Speaker 1: Welcome to the Bear Hunting Magazine Hunt Cast with me Koby Morehead. We're gonna nerd out on bears hunting in the outdoors. We'll tell stories, talk biology, tactics, gear, and the fight to protect the pursuits that we hold dear. So grab your bino's, lace up your boots, load up your barrels, and gather the hounds as we venture on this journey together. All right, welcome to another episode of the Bear Hunting Magazine hunt Cast. Today, we're joined by my buddy Heath up in Virginia. Big old plot.
Speaker 2: Guy was, I'm running those hosts tens. Now, I get a little I get a I get a little hate. I get a little hate from it. But yeah, I plots are near and dear to me. That's what I started hunting. That's that's what got me into hound hunting, and they do hold a special place in my heart. But right now I'm I'm sorry, I'm running the tricolors.
Speaker 1: What did all your friends say?
Speaker 2: Uh? Well, the group that I hunt with now, they're all we're all running kind of mixed up dogs. I mean, we got a little bit of everything, but none of us are running. None of us are running like a registered plot. Got some of them got some plot mix. And the guys in West Virginia that we were just talking about I hunt with now they have a couple of plots and they're they've crossed the plots with some English dogs, so they're they're running that. But nobody in my immediate group actually has one at this point in time.
Speaker 1: Are right, Well I misspoke. The guys that I talked to your buddies with the are all plot guys.
Speaker 2: Well that's again, that's where I got my start. You know, that takes this all the way back to you know Fielder back in ninety seven. That was when we first met, when I was running my little plot female Brandy and he was hunting Wrangler. And that's I mean, so yeah, I mean, it's it's there. That's the footprint of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well I never said your last name that we're talking today with Heath Hyatt and a few issues back, Bear sar Gooser wrote an article about the benefits of cross training, and Bear's a busy guy right now. So the person that came to mind whenever I was thinking about who can talk about this? You jumped into my head. A lot of people might not know talk talk about your podcast, like you have a hound podcast that you put.
Speaker 2: On, Yeah, so you supply Yeah, you can catch us over on the W network and Kobe and I was just talking about this. I'm still nameless. We call it What's Up Wednesdays. That's just to us to hang us there until we can come up with the title that we're looking for. But yeah, we talk about dog training and we talk about it in all types of venues, which is leading us into this podcast. You know, I'm a police canine trainer. That's what I do for a living, is is train and do the maintenance work and do schools and get dogs up and running in the law enforcement world. And I try to incorporate that into the hound hunting and bring some of those tricks and techniques and tactics into the training that I do with my hands. And I will say, and I know we'll go over this, but it has made my hunting so much more enjoyable by just doing a few of the small things that make the relationship between you and your and your hunting partner, your hound. And you know, most guys are running a handful of dogs. I mean, my typical number that I'm carrying with me at a time is about six. That's my that's my sweet spot. And I know some guys run more than that, some guys run a little less than that. But when you go to handling six dogs, it can be tough. And the podcast that that we talk about I have, I have people from all over the world. In fact, today, uh, which is a Wednesday, we had I had a lady on from Boswana and we were talking about hunting leopards with hounds. How they do it, the stuff that they're looking for in a dog. You know, they're using a whole pack, and they're using that pack strategically. They've got two dogs that trail. They've got two dogs that put the pressure, which are plots colby the pushing pressure on the dog. They're using some some some of the old gasking type dogs. So they're using a mix and match of dogs to put their pack together so that it can work as one unit. But just I had her on today. You know, I've had some some of the world renown and police canine trainers on who I've become friends with, some of them who even meant toor me, uh for what I do. We have those guys on. We've had retriever guys had Jim roncourse uh with Drake Waterfowl on. You know, I've had Jason Carter and Jeremy Moore, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other bird dog guys Tyler Smith. We've had a lot of bird dog guys on. So anything that I can learn and I can bring to the table for the listeners, that's what the podcast is about, is picking up different training techniques and methods to enhance your relationship with your dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's really good. I mean, if you get stuck inside of just your segment, it's dangerous to get into that group think and you never really like are going up inside of your I guess like maturity, you're limited to the people you keep around you. And I don't know, I think there's a lot of benefit. I mean, if you think about an MMA fighter, no person that is just versed in one particular style is going to go out there and dominate, Like they have to have a balance of you know, they've got to have the ability to get down and grapple, to stand up and throw hands and stuff like that. I mean, I could see where it takes different disciplines to have a super well rounded hound.
