Speaker 1: Jesse Jackson Junior Welcome Forward to the Jesse Jackson Juniorship on KBA off fifteen eighty, It is Freezing here in Chicago on Moving Mountain Day and jan Lunch Club So Greatful Weekly series Three Mountain Mondays includes Ernest Krim the Third, an Emmy nominated producer, public teacher, anti racist educator, hate crime victor who uses black historical narratives to empower and educate through a culturally equitable lens. Mister Krim is a South Side of Chicago native and University of Urbana Champaigne graduate, former high school history educator of twelve years who now also advocates for social justice issues and teaches black history to the world through social media, a platform that reaches roughly four million people each month as of twenty twenty four. As such, he has created content for companies such as HBO, Hulu, Disney, Paramount, The History Channel. Additionally, he is the CEO of Crim's Cultural Consulting LLC. An international speaker who's spoken at Harvard University, the University of Chicago, Microsoft, Colin Kaepernick's Know Your Rights Camp, and audiences in the United Kingdom in Canada, and author of two books and passionate about progressive educational causes. I'm particularly honored that Ernest krim Is are a very special guest and regular communicator and participant on Monday morning or Monday afternoons, if you will on the T Lunch Club. Hey Ernest, welcome forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's up? My brother is good to be back here. Which has been so much going on? I know we got a lot to discuss.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know, why don't we pick up on some of the issues that you know are going on? Why don't we start there. I was looking at the news a few moments ago and found a GOP senator has now decided to buck the Trump administration. I received that text message from you earlier saying, hey, we need a deal with this. He says that Obamacare is putting America first. Earnest your thoughts.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable, because it's unbelievable because the first thing that pops up in my mind because I was reading an article this morning. This was actually a white guy right outside of Nashville, and he was talking about how he had to essentially get rid of his healthcare because the premiums went up, and he and his wife lost a job in December, so they were kind of struggling and just essentially hoping that they didn't get sick and wouldn't need it because they couldn't afford the extra seventy dollars a month. Now, I'm not sure how they voted. I don't think that's important right now to the conversation. But we do know that Tennessee, of course, is a red state. But as I was reflecting on that, I couldn't help but think about a student I once had, maybe ten eleven some outy years ago, and I talked about this in my book, and this was a white kid from a surrounding town that was very conservative. He was the minority in the school in his racial group as well as his political ideology. And this kid was sixteen years old and he absolutely hated Obama and everything he stood for. He hated Obamacare, And as a good teacher, I would often engage him in conversations to.
Speaker 3: Try to like really pinpoint you know.
Speaker 2: I knew why he felt that way, right, but I wanted him to be able to pro proof and he never he never could.
Speaker 3: He never could. So when I think about where we are now in this country.
Speaker 2: I'm reflecting on I wonder where this young man is and I him being in a you know, lower middle class environment. I'm I'm assuming he made you know this, one percent of the population probably doesn't have to deal with this as a concern. And I'm thinking he's just like every other American and they we need health care. We need something that's affordable, not say Obamacare Act, the Affordable Care Act. And I think we're at a point now where so many people are being humbled to realize that this is actually what we should have been supporting the whole time. But the actions of ten years ago, my pot and bringing this up is has led to where we are right now, at a point where now we have some GOP senators and Congressmen saying, hey, you know what, we actually do need this, and we just have to hope that it's not too late.
Speaker 1: The article in Political says this GOP senator says reviving Obamacare subsidies would be putting America first. If the Senate is going to strike a deal to revive the a signature democratic policy, it will be in part because of an unlikely broker, a freshman Republican from the party's magawing. Senator Bernie Moreno of Ohio is on paper an odd fit in the core of about a dozen senators and talks to extend Obamacare credits that lapsed on January first. Most are well known by partisan deal makers, such as Republican Susan Collins and Democrat Jean Shaheen. Moreno, on the other hand, joined the Senate a year ago, and, as President Donald Trump annointed Low two, had just defeated longtime Democratic Senator Shared Brown with hardline attacks focused mainly on immigration. But he has a key asset, a close relationship with Trump, who will need to bless or at least tacitly accept any agreement to smooth its passage through Congress. I think the political reality, brother krem Of, it's an election year. People are calling their Members of Congress's office, their senator's office offices, their premiums are exploding through the roof, and well, many of these Republican senators and congressmen are going to have to come to Jesus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we have to hope that they stay there and metaphorically stay in the church. And we have to hope that if they don't, then people don't elect them again. With him being this bold, he might not be a return and senator.
