Speaker 1: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day. With a smart all day plan from Board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five euro welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy Dot I E Board Gosh Energy Know your Power.
Speaker 2: Estimation annuel bill of twenty six hundred and twenty nine euro new customers only. Thirst of percentis kent off smart all day electricity unit rates in twenty nine percent of GASSI unitrates. Seaportcosh Energy dot E for fullties and CIS get.
Speaker 3: Value you can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing cloub card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get a finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euro like our delicious spicy salami, hot honey and do you or Margarito wood fired pizzas served up with their crispy chunkie chips and ice cream like Sea Salt de Caramel or Pistasio for dessert. Can't argue with that shop in store or online Tesco. Every little helps available in most stories, Prices vary in express.
Speaker 4: Oh hey, so it's your partner who insisted on buying respirators during COVID, who isn't clothing at all. They're just glad that we have them when we need them. Ali Ward here with a rather smoky encore. It's a mega episode because the time has never been right to explain what is happening over North America? Is it the apocalypse? Maybe? Stay tuned. So we have a really good episode about scallops in the Pike coming for you that we have been working so hard. You're gonna have to wait a coup more days for it. But with the current situation, we thought we'd bring back these super hot fire ecology episodes to your attention. If you're like, what's going on over there? Let me tell you a quick rundown. What is happening currently on the continent of North America. So the Canadian Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair said, as of Wednesday this week, four hundred and fourteen wildfires we're burning in Canada, with two hundred and thirty nine of them out of control. As of today Wednesday, Tune seventh, Toronto has the third worst air quality in the world and New York City has the second worst. Dealing with the same smoke from all these Canadian fires, Delhi, India, I regret to inform you that you are the winner of this terrible contest. But right now, North America isn't just sporting bizarre hellish landscapes with smoky orange glowing skies that you may have been seeing posted all over social media. It's also a real health hazard, especially after a three years of a pandemic that involves respiratory infections. So if you are being affected by the smoke at all, pay attention to your local authorities for upstate health alerts, as have been issued from New York to the Carolinas and as far west as Minnesota, according to The New York Times, where health officials are recommending that residents with health risks stay indoors and keep the windows closed. The CDC has a bunch of recommendations about dealing with the smoke, which will link in the show notes for this episode. But in case you can't stay indoors hopefully with an air filter running, we thought we'd highlight what the CDC has to say about masks. Quote, don't rely on dustus masks for protection. Paper comfort or dust masks commonly found in hardware stores trap large particles such as sawdust. But these masks will not protect you or your lungs from smoke. So an N ninety five mask properly worn will offer some protection, So bust out those N ninety five's if you are somewhere with smoke right now. Also, speaking of health, another reason why I'm running this mega episode is I've been dealing with some health stuff and I will talk about it in this mega secret at the end of this mega episode. If you care, if you make it all the way there, but take care of yourselves and please enjoy this mega encore double feature of fire ecology and indigenous fire ecology. Hem oh hey, it's the pair of sunglasses that you leave in the car. It's scratched. It's not your favorite, but it's better than nothing. In a pinch, Ali ward back with a piping hot episode of ologies. It's top of mind for a lot of us out here up here in the Northern Hemisphere, especially towards the west of the continent. Wildfires, fire ecology, blazing infernos, apocalyptic nightmares, this ologist so special. Got his bachelor's in zoology, a master's in wildlife ecology, and a PhD in Wildlife ecology Statistics, all from the University of Wisconsin and Madison. He is currently a Wildlife and Terrestrial Ecosystems research ecologist. Such a mouthful. He's a research scientist at the US Department of Agriculture's Forest Service, also an adjunct professor at the University of New Mexico. He has been published on papers about fire refuges for wildlife where they hide out megafires, habitat loss. He's also just casually the editor at the Association of Fire Ecology, so I have been following him online for a while. I reached out to casually ask him about pyrology versus fire ecology, and before I knew it, I was begging him to talk to me. So we hopped onto chat while fires were raging in the West this week and I was in a muggy Florida hotel room for work and it smelled like a turtle tank. But before we dive into the conversation, I want to thank everyone at patreon dot com slash ologies. It costs a dollar a month to join, and then you can submit questions to Theologists. Thank you to everyone listening and making us the number one podcast in the science category on Spotify, and thank you for leaving reviews on Apple Podcasts to get us seen by other people. I truly read them all because I desperately want to make a show that does not suck, and to prove it, I'm going to read you a still glowing coal of assessment from Bert Lancaster, who wrote Ologies is your cynicism antidote. I simultaneously feel beautifully tiny and so expansive that I could burst after listening. Sometimes I just have to stand there and laugh to myself for a while. Sometimes I cry. Emotions are weird. Love you dad, word, Bert Lancaster, get a hanky because your internet dad right here loves you right back. Okay, everyone who left to review, I read it. I love you also. Okay, all right, let's fine. Fire off some questions, Yeah, okay, open your ears for info on what fire is, how hot it burns, fire trends, tinder boxes, lots and lots of forest fire, flim flam, tolerant wombats, Angelina Joe Lee, movies, cunning pine cones, thick bark, tragic Koala's indigenous fire stewardship and more with researcher, scientists of the woods, desert dweller, awl cuddler, forest service employee, optimist and fire ecologist doctor Gavin Jones.
Speaker 5: Yes, Gavin Jones, and my pronouns are.
Speaker 6: He him, got it?
Speaker 4: And you are currently in New Mexico.
Speaker 5: That's right in the great city of Albuquerque.
Speaker 4: Do you guys have trees there?
Speaker 5: You know we do? Yes, Okay, it's pretty much desert out here, so when the trees grow, they don't grow very tall.
Speaker 4: And now tell me how a fire ecologist from Wisconsin and Florida and now New Mexico. Yes, how did your life path lead to fire ecology?
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, it was really an accident. I do consider myself a fire ecologist, but I was really trained, and I did my graduate work and all my studies in wildlife ecology. And when I was in grad school, I was doing some research out in the Sierra Nevada and California on the cutest cuddliest creature there is the California spot at owl. And yeah, like pretty much anybody who spends enough time doing science out in fire prone lands like the Sierra Nevada. You eventually become a fire ecologist because a fire happens and then you have to try to figure out what to do with it. So that's exactly what happened. I was doing my master's degree. I was at the University of Wisconsin with my supervisor, Zach Peery, and we were doing a study out in California on spotted owls, trying to figure out what kind of forests they used, how they would respond to climate change. And just as I was finishing my master's degree, like just a month or two before I had defended my degree, a big fire burned through our study area.
Speaker 7: Yeh yeah.
Speaker 5: And at the time, to be honest with you, I was I was pretty devastated. I was like, man, what does this mean for the work that I've been doing? Like does this even mean anything anymore? It, you know, changed the game a little bit, but it provided an incredible opportunity to learn about how these animals, this owl that I was studying, responded to fire. It was basically a natural experiment. This fire burned through our study area in twenty fourteen, and it burned through about half of it. And so you know, in ecology, when we're doing these field studies, we rarely get the chance to do experiments. Like almost everything we do is observational. We go out and we see what we see, and we record it and we try to make sense of it. We rarely get to do experiments like you know other folks get to do in the lab who are doing chemistry or their molecular things. But this was really a natural experiment to see how this species of owl responded to fire. And that's what launched me into, i guess, being a real sucker for fire and for learning about how it works in some of these systems, why it happens, how it happens, what its consequences are, and I'm totally hooked.
Speaker 4: Now how many of your owls were later, how many of the owls survived that, like what percentage of the impacted area half of your study area.
Speaker 5: So some of them didn't make it, some of them dispersed, some of them left the fire they were able to get out of the way. And then there's large parts of the fire that didn't burn so severely, that burned at lower severity where basically a lot of the trees that the big trees in the canopy, they kind of you know, they survived, and some of the understory burned a little bit more of what we call quote unquote good fire in some of these areas, which I'd love to talk more about. But you know, a lot of those birds did great and are still persisting in some of those areas that experienced lower severity fire, those lower severity effects.
Speaker 4: To the forest, but predictably many bit the proverbial dust and returned to the earth. As Ash Gavin told me that one of his colleagues was surveying the charred land and found a little aluminum owl leg band that they used for tagging and it in case a little crispy owl leg did not go well for that one.
Speaker 6: And how did that wildfire start?
Speaker 5: Well, so that particular wildfire that was a human started fire, and it's actually a kind of a sad story. Is some guy, I'm trying to remember the details. You should look this up ally, but some guy was I think taking a video for his ex girlfriend or something and like lit some house on fire and then that started this gigantic It was like, at the time, one of the largest fires that had burned in the state of California.
Speaker 4: Okay, buckle up, here's a story. So this was twenty fourteen's King Fire, and it started in Pollock Pines and the Sierra Nevadas. And I already knew of this fire because my parents lived in Pollock Pines in twenty fourteen, and my sisters and I had to plead with them to heed the emergency evacuation orders as pyrocumulus clouds billowed over their hill. We're like, please get to safety. I'm sweat a lot. Don't make me come up there. I can't. The roads are closed. So I booked my mom and dad a hotel in Reno, out of harm's way. And the hotel turned out to have a mirrored ceiling and a very thrifty but sensual vibe. They tell me. I get the feeling that there were also hourly rates available at this hotel. I got them. I didn't read the reviews. Okay, it was an emergency anyway. The Kingfire that reduced homes to ashes and dashed people's dreams at Flambayed Gavin's Owls. It was all started by a guy named Wayne Huntsman, who was not a Huntsman but an arsonist, a formerly incarcerated firefighter actually, who that sweltering September day had set several fires to impress a paramore. He took video for her standing between two small, smoldering blazes that were just starting to take off. I'm not sure how their relationship turned out, but as proof that we're living in a simulation the burn area, the burn scar is absolutely shaped like a perfect ninety seven thousand acre dick and balls all ablaze in one of the state's most infamous literal thirst traps. Okay, so how much is our horny, greedy species to blame?
Speaker 5: Oh man? And that's another thing, is a lot of the ignitions are human ignitions, you know, people accidentally starting fires, machinery getting too hot, people driving over dry grass, and things like that.
Speaker 4: So Gavin says that eighty to ninety percent of all wildfires are human caused ignitions. Half of California's largest fires in the last century happened in the past five years. By the way, a complex fire means a cluster of related fires in one area. But what's the difference between a wildfire and a forest fire?
Speaker 5: We talk about wildfires. Typically, when we're talking about wildfires, those are unplanned, so fires that we as people don't plan so you can kind of juxtapose that with a prescribed fire or a cultural fire. So prescribe fire is often fire that is purposely set and then managed by teams to achieve some type of objective. Maybe they're trying to restore some area, restore fire. You know, you probably hear a lot about you know, people burning prairies and things like that. It's the same thing in forests, they go in and do prescribed burns. And then there's also a really important component of cultural burning, So indigenous communities using wildfire for their purposes, which until you know, about one hundred two hundred years ago, made up the overwhelming majority of the fire activity that was happening in a lot of these areas. For you know, the last ten thousand years or so, indigenous peoples have been using fire in o really important cultural way, and that has really changed in the past couple of centuries with colonization, but that is an increasingly important part of the solution to sort of this modern wildfire problem.
Speaker 4: And obviously indigenous cultures and just the planet at large saw the benefit of prescribed burns. So what good do fires do, either in prescribed burns or just in nature.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's such a good question. I mean, fires are a critical piece of ecosystems around the world. Every square inch of land that has vegetation has some type of fire regime, It has some sort of natural fire cycle, and fire is kind of a restorative process. There's many benefits of fire from we can think about it from a human perspective, we can think about it from a sort of an ecosystem perspective, you know, from the human perspective. You know, fires create more resilient forest when they burn the right way. When we have sort of a natural kind of lower intensity fire in some systems, like in the Sierra Nevada, where I've spent a lot of my time, that reinforces healthy water supplies. It reduces erosion.
Speaker 4: Side note, A fire regime sounds like Satan's cabinet members farting flames in a hades boardroom, but it's actually just a gentle term. A fire regime describes a pattern of fire, how frequent, how intense, what kind of fuel of gobbles And maybe me just calling it Satan's cabinet members farting in hades. Maybe that's part of the root of Europeans fear of fire and thus this historical fire suppression by colonists. I wondered this, and I begged myself not to google it because this aside would be like forty five minutes long. But snap, I found a twenty fifteen paper from the journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society be title Fire in the Mind, Changing Understandings of Fire in Western Civilization, in which author Stephen J. Pron writes you ready for this quote? The Old Testament is in fact a cauldron of stories, rights, and beliefs simmering over a mix of religious fires. He goes on to say the heartland of European forestry new fire only as a human artifact, not a natural process. Most new and colonized lands were burned lands naturally, but the agencies found themselves in a continuous firefight, so fire became a political as well as practical challenge. He continues, the upshot has generally been disastrous. Okay, So what does the land miss out on when natural fire is suppressed and indigenous populations are fined, imprisoned, or even, up until the nineteen thirties in the US shot for fire stewardship. Well, from an ecology standpoint, those fires can help the water supply by eliminating excess vegetation and thus increasing runoff into streams, and by preventing huge fires with more frequent smaller ones. Also, erosion doesn't get out of control when there are regular fires, like you see with post megafire mud slides. Also, the charcoal after a burn could trap carbon for millennia, and the recovery of vegetation takes more excess carbon from the atmosphere. According to the twenty nineteen paper how wildfires trap carbon for centuries to millennia. Okay, but wildfires burn at eight hundred degrees celsius. That's fourteen seventy two fahrenheit America. So the animals hate natural and cultural burns too, right, No animal wants to be trapped in a blaze. But I'm just going to stop myself from singing about the circle of life in your ears.
