Speaker 1: It's Night with Dan Ray. I'm going easy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Madison. As we start a Thursday night, we are more than halfway through this week and the warm weather has returned to New England, which is a good thing. I'm sure in a few warm days we'll obvious saying it are kind of cool off. But that's the way we do it in New England. We complain about the weather, whatever it is. My name is Dan Ray, as Madison indicated, the host of Nightside with Dan Ray. Dan Cantano is back in the control room tonight. Rob Brooks a little bit under the weather. He'll be just fine, And if we don't see him tomorrow night, I'm sure he'll be back on Monday. Marita aka Lady Lightning comes back on Monday as well, so we'll have everybody together with us on Monday. But we are working through the week. Nonetheless, we have an interesting set of topics coming up tonight. We're going to talk about wrapping up the second trial of Karen Reid. That will be actually the trial has in effect make pleaded both the defense and the prosecution of rest that we'll be talking with Attorney Boston longtime criminal defense attorneying Phil Tracy at nine o'clock about his comparisons to between the two trials, the first one a year ago that ended in a hung jury in the second one, which we'll have closing arguments tomorrow and may get to the jury and there could be some jury deliberations even tomorrow as early as tomorrow. Don't think we'll have a decision really quickly, but I'll lead that question to Phil Tracy. And then later on we're going to talk about the immigration crisis and how do we get to this point. It's a pretty interesting process we'll walk through later on. But we have four very interesting guests with topics of current relevance. We're going to start off with doctor Zoey Weis Weiss. She is a doctor infectious disease physician, director of the microbiology Laboratory at Toft's Medical Center, which is great close to home here. Doctor Weiss, Welcome to KNIGHT'SID. I'm not sure if we've had you on before. I think not. How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm good, I have not been on before, and I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm happy to have you here. We're going to talk about salmonella. Hee not the sort of thing that we want to talk about going into the weekend. But eggs were really expensive for a long time. A lot of people were not buying eggs. Now that the prices have come down a little bit. Yikes. Salmonella thankfully so far not in New England. But tell us what salmonilla is and how we can avoid exposure to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, salmonella is a specific type of bacteria causes food born illness and it causes an intestinal infection. We sometimes call it salmonellosis, and it's typically spread by contaminated food water like contact with animals. We call it kind of a fecal oral root. So you know, if there's any kind of poor sanitation issues, we're any kind of fecal matter can get into food sources and that can contaminate the food and cause you know, salmonella infection. And so there have been some cases of salmonell infection related to eggs recently, as you were talking about, and then earlier this month there was a cucumber or last month a cucumber recall as well from salmonella.
Speaker 2: How do they isolate the source? Obviously, certain people show up I assume with some symptoms, they must do some sort of an analysis of the symptoms, and they they were able to say, you.
Speaker 3: Love this question, you what I love this question. So what happens is that somebody comes goes to a hospital or a healthcare center with diarrhea some sort of you know, food borne illness, and they are able to detect the salmonella in the stool, for example. Then they'll send it to the Department of Public Health, and public health labs will do genetic sequencing of the salmonella, and then they'll upload it into a giant database that is overseen by the CDC called pulse NEET, and the CDC will be able to track in real time whether these salmonel cases are related to each other. So based on how genetically related the different organisms are, they're say, okay, like this person in California and this person in Rhode Island both had the same salmonella strain, and therefore there might be you know, some sort of risk that there's an outbreak. And then so they'll contact those people and try to trace it back.
Speaker 2: So they will try to determine a commonality. So not only will they do the science, the lab work but then they will reach out to these people and say, Okay, where have you been, what have you been exposed to? Now, in this particular instance, it's seventy people across seven states have been sick and due to a salmonella outbreak. I assume salmonella must be rare that when somehow, some way the red flag goes up we got a salmonella case here in Wyoming, they're able to enter that into computer and find out if there are any other recent salmonella cases. If seventy people have basically alerted public health authorities to this outbreak, that's a fairly small number in comparison to the population of these ten or so states Arizona, California, Illinois, Indiana, Nebraska, New Mexico, divide of Washington, and Wyoming. That's a wide swath of land of geography that they.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it speaks exactly, yeah, exactly to the fact that all hospitals in the United States are required to send their salmonella samples to their Department of Public Health LOBS, and all of these hospitals are connected to the CDC. So there's a there's a there's an effort to make sure that you know, anytime salmonella is isolated, we're capturing it. And it's true that it's rarely picked up. I mean someone has to be sick enough to go to the hospital or to see the doctor. Lots of people probably get salmonella, and for the most part, most people who have a normal immune system otherwise healthy. You know, they might have a few days of naze, vomiting, diarrhea, but they wouldn't necessarily go to the doctor. So the only people were really capturing are the ones who end up getting you know, seen in the healthcare setting. So it's probably the number of people affected are much larger, but the ones who are capturing is you know, smaller population.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm sure that the having studied Latin in high school, that the word celmanella somehow comes from the Latin. I think it's kind of unfair to salmon salmonella. Agree, it looks to me pretty close to salmon. Again, how did they How has this been a disease that's I assume has been with us forever. This is not something that's new on the disease chart, right.
Speaker 3: So, actually, the word salmonelle was named after a doctor who's a veterinary pathologist named Daniel Elmer Salmon. I don't know if you know Salmon or Simon or however. And it's been known for a long time, nineteen hundreds. I think many people have heard of the term typhoid, like typhoid mary for example.
Speaker 4: History.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so salmonella. One of the species of salmonella is Salmonella typhee, which causes typhoid fever, mostly in countries that have like underdeveloped you know, water, clean water infrastructure. And then the salmonella that we see here or something usually species called salmonella and enterica is related. The disease is not as severe, it's more self limiting, and but they're related. So people have known about salmonella for a long time.
Speaker 2: And I assume the commonality that they've established with all of these people is they must have figured out that all of them had purchased these eggs from this company, which apparently sold their eggs wholesale to restaurants and retailers in these states. I assume that's how they were able to say this is an egg born correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's a lot of work. It takes a lot of work to figure out what everybody was exposed to and I and you know, and salmonella is relatively easy because the onset of disease could be within hours to a few days. So and the most common causes are things like, you know, chicken, eggs, sometimes fresh vegetables, so you can ask people, you know, a list of those things. Some food borne illnesses, like there's one called listeria, can actually be late in or kind of stay in your body without causing disease for months before it becomes a problem. And those people can take a really long time to figure out what their original source is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's great, it's great to know. I'm glad that I know now that there was a doctor who discovered this doctor Salmon. Is that is how we you said he pronounced his name to him. So the Indians had a backup for a baseman in the sixties, Chico Simone as well, so his name was spelled the same way. I thought it might have been named after him, but no, but that's true. That's true. I have these sports names in the back of my head. You can look it up. Chico Simone s a L M O. N. Kind of a backup for a spaseman. Not a great player, but played in the major leagues. Doctor wise, you're a major leaguer as far as I am concerned. I really love your enthusiasm for this job. But I love the way that you sort of worked through the minefield of explanation of things so that nobody got too grossed out. So thank you yes, well yeah, no, absolutely, but thank you very much. You were really great and I hope we can get your back. And by the way, just to pin it, this was a California based egg distributor and I guess the name of according to the US Center for Disease Control. I'm just clicking on it here and seeing if the uh if the company uh in August sixth Egg Company, August Egg Company. Okay, August egg Company. They were the source. So if you can figure out if your eggs are from the August Egg Company, and I have no idea how you.
Speaker 3: Do that, they get told under other brand names like Clover First Street Organics, market Side, Sun Harvest, So you really have to look and see, you know, is your is this a the wider distributor August egg Company?
Speaker 2: Well? You know something again, you you you just even answered questions. I wasn't smart enough to ask that. I'm impressed. Doctor Zoe Weiss, infectious disease physician, director of the Microbiology Laboratory at Tufts Medical Center. I really enjoyed what I thought was not going to be an enjoyable conversation. Thanks so much for your time tonight. Okay, thank you, my pleasure. Thanks, good night. Well we get back when we talk with an author whose name is Stephen Harrigan. He's author of a book called Sorrowful Mysteries, The Shepherd Children of Fatima and the Fate of the twentieth Century. It's going to be an interesting conversation. I think what I've read, I haven't read the book. I think he's pretty skeptical about all of this. There's a lot of people have a right to be I'm someone who is as a person of faith, wants to believe, and given a choice, I give faith the benefit of the doubt. We'll have a good conversation with Steve and Harrigan coming back on night Side right after this quick break.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: I'm delighted to introduce Stephen Harrigan. He's the author of a book called Sorrowful Mysteries, The Shepherd Children of Fatima and the fate of the twentieth century. The book is described as a powerful exploit exploration of the three Secrets of Fatima and a man's journey grappling with his own faith. Stephen Harrigan, Welcome to aide. How are you.
Speaker 5: Thanks, Dan, It's great to be here.
Speaker 2: I think we're both baby boomers, and I suspect we learned of our Lady of Fatima, both in the same way attending Catholic schools. For me, it was here in Massachusetts in elementary school in the late nineteen fifties. You were doing this in Texas at that time. It was certainly something that intrigued me. I know it has intrigued the world. You've written a book. It sounds to me as if you're pretty skeptical of this.
Speaker 5: Explain to us, well, I mean that's not the main reason. That's not my main reason in telling the story of Adama. I'm skeptical. I mean, you know, everybody has their own degree of faith and how they what they believe or what they don't believe. But for me, the most powerful impulse to write this story for me was just because it's a great story. It's the story of these three little children who are in nineteen seventeen and Fatima Portugal at the you know, at the hinge moment of the twentieth century, we have an era of revolutions right at the beginning of the of the flu pandemic of nineteen eighteen, which killed two of the children. It's the story of you know, it's the story of faith, It's the story of imagination and politics and all the kind of main events of the twentieth century are sort of this is a lens through which you could look at them and how faith and the kind of political transitions and turmoil of the twentieth century, you know, changed everybody. So I came into it as a former practicing Catholic. Now I'm kind of like just I'm somebody who's never going to get the Catholicism out of my system and don't really want to. But it's not a devout book. But it's not a debugging book either.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah. One of the things that I remembered about learning about Fatima, and you know much more about this than I do, so let me let me set that out. Your researched it done in book et cetera. I thought that it's some point I was told or I learned, that World War Two started on December seventh, which was either a Holy Day of obligation or close to a Holy Day of obligation December seventh, and then it ended on August fifteenth, nineteen forty five, which was in the Catholic Church. I think it's the Feast of the Assumption. If I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 5: Those I can't answer. I can't speak to that, really, I do can. I can hear you that World War two is bound up in the in the in the story of Fatimah.
Speaker 2: Tell us how that was what I was I was struggling with my question that explain to us. Stephen, go right ahead.
Speaker 5: I hadn't heard those those dates, but I'll have to check it, because that actually is pretty interesting. But you know the in nineteen seventeen, on May thirteenth, nineteen seventeen, these three children, Lucia Santo's her cousins Francisco and Jacinta Marto, said that they saw the Virgin Mary in this field in Portugal. And one of the things that the Virgin Mary said was, you know this this is during World War one, and she said that and worst war will come if people don't pray the Rosary and pray and specifically for the conversion of Russia to Christianity, and so, you know, world War two did come. People believe some people believe that the Virgin Mary predicted that at I mean, there's all sorts of you could get into, way into the weeds about exactly what date World War one world War two started, and who was pope then, and whether her prophecies were accurate or not. But it certainly is true that both World War One and World War Two were important parts of the of the Fatima story. And you know, there was a you probably grew up like me, if it sounds like we had some of the same experiences at the same age. You probably heard about the Fatima Letter or the Third Secret of Fatima.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I never figured out what that was.
Speaker 5: No, Yeah, I mean a lot of people were very puzzled by it and what it was was. And this is partly what drove me to write the book, because we were these little kids in Catholic school in the late nineteen fifties and we were told that that Sister Lucia then had written down prophecy that was supposed to be opened in nineteen sixty that would tell the fate of the world. And remember this was right at the height of the Cold War, when people were terrified. We were all doing duck and cover exercise.
Speaker 2: Under the desk, remembered well.
Speaker 5: And so in our school, the nun who was teaching us, we asked her, you know, nineteen sixty finally came and we were desperate to know what this letter said. And she told us, well, the Pope took it out of the envelope, read it, said it was too horrible for anybody to read, and put it back in the envelope and sent it away into the archives of the Vatican. So the whole world was disappointed. Would say it would be the wrong term. The whole world was sort of traumatized already by what was happening, and then this information that we couldn't know the third secret or the contents of the fathom the letter really terrified it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know the funny thing about it is you compare them to, for example, the Kennedy files, or the Epstein files, or the Robert F. Kennedy assassination files of the Martin Luther King. A lot of us feel there's war to all of those that have never that's never gotten out. It seems as if not only did the Church disappoint, but also the government's disappoint. Just coming back to the Catholic Holy Days of obligation. World War two, I mean, obviously started in September one, nineteen thirty nine, in Germany and Russian invaded Poland. But US involvement started in December. And if I'm not mistaken, well I'm not mistaken. Pearl Harbor occurred on a Sunday, and it may have been that we declared war the following day, which happens to be a holy day in the Catholic Church, the Maaculal Conception. And then it did end with MacArthur accepting the signatures of the japan Niece on the deck of the USS Missouri, which was August fifteenth, which is in fact the Assumption in the Catholic Church. So I think that those days starting at the beginning of the end. Maybe there was misinformation, but I think that is where World War II got wrapped up in all of this. And also August in twenty seventeen, the Russian Revolution was starting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Russian Revolution. Also a Portuguese revolution had started. You know several years earlier which was very similar in which a secular government was taking over basically a Catholic country, and so there were all sorts of political turmoil going on, which I think helped kind of create the interest in Fatima at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's and again I'm still interested, you know, all of In all of this, I sort of leave it to the concept of faith either you you know, have a level of faith that allows you to say, well, something happened. I thought that there were once the apparitions occurred on those success of thirteen days of the month, that the first two or three occurred just with these children coming back and telling the stories to their friends. But by October thirteenth, was there not a lot of people who saw some stuff in the sky.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. On October thirteenth, nineteen seventeen, which was the sixth apparition, the Virgin appeared and promised she would come back every on the thirteenth of every month for six months. And she promised to do it to promise Lucia. And we all know all this comes from Lucia Santos. You know, she's the one who wrote down these crossicles and these memoirs. And so she said that the Virgin told her that she would perform the miracle so that all would believe on that day. So on that day, you know, there was this field where where the Santo's families and the Marto families were grazing their sheep. They had been trampled into mud, you know, months before because of all the tourists, all the people came just to see what was going on. So they were all people say that it's hard to know exactly how many people were there. Possibly as many as seventy thousand, possibly even more had come to see. They were expecting a miracle, and it was pouring down rain. You know, the mud was like ankle deep. Everybody was soaked to the bone. And all at once the sky cleared, and you know how the sky gets really after a rainstorm suddenly cleared, the sky can look really sort of luminous and mysterious. I think that happened there and then, And remember Lucia and and and her two cousin and so were the only people who could see the apparition. Nobody else COULDRCT so they had to take Lucia's the children's word for it. And Lucia said look at the sky, and at least seventy thousand people looked up at the sky, and what they saw, or what many of them say they saw, was this atmospheric miracle, as it's been termed, where the sun seemed to dance in the sky and drop drop toward the ground and scatter all these sort of prismatic colors all over everything. And that was that's called the miracle of the Sun. And you can argue it any way you want, you know, depending on your level of faith or your level of pragmatic you know, interpretation. But something happened that day, and you know it was certainly atmospheric. And you know, so there are people who say that it was a ufo or people who say it was a SunDog or a peer heelium and all these kind of atmospheric effects, but clearly something did happen, and that kind of cemented the reverence and the excitement that people felt toward toward this place.
Speaker 2: Wow, fascinating. Stephen Harrigan, the book is Sorrowful Mysteries, The Shepherd, Children of Fatima and the Fate of the twentieth century. If people have listened to this interview, and I hope you posted on your website. I think a lot of people will be sufficiently intrigued that they will want to buy this book.
Speaker 1: And thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I was just going to say, is it's best I assume in this day and age, just go to Amazon and typing your name Stephen Harrigan h A W R I G A N spells Harrogan Sorrowfulness, Shepherd. I'm sure you've heard that song your entire life, The Shepherd, Children of Fatima and the Fate of the twentieth Century. I'm more intrigued, and I'll be getting the book, and I'm sure many of my audience will as well. And I thought this was a great interview. I was ready to try to debate you on this, but you have made a really marvelous presentation that is a reportorial and journalistic and I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: And we can debate some other time after you read the book. Let's let's talk, which sounds great.
Speaker 2: Al right, Steven Eric, Are you still hanging out in Texas or No, you don't have a Texas accent.
Speaker 5: No, but kind of. I've been here most of my life, so it's about one hundred and twenty degrees.
Speaker 2: It's kind of cool night down in Texas. Then. Okay, Steven enjoyed talking with you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Okay, Dan, great to talk to you very well.
Speaker 2: All Right, we have the news coming up, and right after that we're going to talk with Professor Peter kim I. We'll be talking about why Americans are losing trust in each other. I think that's going to be intriguing. Do stay with us. If you haven't gotten the new and improved iHeart app, go to the app store on your device, whatever it is. It's a tablet, it's a phone, it's a laptop and desktop. Pull down the iHeart app. Very simple. You can click on it, bring it down, make us your first preset WBZ, so we'll always just be a fingertip away. And there is a button on there called one tap. You can as a microphone button. You can leave us a thirty second no more thirty second comment and it will go directly to our control room. And once we get this up and running, we'll play these comments during the show, so you'll have two ways to talk to us, not only live on the telephone, but also through comments through what's called the one Tap on the iHeart. The new and improved. iHeart app back on Nightside run a little bit late right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's NewsRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. Joining us is a professor Peter Kim. He's a professor of management and organization and don't we need those at the USC Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California. Go Trojans the author of a book How Trust Works, The Science of Relationships are Built, Broken and Repaired. This book has been out for a year or two, but I think it's something we might like to take a look at. Professor Kim. Welcome to Night sid How are you?
Speaker 6: Thank you Dan. I'm doing great. It's great to s on the show with you.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much. Always great to have someone from USC. So America is losing trust in one another. According to a Pew Research Center report found that seventy one percent of respondents thought interpersonal trust confidence in their fellow citizens has waned over the last two decades. It's we're dealing with losing trust. To find what you think the Pew Research study actually quantified, I'm confused by that.
Speaker 6: Well, I think it's not just the Pew Research Center. It's a variety of surveys that have measured the level of trust not only in one another, but in our institutions, the government, financial institutions, almost every single one has found that those levels of trust has declined. And if we want to sort of agree on a simple definition of trust, it's our willingness to make ourselves vulnerable in situations involving risk, right, It's a psychological inclination to do that, and we're just less willing to do that nowadays.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I okay, So my theory, and I'd love to know what you think, is that it all comes back to the computers that we have. All of us are spending me included, too much time on my computer, less time in face to face personal relationships. And most of the things that I worry about are people hacking my computer, hacking my bank accounts, stealing my identities, all the things that have now come to our door because of computers and Mark Zuckerberg. So have I encapsulated the entire cause in about thirty seconds or my way off.
Speaker 6: Mark, Well, I agree that that's one of the major factors that's led to the decline in trust, and so that really gets to the fact that our trust in others is based on what we know about them and our perceptions of them as part of our group or parts of other groups. And I think one of the big things that the Internet has done has made it very easy to identify whatever particular subgroups that we most identify with and to differentiate back group from everything else in the world. And there's a lot of everything else in the world, and you know, those people those groups are seen as outsiders, as enemies, as not you know, on our side, and we have such a shallow perception of them. We don't really see them as individuals, and that keeps us from learning enough about them to see them as human beings, albeit you know, faulty in many ways, that they may have some reasons for us to trust them.
Speaker 2: So are you saying that most of us trust our inner circle. We trust the people who we can count on our two hands, who are our true friends, and maybe we trust some of our acquaintances. But people who we don't know we have an inherent suspicion of. I think that's what you just said. I want to make sure I understand it.
Speaker 6: I think that's right. Yeah, And so the people that are you know, it really gets to the very tribal, clan like side of us, right, that primitive brain. We want we want to find others that will be there for us, and you know, so our friends, our family, those that are close to us we see as those people. And then on the internet you can identify other groups that share those values that you might have, and it's easy to differentiate those from the people outside that group. One big factor that, one big thing that this does is that it creates a motivation to see the actions of those in our group and those outside our group differently. So if for some you know, people will inevitably let us down, but if it's our friends or family, then we will see those failures as mistakes. Right, they didn't mean to hurt us part of our group people. Yeah, they might have forgotten. They're just not very good at this sort of thing and so on. Right, So we come up with these reasons, and we're motivated to come up with those reasons in order to maintain those close relationships with those people. But for those that are outside of that group, we don't have those motivations. So it's easy to say that, oh that the exact same failures they're the result of them trying to take advantage of us, of them lacking morals and so on, and so that that difference in explanation for they've even this exact same failure can lead to much more serious problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you ascribe, you ascribe malign intent to those who you do not have close within your inner circle. Is I think what you're saying. So we could talk for hours on this. We could talk about people who have gone to computers and they have gotten into their political silos. They only have friends with whom they agree politically. They only listen to programs with which they agree politically, which has further again separated us into this tribe, that tribe, the red tribe or the blue tribe. What can we do in you know, forty five seconds or so, And I'm sure that you've asked, but this, as before, it probably takes a lot more than forty five seconds. What can individuals, what can society do to to basically turn this trend around? Because it's it's a trend which is troubling for me, and I think troubling for most people.
Speaker 6: Well, I think the first step is to move beyond the superficial caricature and see these people for who they are and realize that these attributions that we're making that they're not necessarily correct, right, And so we have this instinctive tendency to say this is a lack of integrity. You know, they intended to take advantage of us, But is that really true? And so the first step for us is to recognize that we have this bias and the kind of attribution we're making for the people outside our groups, and how that may not necessarily be correct. And so that would be the first step to get us to realize that those attributions may not be correct and to do the investigation necessary with an open mind to understand why things might have happened. Because most most failures, most violations of trust are multiply determined, right, There are lots of things that can lead to a failure, and so we need to be more open to those those reasons and too, you know, and we may still ultimately determine that they had you know, their various intent and so on, but not jumping to the gun. Okay, it's a very critical star.
Speaker 2: Professor kim let me mention. The book available I assume at Amazon, How trust Works, The Science of Relationships Are Built, Broken and Repaired. That is the book that I hope people get a chance to spend some time with. I appreciate you having spent some time with us tonight. Thank you very much, professor, and go Trojans.
Speaker 6: It's a pleasure. Thank you. Then it's good jeving me.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you. Professor Peter Kim. The book How Trust Works, The Science of Relationships Are Built, Broken and Repaired. We'll be back on Nightside and we're going to introduce you to an event that has never happened before. It's called Sweat a Palooser. We'll explain.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Now it's not often that here on Nightside we can introduce you to an event that has never happened before. I mean, the marathon has been running around here for what one hundred and twenty five years. However, you can go to the inaugural event of the sweat Apaloosa on Saturday, June twenty first, and here to explain exactly what we'll transpire at the first ever Sweat a Paloosa is Claric Culin. She's the Associate director of Culture and Experience at Seaport Boston. You know, Claire, I didn't even realize Seaport Boston had an associate director of Culture and Experience. That sounds like a pretty fun job up.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's very fun. It's also fun coming up with the names of things like Sweat of Palooza. It's a real catchy one that we came up with.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you, I hope you didn't like spend hours on that one, because I could have come up with that one pretty clear, pretty quickly, A swell.
Speaker 4: Right off the tongue too.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but what I'm saying you put anything in front of a bowling palooza, a golfing palooser. But I'm only teasing you. So the Sweat of Palooza. Tell us what it is. First of all, I think the name describes it, but drilled down a little bit for us.
Speaker 4: Oh, of course. Well, it's obviously a palooza, and it's our celebration of ten years of Seaport Sweat, which is the workout series that we host in Seaport right on Seaport Common. And ten years is a pretty long time to be running a workout series, so we're really excited and happy for the community that we formed along all those ten yures, so we wanted to post a palooza to celebrate. So we've got three amazing workout classes. We're bringing back some really popular instructors like Ticket by Eliza, Eliza Sharrazzi, who's actually been with us all ten years. We've got a yoga class with Go to Bermuda where an instructor has flown in from Bermuda to teach it. And then bron Volney also will be teaching broncor boot Camp.
Speaker 2: So now I don't spend a lot of time down the seaport, okay, because it's tough to get in and tough to get out. As Yogi Berra once said, no wonder nobody comes to this place. It's too crowded. But for those who live down there and who are seaport denizens, what have you been doing? Ten years of outdoor fitness classes? Is that what we're talking about, the tradition.
Speaker 4: Years of out door Ten years of outdoor fitness classes Monday through Thursday twice today we have five thirty and six thirty and Saturdays at ten at ten am. So really, if you live in the seaport, or go to the seaport. You can just cancel your gym membership for the entire summer because we run May through September.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you got to renew the membership from October through April. Okay, that's good. That cuts the thing down. Now. This is going to be on Saturday, June twenty first, which is not this Saturday. It's a week from Saturday, the first day of summer, perfectly timed, and the event goes from eleven in the morning until one and round the ten in the morning until one in the afternoon. For folks who don't normally hang in the seaport, we're in the seaport. Will this event be held.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So it's right at eighty five Northern Alve. We have a beautiful green space called Seaport Common. It's right next to the Current, which is our pop up shops. If you're familiar with Cisco Brewers, it's just a block down from there, so it's kind of like the central hub of Seaport. And there's tons to do after too. You can take one class, you can take all three. We've got green juices that go to Bermuda will also be offering our sponsor as General Brigham Health Plan will be giving out water and we'll have a bunch of amazing other giveaways as well, and then you can take one class or take three, grab a beer from Cisco after and have a beautiful seaport day.
Speaker 2: Well that's the seaport's doing well, right. I assume every time I do go down there, it's it's busy, busy, busy. It's it's certainly a far cry from what I knew as the seaport. It was Anthony's and Jimmy's restaurants pretty much. Not much.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we got We've got many more than that. Now. We just opened up in Island Creek Oyster Bar, which is which is very amazing. So you can also go eat some caveat after workout class if you want to, which is okay, an amazing idea.
Speaker 2: If you ask me, how's the how's the tea service out to seaport. I'm not someone who rides the tea very much, but if I was going out there, and if I wanted to go out there and take the tea in my sweats, what's what's the deal there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can take the Red Line just the South station or Onnyline that goes to South Station and walk across the bridge and then take the Summer Street steps right down into Seaport. Or you can take the Silver Line, which is what I did every day for many many years when I commuted. Now I'm on the Commuter Rail, so I just walk from South Station, so super accessible.
Speaker 2: Well that's great, And the seaport is doing well? Is there? Has most of the seaport at this point been built out? I mean, I know that they're going to be renaming the convention Center the Thomas M. Menino Convention Center, which I think is a great honor and well deserved for Mayor Minino and his family. But has is the seaport, which I think very much was his dream? Has? I mean how much? How more stuff can you put out there? I mean he got hotels, great hotels, You've got great restaurants. You know, you have the Ray Flynn Pavilion out there with the ships coming in? Is it? Is it pretty much? Are there still things that are going to be new a year or two or three years from now?
Speaker 4: We can always fit something more. We've always got something new opening and something more to build.
Speaker 2: So you build a lead bridge to Ireland or having at this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that one might take a couple of years, but you're always opening something new. The current the pop up shops transition every.
Speaker 6: Couple of months.
Speaker 4: We've always got the holiday market every winter that gets built and then unbuilt, which feels like a miracle. So there's always something new happening.
Speaker 2: It was a big ice cream place I think that we previewed a year ago down there. I forget the name of it, but they were really good.
Speaker 4: Is at the Museum of ice Cream?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, how they do it?
Speaker 4: Oh they're doing great. Yeah, it's great. Kids slide right down the slide into a pool of sprinkles, so there's there's ice cream to eat and then also sprinkles to play and those sprinkles.
Speaker 2: Are not used later in the day on ice cream codes.
Speaker 4: Obviously, I'm definitely not good.
Speaker 2: Just to be sure, Just to be sure anyway, Claire kill Colin, thank you very much. Claire lovely to talk with the Associate Director of Culture and Experience at Seaport Boston. It's the sweat of Paloozer. Not this Saturday, nine days from now. On Saturday June twenty first, from ten to fifteen until one o'clock, it'll be a great day and you'll be able to eat your way. After you lose a few pounds, you can just have all sorts of goodies in the seaport. Thanks very much, Claire, appreciate it very much. I was in the hometown of your family, kill Colin Island not too long ago.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, yeah, that is the hometown in my family.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's lovely hometown. By the way, thanks so much. Thanks much. When we get back, thanks Claire. When we get back, right after the nine o'clock news, is going to be talking with Boston criminal defense attorney Phil Tracy. The trial, the second trial of Karen Reid is over. Opening arguments, or rather closing arguments tomorrow are from both the prosecution and the defense, and then it gets to the jury. And once the jury has it, they may be doing some deliberations. They could stay as late as five or five thirty tomorrow. They're supposed to start at eight thirty nine o'clock. I think the closing arguments will be finished by noon. There could be some activity tomorrow. We'll preview it with Phil Tracy right after the nine o'clock news