Speaker 2: You know. And I was thinking about this after you and I talked today on the way home. I'll think about you know, my so I you know, I've been in the hand world thirty years, so I've actually owned and raised hounds for thirty and the first the first set of dogs that I had and won't even talk about. You know, Brandy, my plot female like, she was a natural and the only thing I did is put boot leather in her. Like hunted. I hunted, and I hunted and I hunt. I was hunting six nights a week, and I mean that's all I did. As far as the training part of it, I had no clue what I was doing. None, And even into some of the first bear dogs that I ended up with. I had a dog named Frosty, and Frosty like taught me about bear hunting, like he taught me where to go find bear like I had no I had no clue. And I was an avid hunter, but I did not understand the woods until I started fallowing a hound. And that was in my early twenties. You know, I was in my early twenties. But all the dogs that have been really good dogs and made me look like a really good handler and trainer. They were naturals. I didn't do nothing. I took them hunting. I did very little correction with them because the style of correction correction that I was applying was basically not working or the dogs were so strong that the damage that I was doing to them by the wrong correction, they just went on about their business. They shook it off and went on and that takes a certain style of dog to do that. But it wasn't until I got into the actual training aspect for the law enforcement side, which is going to be about twenty ten, so that's fourteen years ago. That's when that kind of lifted lid off of my box. Like you just said, the realm that I was in, like I had no clue. I had no clue what I was doing. Dogs hunting and a hunted hard like I did. I stayed in the woods. That was that's my life, that's my passion. That's what I did. But the dogs made me look good. I didn't make them look good because I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I didn't understand you know, behavior, I didn't understand drives. I didn't understand the methods and stuff that we used today on how to tweak things. And I get some I get some blowback on well I don't want to hear what a police trainer has to say. I get it. You know, if you're closed minded, then it doesn't apply to you, and I'll you know, but it does apply to you. There is stuff there is nobody that knows, drives and stuff like these guys that are actually make not making that are asking a dog to go apprehend a human being. The dogs are domesticated, we've been they've been domesticated for thousands of years. And you're telling that dog that, hey, here I'm feeding you, human is feeding you human. Are good, But now I need you to go. I need you to go apprehend this guy. So learning how to get the dogs to operate under that, for me at that point in time was overwhelming, Like it was so much information that I couldn't take it all in. I've got notes and notebooks and stuff stacked up. I've watched videos, I bought DVDs like I was like a sponge and I still am. I still want to learn, I still want to make myself better. And just like you refer to the athlete. Like, if I'm just stuck in my zone here boom, then what I know is what I know, and I have to form. I have to pick out dogs that work under that that zone, Like if they don't fit in that zone, then they're not going to work for me because I don't know anything else. And I hunt, I don't hunt. I have several groups that I train with that i'm that I certify with or I certify their guys they use they use some techniques that are very old, but they have perfected their craft in that. But when they perfected their craft, they've got a certain type of dog that fits into that mold. And I think that is what has made me better is taking the sport dog world. The sport dog guys have so much control on their dog and they have not diminished to drive whatsoever. That is the biggest croc of baloney that I hear. Well, I don't want to shut the dog down yet. You can shut the dog down if you handle things wrongly. But if you understand drives, what motivates the dog, what the dog's working for, Like you're you can make that dog do anything you want him to do. You're not going to hurt him by putting a handle on him. And I hear a lot of people say that, like, you know, don't you know you got too much control of them dogs. Well, yeah, when when they're not out here doing what they're you know, what I want them to do, then I want them to be under control. I don't want them to run them up, you know. So I don't know, there's a lot. There's a lot that goes into it. I think taking different training methods and training disciplines, you know, like I said, you can look at the retrievers and the pointers. You look at the deer dog guys and the coyote guys. I'll give you I'll give you example of the coyote coyote gas. So I interviewed them a guy by the name Howard Owens, and he was talking about the dog swinging wide on a track and I had I was like, all right, so explain to me what swinging means. And he said, the dog goes wide, and you know, they lose some points and whatever. So this past this, so our season's in right now, you're not talking about that. My little female, my little Kate female, who is a kemp dog. I have noticed and I noticed this. I really noticed it. Noticed it last year's She turned five this year, so, but last year I really noticed it that she's always out. If you're looking at the garment, her track's going to be off to the side. She's not going to be right with the pack necessarily unless it's just caught and walking. If it's running. And I was up in West Virginia on Youth Day and I'm sitting there in my truck and I'm watching the iPad and she swings way wide and she comes right back into them dogs. And what he told me during that podcast was it was her like I realized that boom, like, this is my dog. This is what she's doing. I always seen her kind of mealing off or not melling, but off the track a little bit with the group, but she always was where she was need to be, and sometimes she would end up shortcutting those dogs and being in front. But I learned something from him. I understand it more because somebody else told me something that I didn't know.
Speaker 1: While you were talking, I was just thinking that we have to think about what our community is, and it seems like a lot of guys would just think their community would be bear dogs. Or tree dogs, or down to a specific breed. But what you're talking about is going out and encompassing the wider community of houndsmen, of dog guys and handlers. And whenever you do that, it gives you the ability to see things that are illuminated by the things that they're strong in. So basically, like their strengths are the things that they really have to focus in on, illuminate the things inside of your own hounds, and give you the ability to have a better experience with them, you know. So I mean in some guys, I don't know. I think some guys like the chaos, you know, like some guys want the split trees, and they get the love from the that wild, chaotic like handle the thing, you know, like their handle is like I can step up wheneverything's happened that are outside of my control, you know, and I can go out there and handle it, and they get a lot of pride or or feel strength, or or they just like the excitement of it. I don't know, But you were talking about how having a better handle and having better training inside of your hounds makes the hunt more enjoyable for you. So what's become more enjoyable about hunting with dogs that you have a new type of training and a good handling on it on them.
Speaker 2: Well for me, And I'm very particular. If you make it down here in December, you're going to see, like I'm very structured in my regiment, like what I do. I don't like dogs barking in the box, Like I don't. You know, if you're barking, you better be barking because you've got a big whiff of bar oder. I see a lot of guys driving around in boxes that the dogs are just the whole day, and I can't stand that. That's me personally, each to their own. I'm not against it, it's just not for me.
Speaker 1: Well, I think a lot of guys have given up on getting that team down well.
Speaker 2: And I tell one of my good friends this all the time. If you've got one that do it, does it, then you've got five that does it. Because it's monkey sea monkey do. Dogs learn from each other more than we give them credit for. But you know, just you know, and I know a lot of guys do this because I see it. I see it all the time. In fact, I've got to put this out there because I just watched the line Heart video today for Colorado, and you know, Josh Whitterkin and we're on there and these guys, you know, they saddle up their horses, they they have their dogs with them. They're riding along as as a team. Like the dogs are not acting crazy, and you know, they're not blowing through the country. Of course, this is big game hunting, not competition coon hunting, so it's different. We've got to differentiate what we're talking about. But just the dogs are just so a pleasure to be around. And you know, I come out of the woods the other day Monday, pouring down around. I got to the tree, I get my hands on two dogs. The bear slides out. I literally got two dogs in my hand. I can't get the other two. It's the skies opened up. I mean it monsoon rain. I'm miserable, Like you know how it is when you walk in wet I got to walk a half a mile back to the truck. But as soon as that, soon as I got my dogs off the tree, like I don't put a lead on them, like come on, let's go, guys, and they come out with me. And then you know, I had to drive around the mountain and walk another almost a half a mile into the secondary and same thing. As soon as I get my hands on a dog, it's gone. Man. And I'm sitting there with my dogs and I'm holding them, and I did put them on a lead for a minute. I walked them back about thirty yards, let them calm down for a second, and then I un snapped him, like all right, let's go. Now. It's still raining and I'm wet, But just being able to speak to the dogs instead of you know, screaming and yelling and all the time hooping and hollering like that takes that makes it more stressful than it needs to be. But it goes further than that cold. It goes into like training techniques like I'm doing then in print scent in printing program that I picked up from Miguel over in Spain, and I've been imprinting my puppies from five weeks old on scent up to I don't know I do. I do it kind of like I do my here. I learned this from the police stide. When I'm imprinting dogs for odor, I eat narcotics. Then I run through a process and I'm doing my hands the same way but I'm using Miguel's I'm using his method, but my technique to it from what I'm taking. So I'm taking his world in my world, putting it together. And I've got my puppies trailing odor at i mean eight weeks old, like they're taking tracks again, these are fifteen minute old tracks that are twenty yards, and then we build up and we build up, and then I've got them running an hour hour and a half two hour old tracks with humidity letter levels high. The temperature is in the mid seventies, like they're using their noses at an earlier stage, so the dog's mature faster. So I'm able to do more things with them in that me, I don't like to hunt my dogs before three a year old. That's me personally, But I'm able to do more things and build foundations with them. And you know, I've got my dogs loading in the truck at three and a half four months old. I mean they're jumping on the tailgate, they're doing you know, they're doing their things. They're you know, I'm tone breaking my dogs, you know, at four or five months old, using some of the methods that I've learned from my law enforcement side. It's just stuff like that that has helped me become better and it helped my dog, me and the dogs have a better relationship. Like I said, I'm I come from an old school method of training, and it was all compulsion. And if your listeners don't know what compulsion is, it's you do as I say, or I'm gonna make you do it, and if you don't do it, I'm gonna make you do it again. And you know, that's what I knew. That's how I was raised, That's how I was brought up, That's what I saw in my early years as hunting, and I quickly learned that there's a thousand other ways to do it. And when you can motivate that dog to do things that you're wanting him to do, it just makes everything ten times better. Does that make sense what I'm saying? Yeah? I think.
Speaker 1: So what are some of the things you would say, like maybe the top three things that you're training to a dog that are just non negotiable for you to now you know where it's like, these are the three top things that you really focus on recalls?
Speaker 2: First one recall which means the dog has to come to you.
Speaker 1: How are you calling them back as a voice or tone.
Speaker 2: Or so I start out with voice. In fact, I did a podcast on these guys. You can go to What's Up Wednesday listen to it. So first I start out with voice, and I always use food as the motivator. But then as the dog's mature a little bit and you start adding in distractions, then the food motivator is good, but it's not the end all be all, So you've got to add some type of correction into it. Their pairs start paying the tone to it, and I'll tell you, you know, I'll give you a prime example of this. So if I if we're on a mean bear, a bear on the ground training season especially, you can't do nothing with it. You just got to get your dogs. If I can get in to where my dogs can hear me, like if I holler at them, hey, and most of them will come to me. There's a couple that I have to tone because they are stubborn and hard headed. But that's also what makes them a good bear dog. That's, you know, that determination that makes a good dog. But if I can get in where I can see them or or talk to them, I can get In fact, this happened to us a couple of weeks ago, and that's exactly what I did. I started, I hate y'all, come here. I ever of them, and the last two I had to tone, which I knew I was gonna have to tone her because that's what she always does. But recall is them. That one of the main things, even in the police world, the narcotics dogs, they don't have to have a whole lot of handle on. They just need to get out of the car and they need to run a search pattern and they need to get it back in a car. But the one thing that they must have on them to recall what happens if that lead slips and you're on the side of an interstate a dog runs out in the middle of the road. You got to be able to get him back. Same thing with the hounds, that you know, the dogs need to come back when they're called. When I was in Canada back in June, Sarah and Nick, that's one of the things they commented on is my dog was a little over. It was sixtenths of a mile in there. Now again we're in Canada, it's flat in Virginia. You're not calling no dog back over a mile. You're not going to do it. But I hollered a few times and it was with you know, fifteen minutes later, he's standing there at the buggy looking at us, and Sarah's like, I can't believe you called that dog, Like, well, yeah, if he hears me, he better come to me. That's what he's taught to do. But recall recalls number one. Number two if we're talking about Haunds is no loose barking, no barking in the box, no babbling, nothing like that. That's something that that I don't like. I would rather train that. Well. I'm very fortunate. Remember when I said I got dogs that have made me look really good. I've got dogs that are that have got sense. And if I get one, especially the puppies, the one or two puppies here here now, they'll start doing it in the box. I'll I'll do a light stem if I need to, I can fix it, no problem. I've even got a piece of para cord that I run run out my window into the to the slide of the box, tied it to their collar, and if they start barking, it's just tap tap tap tap tap tap, just something it's very very subtle. It's just hey, I don't want you to do this. I don't do that driving down the interstate going to the woods. But when I'm on the dirt road. Dogs are creatures a habit, just like human and a lot of dogs when they start hitting that dirt road, they know the funds is getting ready to start, right because dirt roads were always smelled at, mister bear. So a lot of dogs when they hit that dirt road, man, that's when they start getting a little nancy. They're you know, they're whimpering and they're whining. So I'm more tendency to do it there. If it's on the interstate, I'm not having something hanging out the window and people, what is that idiot doing?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: So I'll use the collar if I need to. But everything that I do is very subtle, very very subtle. I don't I feel like sometimes maybe people don't understand that you can accomplish more with less that you know you can do more with.
Speaker 1: So well, I mean like you can do that with horses, you know, horses and mules. It's just light pressure and uh, that's good. Whenever you have a dog that likes toub Barker gets really excited when you get it out of the box. Is that something that you try to train out to too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again I'm I'm going to tell you some of my my my law enforcement training that has went into my handworld. So I've made really good friends with Henny and Rude and they're from they're from Holland or yeah, they're from Holland. So they've been in the Dutch police force for thirty forty years and they've come over. They've taught seminars, they've been to my house, we've we've they've taught us. One of the things that I learned from them is a dog in a commmind can accomplish more So if that dog is jacked up on speed, you know, then he's not in it. He's in not right, he's not in the right front of mind to work and do what he's asked to do. So I start this like I've got pups out here that are three months old, and I started this probably a month ago. When I go to the kennel to let them out and they're bouncing around and then I stand there and I stand there and I stand there until they get calm. And once they're calm and they're looking at me like, all right, dad, what's what's the problem. I opened the gate real slow. I don't say a word to them, and I let them come out. I don't like them busting over me, like you know what I'm saying, dogs running out of the dog box, running over the top of you. So I start that process when they're puppies. If I was to get a younger dog or dog that done that, just like you said, comes out of the box and all hippy yippy yippi, then he would stay in the box until he's calm. And I know a lot of people don't have patience for that, but it doesn't take them long to understand what you're asking them to do, and they have a clear mind when they come out, and when they come out, they can get right on task, and things happen a lot faster when they're you know the three or four or five or let's just say a week or two that it takes you to accomplish that task, Well, you just set yourself up for the next six or seven years of hunting with a dog that's that's not acting a full per se.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's number three, you know, that would be that would be number three is I don't like dogs running over top of me, like I don't you know, I'm not having them busting out of the box on me.
Speaker 2: And I've had that before and it'll koby. I've actually got rid of some pretty decent dogs over you know, the last ten fifteen years that were just like what you were saying, is they were too hyper for me. Like, I don't need that dog wired for sound twenty four to seven in my pen, in my box into the woods. And I haven't had one recently, but that's something that I didn't know how to fix it before and now I know how to work on it. And some dogs are still wired for sound. They're still going to be wired for sound no matter what. That's just not my style of dog. I like the dog that lays on the front porch and when you say all right, let's go, they shake off and they're like, all right, let's go, and they jump up in a truck and there, you know, you see that enthusiasm, You see that come to life. That's my style of dog. So I don't want a dog that's wired for sound twenty four to seven that's I can't. I can't handle it.
Speaker 1: Do you do the same thing inside their kennels? Is there something that you do to keep your hounds from barking there at the house?
Speaker 2: Well, unfortunately this is something I have to talk all right. So I live right beside a horse farm, and literally my kennel backed right up to the fence and the horses will come up. As when the dogs are younger, I have to stay on on quite a bit to keep them barking from the horses. As they get older and mature, then I don't have that problem. So it's like a phase. But I think too just keeping the dogs active and busy, like we like where I live, I can let my dogs out, I don't you know. I can let them out, let them running in the yard, and let them, you know, kind of do what they want to do. My puppies like from the time they're win six months, seven months, seven fix six seven weeks old untill I mean my other pups are twelve, they're three months old, when they run loose from daylight little dark, like, I don't put them up until dark. I let them out in the morning until they start running off, and then I put them up when when I go to bed, So that helps too. That really helps with the dogs being able to mature a little faster, get to go out and explore and things are not as it they're not. They don't get as excited over the small things because they already know what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you I mean, and this is something that I don't think somebody could prove. But whenever you breed that calmness coming out of the box with your hounds, do they seem to pick up a track and work it out the right way? Or do you have Do.
Speaker 2: You feel like.
Speaker 1: Them not coming out as anxious kind of helps them maybe not backtracked as much.
