Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm w Eazy Boston Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everyone. It's ten oh seven here on w BZ and Boston. My name is Dan Ray, and we are about to get a late update from the Consul General of Israel to New England, Benjamin Sharoni, also known as Benny Benny Sharoni, Consul General. Welcome to Night's Side, first appearance with us here.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Thank you, Thank you, Dan. Good evening, Good evening to you, good evening to the listeners. Thank you very much for the kind invitation. It's great to be with you tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, you have a what people should understand is you represent the government of Israel here in New England. You're a Consul General. You are in the office of the Minister Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Israel, and you have a a long background, a long career as a diplomat. Tell us a little bit about yourself. How does someone end up as a member of the diplomatic corps in Israel?
Speaker 3: Thank you, it's a great question. I'm a career diplomat. I've been with is Ready Foreign Ministry twenty one years now, and it happened that when I was younger. I went to the university and when I did my master degree, I was looking for something interesting and I saw the television university had just open the registration for master degree in diplomatic studies. I didn't know that much about diplomacy back then. For me, it was a combination of many things that I like to enjoy, history, geography, politics, economy. So I joined and then I met other people and I learned more from them about this ready foreign ministry and what is the way if one wants to be accepted, what's to be admitted. I applied and went through the process and the rest is history.
Speaker 2: Well, if you had an interesting career, because obviously were you worked in Cairo, Egypt for a while as a political affairs officer. You're then with a deputy chief of mission in Hungary and as we say, Buddha Pesche, I was in Budapest a few years ago and learned that the city was bisected by the Danube River. On one side of the city was called Buddha and the other side was called Pesh which you knew, but it was. It was a really interesting historic city to visit. You have spent a lot of time in Jerusalem, you were posted for five years in Washington at the Israeli Embassy in Washington, d C. You went back and served as the Director of Arms Control in Jerusalem, and now you're the Consul general and you've been here just just about six months. So tell us your impressions of New England at this point. And you know you spent a lot of time in Boston, but you also have six states for which you are responsible. What's your impressions of New England? Is this the longest Well, you were in Washington, but we don't really consider Washington part of the country because it's capital the country. New England's really a section of America. I'm just curious your your impressions of our region.
Speaker 3: I love being here, to be sally honest. And when the time came for my family and I to choose our next diplomatic posting abroad New England and Boston, Kingstons, it was no brilliant. It was very clear for us that this is where we would like to be. We visited. In the years that that we used to live and work in Washington, d C. We had opportunity to travel mainly in the East Coast, and I remember the first time that we visited as a family in New England with start in Rhode Island, was back in twenty eighteen. Then we came back a year later for a big trip all over New England and with potass and I remember my wife and I speaking back at the time and saying, look, if we're going to come back to the United States for another diplomatic to let that be this part of America. So we felt back then that this is a wonderful place, and we still think that is the case. And actually it was becoming more and more convinced, you know, the more the more time that we spent here to me, this part of America, this part of the United States, offers a wonderful combination. On one hand, it has a very strong leg deep rooted in American history. Is this is the birthplace of the American Revolution, the birthplace of modern America, the Boston Tea Party, you know, many things that now United States began here. But at the same time, it has another leg, which is all about moderna and future and technology and innovation and the world best universities. And I found that combination to be unique and fascinating at the same time. So we really loving our time here. We enjoy being here in New England.
Speaker 2: And have you have you hit all six states so far? I know that the winter time in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine sometimes can be a little challenging. Have you have you had a chance, I know part of your responsibilities to get in touch with the political leaders. I know you've met with Governor Healey. Have you met the other governors here in New England as well?
Speaker 3: So I met thus far free I think out of the six governors, we are now working on finalizing the list and scheduling meeting with the governors that I haven't met thus far. I in the last five and a half months already they visited five out of the six in Indland state, most of them more than once. And I'm looking forward also to conclude the last state which I haven't visited. Basketball. I'm not going to reveal which one in order not who'll find anyone.
