Speaker 1: The Fiber McGhee and Molly Show every weekday. At this time, NBC brings you Fever. McGee and Mollie transcribed. The show was written by Phil Leslie and Ralph Goodman and directed by Max Happo. Fibber and Maley will be with you in a minute. Here's something most of us have to think about sooner or later. Retirement. You know, it can be a long vacation, carefree and gay, or it can be a long ordeal, depressing and uncertain. It all depends on how well you've planned for it. A lot of folks are, including United States savings bonds and their retirement plans. Smart people. They know that savings bonds are a safe, sound, sure investment. They know they'll get back four dollars for every three dollars they put in, one hundred dollars for every seventy five dollars invested when those bonds mature, and you know that happens in less than ten years. Of course, savings bonds can now be held beyond their maturity date at further interest. The highest rate it's ever been three percent interest compounded semiannually for as long as ten years beyond the maturity date of the bonds. Start planning for your retirement. Now you'll discover you'll feel more secure tomorrow if you buy United States Savings bonds today. The mailman has just left another batch of Christmas cards at seventy nine. Whistil this to this morning, and and missus McGhee are happily looking the mover.
Speaker 2: Don't you lot to get Christmas cards? McGee?
Speaker 3: Sure do?
Speaker 2: Look at this one from the tuopses picture of a big holly reason.
Speaker 1: It says, hope you.
Speaker 2: Have a Christmas wreathed in happiness.
Speaker 3: Here, isn't that suit? Yeah? Oh hey, here's a big fancy card.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, oh my, somebody must really like it. That's a lovely winter scene, isn't it. Who's a prom?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: It opens up you see, Oh poetry.
Speaker 3: May you have every Christmas joy through winter, spring and summer to send your cares all down the drain. Call John, the Oak Street plumber.
Speaker 2: Oh isn't that sweet?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: I think we ought to answer that McGee. John might feel hurt if he doesn't get a Christmas greeting from us. I'll write him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do that, You're write.
Speaker 2: Him, I think I'll say, Dear John, Yeah, dear John letter.
Speaker 3: We called you on last.
Speaker 2: New Year's Day.
Speaker 3: You charge twelve bucks a trip. The think reminds us till of you. It's such a constant drip. That's great. You want to write that to him? Or shall I call him up and read it to him on the phone.
Speaker 2: No, neither one.
Speaker 3: It's Christmas Eve. Yeah, besides, we might need him again.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I better check over the gifts again though.
Speaker 3: Before we come in.
Speaker 4: Christmas care season.
Speaker 3: Gree Oh hi, old timer, Hey Christmas.
Speaker 2: He's greeting to you, mister old timer, god bye to bring you a peasant kid.
Speaker 3: Well, gee, whiz, you shouldn't have done it.
Speaker 4: I take it back.
Speaker 2: Oh no, then never mind, thank you very much. Nice a beautiful package.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big one too. Oh here, we got a peasant for you too, old timer?
Speaker 4: Hey, I attle one, ain't it? Thanks?
Speaker 1: Honey?
Speaker 2: How though?
Speaker 4: Probably lovely?
Speaker 2: I hope you like it.
Speaker 4: Oh. I love the holidays kids. Christmas Eve always puts me in mind of the fun I used to have when I was a kid with that old gang of mine, the old gang. Huh yep, gee, but I did the world to see that old old guy. Sure was the great old gang. Kids, That old gang of mine. You used to squad every year singing Christmas.
Speaker 3: Carol who always in your crowd?
Speaker 4: Very exclusive groups hunt all that. There was Johnny and Pete and Marny and Skeet. There was Eddie and Slim and Teddy and Mara Belle Kloper horn there a Belle Klooper or I'll see get in the needed her for harmony. Johnny, you had a fine, rich baritone. Myra did. Rest of the gang was boy sopranos. She sang aloud only Christmas Daughter used to sing the silent nights aloud. We was harsh the rest of the year. We did have fun. Kids, Me and the whole gang were together all the time. I tell you we were insufferable.
