Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Gary and Shannon Show, I Am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And this one is shocking because of the circumstances. Right we will get into all of the well, they're conspiracy theories in my mind, and I know it's too soon, and then Denise Huskins rule and all of that, but it just seems fishy. The family coming right out and saying that they believe it's carbon monoxide poisoning despite not really knowing what happened and not understanding the parameters of what the responding officers found right out of the gate is a little bit odd. But let's start with what we know about this thing right away. They are, as you heard Amy say, labeling this death as suspicious. Now, according to this search warrant Santa Fe. They live in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Beautiful home, sprawling estate. I think it was built in two thousand, So that also plays into the probably had working carbon monoxide detectors, but maybe not. You can probably find people to tell you that they need to be replaced in twenty five years. But this detective who got the search warrant wrote in his AffA David that he believes the death of Gene Hackman ninety five and his wife, who was much younger than him born in sixty one, actually younger than Gene Hackman's oldest son. Anyway, she and Gene Hackman both found dead, and the deputy believes it's suspicious enough in nature to require a thorough search and investigation because of these things that went down. The reporting party found the front door of this residence unsecured and opened. Deputies find this healthy dog running loose on the property, another healthy dog sniffing around near the body of the dead wife, and then a dead dog laying ten to fifteen feet from the wife in a closet of the bathroom. Now there's a pill bottle open near her body. Pills are scattered next to her body. Gene Hackman is found in a separate room of the residence, and this deputy notes in his Affidavid that there's no obvious signs of a gas leak, that they checked that out. The wife's name is Betsy Arakawa and she was found in the bathroom on the ground near the countertap a countertop lying on her right side. The deputy who responded sees this black space heater near her head, and he thinks that the heater could have fallen in the fact that in the event that she abruptly falls to the ground. But it's not out of the realm of possibility that there would be a space in a bathroom in February. I keep a space heater in my bathroom because it gets so cold when you get out of the shower. That's not a weird place for it to be, I don't think. Also odd is the fact that it looks like she has been dead for quite some time, that her body was in further stages of dcomp decomposition. So these pills are scattered on the countertop, and yes, she has been dead for some time. Her face is bloating. There's even mummification in her hands and feet. Now, Gene Hackman is found in a separate room off the kitchen. He's fully clothed. They suspect he may have suddenly fallen because his sunglasses are found next to the body, So in that regard, it sounds like it could have been carbon monoxide poisoning. Right, it's this slow leak that you don't even realize is happening, and you may not get any symptoms till it's too late, and then boom, you fall down your debt. That makes it. But the fact that the wife was in another part of the house that that's irrelevant. But she was badly decomposed, much more so than he was. Now it was a space heater on. We don't know. Does that speed up the decomposition process? Listen, I'm no doctor. We all know that, but does it It doesn't seem out of the realm of my pea brained thinking when it comes to that being a possibility. She dies and the space heater is on. Maybe they died a couple days ago, something like that. It could maybe speed up all that process. I have no idea. The fact that the dog was found in the closet is another thing that's interesting to me, because sometimes when pets are near death, they find places like closets, small areas, places tucked away, you know, this where they go to die. And was that something that had happened beforehand? Is that something that tipped all of this off? We don't know. The New Mexico Gas Company did go to the home, conducted testing on the gas lines in and around the house, and concluded as of now, there are no signs evidence there were or evidence indicating there were any problems associated to the pipes in and around the residents. The fire department also, so you've got the gas company, the fire department, and the police department all saying no signs of any sort of gas leak, no carbon monoxide leak. The dead dog, by the way, was a German shepherd found ten to fifteen feet from Betsy's body in that closet. And again two other dogs alive and healthy. Were they just outside when the carbon monoxide if that's the working theory was released, even though there's no evidence that that was the case. The family came out right away and said that they believed it was carbon monoxide poisoning. Now, maybe that's because that's what you want to believe, because it seems painless. It