal point was. Now, some of the phases did not have to be selected through the discy. Some of them could be selected automatically, or some of them could be selected by changes in the switch settings in the cockpit. And I hadn't quite gotten to the sorry for that dinging. I hadn't quite gotten the third phase of the liberal landing, which was the very last part where the astronaut with the assistance of the computer, is flying the limb somewhat like a helicopter, sort of a stick and rutter style during the final couple of hundred feet of the lunar descent.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's incredible what we're hearing here on this particular interview today. But don is the spacecraft was the sunning to the moon. To Paulo eleven. We have this thing that I never got anybody to be able to explain it, and I know you can. They get a twelve o two alarm and then a twelve oh one alarm. Is that correct? Is they're getting down to the surface of the moon.
Speaker 1: There were five alarms in all, and the two types you mentioned. They were all of the two types you mentioned. And it was of course a scary moment because something was happening in our computer that at the time we did not understand. However, the spacecraft state owned trajectory and didn't show any other problems than these alarms. What happened, however, when each of these alarms occurred, was a reboot of the software on the fly, and that of course was a bit scary. Yes, it was all calls by sort of they listener standing the electronics. It was made possible by a switch setting in the cocktent that possibly was ill advised and maybe hadn't been totally fought through.
Speaker 2: But they came kind of close to what potentially won the abort button which you don't want to push. Correct, I mean that was or is that not true? They were actually on to continue. Obviously mission control thought it was good, but were they actually really close to actually telling them to punch that aboardment.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think they were quite close. I mean, I think that was exactly the situation. Do we continue this lunar landing? Is it safe to continue this lunar landing? Of course the lunar landing is never safe. But shall we continue this lunar landing or shall we aboard? And in this case, mission control had a better perspective on the problem than we did in Cambridge.
Speaker 2: Well, Don, it's all to the success not only a mission control, but you and the great people behind this team to develop something that most humans on this planet really don't have an idea of about how to get to the surface of the Moon in the most difficult what twelve minutes of all But hopefully in a future interview, if you're so kind to give us your time, I'd love to continue, but just really quickly through this, and we have a few minutes left on Apollo twelve. Never had half the opportunity to meet Pete Conrad, but I did talk with al Bean once. As you describe it in the book, the rocket is launched and lightning strikes the actual Saturn five and then they get this whole on a blackout, on their whole consoles, and then there was this way to save it that really not too many people knew about. It was something where you had to hit a switch or do something called see to auxiliary And I guess what that saved the emission. That would have been a potential real disaster. Right if nothing came back online, Well.
Speaker 1: The astron the spacecraft would have reached orbit safely. Oh even without SCEE the hawks. It is a famous instant, John Aaron, I believe it's credit with coming up with that, and by thinking of that, and by the switch being flipped in the cockpit, it gave it restored information to the ground. It allowed the ground now to see what was happening. So I think it was very important for that reason.
Speaker 2: Well that the reading in history. But I wanted to ask you quickly and again if you're kind enough to do this with us in the future here on the Doctor Scout Experience, would love to do a part two of this and even do some other things where we do on big movie theaters around the country where we have guests pop in on different various means like zoom, where we actually have an audience in there to do a talkback. But what I'd like to ask you, is we both had the opportunity of knowing it, doctor edgar Mitchell, But tell us briefly the story of Apollo fourteen, because you obviously had your fifteen plus minutes maybe in fame on this and it wasn't your plan, but you're the one who figured out something. What was it that happened with Apollo for fourteen?
Speaker 1: Well, once more, it was my software that was involved, as it had been a limb one and again on Apollo eleven with the alarms, because it was discovered in Houston during the hours leading up to the lunar landing that a switch in the cockpit was sending a spurious signal and it was the abort switch or the abort button. It would be used during a landing to immediately command an a board and if that did occur during the landing, it would were in the mission because it would have been impossible to recycle. So the reason my software was involved is that that switch sent a signal to the computer, which at this point, well before the landing, we weren't looking at They just were able to see it on a console in Houston. But once the lunar landing started, a piece of software would start running which I had written, which tests for an input from those switches, because they are actually too the aboord and aboard state switch, and if it sees that one of them has been pushed, it dispatches the correct program to do the abort. And so what I was able to do was to come up with a way to defeat my own software to make it not sensitive to this input. And so that was the germ of the idea, was to set something that indicated and the board was already in process, which wasn't true, but the indication could be set which fooled the software into not looking at the buttons. And of course there were some other consequences that had to be dealt with. But we did develop that procedure in Cambridge over the course of an hour or so. Tests it in Cambridge, it was tested in Houston, and it was right up to the spacecraft and with admirable song Fla it was adopted and Keiden the computer by metrol.
Speaker 2: You know, that's real genius and I'm so honored to have you here today. Done Really, I'm serious. I'm a big fan of the space program. I never flew anything in space, nor am I an asher, not just a journalist that tries to do the best by listening to great stories. But I got to ask you this as we talk about NASA twenty twenty two. We've been talking on our shows around the nation about Artemis One interesting I find out that the SR twenty five engines on there, they're not brand new engines. They've been flight tested, they say, four hundred and five flights. The SR twenty five's have been a generally good engine. But let me ask you from the personal side, the NASA of today. I mean, again, I don't mean to get very political here, but I just got to ask the question. There seems, in my opinion, by talking to so many space pioneers and people, that there was a different type of feeling and your description of what the feeling was like, and I'm quoting you primed for Adventure end of quote, what's going on with NASA? I mean, if you were there to tell them to advise them, are they doing everything right? Or is there something wrong that we're not looking out here? And art of.
Speaker 1: Us, Well, it's a difficult subject. I don't think there's anything wrong, but I do think that some spirit that we had back then is missing, and it's hard to put your finger my finger on what that is. It was an ability heat to go directly at the problem, it seems like, and in a way I mentioned our little computer that had the capacity for thirty thousand lines of code, but in some small way that was an advantage, and the very practical and simple design of the lunar module was sort of looking directly at the problem without somehow there's a sense of complication having entered that we didn't feel in those days. I don't think I've expressed this very well, you know, I still have confidence in that. I'm also amazed by what Musk is done, and I think they will have success. And their concept I think is sound or the moon the way to Mars, and I'm looking forward to them having a success with FAD, even though I think perhaps they are.
Speaker 2: Too.
Speaker 1: There's certainly much more bonded down in a managerial culture than we shall we say.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was going to say. I agree with you there, sir. I'm again a big, big fan of what has has done, and especially what you folks have done. But I hope in the future that we can do this again here on the Doctor Sky experience. I want to thank you for your time and please stay on the line with us as we conclude this Doctor Sky Experience here exclusively on talk radio seventy seven WABC out of New York with our producer Richard Dugan, Doctor Dean, as we explore these great realms of astronomy, space, aviation, weather, celebrity guests, and common sense interviews about our American heritage. Thank you so much, Don, it's a privilege and honor. The book Sunburst at Luminary and Apollo Memoir again published by Ford Point Press. You can get the book wherever good books are sold. And let's talk again. I always say this to everybody, and I think you would degree here. Always what remember to keep your eyes to the skies and thank you for what your team did back there quite a while ago. Ladies and gentlemen at the great Minds of Mit their logo there they're mantramends at manas mind in hand. Thank you so much, Don Niles. Stay on the line with us and thank you. Until next week we'll talk more on the Doctor Sky Experience. Email me at Doctor Skyshow at gmail dot com at the drs Ay Show at gmail. Thank you, Don thank you.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it,