Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Ashley, a true crime fanatic.
Speaker 2: I'm Dan, and I don't know anything about true crime.
Speaker 1: Together, we host Fuck That, a true crime podcast that covers cases that highlight important topics that are often overlooked, such as wrongful convictions, and the like. domestic violence, and social inequities sprinkled in with the occasional case with spooky themes. If you are looking for your next true crime fix delivered candidly with a hint of sarcasm, you can listen and subscribe to bi-weekly episodes of Fuck That wherever you listen to your podcasts. And don't forget to give us a follow on Facebook and Twitter at fthatpod and at fthat underscore pod on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Hey y'all, welcome back to Mountain Murders. I'm Heather.
Speaker 2: And I'm Dylan.
Speaker 3: Hey Dylan, how's it going?
Speaker 2: What's up girl, how you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm doing very well. I had an amazing evening last night. I took my son to his first big concert. And now, okay, I'm gonna preface this by saying, last year we tried to take him to see Limp Bizkit and we got rained out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were supposed to see Corey.
Speaker 3: Corey Feldman.
Speaker 2: The Corey Feldman Band and Limp Bizkit.
Speaker 3: Corey and the Angels.
Speaker 2: And the only act we saw was a no-name guy no one's ever heard of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we got rained out. So it was really disappointing. I was able to take my son to see Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson last night. Now, I've seen Zombie like many times. Probably five, six times.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Right? But I've never seen Marilyn Manson. And I gotta say, Dylan, I was impressed. He sounds great live. I really didn't think, you know, when you hear Manson's music, I was like, I don't know how that's going to translate to a live show. But he killed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, even from the videos you shared with me, it sounded really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was great. And I'm not saying I've always been like the biggest Manson fan. I do like Marilyn Manson. I know he's a bit of a controversial figure for some. But I thought he was amazing last night.
Speaker 2: He has been throughout the years, various issues, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh, there were some protesters there.
Speaker 2: Outside?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Some like Jesus protesters. And here's the thing, Dylan. I am fully supportive of y'all's freedom to practice whatever religion you feel, right? And you can show up at a show and protest if you'd like, but it's just the way in which they do it. Like these signs basically telling you like you're going to hell and you're a piece of shit if you listen to this music. This guy was screaming at us like, you can't love Jesus and listen to this music. And it's like screaming at people. And it's like, sir, this is not going to bring people to your message.
Speaker 2: No, it's counterproductive.
Speaker 3: It's very counterproductive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we went to a few concerts together. And the only one I saw remember protests at was the Billy Otto.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The aging Billy Otto crowd in concert. Which was hilarious to me.
Speaker 3: There was also someone ripping out pages of a Bible and throwing them at people. So they're... So I'm not really sure what that was about either, but again..
Speaker 2: They're defacing a Bible to protest their religion.
Speaker 3: It does not seem that you are going to bring people to your side of the aisle when you're being very hateful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't get it.
Speaker 3: And saying very vile things to people. because you don't like their secular music choices.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Very strange, but we had a great time. I'm feeling pumped. I'm ready for more concerts, Dylan.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. I will sing to you.
Speaker 3: So, speaking of concerts, don't forget, fall is just around the corner, Dylan. And you know how much a bitch loves fall.
Speaker 2: God, I love fall, too. You know why I love fall? Because I get my hoodies out.
Speaker 3: You love hoodie season.
Speaker 2: I love hoodie season because it's comfortable, right? It's comfortable. I'm at the point in my health journey where I actually look semi-good in a hoodie. Way better than I do a t-shirt. Hides my fat I have left. And I'm just going to wear a hoodie all the time.
Speaker 3: I love that you have like a dressy hoodie and then like a casual hoodie.
Speaker 2: That's right. That's my going out hoodie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got going out hoodies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's real fancy.
Speaker 2: You better believe it. And it's so easy, right? You just throw your T-shirt on. Boom. Hoodie, jeans, tinnies.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're ready to ride.
Speaker 3: You're like, this is my $ 75 Black Craft hoodie.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: It's fancy. It's a fancy hoodie. Yeah, so I wanted to mention Fall Around the Corner. Fuck yeah, it's Fall Fest. It's a rock show. It's a night market. It's going to be fucking rad.
Speaker 2: I can't believe we got invited to this, and I cannot wait to go. It's going to be such a good time.
Speaker 3: If you are in and around Asheville, North Carolina, or you're looking for a fun road trip, make your way to Asheville September 25th. That is a Friday. Show starts at 5. This is at the Sly Grog Lounge in downtown Asheville at 271 Haywood Street, Asheville. The Sly Grog is a fucking rad, super cool venue. We haven't been there in a minute, and I'm stoked that we are going to go to the Sly Grog. When I was doing burlesque shows, this was one of our kind of a rotation spot. We did a lot of shows at the Grog. Just a really cool venue, like I said. Punk bands all evening long.
Speaker 2: Man, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: And like a spooky market. Some of the artists that are going to be there, I'm very excited about, like Haints and Hollers Apothecary. That makes me happy. The Nomadic Owl Oracle.
Speaker 2: Those sound awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Rome Coffee and Bakery. We've got Nathan King live painting.
Speaker 2: That sounds so cool.
Speaker 3: So it starts at 5 p.m. And guess what? Tickets are only $ 10.
Speaker 2: And it's even a great deal.
Speaker 3: You have like a WWE cat wrestling match happening right by your chair.
Speaker 2: Break it up.
Speaker 3: Is it distracting? No. I can tell.
Speaker 2: It's not bothering me a bit.
Speaker 3: You're feeling a bit distracted.
Speaker 2: Break it up, boys. All right. So here we are. Cannot wait for the Fuck Y'all Fall Festival. Oh, my gosh. So many good things coming down the pike. It's almost Halloween. Oh, yeah. We're going to have crisp, cool evenings. Like I said, hoodie weather. Oh, my gosh.
Speaker 3: It's a great time to gather around the fire pit.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Listen to Mountain Murders.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 3: It's a great time for Mountain Murders. And if you're looking for a new hoodie, check out our merch shop. If you go to our website, mountainmurderspodcast.com, you'll be able to shop our merch. Find yourself a hoodie for fall.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You can join me in the hoodie army.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Let them know. Let them know loud and proud, you Mountain Murders fans.
Speaker 2: Be like, what set you repping, homie?
Speaker 3: I'm repping the Mount Murders. All right, Dylan, are you ready to get into today's case? This is a case I followed for many years. I wanted to discuss this case on Mount Murders. We're finally getting around to it and just in time to have closure in the case because it started as a missing persons case and ended tragically.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Let's start.
Speaker 3: Morgan Bauer was born on April 13th, 1996 in Vermillion, South Dakota. Now Vermillion is in the southeastern corner of South Dakota between Iowa and Nebraska. Morgan's mother, Sherry, had a daughter, Alyssa, from a previous relationship. And Morgan's parents did not stay together and eventually separated. Afterward, Morgan lived in Tennessee for a little bit. Morgan and her mother ultimately settled in Aberdeen, which is in the northeastern part of South Dakota, almost as far north as North Dakota.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been to the Dakotas?
Speaker 3: I have never been to the Dakotas. I would love to go. My dad was a truck driver. I mentioned that before on the show. And the Dakotas, that was like one of his favorite places.
Speaker 2: Oh, really?
