Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. We're here to cut through the noise, dig into your sources, and get you the key insights fast. You know, when you picture cybersecurity, what usually comes up. It's that classic image, right, the hacker hoody up, dark room screens blinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that intense image of someone furiously typing code. And that picture suggests security is this really technical, almost hidden thing that only a few experts get exactly. But that core idea that it's all about technology, well, that's kind of led us down a tricky path. We keep trying to patch software when maybe the real issue is somewhere else entirely right.
Speaker 1: Because the source material we're diving into today argues pretty strongly that most security problems they're not tech problems at their heart, they're.
Speaker 3: Human problems, ave for you. And yeah, so our.
Speaker 1: Mission here is to really get that shift in thinking security is a behavior, it's not just a skill you learn, like tying your shoes. And we'll do that by looking at the first three sort of foundational habits you need.
Speaker 2: And to really frame why this human angle is so crucial. Let's jump back in time, way back like six hundred years. Okay, think about Johann Gutenberg.
Speaker 1: Gutenberg printing press guy right, mid fourteen hundreds.
Speaker 4: That's the one.
Speaker 2: So he gets his funding, you know, from a venture capitalist back then he perfects his invention, ready to go. Then just two years later, boom, he's being sued by his own backer.
Speaker 3: Sued why what happened?
Speaker 2: An insider threat, his most trusted employee a getting Peter.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so Peter was what leaking info.
Speaker 2: Totally feeding financial details, trade secrets, everything back to the VC. And then supposedly he even destroyed key partnership documents, sabotage man. So Gutenberg ended up broke, died penniless, his world changing invention basically snatched away in a hostile takeover, all because of betrayed trust.
Speaker 3: That's incredible, and.
Speaker 2: The lesson there is just so stark, isn't it. The security problems we wrestle with now, insider threats, stealing secrets, they're the same human problems from six centuries ago.
Speaker 1: Detect changes, the vulnerability stays the same. It's about people.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So that brings us nicely into part one, this core shift in thinking. If security is about people, what about that classic model, you know, the three pillars? People process technology.
Speaker 4: Right, that's what security pros often talk about.
Speaker 1: But wait, if people write the processes and people build and use the technology, then isn't it all people?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 1: The Source seems to argue they're maybe the only link that matters.
Speaker 2: Well, the stats certainly lean that way. It's something like, what ninety five percent of all incidents traced back to a human element.
Speaker 1: It's staggering ninety five percent.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And yeah, traditional thinking sometimes dismisses people as the weakest link. But if you look at it through this behavioral lens, maybe they're the only link we can actually truly.
Speaker 1: Improve, which explains why so much awareness training kind of falls flat. It treats security like a skill, like learning a Gulf swing. You can read all the tips, keep your head down, follow through, but just knowing it doesn't mean you can do it under pressure.
Speaker 4: That's a great analogy. The source had one too, about a manager.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the filing cabinet one exactly.
Speaker 2: You ask them about security, says oh yeah, physical files always locked, right, But then you look and the key is just dangling there in the lock.
Speaker 1: He knows the skill lock the cabinet, but the actual behavior taking the key out, making it routine that's missing.
Speaker 2: So the answer has to be habit. We need less code debugging maybe, and more insights from neuroscientists psychologists.
Speaker 1: Because security is a behavior. It's not just something you know. It's something you do consistently.
Speaker 2: And you can't just force behavior change overnight. Mark Twain had that great line, right, Yeah, you can't just toss habits out the window.
Speaker 1: You have to coax them down the stairs, one step at a time exactly.
Speaker 2: So getting better security means using these frameworks for changing behavior, like these nine cybersecurity habits we're starting to unpack.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into habit one. Literacy, building that foundation of knowledge. I remember earlier in my career, we were always playing whack a mole. You know, ransomware pops up, Quick train everyone on ransomware.
Speaker 4: Right, then fishing gets bad.
Speaker 1: So focus on phishing emails. We were just constantly giving people fish, not teaching them how to fish.
Speaker 2: And that's where making it practical comes in. The Girl Scouts approach is brilliant here.
Speaker 3: Oh the merit badges, Yeah, tell us about that.
Speaker 2: They use agile methods, basically breaking down really complex stuff into tiny, doable relevant pieces.
Speaker 1: Like teaching kindergartener's binary code.
Speaker 3: How do you even do that?
Speaker 2: Instead of ones and zeros, which is abstract, they use blue and yellow beads on a bracelet. Suddenly it's tangible. They get it.
Speaker 3: That's clever.
