Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky and and welcome in seven oh five here Kentucky and is Morning News with Niic Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas So, the big story nationally is what took place yesterday in Idaho. Just a tragic situation where two firefighters our dead. One the latest we heard was was in surgery and the suspect.
Speaker 2: We still don't know who that.
Speaker 1: Person is as far as we haven't learned the identity, but we do know that they are there dead as well as for reasons unknown. And the reason doesn't matter. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of coverage and interest in what would lead somebody to do such a thing. However, what has been a little bit of an adjustment for me is when it comes to just coverage of news and whatnot. Clearly what led this awful human being to set a fire in rural Idaho and then know that of course first responders, firefighters were going to be coming because that's what they do, and then just waiting as a sniper to take them out. I mean, there's no explanation, there's no no justification as far as the reason why somebody would do this. We we'll sit back and say, Okay, that makes sense, so it'll be covered but doesn't really matter. But again, that person is dead, and what we don't know is who that person was. But certainly that's a big story we were following, and if there is any update on it, and really any development on the story at all, we'll be sure to let you guys know. Here locally, big story is the passing of a legend. Eighty nine year old horse trainer, d Wayne Lucas, passed away on Saturday evening. Churchill Down's released a press release on Sunday morning to get it out there nationally and also just let folks know. Would imagine there's some that are connected to the horse racing industry that were maybe aware of this before it became big news yesterday, But yes, eighty nine years old, and what a legendary career that Dwayne Lucas had. A four time Kentucky Derby winner, had fourteen Triple Crown race wins, twenty Breeders Cup victories, and an all around legend. And I never had a chance to meet Dwayne Lucas, and I know that if I did get a chance to interact with him and meet him, I would feel as if it was an honor, just because that's the kind of presence that he had, that's the kind of reputation that he'd created in this city and of course in his industry of horse racing. And what stood out to me is even prior to of course hearing that he'd become ill in recent weeks and then of course his passing this weekend, he is discussed when it comes to horse racing, one because of how successful he's been.
Speaker 2: He's been doing it a long time as well. But those that have.
Speaker 1: Gotten the chance that I did not get to get to know him and cover him over the years, they speak highly of him, but not just in a way of he's great at what he does or he seems like a fun guy. He was able to leave an impression on people that certainly stood out, as somebody from Afar could tell.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: In fact, the more I.
Speaker 1: Hear people discuss Dewayne Lucas, meaning those that have covered his career in horse racing, my background prior to being here was in sports, and obviously you can't you don't have to be in sports or to even follow horse racing at all to know who de Waye Lucas is I wouldn't think, but you'll hear more about him and what he you know, the impact he left on people that had nothing to do with the Derby winds that he had and whatnot. So obviously he left, he left loved an impact here not only on his his profession of horse racing, but also just in this community. And he will certainly be missed. So yeah, eighty nine years old and a legend he was, and certainly thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family and and all those that that that that are dealing with this in a way that that most aren't meeting, they knew him and he he had an impact on their life.
Speaker 2: So very very very sad news. All right.
Speaker 1: So something else we were discussing in the seven in the six o'clock hour for those that are just now getting the day started and joining us, there's potentially going to be parking meters in the Highlands, which this will be the first time that if you just go and park on the street on Barchtown Road there in the Highlands area that you will you will have to pay. And as you could expect, there's plenty of people in the area that don't like that, and I do think it's a legitimate, legitimate gripe if you are a business owner in the Highlands that yes, although if there's a parking meter, maybe people won't sit there and park all day. But also if they know they have to park, people may easily just say Okay, yeah, I'm going to go to Frankfort Avenue, because that was mentioned by some of the residents that opposed the plan, meaning that there are other areas like Frankfort Avenue that remain meter free. So apparently there could potentially be if this all if their plan is successful, meaning they put three hundred and twenty eight parking meters along Barchtown Road. It's expected to be complete by June of twenty twenty six. And I just turned that into remember when parking just used to be free, Well, now I just.
Speaker 2: Expect to park, pay to park wherever I go.
Speaker 1: We talked about other things that just used to be considered free or at least you know, it was rare to have to pay for something. Well now it's just become something. I mean, parking is one of those things. But we had somebody on the talkback feature on the out radio app that mentioned you can leave the music play whenever I played it, because it's it's still people should still be able to hear it. But this is another one that I hadn't thought about. But it's the perfect example of something that you used to just would never think to pay for. Now it's insanely hard to find it for free.
Speaker 3: Hey, Nick, when you're talking about things used to be free, remember when you could actually even get free air. Now you gotta pay for the air to pup up your tires, so it's pretty bad. But even air in free, hepe, you guys have a great day.
Speaker 2: He's right.
Speaker 1: I remember I would. I would drive around thinking I gotta pay No, I'm gonna go find a gas station that has free air. And then I realized now that I'll be looking for a long time. In fact, if my car has a tire that needs air and i'm looking, by the time I found one for free, my tire may be completely low. So that's a good It's a good example of things that used to just you never would think you'd have to pay for, and now you probably aren't surprised when you find out that you do have to pay. All right, let's get an update of traffic and weather, and we have got another update of sports coming your way in about fifteen minutes. Right here on there's Radio eight forty WHS. I'm sure a lot of you, like myself, are interested to see what develops in the trial going on in Bowling Green in regards to the Crystal Rogers case. And on Friday afternoon there was testimony that I believe was as damaging as anything throughout this trial so far when it comes to the defense. So we now have a neighbor that provided testimony that Brooks Howke's family was suspiciously moving bags from their trunks into his basement just days after she had vanished. Sounds as if they moved vehicles to not only I guess I'm sure that well I shouldn't say I'm sure. I don't know that for certain, but they were also moving vehicles to block and kind of hide what it was they were doing, which, again, according to the testimony, is that they were moving big bags suspiciously from their trunks into his basement, which again there's no way to prove it. But what was in those bags, I'm sure a lot of folks are of the belief that it was probably her remains, because again the belief is that she is she dead, but there's nobody and that has been of course mentioned quite a bit when it comes to the defense, because that's their best chance of having a successful outcome for brooks House here is that despite all the circumstantantial evidence, and certainly I just don't know how you could look at what's out there, not only now during this trial, but even before that. This is ten years old, and I know there's some that may think, well, it could just be manipulated by the media, that the coverage of it and the interest level has just made it to where everybody is the public opinion has already convicted everybody involved here, And I mean, I don't think that's a factor for at least I can only speak for myself. But to me, I mean again, I don't know how you could come to the conclusion that if you had to guess who was responsible for this, it would be those that of course are on trial. But the keyword there is guess. You got to be able to prove it, or at least you got to be able to prove it to a jury. So also another piece of testimony was from a woman named Heather. Heather's snelling. She testified overhearing both Josh Joseph and Stephen Lawson discuss moving a body on the Hauke farm using a skid steer. I mean, that was a pretty pretty big development. So you've got a neighbor mentioning suspicious activity at the house of the Hawkes, both not only I mean not only Brooks house, but the neighbor testified that it was Hawke's mother, Rosemary, and his brother Nick that were at the home after the disappearance and doing some suspicious stuff as far as moving cars to back trucks, to back trunks of vehicles toward the basement and carrying bags and clearly just that suspicious in its own right, but also not only backing the trunk up, but also moving vehicles to probably try to hide what it was you were doing as best you could. Also, the phone of Nick Howk, the brother of Brooks Houk, who was former law former law enforcement and of course has been fired since then and is now listed as an unindicted co conspirator along with his mother. His his phone was off from July second through the fourth. And that I mean that that's that's not really proof of anything, but that's just highly suspicious behavior to just have your phone off, especially when you've given your I mean, I don't know what this person's daily activity would be on said phone, but I feel like if you are somebody that at the time you know is working in law enforcement, you'd have a tough time doing anything if you just had your phone off.
Speaker 2: So again, the evidence.
Speaker 1: Is is is there, But again it's not, it's not proof, and it's just it's it's all circumstantial evidence. So the defense team for for Brooks, how as you could imagine, just keeps mentioning that this case stems from media and family pressure. There's no body, no weapon, no eyewitness, and their defense as far as the the cell phone pings that that again aren't aren't aren't.
Speaker 2: A good look here for Brooks.
Speaker 1: How as far as where his phone was, the defense claims that it's they those pings reflect Wi Fi connections, not a campground stop, which that's what the prosecution include that that's one of the things they mentioned that that happened that night, is that he stopped at a campground with one of the lawsons. So we'll see what happens over the next the next few days, but it's set to resume today and I think the more testimonies expected. But this this case itself, the trial, I should say, it sounds like it was expected to be about ten days. All right, We've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way. Also another update on sports right here our news radio eight forty whs.
Speaker 2: That's right, get it.
Speaker 1: While it's hot is going to be hot once again today.
Speaker 2: But this show is is hot.
Speaker 1: It is hot still a I mean, it went from being if you something was hot, it was cool, and then if you said something was cold. The older generation may not get this, but help me out here, John Alden. You can attest that at one point in our youth, referencing something as cold was a compliment to set something right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you're a cold man, like a bag, Oh he's cold, same way.
Speaker 1: So whatever is whatever is the new hip way to describe something being good. That's what we are at least that's what we're gonna try to speak into existence. It is Knentucky, this morning news here, our news radio. Wait forty whas Nick coffee with you. John Alden is alongside and before we get into this reality TV casting director who's given some tips as far as if you've ever wanted to get past a very competitive field of probably one hundreds thousands trying to get a spot on these popular reality shows.
Speaker 2: She's got some tips.
Speaker 1: But first I did want to let you hear Josh heard a little bit of what he had to say on Saturday morning, as Tom Jurich was honored by both the University of Louisville and the city the former Louisville a D. I don't think it's a stretch to say he was as impactful as anybody in the history of the University of louisll when it comes to athletics, and that's not taken away credit from others that have been impactful as well. But I just don't think how you could argue that when you think of where Louisville athletics is today and where it was prior to Tom Jurich, you know, being here as the athletic director, I mean, he's he has left an impact that from now until the end of time, the university, the city, and the athletics department will will benefit from. But Josh Herd is somebody who's now I think, doing a great job, and there's real good momentum with you of all athletics right now where I thought made this the timing of this almost perfect. But heard also worked for Tom Jorge, and I'm not sure a lot of people know that it became just a revolving door of interimad and then I mean with Jorge getting fired and then Tyree stepping in, and then Tyree having that very odd and unusual fallout with Neolie ben Depouti, and then you had Josh as the interim and then it looked as if maybe they were going to have others maybe interviewed for the job, and maybe they did. But anyways, prior to becoming the athletic director and before I guess he was at Villanova before he came back to Louisville, Josh Hurt was, but he also worked for Tom Jurche. And here is a part of what he had to say during Saturday's ceremony.
Speaker 5: Lastly, on a more personal note, I would be remiss if I did not take a moment to personally and publicly thank you for all you did for my family and my career. You gave me my first opportunity in college athletics. You put up with a lot of mistakes I made during my ten years working for you. You helped and supported me as I was trying to get the job at Villanova. So for me and Abbey, thank you.
Speaker 1: We'll have more as we roll along this morning, just from those that were part of the ceremony that I thought was just really well done and certainly deserve for Tom, and if he had any doubt about how much he was appreciated by Louisville fans, I would hope that that doubt has been removed because certainly a special weekend for a lot of Louisville fans and as some may as somebody coming from the sports world, where you know, there's fanatics, there's people who it's a big part of their life, it's a big part of their culture. They make such an emotional investment into being a big time fan and supporter. I mean that Tom jerg Era was special and then of course it had an ugly, ugly ending, and that wasn't good for anybody, all right. So this casting director who's given us the scoop here as far as how you can how you can end up getting through and making it on shows like The Bachelor, survivor Big Brother. What you need to do is figure out which type you're going to be. And what I mean is the villain, the sweetheart, the wild cards. So if you go into the auditions and you identify, I guess internally as one of those, and you really sell that, maybe not as hey, here's why I'll be the great villain, just do it and make it seem natural, because what they try to find, according to this casting director, is the balance of authenticity and performance. And I totally think I understand. I think I understand exactly what that means is that you've got to be able to kind of turn it up a notch. Because again, you are on television like reality TV and documentary TV. I think a lot of people just throw them in the same thing.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 1: Big Brother has producers, Survivor has producers to where they're building out a cast, and yes, it's average joes who end up making it on TV and we watch and we're we can relate because maybe this person that's the favorite and Survivor, he you know, he's a he's a lawyer like me, or he's a he's a Dennis like my dad or something. But they they don't manufacture drama, but they certainly amp it up a little bit. So I think if you are somebody that just naturally you're a good villain or you're a good sweetheart, and you can, you know, you can have a level of turning that up when it needs to be turned up for entertainment value. I feel like that's from what I've read here, that seems like the way to really stand out. And John, you you told me you wanted to be on Big Brother, not Big Brother Survivor Survivor.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I grew up.
Speaker 4: I used to watch Survivor with my family, and there was a point where I decided when I turned eighteen, I was going to audition for Survivor. But by the time I got to that age, I no longer had the interest for I think I just didn't want to put forth the effort to maybe try to get on the show.
Speaker 2: So you're telling me you gave up on your dream. I did.
Speaker 4: I did give him my dream.
Speaker 1: Very sad, very sad to hear that the dream can can be alive again.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think I can do, especially now that you hear the tips and tricks. I don't think I could find the balance between performance and authenticity.
Speaker 1: But you are you we'll talk about it more on the other side, because I now think I got to get John in front of this casting director for Survivor because he's got to fill out his dream.
Speaker 2: The dream shouldn't be over. But we'll get to that at a lot more.
Speaker 1: As you move along, it's time for another update on traffic and weather right here on news Radio eight forty WHS seven forty six here Kentucky, Anda's Morning News on news Radio eight forty whas. I'm gonna pick up where we left off. We're gonna get the dream back alive for John Alden. I will say this about John for those who missed it. Just a moment ago, we were talking about the breakdown from a casting director that was given advice on how you could get through a very competitive process with reality television making your way onto shows like The Bachelor, Survivor and Big Brother. I don't think anybody knows how they would do when it comes to Survivor and what that is until you're actually out there. But I will say of all the people that I know you are in the small group of friends acquaintances that I would say I would have some confidence in more than ninety eight percent of the people that I know, So.
Speaker 4: Why would that be?
Speaker 1: Then, I'm just because you are not someone that you're an old soul things that I think a lot. And I say that knowing you're a lot younger than me.
Speaker 2: You I think you would.
Speaker 1: You would deal much better than most without just every day things we have that if you didn't have it, people will, like myself, would lose their mind. You could, You could not have a cell phone and probably not notice it. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but you are I think you would deal with the conditions better than most.
Speaker 2: I'll put it that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that aspect I would do well with. I don't know how I would do with, like, you know, eating certain foods. I am a fairly picky eater for certain things. Yeah. And then in terms of the like living on the like the beach or whatever, creating your own habitat your own shelter, if we did a good job at creating a good one, I could deal with it. But like if we if my team or whoever it might be, wasn't it wasn't full of people who knew how to build that sort of stuff, I might be in trouble there too.
Speaker 1: I think you can have the and clearly the survival skills and all that that is that it's a real value when it comes to competing and Survivor. But I also think it's not nearly as valuable as a lot of people first timers on the show expect, because again, that's more so for just you being able to survive winning the game. You know, if you have that value and you're good at winning challenges, then clearly you're going to be.
Speaker 2: A valuable player.
Speaker 1: But what always stands out to me when it comes to cause Big Big Brother and Survivor are both CBS shows that have some somewhat of the same concept to where you know, you you vote people out, and but you know, instead of being out in the wilderness, you're also you're just locked in a house where you can't go anywhere when it's a Big Brother. But what always stands out to me is there's every years there's a new season and there's somebody that has really good social skills to where they're charming with some charisma, they are very competitive athletically to where they're going to stand out and win challenges, but what they always lack is the self awareness. They don't realize that eighty five percent of the other contestants are are are not a big fan, Like they don't have the awareness that everyone doesn't love them like they think they do, and they end up getting like blindsided. Usually they'll find out right before they're about to be voted out. And I just think that's you know, I've watched a lot of Survivor, I watched a lot of Big Brother over the years, and I just think that's a common issue that early on in each season I see that I just I now expect that I now try to predict who it's going to be, Like, who's who looks like they're going to be a real threat, but by week two may be gone because they've rubbed people the wrong way and we're watching, the millions of us are watching on television, and we can see it. We're like, oh, yeah, guy, Guy's a really big fan of himself and they have no clue that they brought people the wrong.
Speaker 2: Way and they end up gone.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I can tell you on any of those shows, I would not when I wouldn't do well, I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 1: I mean, it'd be a big opportunity because all that comes with it a potential chance to win life changing money and you get exposure to where you really become a celebrity, and that could benefit you in a lot of ways. But the amount of time I'd have to be gone from my family, I.
Speaker 2: Just know that I could. I would be the guy that would.
Speaker 1: Be crying after a week talking about missing my kids.
Speaker 2: That would be me. So I'm not built forward.
Speaker 4: But as far as Survivor, make it like the family Visit episodes, yeah, water works for.
Speaker 1: Mister m it would be I'm gonna. I'm I'm gonna slowly but surely build this up to where by the time we get to a month from now, you're gonna be thinking, you know what, Nick, You're right, I'm gonna. I'm gonna compete to get a shot on Survivor and the Amazing Race. Yeah, yeah, that could be.
Speaker 2: That could be done.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: That's one that I don't love how I don't love my chances. But of the other reality shows that we've talked about, I would say Amazing Race would be one that I would that I would I do better at than the others. But anyways, we've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way. Also, A fresh update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald right here on news radio eight forty WHS