Speaker 1: This show is produced and hosted by Mark Webber. The show is sponsored by G three of Parow. The views expressed in the following program are those of the sponsor and not necessarily the opinion of seven tenor or iHeartMedia. Who is Mark Weber. He's a self made business executive here to help you find your success from the New York City projects to the Avenue Montaigne in Paris. His global success story in the luxury world of fashion is inspirational. He's gone from clerk to ceo twice. Mark his classic proof that the American dream is alive. And well, here's your host of Always in Fashion, Mark Weber.
Speaker 2: Mark Weber.
Speaker 3: Just in case you missed it, there's a new sheriff in town. I'll come back to that. I'm always recalibrating, remastering, rehearsing, reconsidering. There's a famous quote credited to Winston Churchill. It stated that he said the smodest man I ever met was my tailor, for every time he met me, he remeasured me. I remeasure myself all the time. I take a relook, I have a rethink. I wonder about the decisions I'm making. I often rethink that which I believe. I have to admit rethinking is not always of strength. I'm human. I have my concerns, I have my doubts. I will point out, though that the most foolish of people I've ever met are often wrong, but never in doubt. It's healthy to have doubt. But a second look, a chance to reboot, a moment more of thorough Another question to asked is another chance. Now I have to tell you I am quick. I am super quick. I'm quick on the drawer. My mind is so fast that it may be my best attribute. I can get from here to there very, very quickly. Therefore, I recognized early on I need to regulate my decision making. It's too fat, too fast. I wonder I need a just in case mechanism, a technique for assuring I'm measured in my approach to the world. It's a way to tell me slow down, mark, not to smell the flowers, but to make sure I see them and I think about them. I've met so many people that are ready fire aim with this in mind. There's just tons of mistakes because they're ready and firing be before they think we need ready aim, fire, and then chances for hitting the target exceeds any of the others. We meet people, we make judgments quickly. For me, it's in the eyes. I look at a person's eyes and I already know what I think of them from there, based on who I am. I go right to the shoes. I think shoes are a window to the soul, if your pardon the pun. I think shoes tell you a lot about a person. And then, of course it's the overall package that gives you an idea who you're talking to. But instantly I make a judgment. Yet the words when a spot to speak, can make all the difference in the world, and in worldly terms, it's recognized and we all heard, and we all know we can't judge a book by its cover. I've been involved in purchasing companies and acquiring the assets, taking over the management making the decisions. It's so easy when you know the brand, you see the pretty pictures, you understand the positioning. Then you hear management's point of view on the strength of the company they're trying to sell you, we have to think, why are we purchasing it. I'm cynical, so it's easy to say when I listen to their speeches, I start by thinking they're lying because the lips are moving. Now, that is unfair, But I have to admit I'm there to doubt to make sure I know what's doing. I'm listening to people's opinion as to what's going on in the company and why they're selling it. But in reality, what I need to know, or I need to have known, are the details. Looking at the reports, drilling down on the questions, looking for inconsistencies, understanding what's working, understand what's not, and determining what course of action to take. For if in fact we buy the company, if the company needs repositioning, we need to know what we need to do. We need to know the value, what should we pay for the company? Therefore taking the time, going the extra mile, going the distance, slowing down, learning and comprehending, and then of course executing. So just in case is what I look to do. Just in case is in fact tonight's show, and just in case I want the show to be best, I bring on now my lawyer, my co host, my son Jesse Webber. Hey, there, what.
Speaker 2: An interesting thought. If you think about it, the world would be a lot better if people took a moment to think about what they did before they did it? Right? I cover what do I do? I cover crime all the time. I cover politics on my shows. Can you imagine if criminals maybe thought about the consequences before their actions. Some of them don't care, some of them do. That's while a lot of them there's evidence that they tried to hide their crimes beforehand. They are its intent, they know what they're about to do. It would be a better world, though, if people had a full grasp of the impact of their decisions. You always say, you throw a pebble in the water, you see the ripple effects. A lot of times people don't realize that they're too short sighted. But my gosh, politics this week, I think it was all about thinking before you're talking, right. Would you agree with me on that?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? I was all set to talk about Zelenski and I will, and then came the state of the Union and I want to talk about that. And then I thought, well, what do you and I bring to the table that a thousand pundits before us haven't done. And I think, just in case a slow down and recap and think about what we're gonna do, maybe we have something to say. So if it's Okay with you, Jesse, I'd love to know what you think about what happened with Zelensky this week.
