Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: John at Is six o five here a Kentucky had this morning news on news Radio eight forty whas Happy Monday. Let's get another week started here. Hopefully you guys had yourselves a good weekend. I know if you're a Louisville Cardinal fan, the weekend was good for you, because it was it wasn't It didn't come easy. I mean, I felt like they had a pretty good chance meeting Louisville day McDonald and his team to get the second victory on Saturday, but obviously Miami they responded in a really close Game three, and now they have punched their ticket to omahall the sixth appearance in nineteen years, which really speaks to what Daan McDonald's been able to do. Scott has touched on that this morning, and I'm sure we'll continue to talk about it throughout. But a big I mean baseball here when it comes well postseason baseball in the Louisville area, mostly just when Louisville has hosted in STUB eight postseason games, there's just a different kind of atmosphere, different kind of vibe. I'm looking here on the screen right here behind me, our partners over WKY. They're showing some coverage of it, and I mean people can bring up the average attendance, which is not great for get games that take place in the regular season, but when they're in that spot, that moment, fans show up in a big way. And I think objectively speaking, you can just tell by watching on television, even if you're not a Louisville native or a Louisville fan, that there's a real home field advantage there, which it's just nice. This is probably gonna sound corny to some, but you can tell the players really feeding off of that because the writer, you know, for reasons that we don't need to get into right now, they're not used to having a crowd that big and that juiced. And when there was the Eddie chance for Eddie King Junior, who had himself a heck of a weekend, like, you can tell they're energized by that, and it certainly paid off. I don't know if the fans deserve as much credit as I'm giving them, but certainly a great atmosphere out there at the Jam Patterson Stadium.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's what I love about baseball, college baseball, because when my son's home, we do go to a lot of the games, and to your point, you can pretty much sit when you go to the non conference games, even when you go to the paid games, you can sit where you want. And we sometimes we've gone from sitting down in the field and sitting up so we can see everything. But when you get in college baseball, is the players chanting. I mean, the players are active in this you hear you know, yak can come from both dugouts, okay, And that transcends into fans. And what we've seen through this College World Series and through the regionals is places like Ole Miss where it's like a football game and you start getting but you're starting to see that expand now into other schools. And you know, back in the day when you have l Ues to play africat the name of the field they played at it was their old field before Paterson. Yeah, you know, I'm sure there were no fans there either. But now that you've built this legacy, and then of course you look to what Kentucky's doing. They build up Kentucky Proud Park, they get crowds out there. And now Murray State and for some degree we talked about a couple of years ago, the show, Morehead State to a nice little baseball going. And then lest we forget about this school right around the corner, Spalding, who Nick, I know you.
Speaker 1: Have, Yeah, my cousin, Yeah, my second cousin plays for Spaulding Baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so I mean Spaulding's got it going on, both with the softball and the baseball.
Speaker 3: So I talked a little about a little bit about.
Speaker 2: This on Kentucky focused last week on how this area you can go all the way back to hey, we reached. You can go all the way back to Louisville black Caps if you want, and take it even further.
Speaker 3: But of course, the home of the Louisville.
Speaker 2: Slugger, the bat, the bat factory. I mean, baseball is a big deal here. Sure, it just doesn't get talked about a lot, understandably so because basketball runs the show here.
Speaker 3: Basketball horses. I get that, no doubt, and I can't expect that.
Speaker 1: It is nice to see that when there are big moments, big opportunities. It seems like the fans and really the city of Louisville look pretty good along the way, not just not just with what happened over the weekend. Jim Patterson stadium. But when Mayor Greenberg was in last week, he highlighted something that I didn't forget about. I just wasn't on my mind. But when the Louisville volleyball program exploded, where they've now become a perennial power in the sport, and you've got you had a chance to host here in Louisville some of the NCAA post season volleyball, and I mean the atmosphere looks amazing, I mean see, and it's I don't know how much you truly get from it as far as value in recognition. That's tough for me to know exactly what the real benefit is, but it certainly can't hurts you. Whenever you've got a chance to have a postseason event like postseason baseball, postseason volleyball in the atmosphere looks like it has looked in most instances, that can go a long way. I mean, you're right when it comes to what really gets the most attention around here, it's going to be college basketball, horse racing with the Derby and whatnot. But I kind of feel like it ties in. We've always been known as kind of a big event city. If there's a big event. It'll be a big deal. There'll be a big lot of people there. Even if you don't follow the sport throughout the entire season, when you get to the postseason, you know it's a big event. It's winter go home, and Louisville really shows up and shows out. So I certainly saw that over the weekend of Jim Patterson Stateium. We'll have more on sports with Scott coming up a little bit later on. In fact, in about fifteen minutes time, we've got your first update here in the six o'clock hour of traffic and weather on news radioaight forty whas. It is six sixteen here at Kentucky and it's morning news on news RADIOA forty whas some news from the over the weekend. Former Louisville basketball star I think it's I think it's fair to call Russ a Louisville legend, considering that he's got his jersey retired. But Russ Smith was arrested for dui and here are the details as far as what we know about this arrest. He was pulled over after he made an illegal U turn near the intersection of baxterra Avenue and Hyland Avenue. This was just after midnight, according to LMPD, and after he was pulled over, he did admit to drinking alcohol. He claims he had two bourbon pores neat before driving, and the arrest report indicates that he failed a walk in turn test and swayed once he was asked to step out of the car. So the field sobriety tests that he went through subjective of course with the officer. The officer did not pass him, but then they did a breathalyzer test and his blood alcohol content was zero point and zero seven to three. The legal limit is zero point zero eight, So he cooperated fully, gave two different samples and was below the legal limits. So a lot of folks saying, well, how can you be arrested and charged with DUI when you're below the legal limits? So technically the Kentucky law allows d u I arrest based on officer discretion if impairment is suspected, even if your blood if your BAC is below the legal limit of zero point zero eight. So the the officer, it's just his, it's his call up to that point. As far as does he believe that despite being below the legal limit, is he is he is he safe to drive. Now again, there are some questions that are legitimate questions as far as could he have given him I mean, could he had somebody come and to pick him up, because technically, although failing the field sobriety tests, he did not actually blow above or at the legal limit. And that's the question that I don't have the answer to. But one thing to to to point out here is the connections with the whole Scottie Scheffler thing, which I think it's gonna be a long time before Louisville LMPD sort of. They don't come to mind when it comes to just that Scotty Scheffler in general. I talked about this last week. The more successful that Scotty Scheffler is and the more likable he appears. You know, you might ask man, who wouldn't love this guy? Oh yeah, LMPD because they arrested him, and the details that came out since then didn't exactly make I don't think, in my opinion, it didn't make LMPD look very good. But nonetheless, there's already been some misinformation I think, being shared about the arresting officer with Russ Smith. There are connections to the Scotti Schefler situation. But for those that believe that the officer who claimed that Scotty Schffler ran him over as the same person who pulled Russ Smith over, not the case. So it is Kyle Willis who is the arresting officer, and his connection to the Scottie Schffler thing was that he is the one who had leaked body caimput it, she's a Basically, it sounds like he's the one who transported Scottie Scheffler to jail. He's not the one who was on site whenever the situation occurred that led to Scottie Schefler being put in the back of a cop car. But there was a leak of cell phone footage maybe it was from Yes, Yes, So LMPD later determined that the body camera footage that originally came from it, it came from Kyle Willis, and he is the officer who read Scheffler his miranda rights initially, and that went on to get investigated, and this officer Willis was reprimanded by l MPD because of the video being leaked and it ended up, you know, of.
Speaker 3: Course, going viral.