Speaker 2: I can imagine.
Speaker 4: And then, as so often happens to good friends and proof, a woman came between us. Yep, a woman busted up that whole gang of mine. Who was it? Mama moved out of town and took me with hers along.
Speaker 3: Kids, marry me Christmas all time.
Speaker 1: There's more fun with the McGhee Shortley. One of the outstanding characteristics of a democracy is the right of each individual. We go to worship according to his conscience and his beliefs. The churches of America symbolize the belief of many the through community worship we can gain the moral strength and courage to lead a good life. They symbolize the important role which religion has played in the shaping of our nation. Each day, thousands turned to their religious leaders for personal guidance and for material help. Without religion, many of these people would have nowhere to turn in their hour of need. All of us recognize the important role played during the war by chaplains of all faiths in helping our soldiers to adjust the military life. Thus, it is manifest that religion is an important part of the moral fiber of America. It was the need to worship which drove our forefathers to leave their native lands and come here. Let us not forget the importance of the church in our lives. Let us, through recognition of moral and spiritual hungers, guide ourselves and our families toward a way of life which bespeaks peace and harmony and goodwill toward all mens.
Speaker 3: What do you think the old timer gave us big package?
Speaker 2: I don't know, we'll open it tomorrow. I hope he likes the pipe and tobacco.
Speaker 1: We give him. Well he better like it.
Speaker 3: I looked all over town to find a bargain like that. You can't hardly find a corncob pipe the day. Wonder who this is?
Speaker 5: Come in name mister mcga, Miss mcgame, Marry Christmas?
Speaker 1: Well happy you tied?
Speaker 3: Merry Christmas?
Speaker 2: Tiny, Come on in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I came to bring your presence. It's for both of you, and I made it here.
Speaker 3: Oh you made it.
Speaker 1: Jeez.
Speaker 3: That's a beautiful press, lovely package, just beautiful. Well, what could be in it?
Speaker 5: A washwag? It's a simply just lovely washwag. And I made it in school, oh, because we were any high in it and all of us kids were inning saxony. My sacks came out of washwag.
Speaker 2: Oh well it's just what we needed. Oh sure it is an gile washwag.
Speaker 5: You can both music.
Speaker 3: Well, we just don't know how to thank you.
Speaker 4: Tiny.
Speaker 2: We have a little present for you too, Honey. We send it over to your house.
Speaker 5: Oh boy, kay, thanks getting into mc gee. Mm, will you do something for me? Delpha Christmas? HM, tell me a sty Why do you please?
Speaker 2: That's a jay?
Speaker 5: Okayon?
Speaker 3: Oh k tenny seems as good a time as.
Speaker 5: Enny, Oh, Jeddy, I love your stays.
Speaker 2: Well, I like them too, Tenny. I'll just sit over here, out of the way, and I'll keep real quiet, Perie.
Speaker 3: Oh, Tenny, did you ever hear the story about Laura the lop sided pine Tree?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: No, Master, No, I never heard that one. Is it a true stime?
Speaker 2: Master?
Speaker 5: A chilling as that moon.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a sort of a little piece of folklore that's been kind of handed down from generation to generation. Or will it be as soon as I can think it up?
Speaker 5: Oh boy, that's the best candor vet.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, well, sir, long time I go. Once upon a time that there used to be a great, big forest. Well, it was out past dubens like aways, and it was all full of tall pine trees. And every year on Christmas Day, the king of the forest would invite all the people from all around and they'd have a Christmas party and sing songs and give each other presents, and they have wonderful times.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, every year the king would pick out the prettiest tree in the forest to have Christmas under. You see, it got to be quite a contest among the local pines to see which one would be chose. The King's tree, the yeah now, way off in one corner of the forest, kind of by herself, stood Laura, the lop side of the funniest lookinst poorest, little scrubby old pine tree in the whole woods. Her branches were all cock eyed and her bark was always falling down, and she was just the real sad sapling.
Speaker 5: Oh, poor La.
Speaker 3: The other trees, the big, tall, beautiful looking ones, they used to sneer a little outside of Laura all the time. Some of them trees got so vain about their good looks that you just couldn't stand them. Spent all their time primping and powdering their combs and combing the birds nests out of their hair and looking pretty.
Speaker 5: Oh that's not a good way out, bet you. People shouldn't be vain, especially pine trees, that's right.
Speaker 3: But these pine trees got so bad they wouldn't let a bird building their branches, and they shook all the squirrels out onto the ground. And the only place the little creatures had to live was Laura. The little outside of Lara gave them all home.
Speaker 5: She had a kine high hunt, sure, But the.
Speaker 3: Other trees used to raz or something in tears. Look at Lopsy, they'd say, get her hair full of birds, mess, and her lap full of squirrels. Boy, are you a mess?
Speaker 1: They'd say? Oh, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: All them pine trees needled her.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 5: They were naughty pines. Huh, naughty times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I was gonna say that myself. Well, anyhow, one Christmas Eve, little Large just couldn't take it any longer, and she just broke down and cried, uh huh, just stood there sobbing kind of softly to herself.
Speaker 5: Oh see, just like a weeping mall, Hi, Master, a weeping well.
Speaker 3: All, well, she was more of what you might call a crying conifers is. Oh and while she was standing there crying softly, and the other mean old trees were snickering at her all.
Speaker 5: Once it happened, Oh gosh, this is a good fight of it. What happened? Is this a good time?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It happened that a young angel was passing by that night. She was in a hurry, trying to get home for Christmas. You see.
Speaker 5: And where where had she been?
Speaker 3: Master?
Speaker 5: Where he had the angel?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 3: Oh, she'd been over in Pittsburgh or Wichita, oscar Looser or someplace to say hello to a couple of new babies. She stopped someplace else to sort of spread her wings over a young couple that were getting married that day. And she looked in to let a little crippled boy know that he was going to be okay for Christmas, you know, just just business calls like angels do check about you. Anyhow, when the angel heard Laura the Lopsided Pine tree cry, and she wheeled down to investigate, and Laura told her the story through her tears, and the angel smiled and just waved her wings, and poor little Laura the lop sided Pine became the prettiest tree in all the world, getting for high. The tears that poor little pine tree shed froze into beautiful shining icicle, and her cones gleamed like colored lights, and her branches were dusted with snow. Way up on her tip top branch, the angel hung a shining star, and they named the tree the Christmas Tree. And the people came and admired the tree and gave each other presents and wished each other happiness and peace and the merry Christmas, just like missus McGee, and I wish you.
Speaker 5: An geez that's wonderful. Mister McGhee.
Speaker 3: O Merry Christmas, teenie oo.
Speaker 5: I just hope the whole world has a Merry Christmas about you everybody.
Speaker 2: So the wee teeny Merry Christmas to all.
Speaker 1: We'll say good night the Bibber and Molly in a moment MBC. Throughout the year, these initials ring out as a trademark of the National Broadcasting Company, and tonight, this Christmas Eve, the National Broadcasting Company extends to you, the listeners, it's heartfelt wishes for a Christmas filled with peace and happiness and contentment. That this day may bring renewed hope to all the world. Is the Christmas wish of NBC. Ever present in broadcasting is the call the pie here improve and extend service to the public. To meet this magnificent challenge is the constant aim of NBC. It is the purpose and intention of NBC that the character and influence of its sponsored and sustaining program shall help to increase commerce and employment, raise the living standard, enlarge the spiritual and cultural experience of the people, and enrich their lives. The National Broadcasting Company earnestly hopes that its programs will always be welcomed in your home and in all homes throughout America.
Speaker 3: Transcribed This is NBC The Night before Christmas
Speaker 4: Boom