seems like the way you would want your father to go. These three kids, by the way, Gene Hackman's kids are all from a previous marriage. Jean and Betsy were married in nineteen ninety one. Again, she is early sixties, so in the pills. The other thing about the pills. Didn't she ingest the pills? What happened? You saw? Like recent pictures of Gene Hackman and his wife, he looks well, he's ninety five years old, but he doesn't look anything anything like himself from you from what you think, I mean, I think of Gene Hackman, and I think of Norman Dale and Hoosiers. I mean, who didn't want to jump out on the hardwood for that guy. When he gets into his whole speech of five players on the floor functioning is one single unit, You're like, yes, I want to be part of that team. His backstory, by the way, is fascinating. There was a quote I read from GQ magazine that did a profile on him back in twenty eleven. Michael Haney is the editor in chief of GQ magazine, and he did a profile on Gene Hackman and listened to this quote, and I think it sums it up perfectly. And we'll get into more of his obituary when we come back, but he says this about Gene Hackman. On one hand, he has the gravitas of the Lincoln Memorial. On the other he has the physical forgetability of that middle management guy. In the seat next to you on the flight from Rochester to Omaha. Isn't that perfect? Like what a wonderful, unassuming presence Gene Hackman had in the movies. The other thing I love about him is he's a late bloomer and his Hollywood story plays out the way Hollywood seemed like it played out in the seventies, in terms of who is friends, who lived together, how they got started. It's all very fascinting. I find it fascinating. We'll get into that. The President clarified the tariffs on imports from Canada and Mexico today. He did say that they would go into effect March fourth, as scheduled, so next week. He said that those countries still not doing enough to stop the flow of drugs into the United States. China will also face additional ten percent tariffs next week. The thing with Canada and Mexico and the drugs makes sense. There's just one little, well little thing. Canada doesn't really send US ventanyl. When you look at the numbers. Last year, US Customs intercepted about nineteen kilos of fentanyl at the Canadian US border nineteen compared with ninety six hundred at the border with Mexico, so apples and oranges there, so to speak. So we'll dig into what that all means, what the tariffs will mean for us when we talk swamp watch coming up at eleven.
Speaker 2: The British Prime Minister is going to be in town today too. Care Starmer is going to be a I was just.
Speaker 1: Going to say and refresh my recollection on who that is? Who's that guy kier Star?
Speaker 2: And then tomorrow is when Zelenski is supposed to come into town and sign the mineral assets accord that has apparently been worked out between the United States and Ukraine.
Speaker 1: So what's your take on this Gene Hackman situation.
Speaker 2: So I saw some of that same information and first blush.
Speaker 1: He was really out of it. Like they've been very quiet.
Speaker 2: I mean, the only picture that I think we've the most recent picture that we've seen of Gene Hackman was from March of last year when they were somewhere out at dinner in Santa Fe or something like that, and he looked like a ninety five year old guy. And like you said in the last segment, he didn't look anything like himself. He didn't have the same facial characteristics that you remember him from these dozens of movies, these iconic movies. But the way that you described it set it up like this, she had something happen. Suicide with the pills a possibility. Obviously, she had some sort of medical event and she dies, but he doesn't know it, and he eventually dies because there's no one there to help take care of him, don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know about this. What about the dog? The dog?
Speaker 2: Listen, the dog. You made a great observation. The dogs go into the corner when they're about to die. Maybe the dog gets a hold of some of the pills on the ground. She's right, because he wasn't too far away from that dog wasn't too far away from where she was.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the family coming out and saying it's carbon monoxide right away? What do you I.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't make any statement about anything at any time after my parents died. I mean, you're like you. I don't know how you would possibly come out and say. I mean, you may want to put to rest the idea that that someone broke in and murdered them, right, I mean that would be obvious you'd want to there's no and this is still not foul play. I mean, even if it is just a series of acts evidence, you know, over the course of it, it would appear if she was in fact in that state of decomposition more so than he was. That it occurred over the course of a of a few days. But I mean, you you pointed out one of the greatest, the absolute greatest sports movies I think that I've ever seen. If you put your effort in concentration into playing to your potential.
Speaker 1: To be the best that you can be, I don't care what the scoreboard says at the end of the game. In my book, we're going to be winners. Well okay, yes, slow clap, Oh my god, Shells, let's go, let's go. Let me hear it. I thought he thought that that movie was going to be a flop. That movie, by the way, I watch it probably once a year. It holds up. And if you need a little pick me up, a little go get them in your in your life, just throw on hoosiers. He was. They say, you know, a reluctant star. Whatever one of the reasons is. He was a rather late bloomer. He was thirty six before he broke through. And Bonnie and Clyde this was a role after he got After losing the part of mister Robinson in The Graduate, he lied about his age to get into the Marines. He was doing some work in California, New York. He lived with Dustin Hoffman, by the way, you know fellow Graduate star Dustin Hoffman. In New York. He was working odd jobs throughout his life, a truck driver, a doorman, before he was a steady actor. He said that in nineteen eighty eight, he said, neither Dustin nor myself looked like the leading men of that era, especially Dusty because he wasn't tall. We're constantly being told by acting teachers and casting directors that we were character actors, which of course means you're not attractive. Right If you're called a character actor, that means like you got a great personality. But exactly, he said, but you know, I still wanted to be an actor. He was from Illinois, Danville, Illinois, born in nineteen thirty. Parents divorced when he was an adolescent. Let's how sad this is his father, who was a printing press operator, just up and deserts the family one day. And Dustin Hoffman, even in recent interviews, can still remember his father's goodbye wave. He said, I hadn't realized how much one small gesture can mean. That was Gene Hackman.
Speaker 2: Remember that, you said, Dustin Hoffman, Oh, you're just talking about He said that lack of a father gave him his hard working drive. Mom had musical talent. His grandmother was was often sick and would live with the family, gave him a fondness for the arts. He said, I was too young to be left alone. She was too old to be left alone. So I became very close with his grandma. With Grandma, she was a great storyteller.
Speaker 1: Dustin Hoffman and Gene Hackman were, I guess their Their relationship was solidified when they were both acting at the Pasadena Playhouse. He had moved to Pasadena in fifty two to take up acting, and the two at the time were voted least likely to succeed. And I don't know if that was tongue in cheek, but they moved to New York together and they became friends with another struggling actor by the name of Robert Duval. Wow, they all scavenged for parts.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize that when that his Bonnie and Clyde performances as Buck brought him an Oscar nomination. I know he'd been five times, but I didn't realize that was one of the nominations that he got.
Speaker 1: Here's a fun fact. He was the first choice for the role of Mike Brady on The Brady Bunch. Wow. Wow. You know when you hear those things about how different everything would be if like one person got a different role, how that would change your life, you know, like how different the Brady Bunch would be with Gene Hackman as Mike Brady.
Speaker 2: I think one of one of his other iconic roles for me was when he played Lex Luthor in the Original Superman with Christopher Reeve. Because he was he would yell out, he was the he was the creepiest, evil but happy guy the whole time, and then he would yell out miss test Smucker as his secretary would come out. I just remember that because that was That was one of those movies that when it came out on VHS tape, we had it and I would watch it over and over again.
Speaker 1: I loved him in the firm, I mean, how chilling the Royal Tannembaumbs was a fun, quirky turn for him as well.
Speaker 2: Uh, well, listen, this is one of those This is one of those guys. They have to do something about him for the Oscars coming up on Sunday. I don't know if they have a lot of time to turn it around, but hopefully people pay pay him the respect that he is he deserves.
Speaker 1: If Hollywood can't put together a quick oh bit for Gene Hackman in a series of days, and they should just shut down the whole place.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a good point. Do you see this new book that's coming out from Jake Tapper?
Speaker 1: I did. I heard something about it. It's all about the Biden cover up, right, which is a lot of it.
Speaker 2: There's rich irony for Jake Tapper to be one of those guys that's writing this. The other one is Axios correspondent Alex Thompson.
Speaker 1: They talk about.
Speaker 2: It's called Original Sin, President Biden's decline, It's cover up and his disastrous choice to run again.
Speaker 1: Funny title. It's going to be released on May twentieth.
Speaker 2: They'd said that they tackle exactly what led to the Democratic Party's defeat last year, with a spotlight on the decision to run for reelection and the subsequent dropout in favor.
Speaker 1: Of his vice president, Kamala Harris. Well, we chronicled all that in real time. I mean, give me a bombshell, give me something that we didn't know. I mean, you and I sat there and saw it with our own eyes for months and said, what the hell? What are we doing here? And I want to know who ooh, was the ring master or several ring masters of just playing this weekend at Bernie's. Everything's fine here, put sunglasses on him, put the ray bands on and prop them up next to that podium, and open the door when he's got to leave so he doesn't need to figure out how to work a doorknob and all of it. I mean that, that to me is almost on a criminal level of keeping a president's health and mental acuity secret, and even not even secret, but knowing it's in degradation and hiding.
Speaker 2: That well, and what I mean, it's not like it hasn't happened before with other presidents.
Speaker 1: We've seen that happen before, sure, but it was a different time with Reagan when he was well, when he was nuts. That's also not good. When Reagan was e rose of dementia and Nancy ran basically that second presidency, it wasn't twenty twenty five. We didn't have the twenty four hour media, there wasn't the access to the president. It just it was a different time, was it right, No, Did it happen before then, probably, but I think we all saw it. Yeah, and your point that it didn't.
Speaker 2: In the eighties, it didn't take much for the White House to control that message, whereas in twenty twenty four they had to have a lot of reporters and media outlets that were complicit in that to keep that to continue that story. I don't They obviously didn't do a very good job at keeping anything secret, but at least they were continuing this story. Everything's fine. You should see him behind closed doors. He's a spitfire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a lying thing. You know, nobody was gonna say that Joe Biden wasn't well. There will be people that say Joe Biden is not a good person, but nobody was hate Again, there will be people that hated on Joe Biden. But the thing is is he's not a hateable guy. You know, nobody was. It was the lies. It was just come out and be like, hey, we love Joe Biden, but he is clearly not all. I don't know how you put that delicately, but it can be done. There's people that are paid well to put that delicately. He's not going to be our candidate moving forward. Just be honest, because when you plant those seeds of dishonesty as a politician or as an administration, it's hard to come back from that.
Speaker 2: So new Attorney General Pam Bondi was on Jesse see Waters show I think it was last night on Fox and.
Speaker 3: Said, you're going to see some Epstein information being released by my office. What you're going to see is a lot of flight logs, a lot of names, a lot a lot of information. But it's pretty sick what that man did.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm glad you went on Jesse Waters to announce that, because that is straight from the water is wet file, Like, we know what Jeffrey Epstein does and it is disgusting and it's always made us sick. Tell us more about those names. Are we going to get new names?
Speaker 2: Well, so she says pretty sick what that man did along with his co defendant. That was the piece I cut off, which means I assume that she's got information about Dlainne Maxwell. Now Ghlaine Maxwell was often the one credited or blamed with holding the little Black Book, that she's the one who has the list of names of people who are allegedly involved in all of this. This all comes right after the Senator from Tennessee, Marsha Blackburn, wrote to the FBI director, the new one, Cash Betel, and the AG and requested the release of a bunch of relevant information, including flight logs from the jets and from the helicopters, and Galainne Maxwell's Little Black Book.
Speaker 1: So we haven't seen any of it yet. Listen.
Speaker 2: It could be it could be Rachel Maddow and the tax of tax paper. I mean, it could be nothing, but there could also be some pretty significant names of people in there who we would all recognize.
Speaker 1: You weren't on that plane, were you?
Speaker 2: It was not on that plane. I was stuck in traffic. If that's what you're asking.
Speaker 1: What how about the traffic? What was the hold up? Was there an accident?
Speaker 2: I left later than usual today, but it was a couple of accidents in the exact l long spot to the point where you know, there's one choke point for me where I can only go on one roadway that's the only there's no sides, there's no I gotta go on that one.
Speaker 1: But once I get.
Speaker 2: Past that, the world is my oyster, as the Ways Traffic app might tell me. But it also took an hour and twenty seven minutes to get to work today.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, so that's usually like a half.
Speaker 2: Hour drive, right yep? Oh, yeah, which is fine. It's fine.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate you not being in a foul mood. You sound like I mean sometimes if if my traffic's gonna triple like that, I'm not in the best. What am I going to do about it? I'm not nothing. And that's exactly the attitude you should have.
Speaker 2: I mean, I may drink later, but I'm not gonna drink now. That'd be crazy.
Speaker 1: I think there's still some fireball in the medicine cabin. Oh yes, that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: We haven't checked in on the Brian Coberger, Idaho murders case in a while. They the defense has dropped. It's described in the headline as a bombshell. This is not a bombshell. It's interesting, but nobody was like, what this guy has?
Speaker 1: What? I was excited to hear that Idaho does have the Firing Squad as an option. That's fun. They still do.