Speaker 1: And so again, if you're somebody who just thinks the same officer that mentioned Scotty Scheffler trying to run him over made a big deal about his pants being ripped, that is not the same person who pulled over Russ Smith. So another connection here is the attorney who represented Scotti Schffler, high profile attorney Steve Romines. I mean, he seemed very interesting, seemed very open to teeing off on LMPD throughout that entire situation. Not sure if we're going to see the same thing here with the Russ Smith lawsuit. But Russ has hired Steve Romines, who claims that evidence, witnesses and surveillance footage will prove Smith's innocent's asserting quote he did nothing wrong, So we'll see how this plays out again. I think the big talking point here is that he was pulled over, arrested for DUI taking to jail despite blowing below the legal limit. But to be clear, in that situation, it is it's the officer's discretion and that's what he decided to do. All right, We've got another updated trafficking weather coming your way right here on news radio eight forty whas thank you, John at Is six thirty five. Here a Kentucky This Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you, Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden, and John Shannon, who you just heard alongside as we get the week started. Hopefully you guys had yourselves a good weekend. One of the stories that John has mentioned this morning is the crackdown on shoplifting and the mini arrest that took place over the last week with LMPD. I think eighty three arrested, nearly actually eighty one hundred dollars worth of stolen merchandise recovered. And I've been in stores where I've seen lost prevention have somebody stopped and police are on the way. I've also seen a lot of TikTok videos that show like bodycam footage of somebody getting caught stealing, and that has led to me meeting the TikTok videos. I kind of sometimes fall in a rabbit hole. I'm like, man, I want to see how this ends, because there'll be like five parts within TikTok that show the loss prevention officer sharing details and evidence with actual law enforcement. And I mean, I'm not a thief, so I can't relate. But when I go to stores like this, I'm never thinking about who's near me who may be stealing, and not that anybody should do that, because you just never know. But it goes on a lot more than I think people realize as far as just things, that the amount of items to get stolen from these types of stores on a daily basis, and hence the reason why they're trying to really really crack down on it. And sometimes you'll see someone gets you know, you'll see somebody stopped, or you'll see somebody with one item and you think, okay, well, I guess they tried to get greedy. I mean there are people who will will actually purchase stuff and then have maybe eight to ten items that they fake scanned on the on the self checkout. And I'm sure you get away with it enough to where you think you can. You can always do it and get away with it, and eventually you get caught. But then there are some there are somewhere they'll end up chasing somebody out of the store, law enforcement will get them, and in their vehicle, I mean, their entire vehicle is just nothing. I mean, that's just what they do. I guess they just drive around to different stores and they've got a plan and you know, I'm sure it's it's working well for them, and you know, until they get caught.
Speaker 2: Well, and there's you know, there's more amongst the big major retailers. There's a new initiative by them, and sort of their mentality is they tell their employees don't chase them outside the store. So when you see these videos, I watch the same one as you do. And when you see folks, you're like, why are you standing there just letting them leave? They tell their employees that because their employees their safety what they're pointing first, and they're you know, insurance will cover the cost of for these big box stores, they can absorb that cost. But they tell the employees to let them go and sit down and fight with them, just let them go. And it is I know some folks that work and lost prevention and it's amazing the stories they come back with where they tell you how the lengths people will go to to not only steal stuff, but to think they can steal it.
Speaker 1: What blows my mind is the already being caught, Yeah, the jig is up right, yet they'll still be adamant that this.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I mean, and again they're good liars because I'm so convinced at times well I don't believe them, but man, they don't. They seem convincing. But clearly the evidence is here that you know you were you were stealing something. Yeah, lost prevention, man, that would be a thankless gig. It's clearly an important one and it's very needed. But you you're there to make sure as best you can, as far as what you're able to do, that merchandise does not get stolen, and you keep your eye on the store to make sure you know that stuff doesn't happen. But once you get down to it, you are limited at times and what you can and should do.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you've got to keep and you've got to be cut out for that gig to be able to do it, and you've got to be able to mindset. It's one that I think has a lot of job security, especially when times get tough, they probably see more of it.
Speaker 3: But it is it's a double a story.
Speaker 2: It's refreshing to see stories tell their folks, hey, look, don't chase them out the door. But if there's so much stuff going on that it increases my price because they have to cover the cost. And I know a lot of people that shop local. I'm a big shop local guy. I swear by that. But also at the same time, you know, the bigger box stores can absorb stuff like this and still carry.
Speaker 3: On the prices for us.
Speaker 2: But the lengths people will go to it, and it's not just material stuff. If you've ever seen people try to steal stuff out of the grocery store, which again, I've got a soft spot for folks with homelessness and hunger, and if somebody's going to those lengths to steal food, that means they're pretty hungry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there are also some great stories that come from from I think having body cams on law enforcement is beneficial in a variety of ways. But it also lets you see good things that maybe you wouldn't believe because you just have your own built up perception of law enforcement. But there was a there was a woman who was stealing food from a dollar General just to try to you know, just to try to feed her family. And she was sighted and the officer paid for out of her own pocket. The officer paid for what the cost would have been for what she was stealing. So she could, you know, she could feed her family and just basically say, you know, there's other ways to get help, there's other ways to get assistance. I'm gonna have to do my job, but I'm also going to help you here, and you know that's that's so we need more stories like that out there, because I'm sure it happens more than people realize.
