Speaker 1: All right, time to dive in. Today. We're going to be looking at rust specifically how it's used in web development. And you know what, you've given us a really interesting mix of stuff to go through. Oh yeah, yeah, we've got excerpts from this book practical Rust Web projects, and then some of the official documentation for Rust itself. So yeah, it should be fun to dig into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great combo. There's like we can get the practical side and then dive into like all the nitty gritty technical stuff that you know makes it.
Speaker 1: Tick totally, and right off the bat, the book highlights these three big strength of Rust, right, security, concurrency, and then low level control. And for someone building like a website, especially one that you know, handles sensitive stuff or needs to be super responsive. I mean, these features sound almost too good to be true.
Speaker 2: Well let's break them down. First off, security, I mean, when it comes to the web, right, the stakes are high, like really high. One little vulnerability and oh boy, things can go south fast.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: What's wild about Rust is that it can actually like stop a lot of common security problems right at compile time.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you mean before the code even runs exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like the compiler is this super thorough code inspector. You know, it's checking for like memory errors, data rases, and all these other sneaky things that could like create security holes. Having that kind of scrutiny at the compilation stage, m hm, it gives developers a huge advantage, a level of like confidence that's really hard to get with other languages.
Speaker 1: That's a powerful advantage for sure, especially like you said, these days where everyone's so concerned about security. Right, But okay, what about concurrency? I mean, websites these days, they have to handle so much at once, right, like user interactions, database queries, all these background processes. Just seems like a nightmare to manage all that efficiently and you know safely.
Speaker 2: You're right. Concurrency is a major challenge in web development. Like the old ways of doing things, they often lead to code that's like super complex and easy to mess up. I mean, but rust it tackles this head on with its ownership and borrowing system. This ensures that your code is thread safe, but without like sacrificing performance. Honestly, it's a game changer for building like high performance web apps that you can actually rely on.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm starting to see why people are so excited about Rust. Now, the book also mentions low level control as a strength. But is that something that you know, a typical web developer really needs to worry about. It sounds kind of intimidating, to be honest.
Speaker 2: You don't have to be like a hardware guru or anything, but having that low level control can be a real asset, especially when you're like trying to squeeze out every bit of performance.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It basically lets you fine tune how your code talks to the underlying system, you know, so you can really get things humming.
Speaker 1: So for tasks that are like really resource intensive, Rust can give you that extra edge. Exactly interesting, And speaking of putting all this into practice, the book walks through this project called cat decks. Yeah, it's this Pokemon inspired index of like cat breeds.
Speaker 2: I love it, Yeah, CatEx. Yeah, it's a super fun way to show how you can use Rust to build actual web applications.
Speaker 1: Totally, And the book explains how cat x uses server side rendering with Rust. Now, I'm more familiar with those like drag and drop website builders, So can you maybe break down what server side rendering actually is and why it matters here.
Speaker 2: Sure. So in a service side rendered website, basically the server is dynamically building those HTML pages for each request, right, so instead of sending like a static file, it's assembling the page on the fly, pulling in data from like databases, any user input, and all those other kind of moving parts. This approach has some real advantages, especially for sites with a lot of content or complex interactions.
Speaker 1: So the server is doing more work upfront, but then it delivers a fully formed page to the user's browser.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. And in the case of cats, imagine the server grab an info about each cat breed from a database, plugging that into a predesign htmail template, and then boom, sending that complete page to the user.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, But the book also brings up this potential issue, right, what happens when that cadex database gets huge, constantly generating those pages from scratch. It seems like that could slow things down.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, you've hit on a key point. If you've got tons of data and it's changing all the time, that pure server side rendering approach, it can become a bottleneck. And that's where the book's discussion of rest APIs with rust comes in.
Speaker 1: Rest APIs Okay, I've heard that term, but I'm still a little fuzzy on what it actually means. Can you break that down for us?
Speaker 2: For sure? Think of a rest API as this specialized way for the server and the client, which would be like the user's web browser to talk to each other. Instead of sending full blown web pages, the API sends data like in a structured format. It could be Jason or xmount, things like that, and then that data can be used by the client side code, which is usually the JavaScript, to dynamically build the page right there in the user's browser.
Speaker 1: So it's more like a team effort, right, instead of this server doing all the work, it's kind of sharing.
Speaker 2: The load exactly. The server's like here's the raw data, and the client side code is like, all right, I'll assemble and present this. And that can seriously boost performance, especially for data heavy websites like we were talking about with cadecs.
Speaker 1: That's really clever, but it also seems like you need to understand like both the server side stuff and the client side stuff, right, you do.
Speaker 2: But the cool thing is that Rust plays really well with front end technologies like JavaScript. You can build that API with Rust, serving up data nice and efficiently and then use whatever JavaScript framework you like to handle all the client side logic. And like how it looks okay?
Speaker 1: So Rust is like the powerful engine on the back end feeding the data to the front end, where JavaScript takes over to create the user interface.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's a good way to put it now.
Speaker 1: The book also mentions using web sockets for real time two way communication.
Speaker 2: Ah, I can see.
Speaker 1: That'd be useful for like a live chat feature on the Cattex site. Right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Web sockets create this persistent connection between the server and the client, so you can have that constant back and forth flow of data. What was up? A ton of possibilities live chat, you got it, real time notifications, collaborative editing, all sorts of cool stuff.
Speaker 1: Wow, RUSS seems to have like all the bases covered. But let's be real, managing all these different pieces the server, the database, the web sockets, it sounds pretty complex. I'm already getting server management anxiety just thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I hear you. It can seem daunting, but that's where the idea of serverless computing comes in. And hey, guess what. The Practical Rust Web Projects book actually dives into that too.
Speaker 1: Serverless. Wait, you mean I could potentially build this whole Catdex website without actually managing any servers myself.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: That sounds amazing, But how does that even work in practice?
Speaker 2: In a serverless environment? You focus on writing your apps logic as functions, and then a cloud provide like AWS. They handle all the underlying stuff, the servers, the scaling, load balancing, all that. You basically just deploy your code and cloud takes care of the rest.
Speaker 1: So I can just focus on the code and let the cloud handle all those infrastructure headache exactly. That's a game changer. Now, the book mentions using AWS lambda specifically for serverless rust, is that like a viable approach.
Speaker 2: It's not just viable, it's a powerful combo. Awslambda lets you upload your rust functions and then it automatically runs them on demand. It scales them up or down based on traffic, so you don't have to worry about it. Yeah, and get this. The book even talks about using this thing called the serverless framework. Okay, it lets you define your entire infrastructure as code.
Speaker 1: Wait, so I could like write code to define my servers, my database, my whole setup. That's incredible, right.
Speaker 2: This approach brings a whole new level of like flexibility and automation to web development. You can version control your infrastructure, easily deploy changes, and just like focus on building great apps without getting bogged down and all that server stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, this is officially mind blowing. And to top it all off, the Rust documentation you sent me talks about compiling to this thing called web assembly. Apparently it lets Rust run like right in the browser. Is this for real?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, web assembly is a real game changer. It lets languages like Rust run at near native speeds within web pages. It's opening up possibilities that we just couldn't do with JavaScript alan before.
Speaker 1: So instead of relying solely on JavaScript, we could use Rust to build these like super high performance parts of a website that run directly in the browser exactly.
Speaker 2: And this is especially exciting for things that need like crazy performance, think complex calculations, data visualizations, maybe even game development. The documentation even highlights this Rust powered image recizer that runs entirely in the browser.
Speaker 1: So instead of uploading a huge image and then resizing it on the server, we could offload that processing to the user's browser with web assembly.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and imagine the possibilities if we combined this with cattex. Oh yeah, you could resize images on the client side before they're even uploaded. That would save bandwidth and reduce the load on the server. Pretty amazing stuff.
Speaker 1: This is truly remarkable. I feel like we've only just scratched the surface of what Rust can do in the web development world. I'm definitely eager to explore this further.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot to uncover. It seems we've got you hook on the potential of Rust for web development.
Speaker 1: Hooks doesn't even begin to cover it. You mentioned this web assembly image recizer and the documentation says it can reach near native speeds. Is that level of performance really possible inside a web browser?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's not just hype. Web assembly really is a game changer when it comes to web performance. By compiling languages like Rust to this like low level bycode, we can really tap into the power of the user's hardware.
Speaker 1: So we're basically like bypassing some of those limitations of JavaScript and getting a more direct line to the browser's capabilities.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. Web assembly lets us build web apps with performance that used to only be possible with like native desktop applications, and that has huge implications for well pretty much everything, complex visualizations, immersive games, you name it.