Speaker 2: A dip on that.
Speaker 3: They're all my favorite? You know which one?
Speaker 2: Therefore, of course, well, I understand when we get back, mister Consul General, I want to talk about what is going on in Israel. We have followed this story from Afar, but we've covered the Middle East. Here on Nightside, I think you'll find my audience is a fairly a very sophisticated audience when it comes to world affairs, and I would encourage them if they have questions for you or want to offer some comfort or some support. I'm sure you would appreciate that. We'll open up phone lines. But when we get back, I'd like to talk with you about the latest. I know that this ceasefire is still in its earliest stages, and I just would like to make our audience aware of what is happening, what will be happening this coming weekend, and where this might lead. And we can talk obviously about how we got here after this horrific four hundred and now more than four hundred and seventy days of captivity for those who are still being held hostage in gossip. My name's Dan Ray. This is the Night Side. We're talking with the Consul General of Israel to New England, Benjamin Benny SHARONI will be taking phone calls, so you want to get on quickly six one seven, two five four ten thirty or six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. We're going to learn a lot about what's going on in the Middle East in the next part of the program, So please stay with us and feel free to join the conversation. I wish I was smart enough to ask every question that's on everyone's mind, So whatever questions you have, feel free to join us. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: With me is the Israel's Consul General to New England and Console General SHARONI. We have reached a ceasefire, and I think it's important for everybody to understand that this is not necessarily a lasting piece or the end of the conflict. From what you know, and you know a lot more than about this than any of us. How optimistic are you that that, in this very complex world of conflict in the Middle East, that this ceasefire might actually hold.
Speaker 3: I was started by saying that, you know, when we sew the whole nation was glued to the television screen last Sunday, you know, witnessing the return of Roydon and Emily, of the hostages that have been held by hamasters By for almost four hundred and seventy days. And that was you know a little bit of happiness in a long sixteen months of a nation that has been struggling with a very dramatic event. There is a lot of hope among the Israeli people, and there's a lot of desire to see the completion of the deal when all its phases, and the hope that by the end of the day we have the ability to see everyone, all of the hostages coming back home. It's not a matter of being optimistic or pessimistic. It's a matter of other things that you know, must must happen. It's a reflection of the commitment of Israel, you know, to our people to bring the hostages back.
Speaker 2: It has to be just to set the stage here, there were three women, young women released last week, one of whom had been a member of the IDEF. This Saturday or Sunday, I believe three more hostages are to be released. And I think you mentioned to me yesterday that the identities of the three who will be released this weekend will be disclosed sometime on Saturday, and at the same time, somewhere anywhere between fifty and ninety Hamas prisoners will also be released. That seems a little disproportionate to us as Americans. That for three people, the Hamas is getting back anywhere from fifty sixty maybe in some cases up to seventy or eighty fighters. That is what historically Israel has done because obviously they value the lives of their citizens tremendously. How long will this sort of small release by Hamas three a week continue. I know the ceasefire is for six weeks, but you know, if it's just three a week, that means after six weeks, if the ceasefire isn't continued, only eighteen hostages will have been released. And I always thought the commitment was thirty three from Hamas. Can you reconcile that apparent discrepancy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the deal is a gradual one that has three phases the free The first play is the one that involves release of thirty three of the hostages in a gradual manner. And three were released or the first the first day, and then we're expecting another four, I believe, although these come is coming weaker, and then we are we're waiting for the names to be released by Hamas, maybe as early as tomorrow. Again, I think it's a group. The first day is a gradual one and where every seventh day we have expected to see another three of the hostages coming back. The deal speaks about bringing back the live ones. First. We know, unfortunately that some of the hostages are no longer with us, but the deal includes also returning that the bodies of those who are deceased althody. Unfortunately, that's the first day, the first phase. Again, it's thirty three hostages, and that will involve also releasing from the Israeli side more than seven hundred terrorists, including some that have Israeli blood on their hands, were responsible for horrible murders, plus another more than thousand Palestinians from Gaza who are detained during the defense of October seven. It's a very heavy price. I think the one is going to argue against that. Uh but but but it's a reflection of the moral obligation to do everything that we can in order to bring all of the hostages back.
Speaker 2: Have there and again, our attention here in the country, in this country has been on the inauguration, on the wildfires in California, on the blizzard in Louisiana. You know, our attention span in this country is pretty parapatetic. I mean, we we move from a big story to the next day to the next day have there How can can the ceasefire hold realistically or will there be sporadic violations which both sides will be able to look past if if someone you know on the Hama side, uh, you know, decides to try to disrupt things, that just seems to me to be a very complex achievement to realize that that all guns would be would be silent for six full weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree that, you know, there are a lot of challenges with with with regard to the implementation of that of that DL. Well, there's a strong determination of this really, so I began to do the utmost in order to bring to the release of the hostages, and we want to see that happen. Of course as well is very you know, looking very carefully to making sure that everything every commitment that is being taken by by other sides the ceasfire agreement needs to be fully implemented. And we did, you know, so some delays on the the early days on the first day, those turned out by the end of the day to be of a technical nature that didn't stop the release of the first three hostages. U uh, And I you know, we cannot exclude that there will be further delays down the road, but the desire is definitely to see the implementation of the first phase and seeing during the first phase the thirty three coming back.
Speaker 2: Is the top leadership of Hamas. They are outside of Gaza As I understand it, they are. They're in relative comfort and cutter, correct. So uh, that's where the top what the existing whatever is left of the leadership of Hamas is, Is that correct?
Speaker 3: So? Some some some. They have a very interesting structure where they have an external leadership that sits outside of Gaza Street, but they also have internal apparatuses that within Gaza, and I think up to today, even though after the vast majority of the leadership has been taken out of the equation, still there are some leadership focus leadership centers within Gaza and as far as I can tell, decisions on their side is being taken between the external players and the ones who are inside Gad Street.
Speaker 2: When we get back, I want to talk about the efforts by our government to move this process along. It came at an interesting time where we were transitioning from the Biden administration to the Trump administration, and from where I'm sitting, it seems as if both administrations contributed to the success of this arrangement. It's too bad that it took four hundred and seventy days, but better to get it done at for seventy than to continue. So when we get back, I'd like to just ask you to sort of tell us were there some key moments from the State of Israel's perspective that made this deal work? And then I do want to talk talk about is it possible in the long run that after all that Israel has gone through and the success in terms of eliminating leadership of Hespollah, an Iranian leader, the departure of Asad from Syria, and of course the really the dissolution of Hamas, is it possible possible that for the next few years, once if this ceasefire holds, that we actually could have something that resembles peace in the Middle East. So that'll be my next question. Coming up. On the other side of the news break, my guest is the Consul General of Israel to New England, Benny Benjamin Sharoni. Benny Sharoni has been with us for six months here in New England. Very forthcoming. If you have any questions about what's going on in the Middle East. You were more than welcome to join the conversation. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. It is not often that we get a guest of mister Sharoni's stature, Console General sharoni stature, so please take advantage of speaking directly with someone who knows that part of the world much better than any one of us could ever imagine. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on the Night Side with Dan Ray on w BZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is the Israeli Console General to New England, Benny Sharoni. I ended the last segment asking you to comment, if you will, on what role the US might have played in the final days of these negotiations, which ultimately resulted in a ceasefire, just you know, before one administration left and then another arrived.
Speaker 3: So I will say that the United States have been actively involved since since October seventh, since day one of this horrible last sixteen months and years, was quick to use its assets, both military assets and diplomatic assets. You know, make clear that it's present and it's willing to back up and support as well from day one, and we all know and we all understand that the situation would have looked completely different without US active involvement. Now, I think the years administration had at a lot of effort, you know, during those last sixteen months, with an ongoing attempts to broker agreement which will bring to the release of the hostages. And in this regard, in this point of time, I think we sew efforts from both the outgoing Biden administration and becoming Trump administration, and that along with other reasons is the fact that we are now into the Sits Fire agreement and seeing finally some release of the hostages. So it's a combined effort and US have been active all along the way. And I should say that the people of Israel are a seemly thankful for the United States and a leadership for the ongoing involvement and support, including the efforts to be to the release of the hostages.
Speaker 2: From we're up sitting and I'm not a Middle East expert, but I followed it pretty closely going all the way back to the to the nineteen sixty seven war, in the Sixth Day War, I was born the same year that the state of Israel was founded, so Israel is a couple of months older than I am, and I feel a great kindred spirit towards Israel. My dad fought during World War two and all we taught us as children to always support Israel so that what happened re leading up to World War II could never happen again anywhere. Now. From my perspective, and if I'm wrong, correct me, please, it seems to me that this might be one of those moments in history when the tide could potentially turn in the Middle East. There will always be groups and individuals in the Middle East who cannot countenance the existence of a Jewish state. But it just seems to me that the departure of Asad Iran having been weakened, the success of the Israel Defense Forces in conjunction with the United States last spring from those horrific including ballistic missile attacks from Iran, the successful defense of Israel. What has happened to Hamas, what has happened to Hesbelah? Even today, I believe that hoodies Uh said that they were going to I think engage in some form of a ceasefire. Our conditions uniquely positive for maybe some years here of reconstruction and reconciliation possible in the Middle East? Have we reached one of those magic moments, mister Consul General, or am I just being too too polygyannish their look?
Speaker 3: I'm coming from a land of the profits. That's one point that you don't want to be be a profit when it comes to Middle East politics. I agree with you. You know, the situation do offer some prospects, and it looks as if, finally, after a couple of good decades that the whole region was under subject to many interference from Iran network of proxies, we are finally at a much better position. From an Israeli perspective, we have been surrounded by years, during years by by a network of Iran in process. This is like an octicus with with hands with tentacles all around us, with Hispala in Lebanon, their support for a sad, murderous regime in Syria, Hamas and uh In Guds, the hoodies in Yen and Iranian involvement in Iraq, and true yes, nowadays I think when you look at the Northern Front and you see his ballad defeated and the situation the seats fire there, which hopefully will will last, although we are more than willing to respond with both to any violation. You see how Hamas is now much weaker, and I think the run in journalist of the serious blow over the last couple of months. So he do offer a couple of good prospects for the future of the Middle East, but that you know, there are still things that that needs to be done. And I think I just I want to highlight this is today. It's Iran is important factor Dell, because we still continue to see Iran's ambitions on the nuclear front, on the original front, and those needs to be addressed before the whole region can move into a much stable situation. And and also Hamas. Hamas suffered the serious blow. But we have to bear in mind that the rule of Hamas of a no pathway for Please, it's only a continuation of conflict, suffering instability for both the Palestines and the Israeli The removal, the complete removal of Homans, it's not really an Israeli interest, it's a regional necessity without Hamas, only without commands that could be rebuilt us. It's only that without Hamas gus in israelis would begin to envision a different future. So that that's that's definitely the and that's something that will need to be addressed, not just by Israel, but also by the international community, because we do have an opportunity here.
Speaker 2: Where where could Hamas relocate to? You know, if if they were to leave Gaza, and I'm not sure they were willingly leave Gaza, but if they were to leave Gaza, is there a safe haven for Hamas somewhere else in the Middle East with removed from removed physically from Israel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Hamas leadership through the years found shelter and establish headquarters in different Middle Eastern state but also established presidence in not just in the Middle East, also in Asia in other places. Our hope is that there's not going to be a single country that would be willing to accept this group, this murtherers terroist group and allow them to re emerge. And I think it is not just you know, Israel, but I think it is it is up collectively, you know, the the international community to put pressure on state UH not to allow them to absorb or to host Hamas leadership and allows them to continue to UH to work from from any any given to it.
Speaker 2: Theory is it is it realistic to think that they would be willing to leave Gaza and basically you know, settle in several countries, you know, and and for them to separate their leadership. How do you convince them to do that? I mean, it's that seems to be a task for diplomats who would be extraordinary. I mean, what what is would what would be the interest for them too to leave UH and and to and to split up their organization.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's a wonderful question, and I think you're touching, you know, some of the challenges there. I would say though that the most genius among them were already eliminated and taken again out of the equation. The majority of mask pop leadership is no longer well, no longer not seeing Woll not death and not others. Yes, there is a like second, second level and third level and knew who are who are emerging, But this is not the same harms that used to know in terms of internal strength comparing to whether the situation before October seventh. So part of the challenges is, you know, use a lot of pressure, use a lot of diplomatic and other tools in order to make sure that those who actually left of har mass leadership will not have the ability to rebuild Hamas and let Homas re emerge. Now is one hundred percent determined to not allow Hamas get back and rebuild its capability and have again the potential to threaten as well or to contemplate and God forbid to perform things like what happened on the field of seven.
Speaker 2: Why why not? This is a question out of left field, And I'll lend then we'll go to a break, and then we'll get some phone calls. Why not allow them to move lock, stock and barrel to some place like Yemen where they're far away from Israel.
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: And if they do start to move out of Yemen, they can be dealt with at that time.
Speaker 3: Or is that?
Speaker 2: And then am I just whistling past the graveyard as we would say here in America? And that's unrealistic. I'm just saying, put them in a country where where they might have to compete with some other bad guys, and let the bad guys skill each other off, if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I'm a little.
Speaker 2: Tedious when I say this, but I just didn't know if it might might be it's just a thought go ahead.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, you know, we're without getting to be whether this is you know, a possibility or not. The fact I think this is not going to solve the problem, you know, as long as Hamas Hamas, you know, has a very clear agenda, and you know part of Hamas' agenda, I mean, you know, it's stipulated clearly in the mandate to bring to the complete destruction of the status Israel. And they will continue to do that even if they're not going to be you know, in God, even if they're going to be in someplace else, they will continue to work, they in or it in order to bring to the instruction of Israel. Now we're not going to let them, you know, let them do that. We're not going to let them know, let that happen. But but if if you're just relocating the whole problem to some someplace else, I don't think it's going to solve the problem. It will take you know, they got a serious blow from as well, and I think it is now the time for you know, a global frond that will assert a lot of diplomatic pressure also, not just some Hamas because some of them, you know, it's not that you know, many countries speak with them or anything, but just to establish a global front, well most of the countries of the world, hopefully all of them as well. We're not willing to accept you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, My guest is the Consul General of Israel to New England, Benjamin Benny. Sure, we will get the phone calls if you want to get in down right now six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty or six one seven nine thirty. Will be right back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nights Sin Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is is Israel's Consul General to New England. Benny Sharon, Benjamin Benny, Sharon. Let me go to David in San Francisco. David, you are next on Nightside.
Speaker 4: With taking my call and counselor Sharon Sharon SARONI yeah, okay, thank you. I want to thank you. I want to just compliment you and uh and on your your courage and your hard work of getting this, uh this resolved, because you must have the hardest diplomatic job on Earth, I mean, and uh, I just want to well, first welcome you to the United States and UH and UH God bless you and in your efforts and UH counselor. As a complete outsider, I've been following this UH situation for forty years. I'll be eighty half my life. And first I'd like to have your thoughts and as an outsider, the only solution, I say, permanent solution is a two space solution. Could you please give me your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: So, thank you very much, David, and I hope everything is okay in San Francisco, and I want to thank you for your kind words and blessing. If I agree, it's a job, but for us, it's a necessity.
Speaker 2: And this is.
Speaker 3: Something that it's not just a job. It's something that I truly believe in. And this is what gives me the power and the energy and the motivation to continue to do do that. Well, you know, solutions, Yeah, we would all like to see, you know, a permanent solution hopefully will get there a certain point. But that that's not easy. That's easier said than done because in order to do that, there are a couple of elements that needs to be addressed, including Iran, including hamas and other elements. Though in the equation that I just highlighted, that there are others, and it also involves having a legitimate partner. Well, the Israel can can you know, fit together and discuss the future of our region and our neighbors, And that unfortunately hasn't been the case over the last couple of years. So the future is there. That it also calls for the right partners and the right circumstances to allow us, all of us, to move forward.
Speaker 4: Thanks Sir David, appreciate you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: So so I know that there many of the political leaders in the United States talk constantly about a two state solution. I remind my listeners whenever we talk about a two state solution that the nation of Israel is approximately the same size as the state of New Jersey. And how realistic is it that Israel should be expected to give up a certain portion of their limited geography in effect to buy peace. I mean, I know that that a two state solution of difference has been offered and Hamas has always said no, But is it conceivable that a two state solution is even possible within this small geographic area.
Speaker 3: So I'll tell you from an Israeli perspective, The question where we're asking also for looking at you know, potential you know, future settlements and arrangements, is whether such arrangement, so any kind of future deal will be enough in order to provide Israel safety and security. You know Israel demonstrator that is willing to give up on some territories. That this is something that we did back in nineteen seventy nine with a disagreement with Egypt. We completely withdrew from from Gaza two decades ago, and with a desire to find a deal that will provide also the Israelies the safety and security and existence that we all hoping to get. Now. Unfortunately, what we get in exchange is just motivle more threats, more attacks, and you know, things like October seven, and that doesn't really create a lot of desire and appetite among Israelis to go to a future hypothetical. Tests of our lessons demonstrate thus far is that this is what we get by the end of the day. So I don't think that it's really ruled out any future solution. But when when we are sitting down and discussing the future of the Middle East, it is our responsibility as a state and as the leadership of the state to ensure our people that in any future agreement that involves not just our relations with with our immediate neighbors, but the entirety of the Middle East, the people of Israel can live in safe and secure with good relations with their neighbor And you know, we I was well the time that while I was serving in Washington, the Abrima Courts were signed, and I was there on the loans of the White House. The date was signed, a very historical moment, and to me, this is a demonstration of when you when you reach a deal that works for everyone involved, well that deally lentlemented and the deal brings you know, many good things and a lot of hope for everyone is involved. To us, that was a very strong demonstration of things that you know might actually work.
Speaker 2: But again, yeah, yeah, let us hope that one by one some of the other nations in the Middle East, including Saudi Arabia, can join the Abraham Accords. Obviously, the administration that that initiated them has now returned to the White House, and I'm optimistic about that, and the larger the group who have signed on to the Abraham Accords, I think there would be direct relationship to the possibility of a lasting peace. Uh, mister Consul General would just flat out a time. We could have done five hours. And I hope I can get you in the not too distant future and uh and talk with more of my listeners. I dominated the questions tonight, but they were questions I think that that my listeners wanted to wanted to hear answers to. I just thank you for your time and uh, and I thank you, Thank God for the state of Israel, and thank you so much, my friend, and I look forward to meeting you at some point in the not to distant future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you very much for this kind invitation. It has been my honor and I truly enjoyed our conversation. I want to thank you for doing that and for hosting and for your hard work. And I'm also looking forward for more opportunities to speak with you, to speak with your with your audience, and come back again and discuss a whole scope of issues, including the challenging ones but also a good one.
Speaker 2: Yes, we will. Hopefully there will be more good than dad going forward.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Even the worst of events can come some hope here here God, So General, thank you so much for your time, and we will talk again in the not to distant future.
Speaker 3: Thank you, my friend, thank you, thank you, thank you, and good night, thank you.
Speaker 2: All Right, the eleven o'clock news awaits, and I'm not sure we're going to do on the other side, but I'll be there for you, coming back on nightside.