Speaker 2: Yes, but there's gonna be a caveat to that. If I dump all six of my dogs out, then there is a chance that somebody's gonna shoot off with it backwards. Even though they're not coming out like banchees. You know they're they're coming out and like, oh okay if it's a red hot, scorching track. In fact, in fact, this happened to me one day this week. I don't know what day, but I had a pup with me, a year old, and struck off the rig and I turned him down first, he was in the box, turned him out and turned my other two young but my two year olds out, and they went up above the road and made a circle and come back and below the road. Well they struck. Well, he went up the road up above the road with him. Well, he just kept going. They went down below the road and struck and took the track. Then I put the two older dogs with them, and you know, gos Man, I think he run that thing back to where it was born. Like I spent four hours trying to catch a sucker. But he's young, and most people would have gotten mad at that. But as I was sitting there waiting on him to and he actually he's pretty good about backtracking himself back to where he got turnloose. So that's for a year old dog. I'm pleased with that trait. But I was thinking about it. I was sitting there working on him. I'm like, man, you know, I'm pretty aggravated that he didn't. He didn't get right. But it was my fault because I turned him loose with very little experience on him. It's my fault I turned him loose. He took the track and went on and I could be mad at him. But the thing that I told myself the positive ab out of this was I dumped four dogs out them screaming out of there. He should have been with them, but he had enough mind of his own and enough will to continue to do what he thought was right at the time, even though it was wrong. So I know when I get that dog straightened out and I will that he's going to be something I can depend on. He's going to be dependable. And I think sometimes we get so immersed in the dog doing something he shouldn't be doing that we get sidetracked on saying, okay, let's look at this dog. You know he took the track. Dogs were screaming. So I know when this dog gets to trailing, I want him to and the dogs get to messing up, or dogs get to barking in the box, down down where somebody's park or something, he's gonna keep on going. I know that's what he's gonna do. Like I already see that trait, and I was okay with that.
Speaker 1: It seems like with a lot of training different critters that the real aspect of training and mainly handling, it's really an outflow of the handler. A lot of times, and it's not as much about the animal and their attributes, Like there might be some things that are harder to bring back to a point of like center balance, but just it seems like awareness is really important of each individual hound, you know. And I've heard people talk about like that raising their kids, like I have to respond this way to this kid, I have to respond this way to that kid. I have to get on this kid hard, and this kid, I've got to gently point them the right way, you know, and not get down hard on them. And I've seen that in different dogs that I've had not as much of, like for hunting and stuff, but just like dogs around the house, it's like some it's like you get onto them and you can tell that I mean, they've never been beat, but they like they have been. It's like they just can't take that correction, and uh, you just had I had to be softer with them. And you know, I think most hunting dogs probably aren't that sensitive, at least the ones I've seen haven't been.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and those are probably the ones that're wired for sound too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, you know, if you if you look at the dog's personality and you know that's that's the doll that could care less. I'm just gonna do it. I don't care mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well this has been good. I think we'll have to come up with some more stuff to talk about in the future. But uh, I'm looking forward to December. I'm really hoping that that everything comes together and I can make it up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, we'll have a good time.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I think it'll be. It'll be my first time following try dogs.
Speaker 2: Hey, you'll never be the same.
Speaker 1: Well on bear on bear, I've had treeing walkers for coons growing up. Yeah, it'll be good.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll say, you know when you talk about like the benefits of cross training, and I tell people this all the time when I teach classes, like when I'm when I'm teaching a cane out of school, Like if you look around this room, somebody in here knows something you don't, and why would you know? Knowledge is power? Right, Like we always say that why would you not take information? Did somebody else knows that? You don't put it in your toolbox and use it if you need it. If you don't need it, just file it away and keep it there until you do need it. You know, That's the one thing that I've learned from the cross training is I am ten times more patient than I ever was. I don't get so excited and jacked up in sideways when the dog makes a mistake. I don't rush the dog. I know dogs go through phases. I know dogs. You know I've learned dog's behaviors. I've learned so much more about what it means to be a handler and trainer, and those two things go together. I tell my canine guys, like, when you start a school canine school with me, you're a handler, you're not a trainer. Like I'm teaching you to handle this dog, and I'm trying to teach you how to read this dog's body language and its behavior so that you can do your job by interpreting what he's telling you. If everything will just slow down in your training, in what you're doing, and give the dogs a little grace, a lot of times, you're going to come out on the better end of that deal. And I think you know the pack that I have now, that's probably why it is where it is is because I have slowed down and I don't get sideways when something don't go right, and I know that I'm looking for. I'm looking for a long term goal with dogs. I'm not looking at what this dog can do tomorrow. I'm looking for this dog at four years old to six, seven, eight, nine years old to be a dog that catches bear consistently.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of times people get short sighted on it and not look at the long long term.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, cool. Well I think that's all great. Let's call it all right man.
Speaker 2: Well, I really appreciate you having me on COVID. Thank you for listening. The Bear Hunting magazine Hunt Cast is recorded by a bear hunting magazine and produced.
Speaker 3: By Mountain Gravity Media.
Speaker 2: Be sure leave us a five star review on iTunes and keep alreadie like
Speaker 1: MHM