Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbury Lane. Welcome to a special edition a Full Circle the podcast. Today we are interviewing the director and cast members from Ain't Misbehavior, the Fat Swaller musical show, being put on at Theater Horizon in Norristown, Pennsylvania until May seventeenth. With us today we have director Amina Robinson, cast members Chabrell Williams and Rogier Alford. Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 2: Y'all, Hello, thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: We were going to do this the day that we came to see the show, and as happened, things went haywire. But I'm so glad y'all could make time to sit down with us today. I had so much fun.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, sidebart, who are we?
Speaker 1: I'm your host Martha Magical.
Speaker 5: And I'm your host Charles Tyson Junior.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Cool Circle Table.
Speaker 5: We switched chairs and everything just goes.
Speaker 1: I'm just I don't know how to talk anymore.
Speaker 5: Right, but but yeah, I what happens.
Speaker 1: When I don't break it all down, when I just try to go off a note.
Speaker 4: I was looking so forward to seeing the show because I realize and I brought this up on the night. Not only is Ain't Misbehaving my favorite musical, I believe it was my very.
Speaker 5: First one as a kid.
Speaker 4: When the original Broadway production was on PBS and I got to see it, and I believe that was my exposure to musical theater without even knowing that's what it was.
Speaker 2: Wow, Wow, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I mean, what makes your truth fat misbehaving?
Speaker 2: I mean, quite to the contrary Charles's. I actually was not a huge fan of aint Misbehavior. Uh not not because I actually didn't have very much experience with it, and I think that that's what it was. Ultimately, I had sang a couple songs in grad school for voice lessons, and so when Matt Decker called, and you know, it was like, Hey, you want to direct a Misbehaving We'd love to have you back at Theater Horizon. I was excited to go back to Theater Horizon. I figured Ain't Misbehaving would be a you know, as good a show as any to go back to Theater Horizon with. But it wasn't my faith, you know. And it also presented an opportunity for one of my little darlings from Temple to make her professional choreographic debut, so that's what like, that's what excited me the most. You know, it was less about the actual show and more about the people that I get to work with, because then I also got to hand select this cast, so I.
Speaker 1: Loved And of course we always watch choreography. Charles, I mean choreograph for years.
Speaker 5: Got my BFA and in dancing choreography from Temple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he always looks for the Temple grads always. And Curtis Harris is a rubber band le chall. I loved the casting, so but he's just got the body for that part. And the choreography was wonderful. It lent the joy of the show came through the joy, the on rate. The fun was there in the choreography, So perfect choice. Did you do the casting?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: We didn't, you know. The fun part was that we didn't. We had like we had an audition call, but it was only for two roles. It was for Charlene and for Andre's part. But Curtis Harris was the only person that I called in to audition for Andrea's part because I had seen him play leading player in Pippin and I was like, I have a feeling that he's gonna come in here and be amazing, so I said, I'll just see him first and see what he does with it first. But aside from that, I hand picked everybody. Even though we had the call for Charlane, I ended up just going with my gut and asking Jessica Money to be in it, you know, but everybody else, Tierra, Schabrell and bridgier I. You know, I was like, if I'm doing this show, I need to think about the people that would really make it amazing because it sort of relies on the actor personalities and the artist personalities. You know. I thought of them, and you know, I was just like, Hey, you want to do this show please.
Speaker 1: It's one of those shows where you don't have a lot of dialogue to hide in and you're telling the story. You're telling about who your characters are right through, through the songs and through and so much as unspoken. Bro, I couldn't take my eyes off you. God, you were amazing. What did you How did how did you get ready for this? How did you did you have experienced with the with the show prior none at all?
Speaker 6: This is maybe my fifth or sixth musical I've done ever professionally.
Speaker 1: So and it was you know, okay.
Speaker 6: Because I've been stuck an opera for most of my life, That's why. But no, I've had no like I may have. I may have listened to the music and I didn't even see the recording until I got the role. I know, I got the call from Matthew Decker to be in it, and so I was like, okay, well let me look at this show and see what it is, and was blown away. It was really excited to sing with people and like just like have our voices come together? But zero experience with this show beforehand, and so prepping for it was lots of warm up. And then once we started doing choreo, I was I was mostly worried about the choreo and I was like, oh no, I'm not trained. I'm not trained and danced. I am a strong mover. I will move my body. But and I picked up choreo.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yes, she can't now.
Speaker 6: Know you I did, and now I know I can and think, Thank goodness, Eleanna was just absolutely fabulous and so patient and so clear and just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about you?
Speaker 7: What was your experience with the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so prior to getting the offer for it, I had not I had known of it, and in college my teacher kept trying to get me to sing Feats Too Big and I just never I.
Speaker 7: Never took to it. I was like, ah, I'm kind of good on this.
Speaker 3: So my experience was similar to a Minas, where like it it was kind of on.
Speaker 7: My radar, but it wasn't one that I was like, I must do that show.
Speaker 3: I love the music, and it was kind of like once I got the offer, I was working with a Mena on another project called One Pound, four Ounces, where I was not really an actor Lane. I was more a musician and composing producing Lane. But then I started listening to the music and then found the bootleg of the original Broadway cast and you know there's icons in that Ken Paige, Andre Deshields, Neil Carter, all of that. They're so incredible, and that's when I was like, oh, this is this is like this material is actually really good and there's gonna be a lot of to sink our sink our teeth into. But really like it came from like trusting are the people that were leading in the room and me and Eliana, this is my third show up this year that I've done with Eliana. The first two were as actors. We're both actors in the show, and this one, obviously she was on the creative team, and I was like, well, I trust these people and our music director Brigit Rockman, who I also adore and love working with, so like really like it. The prep was easy because I was like, I'm in good hands all across the board.
Speaker 7: Show up, do the work once we get there, and it was a lot of work to do.
Speaker 5: What we gotta know this right?
Speaker 7: That was really that was really it.
Speaker 3: It was really really like show up and get to work, and we put the show up fast, so fast it is.
Speaker 1: You know, the show is based on the Harlem Renaissance, so we're talking about the twenties and thirties. Yeah, yeah, what is that process to go back to that time? It's a different time in a lot of ways, and this takes us there, so, you know, as actors, as a director, like, what was that process to kind of go back into that place?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think that that's actually what interested me the most about the piece was the Harlem Renaissance, Like I just imagined, you know, Langston Hughes and Saor and Neil Hurston sitting in a Harlem Brownstone, you know, reciting poetry or something. You know, I don't know, but I imagined that, like, the parties must have been amazing. I've heard podcasts about it. I've read books about it. You know what the Harlem Renaissance feel was like that resurgence and rebirth of black art and culture and intellectual thought, you know. And that's what intrigued me the most about the piece is that while we were honoring the legacy of Fats Waller, we're also in this time period where black people started being great, you know, I won't say started, let me rewind that you don't have to cut this, but not started being great, but they had a resurgence of the greatness, you know, which really which really intrigued me. So it became important to me to make sure that we were clear about the time period of this. You know, that this piece takes place in and I wanted it to feel like a Harlem Brownstone party, you know, in the Harlem Renaissance. That's what that's the vibe. So the scenic design took shape so that it looked like an apartment, but then it had potential for magic cabaret kind of stuff to happen. But yeah, that's what really juiced me up about it was the time period.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: So growing up in my father's household, we were a very jazz centric house. My father loved jazz, which is why I grew up with an appreciation of Fat Swaller. And so that's why I was like, wait, there's a whole show with nothing but Fats Wallas music. Oh my goodness, I'm nine years old and I know what this is. Uh, And that's why I said it was my favorite and first, and I was thinking about this, like if I go see a production of dream Girl, you know, I immediately look to see who's playing Fie. I'm like, all right, that's that's the powerhouse of the show. If I'm going to see a chorus line, I look and see who's playing Cassie.
Speaker 5: That's the powerhouse of the show.
Speaker 4: So it's like, in this show if y'all are all e fies, like there's no like you.
Speaker 7: If if you ain't.
Speaker 5: Fierce, you can't be in this show. Like that's just real.
Speaker 4: And that's another reason why I love the show, because I know, like I'm going here and see some amazing performers, because that's just how that works.
Speaker 5: That's just how that works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what we felt in the rehearsal room too. We were like, oh my god, people are going to be blown away. Number after number after number. It was just like, Yeah, I remember being in that room and I just all like jaws on the ground after right.
Speaker 7: Also, I want to speak to ohka, go ahead, go aheads, bro.
Speaker 6: No, I was just saying it was crazy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just also wanted to speak to the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like because I and you know, like I didn't do much research on that time period before getting the show, but once we got in it, I'm thinking of that time period and I'm like, this show is so joyful and like and the music is incredible.
Speaker 7: Like the fact that our people were making art.
Speaker 3: Like this and celebrating limb their lives and touching into joy and creativity like this at that time, to me, I'm just I'm like dumbfounded by that, Like that they were able to reach this level of joy and creativity, and like the it's genius the stuff that they made back then and under that oppression, I'm like, what would have happened if they didn't have those things to fight through, like you know, but yeah, so I'm just I'm always smacked by like how.
Speaker 7: Joyful it is. The whole thing is just.
Speaker 5: Like four well except for black and blue.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, right right, but that's that comes as the second to last number right in the show, which is like it's just.
Speaker 7: Like yeah except for black and blue.
Speaker 4: And it's funny because like that has always been one of my favorite songs just because it's so poignant. But and I was saying this to Charrilla after the show, like it really hit different for me hearing it in twenty twenty six, like even with it placed in my mind like the time that it was written, you know, we've come so far.
Speaker 5: And yet.
Speaker 4: You know, but the only line that I was like, oof was the I'm white inside, Like I get it, I get it.
Speaker 5: But it's like hmmm, yeah.
Speaker 2: So the lore is because I struggled with that one as well, for a number of reasons. You know, as a director, I do a lot of research into things, and the lore is that Fats Waller and I can't remember the lyricist name right now just because I want to, and that's how my mind works sometimes. But the Fat Swaller and the lyricists wrote that song under extreme dress for a musical. They didn't the lords that they didn't want to write the song, but they were forced to write the song for this musical that dealt with issues surrounding colorism, but through a white lens. Yeah and so and then as the musical, you know, the writers of the musical. This is all my imagination. I do not have facts for this, but in my imagination, I think about the time period that the musical was put together in this review for Fats Waller, and I can see how at that time especially that song would have been considered a poignant look into blackness, whereas I don't necessarily know that it has ever been a poignant look into blackness, right, you know? And I also imagine, again this is just Amena and her imaginings based on research. I also imagine that had Fatz Waller lived and put together a review of his own music, he probably would not have included black and Blue with lyrics that are like I'm white inside and what did I do to be so black and blue? I don't want to live like you know. I just don't know that he would include that, especially when you look at the body of the work that he had control over and what was happening during the Harlem Renaissance.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for that bit of information. The fact that I know now that that was written under duress makes.
Speaker 3: Way more safe.
Speaker 1: Because I'm like that.
Speaker 4: I mean, granted, you know, you black in the thirties, so yeah, I get it, but now I get it.
Speaker 1: Get it?
Speaker 7: Okay, good, thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah for me, I mean that one is just a hard song lounging as the wall Dwarf speaks to.
Speaker 5: That is my favorite retag performing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot in that. It's a fun song. There's a lot there, yes, yep, yeah, And I mean I think it talks about that the smile, it does, the need for the smile, the need for you know what. It's the line about they like jazz, but but in small doves.
Speaker 7: Get the lyrics come on.
Speaker 6: Like the I guess the original twitch.
Speaker 4: Right that part and and and again. Like I said, that was my favorite number and always has been. I think it was my introduction to counterpoint in music. I mean, that's probably not true because again jazz household, but consciously, but I realize now it kind of gives like white people are watching, yeah.
Speaker 7: Which I never.
Speaker 2: And the thing that gets you is that it's so freaking beautiful gorgeous.
Speaker 3: So you're like, this is this is like this moment, this song is like Amina's genius all over all over it.
Speaker 7: You can speak to this too.
Speaker 3: But like we had in rehearsals we leading up, we like were directed by Amina to not not do it a certain way, but we were like kind.
Speaker 7: Of free to interpret it for ourselves.
Speaker 3: And I think for a lot of us it was more for me especially, it was more so thinking about our ancestors point of view, because I too did have a tough time like saying that in today's scope with how I feel about my blackness and now I feel in my own skin. But so it was more so like throwing it back to then, and I think it was this more broody and emotional thing. And then Amina actually stopped us and she was kind of like, y'all, she.
Speaker 7: Pulled it all all together and little circles. She's like, I don't know how this this doesn't.
Speaker 3: Really like laying for me if I'm being honest, Like she's like, it's nothing y'all are doing. I told I directed you a certain way, but like she's like, what like what if what if we peeled that off and just like singing the song and that that moment for me, let it come out of this like emotional deep place where I was trying to dig for stuff and just let it be and let the audience have the reaction, not be I don't know, living stuff that's not necessary for us to be.
Speaker 6: We're living right, absolutely, yeah, and this is for black and Blue, and I think wouldn't go ahead, no, please please go ahead.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, we're in terms of the Waldorf or we're back that Roger you were just saying, or no I was saying.
Speaker 3: I was saying for black and black, and I jumped back to black and blue, but is tied into that world.
Speaker 7: I loved it.
Speaker 1: Well right because performance would not have been able to be obvious what they I mean, what if been under the surface. I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: I was just gonna come like I think I talked to I talked to you both about Black and Blue afterwards, and how amda change that from being like a really emotional to like, no, we're gonna we're gonna sing it for you, We're gonna sing it, Well, you're gonna sit with those feelings, not us, because we've we're black enough. We we've we we've we have, we have sat with these feelings. We sit with these feelings every day.
Speaker 5: Right, you you figure out.
Speaker 6: What I'm white inside means for me, not not me. I think we could talk about it afterwards. Yeah, but in like the Waldorf song, though I also agree like making fun of white people at that time, it had to be subtle. They couldn't just do it blatantly, like and I think I don't. I don't think we're doing it blatantly either, but I think their strength and subtlety when talking about the underscoring of like we have to be different around a different demographic demographic of people. And is the Waldorf still still up and running?
Speaker 1: Do we know?
Speaker 7: I'm pretty sure it.
Speaker 6: Is it a new hotel.
Speaker 5: I don't know about that people, but probably still.
Speaker 7: Yeah. And that's the thing.
Speaker 4: It's like, well, because that song is like it's giving, it's giving a code switching, it's giving we're just like you. It's giving elitism, it's given I got mine, you got you gotta get yours.
Speaker 5: There's so many levels to that.
Speaker 1: It is still open on Park Avenue. By the way, it's a Hilton Hotel. I had a check, right, it's still there, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, I'm thinking about like now, I'm actually thinking about like the songs in a twenty twenty six lens, and you know, I can't help but look around at folks in the audience while I'm watching, and it's like part of me just can't help but think somebody in that room when you got to I'm white inside, was going.
Speaker 1: I knew it.
Speaker 5: You know, I did not did not tell you.
Speaker 2: I did not tell you.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I feel I understand the trepidation of one too.
Speaker 7: That's all, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, that's not what I tected you. I know it.
Speaker 1: There there is. There was something healing too, sitting in that theater in twenty twenty six, just with everything that's happening, you know, every day every day, you know. And I work with a lot of trans people who are terrified, you know, who just are what And we're sitting over here in New Jersey where we're we have a different experience than a lot of the states in the Union and different in the same union. They're everywhere.
Speaker 5: What that's a union?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, union, just kind of entering a space of joy without apology, without you know, with just friends that it felt refreshing. It just felt like, let's go away for a minute, you know. And there was a layer of bittersweet which comes out of that time, you know, because when you said, I thought it was the first time we could really document black greatness, you know, and the books came out and we still have them to look at. That's the way I, you know, from this lens view view the Renaissance, like we actually still have this. It wasn't as dangerous to produce and to stand in in intellect and intellectual debate. And that's what I picture in the Brownstones, is that the conversations that went on, and I just everything that's happening now it's too eerily similar to, yeah, everything that was going on back then. So it felt it's a wonderful escape. And yet it's the more things change, the more they stay the same, where folks would like them to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I think when we saw the show, that was the day of this the Supreme Court case on the redistricting, and which is what was in my mind when I was talking about how it hit different black and blue.
Speaker 1: Well, right, and it's only been a few days and we're seeing that they did exactly We've got states doing exactly what they we knew they would do with that verdict. So where do we go? Boy? I took this down, didn't I? Can we just do one thing though? If you're you know, if you're paying attention right now, can we just you know, I don't know without thinking, because I'm thinking about everything most of the time.
Speaker 4: I mean, everything has a context, a historical context and social cond text. So even the happy songs had a layer of something behind.
Speaker 3: It, you know.
Speaker 1: Well that was the poem Maya's poem about the smile or the laugh, you know, and it's and how not real that is, and that that I kept thinking about that, you know, and then the context of the news that right, you decide what's.
Speaker 5: Real, which makes me think of like.
Speaker 1: Tangent.
Speaker 4: Someone was interviewing Lena Horne and like they were talking to her about like having been blackbald but still being this vibrant performer and how do you get on stage night after night and see the sea of white faces and still give them so much of yourself?
Speaker 5: And she said, I go out on stage.
Speaker 4: And I smile, and I look at each of them and and as I'm performing, I go fuck you. And there's got to be an element of that in in shows like well, not necessarily shows I am as behaving, but artists like Fats Waller who are performing for these different audiences, Like you can't unknow what you know, you can't like what happened that day, can't unhappen just because you know it's showtime. So yeah, I that's one of those things that I appreciate about us, our ability to be.
Speaker 7: Both you know.
Speaker 3: It's something I think I learned from Fats in doing my research on him, is that, like an other artist in that time, that joy is rebellion, Like it is a rebellious act to be intentionally joyful in times of strife, in these dark times, and like if they can do it in the twenties, we can do it today. And that's something that I feel like this show also has taught me that, Like I've had this thought as an actor on other shows, but this one especially, like I have to like tell myself I am and actively like doing an active service for the audience right now because of the times. Yes, but even if at the times we're all great. It's still it is an active service to give people something like this and to stand and joy and even even on the days when it's hard, when we get terrible verdicts like that, and yeah, I don't know, I feel it as an act of rebellion, and I'm like, I'm looking to ride that wave after this is over as well, and like keep doing that my own art, and like keep and share more stuff, and.
Speaker 7: Because I feel like people need they need we need this stuff. We need this. People left, like we might leave after the show and we're a little drained and tired, but when I come out to the house afterwards, like.
Speaker 3: People are so filled up by this show. Yeah, and I'm really grateful to be a part of it. And I think that, like, yeah, joy is rebellion, like it has.
Speaker 1: We have to.
Speaker 3: Enjoy and live our lives in a way that doesn't get stuck down by all of this stuff that's going on in our country.
Speaker 7: You know, it's as unfortunate.
Speaker 1: As it is, you know, absolutely, I've said one hundred and fifty times a week. You know, if you're going to fight for your life, make sure you have one that's worth living fighting for you, right, make sure that you make time for Joe and and and it is it is rebellion because it's like the more, these are a bunch of really miserable people that are making these decisions, and it's like just when you think they can't go any lower, they dig And it's almost this absurd comedy, just just like how did you even conceive of that? The layers of evil? Just evil? That part? I don't have a better word.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I totally echo read your sentiments.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, no, no, no listening.
Speaker 6: Uh, I was just I also like, as an artist, as a black artist, I agree that joy is rebellion. I also it is my activism, Like me continuing to do this work, this kind of work is me being an activist in today's age, Like yes I can go out and protest, Yes I can, but no, most people don't want me to do this. Most people that look like this don't want this for me. They don't want me to find joy in this. They don't want me to bring joy to other people. Okay, I'm going to continue doing that no matter what. My God and I've always I've always had this questions like oh I need to do more, I need to go out and into the streets and tell everybody this. Tell He's like, no, I'm literally doing that every day that I'm on stage with people, with Regie, with them, you know, with my castmates, to the audience, and especially with a show like this, showcasing nothing but black joy and love and excellence and laughter and excellence. We have to keep doing it. And I wish the people in the Supreme Court would come to see something like this, but people like that wouldn't because they are miserable that they don't want to see this kind of you know, they don't want to see this kind of joy because I think it would actually make something shift within them that they don't want to. Maybe it'll make them accountable to something that they have never been accountable to before.
Speaker 4: They'll feel a human emotion and then realize how much artifice is involved in everything that they are and have dedicated themselves to. And so you know, introspection is like the kryptonite to these people, which is why I never know they don't ever do any.
Speaker 1: You reminded me because I kept I kept watching you and I'm where do I know him from? And again embodied a character so well, and I was having such a good time and when you came out into the lobby, said Rent, and oh that there we go. There it is because we you know, we had taken so one of the groups that I co facilitate and co run is a transdiscussion slash support group. And we kind of gathered everyone up and I think we had twenty five people there that night, we did, and they put us in the sofas all around the stage, so we were kind of right there and there was so much connection and just watching the young people that we brought experiencing that show. And there was a young woman called Angel and she chose that name because of that character, and they got to have a moment afterwards, and I just these are important shows, these are important works that I'm glad we're still doing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, me too, Me too.
Speaker 3: I mean it's it's kind of the work that I think I like to seek out for myself, Like Sha Bro, I also feel like I'm an activist through my arts and like I really I feel hurt when my projects don't.
Speaker 7: Speak to and help push the needle on what's going on in our world.
Speaker 3: So yeah, right was another one, and we had so much fun with you all that and I remember.
Speaker 7: That's why I saw y'all in the audience and I was like, oh my god, I don't remember their names. Well, I know their faces.
Speaker 3: I remember y'all from the Rent Show because we even talked afterwards, and y'all were just really affirming and just generous with your words after that show and your experience on that.
Speaker 1: Y'all were generous on stage, and you embodied Jesse Martin and who I do you know him? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of my friends from back in the day. You can't meet him.
Speaker 1: I really knew him from Law and Order, Like I'm just a Law and Order junkie. It's that thing that I can put on and have in the background for hours because of the cadence. You know, each each one is a little show all to itself. I know what's going to happen. And I loved his character then, I mean I just and then when I saw him in Rent, that was a whole another level of this actor, and I went, oh that I didn't know. I didn't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jesse, Jesse, if you're listening to the show, you can't beat.
Speaker 2: Me, man, I'm going to I'm going to send this.
Speaker 1: Please do He has a fan but rs you really did. You brought you brought your own energy, you know, put it. You got a little of Jesse going on, and you really did with the character in bringing the joy.
Speaker 7: And bringing the smile.
Speaker 5: How are you going to at the same time one who ain't even here.
Speaker 7: I'm just trying to get some of that. I'm trying to get some of that Jesse.
Speaker 1: I want you to have it.
Speaker 6: I want you to have it.
Speaker 1: Friend, I do work. That was That was one of the best productions I've seen at the Ardens. And again, you were just you were perfect for that role. So I immediately you said, I'm like, thank you, thank you. And I watching Curtis, I felt like I know that young man from somewhere, and I cannot figure out where I saw that he was from New Jersey. Maybe that was it. Maybe we've just encountered one another at some point.
Speaker 3: Curtis was also in the Curtis was a off stage cover for as well. I don't think you saw Curtis go on, but it's possible that you could have seen Curtis going he went on.
Speaker 1: That was again, that was just a show that brought a lot of joy, a lot of feeling, and you know, being able to do that with a group. We did that with when Oklahoma was touring and that creepy version of Oklahoma that all they did was slow it down, really and I don't think they changed one word, and it was I never realized. I thought that was such a fun little show. It is. I like showing it this way. Yeah, yeah, I like this so much better. But there were two trans characters cast. One was Sis from Pose and uh the O there was henness Hennessy, Hennessy Winkler, I think yes, and they were just playing roles. They were not trans characters per se. They were just roles in the play. And we took about twenty five to that as well, to say, look what's possible, you know exactly, we need to.
Speaker 4: Celebrate that, which is why I was so glad to see some young people in the audience for this behavior, for the exact same thing, see see What's possible. I have a question for all of you, because you know, the original production was very much a vehicle for the talent of those actors, and I noticed, I mean in the program you put like Chelle as Armelia, you know, raj as Ken so like, but at the same time.
Speaker 7: You each are yourselves like.
Speaker 4: How like how what was what was that approach like and what was it like, you know, basically stepping into the shoes of these legendary people.
Speaker 5: You can start with a meaning.
Speaker 2: I guess I'll start Okay, I'll start by saying that for the for the program for licensing. Technically even technically, since those actors originated those roles, those are now the characters that the actors on stage play. So in productions of Ain't Misbehaving, they have to be credited as those characters. Thought, But we did have but that question was on the table very early because it felt strange with all of the ad limic and things that they do. It felt strange to refer to Chabrille as Armelia and Ragier as Ken. You know, it just felt strange. So we just we sow. The decision was made that on stage they can address one another by their names, and you know, let them become the icons and represent the icons that they are as opposed to resurrecting Nel and Armelia and Ken and Andre and Charlane. You know. So, yeah, that that's why that decision was made. Yeah, because they're iconic for real, you know, they're iconic Rogier, Chabrille, Jessica, the icons.
Speaker 1: And I didn't feel like, you know, while I felt like you brought some spirit, I didn't feel like you were portraying right Ken. I didn't feel like that that. I didn't feel that.
Speaker 3: No, yees, it would be hard for me to He's so unique and iconic in his own right that like, No, there might be like moments where that I watched from their their bootleg and I'm like, you know, I pay a nod to something he did vocally or things like that, but it's only that, just a nod and then digging deeper into living in fats world, through through me, through how that works, through me, what about you?
Speaker 6: Because I could That's what they all did. Yeah, I mean I think the original performers, that's what they all did. They channeled themselves through facts music and did what they did best. And I feel like, if you're going to hire people to do eight misbehave and you are hiring the best of the best in their field and what they're the best at and depending on what track they are on, that is that is what they do best. So like with Armelia McQueen, like she was classically trained she you know, did a lot of film work too. I'm classically trained. So instead of like I noticed in the original and I think in a lot of the original recordings, like a lot of like the higher stuff was like made as a joke as opposed to actually showing off what the voice could actually do. It's like, no, my voice can do this. I can do it just fine, So I'm just going to give it to you, like as Shebelle Williams paying homage to the grandiosity of that McQueen, you.
Speaker 2: Know that she brought to the role and to the character they sing.
Speaker 6: And like they were singing in that too, but we're singing it in a different way. Like I'm Chabrelle. I'm not Armelia, and I will never be Armelia Laqueen no matter how much I try to imitate her, because then it would just be an imitation, it wouldn't actually be me.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like it.
Speaker 6: Trying to like taking inspiration from somebody's performance and like how they performed it, what they brought to it, like character wise, trait wise, I think is a totally better way to pay homage to somebody's performance than just trying to strictly imitate it, right.
Speaker 2: I remember Tiara early on asking with some of the Nell stuff, in particular because Nell Carter's voice is so very distinct, And I remember Tiera saying, do you want me to sing this like Nell sings it? And I was like no, I said, sing it like how Tiara Green sings it, honey, And she is singing down right that money because Jessica Money is not. She's typically not a belter, like that's not where her where her confidence lies. I won't say strength, because she can totally do it as we see, but you know, sometimes feel like I don't know about belting. But you know, I told her, I said, I want you to see the Charlotte material in a way that is Jessica Money, you know, in that beautiful and angelic voice you know. So yeah, yeah, take it and make it your own that the icons.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And that made it that much more authentic. It just did. It brought something that would not have been there if everyone was just trying to mimic right, so much more.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I always wonder that when I see people uh stepping into roles that were like made not only famous, but like iconic, Like how much do you take much do you leave out of what they did?
Speaker 5: And how much do you leave in?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 5: So, yeah, I always find that interesting because at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: You ain't them so.
Speaker 5: And thank goodness because you know, we get to see you.
Speaker 1: So there are five more performances this week, so we're going to get this out as quickly as we can. Yes, just to make sure that folks have a little bit of time to get over there. I want to know what's next for each of you. Are you already working on something or yeah? Is there an answer to that question?
Speaker 6: Well, I will continue on the eight Misbehavior track and perform it in Arkansas at the Arkansas Repertory Theater. Yeah, doing the copro with People's Light as well. So I will be eight Misbehaving all summer.
Speaker 7: Okay, same role.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're going to have a nice little what I call a comfy ass groove in that part by the time you die.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So after this, once we close, I'm taking a little break this summer just because I've been pretty busy this year. So uh, I'm just gonna do some music gigs, some small stuff, like I'm doing a gig over in Delaware at a Farmer's Market.
Speaker 7: Uh, and then also working again on that one pound, four ounces play. We're doing it at a university, I think this summer once. But other than that, I'm gonna be taking care of dogs, run of my dog business.
Speaker 6: And chilling.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm in pre production for two shows. I'm doing Top Dog Underdog in a co production with People's Light Theater Company and the Ardent Theater. And I'm also in pre production for Purpose, which is going to be at the Philadelphia Theater Company, right right, It's going to be at the Philadelphia Theater Company in a co production with Jiva Theater in Rochester, Syracuse, upstate.
Speaker 1: Up there where it's cold, right, Okay, Yeah, I love that. I love that. That's exciting.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So if we wanted to learn more about each of you as individuals, where would we go to follow you?
Speaker 2: I have a website where people can communicate with me from. There's like a contact form if people want to meet me or meet up with me. I love having lunch with people. I've done that on several occasions, you know, artists in Philadelphia. That's just my name dot com, Amina Robinson dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I have just my my Instagram. It's my first and last name. I'm being honest. I deleted the Instagram and Facebook over the last year, just just re downloaded it so I will.
Speaker 1: Understandable tagging you. So I assume you came back. But a lot of folks did do that, you know. Yeah, I don't blame you on just.
Speaker 7: To get this, I just needed space. I needed space and a break from all of the scrolling and all the stuff. But yeah, I'm there. I'm there so you can reach me through there.
Speaker 1: For sure. We use it as a tool because I spend a lot of time saying Facebook isn't real, Instagram isn't real, social media isn't real. So you know, told to stay in touch right right and.
Speaker 3: Share, And that's that's what I'm going to work on that this summer, sharing more music and more of my own personal projects through that to reach people and to reach collaborators, because I'll.
Speaker 1: Have a get myself worked on. What a what are you doing? A stay out of the comments section? Big, just keep keep it pushing, right, So bro, what about you? How do we find out and stay in touch and follow you?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I do have an Instagram and a Facebook. I am rarely on either of them, but you can find platforms. But I also have a website chapro Williams dot Space. I have a I have a contact form there as well if people want to get in touch with me for gigs or even creative workshops. I'm a teaching artist, so I love that kind of work as well. Just getting people to express themselves creatively.
Speaker 1: Fabulous. So I meana about lunch. Does Jesse ever come along in Canada? I'm gonna Canada.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yea.
Speaker 5: Cold up.
Speaker 2: He's been in Canada for quite some time now, he left us.
Speaker 1: I just thought i'd throw it out there.
Speaker 5: Oh real quick, I wanted to ask, do each of you have your side step?
Speaker 7: And so real quick?
Speaker 4: Do you each of you have a favorite number that you can't wait to do? And what is it and amina that you can't wait to see them do?
Speaker 2: I will answer this question because remember how in the beginning I said a misbehaving was not my favor. I was like, man, I'm not really checking for this show. After this production and seeing these people, I'm all over this show and I don't have a favorite because I literally cannot choose. I love all of the numbers, So much, including Blackly because the music is beautiful. I just disregard the lyrics. I try my best to disregard the lyrics, but I just love them all so much that I all of them are my favorites.
Speaker 4: Now own diplomatic answer, I wish I was.
Speaker 1: I love all my children the.
Speaker 4: Thing, even the funny looking one.
Speaker 6: Bro. I feel like I have I have two favorites. I have jer Bug Waltz Yes, because it's so gorgeous and it's and I feel like we sound super baller at the end and that that ending harmony the just chefs Guss and then handful of keys. Even though it's the hardest one to sing, it's so fun. I get really excited doing it. I get really because like I just want to do the choreo and like almost suck it up more fun, but like I don't. But I also don't want to suck it up because I don't want to choreo.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, Okay, I love Jitterbug Walls, but that's the one song that, like, if they're going to cut cut a number, that's the one that gets caught.
Speaker 2: You are, I'm just gonna cut it until until I saw them do it and I was like, oh, it's so it's so sultry. I love it, so I kept it was going to cut that.
Speaker 7: He said that Charles, you got some special you are director or something.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 1: What else?
Speaker 4: I have Warner director's hat from time to time choreographers had Yeah. In fact, like, this is the show that I have always wanted to be in, and you, sir, your role is the one that you know I always wanted.
Speaker 5: In fact, I do your feats too big for karaoke every now and again.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 7: I would love to see your version.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean how many years you taught dance? Yeah, with generations of children who are no longer children who credit Charles.
Speaker 4: You know, they've grown with families and careers and I hate it who told you to grow up?
Speaker 1: Right? But with their love of dance and so many of them still dancing, and you know, yeah, wow, that's a little about I think we're here. Yeah, favorite numbers.
Speaker 7: It is really hard to choose.
Speaker 3: So many of them are so much fun, But I think I think mine would be Probably it's between Feats Too Big and Honeysuckle Rose.
Speaker 7: Feets too Big is just like I just.
Speaker 3: Get to play with the audience in such a unique way, like I just get to mess with everyone, and it's I feel like it's surprising. Today during the matine I came out and I picked the lady that was sitting like dead center, and she I I started looking at her.
Speaker 7: She was just like a little surprised. And then as soon as I started saying the sir, she was like.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know the way I get to mess with them. I'm so mischievous in shows anyway, so I feel like I get to just let it.
Speaker 4: Out of the show.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, but ya, My favorite to watch is probably Viper's drag.
Speaker 3: Curtis is, Like, I don't know, man, he's a special to everyone in this show, is a special talent. But like getting to see Curtis in his debut show be acting and singing and dancing this way, I just if you, if y'all remember you come back, I just have.
Speaker 7: A dopey grin on my face during that number.
Speaker 3: I'm like not even, I'm just like so like, look at this young black man like performing his ass off and just so yeah, it's just really special to see. I can't wait to see what else Curtis does in his career because it is like, yeah, I just I can't get enough of that number.
Speaker 4: And I love that you you uh use Martha as a focal point in in in lounging at the Waldorf, and I've been calling her Hemingway ever since.
Speaker 3: If I were if I remember your name, you would have got a personal shout out.
Speaker 7: I would have dropped work.
Speaker 4: It worked out the way it worked, And I do want to say that it's a testament to how good of a song.
Speaker 5: Spreading rhythm around us.
Speaker 4: Like every time I hear that song, pig Feet Beer Engine almost sounds good for that period of time, almost almost, and then I go, no, I'm good, right.
Speaker 5: Because it's got that.
Speaker 4: It's it's got that layer of, like you know, of the party and the celebration and the comfort and the joy of being with your people. So like that's that's what I tune into. And then I remember what pig Feet takes like, and then I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 5: Now I'm good, Like I'll pass, yeah, yeah, thank you. And Chitlin's no, no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 4: Definitely when I was up until I was five and a half, because that's when I realized what they were pig Feet and potatoes out was my favoritest meal on the planet.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they set you up.
Speaker 1: They did well.
Speaker 4: Both both my prides are from the South, so my father would be like, I'll eat everything on the pig, but the oint because it's too hard to catch.
Speaker 2: Yes. My nanny used to say, I'll eat a pig from the root.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then I realized what what chiplins are, and I'm like.
Speaker 7: You eat that on purpose?
Speaker 6: Purpose?
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 5: I do not understand vegan chitlins. Why are we doing this?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: What are they made out of?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure I want to know, but it is a thing because I saw a recipe and I'm like, I'm not going to look further because why are we doing this?
Speaker 2: Vegan chiplins? You just you just blew my mind today.
Speaker 7: I mean, there there is.
Speaker 1: Thank you, well, you know there's sense memory.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: I've done a lot of plant based cooking and a lot of research because trying to there is something too and and and this goes beyond soul food to a lot of the food like I grew up with. My grandmother was Hungarian and and a lot of that Eastern European food, right, trying to recreate the sense memory without all of the fat and all of the you know the stuff. That's someone said, we we we uh have a repast, you know, after a funeral, and and we honor their lives by eating what killed them. And that that like stuck with me. So I get the notion right that I guess if Chittlen's is something you've really adored, and that's all I got. Yeah, yeah, thank you. I mean, like we figured out scrapple because I was loved scrapple when I was little, until I found out what was in that and then but there's a mushroom scrapple. That's incredible.
Speaker 5: That's actually good.
Speaker 1: It is incredible.
Speaker 2: There's this place ends well on Spruce I think it's Spruce Street.
Speaker 7: All gosh, it's nice breakfast bore.
Speaker 6: I can get on board with that, the mushroom scrabble, right, So I would eat mushroom scrapple.
Speaker 1: It's good, delicious.
Speaker 5: I don't like regular scrapple, but I can tear up some mushrooms.
Speaker 1: I would imagine you could. You could replicate chitlins with mushrooms. I would think maybe that would Maybe I'll.
Speaker 4: Just call it something completely different, so I could like dissociate.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, I mean we're off in a tangent. But there is that idea of like if you can taste it, you totally did that taste in texture of something and make it a little healthier or keep it plant based, you know, to keep us a little bit yeah, healthier.
Speaker 7: Not eating chitlins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm a hypoprine anyway, talking about I'm not gonna eat chitlins, but I want some began scrapples, right.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, there it was delicious. You know, there's a there was a a sausage. My grandmother made a lot and it was it was called and it's rice and liver and blood delicious. But I found out what was inside. I can't do it anymore. And I realized that's a mind thing. But it was something I thought was wonderful when I was little.
Speaker 4: And then you stop and thinking about it when when you realize that's like part of your family and you're like, how poor were we?
Speaker 1: Like my god, damn, But does that have anything to do with it? I bet you anyway, we have run your time. I cannot thank you all enough for joining.
Speaker 7: Us for time.
Speaker 1: This is a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you've really.
Speaker 1: Put together something special.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: The last performance is on Sunday, the seventeenth of May at two o'clock, but there are several chances in between now and then run don't walk, yeah, to catch an amazing show. Amina Chabrol roch here, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you, thank you for having us.
Speaker 7: Thanks Shaw, this was awesome. This is really great.
Speaker 5: Full Circle is a Never Scured Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scurd Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders