Speaker 1: You are most like Jesus when you're focusing on the hurts of somebody else rather than your own. You are most like Jesus when you're focusing on the hurts of somebody else, your child, your wife, your dad, your.
Speaker 2: Client.
Speaker 1: When you're focusing on somebody else's hurts and you steady of your own, that's when you're like Jesus. When Jesus is on the cross, dying for the sins of all mankind, he's not focusing on his pain.
Speaker 2: He's saying, Father, forgive them. They don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: He's still focusing on us, even in the middle of his pain. So he says, focus scopos, try to see their perspective before you go mouthing off on your hurt, your need, those are legitimate, but go ahead and first try to focus on their perspective.
Speaker 2: Now, let's just take an example, the people that you work with.
Speaker 1: And you have some people who work with, and you think that one person, they are so irritating to me. I just they every time I get around them, my blood starts to boil. I just don't even like being around them. And the reason why is you don't scope posts. You don't see their circumstance. You don't see their temperament, and you don't see their background. The people that you work with, the more you understand them, the more patient you're going to be. The less you understand the people you work with, the more impatient you're gonna be. Why because it is human nature when you're working with people that you tend we tend to judge how.
Speaker 2: Far people have to go.
Speaker 1: We look at it and go, man, they got a long way to go before they start being mature. Instead of looking at how far they've come. When you look at how far they've come, then you start cutting them some slack. And if you scope posts, you actually take the time to get to know that jerk and find out their temperament, their background, and the things that they're going through their pressures, you'd cut them some slack. You go, man, If I had a father like that, I'd probably be irritating too. If I had gone through all the difficulty they went through, if I had experienced that kind of prejudice, if I had experienced that kind of bigotry, if I had understood the hurt, if I had that hurt in my life, I probably wouldn't be as far along as they are. Stop looking at how far people have to go, and start looking at how far people have come, and then you're listening for their hurt and their perspective.
Speaker 2: Now there are two areas.
Speaker 1: The Bible says that you are commanded by God to be patient with, to be understanding with, and to be considerate of when you're dealing with anybody else. It's in Romans chapter fifteen, verse two. We must be considerate of the doubts and fears of others.
Speaker 2: Circle doubts and fears.
Speaker 1: Let's please the other fellow, not ourselves, and do what is for his good and thus build him up in the Lord. Anytime somebody does something that you go that doesn't make sense, why in the world are they doing that?
Speaker 2: It's almost always a fear.
Speaker 1: And if you just look at their behavior, you're going to be quite judgmental. But if you look at their fear and you find it out, you're going to be a whole lot more understanding. We are to be considerate of the doubts and fears of others.
Speaker 2: That'll make you more patient. Here's the problem.
Speaker 1: My fears are perfectly rational and entirely normal. Your fears are stupid, they're irrational, they don't make sense.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's the way we feel my fears.
Speaker 1: There's a legitimate reason why I'm afraid of this, and you ought to be afraid too.
Speaker 2: You, on the other hand, your fears nah, and they just you just pooh pull them away. Husbands, do you pooh pooh the fears of your wife? Honey?
Speaker 1: You shouldn't fear that way. That's very helpful, thank you. Listen, all fears are irrational. All fears fears f e A R false evidence, appearing real and minor, as irrational as yours are. We just have different ways of rationalizing them. You know what rationalize means, rational lies. We tell ourselves rational lies. He minds are natural, yours are unnatural. Minor normal yours are unnormal, minor.
Speaker 2: Legitimate, yours are illegit.
Speaker 1: No, we must be considerate of the doubts and fears of each other.
Speaker 2: And when you do that.
Speaker 1: The conflict is to go down in your marriage, and the conflict's going to go down with your kids, and the conflict's going to go down with the people you work with and your customers and your clients. Okay, number five, the fifth step, after I've I've admitted my faults, and I've listened for your hurts and perspective. Now I speak the truth tactfully. Speak the truth tactfully. The truth sets you free. But you've got to say it with love. You've got to say it with kindness. You've got to say it with tact People say, well, I just tell it like it is. That's called being rude. Don't be proud of that. Don't ever be proud. Well, I just tell it like it. It means you're a jerk. It means you don't really care about other people. You just want to get it off your chest.
Speaker 2: Speak the truth.
Speaker 1: The Bible says this, look up here on the screen Phesians four fifteen. Speak the truth what in love? The truth is not enough. It's not just what you say, it's how you say it. And if you say it offensively, it will be received defensively. You must always speak truth to your children in love.
Speaker 2: Parents.
Speaker 1: The moment you start yelling at your kids, they're not listening to a word you say. All they're hearing is the emotion, and they will remember the emotion and will not remember the words. It doesn't work. You are never persuasive when you are abrasive. Now, the Bible says in Proverbs twelve, verse eighteen, reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Now, what's you say in there in a conflict? Foolish words hurt and wise words heal. And it's your choice. You never get your point across by being cross. It's all in the way you say it. Yesterday I was abducted by a group of young men in our church who took me to San Diego to Comic Con, and it was a blast. I wanted to go as Batman, but Kay wouldn't let me. And everybody there were one hundred thousand people at Comic Con, and I mean everybody's there. I mean all of the superheroes are there, and all the great TV shows and all the science fiction and all the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Star Wars and Star Trek, and one hundred thousand people are at this place, and about ten percent of them were dressed up, and it was just a lot of fun. But as one hundred thousand people are going into the convention center in San Diego, there are two guys, obviously Christians, standing there with giant yellow signs with frowns on their faces, clearly not enjoying it, not saying a word to anybody, just standing there looking angry. And they were what I call turn or burn, you'll die and fry while we go to the sky signs.
Speaker 2: Okay, one of them said repent.
Speaker 1: It was something like repent or go to hell, you know, something like that. And the other one said, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you'll be saved. Now, the fact is both of those are true, but they were not speaking the truth in love. It's true I do need to repent, and it is true I do need to accept what Jesus Christ did for me on the cross. I guarantee you nobody got saved yesterday from those signs, not one single person. Why because they were speaking the truth, but they were not speaking the truth in love.
Speaker 2: Does this make sense?
Speaker 1: It's not just what you said, it's how you say it. Sometimes you watch these preachers on TV, and you know they got an anger management issue, and they're not They're out of whack with their wife at home, and then they're angry at their wife and then they're coming.
Speaker 2: To church every weekend and spiritually.
Speaker 1: Vomiting on everybody else by, and they feel really good, But everybody else goes home feel a little sticky.
Speaker 2: You know, I just gotta ugh.
Speaker 1: I mean, you take the truth of God's word, but you wrap it in love. For instance, the Bible says in Romans three twenty three, all of sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Now, I could teach that truth to you two different ways, all of us. I could shout it to you in anger. I could say it like this, all of sin and all have come short of the glory of God, and you'd go home.
Speaker 2: Go Rick yelled at me. I don't like that, okay.
Speaker 1: Is that the way Jesus would quote Romans three twenty three, shouting like you was happy.
Speaker 2: Like we're all going to hell in a handbag? It's true?
Speaker 1: Or I don't think so. I think Jesus would say it like this kind of matter of factly. I think he said with a broken heart. I think he would look out at the world and go, all of sin. You know, everybody's wanted, everybody's messed up, nobody bats a thousand, We've all sinned, everybody comes short of the glory of God.
Speaker 2: I don't measure up.
Speaker 1: To my own standards much as God's. I think that's the way he said. You see the difference. See the difference in that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The Bible says in Ephesians for twenty nine, do not use harmful words, but only helpful words, the kind that build up and provide what is needed. That's one of the greatest verses on parenting you can ever learn. Fact in your marriage to your center. Your spouse is a center. Two imperfect people cannot make a perfect relationship. So you're gonna have conflict. You are going to fight, You're going to argue, You're gonna have conflict the rest of your marriage. Now the question is are you going to fight fair or not? And what you need to do is you need to establish some ground rules so you don't destroy yourselves in the inevitable conflict of life. And you need to take some words that are inflammatory and say, sorry, these are off limits. We're just not going to use these words. There's certain words that you can use that trigger your spouse and enrage them. And there's certain words your spouse uses and you that can trigger you into rage or depression. They need to not use it. You need to take them off and say fighting fair. We're not gonna use these words in our marriage. One of them is the threat of divorce. You're not gonna say, well, then we'll get a divorce. You need to take that one off the table. You need to close the escape patch of your marriage. You need to lock it with the key and throw the keyed away and say, we're gonna make this marriage work. If it kills us, okay, it may, but it will keep.
Speaker 2: You going further.
Speaker 1: During the Cold War between the communists East and the capitalist West, between the Soviet Union and its allies and the United States and its allies. Even in the height of the Cold War from the nineteen fifties on about when the Berlin Wall fell, and I think it was eighty nine, even in the worst moments of the Cold War, both sides agree that some weapons were off limits. We called them WMD's weapons of mass destruction, and we said we may fight, we.
Speaker 2: May argue, we may have conflict, but.
Speaker 1: We're not going to use the big one. Neither side is going to drop the atomic bomb because of what was called mad m a D mutually assured destruction, and both the Soviet Union and America and our allies all knew that if one atomic bomb was dropped, it was over for the world.
Speaker 2: This was going to destroy the whole place.
Speaker 1: You need to ban the weapons of mass destruction from your marriage. There are certain words you just need to those are off limits. We're not going to use them, and you need to make a list of them. And you need to agree and say, we may be so mad and so upset, but we're just not going to use these words. Do not use harmful. You need to learn to fight fair. Now that leads me to the sixth step. Write this down. Fix the problem, not the blame. This is the sixth key to resolving conflict and restoring a relationship.
Speaker 2: Like I said, this is.
Speaker 1: Worth thousands of dollars of counseling what I'm giving you.
Speaker 2: Fix the problem, not the blame.
Speaker 1: You need to learn to attack the issue, not each other. You need to realize that you're both on the same team. Anytime you're busy fixing the blame, you are wasting energy not fixing the problem.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us today. You know we love hearing how Daily Hope is encouraging people. We receive messages all the time from listeners and viewers sharing how their faith has grown through our messages, devotionals, and the right now, I'd love for you to hear this quick story about how Daily Hope is making a difference in the lives of others just like you.
Speaker 4: Daily Hope's a daily reminder of God speaking to me on whatever subject Pastor Rick is talking about that day, whether it's something that I need to do or something that I need to focus on, or just reminders. Sometimes they're just the reminders of God's faithfulness to me. And if I don't start my day that way, my day goes. We're right in the dumpster. All the little things of the world just consume me. But if I start it with Daily Hope and a reminder where I'm a child of God and where God has me, then I can deal with those things. I'm not going into battle without the tools that I need to win the battle. There's times that Daily Hope just prompts me to read it, and then next thing, I'm on the way to work and God's talking to me, and I put it on my phone and listen to it going to work, Because sometimes you just need to hear it. You need to read it, and you need to hear it, and it just settles into me a little bit better, and eviably, when I get to work, I have three guys that work for me, and we get into these discussions and I keep telling them, guys. Pastor Rick was talking about that in Daily Hope this morning. You need to read Daily Hope every day. You just it needs to be part of your life every single day.
Speaker 5: Would you like to sign up for Pastor Rick's email devotional. You can just scan the QR code or go to dailyhopetv dot com.
Speaker 1: Now, God is very very specific about the kind of words that are out of bounce. And you don't say, but you did this, but you did that, But you did this, but you did that, but you did this, but you did that. That blame game is a waste of time. Stop fixing the blame and start fixing the problem. You got a problem with sex in your marriage. You got a problem with finances in your marriage. You got a problem with in laws in your marriage. You've got a problem with children in your marriage. You got a problem with work schedule in your marriage. Stop fixing the blame and start fixing the problem. Now, God is very specific about the kind of words that are out of bounce. Colossians three eight is just one example. I could give you dozens. I don't have time to do this. Let me just give you one. You must rid yourself of these WMDs, these weapons of mass destruction, of all such things as these angry rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Okay, he says, in your marriage and in your relationships, no angry rage. In other words, you should never try to intimidate anybody with anger. You never make threats. That doesn't work. You don't intimidate with anger and threats. Malice means you say things that are intentionally designed to hurt, like you're just like your mother, or you're just like or labeling or belittling or psychologizing.
Speaker 2: Well, now I know why you did that. No, you don't.
Speaker 1: You can't even figure out your own motivation. How in the world would you figure out the motivation of anybody else. There's no way you can know anybody else with motivation because you don't even know.
Speaker 2: Your own half the time. And then no slander.
Speaker 1: That means no insults, no insults, no belittling.
Speaker 2: No labeling. Fix the problem, not the blame.
Speaker 1: Finally, number seven, the seventh step is focus on reconciliation. Not resolution. Focus on reconciliation not resolution. There's a big difference. Reconciliation means re establishing the relationship. That's what it means, re establishing the relationship. We bury the hatchet doesn't mean we remarry if you're with an ex, it just means we're at peace with each other. I'm not holding on to any hurt. You're not holding any hurt. It's we bury the hatchet, reconciliation, re establish relationship. Resolution means we resolve every disagreement, and that ain't going to happen because the truth is, there's some things in your marriage and some things in your friendship and with other people you're just never going to agree on because we're all different. But you can disagree without being disagreeable. That's called maturity, that's called wisdom, that's called Christ's likeness, being like Christ. To disagree without being disagreeable. We can have unity without uniformity. We can walk hand in hand together without seeing eye to eye. Can and I don't see et ee on a lot of different things, but we walk hand in hand and we're now coming up this next year will be our fortieth year of marriage.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: You can have reconciliation without resolution. And here's what I've learned from counseling marriages. If you focus on restoring the relationship, oftentimes the issue becomes insignificant. How many of your biggest arguments were over the smallest things and they weren't really about that. And you need to get back to focusing on the relationship. Now, let me wrap it up. Here's my challenge to you, as your pastor who loves you. Our world is filled with conflict. I mean it's just pick up the newspaper. It's everywhere. And in a world where there is constant conflict, wars, division, argumentation, stress between people, where there are prejudices and racism and clashes, where we have everything from violence and tribalism and terrorism and people getting in each other's face and partisanism and people attacking each other constantly.
Speaker 2: And as a.
Speaker 1: Result, we have broken relationships. We have a broken economy, we have a broken government, we have broken marriages, and we have broken lives and broken hearts. My challenge to you as your pastor is that you you you will commit to becoming an agent of reconciliation in a world filled with conflict, that you will become a bridge builder, not a wall builder, that you will look for ways to bring people together rather than tear them up. Let me show you what the Bible says. Last verse on the screen two Corinthians five eighteen to twenty says this God has restored our relationship with him. In other words, God made us his friends. We were estranged, we were unreconciled. And God has reconciled us to himself through Christ. Jesus died for our sins, and he says, and now He has given us this ministry.
Speaker 2: Of restoring relationships.
Speaker 1: Your ministry if you are a Christian, if you're a follower of Christ, if you claim to be a man of God, a woman of God, your ministry is the ministry of restoring relationships. Your ministry is the ministry of reconciliation. Your ministry is doing everything I just taught you how to do. God was in Christ restoring his relationship with humanity. He was reconciling us to himself.
Speaker 2: He did not.
Speaker 1: Hold people's faults against them, and you shouldn't either. And He has given us this message. What is the message the message of restored relationships? To tell others, Jesus Christ loves you so much. He'd rather die than live without you. He has broken down the barrier and the wall, and he wants you to be reconciled to him. God wants a relationship with you, and then he wants to give you that relationship to others. The message of restored relationships to tell others, we are Christ representatives. We beg you on behalf of Christ to become reunited with God.
Speaker 2: That's what it means to be a witness.
Speaker 1: It means to God in society and say, hey, man, God's done everything to put you back in fellowship with him. He's already paid for all your sins. You don't have to be his enemy. He's not mad at you, he's mad about you. Be reckoned, stiled the God and be at peace with God, and then spread that peace.
Speaker 2: With everybody else. And if you do that, the Bible.
Speaker 1: Says this, God blesses those. God blesses those who are peacemakers. They will be called the children of God. It's a bow our heads. Do you need to plan a peace conference this week? Do you need to pick up the phone and a relationship that's been starved or strangled, or strained or even deeply broken and take these steps. It takes courage. Tell God, I want to be a peacemaker this week. I want my prayers answered, I want happiness. I want to be in.
Speaker 2: Fellowship with you.
Speaker 1: So I want to restore the relationships that have been broken.
Speaker 2: And God, I'm scared to death. Just tell him that help me.
Speaker 1: You need to make a peace plan for your home and make a list of the WMDs you go these are off limits for us. We just let's agree that we're never going to use these words again in our marriage. Maybe you've never made peace with God, and if you're at war with God and you've never received Jesus Christ as your savior, you need the peace of God so you can have the peace of God. Say in your heart, Jesus Christ, I admit that I've made many mistakes and I need your forgiveness. And the biggest mistake is I've tried to run my life without you. I've tried to pretend like I was God. And I'm sorry, and I humbly ask you, Jesus, to save me, and I ask you to come into my life fill me with your peace and your love so I can share your peace and.
Speaker 2: Love with others.
Speaker 1: Fathers, Pastor, I pray for these people, these dear people, that we would become agents of reconciliation in a world of conflict and where there is strife, that we might bring peace. And I pray this, giving you the glory and asking for you to give us the courage and love. I pray this blessing in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Speaker 2: Amen.