Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It is May twenty ninth.
Speaker 3: We're live at Cell Block G today because our main studio is undergoing some sort of a fix.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the break, guys, we started talking about drugs and we were oh yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: We went from we were convinced.
Speaker 3: By the end of the show today we will have tried uh pruno, you know, the toilet wine that they make in jail, and some sort of butter.
Speaker 2: Rice Christians Country.
Speaker 1: You find out what you're made of when you're on the inside, and we're not.
Speaker 5: Made of much.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 5: We are crumbling also very quickly.
Speaker 3: If you guys might help me out, I have I have two invitations to join a couple of gangs already here in Yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay, so there's only four of us.
Speaker 3: Well one of them is just one of them is just the white power thing. I don't know if I'm I'm not down with the with the ideology, but I mean in terms of like protection and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to do a lot more push ups to hold the white power flag. Well, then the other gang is because you're out numbered, is the Clean.
Speaker 2: Boys gang, which I had never heard of.
Speaker 1: Oh tell me more about the clean That's it's just like you could.
Speaker 2: Only they said. The only requirement is no tattoos.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, you don't have, right, So I I qualify for that.
Speaker 1: I could probably tattoo you with a pen while we're in here.
Speaker 5: Do you think we should do.
Speaker 2: That prison tat? Huh?
Speaker 1: Howard cheek like a ballpoint pen and I and I.
Speaker 2: Start jabbing it into my skin.
Speaker 5: And it bleeds? Does it stay?
Speaker 4: See?
Speaker 1: These are things you have early on when you get into prison. These are Oh thank you.
Speaker 5: You use a sharpie. A sharp sharpe will leave a lasting long It will last a little longer.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, So give me you need something to give me a risk. You need to poke into my skin and then put.
Speaker 1: I have the I have this sharper pen, and then I should use the you to use a paper clip.
Speaker 3: Here's there's some pushpins over there that'll work. There we go all right, and.
Speaker 5: Then I put the sharpie ink in your bloodstream.
Speaker 2: Sounds about right.
Speaker 3: Hey, We told you a couple of weeks ago about that Smokey Robinson lawsuit these four women accuse him of sexual abuse for years. He has now filed a counter suit for five hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 1: He should, He should because listen, like I've said from go, Smokey Robinson is no saint.
Speaker 5: I don't know that. It's just a guess.
Speaker 1: You don't look like that and go through that many decades in the music career and not get what you want when it comes to women and things.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: But had he been the kind of person to assault women that doesn't start when you're seventy eight years old, that is something we would have heard about retroactively. We would have heard about it decades ago. And that's not who he is, because we would have heard about it if that was who he is.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Remember, so we saw this lawsuit from the four women a couple of weeks ago. According to this counter suit, Smokey Robinson and his wife Francis alleged that these four housekeepers tried to extort one hundred million dollars from them last year.
Speaker 1: It's transparent to me that they stayed around. They probably tried to elicit behavior that they could then turn around and sue for a great deal.
Speaker 5: Of money.
Speaker 3: For other quick celebrity news. Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence are now officially in laws. Eddie's oldest son married Martin Lawrence's oldest daughter.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool, married earlier this month.
Speaker 5: All right, we.
Speaker 1: Are running out of time, so we'll get to it coming up next.
Speaker 2: But this is the story.
Speaker 1: This was a news item that didn't receive too much attention. There was a mother's body found downtown LA and the Westlake neighborhood. Still don't know how she died, but the family is blaming Los Angeles for not clearing these encampments like the one where mom died ops. When her family went to go look for her, they found her body being eaten by dogs. I mean, that's really the awful, awful thing that makes the headline and makes this story stick around. But the fact that a mother, a forty six year old mother, was found dead in this homeless encampment that happened under the rules of Los Angeles, that happened under the lack of rules of Los Angeles. When you're legislating with feelings for homeless people and you're legislating, Oh, I don't want to do that. I don't want to force them into jail or off the street, or take away their cardboard box or their tents or whatever.
Speaker 5: That's not cool.
Speaker 1: The people on the West Side and their ivory towers, they don't like that. It's not good for me politically. So I'll just let anything go. Well, when you let anything go, anything goes to the tune of what could be multiple murders. And as a city on the hook for that, this family says it should be, and I got to agree with them.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that when we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: You ever race a Ferrari on an F one track? Sounds like fun, isn't it done?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 1: Would you open it up? I mean, would you really take advantage? Or would you go thirty five?
Speaker 2: I'm in a Ferrari on an F one track. Would you'd have to? Wouldn't you?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: You, even if it scared the living crap out of.
Speaker 5: You, you'd have to, now, yes, you would.
Speaker 2: A couple stories that were following.
Speaker 3: Also, a federal court has block President Trump from imposing tariffs on imports using an emergency powers law. So that kind of throws everything into question.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Global financial markets have been rattled for the last couple of months because of these tariffs, and actually shot up today as a result of this ruling. It's from the US Court of International Trade. The Trump administration immediately appealed.
Speaker 1: There is a story going around about I don't want to butcher her name. Lucrecia Lucretia Lucretia Lucretia Baranjas, forty six years old, found dead, oh, right around Mother's Day by one of our three daughters. This is a US Army veteran found dead by one of our three daughters. One of the daughters used the Find my iPhone app to find her mom, and she did. A large tarp covered shelter in a notorious Westlake cul de Sac that is home to a homeless encampment. There was another dead person in the encampment, a guy thirty nine year old man, along with two live dogs that were taking advantage of the situation, shall we say. The LAPD says that this was a suspected drug overdose, and the family says.
Speaker 5: That the LA was too quick to rule out foul play.
Speaker 3: Part of the reason the family believes there may be something nefarious here is that there were a couple other people in that area at the time. Just before the bodies were found, they said they heard a woman screaming for help very early in the morning, and the witnesses said that the screaming was coming from the direction of the makeshift tent, but nobody really intervened. It was the next day that the witnesses learned of Lucretia's death and the guy that was with her. No established relationship between those two anyway at this point, but Lucretia's family says that she was an Army veteran.
Speaker 2: She was a loving mother.
Speaker 3: The oldest daughter had been diagnosed with cancer three years ago and suffered from depression, but said she did everything in her power to support the family. Another sister says mom cared deeply for other people who might have been struggling and would bring clothes and food to homeless people, even if she didn't have that much money herself.
Speaker 5: Now the family is upset with the LAPD.
Speaker 1: They believe it was a murder, that something was nefarious, and I don't blame the LAPD.
Speaker 5: It's not my business, not my mom, it's not my family.
Speaker 2: But let's just.
Speaker 1: Look about let's look around at the environment that this happened in. At least two signs on the street show the area is designated as a forty one point one eight Special Enforcement Zone, which prohibits people from camping in the area camping. The signs were put up there in July twenty twenty two, but.
Speaker 5: They do no good. Obviously.
Speaker 1: There have been numerous reports about encampments there. This is just something that goes on in several different pockets of the city. This is an area that has been mired in gang violence, drug use, homelessness, organized retail theft. City officials say they had made progress in addressing the issue and that reported crime has dropped in recent months, with the exception of burglaries and break inst's.
Speaker 2: Stop pull the car over right there, all the crime but except that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I live in the area and my home's broken into, and they're like, no, no crimes down except for you know, the break in, except for you burglaries and break ins. I mean, isn't that quality of life right there? What are you cracking down on people selling drugs to each other? I don't care about that. This is some people break it into my house for money for drugs in the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: This story of Lucretia brajass Is.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately exemplifies the biggest issues that come with homelessness, because obviously city officials have and i'll use air quotes here, tried to clear some of these encampments by helping people get into housing and giving them access to support services.
Speaker 1: Right, they say it's more compassionate, it's compassion, But where where is the compassion and letting people die from their addictions and from the ridiculous environments you've allowed to flourish in your city in these encampments. It's the wild wild West. It's awful. Where's the compassion there? And this is the point I always go back to, you're one of my friends. I have compassion for you. If I find out that you're living in a tent downstairs and shooting up meth I am not going to let you continue to do that out of compassion. That's not compassion for you. That's not me being a friend to you. Me being a friend to you is pulling you out of that tent and forcing the situation to change. I mean, you can't force anyone to get out of their addiction, but you certainly don't need to enable it. You don't need to make it easy for them, and that's what the city does.
Speaker 3: And whenever we talk about this, we talk about people who are hooked on drugs, who are dealing with mental issues that then turn into drug addiction.
Speaker 2: And however it works that.
Speaker 3: A lot of people, current people listening have said to us they were the worst, lowest points of their lives. The only reason they were alive today is because they were sighted, they were taken to jail, they did a stint in state prison, they did something, something got them cleaned up. It wasn't just a homeless liaison walking around a tent camp and going but don't you want to stay in a beautiful supportive care home. Don't you want The carrots that they extend to these people that live on the streets are not enough motivation to get people off the streets.
Speaker 2: There has to be some stick.
Speaker 3: And I'm not talking about the Mahogany hairwash kind of thing where you walk around and just start beating people.
Speaker 2: But you've got to cite people.
Speaker 3: You've got to make it criminal again to live in areas that it's illegal to live in. I mean, you mentioned this is a special enforcement zone, this specific homeless in camp that we're talking about, but that the city does want to do that because they feel that that's that's not the empathetic way to go.
Speaker 1: There should be a different passion, there should be a different reason they use, because that's not compassion.
Speaker 5: It just isn't.
Speaker 1: You're making it comfortable for people to continue doing the stuff that's killing them. And again, you can't force them into treatment, can't force them into a housing facility. I understand all that, but enabling them to just stay there and put their lives in danger under your watch essentially is not the answer. And it's not it's the opposite of compassion in difference. It's in difference you're indifferent to what they're doing. And that is right up there with the opposite of love.
Speaker 2: That's more dangerous. Yeah, that's more dangerous. All right?
Speaker 5: Are we able to talk about something good?
Speaker 2: No, we're gonna talk about that.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, it's making something good out of something tragic.
Speaker 5: This is just a America, is what this is?
Speaker 2: Entrepreneur?
Speaker 1: You entrepreneur, Why is that word so difficult to say? Entrepreneurial spirit?
Speaker 2: You just said it. You sounded drunk when you said it, but you said it.
Speaker 1: It's too long. There's too much going on there. There's two there's ewes that just come at you.
Speaker 2: They fly at you.
Speaker 1: You're right in the middle of that word, and all of a sudden, there's a U, there's an R, there's a secret.
Speaker 3: I well, we'll go back to our remedial high school classes down at Cell Block D.
Speaker 1: I went to public school here in California, so I didn't learn words like entrepreneurial.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 1: The monkeys, Oh, the monkey's stealing other monkeys. Yes, I never say the word right capuchin, Yes, right, capuchin. The Capuchin monkeys are stealing the howler monkeys babies.
Speaker 5: Is this China?
Speaker 2: What do you mean is this?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Do you think that the Chinese are now turning one? That they have pecies of monkeys.
Speaker 1: Against them, or that they have Yeah, that they have mobilized the monkeys to steal other monkeys, like the way they have mobilized our college students.
Speaker 3: A strange story out of Switzerland. One man is missing after the majority of a tiny little village in Switzerland was buried after a glacier collapsed, the Birch Glacier, the entire glacier collapsed. That caused a gigantic landslide. Footage showed ice and mud and debris flowing near Blatton, they said, about fifty five miles south of the capital of Burn. They say at the bottom of the valley, huge deposit of ice and rocks several dozen meters thick and approximately two kilometers long, buried most of the village of Blatten. The damage is considerable, adding that that one person I believe to be a sixty four year old man is still considered missing.
Speaker 2: Right now, you have a into.
Speaker 1: The La County Corner's office right there off North Mission Road. It's been made popular now by I believe. I don't know if it's still on the air, but there was a documentary show North Mission Road for a long time about different cases, high profile cases that made their way through the corners office Ed Winter, you remember that name. But it's this like nondescript building off North Mission Road, right off the five there downtown La East La area. And you know, we'd go there for interviews and things like that when we were when we were reporters and a celebrity would die and you would go there and it's just just this run down It's it's kind of like when you go to Hollywood and you're like, this is Hollywood.
Speaker 2: This is it.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 1: You know, in your mind it's this big deal in North Mission Road and the Ellie County Corner's Office is a big deal and it's not. It's like this you know, building built in the late sixties, run down and anyway, it gets a lot of media attention because of well all the bodies that have.
Speaker 5: Gone through there.
Speaker 1: And somebody had the brilliant idea to open up a Corner's gift shop, a gift store adjacent to the Corner's office where visitors could grab merchandise and it would help make money for an ailing office. I think the last time that the Corner's Office made big news, and it wasn't for a celebrity's body where we were determining cause of death and things like that. It was because they were so underfunded that there were bodies stacking up in the hallways.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I I remember when was I became first aware of it, and I think it was because I did it as a story sometime in two thousand and four. Having not been in La I didn't realize that this was a thing, but it struck me at first as pretty insensitive. But if you had lost somebody's anywhere in La County and you realize that the corner of the tandling your loved one's body is also selling T shirts with a funny little chalk outline, that you might consider it insensitive. But I have shied away from that feeling and kind of get the idea that this is much more of somebody doing a creative thing and taking advantage of what is just a normal reality of a big city, which is there are people who die, and there are stories that can be told about them, and every once in a while you can buy a T shirt. I mean, it's just not necessarily a connection that the county for some reason isn't taking seriously the business of death that they are in.
Speaker 5: It's pretty creepy though.
Speaker 1: I mean you've seen in crime scene footage, whether it's on the news or in documentaries or movies. You know just that dark navy or or black shirt with the big blood lettering of white corner on the back of it, and they sell those shirts there.
Speaker 5: So yeah, dark humor.
Speaker 1: I guess meets Kitchie trinkets on beach towels with chalk outlines. They sell piggy banks shaped like nineteen thirties Area black Mariah.
Speaker 5: Hearst vans, toe tag keychains.
Speaker 2: And I do like the idea.
Speaker 3: I mean the County of LA's Department of Medical Examiner. This all started back when it was the County Coroner's office in the they said, in the early nineties, and they did a symposium. It's a big city, one of the one of the largest corner's offices in the country, and they would do a symposium for you know, basically for people in the industry. They'd come from around the country and probably from around the world to see how they do it in LA. And at the end of this symposium, they would give a souvenir coffee mug that just had the simple logo of at the time, the LA County Corner's Office. Well, that generated a lot of buzz, and the people who came to the symposium the next year were like, oh, are we getting Are we getting those cool mugs at the end?
Speaker 2: Can we get those cool mugs?
Speaker 3: And they realized that maybe what they should do is, you know, put their foot on the gas a little bit marketing wise. So they had a skeleton dressed up as a detective named Sherlock Bones, and they said that those those mugs flew off the shelves. And then it became the idea of Marilyn Lewis. She was the one who'd come up with the idea for that Sherlock Bones character. Why not do this gift store adjacent to the coroner's office where everybody could grab merchandise and then use the money to help what is a chronically underfunded part of county government, which is what they did. And I don't know how much money they're making every single year. Necessarily it's not gonna be enough. They said that it nets about are sorry. In nineteen ninety eight it had netted about seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars per year.
Speaker 1: You like to hold on to things. That's a nice way of saying that you're a hoarder. I don't think you're a hoarder, but you know that you have the hoarding tendencies. I think you've talked about this. I'm not putting words in your mouth.
Speaker 2: I'm a collector without clear reasoning.
Speaker 1: Okay, So When you start saying that you're a collector, you're moving into the unhealthy.
Speaker 5: I have the descriptors of a hoarding.
Speaker 3: When I saw this this morning, I specifically thought of one very specific example of something that I had capped but for no good reason. That I that I you could argue collected but for no good reason.
Speaker 5: Is this the quilt from the ex girlfriend?
Speaker 2: That is not it? Okay, it's worse.
Speaker 5: It's worse.
Speaker 2: It's worse. I can't wait, Aryan Shannon will get well.
Speaker 1: Just briefly, if you don't know the story, Gary had an ex fiance whose mom at one point made him a quilt. He broke up with the free fiance who was It wasn't a good.
Speaker 5: Breakup, and he kept the quilt for like years.
Speaker 2: I did anything else to put on my bed?
Speaker 5: On your bed?
Speaker 2: What do you mean, where else do you put a quilt? Why is that so weird?
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: About one hundred and thirty active fires, they say, burning across Canada today. A smoke from some of those wildfires likely to make its way into the Upper Midwest over the next couple of days.
Speaker 2: Uh Matoba. A good news story.
Speaker 3: There is a new fiber optic cable has been installed to try to fix the air traffic control issues around Newark International Airport. Secretary Transportation Sean Duffy announced the installation of the cable yesterday, said it replaces the troubled part of the line between Philly and New York and the good news is it should be ready for use by July. So just around the corner collector for no good reason. Here's my example. When we moved into the house that we're currently in, my kids were gosh, it's like fifteenth, twelve and fifteen something like that, and my wife was was putting stuff or we're packing up an underwear drawer, something like that, and as she opened my drawer she found something rattling in the back and realized that I had saved my children's teeth. And when asked why, I had no good reason.
Speaker 2: That's there. That's a bone collector reason.
Speaker 1: No. I think that that's normal. I think people do that it's sentimental.
Speaker 3: Only because I don't know, it feels wrong to throw away a baby teeth, right, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Oh so you're on my team now, I am okay.
Speaker 5: In this situation. I think a lot of parents do that.
Speaker 2: So it's weird. It's weird.
Speaker 5: No, it's not. I don't think it's weird. I think it's pretty common.
Speaker 2: I completely But that doesn't mean it's not weird. It is weird.
Speaker 3: Why My question is why do we humans? Why do we do something like that.
Speaker 5: It's a piece of your kid.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like, it's don't touch a hair on my kid's head kind of thing. It's like your kid lost at tooth. That's my kid's baby teeth. I would totally keep those.
Speaker 5: I think that's normal.
Speaker 3: I honestly believe that my I know that my mother kept a clip of hair from my very first haircut, like put it like scotch taped it into the baby album kind of thing.
Speaker 2: This was the first little cutting.
Speaker 1: My mom won't even let me keep a T shirt in my former bedroom. My mom throws out everything, has thrown out everything. I brought it up to her last time I was up there. I was like, so you just don't care about nostalgia. I mean, she's just thrown she just throws out everything. I mean nothing remains you. I mean she she still has all my brother stuff. But in terms of me. There's no record of me ever existing in that home.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 1: But she's like she called me the other day, She's like, oh, there's a pair of tennis shoes. I'm like, yeah, I left a pair of running shoes, if that's okay.
Speaker 5: Like I had to ask if it was.
Speaker 1: Okay to leave a pair of running shoes in her home because she's had me completely take everything and get rid of it.
Speaker 2: Is that and you're still not getting that message?
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, I should huh right, But yeah, I mean a lock of hair, things like that, that's all very normal.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: The quilt is much more trouble than the tilt.
Speaker 3: Okay, but the quilt was I was a poor college student, and I.
Speaker 5: Nothing about this is going to either.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's other than that. You just don't throw things out. I mean it gave me.
Speaker 2: The engagement ring back. I threw that out.
Speaker 5: You threw it out.
Speaker 2: I mean I donated it to like goodwill or something like.
Speaker 5: That, an engagement ring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what am I going to do with it? Sell it upawn it for how for twenty box up?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: No, you buy perfectly good drugs with that. Pawn money, all right, So there actually was a list twelve items you should never throw out, according to pro organizers. So if you are somebody who's a collector, we will tell you what it's okay to collect tools.
Speaker 5: Don't throw out tools.
Speaker 1: That's an easy one, right, yeah, But never get in trouble for that because women never wives never really get into the tool area.
Speaker 3: First of all, that's true, but they you can have too many tools. If you have a bunch of different sockets and they all fit the same thing, you can overdo it with tools. But in general, if you're not a tool person, like do you know where a hammer, a flathead screwdriver, and a fillip screwdriver are in your house?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Those three things. Yes.
Speaker 3: Outside of that, I mean, call somebody. But if you like tools and you're handy with tools, you can keep a lot more than that.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is like cognitive dissonance for you to say things like you can overdo it with tools as long as you have a hamber on, a flathead screwdriver, and a phillip screwer, you're fine.
Speaker 2: Not making sense, baloney.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make any sense, and it feels wrong for you to say those words.
Speaker 5: Doesn't it birthday?
Speaker 2: They say birthday cake candles.
Speaker 1: That's like me when I'm like, no, I don't want another glass of wine. Just every part of me is like, that's a lie.
Speaker 3: Birthday cake candles because you can ever find them. Umbrellas. We have three or four umbrellas in my house and I know where they are, and I don't think I've used one for years.
Speaker 5: But you want more, don't you.
Speaker 2: No, it's just one of those.
Speaker 1: I brought a bunch of umbrellas in here. You'd take them home and keep them for twenty five years.
Speaker 3: We got married in December, not just this December, many decembers ago. We got married in December and it rained the day of our wedding. So we bought a couple of big, huge golf umbrellas from Costco. We had those things for twenty years. Mm hmm, because we I mean in Seattle. When we moved to seattlee obviously came in very handy.
Speaker 5: Did they Yeah? A lot?
Speaker 2: Well they were.
Speaker 5: You didn't use them?
Speaker 2: Did you use them?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: You didn't.
Speaker 1: Right some real work here today we will make our way through the list throughout the day. But tools, tools are good. You can you can hold onto those and umbrellas. That's so far, but we got twelve of those things and listen.
Speaker 3: Go ahead and fire off one of those talkbacks on the iHeart app.
Speaker 5: It works again.
Speaker 3: No, but we'll see, and maybe maybe it's just me that could be it too. Okay, we'll see. Gary and Shannon will continue right after this.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app