Speaker 3: He might this.
Speaker 2: Six years might be it for him. But I hope that during that time, because he switched size of p I hope, during his time of realizing he needed to need to put America first as he is now, presumably that we actually get the change that we desire. Who would have thought that a black man who made his career in Chicago, when he became the president, you know, was actually putting Americans first and not the current president, who was a white guy who people would assume based on his background and talking points.
Speaker 3: Wow, amazing.
Speaker 1: A lot of people are feeling the heat right through this election year. I might add when we come forward on KBLA Talk fifteen eighty, we're going to turn our attention to the one year anniversary of the Haitian earthquake, where more than three hundred thousand Haitian people lost their lives, and we're going to deal with a little bit of that because this is the time that the United States Agency for International Development, which Trump dismantled, would be working its way to Haiti to provide goodwill to the people of that great country. I'm Jesse Jackson Junior more on KBLA Talk fifteen to eighty with Ernest Kram, jack Jason Show Ernest Krim a very special contributor on Mondays in the Classroom with mister Ernest. M Ernest looking forward to the show.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's up brother? Thanks again for having me.
Speaker 1: Always a pleasure brother. Listen. Sixteen years ago today, Haiti suffered one of the most devastating earthquakes in the history of our hemisphere, and it killed nearly three hundred thousand people. Haiti is still recovering from that quake.
Speaker 2: Mister Krim, you know, when I hear about this, it's hard to believe it's been that long.
Speaker 3: I recall actually being in my first.
Speaker 2: Year of teaching actually on the South side of Chicago, and I found out about this, and I think a lot of the question that a lot of my students had, of course during that time was why for what not about the earthquake, but why was there so much poverty there? And I was upset that I did not learn about the historical context of why was so impoverished and why they are still fighting to this day to repair their country.
Speaker 3: Many of many folks might not know.
Speaker 2: For one, they're also celebrating their independence day this month this month, which I think is very coincidental and also too When they gained independence after defeating France to becoming an independent state, defeating a global superpower and eradicating slavery from their country, they were punished for that. They were placed in debt, not just by France, but various other European colonial powers, including America, who refused to acknowledge that they were in fact independent. They didn't want that news to get to America because they knew that it would inspire other black folks to do something similar. So we have to always remember Haiti within that historical context because Haiti and what they did there also had an impact on what we would do fifty sixty some odd years later. They impacted the entire war world of African people in the diaspora and that small island on the of course, the western hemisphere of that island. When I reflect now, I think again within that context that Haiti cannot be repaired until these colonial powers repair them, provide them with reparations the way that they are deserving, and without that we cannot properly equip them of what they need to be doing moving forward. You also have to think about what Trump is doing right now with To me, it's a blatant attack not just on the island of the people who are there currently, but the people who are here presently, ending the TPS temporary protection status of all the Haitians who are here. And again we have to remember when we talk about what Ice is doing, we talk about immigrants. I know we are a small percentage of those folks, but there are black folks in the diaspora, including not just the continent of Africa, but in Haiti, folks who have come here for a better life and who have been contributing to this economy of ours who are being targeted by this president as well. So to me, it's all connected. The way we are treating Haitians who have come here for protection is the same way that we continue to mistreat Haitians on the island right now.
Speaker 3: You know, I find it.
Speaker 1: I find your point to be brilliant. The point that movements, for example, Haitian liberation impacted other movements around the world for liberation, just as our civil rights movement. Nelson Mandela when he emerged from prison in South Africa, said that he was inspired in his twenty seven year prison ordeal to fight for democracy within South Africa and that white Africaners could exist as a minority under a constitution, just like minorities have existed under the United States constitution. But to the point that no matter how small the country is, or even how small the liberation movement is, the idea of freedom and liberation actually extends and inspires other groups within other countries around the world, and Haiti is one of those, is one of those shining examples.
Speaker 2: Yeah, movements are magnetic, and when we come across information like that, you know, that's why knowledge is so powerful. When we talk about history, we're not talking about these old books. We're talking about stories that we can connect to. So if you were to come across this information, let's say, if you were privileged enough to be able to read in the eighteen hundreds as a black person on this land mask, then you would then compare that to your situation and say, well, what can we then do? Right, there's no coincidence that we had liberation movements around New Orleans at the time, rebellions that were quailled because they were inspired by that it's no coincidence that we had in that Turner and we had David Walker's book which was banned, or even thirty somebody years after that at Harriet beecher Stow, a white woman who spoke out against slavery, whose book was banned.
Speaker 3: Because when you read that information, you began.
Speaker 2: To say, well, if they did it, then why can't we, or if they went through that, that kind of sounds very similar. And the look, these lines from history are not a straight line. We're all over the place with this, but we cannot disconnect the fact that not only did they deal with that earthquake, but they are still struggling to repair with what happened with them being placed in debt for gaining freedom. That is the most ludicrous thing when you truly think about it. That's the equivalent. And we know what our ancestors had to deal with here with the debt slavery. We we replaced in the tenant farming and sharecropping. I mean, that's bad enough, but imagine being forced to pay, as a group of people in this country after the Civil War zillions of dollars to your government. That is how they've operated.
Speaker 3: All across the world.
Speaker 2: And that's why it claims for reparations here, which are old in demand, are also important because if something like that happens here, not just in a city, not just in a town, not just in a village, not just in a state, but across the country, then that inspires other people across the country, across the world. I'm sorry the same way we were inspired by that island, and for us to truly get the justice that we deserve here, we also have to support our brothers and sisters in Haiti, because if they don't get it there, then who's to say we can never get it here.
Speaker 1: What comes to mind is the name Francois Dominique Toucssaint Looverture Toussaint Loverture was a Haitian general and the most prominent leader of the Haitian Revolution. During his life's life, Loverture was first fought and allied with Spanish forces against Saint Dominique royalists, then joined with Republican France, becoming governor general for life of Sant Dominiqui, and lastly fought against Bonaparte's Republican troops. That's right, Tucsaint Loverture defeated Napoleon Bonaparte. As a revolutionary leader, Louverture displayed military and political acumen that helped transform the fledgling slave rebellion into a revolutionary movement. We ought to make the distinction earnest between a slave rebellion and a movement that continued after the rebellion, demanding total complete liberation of a people. Along with Jean Jacques Dessaline's, Loverture is known as one of the fathers of Haiti. I also understand. My mother often shares with me that it was the Haitians who joined the American Revolution on the side of the founding fathers of our republic in the effort to fight the British. Imagine that a black free country gave truths to the United States of America in order to continue the struggle for liberation, not just in Haiti, but throughout the United States. I'm amazing that at Haiti's most desperate need in their history, the United States of America, the wealthiest named nation in the history of the world, can't find can't find the time or the resources to help Haiti during this critical time.
Speaker 2: You know, we don't even have Chicago without a Haitian man as I've heard some people pronounce gene point duceable.
Speaker 3: We don't have this to exercise my broken French a little bit.
Speaker 2: We don't have what we know as Chicago, a man who Now, this is what I'm gonna give y'all for the folks that's listening across the country in LA and everything. I want you all to understand, because I know in La their history, you know, is often overshadowed as well. If you can imagine in Chicago there was only a small bust to commemorate the man who was the first permanent resident of this what became Chicago. Of course, outside of our indigenous brothers and sisters, you know, like a very small busy you have to go by the Chicago River. If y'all come visit, you'll see that in comparison to like we have George Washington, Christopher Columbus statues and stuff like, who have nothing to do with the land mass, right. And I think what to me is pivotal about it for us to understand is they know that if a group of black people are allowed to live freely without these systemic barriers, that it could for one, it leads to us creating what we've always wanted to create things like Black Wall Street, Brownsville in Chicago and places like that, right, Harlem, New York. Right, But it also inspires others to say, we can do that same thing. So it's also to me metaphorical that they would put that foot down and keep that foot on their necks so that the world could see. And the assumption without context. Right when I was in my first year teacher and I had to give my kids context that I had not even had yet, the assumption is Black people who are impoverished around the world are that way because they simply did not work hard enough.
