Speaker 1: Okay, no theme song today, no breaking news that.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say.
Speaker 3: But that's the wrong. It's the wrong to Troy World, Fox. I want to stay on Fox.
Speaker 1: Starting out breaking news with some transfer portal news Arizona. Former Arizona women's basketball guard Lawrence Swan has committed to Rutgers.
Speaker 2: They're going everywhere?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: They duck East? Are they are? They lost a lot? They had one player left on the rocks around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not I'll try to find it if I can. Just a question, but she will be playing for Rutgers next season. For Arizona football, they got a commitment on I believe Saturday from a three star athlete from Washington, Henry Gables. I'm not sure if I'm saying that right Gable tight end. It says athlete. But uh, they got a commitment. Okay, let me. Do you have anything on basketball? I don't think you have this.
Speaker 3: So I just saw today this morning Andre Iguodala's son, Andre the third or second maybe the third?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Did you see him play? I have not seen him play, So do you know him about it?
Speaker 2: I do not? Okay, So the reason I asked the.
Speaker 3: Recruiting guy, he's going to Baylor, right, every who didn't look at him, he's only a three star.
Speaker 2: He's a three star, so then he slightly looked at him. You know, you're recruiting at a certain level, and yeah, I know Bryce James is a three star recruit, but it's also Lebron James Son and I all sure stuff like that, of course, of course. But you know, I think when you're looking at the roster for years to come, got to pick and choose your spots. And sure enough, sure we didn't.
Speaker 3: I hadn't. I hadn't known of Andre Jr. Ever until I saw this morning that he was going to Baylor. So obviously must be pretty good if he's going to Baylor.
Speaker 2: You know, Scott Drew is a very good coach. Works he's got nothing, he's got nothing exactly, there's no one there, right, yeah, so but he's one of those coaches that gets the most out of, you know, nothing.
Speaker 3: So they've had a more recent title, yeah you know, five years right, five years ago.
Speaker 2: Compared to twenty something years ago. Yeah, you know what I'm doing? I get it. Something that rage has brought up to me. Uh.
Speaker 1: Becky Burke on Instagram posted something about Montea do saying she's back. Okay, so the one that's the only one that stayed, yeah, will be back for.
Speaker 2: She's did a pretty good job.
Speaker 3: I mean, anybody who thought she wouldn't probably wasn't paying attention. But anybody who comes into this position, you're still at Arizona, it's a Division one school that has a history, uh even a recent history. If you can find that magic, you'll you'll find a way to come back.
Speaker 2: And you know what you started at ground zero, You built up the roster. Is the expectations to get to the tournament, probably not this year, but you got to start somewhere. And she's doing a good job of building a foundation, right.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of the fan base is going to eventually come support her. You know, they're going to miss Ada in whatever capacity, but eventually find that coach Burke is going to be pretty good.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Everyone was cautious about Ida. They eventually built around her. You ever, do you ever know you ever lose an X just say sure, uh and you hate him, you hate him, and then eventually you get over it.
Speaker 3: Yep, you see Okay, hey, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, just eventually you get over it and you just move on because well you have to write.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, I'm keep moving forward.
Speaker 1: For Arizona baseball, Mason White was named the Big twelve Colt Player of the Week.
Speaker 2: You guys have covered baseball, Yeah, in an absolute bomb this weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The dude's stud local stud, like a like a stud stud. Yeah. I mean that's he's going to be in the MLB dropped. Yeah, of course, very talented player. I don't know, you know, will he make the lead? Who knows? I mean you were talking about leg On all the ends and out there, but uh, highly talented kid that's done well. You know.
Speaker 1: This comes after their series win in Provo BYU. They lost Thursday five to twelve. Friday they won five to four and Saturday seven to five, taking the series in provol for softball. If I can find it, I had it on here. They lost their series to Texas Tech Senior weekend one to two. They won the Thursday initial matchup two to one, got blown out Friday one ten to one in five innings, and then Saturday lost five to two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you didn't have a chance to get out there, right, We're still we were still at the spring spring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did the million dollar baby win on Saturday? Yep? Yeah, bitch, well yeah, yeah, you know that was kind of like the where are you in terms of as the team right now?
Speaker 3: They're thirteen rankings, you know, mean whatever they want to want you to mean, but they were thirteen and fourteen, right, thirteen to fourteen if you have a study, and that's still the name of the game in softball.
Speaker 2: Pitching is everything. And you saw, you know, they were able to hang around that first game and Devin did a great job. But when you're playing in postseason softball, when you get to the super Regionals Oklahoma, you got to do it every day. And you know, she broke down in the sixth Maybe she should have been pulled out after the fifth ending, But I think it's a good learning pool for Arizona to look at that series and see what went wrong and what went right and moving to the Big twelve tournament. Now, you can't slip up from here to the Big twelve tournament if you want to host the regional coming up this postseason? Sure does it seem you got three weeks? How much? How any week stept for me? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I got like two, maybe two and a half. Really does it seem how much? How much time do we have here about tis and you have a lot of fill at all. So I was just gonna say, we'll talk about it and did it feel quickly this year? And did it feel quickly the.
Speaker 2: Last four years? We'll get to that later. No to both. Oh yeah, that's right, you said it took forever.
Speaker 1: Coming up next for baseball, they got a game Wednesday against UT Arlington six o'clock. For softball, they have New Mexico State on Tuesdays at three and five o'clock. Okay, And of course, the men's tennis team won the Big Twelve Tournament championship. It's fantastic four to one against UCFS. These guys, I still say. I'll say this with respect to all the coaches on campus. Coach Shield is fantastic. I think he might be the best coach on campus. All he does is win, well, he doesn't win, and it's tennis, Come on tennis here.
Speaker 3: He just continues and for a while now not just you know, one on, one off, two off.
Speaker 1: I had a chance to cover them back in January and I asked a couple of players, but him, in particularly what his expectations were, you know, not a lot of people know Arizona tennis, and straight up he said, we want to win national championships, and I think this is a programming team that can go and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's very strange because you asked, you ask everybody what do they want to do within a national championship?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: And then as a as a questioner, you're thinking yeah, right, in your head, you're thinking yeah, right, like that's ever gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly if I were to try to like explain it to someone and say, oh, yeah, Arizona's men's tennis head coach wants to win a national championship, their first offer of christ be like Arizona has a tennis team.
Speaker 2: But there there definitely is a difference because with him, you can tell there's that Mike Andrea when they said we want to win. Yeah, yeah, what do you mean the way the way he is not only the way they are, but the way they care themselves. Yeah, you can tell when when a coach says that and he means it, and when a coach says it and he well, hopefully we'll win, Like there's.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, And I've said this especially doing what I've done for the last number of years. Coaching matters, and you can you can tell maybe one or two or five conversations with some whose coach knows if he's gonna be that he or she is going to be that person to be that good coach, right, because you need to have some toughness or some pain in the ass to be a good coach. Usually those coaches are the good coaches. And you know with it the reason obviously you can't be you know whatever, those old school coaches, but you have to be a pain in the ass to get the guys to be other women to be motivated to play for you.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean look at just as of recently with Alabama with Nick saban h.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, no, he's good for a reason. He's good for a reason, and they respect the hell of you know. The funny thing about is Sean. I thought Sean was too much to the to the outside, to the to the being a tough coach. There wasn't that that relaxation, No, no, no part of it. And Tommy might be too far to the other side. We won't know, but we don't see him behind the scenes, right, we don't see him. I think right in the middle between those two.
Speaker 2: This is the perfect perfect and we kind of saw Tommy going more towards that middle. Yes this season.
Speaker 3: You know what too, it might be that he's feeling more comfortable doing that. Yeah, because it's the only four years into being a head coach, right, and for all his career he was an assistant coach. And guess what assistant coaches do there? You have the good cop and the bad coup. Assistant coaches are usually the good cop. Don't worry, he doesn't mean that when he says that to you. Now he's gott to flip the role and kind of be the bad cop after being the bad the good cup for.
Speaker 2: So many years, and you kind of saw. I'm gonna give him credit and people are gonna hate me for doing that, but you saw what Jed. You saw Jed was that. Yeah, I'm not saying championship level of it, but to do what he did at Arizona, Yeah, and you saw the path that doesn't happen by accident.
Speaker 3: I mean what he did and he must have a something about him that we don't see Fiery or them wanting to play for him because they respect.
Speaker 2: The hell out of him. There's a drive that people didn't see it, and then that brings to you to well, Brennan, does Brennan have that?
Speaker 3: And that's it's right. No, you got he only had one bullet last year. I mean he got his bullet and it was not good enough. Now he's gonna get a second bullet for a second year. Either it's gonna have to be good enough or maybe not. You know what I'm saying. You know, Jed had three, Jed had three and three. He pulled it off.
Speaker 2: But in fairness of Jed, he started from literally gals yeah yeah, yeah, to where he built it. Good, good situation for Brennan. But also, I don't want to say an unfair hand, but a difficult hand in terms of the expectations were.
Speaker 3: Different, yes, yes, and no question expectations. And there's a thing where the kids, the players have to respect you. And then you know him, I mean, he's committing in a situation where you know, the substitute teacher or the father, the stepfather, we don't you know, we don't like this guy or whatever. I'm not saying that's the case, but you know, i'll throw that out there.
Speaker 2: Or or even, Hey, you know what we won last year. Let's just do what we do. Yeah, we know we're gonna win. Sure, who's saying this the kids? Yeah, And all of a sudden, Oh, you can't get on there. We're getting our butts. You can't tell me what to do. I've been here before. Well, win some games and shout out again. We're not saying that happened last year.
Speaker 3: But that's a theory.
Speaker 2: It's results matter. Okay.
Speaker 1: The NHL playoffs have started. There's a couple of games over the weekend. The Jets beat the Blues. Have my beat the Stars, the Hurricanes beat the Devils, Maple Leaves beat the Senators, and the Golden Knights of Vegas.
Speaker 2: Beat the Wild Hockey. Yep, I was joking, what what what's hockey? Hockey? Hockey hockey?
Speaker 3: Well, you talk about you're gonna bury the lead with my Warriors.
Speaker 2: Uh kind of. I was trying to say that for the end, Okay, Oh, you have a nice finale. He got safe the uh.
Speaker 1: The golden child of college basketball last year, Cooper Flag confirms he is entering the NBA Draft.
Speaker 3: Also breaking news, the sky is blue. It's a good transition, is it? Duke Blue.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping to wake up to some Arizona Blue soon eventually. Yeah, but yes, it will be Duke Blue for a little bit. Uh, maybe even Florida Blue. Who knows he was Florida Blue? Right, Yeah, it's a great horse.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you off the You remind me of great horse that won this weekend in Gulf Stream.
Speaker 2: I think it was somewhere great name. NBA playoffs also started.
Speaker 1: For the most part, some blowout games, but you had some close games like the Nuggets and the Clippers.
Speaker 2: They went to overtime.
Speaker 1: That was a great game, and I think the Clippers had a fifteen point lead they blew that. So it was in Denver two the Lakers got blown out by the Timberwolves. I guess that would be somewhat of an upset over over the weekend because it was in La too, right, because it's in LA. They're the three seed. But Minnesota, I think is that good? Okay, I don't know about you. I think they're very good, but they're also very young. Well that's like Houston. And then of course the Warriors upsetting, if you want to call it an upset. The Rockets ninety five eighty five.
Speaker 3: That was a good game. Steph went off again and it was really good. They got their butt kicked on and offensive rebounds, so it was like, what the hell grab a rebound?
Speaker 2: But who knows?
Speaker 3: They could go on a run or they could get beaten seven games here on this series and.
Speaker 2: They can go Rocks can go four straight. You never know. That's my favorite part about the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Dream onunds. Give us the crap out of it. He's too inconsistent. Don't shoot it, don't shoot. I think he scares the crap out of everybody. Everybody want his teammates, nobody when he put his shoots from the three point line or whatever I'm thinking, don't don't give it the ball, the staff, everybody else clear out.
Speaker 2: Well, remember that's like the golden era of Draymond when they first won that title. He was able to hit two or three two three is a game and then distributeable. He isn't that offensive guy anymore. No, No, he's pretty good screen play defense.
Speaker 3: Well, the guy that I think is amazing is is Eric Gordon, who you didn't want him to shoot here and now he did three shot forty from the three point line. Can he has free throws. Now, how good has he gotten over the last ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not surprised. I mean when you look at somebody that gifted athletically, kind of kind of like Andrea Goodala. Andre wasn't a big time shooter at Arizona. I'm not saying he was in the NBA, but he developed his shot in the NBA and got better and better each year.
Speaker 3: Did the Pacers win their first row or okay, okay, so the Matherin and TJ are still rolling yep.
Speaker 1: And then last thing I got before we have to go the NBA on some of their award finalists. You got the MVP, have Giannis, Shay, gilig Is, Alexander and Jokich. For Rookie of the Year, you have Stefan Cassel from the Spurs, so here Rushier from the Hawks, Jalen Wells from the Grizzlies. And then, uh, that last big one would be the Coach of the Year. You have the Calvs coach, Pistons coach, and the Rockets coach.
Speaker 2: Not Night, not mine, Malone. No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 3: Nope, okay, okay, everything else, okay, Yeah, we're good. What's gonna ask you? Oh, that's it. I think we'll talk about year with all right. Thanks now.
Speaker 5: Your chance to win one thousand dollars in bonus bots just after this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 2: Grand Grand, That's grand.
Speaker 5: Enter it now Box Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 6: Are you ready ready to discover your so your wildside, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 6: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki trye.
Speaker 7: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 7: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The window depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Deroti Rocking Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorontle Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kip, we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 8: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class, fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 9: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven arizon A b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change the NUNT notice.
Speaker 10: Did you know?
Speaker 11: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games from rare.
Speaker 2: Fines to the latest releases. Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 11: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 8: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 10: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Ess can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 12: Why is mining so important it's the foundation of everything, that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet developed, thrown, and modernized based solely on the interals in process. That's whineline name is so inortant.
Speaker 2: Gonybm dot com.
Speaker 7: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The Window Depot is.
Speaker 2: Here to help.
Speaker 7: At the Window Depot, we're your one stop warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 13: You'll find it.
Speaker 7: All here at the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 5: Streamy live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to its About General Fox Sports fourteen fifty ot rovera E's Troy hutch A sin from Goies Cats and we got job one at the controls here now on the phone, we have Chrissy Pareham.
Speaker 2: Pareham, how are you?
Speaker 3: Former Olympian gold medal winner and you have a all time star swimmer?
Speaker 2: How are you? Chrissy?
Speaker 13: And friend of Seve rivera friend.
Speaker 3: Of mine, longtime one of my crazy friends.
Speaker 2: Uh are you in? You in town now? Right?
Speaker 4: I'm going to be in town tomorrow tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay, what are you making your way out here for?
Speaker 13: Well? I something really near and dear to my heart.
Speaker 14: I work with a couple other volunteers and we did these things called Living Donor Awareness games and it started with a guy in Michigan and he has done them mainly with MLD teams and so we've kind of started reaching out and he did one at wake Forest and we've done We're going to do some minor league teams. We're going to do some college ball this summer.
Speaker 13: And I had mentioned I said, you.
Speaker 14: Know, we like I really feel like we should go to a softball game, and they're like, well, who are you thinking of it? I was like, like, one of the best programs ever in the history of softball. University of Arizona. So I'm coming to town to do a living donor awareness game to promote awareness for becoming a living donor.
Speaker 4: Because I donate my kidney and I want to see other people.
Speaker 13: Do it too.
Speaker 3: Wow. Okay, so explain, Explain what will happen one and then we'll go into your situation.
Speaker 14: Okay, So what we're going to do tomorrow is we're going to have some information on the.
Speaker 13: On the big board.
Speaker 14: We're going to have some information to hand out from Banner University.
Speaker 13: We're going to be able to honor.
Speaker 14: Some other donors and recipients and medical personnel before a couple of them before each game. We're gonna so one of the things that we really try to do is honor those that are in the field, educate those that are interested into learning more about living donorship, even if they're.
Speaker 13: Not going to become one, you know, becoming an ally.
Speaker 14: And talking about it and then possibly inspiring.
Speaker 13: Someone to become a living donor. So that's my goal tomorrow.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Cool, that's cool. When you approached Arizona with the idea to do this, Uh, just how how helpful were they and how did it all come about? To do it at Hillenbrand.
Speaker 13: So I called the big boss.
Speaker 14: I called Mike Andrea and I said, right, So Tots Andrea has known me since I was eighteen, bless his heart. We still have a lot of you know, our.
Speaker 13: Past still cross a lot.
Speaker 14: I've been Arizona athlete and then I was a really active alumni and I'm I'm a big cheerleader. I go I've gone three times since the softball team has gone to the World Series, and so our paths have discontinued to cross. And I reached out to him and I was like, Hey, what do you think of this? And he's like, hey, we're getting to the end of the season.
Speaker 13: Let me find out. And the next day I got a phone call.
Speaker 14: They're like, hey, can you be here on you know, next Tuesday. So the UVA has been really responsive. I have loved working with the team there. One of the interns is a diver, so that's awesome.
Speaker 13: And I'm just I'm.
Speaker 14: Really looking forward to getting back to Rita. I love visiting, I love going to the games. I love to tanning the ladies on and you know, now I get to kind of maybe inspire them years from now to be a living donor.
Speaker 2: Two what time does the game start?
Speaker 4: Six?
Speaker 13: I'm a doubleheader. The first game is at three and then the second game is at five.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, Cool, So then you'll have a couple of bites at this. Will it be like a two game situation where you inform all the people there?
Speaker 14: Yeah, so the first game, I have been warming up my arm, Steve, I'm gonna do first pitch. I don't know, so I'm feeling I'm like channeling you know, Debbie Day old school. You've a ladies.
Speaker 13: Yes, we are besties.
Speaker 3: We were.
Speaker 14: We were very very close in college. I mean we're still friends now, but we're very very close in college. And so I'm gonna do that, and they'll talk a little bit about my story. I donated my kidney too, another Olympic swimmer's dad, so they'll.
Speaker 13: Go over that a little bit.
Speaker 14: But then we're gonna have, like I said, we're gonna have other donors. A friend of mine and two sons who donated to our dad. Another donor pair a daughter and a dad. We're gonna have some medical people there and from Banner representing Banner, and we're gonna be available.
Speaker 4: To answer questions.
Speaker 3: Tell me and I don't know why I don't remember this, how many years to go this happened? And how did it happen? When you were a match?
Speaker 14: So in January of twenty two, I saw that Missy's mom had posted on Facebook that her husband, Dick Franklin, was looking for a kidney, and I just was really moved to see if I could be a match. And five months later or six months later, I guess I was a match. And I mean, I'm the kind of person like I go to the dentist because I'm a grown up.
Speaker 13: I hate it. I you know, go to my doctor's appointments because I want to be a.
Speaker 14: Good grown up and I want to live and like move my body.
Speaker 13: And be responsible with it.
Speaker 14: But like I actually signed up to do a surgery, and when I was being rolled out to go start the surgery, my heart rate like was at fifty two. I just it was I felt like it was meant to be. I felt like I was supposed to like not no Missy before that, and then give Dick a kidney. And we bonded because of our swim community and I got to be the one that was there for him. So it's awesome.
Speaker 13: I love it.
Speaker 2: Who was the person again, who is the swimmer.
Speaker 13: Missy Franklin. Okay, yeah, she was pretty good. She won like five gold.
Speaker 4: Medals, a couple world records she did.
Speaker 14: Okay, No, she's much younger. Yeah, she's much younger than me. So that community, that community expands, Yes, yes, it's.
Speaker 13: Very much like I think.
Speaker 14: You know, we live in San Antonio and Sean and I have discussed volunteering together to promote kidney donation.
Speaker 13: You know, the Wildcat family, I think is feels really small.
Speaker 14: My husband's retired Air Force. That community feels really small.
Speaker 13: And the swimming.
Speaker 4: Community, you know, there's a lot of my you.
Speaker 14: Know, I would say probably nine some of my best friends are because of either swimming at the U of.
Speaker 13: A and we all were Wildcats, or.
Speaker 14: You know, being on a couple of national teams and Olympic team.
Speaker 13: Like, there is something about.
Speaker 14: That community where you know, friends of friends know each other and it makes the world really small and really lovely.
Speaker 2: Right right? Does it seem so long ago? I remember when you came back.
Speaker 3: So I was here in eighty seven, got here in eighty seven, you were here doing your thing, does it?
Speaker 8: See?
Speaker 3: And then when you went to Olympics and you came back. I remember the interview when you first came back. We did it at the Double Tree. I think it was so many years ago. Yeah, yeah, does it seem that long ago or how ow is it?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 13: So every four years the memories come flooding back and it feels like it wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 14: But I like to do CrossFit, and every day I go to the gym and I get my rear ended handed to me and I'm reminded that I am not twenty one anymore. So, so sometimes it feels like it's really close, and like especially in an Olympic year, like the memories are very vivid, and my time at the UVA is very clear to me and the people that were in the athletic department at that time, Like I know, said Dempsey just passed away, and I'm honest, thride list to me of a people and we all remember him.
Speaker 13: So like sometimes it sometimes it feels like it wasn't that long ago. Yet.
Speaker 14: I don't want to shock you because I know you're still young in your forties, but I'm now in my fifties.
Speaker 3: Your Yeah, try to be nice, to be yeah, I dare you, all right, exactly tell you this. I just got a text from one of my sponsors. He says, have them join going to a meeting, but give me her information because I want to help. So I'm going to have to pass.
Speaker 14: Oh my god, that's awesome. Yes, this is what we want to do. If you talk about it, it's I am like the field of dreams for living donation, like I did. I donated, and I don't. I think it took me about a year to really.
Speaker 13: Understand the need and kind of the butterfly.
Speaker 14: Effect that happened because of it. After I donated, I had.
Speaker 13: Two friends also donate. And I think.
Speaker 14: The more that you talk about it, the more you understand. Like, you know, seventeen people die every day that you could be giving a kidney to.
Speaker 13: There's over ninety thousand people.
Speaker 14: On the kidney donation waiting list, and this is a problem that we could solve. You know now, you know we're not waiting to understand how we can do living donations. We can solve the problem now. And I would love to have more allies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I bet did you? I know you're kind of crazy. I'll say that with all the terms of endearment, you could take it good because you're you're out there. We've been you know, we know each other for a long time. Did you did you kind of say yeah, I'll do it, or did you kind of like I'm not sure.
Speaker 14: At the beginning, I wanted to remain anonymous.
Speaker 2: I just did.
Speaker 4: I felt a very disingen if I was going to like toot my horn.
Speaker 14: Now I've already done it. I don't feel like I'm tooting my horn. I feel like I'm reminding other people that there is another way that you can help your neighbor. And so I feel strongly about And also it's not for everybody.
Speaker 13: So for example, like you know, if you have kidney.
Speaker 4: Stones a lot, you're not going to be.
Speaker 13: A good candidate for being a donor. That's okay, because you could still.
Speaker 14: Talk about it or be an ally and understand that for example, writing your name on your license doesn't make you a living donor, and only two percent of those.
Speaker 4: Organs get used, you know, So like.
Speaker 13: Becoming an ally is the best.
Speaker 14: And if it ends up being something where someone's inspired to also become a donor or, it helps them.
Speaker 13: You know, It's it's very hard, and I definitely am one of these people. I hate asking for help, Like there are.
Speaker 4: People out there that need a kidney right.
Speaker 13: Now that don't want to ask.
Speaker 4: You know, it feels weak, and I think we should talk about it when we shouldn't tell people.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you up.
Speaker 3: So it's been a few years removed since you were here, and I kind of already went here. But what are your thoughts on the nil because you were one of those great ones in Arizona in the swimming world, has been one of them, had a lot of the great ones. What do you think about it now? How would you have crushed it? And what did you if you? I think maybe you've said this on the air with me before. How much did you get for that the medals that you want? Probably pittance now yeah, so yeah, so.
Speaker 14: In nineteen ninety two, you did not receive money for your medals.
Speaker 13: That didn't start until nineteen ninety six. But I did sign some really.
Speaker 14: Good contracts Bert Kinarc yeah, you know, but very well known lawyer in town. He was my attorney, and so I I mean, I didn't walk away with nothing, and I was really happy with kind of the little nesta that I'd created for myself. I do feel like at the time if they if we had had NIL, it would have been really fun and exciting to do that.
Speaker 4: Because I definitely felt like a Tucson.
Speaker 14: Girl and an Arizona girl and it would have been really fun to kind of explore that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the.
Speaker 13: Stuff that's available now for athletes, like.
Speaker 14: I don't begrudge them forgetting what they want, even though sometimes it does make me cringe a little bit when I hear about like all the pants for portal or you know, like the quarterback from Tennessee kind of holding out for more or whatever. Like I just I struggle with that a little bit because I feel like.
Speaker 13: A real loyal Wildcat.
Speaker 4: And you know, I would I would encourage that for any.
Speaker 13: College athlete to stick it out in a place and.
Speaker 14: You know, make roots and be a part of the program and cheer for other sports and get to know the other athletes and stuff like that. But the NIL opportunities now, like this is exactly you know you want growth in sport. Do I think that they're doing it the right way all the time? Probably not, But I'm not an expert at this.
Speaker 13: But like when my mom.
Speaker 14: Was a college athlete, they didn't even like she wore the same uniform for basketball and volleyball, you know.
Speaker 4: And they didn't even have scholarships. So when I went to school and.
Speaker 13: I got a full ride, like this is the growth of sports in America and it's a business.
Speaker 14: And so yeah, I mean, would I do I wish that I would have had an opportunity like that. Yeah, that just wasn't happening at the time. But I definitely don't begrudge the athletes for you know, understanding that they're in.
Speaker 4: A profession and you know, it's a business, right, I don't know.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's it's hard, It's it's a delicate dance. I'm sure, sure, no, no question.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, enjoy tomorrow, give the word, give the word from Chrissy tomorrow.
Speaker 14: You're the best. I want to see buddy at that softball game. Want to cheer the Cats because that's awesome. It's their last home fan. But any information that anybody wants to find out about the becoming a living donor, there's a plethora of websites out there, and I would encourage anybody that has any questions to go do it. And lastly, Steve, thank you for all like always being a friend, always helping you know, Tucson athletes. I know you love the Wildcats more than just about anybody, So thank you for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Dollar Baby, Darling Baby, take care.
Speaker 14: Appreciate you all right, friend, we'll talculated.
Speaker 3: I'll pass that information on the from the sponsor too.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go. Let's go take a break here.
Speaker 3: And digest what she just said about me, because you know how big of a Wildcat fan I am. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Nut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health?
Speaker 13: Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 15: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 8: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 3: Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmond Markets All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Caampble or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 1: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 15: Of course, to feel better and look it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead manage an exercise requotment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 16: Craving Tucson's best burger, The Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth Anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are.
Speaker 17: Waiting at Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is More. Let's pies need more money in your pocket. Has means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Fairmit Federal Credit Union, where less is More federally insured and by NCUA, an Equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 5: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio while this is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to I'm Vaguero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, You're Troy Hutchison, your one, and we got right here. So I just got to text for one of another listener, Christy just busted you. So you are a closet great Wildcap fan. I think we all knew it. Yeah, eat down inside. All that other stuff is just BS and Bill. If you're listening, I hope you are. You haven't called me since the first time you said that.
Speaker 2: We don't. I'm always negative, I'm not always nakedive.
Speaker 3: You're just realistic, and it's just realistic, pragmatic, pragmatic, pragmatic, honestly I am.
Speaker 2: You know, it's sunning outside, but a cloud could be coming.
Speaker 3: Arizona Blue, not Duke Blue, Arizona Blue. Well, good to talk to Chrissy, one of the crazy friends I have in the old sports world, doing some good scene. I didn't remember her doing the kidney thing. Oh, good for her, Good for her, and good thing tomorrow. Will you guys covered anything tomorrow?
Speaker 18: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, nope.
Speaker 3: And they're playing my alma mater, so they should win pretty easily. Everybody you want to call, we have some time. We get about twelve minutes, yep, just about minutes five two, four, one, six, seventy four forty.
Speaker 2: I'll let us know what you think.
Speaker 3: If you were to tell us what you want new or improved a Michale or otherwise on campus, give us call, let us know, maybe pass it on to the people who need to know it's just your experiences as a fan or whatever.
Speaker 2: At you obey.
Speaker 11: That.
Speaker 2: You guys, give me all yours, right.
Speaker 1: I think the only thing I would say, and this is unrealistic dreaming, is moving both baseball and soccer to on campus. I think that would get a little bit more of the student population.
Speaker 4: To go.
Speaker 2: In my opinion.
Speaker 3: Well what you said soccer soccer, maybe maybe baseball. Baseball is doing better because it went a win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, it's doing so much better than what it was at Sanset as the old stadium, and that was right by you know, the football field, the basketball you knew that, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just like the students didn't care or something. Well, you gotta win too. I guess it used to be Rocket a long time ago. You know, I don't know enough about that, but but when they moved to High COVID, it was like, holy crap.
Speaker 2: This well and then they started that's here they won the title. They started winning right right then and there, so you know they the High covered snice now and you know before when I covered the Triple A team. When I first got he was like, okay, nice it looked like the Cleveland team was still there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we gotta call let's stick it. Although you're on the air nine the ball, who's this?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 10: Uh j r.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 19: I have ideas for each sport real quick on how to make it better. So baseball I recommend to get more students involved. Do like a shuttle that runs an hour before an hour after the game from campus back and forth for the students. That that way, uh, they can enjoy their time there, be safe getting home, uh McKay. The student seating availability and for the student seating uh and maybe eating some of the dedicated season ticket holders.
Speaker 2: You sell it without a seat.
Speaker 3: Just start that coverage. Start the basketball until you broke up a little. So start from the beginning.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 19: So for for for basket basketball, yeah yeah, basketball, I just say student seating, they don't need an actual chair. Sell it as a space in a row, you know, with a capacity and stuff. But that way, yeah, back to participants throughout the throughout game. If you look at other competitions that we have in the country, there's some kids that never sit down. And even consider that for some of the elderly, give them like limited amount of seats time so that they're more active and not falling asleep in the games.
Speaker 2: And then I mentioned it before.
Speaker 19: For football, after the first half, open it up at a discounted price to let take a sale will happen so that people, Yeah.
Speaker 3: You're breaking up jail, But I get it because the students, most of them leave or someone will, right, Yeah.
Speaker 19: Yeah, yeah, I mean ideally they'd be earlier games. But I'm talking about like families that would love to go if this can't afford to go. If they knew they had a chance to get in after halftime because the seats weren't sold, and so them at a discount of great, you could have the second half. You know, you count on real dedicated fans being there.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's possible, but that's not a bad idea unless the game is like it starts at eight o'clock and.
Speaker 19: You know you have to get you and Chris Rogers should coach all the sports.
Speaker 2: Well, you just screwed it. You just screwed it up.
Speaker 3: Jill. Well, thanks for the call. I appreciate it. Uh, just not on the student. I didn't get that, did you understand.
Speaker 1: I think what he's trying to say is get rid of seats, the physical seats, and just create like a space for them to stand kind of.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, like the final fours. Oh, I see, I see all that kind of have like like.
Speaker 10: That.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't. I wouldn't do that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's not either safe or probably sound to do that. Okay, if that's what he meant, I didn't understand what you're trying to say. I was trying to do.
Speaker 5: They do.
Speaker 2: They have Now it's just done for me. But I walked through all the time bleachers or they have seats, have seats for basketball. For basketball, they have seats. Okay, okay, so football is all bleacher. Yes, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Still say shortening the or making it smaller, getting more people in that way, making more cozy whatever.
Speaker 2: I think for football that works. Basketball, no, no.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: Fifteen thousand for big games, they'll show and it's not that bad. You like go and look at each other, like, what's thirteen thousand people or whatever, And it's noticeable because you're used to it packed, right, Yeah, and then you see pockets up in the stairs, up in the top kind of empty and you're thinking what, But then again, it's like ten o'clock yep.
Speaker 2: I'll say this for basketball because Tommy talked about getting there late. Yes, have giveaways to get there early. Yeah, I have gifts like they did Bobbleheads a couple of years ago. With various different sports, have like I don't know, a towel giveaway for the first like five something.
Speaker 3: Let me also tell you to try you know this because you guys are too No, no, no, well it costs money. Yeah, but Tucson is notorious and I've been here thirty seven years for being a late arriving Yes group anywhere anytime, if the play starts at ten oh one, they're getting in their seats at ten thirty, at ten ten o'clock ten, Yeah, just you know, thirty seconds before the actual team and they say, where's my seat, where's my seat? And by that time game's on. But his point, I never ever thought his point was was misdirected because it was on the money. You know, the game would start and you'd still have people trying.
Speaker 2: To get to their seats where you're at o their venues and they're they're already harrassing.
Speaker 3: You went to Kansas, then to Kansas twice, and there they get there early to have a fun time and then the game starts.
Speaker 2: Due they were allowed yeah, yeah, like thirty minutes before the game. Yeah. Yeah, but you can't always be Those are one offs right there. But I'll say this, they were also letting students in way early and then they're like regular like I do, this section came in, yeah, and then I would say about fifteen minutes later, the regular fans, like the field in season ticket holders filled in. Right. So maybe that's the thing you do with McHale as you let the students in earlier than what you do and maybe do activities, I don't know, get them involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's you know, that's a guy like for Tony that we had on right uh yeah, because we were there at Duke and we were we had to be seated pretty much in our area because the guys came in and we hard to get in and out of our.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we had no room. Once he got down, you were there, Yeah, you were not getting up and you're getting back.
Speaker 1: Right now to go on your point about two. So on arriving late, you know, I would get stuck in the third row of the media. And I'm not saying it's like that's a bad thing or anything. It's just when the best basketball, when the crowds arriving late, they're walking in front.
Speaker 2: Of you, you can't see anything, right, yeah, and you're just.
Speaker 1: Like, well, we're already ten fifteen minutes into the game and you're barely getting here.
Speaker 2: My favorite is when people did I've had happen to me a couple of times. I don't know if it's happened to you. They'll come up and go, where is section I'm working, dude, I tell I'm sorry, man exactly.
Speaker 3: They'll go, as you still wearing those blue vests, Target with the white hat? Yeah, Target, could you tell me where the fore the under arm the older it is?
Speaker 2: I had that happened like twice. I'm like, I don't know, man, I'm just working. Well, can't know I'm working? Go ask somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think personally it happens to me all the time, whether I'm working or even just being a fan.
Speaker 2: People come up to me and I'm like.
Speaker 1: I don't know, don't have your ticket at Mikale, at Michale, at the Football Stadium or a Target.
Speaker 2: Sir, do you know where the frost flakes are? I said, Uh, probably someone that works here. That's bigger start. You probably looked lost to I don't road. Do you know where? That's funny?
Speaker 3: Okay, any more calls we can take maybe one that we got five minutes. Yes, we can take another one. Thanking Jr.
Speaker 2: For calling us.
Speaker 3: Let us know what's going on. Uh yeah, So I think that you of a will see the subtle changes. I was surprised when he said that they're gonna start making but it's kind of be subtle, not like a boom, like like I think the at the football stadium, Arizona Stadium. The biggest problem I had was the sound. And the only problem I had was a sound, not not the seats I was in the section. Yeah, yeah, okay, okay, you think I'm gonna go live in that is the part of the no no, I was invited for that, but you could very yeah hear it, and maybe it was because I was far away from it. Whatever they would sound, it was exactly it muffled, right, yeah, no question. So I mean, you fix one cerro here, one cereo there, it's probably bits pieces.
Speaker 2: Right then that's kind of what it sounds like it was gonna happen, right And then there you go. Eventually you have a whole system.
Speaker 3: And then by that time it's like the roads here, you fix this area, but then that one breaks and then you got to come back exactly And then do they say, well that's always being under construction. No, it's just that where you drive, they fix this area, you gotta go this area and then other fix blah blah blah. You know how many fixes do they need in that stadium?
Speaker 2: Bunch? Right, I mean it's an old stadium for a reason, right, and elevators, I'm not sure. Good luck with that. Stop being lazy. You're you're in shape. You're the one in here that's in shape.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 18: When one thing I saw that on Saturday too is one of the like on the screen, not the not the big screen, but the one in the corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just like a green panel like it just like stayed green. I don't know, maybe they just didn't use it. I think I think they might have been having technical difficulties. That scream usually is working. But did you did you go you in as a fan? Did you were you on the field? I took like a little lap around the field just to see.
Speaker 3: Like what was did you what was your feeling being the fan on the field because we were we were you were there. Yeah, I was there for like a minute.
Speaker 2: I just walked by. Yeah, I mean it was cool.
Speaker 18: The person I went with they hadn't been on the field either, so they thought that was pretty cool. And I mean there was kind of cool events, like the little like there was like I just get more of like why I would intrigue a family to go, because it's like you can leave your kid, well not leave your kid, but like you can be with your kid like doing all that kind of stuff and like you like taking an eye like at the like at the practice that's going on, compared to like having to chase your kid around the state.
Speaker 2: I would imagine.
Speaker 3: Right. No, the one thing that I thought Tony hit on two is when you were kids and me too, when you went to those type of games and you got to kind of watch them and meet them. It was when you were ten years old or eight years old. It's a cool thing because you don't get to meet your heroes. You don't get to meet your heroes, and you know, eventually they're not my heroes anymore. But back when you're young, they were, Well here's the thing. Now your hero's there for spring and they're not there when all comes Well, that's yeah, that's it's hard to stay engaged intact.
Speaker 2: Let me see you.
Speaker 3: That's why you're a sports fan, right, Yep, I'm not a sports fan because for that reason, my guy here is on this team and then he could be somewhere else tomorrow. It's like the we talked about Jimmy Butler, right, is he here for a year or whatever and then he goes somewhere else this movement. That's why I'm horrible fantasy.
Speaker 2: I get my team.
Speaker 3: I don't trade anybody because I'm loyal to the team that sucks and I don't get rid of them.
Speaker 2: Well, and and college is becoming more and more and more like the NBA where they're in the contract, but it doesn't really mean you're under contract. You just throw a fitting and get traded where you want to go. Kevin Kevin Durant uh, Kyrie Irving has done it before. It doesn't matter that our movement happens regardless of contract. So I know college they don't have contracts, but eventually you gotta think, yeah, right, we gotta go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, thanks guys for coming in today. We'll see you guys tomorrow