Speaker 2: Guess who's got a new podcast, wrong, Gavin Newsom. Gavin Newsom is a new podcast. The next hour at ten thirty, We're going to talk more about this what he says he's going to be doing with this podcast. This is not the same one that he was doing with Marshawn Lynch, but it is. It is going to be available on the same places that you find the Gary and Shannon Show podcast. Columbine High School near Denver had to be evacuated and actually closed yesterday. There was a fire outside the wood shop area of Columbine High School, which raises the question to the still have wood shop in high schools?
Speaker 1: Apparently chaos some places do. I mean, you know when when wood shop and auto shop and the art programs go by the wayside, so much is lost, Like, yeah, they're electives, but there's a reason why electives are important. Yeah, I totally agree.
Speaker 2: We had wood shop in junior high and we had auto shop and metal shop even in high school, but I don't even think those are.
Speaker 1: Still there anymore. My brother didn't give a little frisky this morning. My wife said, Oh, because you relate to work, So he's implying that you got a little you know, stop doing that.
Speaker 2: I can hear your hands, I can hear them.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 2: Way to start off this Thursday, anyways?
Speaker 1: Way to go? Stop you keeping it fresh university? Go ahead? Your brother? What your brother did? Oh? I was just gonna say, my brother could care less about algebra, geometry or Spanish or whatever, but he excelled in things like wood shop and auto shop and he ended up working with his hands and all of that. And if he didn't have that in high school, you would feel so much. What am I doing here? Yeah? You know what I mean? Like, we all our minds don't work alike. We're not all academically minded. So when you remove things that like people actually do for work, you know, with their hands and all of that, it removes such an important part of learning and figuring out where you're going to fit in the world and what you're going to do and what you're good at. Yeah, and he has become a noble tradesman, my brother. Yeah, wouldn't you describe him that way? A noble tradesman. I feel like we're at the Renaissance fair. Now, but yes, I would.
Speaker 2: University of Idaho murder suspect Brian Koberger's defense team has dropped what they're describing as a bombshell claim because they're trying to fight the death penalty there in the state of Idaho. Of course, this is the story of November twenty twenty two, when four close knit friends were murdered in their home there I think one of them was visiting, but murdered in a home in Moscow, Idaho, just outside a University of Idaho campus, and the thirty year old criminology student, Brian Coberger was the one charged with the murders. He is a former heroin addict who became a criminology major and was studying criminology and all elements of criminology when these murders took place. They have cell phone information that at least puts him in the vicinity of the murders. They had apparently some social media contact maybe that he had made with at least one of the victims. And here's the thing, there's pretty much cut and dried evidence that he is the only one that was capable of and did these murders. But now they're.
Speaker 1: Saying Autism is not an excuse for taking the death penalty off the table. We all know autistic people. It does not lend them even a little bit more into getting into the game of murder. Yeah, it's the defense, you know, it's it's it's the old go ahead. Oh, I was just gonna say, it's the old I had a bad childhood defense, right, had a horrible childhood. My father was abusive, I had you know, the cycle repeats itself, and that's why I beat my wife till she died. Autism does not hold that kind of it just it doesn't work that way. You know that the bad childhood defense will work because it's a jury of your peers and everyone thinks. Not everyone, but some people think, oh I get it. You know, I can see where that would happen. That was the example that he had autism. I think we all know somebody with autism now, and it doesn't make you any more murdery to be autistic.
Speaker 2: Well, and in this case, they're not even necessarily using it as a defense from the murder. They're just trying to get the death penalty off of the table because their defense motion was filed. It's called to strike the death penalty regarding autism spectrum disorder. Now, the prosecutor argued in an unsealed filing that under idahole law, mental conditions shall not be a defense to any charge of criminal conduct, except expert evidence on the issues of any state of mind, which is an element of the offense. So they're kind of arguing different things there. Again, the defense just wants the They're not using autism as a defense against the murder charge. They're using it as a way to try to get the death penalty off of the table if that if they can even do that.
Speaker 1: The families of the families of Long publicly called for the death penalty for the firing squad. Firing squad, by the way, in Idaho became an alternative method of execution just last year because they had a shortage of lethal injection drugs. It's not the primary execution method. No inmate has been put to death since it was interd and there is a bill making its way to change that, by the way, and the families are trying to get that bill across the line. If you wanted someone to be killed by the government, how would you choose for them to be killed? Snakes That's a loaded question and we're up against a break, so we'll address it later. Hi.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap