Speaker 1: Company coming right up. In fact, it's started. We're doing it. We are doing it. It's happening. Coffee and Company Field about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee. That is me the tribal Chief, mister Austin Montgomery, alongside today as we take you up until six o'clock, we're gonna have some fun. I mean, we always try to have some fun. Sometimes we do. Sometimes we might not end up having the fun that we set out to have, but we just you know, we roll with it. But I feel good about today's show. And if you guys want to stick with us and ride the vibes for the next three hours, take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com.
Speaker 2: We love writing a lot of things, and vibes is the top.
Speaker 1: Web the vibes. Yes, let's ride, Let's let's do it. Let's lock in, Let's lock in. It's a one I brought up a couple weeks ago. Yeah, I like that lock in.
Speaker 2: It seems like it seems like it seems like the brain rot term. That's kind of hot right now. I'm sure we're gonna get tired of it hearing about a couple months.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if you did this based off of I mean, I think maybe he's told it from you, and I know you didn't take it from him before you said lock in. It reminded me of one of the one of the many and always funny skits from Drew Ski. How would you just, like, how do I tell people what Drew Ski is? Like it's a good question, Like an entertainer, clearly, but like he's just a dude who does little skits on the internet and has become super famous to where he's got like a tour where he does like the wild and out kind of type stuff and he is in the NBA's Celebrity All Star Game. Like he's an online comedian, right, yeah, he's.
Speaker 2: A content creator at the base, He's a content.
Speaker 1: But I feel like with that and there being really no other ties to his famous fire, Like you know, the Kardashians, they they were famous before they were famous because of their family and then and there and they were already wealthy and then like they just you know, they got a platform and you know, here they are, like they they're famous because they were like lightly famous and then had a platform. Yes, Risky Drewski got it at the Mudd.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean he's just really round. He's really really funny, and it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of teamed with Kevin Hard a little.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he's I was gonna say, he's probably one of the most successful people in whatever we decide. We're gonna call that lane, right, and he's hilarious. But he's got one of his skits where he's kind of talking about like anytime you bring anytime you bring up like you know, your struggles, your frustrations, uh with with your with your partner, like you know, your your friend, your homeboy. He's like, you got to lock in. Yeah, you you just gotta lock in. I mean, because you ain't lock it in.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: It's like all you gotta lock in.
Speaker 2: And it's so simple, but it makes so much sense, like lock in.
Speaker 1: Lock in, baby to get ready. Yeah, so we're locked in, ready to rock and roll. And last night was a good night of college basketball really because of honestly, one of the best shots that you'll ever see, I think in the regular season, like that that that game winning shot from Michigan State. If you guys haven't seen it, seen it, it's not you haven't seen it. Where the hell have you been? What have you been doing with the.
Speaker 2: Bed early last night? Man, I forgot about the Kentucky game until I woke up at like six o'clock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and looked they they were able to they were able to put together a really impressive win. I mean, look, Oklahoma, they're one of those teams that the better they do, the better for Louisville, because obviously they beat Louisville and they're a team that we need to be in the top fifty four to be a quad one opportunity. They're regultless so either and look, they didn't beat Kentucky, so but but you know, like they're one of those teams. And by the way, what I said a few weeks ago in the SEC about there's teams that, like, I can't tell you they're bad, but they are benefit like they haven't actually gone out there and really earned like big key signature wins. And one of those teams I kept thinking about was Texas A and M. And here we are Texas A and M is now lost to Missouri, not on Missouri lost to Vandy at home last night they lost to Mississippi State, who doesn't really have any legitimate, you know, wins or anything. So anyways, Oklahoma looks like a tournament team as far as like the bracketology, but like I don't really know how. But anyways, Kentucky they got every they were fully healthy minus Crisa a kerk Crisa, which I think that's the first time they've had that since like maybe the Florida game or maybe the Alabama game. So they got a hard fought win. It didn't look great, but when they're at full strength, I think they have shown to be a team that can beat anybody. So that's got to have Kentucky fans feeling pretty good. But anyways, the game winner last night for Michigan State. I don't know if it's just because of where we are, with you having the ability at any moment to get out your phone and find content to just get to get lost in waste time. TikTok, Instagram reels, help Twitter. I mean, you can scroll a variety of different social media platforms and you know, just forget about what you may have spent thirty minutes watching before because it's just NonStop it's a constant thing. So what I'm getting to is that like last night's game winner for Michigan State on the road, it was further it was it was basically the other three point line right like, it wasn't half court. It was further than that. But and it also wasn't like the other free throw line. It was right between the three point line and half court. And like, I believe that is one of the best game winning shots I've ever seen in a college basketball game, and nobody's saying that it's not. It's certainly getting attention. I mean, Austin hasn't watched it, which was surprising. I don't know how he missed it. But have you seen it yet? I just sent it to you. No, I thought that's what you were watching.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I was looking I was looking at attack.
