Speaker 1: It's night with Dan ray I'm telling you crazy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Madison. Good evening everyone. As we move into a Tuesday. By my calendar, it says it's June tenth, so we are in June, the sixth month of the year, and we are like twenty days from the halfway point of twenty twenty five. Tempest fugit. That's what they used to teach us in Latin school back in the day. My name's Dan raym the host of Nightside, heard every Monday through Friday night from eight until midnight right here on WVZ, Boston's News Radio ten thirty on your AM dial. Rob Brooks is back in the control room, and we will start off of the first hour as we always do, the night Side News Update, with four guests who have information on various topics. You're going to talk about the Battle of Bunker Hill two point fifty, a big commemorative event coming up. We'll be talking about that. We'll talk with Kelly Eisner of the American Red Cup US here in Massachusetts about a blood shortage, something that all of us can help alleviate if you are so inclined. And then later on We're going to talk about women becoming butchers. Apparently there is a paucity of female butchers. I don't think I've ever run into a female butcher, but we'll talk about that. We're going to start off with doctor Dean Suitor. He is the organ Distinguished Professor of Urban Entomology at the University of Georgia. Doctor Suter. Hope, I pronounced that name correctly. How are you this evening?
Speaker 3: That's perfect, Dan. How are you doing tonight?
Speaker 2: I'm doing very well. Always nice to hear a Georgia accent here up in New England and all up and down the East coast of America. On WBZ. We know a lot about nasty bugs and spiders and things like that. We talked last week with an expert about the spotted lantern fly. It sounds lovely, but it's a nasty it's a nasty bug. But tonight we're going to talk about Asian needle iiots. They do not sound like they're any fun at all. And why don't we explain to us what an Asian needleiot? I hope I never run into one. Yeah, yeah, yes, they're the more prevalent in our world than maybe I realized tell us about them.
Speaker 3: Yes, So the Asian needleland was that it was actually first discovered in Georgia back in the nineteen thirties and couple of surrounding states. It was pretty well established at that time, but specimens started showing up in natural history museums, and so for the longest time, well since the thirties, nobody was It really didn't garner a lot of interest till probably twenty five years ago several scientists from Clemson University started working on its biology and ecology. And what really brought the latest notoriety of this critter is that in my job Dan, I interfaced with the public quite a bit, and last year I got several, I'm probably three or four cases where homeowners had contacted me here in Georgia who had been stung by this ant and wound up in the hospital with anaphylaxis and nearly died. And when I hear that that that's a trend to me. So the folks at Clemson kind of they they sounded this alarm ten years ago, but it really if you talked to an entomologists in the southeast and probably up and down the East Coast, you'll find people who have held who have encountered cases where you know a client has had anaphylaxis.
Speaker 2: So so we have ants up here. I'm not an entomologist, but I'm aware of my surroundings. And we have black ants, and we have red ants, and I guess they are a carp ther ants, and you know, more a variety of species. But where the heck did this species come from? And why is it all of a sudden after having been fairly stable in one area of the country. Not that we want to keep them in Georgia, but they end up Are they in New England as well? At this point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are reported cases of them in New England all the way up the east coast. So my hunch is that they're probably not as widely distributed in New England, but they have been reported from several several states in New England. So the areas that are characterized where you find this ant, it's going to be hardwood areas with a kind of open understory underneath the hardwood, so oak trees, oak areas, spices like that, and it's I think the reason why it hasn't garnered a lot of tension over all the years is because it's just it's a three sixteenths of an inch kind of boring little ant that crawls around on the on the surface of the sidewalk and nobody really pays attention to it until you're working in the garden one day and you get stung by it, and if you if you are susceptible to anaphylaxis, you can wind up in the hospital. So it's it's one of these things that we're what we're telling people is learned to identify it. And if you you can go to your county extension agent you could probably send them to you mass Amherst and get them identified if you so, if you know what it is, you can you can kind of avoid it. But it and identification is really not for the novice. You can take a good picture of it, send it to U mass somebody there can identify it, and then you have at least your you're armed with the with the evidence. They either have it or you don't have it on your property. That's important. That's step number one.
Speaker 2: Okay, are they pictures of the Internet so someone could google, you know, and not wait for the ad to appear and get a picture. Are they reddish are they. What's the coloration.
Speaker 3: They're kind of blackish brown, about three sixteen seven ants inch. But they don't they don't crawl. They don't they don't trail. So you'll see them crawling and they look like they're lost. They'll be all by themselves and they'll just be crawling on the substrate. They kind of look harmless. And there's a there's a website called Ants of the Southeastern US. If you google that, there's some really great images of the of the Asian needlelant on that website. You know, the good thing about this and is it does not come inside like many pest ants that come inside and come after your dog food or cafood. This critter tends to stay outside. And the thing about it is it's most abundant during the time when we're outside doing our thing. You know, we're working in the garden and that kind of thing. So when I'm when I'm here and I'm working in the garden, if I pick up something that's laying on the ground, I look at it, I look underneath it, because that's what they like to do. They like to live in underneath patio stones and and and logs that are laying on the ground. That's their favorite place. And so we try to get people to clean that stuff up and keep your firewood piled up off the ground so it doesn't so it doesn't get wet. They really like wet wood.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you, it's amazing that these these invasive species. I assume this is all because we're doing more international trade in the twentieth century than we did in the nineteenth. And we're doing more international trade. This must be an offspring of international trade. Not only just these needle ants, but also the longhoined beetle and the juro spider and the lantern fly. And is that a safe assumption that I'm making.
Speaker 3: My way off is that now that's safe. International commerce is the way these things move around. So, as a graduate student that was working on the Port of Savannah is one of the busiest ports in the US, and so he was looking at the ants associated with the Port of Savannah several years ago. He identified forty three species of ants on the port, and a third of them were not native to the US, so they weren't highly invasive, but they were not They were what we call exotic. They're from a different from a different land, and they had just established on the port and we're doing their thing along with all the native ants. But a third of the a third of the fauna ant fauna on the port was was were exotic ants.
Speaker 2: And I'm assuming that these never go extinct, correct, I mean, you know we always hear about the bald eagles going extinct or whatever. You know that these beautiful creatures, but any chance like they go extinct at that point.
Speaker 3: No, No, the e word eradication is not used by entomologists. That they don't. That's a bad word in entomology because once once a critter gets established somewhere, it's really hard to eradicate. You can manage it, and that's what we recommend is if you're thinking about this ant on your property or other of you have other pest problems, call your local pest control company. But uh, eradication is a bad word.
Speaker 4: You you you.
Speaker 3: Can, you can them down but and keep them at a smaller population level. But eradication is not not really not really possible in most cases.
Speaker 2: I mean most people will say that it's it's even a horrible species. Every species has a purpose. I'm not an entomologist, and that that most entomologists would say, even if you could eliminate a specific species, it would not be the right thing to do. Are you I assume you're in that camp, right.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing about this critter is not it's not from this It's not from North America, right, So it evolved in Asia, and so there are certain there are certain biological traits that when an invasive species comes in and it falls out of the container. Uh, there's certain invasive there's certain traits that allow it to kind of elbow its way in. And so we see that with invasive ants, especially this one when it when it has moved in and there's other invasive ants. This does do this when they move into an area, that really simplify the ecology and they can really mess up the area because one of the things they do is they drive our native ants to extinction and they dominate because they dominate the they dominate the food resources. So that's kind of the kind of the issue with invasive ants. And on top of that, this one happens to be a pretty pretty important medical past. So it stings and can put you in the hospital.
Speaker 2: Okay, So therefore it wouldn't be a bad thing if some scientists came up with a way to eliminate these or least ship them back to China.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: If we get to find a way to control it, that's the that's the golden thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, doctor Dan Souter, I enjoyed it very very much, The or Can Distinguished Professor of Urban Entomology, University of Georgia. That's a pretty good football program down there. You're gonna have to deal with Belichick though, I think at some point. Yeah, just just watch out for his girlfriends. She kind of controls the situation. You've got to know that. Thanks, docor Sooner. I appreciate it very much. Enjoyed the cover.
Speaker 3: Have a great evening.
Speaker 2: I sure will. When we come back, we're going to talk with Jonathan Lane. He's a historian, and we're going to talk about the Battle of Bunker Hill, the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Battle of Bunker Hill. It's a commemorative event. It's not going to be taking place in Charlestown. It's going to be taking place in Gloucester. By the way, we will have a new opportunity for you to connect with us here on night Side, we are putting into place on the free iHeartRadio app, which all of you, I hope by now have brought down and put on all your devices. We have a talk to us what's called the one app.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: For those of you maybe who don't want to wait on the telephone, you can simply tap the record button on the full screen player and you can voice just what you want to say. You get thirty seconds and you'll know how to run it, probably intuitively, and Rob will get Rob or Maria will get your statement, and we'll be able to play it through the new one tap portion of the iHeart app. Now, I know may sound a little confusing to you, but just be with me. Get the iHeart app, bring it down, it's free, doesn't cost you anything, put it on all your devices. Make us your preset, your first preset. Therefore, every time you're listening to Nightside, if there's something that you want to weigh in on, it's not as instantaneous as calling the show, but it gives you an opportunity to say what's on your mind in about thirty seconds. You can write it down if you're a little nervous, whatever, and you can record it and Rob will get it and you may hear it back in the year shortly after you send it in. In the meantime, we will be right back here on Nightside and we're going to talk about the Battle of Bunker Hill, number two fifty coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray. I'm w b Z, Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let us now proceed, and I'm delighted to reintroduce to you, gentlemen. Who's been a guest a couple of times with us already, Jonathan Lane. He is a historian. Jonathan, how are you tonight?
Speaker 5: Hey, Dan, Thanks very much for the opportunity. It's a good year, the two hundred and fiftieth.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, the good thing about it is we're just starting it when you think about it, and we're going to talk about the Battle of Bunker Hill. Now. The actual date for the Battle of Bunker Hill, I think is June nineteenth. Is that not correct? June seventeenth, seventeenth, Okay, I knew it was one of those. That's okay, June seventeenth. So this event is going to be held on that day or will it be held on the weekend prior to.
Speaker 5: Well, we actually have a whole ten days worth of events that people can attend, both in the neighborhood of Charlie Town in Boston and also of course culminating in the sort of grand scale reenactment that's going to happen up in Gloucester on the twenty first and twenty second.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the dates we're talking about is a Saturday and Sunday. That's where I got confused. Four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for the reenactment, that's true. But events actually have already started this week in Charlestown and.
Speaker 2: They're on Yeah, go ahead, Oh.
Speaker 5: It's you know, it's absolutely amazing. So the City of Boston archaeologist has been trying to uncover remnants of the town of Charleston, which of course was entirely destroyed during the battle and four hundred and five hundred houses, and the archaeology he's doing is really helping us to understand the lives of the people who lost everything in this battle, even if they weren't actually on the battlefield. So there's continuing work being done on that. We've got the parade on Sunday, which is an epic opportunity for people to come out and showcase their love for this history and for the veterans who really work hard to put that event together. Actually on Saturday, of course, June fourteenth is the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the United States Army, and a lot of the veterans in the Army look upon Bunker Hill as their first battle, even though quite frankly, they didn't know they were in the Continental Army at that point, but they would find out soon enough when George Washington arrives to take command. So we'll be doing a lot of two hundred and fiftieth Birthday of the United States Army event since at Bunker Hill on Saturday, there's going to be a flag garden, a memorial flag garden for the thousands of men who gave their lives not just on the American side, but also on the British side. This battle was devastating to the British Army. They lost more men in this battle than they lost in any other battle during the entire eight year war for American Independence, and so we want that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they really changed the way they thought.
Speaker 2: The Gloucester event, which is going to be the following weekend, the twenty first and the twenty first and twenty second. Why is it in Gloucester and not in Charlestown.
Speaker 5: You know, any public historian, our historian of any stripe would really want to be on the hill on the day, which is why we're looking forward to the events on the seventeenth. But in reality to put on the kind of grand scale reenactment that has been planned. We have a thousand reenactors coming from all over the United States to participate in this, as far away as the Carolina's coming up to participate, to showcase not just the lives and actions of the British soldiers and the provincial soldiers, but also of the citizens of Charlestown who, as I said before, lost everything. So we we need space. We need a park with a hill that can accommodate these all of these reenactors and their camp since many of them will be camping out, And of course we needed it by the ocean because the maritime component is very important. We have four ships that are going to come in and stand in for the British navy that surrounded Charlestown. And at the end of the day, when we started looking around for spots that then Diagram got smaller and smaller, and we finally found a place at stage Fort Park in Gloucester, and they have been wonderful partners and we're looking forward to encouraging everybody to go to Charlestown, the Hill where it happened, and then come on up to Gloucester to see history reimagined or really it's.
Speaker 2: Such important history and it really does spread it out, which I think is really good. It's wonderful that so much of this people will have an opportunity to participate in. There's got to be a website that we can send people to in case they weren't taking notes during our conversation.
Speaker 5: I'm going to give you two websites. For all the events in Charlestown, definitely go to b H two five zero dot org so Bunker Hill two five zero dot org. And then for the events up in Gloucester, I commend you to Battle of Bunker Hill two fifty dot com.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, sounds great. Well, look, Jonathan, I really do appreciate you are really a compendium of information, particularly when it comes to Revolutionary war history, and there's no better person to talk to than you, So I thank you for joining us tonight, and maybe we can fit in on one other event, or maybe we can do something next week to talk about if you get a breadth, a breadth an opportunity just to take a breather, we could do something quickly in advance of the Gloucester activity. We'll see if we can work schedules that way.
Speaker 5: Okay, that would be terrific. I'd just like to share one more thing, which is that all of these events, they are trying to tell the stories of some of the underrepresented voices at Bunker Hill, so more than one hundred and fifty patriots of color fought. The first indigenous person was killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill on the American side. So we're looking forward to getting people involved in all of the stories.
Speaker 2: Okay, sounds great, Jonathan, we'll talk again. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thanks Dan, have a great night.
Speaker 2: You too. When we get back, right after the news, we're going to talk about a short age your blood for Red Cross. This is the time of year, going into some of the bad storms of the summer season, the hurricane season. When we talk with Kelly Eisner right after the news at the bottom.
Speaker 1: Of the hour, you're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w BEZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, the Atlantic hurricane season is now underway. I think it runs June July, August, September and stops a Remember first, so far, we've been lucky, no hurricanes. We got ten days down and whatever the rest. One hundred and forty to go with me is Kelly Eisner, spokesperson for the American Red Cross here in Massachusetts. Kelly, I understand that the American Red Cross needs blood throughout the year, but apparently we're a little low right now. What's going on?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, this is that time of year where we remind people that yes, exactly like you said, hurricane season has started. It's the time of year where we're thinking about you know, summer plans, getting away, going to the Cape. You know, maybe not today with cold and rainy, but.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I know, don't remind me, Kelly.
Speaker 6: But you know in the midst of all that hospitals need blood three hundred and sixty five days a year. You know, blood has a shelf life of forty two days. So if you donate blood today, that blood will won't be able to be transiated the patient after about mid July. So we just want to remind people that, you know, as everything else is going on, as hurricanes happen, as they start to talk about hurricanes, I mean, yeah, I love your ten day countdown, but you.
Speaker 2: Know that we're good so far.
Speaker 6: Exactly, it's exactly, but there is that potential. And you know, we see like last year was a really bad season for hurricanes, and what happened is when they do hit, that affects the blood supply as well, because you know, if it's dangerous to go out and give blood, we can't have our staff go out and keep running blood drives, and we wouldn't ask our donors to go out in that so it all has a compounding effect.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well, there are some people in my audience who I know are dedicated blood donors. Just remind all of us, if you give blood today, when can you do it again? What is the amount of separation that you have to have between two blood donations.
Speaker 6: It's about six weeks. It's actually fifty six days exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we can, yeah, we can fifty six days. Okay, Well that's actually eight weeks, so it's a little more than did make sure what division there? Okay, So sixty days whatever. Okay, are there people who really give four or five times on a regular basis per year? There? Do you have your your regular donors?
Speaker 6: There are we see donors. It's not uncommon to see people wearing five gallon or ten gallon tins every time you give. It's about a kind of blood, so you know that adds up. And if you're starting to count in gallons, it means that you're pretty regular with your appointment. But I'll do even one betther. We at our DETI Donor center and all our fixed site blood donor centers is where we collect platelets, and I will I work out of our DEBTI office and I will see the same platelets owners every week. You can give platelets a little bit more often, and I get to know people in the parking lot. I recognize their faces as they're moving in. It's really incredible you can give platelets.
Speaker 2: Is there a health benefit for the donor either who donates the blood or donates the platelet, assuming they're healthy and all of that, and they're not, you know, wearing themselves down. But is there any sort of a health benefit for the people who are generous donors?
Speaker 6: I think the benefit is more that you feel great after doing it because you're literally helping save a life, Like an hour of your time could make a life saving difference in someone's in their own health. I you know, I'm sure there's probably anecdotal stuff about you know, people giving blood.
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't really know about that. I've not seen a lot of science on it. But I will say you feel good just knowing that you're doing a good thing.
Speaker 2: Now. I have a list of locations. There are six six locations here, well, there are many locations. My producer Karen Bussemi left me a list of different you know, not your permanent locations. Everywhere, everywhere from I think every town in Massachusetts and Over Danvers, Georgetown, Ipswich, Lawrence, Linfield, Merrimack, Mathu and no Report North Andover, Salem, Salisbury, Topsfield, Arlington, Burlington, Cambridge, Chelmsford, Framingham, Hopkinton, Lexington, Lowell. I feel like Gary Lapierre reading or no school announcements, Melrose, Natick, Newton, North Chelmsford, Pepperl bottom line is almost wherever you live in Eastern Well. Let me finish out here, because I was close to the end Pepperl reading Somerville, Sudbury, Tewksbury, Tingsboro, Wakefield, Waldam, Whyland, Westford, Weston, Wilmington, Winchester and Wilburn. Those are all locations in all those communities that you can go to the to the Red Cross website with Kelly. You can provide us. With the Red Cross website, you can look up and find a location close to where you work or close to where you live. This is a great list, by the way, and this is also from June sixteenth to the thirtieth. What's the website, Kelly.
Speaker 6: It's redcrossblood dot org. And because your point is a very long list, if you just put your zip code in, that'll bring up the ones that are closest to you, closest to your zip code, sorted chronologically. And I actually have to point out we also have six site donation centers in western Springfield. And today it was the first of a two day blood drive on Nantucket. Our whole I put pictures on our social There was a a very full of Red Crossers, Red crosslebontomous and truck drivers that all went out to Nantucket Island to run a two day blood drive there. And that blood drive is expected to collect three hundred units, so we really are all over the place. We try to make it as easy as possible for the donors who get their time.
Speaker 2: Were there any settings of Bill Belichick out there today, I would.
Speaker 6: Have heard, I think if there had been, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well he's got to get ready for the football season. Well this is broken down also folks by county, because if you know what county you're in, or just if you know where you live, Essex County, Middle Middlesex County, I assume you got Suffolk County in here as well. Uh yeah, so this is this is a great a great list for people to to go by. And again it's it has to make people feel better and you do get I think it's like cookies and and juice when when you're in your as you're recovering comfortably. So that alone would be enough. If an incentive for me, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's tell you for me, it's those little I used to be oreos. That was sort of my go to post blood donation snacks, but lately I've been into those little fruit snacks. They're oh I don't think they're made from fruits. They're probably all sugar, but they taste so good after Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, everything tastes better after that. Absolutely. Well, Kelly, first of all, thank you so much for being with us tonight. And I hope that people will go to the website and think about they can give blood. I assume that it's available. This is just not a money through Friday effort. There'll be some weekend availabilities as well.
Speaker 6: Yes, we do run seven days a week. We try to do some morning blood drives, some evening blood drives, just to really meet people where they're at. Make it again, make it easy.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, sounds great, Kelly, say hi to my friend Nate and Telemon was asking for them. Okay, that's Kelly's wife, Parwell. I don't know that. One of my great camera men at Channel four in another in another my prior life television he was a he's a good guy. Okay, coch He made me sitting there. All right, Thanks Kelly. We'll talk soon of the American Red Cross. That's great, all right. When we get back after the break, we're going to talk about going to talk with a woman who owns uh a gourmet butcher's shop, but it's really pronounced it's boucherie. Gourmand in Cohasset, Massachusetts, about I guess getting more women involved as butcher's something I'd never thought of. But we'll we'll, we'll fill you in with all you need to know. Coming back on night Side right after the break.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Delighted to be joined by Rosangela, Theodoro ros Angela. I hope I got the both the first and the last name pronounced correctly.
Speaker 7: Yes, you did, thank you. I'm glad, I'm I'm I'm glad to be here.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you're here. Are you the owner of Theodoro's Boucherie Gourmand? Yes, for the reason I take that French class back in the day.
Speaker 5: It has you serve you purpose?
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: You grew up on a cattle farm in Brazil.
Speaker 7: Yes, I did. That's how my father starts his life. He started his life was he barely finished fourth grade, and then he got into the cattle business. And then he built a big cattle business, over ten thousand heads of cattle there.
Speaker 2: And so now you have a very fancy butcher shop. But but boucherie gomand uh it go has it tell us about that, and then I guess there are not too many female butchers out there. I think the figure is eleven percent? Is that in this country or internationally.
Speaker 7: In this country?
Speaker 2: In this country? Okay? And so tell us about Theodora's Butchery Goman number one, and then tell us about why we don't have more women who are butchers. I when I think of every butcher shop that I've ever gone into, it's I can't think of ever having walked into a butcher shop. I've never been in your fine establishment and watched a female butcher. I've watched a lot of male butchers slice and dice, and there are artists when they you know, cut meat up and just they they're almost like magicians. Tell us about what you're doing. How we get more women involved.
Speaker 7: I grow up in the industry, so my house was full of cattle business people, and my dad had four butcher shops. That's how he started first. So that's a language I always here, you know, among my friends, among his friends. So when I moved here and I found like my son never get to know my father first and my history. So I want to him to know what was my background or my dad did through what he did, how he started. So having the butcher shop was kind of attribute to them, to my father. But also I found like going to the supermarket, going to stores, or going to other butcher shops, I found that it wasn't well thought, you know, Like I was getting meat, they wouldn't tell what it is, just tell me what kind of meat I was getting. So and then I look back at the farm at the big picture. No, there's four years back before the cattle gets to.
Speaker 5: Beat the beef.
Speaker 7: So I you know, when I eat a beef, I can tell if it's a female or how old it is. I kind of can get a sense. So when I and I found that all these four years of the farmer doesn't get translated to the end, you know, or if the customer get a meat that's not for the cut that he wants to eat, or we kind of have to explain to them, Oh, you want to for grilling, you use that kind of meat. You want for the open you use another kind. So I found that it was missing that they didn't know about what was behind and I didn't want to know the farmer hard work would not be you know well represented. Well, uh, places, why why you opened your own shop and Cohasset, Yes, it wasn't. I live in Cohasset. It's the south of Boston, like an hour and I found out here there's a lot of you know, people that go to the supermarket walk all the way down until you get to a butcher, and a butcher you just kind of just walk in. My father used to say, we need more butcher shop than pharmacy because you just go and get what you want and just cook one thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, that's good. Now has your dad? Is your dad still alive and has he been able to go up and visit you?
Speaker 7: No, No, my dad passed away twelve years ago, and that's why I opened the butcher shop. Yeah, I have. I have a neural in his farm, you know when he has a hat that he always wear a hat and a cowboy boots was normal, and I have a tribute to him on the wall. And I just want to just like my son when he sees that he sees you know, I'm telling the story that you never get to know my dad and also be able to tell the customers what go around the farm that they didn't get to know them. So my store has shadow that let the kids play and the set. I have some cattle prods that they play around that I have the hats that they always have something related to the agriculture that they feel connect. If you stay here long enough, are convinced to your two things, or be a butcher or be a cattle ranchers.
Speaker 2: But so you grew you grew up in Brazil on a cattle wretch, so you've been around cattle and beef and all of this your entire life.
Speaker 7: All my entire life. And then my friends and you know, I'm talking talking to them, and then my phone rings, there's a problem in the farm, or oh where's where's a cattle? A tractor fell turnover, so I need to organize to turn it over back in uh had to truck some cattle, organize everything that goes together. So they found very interesting that I, you know, managed so easily. It wasn't because I just manage it, just because I grew up watching that.
Speaker 2: Right now, you don't you don't have cattle in cohact. I assume you.
Speaker 7: You no, Okay, Yeah, I don't go in there and get them. Like today, I have to organize to get three lamps I'm getting for a Father's Day and a half cow to break down on Thursday.
Speaker 2: So where do you if I could ask, do you have to come up, like to the to the meat markets in Boston.
Speaker 7: Or somewhere to know, I go to the UH. I buy from the distributors some some you know, because people into just the normal cuts, you know, the New York strips feel less. But I also like to get whole animals because then I can't have utilize the whole the whole cut, you know, hold the whole cow and use teach more the customer. They don't get just six eight into some one kind of cut. You know, there's many cuts you can use. If you cut properly, you know, and you you know how to cook properly, you can have a very nice, you know, good steak and keep having more steak because the steak has a lot of minerals, iron and your body needs, and it's very healthy. It's not unhealthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I know that there are some people who are vegetarians and pescatarians and all of that, but I like, I'm a big hamburger guy. That's what I like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, meat is very good for you because you know, like you get you I get my memory is very good. You know, I'm fifty five and a lot of people think I'm not fifty five and I haven't done anything. Yeah, yeah, you know it's it's.
Speaker 4: Healthy for you, good well and also help for environment, you know, because we we move the kettles and you know, the kettle comfort grass that wouldn't be able to we won't be able to utilize carries out there on the field. We don't need to make, you know, big project or a house for them to stay. They can stay there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, absolutely, there's a lot more to it. There's a lot more to it, Los angel So I appreciate I learned a lot tonight.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The owner of Theodora's Boucherie Gomand in Cohassett, Massachusetts. Boucherie Gomand, I assume is French.
Speaker 7: Correct, it's French, because I had a French friend that I get to know here in cohas it that every time I will go to her house, I will come up with a little bag and then I made it this meal and she's like, I just don't understand you coming with this little bag and you make this beautiful meal and we don't see this here. And then she kind of you know, helped push me to open. So that's like, you know, till there is my dad's Yeah, till there is my last name in Buchery Goma is a tribute to you know her that she really pushed me to do very well.
Speaker 2: People will find you, Los Angela. Thank you very much, and hopefully there will be more females joining the profession of being coming butchers. Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: Thank you. I hope you come and visit us.
Speaker 2: If I get down that way, you can. Thank you very much, Los Angela. I thank you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we are on Chief Justice Highway, like very easy to get her here on the highway.
Speaker 2: I'll find you. Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 7: So much for having us.
Speaker 2: Thank you pleasure. Thanks again. All right, we get back. We're going to go to the news hour and at nine o'clock and we're going to talk about the problem at Mass and Casts. It's been there forever they've tried to deal with it. It just won't go away, the problem of Mass and Casts. And we'll talk with the South End resident about the living in that neighborhood and it's not a place, a good place. That neighborhood is not a good place. Right now, back on nights out after this