Speaker 2: I want to start with Zelensky. Okay. It was very clear to me this was a power play because there's nothing that Donald Trump and his administration want more than for this war to end. Obviously they want the killing in the bloodshed to stop, but also for them to tack on the achievement of being responsible for ending this war is huge for them. And so for essentially kicking Zelensky out, saying he was rude, giving his lunch to reporters, and then now after the meeting taking away military aid to Ukraine, this is all trying to put pressure on him to engage in a ceasefire. And what has already happened is Zelenski, it's being reported, wrote a letter, a conciliatory letter to Donald Trump, basically saying I'm willing to give into it because we all know that even if he has support from Europe, he still needs support from the US. And I think you talk about short you talk about the long term consequences of it. Obviously, if you have a ceasefire would be great. The problem is what are the long term costs consequences. Is Russia have to make any compromises? Are there any assured guarantees that they won't move forward with an attack? I guess one way of looking at it is right, if the United States and Ukraine enter into a mineral deal and you have US officials and you have US companies in Ukraine, would be less likely than Russia would take some sort of attack at a Ukraine. Maybe, But I just feel I understand why he wants it to happen. But this was all a major power plan. I have to say. Look, Zelenski tried to correct the record on some misinformation, tried to fight for his people, but he went in there and I don't know what he was thinking he was going to gain by doing that and going on the offensive against Trump and the Vice president. I thought that was really bold.
Speaker 4: Of him to do. You want my opinion, Yeah, what's your opinion? I'm going to come at it from a different point of view. And I don't remember whether anybody tackled this, but I would tell you the issue is I guess I'll start with a question. I know what you're going to say. Who wins the negotiation?
Speaker 2: Jesse? It's the party who has the power to walk away.
Speaker 3: I could rest my case right there. Zelenski came in and he started dictating terms to Trump. He disrespect advance. He thought he was the power player in this whole thing. He thought, because the US was behind him, that he had all the cards. As Trump said that he was the power player. Now, I'd stop for a second and say, I don't know enough about the man except to say I admire him. I admire his courage. He seems to have great leadership in fighting this war, and he stood up and to be counted, and I really said it. I admire what he's done. I do believe that a war didn't have to take place between Putin and he. I thought it could be solved. I thought Russia's goals would have a port in the CRIMEA. They want a war report for their navy, and that's the only thing they cared about, and they didn't want anybody else joining NATO that would block his access to the things he needed. I don't think he was doing this because he wanted to acquire more rity. I think the West made a lot of mistakes and poked him in the eye one too many times, and that's what started this, But to me, it's all about negotiating. And Zelenski came into this negotiation as if he had the power moves. He had nothing. He had nothing, And the reality is he's losing the war. Does anybody believe he's gonna win? What is the price for winning? Killing people every day?
Speaker 2: The counter argument to that would be, if you do nothing, then what is to stop Russia from going into another country and then another country.
Speaker 3: His job is not to fight Russia for the rest of the world. His job was to fight Russia for himself, to come up with some kind of plan that would have protected his people. Now the numbers are crazy. Tens of thousands people dying, hundreds of thousands of people, millions of people. I was in the studio the other day and one of the corporate execs from iHeartMedia asked me what I thought about what happened with Zelenski and the President, and I said to him, Look, there are times when Donald Trump's dos things that I don't agree with, I don't like, I don't think it suits him. When he started talking about Obama giving sheets and he gave Javelin missiles, it didn't need to be said. Put the Obama stuff aside. Trump's position has been I don't want any more people dye. Unfortunately, in this world, every one of us experiences tragedy. Someone in their family dies, either too young or they live to a ripe old age. But people pass. But every time someone does, it's a hardship. It's devastating. Families get broken over these things, their heartbroken. Could you imagine a country with one hundreds of thousands of people dying, young people dying in both sides, in Russia and the Ukraine. It is unfathomable. What's going on and what's the endgame here? Can they possibly beat Russia? And frankly speaking, let's just say, for the moment, I believe in the industrial military complex. Let's just for the moment say and I do to a degree that I'm a businessman, and if a big business of the United States is weapons, I'd love the idea of making weapons and shipping them to countries for defensive purposes. The more weapons we ship to a given country, the more powerful they are, the more reluctant their enemies are to attacking them. So in that way of thinking, I like the fact that money's being made here. And as a deterrent. But the reality is, if this keeps going on, is there any chance that Zelensky could win this move? The answer, I don't believe. So he walked in like he had the old cards. He thought he had Trump around a barrel. He thought he could dictate whatever he wants, and he couldn't because in Trump's mind, he's one of the great negotiators. He's the new sheriff in town. He doesn't want this war to continue. And for the reasons at least, he's stating I don't want people dying in him. I applaw him one thousand percent. I'm in his corner one thousand percent. Now Europe lining up, what is their goal? All of them supporting Zelenski? What is the end? So in the end for me, stop this war. Zelensky, you have nothing to say. As much as I admire you, as much as you've rallied your people, You've been an amazing leader, but it's now the time to sit down and think about what am I doing going forward. That's my take.
Speaker 2: Look, you make a good argument. I don't know where it's gonna go. I think that it was quite a scene. Have you ever seen anything like that? And by the way, by the way. By the way, I thought it was really interesting. Did you catch it when Vance was like, you're, mister President Zelensky, you're litigating this in the media. You want everybody to see this. And Trump stepped in he goes, actually liked it. This is happening. I want everybody to see why this is happening. And he's like, Okay, you're right, mister President.
Speaker 3: Look Trump, I'm going to talk about him in a little while. The end result here is is he who can walk away wins Zelenski overplayed his hand. He can't walk away without the United States. This is over quicker than he ever dreamed, and he won't get as good a deal. So I think I've covered that, and now I want to talk a little bit about the president and the State of the Union.
Speaker 2: Was it the State of the Was it the State of the Union, or was just a his first address to Congress?
Speaker 3: I don't know which was it. I don't think he said he did it five times.
Speaker 1: Ummmmmm.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was a State of the Union.
Speaker 3: Oh maybe you're right, you're looking at it.
Speaker 2: I'm looking it up. I don't know if they Yeah, I don't think it was a state of the Union per se. I think it was, but I don't know. Maybe I could be wrong, but it was something.
Speaker 3: It was something I am incredibly impressed with where the country is right now. There is an energy in the United States that hasn't been here for at least four years, maybe eight. I am impressed, maybe twelve since Trump's first presidency. There is an energy. I've talked about it before when I went for my first interview at LVMH and I met with Bernard Arnaud, the founder of LVMH, the world's largest luxury company, one of the richest men in the world. And I had a meeting with him, and I won't go through all the details, but we got together and his first question to me was Mark, what do you bring to a company? And I said to him, mister Arnaut, I bring energy. I bring energy to a company. I don't know where that answer came from. To this day, I am so pleased with myself, in shock with I came up to an answer, and I can tell you I saw it in his face the moment I said that I had the job. You want to talk Earlier, I talked about being impressionable and just in case I believe I had the job from that one answer, and of course I handle myself well throughout the rest of the interview. So when I look at the President, the first thing I say is he brought energy to our country and why he's made it clear that there's a new sheriff in town. Do you know, Jesse, here's one for you. I've read about this. Do you know sheriff badges have six points? And more importantly, do you know what all those six points stand for? Now? Ah? Well I do. I looked at it. I read it when I thought about him being this new sheriff in town. Integrity, courage, professionalism, service, commitment, and respect. Now, of course they also have to apply the law. But when I thought about those six things and I thought about Trump in the address he gave this week, I think he earned all those categories. He came in. He's trying to do the right thing, but he's doing it with a great deal of courage in changing everything that there is in front of us. And I love the way he conducted himself in that speech the other day. He was professional, he was presentational, but what he was great he was in your face when he started looking at the Democrats, who were all sitting there glum. He started in and saying, this past administration blew everything. They were useless. We are changing America. We're taking America back again, America. This is now going to be the Golden Age. Everything that was isn't anymore. And then here's the things that we're going to do now. I don't I guess the rest of the world picked it up right away the way I did. I'm watching the points he's making, and the entire Republican delegation elected to Congress stands up and is imploding. And none of the Democrats are imploring. None of them are standing up. And I'm saying to myself, what's going on here? You know, if they don't like, if they don't like eliminating DEI, how could they not stand up for the fact that immigration illegal immigration has trickled down to five percent, it's down ninety five percent? Then it was how could they not stand up and applaud that? How could they not stand up and applaud the waste that's been found in the government. And I'm watching this and I'm saying, to myself, what is Trump thinking? He's gotta be seeing what I'm seeing when he learned over and he looked at them and he said, it doesn't matter what I do. None of you going to stand up and applaud None of you have anything that you're gonna appreciate. I say, I'm wasting my time, said, if I discovered the cure to cancer, you wouldn't stand up and do it. I loved him that. It proves what a great communicator he is. It proves that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: How great was it when he called Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas day. Yeah, And then the camera went to her and she looked incredibly angry.
Speaker 3: What about Nancy Pelosa? She wasn't standing behind him ripping up his speeches this time. She looked like a church mouse.
Speaker 2: Look. I mean, can I give you my perspective absolutely. My perspective is the Democrats of their own worst enemy. They looked incredibly, incredibly weak. The Democrats who are going to do well in the future, who want people to come into their party, are the ones who have to look at the things that Trump administration is doing and give them credit for and try to work toward cooperation. They have disagreements, fine, but the ones are going to succeed are the ones that look reasonable, right, and so the fact that they didn't even stand up at certain key moments, even when there was a sick child in the audience, and that whole thing. But I think the other way of looking at it is two things can be true at once. You could say Donald Trump was very strong, the Democrats look weak. But but let's also be intellectually honest. Donald Trump was making a lot of claims and not all of them were one hundred percent accurate. So if you see opposition or you see people saying that's not true, you also have to be an honest broker about that. I think there were things that he was over exaggerating, and it depends upon how much people care about it or not, but there is something to be said. He was over exaggerating certain things.
Speaker 3: New sheriff in town gets to say what he wants to say. How about the Democrats holding up those stupid signs was more importantly back to the six points on the star. Respect. They absolutely have no respect for other people's opinions. They had their chance, the country voted against them. They went too far left. Everyone knows that. Everyone I think you would learn I found did incredibly disrespectful that they couldn't find common ground at all. I saw what's his name, Ted Cruz. I saw Ted Cruz from Texas on I think Fox News. Afterwards, I was changing the channels. He said, it's the first time in a historical memory that a president addressed Congress and the other party stood up for nothing. He said, you know, there are times I'm sitting there listening to former Democratic presidents speak, but I stand up for those things that are right. You know, Jesse, this show, you go back five years ago, long before Donald Trump decided to run for office. Okay, I had a thing that common sense was not so common. I talked about the problem with common sense and business and common sense at work. It isn't common, it doesn't exist. What we saw this week was no common sense. Back to negotiating, Zelenski no common sense in his negotiation. He could not win the Democrats right now, cannot win now when you talk about voters, if they want to get voters again, Look, as long as you're a Democrat in this country, you're gonna get seventy million votes. There's no question about it. You could stand for all the wrong things. It doesn't matter what you stand for, what you do you're gonna get votes, but to win. That's where I agree with you. They lost the center of the country because that's who we are. You have people on the right, have people on the left. You agree, you don't agree, But somewhere along the way, we've always been able to come together on these things. The whole Democratic Party is anti Trump on the Zelenski move. If you take away what Trump is saying, I want to stop the killing, and Zelensky's not going to win the war. What's the debate here, what's the negotiation? Get them the best deal they can. That's my take, that's my politics. Anything else you'd like to add, My young son.
Speaker 2: No, I think you nailed it. I think it's interesting time to say the least.
Speaker 3: New sheriff in town Sheriff's bands has six sides, six points. They all stand for the following integrity, courage, professionalism, service, commitment, and respect. Just in case you didn't know that, I thought i'd share it with you back in a minute.
Speaker 1: Always in fashion, I.
Speaker 3: Spent a lifetime of my career building the van Usen brand, and I am so pleased that they're back with us now. Talking about suits, men were dressing up again and it's become cool to wear a suit. Suits can be won on multiple occasions in multiple ways. You could wear a suit formally to go out at night or to an event, to wear a suit to the office with or without a tie. If you look closely now fashion trends, suits are being worn with turtlenecks or mark next. The choices are endless and every one of them looks right. You could really really look the part. I believe that packaging yourself this is important. Does the products you package and wearing a suit is one of those things that make men look their best. Venuesing invented a new idea. It's called the cool Flex suit. It's been engineered with stretch technology giving you the most comfortable fit and mobility. Its wrinkle resistant fabric, it's cool moisture WICKI it makes it perfect for all occasions. As we discussed just now, this new style of looking sharp while feeling cool and comfortable is amazing and I'm so excited that the ven Using company is involved in this new technology and is embracing the whole idea of dressing up. Let's not forget Venues and Maine it's the name with dress shirts it's only proper that the suit business follows strongly in its way. You can find Vanues in Cool Flex Men's Stretch Suits Jcpenny or online at jcpenny dot com. Guys, they're great, you should go look at them. Donna Karen began her career as one of the finest, most successful, powerful women in the fashion industry. She developed a collection aimed at the luxury market for women on the go, women who were powerful in their workplace, women who had lives that extended beyond the workplace, and her clothes went from day and tonight. An extraordinary collection. But the interesting thing Donna Karen had a young daughter, and she had friends and they couldn't afford to buy the Donna Aaron collection. And Donna invented DKNY Donna Aaron New York. It's an offshoot of the Donna Karen collection. The same concept a lifestyle brand. Now we talk about lifestyle brands, what does that really mean? Simply what they say, there are brands that follow you throughout your lifestyle. You get up in the morning, you start to get dressed. Donna Karen decan why as intimate apparel, as hosiery, as all those products, getting dressed for work, you get accessorized shoes, handbags, and it takes you through the day. The remarkable thing about DK and Y clothes for work they work into the evening. The dresses, the suits, the pants, the sweaters, the blouses, extraordinary clothes at affordable prices that go from day in tonight. Part of your lifestyle is active. You have weekends, you have events, you participate in sports. Donna Karen's casual clothes did that under the DK and Y label. A vast array of casual sportswear that make women look great as they navigate their busy lives. Whether you're going to soccer games for your children, or whether you're going out to the movies, whatever you want to do, dkn Y jeans, dc HY sportswear is there for you. That's what a lifestyle brand is. And I need to mention DKY active wear, which is extraordinary, the leggings, the sports bras, the sweats. You can wear d HY activewear certainly in the gym, certainly when you're working out at home, and certainly if you want on the street, because it's that well done. The quality of DK why is nothing short of exceptional. And why shouldn't it be because it was born from the idea of luxury made affordable for women of America. DK and Why a true lifestyle brand that takes you from day and tonight, from the week into the weekend, DCN Why. You can find DCN Why and Macy's DKY dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to it Always in Fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 3: Tonight's show is just in case, taking a moment to think about all those things you need to think about in order to be successful and not make mistakes. But I have to tell you when I'm really thinking about is loneliness. I have to tell you I'm lonely. I admit I have very little to do, but I don't have enough time to do it. But I do feel alone. And it got me thinking about the president, got me thinking about making decisions and being the CEO because I got a bunch of things going on with CEOs and CEO Exchange, a new show I'm trying to get behind and build. We'll talk about that in amendment. But I'm thinking about how lonely it is at the top, and that the wind blows hardest at the top of the mountain, and when you're the CEO and making decisions. It is a lonely, lonely place. Now think for the moment about tariffs, I would pretty much say, other than a handful, the whole world is against Trump and his tariffs. If I'm wrong, great, because it's unknown what's going on with tariffs right now. And I think we've broken it down before, and I want to break it down just a minute. If you listen to what's being said. A big part of the tariffs on China and Mexico and Canada have to do with that and all. And Trump is weaponizing tariffs and saying, if you don't stop the flow of fentonol into this country or the component parts that make it, we are going to tax the hell out of you in other categories to get even, and to make sure not to get even, We're going to tax the hell out of you on it many different products to bring you to the table and get you to do the right thing. I don't know if that will work. I don't know if connecting the dots there will work. I don't know why any country wouldn't say they would try and help maintain that law. And at the same time they said to Canada and Mexico, but Canada in particular, stop the border crossings in Canada. You got a huge border with the United States. We have a problem of illegal immigration. We want it to stop. Unless you do it, We're going to penalize you. That I get. I don't know if it works. But what are you thinking about tariffs? Not gonna you wanted to ask me something, jess what's.
Speaker 2: On your nd I can't tell if tariffs are good for the economy, whether or not they increase inflation. Maybe you have an answer to that.
Speaker 3: Well, the reason you can't tell is because nobody knows the answer. The reality is is long long ago when the first conversations about free trade happened. Really the conversation shifted from free trade to fair trade. If tariffs are put on our goods being shipped into Europe, like the vat tax in the UK, then why don't we do the same thing to them. It's a question about what's right. It's a question about integrity, and it's a question about fair Even though I don't believe in fair, it doesn't exist. I respect the President for trying to get parody. If he's trying to raise tariffs solely to get Americans to come back and build plants in the United States, and it's a mechanism to give them a helping hand. I like it, but it's going to cause problems. You have to find ways to ma make automobiles in this United States, and a lot of our competitors around the world do make automobiles yet. So there are things that make sense. But when you hear that the price of avocados is going to go up because of our trade war with Mexico, or you hear some of the other things, there is a very strong chance that prices are going to escalate. But the effectiveness on business may or may not work, and nobody knows the answer to be specific. Jesse I called a couple of people and asked them in the retail, luxury and fashion business. I said, if there's an additional twenty percent on China, what are you going to do? The answers varied, but I will tell you some of the people said, when Trump was in the president last time and he put tariffs on China, we resource goods to other countries. So a lot of what was the problem then has been fixed. Secondarily, today, if you raise prices on goods that are coming into the country now, there's not much room to move. You can't go to your customers and tell you I need you to pay more, and retailers are not going to raise their prices. So retailers will win. Somebody else is going to have to eat it. It's either going to be the manufacturers overseas in China and Mexico or the people importing them, those people with the brands selling these products. So unless you have time to work this through into next year, prices are gonna go up or someone's gonna make a lot less money. And that we don't know how it's gonna work. So again, it's a big negotiation. And that's what I think. So for me, I think the tariffs can work. I think if they're designed to get parody. You tax me on what I ship to you, I'm taxing you on what you shipped to me. That's good common sense. You better think about what you're doing in your country before you're goin to take advantage of us here. All the rest could be a little too massiacal, a little too machiavellian, But I leave Trump and his team to figure out what to do with it. But I was talking about being alone. And that's why one of the things that Trump's alone on being a CEO. As I said a moment ago, it is a very lonely place to be because the reality is you're making the decisions and nobody else is it's I was a president of PVH for seven years. I was on the board for seven years. I wasn't the CEO. And during that entire time when I was president, I cared about the company's success more than anyone. I worked as hard and as smart as anyone. I never slept. My mind was always on doing what was better for the company. But the reality was the board wasn't looking at me for the answers. The board was looking at the CEO, and the CEO would either make it his way or the highway, either he was successful or he wouldn't be there any longer. It's lonely to be a CEO. Now. I've been interviewed a million times, and one of the most interesting interviews along the way had to do with what it was like being a CEO. And the problem is there's no way to hide you're responsible. While you're the final judge and jury, you get judged. You're the only one in a company that is responsible. Now, if you're the CFO, the chief financial officer, and you make a wrong entry, if you do something that isn't right, you'll be held accountable. But the reality is the strategy of the company, the operating company down to the clerks, is all the responsibility of the CEO. He rests on him alone. And I was the president of the company with all the pressure sitting on the board, I knew that I wasn't responsible. He was, and it took a lot of the weight off of my shoulders. And it's just the way it is. I remember one of the best questions I was asked when I was CEO in those interviews is what is the toughest part about being CEO? I'll ask you that, Jesse, what do you think A.
Speaker 2: Lot of responsibility, a lot of things to keep on check, everybody reporting to you. When the bill, the buck stops with you. If something's not successful, it all comes.
Speaker 3: Back to you.
Speaker 2: You can't put the blame on anyone else, right.
Speaker 3: Well, we can argue that there are a lot of things that people might say, and I think that's a good choice for me. My answer you ready was communicating, because communicating is leadership. Once again, I referred to the President's speech this week. He was in command. He let the world know there was a new sheriff in town. He let the world know he had a vision. He let the world know what he was going to do. He was an amazing communicator that night. And when I was asked that question, I said that communication and communicating is the toughest thing a CEO has to do, and I explained that managing is a multi directional process. You need to manage upwards to your bosses, to your board, to your shareholders. Stakeholders. They need to know what you intend to do. They need to know how you're doing. At the same time, your leadership has to go sidews to your colleagues. They too have to step in line. They have to know why they're working, they have to know what they're trying to accomplish. Then you have to manage downwards to your staff, the people that do the day to day work, to ensure that they're on board. They understand what the prize is, they understand how you intend to get there and what you want to accomplish. And less but not least, you have to talk outward to your partners to your suppliers, and most importantly to your customers the consumers. What are you standing for? What are you promising? What are you going to deliver? Very very complicated to lead and have that whole thing communicated in a proper way that all those constituents know what you're thinking and of course your vision, what you plan to do differently, how you intend to get there. CEOs must lead, so I said, it is lonely being the CEO. Yes, they get the perks. I've also been asked, what's my favorite perk? Now that you mention it, you want to guess what that was, Jesse having.
Speaker 2: I think I know what the answer is. You want me to say it? If you do control over your schedule, time.
Speaker 3: Ah, you heard me say it before, You're right. You're right. The ability to plan my world out, travel when I want, go where I want, take whom I want with me, go alone. The control of time and the decision making acquired with that is one of the most gifted things I've ever had in my career, because up until then, any given day I have a plan of what I want to do. Anybody above me calls me and does me come down to their office. It gives me something else to do. I'm constantly being taken away from the job or the task at hand. When you're the CEO, your control of your time, unless, of course, there's an emergency. So the ability to do what you want when you want, your style, knowing the goal, knowing the prize was in my view, the greatest perk in the world. Now, having said all that, I'll make it clear. Yes, the CEOs get the big bucks. Yes, though the pressure, the responsibility, the risk to the future, the risk to the company is a heavy weight they have to carry. And yes I said it before. Being at the top, the wind at the top of the mountain blows the hardest, and that's what the CEO is contending with. So as I sit here and think about loneliness, I'll probably do a show on it. But I gotta tell you, knowing the pressure, knowing where to take to be successful, makes you think just in case, back in a moment.
Speaker 1: Always in fashions.
Speaker 3: As one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers, Carl Lagafeld was renowned for his aspirational and cutting edge approach to style. His unique vision of Parisian shit comes to America through Carlagofeld, Paris. He has women's collections, men's collections, ready to wear, accessory, shoes and bags. The fashion house Carlagofeld also offers a range of watches, I wear and premium fragrances. You can explore the car Lagofil collection at car Lagofelparis dot com. But it's more than that. I have, for one, love to shop. I love going around and seeing what's happening and what catches my attention, what would make me feel good to wear now. I don't wear the women's wear obviously, but I can appreciate it and they look amazing. If you want to look right, you want to have clothes that fits you well. You want to look like you're wearing something that's very expensive, that's exclusive for you and yours. You can find at very affordable prices at Macy's Orcarlagofel dot com Paris. The women's ready to wear fashion is extraordinary, as well as the handbigs and the shoes. I for one wear men's clothes, unlike my appreciation of women's clothes. I'm a modern guy. I want to look current. I want to look the way I want to feel. I go out at night. I'm in black and Carlagafel is my buddy. Clos are great, they fit great, and they have little tweaks and touches, whether it's a stripe on the sleeve or button at the neck or on the shoulder. There's a lot of details that go into Carlagathel because he's always been, he always had been one of the world's great designers, and this legacy and goes on and on. I can't speak enough about it except to say to you, you want to feel good about yourself. You want to know that you're dressing properly. You want to clothes that fits you well. Carl Lagafeld Paris, Carl Lagofeldparis dot com. I love polar fleece. It's lightweight, takes colors beautifully, It's comfortable, keeps you warm and even if it's warm out, it doesn't hamper you. It doesn't make you perspire. I love Polar fleece. I also love sweatshirts, the sweatpants, love them, love them, love them. I'm a big fan of khaki pants and a big fan of a golf clothes, and I'm a big fan of Izid. I used to be the head of ISID. In fact, my company bought it and out of bankruptcy, and the CEO of the company asked me to come in and fix it. And he said to me, Mark, the future of the company's in your hands. Can you do this? And I said, I will do it. I put everything, my heart and soul into making Eyeside the powerhouse that it is today.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I left a long time ago, and the company just continues to thrive. ISID is one of the great sweater maker's pants, make a shirt makers, knit shirt makers, Polar shirt makers. They're incredible company. The colors are great, the fabrics are great. Guys, do you ever wonder what you should wear? I'll make it easy for you. If you're going to be casual, go in and look at ISID. Now that doesn't say that they don't have dress shirts and they don't have suits. You go find them. ISOD is a colective brand that offers lifestyle apparel to everyone in America. And it's true it's a fun brand, but it's also priced at fun prices everyone can afford it. I love this brand. Of all the brands that I'm involved with, and you can name them, think about PVH and LVMH and all the brands. Isaac is the one that's most personal to me because I was involved in crafting the future of this brand. The close of great Fall is great. They're doing well. Isaad dot Com, isaadat jcpenny, go look for it. I think you're going to be very happy. And ladies, those of you the shopping for the guys in your lives, take a look. I think they'll be very happy with your choices.
Speaker 2: Isaad.
Speaker 1: For men, welcome back to it. Always in fashion.
Speaker 3: Here's your host, Mark Webber tonight's show. Just in case, Just in case, you want to be successful. I want to talk to you about something. I want to talk to you about what you do before you do it. I know how I prepare by myself for success, but before I go there. Jesse, you're on a lot of TV show and a lot of radio shows. In particularly you're on News Nation. You're a legal contributor. I only think of you as a host when you're hosting Dan Abrams Show or Chris Como's or Elizabeth Fargas or Ashley Banfield. I've seen you do them all. You grated it. I'm so proud of you. But I think of it for a second. Yeah, you're hosting Chris Cuomo's show. You got to be as good as Chris if you can be.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that guy. I love the way he's treated you. I love your back and forth with him. I'm really forever beholden too, Chris Cuomo for the way he's treated you at News Nation. Having said that you have to be as good as him? So what do you do to prepare when you know you're hosting his show?
Speaker 2: I have to First of all, I'm very active with the producers in every story, what's the angles we want to hit. I'm very fully researched on each part because I want to make sure that the conversations I have with the guests are intelligent, that we're thorough, that we're trying to get to points that maybe other sides aren't getting to. So I have to be as fully prepared. I don't just go in, read the prompter, read the questions, and walk out. Not those shows. So it's very important that I'm very prepared and researched as well as possible. And also I try to add something different. I try to add a little bit of my personality, which is different than anybody else's.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you're right on. And the part of the show that may be considered the fashion component, considering it's called always in fashion. I have a couple of things I want to talk to you about. In preparation for success, I joined companies where everybody is smart. Now, let me step back for a minute. When I was a PVH and part of the senior management team, there were twenty six of us, men and women. All it's the senior leaders of the company, all making the decisions, all doing what the board and the shareholders expected us to do. Was that we would build a company that would last a lifetime and we would grow between ten and twenty percent a year. That was the goal, and that's what we were committed to. And in order to do that, I looked around the room and I would say to you, of the twenty six people that were a PVHS, six or seven were truly brilliant. And I always used to look at them and say to myself, how do I compete with those seven? And how do I stand out amongst them? And here's a tip for you, Jesse touched it. I was prepared, and I'll tell you why. And I'll tell you what I did. First of all, I read everything that was to read. I knew people were busy. I knew that my competitors weren't reading Women's Wear daily every day. They weren't reading Memoir magazine every day. They weren't reading the New York Times fashion pages. Maybe some of them would touch it, maybe they'd watch it on the weekend. They all got too busy. They all there. I read everything. I read Forbes, I read BusinessWeek, I read all the articles I could possibly read. Yes, I looked at fashion magazines, Giku, Xi, Maxim. I did it all. And I felt that reading would give me the heads up because every time I read an article, I would know a little more than the next guy. To this day, I read articles. I send them to Jesse, I send them to my son Jared, who's in that business. I know that I was always ahead of the game. And you'd be surprised. As something you might have read on the cover of a magazine, everyone should have known. You would voice it as your opinion. Something you read, you'd look smarter than the rest. I was always always prepared. Another thing I always did was shop. To this day, even though the name of the show is always in fashion. It's the smallest component of what we talk about. But I got to tell you I am current on what's going on in the fashion, retail, luxury business. Why because I'm in the stores whenever I have free time. Now, the good news here is I don't work for a living. I do this tells me to speak. I shop when I walk in the stores. Again, whenever I used to go to board meetings, whenever I used to go to meetings with a senior manager of my company, I know I just walked through J. C. Penny. I know I spent time in Northstream. I knew I was in Macy's and I knew they weren't. So if they talked about a brand, Vince, that's a brand that some of you knew, some of you don't, Vince contemporary brand. I knew what Vince was doing, and I knew what looked well and I know what didn't look well. I knew what Sneakers were exciting. When I walked into one of the Sneakers stores Finish Line, you pick one, I knew what was happening. So I knew what was going on and active. So shopping always prepared me which brings me to story. I was running as part of lvmhor responsibility. One of the responsibilities was the chairmanship of Donna Karen dk why and we made a decision. I made a decision. To board agreed, Bernardo no agreed. The managing director, Antonio Bellon agreed to buy back our gene's license from an outside third party who was not doing well with it. Made the decision. It was one of the most remarkable meetings I ever had, and I had done all my research. I did research, I walked the store, I talked to the biggest accounts. I knew exactly what needed to be done. I started recruiting people looking for a president of that gene's company, figuring by the time we finished it, I would have a person in command. And I met a number of women, and I met a number of guys. But one woman, particularly in the early stages, really impressed me. Now, she spoke well, she was dressed well. I liked her shoes, which said to me she understood something about our business. Her whole package reeked to me a professionalism, and I liked what she had to say. She was a seller by heart. Now, there are many different kinds of people that can run companies. Let me just take a moment to tell you that I was a merchant. I understood product and I understood marketing. My predecessor, now, my predecessor was an operations guy. The person who succeeded me, PVH was a financial guy. You can see people from all walks of life become president and CEOs of company. This particular woman impressed me and we got down to the interview. She was sharp as could be, and I was impressed, and I was ready to hire her until I asked her one question. I said, what do you think about our stores? And she looked at me and she didn't answer me. I said, you know, we have two don account Collection stores in New York and I have six DKY Jeans store. What did you think about DKY store? And what do you think about the Jens? And she's quiet and said I didn't visit them. And I looked at it. I said, what do you mean you didn't visit them? She said, well, you know, I didn't have time. I had a prepare I was working. I knew I was coming here. I said, time out. You're coming to meet me the ceover company. You're interviewing for president of one of my divisions. I have six stores in DKY and New York City Town, Downtown, all around the city. You can have gone in anyway, and you didn't go in. She put her head down and said, I made a mistake. I said, you did so when I'm talking about being prepared, the fact that she was interviewing for a president level job. At that level, she didn't do what I just spent the last ten minutes doing, being prepared, knowing more than the next guy. She should have come in and said to me, I loved the stores. I hated the stores. I liked the store. It could have been done. I saw the jeens. You were missing this. I really appreciated your wide leg jeans. I thought the tops could have been better. I loved your sweater. I looked at the store. I watched the people working. There's a lot of traction in the store. While dkmy had so many products, the genes seemed to generate a lot of attention. I liked your price points, I liked the quality. I loved everything. After all, I'm a Jeens person. I understood that nothing, zero, nada. The interview ended right there, and because of as a gentleman. I didn't tell her she lost the job. I said to her, you know, with all due respect, maybe this is one of those lessons you can learn in life. Maybe this is important enough for me to stop and tell you. You're coming to me CEO. By you not shopping my stores, you're you're questioning my intelligence. It's not respectful, but you're questioning my intelligence. You're underestimating what I know. I could answer all those questions. I just asked you, and you come to me on an interview to be present. Says you're right. I have nothing else to say, and I said, I'll tell you what. I'll try and forget this. But I want you to go back shop the stores, and when you feel you have a good picture of it, I want you to come back and I'll meet with you again. Now I could have told her send me a report, but the good guy in me, the one who wanted to teach, thought she deserved the opportunity to sit in front of me again. And she did. She did much better. I told her she did. I said, look, you're one of a number of candidates. We're still going through the process. I thank you for doing what you just did. I hope you learned a lesson and we'll see where we go from here. She thanked me. She left. We never hired her. We found someone that I thought was much better, and unfrankly speaking, that was that was a defining moment that I don't think I could get over. But just for example, I mentioned before when I interviewed with Bernard Arnau for the CEO job at LVMH and the chairmanship of Donna Karen. I flew to Paris that day. When I arrived at two o'clock, I was jet legged, I was beat, but I went to every single store that was on Gallery Lafayette or the department stores to see how the brands were being treated. I want to see if Eton would be in print on well Gallery Lafayette. I wanted to know exactly. So when I sat down with Bernard Arnaud, the chairman of the company, I was prepared. I did this just in case he asked me those questions, and tonight's show is just in case. I did all this work just in case he would have asked me something that I didn't expect to be asked. If he asked me my opinion, I would have one just in case he had a specific question, and he would ask me, what did you think of the Denhim handbag that was in the window of the Vton store on Avenue Montaigne. I would have the answer just in case. I was prepared, and I said earlier the first question he asked me, what do I bring to a company, mister Orno, I bring energy and I'm all about energy. With that, I wish you good night. I hope you enjoyed the show. Talk to you soon.