Speaker 1: This is Sham and I with the Mets and welcome to Netflix and Nerds.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Batflicks and Nerds, the Baseball podcast with the British Twist. I'm your host John McGee and joining me again, Russell.
Speaker 3: How are you doing? Are you? I'm doing good. I'm doing good.
Speaker 4: Pumped up after all our last conversation we had with coach Gilliam and I think this one's going to be as intriguing and as motivating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not gonna that's a that's already really high expectation.
Speaker 3: Is a good friend, but he's way more engaging with me.
Speaker 2: That isn't true. That isn't true. So yeah, Russell's Russell sort of tipped the wink there. This is another another special guest we've got and it's I mean, I don't know if I'm doing you down here, Kyle, but it's it's different, right, I was going to say a change of speed, but it's different. So it's a pleasure for us to be joined by Kyle Body. For those who don't know him, Kyle was the founder of drive Line, the company at the forefront of revolution revolutionizing data led and personal training programs in baseball. He has worked with numerous collegiate baseball programs and major league teams, including his minor league pitching director of the Cincinnati Reds and a special assistant to Boston Red Sox PBO Craig Breslo. He's also one of Joey Votto's chess partners, which is the most important thing for us in this conversation. Kyle there, welcome, thanks to your time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my pleasure. Great, great, great intro for Yeah.
Speaker 2: So God, you are one of the most connected men in baseball. I'm really glad that you know Tyler Russell and I spoke to Tyler last week and we had a great time. How can you not in the environment of the Savannah Bananas.
Speaker 3: It's incredible what he's done.
Speaker 2: It certainly is. But let's let's focus on new Kyle, and let's focus on drive line. So we connected over Twitter a couple of weeks ago. I bonded a little bit on social media about some of your new New Year's advice which you were giving, which I absolutely loved, which is to just do stuff. So for you, I think immediately this was about your playing chess. But it seems from a distance that like this is a creed for you. As a guy who started out as a card counter at poker tables then learned how to hack poker websites, you've had a spell in the corporate world and then effectively you've brought that sort of hacking mindset to pitching development. So this is this is what you're all about. Just do stuff, Kyle, isn't it?
Speaker 3: For sure? For sure?
Speaker 1: And as you know, as embarrassed as you can be tweeting about baseball, any of us, all of us, anyone listening out there, I promise losing to a nine year old and chess over four hours is very humbling.
Speaker 3: Don't worry. If I can lose to a.
Speaker 1: Nine year old chess, you can tweet about some stuff and maybe get you all that people on Twitter and slanning ways bad.
Speaker 2: I didn't think we were going to start out about losing losing to nine year olds at chess. But so what is it about approaching stuff like that? Tyler? What is it? Kyle?
Speaker 3: Tyler?
Speaker 2: Both basehead? Kyle?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: Why is that being your approach? And how have you brought that to to baseball?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you mentioned about with Joey and the chess partner stuff.
Speaker 1: But they really got me into it in twenty twenty before the pandemic, you know, they played Chess is really popular inside major league clubhouses. There's a lot of downtime and people can only play so many cards, and chest has become really popular, so they kind of got me into it.
Speaker 3: I played as a.
Speaker 1: Kid, but very little, and I don't know, it just kind of really took hold. And it's just difficult. The game is really hard and it's unlike anything else I've done. I've been a professional gambler, played manage to gathering other things, but I don't know, There's just something about a really complicated, really difficult game.
Speaker 3: That is learning.
Speaker 1: There's like there's nowhere to hide, you know, and like baseball and there's like randomness, right like batted balls luck and batting average on balls and play and then all this other stuff.
Speaker 3: But in chess there is a little bit of element of luck.
Speaker 1: And like what you know and then what people play, and people can run right into your preparation. But I mean, realistically, it's like ninety nine percent skill, and so you only have yourself to blame when you lose to a nine year old, which is it's is pretty cool actually in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, I really don't know why I like it so much, but I do.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting what you're saying there about. You know, you're having been a professional poker player, a game with pretty pretty rigid real sets, which if you know, if you know how to hack the game, then you know how to win, you know, within within averages and so on. But then Magic the Gathering, which is a game that is famously like almost impossible to hack, as is baseball, right, and you brought what have you brought from poker? And I guess what are you bringing from chess into the sport of baseball? And how does that differ from what you brought from Magic the Gathering?
Speaker 1: Yeah, poker and magic there's really huge overlap, you know, like some of the world champions are also great magic players. So it's like a pretty it's you know, hidden information, probablistic and so what I've I'm really lucky because if you don't grow up playing games like that, or you don't grow up playing games of chance and understan and how it applies to life, A lot of people, I mean most people are deterministic, you know, like if I did X y Z and I got ABC results, then it's because I did X y Z that I got ABC. And that's not true. Right in baseball, there's a lot of luck that goes into it. I mean drive line success is there's a lot of luck that goes in the drive line being successful.
Speaker 3: And this isn't just necessarily modest, but it's true.
Speaker 1: Like if, for example, like if drive Line was trying to exist before Moneyball, that would be nearly impossible. Like what is written in Moneyball that is really relevant to drive Line? And the answer is not much. But it's about the fact that Moneyball comes out the book and it changes the mindset of people who can work in front offices. Like so certain types of people work in front offices, certain types of thinking about probabilistic about on base percentage and the draft.
Speaker 3: Those all change.
Speaker 1: So as a result, like the concept of thinking about player development differently is also on the table. Right, the Astros is winning the World Series very lucky for us because when they win the World Series, a lot of people are forced to admit that maybe there's a different way to do things.
Speaker 3: And of course most of the focus is on the cheating and the.
Speaker 1: Tanking, you know, but in reality, the player development machine that Lunaw and those guys built is something that opened up the eyes of people inside baseball. And so that's a lot of luck. If the instros don't win, you know, oh well, the anstwers were dominant, do they really need to win. Yeah, you do need to win to change to people's minds. Whether that's fair or not. That's how it is. And why are we talking of today about how angry everyone is about the Dodgers and signing all these players and whatever. Like, would they be as mad if the Dodgers don't win the World Series? I don't think so, it'd still be mad. It is twitter, you know, but like these things are have a huge impact and you don't control any of it. So a big part of like poker and magic is understanding that, like luck plays a big role in your success and your failure.
Speaker 3: And learning to just deal with that rather.
Speaker 1: Than being mad about it all the time is something that I think is I'm really lucky to have experienced that as a kid, to understand that probab you know, probablistic thinking is the way to go.
Speaker 2: That's really really interesting and it's sort of it does lead me on quite nicely to I was going to ask about what were the things that in your opinion, so drive line has become a sort of a cipher or a pseudonym for sort of player development in modern baseball. You know, it's it's always a theme of the off season outside you know, the Shenanigans of who's going to land where it's it's a conversation about whose training where and what focus have they got. In your opinion, what were the things that shifted that, Kyle, from being you know, an approach that you were perfecting with a small number of players who had brought into it really early guys like Dan Stralia and Joe Bimel and people like that, and took it to you know, being that that sort of synonymous sort of you know, Leviathan within baseball where player development was. Was it just those things that you mentioned or what were there any things that you saw for it that have helped shift the dell.
Speaker 1: To it's really you know, you pointed the big leaguers that have come through here, and that's certainly what's the most public, but it's really more about the minor leaguers and the college players and the high scho players. And that's what Andrew Friedman told me many many years ago, you know, when he was with Tampa and I was interviewing there.
Speaker 3: He said, the best way to affect change is for like amateur players to then force the issue on their way up. In Cleveland, I think was you know a big one obviously Bauer going up through that, but then more than that, it's Clevenger and Pisano and uh, you know the entire double A roster was you know, using that Casey weathers Uh, you know, tons of those players, Mitch Brown, players that never even got to the big leagues, JP firerise and demonstrated, and the Andrew Miller deal. You know, many many many players in Cleveland and Houston and others had really started that change.
Speaker 1: And that's what influenced it because people, you know, all we watch typically are you know, in the big leagues or the fans generally, but they're paying so much attention to the farm system.
Speaker 3: That's the prize jewel.
Speaker 1: You know, you can't you know, the Dodgers can spend all this money for sure, but like that's that's no guarantee of success. Look at the mats, I mean even the Dodgers. Who knows if it will actually work, you know, but I mean it probably will. But it's the fact that their pipeline of pitchers is constant, you know, and their players development is still very good. So that that's what gets noticed in the GM you know landscape, I would say, is how much is being done, who's transforming the minor leagues, who's transforming these players that are coming up that are cost controlled.
Speaker 3: And I think that's what really got the people's attention.
Speaker 1: From the fans perspective, it's like all that happens to the big leagues, but what catches the GM's attention is like, hey, this a ball team sucks and they don't now yeah, and these players we have reports on, we have them as like not trade, Like we're not interested in this player.
Speaker 3: JP fire As might.
Speaker 1: Be one of the better examples, Like they had a Division III pitcher drafted Wisconsin and people had like non prospect grades on him, you know, and then within two years they were like, hey, this is a should acquire like eighth you know, eighth n guy, back end guy.
Speaker 3: And when healthy JP is.
Speaker 1: Quite good and so then that that's a good example of when scouts are like, I saw this guy three years ago and he sucked, and now he doesn't suck, and then that kind of spurs the change. And that really happened at the amateur level. Oregon State was a big one, Vanderbilt was a big change. And yeah, so I think that's what really causes people to really question their beliefs.
Speaker 4: So when you go through that, is that what kind of those stages that maybe a lot of people haven't seen, is that what turned Drive Line from Kyle Body's idea into like a via built business. I've seen a few interviews you've talked about before, especially with that discussion you had with Freedom about wanting to do this. I think is initia that you wanted to go into an organization and make this change, and he told you to make the most change, you're actually gonna be able to do it outside an organization.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he had you know, he backed it up with obviously, I'll listen to anything, Andrew says, we catch up every so often, but you know he had concrete reasoning, right. He was like, you know, David Price, you know, we didn't develop him. Hopefully we didn't scum up.
Speaker 3: So that was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it took him first overall. He was the obvious overall pick, first overall pick. But with David came like weighted ball stuff that he had done at Vanderbilt, you know. And so when David is using what the tempa going to say, no, you can't use it. No, of course not right, like they have to accommodate it. But then other players seem using weighted balls. Then they started asking questions and it's just that seed of an idea that starts rolling, and uh yeah, that's kind of That's that's how it happened. And Andrew was one hundred percent of right on that. I wasn't necessarily convinced. I mean I didn't know anything about baseball all the time, so I didn't, you know, I thought maybe he should blowing me off like that.
Speaker 3: But it turns out that Andrews is right.
Speaker 1: And when he hired me with the Dodgers, that's exactly what happened with LA, Like we used weighted ball programs with the players, you know, they're back end minor league guys that were like non priority. Then they end up trading two of them for for help. They trade Corey Copping and Andrew Isler for Ryan Madison and expert I can't remember who else was. Uh, so they trade those guys then, uh, you know, the biggest breakout that everyone kind of knows now from that program was Tony Consoling and so then it all takes out of those things. And then you know they had drafted Walker Bueler out of Vanderville, and Walker was very vocal about supporting weighted ball stuff and this stuff.
Speaker 3: So you have both ends of it, and so he was right, like I listened to.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously Andrew is one of the best to do it when it comes to not just you know, signing all the expensive free agents, which he does do a good job of that, but also like how to build an organization around that, and how to truly build an organization not a baseball team, Like how do you build an ecosystem?
Speaker 3: And I've learned a lot from Andrew on that on that front.
Speaker 2: But this is part of the conversation. You know, we're having this conversation in the midst of the Dodgers having just signed Brocus to Saki and Tanna Scott. But you know, yeah, you're right, Kyle, that they have all the money, but those decisions aren't made in a vacuum, are they They maybe because of the focus that that organization has on developing the plays to be the best that they can be and to succeed as a as a collective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and building a relationship. MLB is much closer to the NBA than than people realize.
Speaker 1: Is like, you know, it's when we're talking about the kind of money that these players are signing for. In additional five to ten million, you know, for Tanna Scott, probably a big deal because you know, that's a lot of money. But for Otani and the others, not necessarily. You know, they want to make sure they sign for a winner. They want to be comfortable where they are, and relationships play a huge role in where they're gonna sign. And that's true about Otani and that's true about anyone really. But you know, that's what Andrew I think, not saying that he's really good at that and that's the only thing he's good at, but I mean he understands that, you know, building an ecosystem and winners you have to win for sure. But additionally, like how do you develop relationships with Japanese agents, marketers and that kind of stuff, And you've been doing that for years to a lot of teams that don't I don't think a very good job of that of that, And that's why consistency at the front office is also extremely important. You know, like Andrew's been with the Dodgers for quite some time now, but when you have this constant turnover in the front offices that these free agents that they want to they want to make sure you know that there's going to be consistency and they feel comfortable with to certain people. And that's why Atani has an opt out. You know, if Andrew leeves uh that that's a that's that's important to him, and it should be because you're talking about a lot of money. Yeah, but Atani can get a lot of money from anywhere, right, It's more about like, yeah, does he want to win, for sure, he does, I know a TONI pretty well. But more importantly, he wants consistency. He wants to be sure that this is going to be the last contracted science probably and so then that's that's all part of organization building that I think is kind of hidden.
Speaker 3: You know, our fans aren't necessarily that interested in.
Speaker 4: So obviously, like we took the drive line has become quite a significant player in the baseball world, How would you like describe drivelines like core philosophy, Like when it comes to player with development, I.
Speaker 1: Think data driven player development is what we do best. It's kind of our tagline. Yeah, we try to make decisions based on you know, high probability that they're going to work, you know. So, like there's a lot of swing coaches and pitching coaches that are that are good for sure, but a big problem is that you always experience of these organizations' is like, oh, well, we have the best pitching coach at you know, for a major league team. Sure, what's gonna happen when that guy like leaves or quits or is like done?
Speaker 3: You know that that's not great? Like what did he teach? How did he teach it?
Speaker 1: And being able to distill those systems down into or those ideas down into a system that can be repeatable that we can train people because we lost I don't know, I think fifty employees now to prefer baseball.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 1: So then we learned really early like hey, you know, you got to have a repeatable system. And this is something I learned in Houston under Lounaw and sing and Elias was. You know, they hired a bunch of pitching coaches and weird people like me out of like schools and in places no one cared about, Like, no one cared about drive Line, you know when I started there in twenty thirteen, twenty twelve, and they hired Chris Holt from you know, he was working at a drive line type place. Drew French was, you know, fired from a college. Bill Murphy had been like won like six games at Brown. They got fired, like, oh, we're just a bunch of losers. And then if you pass forward, like Murph is now the big league pitching coach, Holt is our bullbend coach in Boston. Franch is the pitching coach in Baltimore. Like these guys are all have all moved up, and they did really good talent identification early. But then when they lose all these people, like then what have you lost in Houston?
Speaker 3: And it turns out that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, the system is bigger, you know than any one individual, and they really believe that and they did a good job of that.
Speaker 3: And so then that's what we had to do in drive Line.
Speaker 1: It's like, how do we develop systems that survive any one person leaving, including me, And that's my job as the chief Technical Officers is chief technology officers. How do I build these systems that our athletes receive, you know, a consistent experience with the fact that we have the best intelligence that trains them for what they need to do, but then also coaches that we feel very confident in training in a short period of time that can convey that information because AI is not going to do that anytime soon yet. So humans that actually developed these relationships are you know, probably the most important thing we do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, that's cool. I think obviously we talk about one of the key aspects is having that uniformity about how you collect the data and how you approach it. But I think you have to then get into a player specific customization when you actually then tailor what you want to do with this information and the program that like then goes on for those individuals. How have you found that that's kind of like developed over your time at drive Line about being like, how do we then if only through each individual what they should be doing.
Speaker 1: So I have a great story that's not about Drive Line, but I think he'll play well in the podcast and it really ills for it's a story. So one of the most intelligent people I've met, one of the most intelligent players I've met, and I really mean intelligence. I want to make it very clear. I mean, like IQ sanitized test. I really do believe this is Ellie de la Cruz, the Cincinnati Rights. Now, Ellie is awesome, an incredible baseball like you, obviously, he's an incredible, you know player in so many ways. But what I don't think fancy on a regular basis is that when Ellie came over, he was a non priority sign I think twenty thousand dollars bonus.
Speaker 3: And he didn't.
Speaker 1: Speak or write, you know, English at all. But he didn't read or write Spanish either, Right, he didn't go you know, he had to stop going to school so he could work, so he coun support help support his family, you know, and that's not uncommon in the Dominican And so he's a really good that speaks highly of his character right there. You know, not that there needs to be much more. Ellie is well known as being a high character guy. But in a short period of time, you know, Ellie ended up learning not only how to speak English extremely well, but also read, write, it. And then in his one of his last interviews last year at the end of the season, they asked him what he wanted to do, and he said he wanted to learn Japanese so he could speak to a todi, right, And I have no doubt that he can do that or probably has done it by now. And so someone like Ellie, who didn't have a lot of formal education growing up, you know very little, how do we convey to him, you know, the analytical approach that's CJ. Gilman and our hitting coaches they wanted to do. And it can't be a ton of numbers, it can't be a ton of characters, it can't be a top words. It's not because Ellie's not intelligent. He's extremely intelligent. He's just not knowledgeable. Right, So then where do you start without condescending, without insulting him, and being able to boil it down to a blast censor on his bat, you know, and measuring bat speed and being like, hey, if this number goes up, that's good, you know, and then over time laying on why right, and then he was very curious on why is that important? You know? How do I how do I make that number go up? In all these things to the point where you know the proof is in the pudding because he got busted with a blast sensor cap on his bat in the big leagues, I think against the Nationals because Davey Martinez is the manager and he called the umpire. He's like, what does he have on his bat? And because the blast sensor is not you're not allowed to use it in the big leagues, but you are in the minor leagues. But Ellie likes the feel of it so much that he had the covering on the bat without a sensor. And the reason I say that is like, because for Ellie it's you know, I don't want to not for Ellie, but for you know, Latin players and foreign players generally, there can be this bias and it's not racism. I don't think it's that, but it's just like this racial insensitivity or like ed, oh, well, this person didn't go to high school, therefore he's not intelligent.
Speaker 3: A big difference between intelligence and knowledge. You know.
Speaker 1: It's like if you think that of you, have you spoken to the average like high school drafteed I got a two point one GPA from Arkansas.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, you know, we're going to talk about like that. And it's not like no one's.
Speaker 1: Trying to do anything bad, but it's like we just kind of assume that it's really harder they don't grow up with his technology. But the reality is, and in my experience, Latin players love technology and analytics more than the American players because to them, baseball is still a game. For a lot of them when they come over here, we've over professionalized the amateur game of baseball to the point where our kids become desensitized the technology, desensitized to a lot of these things, whereas I think in Latin America they do a much better job of the game is a game, right, we call it that right, And so as a result, that's that's why I mentioned the individualization of the education that you brought up. But I really wanted to point out Ellie because he has such a high baseball IQ bod. He's also extremely intelligent in general tasks, which is lacking in knowledge. So then how do you bridge that gap with someone like him? And inside that journey is how you can understand how you can work with big leaguers like you know, Anthony DeSclafani or you know any of these other players that we have that are really intelligent and knowledgeable, and so that's that's the that's the that's the essence of coaching, I think.
Speaker 4: And in like the ten fifteen years now that you've been doing this, like how much has that knowledge like increase, not like the intelligence of the players, but people knowing that, like, hey, it's exit velocity, it's spin rate, it's velocity.
Speaker 2: These are the word things that I need to be improving.
Speaker 4: And do they come to you with already kind of preconceived ideas that sometimes you have to actually like break down and be like, no, that's not what we're going to.
Speaker 3: Do for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, some of it. You have to find out what they're willing to change and what they're not. Some people come in and you know, they're big. We usually they've had a lot of success, so you know some things you can't change. And you also have to be humble enough to know that, like Drivelin doesn't have all the answers to everything you know, and no one does. So there's things that people believe that you may believe are wrong, but you got to have the humility for it. Like, for example, over the last five years everyone's been like, oh, stuff plus you know is the best metric, and it is very good, and be like, you know, you should throw your best pitches more often, right, And this was the Yankees approach for some time and got a lot of success the Reds too.
Speaker 3: And some other teams. But innately, you have to know that baseball can't be as simple as this pitch has the highest stuff plus value. Therefore I throw it one hundred percent. You know, baseball must be more complicated than that. You just know it. Can you prove it? No? But can do you know that?
Speaker 1: Like you've ever played baseball or watch it enough, you know that, like if you just total a hitter, I'm gonna throw one hundred percent of some type of pitch that that can't be the best approach, you know, right, Yeah, it's got to be, myron, it's got to be such an outlier type idea. But we know that pitching, truly pitching is is more than that. And then that's you know where scouts and others would be, well, that's stupid or and they may not say it in the most friendly way, but in the kernel of truth is that they're right. And then that leads you to develop models like mixed plus and match plus and things like that that actually capture the essence of that, because like, if you just go buy stuff plus, then why are their outliers like Hendrix And why are their outliers that have really poor stuff plus but get really good results? But then when you try to measure their commands, their commands seems no better than anyone else. So then that must be either one your models are bad. Like there's always gonna be outlines that you can't explain, but there must be some something behind that. And I think that's the cool part of drive Line is we don't shy away from, you know, taking that and what people kind of don't know about me or they choose to forget I think is that my upbringing is not an analytics. My upbringing is in pro scouting. I came up through as a scout, not an analyst. So I actually really value that qualitative opinion a lot, and then try and then how do we distill that into a system. I'm not trying to replace scouts or anything like that, or fans or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: Take you know, what they talk about baseball and how they see it because that's data and then turn it into a repeatable system so when they're gone or they're done with baseball, that that knowledge lives on forever. And I think that's that's the beauty of analytics a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: No, that's cool.
Speaker 4: I feel like players like hit development plateaus something that I've had, Like in my life, I've been told sometimes like if you want to change something, you're going to get worse before you get better. How do you kind of like identify either a player is stuck and how do you kind of like get them past like those barriers with almost that statement like you might get worse for a bit.
Speaker 1: One of the best ways for me to experience this firsthand, and I've tweeted about it, and I think people should do it that in baseball is get coaching in something else, like be coached, like you know, because people forget what it's like to be coached. I certainly had so when I got a chess coach, very humbling to be told how bad I am at chess and my coach is awesome. I have two of them, Mark Aserman and Calvin Blocker, And I used to play an opening and Mark would always be on these like this opening is bad for you, like you know, playing D four into the V four and I had to switch.
Speaker 3: And eventually and I'm like, well, if I switch, I'm gonna be worse.
Speaker 1: And he's like, you know, yeah, that's true obviously, but like that's it's best for your career. I've switched and I've had the best results after a period of being bad. So there's this humility aspect, and people don't want to be bad at anything, you know, I didn't, and people don't, so being able to paint the long term picture for them because no one really wants to be the best a ball pitcher, you know, like that's that's nice, you know, but the goal is to be the best big leaguer, and then you show them the path to being a big leaguer. And I think that's that's what we owe to them on how to do that. Now that being said, I don't think it's true that players necessarily get a lot worse, you know, when you start doing things. There's ways to kind of mitigate that and ways to put them in a safe environment so they feel okay and slowly add things back in the games. And we had a really we had a lot of success with the Reds in the minor leagues of of doing that, and in a lot of ways, honestly, the coaches do very little.
Speaker 3: It's the players. You build the environment for them to succeed.
Speaker 1: When I took over Dayton for a week, I gave my coach a week off and I took over, took over the team, and it was Dayton vers Lake County and Joe Kenzie Noel hit like a million homers off of us that trip.
Speaker 3: That sucked.
Speaker 1: But like when I got there, I basically had to do nothing because our pitch coach and our system was like, Okay, the starting pitcher writes the scouting report.
Speaker 3: On Tuesday, which would be the first game. He writes it on Monday for Tuesday.
Speaker 1: We'd go over right on Tuesday, and then we update the scouting report after the third game.
Speaker 3: We'll play six game series, and so then on the fourth.
Speaker 1: Game that morning, our closer or our bullpend captain will come up with a revised report like, Okay, well this is what the starters are saying halfway through the series, this is where it was wrong. This is where we're going to see changes. And then they would do that, and then they would set up the nine pocket and the rap sodo and the track man and the weighted balls, like it was all done. The players have this whole cadence of it, and it's like, man, that's how you know you've succeeded in coaching, is that you don't need to do anything. Like these guys already bought into the incremental change. They would measure these things, and as a result of that system being built, they were working on things that would necessarily make them worse over a short period of time, but then they knew would make them better. But the coaches doesn't have to sell it anymore, like these players buy into it. And I thought that was the really beautiful thing that we had going on with Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: So taking that thought into it slightly different direction, Kyle, I wonder what looking at it from from a distance as a fan of the sport, it does feel like, you know that the modern world of baseball, whether that's social media or facilities such as yours and some of your competitors, do allow different routes for sort of public reinvention of players. Right there is always an opportunity for somebody to go away and do something completely different and put themselves back in the shop window. The one that's really in my mind is a guy I know he knows, is Robert Stock Right. He's gone away, completely reinvented the way that he throws a baseball, and it's like some of the nastiest stuff you'll ever see in the world, and gone away and he's one of the best pictures in Mexico and he's back with you guys on the Red Sox. Now do you feel like that that the whole sort of that level of curiosity and the opportunity to both dig into it if you're if you're open minded like Robert is, but then also put that back in the shop window is sort of a feature of modern baseball. It is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a great way to put it, because like someone like even someone like Robert, especially because we've eliminated minor league levels'd be short and levels and we have the best preserved list and we can carry fewer players, which makes it harder for players like Robert and other players like in Mexico there carving like tom Akermer.
Speaker 3: You know, it's harder for them to get jobs because.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Robert, he was this guy and he's had some big league success, you know, and why would we sign him because he's just going to be this player again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not really flat really fastball, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he does this and whatever. It's like, okay, well we've seen that before and whatever, no big deal.
Speaker 1: So for Robert, I think he understood that, and so the changes he made were to improve his fastball, but to also just be a different person, you know. Uh, and he is a different pitcher entirely, not like, oh, my stuff's gotten five to ten percent better, therefore I'm a different player. That might not be enough, you know, for someone that has as much experience as Robert. You know, so now he's truly just a completely different pitcher. Now, is his stuff better, Yeah, it is, for sure, But it's almost less about that the stuff is better.
Speaker 3: Is that it's like, well, we we've never seen this type of pitch.
Speaker 1: Sure, you know, would we sign a picture like this that didn't have the history of Robert Stock And the answer is probably yes, right, So it's like, oh, it's less about it's a credit to our scouts and the credit to the organization to be like this isn't Robert Stock were signing that we know this is Roberts. This is another pitcher whose name is Robert Stock that looks like this, and that's very different.
Speaker 3: And that's a credit to Robert to.
Speaker 1: Be willing to make those changes, in a credit to the Red Sox and other organizations to be like, you know, to be humble enough to realize that, you know, this is a different player.
Speaker 3: And so that's not easy.
Speaker 1: Roberts an a credible athlete, and he's you know, he's the he's the Bryce Harper before Bryce Harper. People don't remember how good Robert was as an amateur. I mean it's incredible, and I really do mean that he was Bryce before Rice.
Speaker 3: And so that's not possible for everybody.
Speaker 1: But on the other hand, like Roberts had so much success in amateur baseball, in college and and myer Ley's and pro ball and you know, big leagues, then why should Robert have to change? You know, most people in that position are like, I don't have to change. I'm I'm the man, I've been the man. I just need to do things better, right, And so for someone like Roberts to be so humble to make those big changes is very rare. You know that that speaks to his willingness and his openness to reinvent himself at each thirty.
Speaker 3: You know that's that's not you don't find that very often.
Speaker 2: That's interesting that you said that you don't, because because it does feel looking from the outside, looking in you you encounter far more baseball players than Russell and I do, Kyle. But it feels more common even than like four or five years ago for guys to have that humility and open mindedness than even relatively recently.
Speaker 1: It is, yeah, and it is true that people are more open, but it's you know, Robert's throwing completely differently, which I think is pretty rare.
Speaker 3: Most people are just like.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna add a cutter, and that's that's willingness to show, which you know that that's good, that's a good thing, but you know it is.
Speaker 3: And that's where I think I've said this before.
Speaker 1: It's like the rise of video games and like you know, being I'm forty one, when I was playing video games growing up here nerds an outcast type thing. Today it's like that's what we do. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know. But more importantly is like everyone plays some sort of video game growing up, whether they do now or not is not relevant. But they're used to the gamification of society. They're used to a gamer score, are used to a leaderboard, they're used to competing.
Speaker 3: You know, data has been thrown at them in all forms. I've killed death Ratio.
Speaker 1: And Call of Duty to Bettle Royale and Fortnite, you know, all these other things, Like these things are part of their brain. And then as a result, it's less difficult to get them to make quantitative data driven decisions because they've grown up around data their whole life. And so like adding a pitch, so I've done that in MLB the show, or I've done this. You know, it's like those things they matter, they really do matter. And MLB publicizing biomechanics in the way they do. You know, it's not about biomechanics, but a lot of times you see Mike Petriella on these guys tweet on videos or tango of the bat tracking or player tracking right the skeletons and whatever, and is.
Speaker 3: That, uh, you know, I hope it's a good marketing angle for MLB. I do think it is. I think it helps reach fans, that's ee, the digital age of baseball.
Speaker 1: That is good but also importantly, players see it and they're like, oh, that's that's possible, you know, that's that's it's possible that we can track these things.
Speaker 3: It's possible, and that these things.
Speaker 1: You know, can be used for entertainment value because that's what MLB cares most about, is the entertainment value, and they should. But then it turns out that that just allows their brain to be like, well, if we can track player movement, if we can track picture movement, how can we how could I use that to be better?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And that's all these little things that kind of snowball, just like talking back to the Freedman conversation, that cause some players to be a little more open because it's not a coach telling them, it's their own idea derived from MLB's marketing, from you know, things they see in their life.
Speaker 3: And I think that's where that's I think that's the biggest.
Speaker 1: Driver of a lot of the change in the conversations we have with players is they're significantly more open, and they can't really cite why they're more open, and I think it's just because of the environment they put them, we put them in.
Speaker 4: So I think drive line constantly is at the forefront of the technology which we're seeing being used like in MLB. You literally just talk about the motion capture stuff that MLB are doing. But it's like you've from our form what we've seen been some of the first people that talk about force plates, talking about like open the biomechanics and stuff like that. How do you it's obviously might not be you might be within drive line yourselves. How do you see like the potential in all of these like different technologies. Are you guys like trying fifty different things and we're not hearing about like forty seven of them, and then we're hearing about the three things that go on to like revolutionize the game. What's that kind of like model of like introducing a new piece of technology and a new data point like the drive line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough because you know, force plates and motion gaps, all these things have been around for a long time.
Speaker 3: We haven't really invented to many of that stuff.
Speaker 1: But I was working with an NFL team last year and we had some motion gaps and stuff, and I showed a quarterback who were working out some arm strength with one of the quarterbacks in the NFL.
Speaker 3: A couple of em mentionally for this team.
Speaker 1: And the quarterback coach was like, you know, well we've done this before and see this is like you know, they're wearing sensors and it's not representative of you know, of.
Speaker 3: The game, right, and then that's true, you know.
Speaker 1: I was like, you're wearing all these sensors and you're pitching off this turf mount and you're not throwing to a hitter. How much you how much are that really transfers to the game? And I said, no, in this case, you know, this is a this is a three step drop with a one hitch timing and whatever. And he was like, oh, like you you know stuff about football and I was like, look, I know enough to know about environment design.
Speaker 3: I don't actually know anything about, you know, being a quarterback.
Speaker 1: And so he was like taking a back and he was like okay, then he was willing to buy in.
Speaker 3: Immediately.
Speaker 1: The coach was like, oh, oh, totally, it makes sense. And that's where I think a lot of this stuff falls flat, is you have to the stuff has to be representative. It has to look like baseball and being half naked and wearing forty three sensors and throwing eighty seven miles an hour, and then taking that information and trying to be like, hey, your mechanics suck. You need to do things better. You know, Innately, the player may not understand her, the coach of the organization may not exactly know why that doesn't make sense, but they know something is not right, you know, And so being able to design an environment that is way more representative of what they're doing is the biggest thing. I think drive Line is breaking out. And I think the biggest person that deserves the most credit is Rachel Balkovic, who you know is now the farm director of the Miami Marlins, and she was a manager for Yankees when she worked for drive Line. I've known Rachel for a long time, but when she worked the drive Line, she challenged She's like, why do these why do we accept that these players throw slower in the lab than they do in the game.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, well, they just do.
Speaker 1: And she's like why, you know, And she really pushed hard on it, and we really redesigned the environment under her toolch to no, that's not true. Now players throw as hard in the lab here as that they do in games, and that makes our data significantly better, it makes them buy in more.
Speaker 3: And now, certainly we've tried a million things that don't work. I can tell you that.
Speaker 1: But I like tweating about the stuff that doesn't work because I think I think it's good marketing to show that we're we're trying a lot of things.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there's there's there's so many things.
Speaker 1: That's the biggest problem now is that we've almost all the easy gains from motion capture and biomechanics are done, you know, like it put put very simply and kind of concretely, if motion capture me let me take a position or some of my haters, because I think it's because I do think it's a good one. Actually, you know, if biomechanics labs and motion capture and stat cast and all this stuff was good for pitching, then why are Tommy John surgeries and surgeries going up at a higher and.
Speaker 3: Higher rate than they ever have? Right? Okay, whether that's true or not, I think that it might not actually be.
Speaker 1: True that elbow surgeries are going up, but certainly there's a lot of them, right, they haven't gone down, Like we can say that and you can point to things like, well, what we've what strength and conditioning and modern strength and conditioning and labs have done a good job of It's like, how many shoulder.
Speaker 3: Injuries do you hear of these days? And the answer is like, quite quite a few.
Speaker 1: There's very few shoulder like but back when I was growing up, shoulder injuries were at least as common as elbow injuries and probably more common.
Speaker 3: You know, that really ruined people's lives.
Speaker 1: Well, we've learned a lot about how to treat the shoulder and get it in a much better position. So as a result, players that may have injured their shoulder now they don't. That's good, but that doesn't mean that they don't. Also, you know, they may go on to injure their elbow instead. Right, But that incremental gain of protecting the elbow that hasn't happened. Right, We have done a good job of eradicating you know, shoulder injuries almost entirely out of this game. But like elbow injuries seem to be very difficult to solve. So if it were the case that these motion capture labs and biomechanics labs and stuff were working on could impact elbow injuries in a positive way, it hasn't happened yet, right, And so my view on it is that if these labs that we've built and others have built and people are starting to build, if those things were going to improve injury rates to the elbow, then they would have already, that's my opinion, and so we need to do something completely different, and that is that's what we've been working on for about, I don't know, eight years, and we've been failing at it for eight years. But we have a new model of thinking about biomechanics, which we're pretty close on.
Speaker 3: I say that who knows, but there's a new way of modeling.
Speaker 1: I think energy flow and muscle composition and things that I think do does have a real chance to improve elbow injuries. But that's a whole other podcast we can talk about some other time. But yeah, like I do like your question. I think has a very interesting answer. Simple answer that's baked into the question is like, you know what has been failing. It's like, well, with the rapid rise of technology and everything else, in elbow injury rates have not gotten any better over the last ten years. Arguably they've gotten worse. I don't know that that's the case, but we can definitely say they have not gotten better. So and it's not like we don't care about injuries. Obviously, Driveline does. MLB cares a lot, the union cares a lot, the players care a lot, the teams care, fans care, like everyone cares that people are getting hurt. And despite all that and all the research and all the money going to it, we have not made a lot of progress. So you know, insanity, right that fake quote by an Stein about insanity is doing the same thing over and over and.
Speaker 3: Expecting different results.
Speaker 1: Not not a real quote, but it is a good one to understand, Like that is what's happening. It is like, if if we're going to solve this, solve this elbow injury issue, it's not going to be with the tools we have today. It's got to be ones that develop and for better or worse. Drive Line is really the only organization that does do that. We're the only ones that are really looking outside the box and trying to develop new models.
Speaker 3: And if there's anything to.
Speaker 1: Be arrogant about and not modest, that's probably the thing that I am the most proud about is that we're willing to.
Speaker 3: Take a lot of l's to try to go from zero to.
Speaker 1: One in new areas, and other organizations seem not to be willing to do it.
Speaker 4: No, that's that's that's amazing to hear. I think from being an analyst on the outside, seeing all of the stuff that you guys put out from in the open book open biomechanics stuff is amazing to see that kind of like you're not just trying to create something proprietary here that all like save you guys. It's like if this does work, we'll want to want to get it to work for the whole like indus. I guess then, is like what skill sets of LEN had to be like brought into drive line that like didn't exist anymore. You've now got this motion capture stuff which can tell you that energy flow can tell you things about the muscle or whatever. Like do you now need to hire out like biomedicine like PhD students to understand actually like how the muscles are working in this kind of like kinetic flow, which you wouldn't have been focusing on to maybe four years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a college dropout, so you know I'm not you know, I gotta I've dropped out twice from undergrad yeah, that's not very good. But so yeah, we do need to bring in some expertise. But it's why I tweet a lot about AI. I just tweet about it today because deep Seak released an open source model. And the reason I tweeted about it a lot is because the type of employee we need I really don't know. Because I don't. It's hard to explain, like, we're so much more productive with the I tools that we have at drive Line. It's crazy to watch these midje The organization's not embrace it to get a lot better at these things.
Speaker 3: Because we're about to ship.
Speaker 1: I've tweeted about it recently, but there'll be a blog post coming out. So we're going to ship a battracking model from a single camera and from a single side view camera, we can accurately track bat speed and attack angle, which seems impossible from a two D camera, but we can because we fine tuned models and did a lot of experimentation. And so it'd be like, oh, they must be computer vision experts. Well, I've dropped out twice. I have no inform I have known specific knowledge of computer vision.
Speaker 3: But more importantly, I didn't work on that model. I basically just oversaw it.
Speaker 1: And the two people that worked on it, one of them plays for the Washington Nationals and is in a ball Adam Blowbomb, who'stud Now he's a college graduate.
Speaker 3: He's very smart. He studied biophysics in.
Speaker 1: College, so you know that is true that he has some knowledge but nothing in computer vision. And then the other person that works on it is a coach for the Dodgers, Clayton Thompson. And so both of those guys part time like develop a computer vision tracking model that's going to be exceptionally accurate and the best on the market that we use in our launch pad to help reduce the amount of technology and allow our hitting coaches to just coach rather than run these technology systems. And so I sail that because it doesn't necessarily answer your question. But it's like, who would have predicted that a guy with an MBA who is a strength coach and a player who pitches for the a ball team for the Nationals that don't They don't have any experienced computer science, neither of them.
Speaker 3: Neither of them.
Speaker 1: I don't think either of them really wrote any code before they started working at drive Line found this passion project and I've given them the resources and I've kind of guided them because I do have a lot of knowledge of computer science just broadly, so I helped kind of guide their learning. But I've I'm not responsible for any of that. Like they've they've shipped all that, and the blog they write is going to be they write it, I'll help edit it. And so I say that to be like, you know, that's who we're looking for a drive line. But what is that kind of person? I wish I could tell you.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's hard to know.
Speaker 1: These tools that exist these days with Google and AI are so powerful that they let sufficiently motivated people create amazing things. And that was a big reason to launch the Open Biomechanics Initiative, is to be like, hey, we want to give all this open source information away.
Speaker 3: Kyle Wasserberger deserves all the credit for that. I just kind of helped facilitate it.
Speaker 1: You know, he obviously works for Boston now, but you know, seeing people use this data and transform it because there wasn't anything like that, right, there was no open data that you could use.
Speaker 3: All these papers were published and then they hold on to the data.
Speaker 1: They don't keep it open a lot of it is due to ethics things that the universities aren't allowed to release the data I get that. You know, for us, we were able to anonymize it and send it out and so then your average college to our hope is that the average like you know, there's this nineteen year old kid who goes to a state school has to work full time job, just.
Speaker 3: Like I didn't.
Speaker 1: Didn't come up with a lot of money, and they in their spare time, you know, they don't have time to run a lab and collect data on twelve pitchers from the college team.
Speaker 3: You know that even want to do it.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like, no, they can get this database that it's the same data that we look at and analyze it with AI tools or whatever, and they need not be American, right like anyone that loves baseball in any other country or any other you know, knowledge these tools are so cheap and so available to use our data to maybe come.
Speaker 3: Up with some really interesting models. And that has happened.
Speaker 1: And that's why we push it because one, yeah, it's good for baseball, but make no mistake, if there's a selfish angle here is like if we release this open source information and people transform it, like, you know, we have a much better idea who we might want to hire in the future as well.
Speaker 3: And bring on.
Speaker 2: I want to ask a couple of questions Kyle about your time working in and with major league clubs. So the first is sort of a general view of what's evolved from a sort of organization level in terms of their approach to pitching and the way it sort of encapsulate this is it sort of feels as though. And we talked a lot about player centric customization over the course of this conversation, but that does seem to be the load staff for Like I was listening to Justin Willard's great podcast with Socks Prospects earlier this week, and he was talking about that the time of sort of pitching philosophies. You know, we pitched back to front or we you know, first pitched fastballs. That that's kind of gone now, right, Everyone is now very much on board the same train from play eccentric customization or is it more of a blend of both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Willard is the man, known him forever, you know, obviously really lucky to work with him.
Speaker 3: It's what I really pushed in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: I can just say, when I was in charge, the biggest thing that mattered to me was not the analytical approach, was not you know, etra trying to contract man. The most important thing was the culture and the environment that we built. And I'm proud of it because when one of my players, Spencer Stockton, I would guess, almost no one knows who.
Speaker 3: You finished up in Triple A.
Speaker 1: He was an un drafted signe nineteen, I believe, and he was just filling in and he's never pitching the big leagues and he's retired and he works at Cressy Performance now. But I was in Tampa a couple of months ago building out our facility and I had Spencer stop by and he talked to our employees about like, you know, I said, you know, I want you to tell if you know Spencer, you make it to know him someday. He's very honest, Spencer, And that's some really ridiculous arguments in our past. But I wanted Spencer to just talk about the environment with Cincinnati and what he got out of it. And he was very open and he's like, you know, the thing that matter the most was not like was was that was we built an environment everyone was held accountable, and that I treated Spencer and Randy Winn and all these other non drafts are free. I treated them the exact same I traded Nicolodolo and Hunter Green and Graham Ashcraft and all these other players. And that's where you have to start. Because in baseball right now, I mean, the list is public what everyone signed for where they were drafted. But the players know, right, and it's ridiculous to assume that like a player that signs for a dollar is going to get the same opportunities as someone who signed for ten million.
Speaker 3: Everyone understands this, and that's true. There's nothing you can really do about that. But then being said, like equality of how you coach these players and build the environment and hold them to standards, that's maybe not the case in most organizations. It definitely is not the case in the vast majority of organizations. And that's hard to transform that because people kind of think I just be for myself.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, okay, like I think that the non drafted free agents will be will like the fact that I treat them all the same, like that's better than where they've been. But it turns out that the prospects don't like being treated like special cases either, right. They want you know, equality, They want to know that everyone's being held account They want to be held accountable if they're a good player, they do, and Willard does.
Speaker 3: An extremely good job of that.
Speaker 1: But that was something I cared a lot about, which is always kind of surprising to people. The other they think it's like, oh, like spin rates and stuff plus and these models, and make no mistake, we use them quite a bit with the Reds. But none of that matters until you can truly, you know, level the playing field in terms of opportunity and hold people accountable. And what I found out with the Dodgers when I was there is like, when those non prospects start passing up the prospects, that that's.
Speaker 3: The best teaching moment that you can have.
Speaker 1: Is that like, okay, maybe I should be more of a minded or like, you know, they really do care about, you know, the fortieth rounder as much.
Speaker 3: As they care about the first rounder.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And that's I learned.
Speaker 1: That's the big thing I learned from La Interistin is that the best organizations are built that way and not from oh yeah, the best organizations don't look at prospect lists, you know, fangraphs and baseball perspectives in Baseball America, like they don't don't.
Speaker 3: Care about like who appears on these lists. I can tell you that. You know, in Boston it's like.
Speaker 1: Oh, who do we like Marcella Mayor more than Christian Campbell, more than Romanante?
Speaker 3: Who don't care?
Speaker 1: Don't care like you know, it's it's it's just how do we get them better and how do we make them big league assets?
Speaker 3: And that that's it.
Speaker 1: That doesn't that where where someone is on a list is is very that matters to really bad organizations, and it did. It doesn't matter to the best ones.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I wish I wish it mattered less to more fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I understand from the fans, but it's just like fans, how are they how are they supposed to enjoy that? You know? It's like, so I fans want a list, they want to see what's coming up. And I don't think it's bad. I don't think the lists are bad. I don't think it's bad at all. But it's like it has to be entertainment value, you know, so like that's that's what it's for, and it's good for entertainment value. It's good for a fansautic captain because they can't spend twenty hours a week learning about the best players.
Speaker 3: In Portland, you know or Greenville. Like it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 2: No, everyone is not everyone is me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, less expect that people care about that, you know, And so I don't get too mad about it, but internally, like it does, you know, and and fans do get a glimpse of it because like you're like, I'm gonna tune in and watch the NLCS or whatever.
Speaker 3: It's like, who is Ben Cospiraus? Who is that guy?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And it's like he's starting a game for the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: You know, we spent five hundred million on pictures and Ben Conspirace has to pitch.
Speaker 3: It's like he's pretty good actually, you know.
Speaker 1: It's like, how do you transform these players that maybe no one's heard of, it never appeared on the top thirty list, and then they're pitching in meaningful games. And that's the sign of a healthy organization. That's the side of a dominant organization. And that's the Dodgers. You know, we talk and complain about how much they spend, but you know, it matters that Ben Consparis is good for them. It matters that these players are you know that see these guys can can contribute meaningful innings because you know, as you've seen signing, the players get hurt and progression happens. So being able to have really strong depth is very important.
Speaker 2: And I'm interested like just sort of bringing it right up today in your career with the Red Sox, what if anything is is different working in an environment that's that's led by a guy who has been an incredibly successful player in his own right. You know, we've talked about Andrew Friedman. You worked under neck krawl at the Reds. Definitely now incredibly intelligent, smart, brilliant baseball minds. But is there anything different between these guys in Craig Breslow because you have Craig wrestlers, Wilter is winning pitcher in he's.
Speaker 1: Own running Yeah, indie ballplayer too released, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of difference.
Speaker 1: There's a big reason I had many opportunities to sign, you know, as a special advisor assistant. You know, I took a year off and just wasn't right two years actually, and then when Brez reached out.
Speaker 3: I was really down the line with a team.
Speaker 1: I was probably like a week from signing with another team and with a player that was running the team, and you know, Brez kind of jumped in and really made the pitch and it was a big difference.
Speaker 3: You could tell that. I could tell that, like, Okay, this is going to be different. How how he wants to run a Red Sox and he had enough he went to Yale.
Speaker 1: He's very smart, you know, he has enough business acumen on how to run an organization, which is important to me because Dick Williams was one of the best people I ever worked for in Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: He was awesome. But I saying that didn't care about culture. He really cared. But it was like Craig's been in the clubhouse.
Speaker 1: He understands, like innately how to treat these players and what we're trying to build, and culture is really important to them, Like it's reflected in the free agent signings that we do make and don't make, and that we tried to really care about. Because two of our best pictures are Rule five pictures, and that's justin Slayton and that's Gara Whitlock, you know, and it's a lot of players where there was Cambooser. You know, we wish them the best. Obviously he's moved on, but like guys like that really mattered to the organization. You know that may have been not the biggest prospects or whatever, or we're forgotten or left off lists. That's a really good culture that you build and we can't screw it up, Like we need to make sure that we have a growth mindset and build you know what is hopefully going to be, you know, the Red Sox juggernaut and adding on those free agents and adding on and spending. But you really can't screw up that culture because no amount of money can fix that, no amount of you know, free agents. You have to be really mindful of the coaches bring in. And Andrew Bailey is incredible with that Alex Cora, what's there to say, you know, I mean he's the man, right, so those things are really important to them and we're what it's sometimes loss is in the front office.
Speaker 3: The culture or you know, the intangibles are like secondary things or maybe they don't care at all, right, but sometimes maybe it's just secondary thing. For Bres and these guys, it's a primary thing I really care about it. It's it's hard to quantify, maybe impossible to quantify, but it doesn't make it not important.
Speaker 1: It's not all about winds above replacement. It's not all about dollars for wins above replacement. It's about the culture that you said, and how do we build this and do something that's going to last a long time. And I think that that's what I'm really really excited about. So my renegotiations for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: When I signed my contract, I was like, I want to come back. I want a very small percentage raise and let's just get this done. And Bres It's like all right.
Speaker 1: I was like, I don't really want to, like act like I'm going to go somewhere else, Like I just want to.
Speaker 3: I want to be here for the next couple of years and build it.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he's arened my loyalty for sure, and I hope hopefully I've done the same.
Speaker 4: No, that's that's amazing, Cale, And thank you so much for everything you've told us today.
Speaker 2: It's been fascinating.
Speaker 3: Just got one final question.
Speaker 4: I was initially going to ask you, like what advice you would give to young coaches or players who were getting into like a data driven approach is what they were doing. But I feel from like what we've discussed today, and I don't want to preempt your answer to that, it's like, but is it actually still treat the game like it's fun. Still treat the game like you enjoy yourself. You don't have to get lost in the numbers when you're fourteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's definitely a big part. But you also have to go coach.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of people that want to work in pro ball that have never coached before, you know, and they're like, oh, I'll go work at a facility. I'll go, And that's fine, you can work a drive line, but you also got to go coach a team because for as much fun as people make, like, oh, I can't believe they're bunting and these people are so stupid and they're bunting and giving away out. I promise you the only way you can understand it is you can be the smartest guy most analytically that I read moneyball, believe in all of that. But until you go coach, you don't know what it's like to be a manager. You have runners on first in secon and you're down by one and you have a hitter that sucks up there and you don't know what it's like to because it's like the green Goblin.
Speaker 3: Mask is calling. It's like you should bun here.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like you never you don't even believe it, but you can hear it, you can feel it. And so until you've gone and done experienced it, you know something is terrible, as like if you coach long enough, someone's gonna you know, someone's gonna need surgery, someone's gonna hurt their arm, and then how do you deal with that? You know, like I can still remember the first person was mad Mercer, you know, and then you know, crying in an office with them, and you know, because it's like, oh, it's an injury, like because for fans, and that's what I wouldn't say bothers me, but it's it's hard for them to understand. And you know it's like, oh, so and so I had Tommy John and he'll be back in sixteen months, but it's like, you know what it's like for sixteen months, Like what it's like for that guy, Like it's it's not just.
Speaker 3: This, oh I'm losing money or whatever it's in an island. You're banished to the complex. You show up at seven am, you do your rehab stuff. You're done by ten and that's it. There's no team, you don't play games, and every day is Groundhog Day. You show up, you do the same life intensity exercises. Your arm hurts sometimes a dozen other times you do do I want to retire? Do I still want to do this?
Speaker 1: And going through that with someone will give you such an appreciation for how important it is that we continue to make progress and human condition.
Speaker 3: Really, so, my biggest advice is, like, you have to go coach a team.
Speaker 1: Specifically, you can't just go coach individuals. You have to understand team dynamics. You have to go coach a team, and then all your great plans on how to use blast anensors in motion capture will immediately be put to the test and none of them are going to work. That's good because like you figure out, how does your plan? No plan survives contact with the enemy, as they say, you know, so go coach, Go coach.
Speaker 2: No amazing, kids love that. Kyle, Thanks so much for your time. If people aren't following you, they're probably living under a rock in baseball line. But where can people find the tweets, the blogs, all of the open source information that you guys are drive line is sharing just a few months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for base for chess at drive line, Kyle, I tweet a lot about chess, that's great.
Speaker 3: But if you're less interested in chess, say ad drive line BB is.
Speaker 1: The corporate account, and I don't run that because you know, I have some twenty year olds that are way better at the Internet than me, so they do that. So and then driveline baseball dot com. And then for the open sort of stuff, you can just search open by Mechanics on GitHub or openbi mechanics dot org. And we're always releasing more and more stuff computer vision, I performance, pitching and hitting or all in there as well.
Speaker 2: Awesome, Thanks so much for your time call. It's an absolutely amazing conversation.
Speaker 3: All right, Thanks guys, and I appreciate it.