Speaker 1: This opens up a whole new world. But is web assembly limited to just those smaller kind of self contained modules like the image recizer example. Could we build entire web applications using Rust and web assembly.
Speaker 2: Now that's where things get really exciting. We're already seeing frameworks like You pop up and they let developers build entire front end applications with Rust and web assembly. Really yeah, You is heavily inspired by those popular JavaScript frameworks like React, but it brings all those Rust benefits, the safety, the performance, the reliability right to the front end.
Speaker 1: So instead of JavaScript handling the user interface, we could have Rust powering both the service side logic and the client side interaction exactly.
Speaker 2: And with Rust's focus on memory safety and predictable behavior, we can create web applications that are not only super fast, but also really stable and much less likely to crash.
Speaker 1: This is like changing the whole game. It really flips the traditional way we think about web development on its head. Now I want to circle back to that Practical Rust Web Projects book and the catdex example for a minute, the book explains how to build a server side rendered website. What are some of the key steps in setting up a site like that with rust?
Speaker 2: Well, the book used this framework called actis Web, which is known for being like really fast and flexible. So the first thing is defining the structure of your application, like creating the blueprints. You know, you set up roots to handle incoming requests. You define handlers which contain the logic to process those requests and send back responses that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So it's like mapping out all the different parts of your website and defining how each section will respond to what the user does exactly.
Speaker 2: You're basically creating a roadmap for how your web application will function. Then the book gets into using handlebars, which is a templting engine. It lets you embed dynamic content within your HTML files. This is where you start pulling in data from databases and other sources to make those pages dynamic.
Speaker 1: So instead of having static HTML files, we're using these templates that can be filled in with real time data, making the website more interactive and engaging.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Handlebars is a great way to separate the structure of your HTML from the dynamic content, which keeps your code cleaner and easier to maintain. Of course, you can't have a web application without a database. The Kadex project uses Diesel, which is a really robust ARM that stands or object relational mapper, and it basically makes it way easier to work with databases and Rust.
Speaker 1: Ah Diesel, I remember reading about that, but if I'm being honest, databases still kind of intimidate me. It feels like a whole other world to learn.
Speaker 2: I get it. Databases can be complex, but that's exactly why Diesel is so great. It lets you interact with your database using familiar Rust syntax. It handles a lot of the complexity of writing raw SQL queries for you.
Speaker 1: So what it's like having a translator that speaks both Rust and SQL, making it easier for my application to talk to the database.
Speaker 2: Perfect analogy. Diesel streamlines the whole process of working with databases in Rust, making it much more approachable even for developers who aren't database gurus.
Speaker 1: That's a relief. Now. The book mentions using Docker to set up a Postgres school database. I've heard of Docker, but can you give me like a quick explanation of what it is and why we need it here.
Speaker 2: Docker is awesome for creating containerized environments. Think of a container as like a lightweight, self contained package. It's got everything your application needs to run, the code, libraries, dependencies, even the operating system. Oh wow. In the cattext project, you use Docker to spin up a postgrescool database instance really quickly and easily. You don't have to go through all the hassle of installing and configuring it manually on your own system.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a pre built, portable environment that I can use to run my database exactly.
Speaker 2: Doctor makes setting up and managing the infrastructure for your web application a breeze.
Speaker 1: All right, back to Diesel. How does it actually handle the connection to the database. I imagine managing those connections efficiently is really important for performance.
Speaker 2: Right, You're right it is. Diesel uses something called a connection pool, which is basically a bunch of pre established connections to the database. So when your application needs to run a query, it borrows a connection from the pool, uses it, and then puts it back when it's done.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: This avoids the overhead of creating a brand new connection for each request, which can really bog things down.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a dedicated lane at a toll booth, so we don't have to wait in line every time we need to get to the database.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. I like that the connection pool keeps things flowing smoothly. Now, earlier we were talking about how concurrency is one of Russ's big strengths. Right, I'm curious how does Diesel handle concurrent database access? Wouldn't be a problem if multiple threads were all trying to use the database at the same time.
