Speaker 1: Time for law and disorder.
Speaker 2: I demand a lawyer with attorney Jeff Kaufman on one oh one to one w JRR.
Speaker 1: To Orlando's rock station, Jeff Kaufman from Kaufman and Lynn Fine, Personal Injury Firm here in Central Florida. If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, slip and fall, whatever the circumstances may be, and you think you might need legal representation, might not be bad to grab the ear of Jeff and run your situation by him.
Speaker 2: Many ways to get in touch with them, Jeff at whenuned us dot com as his direct email as Jeff at when you need us dot com pound five four to six on your cell or four zero seven five hundred, Jeff. I, Uh, just before we went on the air, I had been entertaining the idea of going to see Joker too.
Speaker 1: But after you just pretty much blew the thing out of the water here, Uh, I think I'm going to go ahead and mendos plans. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We took about eight hundred people. A couple of year lesteners showed up for that one on Thursday, and you know, normally I would say, hey, listen, it's not my opinion. But it was like a funeral leaving this place. I mean I had to I had to apologize people for their loss. It was it was and I'm you know, I'm into this stuff. It just was something and it might be your taste. There might be people out there, because I think one out of every hundred people tell me, oh my god, Jeff, it was great.
Speaker 1: I'm going, wow, you're a dark person.
Speaker 2: I've heard it basically how you said it was a steaming pile.
Speaker 3: He realized this, if you're not in the mood for a musical and a depressed music where they sang like songs from the fifties, you might.
Speaker 1: Want to not go. Just say hey, I saw this. I thought of you immediately. Boy, what a lucrative case this is going to be. There's a mega mall in New Jersey called the American Dream Mall. American Dream Mega Mall one of the biggest, second biggest mall. Yeah, they're now three lawsuits against them by mall patrons who have been injured by motorized plush animals, which I guess you can rent out. Yeah, they're little kids things. They've had them for years. Yeah, well they're little.
Speaker 3: I mean when I say, they don't move that they're they're like electric and kids the little kids ride them, and they're tiny.
Speaker 1: I guess they're big enough to knock over a pregnant or a woman who recently gave birth to a baby and was holding the baby. Oh god, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well what happens is it's probably an independent contractor who's renting those things.
Speaker 1: I can't believe them all would even sign off on this idea. In this stage you did them.
Speaker 3: They had one at the UH which is the one with the Bass Pro Shop in it International or whatever called Desi Worlds.
Speaker 1: Oh yea, yeah they changed these Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's they used to have those all over and my son used like when they were little, my kids when they were like these or five, they used to write them. Really, I mean they were just little plushes. I mean they're just they don't move fast, like five miles an hour, and they're just like I mean people, you don't really race them.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe they jacked these things up. Two dose know, this is the second biggest mall in the country. You have to do something to get people to come to malls, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean malls are dying.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, I just saw something the other day about these malls, and you know you have a problem when people have to rent these places. So some of these places of upwards to three hundred stores in it, and look at all the death to retail lately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're good. They're supposed toly.
Speaker 2: We reported about a year ago they're making pickleball courts and a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What do we got from the listeners this morning? Two? Two? Hey, Jeff.
Speaker 2: Recently, my work sent a memo saying that even if you work through lunch and don't clock out, they will still take the hour from your paycheck.
Speaker 1: Is that legal?
Speaker 3: First off, you can't work over time without getting paid. But here's the caveat. They tell you to take a lunch and you arbitrarily choose not to, or you forget to clock out or something else like that. I've seen people get fired for that. Or I said, listen, we're not paying you overtime. We don't want you to work during this time. Don't work. So if I were, you take unless they're telling you you can't clock out, take the lunch, you take your lunch. But if they're a wink wink, Yeah, this is supposed to be for lunch and they're insinuating that you should be working.
Speaker 1: That's another problem.
Speaker 3: That's a problem. Definitely don't do with that, you know. So, yes, you can't. When you're on the clock. You're on the clock. They can't tell you to How can I say it? Not be on the clock?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right? Could you prefer to work the traditional nine to five day or with an hour for lunch which means you only get paid for seven hours, or would you rather be a nine to six where you actually work eight hours and get an hour for lunch.
Speaker 3: Well, some people do the half hour lunches, Like in my office, people choose they go, well, I want the full hour, I want a half hour. I mean it's all over the place with that stuff.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, what about you, lecher? Now? Would I would want the full forty? So I'm buying up for the.
Speaker 2: Okay, landlord didn't renew lease before selling his property. Didn't let anybody know. Now the new company's raising our rent over one hundred dollars? Is there any way to fight this?
Speaker 3: What you're saying is that the new place is bound by the lease that's concurrent. But if the lease has expired, then yeah they can they can charge you whatever they want to based on the lease itself. The lease says hold over tenants or the next lease, and it doesn't discuss how much the next term is. Then you're gonna have to pay what the person says it is MM.
Speaker 1: So that sucks.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, yeah, but that's you know that I have that issue too. You know, I also sow Lisa condo and I have to make normally like four or five months ahead of time.
Speaker 1: I ask, because moving is a paint.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah, Hey, Jeff, my plaintiff attorney lost my case on an MSJ hearing.
Speaker 1: Is it worth an appeal? Trip? Oh? Appeal trip? In fall case? Okay.
Speaker 3: MSA means motion for summary judgment. It means that the other side is saying in the you know, they get to win before you go to trial. And it's basically based on the concept that, uh, it's a legal issue, meaning that the judge has ruled that said, hey, listen, even a jury, this doesn't have to go to a jury. So it happens all the time. For example, a slip and fall. A lot of times it deals with what they call viscarcity, meaning you know how slippery the floor is.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of times.
Speaker 3: Else they'll find that the person has cleaned it within a period of time and it falls under this. I mean, just because you slipped and falled and something doesn't mean that the person's responsible and stay of Florida. They they say, if it was cleaned up or checked within a certain period of time, you know, then the place is okay. So if I have to guess it had something to do with they found out later and were able to prove that they had checked and clean the area within a reasonable amount of time. So I think that's probably what happened to you, And very rarely can that be appealed in that in cases like.
Speaker 2: That, somebody texted about the Joker movie said, thank you Kaufman. We still enjoyed a night out. Even though the movie was a little on the poor side. It's okay. Just didn't like the ending. I was wondering if I could.
Speaker 3: I wanted to super fraud because I've spent a lot of money on that movie and I wanted to go somebody should write me a check.
Speaker 1: Wow, because it was bad in the poor side.
Speaker 3: I think he was being generous when when people came by me, they just they had that look in their face, like, what did you do to us?
Speaker 1: And I was like, I didn't make the movie. I didn't.
Speaker 3: And the worst thing is the director was the same guy who wrote and directed The Hangover. Yeah, how could you make a Joker movie? Not funny at all? I mean not a single line in that movie you're going, oh, that's funny.
Speaker 1: Nothing. And that was from a girl by the way that you said when he said, if.
Speaker 2: Your rental becomes unlivable due to storm damage from a hurricane, are you still required to pay rent during the time you're unable to stay at home?
Speaker 3: It's a tough call. You're dealing with what they call active god, and that means that you know, hopefully the guy has insurance, hopefully he fixes it within a reasonable amount of time, but you know you could be held responsible for it. But if he chooses not to fix it at an unreasonable time, you know that's on him and it could be called what they call a constructive eviction, which means that you know, you were basically evicted from the benefit of your property.
Speaker 2: Okay, Can I sue the county police for wrongful arrest of case that was dismissed during probable cause hearing?
Speaker 1: Wow? That was a lot here. I knew you were going to say that, because it's just the way.
Speaker 3: What what she's asking for is this is that you know the police weren't aware that the warrant in the system was wrong. You have to show that they did something and they acted unreasonably. In the situation, you might be able to go after the person who put something in the system that was wrong, but good luck trying to find them. I mean, police are doing their job on the most part. When they pull you over and it's in the computer, if it says something, you know they act on it. Unless the police officer knew that this warrant was bad or something else like that. But it does sound like you know that they were acting in good you know, with reasonable.
Speaker 1: Knowledge.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't forget to get in touch with Jeff directly for personal injury questions.
Speaker 1: It's Jeff at when you need us dot com.
Speaker 2: Can I lose my job if I join the Coastguard Reserves and have to go to training for three weeks?
Speaker 3: Normally companies have to How can I say, make accommodations for you when you're in the military. I don't know how big this company is. I don't know their rules. I mean, you did this after you took the job, so they might say, yes, you changed you know, your agreement with us by you know, not being available for your job.
Speaker 1: So you're basically saying that may be something. If you're entertaining the idea of doing that, find out either ahead of time.
Speaker 3: What the policy of the business, or talk to your current players say hey, I'm thinking of doing this. Yeah, some places are This is a difference between being you know, brought into combat where they say, hey, listen, you know they have to keep your job open, or something like this. This is you joining after you were in the company, And honestly, I don't think you're covered in this situation like this, all right, I know that sucks, and I'm sorry. I don't mean to it seems like bad news Hurricane Monday. I wish I could say, I wish I could say, everybody's got a case.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing about the law. People don't get. You know, you can get an accident and still not you know, the law still might not cover you because there are rules of wall. Like I said, slip and falls are really based on you know a lot of rules. And now in the state of Florida. This is the way this works as of about a year and a half ago, is that if whatever act sitting you're in, if your if you could be found fifty percent or more responsible for your injury, you get nothing. Florida used to be a completely comparative negligent state, which means, let's say they were they were twenty five percent responsible, they'd be responsible for twenty five percent. But the Congress Florida Congress got in with the insurance companies and changed that rule. Now so now slipping falls and premises cases like property cases, are a lot harder to prove because companies are more likely to fight things where they can wait a minute, we have a shot, you know, and we.
Speaker 1: Didn't get to your question this morning. We'll set them aside and get in front of Jeff nexico around or you can reach out to him directly this week and he cannot touch.
Speaker 2: You that way told you his email direct email is Jeff at when you need US dot com. That's Jeff at when you need US dot com. Or you can do pound five four six on your cell or get them called directly at four zero seven five hundred. Jeff takes care of yourself, and park your cars a little higher than you used to, because that water is gonna come in and it'll be over your car before you know it.
Speaker 1: Jeff Kaufman from Kaufman and Lynd Appreciate it, Jeff. Anytime Linchin Taco on demand, download the iHeartRadio appe