Speaker 1: Stringy live. I mean I heard radio whif. This is I on the Ball with Steve Ribera and Jay Gonzalez, Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Winning the Ball here at Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Roberta in today for Jay. This is Lemon Hunry and now we have one with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball, Breaking news.
Speaker 3: All right, y'all, Happy Friday out there. From yours truly, mister goody two shoes. Starting off with some Olympic news, the USA mixed relay team say a world record and placed first in gold and therefore by four hundred. The team of Vernnon Norwood, sameir, Little Kaylon Brown and Bryce Deadman did it with the time of three seven forty one.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, you.
Speaker 4: Said bix based on previous performances.
Speaker 3: No, so like man and women's Oh I didn't know they had.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have a mix male and females run together just the first time.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: I heard the word mixed, so I was that's good.
Speaker 2: That's a good question.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I guess so kind a sport guy on you.
Speaker 2: Not a good one, not a good I told you, I've told people on the show. I'm not a sports fan anymore. You you're fan. You athletes are a bunch of pain in the asses. Why would I follow you guys? You know that.
Speaker 4: That's why I stayed behind it from away from them, right.
Speaker 2: Well, you know you probably have friends with some of those guys are just kind of not not great guys.
Speaker 4: I apologize, but explain that one. We got to figure it out out.
Speaker 3: See if I can get that more information on that, because I barely know enough about it. But I mean it's a new Olympics. You know, they looked through everything after what we went through the last four years and all the changes and everything. So I think it's a cool thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And with with highs of highs, there comes lows. The USA men's soccer team was eliminated today by.
Speaker 4: Morocco or not even close?
Speaker 2: Yeah close.
Speaker 3: So, but I mean they went out there, they competed.
Speaker 2: Before your daughter got into soccer. Did you know anything about soccer? Yeah, me too, I didn't know it was called that was all sides. What position did you play?
Speaker 4: She played defensive?
Speaker 2: Port? Oh so she was out front?
Speaker 3: Okay. On the Olympics men's basketball side. Germany beat France today, which kept Greece alive for the Olympic knockout round, but you kind of Germany's undefeated, so you're kind of looking at a possible opponent for the USA men's team. They've been doing good, possibly headed for a collision course with the USA team.
Speaker 4: Did they play the women?
Speaker 3: I think they did. I believe they play one early this morning.
Speaker 2: I can find that, and did did the chase playing ger and then play already?
Speaker 3: And simp they played today? I played later today. I know they're one two.
Speaker 4: That's exciting.
Speaker 2: They're one and two or one and one, one and two. They lost again. Oh they're not going to get out of that.
Speaker 3: Round then, okay.
Speaker 4: So it's now in the men's volleyball. Is it two teams one?
Speaker 2: They have to they have two because I saw the second team play yesterday and they won yesterday. I didn't know that either, but I guess to have two teams.
Speaker 4: Because I figured it is because they have two women. We got to do our researches.
Speaker 2: See mixed mixed volleyball.
Speaker 4: Research with that mixed basketball.
Speaker 2: But look at the three on three.
Speaker 4: I had no idea about that.
Speaker 2: That just started and they're not doing Could you do that and they're not doing well?
Speaker 4: I mean, honestly, how could we have such a bad three on three Because be some talents.
Speaker 2: There is, but they're not pro well. Jimmy ferd was was one of the key guys. Good players, guys that you would name. No, but they're not NBA guys or not.
Speaker 4: But the three on three used to be x NBA players.
Speaker 2: Yeah kind of yeah, well at least one of them was. I can't remember the other two. They weren't the final four. They kind of did an exhibition. But guess what. The other places have pretty good. There are other weightlifting or or places that sell equipment that do pretty well. I'll give you that. Are there.
Speaker 4: No, we don't show it town.
Speaker 2: Oh look at you monopoly.
Speaker 4: No, no, it just turned that way. Come see me serious. Series is no longer your business. You put them out of business. No, they made that choice. I had nothing to do with it. It's a guy here, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Go ahead to follow up on the women's basketball. They beat Belgium eighty seven seventy four yesterday, so that was okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how about how about the women's gymnastic start again tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Right, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's free. There's like five different it's called it free something. Oh, freestyle freestyle. I think that's different than the Olympics, the ones that you.
Speaker 2: Just saw because in the Biles kind of winning, but.
Speaker 4: She got an opportunity. They don't get medals for the freestyle.
Speaker 2: That's different. I think that's with the ribbons and stuff. See, this is the homework that we don't do. This is you know, but she's a part of it. Oh, I don't know about that because she just won the all around. She won, I know that, which means that kind of almost almost wrapping up the whole situation because that's a different type of thing. And we're gonna get a call here saying that we don't know what the hell we're talking about. It would stead be right right because I have you bring it up stuff, but don't talk about that. We don't know.
Speaker 4: I just work here.
Speaker 3: But UH, as some NBA news, the Kobe Bryant Staples Center locker UH sold for two point nine million at an auction. What's up the locker from two thousand and three? Four seasons?
Speaker 2: So we have time, we have time to be as I know, you collect stuff, and you have stuff because you're in house and blah blah blah. What's the cool most thing you have that would be it would be worth something.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I got a few things that were something. Uh yeah, well I gotta I have a autograph football with Roger starback on it. I have a helmet with Jim Brown on it. Okay that can I have a basketball with she's the basketball coach at U s l A.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, we wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't we would not have a basketball and an autograph book.
Speaker 2: I have that.
Speaker 4: So those are three things.
Speaker 2: That mean something to you.
Speaker 4: You know what. Actually, the one autograph that I do have that means to me, it's it's it was from Randy White that and actually Randy White was playing for the Cowboys. It just started. I was a Cowboys fan back in the day, and Randy White was just started playing for the cowboy Boys, and and Ricky was on his recruiting ship at Maryland and Randy played that and so Ricky got he had this this shirt of something and he had ran the right autographic for me. And that means something to me because I was a big Cowboy fan.
Speaker 2: And so you it's it's a shirt, a shirt with his autograph, just a sample shirt. Yeah, framed or.
Speaker 4: No, no, I got I had it.
Speaker 2: Like folded up. Okay, okay, cool?
Speaker 4: But yeah that that was about doing and stand up and man, I have other things I got stuff like that. Yeah, that's just collective, is that it?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: You got going In the NFL news Seahawks. You know, Smith got positive news on his injury. They said he should have been missing any more time than the practice. You know Smith, quarterback.
Speaker 4: The quarterback. Okay, he was hurt. He got injured at the end of the year, didn't it. Yeah. How about the Cowboys? Man, it's seas Lamb. Is he gonna? Are you gonna sign on?
Speaker 3: If you did?
Speaker 4: What it matter? You must be a Reskin no Commander.
Speaker 2: Fan, a Cowboy fan. Not really so I used to be. I grew up in New Mexico. The only thing you saw was the Cowboys. I got over that a long time ago. The fact that he was there last weekend and I called them the they're the delusionals because you know, when we were both young men, the last time they played in the Super.
Speaker 4: Bowl exactly right, and you know, and and the only reason I became a cowboy fan because I didn't want to be a redskin everybody.
Speaker 2: Else in my house my dad was askin.
Speaker 4: We're from Virginia, so that was the team back there, and so I wanted to be different, and so I became this big cowboy fan. And you know, and the stallbacks and well it was okay when you were younger was great, Thursty, Oh my god. We had the biggest fights in.
Speaker 2: My house, especially especially when the quarterback replaced who replaced starback that.
Speaker 4: You remember you got in a fight.
Speaker 2: Fight. Eventually he saved him, he saved and then he got in the fight and then he was gone.
Speaker 4: He was yeah, because he's gotten to fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know you were a Dallas Cabs. Moved to Dallas out of college and possibly end up there and worked at the paper. And do you realize that's too big of a market for a kid?
Speaker 4: Now? Did I see something about Jerry selling his team to Crunky the Rams or is that fake news?
Speaker 2: That's gotta be fake.
Speaker 4: That's gotta be that's fake.
Speaker 2: What sites are you on?
Speaker 4: Fake? But I saw something I did. I saw something like that. He the deal is a solid, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, he has nothing else, but this team to live.
Speaker 4: For well first and foremost. He can't sell that team to his own. So now you know, now I know it's fake. You answered your old question. I did. Well, maybe there was there was some hope and belief that new ownership can make the difference in this team.
Speaker 2: There you go, that's a solution.
Speaker 4: This that's where it all started. Ownership. She's been ownership. But we got time. And then when I played for the Indianapolis coach and I played for the family field and my god, you tell my ownership. And honestly, the reason why we didn't win is because.
Speaker 2: Of well he was still in trouble two or three years ago. I kept that's the son. Well that's the same family.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But but but what I'm saying is that did Daddy Jim or say himself. He didn't treat the team like you know, a real business or team.
Speaker 2: That was just plato.
Speaker 4: He was practicing one day, right and he brings his helicopter and laying right on the field while we practice. We've just moved out a way out here, right office and go back to practice and stuff.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: It was awful and and it just goes to show you, man, you got good management.
Speaker 2: Sure he went on the field. No, kind of like we're talking about coaches and players, you have to have the top at the top.
Speaker 4: I guess I answered that question to I guess I'm coming to your side.
Speaker 2: Usually happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's rare.
Speaker 4: No, it's on his side.
Speaker 2: Usually, I don't know what he's got a point?
Speaker 4: Yeah he has one point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all I need. That's all I need.
Speaker 3: That's in some college football news Baylor consulting. Gary Patterson is no longer within his role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that. That just happened today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was hired in February. Yes, they didn't see I but.
Speaker 4: So because he couldn't be the head coach.
Speaker 2: They probably didn't believe in his philosophy.
Speaker 3: But he was with the Texas Texas Longhorns before that. Obviously with the coaching.
Speaker 2: I thought, he's a pretty good coach.
Speaker 4: Maybe you'll go back to Texas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that probably take all the hell.
Speaker 2: Do you know you know dope County? Oh Yeah, yeah, I'm sure he was in your trying to get in your pockets too, trying to give me some money. He's a he's a character.
Speaker 4: No, you know, I wasn't even in his radar. Oh, yes, a different radar you don't.
Speaker 2: Have deep enough, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: But yeah, he's a character. He's in the right place.
Speaker 3: But today is the official first day for Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah's members of the Big Twelve.
Speaker 4: See that's what I said earlier, Stee that for them, yeah, yeah, but the Big Twelve, Yeah for them, right, So they made it seem like it's a big thing for the whole Big Twelve.
Speaker 2: It's all about.
Speaker 4: The teams that's coming into the Big Twelve.
Speaker 3: Correct, pretty much?
Speaker 4: Thank you, he's pretty much.
Speaker 2: So here's what I was gonna Are you kind of pregnant? But you either you are or not.
Speaker 3: What I was gonna say is that all across social media, the social media teams posted like hey, welcome to the Big Twelve, Houston, TCU, all introducing us to their traditions and where they're at. Like we didn't know where TCU, but.
Speaker 4: Those teams was already there. You can't welcome someone who's already here. So it was a welcome Asu, Arizona. It was a welcome from Utah, Colorado. Let me you was not we're bringing you to our community.
Speaker 2: Someone's Instagram.
Speaker 4: It says officially official Arizona a s u Utah and Colorado's in the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: You got to talk to you, who does your social media?
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Big twelve. That's what it says.
Speaker 2: So official.
Speaker 3: But what I found funny about Arizona released this video with this singer in the country band.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, they showed that this morning. It was pretty good.
Speaker 3: There's a line in there where he says space is Wildcat Country, and right away, you see, I'm not sure about that, Houston, I'm not sure about that. So now there's this whole beef between serious beef being like between the schools, like who who's what's space?
Speaker 4: Whose country?
Speaker 3: Or like what whose territory is it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they showed that at the meeting this morning, and you liked it. Minute you said there was some words spoken, that was it, but there was only the only thing we had was music.
Speaker 3: Oh someone, there's a video out there of.
Speaker 4: Oh someone took the video, okay, because what we saw this morning was the video and there was music in the background. There was no words.
Speaker 3: There's a video out there of someone talking about like, hey, welcome, Arizona's in the bagbel Oh last thing I got before we run out of time. Tyler Loop named to the Award to Watch List. Yeah yeah, congratulations rights another player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so we got to go. We're going to talk to the psychologist, maybe get you some help with her.
Speaker 4: That's what you did.
Speaker 6: The Window Depot is more than a Windows store. The Window Depot is a one softwarehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model. Shot the aisles of pre built cabinets in a variety of colors, granite and courts, countertops, sinks, skylights, and hardware. To complete your project, need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen, our bathroom remodel today. Shot the Window Deepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercise equiatement Arizona.
Speaker 7: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to the best you deserve. Arizona Health, the leading edge can exercise equipment On twenty second just bust of Wilmot.
Speaker 8: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie SO for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's show time Cards. At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltee team.
Speaker 9: Dot com that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three or eight seven Arizona BKO Ninez two nine for two equal hausing Opportunity, how to commitments to Lindrix syncredit rates and available loan programs.
Speaker 2: Of subject to change Undubice.
Speaker 10: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty eight West Dractman Street or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 11: Gout bugs, termites, vs or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona has Control. Get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypast dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the exes and oh it's Steve Rivera and Jagen Salvins. This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I have the ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve your Lamont we don't have her on right, okay, so go ahead kill that line and then just try her while we're while we're trying, we're talking, so we're gonna try to get a hold Jenny Kraska. She's the new psychologist at u.
Speaker 4: A Sports you used to help outter this session.
Speaker 2: You're gonna go to your wife and say, you know what, I love you, honey. I just I understand it now I appreciate you more. Oh the uh to dial out? Just just do what you normally do and take the the nine and the one or whatever you gotta do. Have old school. It's old school man, old school stuff.
Speaker 4: So we hope to get wondering.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, no, I would know that stuff, Lily Tomlan. That stuff was old stuff. It's about your time.
Speaker 4: What are you sixty three?
Speaker 2: Sixty two? Okay, so you're not too much older than me?
Speaker 4: Too much? Not too much? I look much younger.
Speaker 2: You don't good for Hello? Is this Jenny?
Speaker 12: Yes? This is Jenny.
Speaker 2: Fantastic, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: We need you, miss Jenny.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have I have a lot of people. Yes, yes, this time you're you have Lamont Hondley year. I don't know if you know who he is former UA football player here his brother.
Speaker 12: Yes we have met. Okay, yeah, okay, God bless you.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I'm sure, yeah, I'm using your I'm sure you're using Yourse called you with these two guys, and I always and I'm Steve Rivera. I love what you do. We talked to your predecessor a lot because I believe I don't know if you believe in psych To me, it's like the most important thing. And Jenny, if I asked you what percentage you would you give me? You have an athlete like Lamont, the importance of headstrong, athletic ability, all that stuff because you need that, you need you need the things between your ears to be stable.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, entirely. I think it plays a massive role for all athletes, especially at the elite level. Right, Like, you have the skills, if you're playing college or you're playing professionally, you have the physical ability, but really what sets everyone apart is the mental side of the game.
Speaker 2: And you played forty years ago. Sorry to say that forty years ago and you're probably not even twenty five, Jenny, But how how do you think it's changed since the time Lamont played Today?
Speaker 12: It's changed a lot the landscape has changed, I believe in a positive way. Even when I was a former college athlete as well, So even from when I was playing, it's way more supported to talk about mental health and mental performance. It's more integrated, respected at these elite levels, and it's more accessible, which is great for athletes. I didn't have it. I doubt you had it either back then. So it's an excellent movement that we've had, and it's becoming more and more a priority.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it was. It was more taboo to talk that way, you mean, to put that out in front. And I was speaking to Steve earlier. I can recall when we had a gentleman with common and and have all of us just lie down on a on a football or the gymnasium floor and close eyes and think good thoughts and do all these different things and whatnot. I was like, why the heck am I doing this? You know? I mean, how is this going to help me tackle somebody?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 4: And so it wasn't to me back in those days. It wasn't mainly, I mean, you don't do this, you know, But I do believe it's very important. It's very important to help your game and any any game you play. I think it's very important to push yourself mentally in that position so you can see the game happen before the game is played.
Speaker 12: Yep, exactly, It's just part of the preparation.
Speaker 2: Does each person like you, the people who come in have different philosophies or it's it's a standard philosophy and you're there to help the kids.
Speaker 12: Great question. Our team, we are a team of four sports psychologists and providers. We have some different training and different education, different areas of expertise, but overall, the philosophy is pretty consistent that we prioritize and see our athletes as humans and individuals first and take care of them and their mental health. And then we also see them as this added layer of a high performer, and how do we also take care of them within the context of being a high performer and an elite athlete.
Speaker 4: Let me question, what time period did this become really relevant in regards to having a person like yourself on staff or needing a person like yourself on safe I mean, what is it that happened that all of a sudden this had to be a muss.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's a good question.
Speaker 12: Yeah, great question. So the MLB, Major League Baseball, I think they were the first professional organization to really prioritize mental health and mental skills. They're the first org to have a sports psychologist or a mental skills clinician mandated to be on staff. So they were a big time movement. And then I think over the past ten years there's been a really big push from professional and collegiate athletes speaking out about their own mental health how it impacts their performance. So seeing that has certainly helped change the landscape. And then unfortunately, just due to the level of acuity and increase and concern for mental health that we're seeing in the college population, the NCAA has put out a mandate essentially to have a mental a designated mental health provider on staff for college students.
Speaker 2: Makes sense to me, especially in baseball. And you know this a month back in the day, and this should happen way before. Remember Steve, Steve, Steve no no second basement for the Dodgers. It was that Steve Gouty was second basement. He had the yips. Couldn't throw the ball the first base. Simple it's throwing the ball for the first base, and you're thinking he just couldn't do it because he's mentally something happened. And then golfers who can't hit the two foot buttons, right, So is that kind of that's obvious stuff, right, But there's more to it. There's more to it than that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's very complex and individualized. And look at Simone Biles. I think she's a perfect example of this right now.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, twists.
Speaker 2: To overcome.
Speaker 4: Okay, you use the word mental health. Obviously that work can go pretty much anywhere. But then yet, now you do you find yourself as far as being in position you in that kids use that against the game In regards to I can say, use mental health as a reason not to do whereas mentally they they're they're really not mentally in a bad situation.
Speaker 12: Yeah, great question. I can speak on what we do here at University of Arizona. So we work with our student athletes and our coaches in a way that we never want to enable an athlete to use mental health as an excuse per se. I think that's a misconception. We encourage the student athletes to take initiative in taking care of themselves, right, and we support them in that, but we also hold them accountable, like what are you doing to better your mental health and better yourself? That's the key point for us. How are we working towards getting through this and improving? And we work together as a medical team, We work with coaches, we work with athletes. We take a very holistic approach to help hold the athlete accountable and move forward. But I do think it's a little bit of a misconception. I'm sure it happens that some people could potentially use it as an use, but overall that's how we work around it. At Arizona, Steve Sachs.
Speaker 2: Was the guy Steve Sacks.
Speaker 4: You googled it.
Speaker 13: The name.
Speaker 2: I did google your name. I don't. You didn't get much, so somebody else, How have you been doing this?
Speaker 12: Yeah, So I've been at University of Arizona for two years. Prior I was at Washington State and Arizona State unfortunately for two years. So I've been actively working for four years in the field, and then prior to that, got my doctorate over a five year span and worked with student athletes and specialized in this along the way. So a good, good chunk of time and I love it, super passionate about it being a former college athlete myself too, it's really meaningful work to me.
Speaker 2: So because you're a former athlete, we're at just what was the sport?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm a former college soccer player. I played a small school in southern California.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so good two questions. The thing that I've observed most, at least I've heard too, having been a sports where depression is a huge deal in college with all the pressures involved in school and life and all that. And one, now you worked pre nil and now they're making money, So what's the difference with that as well? So both depression that's one issue, and now the pre money and now the post money.
Speaker 12: Yeah, great, great question. Our athletes present with a lot of different things. Depression is certainly something that we work with frequently. Anxiety is also a big one, So managing the pressures related to performing in their sport, and that includes NIL.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 12: You know a lot of our athletes are also providing for their families and people back home, so there's family pressure even behind the scenes that's going on. So NIL and the ever changing landscape of what college athletic finances is going to look like. It's just an added layer of stress. There's great benefits that comes with it, but there's also a level of pressure and stress that comes along too. So it's certainly something that we talk about frequently with with our athletes.
Speaker 4: Question Jenny, Yeah, within the within the landscape, male female, do you find yourself, you know, dealing with male or female more or less? And why?
Speaker 12: Good question. At University of Arizona, we're highly utilized and because that is because we're highly embedded and respected and valued within the department. So I've met you actually because I'm the lead provider for our football team. So I'm out at practices, at games, I travel, I'm in the training room. I am very very supported by coaches and staff. I'm just another part of the team, part of the squad. I've sit next to coach on Lee on the plane. So because of that, I'm able to see more of our football guys what is historically an underserved population and there's a ton of stigma that exists for them. I'm able to build those relationships so they feel more comfortable seeing me. So fortunately, at University of Arizona, it's about a fifty to fifty split between female and male athletes that we.
Speaker 2: See so I'm sure in your studies these guys are are are superlative athletes, elite athletes, in fact, most many of them. Is it mirror what we see day to day in normal people's life, like me or other people.
Speaker 4: You're not athlete.
Speaker 12: So they're humans, right, Like, they're just like us. I come from, very like they're people first, and then they have these additional stressors, right, So these athletes have family, stress, relationships, stuff, academics, just regular clinical things like the general population has depression and anxiety, adjustment, trauma, all of that. And then there's the added layer of the pressures and the time demands and everything that comes with being a college athlete. So yes, they're humans just like us, very high achieving humans, and there's all these additional layers that make it even harder.
Speaker 2: So do you have a solution for a co host who doesn't listen? That solution for what for a co host who doesn't listen?
Speaker 4: And you called him human?
Speaker 2: Yeahs, but no, I don't.
Speaker 12: It's all about working with with people, right Like I'm in the field of being a human and also working collaboratively with coaches, athletes, everybody, just support.
Speaker 2: I want to hear a specific thing. But you've been here for four years, You've done this for a while now, great education, Anything surprise you that you've learned along the way.
Speaker 12: That's a good question. I think the deeper I get into working in athletics, I'm able to just see the depth the true death and the demands that these athletes face, and it just continues to kind of build every year. Honestly, it just seems to continue to increase over time. And the resiliency that these athletes have is something that I knew from the jump that it's there. Being an athlete, you know, you learn that resiliency. But with the added pressures, I think just seeing how resilient that these athletes are to manage all the things, the ever changing landscape, I think that has just been really pleasant and empowering surprise to see.
Speaker 2: It's like more money, more money, more problems exactly, you know, exactly, Jenny.
Speaker 4: I think your position is very important, you know, because because this, like you said, this day and time, I mean, all kids, I mean all kids got so many edit pressures that's coming on them, and you know, and and and a lot of these kids are like not just taking care of themselves. They've taken care of family members. That comes additional pressures, you know. So I think the road that you play, you know, is very important. It's just like being on the coaching staff and and one of the coaches that's over there.
Speaker 12: So I applaud you, thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: So what point did you decide you want to do this.
Speaker 12: I'm a little bit rare. I knew pretty early on. I think I was a freshman or sophomore in undergrad. I loved psychology, and then I did a little bit of research on what some options were to get into the field, and I sound sports psych and I was that was. It came over.
Speaker 2: Over time. Don't deal with coach Hunley. Deal with Brothernley and he'll really put you to work.
Speaker 4: You know. But there's more, honey, So it's trust and we can keep you employed.
Speaker 12: How you get I love then they're great people.
Speaker 2: Six brothers, six brothers. You'd make a ton of money.
Speaker 12: Oh wow, okay, so I got some more to beat.
Speaker 4: The only thing I know about you feel is Pablo Dog. I learned that in in psychology one on one.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: The only thing.
Speaker 2: Well, Jenny Dog, funny, fun to have you Jenny but probably use you a lot as we go through the year.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you have my number.
Speaker 2: Thanks a bunch you guys.
Speaker 12: I'm a good one.
Speaker 2: Take Jenny Presca, I agree with you at this time of year party even when you played it so it was not known, but it was still there, right, just didn't show up. Uh much needed.
Speaker 4: As much more than ever. I mean, like because more is given to these kids, right, and they have to be able to you know, be able to manage it and having someone like her to allow them to manage what's going on.
Speaker 2: They have four I'm surprised that they have the university.
Speaker 4: You know what. When she said because she's dealing with the guys more, she feels that that's more need for the well, she ain't say in those terms, but she finds that there's more guys that she's dealing with versus females. Well maybe because it's his numbers and then she deal with on a regular base. But I still, you know, I still would say that, you know, guys need it more than females. I think I think, I mean, yeah, I think a lot of the females they kind of balanced it.
Speaker 2: Let's let's go to the other side and come back and we'll talk about that. Maybe Kevin Lima will give us go. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Lemanhinely with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multigms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with variet equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second and well on Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 10: What's your goal a new career or career advancement. How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PMA dot edu slash someday. Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving challenge and will guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member.
Speaker 2: And you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more.
Speaker 4: Visit Pyramid ATCU dot com slash ten k challenge to get started today Insured NCUA.
Speaker 2: Do you want to be part of a winning team?
Speaker 15: A team Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security guards and event staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding services to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts.
Speaker 4: For over twenty years.
Speaker 2: We want you to join the Action.
Speaker 15: A Team offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry, with flexible schedules that are perfect for those looking for a part.
Speaker 2: Time job or a second income.
Speaker 15: Come be a part of a winning team The A Team. Apply online today at a teamsecurity dot net.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen to fifteen.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I in the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me is Payn Neck, Lamont Leywan is with me for fifteen more minutes. Somebody Gody thinks, give me the hell out of here.
Speaker 4: We know people. Yeah, yeah, you can call it Jenny anytime. Jenny's here to help us.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're to call out the show. What can I get my personal appointment?
Speaker 4: Who need a beer? When you got Genny?
Speaker 2: The cost of cope that you get four beers that well, I don't know beers going up to James. James, you know, I love that stuff. I love that stuff. But you asked a couple of good questions, mister Unley.
Speaker 4: I can pull everyone every now and if you let me know who the guests, I do research.
Speaker 2: We don't do that, so.
Speaker 4: At least I could be you know, we have some understanding what's in.
Speaker 2: Front of you were good to today with with our guy Jake Fisher, you know.
Speaker 4: Is different, you know, and I've been in the locker room together. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we talked about this with women and men. I texted Kevin Leeman maybe to see if he could call us in and give us his observations in terms of men and women. And uh, that's a why do you say men would probably I don't know about that. You had you had a girl who played sports. I had a guy, a son who played in college sports, that I would think that there's a lot of No, I'm not gonna go here. I'm not gonna go here because it's issues issues on teams and issues on women's teams.
Speaker 4: But well, there's different issues on both sides. You're right as far as and some people think, you know, there's more female issues than risk right on. My My thinking is this, I think women are more balanced than men period and mentally in life balance.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by balance?
Speaker 4: As far as they know what they want, they know where they're going, and they can make it happen. We as young guys, we chasing those women first and foremost.
Speaker 2: Which is the problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at least I'll give you.
Speaker 2: I'll give you that.
Speaker 4: I'll give it into a big problem. Yeah, okay, So that's why I'm saying. I think I think young men need that help quicker and faster than the females would want to need it. Young men choose not to want that help or accept that help, so they.
Speaker 2: Think something.
Speaker 4: Get is what whatnot is keeping them want to go that direction. So I think most males you know, don't even consider, you know, trying to get some psychological help in regards to you know, if it's it's it's it's not mental health per se or whatever they might term it nowadays. But most guys seem that that's a bad thing. There's no way I can be that way. And if if I tell my friends, you know, they gonna think I'm a sissy. The female. They are open with themselves. If I got a problem, I'd have.
Speaker 2: To Well, you're speaking from a man's perspective.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking from a man's perspective that has daughters.
Speaker 2: You see, and you have more credibility there than me. But I would like to ask a female about that to see is this accurate? Is it not accurate?
Speaker 4: This is only no, no no.
Speaker 2: But I'll say this because you there's a line here. Maybe you've got somebody here likes solve this issue. Hello, you on the air, eye on the ball.
Speaker 13: Hey, Steve Lamont, this is uh, this is done done?
Speaker 2: How are you just done? He calls him.
Speaker 13: I'm all right. I wanted to talk to Lamont's point about the women and the and the stresses that they have to go through. They just had a situation a few years ago with the women's soccer team that it never came out when when the coach was here until after he got fired at Florida. Yeah, and then he had like he had he had his players on certain diets because he wanted them to look a certain way, and they had to lose weight, and there was girls that were quitting the team, and and and transferring out out and things like that, and that never came out when he was here.
Speaker 2: Well wait wait, you know this because it happened at Florida, right.
Speaker 4: But it didn't came out in regards did he come out here where they.
Speaker 13: Did not come out here? Well after after he was I mean I would I would have remembered hearing that those stories.
Speaker 2: So that's my point. Did you it never came out here? You're just assuming that happened here?
Speaker 13: No, because after after the Florida thing, there was some there was there was girls that had played at Arizona under him, and they said, yeah, we had we had to follow that same thing. And the stories didn't come out here until after he was the guy was fired at Florida for that stuff, right right, And so I think I think that all these kids and then here we go again, Steve. Now they're kids again, right right now, they're kids. They're not don't just because the nil but these young people, I mean, they're away from home, they're having to deal with all this stuff on their own. They don't have you know, they don't have that support, or maybe sometimes they don't think they don't have that support.
Speaker 4: And they have to listen to their coaches and maybe because that's that's the authority that's in front of them. And especially I mean, you know, in this well I can speak of it because my daughter was on that team. My daughter was actually uh her freshman year. She was on the team under Tony. Tony was her first coach and okay, and my daughter was there for one semester, one semester. And when I first introduced myself to Tony, I said, Tony, first and foremost, this is what you're gonna have. You're gonna have a father that does not intrude in your sport. But I'm gonna take and give you my daughter's hand, and you take care of my baby. That's all I ask, you, know you. And and I remember Tony calling me at the end of the season and letting me know that, well, I don't think your daughter is just this and this and good enough to play on this team. And there was some things that was spoken. Now that I know think about it, it is in the lines of what happened in Florida, not directly to my baby, but in a way he was trying to push my daughter off the team, My daughter and a few other young ladies off the team because he had some other kids that he wanted to bring in to fill in that scholarship spot. And so I said, well, Tony, first and foremost, I don't raise a baby. I hadn't raise a kid as a quitter. So I'm gonna have a talk to my baby and see what's going on. Because you're not talking to the average parent. You're talking about trying to know the system here. So I will respect you if you're telling me you need the money. And my daughter is one of these people that's going to be pushed out. And so my daughter and I think it was two or three other girls that was on that team knew that they wasn't wanted. So my daughter and these other young ladies, they say, we quit, and that's what he was doing. He was leading them up to quit. So they end up quitting. And and at that point of time, I mean, positive things did happen for my baby because she went to Pima and became college football it's a junior college All American, and got a full scholarship at Utah and finish her career there. But those things did take place and do take place, and you know, like you say, you're dealing with young girls or young kids in general, people in general, who has to deal with that? And you got a leader who's supposed to be the coach who's doing things like that. And the kids, some kids didn't have what have what my daughter had, You met my support and so now you got these kids with their back against the wall. And and that's where miss Jenny comes in place, right, you know, that's the beauty of having a person like her on that staff, so these kids can get their mentor right.
Speaker 2: So, so, Donnie, what was your point You're calling it the women's have more issues.
Speaker 13: Or I was just I was just saying it's it probably likely is, like the guest said, is pretty pretty down the middle. I do think that that girls are more strong willed earlier than boys. And I do think that if if they do have a support system with them and everything, I think that they have the better tools to thrive easier. I agree with I agree with Lamont on that one for sure.
Speaker 2: Stick on the lines, even though I want another call. But Lamont, Okay, So we've talked about this a few times. The kids are getting money, not a little money, They're getting a lot of money. Are they Are they fair game? Now to be criticized by people like the media. Me need the media.
Speaker 4: I got it all. No, no, they don't make a difference, man, just because these kids get what they get I mean professional, but they're still kids, they're still young kids, and they people, and they are performers. So you make that choice to go spend a dollar to watch him play. So why would you sit there and criticize somebody because you made that choice to spend the dollar. If you was good enough, you'll but be on the field playing too. So their kids, I mean when it comes to criticizing, I mean that's to me. I hate that. I can't. I mean I'm in the stands and I heard people talk about, oh I can do that. Why you do that? You do well? If you can do it, you'll be out there playing. You can't do it. They need that support, they need the cheering so it can turn over and become a win and all.
Speaker 2: The loss your thoughts and your thoughts too quick.
Speaker 13: I agree with that to the point of until they start playing games like the price socks deal. When he tweeted out his jersey, his Arizona jersey for sale and stuff right, and he knew he was going to transfer out when you if you do shady stuff, then your fair game. That's what I say. But I agree, I agree with you, Lama, And I'd like to add that if you're a kid playing D one sports, in my opinion, you're an lead athlete because not everybody can play at D one, absolutely and and and the same goes for D two because you know, just just think of how many high schools are there in the country and how many colleges are there for these kids to continue.
Speaker 4: But just because just because you're an lead athlete, that doesn't make you a target, a target for anybody. You know, in my opinion, that just doesn't make your time because you're on a stage and you're performing, and you're performing because you know, for the fans.
Speaker 2: I hear you, and I kind of I agree with you. I don't know, I don't know. They're making a ton of money. They're professionals kind of now without being professionals.
Speaker 4: So what they wasn't professional last week when they were not making the money? Did you yell?
Speaker 2: And I'm talking about more media, how they can say this guy didn't perform up to his capability.
Speaker 4: To his dollars dollars capability is still there. Okay, so up to the dollar amount he's getting paid.
Speaker 2: Correct, So then we're going.
Speaker 4: To measure a guy's snaps. They saw how much money he is probably probably Well.
Speaker 5: The thing is to those TeVeS is the media has always done that. Yes, yes, you know, because who's like they say, who's the most popular kid on the you know, who's the most popular player on the football team? Is the second second string quarterbacks?
Speaker 13: If the first stream guy isn't getting it done, let's get the other guy in. Yeah, yeah, well you know, so that's that has always happened. I just don't want I just don't want to see a student athlete, you know, acting up and thinking they're above things and then seeking that they're above any type of criticism that they get because like it or not, they're professionals. If they're making money, they're professionals.
Speaker 4: But I think the attitude is within the person if he has dollars on, so if that person gonna be an ugly person, he or she gonna be an ugly person, regardless.
Speaker 2: You're talking about the criticizer.
Speaker 4: No, no, no player becoming the player the player him or her. Okay, they may be, it's not based on.
Speaker 13: You look at the character of the guys that stuck it out to play with to stay wildcats, and to stay together for this next season, right you think of that? Those are high character guys.
Speaker 4: Ye, perfect example right there.
Speaker 13: Okay, they're going, Hey, I love my guys. I love playing with my guys.
Speaker 2: Okay done.
Speaker 13: You know, why are we gonna mess this up? Let's keep dancing.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Donny, thanks for the call.
Speaker 13: Thanks guys, good call.
Speaker 2: Good call. Kevin's probably not gonna call, but fifty to fifty I'll give you that because it's the kind of the smart answer women to men issues. And you have women, so so you did you know soccer was kind of the way they were. They were good under Tony. He didn't get that job because they were bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well obviously, mean, you know, he did do some good things here in regards to points and loss and and and and that's where Florida came to get it. And then obviously Florida knew what they got eventually. Yeah, you know, I mean, I didn't know how deep it was, honestly, of off that end of it as far as you know, because that wasn't directed to my kid, you know, at least my daughter never said that, but I knew some things. Some things was going on as far as the character him as a coach, especially the conversation him and I had.
Speaker 2: With my daughter after the season after that.
Speaker 4: First did she.
Speaker 2: Played much her first year?
Speaker 4: She didn't play much first and and and his big thing was that he don't think she's big enough, strong enough. She has I mean, she's one of the smartest kids on the team. And so and my my comeback is this, it's your job to coach. Mark your job to get a stronger you know, in the weight room, that's your job. Coach up, coach, coaches.
Speaker 2: Better, coaches better. Another point of us, you got to I got to friend for you on a good note. Yeah, I'm not. I'm not. I'm leaving right there right. Thank you for joining me today.
Speaker 4: We're not done.
Speaker 2: I always love having you in. You know that. You know I love you. You know.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you for good stuff. Good Thanks for the calls and and and the conversations for the people. Jenny was great, so is Jake. Uh talk to you guys later. Thank you