Speaker 5: And then from an ecosystem perspective, and from what I like to think about a lot is the biodiversity perspective, So you know what kinds of animals there are and the richness of of animal life and plant life. Fires create this template for wildlife and plants to thrive. And also this that creates this natural dynamic where you have places that burn in one year and then don't burn for a while, and places that burn frequently, in places that burn at high severity and low severity. You can kind of think about it as this patchwork, this mosaic of different ages of forests that burned at different times, and that creates a really diverse landscape that generates the habitat for lots of critters. It can be a really regenerative and restorative process to the land, both from a ecosystem perspective and also really you know, fire is a necessary part of these systems, and so when we can put the right kind of fire on the landscape, it really benefits us to as people as society.
Speaker 4: So fire mosaic paints a beautiful picture of land in different states of recovery and and if you're looking to learn more about it, don't google fire mosaic unless you want to see a lot of tiling crafts that seem to be an homage to burning Man. But look up the official term. It's patch mosaic burning. So let's talk different flavors of fire, because it does matter.
Speaker 5: So you can think this is a really overly simplistic way to think about fire, because fire is a really complicated process. But the way that we often sort of describe it and think about it within fire ecology world is we think about natural low severity fire regimes. You know, in a given area, you might expect fires to sort of burn a lower severity, not too hot, not too all consuming. They burn along in the understory, nice and happy, crawl along and burn some logs here, burn some trees there, but generally don't destroy or consume the big trees in the overstore of the canopy. So that first end of the system, that's kind of frequent low severity fires. And then on the other end of the whole spectrum you can think about infrequent high severity fires or fire regimes rather, so these are places in that area is for fires when they do burn, to burn pretty big and pretty hot, and those are both natural, but they're natural in those different places. And so why is it that you have some places that naturally burn low severity and generally I'm talking about forest fires here and then other places of the forests that naturally burn it really high severity and really large. We can think about those two ends of the spectrum also in terms of what's limiting the system. So in these low severity fire systems, those are generally systems that are limited by fuel. And so what I mean by that is the climate is such that on any given year, the conditions are right for fire, Like if there's a lightning strike or another ignition, fire is going to burn and the fuel is dry, and the only thing that's keeping that fire. One of the primary things it's controlling that fire and where it burns is where the fuel is, where the trees are, where the kindling so to speak is. And because those fires those places they ignite every year, there's ignitions all the time, and the conditions are right for fire, they burn really frequently. And so you can think about places where the fires burn every couple of years, and when they do burn, they kind of clean out or you know, burn in that understory, so sort of below the forest canopy. It's burning the smaller trees, it's burning some of the medium trees, and it's burning some of the big trees. But mostly it just every time a fire burns, it burns all that fine fuel or a lot of it, right, And so that's the primary sort of control on how fire burns in some of these dry fuel limited systems.
Speaker 4: So in these areas, the way it's supposed to be is that fires don't get mega because blazes are more frequent, so burning all of the fallen wood and the understory, so an excess of fuel doesn't build up. So that's one way that these giant, devastating fires can be avoided.
Speaker 5: And then on the other end of the spectrum, you have these climate limited systems, so rather than the system being limited by fuel, it's limited by climate. And so this is a place like the Pacific Northwest, where it's really wet, right, it's generally wet most of the time, it's cool. There's maybe quite a few ignitions, but when those ignitions occur, the fuel is not really ready to burn. It's too wet, and maybe it burns a small fire or something like that, but it just kind of extinguishes itself. And you think about that system, those kind of areas, and when you end up getting those really big, infrequent, severe fires that occur there, it's because there's been a some sort of climate activity, like a drought that's caused all that fuel that hasn't burned in a really long time to dry out and then it burns, and when it does burn, it burns really big because there's tons of fuel available, right, And so those are that's kind of the two ends of the spectrum. And you know, I was trying to think about this today. How do I describe that that like spectrum in a way that's not so dry and academic. And I was thinking about, like, Okay, like the haircut that I get is like a frequent fire system. Okay. You know, I go to Great Clips or Sport Clips or whatever just down the street from me, and I get my haircut every few weeks, maybe every month. It's it kind of maintains the general structure. It never kind of goes super long, and I never buzz it super short either. I just kind of keep it, you know, tamed, so to speak. You know, I go in there frequently. I clean out sort of the growth, right that's happened in between each cut. And on the other end of the spectrum, you could have somebody and I did this once when I was in college. I think you're right after college, you know, grow out your hair super duper long. Like I didn't cut it for I don't remember exactly how long it was, but let's say so you grow your hair for a year, five years or something. You know, you get some pretty floppy, pretty pretty crazy hair, at least if you've got hair like me, and then you say I'm gonna buzz it, and so then you buzz it right off. That's kind of the I don't know, you can kind of kind of think about that as the two ends of the spectrum. Right, You've got like your frequent haircut system, and you've got your infrequent, high severity haircut system, where you know, you just let it grow and then you cut it all off.
Speaker 4: Okay, So in this analogy, the regular maintenance cuts are the low intensity fires, the ones that burn the undergrowth, that don't spread too far or that extinguish themselves because there's enough moisture to keep things from being stray bone, dry powder, keg, kindling. But if those small fires don't happen, or if the fire resistant older trees are logged out, or if the climate is just super hot, then you get a situation that's much more dramatic. I've had got and is that like long main to buzz cut.
Speaker 6: Is that what a mega fire is?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that term I would say, that's a good way to think about it. Yeah, from the long man to the buzz cut. The term megafire is a really interesting term, and it really doesn't have a great definition. A lot of people when they talk about megafires, they're thinking about these basically really big fires, just fires that are giant in size. But you can have a really really large fire that doesn't necessarily create that forest buzz cut, right, It doesn't necessarily kill all the trees within its path. It may kill some trees in some parts, but not throughout the whole fire.
Speaker 4: So a forest mullet maybe, but not the cool kind that gen Z has. The warning my cousin will probably hit on your wife kind of mullet not ideal.
Speaker 5: You can have really large fires that are not necessarily super damaging. You can have smaller fires that are pretty severe and intense and destroy a lot of what's there in terms of the forests. There isn't really a single definition of mega fires. A lot of people like to think about them in terms of their impact to society too, So it's not just like how big or severe they are in terms of how many trees they kill, but it's you know, how much that fire influences people, and you know how much of the infrastructure it destroys. And there's a growing problem within the US, and particularly the western US, which right now, as you know, is experiencing quite a bit of fire activity. There's a lot more people living in that interface, what we call the wildland urban interface or the WOUI yeah wooey, So yes.
Speaker 4: The US Forest Service defines the wildland urban interface as quote, a group of home and other structures with basic infrastructure and services within or adjacent to federal land that is an at risk community. Aka all the cute cabins that you save on pinorest when you should be working on a spreadsheet for your boss because you just want to get away for the weekend, but go to someplace that still has coffee shops. So more and more folks ditched the cities in the pandemic for these type of living situations and might be getting their very first tastes of PSPs, which are public safety power shutoffs when utility companies straight up cut power for a day, maybe a few weeks when winds are high in case otherwise live downed wires ignite the forest. Realators might not tell you about that until after you're done with escrow, So Wowie.
Speaker 5: Indeed, the wildland urban interface is kind of this intermingling of people and the forest right where they kind of overlap a little bit. And there's a lot more people living there now than there was ten twenty years ago, and so you can think about fires as generally having more of a mega impact on people now because we're just more vulnerable in some ways to those fire effects when those fires do burn through.
Speaker 4: And now, as we're speaking, the Dixie Fire is the one of the largest fires California has ever seen. There's the is it the Bootleg fire up in Oregon?
Speaker 7: Ye?
Speaker 5: Up in southern Oregon, that's right.
Speaker 4: So I'm surprised you were able to even talk to me right now. Can you tell me a little bit about what your job entails. Do you have is the busy season all year round because you're analyzing data that comes in or do you have to go to the field a lot? Are you getting reports from people who are closer to each of the fires? Do you have to count all the fires all of that?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I am not one of the incredible people who are out on the front lines doing this work on the fires, right, My work is really more focused on after fire burns, what can we learn from it. And there are also a ton of people, of course, who are out there responding to these fires like the Dixie Fire and the Bootleg Fire and many others when those are burning, and those are the people who really deserve the applause and the praise, right who are out there doing this really dangerous work. And I'm relatively speaking, I'm a desk jockey compared to those people. So I spend a lot of my time here at the computer trying to take that data and learn from the fires and trying to understand how wildlife respond to those fires. That's what I do most of the time. This last year, COVID year, has definitely made things even more so away from the field. But boy, I love field work. I've done quite a bit of it. I love getting out into those burned landscapes and trying to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 4: What is it like when you are doing field work, What kind of samples do you have to collect, and what kinds of observations are you making.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so a lot of the work that I've done has focused on how this one little critter, that spotted owl responds to these burned areas, these fires that have come through. And so myself and some of my really outstanding colleagues, both back from when I was in grad school that I established during my PhD program, some of those collaborators back at University of Wisconsin, as well as some of my fantastic teammates here at the Rocky Mountain Research Station with the US Forest Service, we've done quite a bit of work trying to understand how this bird, this spotted owl responds to fires. We've gone out and spent quite a bit of time in these burned areas, capturing owls and putting GPS tags on them to see where they move in these burned areas, to see if they like them or if they're using them. We literally go out into the woods and hood at the alley dear, Really, we really do it. You walk into the woods where you think there's going to be an owl and you just start hooting with your mouth. You just do it, and they hoot back because they're like, Hey, who the heck is that?
Speaker 8: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And then are you able to count them based on who hoots?
Speaker 5: Pretty much? Yeah, So we call them callback surveys. So we're calling, they call back, and that's how we locate them. And oftentimes we're just interested in detecting them. So okay, there's an owl here, there's an owl there, sort of establishing where they are across the landscape.
Speaker 4: Did I look this up? Of course? And please enjoy the absolute maestro of this art see O Pacific Industries wildlife biologist Kevin roberts Well.
Speaker 9: I like to do when I'm surveying for spotted owls and using my voice is kind of mix them all up and do something to the fact of.
Speaker 8: Whoa who who?
Speaker 4: Thank you, Kevin. We beg you to make a ring tone? Is it too much to ask? You can only answer that in owl hoots? But anyway, that is how you do a Jim Carrey level impersonation of spotted owls.
Speaker 5: But a lot of the work I've done is focused on capturing those owls once we find them, and putting little GPS tags on them and seeing where they go. And then we get that, we get that data and we see where they went and we try to figure out, Okay, how are they interacting with some of those burned areas. What can we learn from that about what type of fire they like, what kind of forests they like, and how we might be able to manage the forests in a way that supports them.
Speaker 4: And how is a fire ecology changing with the climate with droughts? Why do droughts even happen? Is the water that would normally rain here raining somewhere else where?
Speaker 6: Is the water so okay?
Speaker 5: So again, this is something that much smarter people would have a much better answer for. But I will say that something that is for certain is that we are entering into uncharted territory with fire and fire ecology and fire behavior. And one of my good colleagues at University of California mer said, Leroy Westerling has you know, said many many times to me, and I've seen him write about this too. You know, there is no more normal in terms of fire. There's not even a new normal. It's a new abnormal, you know, we because we just it's really it's becoming really difficult to predict what's going to happen in the future because we don't have a reference point anymore. We're sort of just going into uncharted territory. And so you know, when it comes to drought and climate change and things like that, look those are definitely a part of the equation in terms of what's going on with wildfire and what's going to happen, and particularly climate change and you know how that interacts with forests and drives out fuels and things like that. Sometimes it's hard to just talk about drought and climate change for many reasons because it's hard as like a scientist who's interested in conservation, like, what can I do about that? I mean, you know, I don't. I don't mean to sound like nihilistic, like, oh, we can't do anything about it, because we can. We absolutely can. It's never too late to make actions on those big problems like climate change, right, But you know, I have the the honor to work for this agency, the US for a service that is in charge of managing a ton of land, and so what can we do on the ground to make a difference in terms of how these fires burn?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 5: And you know, considering climate change like that plays a role. It plays a really role, and so does drought in terms of driving some of these wildfire patterns that we've seen. But there's also something to be said for how forests are managed and how flammable forests are and how we can potentially manage them in a way that tries to mitigate those worst effects of fire when they do come through. So it's really like you are going to hear people say, oh, you know, these fires are just because of climate change, there's nothing we can do about it. And then you're going to hear people say, oh, climate change has nothing to do with it. It's we just need to manage forests differently. And the reality is it's neither of those. It's kind of both, right, It's both climate change and you know, the forest and the patterns of fuels across the landscape are affecting how fires burn. As a research scientist with the Forest Service, I'm thinking about how can I do science that informs how we manage for it. And that's one of the coolest parts about my job is that I work for an agency that has a really strong management component, you know, a huge part of the agency as people out there doing this work, you know, managing forests, coming up with forest plans and management plans and fire plans, and I get to do science that helps them figure out how to do that, and we work together, you know, in a collaborative way to figure that out. And that is where I think I like focusing on those solutions, right, How can we press the levers and make a difference from the ground.
Speaker 4: Is the leading theory on that is just more and better prescribed burns, or is it humans stop living in the woods for a while, Like what is the best tool you have?
Speaker 5: Yes, so that is a great question. And I think this is a misconception that if humans just got out of the picture, it would all be better.
Speaker 7: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: You know, I think it's easy to think that way, like, oh, we're just the problem and humans suck and we just need to get out of the picture and nature will do its own thing and blah blah blah. And look, you know I understand that perspective. I'm sensitive to it. But we have to remember indigenous people's have been burning for ten thousand years, and you know, we need more fire on the landscape, not less. It's just what kind of fire burns. This is kind of crazy to think about, but especially given you're looking at these maps. I've got the New York Times wildfire tracker open here, I got another tracker on my desktop open as well. Like with all these big fires burning, you're thinking, like, man, there's just got to be so much more fire now than there ever was.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I would think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's totally what you'd think, But it's actually not the case. There's still less fire in the West, in western North America. Then there was many many years ago, one hundred, two hundred, three hundred, five hundred thousand years ago.
Speaker 6: But they were smaller back then.
Speaker 5: Is that so they just burned differently. I'll bring you through a little bit of a time warp. So we often in Western science delineate sort of this pre colonial era and in the pre European or pre colonial era, there was a lot of fire in the West. I mean, these are flammable landscapes, and they never really got put out, right, All these ignitions would just burn, and vast areas of the landscape would burn all the time, depending again on what kind of system you're in, right, So these frequent fire systems would burn very frequently. You know, every couple of years you'd have fires kind of returning to the same areas. Then when you know settlers, white settlers colonized and pretty much disrupted indigenous burning and began actively suppressing wildfires. The amount of fire in the landscape just dropped to you know, almost nothing very effective at suppressing fires for a long time in the Western US. And basically what's happened is only recently have we sort of lost our handle on our ability to put out fires. The level of activity that we're seeing now is still far less than the level of fire activity that used to burn. But the difference is that because in many of these forests, and particularly in these frequent fire forests or these dry forest systems that used to burn really frequently, they haven't burned in a century or more, and so when they do burn, they burn really hot and really big, and that's not a natural kind of fire for this system. And also, you know, along with that, we have a lot more people again kind of living in those fire prone areas, and so we feel the effects a lot more as well as the population has increased, and so we still have way way less fire activity on the landscape that these fires are typically burning in a way that is for those forests unnatural and for society really not acceptable. Right. The other crazy thing is that we actually have in some areas, particularly again these sort of historically frequent fire systems, we have a lot more trees too than we used to have, oh yeah, which like it goes right along with that fire suppression. So we put out fires for one hundred years or more, and all those little shrubs and saplings that would have burned and those regular fires grew up to be big, you know, medium sized trees.
Speaker 6: More trees.
Speaker 8: Is that good?
Speaker 4: Well, it's kind of like a garage that we have failed to Marie condo for a long time, which I'll be honest, is my garage. Got to clear some stuff out. I'm talking to myself.
Speaker 5: And so we have actually a lot more trees on the landscape now in a place like this Ieerra, Nevada, where I've spent a lot of my career doing this research than we used to. It's just like the kinds of fires are different, the kinds of trees are different. We have a lot more smaller trees and medium sized trees, and a lot fewer of those really giant old trees, which are really kind of an endangered species sort of in and of themselves. Because over the past one hundred years or so, particularly pre nineteen eighties, there was quite a bit of large tree logging going all the way back to the early nineteen hundreds and late eighteen hundreds, so a lot of those big old trees were removed, a lot of those smaller trees grew up with that fire suppression, and now we just have a ton of smaller trees on the landscape. And that again is kind of feeding back into why we have fires that are burning differently because these fires are burning through you know, these pretty thick, connected, like well connected forests that historically just didn't look like that at all.
Speaker 4: So forests look and behave much differently now, and they were for tens of thousands of years because of colonial human tinkering. Don't you want to know all about indigenous fires, stewardship now and cultural burns? So do I? And did I hours before this podcast episode on up decide to feverishly book an indigenous fire scientist to talk to me for next week. I did, so stay tuned. I just thought i'd plant that expectation for you. And what about the effect of fire on seeds opening and certain plants saying like sweet, there was just a fire, now's my time to shine like our ash is good for certain types of botany.
Speaker 5: So okay, One of my colleagues, Jens Stevens, he's with the Forest Service as well. Now he's done some really awesome work looking at tree adaptations to fire and fire regimes. But one of the most common examples of how trees are adapted to fire is, particularly when thinking about seeds, is seroteny as E R O T I N. Why so, seroteny is this trait that some trees have, not not all trees, but some trees have this basically waxy kind of resin that encompasses their cones and their seeds, and they only open when fires burn because the fire melts that wax off of their seeds and the seeds drop and then the trees able to regenerate and typically it releases in many cases. In some cases that I know of, those trees require a really severe fire to release its seed.
Speaker 4: Okay, So serotenus means later or following, and it is not to be confused with certolene, which is the generic form of zoloft, which I googled wrong. So according to Nationalforest dot Org, serotenous cones with full mature seeds can just chill out closed up on a pine tree like a jackpine or a table mountain pine for years until a fire sweeps through and the resin melts and then the seed confetti party time happens. So this is also side note how indoor fire sprinklers work. They're not reliant on smoke, but on heat of over one hundred and fifty degrees fahrenheit. So there's a little glass capsule in fire sprinklers and it's filled with glycerine, and that heats up and bursts and opens the sprinkler valve. And apparently they open individually wherever it's hottest, not all at once like in the movies. I'm looking at you, Lethal Weapon four, The Incredibles and Charlie's Angels and Mean Girls and Casino Royal and Kindergarten Cop and the Peanuts movie and all the other ones. And I'm going to link on my website because I found someone with a YouTube channel who is very pissed about the sprinkler myth. Anyway, heat seeds disperse, it's natural, and.
Speaker 5: So some trees have adapted that that trait, and in other cases trees have really thick bark. And this is the case for many of the trees and these frequent fire systems that experience fires all the time. On a five and your cycle or in that range, trees have really thick bark because they need to survive that frequent heat and disturbance from fire. And so there's really remarkable adaptations that plants have to fire. And also increasingly we're trying to learn about animal adaptations to fire. Typically we think about these in terms of behavioral adaptations. So how do animals interact with either fire itself or the post fire landscape in a way that tells us a little bit about it? Kind of opens the book on their evolution, how they evolved.
Speaker 4: So what are the spoty owls like? It turns out small patches of high intensity fires, which were more common in pre colonial times. Spoty owls are like me at a cocktail party, just waiting for a tray of egg girls to roll past. Now, in scientific terms, this is called a sit and wait predator.
Speaker 5: And the owls like to sit on the edge, on that green edge and hunt into that smaller patch of open forest where I can see little you know, critters run across, and it has a better flight path and that sort of thing, while also concealing itself from its predator, like the great horned owl. So that's just one example that I've been involved in. But we generally expect, you know, not only plants to have these adaptations, but also animals to potentially have these behavioral adaptations too.
Speaker 7: M h.
Speaker 6: That's so interesting.
Speaker 4: Also, I didn't realize that owls had drama between them. He would think they'd be like, I'm an l you're an owl. Let's make this happen, you know.
Speaker 5: No, it's it's so true. There is totally drama. And one of my mentors and colleagues's name is Rocky Gutierrez. He's done some work looking at owl communities and trying to figure out like how owls can coexist in space. There's a lot of drama out there in the in the.
Speaker 11: Hour so much.
Speaker 4: Speaking of drama, have you seen the acclaimed dramatic film Those Who Wished Me Dead starring Angelinisholei, who as a person who lives in a fire tower.
Speaker 5: No, I have not.
Speaker 4: If you like fires and people being miscast, you will love Those Who Wish Me Dead.
Speaker 5: That's that's my main genre of movie that I like, wonderful miscasting. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 4: If you like to watch a movie in the entire time picture someone else playing the lead role, you will love those who Wish Me Dead? She is absolutely gorgeous. She's a stunner. I love her acting. I don't know why they cast her this movie. It seemed so weird.
Speaker 5: Why they put you in a fire tower?
Speaker 6: Well I'm just lucky, I guess.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Those who Wish Me Dead just so much, so much forest fire and a lot of just breathing through smoke that seems like it should be thicker.
Speaker 6: But you can just you can smell this movie.
Speaker 4: Listen. There are a lot of actors that are suited for certain types of cinematic environments. Okay, Oh, but if you watch it, Medina Sanghor is so good in it that I just looked up her name and then I followed her on Instagram. So some beautiful creature are more well suited to some roles and environments. That's all.
Speaker 6: What about the term pyro diversity? Is that a really Oh?
Speaker 5: Ali, I'm so glad you asked that question. I am street smart and book smart. Yes, so pyrodiversity is something that I've been spending a lot of time thinking about in recent years. It's kind of a fun buzzword, you know, like pyro diversity, Like what does that even mean? Someone made that up, and it's probably because well, somebody did make it up. It basically is another way to think about this fire mosaic that we were talking about earlier. The term pyrodiversity sort of emerged alongside this idea that pyro diversity gives rise to biodiversity. So basically that the more different kinds of fire that we have on the landscape, the more different kinds of severities, the different fire ages. Basically, the greater mixture of different types of fire characteristics that are in a landscape is going to lead to greater biodiversity, which means more species basically, so you have more kinds of wildlife, more kinds of plants, et cetera, more kinds of bees, more kinds of bats, more kinds of birds, et cetera, because you have all sorts of different kinds of habitat for them that's been produced by fire.
Speaker 6: Ah Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, So it's it's an important idea because it it really kind of underlies this important role of fire in these cases with you know, the Dixie Fire and the Bootleg fire, these fires that are really like destructive to human infrastructure and also you know, to people's lives. I mean, this is really serious stuff that is sad and it's hard to watch. But on the other side of the coin, we do need fire on the landscape, right We just we need a different kind of fire. We don't want to see more, you know, of the destructive fires that are out there. We want to see good fire. And what I mean by good fire is really kind of like this pyro diversity idea, where we have a really nice mixture of fire that kind of restores, It cleans out the understory in some places, it kills some trees, It disrupts the system a little bit. You know, some disruption is good, and you create that really sort of wide ranging variety of habitats for different critters to live, and that also supports all sorts of other great things like water quantity and quality. It reduces a runoff, It reinforces the resilience of ecosystems and forests. So like, fire is so good, and it's like, we want that good kind of fire. It's really such a restorative thing. And it's just pyro diversity kind of encompasses this idea of like that beautiful mosaic on the landscape that is always changing. It's not just static. It's always changing, always being renewed. That's the idea of pyrodiversity.
Speaker 4: Huh can I blaze through a lightning round?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Part in the pun, even though I'm not sorry, okay.
Speaker 4: And before your questions. We donate to a cause each episode, and as a forest Service employee, Gavin can't directly endorse anything in particular, so it was my pick this week and a donation will be going to the Common Good Community Foundation. They have established a matching fund to assist all local communities impacted by the Dixie Fire, and all donations will be distributed to Plumous County agencies involved in directly assisting communities and individuals most affected by the fire. More info is up at common Goood Plumas dot org and that donation was made possible by sponsors of the show.
Speaker 1: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all day plan from board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on mule fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five euro welcome bonus switch today at board gash Energy dot Ie Board Gosh Energy.
Speaker 2: Know your Power, estimating annual bill of twenty six hundred and twenty nine euro new customers only. Thirst percentis kent off smart all day electricity unit rates in twenty nine percent of gassa unit rates. Sportcash Energy dot E for fullties and c's.
Speaker 10: We're freezing prices for two years in the Virgin Media playhouse. Switch to our super fast, reliable broadband now and freeze your prices or law broadband offers for twenty four months from just thirty five euro month with no activation fee. Switch in store or at Virgin Media dot Ie Virgin Media, It's playtime.
Speaker 11: Tcnc's apply subject to availability new broadband customers and twenty four month contracts only. You won't receive a price increase for the duration of this contract. From thirty five year O a month for twenty four months seventy euro thereafter. NS Februar eighteenth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Get value you can't argue with. At Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get a finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six zero like a delicious spicy salami hot honey, and do you or Margarito wood fired pizzas served up with their crispy chunkie chips and ice cream like sea salta caramel or pistagio for dessert. Can't argue with that. Shelping store or online tesco. Every little helps available in most stories, prices varying express.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's tend to your smoldering curiosities. Great question from Nicole d g Marie Charlotte Falcacard, Meghan McLean, Daniel Kim, Liz Gross, Eden, Sunshine, Talia Dunyak. Nicole Kleiman also asked, in Nicole's words, what happens to wildlife when there's a fire? Daniel Kim wants to know are there any animals that have adapted to survive forest fires? And Nicole asks do they all leave? Or are some able to hide or survive in a sneaky way?
Speaker 5: Oh that's so great. That's a great question. So I don't know if I can do a super quick answer to this because too excited about it. But yeah, so how do wildlife respond to wildfire? So here's the thing. It really depends and that's like the greatest you know, scientific smoke and mirrors. Like, hey, it depends, but it really does. Some species like fire, some don't, And it also depends on what kind of fire it is, you know, if it's really severe or mild. So, for example, there's one species that some of my awesome colleagues have worked on. It's called the black backed woodpecker. Many people think of it as a poster child of severely burned forest because it really needs these patches of totally killed trees. It depends on the insects that live in those recently killed trees. It needs those severely burned forests. Several years after those those fires burn and those trees are killed, it's no longer good habitat, Like it's really kind of this short term thing. They flock to these really severely burned places, they totally thrive, and then they are out of there and onto the next fire. So some critters love that, others not so much so. The spotted out all the species that I spent a lot of time studying, it is really kind of more of an old forest obligate. It doesn't love that severely burned stuff quite as much. So basically there are winners and losers, that's the answer.
Speaker 12: Is.
Speaker 5: It's never simple. It's never as simple as you make it. It's not just so all animals are going to die or leave when a fire burns. No, some of them are going to do great and some of them are not. That's like part of the beauty of studying this stuff is like trying to figure out why why do some animals love and some don't? The world is so complex and amazing it's like really fun to try to figure that out.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: And then in terms of where animals go, some animals can escape fires, you know, fly out of the way, run out of the way. I always think of like Bamby movie Bad, Like all the animals are like parading out of the forest. I don't want to ruin Bambi for anybody's but you know, some animals can be a fire even you know, flying critters cannot always fly away from fast moving fires. Some animals will burrow under the ground and wait for the fire to pass and then go back out, which is totally crazy. You should, yeah, it's it's nuts.
Speaker 4: Oooh okay, burrowing critters hiding from fires? My heart burst into flames. So which animals burrow?
Speaker 8: All?
Speaker 4: Right? Some Australian possums hide out in tree hollows, snakes high tail it down a burrow, but wombats also hit the basement during bush fires. And there were a bunch of internet rumors going around last year that they invite and usher other critters in. These rumors spread like wildfire, but they are flim flam. They actually just tolerate other animals hiding out in their wombat doomsday bunkers. But same with gopher tortoises in the US. And to hear all about that, you can amble slowly over to the Testudentology episode with wonderful tortoise scientists Amanda Hips. Now what about rebel birds.
Speaker 5: There are other creatures. There's fire hawks and they're down in Australia and they will actually like pick up burning branches and drop them to burn other parts of their habitat so that they can catch their prey.
Speaker 4: I have heard of these and it sounds so devious. But they even will get together and wait for rodents to run out.
Speaker 5: That's wild. That's just wild. Yeah, there's winners and losers, Like there's such a variety of animals that respond in different ways to fire, and that's just the coolest thing. And that's that's one of the reasons why pyro diversity, going back to pyrodiversity is thought to promote biodiversity because the more kind of variety of fire you have, the more different kinds of animals that are going to benefit from that variety. Right. So, you know, if you have sort of your forest that was killed by trees next to a forest that is totally green and old and you know, decaying almost, we have this big mosaic of different kinds of forests that burn at different times. That's going to support all kinds of different critters. So it's a cool thing.
Speaker 4: Now, that's a good thing. And several people, Rebecca wine Settle, India Land, Nicole Kleinman, Jesse Hurlbert want to know, can I really prevent forest fires? Rebecca asks, or is this just another example of a giant corporation trying to foist responsibility on to individuals. Nicole wants to know what smoking the bear more helpful or harmful to forests?
Speaker 6: What do you think about smoking the bear? Okay liberty to say.
Speaker 5: I think smoky the bear is super cute. I will say that we absolutely can prevent forest fires, not all of them, and we not necessarily should prevent all of them over think about prescribed fires, right, Like, we do want to put some fire in the landscape. But as I mentioned before, a giant majority, like eighty seven percent, between eighty ninety percent, humans cause eighty seven percent of all wildfire occurrences annually within the western US. Like, that's crazy, that's a big number. Yeah, and a lot of those you can go look this up. There's this a couple studies out there that have shown, you know, these gigantic spikes of fire activity on the fourth of July every year.
Speaker 7: Oh, Like, we.
Speaker 5: Absolutely play a role in ignitions. A very small percentage of all of the ignitions result in those really big, big fires. Of course, many of the fires that ignite don't burn everything up, but we absolutely as people can be careful about how we burn. I think that Smoky the bear is just misunderstood, Okay, you know, like because it's true. You know, we we as people, like, we absolutely do start fires. We start unintended, unplanned fires that sometimes result in really devastating circumstances. There's sort of this perception that all fire is bad among some people. And maybe I don't know, I don't know if smoking the bears associated with that or not. But you know, all fire is not bad, Like fire is so important, and the reason why some fire is really bad right now and particularly is because we haven't had the kind of fire on the landscape that is natural in a lot of these systems.
Speaker 4: So a lot of patrons looking at you, Michael Davis, Peter Ashley, herbel Sebastian Pepino. First time question asker is Karla Jerez and Ada Smith, Schandra Mason, Bennett Gerber. They all essentially asked.
Speaker 6: What do we do it?
Speaker 4: Should firefighting teams approach it more strategically, like let it burn twenty five miles over here, but let's stop it here, or at this point, like what do we even do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So that is such a difficult and vexing question that much smarter people than me are like thinking really really hard about. So I don't want to make any like really poorly informed statements about how firefighters should be doing their job, because they're doing an incredible job. But I'll say generally, there's there's many times when fires are burning and there's a decision made to let the fire burn on its own for a little while when it is deemed to be safe. Right, So especially in areas where there's not as many people and you know, like kind of more wilderness type areas, because fires can do some of that work for us, to restore the natural structure of a system. So fires can be really restorative, especially in those cases when we think it's going to burn in a quote unquote healthy way or a natural way and there aren't people who are in danger. So that's kind of the idea of those managed wildfires. Just you know, when wildfires burning, we're kind of trying to manage them as opposed to to just put them out or suppress them.
Speaker 4: And from smoky the bear, let's move on to goats. Ashley Nton and Leanne Schuster literally both started their questions goats, both of them please tell us about how goats are used to help produce fire risk in areas with excess vegetation, And Ashley says, I mean a few hours and they chewed down most of the pasture.
Speaker 6: Can goats save us? Man?
Speaker 5: I wish goats could just save us. That would be so great. Just hand it all over to them. Yeah, I'm sure they've they've got it figured out. No, but I actually don't know about goats being used in wildfire management. That could just be my naivity, so I'll pump that one.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right?
Speaker 4: Goats. I tried to rent some for my hillside about two years ago, and it was a minimum, sadly of five acres and I just moved in and it was too soon to ask my neighbors if they wanted to go in on a goat hert with me. I didn't want to come on so strong. But there are businesses like goatsarus dot com that'll rent them out. I thought this was a pretty common practice, hiring goats to eat your overgrown grass, because when I was in high school in northern California, a lot of neighbors did that. And then I read the faq on goats rs dot com and what this business started in the tiny town I went to high school in around the time I was in high school. Holy literal smokes. As far as coincidences go, it's the greatest of all time. Okay, So this next smokey query was asked by plenty of folks, including patrons Hannah Aussi, Alana wood firefighter supporter, Lousey Martinez, Charlie Cacamo. First time question asker, Ashley Martinez, Nina eve Zeininger asthmetic Ada Smith, Joseph and Katie Coast.
Speaker 6: Let's see.
Speaker 4: Dylan McGuire says, I live in eastern Washington where smoke has become the fifth season. When will we have the giant forest rakes mentioned by Donald Trump?
Speaker 6: And they spent a.
Speaker 3: Lot of time on breaking and cleaning and doing things.
Speaker 6: And do we need to rake the forest?
Speaker 5: So you know this this is I think again, this is this is just a misunderstanding. So going back to smoke, this is a real problem. Right. We don't like being exposed to smoke. You remember, I'm sure I don't know Ali, if this happened where you were. I think this was up in the in the Bay Area. Yeah, last year you probably remember seeing all of our social media those pictures of you know, San Francisco being just like Orange is like some blade runner or something. The problem with smoke is that you know it's going to be there, It's going to happen. If we're living in a in a system that has fire, and that where we need to have fire, we're going to also have smoke. That's that's just a part of a part of it, right, Where there's fire, there's smoke. The real important question is how do we want our smoke? You know, And and that's that's how some people are trying to think about this problem of smoke, because it is a real serious public health problem, right with these sort of unplanned big quote unquote mega fires that happen all of a sudden, get a ton of smoke we didn't know it was coming. It disrupts our lives and puts us at risk. And there's a lot of smoke right that happens. Just this past week or two, I saw people on Twitter, you know, out on the East coast saying that they had, you know, they were getting some smoke from some of the wildfires in the West. That kind of unpredictable nature is I think for many people not desirable, Okay, And so the idea is if we can use more prescribed and planned fires, and more cultural and indigenous fires where we know when the smoke is coming, it's a lower amount. It's like, you know, less smoke in general is come in our way at any given time, but maybe a little more often. You know, those are kind of the two options, right We can either sort of have our smoke in big pulses when we don't know it's coming, or we can try to make it a little more predictable.
Speaker 4: It seems like the whares and the why are important here.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right for sure.
Speaker 4: Yes, what about Maria Shuavleva wants to know underground wildfires? I understand how they start, but how do they keep going? How is there enough oxygen for some to last for years? How deep do they go? Jeremiah Miller says, what's the strangest place there's been a wildfire?
Speaker 6: They're underground?
Speaker 5: Some Yeah, some fires do burn underground. It's kind of crazy. Who So. One of the interesting kind of related phenomenon that I've witnessed is sometimes in these areas that have recently burned, you come across a gigantic hole in the ground, like just a giant hole. There's no tree, there's trees around you, and then there's just a gigantic hole in the ground. Okay, when I started doing this work in these post fire landscapes, I was like, what in the heck is going on here? And I started asking around, and these are basically trees that have burned and kept burning and smoldering and smoldering and the smoldering fire continued down through their root system underground, throughout the whole root system, and maybe they'll they'll even pop up somewhere else, like you know, a little ways away where the root kind of pops back up onto the ground. And basically these are like gigantic casts for trees, right like where the tree and its roots used to be. So fires can absolutely burn, you know, in a subterranean way. I've seen some of these sort of root holes following fire, which is just kind of wild to see.
Speaker 4: It is wild to see, and I know because I just watched a ton of videos of smoldering, flickering root systems. They can burn for weeks, months, maybe even through a whole season, and the fire will just pop up somewhere else. Also, somewhere in Pennsylvania, there is an abandoned Centralia coal mine that's been on fire since nineteen sixty two X. Let's say there was enough fuel to just keep it burning for two hundred and fifty years. No one knows what to do. They just all left town except for five people who still live there. They're like, we're not going anywhere, Like that's cool, But yes, fires, underground flames flames, breathing, heaving.
Speaker 6: Oh man, I didn't even know that was possible.
Speaker 4: I would not have thought that that is bananas ough. Some of y'all patrons, Lizzy mar bushfire asker, Brandy Harbaugh, first time question asker, longtime lurker, Adriana Alfaro, and want to know what can we expect the normal amount of wildfires to be? Is there a normal? They all want to know numerically, how much worse are big wildfires gonna get? Give us numbers. We need numbers.
Speaker 5: So you know, if you look at how fires have changed in the last thirty forty years, we have seen a lot more fire activity now than we did ten, fifteen, twenty years ago, forty years ago. So one of my colleagues I just mentioned a moment ago, is named Sean Parks with US for a service and one of his colleagues, they put out a study recently showing that between nineteen eighty five and twenty seventeen there was an eight fold increase in area that burned at high severity on an annual basis in the western US. Eight So there is certainly a lot more large fires now, and there's also when those those fires are burning more severely now than they did thirty five or so years ago, thirty five forty years ago. But that's like the sort of small scale context. But then if you zoom back out and look at sort of the whole context of the last several thousand years, we are seeing less fire now than we did way back when it's a different kind of fire that's burning, right, that's not necessarily natural in some of these systems. And then also we are we are experiencing more of the effects of fire than we ever have as humans, and the negative effects because we're living in these fire prone areas where for a long time, it was you know, somewhat safe to live, right because fires weren't burning that much for the last hundred years in a lot of these areas because you're pretty good at putting them out. But now that those fires are burning more severely and more intensely and we're living there and we have the news to cover it all the time, yeah, we certainly are hearing about it more, right, and it is having a serious impact on people, as you know, you know, there's all sorts of really tragic stories of these fires burning through towns. In one of those towns just you know, the Dixie Fire I believe, burned through Greenville, California, in the last day or two. And that's an incredibly tragic thing to have happened. And right like we are, we are living in a world that's really different.
Speaker 4: Now, right, I know, it's kind of like top of mind for everyone. I feel like when you say, oh, I live in California, people ask you, like, is your sitting on fire?
Speaker 6: And you're like, I don't know, let me check Twitter.
Speaker 5: I just texted one of my friends who lives in California be like, are you guys, where are you? Are you okay? Are you burning?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So yeah, literally, b BITPB like this just in. According to an NPR report that dropped about an hour ago, the US Four Service just announced that wildfires will be aggressively extinguished this summer and all the preventative controlled burns are suspended. Apparently fire season is predicted to be so bad they can't spare any of the thousands of firefighters on the ground to go do prescribed burns. Kind of like not being able to go to bed because you have a paper due, but then you can't finish the paper because you're too tired. Something's got to change. Tune in next week for more on that. Now, on the topic of heavy hearts amid blazing wildfires, is there anything that is the most difficult thing about being a fire ecologist. I mean, I already the idea of like a charred owl leg is going to hurt my heart until the day I die.
Speaker 6: But anything that is just really frustrating or difficult for you, hm.
Speaker 5: I would say that one of the frustrating things is just how difficult this problem is. It's it's just such a big problem, and sometimes it's hard to sort of feel like we can get out of it. I'm I like to call myself a reckless optimist. I don't think, you know, for me, like the glass is not half full, it's like, oh my god, it's almost overflowing. It's like, you know, we can do this, you guys, like we can totally do this. This is such a difficult problem. It seems like we're facing the same problems every year. But I think that there there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and that light has to do with getting more of that good fire on the landscape, and that's something that I know is a priority for the agency. I work for the US four Service and trying to restore the resiliency of these forests. And I think, like what I the sort of nugget of goodness that I try to take is that we, as you know, at least on my side, the science side of this agency, we have this incredible opportunity to learn about this, you know, about fires, why they burn, how they burn, what their consequences are, and what we can do about it. And we get to work with the managers and the people who are again out doing that stuff on the ground. We've got our hands on some of the levers. We can make a positive impact, and we can make a change in you know, how these fires are burning, even as we're thinking about you know, these bigger problems like climate change. We can put our fingers on the on the lever a little bit, and so there's a huge opportunity in the coming decades to make a big difference in sort of the next century of fire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how do you think an average joe like myself sitting around biting my nails at the news, what can we do?
Speaker 13: You know?
Speaker 5: I would say, follow Smokey the Bear's advice, So we'll put him on the pedestal for a minute and say just you know, watch out for yourself and make sure that you are not contributing to any of the problems with you know, these unplanned ignitions and fires. That's one thing you can do. So you know, maybe try to avoid you know, explosive gender reveal parties. Uh, you know that's good. Probably not do that. You know, don't be throwing your cigarettes out, and don't drive your car anything on dry grass and things like that. You know, like there's there's little little things like that you can do. But this is a big problem and it takes both sort of individuals to make sure they're you know, not starting these these unplanned fires, but also these big sort of institutional actions and management to fight this problem. So it's you know, I would say, don't don't bite your nails down to the to the bone. Just make sure you're not the one who's starting that fire.
Speaker 4: Okay, good to know. Don't start any fires. Don't try to impress any ex girlfriends.
Speaker 5: Yes, don't buy starting are going to be impressed.
Speaker 6: Not going to be impressed.
Speaker 4: The gender reveal party couple who started a fire last year in November were charged with manslaughter for a firefighter's death, and that lovelorn arsonist of the twenty fourteen kingfire sentenced twenty years in prison and ordered to somehow pay sixty million dollars to victims of the crime. So imagine what you could do with sixty million dollars and twenty years of your life. Yeah, I think twice before doing any hornt up fire tumfoolery.
Speaker 5: Just get it. Just get them a cupcake or something with.
Speaker 6: Get them a cupcake. Do that, don't be on the news.
Speaker 4: What about your favorite thing about fire ecology, Like, is it putting puzzles together?
Speaker 6: Is it being out in the field.
Speaker 5: I would say my favorite part about being a fire ecologist is similar to my favorite part about being a scientist, which is just that we it's the world is infinitely more complex than we think it is, and I learn new things every day about what's going on with these and how animals are responding. My preconceptions are always just kind of blown out of the water whenever I start digging into this stuff. So it's just such a wonderfully rich world out there, and fire is such a critical part of that whole system, and so being able to step into that complexity and try and just use my little you know, pick to chip away at one corner of that you know, vast unknown in the world of fire ecology is just the greatest honor and pleasure. I've got three little kids, and you know, I when I sit down on my computer and start clacking away every day, I'm partly thinking, like, what can I do to make this world better than I, you know, than when I came into it. And you know, sometimes it may seem that my little corner of the world is insignificant, but yeah, I like to think that that me and all my wonderful colleagues within my agency and outside of it as well, work in this area. We're all pulling in the same direction. We're trying to, you know, make this world a better place as well, and get that good fire back on the landscape and try and yeah, change the game a little bit.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it so much. I'm glad that you are not currently in the middle.
Speaker 6: Of a fire.
Speaker 4: Me too, And thank you for talking to me during obviously a very very busy time for firefolks.
Speaker 5: It's been my pleasure, absolutely.
Speaker 12: So.
Speaker 4: Yes, fire off your birding questions to the coolest nerds. Out there. That is what we do, and stay tuned for a special follow up episode next week. Cross your fingers. I can make it happen anyway. Learn more about doctor Gavin Jones by following him on Twitter at Ecology of Gavin. We are on there also at Ologies and I'm on there Ali Ward with one l same handles on Instagram. Come be our friends. Feel free to support the show for a dollar a month if you'll like it at patreon dot com. Slash Ologies Merch is available at ologiesmerch dot com. Thank you Shannon Felts and Bonnie Dutch of the podcast You Are That for managing merch. Thank you Aaron Talbert for admitting the Ologies podcast Facebook group. Thank you to Emily White of the Wordery for making the transcripts. Caleb Patton bleeps them and those are all available for free at the link in the show notes. Every other Thursday we also release new Smologies. They are edited down, short, clean, classroom friendly versions of your favorite episodes. Thank you to Zeke Rodriguez Thomas of mind Jam Media for editing those big. Thanks to Kelly Dwyer for website design. If you need a website, She's your gal. Link in the show notes to her Thanks Noel Dilworth and Susan Hale for keeping the schedules running and for social media Quizzz and Merch Monday posts. Thank you to Main Squeeze and Hottest Hell editor Jared Sleeper of Mindjam Media for putting it all together and of course longtime editing help Stephen Ray Morris of the podcast The per Cast and See Jurassic Right. Nick Thorburn wrote and performed the theme music. He's in a band called Islands. They have a new album out Alamania. And if you listen to the end, you know I tell you a secret. And this week's secret is sometimes if I need a brain break, I'll go on Craigslist and I'll just click the free section to see what people are given away, so you could see things that people just put up there are free, and I just sometimes like to look and see what people are getting rid of, and then I try to figure out, like what a life story is for that, Like why is this person giving away like a ballerina statue? What's up with this wheelbarrow? Let's look at a couple right now? You want to Okay, okay, let's see what's up there? Oh, there's two guinea pigs, and it just says need gone. Damn, that is the meanest way to give a guinea pig. No, I just want to get these guinea pigs. I have ten guinea pigs needed for pickup. I can no longer take care of them, and we'll have to release them if I cannot find anyone to pick them up. Yikes, if anyone needs guinea pigs in LA, I don't mean to make that so sad. Vintage artists portfolio case. Did they quit being an artist? I don't know. I hope not. Oh, here's a six foot pine ladder. I don't need one, but it's fun to look a lot of free pianos on here. Again, I don't want or need these things, but sometimes it's just nice to wonder how that person get the piano in the first place, and why don't they play it anymore? Anyway, I love when people I love when people spare things from landfills and other people get things for free. What can I say? Ooh, tap shoes, okay, brybye, pacodermatology, bombiology, cryptozoology, lithology, new technology, meteorology, matology, ethnology, zeiology, ethology. So how could we have avoided all of that. You're asking, please enjoy Indigenous virocology. Oh it's so good, Pass it on. Oh hey, it's that incense that reminds your freshman year so much that you can only smell it sometimes because you don't want the nostalgia to fade. Ali Ward back with a follow up as promised episode of Ologies that serves as a companion piece to last week's fire Ecology episode. So perhaps listen to that one first, come here from more context, or don't. Ultimately, none of my beeswax. Okay, so just a little behind the scenes on this one's format. Format is a little different than what you're used to. I spoke with this ologist while she was up in the wilderness of Canada on vacation, and the internet was spotty. So the first ten minutes or so, it's not the finest quality audio we've ever had on Ologies, but we did our best, and then she sent some standalone recordings answering more questions, and then after the break we're featuring excerpts from her own indigenous fire ecology podcast, Good Fire with Matt Christoff. Making this a real community effort and a fire mosaic episode. Indeed, So this ologist got her master's and PhD and hazard management and fire science and works as a fire social scientist for the Canadian Forest Service. She is a meytea woman from Treaty six Territory on land now known as Canada, and has authored papers such as social science Research on Indigenous wildfire management in the twenty first century and future research needs. So she is well schooled on this. And then I saw she has a podcast called Good Fire, recorded with Matt Christoff, who also hosts the Your Forest podcast. So this ologist was on vacation. I desperately wanted to chat with her the one week she was trying to relax, but she luckily was very up to take a little break and chat amid spotty internet and some techtifs. Huge thanks to Matt for getting us in touch and for lending us excerpts from Your Forest and Good Fire to a future. Also thank you to everyone at Patreon dot com slash Ologies for making the show possible. This episode was informed by the questions you left about indigenous fire stewardship. And thanks to everyone who rates and reviews a podcasts It matters more than you will ever know, and I read them all so I can prove it with a fresh shout out for one left this week, such as Sarah ib who wrote, I started listening to this podcast and got to the gynecological episode and decided to make my first obgyn appointment after turns out I have endometrial cancer. I had a hysterectomy and I'm currently doing radiation therapy. Thank you, Dad Ford for this informative podcast. Sarah, what what sending you the biggest, biggest hugs and the best vibes for a speedy defeat of that, and thank you for getting checked out. Okay, onward to the episode. Etymology is simple. Indigenous means native fire has a root meaning fire and ecology the study of where we live. So we'll be covering cultural burns, drip torches, forest debris, healthy trees, the legality of indigenous fire stewardship, fighting fires with strategy, napping on the fire line, evacuations and more with Fire Scientist Advocate podcast host Canadian Forest Service employee, scholar and Indigenous fire ecologist doctor Amy Christiansen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no problem at all.
Speaker 8: It's great too to have so much.
Speaker 9: Attention on this topic as well.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's wonderful wonderful to have you. So, now, are you at the top of a mountain right now trying to get cell service?
Speaker 9: No, I'm actually at my parents' cabin, but they do not have great internet. But does it sound okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds great so far.
Speaker 9: Literally, they're at like the very north end of a lake called Shoeshwap Lake, and currently we're actually surrounded by three fires as well.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And is that an area that you're pretty familiar with? Has your family been there for a long time?
Speaker 9: Yeah, my parents have this cabin that we've had in our family I think for about thirty years now.
Speaker 4: Have you seen a change at all in how the summers go in terms of say, being surrounded by fire.
Speaker 9: So the area that we're in is actually kind of a rainforest area. We always kind of jokingly refer to it as that, and we used to get so much rain out here in the summer. In probably the last ten years, we've noticed it's been getting warmer in this area and we've been getting less rain and even the cedars are really starting to not look as healthy. And then the last probably five years, we've had more summers of smoke. So it's really been yeah, I've really noticed the change just even in my lifetime.
Speaker 4: And how long have you been studying fire? How long had you been a fire scientist.
Speaker 9: I grew up in northern Alberta. There's always kind of fires around my family, although we didn't kind of have the connection. We were disconnected from cultural burning practices, but my family was kind of always, you know, a bit involved than fire, and my husband's a wildland firefighter, and yeah, just growing up it seemed like kind of a normal thing in the north. And when I moved down south to an urban center, that was when I really realized, you know, that other people didn't have that, or you know, we weren't so used to that. I guess I started actually as a geologist, but I always loved hazards, but more volcanic hazards and things that I was interested in. So I did two years actually in New Zealand, where I did my masters on volcanic hazard management. But you know, I always kind of feel like bound to the forest in Alberta. So I ended up kind of coming back. And I even said to my PhD supervisor, like, you know, I'll study anything but fire. You know, I don't want to have fire in my life because I just you know, it was around it all the time and wanted something different. But yeah, kind of slowly got pulled back into the field. And yeah, I've been at the Canadian Forest Service now for about ten years.
Speaker 5: Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, what is your what is your work like? And have you grown to appreciate it it all? Are you still like fire? Here we are again, you and me fire?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: No, I think yeah, it's kind of one of those things you have to realize that maybe you're just like I don't know, I don't want to say destined to be, but you know, I think that living in the North, it's just you know, I think that you have that experience with fire and seeing it around you. And that's one thing I always find interesting is when I meet, you know, other fire scientists who aren't, you know, from areas that experience fire, and I think sometimes it's may be hard for them to relate, especially when we're talking about fire risk and kind of how people act during a fire event.
Speaker 4: So one of doctor Christensen's areas of research and work is studying evacuations. So when to leave your home with just a few possessions and your life for what might be the last time. And it's something that she says fire scientists who haven't grown up around fire and had to themselves evacuate might not understand. And if you listened to last week's episode, I mentioned that my parents lived in the remote Sierra Nevadas for years and coercing them to evacuate during the King Fire was not easy, even with the promise of a night or two at the fantasy end with a mirrored ceiling.
Speaker 9: When I first started on at the Canadian for Service, there was like no interest really in indigenous fire management or cultural burning practices or indigenous firefighters. So I would say it was like a very lonely kind of first five or six years. And so most of my colleagues are actually international folks, so mainly folks from actually California and Australia who are in this field as well. But I think like pretty much since we've started having the big fire events in Canada, that's really what's forced people to kind of look at maybe a different way of looking at fire on the landscape. My interest in fire is also tied to like my own family's histories, so my family's Mayti. So we're from northern Alberta, the Cardinal and Labcan families, and we kind of had like a weird kind of disconnection from culture, which in most mate families in Canada actually experience during colonization, and so it's basically we weren't allowed to practice any of our traditions and other things. It's interesting to me because it almost parallels fire in a way. So when settler's you know, first came to Canada, one of the first things that they brought with them was actually fire suppression. And as they moved kind of west across Canada, they basically just put into place fire suppression policies wherever they went. And the big reason for that was, you know that they saw the forest as this wilderness is this kind of natural place. But really now we know, like and lots of scientific studies now are pointing out that that wasn't natural, Like many of those areas were actually stewarded by indigenous people to look that way. Actually, the first fire suppression campaign was in sixteen ten in Newfoundland in Canada, where that was like kind of the first you know, enactment of you know, thou shelt not light fires on the landscape.
Speaker 4: Amy says that she's from northern Alberta and there were only two fire rangers for the entire province.
Speaker 9: So even though they had like a fire suppression policy, you know, those guys couldn't be everywhere obviously, so there was still a lot of cultural burning that went on. So I would say that in where I'm from, it really only kind of stopped or halted around the sixties or the seventies where fire really stopped being allowed on the landscape in the north. And what we've seen with that, you know, is just a massive increase in fuel loading and also kind of these like monoculture forests where there are the stands are you know, all one species, like all similar age, and they're really vulnerable to pest. There's other disturbances like fire, and so we're getting these massive, big fire events that have come through. And so for indigenous people, you know, like my family and others, they my family were actually buffalo hunters and they used fire in the buffalo hunt, but also afterwards to improve the habitat for buffalo and other things that to help them in their hunting. When the settlers started coming across and saying like no you can't do this, like you don't know as much as us, Like, you know, it really devalued Indigenous people and their knowledge. And then when you add into that, you know, we had residential schools in Canada where Indigenous people you know, were sent there and basically told you know that you know, it said they were savages, that their way of knowing their family, of knowing the earth wasn't proper, and you know that they had to learn this new way that was much better. So we like my colleague fives A Mulla, he was telling me that they called that like a cultural severance activity, where basically you're just told that, you know, suddenly you know, you cannot practice your culture anymore. And so the impacts of that are just massive on people, not only on like, you know, their ability to use fire, but also just on who they are as a person, their pride and their family and other things. And so I too, like even now, I still have a lot of anger about that, and you know how I wasn't able to learn from my elders about landscape, stewardship and other things because of that, you know, like kind of dominant Western worldview.
Speaker 4: Do you know or has there been research into how much of that knowledge is lost.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so, actually Henry and Lewis, who is a researcher, He actually started in California but then was at the University of Alberta.
Speaker 4: Doctor Henry T. Lewis aka Hank was an anthropology professor at the University of Alberta and was one of the first researchers to really document indigenous fire stewardship and its role in shaping the landscape. And he wrote the paper A Time for Burning. It was published in nineteen eighty two and a PDF to it is linked on my site. It's typewritten on a typewriter. It's wild and it details all of the different biomes and how indigenous cultures shaped them with fire and if you're like no reading, need visuals. He also made a sixteen millimeters documentary titled The Fires Spring.
Speaker 3: All of this was managed by people who had developed a complex technology of fire to assure a continued successful adjustment to the Northern Royal Forest.
Speaker 4: Somehow this ended up on YouTube.
Speaker 9: Hank God he went up and worked with the woodland kreen Denny people in northern Alberta. So actually kind of where my family's from as well, and what he was saying was in the nineteen seventies when he did his work that he thought that between ninety and ninety five percent of that knowledge had been lost. So I mean that was now, like it's hard to believe it almost fifty years ago, right when that was happening. So for me, like I often hear people say in meetings like you know, oh well, indigenous knowledge is inapplicable to today and cultural burning practices because you know, now we have climate change, like now there's more values on the landscape in terms of thinking about structures and other things. But I always argue against that because for me, like it's not about like indigenous people, like we're alive today, we're part of society, like we see all these things, like indigenous people are on the front lines of climate change, Like of course we don't. That's occurring. And you know, indigenous knowledge, the most beautiful thing about it is how adaptable it is to the local environment. So like, for like, because you know you're living in that environment, you're dependent on it.
Speaker 4: Okay, So Amy's internet cut out again, so we tried a new way of recording just via the phone and her laptop, and it sounds much better, which is great so clear. In fact, you may even be able to discern the pitter pattern of children's footsteps on the cabin stairs as her family vacationed around her.
Speaker 7: Hi, maybe this will work.
Speaker 12: I can hear you great at home. It's funny because I have a pretty good setup with a podcasting microphone, headphones, And of course I'm like, oh, it's this week when I'm gone, but no worries.
Speaker 4: But where were we? Yes, that indigenous fire knowledge is starting to get more attention as climate change worsens and larger fires erupt And as a fire scientist, what is her workday?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 12: Sure, yeah, So with my job with the CFS, I most fire research scientists, I say, kind of do the same thing. So we have our research projects that we run or that we're a part of. So a lot of my day is actually kind of meeting about research and other things that are going on. So really similar to like you know, an academic researcher from a university. But then as well, we also kind of have the policy or the government side, So I said, on a lot of like national or international committees or working groups you know, looking at fire and trying to direct policy we just recently in Canada finished the Blueprint for Wildland Fire Science for twenty nineteen to twenty twenty nine, so looking at, you know, topics that we should really be spending money basically in time doing research on. And one of those the themes from that was actually on indigenous fires. So we also have an evacuation database actually with the Canadian for Service, where we've tracked wildfire evacuations in Canada since nineteen eighty. So during this summer, like that's one thing is that we have like lots of our staff working on that doing data entry into it. Yeah, it's a big job this summer. Like in twenty twenty, I think we only had twenty different evacuations in Canada, but this year I think we're already at one hundred and twenty five different evacuation events. So it's a huge job.
Speaker 4: So this Blueprint for a Wildland Fire Science in Canada twenty nineteen to twenty twenty nine outlines, in its own words, a business case to increase investment in wildland fire science. And it is fifty seven pages of really great strategies covering themes like understanding fire in a changing world, recognizing Indigenous knowledge and enhancing knowledge exchange mechanisms to improve the ways in which wildland fire science and technology are shared, understood, and implemented. So Amy's team had been working on that, and for the curious, I will link to the full pdf on my website. Now, as far as the increasing evacuations, that issue gets more personal as this episode unfolds, even more personal than my parents in an hourly motel in Rynow, and this is something I think a lot of people have trouble wrapping their brain around. And maybe there is no good answer. But is it climate change? Is it human ignition and carelessness? Is it not letting the forest burn as it naturally would? How do you scientists come up with plans to tackle this issue? If it's kind of like a trifle problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 12: It's just such a complex issue. I mean, there's also the fact that people are just building more in you know, areas that are of higher risk to fire. You know, as communities get larger and kind of expand out into what you know, some people call the wildline urban interface, it's really increasing fire risks.
Speaker 7: I think that that's the hard thing too.
Speaker 12: Is that there's no like magic bullet solution, right, like even with cultural burning, like you know, I'm such a strong proponent of getting that back on the ground, but that doesn't at all tackle you know, how vulnerable some homes and other things are to fire at the moment.
Speaker 4: Climate change, she said, is also a pretty big frickin deal.
Speaker 12: But the one thing you know that I think locally, like you know, in our towns and stuff, that we can control is the fuels that are available to burn. And so that's why, you know, I think that cultural burning or landscape level fuel management as well as the community wildfire mitigation is so important to do in combination. And lately too, I've been seeing I don't know if you are seeing in the States as much, but in Canada there's a bit of a movement to just kind of you know, fireproof communities or you know, keep homes or you know, structures safe from fire. But to me, that's really missing the point of like the landscape around your home. Like for me, I don't want to be living, you know, if my home is standing in like the middle of you know, a black and landscaping. In Canada, it can take a long time for the forest to regenerate sometimes, you know, twenty thirty forty years and even then they're finding up north in the boreal forest that burns or just so hot that they're basically kind of killing the soil and any vegetation around. So, yeah, it's quite a complex issue. But I think when I think as an indigenous person, I look at the forest, I don't just see it as trees or timber values or other things. You see it as like part of who you are, right like your relations So you want to be able to, you know, steward and protect that area as much as you do you know, your own home or structure.
Speaker 4: And can you describe a little bit about prescribed fires and indigenous fire stewardship versus cultural burns. I think a lot of people maybe want to lump them in together, but can you describe a little bit about how they work or what they are.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so there's a bit of a danger of that this whole thing now where we're seeing prescribed fire and just kind of throwing cultural burning into that. So prescribe fire is you know, generally what agencies do, so where they're setting fire on the landscape, but in many cases they're setting you know, high severity fires.
Speaker 5: It's burning really fast.
Speaker 12: And they want to burn a lot of land in a little bit of time. So we see like lots of aerial ignition of fires.
Speaker 7: We see them using you.
Speaker 12: Know, basically like helicopter ignition, and in Canada, like lots of times people put that together as you know, being a crown fire being these big, bad, kind of out of control fires that are burning up you know, mountain sides. That's generally the media that we see in Canada about prescribed fire, but it really differs from cultural burning because cultural burning is more about achieving a cultural objective around the forest around where you live. So you don't really want to have these big, large, standard placing fires that go through and and can kill everything in a prescribed fire event. That sometimes is what happens in Canada. Yeah, so for culture fire too, the thing is that most fires are actually pretty low intensity. In Australia they call them like slow burns or cool burns, and they generally move through the understory and they're done it certain times of year where the potential fire behavior is very low risks. So you know where you're not getting, you know, potential of crown fire. There's lots of natural fuel breaks around the fire in Canada that's usually snow still on the ground. For Indigenous people, cultural burning too, is like a family a community activity, So like when I'm doing burns and things.
Speaker 7: Like, I take my daughters. My mom was on the last one that we did.
Speaker 4: There's a great photo that's run in a few news articles about Amy's work, and she's standing in a golden grassy field. It's hazy with smoke as a cultural burn grass fire she's overseeing lurches behind her, and there's a husky wolfy dog sitting to her right staring off. And Amy's wearing black leggings and a red flannel shirt and is pregnant with would be her second daughter. So the mood is very calm, unlike what most people's experience of land on fire might be.
Speaker 12: Lots of times, you know, we don't wear personal protective equipment, you know, like the kind of gnomes that you usually see firefighters wearing, because usually the fires are honestly just so slow and most people find them I think a bit boring too, because it can take a really long time to burn a really small piece of land, and so for agencies it doesn't really work well, right because that for them means more staffing, dollars and other things.
Speaker 7: To achieve, like you know, a smaller area burned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when it comes to how much fuel is in some of the forests, now that would be too much for say a prescribed burn maybe to tackle I'm reading like there's so much you know, dead timber and fallen timber because we've suppressed fire for so long, Like where does fire management even begin? And to kind of tackle that issue.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's it is a big issue, and I think people often get overwhelmed, Like I just hear you know all the time.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's so complex.
Speaker 12: There's so many things and so many people's competing values. But I think that we often lose the focus on like local communities. So in Canada, our first nations have reserves, and so if you go on to a reserve, many times, like when you speak to the elders and other people, like they know what needs to be done in their area, Like they know if certain areas are too fuel loaded, and you know, they want to go in there and kind of mechanically treat the forest, so you know, by using machines and labor to go in and do thinning and other things before they can burn to kind of keep the fuel load low in those areas. So I think for me that's that the biggest thing is that we really need to go back to kind of these local solutions to fire and that's really kind of what our research is showing that, you know, local people want to be involved. So you know, I talk mostly about indigenous peoples, but you know, ranchers, farmers, other people who you know use the landscape for their livelihood, they also you know, really want to have a healthy forest and environment around them, and they know the areas too, and even forestry companies. Like the one nice thing about cultural burning is that because we're doing kind of these low understory burns, like we don't want to burn the nice, big, healthy trees, right because those are so important for cultural activities and for other other like our relations other animals. It's actually really nicely works together because you kind of can get cultural burns going through and really removing some of that dead fall and promoting those healthy big tree growth that like the timber companies love.
Speaker 4: And obviously this is something that is a family issue for you two, having you know, being married to someone who is a firefighter. Point did you decide to spread the word about good fire. And the term good fire too is something that I'm I kind of just learned too. Can you talk a little bit about what good fire is?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 12: So if good fire I think comes just from the idea that you know, it's very obvious that we can have good fires on the landscape. You know that fire is something that is helpful to the environment and to people. And so I think Indigenous people lots of times see fire almost in a dichotomy, so kind of you know, these bad fires and then the good fire that we can use as a tools. But before colonization, indigenous people would use fire on the landscape in good ways. But then also we did have lightning fires obviously back then, right, but they would come across the landscape and kind of enter into this mosaic landscape that these indigenous burns and other lightning cause fires like, and so as they would enter them, then the fire behavior would change. So as you know, it entered a meadow, the fire intensity might decrease, and then it would go back into the forest and maybe increase, and then it would hit like a deciduous stand of trees and go down again. And so this mosaic or patchwork on the landscape was actually really helpful for fire to kind of decrease the intensity of these fire events. But what we're seeing right now is because we've been suppressing those fire events, there's just so much fuel in the forest that we're seeing these bad fires. So even like I'm thinking like the Dixie Fire in California right now, or we have like multiple fires in Canada at the moment too that are bad fires. Like lots of times, you know, we look at and say, oh, fire's natural, there's good ecologic benefits. But for me, there's nothing good about these current fires happening right now.
Speaker 4: So at this point, our FaceTime call cut out because of spotty internet, so Amy recorded a clip answering a few more questions because she is the best and knew that we only had a few days until this went up, and she's once again the best.
Speaker 12: I also just wanted to mention the importance of indigenous people in fire in Canada but also in other countries. You know, we often think about indigenous people in fire management as something that happened in the past, but we have a lot of amazing indigenous firefighters in Canada, Indigenous fire managers and other people who are really, you know, on the front lines trying to bring back good fire and indigenous fire stewardship and really out there every summer kind of protecting our communities from these bad fires, and especially in Canada, lots of times there we don't give enough attention, I think to those indigenous firefighters. Lots of times they're kept kind of from progressing in their careers because they might not have the appropriate Western education levels, you know, a degree or a diploma or something, but they have you know, might have twenty thirty forty years experience of being on the fire and so knowledgeable and incredible. And I think, you know, a lots of times we need to look at where Western science as well got some of its ideas. Like I've spoken to many elders who've told me about drip torches and how they would use tree limbs and sap to create their own drip torches. That's what their ancestors did and how they would spread fire across the landscape was in doing that. So now you know, it's a metal canister with fuel in it, but it's kind of the same idea that indigenous people's had about how to use fire. Properly on the land, and just this incredible knowledge base and people in the communities, you know, had roles. In Canada, some nations actually had families that were fire keepers. There were many people who knew about fire and had knowledge about fire activity.
Speaker 4: After the break, you'll hear a clip from Good Fire podcast hosts Amy Christensen and Matt Christoff talking about Indigenous firefighters experience on the fire line, And I admit I found this discussion hilarious. But before that, remember Henry T. Lewis Hank the anthropologist who wrote A Time for Burning and made that Fires of Spring film, So the retro sixteen millimeter film aesthetics are far from the coolest thing about his fireworks.
Speaker 12: One of the coolest things I think from Henry Lewis's work was when he was speaking to woodland crean Dana elders about how they would use fire to melt the frost in the ground. And I've seen actually a few kind of Western science studies lately on that, but that's actually an older technique that the communities would use. So you'd get kind of all the dry grass on top of a meadow or something, and they would go and burn that in the really early spring, because that's the most important thing about indigenous burning, is the time to burn, when it's safe to do a good fire, and they would that would then turn that level that grass into you know, black, and so the black would absorb the heat of the sun and then start to melt the frost out of the ground in the early spring, and that would give you much like earlier green shoots and green grass coming up that then moves deer other things could come in and eat in that area, so it would make your hunting or other things a lot easier to do. So yeah, I think that that's those are things you know that and there's probably so much more out there that we don't even know that communities use and how they would use fire in a good way. And I mean if people are interested as well. You know Frank like I think, is probably one of the first kind of fire ecologists who also is an indigenous man, who you know, saw very early the importance of indigenous fire knowledge and bringing it and he's written some really great publications that I think for people who are eye opening, you know, about how we can use fire in a good way on the landscape.
Speaker 4: And to hear an earload of other incredible Indigenous voices in fire ecology. You want to subscribe to Goodfire. It's a podcast series by Amy and Matt, and we are featuring audio from a discussion as they launched Goodfire in twenty nineteen. They were gracious enough to let us steal some clips to round out the conversation amid our tech issues this week, and as it turned out, Amy and I had further trouble connecting because those three fires that she mentioned around her family cabin got bigger and they were forced to evacuate from their vacation. So yes, her work is timely and personal, and she literally wrote the book on this, a volume titled First Nations Wildfire Evacuations, a Guide for Communities and External Agencies, alongside Tara McGee and First Nations Wildfire Evacuation Partnership. So I'm going to link to that in the show notes as well. Now in her name, we're donating this week to a cause of her choosing, and she asked her to go to Indigenous Residential School Survivors that's IRSSS dot CAA. For over twenty years they've assisted First Nation peoples in British Columbia to recognize and be holistically empowered from the primary and generational effect of the residential schools by supporting research, education, awareness, establishing partnerships and advocating for justice and healing and the society SS survivors with counseling, court support, information, referrals, workshops and more. And you can find out more at IRSSS dot Ca. There's a link in the show notes. And in Canada, consider participating in Orange Shirt Day on September thirtieth. It's also known as National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. Okay, so that donation was made possible by some sponsors of the show.
Speaker 1: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all day plan from board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're a welcome bonus switch today at board Goosh Energy dot Ie Board Gosh Energy. Know your Power.
Speaker 2: Estimating annual ability twenty six hundred and twenty nine Your new customers only thirship scentis khanovs mark all day electricity unit rates in twenty nine percent of GASSI unit rates, Seaportcash Energy dot E for full seas and ceas.
Speaker 10: We're freezing prices for two years in the Virgin Media playhouse. Switch to a super fast, reliable broadband now and freeze your prices or law broadband offers for twenty four months from just thirty five euro month with no activation fee. Switch in store or at Virgin Media dot I Virgin Media, It's playtime.
Speaker 11: Tcenc's apply subject to availability new broadband customers and twenty four month contracts only. You won't receive a price increase for the duration of this contract from thirty five euro month for twenty four months seventy euro thereafter. NS February eighteenth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Get value you can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get a finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euro like our delicious spicy salami, hot honey and do Ya or Margarito wood fired pizzas, served up with their crispy chunkie chips and ice cream like Sea salta caramel or Pistasio for dessert. Can't argue with that shop in store or online Tesco. Every little helps available in most stories, prices very inn express.
Speaker 4: And so many of you patrons asked about indigenous fire management, namely, and I'll list you all off at once, very quickly, Cameron Brown, Doug potential future fire ourcologist, Ronan Jackie Crisper Who, Kimberly Hoffman, Ellen Skelton, Thomas and Wyndham, Brianna Freeman, Justin Roberts, Anthony Willis, Donnell O'Neill, and Alexandra Getul. And because our time chatting was cut short again, we're so honored and lucky to feature relevant clips from a conversation with The Good Fire podcast host Amy Christensen and her co host Matt Christoph. Okay, here Amy is talking to Matt about fears of fire.
Speaker 12: Even in our indigenous communities, Like lots of people are now worried about fire and scared of fire. And I think so for me when I come across people like you know that kind of have that tendency to think of fire as bad, I always say, you know, well, there's good fire and that's kind of you know the name of from the podcast, So you know, when we're doing these kind of good fires, it's basically it's not a wildfire.
Speaker 7: It's totally different.
Speaker 12: Most Indigenous people want to bring back burning right and bring back that cultural practice to their landscape because most elders, when they look at the forest, the first thing that they say is that it's unhealthy and that it needs cleaning up. When I first started working a bunch of elders, I'd always hear this cleaning up phrase, cleaning up, And you know, it took a while till I realize that, you know, that meant fire that they wanted, because you know, you don't normally think of that. You think like I'll go out with a rake or something like Donald Trump thinks that we're doing. But you know, it was actually, you know, that they wanted to use fire to kind of clean up all that dead litter on the forest for so they just want to do that again in their territory. But I think they also realize that because of the fire suppression that we've had over the last you know, fifty to three hundred years depending where you are in Canada, Yeah, that it's not that easy just to bring back our burning practices right, because we burned on intervals, so depending on where you were. You know, if you were burning a meadow, you might burn the meadow every three years. If you're burning like you know, an old growth forest down, you might burn every twenty years. Like you know, it just depended on what you were burning or what objective you are trying to achieve. So you know, we and now we've excluded fire. So I mean, the litter and the build up of fuel is crazy. So I think, like now, most of the elders I talked to, if they say, like if we went and tried to do this now, like we would basically burn down the forest because we'd be trying to start a low intensity burn, but there's just too much fuel on the floor, so it would immediately like escalate.
Speaker 4: So how do indigenous fire scientists and wildlands firefighters approach these really different schools of thought? Any explains to that.
Speaker 12: We call it like two eyed seeing, So that's kind of the new concept that's come up. So that's like, you know, where as indigenous people or even as non indigenous, like you know, you're looking at the world through one eye, through your western perspective, right, because we're all trained in that you know, like there's not there's very few people that you know are and raised in the bush and have that kind of only subsistence lifestyle. But then out of the other eye, you know, you can see with your indigenous eye, right, so you can see, you know, how you know where things could be better. And I think for me that's where fire management comes in because you know, I'm trained from the Western perspective, but I think you know, from like culture then like you know, there's things that Indigenous people do or know better. And you know, for me, part of my job is you know, advocating for that and trying so you know, it's not saying like drop all Western science around fire, right, we need that, we need that too, But then indigenous people and our cultures also no ways you know for making the forest healthy. So to me, if you bring those two together, it makes like you know what I mean, it's then you have like an incredible knowledge base that you're coming from, right.
Speaker 4: Ah, the firefighter stories I promised you.
Speaker 12: One example is like talking to firefighters. So there's this one guy who is a non like a non indigenous firefighter. So it's kind of funny up on the you know, the fire crew is there lots of that. There's like thirty or forty year indigenous firefighters that have been on the fire line a long time, and they say, you know, these new kids, like university grats come up and start telling them what to do. So this one guy was actually telling me that he, you know, he started out of university as kind of a fire boss and went up on the one line and he had these native crews, and he said he was that he thought they were the laziest people in the world because he's like, they would get up in the morning and work a little bit, but then he's like, then they nap all day and then like in the in the bush, you know, yeah, and then he's like, but then you know, they would get up and kind of work all night. And then he's like and then I started like really looking and watching what they were doing.
Speaker 7: And he said that.
Speaker 12: Then one of the guys came up and told him, like, we fight the fire when it's the weakest, because we see fire as a living being, and why would you fight something at the height of its day, you know, like at two pm on a really sunny, hot day with high winds, right, like, why would you do anything?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 12: Like the fire can just jump or yeah, you know, but if you know, fight it in the morning when it's the weakest, or in the evening or overnight is.
Speaker 14: High and the temperature is low, and so the activities.
Speaker 12: Yeah, decrease. Yeah, and everyone, well I should say generally now with climate change, who knows, but generally fire activity decreases at night.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 12: So Sony's but that these guys have got that not from textbooks, but from years of being out and watching fires, so I think. And so he was saying, like to me, like this non indigenous kid that that it was just amazing to see that because he didn't learn any of that in school. And so for him, he said he'd learned more that summer working with the native crews about fire than going to school. Basically not to say, you know, don't stay in school, kids, but like because that's important too, but you know, there's other ways and other things to learn as well about about fire. Lots of the indigenous fire guys they'd always tell me. One of the funniest things is like the when the fire season first starts in like in Cree, the word for white boy or whatever mooniew. So they say, like, oh, it's so funny. Ande like the mooney I'll come on the fire because he's like, they're all just doing selfies with the fire in the background, and he's like and we're all like, you know, actually working and he's like and you look and all the moonya are just lined up way away from the fire take itself. And then it was funny because then I started seeing on Facebook.
Speaker 14: Like lots of people well on Instagram.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but I think that that's like just maybe a bit of and it's kind of more of like because for Indigenous people, it's more of a lifestyle, right, so they're they've been doing that. That's so it's it's a great career for indigenous people because they can go out in the summer, make money, be on the land, and then in the winter they can go and like run their chaplines or hunt, be with their families and like kind of participate in their their culture. So I think that that's why it's become like kind of a nice life style for certain people.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, sure.
Speaker 4: So how do agencies and nations work together? How can ecologists and fire keepers spark those collaborations.
Speaker 12: People always say, oh, you need to gauge with the Indigenous communities and and well, like to me, that's a nice concept. I know that lots of non Indigenous people or companies get frustrated because you know, they go to these communities and try to engage and nobody turns up or you know, they can't get a hold of anybody, nobody returns their calls. And so I think for me, like the thing to remember with that is, you know, for people to remember that like first nations are under the Indian Act, right, so basically all their resource and you know, how their capital for how they're run all basically is decided in Ottawa almost you know, and how much money comes down to them. So most of the times, you know, even though the communities have high capacity, you know, for forestry or other things, it's often very underfunded because of what comes down the stream from Ottawa.
Speaker 4: Ottawa is an eastern Canada in Ontario. And did you know that Ottawa is the capital of Canada. I didn't until right now. So if you feel the same, it's okay.
Speaker 12: Basically there's not enough money, right so they you know might not have a forestry cordate, or they might not have a lands person or you know, or the chief might be like that. You know, the chief has to manage housing, healthcare, like you know, everything like you get so, I know, people get frustrated. But at the same time, I think, you know, there's it needs to be a bit of patience and understanding there that lots of the nations are trying as much as they can, and some are great. Like there's some nations you know that have really gone into forestry there, you know, the community forests in BC. I think that those are a really great example of things that are working well. Or I know there's been partnerships like between different like forest industries and indigenous nations too. Most forestry people don't go into forestry because they want to you know, kill all the trees and everything, right, They go into because they love being in the forest, right, so they want to sustain that. Most indigenous people love being in the forest, right, So right there you have a match of you know, so then it almost goes to well, then, you know, if these are our shared values, how then can we you know, move forward together. But I think think one of the problems is that there's a real lack of trust because there's been a lot of people that have taken advantage of indigenous communities, so you know, come in and said good things, said all the right things, and then you know, ended up taking money and you know, not involving the nation, and so it takes it can take a while. I think like a helpful thing too, as employing indigenous people. So you know, when you make or want to work in a certain nation or with them, you know, to employ people from that band and give them, you know, a sustainable you know career. And there's lots of indigenous people that actually have forest tech diplomas and other.
Speaker 4: Things, yep, that that can do that.
Speaker 12: So I think, you know, and I know it's not easy either. I don't want people to think like, oh yeah, you just sit at a table and decide your values and then everything goes away.
Speaker 4: Amy explains that over the many years, promises have been made and broken, and outside collaboration has seemed to come with a price tag.
Speaker 12: You know, I think you need to recognize, you know, if you want to do this kind of work that there has to be some kind of benefit for the community as a whole as well, whether that's you know, monetarily or you know, supporting like a recreational forest or you know something. Yeah, to kind of come to that, I don't like, there's not I think an easy answer for you know, like just do this one step and you know, indigenous people will love to work with you. But for me, I think that forestry really has an advantage over say like the oil and gas industry because I think that there's many more shared values or like I think the worldview of an indigenous person in a forestry is much more similar. So yeah, I think that that's kind of exciting almost, and you know, something kind of a future. And I've seen like a bunch of nations now you know, are opening their own little sawmills and other things, and to me, that's like exciting. So because it has to do with the housing crises we have, right so they want to be able to you know, harvest their own wood to build their own homes, which I mean, why we aren't doing that, I have no idea, you know, instead of shipping in the wood and timber and stuff. So I think, yeah, there's Unfortunately there's not like a really easy answer. But I would say, like the biggest thing is, you know, to be genuine and patient and then understand that history. You know that the situation that you're coming into because lots of people get like, a I don't want to say white savior because that sounds really bad, but you know it's kind of like, oh, I'm going to go to the community and help them, or you know, like yeah, and I think the problem is that there's a revolving door of these you know, white saviors or people that you know are coming to save them. And like even like if you go to a First Nation conference, like there's just kind of business people all over the place trying to sell the chiefs on different ideas and different different things. So yeah, it's almost kind of being becoming trusted in the community and then also working long term. And that's something that you know, are especially in government, like we don't really support because you know, everyone kind of wants to climb the ladder in government, whereas you know, the most trusted people are generally the ones from the community who've been in the community the longest. Yeah, and that's generally who like an Indigenous person would trust.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So yeah, it's almost like doing these relationships long term too. And I think there's some great examples out there of things that are going really well.
Speaker 4: So yes, trust and incentives really matter, as does plain old money.
Speaker 12: And I would say lots of that does come from like that funding issue. You know that sometimes they just don't have enough money. And then also other times, you know, we're dealing with lots of issues that have been brought on by colonization, right, So like if you're dealing with a suicide crisis in your community, you're not really going to care about forestry, right, And so I hear people say that too, like to me sometimes about you know, when I talk about how we're stewards of the environment, they'll say to me, like, have you ever been on a reserve and looked at like you know, there's garbage everywhere, and you know, and people don't care about their houses, and like that's hardly an environmental steward. And to me, that's colonization, right, Like that's where where we've gone and where we've been pushed.
Speaker 4: So reminder that cultural burning practices were criminalized, but now they're becoming of interest to Western scientists. And Amy says that returning to that fired stewardship could be really healing for forests, for people who love the forest, and for the people who have been kept from doing it for so long.
Speaker 12: Moving forward, it's kind of like re like regaining our culture back. And so that's like where to relate it to burning. That's we're burning in those things because burning for us is a cultural practice, right, And so I think by getting fire back on the landscape, by kind of making our forests healthier, you know, than that promotes a healthier community. So you know, instead of kids sitting inside, you know, they're out on the land and like what kid doesn't like fire, right, So they're out with their elder like burning, and and it is those neat things like even just showing kids like how smart their ancestors were. Like the one elder that I was talking to was telling me about how drip torches actually came from First Nations people, which I didn't know, but I think, like that, to me, that's neat because you take kids out there and you show them like, well, you know, drip torches came from your you know, and and and even like kids had jobs on fires, right, So oh man, I actually heard this fantastic well that also made me cry the other day from this guy in Australia and he was saying for them, burning is such a family affair. And actually that's what I hear too from all of our that people I've talked to here, is that you know, it wouldn't just be the men that would go out and burn. It's the entire family and the kids. Like one thing they would do is pick up like pine cones and you know, light them on fire and then from the fire and then.
Speaker 4: Throw them right.
Speaker 12: It's like awesome for kids. And I know, like there's fire managers probably listening to this saying, oh my goodness, they're going to burn down the Please do not do this.
Speaker 14: If you are just a kid listening, I don't want to start throwing flaming balls of fire. Don't do that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but this was obviously under the direction of elders, and you know also burning at like a very low risk times, right, Like this was not in the very yes, but so you know, it's to give the kids a job on the fire. And the one guy from Australia was saying that for his mob that for them it was bringing children's laughter back to the forest because the trees hadn't heard the children laugh in a long time and they felt that that was needed for the trees to be healthy too. And I mean that kind of relates like obviously children's laughter does not you know, directly affect the tree, but it's more that like if people are out on the land stewarding it, right, then that promotes health for the health of the trees.
Speaker 4: So anyways, to me, that.
Speaker 12: Was such a beautiful like quote because I think too often, you know, we kind of remove that or remove kind of the community.
Speaker 4: Patron n Nikki DeMarco asked, is there any way we could go back to indigenous sewardship to help with this problem or does the red tape make it not feasible? So moving forward, what are the legalities of it?
Speaker 12: So on our like the reserves were technically allowed to burn, right because that's the you know the band, Well it's federal jurisdiction, but you know, the band kind of has a bit of control over it, so you know that you don't need provincial permission to do that. So, you know, lots of agents fire management agencies say, you know, oh, we're so supportive of indigenous people and we want to help that, you know, you know, support their practices, you know, until we say, you know, we want to burn something. And so you know what I've seen even you know, in BC is where I'm doing a lot of work right now, because the nations there are so passionate about burning. But you know, they they're going into these meetings and it's you know, like a really complicated process to get prescribed burning on the ground, and it's very Western base, you know, you have to know like fuel types that are out there. Yeah, it's like a crazy twelve step process. And most of the communities look at that and just say, you know, we'll screw this, we're burning ourselves, you know. And then even when they want to burn, like I've heard of lots, you know where somebody sees smoke and then you know, calls the you know, calls the emergency number, and then you know, a helicopter will just come and put out their little fires that they're burning right without you know, coming and dropping down and maybe talking to the people or seeing what's going on. So there's a bit of a disconnect, and I can see it from both sides, right because especially in BC, like the fires has been so crazy that I think, you know, the BC Fire Manager or Wildfire Service there, you know, obviously doesn't want out of control fires, but the nations there want to burn. And so what I'm seeing right now is because they they're just like smashing heads basically, like they're supportive until we want to burn. And because of that smashing of heads, is that now the nations are saying like, well, screw you, this is our territory. We're doing what we want, you know, and then like it becomes like this real conflict situation and we're trying to work with like the agency and you know, maybe even introduce some sort of like cultural burn protocol or procedure you know that's more indigenous based, that same thing, like you're kind of getting permission, you know, you're notifying the correct authorities, but it's not as crazy. Is this like existing process?
Speaker 14: Well, I think that's and we've just again it's another thing we've discussed a bit on the on the other episodes we did that, yeah, the Good Fire podcast. But talking about that, that's another big barrier to indigenous burning or cultural burning however you want to call it. Is the like the Western barriers on that because like you're right, we don't want out of control of fires. So the Western like the Western government, we want to make sure that like any fire that is started is not going to become a problem for anything outside of the reserve or whatever, right, but also at the same time recognizing that, like you Nick, you were saying, Indigenous people have been working with fire for thousands of years and understand the relationship. So how do you make sure that government feels comfortable with this going on? But also ensuring that because it's entirely possible. Also like this is something that somebody who's playing Devil's advocate would say, right, is just saying that, like, well, how do we ensure that they know what they're doing, because it could be somebody who just because they're Indigenous doesn't mean they know what's going on, right, they have to have that knowledge passed down and collected somehow.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and you know, I've heard that all the time, like, oh, if we allow this, the Indians are going to be lighting fires everywhere, Like yeah.
Speaker 14: Exactly right.
Speaker 12: And then that kind of fear yeah.
Speaker 14: Right, So there's that fear of will they take advantage of this and just do it for fun or whatever? And that exists, So we have to address that fear. So how do we There's going to have to be a collaboration somehow to be like, Okay, we acknowledge that like these four people somehow, Unfortunately, that's the way it's going to happen. I think it's probably going to have to go that these four people in this band have the knowledge and they have to be like I don't know, And this is super westernized for me to think, right, like, these people have the knowledge and understanding of how to do this, so if they're in charge, we're not going to worry about it. But I also feel like indigenous communities having to talk to the overlord, the government of all what they're doing on their own land is counter is exactly the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish here.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and so that's like so you know, like there's fireboss training, right or no burn boss training, So there's like different levels of that you can go through. Same thing. It's very Western like I know that now, like there's Bob Gray and other guys who train on that who are starting to incorporate a bit of Indigenous knowledge or you know the importance of Indigenous knowledge and burning, but same, it's very like kind of Western. You know, this is how we light a prescribe fire.
Speaker 10: And that's all we know.
Speaker 14: That's the only culture I know, right, So it's where my perspective is going to come from.
Speaker 12: Yeah. So we were doing brainstorms on the fire keepers and we're like, you know, well they do a certification course to get that, So maybe what we need to do then is have a cultural burning certification course, right, so that you know, people would go through and then once they get that, then you know they can go and and light fires or whatever. But then then we had a lot of fire keepers that were saying like, no, that is basically just us trying to fit into a Western system, right, And they were saying, like the one guy actually at the fire keeper's conference, I just went to the government people were talking, and he stood up and he just said, you know, I find this really difficult. Well because they were talking about, you know, like all the procedures you need to go through to get approval. He stood up and he just said, you know, for me, this is my families and like my nation's inherent right to steward the land, this is my responsibility. This is why I was put on this earth, you know. So for me then to have to go and ask you for permission to do what is my responsibility and my right that doesn't make any sense. And then he was saying, like, you know, one hundred years ago, you guys were telling us we couldn't burn because we were destroying the forest, and now you're saying, Tess, oh, only we can burn because you know, because now the forest is destroyed. And he's like, you're the ones, you know who's practices because you wouldn't listen to us, you know, have led to this. If you would have listened to my ancestors, you know, then we wouldn't be in this predicament we're in now, So like, let us kind of take it over. So I think it's one of those like I don't hate. I don't really like that term like wicked issue, you know, where it's like super complex, but it is kind of like that in a way, because you like you're worried the forest isn't healthy right now. I don't personally want to say to somebody like, yeah, go out and burn and then have you know, a massive crown fire start. But I think the thing is with indigenous fire practice is that it's you know, you're burning at very specific times, so you know it's like early spring before the snow is left. In Canada, it's late fall, just like the day or two before the first snow fall, right, you're not burning like obviously in the summer. So like I would think that that, you know, obviously still should be criminalized to some extent. You know that you need to find people or whatever that are just going because that is very high risk.
Speaker 7: And so like what our.
Speaker 12: Like elders and ancestors say from like the different nations that I've talked to, is that you know, our burning that we do is so low risk. That's why we don't need protective equipment. That's why we don't need a burn plan, because if we're doing it right, you know, there's there's literally very low or zero risk. Well, I think they would say zero risk to what they're doing, you know, to starting an out of control fire is somebody getting hurt.
Speaker 14: It's amazing how complicated the situation is to try and navigate this, but I think, yeah, the only way forward is to come together and have his discussions right on this. It seems like a cop out to say that because it's just like like we need to discuss it, but unfortunately that's the truth.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Well, and on the Good Fire podcast, I think like that's what's interesting is because with the range of people that we talked to on there, like you know, you go from somebody who thinks, you know, like it's their right to burn and they're not working with any agency, and then to like other people who you know, are employed, like mean kind of buy an agency. Yeah, like Frank Lake, you know, he works for US Forest Service and he's used his you know, work within this kind of western government structure to bring more fire back to his territory. So yeah, it's just it's really interesting to see kind of all the different perspectives.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that conversation was from the Your Forest podcast, which is hosted by Matt Christoff, who also co hosts Good Fire with a Me. And of course there's a whole Good Fire episode with Frank Lake, and there's so many other great voices in indigenous fire ecology. So I'm going to link that episode in the podcast in general on my website, and I will also put up a link to the wonderful forty seven page book called Blazing the Trail, celebrating Indigenous fire stewardship. So many resources, so much learning. Now to wrap up, though, let's talk about some pains in some assets so the most vexing thing about Amy's job, I'd.
Speaker 12: Have to say my least favorite thing about my job is the bureaucracy, which I think that most people who work in a government agency can relate to.
Speaker 7: It's sometimes really frustrating when.
Speaker 12: You know, you know something needs to be done or what a solution could be, but then you kind of get held up in all sorts of bureaucratic processes.
Speaker 7: So I mean that's my least favorite.
Speaker 12: Unfortunately, it takes up a lot of time that we could be, you know, devoting to other things.
Speaker 7: So that's frustrating for sure.
Speaker 4: In the stand out best aspect, the most brightly glowing coal.
Speaker 7: But I think my most.
Speaker 12: Favorite thing about my job is that I'm able to work with communities and knowledge keepers from across Canada and then internationally sometimes as well. And I really realize that that's, you know, a position of privilege that I have and that I'm in to be able to do that, and it comes like with a lot of responsibility that often you know, keeps me awake at night, but for me, when I'm able to bring fire keepers or other people to events or other things and just see their pride and finally, being recognized in their knowledge being known, and sometimes like I've been referring to that as kind of like, you know, we had this big severance event with fire, but now what we're almost seeing is this reunion with fire where Indigenous people are coming back to it. And so, you know, we have the land back movement for Indigenous people, and often I think, you know, we need a fireback movement as well, where Indigenous people, you know, impact again to make those decisions on the land. And what I'm seeing right now in Canada especially is that there is a movement where people want to be involved in fire management decisions that are happening in their territories.
Speaker 7: And so I think that's really exciting.
Speaker 4: So ask smart people exciting questions because sometimes the situation is impossibly complex and they can help break it down for you, like a focus on a fallen lock. And so for more on this topic, you can get yourself some good fire podcasts Into your Ears. It's hosted by Amy and by Matt Christoff and it's linked in the show notes. Matt's podcast again is Your Forest Podcast. Thank you so much to him for letting us use so much of his interview with Amy. You can follow Amy at Christiansen Amy on Twitter. There are more links in the show notes and up at my website, Aliward dot com, slash Ologies, slash good Fire. You can follow us at Ologies on Twitter and Instagram. I'm at ali Ward with one l New full length adult friendly episode codes continue to come out on Tuesday, and we're moving smolodies releases to the weekend I think Sundays or Mondays, so look for a new kid friendly episode next week. Also, I'm sorry that my neighbor's dog's barking. I can't really do anything about it. We gotta get this episode up. I'm So Sweaty. Merch is available at ologiesmerch dot com. Thank you to sisters Shannon fellas Us and Body Dutch for managing merch. They host a podcast called You Are That, a comedy podcast. Thank you to longtime friend Aaron Talbert we met when we were four, for admitting the Ologies podcast Facebook group. Thank you to Emily White of the Wordery Professional Transcription Company for making transcripts for Ologies. They're available for free on my website. Thank you Caleb Patten for bleeping episodes. Thank you Noel Dilworth for all the scheduling and Susan Hale, both of you for helping with social media quizes and such as always giant thank you to Resident editor by resident, I mean we live in the same bed, shared sleeper, who helped me stitch all these audio clips together. And also of course to Steph Maray Morris for all the editing help for working on somologies now too. Nick Thorburn wrote and performed the theme music. And if you listen to the end, you know I tell you secret. This week's secret. It's pretty juicy. It's actually not. It's that I prefer dry pulpy oranges. I don't want a juicy orange. I want the pulp to hold all the juice. I don't want to need juice on my hands. I want to dry pulpy orange. I don't know if it's a certain kind of orange or if I have to just let them stand on the counter longer. But if you are a pulpologist and you know this, holler let me know. Because every time I open an orange, I'm rolling the dice. I'm like, come on, give me a dry one. Is it gross? I don't know, I don't care anyway.
Speaker 13: Byebye, Packidermatology Homology Crypto zoology, lithology, technology, meteorology, althology, nathology, ceiology.
Speaker 4: Elenology, And now that you've stuck around to two episodes, I feel like you deserve to be burdened with a double mega secret, which is afreshy. This is no Encore secret. It's June seventh, twenty twenty three. I thanks for dealing with a couple of encores recently. Your dad words, not feeling great. I'm doing okay. Nothing is nothing is like scary or anything. But I have switched an antidepressant that I was on because I'm now medicated for ADHD, which is helping. But if anyone out there, there's a couple of you probably have gotten off of effects for or back on it. It's a toughie. Don't google it unless you want to be sad for anyone who's gone off it. Uh and not solely tapered anyway. I've been feeling just just terrible, and then it that coincided with my endocrinologists being out of the office for most of the summer and not having the hormones that I require to survive because I went through a varia failure at an early age. So I'm a mess, just a goddamn mess. But your girl is doing her best. I've cried so much today for no real reason. But thanks for sticking it out. Thanks for dealing with encores. Every once in a while I'll get someone who goes, why are you putting up an encore? And I'm like, because I can barely function, And that's just how it goes when you put out fifty to sixty five hour long episodes a year. So thanks for dealing with it. Thanks for rolling with it. This is a vulnerable secret. I appreciate you listening and caring. Hopefully I will be on the mend soon. If you have dealt with anything like this, please know that you're not alone. Okay. Please enjoy the fresh air if you have any, and please enjoy indoor filtered air if you don't. Okay, scallops next week, fresh episode, byebye.
Speaker 10: We're freezing prices for two years in the Virgin Media playhouse. Switch to our super fast, reliable now and freeze your prices or law broadband offers for twenty four months from just thirty five euro month with no activation fee. Switch in store or at Virginidia dot I Virgin Media. It's playtime.
Speaker 11: Tcenc's applied subject to availability new broadband customers and twenty four month contracts only. You won't receive a price increase for the duration of this contract from thirty five euro month for twenty four months seventy euro thereafter. N February eighteenth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Get value you can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get a finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euro like our delicious spicy salami, hot honey and do Ya or Margarito wood fired pizzas, served up with their crispy chunkie chips and ice cream like sea salta caramel or pistachio for dessert. Can't argue with that. Shop in store or online. Tesco Every Little helps available in most stories, Prices varying Express