Speaker 1: Imagine you've just intercepted this highly suspicious iOS application file. It's just sitting right there in your sandbox, effectively, you know, a locked black box right just waiting to be opened exactly, and you need to know its exact capabilities, like what's its network infrastructure? What is the ultimate payload here?
Speaker 2: Which you can't just double click it?
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not running it. Actually executing that file on a test device could unleash absolute chaos, I mean, potentially burning your entire analysis environment, or even worse, alerting the malware's command and control servers that you're actively watching them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's basically the ultimate digital bomb disposal scenario. It really is your task with mapping the internal wiring, analyzing the chemical composition of the explosive, and you know, tracing the detonator. But you have to do all of that without ever letting the circuit close.
Speaker 1: The stakes literally do not get much higher than that. So the mission of our deep dive today is to equip you, the listener, with the specific toolkit and the the analytical mindset used by reverse engineers to tear down iOS.
Speaker 2: Apps entirely from the command line, which is the fun.
Speaker 1: Part, right, We are going to unpack the methodology of basic static analysis.
Speaker 2: In today's progression, it really moves from the macro down to the micro. We'll start by extracting the apps underlying architectural blueprints from its MACO binary.
Speaker 1: The fundamental building block exactly.
Speaker 2: From there, we'll move into identifying its external library dependencies, hunting down these little symbol breadcrumbs, and then we bring in the heavy machinery to x ray the compiled assembly.
Speaker 1: Code, which sounds intense, but we're going to break it all down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and ultimately we're going to apply all of this in a live, real world dissection of a really sophisticated, completely hidden piece of iOS malware.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait for that part. But let's start a square one, because before we can reverse engineer the logic, we have to profile the target, and in the Apple ecosystem, that primarily means determining if the app relies on objective CS or a bridged hybrid of the two.
Speaker 2: Which is such a crucial first step because that distinction changes your entire approach to the binary.
Speaker 1: How So, like, why does the language matter that much? Right out the gate?
Speaker 2: Well, Swift by design incorporates really strict type safety and module name spaces, and that forces the compiler to do something called name mangling.
Speaker 1: Name mangling. It sounds violent, it kind of is.
Speaker 2: When the compiler processes those human readable Swift functions, it compresses all that type and module information directly into the function's internal symbol name.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if I'm looking at it, it just looks like complete cryptographic gibberish to the untrained eye.
Speaker 2: Oh completely, it looks like random characters. Yeah, but it's actually a highly structured naming convention.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: So, if you are inspecting the dumped strings or symbols of a binary and you spot a function declaration that kicks off with an underscore followed by a capital T, so that underscore T prefix, you have immediate conformation that Swift is present in the codebase.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, finding the underscore t prefix is a great heuristic. But wait to even view those declarations in the first place, we have to extract the structure from the compiled binary, right, Because we aren't just reading flat text files here.
Speaker 2: No. No, we rely on a command line utility called class dump For that class dump. Yeah, it parses the MACO file format, specifically targeting the objective C run time segments. So it extracts the class headers, which basically gives you the definitions of the objects, the properties, and the methods that were compiled into the app.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it.
Speaker 2: But one really crucial operational note for anyone trying this, you always want to use the most updated fork of the tool. It's often maintained under the name class dumps.
Speaker 1: Class dumps with an S.
Speaker 2: Why is that Because the older iterations of it they just choke and crash when they hit the complex metadata structures generated by modern Swift compilers. They just can't handle it.
Speaker 1: So using class dump is essentially like I don't know, carrying the table of contents out of a book before you read the chapters. Like you get the structural outline without having to process the actual narrative flow.
Speaker 2: That's a perfect analogy. It gives you the entire taxonomy of the application at a glance.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can definitely see the value in mapping the taxonomy, But I got to push back slightly here. If we're only looking at headers and method signatures, how much intent can we actually infer? I mean, a table of contents doesn't necessarily reveal a malicious plot.
Speaker 2: Right You would be amazed at how much intent is broadcast through class names alone. Wait really, oh absolutely? When parsing those dumped headers, malware analysts are actively hunting for specific high risk delegate.
Speaker 1: Methods like what's a red flag?
Speaker 2: Take handle open url for instance, Okay, spotting that immediately tells you the application is registering custom URL schemes, which means it's designed to be invoked by other apps or by weblinks.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see it's a doorway exactly, It's a potential ingress point that immediately expands the attack surface. Yeah, because of listening for inbound URLs. It could be you know, receiving command payloads from somewhere else. What other system interactions are we filtering for when we look at these headers.
Speaker 2: Well, we always map the UI application delegate that helps us understand the app's core life cycle hooks like what does it do on launch? What does it do when it's pushed to the background. But the real red flags they often appear around web views.
Speaker 1: Web views okay, so loading web pages inside the app.
Speaker 2: Precisely, we actively hunt for UI WebView delegate or its modern equivalents alongside NSR request.
Speaker 1: So finding a UI WebView delegate combined with those request classes means the application isn't just operating in a vacuum. It has the actual plumbing to render remote web content internally or I guess exfiltrate local data out to a remote server.
Speaker 2: You nailed it. It confirms a pathway to the Internet.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so just from the headers, we know it can talk to the outside world exactly.
Speaker 2: So now we've established the app's internal capabilities. But you know, modern iOS applications, even the highly malicious ones, they rarely reinvent the wheel. They rely on external frameworks to execute complex.
Speaker 1: Tasks, which brings us to external dependencies. We have to map out what the app intends to load into memory at runtime. This transitions us to two specific command line utilities, right otool and NM.
Speaker 2: Yes, so otool is widely considered the fundamental utility for inspecting Apple Maco binaries.
Speaker 1: The Swiss Army knife basically.
Speaker 2: Pretty much it reads the load commands that are embedded right in the binary header, and those commands dictate exactly how the operating system should map the executable into memory. Okay, but the command flag you'll lean on most heavily here is O tool.
Speaker 1: Dash L and that's a capital L right, which flags the tool to enumerate all the dynamically linked to libraries the binary requires to actually function, right, and.
Speaker 2: The output there gives you the exact paths to every single shared library. Now, often you'll just see standard system paths right, like Apples Foundation or UIKit frameworks.
Speaker 1: Totally normal stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, boring stuff. But the critical anomalies you want to look for are dynamic paths, specifically ones heavily utilizing the at our path.
Speaker 1: Variable at our path the run path search path. That is a highly abusable mechanism from what I understand, because it tells the dynamic linker to resolve the library path relative to where the application is currently running, rather than relying on a hard coded absolute system path exactly.
Speaker 2: And malware authors heavily leverage at our paths to sideload malicious dynamic libraries.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. By packaging a compromised dialib within the app's own directory structure, they can basically trick the app into loading their malicious code instead of a legitimate system library.
Speaker 1: That is an elegant way to obscure the malicious payload until the application actually spins up in memory it's hiding in plain sight, it really is okay. So, once otol has given us that dependency map and showed us where it's looking for external code, we shift to analyzing the symbols with MM.
Speaker 2: Right, because while otool can dumps symbols, if you use specific flags like dash, ODAV and M is explicitly built for this. It parses and displays the symbol table of a binary.
Speaker 1: And just clarify for everyone. The symbol table contains the names and addresses of all the functions and global variables the program uses, right, including the ones it expects to find. Those dynamic libraries we just mapped out exactly. So if O'Toole tells us where the app is looking for external code, and M tells us what specific functions it plans to call from that code, right.
Speaker 2: You are looking at the unresolved references left behind by the developer. It essentially becomes a targeted hunting expedition. At that point, you dump the symbols and you filter for high risk system calls.
Speaker 1: Give me an example of that. What's a specific symbol that spikes your threat radar during static analysis?
Speaker 2: Oh, A prime example is MEMCPI, MENPI Okay, it's a standard C library function for moving blocks of memory, but it notoriously lacks boundary checking.
Speaker 1: Ah, I see where this is going.
Speaker 2: Right. If we observe a binary aggressively utilizing mengpie, especially if it's doing it in close proximity to network socket operations or parsing untrusted data, we're very likely looking at the foundational mechanics of a buffer overflow exploit.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so that's a huge red flag.
Speaker 2: A massive one. We also actively scan for functions like c trace, which malware frequently uses to detect if it's being monitored by a debugger.
Speaker 1: Sneaky. Okay. So at this point, the internal blueprints are map, the dynamic libraries are enumerated, and the simple tables are parsed. We have a lot of data, but so far we're just looking at lists of metadata and function pointer, just pieces of the puzzle exactly. To understand the actual execution flow, like the underlying logic of the malware, we have to translate the compiled binary back into something readable. We need the X ray machine.
Speaker 2: Yes, we need to pull back the curtain on the actual machine code. And this is where disassemblers like Hopper or Ida pro become completely indispensable.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They parse the compiled ARM sixty four op codes and they translate them back into human readable assembly mnemonics.
Speaker 1: So a disassembler is essentially a universal translator. It takes the ones and zeros that only the processor understands and reconstructs the logic branches, the register assignments, and memory allocations exactly.
Speaker 2: And translating ARM sixty four architecture is incredibly complex, I mean, just due to the sheer volume of registers and the intricacies of its branching logic. But a tool like Hopper excels at making this approachable for analysts.
Speaker 1: And for those who haven't worked inside a dedicated disassembly environment. Hopper provides a really highly visual workspace. It isn't just a terminal window of scrolling.
Speaker 2: Texts none of all.
Speaker 1: You get a control flow graph which visually represents the code as branching blocks connected by logic pathways. You can literally see how an IFL statement splits the execution into different memory addresses.
Speaker 2: The visual representation is invaluable, I mean, it saves so much time. But honestly, the most powerful feature in Hopper for rapid static analysis is the strings window.
Speaker 1: The strings window.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it consolidates all the hard coded plaintext that's embedded anywhere in the buying area, which.
Speaker 1: Allows for immediate cross referencing. So if I run a search and Hopper for this string HTTP, I don't just see the text, right, I can use the cross reference feature the XRAS to jump directly to the exact memory address where that string is loaded into a register.
Speaker 2: Exactly that workflow. Right there is the core of static analysis. You find a suspicious string, you track its cross reference to a specific subroutine, and suddenly you are looking at the exact logic block responsible for, say xfiltrating data to a command and control server.
Speaker 1: That is incredible.
Speaker 2: And if reading raw ARM sixty four assembly proves two time consuming, which it offered does. Hopper features a pseudo code decompiler with a single click, it attempts to reconstruct the assembly back into a C like high level language.
Speaker 1: Which just accelerates the deep code analysis exponentially. Okay, so we have covered the conceptual framework. We've got the entire command line toolchain down. It's time to move from theory to application.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: We have an unanalyzed file sitting in our sandbox right now, and it is literally labeled malware dot IPA. We are going to execute a live zero knowledge takedown of this black box. Walk me through it.
Speaker 2: Okay. So the initial protocol for any unknown binary is generating a cryptographic hash. We need to check it against known threat intelligence databases.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm calculating the MD five and SAHA two hundred fifty six hashes of the file right now. See let's query virus Total and see what the global scanners say about this thing. Now, the results are completely negative, zero hits across all vendors. Virus Total has never seen it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we are dealing with a zero day here, or at least a highly targeted payload that just hasn't been widely distributed yet. Right. Threat intelligence is totally blind here, which means we have to rely entirely on our static analysis toolchain to figure out what this thing does. So let's pry it open.
Speaker 1: Okay. I'm unzipping the dot ipa archive and it reveals the standard iOS application bundle structure.
Speaker 2: Right. So, navigating into the payload directory, our first goal is to locate the primary MACO executable, but relying on the visual filenames in that directory is a really common pitfall.
Speaker 1: Oh why is that?
Speaker 2: Well, the outer wrapper might be named malware or something obvious, but the internal binary often utilizes a completely different naming convention just to avoid casual detection.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, So to find the definitive entry point, we shouldn't just guess. We query the infodot plist file using the plutal command, and by reading the cf bundle executable key, we bypass any of that directory obfuscation.
Speaker 2: So what does the property list say?
Speaker 1: Okay, looking at it now, it reveals the true executable is named no icon no icon. Yeah, no icon.
Speaker 2: Well that immediately implies a conscious effort at stealth.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Okay, we have our target binary. Let's pipe the strings command through GRIP and filter specifically for HTTP to see if this binary contains hard coded network infrastructure.
Speaker 2: We'll see what it's fit out.
Speaker 1: WHOA, The terminal output is massive. We are looking at a really dense list of domains, ip addresses, specific uripaths.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Despite being entirely unknown to the anti virus scanners, this application is hardwired to communicate with dozens of external endpoints.
Speaker 2: It's hitting a massive variety of infrastructure, which is very telling. This points toward either a domain generation algorithm for command and control or it's cycling through a hard coded list of drop sites to see what's active.
Speaker 1: Let's dig a little deeper into the broader string stump. Then what else is embedded in this binary?
Speaker 2: Okay, Filtering past all those URLs, we uncover some highly specific operational plaintext. Look at this, there are distinct references to an ad page component at page yeah. And more critically, we find strings querying for no icon update and active filepath checks looking for other dot IBA packages stored locally on the file system.
Speaker 1: Wait, looking for other apps. Let's synthesize those artifacts. We have aggressive network requests, references to ap tizing components, and mechanisms designed to search for and update secondary IYP of files. The primary binary is a stager. It's a dropper. It's designed to quietly pull down and install adware or you know more destructive secondary payloads in the background.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The behavioral profile strongly aligns with a dropper. But and this is key for a dropper to be effective on iOS, it has to persist on the device long enough to actually execute those secondary downloads.
Speaker 1: Which means it needs to avoid user detection.
Speaker 2: Right, it can't look suspicious.
Speaker 1: Let's check how it masks its presence. Returning to the plutal tool, I'll extract the cf bundle display name from the infodoup plus what did they name it? The developer has set the display name to passbook, masquerading as a legacy Apple Wallet component.
Speaker 2: That is incredible calculated.
Speaker 1: It really is, because if a user happens to glance at their battery usage or their network settings, seeing Passbook consuming resources isn't likely to trigger immediate alarm. It just blends right into the expected system noise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody questions pastbook. But the disguise actually goes deeper than just the display name. Let's extract the seaf bundle identifier from that same property list.
Speaker 1: Okay, pulling that up, the identifier is calm dot wheeling dot hidden dot icon dot onian dot launch.
Speaker 2: The developer naming conventions are surprisingly brazen.
Speaker 1: There seriously hidden icon on launch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the critical element is the configuration flag attached to that bundle identifier. Look at the status flag. It is explicitly configured to hidden hidden.
Speaker 1: So wait, by manipulating that specific property list key, the application is instructing the iOS springboard demon which is the process responsible for managing the home screen UI. Right. Yeah, it's instructing it to completely ignore the app's existence.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what it's doing. The icon is literally never rendered on the screen.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It achieves near perfect persistence purely through a UI configuration trick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is nothing for the user to tack and crucially, there's nothing for the user to long press and delete.
Speaker 1: Wow. It operates as an invisible, silent stager. That is brilliantly devious. Well, okay, there's one final artifact we need to map for this profile. What language was this dropper compiled from?
Speaker 2: Good question. So we execute total dash L against the no icon binary, and we filtered the dynamic library output for any reliance on Swift foundation frameworks.
Speaker 1: Right, looking for that underscore t signature exactly.
Speaker 2: We are checking for that name mangling signature in the symbols as well, and the results entirely void. There are no Swift dependencies and the classheaders show zero Swift taxonomy.
Speaker 1: So the dropper is written entirely in pure objective C completely which structurally that makes a lot of sense. I mean, if your goal is to build a stealthy dropper that can maximize its compatibility across older, potentially vulnerable iterations of iOS. Writing it in objective c ensures it can execute without requiring modern runtime environments.
Speaker 2: Exactly you wanted to run on as many devices as possible. Yeah, and that takedown right there is a perfect illustration of the methodology.
Speaker 1: It really is. We approached an entirely undocumented zero day threat and without ever risking execution. We mapped its C two infrastructure, identified its true executable, uncovered its stager functionality, and analyzed its UI evasion techniques.
Speaker 2: It just proves that a disciplined, structured approach to static analysis can force any binary to revealed core architecture.
Speaker 1: He just had to know where to look, absolutely so. To synthesize the toolkit for everyone listening, we utilized class stump to extract the objective C run time taxonomy and headers. We leveraged O tool to map the macho load commands and external dynamic libraries, paying special attention to that at our path abuse. We employed enronment to parts the symbol tables for exploitable C functions. We vitualized the ARM sixty four control flow graphs using Hopper, and finally we extracted strings and propertyless configurations to completely dismantle a live dropper.
Speaker 2: A very successful mission definitely.
Speaker 1: Now to lock in this methodology, let's run a rapid review scenario for you listening pop quiz. If you suspect a newly intercepted iOS application is covertly rendering remote web content, which command line utility provides the dependency map and what specific class header validates that web functionality, Well, you would.
Speaker 2: Run O tool dash L to map the dynamic library dependencies, and you would parse the class dump output, specifically hunting for the UI WebView delegate.
Speaker 1: Class spot on. Now, the mechanics of our takedown today highlight just how effectively malware can weaponize standard configuration files like the info dot plist to achieve total invisibility on a device.
Speaker 2: It's scary how simple it can be.
Speaker 1: It is, but as we master these manual static analysis techniques, we have to acknowledge that the defensive landscape is fundamentally shifting beneath us. I mean, we just spent this entire session manually tracing op codes, cross referencing strings, and parsing macoheaders.
Speaker 2: Right, taking it step by step.
Speaker 1: But consider the current trajectory of large language models. We are rapidly approaching an inflection point where you could just feed a fully compiled, highly obfuscated MACO binary directly into a specialized AI model. Oh wow, and the AI will instantly decompile the ARM sixty four architecture map, the control flow graphs, cross reference the network infrastructure, and output a comprehensive zero day behavioral analysis in seconds, in seconds, seconds. It completely automates the meticulous manual detective work we just covered, So it begs the question, as AI effortlessly unravels even the most sophisticated compiled binaries, will human reverse engineers be rendered obsolete or simply elevated to architects of entirely new automated defense paradigms.
Speaker 2: Man it is a profound paradigm shift. The barrier to deep technical analysis is dissolving, which means the speed of both offense and defense is about to accelerate exponentially.
Speaker 1: It is a transformative horizon to keep your eyes on. But until then, master the fundamentals, trust the architecture over the interface, and keep diving deep