Speaker 1: Sorry, So anyways, you know, you watching it is not going to change anything about what I'm saying. But like I believe that we just now can just quickly move on from things in a millisecond and not forget about it, not feel not feel.
Speaker 2: That you Yes, I just brought it up.
Speaker 1: What the hell's going on? Anyways? We can just move on from from things quickly to where like it makes me feel as if that didn't quite get the appreciation that it that it should and that it typically would get because again, like, oh, you know, I'll find I'll find a crazy video on TikTok or Instagram. And by the way, that's how a lot of people consume content. Like a lot of people were watching it last night. Who watched college basketball? I was because I bet on that game and I love college hoops, probably more so than most. But most people watched it just on their phone, which is not That's okay. I mean, that's that's that's the power of technology and social media and clip content. When I say clip content, I mean not long form, but just something that takes you no time to just pick up and watch.
Speaker 2: That's a gut ranching shot.
Speaker 1: I mean Mariland and the story there, I'm sure a lot of people don't know or care, but the story there in Michigan State is that the young man who hit that shot, you know, he's kind of been an issue for them at times where he's he'd been demoted, essentially started coming off the bench. He committed a late foul in that game that really, I mean it absolutely hurt his team. I don't know if he was the one who turned it over late, but sure enough it was tied when it should have been. It should have been a Michigan State win. Maryland had some heroic slate They did just enough to tie it up. It looked like Michigan State was going to give it away. Had they gave it in a way, this guy would have been blamed to some extent, maybe most of the blame would have gone to him. And sure enough, he hits a you know, miracle shot it and it looked like he shoots that every game, right, Like, if you go back and watch it, it looks as if this is just a shot they have him given, they give him the green light for that, which they clearly don't. But he shot it, like, you know, it wasn't like just a heave. He got a good running start, had a little bit of form to it, you know, obviously, not like he's pulling up for a three. And then it was just like it did. It didn't bank in, it didn't just I mean, it looked like a shot this guy takes all the time. So moments like that, I mean, it gets no better in college basketball. Now if you're Michigan State, how good are you feeling if you're Maryland? Oh, a punch to the gut and again, and what.
Speaker 2: A terrible shot. There's four seconds yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: He did nothing. They were fine with you taking that shot. They contested it. You weren't even set and you left enough time for him to get the rebound, get it to where he got it and kill you. So and this this is you know, I'm a little bit of a romantic about college basketball, and yesterday just that was such a moment to where it it hit me in the fields from my love for college hoops because Maryland, you know, Maryland's a basketball school. Easy to forget that, but they are. I mean, Maryland should be good when the ACC was really really loaded in basketball, you know, before they left for the Big Ten, before Louisville was in the league. And by the way, thank you Maryland for doing that, like they were one of the best. Like when you talked about the ACC being a good league, Maryland was a part of that. I mean they won a national championship in two thousand and two, had back to back final fours, and really from then on, when Gary Williams stepped down, you know, things weren't things weren't great, but like Kevin Willard, I think can have Maryland being a consistent top twenty caliber team. And they showed the line to get in at College Park last night or yesterday during the day actually, because people were like, can out for this game. They're in like the top fifteen now. Yeah, and they got a hell of a squad and the fan base because they've now been you know, consistently good, they're now at least, you know, getting to the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mellow Trimble's got that program going.
Speaker 1: And then I forget even Mark Turgen, who I thought got fired a little too quickly. He had some good teams there. Jake Layman, you mentioned Mellow Tremble, who was really good. Diamond Stone anybody remember that name, dude? Yeah, it was a baller. So you know, like Maryland had had everything lined up for to be a great evening. The energy in the arena was awesome. They got SVP of marylynd Alump sitting court side getting into it, and then they have their hearts ripped out, which I'm not I'm not like happy. Maryland was sad, but like the people who love college basketball get it. And I know a lot of people around here listening right now love college hoops and I will always love it. I had to learn to love it without a team that I could care about. I mean, I'll always care about Louisville, but let's be real, the previous three seasons, I mean, it was really just is like when I thought of like consuming college basketball and you know, getting into it and watching it and betting on it in March madness. I mean, obviously I didn't think of Louisville because they weren't there, but like, there wasn't never any moment in the Kenny Paane era where I was thinking to myself, boom, maybe maybe it'll get better to where we can make the tournament. Maybe it'll get better to where like we're not terrible, but like it didn't happen. So now I get the best of both worlds. I'm enjoying it but also knowing that I've got a team that hopefully can can make a run in March.
Speaker 2: I mean, I ask you a question, like, how do you feel as I'm sitting here watching this is an incredible shot, but how do you feel about and not just this year, just overall like about Michigan State. Do they still have a sour taste in your mouth just like they do me from twenty nineteen and what was yes to know twenty sixteen or seventeen when they beat us?
Speaker 1: Yes and no. So I have a lot of respect for tom Izzo. I think he is genuine. I think you know, if you like him or don't like him as far as like you know, his brand, his personality, that's fine. But I think that's authentically him. He's a guy who is going to coach his players really really hard. And I think right now we'll see what happens in March. But like ISO, this year, I think has an is O team, Like I think, I think Michigan State is as good as as they've probably been in a long time.
Speaker 2: Good way to put that.
Speaker 1: And they also you know, he's still he's not complaining as much as other coaches about the new world, right, and yet he's still doing I mean, he's still being him right, Like it'd be different if he was refusing to adapt in any way and then blaming everybody all these circumstances about the portal in Nil and just being an old Cromungeon, which a lot of these guys have done and then they leave, They quit and they retire or you know, leave mid season or right before the season because they just they aren't cut out to do it. Is O. I don't think likes it, but he's just gonna keep being him. He's made some slight adjustments. So I is those one of those guys that has done it long enough and he's been so consistently in the top tier that I don't like Michigan State more often than not. I think I probably found myself kind of wanting them to not win just just because. But there's a lot of athletes that growing up or maybe early in their career, athletes or coaches that I that I that I wasn't a fan of. In fact, I really enjoyed rooting against them, but I also grew to really just respect him to where in turn, that actually gives them a little bit of likability to me. For example, he used to hate Lebron James and I don't really love him now, but like I know, Lebron is one of the best players I will ever watch ever outside of Michael Jordan. So with that, like I can't just be like I can't be like the guy that claims all he's he's he's a bum, or he's he's you know, he's a because he is a baby, and he does you know he's he's not built like Jordan in any way. I don't think he has any self awareness, but like I'm going to at least view it from Hey, I'm lucky to be able to say I got to see this guy enter the league, and i'll him end his career. Yeah, and it'll be somebody that you know is an all time legend. Same thing with like Kobe. I didn't really like Kobe because he was arrogant, he was cocky, his Lakers beat my Celtics in the finals when we finally got there, when it was Kobe in shack. But over time, especially when Lebron was doing his thing and leaving Cleveland to go to Miami and the decision and just being Lebron. When I say Lebron being Lebron, I don't mean like being a criminal or anything like that, but just like doing things where he can't read the room and understand that people are going to not like you, like you don't realize how you look, bro Like. That's kind of how it comes off. So with Kobe, Like, he's just he was such a competitor, so like I didn't really like him growing up, but man, I knew he was great, and I just kind of grew to respect him. Same thing with Tom Brady when Tom Brady went to Tampa. What could I say? I used to fight about Peyton Manning. No, he's better than Brady. I can't with a straight face say that now, and I haven't been able to do it for a long time. So with Izzo, I'm not saying he's like the best coach of all time, but Izzo, he is on. His last final four was in twenty nineteen, and by the way, that team that he beat he get to the final four happened to be the Duke's Ion team that had Zion RJ. Barrett Reddish those guys, So right now he is currently in his most in his longest drought ever as far as making a final four. So he won. He got to a final four in ninety nine, Then he won a national title in two thousand, by the way, the last Big ten national championship. Then he went to a final four again in two thousand and one, went back to a final four in two thousand and five, went back to a final four in two thousand and nine, went back to a final four in twenty ten, went back to a final four in twenty and fifteen, went back to a final four in twenty nineteen. So this guy has made a final four, and at least sometimes he's made multiple final fours in a four year stretch. But he's never gone longer than four years without a final four appearance at Michigan State. Think about that, and by the way, I didn't finish it. He's never gone four years without going to a final four until currently, because he's currently on that longest drought and everything has changed in college basketball, and what does he have right now as we speak, his best team in a long time. He seems to have really found a way to just make it work and by doing it the right way, working hard. And I'm sure you can get him to bitch and mona occasionally about the Portland and I l and all that, but like he's just a ball coach. And last night they were interviewing him about becoming the all time winning as coach in the Big Ten, passing Bob Knight, and like he got emotional because I think he cares, like he's I don't know, I just I have a lot of respect for him. And yes, I blame us for them beating us in two thousand and two thousand and nine. We talked about it yesterday, like that was brutal, right. I mean, that t will Earl Clark team in two thousand and nine my favorite Louisville team ever, I think, I mean, aside from the championship game, of course. Yeah, but I know what you mean, right, Like that team in twenty thirteen, really it just felt destiny, you know, so like is what we were supposed to do. And I guess I could, you know, you kind of say the same thing in two thousand and nine, but they hadn't even broke through and got to a Final four yet. But that team, to me, it's the most talented Louisville team I watched play that didn't make a Final four. I could also claim that they're one. I mean, I don't know if I put him above twenty thirteen, but you know what I mean. And then when they beat us in twenty fifteen, I mean I kind of feel like, you know, like they got us, you know, like mango, mister free throw and it was over time that Louisville team ended up being really good that year, got to you know, another Elite eight. So I just have a lot of respect for him. And then when we beat them when they were the number one seed in the Sweet sixteen and twenty twelve, Yes, when Draymond was there and Gorgey was hitting threes like that was one of Rick Bittino's best tournament. I mean, look, he's had a lot of great games as a coach. Clearly he's a legend. But that was where Rick was so prepared for Michigan State as though didn't know what to do. I mean, they they were phenomenal and Rick up until twenty fourteen, which we don't want to talk about. I mean, he'd never lost a Sweet sixteen game because like he was just you get you know, he gets past the first weekend, He's got you know, five days, six days whatever it is to prepare for who whoever he's got in the round to sixteen, and he you know, he takes him out.
Speaker 2: That's played in Phoenix, Arizona too, if I remember, yep.
Speaker 1: Then and then they came back from came back from a big deficit against Florida to make that Final four in that same season team. So look, I've always just had a lot of respect for Izzoh, so I don't really feel like I don't like spart got Michigan State fans, like I don't know a lot of them, but they kind of seem like not people I want to be hanging out with. But is O Demi is one of those dudes that he gets he gets a bat And again I'm just I'm nerding out on tom Izzo today It's Tom Izzo Show. But whenever he he got all the way to the final four and twenty twenty nineteen because he got past Duke and that's when you feel like, you know, you beat the best team out there. Like not to say you're gonna win at all, but man, like you look like you're in pretty good shape. Well then they end up losing to Chris Beard's Texas Tech team in the final four, which was you know, I mean, it was an upset. And they asked him after the game like, hey, you've made a lot of final fours and you have that national championship from twenty years ago. But you know, basically he was just asked about what a lot of people were saying, like, man is oh, he might get to the final four, but you know his team's going to be asked when they get there. I don't know who said that, but I'm sure somebody said something like that right now. It's something you said, right Maybe I said it. I don't know, but he got real emotional and mad, but not at the reporter, but like like it bothers him that he can't break through, and like he didn't. He didn't try to be little the reporter. He didn't you know, lash out, He didn't, he didn't start. I mean, honestly, what I think ninety nine percent of the other coaches, especially those that have credentials like he does, would have done would have said, last got checked. It's not easy to get here, last dot check. There aren't many people like Mick Cronin. Remember what he said earlier this year and he was dogging his team. I'm chilling. I got nothing to prove. I got fifty five years old. I'm not even I'm not even fifty five years old, and I got five hundred whins, like you know, as if like he's I mean, it was the most like hilarious thing, actually, but like Iszo could have done that, and he's got like he he can put him on the table, you know what I mean, and there and there's something there, but he didn't like he was like, yeah it hurts like it's like he he didn't hide it. So I just think he has shown throughout his career wanting to be a really good coach, a real competitor, coaches his guys hard, and I think he's really genuine. And as I get older, and you know, don't treat this as much like life and death. I never I don't know any of these guys that I watch on TV with coaches, players or anything like that. So it's not like I know him personally, but I am. I do have an appreciation for people that I that I think don't take themselves too seriously and are a little bit more you know, relatable, And you know, is Tho's that guy. And last night, you know, even after the game, he was talking Andy Katz and Andy Katz I've never been a huge fan of but you know, respect his work. He's clearly more successful than than Oliver. Yeah, but he like he's to me, he's has he always been like to me, he used to be ESPN's like insider, right, like like like like, I don't really look funny, Like I don't remember him being a guy that they they have, like ESPN cut him and do you know what his first job was after he got let go to ESPN?
Speaker 2: It wasn't Yahoo, was it? No?
Speaker 1: No, he was the in game MC for Yukon football.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then like he started doing like some side like so then so right now he works there and he works for the NC double a like so if you go to the msaa's website and look at their bracketology or their power thirty six rankings by cats, like, he does that stuff. And he also works for the Big Ten Network. So last night he's the sidelin reporter. So he's asking Tom Mizzo after the game, you know, but he didn't ask good questions, and I'm sure like in that moment, it's tough, but tom Izo said, you know, that was a lucky shot. We got lucky there, but my guys deserve to win this game. We fought, we battled and and you know, very raw and real in the moment, responds from Izzo, and Andy Katz just looks at him and says, why do you believe your team deserved to win this game? And Izzo looked at him again being kind of respectful, but like, did you watch it? He said that, Like it's just like I mean, but like, why would you ask that, Like, you know, what, do you think he's gonna say we deserve to win it? Because I mean, because we we we fought. Like it was such a waste of a question, you know what I mean, Like he should have asked you.
Speaker 2: About it, and we did not deserve You caught me.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask me next week and I'll go back and watch the film and tell you why we deserve to win. Like what are you doing? That's a clown question. But anyways, college basketball is the best and we are getting getting closer to March and I can't wait. Speaking of that, we're on the on the on the other side, we'll take a look at sort of how the ACC tournament bracket is projected to go now, because Louisville, with their win on Tuesday and with some results last night at the ACC, they have clenched a double by and you know you could you're probably gonna only I mean, you only need to win three games to win this tournament. So you got to get past the first game and then from there, there's value to be value to be had, opportunity to get a valuable win for the first time I'm in forever and that excites me. We got a lot of other stuff to get to today, so stick with us. It's coffee and company. Felbout Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety Yeah Yeah.
Speaker 3: From the Fox Sports Studios in Los Angeles, here's Moncy Bolanos.
Speaker 4: Test at the NFL combine reveal that potential number one pick up Duel Carter has a stress reaction in his right foot. The Penn State star will need to decide soon whether to have surgery. In the NBA, James Harden coming in clutch for the Clippers.
Speaker 2: Cordon that's right angle step back a three NYE line.
Speaker 3: Shame Hording, Oh, big time shut.
Speaker 4: For the right wing A In five seventy LA Sports Clippers Radio Network, they beat the Bulls one twenty two to one seventeen hard and ended with thirty points. The Thunder came back to defeat the net one twenty nine to one twenty one, while he crushed the Hawks one thirty one to one oh nine. The Pistons have won eight in a row after topping the Celtics one seventeen to ninety seven. In men's college hoops number seven, Saint John's had a seventy six to seventy win over Butler. The Red Storm has clinched a share of the Big East regular season title for the first time since nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 3: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: That's right, Coffee and Company field bout Thorton's here on Sports Talks seven ninety. If you guys want to join in on the party and give us a call, you can FABO two five to seven to one. Seventy nine hundred is the number. And if you want a text in on the ellen In Federal Credit Union text line, FABO two six five to three zero seven ninety again the Llenn Federal Credit Union text line. So we have an updated look at what the ACC tournament would look like today and Louisville clinched a double by currently they're you know, they've got games to play, and look, they could lose. We know that they nearly lost the other night to Virginia Tech, but they if they finish winning out and really I think even Clemson could lose, and let me look at the standings, because I believe it's Louisville and Clemson kind of by themselves in second place, but obviously Louisville has that tiebreaker with the win over them, and then Duke's really in a world by themselves. So yeah, actually, never mind because Duke, like, for example, if Duke was to slip up and lose another game, which I don't see that happening with the way they've been playing lately, then clemsond be really tricky because you'd have a three way tie. But again, I assume that this thing's gonna go chalk wouldn't be the biggest surprise in the world. But right now SMU is in fourth place by themselves, and they have a three game deficit to Clemson and Louisville, so they are twelve and five, and then you've got fifteen and two a piece for Louisville and Clemson and Duke. So if it started today, Louisville would be the two seed, playing on Thursday at seven o'clock, and that'll be on March thirteenth, and they would play either Georgia Tech or whoever plays Georgia Tech, which would be Virginia Tech in California. So that's kind of interesting because George Tech beat you. They're going team the beach in the league outside of Duke, and Virginia Tech nearly beat you. Although I kind of feel like if they played Virginia Tech ten other times, they beat Virginia Tech ten times by a lot of points. I mean, I just think you saw a Louisville that we've never seen before, and I hope that we don't ever see again, not to say that we won't see them have stretches of play where they're you know, missing shots or making mistakes. They're not perfect, but that was just, you know, they didn't have it. It was that night where and every team has it, as we talked about yesterday, where it's just not your night and things are just going to continue to go wrong. However, you know, we shall see, because as I said yesterday, Louisville, I think in the last three games, despite winning, they haven't haven't changed my mind about them. But I do start I started to since and maybe I'm overthinking it, maybe I'm pairing, but I feel like there's a little bit of like losing a little bit of steam. Maybe they're kind of wearing down just to Tad, but again, we'll see how they look the rest of the way. They've got Pittsburgh on Saturday. But anyways, a Georgia Tech win, I mean that it's weird because the ACC has had such a bad year. But also I mean when you look at Georgia Tech like they're number seven, I mean, heck, wake Forest is number five. I'd rather play them, And it's probably just because I'm only basing it off of the Georgia Tech game when they look phenomenal and they've had a year where they've been bad at times. But anyways, so Louisville and Clemson would play if it goes chalk in the tournament, and then of course you would potentially get to you know, you get to Duke if you know, if you can get past two games, so you've already clinched that meeting. This is actually a good thing. The only like lost in the tournament, in the ACC tournament they could hurt you would be would be that first game. Because if you win, let's say, let's say Virginia Tech beats cal and then Georgia Tech beats Virginia Tech, and then you beat Georgia Tech. There's not a lot of value there at all. I mean, you get revenge, but that doesn't do anything for your resume. And then you go and then you get to Clemson. Let's say, you know, I hope you win, but let's say you lose a close game. That's still not going to be something that really hurts your resume. So I'm kind of starting to and I'll wait till like next week to kind of, you know, probably go there because I want to see what happens against Pittsburgh, but I kind of feel like Louisville as of now, the scenarios as far as what seed they get, to me, seems kind of clear. I say that without having any real clue what the committee's going to do, because you know, these are human beings that are gonna have to make a decision. It's not just based off of metrics and numbers and whatnot. It's based off of the eye test that kind of stuff. But you will have a chance to get more wins that will have value, And obviously a win against Clemson would help you, but it would just give you two of your best win I would just love to knock off Duke, but again, easier said than done. There's also a scenario there where if Duke keeps getting you know, Duke keeps playing well and just dominating, like maybe you're maybe you're rolling, and you beat Georgia Tech, you give Clemson a double digit loss, and then you just get steamrolled by Duke because they're that good. I mean, that may be like a bad taste. I would hope that the committee would maybe look at that more so as all right, this Duke team is scary good right now. And by the way, they are one of just two teams that's beat that's beat Auburn, all right, And as far as the rest of the ACC and the tournament, I mean, SMU, I guess they've still got a chance, but I mean Wake Forest like they can't get in now. I mean they just can't. I mean they were already sort of like you know, and this is what I don't get. If you're if you're on the if you're like, this is what I don't understand about the bracketologists, because again they're they're simply just guessing when it comes to the last four in, first four out, that kind of stuff. But if you've got a team that is sitting there in the last four out or the i'm sorry, the first four out or the last four in, and there's like a real big a big result, good or bad. Wouldn't that influence them going from one of those sides to the other, Like, I'm sure it's just strictly number crunching. And what I oftentimes don't remember and remind myself about enough is that is that you know, it matters what other teams do as well. And the bubble is not a great bubble this year. So like if Indiana is one of the if Indiana's one of the last four out or maybe one of the next four out, and they beat Purdue, like, shouldn't that put them to where maybe they're in the last four in? Maybe it didn't because Purdue actually had lost four in a row and now that doesn't even look like that big of a win. But like wake Forest, they lost last night and it's like the third loss they have. Like again, wake Forest, right now they have one win that has value. They beat Michigan. They're nineteen and nine, eleven and six in a down. Dare I say bad? Acc Their best win as far as quad one wins in conference play is SMU, who right now is not a tournament team according to the committee. So last night they lost to Virginia on their home floor. Keep in mind just a week before they lost to Florida State on their home floor. Like now there's seventy four in the kN palm and even worse than the net. Like look if they're still looking at like last four in or first four out or like next four out, Like that's what I don't understand about it, because again, like for Louisville, they're good now because they've played so many games since I started talking about this, But when you hit that stretch of the schedule that you're currently in where you have very little to gain and a lot to lose by slipping up and losing to one of these teams, then you know, I mean, I feel like if your big win is Clemson and the other good things about your is the metrics, and that the majority of the teams that have beaten you all but one are good teams and they're not bad losses. And then you start adding a bad loss, like a loss of Virginia Tech would have been a bad loss, it wouldn't have put him out of the tournament, but I feel like it really really lowers the ceiling for what you can do as far as seeding. So it is what it is. I mean, I feel like I've talked about this and kind of said the same stuff for the last couple of weeks because we know what this looks like, right, it's you're supposed to take care of business and beat these teams that you know you're supposed to beat, and then from then, you know, you just wait till you get to you know, try not to slip up, and then see where you stand when you start playing better teams that are going to be in the tournament. But I do think a caller who called in I believe Monday, I think his I'm not I'm with him how I'm with him with everything other than I have one seed lower than what he has. He said, if Louisville wins out and that means beating Clemson and Duke, they'll get a two seed. I don't think they can get a two seed. I just don't because they won't. Mean do would be a huge win, but you still and you'd have a great record, a great record, and your numbers would be pretty good, I would assume. But to get a two seed, you know, you got to be like a top eight team. Louisville will never sniff the top ten of the kin Palmer the net just because of because they've had very little opportunities to get quad one wins. Like last night Kentucky played and by the way, they won, so credit to them. They got a ton of quad one wins. But Kentucky played in their seventeenth quad one game. Louisvill's played in eight, and you got to keep in mind two of those eight at any moment could fall out of the top fifty and now be quad two to where like you just hey, look, if louis would have played seventeen quad one games where they have nine quad one wins like Kentucky does, probably not. That's not what I'm saying, But I'm just saying you just haven't had opportunities to play quad one teams. Therefore, it's just you're kind of like you're just riding through, right. You just take care of business, but it doesn't give you much opportunity to move up. But if you slip up, it hurts you. So if they went out, and I'm not saying that they are, trust me, I think their ceiling is a three but I also wouldn't even be shocked if they get a four. I think if they win out other than Duke and they lose to Duke, still think they could get a four. Might be a five. I think if they win out or win the rest of the regular season, beat one of these teams in the Thursday games the quarterfinals, and then they lose in the semis to Clemson, I really think it's going to be dependent upon what other teams are doing, and I think you could be anywhere between maybe a six and an eight, and eight seems like it would be a disservice to Louisville. And I'm not saying I think they're eight seed worthy. I still believe that this team we've seen the majority of the season thus far has proven that they are good. But again, when I say proven, they're proven it on the floor with who they're playing, which is all they can do. They're proven it, you know to me, which doesn't matter, but the resume doesn't necessarily say that. And also like I need to find a way to you know, I need to find a better way with words here, which you know you think I would be able to do that considering I talk for a living. But more than anything, I just kind of stumble over my words. I guess I don't know if it's I'm a professional talker, I just yap and uh, you know, that's kind of what this is. But what I'm saying is, as much as you know, I've enjoyed this ride and it's been phenomenal, and because of where we were recently, I'm not too much thinking about, you know, well, who cares whatever it's another thirty point win, because we haven't had thirty point wins around here in a while, right, But also, like I'm every now and then, in the back of my mind, I think, yeah, I mean, when you get again. This is what I said the other day. And I didn't plan on going here to like be negative. It's just something that I hadn't thought about until I was looking at bracketology. When Louisville gets to the tournament, whoever they play, for the most part, I mean, I guess there could be an exception, but I would say there's a good percentage chance that whoever they play in the first round, unless they're a five seed or better, whoever they play will be a better team than everybody they've played in the ACC outside of two maybe three teams. And that's not that doesn't tell you anything. That's just I think that's a fact. Therefore, and again maybe you can say, well, how's it a fact, Well, all the teams that they've played aren't gonna be in the tournament. The team that they will play in the tournament, you know, they made it. That's why they're playing them. So that that doesn't worry me, but it does just kind of keep me grounded a little bit to kind of know, like, hey, I believe Louisville if they get you know, let's just see who the who the who the bracketology like the updated bract this is from earlier in the week. Well, let's say when they get to the tournament, they're playing I don't know, a New Mexico or a Baylor or who else, a Saint Mary's, a Yukon, a Utah, state of Andy. Like I feel justified in saying, like, yeah, you know, they could lose, of course, but they should win. They're better. But even as I say that, like I know that Vanderbilt has been battle tested in the SEE and they've got some really good wins, so like, you know, I can't prove it I believe it, and that doesn't mean anything for anybody other than myself. But that's also what kind of makes it exciting, Like there's some there's something about not you know, being confident, but also kind of not knowing for sure, Like Louisville basketball was so good for the majority of my life that you know, they could lose to teams, but more often than not during the Rick Patino era. And you can attest to this Austin as somebody who really lived and breathed the Rick Patino era. If we lost to a team that wasn't ranked, or like a team that wasn't a big brand, it was a real outlier, Like it wasn't yeah, it was you know, people lose their mind. You know. Obviously the lot has changed since then, so you know, we were just kind of you know, what we were supposed to do, what we were expected to do, and that made it you know, that was a good place to be. But now I kind of know this team could slip up. I don't expect them to, but like it could happen, and that the unknown and kind of you know, the cardiac are the cardiac cards we got on Tuesday in Blacksburg in the moment that was stressful, but overall, like it does kind of make it more exciting. And I always like, I don't know what the expectation is going to be for this team when they get to the tournament. I think that'll depend upon the draw and of course what they do from now until then. But when you know, you know, like you could slip up and lose and it wouldn't be that big of a shock, but you also believe in your team and they could make a deep run. That's a good place to be. I mean, it's a better place to be to know, like, hey, it'd be a real stunner if we lose to Oakland or Saint Peter's like that. That of course sucks. But unexpected success or maybe you know, unknown, you know, spontaneous success, it's there's a different level of joy to it, right, And let me give you an example. When Louisville made the Final four and twenty twelve, that was a hell of a ride. They didn't even do Senior Night when they lost to South Florida at home to close out the season.
Speaker 2: Beatino was getting crushed, remember that, And then they ended up.
Speaker 1: Going on a run in the Big East tournament that nobody expected won that thing, beat Kimba, and then they ended up going to the final four, and like that, you weren't supposed to be there. Nobody ever saw that happening. So like that was a different level of joy. Twenty thirteen, it was all about a business, like you got it. You were supposed to win it all and you did it. Still enjoyable, but you know different.
Speaker 2: That same year they that when they lost to Providence, right, my guy Bryce Cotton by like, oh yeah a lot. And didn't they like they honored their final four team and didn't Patino come out for that at halftime or after the game.
Speaker 1: Or I don't know anything about the final four thing, but I know they got beat by Providence, and I believe that game at Providence. And then in two thousand and might have been two thousand and nine, that great team they went up to Notre Dame and lost to Hero and Goady and the Boys by light. It was it was Yeah, I think those are two of Rick's worst losses ever in Biggie's play. And and of course you know those teams ended up being great. All right, we got a run, we'll come back and wrap up the three o'clock hour. Keep a lock right here, it's coffee and Company, and we are fuel about Porton's right here on Sports Talks seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 1: That's right, coffee and cup any fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. I did not give myself much time here in our last segment before we hit the top of the hour, But real quick, Rick Patino, and I'm not, like, you know, going on on my way to kiss the ass of the guy who used to coach here. But he is a legitimate storyline here in college basketball this season, and he's also a legend in the sport. But he's the first coach in Division one history to win a regular season conference title with five different programs Boston College, I'm sorry, Boston, not Boston College, Boston University, Kentucky, Louisville, Iona, and Saint John's. He actually never did it at Providence, but yet he did go to a final four there, So you know, I feel like he's getting more. I don't know he's getting more. I don't want to say love because even when people would talk about Rick for the scandal stuff, which again, you know the nature of what like there's there's some scandal controversy type of stuff that happens in sports, and it's going to get attention because that's just then that's that's the world. But like Rix was prostitutes in the dorm and him have an intercourse on a table at an Italian restaurant, So like, it's gonna be talked about more than most controversial things, and it's gonna be you know, it's gonna include a lot of jokes. So even throughout that.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, it's back snuck back up on you.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it came back, but or I just accidentally, I don't know. I don't know what happened. Something something happened. But anyways, nobody would ever tell you Rick went a great coach. But now I feel like that's being really being like just it's it seems to be a consensus feeling throughout college basketball and really sports overall, because nobody should be surprised that Rick's doing this. I thought Rick may have a little bit of a tough time when it comes to leading and coaching and being so demanding in this new world. But he's got a gift to where he'll he'll challenge a player bring something out of them that that they didn't even know they had. I mean hearing guys like Terry Ro's Ear, Donovan Mitchell, even even Taekwon Dean back in the day, Ellies Miles. I mean, these are guys that I remember, not necessarily just with me, some of these guys I've had on the show, and they've talked about it, whether it's others, you just you know, it's something they've mentioned before whenever they've done it, they've had an interview, or they spoke about coach Patino that I mean, they really it just always stood out to me because they ended up surprising themselves as far as what they could accomplish, how much better they got as players, and they credited all to him because they were challenged in a way. And you know, once you get a taste of you being able to kind of surprise yourself and overachieve internally, I mean, it's got to be an addictive drug, right And I think that's that's that's the power of Ricurtino. So again, I just thought like, you know, he'll be fine at St. John's. He'll win. He's a hell of a coach, But like, will he break through? And I guess it remains to be seen whill he actually like get to a final four. He might and if he is, if he does, it's not going to be a surprise. But one thing that I just you know, didn't realize when he first got the Saint John's job, but it's certainly played out this year, is that Rick has always been able to adapt under any circumstance, and he's done it throughout his entire career. And here we are at Saint John's, a new world where he's he's he's able to do it. He's buying players, he's not recruiting freshman. He's telling you that like he'll, he'll he's gonna build this team every year with the portal and that's just the way it's gonna be. So you know, he's a He's a legend, no doubt. All Right, we got to get to the top top of the hour break here, but uh, we'll get to this later. But the Ville and Russ Smith returning to Freedom Hall with the TBT this year, which that's been really exciting, and it's been a great summer event that really just gets fans going, gets us excited, and uh, you know, in the summer months, man, it's a drag, but when we have the TVT it's always a lot of so happy that will be returning and they're going to let you host if you make it all the way to the championship, which is a nice incentive. So hopefully they can pack out Freedom Hall once again this summer. All right, two hours left a lot more to get into. Stick around. It's coffee and company and we are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety