Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are. Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are crying or trail off.
Speaker 1: The countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, Goldplay Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick coffee?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm really glad. I looked at the microphone levels here before I turned this microphone on and began to yap like I'm doing right now, because it was it was at max volume. And you know what that told me. That told me that one somebody was in here liking the microphone really really loud. And it tells me that Shannon the dude is back because he's got to be officially deaf with every like. Not only does he need his levels up as high as it goes, he needs to hear in the headphones as loud as it goes. There's also speakers in here for you know, playing sound when we're not on the air. When you don't need your headphones. He needs that as loud as it goes. So he's a max volume kind of guy. And you know, last week being back from vacation, so you know, technically two weeks not in the same studio with the one and only Shannon the dude.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I'm glad I remember to take a look at the levels, because if I would have just got I about have got the show started without adjustments here, I might never hear anything again.
Speaker 4: I would be deaf, I believe. But sounds good for him on his end when you hear him. But I guess he probably knows how to control himself at those high of octave.
Speaker 2: My man's been doing this a long time. Of course, he knows the sweet spot. He's a very tall guy.
Speaker 4: Maybe it takes a lot to get it, take his body to register what he's hearing, so it needs to be extra loud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's I mean again, he's He's done a lot of things in his career. He's very six. Shannon's a very and I say this with all of and I mean it because Shannon's a great guy. Happy to call him a friend. He's a very interesting guy. Like there's a lot like he's one of those. And this there might be some slight exaggeration here, but if you know Shannon a little bit, or even if you listen to him on the air with KSR on his rock show, whatever it may be, Shannon's got an element to him where there's really not much that you could say about him that would surprise you. Now, if you found out he was a serial killer. I don't mean that, but like something he'd be interested in, something he did, something he likes, like he's always got you on your toes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's just say this for the figure that he is and for everybody knowing who he is.
Speaker 2: If you think you know Shannon the dude and you really you really don't. Yeah, and that's that's what that's what you know.
Speaker 3: Plays it plays cards close to the vest sot.
Speaker 2: Folks can't get enough of him because as soon as you think you you know, you've gotten to know him pretty well and nothing's going to surprise you, then you find out you know, you know, he can he's a pianist or something like. I don't know if he is, but if aget, if I heard that, I wouldn't totally be zig. And now he's just been given three minutes of this show as we get it started, so we don't say we never did something for you.
Speaker 3: Shittd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're on every platform we have here at iHeart, I believe in some aspects. And now you just got the first three minutes and twenty seconds of coffee and company. So you're welcome and welcome back from your spring break vacation. For me, this is week two getting started, of course, back from vacation. And man, I don't need a vacation. I'm good, I'm ready to go. But the weekend went by so fast. I was busy doing a lot of stuff, a lot of good stuff, a lot of family stuff. And we had perfect weather. And I realized that the cancelation of thunder of a Louisville had nothing to do with what was going to be happening as far as rain and flooding while the event is supposed to go on. But man, could we have had a better weekend if, in fact we didn't get hit with an unbelievable amount of rain a week prior. How perfect was did this weekend?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: It was great. Baseball was going on. It was a great time to get outside and walk. I hear like yesterday was the perfect day to go to like Low's home depot, get all your mult get all your gardening stuff, Cuz go ahead and get ahead, start on it because everything's you're starting to see weeds at your house. Do you get a lot of weeds or you like mostly grass over over the state.
Speaker 2: My wife is real big on making sure there's no weeds in the flower bed. And we get our we get our lawn treated, and you know we treated, yeah, you know, not just like we don't just have somebody that that comes and cuts it, but like you know, they.
Speaker 3: Like feeds it and nourish it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, we got a real healthy lawn. And usually it's usually something that one would brag about. But and I've talked about this before. I I don't have anything to do with my lawn looking great. We got a guy and he's great. Uh he's he's a very successful ashiness man, has his own company. He's done real well from stuff. I've known him almost my whole life. His mother was my kindergarten teacher, so right now, he's he's he's.
Speaker 3: Great at what he does.
Speaker 2: We appreciate him and and it's a great investment that we make to to have a great lawn, and I love it. But I realized once it was clear to everybody on my street that that beautiful lawn may be one of the best lawns you're going to see on my street. They know that I don't have anything to do with it. I'm just paying a guy. Like they don't really have any respect for you know what I mean. Like I've told the story before. I was walking to the end of our court cul de sac, whatever you want to call it, and one of the guys was outside and he knew we were coming from from our home and I was out with the kids, and he was like, man, I gotta ask.
Speaker 3: You, what are you.
Speaker 2: Putting on that? And I'm like, no clue what he was talking about. He's talking about the lawn, and I you know, I looked at him shrug like, yeah, I don't know. Man, we pay a guy. He does a great job. I can give you his business card. But like there was the body language and just you know, I communicate with a lot of people. I feel like I'm pretty good, not not better than than you know, maybe the average. But you can always tell when you when you're talking to somebody, at least to an extent, like where their energy is right. I feel like this guy was about to really compliment me and pick my brain on how great my lawn looked. And as soon as he realized I'm just paying a guy or a company to do it, I mean, it was like a deflation and of like, yeah, the hell with you, man, I got no worry.
Speaker 3: Man wanted to talk some grass.
Speaker 2: Not only do I no longer like have anything that I want to hear from you because you're not responsible for that beautiful, luscious law you have, but I've also lost respect because a man is supposed to be cutting his own lawn, which we've had that conversation before. I'm insecure. I I don't cut my grass, but I do feel like and I'm not out here ever. I mean, I don't know if there's ever any instance you could say that I'm someone that is always trying to really express masculinity and I'm just, you know, the manliest of men. I'm not at all. But it's the one thing that I don't do that I kind of feel like makes me less of a man, is that I don't I don't take care of my own lawn, but my wife, she and I both know that it's it's a it's a good I mean, it's it's worth the cost because we have a great lawn. And if I was to go back and do it and put a lot more, you know, put time into it and try, I could try for years, I would never have the ability to make her lawn look as good as it does right now. Okay, it'd be it'd be a decision to make if, in fact, like I felt as if my wife was, you know, thinking as if she's no longer with a man who can't even take care of his own lunch. She knew what she married, right, She didn't trust me. There was no scenario where when she decided, yeah, I think I'll give this guy a chance.
Speaker 3: Those sorry bread's. But she knows that there's no.
Speaker 2: Scenario where she was I guess, you know, realizing that she was actually gonna, you know, spend a life with me. It wasn't because she's got herself this burly man who's just doing the manliest things out there. Although I do remind her once every now and again that I can I can replace a tire, I can put a flat, you know, I can. I can put the doughnut tire on for it. I can replace ours and I haven't done it in a long time, but I have changed my own oil before. That's it's that manly. I feel like it's manly.
Speaker 4: Of course, change my al is not something I'm gonna do, but it's really not tough to do.
Speaker 3: Honestly.
Speaker 2: You just kind of have to have all the stuff. Yeah, it's really not that difficult. But it's a dirty job. And you know it's it's it's it's something you probably no matter if you know how to do, even if there is a cost of difference clearly to go get the stuff you need or to have somebody do it because of the world that it is. Again, not like you're out here doing something that nobody can do, but like if you could avoid doing that, you would, right, I mean, it's something that would be fun.
Speaker 4: But uh, conversely, I always have always, I have always loved the activity of actively mowing a grass, mowing a lawn.
Speaker 3: Now, all this stuff that comes with you say you miss it.
Speaker 2: I kind of missed the therapy of just being out by myself, listening to music or podcast podcast or something, and just like you know, there aren't many things that I do on a daily basis at this point in my life that I'm alone with my thoughts. Like and it's a good thing, you know what I mean, But like, if you're just out there, I mean, you're not talking anybody, you're cutting the grass. You know, you're just you're you're alone with your thoughts. But I you know, I used to I guess in a way it kind of felt therapeutic.
Speaker 3: And yeah, strangely therapy.
Speaker 2: But now, like you know, if if my wife was like she would tell me, all right, if you really want to go out there and you know, have your own therapy session and try to you know, recover from the insecurity issues you have about cutting the lawn, we'll get you one that's like Moos's right, doesn't actually cut the lawn. You just push it around out there and pretend that you're cutting the lawn, because she'll be damned if she's gonna let me butcher what has been you know, has for the most part, we've had a mean again, it feels weird like bragging on it. I'm proud of it, but like I have nothing to do with it. I just pay somebody to do it and they do a great job.
Speaker 3: So currently I have. I have a backyard, but it's absolutely destroyed. We have a dog.
Speaker 2: Is it destroyed because of the dog, because of the flooding both?
Speaker 4: You know, it's destroyed solely from the dog also us as being a terrible dog. There's holes doug back there. There's our hot tub. Is I feel like it's falling apart. There's a cover that goes on the hot tub. The dog jumps up on that all the time. She rips that stuff. There's about three or four different hoses out there just laying in my backyard that are chewed up, and I've had to get them from my dad each time, and I have yet to tell him that the latest one also had gotten chewed up. So I'm ready for that conversation. And there's we tried to We tried to feed grass, bermuda grass into it last summer. Didn't necessarily work just because the back is so spotty, and then it just turned out being weeds everywhere.
Speaker 2: So you put a lot of effort and resources into the backyard. Try it's still a mess, right.
Speaker 4: It's terrible. So like now I have to go out there with the weed eater. I can't even do like a And eventually we had Maultch just thrown down over it.
Speaker 2: It would stress me I just to look at it, because you'd feel like, man, this is like, what are we gonna do here? Well, it was easy when it was nothing. But how have you never let me be an ear for you to talk through this? Because I can tell it's called it in I was gonna say, it's what us men do. So two things in this ten and a half minutes we've had probably not accomplished much of anything yet to start the show. But that's okay, we're easing into it. It's a Monday one. I think the Bullet County and me is rubbing off on you because it didn't sneak past me when you said all change. You said, oh, I know you group a lot in Arizona. They said definitely. But like I think that Bullet County twang that I every now and then can't can't resist. I think it rubbed off on you, but it made me happy that you said, oh awesome. Also, I think it's kind of like, I'm I'm like, how about have we gotten so close over the years. I mean, we're basically in a marriage together on this show? Sure, And you never told me you had a hot tub, Like you're holding out on me, Like how do you?
Speaker 4: I mean, like I feel like I don't even know you. We got the hot tubs started a little late this year.
Speaker 3: I got a hot tub.
Speaker 2: You know about it, Austin.
Speaker 4: I guess you're right. Well we're gonna have it. We're going to try to put the pool back up. The last couple of years we've had like a little wayfair pool out there with all like the pipes and drapes that you have to put the little thing into the socket and pop it.
Speaker 3: That had actually gotten torn up last year, not.
Speaker 4: By the dog, No, I was I was weed eating around it and the blade actually cut the liner.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that'll do it. Nothing.
Speaker 4: Some some gorilla tape couldn't fix. So that actually held it. But now it's just like there's just so much stuff back there.
Speaker 3: There's rocks.
Speaker 4: There was some sort of landscaping last year where my wonderful fiance was like lining up stones and had her own flower bed. Once again, the dog takes those stones. They're all over the place. There's mulch all over the place. It's uneven surfaces, there's there's there's holes, there's chewed up dogs. You know what's wild is that I'm starting to get stressed thinking about it.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean pressure.
Speaker 2: I don't want to uh, I don't want to get your hopes up for anything. But these are the kind of conversations that happened to where there's a listener that you know, may actually be in the business of repairing all these things that you're having an issue with, to where you could then come on the airwaves and talk about how great of a job and how the backyard is is in good shape, and how about that hot tub looking sexy or you can you know, I mean like if I had a hot tub, it might become a whole personality, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like the hot tub. The hot tub looks like a mess.
Speaker 4: Nick when I get home, I'm gonnahow, I'm gonna show you it's it's the siding panel is come off, and so the.
Speaker 2: Hot tub is being held back by the backyard very much.
Speaker 3: And especially like you like the chill.
Speaker 4: I get jealous listening to Wight every morning. Yeah, guy goes out into his hot tub every single day.
Speaker 2: He way he has ever been in his hot tub? Not fully nude, No.
Speaker 4: Way, I would be surprised if he's ever worn any sort of underwhelm.
Speaker 2: Will be honest, if he's ever been if he's ever won anything in his hot tub. I would be surprised and disappointed.
Speaker 4: Actually, if I ever went over to his house and he came out and closed, I would say, dude, come on, if you.
Speaker 3: Know what you're doing.
Speaker 2: If you show up to Dwight Whitton's house and the expectation is it's going to be a hot tub party and you show up naked and he gets surprised, he can't blame anybody but himself exactly. He set the tone, we know, like he has to just expect everybody to show up nude.
Speaker 3: Right, I don't think that I would want it.
Speaker 2: Maybe invite Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: We'll get invited to that. We'll see what a Dwight Witten hot tub party is like. But at the moral of the moral of the story, at the end of the day, it's easy to just ah, I'll look past that in a few months when it's all snowy out there here. I'm thinking the snow for a whole month is just going to wash all that stuff away.
Speaker 3: One day I'll magically come out and it's clean. No it's not. It's just even muddier, nastier. Now it's hotter.
Speaker 4: And then the inevitability of hey, Austin, you need to get out here and do this before it's too late is starting to creep in. And this is where I start to push things off, push things off, and what causes will settle me in a.
Speaker 2: Wedding you're planning. I mean like that that that usually true too would take priority.
Speaker 3: House dad doesn't take a back seat.
Speaker 2: Let's let's move on, because now I'm getting stressed out for all these like things we got to worry about.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's just that's just about escape. That's just a backyard. All right.
Speaker 2: Well again I'm telling you, I guess for the first time this is Coffee and Company, and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate your hanging out with us, Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery, the travel chief alongside taking you up till six o'clock, a lot to react to you from the weekend, which usually when I say that in mid April, it's a it's a complete lie because you know, usually there's really not a ton going on from the weekend for me that I'm like eager. You know, we can always make it work. But I'm not somebody who gives a flying rats behind about baseball. We all know that. And as I discussed last week, especially on Friday, I'm just not a golf guy. But I will I'll tell you I watched yesterday's final day of the Masters, and I won't lie and act like it was awesome. I'm all in on golf, but it was some I'm usually, especially this day and age as I get older, I don't. I don't succumb to the pressure of like missing out or the fear of missing out on stuff as much as I used to. Meaning if I know that everybody is watching something and it's all anybody, and I shouldn'tay everybody, but like anybody that I like my peers, my friends, people who you know are interested in the same things like I am.
Speaker 3: Sports.
Speaker 2: When when the Masters is it full of is all anybody's talking about. I'm usually at a point where, okay, you know what, I'm not gonna lie to myself. I know that I don't care. I'm not gonna watch, so I'll go do something else like it doesn't make me feel like, Okay, I don't really care about it. I don't know anything about it, but man, I gotta watch because everybody else is doing it.
Speaker 3: I did watch yesterday, but it wasn't because of that.
Speaker 2: It was because it kind of just played out to where you know, and I'll explain on the other side, because it was it was entertaining. I don't I go I want lie and act like yesterday was the day for me where it hooked me and I'm now going to start keeping.
Speaker 3: Up with golf.
Speaker 2: But like everything, as far as how it played out with Rory McElroy, I mean, that was entertaining. I think you can not know anything about golf just like me and be able to kind of see what was happening as that thing was finishing up and it was high level entertainment. I still will stand by, you know, and I'm an outsider. So I'm not making request that golf as a sport or the Masters as a tournament an event changes anything, because they don't need me. They're doing just fine without me. But what I kind of thought was, and it's more than anything, it's probably just because this is kind of new to me. I've never really been into golf before, and I guess I still technically am not, but like it's not a super inviting thing. Like it's way more dramatic than.
Speaker 3: It needs to be. It takes it the.
Speaker 2: Masters, you would know better than me, Austin the Masters, it's kind of a different level of like all right, we get it. Like, you know, it's not that serious, right, Like golf is a gentleman's game. There are you know, there's etiquette that kind of stuff, and that matters, and the people who really love golf that's something that means a lot to them, So I get that. But like there's certain aspects of the Masters that's like all right, come on, guys, like you know, I understand, like this is the way it's always been, and you really want to overdo it with like elegance and class and grace, but like, you know, it just you know, it seemed a little much, but in the end a very entertaining and exciting finish. So we can we can talk about that, believe it or not. I will tell you I've got some thoughts to share, which hard for me to really sell that as a sell. Yeah, hard for me to sell that Whenever I've been telling you guys, I don't know anything about it, and we checked to see if pigs are flying. I mean it's it's uh, it was something, it really was. So there's that. Also, we were getting closer and closer to I think nobody being able to at any point tell you that, and maybe we're already there. But the Nico situation at Tennessee, and I say Nico because I don't really know how to say his last name without butchering a lama lavela. Does that sound right?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: So I did a quick reference before the show started today because I'm going to try to figure out if I would be able to say it, Like the one that everybody talked about as just impossible to say was tua tua tug of aaloa. But I feel like that actually is not that difficult.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 2: I mean even whenever it was nude, everybody like, I don't think it was that difficult to figure out how to say it. But when it comes to this, So this is Molly Quorum, who I believe is on she she's ESPN's she's basically one of I don't know what do you call her.
Speaker 3: She's like she's like the mediator.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, that's that's probably the best way to describe it. But she's on first take, and even she sounded unconfident in how she said it, But I'm going to assume that she is correct and how you say it. All right, guys, I got another story for his controversial one here. Tennessee has moved on from starting quarterback Nicolava.
Speaker 4: He was, Uh, maybe I think I like that, or are we mistaking the first L for an I I don't know because of.
Speaker 2: It, but I'm telling you, when it comes to when it comes to names like this or just ones that aren't super common that you don't hear a whole lot, I feel more confident in if people are saying it correctly or incorrectly, by their confidence right to be honest with you. She didn't sound that confident, did she. I mean she's to be honest, she never does. Yes, fair enough, But anyways, my point is, I mean, this guy held out for more money, didn't show up anymore to his spring practice and team meetings whatever it was this past week, and then got they cut ties from him like we have had. I mean, again, I'm sure it's happened elsewhere, but maybe not to this level as far as the Tennessee starting quarterback, but he didn't get money that he and his family, slash camp.
Speaker 3: Or whatever felt like he was worth.
Speaker 2: So the school had to move on from him because at that point it turns into where even if he does come back, and let's say they did give him whatever money he wanted, there's no way to know. We'll never know, but that can't be good for your locker room. And that kind of stuff matters more than anything. That is one of the that is one of the factors in this new world that probably, I mean, it's known by average fans, but it just probably I don't think it comes to mind as much as far as how value how important.
Speaker 3: It actually is.
Speaker 2: Is that knowing that everybody in your locker rooms not making the same amount of money, and everybody's gonna probably know that, and you've just got to do whatever you can to sell culture, to sell the buy into where that doesn't that doesn't linger in somebody's mind and they become resentful, and then you've got a locker room that's just really not on the same page. So if you've got guys that you know are talented and you feel like, hey, since we're paying players. Now, I guess this guy's money is worth it because he's talented. But if he's bringing all that and it's going to create turmoil within your locker room, I mean you've got to cut ties. You've got four players that are super talented, and you paid a bunch of money to make it happen. But yet maybe the way they carry themselves, or maybe you know, maybe there's other others in your locker room them that are more jealous than anybody else, and they start to really you know, that starts to become infectious to where the rest of the locker room is kind of you know, not ganging up on the guys who are getting all the money, but you know feel in a certain way because they realized that, you know, they're making a fraction of what these guys are making. I mean that's we've already been there as far as everybody making a big different amount of money. And I always say this when it comes to I mean being an adult, which these college athletes believe it or not their adults, but like you, like not everybody's gonna make the same money the rest of life. Like you get what you were worth, what somebody's willing to pay you, and that's just how it is. So there's some life lessons along the way here as far as just understanding that you're gonna probably have a job when you don't play football or basketball, whatever it is, and you know, you're gonna know that somebody may be in an apartment, it's not putting in the hours you are, that's not working as hard as you, that's not dependent upon quite like you are, and they may make thirty forty percent more than you, and that's gonna burn your ass, right, it's gonna make you mad, it's gonna make you resent things, and I mean.
Speaker 3: Welcome to life.
Speaker 2: I mean, I bet there are people listening right now that have encountered somebody today at their job that they feel a certain way about because they just know that that person doesn't do as much as they do. They're they're not as you know, they're not needed quite as much as you, and they make more money than you. That not to say everybody listening is in that position, but I'm sure there are plenty, because again, that's that's the real world. But anyways, the Tennessee story is wild. Also, Kentucky picked up another commitment, but it wasn't from the portal. It's a guy from across the pond, which I've got, I've got not I think I've said this before, but in this new world where you randomly end up adding guys from the portal that you've never heard of, or now maybe guys from across the pond, like all of this should just be we should have a level of like reflection. I know, we get insane back and forth with this rivalry about louisvill basketball Kentucky basketball, because that's just I mean, it's it's a it's a big deal around here, and there's never gonna be a scenario where we're not spending the off season months go back and forth about which team is going to be better that kind of stuff, And that's just the way it works within a rivalry. But I do wish if we just, you know, for a brief second, took a step back and reflected. A lot of us are yelling about players being better than the other guys player the other team's players, when when you and again, that's what you do.
Speaker 3: It's a rivalry.
Speaker 2: It's petty, it's childish, but like, can we just realize that the majority maybe not the majority, but a lot of the players that are going to be new to Kentucky and new to Louisville this year that aren't you know, big highly touted incoming freshmen. We'd never heard of them until they either committed to said school or they appeared on the radar. And yet you know, we think we know everything about how good they're going to be, this and that, And I just wish, I really wish we lived in a world where we could just be real with ourselves and everybody else and claim, like, I'm really excited about this guy, but I've never heard of him until you know, he was either committed to Louisville, Kentucky or was a to Like we all know that's the truth. Let's just live in reality. So again, we're loaded today. In fact, there's a lot of other things we're going to get into, but for the sake of time, I'm gonna go ahead and take our first break, try to keep this thing on track. It is Coffee and Company, and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, so real quick. I know, you know how the final rankings, the AP poll, on the Coaches poll in college basketball, how it finished up is. I mean, it's not something I usually remember in previous years going back and making sure I see how these things finished up. But I do think from perspective of where Louisville was a year ago today and where they are now, I mean year one, I mean, it would be blasphemy, I think to say that Pat Kelsey's not ahead of schedule and looks as if you know he's gonna get me already. Did he already got this team without a tournament run? You know you really Usually it's something like that that you would equate to to say, Wow, what a special season. But what I hoped all along ended up happening for me as a fan. And I'm only speaking for myself because maybe there's some that disagree. Louisville losing in the first round the tournament and being I think, you know, hilariously incorrectly seated as an eight. It sucks, But there was so much good and joy that came with year one of Pat Kelcey, and I am so confident and excited about the future here with Pat Kelcey that I don't need a postseason run for me to look back at year one here and say that it was great.
Speaker 3: So for what it's worth, Louisville finished.
Speaker 2: At number twenty one in both of the Coaches Poll and AP Poll, and I just feel like, again another thing to throw out there, if you'd just said that after one year Louisville will be a ranked team in both polls. I mean, I know we oftentimes say rankings don't really matter, and I'm not going to contradict myself and say that they don't, but it is.
Speaker 3: It gives you a level of you know how your person.
Speaker 2: And when it comes to perception of Pat Kelsey and what he's been able to do, I mean the future. There's a lot of people confident that this is going to be a season next year that is much better than the one you just had, because everywhere you look, Louisville's view to be a pre season top five to top ten, some people have him in the top three. So good stuff, no doubt. Right, It's coffee and Company, and we are fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to nine. He appreciate you hanging out with us. They've still got the great deal going on. It's more like a steal because they're going to let you get four Monster Energy drinks for just seven bucks. That is if you are a member of the Refreshing Awards program at Thornton so signed to it. If you have, and it's easy to do, download the app on your iPhone or your Android phone and you'll be good to go. All right. So I'm not going to talk a whole lot of golf and Master's action from the weekend because I'm not even really sure if I'd be capable of doing that, but because I don't really ever watch golf. But yesterday here's how it played out for me. We had our first of what will be a few different Easter celebrations. We were with my wife's family at her grand mother's house, and as you could expect, you know, as folks are eating a nice Easter lunch and getting ready to hide the Easter eggs for the kids to go find, the TV just stayed on the Masters and I wasn't, you know, watching that closely.
Speaker 3: But as we were getting to.
Speaker 2: You know, the final the you know, rounding out the final day of the event, was quite clear what was going on right, Rory McIlroy. He was in control, looks as if it was his to lose, and then of course he would have a goof And there was so much an dissipation to see if in fact he was going to be able to hold on and you know, have a lot of bad holes that looked as if you know that's going to likely cost him, is he really going to do it?
Speaker 3: Not like this, Rory.
Speaker 2: I mean, those are the kind of things a lot of people were saying, and that was enough for me to at least be intrigued, right, like if it would Because the people who love golf, or even if you just you know, maybe you don't love it, but you enjoy it and you find it entertaining to watch those folks, they probably don't necessarily need any crazy scenario like yesterday with extra rounds and whatnot, because they're gonna watch regardless. For me, you know, it doesn't do much for me, But yesterday, the way it all played out, I was interested enough because I wanted to see, Okay, is this guy gonna be able to hold on and get it done or will it be And again, this is where I really am, just being out there and being vulnerable to be made fun of about this. But you can make fun of if you want. I mean, it's just being honest. I don't know much about golf, but like, would that have been an old time collapse had he not won? Had to okay because for me, I'm thinking, of course, look at the reaction and man, like, how does he go from having you know, what was it the I mean he had a four stroke lead with eight holes to play, and I mean he had himself in the water a.
Speaker 4: Couple of times, right, yeah, and he was playing safe for the most part too. Once he had that lead on and Deshambo started completely falling apart than Justin Rose treats back up the leader from Thursday and Friday, and then Rory had that amazing Saturday and then it started to haunt him again in that back nine. Actually, you can't say back nine when you're talking about the Masters. It's the second.
Speaker 2: Nine, now, I know. I wouldn't have known that.
Speaker 4: Apparently back nine it sounds too much like backside, and the Masters has a bunch of weird rules, you know, the whole patrons fans thing. You're not allowed to say that. You can't you can't say rough. It's got to be called second time.
Speaker 2: They've got some specific rules that yes, have just always been rules.
Speaker 3: Yes, it would have been.
Speaker 4: It would have been an absolute meltdown because that probably, I think this may it may have probably been Rory's last shot at the Masters, unless you were to do it again next year.
Speaker 3: But it's super hard to creep up.
Speaker 4: And stay in the lead, and especially over there at Augusta, it's a really tough course. And just I mean, how many times have you ever I know you said you're not like a real golf fan, but it's always kind of been on and it's on your Twitter, and you kind of like you are. You always kind of know who wins because you'll see the memes. But over the years, like how many times do you ever see like a ran dumb person winning the Masters and it's someone that you don't know?
Speaker 3: It's almost all the time.
Speaker 4: So this could have been Rory's last shot, and it was almost an epic collapse.
Speaker 2: This was the second time that I've ever actually I shouldn't say go out of my way, but like it wasn't just I was relying on what people were telling me would happen by following Twitter or you know, the or Sports Center that night, Like I made sure to find a remote and put it on because I wanted to see it. That was yesterday. And then the other one was when Tiger did it twenty nineteen. Yeah, yeah, I mean that was eighteen, and that was so Again, as someone who's so not just don't know a whole lot about golf, I've not been exposed to it a whole lot. It's just not something I know a lot about. And if I really wanted to know more about it, I could easily learn, but I just, you know, it's never really hooked me. But whenever Tiger had it rolling and it looked as if this was about to happen, it was still something at that time that people thought would never happen again because of everything that had transpired with him. So that that's what hooked me. And he's a larger than life. I mean, he's one of the most highly publicized known athletes of my lifetime. I would say Hi and Michael Jordan are probably the two that as far as just fame and when they had the buzz they had, I mean, there's just really nothing that would compare to them in their own sports. So that got me and then yesterday again, I think I think once I could see this is something that interested me. And I know it's gonna sound like people like, yeah, that's why golf's great, you dumb ass, Why are you like, why are you talking about it like it's something nobody's ever watched before? So again, trust me, I'm aware that this is probably something that has always been really uh, something that hooks you in as a golf fan.
Speaker 3: But to see how.
Speaker 2: Visibly Rory mackleroy was melting right and to know like all the pressure like that interested me enough. And I won't say like I was rooting for him to choke it away, but you know the fact that he kept being in position to put it away and then he couldn't do it like that that added a level of interest to see, Okay, is he gonna keep choking it away when he's got the thing, when he's got the opportunity to kind of put this thing away? So you know, it's again I don't know this, but it seems like he's a pretty likable guy within his sports or no, like I think so, I think he's very well like I felt like people, I felt like people were really genuinely happy for me. But then again, there's also a part of me just thinking okay, because this is such a sophisticated event. That is the masters that like, no matter who wins, they'll find a way to be classy and happy for them.
Speaker 3: Like are their villains in golf?
Speaker 2: I think there are, but maybe not, you know, yeah, oh they live guys or Shooter McGavin out there, bryceon Deshambeau, bryceon De'shambeau.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would, I would. I wouldn't say, like maybe to your general people, because he's he's golf with Trump and he's shown his support for that kind and he also does like the live golf too, and people look at those golfers and Phil Mickelson still does that and they look at those golfers like Phil, Yeah, yeah, how I mean he's been been a while since you know, it has been, but yeah, those guys took the Saudy Arabia money. They don't they don't look at them like traditional lists.
Speaker 2: So I mean, I I know that there are people listening that really love golfer. Maybe they don't. They just keep up with it and like these two dumb asses, which by the way, you you know, way more about it.
Speaker 3: Than I do wonder how it sounds the average list.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they're like these guys have a sports show, Get these clowns out of here, which I get it. I promise you we're gonna not make fools. I'm not gonna make a full of myself. It's a huge Yeah, let's talk about it, and I am, you know, not to make it all about me, because again, golf spawned without me. I can never watch golf again, never talk about it again, and golf it's just gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: But it was after last week kind.
Speaker 2: Of mentioning, you know what, golf is the one sport that I clearly should know more about. I could easily have, you know, done some homework and it wouldn't have taken a whole lot of effort to you know, be a little bit more informed on the sport of golf. I've just never really done it. But yesterday was like many many, many other years of the Masters, where it's it's impossible to not know that it's going on. It's also impossible to not know who's like playing well because it's all anybody's talking about.
Speaker 3: And in previous years, I don't.
Speaker 2: Really I don't really succumb to the the to the fomo, the fear of missing out like I'm fine, not you know, like instead of keeping up with the masters, all go outside and you know, throw football with my son and really not care who wins and I'll find out later and it's whatever. But because of, you know, the way it was playing out, I did have interest enough to where I wanted to make sure I got to see how it ended. And I felt like, you know, it was entertaining. I thought Mike Rosenberg, who writes for Sports Illustrated, he had a great column on it, which again I felt like I was growing as not a golf fan, but you know, just learning about golf because I could I read it in its entirety, and you know, there's some terminology, there's just some stuff about golf that I don't know a lot about. But I was able to keep up with it, and I thought it was really well dumb. And I'm gonna read for you a little excerpt here because I think, really this really it kind of puts in perspective just how wild that finished was. And wild it's probably not even the right way to describe it. And I'm sure the golf purists wouldn't like me saying, man, that was wild, but it was. You know, the beauty of Rory's win is probably the best way to describe it. That's how Mike Rosenberg talks about it. But it says whether you think golf is the greatest game in the world or the most ridiculous, the twenty twenty five Masters is your best argument. Maclroy made four double double bogies this week and still won. He built a four stroke lead with eight holes to play. From there, he nearly found water on number eleven, hit an unthinkably atrocious wedge into the water. On thirteen, hit an outrageous draw into the fifteenth green to give himself an eagle chance, missed putts of eleven, eight, six and nine feet, hit an iron from one hundred and ninety seven yards to kick in range on seventeen, missed a five foot par putt to win, and finally he gave himself a four foot bird he putt to beat Justin Rose in a playoff. Mceilroy sank it. The line between art and obscenity has never been thinner. I just thought that was that made me realize, Okay, the way the whole thing played out for Rory. That was the kicker that got me, someone who has never really been interested or really cared to want to see what happens. You know, so I won't fake it and act like I'm in. I'm all in on golf because I probably won't watch golf for a long time. Well, you said, but I did yesterday and I enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: Well you said, you and your buddies on Friday, guys have the group chat going and there's a lot of Masters talk. Was there any more contribution for what you were talking about author yesterday?
Speaker 2: No, but the day that I did, you know, that's I'm glad you remember that because last week I was just, you know, I'm in a group chat with my closest friends, guys I've known for no joke, thirty years, and it's really our fantasy football chat, but it's we're active in their daily just she had the boys and you know, they're they're going back and forth about what's going on. This was day one of the Masters, and I just I ended up writing in and saying hell of a start for the Masters guys, and two of them like did the light you know, they did the laugh thing, like where they you know, you can react to a certain message without responding to it. And then somebody asked if someone had stolen my phone, which that's that's that's the appropriate response, I think, because nobody, nobody would understand why I was even talking about golf. But again, golf is clearly very popular. It's doing fine without me. The last thing I ever want to make it out to be is that like golf's the issue and I'm and I'm somebody telling you that the sport sucks. No, everybody has their own things that they are interested in, and I'm sure there are and I don't know, maybe I'm wrong here, but I would imagine there's a lot of folks listening that there's something similar for them like golf is to me, meaning that you know, you're in the minority, and that a lot of people that you consider peers and friends that have a similar lifestyle to you, that are similar to you in age, interest that kind of stuff, to where you just for some reason have never really been able to get into it. That's what's golf.
Speaker 3: Golf has always been for me.
Speaker 2: So to be able to watch the Masters, especially the last day, and you know, I enjoyed it, I was able to keep what was going on. It was entertaining. So I'm happy, all right, quick Break will come back, keep this name rolling along. A couple of Louisville players post Spring have hit the transfer portal for football. I don't think it's alarming. In fact, this is just the new norm.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Guys will leave and it'll just be because they can, and you know you got to move on without him. But I do think there's one area where I hope that this staff, Jeff Bram and his crew are keeping an eye on what's available in the portal, because I do think there's one position to me that just seems a little bit more thin and unproven than I would expect for a Jeff Brohm offense. So we'll get to that in a lot more stick around. It's Coffee and Company Fieldbut Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and Company taking you up until six o'clock here on a Monday afternoon, A beautiful, warm Monday, I say beautiful. I think we were actually supposed to maybe get some brief rain. But all in all, the last few days have been phenomenal around here, and we only have a few minutes left here in the three o'clock hours, so don't forget. We've got a lot more to get into, including where I hope Louisville is. When I say Louisville, I mean Jeff Brom and his staff. I think they've got one, maybe two positions that I'm sure they're going to be looking out to see who enters the transfer portal post spring to try to go fill some scholarships and you know, get this roster in as best shape as possible before you get to kicking off the season. Not to say that they've got real big issues, but obviously if you're not evaluating the portal post spring and seeing what's available and of course relating that to your specific needs within your roster, then you know you're not doing your job. That's the way this is now, So we can get into that. Also, I want to talk about the Savannah Bananas because I think right their buzz continues to grow in a major way, and I think there's something that a lot of people, including fans, those that work in sports at all levels, could learn from this. Story in this organization that I just I don't know if many people are noticing that. So we'll get to that, and who knows what else we'll get into. We'll also talk a little bit more about basketball as you're getting closer to seeing these rosters finalize for both Louisville and Kentucky. And I really think when it comes to this Louisville roster, I mean, case In Pryor wouldn't be shocked if we get something this week. It sounds as if there's everybody still under the impression that he intends to come back. But obviously he'll probably wait to announce that until he's one thousand percent sure that's what he's going to do, and I guess he's just not there yet. So again, we got a lot to get to before we wrap it up here at six o'clock. But I do want to give a big congratulations to a colleague friend of mine who I still at times can't believe I get to call him a colleague and a friend, and that's mister Tony Cruz, who announced his retirement this past Friday on news Radio eight forty WHS coming up at the end of May, mister Cruz will hang it up and live his life of not getting up at three o'clock every morning and hosting news radio eight forty WHS. You know, Tony's one of those guys that, you know, when I think of radio in Louisville, I mean, I was going to say in this market, which I guess is the right way to talk about it now. But you know, when I was a radio listener, only even when I was like a kid, I mean, I didn't know what. I would never say market, right, I would just say, Hey, that's a guy that I know. I hear on the radio, and he talks about my team, the Cards. So Tony has had a phenomenal career. I don't need to tell anybody that. I'm sure you're well aware. And before he did a twenty year run hosting news radio eight forty whs's show, he was one of the hosts of sports Talk on eight forty WAHS. I say one of the hosts, not because it was a two to three man show, but because that is a legendary show here that no longer exists. But there's only three that have ever done it, and they were all phenomenal, and in my opinion, you know, all legendary when it comes to just this market, when it comes to sports talk, not necessarily just sports talk radio, but sports talk within the radio format started many many years ago with obviously Van Vantz, who I mean, he's a legend. We all know that. But Tony Cruz took over for Van Vantz hosting sports talk, did it for a long time, had a lot of success, and then he made the move to mornings on HS and at that time Locklan McClain he took over, and he also had a great run on sports Talk on eight forty whas. So you know, Tony's one of those guys that other than Paul Rodgers, he's the first person I remember talking about Louisville basketball on the radio, Like I didn't know it was the thing.
Speaker 3: I just thought radio was for music.
Speaker 2: And then you know, I hear, oh wait, they're talking about something that I'm obsessed with as a young kid. And you know, sure enough, I didn't listen all the time because I didn't you know, I didn't have a radio in my room, and I only listened whenever was in the car with my dad or my mom and they were listening to it. But the first stories I remember being talked about like that I knew of about Louisville Athletics and just you know, as a kid, my cards were from Tony Cruz and when I was on in the mornings from I guess it was about twenty twenty eighteen to twenty twenty one, Tony and I were across the hall from each other. Right he was on HS. I was on seven ninety in our old building. We literally were directly across the hall from each other. And sometimes it would feel as if I did a show with no commercial breaks, because Tony would hop over into my studio. He has longer breaks because they have news and weather and whatnot, but we would talk sports, so it's like we I never got a break, and he would share stories about the of you know, the things that took place that he got to cover during his time on Sports Talk on HAS and it made me so much more knowledgeable about this market and about sports and the big stories, the big events, how they were covered, and it's He's provided a level of information and knowledge of things that I would never know if it wasn't for him specifically. I mean, he's a guy that there weren't a whole lot of platforms to go get information or even talk about things going on. That was back when radio really didn't have the competition it has now with the Internet. Some of the bigger stories that have ever happened around here, like Patino coming back here to Kentucky, but coaching at Louisville. You know, Tony was on the airwaves when that went on and taking reaction from people, and you know, I just I mean, I could sit and listen to him talk about that stuff all day because it's something I'm obsessed with. But but again, it was before I was you know, I mean, I remember some of these things happening, but I didn't remember listening to it on the radio because again I was a little kid. So he was a great resource for me. He's been a great friend, and he's had a legendary career. When you talk about radio in Louisville forever till the end of time, I don't know how his name is not going to come up. And as much as he is, you know, a pro when it comes to this industry and broadcasting, he's he's so he is so much at his I'm not trying to get worked up here because you know, we like to have fun. But hearing Tony talk about his faith, talking about his family and his children, his wonderful wife Penny. I mean, those are things that you know, you don't necessarily. I'm sure he's referenced them on his show before during his many years in broadcasting, but to have to hear him, you know, just have conversations with him as a friend, as a colleague, and get perspective from him on that aspect of life. It's been so valuable to me as a father and a husband myself. So you know, I know they tell you, you know, you be careful if you meet, you know, people you look up to or people that you idolize, And I don't know if I ever idolized Tony Cruz in that way, just because you know, by the time I really wanted to get into this, he'd already moved on from sports. But I am so happy to know him because I know a lot more than just you know him as a broadcaster, and he's he's been good to me, and I hope he has a lot of fun and hope he sleeps in a lot on his retirement, because my man, that's an early wake up call. For twenty straight years, three o'clock in the morning. Yikes, But again, congrats to mister Kruz and looking forward to the last however many weeks we have left with you, including your final derby, which will be a lot of fun. But it'll be here before you know it too. All right, quick break, we've got two more hours left right here, keep it locked on Sports Talk seven ninety