Speaker 3: To deliver, to travel. He said it was beautiful.
Speaker 2: I want to go see the Badlands.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Just the name alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Makes me want to go.
Speaker 2: I know, it's awesome. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I haven't been to certain parts of the Midwest and then the Pacific Northwest. One day, I've been all over the United States, but one day we're going to take a road trip and we're going to see some of these spots.
Speaker 2: I would like to fly out to the Pacific Northwest and drive.
Speaker 3: To the Pacific?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: To a specific spot in the Northwest or just.
Speaker 2: And rent a car and just. Check out the coastline and a bunch of these, you know, places I've always heard of but never seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know. If we were headed up the Oregon coast, perhaps we could stop off and see CJ, host of Rainbow Crimes.
Speaker 2: Oh, wow.
Speaker 3: Dark Cast Network.
Speaker 2: That would be awesome.
Speaker 3: CJ be living in the Oregon area, and I've always wanted to visit. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Especially if you're an outdoors enthusiast, which I kind of am. Unless there are bugs involved or snakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes we're indoor enthusiasts. Enthusiasts.
Speaker 3: We had a camping trip from hell a couple weeks ago. A lot of rain and toddlers. Yeah, that made me not feel so outdoorsy.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we've been recovering ever since.
Speaker 3: Morgan's father, Matt, remarried a woman named Leah, who had two sons from a previous relationship. Morgan's stepbrothers, Jaden and Tristan, and her mother then had a son named Mason. So she's kind of got like this big blended family, if you will. And Morgan is the second oldest of these five, like half siblings, step siblings in this big family.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Morgan was known as a dramatic young woman who enjoyed singing and dancing. She was described as caring and would do anything for the people she loved. Morgan was also outspoken even when it got her into trouble. I think we can relate to that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and you can't help that if you're prone to uh outbursts and that's it's just who you are right you can't control.
Speaker 3: It i wouldn't say maybe outbursts but i think you and i are both people who have a really hard time biting our tongues in certain situations even if it gets us in trouble we speak our mind.
Speaker 2: And i'm sure people have noticed on the pod we both have trouble waiting our turn yes to speak we sure do and that is you know i've Many times I've had to apologize to people like, I'm so sorry for interrupting you. It's not like I'm discounting you or don't care what you have to say. It's like I have to spit it out before I forget what I'm going to say or my brain moves on to something else. It's very strange. I catch myself doing it. I really work on trying not to do that.
Speaker 3: Well, you're doing a great job, Dylan.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm very supportive of this. I'm trying to be more.
Speaker 1: Quiet.
Speaker 2: Oh, so you're very supportive of me shutting up.
Speaker 3: Yes. Now, Leah admitted that the pair sometimes had a rocky relationship, you know, stepmom, stepdaughter. But she said overall Morgan really loved her step-siblings and her family, and they had these really wonderful moments together. And I think that's true of all families, right? Most families have wonderful moments together, but you don't always get along.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's just part of it. I think that's just normal, right?
Speaker 3: All of that sounds, like I said, very normal, kind of these normal struggles, especially when you do have a blended family that includes step-parents, step-siblings, half-siblings. Yeah. Can get a little chaotic sometimes.
Speaker 2: Well, no.
Speaker 3: With big families.
Speaker 2: In those moments, you may get mad at each other. If you're kids, you may be like, I hate you. But you don't really mean that. At the end of the day, you love each other. And that's what always comes out on top.
Speaker 3: Aw, love wins, Dylan.
Speaker 2: Love does win.
Speaker 3: All the time. Now, Morgan attended Aberdeen Central High School, and she had a long-term boyfriend during this time. She graduated in 2014. And right after graduation, Morgan and her high school sweetheart broke up.
Speaker 2: Aw. Aw.
Speaker 3: Having grown up in this small town, Morgan was eager to get out into the world and experience life beyond South Dakota, and ending this long-term relationship kind of served as a catalyst. Morgan, now unattached, wants to make a fresh start somewhere new.
Speaker 2: Now, do you think maybe in the back of her mind that she kind of knew that this is what she wanted, and maybe that's what kind of helped this relationship end, if you will?
Speaker 3: Could be. Who knows when it comes to matters of the heart, Dylan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: But I think a lot of young people feel that way, especially if you grow up in a really small town, a rural area. A lot of us were just itching to get out of that town to see more of the world, to experience city living.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah. I mean, it's fun and exciting to go somewhere that's completely different from where you grew up at, you know?
Speaker 3: Well, you did a lot of traveling and moving around as a kid, so I imagine maybe not as exciting for someone like you. But for those of us who lived in the same town from birth until graduating from high school, same town, same people, same routine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could see that getting maybe a little bit old.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then I think as you age, you can appreciate. Yeah, because then.
Speaker 3: A lot of folks return home, want to live back in that small hometown. But anyway, in an interview, Sherry said that her daughter, quote, wanted to be her own person. Morgan craved moving to a big city to find herself, and for some reason, Morgan set her sights on Atlanta, Georgia. Sherry had reservations about her daughter leaving home. Atlanta is pretty far away from South Dakota.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say, that must be, gosh, a thousand miles or so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and probably a bit of a culture shock because, I mean, we've been to Atlanta. It is a, you know, a metropolitan city. And I'm imagining South Dakota, probably not so bustling.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Right? Morgan's young and her mom is uncomfortable with this because, you know, Morgan hasn't really lived on her own before, away from family. Right. And I think initially as a parent, you know, when your kids want to move out, we all probably have those reservations about them living on their own. But especially moving to like a big city so far away, you'd be very worried.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I think you would hope that they would do it and maybe on a smaller scale, you know, just somewhere in town or a few blocks from you or not five minutes from your house where, If they need you or you need to check on them, you can do it very easily.
Speaker 3: Morgan would be moving from a city with 28,000 residents to Atlanta, which has half a million residents. And if you look at the Atlanta metropolitan area, they're around 6.5 million residents, making it the sixth largest metro area in the United States.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 3: Now that, again, is quite a change. 28,000 to an area where 6.5 million people are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Atlanta's spread out. It's a very large area, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's one of those cities, it's not very, I don't feel like it's a very walkable city. I mean, like, unless you're downtown.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Or you're, like, in these little pocket neighborhoods. It's definitely a place I think you would need a vehicle, like a car, to get around. You know, it's not, like, a super walkable city like New York, for example. Now, Sherry didn't want her daughter to go to Atlanta because, It was really worrying her mom, and she was uneasy about the situation. Morgan, however, was stubborn. She was the kind of young woman who set her mind to do something, and then there wasn't much you could do to stop her. We probably all know someone like this.
Speaker 2: I know someone like that.
Speaker 3: Why are you staring at me?
Speaker 2: I'm married to her.
Speaker 3: I'm a Taurus, okay? I'm supposed to be. The stars tell me I'm supposed to be stubborn.
Speaker 2: Right. And that means you're a comfortable sedan from the 90s.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Right. That's what I thought that meant.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Your main model likes to drive it down the road. Now, at this time, Sherry and Morgan were experiencing a rough patch, you know, growing pains in their relationship. Morgan was still living at home after graduating from high school. She felt she was an adult and wanted the freedom to kind of come and go as she pleased. but her mother saw it differently. Morgan was still under Sherry's roof, and though legally an adult, Sherry didn't agree with some of the lifestyle choices Morgan had made, and it's unclear exactly what, you know, Sherry was, she was kind of worried about Morgan's safety, but it really created this strain on their relationship, and I'm not exactly sure, like, if there was a particular thing that had happened, or what kinds of things Morgan was into, I did read an interview where her mom was saying she was partying, so I don't know if that was just maybe alcohol, drugs, I don't know. But her mom's worried. She doesn't really like some of the things Morgan is doing.
Speaker 2: Well, that's just going to add to their concern if she moves away to another city, another region.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, I don't think that's totally abnormal. I think a lot of parents, when you get to that age of independence and you're living at home, a lot of parents feel like you're under my roof. You still follow my rules, but you're a young adult and you're like, bro, I'm a legal adult. I could go get married. I could join the military. I'm an adult.
Speaker 2: I can buy alcohol.
Speaker 3: Well, you can't really do that yet, but.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, yeah.
Speaker 3: But you end up kind of like butting heads, right? And eventually Morgan left home and moved out to live with some friends and Sadly, there was little contact between Morgan and her mom after that. Sherry maintains their issues were normal for a lot of families, but it has been said that Morgan was struggling. Morgan accumulated tickets and was eventually locked up for failing to take care of them.
Speaker 2: Like parking?
Speaker 3: Like traffic and parking tickets. Sherry had to go bail her out of jail. Morgan was experiencing financial hardships as well. Kind of learning that life as an adult is pretty difficult and it's rife with responsibilities. I mean, we all know adulting is no fun.
Speaker 2: No, it sucks.
Speaker 3: Like, these kids are so... eager to get out and about but it's like bro you don't even know how bad it sucks you have to pay car insurance.
Speaker 2: I want an app that adults for me wouldn't that be sweet.
Speaker 3: I adult for you what are you talking.
Speaker 2: About well y'all know I am the adult but I want you to have the app as well So you don't have to adult for both of us. Because I think together, I've said this before, me and you together are about two-thirds of a functional person.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Almost there.
Speaker 3: Almost. We're a work in progress.
Speaker 2: Maybe if we add Rufus in, it puts us over the top.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now, Morgan, he's more financially responsible than we are.
Speaker 2: He really is.
Speaker 3: Now, Morgan needed copies of her birth certificate and social security card for employment to And she needed those things to be able to find a job in Atlanta. And because Sherry, like most parents held onto these items, Sherry didn't want to hand them over to her daughter. And Sherry thought this way it would kind of keep the document. Like if she kept the documents, it would prevent Morgan from going to Atlanta. But Sherry also offered to like help her. Like, I'm not going to just give these to you, but we can go get your, these documents. Like you can go to the, you know, register of deeds and pick up your birth certificate and you can go to the Social Security office and you can go get an ID made. So she's really kind of putting the responsibility back on Morgan.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I guess she may be using it as a teachable moment, if you will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or like a little bit of leverage.
Speaker 2: But I strongly disagree with you withholding. That's their stuff. That's their Social Security card. That's their birth certificate. And I think when a young person turns 18 years old, they have every right to those documents. And you really, now you might, I understand, maybe give them a copy or hang it on to the original or something, whatever. But they should be accessible. It's their documents. And I've seen parents that will almost create an argument with their kids about things like Social Security cards and birth certificates. And it's their papers. They're not yours. You've been holding on to them for them until they became responsible. So I don't know. I just find it strange when people do that.
Speaker 3: Well, it is strange. I understand your point of view, but I also understand what Sherry's saying. Like, if you're such an adult that you can go move halfway across the country and live on your own, then you should be mature enough to go pick these documents up like a normal adult would.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Right? Now, Sherry's attempting to maintain, like, some kind of control over her adult daughter because she really does have Morgan's best interests at heart, even if maybe you disagree, Dylan. Again, Sherry worries about Morgan's safety, and Morgan has already shown that she's got, like, money problems. She's a bit irresponsible. Maybe, you know, living on her own with friends. in her hometown isn't quite working out. So what's it going to be like if she moves thousands of miles away?
Speaker 2: So she's got 99 problems and the birth certificate ain't one.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is one way to put it, Dylan. Morgan is 19 years old at this point. She wants her documentation and eventually goes to police for help. The officer involved supports Morgan's stance that she is an adult and that she's entitled to those documents. So Sherry relents and agrees to meet Morgan at a gas station to hand over this paperwork. Sherry adds a lucky penny for her daughter, like in with this paperwork. And he's like, you know, here, just keep this on you for good luck. Sherry asks Morgan to keep the penny in her pocket for safety purposes. Morgan is with a male friend and Sherry has no idea like who this guy is. But in the end, this is going to be her final encounter with her child.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. And it's a bit contentious.
Speaker 3: And as they walk away, Sherry has no idea this is going to be the last time she sees her child.
Speaker 2: That's horrible.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: And you just never know, right?
Speaker 3: You never know. It's a really sad situation. Now Morgan asks Sherry for a ride to the Minneapolis airport, but Sherry declined to take Morgan. Morgan had saved no money to move to Atlanta. A friend ended up giving Morgan $ 20 again because she has no money.
Speaker 2: How in the world are you going to move hundreds of miles away to a place where you have no family or anything like that to support you with no kind of plan? So maybe mom's on the right track about this might not be that great of an idea.
Speaker 3: Well, I think Sherry was right to be concerned. Moving with no money, no support system, and no concrete plans creates several vulnerabilities at once. Right. Housing can fall apart quickly. To secure an apartment or a place to live, you know, you've got deposits, fees, utilities. You've got to pay for transportation, food, all of those unexpected expenses that are going to pop up.
Speaker 2: Not the incidentals.
Speaker 3: And there's no emergency cushion. And no local support means fewer escape routes. Also, financial desperation makes people much easier to exploit. So there are too many reasons that Morgan was maybe not in a great place to relocate. Morgan wants out of the small town so badly that she's willing to expedite this move without planning or thinking it through, which seems quite impulsive to me.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But as a 19-year-old, who isn't impulsive? Their little frontal brains aren't developed yet.
Speaker 2: Right. Right.
Speaker 3: Now, Morgan told her mother she would be moving to Atlanta with her girlfriends, the ones she had been living with before. Right. Morgan told her mom that her friends were driving to Atlanta with their belongings and furniture and that Morgan was going to meet them in Atlanta. And, you know, her mom was kind of like, well, if that's true, like, why aren't you riding with them? Why are you flying? And Morgan was like, well, you know, they've got a car full of our stuff. There's not room for me.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a plan that young people would come up with.
Speaker 3: It does it.
Speaker 2: To a degree.
Speaker 3: On February 11th of 2016, Morgan got a ride to the airport for this early morning flight the next day. Sherry would later learn that everything Morgan had been telling her about these Atlanta plans was a lie, Dylan.
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: It was a lie. What Morgan did not divulge was that in her desperation to move to Atlanta, she had communicated with a man on Craigslist who was offering free rooming in exchange for house cleaning. At least that's what he'd indicated.
Speaker 2: Clothes optional.
Speaker 3: Now, I've seen these types of ads on Craigslist, and they always sketch me out. Like, yeah, right. You probably want to wear my skin suit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm not, I don't know. It may be fine, right? But I'm not going to find out. Because that would be way too, I don't know, it would be way too many unknowns.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You don't know if the people's cool or if they're weird.
Speaker 3: It's a complete stranger.
Speaker 2: Or dangerous.
Speaker 3: What they tell you is not necessarily the truth, right? And once they get you there, there's no telling what could happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what if they're gross? You've got to worry about their hygiene. Their hygiene plan or routine, rather?
Speaker 3: That's your biggest concern? My biggest concern is, like, they decapitate me and have sex with my dead body in the basement or something.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but what if at least they smell fresh when they do that? That would make that better, right?
Speaker 3: Well, if I'm decapitated, I probably don't care at that point.
Speaker 2: But even if they're normal and they want to hang... Here's what's even worse than having your head cut off. Say they're cool, they're normal, and they want to, like, just... in your business the whole time hanging out always around but they stink and you're just continually assaulted by their smell I can tell you've.
Speaker 3: Been working all night because yeah what that's an interesting point you're making Dylan yeah it's a unique take thank you you're always really concerned with.
Speaker 2: Smells yeah yeah I don't like.
Speaker 3: It your olfactory senses working overtime I.
Speaker 2: Don't like to smell people.
Speaker 3: No. No. Nobody wants to smell people.
Speaker 2: I don't even want to smell myself. Ew. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't want to smell you either.
Speaker 2: I'm not sniffing this.
Speaker 3: Now, with everything happening so fast and Morgan out of the area, many details are likely lost. But what we do know is that Morgan apparently spent the night at this man's house only to return later and find her belongings outside. Accompanied by notes stating that she was not allowed back. So the welcome mat has been rolled up.
Speaker 2: Just that quick?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Maybe she wasn't a very good cleaner.
Speaker 3: I don't know. We don't really know what happened. So again, there's no telling what happened. Morgan did contact a few friends, but there wasn't much they could do for her.
Speaker 2: And..
Speaker 3: A lot of that information maybe what how she was feeling or or the situation like kind of uh maybe wasn't relayed in a timely fashion by her friends or they just didn't tell anyone so we we don't really know like if this man wanted a sexual relationship or if he asked Morgan to do something and like she didn't hold up her end of the bargain, like the cleaning or I don't know. It just shows why situations like this are not good.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Right. Just not. Morgan is in Atlanta now with no money and no place to stay. So she's scrambling to find a, somewhere to spend the night. Things are not working out. Details are murky, but it does seem like Morgan somehow managed to get a motel room for the night. The next two weeks were spent all over suburban Atlanta between motels and who knows where else. She did get a job at the now defunct exotic dance club, The Top of Gainesville, which is located in Gainesville, Georgia, about an hour outside of Atlanta.
Speaker 2: What a strange name for a gentleman's club.
Speaker 3: The Top of Gainesville.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Morgan posted excitedly on Facebook about the job. It's unclear how she would end up an hour outside of Atlanta, but there has been some speculation from law enforcement. Because it sounds like the strip clubs in Atlanta conduct thorough background checks and fingerprinting for new employees, and they require documentation. And that's understandable. I mean, these clubs don't want to hire underage dancers and human trafficking is a big problem in Atlanta. In many cases, victims of human trafficking, especially foreign women, end up in these strip clubs and in sex work. And Morgan didn't have the proper documentation and likely had no money for background checks and like whatever else it takes to secure employment there. Atlanta requires adult entertainers to obtain a permit or employee card through the Atlanta Police Department License and Permits Unit. Cities regulate adult entertainment establishments, so it's likely that Gainesville, this little suburb, did not require a dancing permit.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay.
Speaker 3: A performance permit.
Speaker 2: And we're keeping track of the dancers, aren't we?
Speaker 3: I need you to show me your exotic dancer card.
Speaker 2: I have one.
Speaker 3: I bet you do.
Speaker 2: It's inspired, though.
Speaker 3: As are all of your cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Morgan had maintained an active presence on social media, especially Facebook. When she arrived in Atlanta on February 12th, she was posting and interacting with friends, kind of business as usual. But by February 25th, Morgan had gone silent. Morgan had regularly checked in with her best friend, Taryn, who was still living in South Dakota. Since Sherry and Morgan were kind of on the fritz, Sherry had no idea that her daughter had stopped posting on Facebook. So a few weeks into March, a concerned Taryn, the best friend, goes to Sherry to explain, you know, Morgan has not contacted me, which is out of character.
Speaker 2: So already, pretty quickly, they're starting to get worried.
Speaker 3: Pretty quickly, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and that's going to strike you, You're going to notice that, right? If a friend or a family member just starts acting or not acting or not responding or anything that's really out of character for them, right? It's going to make you sit up and notice.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They just kind of drop off, drop out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Where'd they go? Now, hearing this, Sherry panics. She immediately contacted law enforcement in Atlanta to report her daughter missing. Sherry hopped on a plane hoping to search for Morgan. This was several weeks after Morgan was last heard from. Sherry filed a missing persons report on March 12th, and Morgan was last active on social media February 25th. And that's a very big gap and leaves everyone at a disadvantage when it comes to tracking down Morgan. It's so unfortunate, and it really wasn't Sherry's fault. She had not been keeping up with her daughter because, again, they had had this falling out. Sherry had been accustomed to these longer gaps, like between Morgan's messages. But now this feels very bad. even when things were bad between the mother and daughter, Morgan talked to Taryn every day, her best friend.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So even if she's not talking to mom, she's going to talk to her bestie every day, sometimes multiple times a day. So they were in constant contact. So when the best friend starts to notice, yeah, something's not right.
Speaker 2: Well, I wondered if that made her mom even, you know, because when you have a falling out or whatever, and then the, gaps in them contacting you. You know, sometimes that can happen even when you're not arguing. It just happens. Life happens, you know?
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: People get busy with their jobs or just trying to figure things out. But then everybody that knows them all of a sudden loses contact. I mean, what do you do? What do you do then? I mean, what do you even do with that information?
Speaker 3: When Sherry arrives in Atlanta, she is unsure about her daughter's activities. She's unaware that Morgan had made a deal with a man online for housing and She doesn't know about the strip club. Sherry's pretty clueless about all of this. She does try to retrace her daughter's steps. But again, Sherry's been in the dark about many of Morgan's activities. So it's really hard for her to piece together like a timeline and, you know, the exact places she had been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't even know what she's been doing, where she's been hanging out.
Speaker 3: Morgan had been keeping these secrets from people, which makes her case even more mysterious. As more information comes out, Sherry is shocked and growing more panicked by the minute. Everything her daughter had shared with her was a lie, and now her daughter is missing. Sherry does not know what to do. She feels helpless. And it's easy for us to blame Morgan, right? Little armchair quarterbacks. She lied. You know, she was ill-prepared for this move. She hadn't saved any money. She didn't have proper housing. Her friends weren't moving, as she'd said. But we must remember that Morgan is incredibly young. I mean, she's 19 and naive. She was trying to do what she thought was best to get out of South Dakota and live her dreams. And when we're young, we do all kinds of stupid things and make terrible decisions. It's part of growing up. So I'm trying to give Morgan a little grace because no matter what she was doing, Morgan did not deserve to be a victim.
Speaker 2: Well, no, of course not. Poor planning certainly doesn't mean you deserve to be a victim. But, you know, even under the best set of circumstances, if you had planned, had a little money, things lined up more so than Morgan did, it's still going to be tough to move that far. And you're excited now. To do this thing. But then you're going very quickly. When you jump out there. You're going to figure out. That it's not all it's cracked up to be. Right. That things are hard. When everything's your responsibility. You know mom and dad aren't taking care of things now. You don't have that. You know safety net to fall back on. It's very tough.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: Her being young. And dumb if you will. As the saying goes. And not planning or any of that. Gosh, she almost guaranteed she was going to have issues of some sort, right?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: It's not going to just work out.
Speaker 3: Right. But when you're 19... You don't always consider the bigger picture.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: No, you're.
Speaker 3: Because you're accustomed to things working out, typically because you're under mom and dad's roof.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And they fix things for you.
Speaker 2: Somehow the bills get paid. I don't know. You have support.
Speaker 3: Exactly. But, you know, when you're 19, you're not thinking about these things. I know I definitely was not thinking about these things at 19. No.
Speaker 2: And like you said, as you get older and it's almost inevitable that you're going to butt your heads with your parents in some way. You know, sometimes it's worse than others. But as a young person, you can't tell the young person anything.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: They think they have it all figured out. You're just a dumb old person who, you know, just blew all their chances at life. You know, and you can't hold me back from living my dreams.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And, you know, it's funny. It's when we're out and about and we'll hear young people sometimes talking to each other. And you can tell they still had that. It's cute to a degree. They still have that naivety, if that's even a word, to themselves about just how the world is and how things work. And they'll be saying some big thing.
Speaker 3: It's easy to be an idealist when you're 18. It really is.
Speaker 2: It truly is.
Speaker 3: Because we were all like that at one point. I know I was all bright-eyed and mushy-tailed, ready to slay the world, right?
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Sherry recognized that her daughter was in a state of hypervigilance and survival mode. Now, Sherry, throughout this process, she does seem to like support and understand like what Morgan was thinking and some of the actions that, you know, Morgan, the steps Morgan was taking. So, I mean, her mom is not completely like blaming Morgan at all. She's like really trying to understand her daughter. Right. And support her daughter.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean, she just wants to find her daughter, right?
Speaker 3: Yes, Dylan, that's the ultimate goal.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I'm saying you can chastise her later or, you know, maybe try to get some of this through her thick head. But now I'm sure your only concern is finding her and your worry is only going to grow as you continue to look for them. But then not knowing exactly... what she was doing or who she was doing it with, it makes it almost an impossible task.
Speaker 3: Well, given Morgan had limited contact with her mother in the weeks leading up to her disappearance, law enforcement initially treated it as a voluntary disappearance. Morgan had chosen to go off the radar. She's an adult. She's gone no contact. She lied about her activities. So she's probably just off doing her thing. And it's easy for law enforcement to reach this conclusion, right? I mean, it does seem a little bit like lazy police work to me. Very rarely do people just choose to go off the grid and become a missing person.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: We hear this time and time again in these types of cases, especially adult missing persons cases. They don't receive the same urgency or attention as children.
Speaker 2: No, they'll say they have a right to not be found.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: If they don't want to be.
Speaker 3: That is something they say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, literally is.
Speaker 3: Which, I mean, yes, to an extent, but if it's just completely out of someone's wheelhouse to do that type of thing, I just think sometimes stop being lazy and look into it, cops.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah. Yeah, I mean, the cops have access to things that the public doesn't, so it should be very easy for them to track her social, track maybe her finances, if she has a debit card or anything like that, and see if there's activity, see if her social's been used to apply for jobs or anything like that. So it doesn't seem like a half a day, which I know I'm simplifying the process of looking for someone who's missing, but it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to at least take a glance at it, right?
Speaker 3: Go ask some questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Make a few phone calls.
Speaker 2: Right. Try to build a timeline.
Speaker 3: Utilize social media.
Speaker 2: Look up her Facebooks.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, have you seen this person? Here's a photo. It gets circulated. I mean, come on. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Despite the police's nonchalant approach to the case, Sherry's deeply troubled. Most parents would be. Sherry reached out to TJ Ward, a private investigator, and to this nonprofit called For Sarah. For Sarah is an organization dedicated to helping sex workers and adult entertainers escape dangerous situations. So upon hearing Morgan's story, the founder sprang into action to assist Sherry. So this is an excellent resource.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of this group.
Speaker 3: For Sarah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me either. Now, it is learned that on the night Morgan seemingly disappeared, which was Monday, February 25th of 2016, she had auditioned at a nightclub in northeast Atlanta called T's.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought you were just going to say it was called Tits and Taters.
Speaker 3: Yes. Yes, it's Tits and Taters, Dylan.
Speaker 2: I would go there and hang out.
Speaker 3: No, that's their lunch buffet.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: All you can eat, taters and some titties.
Speaker 2: All you can eat taters and tits.
Speaker 3: Morgan had met another young woman at this club who called herself Lilith Chaos. And she also had like an online persona, Diamond. Whoa.
Speaker 2: What if Lilith Chaos was her God-given name?
Speaker 3: That'd be awesome, right? Now, in my research, it has been said that Lilith paid for Morgan's permit to so she could dance at T's.
Speaker 2: That's that booty-shaking permit.
Speaker 3: Now, the two young women were about the same age, dancing at this club, and they headed off. They're spending time together. After they depart T's, the two went to Top of Gainesville to dance for the night. The club's owner recalled that Morgan left the club with Lilith and her boyfriend. The only money Morgan had was on an H & R Block refund card. And authorities discovered that whatever money was on that card had not been spent.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So again, we're told Morgan doesn't have any money, but it sounds like she has access to some money, or at least a little bit of money.
Speaker 2: Some tax returns.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming H & R Block, right? But the beginning of the investigation was rough.
Speaker 2: Police..
Speaker 3: Dragged their feet. There wasn't a lot of information to go on. And soon they discovered she had not been active on social media since the 25th of February. However, friends noted that she had posted a video on February 26th. It appears that she's walking in a park. The video features Morgan kind of smiling slyly at the camera with wind blowing through her hair. But there is a man like noticeably following behind her in the video.
Speaker 2: A lot close behind her, it seems.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Morgan's phone pinged a final time just a few days later on February 29th near Yellow River Park. It is a 566-acre park in Stone Mountain, Georgia, east of Atlanta. It appears to be the same park where that video was shot. Sadly, Morgan's phone was never recovered. And, you know, the phone really could tell us so much about her activities.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah.
Speaker 3: Just based on the cell phone pings and the conversation she's having. So it's a shame that they have not been able to recover her phone. While Sherry is in town searching for Morgan, she learns from Tease's owner that Lilith Chaos returned to the club the same night that she'd left with Morgan. Sherry meets with Lilith and her boyfriend. And according to Sherry, Lilith is polite and seemingly helpful. But the boyfriend appears cold and distant.
Speaker 2: Which sends up.
Speaker 3: A little bit of a red flag to this mother. Lilith claimed they had last seen Morgan at a Citgo gas station in Covington, Georgia. This location is about an hour and 15 minutes away from Gainesville, where they had been dancing that night. Lilith stated that they had given Morgan a ride to the Citgo, and that at one point they said Morgan got into a green Mitsubishi Eclipse.
Speaker 2: Oh, no.
Speaker 3: Both Lilith and the boyfriend said they didn't see her speak to Morgan after they dropped her off at this gas station. And she allegedly got into this green Mitsubishi Eclipse.
Speaker 2: What a badass car.
Speaker 3: So why would Morgan ask to be dropped off so far away from the club? I mean, she didn't know anyone in Covington or so it seems, right? And that's a far, you know, pretty far distance, an hour and 15 minutes. And what were the three of them doing there? I mean, there's like a lot of unanswered questions. And if you recently like met this girl, knowing she had no one in town, she's brand new. You're just going to ditch her at a gas station, not offer her like a place to stay. I don't know. It just makes no sense to me.
Speaker 2: Seems a little odd.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they're thinking, but I know as a young person, I would have been like really concerned for this young lady knowing she was essentially homeless and And probably would have been like, hey, do you want to come crash?
Speaker 2: So even as a young person, you would have been like, we need to do something for her, help her a little bit, right?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I think most people would feel that way.
Speaker 3: Sherry would later say the couple told these different versions of the story. I mean, not incredibly different, but different enough to raise, again, red flags with her. The more Sherry discussed that evening with this couple, the more she noticed things kind of changing. The story, the tone, the attitude, just kind of everything. And the other thing is this couple lives less than a mile from the Yellow River Park where Morgan's phone last pinged.
Speaker 2: Oh, my gosh.
Speaker 3: So it seems to me like perhaps police should be taking a closer look at this couple. Sherry's doing most of the legwork to find her daughter since police are slow to react. She sets up a GoFundMe page to pay for the private investigator and other expenses associated with being in Atlanta. Now, Dylan, this is where the case takes a very odd turn. You know, someone began posing as Morgan online under her dancer persona. I guess she had created some kind of page, fan page, whatever. or an account for this dancing persona. Alyssa, Morgan's older sister, began speaking with this imposter online, as did one of Morgan's friends. She became convinced that Morgan was not missing. So the sister, Alyssa, believes that Morgan simply wanted to cut ties with her family. She was not missing at all. Alyssa went as far as accusing her mother of lying about Morgan's disappearance. So she could pocket money from the fundraiser.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 3: She accused Sherry of making it all up. A Facebook page called Missing Morgan had been set up to share information about the case. And Alyssa and this friend told the 10,000 plus members on this Facebook page that this story was a hoax.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Even though Morgan's case was active and being investigated by the Atlanta Police Department.
Speaker 2: And they still hadn't heard from her.
Speaker 3: But many people believed Alyssa's claims. People are supporting Sherry and they want to find Morgan, but others think it's a hoax. painting sherry as this bad guy who's like exploiting her daughter for money.
Speaker 2: And what's funny about the being online part is people get so strongly their convictions whenever they fall come down on a side of a conversation or an issue Man, they will die on that hill. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: They go so hardcore just almost instantly. You know, it's almost however it makes you feel in the very beginning. That's the side you're on. And it's like people very seldom through conversation and debate like change their mind, you know?
Speaker 3: Right. Or when something shocking comes out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it doesn't fit their or support their narrative.
Speaker 3: Exactly. That doesn't support what they've been saying.
Speaker 2: Right. It's lies. It's whatever. And now it's AI, which I think it's the real purpose of AI is to make us not believe real things when we see them. Real important things. People just say, oh, it's AI. There's no way it's true.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have to be good enough to fool us. It's just going to make us not believe the real stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah. I mean, have you met AI? It can't even give me proper directions. Like, we've had Google Maps for years, which is, you know, I would say almost a mini version of AI, right?
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Giving you directions. Every fucking time I get lost. Yeah. It takes me, like, some very strange way around town. I don't know why the cats are climbing the curtains right now. If AI could do anything, can it solve my cat crisis?
Speaker 2: No, how do you take a crosstown trip that can literally be three turns, you know, end up on the major thoroughfare and just ride through town, and you take me through neighborhoods I've never seen before.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes.
Speaker 2: With, like, dead-end streets, four-way stop signs, roundabouts, switchbacks. You know, turn around this guy's driveway and then go across here. And it's like you could have just went and you'll look on the map and you're like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Well, all AI does anyway is just read a bunch of shit on the Internet and like explain it to you like Cliff's notes.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And so it can give you tons of misinformation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it could be that could be its base could be misinformation.
Speaker 3: OK. A while back, I have to say there is a missing persons case that we covered some years ago. And I was just interested in like, has there been any more, you know, any more investigation or whatever come out in this case? And I looked it up and there is a true crime podcast that had posted this entire like long blog post on their website about this particular missing persons case. Right. Where they name like the accused suspect and that they found this missing persons body and all this shit. completely fabricated not correct at all it sounds like fucking fan fiction or some shit about a real missing persons case it's so weird and it's very obvious to me AI wrote this script for this podcast and that they did no research to like find out if it's true that's crazy because this victim's never been found she's still missing we don't know if it was a homicide there's definitely not a suspect I mean none of it is true well look and they've still got it out there on the internet like it's a true.
Speaker 2: Thing And I think that's very dangerous. Now, that might be okay if you're talking about comic books or, you know, any Legos or something like that to not have accurate information. But I think it's unethical. You know, there's a lot of discussion about how ethical podcast space is, period. But I think that's just, when you're talking about real people, real victims, real people's lives and stories, that's not okay. Okay. It's not okay to put some slop out there and call it the truth.
Speaker 3: No, it's terrible. And I can't even believe that this post is still up, that no one's called these people out. There's absolutely no credibility at all to this story.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it didn't just have a couple of minor mistakes. The whole thing's not right. The whole story. Right. Which is crazy.
Speaker 3: It sounds to me like some bizarre AI thing. script just making up some script for this podcast.
Speaker 2: No it's funny there's a like a tone like you'll see these videos and sometimes they'll trick you for a second but if you hear the tone and the cadence of the dialogue and just watch you you almost instantly know that this is not a real video this is ai right.
Speaker 3: Well, in the end, this just creates confusion. It undermines the investigation. It does more harm than good, especially when it is proven to be a lie. So the story about a hoax is a lie. Very harmful, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because now you have a lot of people, they don't even think Morgan's missing.
Speaker 2: Well, and you'll have people that..
Speaker 3: It just derails the whole investigation.
Speaker 2: You'll have people that repeat that over and over again. You'll have, even if some facts or some big kind of break in the case was to come, people will be like, that's not true. This is what I heard. And it really could be damaging people to maybe resources or donations that could help fund the search or anything like that. Yeah, I just don't understand why they would do that. Unless they truly believed it was a hoax and not real, which maybe is the case.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean, it does seem her sister believed that. that this was all a hoax. But I also wonder, you know, years later, does she look back and be like, oh gosh, I have an egg on my face because I was wrong. Right. And I possibly, potentially, like, detracted from this case. I don't know. Alyssa believes her opinion so strongly that she posts on Facebook that she's spoken to Morgan and that Sherry knows her daughter is safe and the whole ordeal is just for attention. Sherry just wants attention.
Speaker 2: She's made up.
Speaker 3: The whole thing. She goes on to say she was manipulated and abused by this woman her entire life. That's a quote. She had allegedly cut off contact with her mother, Sherry, and had only known about Morgan being missing after law enforcement contacted her. She said, quote, Sherry fed me the same lies as everyone else through this and is the sole reason Morgan left and doesn't want to reveal herself.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So it sounds like there's a lot of animosity between Alyssa and her mother. Alyssa goes on to describe Sherry as manipulative, bipolar, and choosing different personalities to fit the narrative.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Now, it turns out that Sherry had been a young mother when Alyssa was born, like a teen mom, and that she had placed her daughter in the custody of her parents. So Alyssa was raised by her grandparents, and she held deep resentment about it. Sherry believed this is why Alyssa had such deep-seated anger and was posting all of these accusations and claims on social media. Due to this back and forth, Morgan's case was diminished. Sherry and the rest of the family began receiving backlash and hate online.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: Death threats, just horrible stuff.
Speaker 2: T.J.
Speaker 3: Ward, the private investigator, agreed that at first he thought Morgan had staged... this disappearance to break away from her family and start a new life. But when Morgan didn't start showing up for, like, scheduled dates and appointments, jobs, you know, she's supposed to dance this night, whatever, his concerns kind of grew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, but she'd already moved away. You know, it's not like she's trying to get out of her mom's house or something. She'd already moved away a good distance into a new city. And now she's doing these things. It's siding her, right? Shaking her little booty on the dance floor, if you will.
Speaker 3: Okay. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to be a dancer.
Speaker 3: I know you do. You just want to go to the Pink Pony Club.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I just want somebody to pour a bucket of water on me on stage.
Speaker 3: Ooh. Like Flashdance?
Speaker 2: Exactly like Flashdance.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: With me wearing that exact outfit.
Speaker 3: Okay. The leg warmers.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: The little gray... Sweatshirt with the neckline cut out.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a big gray sweatshirt on me.
Speaker 3: Now, as the case gained traction, despite the setbacks, law enforcement considered foul play was involved in Morgan's disappearance. Law enforcement questioned everyone who came into contact with Morgan during those few weeks in Georgia. They tracked down the man from Craigslist. He was cleared along with some of the other people who had come into contact with Morgan. Police were still skeptical of the couple. The couple that, you know, she had met at the nightclub, Lilith Chaos.
Speaker 2: Right, the ones who live near Yellow, the park.
Speaker 3: And her boyfriend, yes. But they had no evidence to prove that they were involved in Morgan's disappearance. Searches were organized. Flyers were passed out. A billboard was erected. But there was no sign of Morgan. Tips and sightings were reported, but none brought law enforcement any closer to finding Morgan, and eventually Sherry had to return to South Dakota. Years passed with no word on Morgan, like her case, it just goes cold. But Sherry had been keeping watch on that couple, Lilith and her boyfriend. She kept tabs on their move out of state, their breakup, and even after they settled in two different states.
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Sherry had this gut feeling that they knew more and just could not let it go.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and you almost can't blame her, right? They're telling, you know, their stories are changing. Maybe she's just getting like a vibe from them that they're kind of sketchy. Not being truthful. And that would bug you. It's like something you couldn't let go of.
Speaker 3: And it does seem like all of those things, Dylan. Nearly seven and a half years after Morgan's disappearance, a shocking development emerged. On July 26th of 2023... The FBI, which is now involved, along with the GBI, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, and multiple law enforcement agencies, they announced plans to search a residence on South Broad Street in Porterdale, Georgia. They had received a tip that they deemed credible, and it was about human remains at this location.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Though details were kept tight-lipped, Newton County officials confirmed that the remains of Morgan Bauer had been discovered the manner of death homicide by strangulation.
Speaker 2: Oh my God. So she's no longer missing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now, interestingly enough, the indictment named the very couple Sherry had suspected all along. Lilith Chaos, whose real name is Caitlin Goble, and her then-boyfriend Jonathan Alexander Warren were were both arrested in October of 2023, just a few months after Morgan's remains were uncovered.
Speaker 2: Damn, what a last name, right? Goebbels?
Speaker 3: Caitlin was living in Peoria, Illinois, on charges of... So she's living in, I'm sorry, in Peoria, Illinois, and she is charged with concealing a death and tampering with evidence. Jonathan, who goes by the name Alex, was living in Los Angeles, California... Now, he's arrested on charges of murder, aggravated assault, and concealing a death. It was revealed that after strangling Morgan, the couple allegedly attempted to burn her body to hide evidence. So their home, again, very close to the place Morgan's phone last pinged.
Speaker 2: Now, I wonder how or if the cops did at all take a look at this couple early on. so but no I'm sorry you said they did but there really wasn't any kind of evidence no nothing to so nothing for like a search warrant or anything like that so now I wonder what broke.
Speaker 3: The case we're gonna get to that so on the day of the murder Caitlin posted a bizarre threat about her boyfriend Alex saying he was a murderer and that she was quote unwilling to share her man with anyone.
Speaker 2: Else that's right he's mine If.
Speaker 3: You hear violence in the background, it's because our cats are psychotic.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God.
Speaker 3: They wake up every day and choose violence.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What is happening? Damn.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's like they're on a mission to fuck each other up.
Speaker 2: They really are. All right, guys. Cut it out.
Speaker 3: I don't have access to that Facebook post or whatever. But, again, it was something along those lines of, like, My man's a murderer, and I ain't going to share him.
Speaker 2: He's mine. You may have had him once, but I have him all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: He don't want you. He wants me. Oh, God. Remember that stupid social media song?
Speaker 2: They need to bring that trend back.
Speaker 3: It was always like.
Speaker 2: The roughest couple.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That nobody else wants, and they would be all in, too.
Speaker 3: I'm fighting for my man.
Speaker 2: They would be for real.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, let me just say, Dylan, trust me, bro. I've seen Caitlin's former man, Alex. And I'm just going to say I highly doubt anyone was busting down that door.
Speaker 2: OK.
Speaker 3: OK.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's funny or something. Maybe he has a really good personality.
Speaker 3: Maybe. Yeah. Maybe he's charming.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Charming as a motherfucking pig. All right, so after the murder, Alex and Caitlin moved to Illinois, where she went on to dance at another club. They were both addicted to heroin, and Alex was described as being very abusive. The couple moved in with Caitlin's grandmother and her partner. So this grandma and her boyfriend were so creeped out by Alex and his very just weird behavior that they kicked him out of their house.
Speaker 2: Oh, gosh.
Speaker 3: Alex camped in their backyard. And once they were finally able to remove him from the property, he stalked and harassed them for months, making threats.
Speaker 2: Just hollering at them.
Speaker 3: Stalking them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's out in the bushes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Come on, I'm going to get you. Look, I'm going to get you for what you've done to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Come on, I can't sleep in the house. You won't even let me sleep in the backyard either, you son of a bitch.
Speaker 3: How dare you. Now, eventually, Alex moved to Los Angeles. Caitlin met and married a guy named David Settles and had two children. Now, I don't know how true this is, but allegedly, after Caitlin's first child was born, Alex sent her a threatening message, basically saying, like, if you ever tell anyone what we did to that girl, meaning Morgan, that he would kill her and the child.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 3: A scared Caitlin confessed to her husband, David, what had happened. But instead of calling police at that time, Caitlin claims David used that information to control her.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: They both struggled with drug and alcohol abuse. The relationship was turbulent, just filled with violence. And after they finally split up, that's when David went to Atlanta police with the tip about Morgan's remains.
Speaker 2: So that's what broke the case open.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Hell hath no fury.
Speaker 2: Like a David scorned.
Speaker 3: Like a David scorned. Caitlin and Alex were arrested and extradited back to Georgia, where they were held without bail. In a strange turn of events, Alex pled guilty to charges of malice murder, concealing the death of another, aggravated assault, tampering with evidence, and necrophilia?
Speaker 2: Ew.
Speaker 3: Alex requested the death penalty?
Speaker 2: Kill me.
Speaker 3: I love your inner monologue that you let out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I unleash it on our listeners. Kill me. I don't deserve to live.
Speaker 3: In the end, he was given the life without parole. No. Caitlyn Goebel's defense team attempted to have her declared incompetent to stand trial. Prosecutors pushed to use Caitlyn's social media posts that occult involvement and Satanism led the couple to kill Morgan.
Speaker 2: From Facebook posts?
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know what kind of posts they were, too. I've seen them before.
Speaker 3: During the 2025 hearing, Alex told investigators what happened to Morgan's body after death, and the details go considerably beyond what was contained in the original indictment.
Speaker 2: Well, it was probably a post that said something like, I fight hard, but I love harder. Something like that. You ever seen them like that? Those Facebook posts.
Speaker 3: You ever seen them like that? Gosh, you're a country.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen those?
Speaker 3: You ever seen them? I mean, I understand. Yes.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: I know the kinds of posts you are speaking of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll have like skeletons and hearts.
Speaker 3: Or like the Joker.
Speaker 2: Or the witches and stuff.
Speaker 3: Or they'll have like Harley Quinn and be like, you know. I've been to hell and back, but I'm a survivor.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Or like a phoenix rising up out of the cigarette ashes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, out of an ashtray.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yes. Alex Warren told investigators that both he and Caitlin had put their hands around Morgan's neck, causing death. Then the couple dismembered Morgan's body. Alex admitted to committing sex acts with Morgan's torso over the period of several days.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God. That's disgusting in so many ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah. At the hearing, prosecutors stated that Alex Warren told them that he and Caitlin Goble had eaten part of Morgan's genitalia.
Speaker 2: So it just keeps getting worse.
Speaker 3: These people are incredibly fucked up people. Three days after her murder, the couple placed Morgan's body in a suitcase and burned it in the backyard. Alex also told investigators that Caitlin Goble was not only interested in Satanism, like serial killers, the occult, but also forensic pathology, and had allegedly wanted to murder someone so she could dissect a human body. She wanted to perform her own autopsy. Ooh. There is also a piece of evidence taken from Caitlin Goble's social media showing her with what appears to be a severed head.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Now, prosecutors want to use this as well as her interests in these, I guess you could say, dark arts, dark activities at trial because it shows that Caitlin had motive and her motive was like, I want to kill someone because I am the devil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she posts stuff like, I love the devil.
Speaker 3: My name is Lilith Chaos. Yeah. Now, as far as I can tell, Goebbels is still awaiting trial in Georgia. There's no new information about her trial date, anything like that. And that wraps up our case on Morgan Bauer. It's the saddest story.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God. So we started out as a missing person. And then her remains were found. And they actually got the people who killed her.
Speaker 3: Yes. So the family finally has some closure. Justice has partially been served. But Caitlin Goble needs to pay for what she did.
Speaker 2: Well, sure she does. Well, yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think she was mentally incompetent to stand trial. She was competent enough to participate in all this sick shit.
Speaker 2: So do we think this was a thrill kill? Probably.
Speaker 3: Probably.
Speaker 2: Something along that line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a crime of opportunity, a thrill kill.
Speaker 2: You have this girl, vulnerable.
Speaker 3: Yep. We're going to take advantage of this situation.
Speaker 2: God, pieces of shit.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely. Damn. It's like all of Sherry's worst nightmares came to fruition.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: About her daughter moving to Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Exactly what she was worried about. Her coming across some violent, terrible people.
Speaker 3: Deviant people.
Speaker 2: God, what sickos.
Speaker 3: Anytime I hear necrophilia, I'm like, what the fuck is wrong with you?
Speaker 2: Well, even the word alone is dark and scary, right?
Speaker 3: That's just a level of depravity I cannot wrap my brain around.
Speaker 2: I don't even want to kiss a dead person.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 3: No, I don't want to kiss a dead body.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't kiss my dead body?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't go to second base with your dead body.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't touch my heart and nipple?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 3: That's sad.
Speaker 2: I don't want to feel a cold nipple. That would be weird.
Speaker 3: You will feel my corpse nipple. That's the name of my new punk band, Corpse Nipple.
Speaker 2: Okay, pretty groovy. Now, if I can get some heat lamps in there, well, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: Okay, moving along here, Dylan.
Speaker 2: We could definitely snuggle. I would snuggle you one more time.
Speaker 3: What if I shit on you?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you probably already did all that.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: We'll clean you up.
Speaker 3: I did that before I died. Sorry. All right. All right. Well, that wraps up our case on Morgan Bauer. Again, such a tragedy.
Speaker 2: It's terrible.
Speaker 3: This story has haunted me since the first moment I heard of her disappearance years ago. I am glad her family does finally have some answers at least. Yeah. That not knowing part is so hard.
Speaker 2: No, I'm glad they got the animals that did this to this poor girl.
Speaker 3: But it's also got to be quite a burden to live with the knowledge of what they did. As a mom, I can't imagine what Sherry goes through every day thinking about what these fucking demons did to her child.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's got to be one of the worst parts of having a loved one be the victim of a homicide. Just knowing that they were probably scared and what was going through their mind in their last moments. And, yeah, I mean, I'm sure that could probably drive you crazy thinking about that.
Speaker 3: I've seen Sherry. She's active on social media. She still discusses her daughter's case and advocates for other families, other victims, other missing persons. And she uses that Missing Morgan Facebook page to promote flyers and posters to share information about other missing persons.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So she does seem to have an interest in advocacy.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think that really drives a lot of people. who've lost somebody like this, and they really do a lot of good.
Speaker 3: Well, it's trying to find, I guess, a little bit of silver lining inside the most devastating thing that could happen to you.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, these passionate parents and friends and family of victims... Change legislation. You know, they get new laws on the books that protect everyone.
Speaker 3: They get shit done.
Speaker 2: They get shit done.
Speaker 3: Like Tim Miller with Texas EquiSearch.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: You know, his daughter was a victim of the, like the Texas Killing Fields murders. And he went on to create this organization that has helped find, you know, many missing people. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. Well, thank you for that, Heather. And thank you listeners for tuning in once again. Sorry I was a little flat. A little flat on this episode. I was a little bit tired. But that's alright.
Speaker 3: We forgive you.
Speaker 2: I'm going to get some sleep.
Speaker 3: You can't always be the top of Gainesville. You can't always be the top of your game.
Speaker 2: I'm going to come over to Frankenfurters. That's where I'm going to dance at.
Speaker 3: My new club, the Top of Dillon.
Speaker 2: No, I came up with the Pole Barn.
Speaker 3: You said the Pole Barn would be a good name.
Speaker 2: Good name for a male strip club.
Speaker 3: Or like a pole fitness academy. Where people go and learn, like, to, you know, intro to pole. We call it the pole barn.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay. Yeah. Yeah. All right.
Speaker 3: Okay. We're going to put you to bed. Yeah. Good night, Dylan. Bye.