Speaker 1: In company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started. Hour number two Here on a Monday afternoon coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to ninety Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery, taking you up until six o'clock and hopefully you had yourselves a good Derby weekend. I was happy that the weather didn't really keep a humongous crowd for showing up, and those that were there, it was, you know, it's nice to see that they didn't seem at all to be impacted by the weather. Which, hey, that's good. There's nothing you can do about it. I mean, you know, that's out of your control. So also I ended up at a derby party after I left. I left probably and this is what I tip. Actually was there a little longer this year than I typically am. But I thought, okay, do I want to stick around and wait for the erase, or do I want to get on the shuttle and get back and watch the race at a derby party where my family is, or you know, stick around and then you know, I feel like the shuttle would have been a real mess if I tried to leave like right after the derby, So was it a mess? Now I didn't stay. This is the first time, Oh you left before the derby?
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 3: I left the half an hour before the derby. I got a beer and then I looked up saw thirty minutes till posts, and I thought, I can leave now, or if I wait till after the derby, it's I'm going to be here another two three hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's you and I are on the same page, and typically I'm out, you know, a lot earlier than when I left Saturdays to where it's not really that kind of a decision. But I think we probably left nearly around the same time because I ended up getting where I was headed right right around the time the derby started, So worked out good with timing. But you know, it's such a big deal that, like I would imagine that there probably is a lighter turnout to some of the parties if in fact weather's not great, But that wasn't the case where I was. And again, like it's not good, you're not gonna cancel it, right, it's the derby, right, I mean it's kind of like rain or shine, which really did seem to kind of be the uh, the theme on Saturday, because you know, I finally just stopped having to ask people about the weather because they you know, they they're aware that it's raining, but that didn't wasn't something they were thinking about because plenty of places to stay dry, and obviously, you know, it's, uh, it's out of your control. What are you gonna do? So did you stay uh? Did you stay dressed up and nice going to the parties or I usually give myself time to get home and get changed. This year I didn't, And I asked my wife. I was like, should I head out? You know, I don't know how long? You know, I said, I don't know how long you're gonna actually be there after the derby. I'd be getting there closer to right around the time the race happens. And she was like, yeah, it's fine. There's a few other people dressed up to And I did feel a little lot, a little out of place, but you know, it was it was still all in fun. So we hopefully everybody had a good Derby weekend. I know I certainly did. And if you're somebody that's still recovering, maybe you're somebody that takes this Monday off because you know you have the vacation, the PTO whatever is, and you realize you might need a little extra time to get the batteries charged. It's it is totally understandable. They had a.
Speaker 3: Ever since Tuesday. I was on, I was on a heater, and then after Tuesday, it all fell apart, deposit after deposit after deposit, twenty five here, twenty five there, and I was on like my last seven dollars on like race eight, I think, and then I decided to place a two dollars exacta and then the it came in, came in seventy dollars on a two dollars bet, and it got me all the way back up, and it got me ready for the race. I was able to cash out everything that I put in for that week, and I had twenty five to bet on the derby, so I.
Speaker 2: Just have bets everywhere.
Speaker 3: I was very high on the Sandman, very very very sad that I think he's still running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not a good day, because not a good day for Salman. And I'd shifted to Sandman two once I really started to, you know, realize I should absolutely emphasize that connection that I have to the to the Cassie family. I really didn't even put that together until we were talking to Joel Marc, Cassie's son on the air on Saturday, and I knew he has he's got a horse in the derby every year just because that's how how successful he is in this industry. But no, Sandman, it had becomes once Rodriguez went down. Sandman had kind of become my horse and it was sad.
Speaker 3: And it was poor guy, still a beautiful horse. I loved, loved everything about the the story of it that James Hetfield come up from Nashville because Metallica is playing two days at Nissan.
Speaker 2: He came up, got to meet Sandman. I love the the way that the.
Speaker 3: Owner of the horse, he's a young cat, he's he's all over social media.
Speaker 2: He's the Tiktak guy right. Yes, yes, it's something Griffin. I can't remember his name, but they were showing him quite a bit on the lead ups because the Salmon. Salmon was a was one of the top buzz horses. But also he's someone that you know from from I guess TikTok fame and fortune. He's now using that to be you know, involved in horse race singing. Here he was with a horse that you know, had a lot of momentum. But and I don't, I mean, I shouldn't just assume that I'm going to have the opinion of this person that everybody else does, because you really never know. But I'd always heard that he's someone that everybody was gonna not like, and he was going to be really like, you know, obnoxious and you know, kind of make it a stunt. But I didn't hear anything about that. He actually seemed the brief interview that I heard, he seemed, you know, like someone who genuinely was excited to be able to be in the position to have, you know, the wealth, to you know, have a horse that's in the derby.
Speaker 3: Yes, he seemed really nice. But you know, your boy, he still played. He still put three dollars on sovereignty. Goodness, man, came for you. I came through with twenty four bucks Tanka for you boy.
Speaker 2: What I said before right as we started the show. I don't know if this is one thousand percent accurate, but it's the way it seemed to me. Sovereignty was always in the conversation as one of the favorites, like it was never viewed as like, who the hell's that? Like, I've never heard of that one, but it just never quite had the buzz that that you know, you saw Sandman get and obviously journalism, hell even Rodriguez before the scratch, I feel like it started to become a little bit more of a of a buzz horse. So you know, it's a big field. In the end, there was only nineteen that competed on Saturday. And if you're I mean, if you're in the derby, there's a good chance you're you know, you've done a lot in your career as a thoroughbred to you know, show that you're worthy, and that makes it to where you really never know what's going to happen. I mean, this wasn't like some big long shot like we've had in previous years. But you know, I kind of feel like as much as I was pulling for Sandman on Saturday, once we got to the day, I mean, you know, again, I'm not selling this as some underdog story. Who would've ever thunk it? But when there is, you know, when there's a big mixture over many years of different types of winners, different types of results, I just think that makes it more of an intriguing race because you really see, you know, you really never know what you're going to get, right. I mean, I think if you have a ten year stretch where it's just long shots that aren't believed to be you know, considered in the top fifteen, I mean, that would be wild, but it would be a really bad look for the event to where like people who cover this that you know, this is their world, they don't even know what the hell they're doing because this race is too long and they have too many horses in it to where it's just I feel like that would leave it open for a lot of criticism. Now, if the favorites just win it every year, I mean, that's not a bad thing, but I also think that it becomes a little bit boring and stale to the outside folks that don't really get into horse racing other than the Derby. But if it's a mixed bag consistently and there's always that level of not really knowing what the hell's going to happen, I think that's that's good for it. Again, the Derby is gonna be fine regardless of what happens. I just mean, if your goal is to always make it appealing to those that maybe wouldn't necessarily be interested in. You know, that leads to more growth. And again here I am acting like they needed. I mean, the viewership that they had on Saturday don't really surprised me. But you know, just seeing the number seventeen point seven million people tuning in to watch, I mean that is an yeah, that's this is it's a record for NBC. And the peak of the race was twenty one point eight million, So at one point during the race, twenty one point eight billion, twenty one point eight million people were watching. And I mean you look around at viewership in sports and I sometimes nerd out on this, but I try not to bring it to the radio because I don't think it's that interesting and I don't know if i'd be good at finding a way to make it interesting and entertaining. But we now have the ability to to to I wouldn't say not watch, but like you gotta for something to keep your attention and keep your interest, Like that's that's hard to do now because at any moment, you've got a device in your hand that you could easily just find something. You could pull up a game you could pull up your your Instagram feed, you could go to Twitter, or you could text somebody, I mean, you know, or you can just you know. I just feel like back in the day, you didn't have something on you at all times that could easily distract you from something that you have found yourself really not that interesting. I mean, how many times have you set down to watch a game or a TV show even or movie maybe, or you're just out somewhere and you realize in the moment, oh, I'm not really even paying attention to what's on television. I'm not really paying attention to what's around me. It's because without even really having the the you know, the confirmation upstairs mentally, you just you know, you weren't interested enough. You knew you could do something that would interest you a little bit more So, I think the viewership that we see, the numbers we see when it comes to watching live sports, not to say the numbers aren't real, but you know, I think sometimes it's just background noise to people, right, and it's not really something that like is hey, this is it's it's not necessary, Like for example, when you are at a bar restaurant airport and they've just got it on ESPN, Like that counts for like a linear television view but like how many people are really like locked in the sounds? Probably not even on. But if you're watching the Derby in that moment, it's appointment viewing because it's just a brief amount of time, right, Like, yeah, you know the Derby coverage, that's that's longer than two minutes obviously, But I don't know. I just think big events in this country that really, you know, are of this magnitude, like the Kentucky Derby, they still get insane viewership, and in fact they get it. I mean there's more viewership because there's now different ways in which you can watch. If you're in your car on a road trip, you can pull off to the side of the road and watch it on your own because that's just now where we are in twenty twenty five. So you know, not that I was expecting the Derby to have like a drop, but you know, it's the popularity is there, and the sport of horse racing is still viewed as something that is quote unquote struggling, and I wouldn't be in the note to even be able to dispute that or have a conversation about that. That's foolish of me to admit to you guys, I'm just being real. Whenever I hear that the sport's in trouble, I assume it's because of, you know, the health issues with some of the horses over the years. Obviously Churchill had to close down one of the parks here in the state that they own not that long ago because it's some things going on. So maybe that's what people mean when they say that the sport is, you know, quote unquote struggling. But when it comes to the appeal of Derby Day here at Churchill Downs in Louisville, that ain't slowing down, that is not having any kind of struggle. That thing's healthy and ready to roll as if they just left the office over at the Louisville Men's Clinic after a new visit with doctor Wood. I mean, you know what I'm saying, like it's it's in peak peak performance to just you know, think and think of it that way. Didn't mean to spinning around to doctor Wood, but sometimes we just end up there. That's how naturally it comes to your mind exactly.
Speaker 3: You know what I got to give Churchill Downs a lot of credit on and just the last couple of years going out and doing the coverage, it's still been kind of under construction.
Speaker 2: The new Paddock area. That area is absolutely awesome.
Speaker 3: Ye like to walk down to get so up and like up close and personal with like the horses and the jockeys and that little like I wouldn't even say like intimate area, but like it's all nice. It's brand I just like things that are brand new that just always attracts me.
Speaker 2: And you got the whole lawn jeans, Like watch up there.
Speaker 3: It's it's awesome. I feel like a different person when I'm there there the magic of the Derby. Man, it's just sad it's over.
Speaker 2: It is. It is a sad thing when it comes to an end. And I'm glad you said that because the first I guess year or so, because I guess this is now the second year that it's kind of looked the way it looks might be the third year. But either way, it did make me sad, but only because of the nostalgia, right the you know the track Churchill Downs where you know when I go every year for Father's Day, long before I became a father, But I would go with my dad. We would go like in the spring, like a lot of people around here, right, Like, it's not something maybe you do every day that they're open, but you know, you take advantage of having Churchill Downs kind of right here in your backyard. There was always of, you know, something that came to mind, a visual of what it was like, and you know, the experience because it's all I knew. And they made some slight, you know, renovations over the years. It became more modern. So you know, I'm sure they've made some changes in my thirty six years on Earth, but really the last couple of years, that area that you're speaking of now is all brand new, and you know, it is insanely nice. And that's one of those things that I feel like, you know, we talked about it last week. They are well within their right and very smart, I think, to appeal and really you know, cater to a group of people that you know, look at this as I'm gonna be one of the most you know, I mean I shouldn't, you know. I guess every individual there has a different story, but like it's just a place to be. It competes with some of the bigger events that you'll see in Hollywood and fashion and sports because you know, that's just what the Derby brings. So, you know, I keep going back to the visual that I see over on Bowman Field, and I did see somebody post a clip I think it was on TikTok that just showed all the private jets that are sitting over there at the airport on Bowmen Field. And I don't know if they're there for the day, if they're there for the weekend or whatever it may be, but like that's the kind of people that the Derby brings in, right, people who can just you know, I'm gonna make a trip, but I'm not catching a flight. I'm gonna use the private jet. I mean, like that's that's what the Derby brings. So, you know, in order to kind of continue to be this dominant monster that is the Derby, one of the biggest events in sports, one of the old time. Hey I got to be there, man, that's a special thing. That's an event, it's a bucket list type of thing. I mean, all the changes they made recently have have been for good reason. And you know, certainly seems as if it's uh, if it's if it's working out for them.
Speaker 3: So many people when you were out there doing your field reporting, how many people did you talk to that were local compared to who was at.
Speaker 2: A time, not a one not. I mean I saw people that I knew, yeah, and ran into some folks that that that you know, that I chatted with. It like, you know, a couple of people listening to the show, a couple of people that that that I just know of and and and said hello to. And then you and I actually ended up not together but seeing and talking to the same person. Vince Tyrae was out there. Oh yeah, so you know, awesome, dude. So I see people that you know, I know are from here, and and I just assumed that some of them are. But man, I tell you what of all of the eight different people that I stopped to just have a conversation with, I mean I went in without any real expectation of knowing where they're from, and they weren't from anywhere. Like one person was from the Northeast, one person was from Pittsburgh, one person was from Texas, one person was from Maine. There was a couple from Tennessee. So you know, you never and that that alone. I'm a nerd for that kind of stuff, I suppose, but like just not knowing that just look just the the you know, you could be anywhere there and it'll be crowded, and just knowing that the all the folks that you're surrounded by could be from anywhere on the planet. And man, I tell you what, the you know, you really can tell if someone's maybe not from here, if they have an accident or they don't or they're not speaking English. And that is something that also I noticed, you know, just on the walk walk to the shuttle. I mean I could tell that there were some folks that I don't know what language they were speaking, but it certainly wasn't English. And you know, they got me thinking, man, they could be from anywhere, you know what I mean. And that's just you know, the nerd in me is like, that's actually kind of cool.
Speaker 3: Spoke to a guy from Sydney, Australia. Hell yeah, it was awesome. Has a long trip is a long long trip speaking of a long trip, and we got to get to a break in just a second. But I have to share I have to share this story. I think I mentioned this kind of in passing a couple of weeks ago, and it's so random and just bizarre, and I don't know how hell notable it is to bring up on the air right now. But then I tell you that my stepfather, who I'm very close to has been in my life for a long time, that he was going to Africa.
Speaker 2: Did you remember me bringing that up at all? No? Okay, I can't remember. So I think I mentioned it like last minute of a show, just because he had texted in something. And he's I mean, he's he's a big adventurer. He loves he loves to travel and see new places. He's one of those guys, and there's always good to have one of these guys in your army. There's not anything that he's not willing to go, like on a trip to do like he makes his own schedule. He loves adventurers, like, hey man, I gotta make a trip. I gotta go to like Wisconsin and drop something off. You want to ride with me? He's there, He's ready to roll, like he just you know, he's a good guy to go on a road trip because he'll blend and have fun with whatever is going on. So he has a friend that used to be his neighbor who moved away still lives here locally, but doesn't live next to him anymore. Well, he he has been engaged and he was getting married. His wife is from Africa, and they were going to have the wedding that they had the wedding in in Africa where she's from. So so, you know, I think it was kind of one of those well you know, you want to come, you can come, and he took him up on it. Like so he and another buddy who's a neighbor that also knows the guy getting married, they just decided the hell with it. So they went on a sixteen day trip to where they I mean they flew I think to They ended up flying from Louisville to Minneapolis, then to Paris, France, and then to somewhere in Africa, and then they had a long, long, like seven hour drive to get to sort of where her family's from. And then they ended up just doing a lot of like tourist type stuff throughout. I mean, he's sending me videos of him in a car as an elephant walks by. I'm not exaggerating. Yeah, So we're talking about like travel and like people from all over the world. Well, you know, he's been gone for sixteen days. He was supposed to land today about right now. But when he gets to the airport that you know, the first the first flight away or the first flight back, you know, headed back home, many flights will have they canceled it. So he's actually not leaving until to night and he won't be back until tomorrow. But I'm just I'm thinking, like that's got to be an experience that like you'll, I mean, that'll change you, right, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean my fiance went to Africa a couple of years ago by yourself, to Morocco.
Speaker 2: How that see that kind of stuff like that that makes me not jealous, but like I end people who do that stuff. Does that make sense? Yeah, because like that's I mean, I don't want to act like you're some crazy badass, but like that's that that takes a lot of guts to do that by especially by yourself, I mean as a woman, but like I am such a person that's like I gotta like I'm I mean, I'm I'm I'm soft. I guess it's the best way to describe it, because like I need to know, Okay, what's the accommodations, Like where we staying. Where were we staying? We talk in dc AC in the hotel, like, I'm you know what about Like I just to me, I'm so content and being a homebody. Although I do like traveling, Like there's a lot of trips I've gone on that I really enjoyed and remember forever, but like I had to be nudged to go, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, But anyways, I just got distracted because we're talking about people from all over the world and I haven't thought I haven't thought to ask him. But whenever he's you know, he's been in different parts of Africa in the last you know, in the last ten days or so, and I'm just curious, like when he brings up where he's from and nobody knows, Like if he says Kentucky Derby, even to people that far away, like will they pick up and know what it is. I'm gonna ask him about that because it's one of those things where it really wouldn't shock me if they did know. Oh yeah, I know what that is, because again it's the it's the Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 3: My fiance just a quick little side street. She went somewhere and I can confirm this later. I think it was somewhere in Spain. She's a solo traveler. She went somewhere in Spain a couple of years ago and just this little bitty hole in the wall. It's just it was called like the Kentucky Pizza Company and it just like has everything Kentucky on the wall from like KFC. It's cool and it's just like it's a restaurant dedicated to Kentucky Pizza.
Speaker 2: I guess. And she's so random, so cool. Yeah, right, she's probably there and thinking you can't make this up, like this is this is crazy? Yeah, it was. It was pretty neat to see. I may need for her. I may need to pick her brain at some point because I used to be scared. You're not scared, like I was going to be in danger. But like I used to think the thought of traveling by myself was so like what would I do? I would like I'd be bored, Like what's the point. And then honestly, the first like trip I went on for work where I was by myself, I realized like it's actually kind of it's like it's like therapeutic in a way with yourself and it's also specially if you're young. I mean I was. I'm not young now like that, But when I did it for the first time in my young twenties, I remember being like not scared, like I was going to get hurt, but like, you know, I won't know anybody, Like what am I going to do? And then you know, you kind of get out and you experience it, and there's there's something good about getting away. It's good for you, I think, to have some of that time by yourself where it's away and you're traveling. I just have never really had the stones to do it. And the more we talk about it, the more I'm thinking, okay, and I may need Sydney to kind of give me that push, because I will. I want to rent the car, drive across the country with no goal of getting to a certain spot, just see where I end up in about a seven day trip, drop the rental off at whatever airport I'm I'm gonna fly out back to come home, and just you know, hit the road and go on an adventure. Like wouldn't that be fun? Yes, Like sounds awesome. Not knowing where I would end up being, I mean, I know what direction I would head I would head west, but you know, I just I've always wanted to do that. And now the older that I get, and you know, I got kids and that it's not their fault, but like obviously just pack it up and leaving for a week isn't something that I can do as easily now as I could pre children get that now, Man, the family alone good. I'd love an RV because I'm I'm not much of a camper, Like I'm not like they were probably no joke, like they were sleeping in huts like my stepfather and his crew, because that's that's what this trip was. Like. There's part of it to where they're like they're out hearing hearing you know, rhinoceroses in the in the wild as they sleep. I mean, like, no joke, very harrowing experience. Yes, so I'm not built for that, but like you know, I love to get out and you know, props to your stepdad for doing that. O. Man, it's huge. I mean I've been like I do this with my mom and my dad. The older that like they get, the more I'm like, well, you better be careful. Are you taking care of yourself? Like if you can talk to the doctor. Why why are you sounding like that? Right? So, I've just been hoping he's been safe, but he's been. He's been checking in and sending pictures and stuff. So one thing I hate, though, is that he's got an Android and I've got an iPhone, so the video quality of what he's sending me is compromise. But when I see it on his device, it'll look a lot better. Right, I'm gonna go show Austin some of these pictures during the break, and I mean, you won't believe, like sort of the atmosphere he's been around since he's been over there, it's pretty cool. But we'll take a break way too long here. I apologize, but we'll keep it rolling. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Portons right on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So the transfer portal has been closed for a couple of weeks now, but still plenty of players available, not that many big names, but certainly still players out there, and still many scholarships that programs have to use. And as I've discussed for the last few weeks here and there, when you get to this point of the roster build and you've got the majority of your or your big your big you know, your big roles have been filled for the most part, but yet you're still trying to find some pieces that can help you, you know, really in any way. Right But obviously you're not selling a prom you know, maybe you are, but like for example, Louisville right now, you know, James Scott's role just became available, and I think you could easily go find somebody that could help and would be worthwhile of bringing on an adding. It's just I think it'll on what the buyer is looking for, right, Like what it really comes down to, like how many how many out there are truly you know, are looking to be an energy guy off the bench and play, you know, maybe eighteen minutes and really just you know, defend and hopefully you know, clean up around the rim like James did. I mean, you might be able to find somebody to do that. But you know, the majority of the guys that hit the portal, they want a big role, they want an opportunity to play, and you can always sell that. You come here, you compete, you'll get what you earn. But I think you know, these guys realize what the roster looks like when they're I mean, that's a huge That's probably one of the biggest things that is an obvious when it comes to what is considered by a player before he makes a decision that really isn't talked about a whole lot, and that is that who do you already have on your roster by position, right, because that that clearly is going to matter. So anyways, we've got some updates here on the hoop side of things. We'll start with Kentucky because just as it was reported I believe by Matt no Orlander of CBS Sports that they're, you know, their roster was essentially you know done. Maybe it's maybe it's not, because they've now added a transfer big man who actually is from Lexington originally Rhyese Potter, who played last year at Miami of Ohio. He I believe was at Lexington Christian Academy. But according to On three Sports, the seven foot one big man has has given Mark Pope a commitment. And I guess this came together kind of kind of quickly, and he was a known name, a known prospect here locally, but at the time that he was entering college. I mean, his offer list was pretty impressive, but it might have been better had at that point coaches already had the ability to go and decide not to be young, if that makes sense, right, Like they could decide, Okay, you know, I'm not going to bring in four freshmen to replace the veterans I just lost. I'll bring in a freshman or two, but I got to go get some guys that have played a lot of basketball. So maybe this move is the kind of move you'll see Guys coming out of high school just have to make like, Hey, look, I I know I'm not going to get early playing time and I'll probably get recruited over every year until I get a chance to actually show what I can do. And your chance to show what you can do is probably going to be at a place like, you know, Miami Ohio. So a big guy gives them some front court depth. He played fifty six games in two years there at Miami Ohio. Didn't put up big numbers, but obviously he's just somebody that gives you, you know, some good, some good presence around the rim. He'll have two years of eligibility left, and you know, I don't know exactly what type of schools he picked Kentucky over, but this is to me, like, this is what you're looking for in this situation, because you know they're already you know, they're already set for the most part on that roster. Right, They've got Jalen Lowe and Jaden in the in the portal, they brought in Jalen low cam Williams Diabate from Bama. Jayden Quainton's the big from Arizona State, and they've got the foreign guy who I can't know Gelbick is his name, I don't remember where it is. He's actually from in Europe. And then they brought in Aberdeen who was kind of their last big piece to transfer from Florida. And then now Reese Potter and then of course returning otega Oway, Garrison Chandler, Trent Noah, and then the freshmen are Mala Comorino and Jasper Johnson. So you really didn't have I mean, maybe what one scholarship available, and I just think, you know, best case scenario, maybe not best case scenario, but like realistically speaking, when you're filling out that role, a guy like Reese Potter is the kind of guy that like you hope you can find because again Potter just met her, you know, the sales pitch about coming to Kentucky. I mean, these guy's probably content knowing that he'll be backing up you know, Quaintance, probably maybe playing also behind guys like Garrison and whatnot. So I mean like last year when Louisville got big Frank Frank anselim Iby, I mean that commitment didn't get a whole lot of attention because his numbers weren't really that impressive. But you found somebody who was willing to say, yeah, I'll come to Louisville and embrace being a guy that may not play a lot, but I'll be ready if you need me. I'm a grown up, I'm experienced, and I'll do whatever the team needs. And it's not that guys out there will be anti doing whatever the team needs, but guys want to play. And the reality is, even if you're not a twenty two year old transferring for your final season, a lot of guys know right the writing's on the wall as far as what they're walking into. And look, if you are good enough, and it's like proven in practice, doesn't matter what people envision your role is going to be, you'll play. So Kentucky's added another player and I don't know if they even have a scholarship available after this, so that might make them totally totally complete. Now on the Louisville side of things, there's two new names I guess that we should keep an eye on as far as you know, guys that could be taken up these these final these final scholarships that are that are out there. You've got a Miami let's see, you've got a Miami transfer who I got. To be honest, I'm not super familiar with him, however, you know he's available. And again, Louisville right now is not looking for somebody. I mean, to be great if you can go get the best player in the portal, but like with what you've already added, you don't need to go out and get a guy that's had twenty points per game in his college career in order to be somebody that you you know, you know that can make you a good team. You kind of already have that. You're really just kind of putting the finishing touches on your roster. I feel like, but Miami transfer Paul Jobe, it's djo b e t I'm just gonna guess that it's Jobe, but I you know, I wouldn't be I was going to say it would wouldn't be wrong if I would not be surprised if I'm way wrong. But he has heard from a lot of schools, including Louisville. He's a six to seven guard who is from France, and he averaged five and a half points in two point six boards per game as a sophomore. So I will see what develops here. I mean again, he's got a long list of schools that he's talking to, so it's so tough to kind of know really where the interest level truly is. I mean, hearing that players are hearing from a coach really doesn't tell you much of anything, and sometimes you find out that like it may not even actually be true. So I'm not saying that's the case here, but again, it's it's it's a little difficult to uh, a little difficult to know exactly who's who's really a priority at certain times. But yeah, let's see the there was one more name outside of uh Let's see. Yeah, so outside of uh de Joba, you've got Britt Harris, who is a transfer to guard from USC Upstate. Don't know Louisvell's interest level, but again, he's somebody that they've at least reached out to. He averaged eleven point six points per game. And then Bobba Miller is still out there, and you know, that's somebody that I I mean, I think of all names that we know, Louisvill's at least had interest in and and and has have been listed. Uh, this would be the perfect scenario to kind of replace James Scott. I mean, I don't think these two guys do the same thing. But you know, because James Scott's a guy that just a guy that's physical, probably could be a little more physical. But again last year, I mean he was thrown in and played a lot of minutes, and I think he did a really good job given kind of the you know, given the circuit stances. But Bobba Miller is a more skilled big He kind of fits I mean, he kind of fits Pat Kelsey's offensive style, you know, in a perfect way, to be honest with He's six eleven two oh four but not exactly a physical presence and does most of his work, you know, away from the rim. But I just to me, he's the kind of guy that, yeah, if you could get him, hell yeah, that would give you a really good, talented piece. And I would imagine that just from viewing the roster post James Scott. If an addition is Bobby Miller, I'd say people probably view your roster as if you got better, if that's like a trade off. But I just have a hard time seeing Bobby Miller, you know, looking at Louisville as a place he'd really want to be at, knowing that you know, he's going to be competing with Cason Pryor. I mean, who knows, Honey Frew also as a front court player that is likely going to play a lot of minutes. So you know, but hey, look if money, if money is a big factor, I'd say Louisville is in good shape there. And you know, sometimes guys may be not worried about necessarily. Okay, I'm not going to go here because I don't want to compete against that guy. I want to go where maybe I know for sure I've got more minutes to walk right into. So it's tough to determine the it's tough to predict, but those are the names out there and again Louisville. You know, they're clearly going to try to use their scholarships as best they can, and wouldn't be a shocker if the last two, if there is maybe there's just one, maybe there's two that end up committing. It wouldn't be a shocker to me if you end up, you know, getting commitments from guys and we think, okay, who the hell's that, because that's how it works sometimes. Now, all right, quick break, we'll come back and let you hear the other the back end of our Derby montage from our coverage on eight forty whas on Saturday, So stick around for that and a lot more. We'll take you up till six o'clock on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, so we played the first first chunk of the Derby montage that we have annually after our long day of coverage for Derby on eight forty WHS. Let's get to the rest of it here and then we'll probably probably hit it from start to finish as we wrap the show a little later today. So if you are just now joining us, you know, don't worry if you missed out on the first part, you'll you'll get to it at some point. So here here is the rest of it.
Speaker 4: Paddock area with Brian Hernandez Junior. He is on Burnham Square the number nine horse. Later today, of course, the raining Kentucky Derby winning jockey.
Speaker 2: Brian, how are you doing it?
Speaker 4: I'm goodhead you, so, I'm good. And how's the track doing right now? And what are your expectations for later today?
Speaker 5: It's a little wet right now. We've got a lot of a lot of rain overnight. But uh, the track man, Jamie Richardson, he's done a good job of having it seemed pretty fair and horses they're kind of everywhere it seems safe. So uh, we just have to go out there later on in the day and just give our horse the best trip possible and hopefully we can. Uh we're gonna say two time raining Kentucky Derby winner.
Speaker 4: That's right, Brian Besselot today.
Speaker 2: All right, mister Gosscott boss.
Speaker 6: Well, well, well we've come to almost the end of our broadcast NBC. We'll pick up here at five o'clock so we can go to the Derby at six fifty seven. Tonight, you know, whas celebrating one hundredth year of broadcasting the Kentucky Derby, and fittingly enough, Tony Cruz is using this occasion to retire as our long standing morning host for the past twenty plus year.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Yeah? Yeah, I think you're right. Twenty one.
Speaker 6: What a fantastic career the cruise bad has had waking up Kentucky Anda for a generation. I know he's ready for a great retirement and a chance to do some traveling right now that you won't have to get up each morning. So what are you gonna do? Well, We've got some suggestions for you, Tony. You know you've always been a fan of NASCAR, right, so just another month, you know, you're gonna have the chance to drive south and admire dayteen for example, you know, and perhaps you could get take one of those luxury airplane adventures where you get your own little personal cabin on the plane with the shower and all that stuff, and they give you the robe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I believe the name of that excursion is the Flying Mohawks or to that effect.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's really experienced.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: Tony's always talking about his love for colonial times. He loves to go to Williamsburg, Virginia. I think he needs to take that luxury plane ride to the Old Country and travel down East Avenue and to the classic Burnham Swear area where they had that medieval re enactment. What are they calling, Oh, it's the Cold Battle uprising that took place years ago.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating to watch. Yes, it is.
Speaker 6: Perhaps traveling the ancient Egyptian lands is bore his taste, where he can learn about the sovereignty of past tours while enjoying fine dining at a luxe or cafe. We all know cruise he has this love of music. Yes, he's always singing Abba in the hallways.
Speaker 2: So it's only.
Speaker 6: Fitting he'd take off to that fine Mediterranean, upscale, nice sea resort by ASA and experience the yacht rock sounds of the band Rodriguez.
Speaker 2: I hear they put on an outstanding show.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: Still, I think Cruise Man might be more suited right here at home for the next chapter ahead of him. You know, perhaps another career in journalism awaits you as a book publisher. I hear he's working on a really insightful chronicle titled American promise. Now, he's not saying much about what's in this potential published work, but I have some ideas on what the subject might.
Speaker 2: Be for the book.
Speaker 6: After all, Tony has always been our charming citizen bull and he will never render judgment without solid facts. In fact, we have our own pit name for Tony around the office.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yes, uh huh.
Speaker 6: When he gets on those theology discussions, you can see the owen all mighty coming out of him, like the Lord infused him with a grande dose of fire and brimstone. He can really make this case with those biblical facts that raise the final gallant of emotions. Yes, sir, we all know Tony Cruz has the kindest caring heart of anyone you could encounter, one of the finest people you will ever be grace to call a friend. He's really just a silky, smooth sandman.
Speaker 1: Ah. That's right, man.
Speaker 6: We're gonna be sadd not to have the Cruise man around the office in about a month's time. But we're so very excited that he and his wonderful wife Penny can retire while their health is great and they can enjoy their grandchildren and other lives Joyce. After all, there's nothing worse than working so long and encountering health issues requiring the medications like neoquist that we advertise consistently on this radio station. As a matter of fact, you want to get free of the daily grind and spin that chunk of gold burning a hole in your pocket. Whatever the cruise man does and the next stage of life, we wish him the absolute best and know he'll be great at it. While we'll miss him dearly. We want to know retirement is gonna be t tastic heavy retirement happy Derby one.
Speaker 7: They're off in the Kentucky Derby. Journalism is in a little bit of traffic early on here. But he came out of the gato' Ka Citizen Bull and Neo Equos as expected to the front.
Speaker 2: But they've come well off the rail.
Speaker 7: And these two were setting the base with Oh and all mighty to the outside. East Avenue is away running in fourth American promise is fitth and down on the inside.
Speaker 2: Then admired DAYTONA. Burnham Square is closer.
Speaker 7: Today he's down on the rail, only about five links off the lead.
Speaker 2: And chunk of gold.
Speaker 7: And meanwhile we look back for journalism He's been swung to the outside by m Berto Reath Belie, and he's picking off horses one by one on the far outside. Neo Equo says the leader. At the top of the stretch. Journalism is on the olf as they turned for home, and Sovereign team's coming with him on the outside.
Speaker 2: Got two of them go.
Speaker 7: Right by with a furlong or on the Journalism and Sovereignty nose to nose down to the last sixteenth of a mile.
Speaker 2: Sovereignty has taken the lead. Journalism is second toward the hand. Signed Bays is third, but it will.
Speaker 7: Be Sovereignty to rule the Kentucky Jermy Journalism and Byeys of our next final camp and was fourth. The final time was two on two point three one second