Speaker 3: But that's because there's something wrong with them.
Speaker 2: When I speak to kids, and I should say audiences too, when I speak to educators, I bring up this question. I say, do you believe that the gaps we see in literacy and math is the result of our children, a result of their destiny, or a result of the design of the system. If you believe that it is the result of the destiny of our kids, then you believe inherently in anti blackness. And for us as a community too, we have to reflect on that. The poverty we see in Haiti, the poverty we see in some places in Africa.
Speaker 3: Is not a result of who we are.
Speaker 2: It's a result of a system that has practiced the most unheard of violence known to man globally in the past five hundred years.
Speaker 3: You know, I find it.
Speaker 1: I find it interesting because when you look at the chronology, the role that the Haitian Revolution plays, and it's a slave rebellion and then a revolutionary period inspires the American Revolution, But the Haitian Revolution also inspires Fidel Castro and Shee Gavera, which led to the Cuban Revolution and obviously the Cuban Missile Crisis, which also led to revolutionary movements in Venezuela, in Mexico, in Panama, in other parts of South America, largely inspired by the slave rebellion and then revolutionary movements to determine self determination and determine their own fate in South America. And I nom only have a couple of minutes before I come forward, but I think it's kind of fascinating, speaking of Venezuela, that Donald Trump and the oil companies are in a dispute right now over the kind of crude that comes out of Venezuela. Now, this crude is not like the kind that we see on the Beverly Hillbillies where Jed took a shotgun and blew a hole and is trying to shoot a rabbit and some bubbling crude came out. Venezuelan crude is thicker than Murray's grease. Some of you all still use Murray's hair grease. Know exactly how thick it is, and it requires additional refinement. First of all, you got to get it out of the earth, which isn't just like bubbling crew that comes up through a drill and a pipe and then is loaded on a tanker or into a refinery and then onto a tanker. This stuff is so thick it's like asphalt. And so all the oil companies are now saying, you know what, we appreciate what you've done, mister Trump, which they shouldn't appreciate trying to steal these people's oil. It turns out to be so thick and so costly to refine that the oil companies are saying that we don't want it. How about that?
Speaker 3: I think is very symbolic.
Speaker 2: They're profound because I think it it begs the question, all of that for what? And I think that's that's the question we have to ask about this whole thing. You did all of this for what you're gonna suffer too.
Speaker 1: You know, the same government that Maduro, that they took Maduro from, is still running the country of Venezuela. Ideologically, it's the same party, it's the same underlings of Maduro still running the country. Because they have a revolutionary spirit that is against being occupied or colonialized by any foreign power. And they got that from the Haitians and the Jamaicans and the Cubans and others who insisted upon the liberation and freedom of their people. They got that spirit in the latter half of the twentieth century from the freedom movement here in the United States, just as Mandela got the same freedom movement and spirit from the United States during his twenty seven year period of incarceration.
Speaker 2: For the crim movements are magnetic, and that entire Latin American hemisphere is still bubbling, you know, like they our people. Oppressed people cannot be stopped for long, you know, you can. You cannot remove somebody and think that that is not going to impact the way they.
Speaker 3: View your country. It's an attempt to show strength, but it's really an obvious display of weakness.
Speaker 1: I'm Jesse Jackson Junior. Listening to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show on KBLA Talk fifteen eighty. You're listening to the Jay Lunch Club Moving Mountain. Monday's our first hour, mister Crim's classroom more. Will we come forward? On KBLA Talk fifteen to eighty. I'm Jesse Jackson Jr. Welcome forward to the classroom with Ernest krim On, Moving Mountain, Mondays and the Jay Lunch Club. Ernest to welcome forward to mister Crim's classroom.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's up, brother? Thanks again for having me.
Speaker 1: Her name Ernest is Lisa Dannelle Cook born in nineteen sixty four an American economist who was sworn in as a member of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors in twenty twenty two. She is the first black woman to sit on the board. Before her appointment to the Federal Reserve Board, she was elected in January of twenty twenty two to the Board of Directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. Donald Trump has done everything in his power to get rid of her, but the breaking news in the country is that because he cannot control Fed Reserve Board Chairman Jerome Powell. The President and the Department of Justice has now authorized. I believe there is a sitting grand jury to look into the construction of the Federal Reserve building, and their target is now the Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell. I'm convinced that America will never be the same again. All of the cultural norms, all of the legal norms have been broken. Ernest the consequences of the President of the United States being able to dictate interest rates with world for the United States and world financial systems is nothing short of extraordinary.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that what first thing we should extract from this is, for one, you have to understand that coming from any of our circumstances, whether we are black Americans historically of folks who have come in from a different country, we have had to overcome insurmountable eyes and get to that point. So she is exceptional, but she would be shown as if she was simply a dei higher, which we know that is incorrect and fallacious. The second thing I give from that too is we have to remember and understand that those who operate under this mindset and belief of white supremacy. We know that is an ideology of belief, is not something you're born with. They would be willing to sacrifice, and we were saying in real time, so this shouldn't be a surprise, but I want us to really see this and understand what's happening is they would be willing to sacrifice the country, the republic, so that we could not have all We couldn't all have equitable access to the things that we need and desire and should have in this country. The Federal Reserve controls our interest rates, They can influence inflation, right, we're talking they can just shape our employment conditions. We're talking about an impact on housing, student loans, small businesses, credit cards, make credit cards right, how we acquire wealth as a whole. As long as he's good, which again that's really a misnomer that in the long run he won't be, But as long as he appears to be good financially, he could care less about the rest of us.
Speaker 3: And again, now that we're talking about going back to what we first discussed with some of the GOP coming on board and saying, yo, we need to actually keep this healthcare, we have to all be wondering is it too little, too late, Because the vast majority of people who will be impacted numerically will be white folks, and we know a majority of them voted for this right here.
Speaker 2: We know he shouldn't be allowed to do that, but he doesn't care. He's gonna find he acts first and validates it later, and he's gonna find someone in a position of power that's completely fine with it, unfortunately, most often in Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: I find it fascinating also in terms of breaking the historical norms that just last week before the government issued an official labor report that of course impacts the stock market, consumer confidence, how people feel about the economy, he tweeted the numbers on his personal account before the government released the numbers, which of course on fat Met Friday's Gina Towns suggested this is some kind of insider trading scheme and Bishop Toulton, who has an MBA from Vassar College. Bishop Tulton was really clear, follow the money. Look at the members of Congress, members of the Senate, and members of the administration who made trades either before or after the President's announcements before the official statistics were released by the government. Ernest your thoughts on having powerful and important friends in high places.
Speaker 3: It amazes me.
Speaker 2: You know, somebody while we were going break, I was watching a video on TikTok and somebody said this educated was like, you know, how disturbing it is that the new cycle has mostly moved on to what happened to Maduro. And it's not like there isn't a justifiable reason why, because there's just so much happening. But like, you know, twenty thirty years ago, we would have sat with something for an entire I say that to say it is unbelievable the amount and the degree to which they keep us on this hamster whel with so much information and it does all matter. But by the time you pay attention to something like this, they're on to the next thing. And having that access to power makes it that much more pivotal to us. And when I see these tweets or whatever it is, I think it's on a true social app or whatever.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: What also is disturbing to me is the fact that I understand and know, especially if you know how like politicians operating stuff, they don't most often even manage their social media accounts.
Speaker 3: This stuff goes through filters.
Speaker 2: There are people who, like he might say, he wants to post it, it's not a good idea if the team still doesn't, or sometimes, which is even more alarming, it's probably their idea too, to go along with something like this case. It really is an inside job. They're all colluding to aggregate what they presume to be powered. Well again, just you know, I'm reminded oftentimes when I see things like, you know, the climate issues in la or how in Chicago on a random January sixty degrees, Like the climate don't lie like that.
Speaker 3: Type of stuff.
Speaker 2: That's my metaphor for like, this stuff is gonna impact us off and it's.
Speaker 3: Only so much you can do to avoid it.
Speaker 1: While the news cycle has moved on from the capture of Maduro, it has not moved on in Chicago from the Bears versus the Packers. Rightfully, so this is gonna be a long cycle. My brother, turn your thoughts another. We have just about one minute two minutes before we come forward. Are you shifting? Are you sensing any shifting in terms of voter enthusiasm for the mid term elections?
Speaker 2: I am, I'm sensing the ship. But here's again what worries me just Like I said about the news cycle, it could last for a day, it could last for a couple months.
Speaker 3: Right, we need to in some ways, we need to keep.
Speaker 2: Track of all of the stories that are triggering Americans to come to their senses. Right, And not because we want to trigger people, but because we know, Okay, this is what has resonated with folks, that has already been impacting us, but now on a high degree, and we need to say, once it's election season, we have to go revisit them. They're As an educator, what I hate too is understanding that because I would often be preparing for final exams, I gotta go back The final exam is December. I might have to go back to October. Kids forgot it, but that's still important to what you understand in December. So by the time it's election season October November, we gotta go back to what's happening right now and say, don't forget this happened. Don't forget this happened. We got to I don't want to keep talking to people in Democrat, Republican, liberal, conservative. I know we do that naturally, but we're talking Look, humanity, people, everybody, this is what's happening to you in this moment. He don't discriminate against who he discriminates against and poor wife. Folks, y'all are feeling it more than anybody because of your numbers. Will you wake up?
Speaker 1: Finally, we have not much time before we come forward, but I do want to comment on this and I find it interesting. Maybe we'll talk about it in the next segment. That Bill Gates has now said that he has set a time limit on when the United States and the world will enter into a new dark age. The definition of what Bill Gates means by a dark age could certainly take us back to the dark ages on the prehistory before the United States, very very difficult times and periods for the idea of civilization. But I think it's it's a cautionary tale. More when we come forward on KBLA Talk fifteen to eighty, my very special guest and regular contributor, mister Ernest Krim Mister Crim's Classroom on Wealthy Wednesdays on the Jesse Jackson Junior Show. You're listening to the j Lunch Club. More on KBLA Talk fifteen to eighty. When we come forward, Jackson Junior, Welcome forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show and the j Lunch Club. Ernest Crim's Classroom on Moving Mountain Mondays, Ernest, welcome forward to the show.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's up brother, Good to be back with you.
Speaker 1: Hey. As much as I want to pick up on what we ended on in the last segment, I do want to raise this question because you're such a brilliant historian. As you know, we did earn some civil rights protections coming out of slavery in first reconstruction. The first civil Rights Acts of the United States were offered during a number of those legislative sessions and produced some minimal progress for the freedmen. And then from Rown versus the Board of Education to the present, we've issued an offer many many civil rights acts, the nineteen sixty four Civil Rights Act being chief amongst them. But the Americans with Disabilities Act is a civil rights act. Protections for the LGBTQ community are civil rights act. Extending protections for women is a form of civil rights.
Speaker 3: Roe v.
Speaker 1: Wade is an extension of the idea of civil rights women having the right to make decisions about their own bodies. So the forms and the ways in which civil rights have presented themselves have presented themselves not just for blacks who had denied access to buses, lunch counters, water fountains, and classrooms, but civil rights has really transformed the idea of democracy itself. Here's what Donald Trump says recently. Trump says, civil rights led to white people being treated very badly. Ernest help us with this.
Speaker 3: I need like a five second buffer.
Speaker 2: But it's not funny, because it's really it impacts us, right, because at one point in time this was just commentary from a rich guy from New York, right, But now it has political, socio economic consequences. I just it's what hurts me again as a former classroom teacher, is he speaks at a level that is so easily digestible that if you are emotional, you connect with it without any critical thinking. Because if you are a white person who has never been exposed to the black community, you went to your like little segregated school in the middle of Kentucky somewhere, or maybe in West Virginian Appalachian area, and you think that we're the problem, and you hear that, you're.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, that's it's not fair because.
Speaker 2: We'll no, no, And I know I'm not saying white folks have a dealt with poverty. We know the class issues in this country, But what he's alluded to with that is white people deserve to have racial privileges. And when I say privileges, I mean economic benefits as a result of violence, systemic violence, physical violence, psychological violence. These are I don't even know if we can call them dog whistles anymore, man, don't. I don't know what these are. Like. I mean, it's it's a it's a it's a I mean, this is over the intercom for everybody to hear. It's no longer dog dog whistle. It's a referee whistle. And if you don't again, So I said this recently when I was talking to a group of kids. After revolts happened, particularly in seventeen thirty nine with the Stone and Rebellion, they would ban a variety of things. Black folks couldn't meet in person together without permission. And you know, but I also wanted to pinpoint the fact that they also they would ban fire arms. Yeah, but they would also again ban knowledge, right, and think about that being on the same level.
Speaker 3: To most people, they would assume, oh, well, no, that weapon is more valuable, But why would they repeatedly in every generation, not just back then, not just seventeen thirty nine, but twenty twenty six, still seek to ban that same thing, not just for us black folks, but for everybody else. So you don't have historical context to call out that foolishness. The fact that white folks have had.
Speaker 2: All of these social benefits forever, court forever is the reason why a mediocre white guy like him could become the leader of this country and put us in a dangerous position like this.
Speaker 1: You're preaching, no, brother, Hey, let me throw this out at you. There has been no history since the inception of the United States that white men or white people have been discriminated against. There is no history that their civil rights have ever been violent. They's just no history of that. And I find it particularly puzzling that the President of the United States is now and the Department of Justice is willing to bring lawsuits civil lawsuits for white men who can claim that they've been discriminated against by these laws. And that, my friends, really really does turn the idea of the American experiment on its head.
Speaker 3: Ernest, before we.
Speaker 1: Get to your word of hope, share with our listeners a little bit about your books and share with us how we can stay in touch with you on your various various social media handles.
Speaker 2: Definitely so. My most recent book is How Black History Can Save Your Life. It is essentially the second edition of Black History Saved My Life. It's going to give you practical tools, so how to use our history in a proactive way. Told from a first person narrative of how I discovered who I was after dealing with the hate crime and various other issues of racism from the time I was in first grade to the present day. The book was re released last year, and I can promise you with everything we're dealing with now, if it's not explicitly connected to what we're talking about now, there are some indirect connections because these things happen in cycles. And in the effort to be able to give these lessons to our children, I wrote a book called The Abcason Affirming Black Children. You'll find out one of the most prominent parts of the first part of my book is the way I was affirmed. We have to affirm black children, especially with the sense of somebody this and worthiness, so that they can realize they are the solution to the problems we face in this world today.
Speaker 3: You all can.
Speaker 2: Follow me on all social medias with a slight caveat for the time being. Unfortunately, have to say that my Meta pages were banned and disabled as of yesterday and I'm trying to resolved right now. Somebody hacked my account and Meta thinks I'm the one posting a lot of craziness on my platforms and it's not mean. So if anybody's listening and they know somebody had met and please hit me up until that gets restored. I am on LinkedIn, I'm on TikTok, I'm on substack. Please subscribe to my newsletter. Put in my name Ernest Kram the third you'll find me there.
Speaker 1: I'm still here, Ernest, about a minute and forty five seconds forward of Hope.
Speaker 2: I think the thing I'll take away from our conversation today is movements are magnetic, so we have to continue to study, especially with Doctor King's holiday coming up every year. When we get around this day, I like to reread a lot of his works and his speeches, and I'm always inspired, but I'm also perturbed because I feel like the more the years pass by and I read the more I realize how much we have not realized, not just his dream.
Speaker 3: But just the practicality of it all.
Speaker 2: Read, Read, read, and find a way to apply it, because movements and books and those thoughts are magnetic.
Speaker 1: I've been listening to and reading over and over and over again Martin Luther King Junior's speech on April fourth, I think it was April fourth, nineteen sixty seven, from the Riverside Church. Those of you who can hear my voice, it's called be Beyond Vietnam. Beyond Vietnam. Later this week I will share with you the subject matter that I will be addressing at a number of events for Martin Luther King Junior's birthday, and I look forward to sharing it right here on KBLA as soon as my thoughts are completed and prepared. I'm Jesse Jackson Junior listening to Jesse Jackson Junior show Ernest, thanks for being on the program today.
Speaker 3: Thanks again for having me, brother. Look forward to next week coming up next.
Speaker 1: Reverend Doctor Terry hord Owens the President and General Minister of the United Disciples of Christ Church. She is our regular contributor. She is the General Minister and President of a multi racial denomination, a rarity in the United States. She's our very special regular contributor on Moving Mountain. Mondays more when we Come Forward on KBLA Talk fifteen eighty