Speaker 3: Yep. So all right, we've got another.
Speaker 1: Update of trafficking weather coming your way right here on news Radio A forty whas. It is six forty six here at Kentucky and it's morning news on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you. Scott Fitzgerald is like me. He enjoys the platform that is TikTok. A lot of people think TikTok's just this app where people dance and and you can find that there. You can find a lot of things on TikTok. So you know, I think if you, you know, if you really gave it a shot, and if you don't want to use that app and you just don't want to do social media, good for you, because you probably spend your time much more. You use your time more wisely than I do. I'm sure but it's also you know, it's a valuable thing for a lot of folks. And the reason I'm bringing this up is because Trump is going to extend the TikTok reprieve again because there's been a deadline that gets set to where it needs to be sold, meaning TikTok, and it hasn't sold because you know, finding a buyer for certain things is pretty difficult to do. I would say, finding somebody who would be in the market to purchase maybe the biggest and most popular social media app. Currently aren't many people with the budget that could afford to purchase that. So this I think will continue to be kicked down the road until something something changes, because I just don't see a scenario where they're going to get rid of it. The opportunity to do so was there and then it was gone for maybe forty eight hours, not even that long actually, and it came right back.
Speaker 2: And with so many people using it. Like you said, you and I both go down that rabbit hole numerous times. I know John's used it before, and you know, the advertising potential is there for a lot of folks and influencers, let's be honest, influencers rely on that I'm starting to know as more retailers are relying on that, which is cool, and they're finding innovative ways to come up with it. But I like the point you made, and that is, you know, TikTok may not be for you. You may be a Facebook person, whereas I couldn't stand Facebook, and I was so glad once I finally put that down. You mentioned earlier last week that Twitter is a great resource for you for information, and I was as I was scrolling through Twitter this weekend, I found myself saying the same thing. Sure that it's great for getting information and it's wonderful, but as far as interaction with folks, it's just not.
Speaker 1: Engagement is not is not what I would recommend when it comes to that platform. But again for info, and you choose who you follow, so you see, you know, you get a chance to just specifically see what you're looking for. Now you can also go to the four You, which it's their version of trying to give you an algorithm that they believe they know what you want to intern, they know what you want to see, and sometimes they swing and miss, and sometimes it's fairly fairly accurate. But Donald Trump signed an executive order extending the deadline for Bite Dance, which that's actually the Chinese parent company that owns TikTok Byte Dance. So it's been extended seventy five days, another seventy five days, so it looks like April twenty six was the was the last deadline, which of course has been has been extended, and now it'll look yeah, it's they're.
Speaker 3: Going to continue, like the debt ceiling. Now it's like right right, it's right down.
Speaker 2: Well, did you see the reaction from folks when the first deadline showed. I mean just oh yeah, the TikTok videos people were putting out prior to that, I mean they were staunchly, like serious, like you're not doing this.
Speaker 1: I felt I felt bad about myself because I realized that, you know, my life will be okay, I'm not really going to be impacted by it, but it made me realize that I would truly miss it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I think one of the big misconceptions about why taking this away could impact folks more than you realize is that you know, and social media, in most instances, you need millions upon millions of followers to genuinely be able to monetize that at a high level. But what makes TikTok interesting is, let me give an example. I have somebody I know who's a videographer and they have, you know, fifteen hundred followers, nothing crazy, but they share gear that they use. And if they put their link in their TikTok video for an item that they are reviewing and somebody purchases it, depending upon what it costs, they make you know, they make some money. Now depending on what it costs, it could be a decent amount of money or whatnot. But that's the way to work. I mean, that's I don't know if that's probably not many people's soul income. But like the misconception that the only people actually making money off TikTok or those that have millions of followers, that's not the case because there's different ways you can use it. So I'm pro TikTok, but I think there's some real reason as to why there was some concerns about the you know, the information that was obtained by those who were on TikTok. But keep it around. I'm entertained by it, and I think they're going to continue to keep it here. And something shakes because I can't imagine them just taking it away, given that so many people use it and rely on it all right, Another update of trafficking weather coming up. Also another update of sports with Scott Fitzgerald right here on news Radio eight forty whas