Speaker 1: Hello, Federalist Radio Hour friends. It's your amiable host and experience Shirpa Matt Kittle. You know I have the good fortune of talking to some of the most interesting people thought leaders in politics and culture. Today there's shining light on some very dark places in our government and fighting for the foundational values of this republic, this last best hope for liberty, and that's what we do every day at the Federalist. We can't do that without you. The Federalist Foundation is a nonprofit and we depend entirely on our listeners and readers, not corporations. If you value fearless independent journalism, please consider a tax deductible gift today at the Federalist dot com backslash donate. That's the Federalist dot com backslash donate. Your support keeps us going. Merry Christmas in a blessed new Year from your friends at the Federalist and we are back with another edition of the Federalist Radio Hour. I'm Matt Kittle, Senior Elections correspondent at the Federalist and your experienced Shrpa on today's quest for knowledge. As always, you can email the show at radio at the Federalist dot com follow us on exit FDR LST. Make sure to subscribe reever you download your podcast, and of course to the premium version of our website as well. Our guest today is Kenneth Calvert, Professor of History and director of the Oxford Program at Hillsdale College. In this blessed season, let us pause to reflect on the miraculous birth and times of course and the first Christians, and Professor Calvert is here to help us do just that. Thank you so much for joining us on this edition of the Federalist Radio Hour.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Matt, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Let's begin really at the beginning, shall we, Actually it goes back a ways, but you'll understand where I'm coming from when I read the book of Luke two eight through twenty, and it is this. There were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night, and lo, the Angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shown round about them, and they were sore afraid. Thus begins Luke chapter two eight through twenty. It was a at least the start of this sequence is a bit unnerving for the shepherd's watching over their flocks, was it not.
Speaker 3: That's right, it was, And the shepherds are being addressed by angels, and of course in that moment, the idea that they're frightened is entirely understandable. But they're being invited to the most important event in human history, the birth of God Incarnate in Bethlehem and the night of the Night of his birth. Of course it was just angels and shepherds. The magi I wouldn't show up for another two years, and so we have to remember that. And what's wonderful about Luke is just the simplicity, straightforward nature of the na of the message. And if I may, I'd like to actually start with the time of Zechariah, the husband of Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: Certainly, yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So we go back to Zechariah and we look at the announcement that he receives. He's a priest serving in the temple. We're not quite sure what event it is, but it could very well be if this is if this is somewhere around six or seven BC, we're looking at either the day of the Atonement or the Feast of the Tabernacles, and he is he is serving in the temple, and he is told by the Angel that he was going to have a child, that he and Elizabeth would have a child, and of course he didn't believe it, and he was struck dumb as compared to Mary, who was visited by Gabriel, and she accepts it and she says, yes, I am the handmaid of the Lord right, And so you have this contrast between these the two receptions of this message. But we are told then Mary is told to go visit her relative Elizabeth, and we're not quite sure how they're related, but they are related, and she's to go visit her, and she's already six months pregnant. So if we look at Zachariah at the temple in somewhere around six b C, which is about the time when Jesus was born, and we look at when he was there sometime in September, this means that the incarnation of God, the visitation of Gabriel to Mary, took place sometime in March. And then of course what's nine months from March, well, December, and so when we talk about the celebration of this most important event in human history, the arrival of God incarnate, and we're talking about December twenty fifth, as about the approximate correct date of his birth, and we look at scripture and we look at the foundations of it, we're not far off. And I think that it's very important for us to understand. Quite often we hear that it was Constantine who somehow established December twenty fifth as the date of Christmas, which there is absolutely no historical evidence for that at all, and that always befuddles me a little bit as an ancient historian, and especially one who studies the early Church, because by the second and third centuries AD, you have a number of these early Christian scholars, early Christian leaders, identifying specifically March twenty fifth as the date of the incarnation. And that's what they're most interested in, of course, is the very moment when God becomes man. And this is why in early Christianity and all down through Christian history we've believed and assert and of course science shows that human life begins at conception, and there when we talk about God incarnate conception, that's what the early Christians held on to. You look at people like Hippolitists or Tertullian, Clement of Alexandria. A number of these early Christian scholars are looking at March twenty fifth as the date of the conception of God Incarnate, and then of course December twenty fifth, nine months later, as the date of his amazing birth and the announcement to those shepherds who Matthew and Luke give this wonderful contrast, matt between the God of the universe, the true King of the Universe, being born in Bethlehem, right, and this baby, this baby who is not only the second member of the Trinity, but you know, now here in flesh, as compared to the guy further down the Mediterranean Sea in Rome, Caesar Augustus, who is proclaimed by his people to be a god, to be a son of a god, of Julius Caesar. And the amazing contrast there of the human view of power, the human view of authority, as compared to the true authority in that baby in Bethlehem.
Speaker 2: It's just so.
Speaker 3: Powerful, and any Christian reading that in the first century, first century AD would understand that contrast. And indeed one of the reasons why Herod sent his troops to kill babies at Bethlehem was to try and get rid of this king of the Jews who had arrived because the Senate had made him quote unquote the king of the Jews. And so there again a contrast in the real power versus the human claims to authority. It is a very very powerful message, and sometimes here, you know, twenty one, one hundred years later, almost forget just how powerful that message was in the first century.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is so powerful.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned, you know, the two very interesting narratives that are the same, but they're told with you know, you can tell that these are different people telling this story in Luke and in Matthew, but it comes down to the same message that it is a humbling experience. It is, you know, filled with humanness, but filled with divinity at the same time. And I think I always think about that silent night, and every time I hear that, I I feel those words that you know, the Gospel describing this scene, because indeed, a I'm sure that around everyone you know, was you know, perhaps some noise and maybe some cacophony in the background, right, but you know, in this in this setting, in this manger, this was as they say in German, you know, well the translation is still still still right. It's a calm in this moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and this is the God of the universe. Well, let's put it this way. All of the Old Testament points ahead to this, and then all of the rest of history is defined by this moment, by this still moment, in this in this, in this manger where one, you know, just from from human eyes, one would never expect the God of the universe to arrive, right it is. It is so contrary to everything that we think is powerful and important.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and we think about well here, as you mentioned before, these assumptions of divinity in these very flawed, very flawed human beings. Well it wasn't you know, it was at this moment where you have the crossroads of this history going on. You talked about Elizabeth and who was Elizabeth's son?
Speaker 2: They you know, And it's.
Speaker 1: Always interesting to me because the you know, the Old Testament is filled with God fulfilling his promises, especially around older people, right right, run out of time, the biological clock. And it's always interesting to me that you have two people in this particular instance saying there's no way that could have we're too old to have children. Right exactly, here comes John the Baptist right right.
Speaker 3: And you know, Sarah Abraham look at Samuel's mother Samson's mother. You know, there are these miraculous births all down through the Old Testament, and then of course in Isaiah the promise that the virgin will be birth, be giving birth to God with us right in Manuel Manuel.
Speaker 2: And here is the fulfillment of all of that.
Speaker 3: And God takes on flesh, and by doing that, you know, he sets up the whole salvation history, the whole drama pointing ahead to his taking on flesh. Therefore able to die and dies you atoning for our sin. And then is able also in the flesh to rise from the dead and have victory over death.
Speaker 1: And if I can go back for a moment, because you talked about the chronology of this, and I think that is a critical point, I want to focus on this a bit because we have heard from some modern day historians. Oh no, no, Christ was not born on December twenty fifth. You know, this was just the emerging of some you know, pagan winter solstice festivals with as you mentioned before, the Roman calendar tying this stuff in. Where did they come up with this stuff? Because we have in the early Christian historians, as you mentioned from the beginning, talked about the moment of that immaculate conception, and that Immaculate Conception being in March, which would take the Mary's all women's gestation period up to you know the end of December.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, there's there's all kinds of things that might be pointed to. Probably they're the strongest evidence for a Constantinian era establishment of December twenty fifth is a calendar that it's actually not in Constantinople, where Constantine is ruling from, but in Rome. And what it does show is that Christmas was being celebrated alongside the celebration of a god, Soul Invictus, and I believe also the Saturnalia. Now that doesn't mean that they were all established at that moment and that they were all seen as equal, and that is important. It's just a calendar that lists what's going on at that moment, right.
Speaker 2: So what we have to look at actually is.
Speaker 3: An emperor named Aurelian who ruled from two seventy to two seventy five. And Aurelian actually introduced a god that had been debated over by the Romans for a while named Soul Invictus, which is the invincible Sun. So that solar worship and what he does is established December twenty fifth, the winter solstice, as the moment or the day in which that God is worshiped. And so you know, there are a number of things going on here, because there's persecution of the Christians going on at the same time under Aurelian, Christianity is growing leaps and bounds in this period. And so what you might look at her a couple of things. Number one, is he trying to cover up Christianity by establishing a new solar worship or is he trying to maybe co ot Christianity and bring Christianity into the Empire, which is a possibility but unlikely. Or is he just establishing a new God. You know, those are our options. But what is often confusing to those who look back at this time is that it is a December twenty fifth celebration and therefore seems to be, you know, coordinated somehow with the Christian celebration. What I think is also important is that the Christians had a certain amount of solar imagery attached to Christ. In the Book of Numbers, the Messiah is called a star. In I believe it's Malachi, he is called the sun. The s u n of righteousness. And then in the Gospel of John, you know, the light comes into the world, you know, the darkness, you know, you know fhades because of the light coming into the world. There is this light imagery and even solar imagery that the Christians do discuss and talk about, and ultimately it will work its way into their art. But that doesn't mean it's the same as the pagan idea of soul and Victus or the invincible sun.
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 3: And one thing I always, you know, scratch my head about is, you know, people who are saying that this is the same thing, that they're all intertwining and this is proof of you know, pagan roots of Christianity. I think that's really hard to argue because remember that the Christians are being persecuted. Yes, why would the Christians want to, you know, intertwine themselves with paganism. In fact, if I can just say one more thing about, you know, the celebration of Christmas by the early Christian early Christians. In fact, there's a wonderful hymn of the Father's Love Forgotten written by Prudentius. That's our earliest known Christian hymn in the fourth century, and I've heard that song in every Christian church. It's just a wonderful hymn. And the Christians set themselves aside in terms of their celebration of Christmas as compared to the celebration of Soul and Victis or the celebration of the Saturnalia. The Christians, Jerome of Jerusalem says this. He says, they have debauchery, they have corruption. They drink too much wine, you know, they drink too much, they eat too much food. It is just absolute corruption. Whereas we Christians and the celebration of Christ at this time of the year, we're giving to the poor, We're remembering Christ and why he came, you know, we're remembering the reason for the incarnation. You know, it's such a drastic contrast to that pagan celebration. And so the Christians were, i would argue, very much aware that what they were doing was different, even though it was around the same time of year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is really played out in the notion of walk in the spirit and not in the flesh. Absolutely only one human being, flesh born human being, who was ever perfect. The spirit is always perfect, and the spirit lived of course in Christ.
Speaker 2: God incarnate.
Speaker 1: But you know that is what Paul and others urged, so exactly you walk in that spirit, and that must have been well, to say the least, quite a challenge in those early days when they weren't walking. A lot of times in some places they were running from villages where they were being throwing rocks at them and trying to take their lives.
Speaker 3: And again in the two fifties AD, just before Aurelian there was empire wide persecution of the Christians. They were being dragged out into the streets and it was.
Speaker 2: Really a horrible time.
Speaker 3: And so you know, I think that we have to recall that the Christians are going to separate themselves, distance themselves from their persecutors. Now, one thing I also have to add is whereas March twenty fifth, the date of the conception of God Incarnate, is the date that they look to most reverently.
Speaker 2: The other, of course, is.
Speaker 3: Easter, and they set that date very early and have a couple of councils in which they want to establish the date of the celebration of Easter. There are some differences between the West and the East, but mostly based upon the fact that we're using different calendars.
Speaker 2: But it's really the same day, and.
Speaker 3: And it is it is that that moment of his atonement and resurrection that the Christians very early on viewed as the most important. The celebration of Christmas and of the Incarnation really was a secondary celebration. But I think it is important for us to understand that as we celebrate it, we do celebrate it in communion with our early brothers and sisters in Christ, and that this is not something to be taken as just made up by the Emperor Constantine and some some group of group of people. I'm not sure even who would you know who would put that together and say therefore it's a pagan celebration.
Speaker 2: That's just that's just not correct.
Speaker 1: Now, sir, are you telling us that this event that we celebrate every year as Christians, we it's so dear, is not about you know, your your prime membership. It's not about heading to the mall and buying up as much of the latest stuff as you can for the kids or whoever it's it's it's not about that.
Speaker 2: It's believe it or not, it's not.
Speaker 3: Although I have to say that if we if we truly associate all of that with God's gifts to us and God's grace towards us. If that's if that's really the meaning that we understand for all of this in context, then I think we're heading in the right direction, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that we.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be I don't want to be too curmudgeonally right, but it is it is important for us in the end to focus on why this all happened. In fact, I was asked the other day what I thought that the most important symbol for Christmas might be, And of course I think the crash the Nativity scene is very important. But I think too that Christians should display across in my tradition as a Catholic, of course, a crucifix, so that we remember what Paul says, I boasted nothing but Christ and him crucified. That this is really at the core the true meaning of Christmas, That this is what it all points ahead to, and that is the real gift right that has been given to us and the real gift that we proclaim to the world at this time of year.
Speaker 4: Fed chair j Pal seems like he's straight out of reservoir dogs stuck in the middle. The watched Out on Wall Street podcast with Chris Markowski. Every day, Chris helps unpack the connection between politics and the economy and how it affects your wallet. With inflation on one side and unemployment on the other. J Pal's acting clueless with a dual mandate coming in from both sides. There's not much else he can do. Whether it's happening in DC or down on Wall Street, it's affecting you financially.
Speaker 3: Be informed.
Speaker 4: Check out the Watchdot on Wall Street podcast with Chris Rkowski on Apple, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: And so many gifts. I never want to lose track of that. You know. The gift obviously is our Lord and our Savior.
Speaker 2: That's appradiable.
Speaker 1: But I think about all of the miracles then took place in order for this birth to be, in order for this child to survive a very dangerous time, that this child would grow up to do such miraculous works, if you would, I mean, I'm not asking you to count the miracles, but to talk about the miracles surrounding this faith.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So, one thing that always jumps out at me, and of course I'm a historian and I think about these things. The empire has been established by Caesar Augustus at this time, and there's a border, a border that stretches between Egypt and the territory overseen by Herod. And of course the Holy Family going down to Egypt is a fulfillment of scripture. They need to go down to Egypt because the Lord would call his son out of Egypt. Right, this is this is important. But what I find amazing is that Egypt is the is the closest place, the nearest part of the Empire to which the Holy Family might go for safety and be outside the jurisdiction of Herod. And so by going from Bethlehem down to Egypt, and we don't know what part of Egypt they were in, they had just been given gold, frank and sense and murder by the by the magi. But the fact that they're called down to there is in my mind a beautiful confirmation of so many things of prophecy, of gods, of God's providence, of God looking you know, the Joseph being faithful to his calling as a father, as an earthly father, and Herod can't touch them there, and so you know, Matthew tells us that after Herod dies, then the Holy Family comes back and goes up to Nazareth. Again it is it's perfect in the way that all unfolds his his his real Uh. Ministry and miracles don't begin till the wedding of Cana in which he you know, produces the wine for that wedding. And then his public miracles begin, and all of them focused on what on, on healing, on health, on on not only spiritual healing, but but excuse me, not only physical healing, but spiritual healing as well of driving out those demons and those those things that possess us. It is it's beautiful and Uh, just three years of preaching of miraculous healing, he shows his control over nature. John in the Gospel of John, were told that he was there. He was present at creation. Right this again, this is that baby. That baby was present at creation and as an adult Jesus president, he had been president at creation. He walks on the water, he calms the waves, and his disciples are just in awe and sometimes in fear of what this person is able to do and what he represents.
Speaker 1: Do you ever think to yourself, I have done this. I think I what hazard as they most Christians have, What if you had lived at this time?
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: What if you had seen what these ancient people had seen, heard what they had heard, in many cases, felt what they had felt right.
Speaker 3: And you know, I, of course, as we all do, would love to say, oh yeah, you know, I'd buy into it.
Speaker 2: I'd be right there, right.
Speaker 3: But but you know, one of the problems that you know, the Jewish leadership and Jews were having with Jesus was his claim to divine authority.
Speaker 2: That he is God right, and so how how would you take that and listen to this guy? Of course, you would see on the one hand, the amazing miracles that he is producing. On the other hand, he's claiming that he is God. And therefore, you know, you've just got this incredible tension. I would love to have said that, you know, I'd fallen in with the other disciples and been right there the whole way. But then you know, at his at his trial and at his death, they all faded away, except for John, except for his mother, at hist at his crucifixion, they all faded away and and had to come back and and be you know, re reattached to him. We find Jesus and Peter on the on the shore, and you know, Jesus asked Peter three times, do you love me? Right?
Speaker 3: And there is this reconnection, this reaffirmation of that relationship.
Speaker 1: The number is striking, isn't it. Three times? Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Three days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be lifted up three days, three times that Peter denied the Christ.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: It is truly the greatest story ever told, because it is the greatest salvation known to man, certainly to.
Speaker 2: We who believe.
Speaker 1: And I so appreciate you sharing that with us. The early times and life of Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Well, Matt, it's it's a pleasure. It's a pleasure to talk to you about it. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I hope to talk to you soon. Perhaps we can do this on the eastern side of things.
Speaker 2: I would love to. That would be great.
Speaker 1: I would look forward to that. Thanks to my guest today Hillsdale is Kenneth Calvert, Professor of History and director of the Oxford Program at Hillsdale College. You remember the gospel section I was referring to the Book of Luke earlier on in our conversation. In fact, it's Luke chapter two, verses eight through twenty. For those who grew up during a certain time or for those young today who still love the Peanuts Christmas made all the way back in what nineteen sixty five, Well, there is a portion of that wonderful Christmas special that you would never see on average television, streaming whatever these days. In fact, if you recall or if you haven't seen it, I hope you will, because it's a holiday tradition in our house that the Peanuts gang, Charlie Brown puts together a Peanuts pageant for Christmas. He's getting more and more frustrated that nobody understands the true meaning of Christmas. And you call Linus puts it all in perspective for Charlie Brown and for us.
Speaker 5: And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the Angel of the Lord came upon them. The glory of the lordshill round about them, and they were sore afraid, and the Angel set into them. If you're not for behold, I bring you tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David, a savior, Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign onto you. You shall find the Babe wrapped in swaddling cloves, lying in an anger, and suddenly there was with the Angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God. I'm saying glory to God in the highest and on earth, peace goodwill toward me in That's what Christmas is thought about, Charlie Brown, That's.
Speaker 1: That's what it means. Linus Well cartoon character carrying around a blue blanket, Well, he put it all in perspective, something that we should keep our minds and our hearts on, I hope during this Christmas season.
Speaker 2: And again.
Speaker 1: Something you would never see in children's television in Christmas specials these days. By any stretch, you've been listening to another edition of the Federalist Radio Hour. I'm Matt Kittle, Senior Elections correspondent at the Federalist. We'll be back soon with more. Until then, stay lovers of freedom, anxious for the fray