Speaker 1: Rate question, and it highlights a key thing about databases. By default, Diesel uses synchronous IO for database operations, so each database request will block the thread until it's finished. Now, that might seem like a limitation in a concurrent environment, but Rust provides a solution with this feature called web dot bloc weblock. What does that do?
Speaker 2: Webb block lets you move blocking operations like database queries off to a separate threadpool so they don't hold up the main thread, which needs to be free to handle incoming requests and keep your web application responsive.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a dedicated team of workers handling the database tasks while the main team focuses on serving those Web requests exactly.
Speaker 2: Web byblock helps you harness the power of concurrency without sacrificing the responsiveness of your app. It really shows how Rust lets developers write code that is both efficient and safe, even when dealing with tricky stuff like database interactions.
Speaker 1: This is all so fascinating. It's amazing to see how all these pieces fit together. The framework, the splitting engine, the arm, and Rust's concurrency features. They all come together to create this powerful and efficient web development ecosystem.
Speaker 2: It really is a testament to how thoughtfully Rust and its whole ecosystem have been designed.
Speaker 1: But let's be real, building a website isn't just about showing static content. We want users to actually interact with it, submit data, have those dynamic experiences. How does Rust handle things like forms and user input.
Speaker 2: Well, the cattex project actually demonstrates this. It builds a form for adding newcats to the database. It shows how to handle HTTP post requests, process the data from the form, and then interact with the database to store that new information.
Speaker 1: So it's like creating a conversation between the user and the application. The user provides input and then the application response by updating the database and maybe showing some feedback or updated content.
Speaker 2: You got it. Handling forms and user input is essential for web development, and Rust has all the tools and libraries you need to do it securely and efficiently. You can validate user input, sanitize data to prevent security problems, and provide clear error messages if things go wrong. It's all about making a smooth and reliable experience for the user.
Speaker 1: This is all starting to click for me. I'm actually feeling like I could build a website using Rust.
Speaker 2: I think you absolutely could, and remember that Practical Rust Web Projects book is there to guide you every step of the way. Right. The great thing about Rust is that its strong type system and the compiler are like your partners in crime. They'll catch errors early on and help you write really solid, dependable.
Speaker 1: Code that's encouraging to hear. Now, speaking of real world applications, let's talk about image uploads. I can't imagine cat des without a way to show off pictures of all these adorable cats. How does Rust handle file uploads?
Speaker 2: The cat dex project covers that too, yea. It shows how to handle file uploads using multipart form data, which is a standard way of sending files over the web. You can receive those cat picks from users, process them in your RUST code, and then store them either on the servers, file says, or a cloud storage service like AWSS three.
Speaker 1: So it's like adding a virtual photo album to the Catdex website where users can share their own cat photos Precisely.
Speaker 2: Handling file uploads opens up so many possibilities for building rich, interactive web applications, and because RUSS focuses on safety and error handling, you can be sure that the process is robust and secure, protecting your application from potential vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: This is incredibly impressive. We've covered a lot, from the basics of server side rendering to the details of database interactions, form handling, and even file uploads. It's amazing to see how seamlessly Rust brings all these pieces together into a complete web development ecosystem.
Speaker 2: And we're not done yet. There's still so much to explore, like the ins and outs of deployment, how to handle errors effectively, and the overall impact Rust is having on the future of web development.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to dive deeper, but for now, I think we need a moment to let all this sink in.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's definitely a lot to process. We'll pick up our explorations soon.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I think I'm caught up. Last week left off, we were talking about image uploads for our Imaginary Catdex website, and the book mentions how important it is to handle those uploads, you know, securely. Makes sense, especially when you're dealing with stuff that users are sending in.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, security is like the top priority, especially with user generated content, right. You always have to be on lookout for those those sneaky uploads that could, you know, try to exploit weaknesses in your app or like mess with your server.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's not just about making sure those cat picks are cute. We also got to make sure they're not like hiding any digital viruses or something exactly.
Speaker 2: You got to be really careful about validating file types, sanitizing the input, and just generally protecting against potential attacks. Luckily, RUSS has a really strong set of tools and libraries that let you build those safeguards right into your application from the get go.
Speaker 1: That's good to hear. It sounds like Rust encourages developers to think about security from the very beginning, just like tack it on as an afterthought exactly.
Speaker 2: And that focus on security is a big reason why Rust is becoming so popular, especially in areas where reliability and safety are absolutely critical.
Speaker 1: Right, okay, so let's switch gears a bit and talk about the visual side of our CatEx site. We've covered the back end logic, the database stuff, the file uploads, but what about the front end, the part that users actually see and interact with. You know, technologies like CSS and JavaScript are essential for making a modern looking website. How does Rust work with those?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. So Rust itself is mainly focused on the back end logic, but it plays very nicely with front end technologies. You can still use your favorite CSS frameworks for styling, and of course JavaScript for all those interactive elements. And remember web assembly that we talked about earlier. That actually allows for even tighter integration, letting you run Rust code directly in the browder right alongside your JavaScript.
Speaker 1: So it's not like an either situation. We can use the best tools for each part of the application and have them all work together smoothly.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You can take advantage of the strengths of each technology to create a well rounded, high performing web application. For example, you could build the core logic and the API of your website using Rust, which gives you that robustness and efficiency on the back end, and then use a JavaScript framework like React or viewtas to create a dynamic and interactive user interface on the front end.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, Okay, Now, one thing that always kind of stresses me out is error handling. Oh yeah, websites can be pretty complex and things bound to go wrong sometimes right, network issues, database errors, unexpected user input, all that stuff. How does Rust approach error handling to make our applications more resilient.
Speaker 2: Rust has a very sophisticated error handling system that basically forces you to think about potential errors and handle them gracefully. Unlike some languages where errors are kind of ignored or handled with these generic exceptions, Rust makes you be very specific about the types of errors that might happen and how you want to deal with it.
Speaker 1: So instead of our catnecks website like completely crashing if something goes wrong, we can anticipate those issues and provide helpful air messages, maybe even suggest some alternative actions for the user.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, Well handled errors are crucial for a good user experience, and Rust gives you the tools and the structure to make that happen.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Now, speaking of making things happen, let's talk about deployment. Getting a website from our development environment out into the real world where people can use it. That can be a pretty scary process. How does Rust help with that.
Speaker 2: One of the things that makes Rust so great for web development is that it can create these self contained, statically linked binaries. Okay, what that means is you can compile your Rust application into a single executable file that has everything it needs to run. It doesn't need external libraries or a complicated runtime environment.
Speaker 1: So it's like pack in a suitcase for a trip, but you've got everything you need right there. No need to worry about adapters or missin essentials.
Speaker 2: Huh exactly. That self contained nature makes deployment super simple. You can just copy that compile binary to your server and it should just work without any compatibility problems or complicated setupsteps.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly convenient. Okay, last question before we wrap up this amazing deep dive. The documentation mentions that Rust can be used not only for web development, but also for creating like command line tools. Could we use Rust for everything in our CADEX site, the front end, the back end, even some behind the scenes tasks.
Speaker 2: You've hit on one of the most exciting things about Rust. It's incredibly versatile. It's not just a web development language. You can use it for all sorts of things. You could write command line tools to automate tasks, build the server side logic for your web app, create those high performance web assembly modules for the browser, and even explore things like game development or embedded systems.
Speaker 1: So Rust is like a multi talented performer capable of handling a whole range of different tasks. Kind of like a Swiss army knife for software development.
Speaker 2: Huh huh. That's a perfect way to put it, and that versatility is a big part of why Rust has become so popular. It lets developers use one language for all sorts of projects, which means you don't have to keep switching between different languages and ecosystems.
Speaker 1: This has been such an eye opening deep dive. We've explored the key features that make RUSS so great for web development, walk through building a real world project, and even touched on its broader applications.
Speaker 2: It's been a pleasure exploring all this with you. The resources you brought the practical rest web projects book and Rust documentation. They've given us a really thorough and insightful look at what Rust can do.
Speaker 1: I think our listener now has a much better understanding of why Rust is making such a splash in the tech world. It's not just a language, it's a whole new way of thinking about software with a focus on safety, performance, and reliability.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Rust represents a significant step forward in software engineering. It gives developers the power to build applications that are not just efficient, but also really robust and secure.
Speaker 1: So to our listener out there, we encourage you to give Rust a try and explore its growing ecosystem. Whether you're building web apps, command line tools, or exploring other areas of software development, Rust has something to offer, and who knows, maybe you'll be the one to create the next big thing, the next cat deck sensation. Keep learning, keep experimenting, and until next time, happy coding.