Speaker 2: And for slightly older kids, brownies, they teach networking by passing a ball of yarn around a circle.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: So it shows the connections visually exactly.
Speaker 2: And it shows how easily something malicious like malware could travel along those connections. Simple, practical, relevant.
Speaker 1: So literacy isn't just facts. It's two things. First, know thyself, what are your critical assets, your crown jewels?
Speaker 4: Right, what do you actually need to protect?
Speaker 1: And second, know thy enemy and for that you need a framework like the cyber kill chain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those seven steps attackers often follow reconnaissance, weaponization, delivery.
Speaker 1: You don't need to memorize every single step.
Speaker 2: Name, No, not at all. The key is understanding. They have a process, a map.
Speaker 1: They need to follow, and if you know their map.
Speaker 2: You just need to break the chain at one point, block the reconnaissance maybe or stop the delivery. One break and the attack.
Speaker 1: Fails, you win, which brings up a really interesting point in cybersecurity.
Speaker 3: Things change.
Speaker 1: So fast attacks of all of daily So how useful is memorizing facts?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: Not very in the long run, it's about tactical literacy. Think about a manual Lascar.
Speaker 1: The chess champ held the title for what twenty seven years?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he famously spent decades deliberately forgetting information.
Speaker 1: Forgetting what he believed.
Speaker 2: Having a small amount of well organized knowledge plus the ability to figure things out was way more powerful than just memorizing old games or openings.
Speaker 1: So it's not about having all the answers memorized.
Speaker 2: It's about having the framework to find the answers you need when you need them, like the Socratic method, always questioning, always learning what's relevant now.
Speaker 1: But there's a barrier here, isn't there this cursive knowledge thing?
Speaker 4: Ah? Yes?
Speaker 2: The Stanford research experts just they assume everyone knows what they know.
Speaker 3: They overestimate the baseline.
Speaker 2: Knowledge massively, and that makes communication incredibly hard. How do you find common ground when you can't even agree on the starting point. It's a huge hurdle insecurity awareness.
Speaker 1: So if just knowing facts is hard to apply and even harder to communicate, maybe the answer isn't more knowledge, but questioning the systems we rely on.
Speaker 2: That's perfect lead in to habit too skepticism.
Speaker 1: Right, we're talking about trust here, or rather not trusting. The zero trust idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pioneered by John Kinderveg. He looked at the old model, you know, strong walls, but once you're inside, everything's trusted.
Speaker 3: Castle and mote approach.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and he said that's broken because once the bad guys get inside, that.
Speaker 1: Parameter chicken roam free.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: His big insight was that trust itself is the vulnerability. We shouldn't inherently trust something just because it's inside.
Speaker 1: He had that great line, didn't he People aren't on the network, packets are yes.
Speaker 2: Don't trust based on location.
Speaker 4: He argued.
Speaker 2: Firewalls should basically ship with everything blocked, all ports labeled untrust by default.
Speaker 3: That's a total flip.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of that Reagan quote, the Russian.
Speaker 4: Proverb trust but verify.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kindervag said, that's basically admitting you shouldn't have trusted in the first place.
Speaker 2: If you have to verify, it kind of undermines the trust part, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: It does, But okay, here's a tricky part. Psychologically we hear all the time in security maybe unofficially that people are the weakest link. That sounds pretty cynical.
Speaker 2: It does, and it clashes with things like the Pygmalion effect from psychology, where.
Speaker 1: High expectations actually lead to better performance.
Speaker 2: Exactly if you constantly tell people they're the weakest link, mm, maybe they'll live down to that expectation. To actually improve security behavior, you have to believe change is possible. You can't be purely cynical.
Speaker 1: So how do you square that? Be super skeptical of systems but optimistic about people.
Speaker 2: That feels like a contradiction, It sounds like one, but the source calls that sweet spot good judgment. It's holding both ideas at once. High trust in the potential of people your colleagues can learn and adopt better habits, but high skepticism for everything digital, the packets, the emails, the requests, because trusting those blindly is the vulnerability.
Speaker 1: So skepticism in practice means what slowing down?
Speaker 2: Slowing down? Yeah, calculating the risk, like a little mental cost or tax before you click or approve or connect.
Speaker 1: And we see the need for this even outside of pure cybersecurity, right like dealing with salespeace, Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, sales tactics often mirror social engineering. They have those probing reconnaissance questions.
Speaker 1: So what kind of firewalls are you running currently exactly?
Speaker 2: Or they name drop other clients to build authority, just like Fisher might pretend to be from Microsoft.
Speaker 1: Or your bank, or the calendar invite trick. That one's sneaky. Explain that vendor sends you a meeting invite, but they see see like five of your colleagues. So you see it, you see your team is on it, and you just accept. You assume someone else okayate it or requested it, exploiting.
Speaker 2: That natural tendency to trust when others are involved. It bypasses your own skepticism.
Speaker 1: Check gets their foot in the digital door without really asking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and those kinds of tactics should set off alarm bells. Slow down, be skeptical, verify whether it's a salesperson or a potential.
Speaker 3: Fisher, which leads us right into habit three.
Speaker 2: Vigilance staying alert.
Speaker 1: The source frames this like the where's Waldo challenge? Finding that one specific thing in a sea of distractions.
Speaker 2: Right, vigilance is impassive. It takes effort, it's a state of mind, really, and it.
Speaker 4: Involves two steps.
Speaker 3: Okay, what are they?
Speaker 2: First, you have to filter, cut out the noise, silence, the constant pings and notifications, at least temporarily.
Speaker 1: Get rid of the distractions.
Speaker 3: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: Second, you have to actively scan. You're not just daring blankly. You're looking for something specific, red flags, anomalies, waldo.
Speaker 1: People have actually studied finding WALDO like mathematically.
Speaker 2: Apparently so, a programmer named Randy Olsen found the optimal search path start bottom left, move up diagonally like an inverted big dipper roughly.
Speaker 1: Ah, The point being, it's not random staring, it's a structured scan.
Speaker 2: It's applying an intentional method.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how do we apply that intentionality in our daily work? We need practical ways to boost vigilance when we need it. The source mentioned slow down and frown.
Speaker 2: Yeah it sounds a bit funny, but there's neuroscience behind it.
Speaker 1: Really, how does frowning help?
Speaker 2: Well, think about smiling. It releases endorphins, makes you feel relaxed, which actually lowers vigilance.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Frowning conversely, is thought to send a little signal to your amygdala, the brain's thread detection center. It basically says hmm, environment might be unsafe and that naturally ramps up your alertness, your vigilance.
Speaker 1: So the advice is literally, if you're reading through emails, maybe try frowning or at.
Speaker 2: Least separate the reading an analysis part from the responding part. Read with a skeptical, maybe even slightly frowning focus. Then maybe relax and smile when you craft the reply. That physical act might shift your mental state.
Speaker 1: Interesting, But what about things that just drain our vigilance in no matter our facial expression, like time of day.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, timing is huge. Daniel Pink's research on chronotypes.
Speaker 4: Is key here.
Speaker 3: Our brains aren't consistent throughout the day.
Speaker 2: Not at all for most people. Analytical skills, the kind you need for vigilance peak in.
Speaker 1: The morning, and the source had some stark data on this from phishing tests.
Speaker 2: Extremely stark. Employees were eight times more likely to click a bad link late in the afternoon compared to the morning.
Speaker 1: Eight times when exactly was the danger zone.
Speaker 2: The clicks spiked significantly between three wards zero pm and five points zero pm. That afternoon slump is a real vulnerability window.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's incredibly actionable. Knowing that you can plan your.
Speaker 2: Day right, do the task that need high alertness, scrutinizing weird emails, checking financial reports in the morning when you're.
Speaker 1: Sharpest, and save the more routine, less critical stuff for that afternoon danger zone.
Speaker 2: Exactly, manage your energy and attention.
Speaker 1: So, wrapping this up, what's the big picture for you, the listener, We've hit three key habits literacy, having the right framework, skepticism, questioning trust itself, and vigilance managing your focus in timing.
Speaker 2: And the common thread is it's all about behavior changing how we act, not just buying another security tool.
Speaker 1: Definitely, And the final thought we wanted to leave you with it connects back to vigilance. How hard is it to stay vigilant against an enemy you can't see a nameless, faceless threat.
Speaker 2: It's really difficult psychologically, which is why there was value historically in giving enemies a face a name.
Speaker 1: Like in security operations centers when I started naming threats heart bleed, fancy bear, want to cry Exactly.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just for cool names. It gave the team something concrete to rally against.
Speaker 4: It boosted engagement.
Speaker 1: And in one case mentioned it actually helped triple the security budget because leadership finally saw the enemy they were fighting.
Speaker 4: It made the threat real.
Speaker 1: So getting these habits right, literacy, skepticism, vigilance, it's foundational. Maslow puts safety and security right near the base of his hierarchy, didn't he It's essential for reaching your potential.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So the challenge is to start noticing your own habits. Apply these frameworks, and the sources suggest, you know, maybe find a coach or a mentor if you need help. Making security a collective behavioral effort, that's how we really move the needle.